Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset.
Speaker 2: When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball.
Speaker 1: In a bride Egg Friday Egg, the dreaded Frida Egg, Frida Egg, Frida Egg Egg, Frida Egg, Bride Egg.
Speaker 2: Lie, I'm about ready to run off the golf course.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Frida Egg Golf Podcast. I'm Garrett Morrison, and today we're talking about the evolution of modern golf architecture with Bruce Hepner. I've wanted to have Bruce on the podcast for a long time. He is a bit of a legend in the golf architecture business. Definitely one of the people who helped drive the restoration movement, the rediscovery of Golden Age architecture, the design build trend, really so much such of what defines this current era of golf course design. Bruce was there for all of it. He served as the vice president of Tom Doakes's Renaissance Golf Design from nineteen ninety three to twenty ten, which was the period when Renaissance kind of went from an outsider band to one of the busiest and most influential firms in the industry. Bruce worked on courses like Pacific Dunes, Old MacDonald, Rock Creek Cattle Company, the Renaissance Club, and he was the lead associate at Ballyneial, Cape Kidnappers and stream Song Blue So Pretty sturdy resume. He also handled a lot of Renaissance golf designs, consulting and restoration commissions, and when he left Renaissance thirteen years ago, he continued working with many of those courses. A few of his most significant restorations have been at Essex County Club in Massachusetts, tim Iquana in Florida, Piping Rock and New York, Blue Mound and Wisconsin, and Cape Arundle in Maine. One reason I'm talking to Bruce right now is that he just fit a renovation at Percy Warner, which is a municipal nine hole course in Nashville, and that job is a great example of how much can be done at an affordable public course with a relatively low budget. You know, so much of what I've been thinking about lately when it comes to golf architecture, Bruce represents. You know, I've been thinking about affordability, sustainability, the virtues of being patient with a golf course as opposed to trying to get everything done all at once. You know, in Bruce's career he really pursued so much of that, and so I'm excited to hear his perspective on how the industry has changed since he entered it thirty five years ago, what he makes of the current state of golf architecture, and what some of his key experiences have been along the way. So all that is coming up. But before we get to my conversation with Bruce Hepner, a quick word from our sponsor for this episode, Fat Cork is all about champagne. They work exclusively with small, family run grower champagne houses to bring you the highest quality couves from France. Grower champagne is produced by people who also grow the grapes and tend divines on their own land. It is expressive of a particular vineyard. It's made with care, and it's often produced through methods that have been passed down through generations. So it's champagne with a real sense of place and sense of history. So we've got a holiday coming up here. Thanksgiving is approaching, and you know what's really good to have for Thanksgiving is some excellent unique champagne. If you show up to Thanksgiving dinner or Black Friday for that matter, with fat Cork, you will be the hero of the day. So now is the time to get some champagne shipped to you. There are lots of options on fat Cork's gift page at fatcork dot com or at our Custom Friday Golf page at fatcork dot com slash golf. There's everything from single bottles to magnums for the Thanksgiving table, to gift sets that you can bring to your mother in law. Whatever champagne related need you have for the holidays, fat cork has you covered. And make sure to use the code golf goolf to get free shipping on any of Fatcork's products. Again, that's fatcork dot com slash golf, great small business. They support us, we support them. And with that, here is Bruce happening. All right, Bruce, I hear you like music. So do you ever listen to music when you're on a construction site?
Speaker 2: Oh, we all do. Everybody that work for Tom and I still do. We all have EarPods. We all they have the latest, greatest EarPods and we're always listening to music. Sharing music with the other guys also listen to a lot of books, which is kind of really you know, when you're sitting in an excavator building bunkers for eight to ten hours, you can burn through some books in no time. So we do a little bit of both.
Speaker 1: I've heard in the different things about whether it's really possible to listen to a book or to a podcast for that matter, while you're shaping features and things like that. Some guys say that, you know, it's too distracting to have a people talking in their ear. Are you not one of those people.
Speaker 2: I'm definitely not one of those, because you know, shaping is is being intuitive, it's it's letting it go. You know, good shapers let it just let it fly, and they let they let their instincts go. You know, you give as an architect, you give a shaper where tom and give us a few cues and then he wants to go do our best work. And I do that still now when I shape bunkers, I just kind of I don't have any kind of too many preconceived notions, so I kind of let, you know, just let the freedom go. And I don't mind if there's music and it kind of keeps It keeps my mind occupied a little bit, but I'm obviously focusing on what I do. But yeah, it definitely helps me. It gets me in a good mood. You know, happy shaper. You know, I always learned just running projects, happy shapers are great shapers. If they're they're they're irritated because their internet is down at the house or something like that. Uh, you know, they're not doing great work. So you know, my job a lot of times running project for Tom was keep the keep the happy people happy. And you wouldn't believe how much great work comes out of that.
Speaker 1: What kind of music do you like to listen to?
Speaker 2: I listened to all, you know I was. I listened a bunch of jazz, and I just got a new I have a pretty nice stereo down in the main room, so I just got a new piece of equipment. So I listened to a lot of jazz. But you know, I'm a rock and roll guy. I've got, you know, fifteen hundred albums and you name it, I listened to it.
Speaker 1: You've got you've got the physical collection as opposed to just the digital collection.
Speaker 2: I'm I do because it's a leftover from when I was a kid. But and I have a turntable sitting right next to my there's my vinyl system is up here, but downstairs it's all digital. It's all streaming, high end streaming, and that's really opened up a great world of music. Where we used to, you know, go to borders or you know, when I was a kid, we went to Corvettes, which is an offshoot of kmarts, and just filter through the albums and just pick one out and get five or three for five bucks. That isn't available nowadays, so you have to get your music online, which is really hard. So streaming has really opened up a new world for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's interesting how music discovery has changed. When I was really getting into music on my own, which tends to happen when people are teenagers, I suppose burning CDs was the big thing, right, that's and if you mentioned that to a kid today, they don't know what the hell you're talking about. But that was really exciting that you could, essentially, I mean it's not good for the musicians, but you could you could just get whatever your friends had. You could you could burn the CD and and start building up a pretty big physical music collection. That way folks, and that's kind of gone away. You know, people don't curate their music collections as much anymore because it is all streaming.
Speaker 2: No, and you know what was the missing element which is kind of coming back with a new new thing called Rune. You know, I, I, me and my buddies, we're all. You know, we were in the liner notes and seeing who who played guitar on that that song or who is the drummer? And then you then you went over and picked out his albums and you know, nowadays liner notes engineering where it was recorded, all that kind of stuff is gone, but it's coming back with some of the digital formats.
Speaker 1: Do you ever drop parallels between the way music is made and the way golf courses are built, just in the way that it's produced, Right, You have these different people with these different roles, and sometimes you bring in the you know, the crack guitarist.
Speaker 2: You know, Tom has his house band, you know which I always said it was the Funk Brothers from MotorCity because I'm Detroit. You know, Gil's got the the caveman. Gill's got his you know, the crew, and it is it's it's like having the wrecking crew it's it's like having you know, the Funk Brothers is having you know, the guys from Stacks, you know, and MGS as your house band, and then you bring in you know, that was you always talk about bally Neil. When I ran bally Neil, I was just rolling the rock stars through that. There was so much talent coming through, and I have him come in through a couple of weeks. Some of the court you know, Dan Proctor was there for the.
