Speaker 1: Oh, we're starting like that today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, babe, Yeah, babe. What's happening?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: I am excited about today.
Speaker 2: I am too.
Speaker 4: The episode we are talking about is Chicago. Obviously, that means a lot to me because they call me the mayor of the city.
Speaker 2: Born and bred Chicago, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I'm from there, born and raised there. The culture is in me right in the culture.
Speaker 3: When you rewatched it, did it does it look they didn't obviously shoot it in Chicago? Did it did it look like home? Did it feel like home?
Speaker 4: It didn't feel like home necessarily, but it definitely looks like certain parts looks like a south suburb. I want to say, it looks like it definitely, or maybe like a north Way North Evanston Town or something like that.
Speaker 3: You just went like full mom, right now, You're like, it looked like a south South. It could be north on the east side, I want and my friend who lives on the west side side.
Speaker 4: Mom, you just said, well, yeah, it kind of looks like Chicago. The snow when you add the snow to it, obviously, so they you know, fun fact, they added fake snow and then they also added cotton.
Speaker 2: They just had like cotton everywhere to make it look like snow.
Speaker 1: It feels environmentally sound.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but the inside of those houses definitely looked like Chicago style houses, which you find those in La.
Speaker 2: In the east side of the Pasadena I.
Speaker 1: Think, oh, you know, like on the west side.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, not west side. Those ain't Those ain't west side interiors.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: It does feel like a very like Echo Park, Silver Lake, Eagle Rock.
Speaker 4: But we shot it in Passidena, Altadena. I think we shot in a were doing great today. No, Pasadena alter Dina like connected, They're like right next to each other.
Speaker 1: I don't got that way.
Speaker 3: Come on, Hannah, you know I don't like a long commute with more than ten minutes with traffic.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I'm busy. Come to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, You'll just get on a plane and fly to a different country.
Speaker 1: That's fact. That's cause alas as close.
Speaker 3: Driving, I got on a plane to see you.
Speaker 2: He lives in el.
Speaker 5: I mean everybody, Okay, So in this episode, what are some of the themes we're talking about.
Speaker 2: We've got funeral etiquette.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the double life, the secret life of.
Speaker 3: Nick Miller being a responsible human, which was so weird It's.
Speaker 1: Honestly felt weird to watch.
Speaker 2: I was like, wait, what it says a lot about his family.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what it does.
Speaker 3: It doesn't tell you anything about Nick, but it tells you everything about his family facts.
Speaker 4: Also, we got some crazy Elvis. Elvis themed things happening in here. Apparently Walt was a huge Elvis fan, So yeah, let us dive in. Let's go So in this episode, after learning that Nick's father, Walt, has passed away RP Walt, the gang accompanies Nick back home for the funeral. In Chicago, we meet the Miller, including his mother Bonnie, and discover that they consider Nick to pee the responsible one screw it up. Meanwhile, Winston helped Schmid get over his fear of death with some rather unique tactics, all while Jess tries to help Nick plan an.
Speaker 2: Elvis themed funeral.
Speaker 4: Let's go to Break and when we come back, we want to dive in to Chicago.
Speaker 2: Written by Love Rocke, directed by Jack Castin.
Speaker 6: And back. That was nice.
Speaker 4: A little bit about Chicago makes me want to sing. You know what I'm saying like Elvis.
Speaker 3: That was actually very Elvis ash. Every time I go to break, this is how you gotta do it now I should.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Elvis used to steal from from us, so I'm gonna steal from him.
Speaker 1: The bag.
Speaker 2: I have taken back the power Elvis.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Elvis.
Speaker 1: Shut down, get some reverse thievery.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Okay, So it starts off with Jess walking department with balloons.
Speaker 2: Read me, so horny?
Speaker 1: Who's buying that balloon?
Speaker 2: I have no idea, but I found it to be really funny when Nick walks in and gets caught in the balloons.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Have you actually ever gotten kind of twisted up in some balloons? It does feel like they're attacking you from all sides.
Speaker 1: But I'm skilled to the punch is so fast with the balloon.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, because it's helium, and you know it's going to come right back. It's gonna come right back. Not for me, though, because I'm really skilled at the art of like balloon evading. Yeah, something I've learned as a kid, because when I was a kid, I was told that if I held onto a helium balloon, I was going to get taken away to a white family and they would raise me.
