Speaker 1: Forever.
Speaker 2: Hi, do do do do do? Hi? Guys, you know we're here and I'm so excited to chat. Wow, it's it's a new it's a new day.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna I'm gonna try to match your level of enthusiasm. Yeah, excited to be here, a girl, it's like a morning show. I love you. I feel more like Whoopy Goldberg on the view. I well, that's what we're talking about today. We'll be right back after the break. Whoopy don't be playing no games?
Speaker 3: Is Sidney Megan McCain.
Speaker 2: Sydney's no, Sydney's who's the young blonde one that's not on the show no more?
Speaker 3: Oh that was Oh my god, it was some young blonde? Was the Republican?
Speaker 2: Fucking her? Are you serious? Girl? You don't even know who were talking about? I don't exactly don't know her. Well, I don't want to be anybody who's not on the show anymore. So how about that? Yeah, but whoop, he's like grizzled whoop, he's like warfit whoopy Vina noam. She was saying when Barbara Walters was on the show, I'm not going nowhere. Well, so then I'm old Wendy Williams, and you're new Wendy Williams. Like she's happy and she dating and she getting doctor dig and I'm Wendy. When she was like in denial about her man, she remember, she was like bitter and angry and relapsed. She was going through it, and then she broke up with her man and she's free. Yeah, She's taking pictures with Ninni Leeks and whatnot. She's hanging out with Black China, talking about my friend. She's going to the strip club with her son and teaching him how to make it rain. I mean, Wendy, I guess this is like new I guess we love new Wendy. But it also could be she could also be putting on because you know how you just try to approve your people, like I am doing well, Yeah, but I am happy. But she does seem lighter. She seems more because she was bitter and she was like not nice to her guests on the show, and like you could tell she the show wasn't fun to watch because she was going through stuff at home. And then when she it came out that he cheated and he had another baby, and blah blah blah blah, you know, yeah, you feel a way about it. But now she's fun to watch again. She feels lighter and looser, even if she's not one hundred percent okay and she's not happy, even if she's lonely, she's more fun to watch. Yeah, she's like, how much that that nigga she used to be with? How whatever weight he is? That's how I feel like three ten Yeah, she's three hundred pounds lighter. That's what it is. Yeah, that's like it left to see it, left to see you. Yeah, yes, you as well? You you you you you you. I don't know what song that is. I don't know. We just made it remixed S and M it's you. Yeah that song Marie where you're an expert in this week what's up? Well, I'm not prepared, but that is your Yeah, that's their undeniably regularly experting unprepared. I was an expert at forcing myself to get out of the house this week. You did. I did. I forced myself. We talked about it, and you did it well. I don't know how many people can agree with this, but when you live by yourself, you'd be like, I don't actually have to be outside, like I can be home in my bubble for as long as I need to be, because I don't have anything that's making me go out. I can eat here, I can listen to my music here. I could be but naked here. I could ignore the mailman here, like that's what I do now. I can smoke weed here. I don't have to open the windows a hot box myself. But I feel like the days were starting to blend together, and I was like, well, what did I do today? And who did I interact with today? And what deadlines did I miss today? So I forced myself to like get up in the morning, get dressed like I was going to a real job, and then like leave my house to get some work done, like sit at a coffee shop, you know, drink a little carrot beat juice, green juice, you know what I mean, and like do some work. And I did that only two days in a row. But you know, on the third day, on the third day, Jesus rested. You had to have me time self care, right, But I'm gonna go back to it this week. Sydney like called me to be like, hey, friend, I'm going to work. Are you out of the house? So like that you know are you.
Speaker 3: That's a good friend. I would love that.
Speaker 2: You need somebody to text you in the morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I feel the same way, like not being able to leave the house.
Speaker 2: I'll call you. I would call you tomorrow like, hey, yeah, what time do you need because I feel like if I'm out of the house like in the morning, like nine ten.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well because like I need to be here at once, so I know that I won't do anything.
Speaker 2: Until you have to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I should be doing something stuff.
Speaker 2: So City's gonna call me tomorrow and I'll call you. Yeah, all right, beautyful, They're beautiful, and then you'll call Sidney the Circle of Life. Yeah that I'm I love that for you. Thank you. You deserve it. Get out of that beautiful house. You have no that couch? Wait, so I mean then it got really cold on Thursday and I was like, yeah, it's still like twenty nine degrees, so I should stay home. But tomorrow I'm gonna get like a fl my house with like all the groceries that I like, so that I will never have to leave my house again. Good. Thanks, you deserve it. Thanks was that expert in h running myself to the very end to the Nibs, to the nib Nubs Nubs, the Nibby Nubs nbs.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like worked every day and then I caught a flight to LA had to shoot something, was there for eight hours, and got back on the plane. Then went to work the next day, straight to work. St Well I went home. Yeah, well you went home, but you went to work and then I went to work. You know, get them hours in guys, Hi, you know you gotta still get baithed. Well, what time did you leave? What time did you catch a flight out on Thursday? If you went to work and then Thursday seven am, then got on a flight at twelve thirty am Friday morning, got back at like eight thirty, went to my house, got back to the office at like ten thirty, No, like twelve thirty till thirty one. Yeah, cause she was on the phone with me and I was like, Sis, you got worked, Yeah, yeah, I got said yeah. Then I had to leave that early to go to three shows that night, Bloomingdale's Bellhouse for Larry Owens, which was fucking fantastic, and then Union Hall for Rachel Sennate and Bomb. Bloomingdale's did great at a bell House and it was off at Union Hall, so like, yeah, I run myself ragged, so I'm not gonna have the best of best nights. But it's a lesson learned that It's like, you got to sit the fuck down, get some rash. Yeah, you can't do it all. You qu You went to work three days in a row. Quught a flight at seven o'clock in the morning. On the fourth day, worked an eight hour thing in La Yep, quarter Fly Sydney. Stupid, You're gonna die. Dumb, you gonna die. And you know I don't eat no vegetable, and I know you don't drink no water, and I know you ain't brilliant. So don't even talk to God. Nowhere near are you there? God? It's me? What is a prayer? God's like, who'll be a new phone? Who it is? I'll be texting the devil and everything we had a check, gifts and whatnot. The Devil will be sending you those the face the white dude that blinks a lot. When it's like, that's what we're doing today, he'd be like, all, exactly what it is. See you in a couple of days. Our next guest is holier than that is going to church right after this episode. He's done the podcast before and y'all loved his episode. He was our Job's expert, and now he's here to talk about his new job. Okay, the one that he's not gonna get fired from his last job. It's our friend, our cousin, and yours Andrew McGill, our teaching expert. Hey Andrew, Andrew, and Andrew and the building and Andrew t shirt. Black Andrew has a shirt on that says Andrew on it and white.