Speaker 1: Beginning, and really because because he's mainly known for working with Corn Crenshaw.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I you know, we had a couple of those guys, and I was rolling the you know, the Renaissance talent, and you know, Kay Goldby and Schneider and I were there full time and Eric Iverson would come in for a whiles, Schneider, Unk would come in, Don Plasic would bring him, put him an ondozer. He was uh you know, and that that was part of orchestrating the talent. And I did the same thing as stream Song, you know, we you just kind of bring them in, give him a few cues. All right. I need you to go work on those two holes because I don't need to worry about him because I'm worried about this, and just go do it. You think it's cool, and Tom will come through and uh, you edit it. That's why Thomas the great editor and uh he just let it, let it, let us flow, give us our best, our best work without any in ambitions, and he come through and edit it, and it's it's it's it's a great It's that that has great parallels with music. I guess you're right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's sort of the producer, Yeah yeah, yeah, and the I'm not I'm not sure if there's a construction site supervisor equivalent in the music industry, but that's sort of what you're describing as what your role was at least at stream Song bally Neil. I know, I think you did that work at Cape Kidnappers as well, so that's an interesting role. I have all sorts of things I want to talk to you about, Bruce, but maybe we should start with one of your recent projects, which was a renovation of a nine hole municipal course in Nashville, Tennessee called Percy Warner. There was a ribbon cutting ceremony for the new course last month. My understanding is that it's sort of official public opening for play is going to be next year. Yeah, So how did you get involved in this project? You live in Traverse City. Nashville is a long way from Traverse City. What was the connection there.
Speaker 2: I've been working at Hillwood Country Club in Nashville for probably well over twenty years, and obviously with music, you know, they talked me into coming down. I'm like, I don't know, but I've never been never been to Nashville.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, I was gonna say, if you're a music fan, Nashville is appealing in an obvious way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was like like a second home for me. But I been working at Hillwood and I have, you know, for twenty years. I'm a member that now or honorary member, and a really dear friend of mine, Stuart Smith, who was a member there. He used to play in the tour. He was an All American at University of Tennessee. Great guy, just a dear friend. And I was shaping bunkers. I think it was twenty eighteen. He goes, hey, you bored. I'm like yeah, I go yeah, I could use a break. He goes, let's go over and I want to show you the golf course I grew up playing as a kid, and we went over this little nine holders just down the road from Bellmead Country Club. It's in bell Mead and Percy Warner Park, so nine to ole. He was really beat up. They had winter in summer greens, you know, two sets of greens went for the winter one of the summer, hardly any grass on the place. Just built a new clubhouse and it's like within the confines of a beautiful park, just this man. You know, I don't know how many thousand acre park this is. And he was We started walking and I'm like, I'm walking and I'm walking. I'm like, the routing is really good, the green sites are really good. I go, man, this has a lot of potential and it had fallen on the wayside because, you know, in the Nashville park system that was owned by the Metro Parks, they had kind of lost their way in maintaining they you know, they didn't think off was that important at the time that you know now they're they're starting to realize it. So they didn't really sink a lot of resources into these golf courses and they're they're playing the hell out of these golf courses. You know that I always I always tell the stories, like when we were there, I'm on the first tee and there was two kids with their hats on backwards and their shirts untucked, one guy with a bud Light t shirt and an old guy with Cyprus point shirt and was it pulling a trolley? And that's the clientele they have, and it's very diverse, and it was just a cool facility. And he goes, well, they've they'd been trying to rebuild this for years, but you know, the money, you know, the wrong people got involved, and the price tag was up to five million to rebuild it, and it just died. And it was like his vision. It was prior guized to him, but he was the impetus behind it, and he's a trustee on the Tennessee Golf Foundation. I go, I could see this. It was like I always tell people, I saw it in slow motion. How cool this place could be. It's a hub for all these walkers, you know, they park in the parking lot and go up and hike in the mountains there. The Mountain Biking group is out of that parking lot in clubhouse too, and then there's this cute little nine hole golf course. I think it was part thirty four, and I could just see it. You know, I grew up playing public nine hole, public golf courses in Detroit, okadd eat and all that stuff, so I could see how this could be. The more people I talked to that was the first golf ball they had ever hit was on that place, especially all the people there in Belle Meat, which is a pretty steep neighborhood. So I said, yeah, this is doable. Let me do a drawing while I'm here. So on the side, you know, on the side at night, I was doing little design plans for it, and that kind of got the ball rolling.
Speaker 1: How did the funding end up coming together? What was your budget and what ended up being the scope of the project.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they said the only way we're going to do this. You know, there was always a group called the Friends of Warner Park that Jenny Hannon ran that, and she they heard a mechanism to raise funds for Warner Park and they were putting millions and dollars into the park doing these great allays and masonry work. So the mechanisms in there, and then the Tennessee Golf Foundation got involved, you know, through Stuart, So we had turned by the president of that and then Jim Seaberry, two very powerful guys in the uh you know, Tennessee Golf got involved and we and I think Stuart what he did is he played golf. He heard the Mayor Cooper was a golfer. It was like a like a closet golfer. After a long day, he'd been seen on Harborth Hills, which is around the corner, playing golf at six o'clock at night, pulling his own you know, carrying his own bag. And Stuart goes, we need to get a hold of that guy. Stewart invited him to some kind of an outing and befriended him and said, hey, listen, you know this would be pretty cool. You know, the park system is not really funding these you know, these golf courses as well. Prissy Warner had two guys maintaining that golf course. That's all it was. So we got into the Mayor Cooper John Cooper's ear, and that kind of got the ball rolling. So then between Mayor Cooper, the Tennessee Golf Foundation and the friends at Warner Park, they put it all together and we started having fund raising events so they'd fly me in and we'd have a cocktail party at somebody pretty famous as a house, you know, and just bringing people in and started raising fun We wanted to raise two and a half million dollars and so it was it was a grassroots movement and all I would go to these meetings and you know, Sarah, Sarah Ingram, like kirs Cut captain, you know, she was at these meetings, you know, and she was all on board. So we had people like that in the month. Once the money, once we got raised over a million bucks, we knew we could pull this off. So they pulled me in officially. I brought in Mcurret Golf out of Florida because I have such a good relationship with them. The contractor, I said, we're just going to come in as a package deal. I think the budget my budget was one point seven million dollars, twelve new greens, you know, nine new greens, and then I built a big short game practice facility for the PJ junior program, a big putting course. So we had twelve new greens, twelve brand new bunkers, used bunker solutions, you know, the latest technology, all new tea's in a brand new single row irrigation system. So what we did was, I knew this still had to be maintainable, sustainable and playable. So you know, we didn't go hogwhile like some of these projects, whether it's and and you know one point there are two point five million dollars is a lot easier to raise than twenty million.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and so.
Speaker 2: It it it. The ball kept rolling. I'm like, I look at Stewart, I'm like, I think we're gonna actually do this, you know, and we actually pulled it off and started last year, and that you know, there was there was some hesitation from the city. You know, they were kind of setting their ways and like now we're we're just gonna do this. We're going to hand it to you, but we're also we all also need to know that you guys are on board and gonna maintain this. So we squeezed the bureaucracy and you know, between us and Mayor Cooper on the top, we squeezed down into him and they started believing it and it was just a project of passion for everybody. Jim Nance got involved because Jim lives seven doors down the road, and so he'd come out and walk the golf course with me and uh, you know a lot of people involved, so it was, you know, a great pleasure for all of us. It's turned out really good. We got a little bit of a late start, you know, hooking up a water line to the city water line. Didn't didn't realize how much red tape that would be. We thought we'd just tap into the waterline, would be good. But you know, you got to go through all kinds of agencies. But we so we had a little late starting grass and the greens. So that's why we had the formal ribbon cutting last month with you know, Jim and I were Jim nance was there to speak and I gave a speech too, and all the donors got to be there and hand out all these cool hats and stuff like that. And we're going to open up sometime early summer when it's it's perfect.
Speaker 1: You know, a lot of municipal courses would love to have a couple million dollars, but that is such a small budget compare to most golf construction projects these days. Even if you're talking about a little renovation, like a little tweak here and there, the millions start adding up really quickly. How do you do a project like this on that kind of budget, or I guess that the real question is how do you produce good golf course design? Because you made some fairly dramatic changes out there, How do you make good golf course design happen on a budget that small? What do you kind of extract from the usual process. What do you say, Okay, we don't need that, and then what do you focus on?