Speaker 1: So you'd started grabbing balloons yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Was like, we rich Okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so Nick walks in, he gets you know, he gets kind of messed up with the balloons. He's beating up the balloons. But the gang they're all playing with the balloons. They're all sucking on helium, which is something you would do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not sure that like ramifications of that though, I don't know if they're negative effects of too much helium.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with it's the amount of time that you would be doing it, like it was a daily habit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you will huffer, that's what.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, then there's this is a problem in general.
Speaker 2: Possibly. Yeah, there's other things you should be thinking about, that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like once in a while, a tiny little squeak, we got it, No, don't, don't, no, big inhales you guys.
Speaker 1: It's very dangerous.
Speaker 2: It can kill you.
Speaker 1: That's right in fact.
Speaker 2: But obviously the gang, they're all stupid.
Speaker 1: So they're just television. Yeah, understand that TV show, not real life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the thing is Nick comes out of the room.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and unfortunately his father died.
Speaker 3: One of the I forgot about this episode once again, and I genuinely forgot that. This is how he has to like break it to the gang. Yeah, when they all have.
Speaker 1: Helium in their bodies, which would be truly like a.
Speaker 3: Living nightmare for me to sit there and have someone be so emotional and vulnerable and just in shock.
Speaker 2: Yeah mm hmm, what a night man.
Speaker 1: That's why they didn't talk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they didn't.
Speaker 4: And what I found also interesting is that they get to Chicago. They get to Chicago, which was in Altadena, I believe, and you get to meet his family. But right before we meet his family, Winston. Winston is like, yeah, well you know, he he loved me. He loved me more than he loved you. He's like, yeah, that's true. So in this we get to see Nick Kroll, Yeah, get to see Bill Burr, Bilburt, Margot Martindale. We get to see a fun group, a real like they feel like the Millers.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: The casting is phenomenal in this episode. I feel like everybody always talks about Taylor, Swift and Prince, but this particular episode, it's it's all stars. Yeah, like everyone is just like a yeah, a phenomenal, phenomenal comedic actor and they go full force, which is also so funny how committed they all are to the bit which sells it, which gives you the relief because it's quite a heavy episode, and Jake really does play the dramatic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which is so interesting to see because you see Nick Kroll at an eleven yeah and Bill Nick is out like he is out of his mind in this episode, and it's funny because like Nick is, you're right, he's the grounded one, and I don't think we've ever really seen that on this show. Obviously, when he's having his romantic moments with Jess, he's a bit more serious, but in some of the bits, like he's usually pushing the bits forward, and this one he's like the adult in the room.
Speaker 3: We got to see like two of the things I feel like Jake Johnson does really really well, which is play that drama.
Speaker 1: He knows how to do it. He knows how to like be real in those.
Speaker 3: Moments, and he didn't get a ton of them in New Girl. He got a fair share, but not a ton, And this one is basically the entire thing.
Speaker 1: And we get to see.
Speaker 3: Jake Johnson play drunk yes, which is always the greatest thing, which.
Speaker 4: Is really which is his resting right, Yeah, yeah, yeah, Jake is always well because of i'd say because of his real life drinking.
Speaker 3: Habits method acting in your twenties.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, he consumes a lot of booze in his body, which causes him to act a certain way, like stumble over a shoe perhaps, you know what I mean. Speech, that's all. That's all Jake Johnson, right there. Also, what's happening in this episode is Schmidt. Schmid's freaking out right, he can't. He's you know, complaining about the suit.
Speaker 2: The airline. They lose his suit so he has to wear.
Speaker 4: A walt suit and you could tell he's being distracted just because he just Ultimately he comes out with it that he doesn't like death.
Speaker 1: He's scared of death.
Speaker 4: He's scared of death, which is just same here. You know what I mean, I go to funerals. I'm not afraid to go to funerals, but I'm afraid of death. Yeah, so watching it, I'm like, you can identify that.
Speaker 1: But who's not afraid of death?
Speaker 2: The Grim Reaper?
Speaker 1: Okay, I know him.
Speaker 2: He lives over on Fairfax.
Speaker 1: I've seen them. Yeah, he's got.
Speaker 2: A new scythe Yeah, good guy. Good guy.
Speaker 1: City is a very you know, I'm talking about your little hook, thank you, the little along stick?
Speaker 2: Now, just sorry with that thing? Yeah? Is he killing people with that? Yeah, because I'm like, yeah, so everybody. It's like a decapitation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he goes old school with it.
Speaker 4: It's a blade because he'd be showing up when people got like natural causes happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they're already dead. So what's he doing.
Speaker 2: What's what's the blade for?
Speaker 1: It's just an aggressive cane.