Speaker 3: Andrew is wearing a sweater.
Speaker 2: But I guess it's only Andrew will only speak to you today.
Speaker 3: What do you have your name on your shirt?
Speaker 1: It's a streetwear brand in Miami, and they like do cool stuff. Oh okay, a couple of tea.
Speaker 2: Doesn't it looks like very plain black tea with your name on it.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, that's that's what it is.
Speaker 2: You said, this is this is street brand, streetwear.
Speaker 1: But this is what this is. This is what they is, what they sell.
Speaker 2: What the kids wearing. But you said that they sell cool stuff, and I'm like, what's so coolikes? You know, we just got our merch. He has a lot of opinions about the people's merch. Well, it's like, well let me feel the fabric lives. That's not gonna work for us.
Speaker 1: I was dressing to go here, and I was like, man, they're gonna say something about something I'm wearing.
Speaker 2: Because the last time you did the podcast, you did it in sweat shorts, in light gray sweat shorts that season. No, it was summertime.
Speaker 1: You know what was it was?
Speaker 2: It was like two years ago. American apparel, sweat short, American parrel is dead.
Speaker 1: Before they before they died. Still I still have.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Andrew, tell us a little bit about you know how you got to be a teacher, because when we last spoke, you were he worked at V I m he worked at like a bagel place? He worked at? Where else did he work? You were a chef?
Speaker 1: I was a lot line line cook link?
Speaker 2: What else were you?
Speaker 1: Line cook? I was a buster. I was a delivery guy. I was a bellman.
Speaker 2: We were a dog walker.
Speaker 1: I did walk occasional.
Speaker 2: Dog, occasional dogs, part time dog.
Speaker 1: Part time dogs. I wasn't I wasn't fully on staff, but I was. They would hit you up, they would hit me. I'm like, you're trying to walk this dog.
Speaker 2: They like, what's your.
Speaker 1: W y D?
Speaker 2: You were task rabbiting it up? Did you ever task rabbit?
Speaker 1: No? I was task rabbit before task grabb it Like a homie would hit me up and he'd be like, yo, I got a friend in office that needs you take down some paintings. Oh okay, people pay for that. Oh they pay a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Andrew, I need I need to pick up a table this week. You available to pick up this table?
Speaker 1: Yeah? We just hit me with the dates, the hours that you go, the window of window through.
Speaker 2: Where is this table? I don't know. I have to figure out if I want. I want a round table in my kitchen like something. Maybe that's this size, But I feel like I want to get a white round table. Or should I get a black round table? What are we thinking white? I think white? M Anyway, it's a Craigslist situation. Well, Andrew, you've been through so many jobs and now you have one that you plan on keeping. Why is that?
Speaker 1: Though? Like?
Speaker 2: Why why is this the one?
Speaker 1: I think? Teaching is just fun? It's not. It doesn't seem like a job. I think I think all my other jobs it felt like work. This is like mad fun. I go into work, laugh, crack jokes. It's hard, it's it's definitely tough. It's my second year.
Speaker 2: But yeah, what's so hard about it?
Speaker 1: Everything? Kids suck, kids kids, Some kids sucks. Some kids are amazing. But every no day is the same.
Speaker 2: No day is say it doesn't feel like repetition. Now.
Speaker 1: Every one day I'll go in and I'll be like, yo, it is the best day ever. I'll leave. Next day I'll go and I'll be like, Yo, these kids were willing to day what happened? And I was like, I left everything prepared, whatever about And the kids just be like, yo, we're not with it, mister McGill. We don't want to.
Speaker 2: Mister McGill. You're like the same age as them. How are you teaching them? You look like this, I.
Speaker 1: Know which is the worst. The first year I was I was teaching in the school. Uh.
Speaker 2: I would get stopped by security guards.
Speaker 1: They'd be like, yo, go to class. I'd be like, I work here, my man, and I had to keep my id on me. I got yelled at.
Speaker 2: By the by a power professional lunch lady one of.
Speaker 1: The college uh like women, the women in the college office, because I was there playing basketball because we played basketball on Thursday nights all that.
Speaker 2: With the students, the teachers. The teachers played basketball. That's an l O L. I wouldn't see. I'm like, how you gonna teach me? You be traveling? I can see your knees. Yeah, you so you'd be traveling. You you don't even know how to's foul foul.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We practiced for the senior faculty basketball game. We're gonna we're gonna get them this year.