Speaker 2: I didn't pay much back, you know. The one thing was building the greens is Bermuda greens. You know, you don't need the USGA greens. We just we just build them on the top so and spread some sand on top and put some drainage and called it good. So that's a million dollar thing right there, lop off of somebody else's budget. I only had twelve bunkers, you know. Tom Tom was always like bunkers overrated, you know, gust only as thirty. You know, it's all about ground features, and that's what I did. I concentrated on building really cool greens that were accessible. So there, you know, say the first first hall, we have a bunker on the left hand side that you could tuck the pin behind, but have open approach and fair way all the way around, even to the backside of the green, so it's chipping, chipping all the way around, and that's sustainable because the mainans crew, you know, we're hoping to have four people maintain this golf course when we open up. We've asked for that, and he just takes the fairwaym over and rams it, you know, goes right around the green and the backside. So building all these cool short grass areas, which I love in the first place, are easier to maintain for them. So we rolled that short grass right into the second te so you're just constantly walking on short grass. So it's it is sustainable and it's maintainable and it's very playable. You know, I didn't. I didn't pull any punches on the greens. They're cool greens. There's some contour them, but they're accessible because at least half of the approach is open, so you know, high handiciffers can run the ball in. And there's always you know a couple of really tasty hull locations for for really good players. You know, we plan and have some cool events, amateur events there just because the places you know, place rocks. So you know, I didn't, I didn't. I would say I didn't dumb me down the design. I just figured out how to maintain it with least amount of money. And the tea's are just top soil tees, you know, it's fine. Single row irrigation was huge.
Speaker 1: I was gonna ask about that.
Speaker 2: That's old school, that's oht school. And that's all you did when the when the fairways are thirty five yards wide, because we have tree lines, that's all you need. And it's bermuda, you know that. And we and we didn't regrass the fairways. We only regrassed around the greens around the tees. And these fairways, you know, Darrowin had kicked in for many years. It's the you know, the survival of the fittest. These great fairways were pure. You know, last winter most of the country clubs had winter kill in their bermuda, and we had no winter kill, you know, because it's just old school, unrrigated. You know, the irrigation system they had before we got there were quick couplers. You know, that's that's somebody walking around night watering and they hadn't done it a long time. So but the grass, so the grass knew how to grow without all the nutrients. All the high profile stuff, so it was laying there, and to me, it's just, you know, it's kind of going back to you know, all the great courses that I've studied, and you know, we all studied as kids, and everything built before nineteen twenty was just like I built now. So you know, that's how you do it. You just build old school and just be fine. You know, we're not going to have the greens thirteen on the stint meter. You know, we're going to mower a tease at a half inch as the same as the airways because you're using the tea, and we're gonna mow the greens, you know, obviously an eighth inch or lower. But you know they all surface drained, we have good soils under them, and we have you know, we did do ins and out irrigation heads around the greens so we can control the water and the greens versus the outside. But it wasn't that hard. It was just kind of going back to your roots and going you know a lot of this, these fifteen million dollars renovations. I just pulled my hair out. I'm like, where are you is spending the money I'm used to If you look at my projects. You know, I just just came from Weathersfield Country Club in Hartford. They used to have the Sammy Davis, the g h O was there before they moved over the and we we rebuilt all the bunkers and I regrassed, you know, all the short gas around the greens, expanded the fairways, built, built a handful of tea's for well under a million dollars. And that's just as that's just as good as anybody else's, right, you know, the fifteen million dollars. So I don't know where the extra zero is going. Hopefully it's in their pockets, somebody's podcasts. But I think, you know, some of the some of the modern construction is a bit excessive, and so that's how we did it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's important to, you know, say it louder for the people in the back. Like that's even in an environment of rising costs, it's possible to find ways to do these things without spending enormous amounts of money. And that's really important for these municipal facilities especially. You know, a lot of municipal courses that I see spend a lot of money on bunkers are frustrated with their bunkers. Their bunkers are sort of money pits, so to speak. Right, and and and you know, some end up getting rid of them or not maintaining them very well, or you know, finding solutions that are maybe not ideal for the quality of the golf course. You built a new set of bunkers at Percy Warner. There aren't many of them, as you mentioned, you don't need many. But when it comes to shaping a bunker for a facility like this, what does an easily maintainable bunker look like?
Speaker 2: You know, there's simple forms. You know, I'm still an artist, so I you know I snuck in some cool stuff into them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you don't. I Bruce Heppner doesn't just want to go and build ovals, right, you want to You want to do something else? So how do you do that while also making them easily maintainable.
Speaker 2: Here's what we did is you know, obviously, you know the two guys that maintain the golf gross oh my god, you know, get rid of the bunkers. We can't, you know, I go first of all, get rid of that Sampro. I go there, sanm Proo is not getting in my bunkers. Second of all, we're going to hand rate these bunkers only when they need them. If somebody was not in that bunker head yesterday, why are we raking it today? And third I took that right off their their plate because Kevin Ford, who's the golf pro over it over this in Harbeth Hills, he has one of the great a great PGI junior program, you know, Jim Nantz's kids in it. He has a hundred and some odd kids in his programs. So I built that facility for him. The first lesson of the program is go learn how to fix ballmarks and go to learn how to rake bunkers. So the kids are going to rake the Bunkers's how I did that. And they're gonna fix ball marks first before they ever hit a ball. So I took that off them. But to build them, you know, they're not high flashes, but we use bunker solutions, which is that kind of carpeting you put on the floors. So if I did flare and he sand I flared to stand up, it'll it'll it'll stay up in the face to keep it, you know, keep the bunkers from being contaminated and the rule is, and I do this at all my courses. What I've realized is bunker maintenance wears up bunkers, not golfers, you know. And the only reason we have to maintain bunkers because golfers do a crap be job breaking their own bunkers. So my motto is, you know, hand rake, but only spot rake. Only rake the area where that it was disturbed, where somebody did a bad job of raking yesterday, or if nobody was in it, stay out of it and keep those sandpros out of there. You know, they're the ones that chew things up. They think it's easy to do, and they just destroy bunkers. And they're small, they're thousand square foot bunkers or less. They're not huge, and they're perfectly located, and uh, you know, I also build them, you know, properly build bunkers, don't allow water to run into them from the outside. So you know, I know how to build bunkers. So you'll see that there's some art to them, but they're very maintainable.
Speaker 1: So I understand there's more work for you on the docket at Nashville's municipal courses. What what can you tell me about that. What more is going to happen?
Speaker 2: Luckily, Mayor Cooper is not the may anymore. He was that was his last term, but he was so excited and so happy of the product we did at Percy Warner just before he left office. That you know, they know, I don't know what a budget of a Nashville city, but it's probably close to a billion dollars, you know, in of a budget. He gifted us are granted us the Tennessee Golf Foundation two million dollars out of the city funds to go over and take on Shelby Golf Club golf course, which is over in East Nashville, which is kind of the hipster area. A lot of people are moving there. You know, a lot of guys walking around jeans rolled up and work boots and.
Speaker 1: You know, beards, and they didn't just come from a construction site to a bar now.
Speaker 2: But it's a nineteen twenty three Ross course. You know, Ross never built it, but he did drawings for it and it's his routing, so they have it is the least played golf course in the Nashville circuit. Nashville owned seven golf courses. Brent Seneker grew up playing there. Lou Graham grew up playing there. So we've got them involved. So basically, you know what I can do for two million bucks. I did a plan and we just said we're capping at two million bucks. So we're going to rebuild all the greens because they have the winter and summer greens. They are also push them together, build like five to six thousand square foot greens, same kind of technology we OpEd up Percy re irrigate the green sites. They have a relatively new irrigation system throughout the whole place. And then move some cart pass. You know, they've never had an architect working in natural public golf course. Hey we need a car pass. So they send some guy out there and need paints them and half of them like down the middle of a fairway.