Speaker 2: Don't scare me, dog, I'm about to die.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm already dead. You're here to just like take your take me away.
Speaker 1: You know what it means.
Speaker 2: You know what it is. You know what it is.
Speaker 4: You ever go in one of those like you ever go to like the coliseum and you do those tours and it's like a big group, or you go like a museum.
Speaker 3: You look at you, mister, I've been to Italia just a casual drop.
Speaker 1: You ever been to your room?
Speaker 2: No it's not recently, it's not a big deal. Okay, but when you have a tour guide there's a group of people, they have those long little sticks with the flag on the end. Yes, what that is? When he's gotten you into the Africa.
Speaker 1: I think that's what the Green Reaper has.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, she's like this way, follow them into the next step.
Speaker 1: We're gonna do Prehistoric Room.
Speaker 2: Got it. We digress, We've solved it.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about Margot Martindale, Nick's mom.
Speaker 1: He's so good in this.
Speaker 3: I remember when they got her for this episode, everybody just freaked out.
Speaker 1: They just couldn't believe they'd convinced her to do New Girl.
Speaker 3: I think it was also early days of New Girl, where like Liz was still just like just so shocked and overwhelmed that all of these heroes of hers who are friends but like heroes of hers would come and do her show. It's always weird, you know, most comedy network shows are not getting this level of a guest our episode after episode.
Speaker 4: Wild Wild Indeed, Like, like you said, she's a legend, and when you watch her in this, it genuinely feels like she's his mom.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I know you feel it deep.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: She tells him that he has to arrange everything for the funeral, and he goes He's like, wait, what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have to plan the funeral is some what are you're talking about?
Speaker 1: But then he just takes it on again.
Speaker 3: It's like not a bit, And I think that's what makes this episode so heartfelt and such a huge fan favorite.
Speaker 1: He's just like, all right, I got it.
Speaker 3: And doesn't question the craziness of the funeral, the family of anything right, and he can.
Speaker 1: Do all of that.
Speaker 3: He'd much rather go try to find Elvis than actually then dive into himself and try to figure out what to say about his very complicated relationship.
Speaker 1: With his father.
Speaker 3: The avoidance of it all outsource the writing of your father's eulogy.
Speaker 4: Yes, which is you know, I'm well, my father passed. I was glad I didn't have to speak. I was so glad I didn't have to speak. I just assumed they would ask me to speak. Yeah, but I preemptively let his brother know I'm not speaking right, you know what I mean, because it would be hard to you know, Walt wasn't Walt was always gone, so it would be really hard for him to kind of formulate. Usually in a eulogy, you're talking about that person's life and all these great things. But if you had a complicated relationship with someone, you don't want to get up there and just lie, you know what, I mean like, you want to try to be as truthful as you can. But if if your truth is negative and it's their funeral, don't say shit, not the.
Speaker 2: Time, not the time. Go into the afterlife.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, beautiful, we can with the therapists exactly, you know, go to their grave afterwards and have talks with them.
Speaker 3: The Schmidt storyline did make me laugh though, because Winston is genuinely deeply.
Speaker 1: Grieving his father figure.
Speaker 3: And the part that kept bumping me is Schmidt kept referring to Walt as a carcass. Yes, And I was like, look, I know you're struggling with this idea of Dez, but this is this is like a human being that meant a lot to the people that you are speaking to. Oh yeah, but it's such a Schmidt thing that he is just so in his own narrow world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he has no idea, no ideas.
Speaker 1: I Walt's house with the wife and the kids.
Speaker 2: Yes, I can't look at the carcass. And what's funny about there there?
Speaker 4: Even though Winston is grieving, he now has to coach yes schmid It on how to be at the funeral, and he's practicing with him.
Speaker 2: He's rehearsing with him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I remember shooting that scene and thinking to myself, this is ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I was like, this is so stupid, but it was also so so funny.
Speaker 4: Max is obviously a comedic genius, so I was just watching him do it and I have to sit there with my eyes closed, almost like a guided meditation with him, coach him through this.
Speaker 2: It gives me. It didn't give me a kiss on the floor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, he gets close.
Speaker 3: The thing The part that made me laugh too, is like I could hear like your real voice, Like your real real voice is when he's like, Okay, just lay there and don't breathe, and You're like, I need to breathe, man Like.
Speaker 1: I felt like that was just.
Speaker 3: A very little more and response to be like, look, I'm gonna do this crazy thing for you, but just man, I'm not gonna not breathe.
Speaker 2: Probably I think dead like that.