Speaker 2: The senior faculty. Andrew, you're the same age as the kids. What's the give us some of the ages of the other faculty that you're playing with.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: So we got a couple of young guys. So it's me my boy, who's like twenty seven. The guy is twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Okay, good knees.
Speaker 1: You gotta like four twenty seven year old guys. How do you rest? I'm twenty six? And then the next is like he's like forty one. Dude's like fifty six.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's the coaches.
Speaker 1: One dude's like thirty seven okay, And those are like the reserves after week. So we just so we really got to hit them hard before we let these old niggas come in and blow the lead for us, thank you, because they don't practice at all and they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they got mortgages and wives to make happy, but.
Speaker 1: They follow a lot this. I love to seen your faculty basketball game because it's low key. The only time you could like hit a kid.
Speaker 2: On the Oh my god, I love to see. So wait, you have all these people who are like much older than you are. They are they kind of like jaded with schooling or I.
Speaker 1: Was thinking about it. You have. I think when you become a teacher and you've been working for like twenty years, there's three things you could either become jaded and like you'd be like, I hate this job. I'm ready for retirement. There's one woman go to the office and she's like days of today, like I've been doing this for twenty eight years, trying to get out of here, and she just wait for and that pension will kick in, that arp is hitting boy, and there's but she's they're all still great teachers, but like you've been doing it for a long time, everything changes, regulations change, you have to teach this way, you have to do this, do that, or you could be The second one is like you can really love your job and you can work on it and you can be the best and you can Yeah.
Speaker 2: Miss the Clerk, free, Miss the Club, Free. Miss the Club said yes, okay.
Speaker 1: And then the third one is like you could just be not good, but like you just kind of like coast coast, your coast and your whatever. You're like, you're fine, You're like, this is not really what I want to do.
Speaker 2: That would be me as would definitely it's wheeling in the TV. Yeah, we're gonna watch a film. Yeah, we're going to watch Planet Earth. They were like, uh, Miss Washington, you spelled that wrong again. I was like, like detention for everybody encyclopedia, like it was really using that in a sentence anyway. He's like, well, that's what auto correct is on your phone. You shouldn't be on your phone anyway. You're you're you're in detention out. Okay. So when you go to so is it crazy how much kids are on their phones now in school or do you like put them in a basket in the front of the classroom, Like how does that work? Is it like a Chappelle comedy show where you lock up the phones? Like what's good?
Speaker 1: Because I think it's I think we try to because once you leave the school, you're still going to use technology, so we try to like incorporate it, Like how do you use technology to help you better your schooling? So it's like, Yo, download the encyclopedia, download the source app and put it on your phone and all right, if you want to check something up, just use your phone, like you have really.
Speaker 2: In class if they be texting all.
Speaker 1: Day, not texting, but like if you're like, yo, I need you to look up this for this, Like if you're doing the research thing, you don't got to like, okay, go to the libraries. Like, no, you have the phone.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of apps that I gotta download. That means I gotta have a lot of storage.
Speaker 1: I mean the kids, but we tell them sometimes if we're writing a paper, but you don't have the computer in front of you, you have your draft, right, just go on Google docs.
Speaker 2: Just start writing on your phone. I would be like, yo, I'm writing my dissertation every day.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: How much poor is everybody watching?
Speaker 1: I'm not too sure. I teach in the two morning classes, and I teach like four afternoon classes and the morning or tenth graders, and the tenth graders are they always on their phone. But the eleventh graders they kind of know because we kind of run a tight ship where they're like, I go up to them when they're on the phone, like, are you crazy? That's what you talk to with you like you could and they're like, all right, cool, I don't want to smoke.
Speaker 2: Which grade respects you the most?
Speaker 1: Freshmen?
Speaker 2: Ah, because that's baby virgins.
Speaker 1: Funny love.
Speaker 2: They don't want to get in trouble with their parents.
Speaker 1: They don't.
Speaker 2: By eleventh grade. You're like, fuck my mom, but don't tell her that she had wor right, what's them? Yeah, let me call They go home and put their mom's phone on do not disturb?
Speaker 1: Oh man. Yeah, ninth grade was fun. They respect They respect you the most because you could do you could like you literally scared them. I remember this one kid, he just was cutting class all the time, and I called his mom and dad and I told him to come to the class and just sit in the back of class. And when he walks in, he's gonna learn to never cut this class again. Walks into class boom boom boom, and he just freeze. He's like, hi, mom, and then she the mom and dad sat with him the whole entire class.
Speaker 2: The experiments. My mother has never been to any of my schools. Ever. My mom had to work take so much. Yes, no way, that's.
Speaker 1: True, and that's why they were up there were like she smacked him on the head, no listen, making him answer questions. It was beautiful.
Speaker 2: She like, you know that one, you know that one.
Speaker 1: He's never and yeah, he didn't cut a class at all in that ninth grade year. And the kids knew. They're like, I'll call your mom here and your dad did.
Speaker 2: The kids roast him for having his parents. You get roasted the whole fucking semester. They're like, gen your mom here, Hey, Caren, what's good? He bad? Carrien? What's the answer to number six? Duke? How often are you calling people's parents? Uh?
Speaker 1: It just depends on the kid, and it depends on like the situation. Like sometimes it's like all right, maybe sometimes it's like, man, we don't want this kid to get in trouble because you know what, you know, like some kids will get beat man. Let's see if we can work it out internally.
Speaker 2: Let the child get beat Wait, some kids are still getting beaten in twenty nineteen. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: As much.