Speaker 1: You see this a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get out of it. You know. I was like, oh my god. And the tree luckily they had they had a tornado come by, which is good and bad, but tornado came by and wiped out all the really bad trees that were poorly planted. And so we're going to rebuild all the bunkers, do a little bit of drainage, and any money we have left over from the project, we'll build some tees and then just down the hill from that there is a place called the Vinnie Lynks and Vince Gill was involved in that. So it's a little nine hole part three course for kids and anybody. Very cool facility run by the Tennessee Golf Foundation. Just these cool little short holes. You go over there and you take two clubs with the endplay. There's a great kids program there too. But they when they built them, the greens are great. They're going to have like four bunkers and they're starting to maintain those well. But the teas are small. They have a little strip of AstroTurf and the tea's are like a thousand square feet. So I did a plan to triple the size of the t so you can off of grass all year round, and we're hoping to raise some private money to do that while we're in town, and I m Cure Golf is still going to be the contractor. They love them, I do. I've worked with all them Cure for years, and they get how cool of a project these are. So we're going there. And then at the last at the ribbon cutting, Jim Nance talked about The next golf course we'd like to do is Ted Rhoads. Ted Rhads obviously the famous you know African American golfer, you know, teacher and Tiger mentioned him when he won Augusta. It was one of his heroes. And so Jim Nance kind of looked at the new the new mayor of Freddie O'Connell and looked at him and said, after we do Shelby, I want to be involved, and we want to go to Ted Rhods. He goes, I want to be part of that. So mister mayor, hold on your hats, you know. So I'm I've already done a plan for that place too. It's it's actually not bad shape. We just have to do a few things and potentially build a range. So that's down the road, and then all our eyes are on Harbor Hills, which is the golf course on the other side of the park from Percy Warrener, which is the great golf course of Nashville. It's just unfortunate it's run by the city, but it's uh. They always have the open qualifiers there and it's I've told people, if you let you let me get my mits on that it could be the best course in Tennessee. It's that if the greens are great, the routing is great. I just have to get the car pass out of the way, got a bunch of trees down, and then you know, rebuild it, you know, reconfigure the bunkers so be a little more interesting strategic. So we have three or four more years of working in Nashville, which is.
Speaker 1: Great for me and making your way through the municipal golf system of Nashville. I love it.
Speaker 2: I stay right downtown, and you know, my wife's not always happy because I always come back with a couple of more guitars and go see live music every pretty much every night. So it's it's a it's a great, great city, great vibes. You know, it's a cool place, all right.
Speaker 1: So I'd like to talk a bit about your career more broadly, and I think something that's interesting about your career is that it really spans this current era of architecture that we find ourselves in. You were there toward the beginning of the restoration movement, toward the beginning of the minimalist movement or the Second Golden Age, or whatever you want to call it, and you were helping to shape the direction of all of this. Right, you were working for a firm that was right at the center of it, even though you know it sort of started as this kind of outsider band. Now it's the very center of what's happening in golf course construction, I think. So I'm excited to get your perspective on how that's all unfolded. So if we go back to the beginning of your career in golf architecture about thirty five years ago or so, as I understand it, it was somewhat unusual at this time to be interested in restoring golf courses. It's true, it wasn't obvious to many people or to many clubs that restoration as opposed to redesign or modernization, was the way to go. So what got you interested in golf course restoration?
Speaker 2: When I was in college, I went to I have an Internet Injury from Michigan State on Michigan Tech. And luckily the president of the club or of the college was a golfer, and in the library had they had ron went and spoke the golf course. It was only him and me to ever check it out.
Speaker 1: So you know that's wild, say you know, people this book, its book is incredible. Butever I ask anybody, how did this all start? So many people mentioned this book by Ron Whitten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was his first version, and man, that was I you can only check it out for two weeks at a time, and I'd put it back in the school library and all of a sudden he'd check it out and I'd be mad. So finally one day I went here. They had like open, open visitation chats with the president and I walked in and it was usually people, you know, students bitching about something, you know, some political thing or something. And I walked in. I'm like, how come you're always checking out the how come here you stealing my book? And he looked at me and we became fast friends. He ended up being the green chairman of vent Tanna Canyon out and when he retired out in Tucson, but we sat He's like I was a breath of fresh air. But you know, I studied that book, forward him back and then you know, sent out three hundred resumes. You know, that was the boom period right nineteen ninety golf. That's when National Golf Foundation was proclaiming we had to build a golf course for every day of the year, you know, to keep up to the man. So I saw these resumes out and had a bunch of job offers and Mike, luckily Mike Kurdson, had sent my resume to Ron Force, who had just started a year before that, like maybe six months in the business. And I thought that, you know, I was thirty at the time. I was an older student and I was I was a golf I was an auto designer before that. So I was late coming in the into the business and my age wise, and Ron gave me the best opportunity to start jump in right away. And Ron was Ron was a big reason, you know. He was into the old architecture and h Granted we were struggling just trying to get any job. We could rebuild a green here there. But the first course we worked, I was Lancaster Country Club in in Lancaster, Ohio.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: Nine holes of Ross, Pennsylvania. Yeah, Jack, Jack Killman, I think Mike Kurtzon and Kittle, I think it was Jack Kileman and did nine holes there. And when we we we got the job and we started seeing these old drawings and how cool the Ross course was different from Jack's course that got us into that, and so Ron and I, Tom and Gill. You know, Tom was I think working at Piping Rock via via Pe at the time, so they were doing it. And Brian Silla, you know, because he wrote that the one article about Ross. We were the only ones doing this kind of stuff actually going around, you know, and you know, part of Ron's in my studies were going to see as many courses we could, you know, we go consult somewhere and then go see ten Gough courses. So the more we went around, we realized, I think the collective group of us, Tom and Gill and Ron and I and Brian that you know, most of these courses have been modernized, you know, in the fifties, sixties, seventies and eighties. You know, modern architects were better than the old masters. Nobody knew these guys, you know, until Frank Hannagin wrote that. Hannagin wrote that wrote that article about Albert, telling us nobody knew who he was. So we were going around and I was co calling all these clubs and going wow, you know, and just kind of peeling through the layers and seeing these old drawings that maybe these original architects were pretty good and then they were onto something originally, and so that's kind of how we started getting work. And you know, so Ron and I we built a few a handful of golf courses. But that was you know, that sparked my fire. This was fascinating the history, doing the archaeology and kind of how easy it was to see how things had changed. And I remember my courage and told Ron, he goes the best way to learn, you know, asked about me, like, the best way he can learn is to go remodel or consultant clubs and learn how people, learn from people's mistakes and learn from people's successes, how to be against consultants. So I earned my chops with Ron. And then three years later I was I was kind of getting either homesick. I wanted to get back to Michigan. You know, Uniontown, Pennsylvania wasn't where it was happening for me and my wife. So I had a few architects interested in bringing me on because I started to make a reputation for myself. And then Gil had left Tom at the time, and I'd call Tom like once a month and asked him some stupid questions. It was like, Chris Farley, you know, hey, man, it was really cool you did that.
Speaker 1: And uh so you remember when yeah, remember when you built high Point.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly. And I called Bill Core and he called me. You know, I called all those guys and I was just bugging everybody because I was I have a thirst for it. It was a passion for this. And when Gil left, Tom heard that I might be I had a job offer from Jerry Matthews. It was kind of a regional architect in Michigan and Tom didn't like him at all. They didn't like each other. And because you're not gonna go work for Jerry, you have to come work for me, I'm like, okay.
Speaker 1: Good, Oh that's classics. So Tom was prompted to hire you because Jerry Matthews was gonna hire you.