Speaker 3: I was like, this just sounds like the mourn and his voice being like listen otherwise I'm dead.
Speaker 2: I want to go back just slightly.
Speaker 4: In that moment when she when when Margo asks him to do the eulogy, one of my favorite.
Speaker 2: Lines that I that I've been quoting for years.
Speaker 4: Afterwards was when he's like, oh, I don't want to do it, and everyone's like, oh, you gotta do it, you gotta do it, and then.
Speaker 2: Bill Burg goes, he goes, you just say a bunch of nice stuff in a row. Yeah. I don't know why that makes me laugh so much, and I've every time like something similar comes up, I'll just I'll kind of refer to that line and do a variation of that specific line.
Speaker 3: It's pretty good advice just for a public speaking in general. Yeah, you're nervous or your whatever, you have to go introduce somebody.
Speaker 1: Those are words of wisdom.
Speaker 2: They're a bunch of nice stuff in a row.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not that hard.
Speaker 3: I guess it's hard if you don't have a lot of nice things to say in a room.
Speaker 1: That's where it gets tricky.
Speaker 4: We're gonna go to a quick commercial break and when we come back, I want to talk Elvis.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't want to talk Elvis.
Speaker 4: So the So if you don't know Jake Johnson, this is what Jake does a lot, which I struggle with because for some reason, casting and the creatives don't allow me to always put my friends and shit. Oh yeah, Jake gets the whole damn squad on New Girl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: I remember this. There was a lot of personal phone calls for this episode.
Speaker 4: So Eric Edelstein, who is one of Jake's he might be. I think he's Jake's best friend. He's really really funny, really funny dude. But he's in a lot of Jake's movies. Yeah right, he also does his own stuff. He's in his own movies and things like that, but he's always in something Jake Johnson related.
Speaker 2: And he's in this episode as drunk Elvis.
Speaker 3: Yes, also some of the funniest deliveries. Oh yeah, drunk is not easy to play. No, it's not because it usually feels really put on. Yeah, but when he's like, yeah, kick, who birthday is?
Speaker 1: This also really made me laugh.
Speaker 3: He has some really good lines in this, and I'm like, how much of that is improv? Because you know, with all of those people in the room, a lot of improv had to happen.
Speaker 4: Whatever, there's a whatever, there's like a group like a crowd of background and cast, and you have to like do a thing.
Speaker 2: You're gonna make shit up?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's you know if you're if you grew up in comedy and you came up in comedy, you start to feel like you're you're doing a set.
Speaker 3: Wells Also, when you're you're on a set and everyone around you is quite serious because it's a business. So we got to get here, we got this much time, we got to get to the next scene. But you're with all these incredible comedians. What you're doing is just trying to make each other laugh, right, So it's not even for like I think this would serve the show, but improvised this line, not at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're one hundred percent doing it, you know, Yeah, for the for the bits.
Speaker 1: That's right, for the laughs, for the bits.
Speaker 4: So the eulogy, Nick is having some issues with writing it obviously, and he you know, he just can't. So he's really we see him pretty pissed off at Jess. He's like, I'm not asking a lot, but he's clearly asking for the biggest favor.
Speaker 1: One time during a heist, right, Like what can I say?
Speaker 4: And so she really wants to help, and so the best thing she can come up with is dressing up like Elvis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's where the switcheroo happens. Right, is she It's not. I think it's not even that she doesn't want to write the eulogy. She just really loves and cares for Nick, and he has such a complicated relationship with his dad. She got to sit firsthand and watch it at the racetrack, and I think that she's just like, for you, forget about everybody else in the room, but for you, I think you need to talk this out and you need to say goodbye. That's what she keeps saying. But I also can give some respect to Nick Miller, who's she was like, I don't want to Yeah, I don't want to do it. It's all very hard and I'd rather just disassociate, sit in a pew and just process it internally.
Speaker 1: But she's kind of forcing his hand on it.
Speaker 3: A little bit, and so I think, but that's that thing with someone who you know can love you so much and be like a little misguided. Yeah, not fully understand. But she does save the day because Elvis gets very drunk, very very drunk, in classic Elvis style.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But before she saves the day, they are shooting their shot with trying to have folks do the eulogy. In fact, they ask Winston to get up there and say some words, and he cannot do it breakdown. He has a nervous breakdown and he freaks out. When I was doing that, I improvised ninety percent of that. Sure that was like an extended bit. I think they were just like, just do stuff, you know what I mean? And I immediately went to black Auntie at a funeral, who is doing the most and when she didn't really even care that much the person who dies, he's.
