Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. Joining us on the program is Andrew Giuliani, former special assistant to former President Donald Trump and former candidate for governor of New York, to talk a little bit more about the current state of play. Well, mister Giuliani, thank you so much for joining us. Right off the ball, let's talk about the vice presidential selection. What does jd Vance bring to the ticket in your.
Speaker 2: View, I think it's a look right at the rust Belt. I mean, obviously the senator, the junior cenator from Ohio carried Ohio was able to win that state. But as we know, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, all three states to President Trump won in twenty sixteen went Biden's way in twenty twenty, and there are three swing states that are going to be very very important to determining who wins the presidency on November fifth. You have to think that jd Vance speaks directly to most of the residents of those three states, including his home state of Ohio, which should be in the red column. But as ben as swing state is recently as twenty twelve, So when you look at the math of the electoral map, I think that's exactly what the Trump team was doing when they selected jd Vance.
Speaker 1: So it's a good blue collar pick. What about his age? Does jd Vance's age lift former President Trump's chances?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It may. I mean, look, there's been so much talk, probably more about Biden, but also about President Trump as well, with them being eighty one and seventy eight years old, respectfully, I think you get some youth on this ticket and it changes it a little bit in terms of what does that conversation like now. I know you'll have other people that'll say, well, look, this is somebody who's only served a year and a half in the Senate here, somebody who's young, maybe a little bit inexperienced in some kind of way. But he's also somebody that is connected with the American people, the American masses, through his book, through his Senate run in a way that I think most politicians have not on a national level. And having talked to President Trump just as recently as yesterday, I know that something that he was really really looking at as he was trying to make his final selection here for who was going to join him on the presidential ticket.
Speaker 1: After the attempt at assassination of Donald Trump. But we've seen calls from many quarters throughout the country towards seeking more unity in the country, coming together as one America. Do you see these two President Trump and former President Trump and Jade Vance as calling for more unity here or kind of going back to sort of tear the house down type of ideology.
Speaker 2: Well, look, I want unity, but I also think answers are very important, and I don't want unity to lead to ignorance, if you will. In terms of the answers that my Orcus was talking about, I want to make sure that I know exactly what happened in the security collapses. Have to have a shooter one hundred and twenty five meters away when the longest shots ever made have been thirty times that length. That's thing that I sat through hundreds of White House security briefings looking at high points that were outside of security perimeters to make sure that the President was safe, even if it was outside of the Secret Service security perimeter. So I think we need answers to exactly what ended up happening on that day. And frankly, I also think this needs to go both ways. Joe Biden needs to have a better answer for why he said just a few short days ago, Donald Trump needs to be in the bullseye. I don't think his answer to Lester Holt today was adequate.
Speaker 1: Even the way the former president was moved to the van after the shooter was down. That presupposes there was only one shooter. And you wonder, you know, we have lots of columns getting written like the motive of the shooter is irrelevant, Francis Wilkinson, for instance, writes in our own pages here at Bloomberg. But it does sort of raise the question as to who else might have been involved. Do we have any sense of that? And do you fear that.
Speaker 2: Right now? We don't, And I think that's the problem. I think we need answers as soon as possible on this. We can't allow theories to win the day, right. You want facts to be able to look at this stuff, because frankly, this is going to be President Trump is going to be going out and doing rallies, maybe as soon as this weekend. And you think about same thing for Biden as well, and RFK Junior. These candidates, they deserve to be protective. If we believe in the First Amendment in this country, then the public square needs to be safe. Whether it's red, whether it's blue, whatever it is there. So well, let's hope right now, it's just theories.
Speaker 1: Let's hope this was one often that they will be safe. I'm curious about whether or not, you know, you think that it will be different this time in terms of former President Trump's aides, because one of the things that we noticed obviously in the prior administration was that so many of his aides eventually left either of their own volition or they were booted out by a foreign president Trump. Will jd. Evance be any different?
Speaker 2: I think so. I mean, I think this is a guy who, obviously, as of eight years ago, he was not the biggest fan of Trump, and I'm sure you guys have run through some of the stuff that he has said. But he's a guy who was really won over, i think, to the Trump world by the policies, by the policy successes. Maybe he didn't fall in love necessarily with the Twitter feed and the current ex feed and truth feed at the time, but was won over by the policies. I think that shows me somebody who was able to keep an open mind, even though he came in as a so called never Trumper and realized that this president, while he may have a unique style, he's able to accomplish things that maybe a typical politician is not able to accomplish. And I think you could just look at the successes of the forty fifth president and compare it to the forty sixth president. Let's talk about foreign policy. You talk about the two foreign wars that have started under Joe Biden. With Trump, you saw peace through strength. Talk about the economy as well, you cover that very very well every single day. I think the success of the Trump administration from a deregulatory standpoint was extremely successful. And you look at the Biden administration, We've seen inflation continue to creep up. I know those numbers are down a little now, but they're still up much higher than it was in twenty nineteen. And I think vance, I think probably that won vance over.
Speaker 1: If you will, could you see yourself playing a role in an administration under President Trump if he were to win, and if so, what might be Well.
Speaker 2: Look, I had that conversation with President Trump last week, and I told him, I'm always willing to serve, whether it's inside the administration, whether it's outside the administration. You know. I can tell you when I heard that he was shot on Saturday. This is a guy that I've known for nearly thirty years, had the honor of working four years from in the White House, and I felt like it was a family member in those moments where I didn't know if he was going to live or going to die. And I told him, look, also, whether it's on the inside, whether it's on the outside, most importantly, we need to save our country. And I also told them, I said, let's make sure we have that conversation on November six. That's the conversation I want to be at all.
Speaker 1: Right, well, we'll have to leave it there, unfortunately, but a good conversation, mister Giuliani, thank you very much for joining us. Andrew Giuliani there former special assistant to former President Donald Trump and a former candidate for the governorship of New York