Speaker 2: You didn't want me to make him good. So yeah. So then you know, early on with Tom, we didn't have a whole lot of work. But my deal with Tom is I got to keep doing consulting, and that was I've done that for thirty years now, you know, and I probably did while I was there for seventeen years. I probably did eighty eighty percent of the consulting work from Renaissance, all on my own, my own jobs, and Tom was fine with that as long as it didn't interfere with new projects. So when I was running bally Neil or stream Song or something like that, when the Shapers would go home for two weeks, I would go build bunkers somewhere else, and I built in. I had a built in business when I left Tom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. So early days at Renaissance Golf Design with Tom Doak, I assume it was more or less you, Tom, Jim Orbina. It was in the mid nineties, That's pretty much. What were those early days like in that firm?
Speaker 2: Oh they're fun, you know, Okay, we had so much fun. We didn't have a whole lot of work. So, you know, Jim Tom and hired Jim just before Gil left and Jim was running Charlotte Golf Club. And so I moved to Travors City, which was great for us, my wife and I because we love Trevor City. And so the first year, you know, I just govered Tom's house for an hour. We'd play with some drawings and get on the phone and try and we didn't even have an office. Try and you know, drum up some work and luckily my consulting business so as his was doing fine, paying the bills but not much. And then I think the first job we got was either Evansville coil crossing, I think of that, and that's where I didn't necessarily want to run. I wanted to learn how to shape. You know, Jim was a good shaper coming from the die and Tom was an adequate shaper too, and so I wanted to That's what I wanted to learn how to do. And so those early days where it was all hands on deck, we brought Tom Meat on board. He was an ex superintendent. So it's kind of the four of us. And you know those early jobs in h if Jim would run a job, I'd help shape or vice versa. And then we started bringing on young talent. You know, when we were building Beach Tree in Baltimore, that was my first job to run on my own, and so Jim was shaping, I was doing some shaping. Tom Mead would come into a little shaping. And then we had Brian Slank was my intern from Michigan State and he lived with me, and uh, you know that that that I've told people that was a game changer bringing him on board because he was all about the finish work and uh, but we'd all be on site work all day, set up to sundown, just having a ball and then going out at night, going to the bars a night drinking, hanging out. Just the camaraderie is insane. And then you know, he kept building. Don Placer got on board, you know, we got brought in. He started running the office that so that got me out completely out in the field of shape and run projects. Then Eric Iverson came on, then Brian Schneider and I remember when we were building, uh we finished Cape Cape Kidnappers, we had the Renaissance Cup and I was in the cart with John Ashworth. Here's a dear friend of all of ours who runs lank Saul. Now he goes, man, you guys are like you guys are like the Stones because you guys having so much fun. You guys are rock stars and like, no, not really, but we do have fun. But you know, those early days were just you know, having that much talent on one job and just doing that, having fun, building great golf courses that we knew we were building great stuff. You know, we were working for Tom. Yeah, you know, the the energy was huge.
Speaker 1: And that team kind of came together over the course of the of the late nineties. It seems like right because he started as a very small firm and eventually assembled this uh this all star now all star cast around you. You know. Some one thing that happened in those early days at Renaissance Golf Design was that sand Hills come online. I wonder what your memories are of the impact of that project or what impressed you about what they were doing, what was new anything like that. How did sand Hills affect you back then?
Speaker 2: No, it's huge, you know. It was a game changer. It was basically, if you build it, they will cal him kind of deal and you could build it anywhere. All you had do was find great land. I remember talking to Bill one of my dumb phone calls to Bill, you know, bugging him. He was talking about sand Hills. You know, it was still just in its infancy. He had just got back, He and Ben had just got back from there. They were traveling around in a helicopter with Ron Witten, Doug Peterson, and Dick Young's cap looking at sites. And he was telling me, he goes, Bruce, you know you know, Bill, he's so humble. He goes, Bruce, you're not going to understand how great this land is. You know, it's in the middle of nowhere, so we don't know how this is going to work. And we had all we'd all heard the stories, you know, Dave Excellent and Dan were the great Finnish guys, and we always heard these stories about them handwraking the entire golf course or whatever. It was all about finish work in the details, and that's what you know, got Brian Slok and all of us like really interested in that, you know, sand pro work, handwork, hand edging bunkers not bulldozers, and you know, and that kind of turned us on where like, that's what we all want to do. That sounds cool. And I did. I saw it just at you know should. I spent five days there playing golf with these guys you know there, and it was just mind boggling, like this is this is what should be done. And luckily Mike Kaiser became a member so that could be done. And then Mike started searching the world for great Land and ended up in Oregon, and you know, we got involved in that, but that it it was the game changer. You know. We had a we had an architectural event that you know Thomas so self, he wanted to get all these architects together, you know, and not dictate the future, but talk about the future. So we had this event gathering architects and we came called it Archipelaza for a stupid name, and that's what we called it. The first one was we invited everybody in the business to come and let's get all this architect get architects together somewhere very cool and hash things out. Where's the future of architecture? Where are we going? And that's how cool Tom is. He's forward thinking. So we had it at the sand Hills. We figured, if only the places, this is the future of golf. None of the main architects showed up. They sent all their associates, which are all dear friends of mine now and they're all good architects now. They didn't want to come because they put their nose up to Tom. They didn't known them like Tom at the time. So Bill Courr's there, and Ron Forrest, you know, Ian Andrews. There a lot of people, you know, a lot of cool All the cool people in the business showed up. To that thing, and we played golf, and at night we sat here and talked to about things, and we all introduce each other. And I got up in front of everybody a little nervous, and I said, you know, what you saw today is the benchmark we will all be judged at from this point on. This is how epic this place is. And some people are like rolling their eyes, but I knew that that was that would be the most important modern course for the next hundred years because it sets the tone of minimalism, finding great land, finding golf on the land, and obviously having Bill and Ben do at the same time. It's pretty cool. And it's true that was the benchmark, and we're always going to be judged on that. Granted, you know, I think bally Neils could go toe to toe Pacific Students has an ocean, but you'll never It's like Muhammad Ali, it's give me the raining champion forever. You're never going to knock them out, so don't try. But you're going to be real close seconds, you know. So I you know, working for Tom all those years, that was our stride. We were, you know, bally Neil. I spent a lot of time at sand Hills, learning from it, mistakes, good things, bad things, whatever, wherever we could peel from that to make Bally Meal different. I didn't want to make Saniels two point zero, so I wanted to be completely different, and we did. You know, we on the mowing lines, the native edges, the positioning of the bunkers, things like that. I learned a ton from that golf course.
Speaker 1: Reminds me of the Beach Boys and the Beatles going back and forth in the sixties, m with you know, pet sounds, revolver, Sergeant Pepper's, you know, just kind of raising the game, and certainly Pacific Dunes. My impression is that it was a It was a new level for Tom Duk and for renaissance golf design. What do you think allowed that to happen? Was the inspiration of sand Hills part of it? What were some of the what was the mixture that allowed that course to be so good?
Speaker 2: It was Tom? You know, Tom was a great leader. Tom was always comfortable his own skin. You know, he's always understated of the elegant. He never Tom had never overcooked the soup, so he knew it was appropriate and we just followed his lead and we all knew going in, you know, this is our big this is our big deal, this is our sand Hills, and so we all took it seriously. Jim, you know, Jim obviously ran it. I was out there sit almost one hundred and fifty days. Don Plask was there, Brian Slog came into his own and we banded dudes existed, So we knew that, but we didn't want to build that. That was more you know, it was David Kidd's first project was more of a modern golf course on an epic site. But we knew ours was going to be that good because the routing was brilliant, the landforms were there, and we just we all had I'll never forget the first day we were there, the hair and I Becker next. It's still up right now thinking about it, walking that site and look at each other. It's just porn rain. We're all walking on trudging around this property, and uh, you know, and Tom and I visited the site probably two years before that, just before David was building. Bandon Bill she and one of Tom's great friends from Chicago told it, you know, kind of hooked up Tom with Mike Kaiser. Mike says, well, come out and look at it. You know, David's my guy. But if he fails, you're on deck and then maybe you can maybe, you know, look at the second course. So, uh, Tom and I went out there before we went to San Francisco Turf Show. Spent a few days walking with Shorty down Now they're just opening Shorty's the nineteen hole golf course. But Shorty that was the caretaker and that was a great day. We you know, we were walking on our walking around what we thought would have been our property, and we peeked over the hill and looked at this and oh my, you know, David, go ahead and go ahead and build that golf course. We want to build that. And Mike hadn't known the property yet, but Tom told him, if you ever have a chance, open that, you know, by that land north of abandoned dunes. And it came up for sale a couple of years later and got Tom involved, and and you know, Tom and Jim worked on it hard on the routings, and we all came out and but it was just the vibe we all and for some reason, you know, don if you go in the maintenance building, Ken Nice, the superintendent was hitting his stride. But if you go in the maintenance building, there's still a drawing the Don Placic Don Placic. You know, he's a brilliant artist. And he did it on a whiteboard with a black pan, drew all the planets in line like this. All the plants were up in a row. And that's what we all said, the plants are in a row. Movie built Pacific Dunes, And it's true.