Speaker 2: Europe. No, wait, so what what's the bad ground to the kids? Are? They?
Speaker 1: Like, I work in a school with like four thousand kids, so the demographics are we have everyone everything.
Speaker 2: There's whites, they're black, so it's not just one. So everybody's getting beat.
Speaker 1: Everyone's getting everyone's getting beat everything. I mean, the parents are there's a fine line between like beating and like sapping and slapping the face, and you know they're not getting slapping face, but they get reprimanded. Yeah, but I've definitely sometimes I'll call parents and they're just tired. They're like, I don't know what to do. I don't know. I'm like, damn, I thought this would work. I'm just only making it worse. So sometimes you gotta talk to the kid. And sometimes you just just got to get other people involved that like like cousins and counselor. Yet I think counselors are the best, like the school, the school counselors and what do they do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my counselors never did ship trash. My counselor told me I should be a comedian and I was like, Si, I can't get no scholarships for this, and look at me here, look at you, honey, paying your rent. I went to school for something else. I guess she did help, you know she didn't. I helped myself. Wait, so what does the counselor do.
Speaker 1: They just talked, literally talk to kids. This one counselors like a par of us. Yeah, kind of sort of and talked about the problems, like what's going on. And it's honestly really beautiful. Like this girl my math class because I picked up a math I teach English, but I picked up a six class for math because I'm trying to get these coins.
Speaker 2: And wait, you teach English and have your degree in English, but you macked up a math class because you need some extra hours. I said, I need to get I need to get this little vacation. I want to go back to Tokyo.
Speaker 1: To Thailand, you know. And this girl, she like put her head down in the math class and just like start crying. And I was like in front of everybody, and I was like, just come on, and I brought her upstairs to the whatever the guidance, the guidance, and then they just had a chat for the rest of the period. And then she now she's homeschool. She's like she's doing homeschool.
Speaker 2: Damn, what the fuck happened?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know, but I have like two hundred kids. I can't just be in I got time.
Speaker 2: Her upstairs, and that's that guy. Last time I spoke to her, I.
Speaker 1: Was like, hey, man, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Do you do you deal with a lot of troubled kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do with troubled kids. I deal with good kids. It's it's high school. It's literally hasn't changed. Nothing's really changed, except for like now it's like a little more scared of like gun violence. But nothing's really Kids still getting beat up, kids still talking smack.
Speaker 2: When you see a kid that you don't like getting beat up, you break it up, or you take your time.
Speaker 1: I'll wait a couple of minutes.
Speaker 2: He's gonna learn to break it up.
Speaker 1: Boys in Mississippi to Mississippi.
Speaker 2: Kids are really still fighting. I mean, because I feel like there's more bullying online now that you don't have to bully people in real life.
Speaker 1: Girls hands real. I've walked into the third floor. I remember I saw just a weave, just a weave on the ground. No chocolate milk, chocolate mill and like, uh, frosted.
Speaker 2: Flake well, for those of y'all that don't know black women bleed chocolate mill, Yes, that's whatever that looks like frost flake.
Speaker 1: I was. I was so confused, and then I was gonna take a picture, and then I was like, I gotta go teach his algebra, and I just left and then when I came back, it was gone.
Speaker 2: I was like, damn, yes, she came to a pick up her bundles. Wait, so you see all this stuff happen. Do you, like sometimes do you cross the line and kind of befriend these trouble kids, like try to help them, like dangerous minds type style?
Speaker 1: Michelle, I think the best way I can help them is getting them out of high school. So I'm like some girls, some friends. Let's you're my friend, what's up? And I'm like, yo, I'm not your friend, bro, Just I'm trying to get you to learn these these words you call your kids, bro, sometimes write these sentences and then just get out of high school. Like that's all my whole My whole job is like to get you out of high school.
Speaker 2: Okay, get you out of high school, but what about college?
Speaker 1: That's not me. Once I got you out the door, you're gonna you're gonna you're gonna do fine, and some some high schools not. I mean college. College is not for some people. Sometimes you're like, maybe you should get a trade, my.
Speaker 2: Guy, Yeah, a trade.
Speaker 1: I had a kid in ninth grade and I asked him. I was like, yeah, what do you want to do in your life? What do you want to do? And he's like, I just want to work at the office. And I said, let's go, my man. And he's like, hey, you know, work at office nine to five, make copies, send emails like I T T T T TECHT.
Speaker 2: I mean office max for that. Yeah, I've been working in office.
Speaker 1: But I was like, because I want to be a space man. I want to be a cowboy.
Speaker 2: And he was like, space, I'm gonna work at office, That's what I'm gonna do. And I said that's the most realistic. You're like, that's that is in you could achieve that. Yeah, reach for reach for the ceiling, the stars, not even the reach for the window, for the window, that's it. Does that make you sad a little bit?
Speaker 1: You know, he's gonna be fine. He's good because he's grounded, because he's one of the kids who don't care about Some kids don't care about school. Like when I say they don't care, they.
Speaker 2: Do not care. He wants to be an influencer since he's trying to be you know, self flat on me tea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's like, I'm like, they don't don't. I'm like, all right, whatever, just what you want to do, live your best life.
Speaker 2: Also, like I had no idea what I wanted to do when I was in high school. I knew that I wanted to carry a briefcase. I was like, oh, I'm I'm a wear little pants suits with skirts, you know, and I'll have a briefcase.
