Speaker 1: Welcome into Northside Territory File Territory Networks Cubs Podcast. I'm Sahadev Sharma with my partner Patrick Mooney. We are your Cubs beat writers over at the Athletic. Patrick. It has been a while since I feel like I've been able to say this, but that was a great series for the Cubs, a great week for the Cubs. They went it was six and one on the road, including just I mean, we were wrapping up the Metts series kind of it was before they finished off the sweep when we were talking and recording, but I was looking at those pitchers and wondering, how are the Cubs going to get through this? We know, the injuries that have happened for the Cubs are just kind of mind blowing. How rough it's gotten for their pitching staff, both both the bullpen and the starting rotation. And you see Miserowski, Harrison and Woodruff waiting for you in Milwaukee, a team that had kind of outclassed you when they came to Wrigley Field. That first game was close until the very end. The Brewers kind of put it out of out of play there. They kind of blew them out in the end, but it was closer. It was a good game, and those last two the Cubs won the second one in impressive fashion. That third game, what a game like That's one of those you know, I was watching at home, you were out there. Don't see Craig Council reacting that often like the way he did. He was pumped up after that win, and and it was you know, it was exciting. It was like, you know, clench clenching type victory. You didn't know what was going to happen, but they somehow pulled that off. They're going to have to pull it off like that for a while, I guess, but you know, you'll take that weekend. What a what a huge boost for this team, I think, both in the standings and just mentally too. I think taking that series.
Speaker 2: As you know, Council uses every minute of that cooling off period, win or lose after a game. The Cubs usually seem to stretch it a little longer than most and you know, postgame because yeah, that was fun and basically saying it in a total montone and you know, or well onto the next one.
Speaker 3: But I think that was truly a total team effort.
Speaker 2: It wasn't always pretty, but leaving that stadium. You just got the overall press. These are two evenly matched teams. I know there is still a significant gap in the standings. There is still a long way to go. I think organizationally, the Brewers have outclassed.
Speaker 3: The Cubs over the years.
Speaker 2: But you certainly did not watch those three games and think that they're you know, in two different stratospheres.
Speaker 3: Like you have to credit.
Speaker 2: Counsel and his coaching staff for piecing things together individually. A lot of pitchers uh stepped up, and you know, we when the Cubs are struggling, we try to, you know, play psychologists on you know, the vibes or the personalities and are they missing something?
Speaker 3: And you know, you if you're.
Speaker 2: Gonna do that, then you have to give credit for the steadiness of the position player group. That doesn't mean they're That doesn't eliminate the streakiness offensively.
Speaker 3: Or mean they're not.
Speaker 2: It's not frustrating at times, it can be, but just the defense, the experience, uh, just an ability to keep pushing forward. You saw all of those things, and you know, deficit, it's not gonna be easy to make up five and a half games on the Brewers. But it's starting to become a little more manageable. And they definitely, you know, they surged their playoff odds with that six to one week. Like we've talked about, wait for you need to start not only stacking series wins. You need that one streak to create a buffer period. They still have to avoid the down periods. And when you look at the twelve pitchers on the injured list, you know, I wrote in the Athletic it's it's roughly what they probably would have hoped a playoff roster would have looked like on a thirteen man staff before we got all this information that the season brings up, a half season brings us, And so I think that's why it was a little I wouldn't say muted. It was more like, you know, they came away from that series, you know, certainly satisfied with the effort and the outcome, but they are literally Jacob Webb said this like taking it one day at a time. It's like who's who's available to pitch, who's healthy, and who can get the job done.
Speaker 3: In the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this it's about two weeks I think where it's going to be really difficult to piece it together. Pitching wise, We'll see if everyone can get healthy how much the All Star break helps. But I you know, this bullpen, and I've been saying it for a little while, like I'm I just don't know how they're going to get through day in and day out that they can because bullpens sometimes you don't you don't know, like who's going to be good all of a sudden, like someone steps up in the middle of a season, and that that's how bullpens are kind of put together sometimes. Uh, and especially when there are injuries like there have been. Uh, I just I guess less. I don't know how they're going to get through. But what I do know is every game that is maybe not even close, even ones where they have bigger leads, you are going to feel some stress as a fan watching this bullpen. It's not going to be easy to get through games that four to one lead in the tenth inning should be a little bit easier, and it just wasn't. And I get it. Look Ethan Roberts has been solid, but when you watch him every day, you're like, this is you know, too much contact. Eventually it's going to get to him, right Trent Thornton I feel the same way, Like these guys got to miss a little bit more bats to feel really good. Although I got to give Ethan Roberts credit. He does usually get ground balls. He he had a bad day. He had a bad day. Give Jordan Wicks some credit. I I just I got to give credit to the coaching staff.