Speaker 1: Who is the best shaper that you've ever worked with? Eric Iverson and he came on board, he was part of that late nineties. Yeah, this is.
Speaker 2: The most all he basically taught. You know, Jim was a good shaper, but Jim and Jim had always leave a mess, and he kind of taught us all to run bulldozers. But when Eric came on board, Eric's the most elegant shaper. You know, every pass has a purpose, and he kind of mentored both Brian's and they're fantastic shapers now they're equals to him. But he kind of taught us all, you know, and I'm kind of self taught in an excavator. You know, we had so much good talent on bulldozers and bulldoze beat that beat the crap audio. You know, I was, I was the older guy, and like, you know, I'd be okay getting out of one of those things. And that's when we started using excavators, and I'm like, I think I'm gonna getting get in one of those because you're just sitting there and the only thing you can get is Carple Tunnel Center basically. And so I got really good in that. Well, everybody else, you know, the rock Stars are still the great great Shapers are still bulldozer operators who can jump into excavators too, but they're still They built the landforms, they built the greens, and I got really good at excavator because then I could be I like on the bunkers. But Eric is is still He's brilliant, brilliantly elegant. You know, I call him the Binkie. When Tom, Tom needs the go to guy, brings in Eric, you know, and both other Brian's and kais a great Shaper he'd brings. He'd bring Schneider in when he wanted something wild hair, you know, some crazy has grain he'd bring him. And same with with Kai, he know, something really crazy, bringing Kai and then Brian Sloank somewhere in between. You know, I spent the summer on the weekends, I was shaping over at high Point building bunkers, and Brian Slank is basically building the whole damn thing himself, you know, And God's he good. He is. Just he's going so far beyond me. It's scary. You know. He's my intern. He lapped me the year or two. That guy. He's a smart dude, and ah got such a great eye. He's a musician too, so that's kind of cool. But he's got such a great eye and a great, great shaper. Now, I was pretty fun. I hadn't worked with him in ten twelve years. To hang out a high Point this summer and watch him and Tom work together, I just, you know, I'm usually the guy walking with Tom, so I just was in the background, just prouds can be. Like, man, these cats still got it.
Speaker 1: When it comes to elegance and shaping or that little layer of finish work that just makes a golf course something better. Yep, what do you look for? Is there a way even to describe that. I have a hard time with this As somebody who writes a lot about golf architecture, I really have a hard time describing to people in words, why this bit of shaping is just a little bit better than this other bit of shaping that is similar, maybe inspired by some of the stuff that you and the team did at Renaissance Golf design or that Corn Crunshaw did you know, But it's but it's not there, it's not fully there. How do you identify that or describe that extra bit of excellence in shaping?
Speaker 2: What it is is knowing how soon to get off it? Build something running over with a dozer and a sampro and get off it. That's what nature is. Nature is get You know, natural can't. Landforms are beat up, beat up by wind, by erosion, by things of nature. You know, it's not it's not pretty. And I always tell people human nature is to make things pretty to their eye. And I see a lot of golf, a lot of shaping, and a lot of golf courses polish too much. It's I always say, it's like when you're polishing a nice fine piece of furniture, when do you stop? There's no point, you know, you just keep buffing and buffing and buffing. We know when to stop buffing. You stop buffing right really soon you don't. We don't want them to be pretty. We don't have to be natural. So you know, we're building Pacific Dunes. Jim Wild go away for a couple of weeks, and then I'm remember vividly working on the ninth Ferry with Brian, Brian Slanik and I we had two weeks just we call it f and up that fairway, you know, and you know it's like go with a you know, D four and gouge some you know, just randomly gouge and then come in with a samprone run them over and just it's random contours. It's it's it's fighting your human nature to make something perfect. That's how you do it. And you know, when you get off it, I'm like, oh yeah, that's good, move on. You know, if I spend too much more time on that, it's going to look like a human built it. So that's to me, that's the key. I I remember teaching guys how to build mounds or moguls. You know, we hate mounds, you know, modern mounds. It's like Tom goes, when you start, when you build a when do you stop? You have to keep building them just to time in all of each other. You know these faux links golf courses that have mounds on them that look just got awful. They don't look natural. So Pete Diovis, you say change the rate of change. That was a great I always thought that was a great thought. If you have a mound, you know, you say you have four or five mounds sitting there, five mounds because you want them odd. You want them all to be different. You want them to look like wind blown. So wind blown dunes have a leeward side where it's long and then drops off at the end. You know, some are pointed mounds, some are flat tops, some are round, some are awkward. You're just trying to make them awkward. That's nature. And also look around, you know, the biggest key for me is like nature's everywhere. Just go look at the woods and look at the contours in the woods and just replicate those there. You just got your eyes open. It's it's not that hard. It's just you have to fight your human instinct to make something pleasing to your eyes, even though natural is more pleasing. You just your brain doesn't work that way. So that's kind of how I always tell shapers, Hey, just go make a mess. We'll clean it up, and it might look really cool, and usually go.
Speaker 1: Make a mess, start cleaning it up, and stop before you get all the way all the way to win it.
Speaker 2: You know, you know Slanak and Schneider and Eric, they're just brilliant at building those fairway contours, and so as you know Angela, you know all the young things that we've trained over the years, they're all good at it too. It's just going on quirky. You got to make sure it drains. You don't understand drainage, but just understand how natural dunes work and how the wind blows one side and the other side steep or back and forth. Just don't know over I always say, I always give Tom credit for teaching us restraint. And Tom is the best at it. He does know his go not his guy. Golf courses are over eye candied. He thinks, you know, eye candy is just unnecessary nuisance to get pictures taken of their golf course. Tom is all about ground features and greens and bunkers are bunkers are important, But the frilliness of the bunkers he couldn't care less about. He was like, and he gets it. Bill. You know, I always tell people Bill and Tom are the great architects because they think about golf all the time, and we were building golf courses. For Tom, he was about golf, and he gave us a little bit of time to make it look cool because we wanted to look cool. You know, it's all the chunkying and all that frilly bunkers. He only gave us so much time as like, hey, man, move on to the next hall. So we snuck in the artwork where I think modern golf courses now are all about artwork, not a lot about golf. And those two guys are still you know, Thomas Thomas back to number one right now. That work he's putting out is insane and so different than anybody else. You know, when everybody's zigging, he's zagging because he's not smarter than everybody. And the golf courses he's cranking out in this short period right now are so diverse and so good and so understated. You know, not a lot of freely bunkers. You know, they're just pure golf. So that's kind of how we look at it, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Bruce, we haven't talked yet about restoration, and that's been a lot of your work, especially since you left Renassance Golf Design about thirteen years ago. I think around right after you built stream Song Blue you ran that construction.