Speaker 1: Because it's because, as a matter of fact, it's crazy to ask, like in the next four years to be like you're going to go from like freshman year, We're like, I don't know what my life is. I don't even know if I like girls until like senior year, where you're like, all right, you're going to go to college and you better make sure you have this major because once you go into the it's so there's so much stuff that you need to between. I'm like some kids, if they don't get it, they're kind of just like I'm lost and I don't know.
Speaker 2: That, but like also too, like we're sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, We're supposed to know what we want to do with the rest of our lives. I mean, I'm and I don't know what I want to do with the rest of my life right now, right and I don't know what I want to do with the rest of my life, Like you know what I mean. Do we do comedy and we do this same thing kind of day in and day out, and I'm like, I don't know. Maybe I should go back, maybe I should see what mister McGill thinks, Like somebody needs to take me to the guidance office. I was watching too much TV, Like I was watching Law and Order a lot. So I wanted to be a lawyer. I really did. I was like, I want to go to school for law, and then I didn't get into any schools that had to do with the law. Also, my essats were terrible. Also, they were like you're writing like dependmanship, like how are you going to get to law school? Looking to becoming a vent ventary school. So they were just like trying to be realistic with me, like I don't know if laws in the cards for you. So then I was like, oh, well, I like I like talking to people. I like networking and things of that story, and they're like, oh, communications PR. So then I was like, oh public relations, I had an internship and everything. Do they do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well have internship? Yeah they haven't. It just depends on some kids don't know what they really like to do because they never asked that, Like, Yo, what do you like to do? I like playing video games? But then you're like you want to make video games? Like now that is hard? And so like most kids don't ever have that opportunity just because they're bombarded with work or life and just the way that social media social the way that the world is now, it's very weird that kids some kids are like what do I want to do?
Speaker 2: How do they balance?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Because I remember when we were in school and it was just like all you had pretty much was the school society. And now you're like, oh, I have this social media society and real life and I'm trying to juggle both. So it's like, how do you have time to figure out what the fuck is?
Speaker 1: Want?
Speaker 2: So crazy to me though, like we would have like when you're in high school or when we were in high school, it's your whole life. You don't know anything else, nothing else. You feel like everything that happens to you on a day to day is the most important thing in your life. Ye you get in the cafeteria at lunch, you might never go to that lunch period ever, you know what I mean. But now these kids are they got they competing with people with more followers than them in like I don't know, in Botswana, and they trying to learn how to do a cat eye, and they trying to contour for school, and they gotta wear a name brand clothes and they want to look like Kim Kay and it's just like crazy. You don't need a big ass in the ninth grade, right, You'll need it when you're forty five. That's when it's crucial. That's when people are not gonna do shit for you unless you got an ass. Yeah, So is that like do you see that? Do you see the differences in like what school was like for you when you were there two years ago versus now when you're a teacher two years later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see it. But I I and I think it's cool that I'm so young and I see it and I'm in this culture and you relate to them. I'm really to them, but I'm also there to like I can be like a not a I can be the person that I wanted to be that I needed to have in like high school. So it's cool because I'm actually like, oh, like, no, you're like you're worth more. Your value is not in Instagram or whatever followers you have. Like no, it's like you are amazing. You're you're wonderful, You're great.
Speaker 2: You don't need your You're a very Christian though, yeah, but I'm that you're like you're into the Lord to church a lot.
Speaker 1: So Sundays, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, do you do you put that on the children sometimes?
Speaker 5: Like you real Christian? So she texted that you was like, tell him he real Christian? Roust him for his faith.
Speaker 1: I think it's just the outworking of my faith?
Speaker 2: Is just me? You hear that outworking? I don't know if we can have you around the kids, we're all all the outworking of your faith? Is that what you're saying to the children. If I was a mother, I be like, well, what if we don't believe in God?
Speaker 1: That's cool. I'm gonna still, you know, treat your child with respect, you know, I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna cheat him like a child of God. We're all children of God. Yeah, the Lord, the Lord. You might not believe in the Lord, but he's here. He's touching your shoulder, sticks, his dick is on your forehead on but yeah, And he was like, I'm leaving it. He closed his notebook. He's like, I said, well, I think it's time. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's some kids that you know that are assholes, and you gotta like treat them like they're like they deserve. Like I brought this paper here, okay, okay, because I made a kid write a paper on why his words matter?
Speaker 2: What words did he use that you felt?
Speaker 1: Oh, he was in the back of class. This is last year. He was in the back of class. And if my coworkers here still lives, he was in the back of class and he whispered. He I heard him whisper, Oh, mister McGill's a faggot. And I said, excuse me, mm hmm, what was that, sir? And I brought him up and I said, you know, if you say this word on the street to me two forty five, you know, we just people, you know that, right? And I said, your words matter, son, And I said, now you're gonna have to write this paper on why your words matter. And I wanted I want it today. I said, I want it in my office at the end of the day. It's like I got you. I said, I'm calling your mom, I'm calling your dad, I'm calling your past and the deans. I said, we're gonna have to learn so.
Speaker 2: Here to shut up, mister McGill. I've seen you play.
Speaker 1: Ball, and he wrote this paper, and I want to read this paper because it's really bad.
Speaker 2: Oh look at that show and tell.
Speaker 1: I said, words matter because it can affect people in a certain way. Words can hurt or affect people in a bad way, which I did. I felt bad because my words was all over the place. But words matter because people can feel a type of way about it, a type of way. My words made my teacher feel mad and disappointed at me because of the words I said. My words wasn't men not to harm or hurt my teacher. Is was just for a joking matter so I could get my friends to laugh at it, like I was always do. But my words said again, you.