Speaker 3: You did there.
Speaker 1: You know, Craig Council took a lot of heat when things were going bad, and like there were there was some pretty outlandish suggestions when they were losing ten in a row, he's lost the clubhouse? Maybe, does you know, does he need to be fired? You know, you hear like crazy things. I don't know how much of that was mainstream and just angry fans on the internet. Not always good to judge things off off social media. Uh, but that that clearly isn't the case. He's not lost this clubhouse. He is not. He does not deserved to be fired. If anything, he's he's part of the reason they're they're keeping this group together.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Don't want to give Jed Hoyer credit just yet. Uh, but some early moves, uh you know early as far as you know, trade deadline goes, some some like he's he's been scouring the waiver wire. He has found some pictures to kind of put things together. We'll see how long that lasts. Let's let's take a quick break and then talk about some of these guys that you know. I don't think a week ago we were expecting to be talking about with regards to the Cubs.
Speaker 4: People, dehydration sucks, Quints, electrolyte stick packs to the rescue. I order them, I use them all of time.
Speaker 5: Somebody who may or may not have had some adult beverages in their life. The next day, you know what flavor? I like watermelon and I don't like watermelon. I'll go raspberry and it helps me to get my citrus salt in. But if I do, it helps me to get back to normal, feeling good and ready to go the next day.
Speaker 4: Yep, tough workout or dry mouth in the morning, whatever it is, this is going to help you out. Quint always has the best deals for you. You can go on their website and see a number of products we're talking about, not only a product that tastes great but has zero sugar options that are also Stevia free. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quints dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order in three sixty five day returns. That's qui n ce dot com slash foul for free shipping and three sixty five day returns quins dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the Feud and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 1: There are plenty of reasons to criticize the off season that Jed Hoy in his front off his head. Uh, you know whatever, we're in three months into the season, but the last the last few weeks have been kind of crazy, and to put together to kind of get through this, you have to just grab whatever you can. Uh. It's one outing for for David Peterson, one outing for Bryce Wilson. But right now, you know they help them get two wins, you know, each help them get a win. Ched Hoyer kind of shouted out Tyler Ferguson, I believe when we were in New York. Uh and and yeah, like Ferguson has looked good, especially against right handed hitters. He looks like a solid, like a solid pickup right now, one off season, huge win, Ryan Rollinson started, did he start? He started yesterday's game, and he's he's got like a does he have a sub two? E? R A? Am I remembering this right? I'm going off the top of my head. But I think like he's been great, has been good. Yeah, so you know, yes, have the big names have Edward Cabrera, Alex Bregman and uh and who in Phil Maton? Those are probably the three big signings. They haven't been they haven't been as good as as you need them to be. But like some of these smaller moves are saving the cub season right now and keeping them afloat. We'll see they have a lot more to do. You can't just say like, oh, David Peterson's a win now, great for a start. Looks a lot better with the Cubs defense obviously. Uh, but so far, so good. And this is kind of what you need. Like guys nobody expects to do well or to perform.
Speaker 3: You need.
Speaker 1: You need some of those to kind of get through whatever this madness is with all these injuries.
Speaker 2: I know you said wait to give Jedi Hoyer credit. I will wait all of one segment. I think you gotta recognize some of the urgency he showed there of getting Peterson in.
Speaker 3: I'm sure they obviously were comfortable with kind of the costs. But I do think.
Speaker 2: We think of Jed as very deliberate and patient and data driven. But I think his group is working really hard, really focused. They understand, they acknowledge there's a problem, and they're doing something.
Speaker 3: About it.
Speaker 2: You know, Peterson, I think he's made a really nice impression just in talking to him and you know, getting you know, a couple of scouting reports on him, just like a we're spending ten seasons in the Mets organization. I think gives you an amazing amount of perspective and you can just tell that he's a bright guy, you know, very.
Speaker 3: Just professional.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was just hilarious about how Cubs officials spent days talking about his ground ball rate and the very first pitch he throws in it comes uniform, the trio just smokes it off the top.
Speaker 3: Of the center field wall for a home run.
Speaker 2: But he he settled in and I think that uh, you know, shows a lot and the defense will show up behind him after, you know, leaving what was kind of a you know, I mean, people be talking about that Mets defense for a long time. I mean that was just such a you know, the Mets are one of those franchises where, you know, people remember, history follows them, and just the the six error performance leading into Carlos Mendez's firing just really.