Speaker 2: Actually, it's like Tom came to me just we were just starting, you know, Jim and just been let go a year before that by Tom, and he came to me and said, we're just about to start stream Song and I wanted to do that, and he goes everything about going on your own, and he goes, I'm signing all these contracts of all your projects. Go yeah, I can see the writing on the walls. Twenty ten, you know, stock market just crashed and he was trying to cut cut salaries. Yeah, that nice timing. But he said he can take all your clients with you, they'd be fine, And so I ran stream Song Is under Hepner Golf Design and then I had I had thirty clients right out of the box. So I've been going pretty strong since a.
Speaker 1: Lot of those are long term clients, clients that you've you know, you started with under Renaissance Golf Design and have continued to work with even to the present day. You know, this might be a hard question to answer, like picking your favorite kid or something but what is the most satisfying restoration that you've been part of?
Speaker 2: They're all good, you know. The cool part is probably once once I went on my own, a lot of them start the rest. You know, all my restorations are slow burns. You know, I have thirty three clients. I had to did a list. I have thirty three current clients. Fifteen of them are twenty five years or older I've had as a client, and so a lot of them are slow burns. We're not doing these fifteen million dollar jobs. We've been doing slow burns over the years and restoring these places, and it takes you know, a lot of these early on, they weren't nobody was in. It wasn't in vogue like it is today to drop fifteen million bucks on a classic golf course. They didn't even know they had a classic golf course when it first started. It, so we would, you know, pick pick away at the golf courses. So about about twenty ten, a lot of them started to really come together. Like Blue Mount. It took a long time to get Blue Mount where it is, and we still got some ways to go. I'm gonna rebuild all the bunkers next year.
Speaker 1: And this is a Seth Rainer design in Wisconsin. Just yeah, really classic Seth Rainer stuff now, but it didn't look like that about twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: Full of pine tree, you know, spruce trees. So you know a lot of them are starting to come together and like wow, you know, I could see it. You know, I can see the force from the true on these old designs, So it's pretty obvious to me. It's just not obviously everybody else, especially the members. So I don't think, you know, I just like my body of work, it's all. I always tell people I work at the coolest clubs in the country. You know, they're not. There's a handful of Top hundred courses there and I've worked at a bunch of them and built a few, but a lot of them are like just like the second hundred, like below the radar, you know, obviously Cape Rundell and places like that. A hundred go up a fairfield. A lot of those just small ones that they've allowed me to do my job. And that's my sens right now. That's that's all I you know, I'm getting not close to retiring, but I'm slowing things down a bit, and I just want to help. I want clubs that want to be helped and let me help them. And I have a whole stable full of them. So there's you know, it's hard to pick. I got thirty three of them. There's some cool ones and nobody's heard of North Shore Golf Club up and Wisconsin on North Lakewood and Bago. That's unbelievably cool. You know, there's a lot of Belvedere obviously up here is getting a lot of ink. Tim Acquana down Jacksonville starting to get a marine because he just you know, Jim Firkez event. I couldn't be more proud of that. That's that could be some of my best work there.
Speaker 1: At tim Aquana in Florida.
Speaker 2: Oh man, it turned out really good. I'm I'm luckily I'm a member there now, so I plan on. I don't know if I'm retired there. I spent a lot more time there because it's just a golf course, so walkable, so playable, so much fun, challenging. I just love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looks great. I haven't been there myself, but I'd really like to go sometime. You know. Essex County Club is one that you've worked on for a long time. And that's one of my very favorite courses. And the superintendent there, Eric Richardson, is one of the best of the business. My impression is that he could work at just about any club he wanted to, but he wants to work there.
Speaker 2: I just did a big two. I was like said, I was on the East Coast before I drove back home. I was there Cape Rundle, there and Booth Bay Harbor, all in three different days. And Eric is just the best. You know. They they came hard at him, really hard for Brookline before they put it up. They came twice hard at him, and he is he could be the best by far. And we're going to rebuild all those bunkers over the next five years. He's got two excavators. I'm just gonna, you know, jet In build ten bunkers. He's going to put him back together. That's a slow burn too, And and it's a lot of it has to do one is a lot has to do with superintendent, but it also has to do with the comfortable how comfortable the membership is in their skin. Essex County is just the greatest membership. They're just so chilled and they don't care about anybody else, Brookline and all you know, Charles River and all those other ones. They just do their own thing, and that's those are great clubs. I love working at those places.
Speaker 1: That's such an important point. There's a lot of monkey see, monkey do among American private clubs right now.
Speaker 2: It's the worst.
Speaker 1: Everybody's doing the same stuff. Yeah, yeah, and you know, and it's better stuff than was done in the open doctor era, I think. But you have to appreciate a place like Essex County or a place like cap Arundle, which I also absolutely love, because you've worked there with the superintendent's hand in hand and with the membership over decades. It's been so patient. And something that I think is really important about that process is that it allows the golf courses to continue to feel like themselves, to continue to feel old.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: This has been a big hobby horse of mine lately. People who have read some of my recent writing might be bored of me talking about it again. But I love when a course feels as old as Essex County does. Even though you're there, Eric is there dialing things in, making things better, still feels like nineteen seventeen out there.
Speaker 2: That's the key in these these new projects. My wife made her really get my wife, deb it's a beautiful woman. Yesterday we were talking about this and she goes, our current generation and this this has to do with the projects being built, these fifteen to twenty million dollars renovations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that happened all at once, right, yeah, one one off season, all of a sudden boom.
Speaker 2: And what what she and I call it? Clickbake architetract architecture. It's Instagram architecture, and it's built for the photograph. You know, it's like boom and they are you know, you look at you know, all these open courses being built or BGA courses being built, and they are stunning, but they don't look old. And my wife said yesterday, she goes, we have five senses in this. A lot of people are only using one on their eyes and the feel of golf. And that's why you go to Cape Arundel. You taste it, you smell it, you hear it the wind blowing, you feel it in your feet, you feel it in your hands as well as your eyes. But you're using all your senses when you play a great old golf course. And these rebuilt wonders are mono stands of perfect grass, perfect you know, crush quartz sand which isn't even natural, Billy bunkers under them, which is not natural. You know.
Speaker 1: Our systems USGA spec all that, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, the air system precision air underneath just absurd. And that's how you get to twenty million dollars. And I've looked at them all and they don't feel old. They just feel like, you know, it feels like a resto mod you know, I'm in the cars too, so it feels like a You watch Meekham and you see this great Mustang come by and it's got a brand new engine and it's got big jig spinner wheels on it. You're just like yuck, you know, And that's what some of these feel like. You know, they're they're done really well, they're they're spectacular, but do they feel old? Do they play old? No, they don't. They don't have the modeled grass. They have that that one hundred years of fairway turf that we have at Cape Runnell play so beautifully and the greens, you know, just insane obviously. But yeah, that's that's what I have a little issue with, and that's why I like working at my old clubs. You know, I got projects one to two million dollar projects. I'm fixing a golf course and it's just as good as the fifteen million dollar one next door. It might even be better because it feels it still has that smell, taste feel of an old golf course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe that's why you work at so many of these kind of blue blood New England clubs, because that's sort of the vibe.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah, they're they're you know, but they're they're changed into they're all you know, it's the new blood coming in, you know, the young. You know, I'm used to working you know my I always worked with the elders and there you know, when i was thirty, they were all fifty. Now I'm close to I'm sixty, they're all eighty. You know, they're all getting pushed out the boardroom.
Speaker 1: They're getting overwhelmed on the green committee.
Speaker 2: It's happening. It's pretty systemic in my business, so it's kind of it's it's disheartening. I've had to let go a few clubs because they're going in the wrong direction and kind of breaking my heart. But but that's it's happening. Even in some of the old blue blood courses. So it's it's I don't don't. I don't want to sound like a grumpy old guy, but it's it's definitely changing, and the money's the moneys are being spent or just outrageous, and I don't know if these things are if it's sustainable. Yeah, I think Derek, you Derek Duncan when you're I think it's a great guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He was one of our one of our colleagues in the podcasting in the Architecture space.