Speaker 2: Did you teach him?
Speaker 1: I did not teach him any of the fun did I write that actually like paper, this.
Speaker 2: Is city's paper. How does the note end? What's the last line? Just give us, don't read.
Speaker 1: He says, my words matter, and the words that I say will not harm the people in my class.
Speaker 2: And I said, he just wrote my words over and over again? Was that a coup?
Speaker 1: What I think it was?
Speaker 2: My words matter because they be hurting and it was not what I meant to have it been done.
Speaker 1: But every day, but every time I see him, I remember that. And he looks at me and.
Speaker 2: He's like, have you ever called somebody's mom knowing they was gonna let the ass beat and you were like, good servant.
Speaker 1: It was a Haitian mom. Somebody gallons And I called his mom and I was like, basically, I'm Haitian. And he said, and then we talked and I was like, I knew when he was going home that he was going to catch your hand. And he came into work, He came to work, He came to school the next day and.
Speaker 2: He was like he couldn't sit.
Speaker 1: Probably he said, damn. My mom called my dad and he said, why do you have to do that, mister Drew? I said, girlings, because you don't come to class boy and now he comes to class. So it's all for the benefit of the kid.
Speaker 2: But you know, now, like beating is not good. It doesn't it doesn't help kids. I mean it helps Look at me, look at all of us. I was be two, and I think I'm just just reprimand your child, Like I don't know what's But why can't you just talk to them? I think that's why we're so bad at communication skills because we don't we don't talk. But some people should have gotten smacked around a little bit. Some people don't need to be talk to all the time because they don't listen and by some people don't. Is that where we're promoting on the on the podcast your domestic abuse? But like you in the face, no shut up person, No, no, no, that's assessment. Is that Do I see that bottom lip? Did you just roll your It's like no, I just can't see you hitting my I have allergies.
Speaker 1: I just think there's just they're like they're sometimes it's like talking doesn't help.
Speaker 2: But maybe they have like like mental issues.
Speaker 1: Maybe. No, that is very true. There are some students that are like I could think of one student, a couple of students for instance, that of like transitioning. They're going from like male to female female and male and like they and it's not about like talking to their parents so they can hit them and get in trouble, but it's like talking to the parents of their parents know that, like, hey, this this child's going through something and whatever, whatever way you can help them. You need to just have the resources to help them. And some parents aren't equipped to have kids. Some people shouldn't have had kids.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about that. Let's talk about it. That's really like I really just feel like just because you have the reproductive you know, parts to like have a child, it does not mean you should have one. I feel like you there needs to be classes on how to take care of children. Also, there should be classes on how to get away with murder. I do think that, Yeah, not everybody should have children. Also, not everybody needs to have them, like some of I mean, I don't think I want children, Honestly, I don't think that. I don't think that that's in my car. You give me Auntie vibes for sure, thank you, good aunt. None of my siblings have kids either, So okay, well, Andrew, go ahead and have some babies. That could be a cool aunt, cousin aunt.
Speaker 1: No, I just I don't know, man, It's it's weird. Sometimes I talk to some parents, I'm like, but then I also understand, like, damn, he's like they're going through a lot. Like one of my parents. One of my kids parents like they're super sick and the girl never comes to it.
Speaker 2: Sounds like your class be empty, nobody, nobody's there. What is that attendance rate over there?
Speaker 1: Now that it's good? The morning we have, like because I have thirty four kids in my morning class and maybe, like you know, twenty twenty seven come thirty four is a big class. Yeah, they're all big classes.
Speaker 2: How do you tend to all of these these children?
Speaker 1: You just gotta like have good time management and just power through, power through who and definitely just check in. But you okay, you're good. And some kids like, yeah, I'm fine, leave me alone. I'm like all right, cool whatever. And some kids are like you good, and they'll be like no, actually need help, and you'd be.
Speaker 2: Like, all right, after class, I got twenty seven other students that I need to get to. So I'm gonna get back to you. Andrew, what's your curriculum curriculum. What's your syllabus? What did it look like?
Speaker 1: For Western World literature, we're doing Frankenstein the books that I did not read nineteen eighty.
Speaker 2: Four as well nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they still got that in schools, nineteen eighty four, Big Brother, Yeah, big Brother.
Speaker 2: Oh, come on, Sydney Walk.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're doing Fahrenheit, and then we're doing a couple of them, the movie the Michael Mormon fahegh for yeah, fift fair and fo oh. And then for American literature, we start off with the Puritans. Then we go off to the Puritans, the Native of Native American.
Speaker 2: No, now, do you really get into the Native Americans? Do you tell them what's really good?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Our history? And then we're going to how we owe them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course. And then we're going to our slavery unit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Reading.
Speaker 2: Yeah, reading the Frederick Douglas.
Speaker 1: I give you that book.
Speaker 2: No, I've ordered it, but yes, I've read it, and it's something that I feel like people should be.
Speaker 1: So we're going to do Frederick Douglas and then we'll go to the Roaring twenties, and then we'll end off.
Speaker 2: With so first slavery, we're just doing Frederick Douglas and then the Roaring Twenties, No, great, the Great Cats.
Speaker 1: Because Frederick Douglas is the first big text that they're going to do, and we pair it with like some articles from the thirteenth and a whole bunch of stuff.
Speaker 2: Are there Bige chilled in your class? Do they know about their people?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What is that quass? Do they know that their ancestors are terrible? Yeah?
Speaker 1: But they try to be better?
Speaker 2: How are they are they venmoing the other black class? That's the only way you can fix this three.