Speaker 2: Just a lot.
Speaker 3: You know, in funerals, they hire professional whalers really to come in and do that, to like be histronic, just to be like to let out all of it because a lot of people can't let the pain out. So they sit there and they just kind of get the ball rolling and they just kind of do exactly what you were doing up. Yes, those are professional mourners.
Speaker 2: I have never knew.
Speaker 3: And they wail and cry, so I have been told. I've actually never.
Speaker 2: I wonder if there's a union for them.
Speaker 1: I've only ever been to one funeral unionized them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you get a whaler union, Like, hey man, can I hire you for two funerals this weekend?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then a bunch of people on like large boats with harpoon show up and you're just like, hold up.
Speaker 1: You're for gon a Whaler.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, so wait you are directed by the jkas for this episode.
Speaker 1: So what did he say? Just do you remember?
Speaker 3: Was he was like just go up there and just like, yeah, do all levels of mourning.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Jake is very big on like levels and big on you know, options, So being silly, you know, being grounded, being outrageous, those are all some of the notes that he that he gives you. Again, this goes back to I want to say episode one of this season where Nick is giving me fruity drinks and I say so naughty, and I remember Jake screaming, Jake Kasden.
Speaker 2: More girly, more gurly. I'm like, what does that mean. He's like, I don't know. He's like try it, like god, And then I was like, I'll try something. He's like yeah, yeah, yeah, yeahah.
Speaker 4: And so I would do like these bits and then you can just hear him laughing and I'm like, oh, I must be in the right zone.
Speaker 1: It's very funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to have someone who can't hold it together and is trying so desperately.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Oh yeah, so now we go into actually before we before we go any further. Yeah, I do have a question for you, Hannah.
Speaker 1: Wait can we go to break?
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll go to break, and I need you to get your ship together while we're at.
Speaker 1: Break in the good too.
Speaker 2: We're back and we're back from break, Hannah.
Speaker 4: I I this is getting to be ridiculous.
Speaker 3: It's truly honestly, for the Where's the Bears segment? Season two has been a struggle, and the struggle has been real. And I am with you on this particular episode because I am genuinely frustrated because the.
Speaker 1: Episode is called Chicago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean Bears, Bears, Bears, Bears, Bears.
Speaker 4: You would think was there like a jersey in the background, like a Chicago Bears jersey.
Speaker 3: I body rewatch and find it, screen grab it, tag is in it, because it feels impossible that there wasn't. I looked, I did not see it. I've gone on the interwebs. It seems like no one else has. But I know these podcast listeners fine tooth Comb, Yes, they're going to go through this episode.
Speaker 4: You find it and I'm disappointment is an understatement.
Speaker 3: You know, you know, even if something is like still eight out of ten times, you can still say in it as a general rule, it's true.
Speaker 1: Eight out of ten, six out of ten times.
Speaker 2: For six, Hannah, the only bear you found was.
Speaker 1: Was like you said, I said it.
Speaker 2: My character said it.
Speaker 4: Okay, so Hepsi Schmidt confronts who was trying to steal the chain of.
Speaker 1: Flocks? Yes, a lot of thick flocks. So funny.
Speaker 3: It's the chain Robbie a casket, Yes, which by the way, is like a real thing.
Speaker 2: People do that all the time all the time. Wait, they ain't gonna do nothing with it.
Speaker 3: I mean that's why I think people are thinking. Yeah, so like that. I guess when you're like in the lineup to go pay respects, you always want to be less in line, yeah, or first in line. But you can't be somewhere in the middle.
Speaker 2: I'd say last. I say, you gotta be last.
Speaker 1: Someone might be quicker than you. Those fast hands number.
Speaker 2: One, they might steal all the good ship.
Speaker 1: That's what I've just said.
Speaker 2: Some gold fronts, that's all that's left. You gotta pop them off.
Speaker 3: So you gotta be like, I want to be buried with my favorite gold chain. Put it in my back pocket.
Speaker 1: And no one don't let me wear it.
Speaker 3: He does something though in this scene where Schmid is they're wrestling over this chain that I like, it gave me like a physical reaction because I was like the idea of sticking your head in a casket. And then he's just like all day and he just was like a little one of those like bobbing for apples or like goose things or just like what is going on with you? And he couldn't stop himself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well he's getting he's getting over his fear.
Speaker 2: It's like when you have a fear of something, you have to just keep doing it.
Speaker 3: I think he's having a psychotic break. I don't think he got over his fear. He said a psychotic break and he's like I am death now, and you're like, sir, you have gone too far.