Speaker 2: Interviewing Don Plask a couple of months ago last month, and he kept going, I think we're going in the wrong direction. You know, didn't we learn from the eighties in the early nineties of our spending, you know, the Nicholas Fazio eras, which they did great jobs, but they were spending twenty million dollars building golf courses. Now everybody spending forty million. But did we learn our lessons from maybe that that the greatest courses that were built in the last twenty five years were by Tom Doak and Bill Kohr, and they were like three million dollars. You know, Pacific Dunes might have been three ballian, you know, I think you get safe to say that ballly Neil Pacific Dunes in Barnbogle were built less than ten million dollars combined, and now we're now we're spending more than ten million dollars restoring a golf course. It just doesn't make sense to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of striking. I mean, it's always interesting to see which lessons we learn from history, because we definitely learn something. I'm not of the of the mind that we learn nothing. And specifically, I think that we've learned about the virtues of tree removal and wider corridors and features that look you know, have the shape of being restored or vintage, looking at old photographs and trying to replicate that stuff. But there might be a more important underlying lesson or series of lessons that we haven't learned about maintainability, sustainability, financial frugality, and just about being yourself and not just doing what everybody else is doing. It seems like those lessons have been more difficult for some reason than the others.
Speaker 2: No, I agree, my big saying everywhere I where I work now, could trying to be the Joneses be the Joneses, you know, let's lead. Let's be the be comfortable in your own skin in the neighborhood. People are going to start looking at you instead of you like, well, they just spend seventeen million. You know, I have a lot of clubs like, well, they spend seventeen million rebuilding their golf course. How come are I doing that? I'm like, well, you're kind of good. You're probably better than them. Why would you Well, it's envy, you know, it's and it's a lot of has to do with, you know, the kind of group of people taking power now. They're they want to be someone who they're not. I want to be them. Like, man, you're luckily most of my clubs and you know, I think I've been the right guy for them. Is like, no, we're pretty cool. We're good. We're comfortable in our own skin. This golf course is fine. We don't need to have pure grass everywhere. We don't have to have the the expensive bunkers. They're just fine. Used the cheap sand, You're just it's just sand, you know, you know, it's as long as a place. Well, why would we spending two hundred bucks a ton to bring it in from Ohio or somewhere. So it's just where we're going in the business with a little disheartening. I got just I've become really good friends with Doddie Pepper and David Memorial, you know, and David's he is a true soul. He's a deep rooted in the history of the game. And I was at their house a couple of weeks ago, spent the night and David just got back from playing like the dinner matches at Urfield or something like that, just flew.
Speaker 1: Back just cool things that David normal does.
Speaker 2: It's like unbelievable the clubs he's a memorat. But there's nobody I know in golf that's more steeped in the history. And we were we were, you know, he and Donnie and I were sitting having dinner and talking about where golf is going, and it was just right after the Ryder Cup, and just the taste of that was just awful, and then the live and the money situation with the players and and where a lot of architectures going. And he goes, I think we're losing the soul of the game, you know, And for him, someone like that just say, it really struck me, and I agree it's like in my business, I think we're losing some of the soul of the game too. And there's plenty of architects out they're more unhappy to spend the twenty million bucks you know. Oh shit, yeah, I'll do that. Yeah, yeah, I'll find a way. I'll give you my version of you know, I think I think Tom said this recently. He goes, oh, there's a lot of restorers of restorers going on right now. You know, all these courses have been restored to getting restored again.
Speaker 1: I know there's courses where where it's we're restoring and I'm like, wait a minute, yeah, did you just do that.
Speaker 2: There's a handful of mine that are you know that I've left, and like, I think I left it in pretty good shape and I only spent like a million bucks restoring that. And the next the young guys coming in going yeah, we're gonna let's drop rebuild everything, and the younger members will be like yeah, because they did it over there, so it's happening. But I thought David was very poignant. You know, we're the game of golf is not very fun to watch on TV anymore, you know. Jim Nansen talked to him about it. He goes, yeah, it's just it's not a very good product. You know, they're they're they're struggling. You know, the fields are you know, with live coming in and we all know what that. You know, we all have our opinions about that. That's just pure money. And then you know the west of the products is watered down. You know, you're going to watch them. We're going to watch the Open, We're going to watch Augusta and maybe a couple other events. But the other stuff is almost unwatchable unless it's a great golf course.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, there's a reason I opened this podcast by talking to you for twenty minutes about Percy Warner, because I think that if we're searching for hope somewhere, that it's got to be in projects like that. And so I think that's something, right.
Speaker 2: Those great hope. You know, every major city, you know, I grew up in all the public courses of Detroit, the city, Detroit city courses, Rackham, ro Gal or all Donald Rossers. I grew up pointing them.
Speaker 1: Those are cool, Yeah, Rackham is yeah, very I.
Speaker 2: Grew up playing. I worked there, you know, I tried to fix the whole that were changed by the when the highway got put in. So I worked there for a while. When I was early working from Iran, I got the original Ross plan. You know, Joe Louiy used to play as he used to have the black PG events there. Right every major city, you know, they're great cities right now. Memphis has a great city program. They've sunk a lot of money into it. San Antonio, San Antonio has an insane public sister.
Speaker 1: Is it Brett Brackenridge Park?
Speaker 2: Telling us, yeah, telling us. So we're modeling what we're doing in Nashville. You know, Luckily, what we have some smart people Stewart with and Jim, you know, from the Tennessee Golf Foundation. They've actually put together a committee to work with the city and their motto is golf people run golf, and golf money stays in golf. And if we do that in Nashville, we're going to you know, Nashville has the bones. They have seven great, you know, really good golf courses that just needs some minor work and all of them, I'm just fixing what needs to get fixed. I'm not blowing any of them up. And that's how we're keeping the budget to two million less. And that's how it's sustainable, because you know, once it gets north of two three million bucks, people are like, what are you doing? You know, people get disinterested. You can't raise the money that way. The two million dollars is kind of easy to raise. And and if you have someone like me that's only going to go there, fix it what needs it to get fixed, and everything else is fine, you know, it's amuni. Just fix the things that are important to make the golf sustainable more interesting, which is the greens and and move on. Let let's let's let them play golf. You know, eighteen bucks a buck a hole, I'll play all day long, you know. So that's I think that is the future. You know. Luckily the Links Trust, you know, Will and Mike mccarton who all worked for us, they're running that and that's got some good momentum, you know, Cops Creek if they ever get that thing going. You know they've been talking about it's a lot of talk. Yeah, what I'm proud of Stuart Smith, who is you know, my dear friend in Nashville. He goes, they're all talking. We did it, Yeah, right on, brother, So we're gonna keep doing it, But I think you're right. That's here's here's the interesting about Nashville. There are no seats at the table. All these Nashvill's are booming, booming town. They think maybe another million people moving there in the next ten years. Yeah, and there's no golf spots. Every country club has a three hundred person waiting list initiate. Initiation fees at Hillwood are going up to one hundred and fifty thousand dollars. Wow, it's like what you know. So there's just no room. There's no place to play. And these high end guys making good money working for Pinnacle and Amazon moving to town, they want a place to play. They have to they have to play the public golf courses, and they're forced to play courses that are under maintain and under man We have thirty seven employees maintaining seven golf courses in Nashville in their packed So all we're trying to do is increase the budget of each golf course to make it decent golf, and then fix all the little things at each golf course that we have to make it. You know, where it's good golf, it's sustainable, it's playable, it's fun. And we're hoping that we get Nashville to be the best system in the country.
Speaker 1: Bruce, it's been a real pleasure talking to you. Good luck with all of your projects, and hope to talk to you again soon.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: This episode of the Friday Golf Podcast was produced by Matt Rusius. Thank you, Matt. If you've been enjoying what we've been doing on the Friday Golf Podcast lately, then give us a rating and or review wherever you might be listening to us. Those really help us grow and find new listeners. It's a quick thing that you can do to support us. Thank you so much for listening, and we'll be back with another episode soon.