Speaker 1: But I think just them knowing. I think just being in that class and knowing of all the things that are going on in society and that have happened they it makes them better people because they can go in society, oh knowing like, okay, there are people that were definitely marginalized, and we're here before that they.
Speaker 2: Know about racism, of course, Andrew by mister mcgilby telling them they read the news. I also do, like read the news. They read Facebook news feeds.
Speaker 1: Also do a Black Lives Story book club, so we read a book, but we also like talk about articles and things that are going on in society.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's open to the public.
Speaker 1: Or yeah, we're doing we're doing a big like teach out. Probably at the end of the year will guess and oh yeah we got we got.
Speaker 2: Books, convincity, come and read some poems. Say again your weave this crooked. Today we talk about we just may can I say brother to the night?
Speaker 1: You can? So one of my students, I have to do a project by November twenty second day. It is November November something, and she told me I had to get her three bundles of thirty inches with a twenty eight inch frontal by November twenty second. She told, thank you?
Speaker 2: Is this her Christmas list? She just says her grown up Christmas.
Speaker 1: You're gonna get met these bundles because she's doing the project alone that she should have done with a group.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you promised her the bundles or she asked for them so she could do this project, and you said.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I said, if you do this project, I'm gonna get you these bundles.
Speaker 2: Okay, how are you going to get them? You have money for you know how much bundles?
Speaker 1: She said it was. I don't know how much, she said, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's a couple of hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: It's one hundred dollars for thirty inches, for three bundles of thirty in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, more than one hundred dollars. It's wandering. One bundle might cost you ninety dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dude said, bundles cost five dollars.
Speaker 2: She she talked about that. She's talking about the kick alone beauty of Black Store Hair. She talking about that Foxy Brown, like, yeah, yacky, yacky.
Speaker 1: Well, I know she's not gonna do it. It's a little in between us. I know you're gonna do it. So I'm like, yeah, yeah, you can do it. I'll bring the bundles, okay, And if she does, I'm gonna bring it. I'm you know what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna buy the bundles. I'm gonna spend the money on the bundles. Bring it. And when I know she don't have it, I'm gonna give it to another black girl.
Speaker 2: In the clock. That's problematic. But I don't know. If you're a good teacher, and I know I I think I'm no, no, your your heart is in the good place, in a good place, and like you're really passionate about it, and I think that's what's missing from a lot of teachers just in this day and age. I mean, I haven't met a lot, but I just feel like they're not getting paid enough and they're not getting respected enough, and there's so much to teach. There's so much to learn and so much to teach, and I just feel like school sometimes is just super unbalanced, and so everybody's stressed out. Like, who is having a good time in school?
Speaker 1: If you're really good at doing what the teacher told you to do, those kids are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nerds sitting nerves are good at school. People who come from immigrant families, first generation American, those are good students because their parents beat them when they go home. Those are people who are good students. People whose parents are like, I didn't come through this country for you do not know how to read like you? Like that was the conversation that we would have in my house. I would come home and I bet I got a ninety eight on a test, and my mom would be like, what happened to the other two points? And it was like a point. But every single test I bought home, if it wasn't a hundred, it was like okay, well, what happened. And it was like, Mommy, I'm messing up the curve. I'm missing, I'm throwing a whole curve off. And it was like, okay, but we like you. You grew up in this country. You speak English. You should be getting a hundred in English. And it was like, I don't really know all the words good, and it was like that was not an excuse. That's crazy doing well. I would be in school just getting se no, like getting b's and stuff, and I would come home and my mother's like, well, you tried your best friend? What you what you done?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Now that's this explains our personality differences. Oh, like you did your best My mom be like you could have done it. But then but then when I would get like a's and stuff, she would try to reward me and buy things, and it's like and that would push me to want to do more and do better. I got nothing. All right, Well, Andrew, you was running late, so we got to actually we got to end this episode early. My last question for you is actually have two questions. One is can you tell when kids forge their parents signa?
Speaker 1: Oh? Of course, And it's the best part of class because I'm like oh, your parents signed this. Hold up, let me call uh, let me call missus moy real quick, and then I'll open the cause we have called their parents. I'll call it in the middle class. Oh, while I'm teaching. I'll be like, hello, did you sign this list for U? Blah blah blah, and then be like no, I'm okay, hold up, wait a minute. I'm gonna put her on the phone, and I gave you FaceTime.
Speaker 2: Is this your signature?
Speaker 1: I'll give the phone. One time, I gave the phone with the mom to the kid. He's like, yeah, Mom, I was trying to listen whatever, whatever, Okay, I'll listen. I said, give me a phone, give me phone back, and then the dad whatever, talk talk talk talk talk, talk talk. And then that was it. And then they never.
Speaker 2: I forged a letter saying that I could leave school early. And then they called and I gave them my friend's phone number, who was in the parking lot, and they called my friend outside and she was like talking like my mom, and then there's something happened and she did a call drop and then they called my They called the act Shoul number on my file and my mom completely different voice. Hollo, no, no, no, no, I said, I mean, I mean, you know I told you how to leave early.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 2: Wait okay. And then my last question is just like, I mean, you see how these teachers be fornicating with the students. Now you don't see it, Mary Kayla Turner, you don't see it, but it's all of a sudden. You're hold all the time you read your Bible, do.
Speaker 1: You see this counication going on?