Speaker 2: Funny thing about him screaming all day? Have I ever told you the story about all day?
Speaker 1: You maybe have, but I've forgotten.
Speaker 2: Say it again, very famous New Girl thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but with Wriggle, I did that.
Speaker 2: I did that, and this is this is you know this a new Girl family and we all help each other out. All day was.
Speaker 1: Was me, You're there you're the zero of well.
Speaker 4: I am because we were on the roof and there are saying He's like, He's like, I think the Schmid's line was like, man, I can do this all day, and.
Speaker 2: I was like, and I pitched him a joke.
Speaker 4: I was like, you gotta say it like oh, and so he started doing it that way and it was obviously very funny catchphrase.
Speaker 2: Now you know, his delivery was what did it? But then they started doing it back and forth and it became a thing.
Speaker 3: It's a real thing, and it's in this episode. I was like, oh my gosh, it's back. I only remember it from the rooftop and it's made multiple appearances now.
Speaker 4: It's the only reason why I wanted to renegotiate my contract with New Girl and get paid more money because of like all my.
Speaker 1: Can I get all day residuals all day?
Speaker 2: They never let me renegotiation.
Speaker 1: That's why we were canceled. We just figured it out.
Speaker 3: He asked me that all day money, we would have gone broke at the studio.
Speaker 1: Guess that show.
Speaker 2: Never let me renegotiat you guys want to talk about it?
Speaker 4: I mean, do you do a renegotiation episode in the room.
Speaker 2: Like, what it went wrong? You guys, Let's talk it out. Yeah, why am I sleeping at a van? Let me talk about.
Speaker 3: This is your public eulogy right now, keep it on the inside voice, inside voice.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: So we talked about Winston getting up on the podium, We talked about drunk impersonator, and we started hinting at Jess becoming Elvis, but we didn't dive into it.
Speaker 2: She she goes for it, right, She actually.
Speaker 1: Just goes for it.
Speaker 3: Two things I love the most about her appearing as Elvis. The Elvis impersonator is one. The suit fits perfect. Yeah, Eric is not a small man. I was like, how that has It's a large man and now we're in jeggings.
Speaker 1: Got it? But I love that. I love TV moments like that.
Speaker 3: They're not going to make her Also like being like this oversized suit. She like, she looks great in it.
Speaker 1: For sure. I feel it was like, hell, not of course, but it looks so.
Speaker 3: But I was like it that makes sense, otherwise you're distracted by the goofy suit.
Speaker 1: Second, it's Zoe additional that's singing. Yes, a phenomenal thing, and she.
Speaker 3: Really like puts some like sauce on it, and it's a really good show.
Speaker 1: She sells it.
Speaker 3: I feel like if anybody else, maybe not you, but if Jake, for sure myself Max. I don't think Maxican sing had to like do that whole bit.
Speaker 1: The comedy would have come from a different place. Let's just put it that way.
Speaker 2: Because I would have sang for my soul.
Speaker 1: You would have crushed it. You would have crushed it too. You can sing. Are you trying exactly? Are you trying to get on Broadway? What's happening is a lot.
Speaker 2: I would love to get on Broadway.
Speaker 4: Broadway, if you're out there, if you're listening, if you're a fan of our show, please call me.
Speaker 1: I think it's a person.
Speaker 2: I don't know Broadway, to be honest with you said Broadway. I thought it was some dude. So otherwise I'll do Broadway.
Speaker 1: Where's he from?
Speaker 2: Chicago?
Speaker 1: The West? What's up Broadway?
Speaker 4: What I found to be funny about this as well? You know these typical TV moments which make me chuckle. The whole damn church is singing in the ghetto.
Speaker 2: They're all singing in the gear tool, which I thought was.
Speaker 1: Out of all the Elvis lines.
Speaker 4: By the way because it's what Chicago's in it and old and gray Chicago more little baby child.
Speaker 2: In the gear tool. But I was like, man, when I first heard that song, I was like, Elvis, shut the fuck up. What do you know, sir? What do you know?
Speaker 4: But then Nick gets up there and he gives a very very heartfelt, emotional Yeah.
Speaker 3: He'd initially written the eulogy and all it said was Walt Miller, Am I right?
Speaker 2: Am? I right?
Speaker 1: Which I kind of get it.
Speaker 3: He's like, y'all know I can't do this, and we all know what we know exactly?
Speaker 2: Am I right? Am? I right? Like? And that should be it.