Speaker 3: An all time Mets moment.
Speaker 2: And the change of the change of scenery angle like councils talked about it, Peterson acknowledged they there's something to it, not saying he was looking to leave, but that he's seen it before. Guys getting ruts, Guys get kind of stuck in their routine and you know, or maybe they need to go to be more receptive to different ideas and new voices. I think you're seeing that it comes pitching dep This is almost essentially gone. They will admit it, but I think they will also point to, you know, a game planning system that's been pretty strong over the last what twelve years, even going before that, basically since THEO got here, And there's a lot of people that went into that. When you look at you know, the players they traded twenty twelve, twenty thirteen, twenty fourteen, a lot of that was building up Starter's values and then trading him out to get key pieces what turned.
Speaker 3: Out to be a championship team.
Speaker 2: That's the Chris Bosio, Mike Borsello, see Tommy Hotteve has been there a really long time and in a couple of different roles now and I think you see that. I think Counsel certainly helps in that regard. You'd appreciate this quote. It was like Friday night when they lost to the miz he was like, that was not the game to chase, meaning he just saw how it was unfolding. He knew what he had at his disposable disposal this weekend, So you have to make choices in the moment to that. Just take a broader view, And that's not a great tweet, but it Council is certainly not the only manager who does that. I think he's just more comfortable doing it and can explain it and can communicate with his players in.
Speaker 3: A way where they get it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I miss I must have missed that from Friday night and that I like that. You know you it's playing the long game. I guess not even that long. It's just the rest of the week weekend really, But I don't think fans in the moment would love that love. Hearing that they were like talking heads would freak out. It's an easy thing to pick apart. I do think it's what smart managers do. You have that ultra competitive gene inside you and to somehow be able to like pull back a little bit on it and say like I have like and Council is very good with that. There there's a reason why he starts a game and these guys are untouchable in my bullpen. This guy I cannot go to this guy, he is down. There are managers that'll be like I. I know I said this, but I'm changing my mind. Council isn't one of them. He will stick to what he's decided and what his coaching staff has decided, what he's communicated with his pitchers. And yes, Friday was not the game to chase.
Speaker 3: He was right.
Speaker 1: Just really impressive that they were able to take the next two. As far as the Peterson acquisition, I was a little hesitant on it, just because you don't know what a guy's like like. Had he mentally been like kind of dinged enough that it was going to be hard to get him right? Was it going to take a few starts to get him back to He seems fine, he seems like his himself, and now, like all the things you just explained make a lot of sense. It's like, yeah, get get out of that situation. Not that you're like begging to get out of it, but maybe a little change of scenery helps. Definitely, a different defense helps. This is a guy that is not that far removed from being a really good pitcher in the big leagues. So it's not I think I overlooked it a little bit as far as the more time I've had to kind of look at the deal and and look at everything that he can do. This isn't like a Bryce Wilson is a DFA pickup, right like you're picking up a guy that was and hoping that he can just give you some innings. I think there's more here with David Peterson, and he could be a positive impact to this rotation even when they start to get healthy. Like he's a he can be a quality piece. Patrick, let's get some updates from you on guys. Let's make this our fan duel Daily Dingers segment.
Speaker 3: Well, I do want to one quick thing on Peterson.