Speaker 2: You see these eas It's just like it's just like, how does it get to that that point? Like how do these teachers have time find? Do these kids be No? No, not me memory, Yeah, they're disgusting. It's just like how do they get so close? Because I didn't even get to speak to my teachers that much. But you had a teacher that you was like, oh, he's fine. No, I never had any teacher that was attractive. They all was like lazy eye, stringy hair, nail over from the bag. I've never had a hot teacher. I had like a decent looking teacher and she was pregnant, like the whole time. That's why she was pregnant, because she was so decent looking. I couldn't husband couldn't keep it his hands off a decent body. He was like, whoa, look at that Shi. Yeah, I'm gonna knock you up some tonight. They were a text of like, hey, you ready to Andrew? Was there a question? What was the question? It's just like, how does it get to that that point? I know you can't speak on it because that's not really your can't.
Speaker 1: Speak ministry, but I could. I guess it's just like the head what is this question? And they just let you you slip through the cracks of the teacher.
Speaker 2: Yuck. Then this question is weird. But the devil asked me to ask thatation, Sister Washington, chuck your bundles behind your ear and say the word, O my god. Because I was in high school and there was a situation where it was there was this teacher like I had. They were very friendly, but I didn't think anything of it because it was just like, well, you know, she seemed like an overachiever. It was like kissing ass, which was really it was a teacher. Yeah, yeah, it was crazy. And then we went to Cuba and I caught them in the room. You caught the teacher and the student. Yes, in Cuba study. It was a sister school program. It was a sister Soul just program. It was like Clinton. It was Clinton administration, so we were able to go to cube and they were doing that like the students. She was Sydney. That sounds it sounds so old. Clinton was president in ninety two. When did he get elected? This was when this is before the whiskey got That was like literally for presidents Sydney. Obama did two terms, Bush did two terms, Trump Sydney. Maybe it was fifty years ago. Maybe Clinton did two terms. Sydney. How old are you don't try to to bleck from the fact that I caught my teacher, my am the suitan together.
Speaker 1: What did you do?
Speaker 2: Did you tell? I was just like oh, and they jumped up and they were like, oh, what's going on? They try to act like I didn't see what was going on? Well, what was going on? She was definitely giving him a hand job. Oh, and then we found out what every like it spilled over like years and years later, and he got in trouble obviously, and then he got in trouble. But she was the teacher. No, no, no, it was a guy. Oh the guy was the teacher. Oh yeah, that's gross And he was just gross. Looking like missing most of his hair. And this girl, well, she had like an underbite, so you know people that they got issues. So you know people who have underbyites, they search. Yo, we gotta go. It's time.
Speaker 1: I don't know if there's a question there.
Speaker 2: It wasn't. I just wanted to tell my story. I just wanted to I just wanted to tell this tea about my school. But yeah, I'm sorry. That was messy. You don't have anything to say about it. But I have nothing to say, no comment, no speak on it. That was literally the devil pouring out of me. I just had to tell it. The devil. And then he tried to frint me on Facebook.
Speaker 1: Oh no, he tried to front.
Speaker 2: He wanted a hand job. So I was just like, sir, I was there in Cuba when you were basically hooking up with one of the students, and then I kind of got in the middle of it, did you because I sat on her. No, I was like trying the rest of the trip. I was trying to ask her, like, so, what's going on with you? And so Sidney, you saw this go down in Cuba and then didn't tell anybody.
Speaker 4: I did?
Speaker 5: I did.
Speaker 2: I came back. It was like, yo, I don't I don't trust him. He funny style. That's not saying what you say because I didn't want to be a snitch, but I was just like, I don't trust him as a teacher. And then a couple of people were like, yeah, him and this student or like they after class, they're chatting way too long. She's like bringing in things from him from home. It just was weird and he got he got in trouble.
Speaker 3: You got in trouble.
Speaker 2: All right, Well we gotta go you for That's what happens when you come in late. You came in late and us for a bacon, egg and cheese. Are you an alley or not? Yeah? Are you here for us or not? With let's glag okay, okay? And you plug all your information. I mean you're you're a teacher, so the teacher. You can't really, I can't really plug social media. Just add tell us what what time you be at home room? What your social media? Yeah, because you're you be at the moth and whatnot. You'd be telling stories at hood Chef Drew, Hood Chef Drew. And you have like a you have a story that went viral on at the month, right, Yeah, we love it. Cousin of the pod that wasn't on time, It's fine. Well, Sydney, you were also a little bit late. Oh wow, the car was right before. That's what we're gonna do on the pod. Anyway, let's go. There's other people here. They need to use the studios they do. Thanks guys, rate comment, subscribe. Catch you on the Patreon. Yes, yes, yes, see you next Friday. Stop fornicating with these professors. Bye bye bye. Well up, before you go. People on the East Coast, Sydney and I are performing on Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. Our half hour sets at eight pm in Brooklyn at Come on, everybody, they'll be gross. It's come on, everybody. That's the name of the venue. Come buy tickets either before you get there online or at the door. And if you're on the West Coast, don't worry.
Speaker 1: We got you.
Speaker 2: Sydney and I will be at Sketch Fest in San Francisco on January eighteenth. The tickets aren't on seal yet, but keep that day just blocked off on your calendars. So we'll see you on the East Coast and the West Coast and the people in the middle. We'll get to y'all eventually. Simmer down. Anyway, have a great week, Bye Forever.
Speaker 1: This has been a Forever Dog production.
Speaker 4: Executive produced by Brett Bauham, Joe ccilio, and Alex Ramsey. For more original podcasts, please visit Foreverdog Podcasts dot dot and subscribe to our shows on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. Keep up with the latest Forever Dog news by following us on Twitter and Instagram at Forever Dog Team, and liking our page on Facebook.