Speaker 3: And then he watches Jess goes so far out of her comfort zone that it kind of gives him some courage, yeah, to go out of his comfort zone and just speak from the heart, and he is honest. I thought that was really nice, Like that line he says right at the end where he's like I don't know if he was like a good guy or a bad guy, where he is like in the spectrum of humanity or whatever. He says, He's like, I just know I'm gonna miss him, Yeah, And I thought that was like a real sweet like way to end the whole thing without it feeling contrived or fake or saying things that weren't true.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, it was truthful, is what it was. And I think everyone in the crowd who knew Wald knew that this is was perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was. It was great. Yeah, great writing by mister Love a roquet.
Speaker 4: Now after the funeral, they're back at the house. Cousin Bobby tells Smith to stay out of Boston. I'll put it's like I put a gun in your luggage.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that's pretty funny. Shout out to Bill Burr for being one of the greatest of all time. Truly shocked.
Speaker 4: He was not shocked that he was on our show, but like he's such a even post new Girl.
Speaker 2: He became even Shoes global icon, you know what I mean. And to say that, oh, yeah, we worked with him makes me feel old.
Speaker 4: It makes me because it was so long ago. It makes me feel like, holy shit, because he had hair. This man had hair, you know what I mean. That I'd be rocking that that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Cleans embraced a different look he knew when he was a baby.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Winston tries to leave with Walt's hat and true Walt fashion.
Speaker 1: By the way, Walt would love it.
Speaker 3: He just goes in and just like like robs the house of all his favorite things.
Speaker 2: You got to take something.
Speaker 1: You took more than more than something, filed your pockets. You literally filled your pocket. You took one leg chair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Michael gotta fall down.
Speaker 4: But I didn't take a gold chain, you know what I'm saying. I didn't try to steal it, like it's that wasn't in the grave.
Speaker 1: Unscrewing one.
Speaker 3: Chair leg though it feels a little mischievous, very very waltish.
Speaker 2: A little bit weird. Let's see.
Speaker 1: Oh the tap of the shoulder. I was like, is that really a thing? Like sap on?
Speaker 3: Like, did you see like Margo's reaction, right, the mom's reaction every time that Jess would tap her on the shoulders?
Speaker 1: Did you tap me twice?
Speaker 3: And then at the end she goes to tapper to get her attention and she's like, oh wait, stop, I didn't do it.
Speaker 1: I didn't tap you. I get it now.
Speaker 3: And I was like, is that really some people don't like being touched. Maybe it was just like such a specific thing that I was like, what is that about?
Speaker 1: But she was like, don't touch me.
Speaker 2: I love. I love a good touching.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I saw a tap. I prefer it.
Speaker 2: Then. Hey, yeah, don't hate me now, although I will be.
Speaker 4: I take that back if you if you run up on me and you at me, because I'm always trapped. You know what I'm saying. For my protection, you know what I'm saying, and for the citizens. So as somebody like me, you tap me, you might you know.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying. Yeah, don't won't run up.
Speaker 4: You can start with a little more and say my name in a pleasant voice, then tap.
Speaker 2: Then I know you're a friendly I got it. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: This is a lot of direction. You're giving a human being that wants to approach you. Say my name first, walk slowly, extend one or two fingers, not a whole hand.
Speaker 4: Don't yell with light tap light tap, gentle grace Yeah, okay, a gentle touch.
Speaker 1: Say a god given name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because if.
Speaker 4: You got strong hands and you put your hands on my shoulder, you're gonna lose your feet.
Speaker 7: You.
Speaker 1: I think that Nick's mom is based on you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just a Chicago thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you are the mommy loved the dad we're getting into it.
Speaker 4: And I love their moment Bonnie when she apologizes to Nick and says they depended on him too much and he was he was you know, he was just a kid.
Speaker 3: The way that Jake reacts in it, where he's like don't, don't, don't do it like he knows and just like don't. Yeah, it's like, we can't get too real here. We just got through this thing. It's really hard.
Speaker 1: But the fact that she then has that real moment and apologize to her baby boy is like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a really good episode.
Speaker 2: You guys.
Speaker 4: And the tag was interesting about the tag, I think because Jess is singing or burning around in love as the funeral claps on and she's reading you see she's reading the lyrics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like she was just doing that. And actually that was Zoe reading the lyrics.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure.
Speaker 3: I feel like someone handed it to her and was just like, hey, let's just do one for fun. She's like, well, I don't know the lyrics, and then they just kind of like had a bake sing song and they did it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, They're like, why am I use this somewhere?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of fourth wall breaking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was good.