Speaker 2: I love to I saw him the other day before his first start as a cub with an old school yellow legal pad and a electronic tablet at one of those small circular tables inside the visiting clubhouse in American family feel. So it's definitely like prepared, thoughtful, organized, And these are type of the pictures the Cubs like if you're looking ahead of like, you know, does this guy? Can this guy be a contributor?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I guess as long as he stays healthy. He's legit, Like he's six foot six. I don't know, between his beard, his size, his demeanor. He kind of reminds me a little bit of Chris Bryant, just the way he's sort of just kind of this easiness about him. First round pick, pitched in the NLCS two years ago, pitched in the All Star Game last year. You know, not saying he's gonna win the Syang Award this year, but I think it's reasonable to expect like him to hit the ground running here. In terms of who else they're waiting on, it's kind of a long list here. Justin Steele still thinks he can build up towards a starter's workload, you know, particularly if they make the postseason vance deeper in the postseason. That's not like a guarantee. The Cubs have been you know, hopeful, cautiously optimistic, while also being realistic like it's going to be hard when you look at the calendar of what he's trying to do. But like him, there has not been a setback with Justin Steele. I think that was important to clarify. It's just I think you can look at this sort of situation and you can be either. If you're a player, you're going to be very optimistic and you're going to keep pushing and you want that carried out there of being a starting a major league starting pitcher, and then if you're a coach, a manager, a front office official, you have to prepare for the worst and be more conservative and think on a longer term horizon for a player who you'll be counting on next year, assuming there's baseball. A couple other guys. It's kind of what we're hearing sort of segment. Jackson Wiggins, who you wrote about, is back on a minor league we have assignment. Is thought of as a factor potentially at some point this season, but he is not on the radar for this segment. That council has been talking about this two week window before the All Star Break, a time when their pitching resources are almost completely expended. Wiggins is just not there yet. He hasn't pitched enough. I don't think he's quite refined enough yet, but he could get there later this summer. Daniel Plancia supposed to start throwing this week, but the Cub's closer will not be activated before the All Star break. He is definitely kind of at some point after that. Jamison Tyne has made enough progress to where I believe he's throwing live batting practice Tuesday at Wrigley Field, and that's looking at a scenario where where he could make an abbreviated start maybe just before or just after the All Star breaks.
Speaker 3: So that is a bit of good news.
Speaker 2: And Edward Cabrera I did not get. There's not much there there yet in terms of like what his time frame would be. And I mean, we'll have this in the next segment, but there was a very we had a very revealing ish conversation with Ben Brown on his it's been for him kind of a confusing medical situation, but he feels like he's gotten some answers.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's let's quickly take a break and then talk more about Ben Brown. Northside Territory is brought to you by fian Duel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing, and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call you shot with Daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is a home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast. To opt in for Daily Dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer. Playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 6: No purchase necessary, opten required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem call or text one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I was reading the updates on Ben Brown not in osteoma like he thought he shared I believe with me in the spring of twenty twenty five is when I wrote that story.
Speaker 3: That's a you know, like.
Speaker 1: A bone, like a benign bone tumor on a bone that gradually dissipates. It actually was the original the I think. I think originally they said it was like a stress reaction or a stress fracture and then changed it because they just couldn't get a good diagnosis. What's going on here?
Speaker 3: Patrick?
Speaker 1: Would this? You know, the fans get frustrated by some of these, you know things. I don't know if there's if this is a legitimate complaint or just like sometimes how the medical process works.
Speaker 3: Yes, so he feels worse physically, but feels better about the situation, if that makes sense. And yes, the.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if it could be called the original diagnosis because to your point, they seemed to canvas you know, several experts and really tried to get multiple opinions and that, you know, That's what I had to kind of ask man. I was like, is this in the same spot? And he said yes, And there was a group of us, but it was just kind of Ben's are really good talker. He's very thoughtful, and there was a bunch of us asking questions, so I was just trying to like excuse to me. It was like, is it the same spot? He's the exact same spot. I was like, but it's not that Osteoma said that was just a wrong diagnosis. He said, that's not the case that they thought that maybe that was the wrong answer. I'm sure when he told you that was his understanding. But I guess maybe the oh, the more we do this, the more I realize there's kind of sometimes more art than science to this, and that he is essentially now just waiting for it to heal. But he feels better because he feels there's just more of a path or a plan to deal with this. And kind of another layer of this is like he's sort of thinking, you know, four to six weeks is roughly the time for a bone to heal, and you can kind of do the math on that of how much season is left. And then he's also talking about, you know, what are the next five years of my career look like? And when I presented it that way to council, he's like, he's like, I think Ben is sort of talking about two different things here. That yes, if you're starting pitcher and you're past the halfway point of the season and you're taking out a big chunk of that, obviously you know you're going to lose you know, a lot of innings you know, during that process. But the idea is like, first, he has to get healthy, But there are also ideas that they have about you know, his delivery, his mechanics and ways to maybe reduce some of that stress on his neck and to if not outright prevent that from happening again, to significantly reduce the possibility of it. That they believe it's something in that chain is causing this you know, stress reaction, and so that does bring up a whole another set of concerns of like if you change who you are as a pitcher. I mean, this guy is clearly the cobs most valuable pitchers so far in this half season as a high leverage reliever, as the top of the rotation starter, I mean, an absolute all star caliber performance. But you know, right now he has to you know, shut it down. And again he he's he believes he's going to pitch again this year. You know, he's like, I like my neck and heel, I can come back and I can pitch for this awesome team that I think is going to go a long way. That is essentially what he said. He's like, but like, how do we stay on top of this? How do we get ahead of the curve? Like, how can we you know, minimize the risk of this happening again and also you know, put him in a better position to have a long, productive career. He gave an example of you know, he underwent Tommy Johnson surgery earlier. He's like, He's like, I changed the way I threw He's like, I felt better, not just because the issue had healed, but because I the way I went about it, you know, gave me just more durability, uh and kind of flexibility. And so he's like, if I came back from came back, didn't change the thing out a second TJ Like that would.
Speaker 3: Be insane, right, So what he it for a I don't know, eight or nine minute group interview.
Speaker 2: There was a lot of territory covered, but I think it's sort of addressed something that you know, has been confusing just for us like trying to follow and explain what's going on. And like he said, a lot I don't think it was as encouraging as some of the stuff. There's one way, look at hey, you Ben feels good about this. Like I didn't really walk away that way, but I think you know, there is at least a lot more clarity and that maybe you can not strength recovery timeline, but you can at least direct your energy in a more focused manner. Because that seemed to weigh on him in twenty four.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, this is what's going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah. When that type of stuff, when you don't know what's going on, it reminds me of twenty I always get the year wrong. Twenty nineteen. You Darvish elbow, remember how Yeah, people were wondering if like like what's going on here, Like like the original imaging wasn't showing anything, and then they had to do a different type of imaging that showed what the actual issue was. And you know, Darvish had a real injury. But people were like, what, like there's nothing showing up on scans. Now that you know what it is, I think it's peace of mind for the player getting like the sketchy diagnosis and not knowing what to do how to treat it. One thing I wanted to clarify four to six weeks for the bone to heal, four to six weeks, no throwing. Is that the Is that the initial plan right here?
Speaker 2: I think it. Don't quote me on this one. I realize I'm on the podcast. I believe it was like there are certain throws that he will not be able to make. Now, I think there are things they can do around some movement, some sort of delivery workshopping maybe okay, but but it's going I mean, it's going to be a significant amount of downtime, like the idea. And also I feel like we went through this with justin steel of like maybe he could throw at some point and then they just wind up like they're not pushing him. And I think Ben is being again he expects to pitch again this year, but he's also thinking long term, long term, and I think the Cubs are too, of like, if this guy is as good as we think he could be, you know, we've got to get this thing right first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so right now, I think we just need to like a timeline and if and when he can help, this season needs to kind of be put on the back burner. The way I am reading this and understanding this, it would be foolish to say, like, oh, two months, maybe that's the best case scenario I think right now, So putting a timeline feels unfair. You hope he can be back because I think he proved just how good he can be. The future is bright for Ben Brown. But this team did something this weekend that makes you feel a little bit more optimistic about what they can do overall, and you don't want to kind of flush the twenty twenty six season. So you hope he can help because I think, you know, he kind of changes the trajectory of things. If he can be back and effective in September and help this team in October, it really does change the way you look at this team. We'll see what they do at the deadline. We'll see what David Peterson can be consistently, who else gets healthy, how they put this bullpend together. But I know there's been a lot of injuries, and I know a lot of fans want to just kind of poo poo what this season is now because of these injuries. There are ways you can kind of like, yes, to replicate this weekend is going to be hard, you know, over and over again.
Speaker 3: But if you can.
Speaker 1: Make the playoffs and get healthy, weird things happen. Kate Horton's not coming back, Justin Steele may not be a six inning starter. Ben Brown is obviously down for a while. But guys get healthy, weird things happen. I would not just dismiss this season just yet. It's been weird. I'm impressed like the tenor and the feeling of this team changed in just three games, to be honest, it really did for me, Like I saw something this weekend that was like, these guys are tough, These guys that they've got a way of figuring things out. They may not have a like the the most talented roster that they like can put together as far as what they want out there, but.
Speaker 3: It worked for a weekend.
Speaker 1: Let's see what else they can do and how they can really, you know, string things together here and maybe maybe hang in this race and hang in the division and see where it goes. All right, Patrick, we got a lot more to talk about the rest of this week and the rest of you know, next month, really, because there's gonna be a lot to talk about with this team. We'll see what type of moves they make. I don't think they're done making moves. We're gonna have a lot to talk about there, so let's wrap this one up. This is Northside Territory. Make sure to rate, review, subscribe, subscribe to the YouTube channel, and subscribe to The Athletic where Patrick and I are on top of all things cubs. Thanks for listening and watching. Everyone take care and he agrees that everything be able to read and do. Day Lea