Speaker 2: That was pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great episode, heartfelt, one of those really special ones where you get to really see other sides. So like the actors, you get to see an all star cast and you really get to know one of you know, the beloveds there.
Speaker 4: Ellen Albertini, Well, she she's the she's the older lady.
Speaker 3: She's the older Oh the weed, you got any weed you.
Speaker 2: I think when we were there, it was her like ninetieth birthday or ninety something crazy or nineteen Night's right, I think that's right.
Speaker 1: It was right for a hundredth icon Icon Albertini. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: Everybody in that room was incredible, and I think that's why all those bits between like Bill and Nick and everybody just worked so well, because it wasn't even for the show.
Speaker 1: It wasn't even for the story. They were all.
Speaker 3: Excited to be in a room together with that level of talent everybody, and it was just the bits, and they all made the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, you got a bunch of home run hitters. You know what I'm saying. You gotta put them points on the board.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: We gotta go to break and when we come back hennah, and I gonna do a little bit of messing.
Speaker 6: Around, Uh babe?
Speaker 1: Yeah, babe.
Speaker 2: Ever experienced the funeral as wacky as the one the Miller's through.
Speaker 1: I've only ever been to one funeral in my life?
Speaker 2: How you got away with that? Everybody just alive and ship stay alive? Yeah? Only are you just avoid done?
Speaker 1: Never been invited to another one? Maybe? I maybe what did I do with that first one?
Speaker 2: I mean, damn?
Speaker 1: How many funerals have you been to?
Speaker 2: A lot? Really a lot of funerals? If I said a one hundred out, I think that might be accurate.
Speaker 1: Are you mean serious? How old were you when you went to your first funeral?
Speaker 2: I was a kid.
Speaker 4: I remember one of my first funerals was because I grew up in the church and there was a lot of older folks that were passing away. When I was a young kid, there were a lot of people that were already in their like eighties, nineties, so you'd go to those funerals. And then my cousin was you know, my cousin was killed in Chicago when I was much younger, and I remember going to his funeral and it being really weird because I was like this is my my cousin, cousin we played back. He taught me how to play basketball, and so I didn't get I don't on say I got used to it.
Speaker 2: I just I hate.
Speaker 4: I actually don't like funerals, but I feel it's necessary to pay respects. Like I've been to funeral like I mean, you name it, man, I've been way too many funerals close friends, family members. You know, Yeah, it's really weird. It never gets easier, even if you weren't super close to that person, never gets any easier because you're you absorb all the the pain everybody's going through it. Sure, but there's the question, is ever experienced a funeral as wacky as the one the Miller's through?
Speaker 2: And the answer is, my own father's funeral was wacky. It was weird. Man.
Speaker 4: It wasn't belize and shout out to belize a beautiful place. But man, some some of those motherfuckers over there did not handle the funeral properly, which annoyed me.
Speaker 2: We were you know, you know, when you leave.
Speaker 4: The church and you're taking the cat, they drive the casket to the cemetery and they're lowering it into the ground.
Speaker 2: Et cetera. This was different because of flooding and all that type of stuff. You really, you you when you.
Speaker 4: Buy a plot, you bury the family on top of each other, so they're stacked on top of each other. So my grandfather's grave was right there, and my father's was on top of his. Now you're watching him, and usually like there's a there's a hole already in the ground, there's like a machine that lowers it, and then they start putting dirt over it, and then they do the rest when you're gone. This one, there's a cement there's a casket, but then there's a cement box, and they are building the top of the cement box. He's literally in a cement block and they are building it in front of you. And the dude, the dude who was doing it, it's almost like he didn't realize it was a funeral. This man breaks out his phone and starts playing like like crazy like raunchy Jamaican or like Jamaican is music.
Speaker 2: Like just like like loud, like turned up music.
Speaker 4: And everybody's sitting there and their suits like sad like sitting watching this happen. And he's got the bucket of cement and he's just like buck and then his boys aren't helping him, and he's like cursing them out.
Speaker 2: Like because they need to bring over more buckets to cement. And I'm just like, what the fuck.
Speaker 3: Is going on?
Speaker 2: And he's like pissed off because nobody's helping him, and I'm like, should I help him? I don't understand what this.
Speaker 1: Can somebody give.
Speaker 4: Me the And then finally what one of my dad's cousins had to go over and like whisper.
Speaker 2: In the man's ear.
Speaker 4: She like pulled him to the side and was like talking to him, and he's just like frustrated and she's like talking to him, and then he's like and he goes back on his phone and he puts on some like soft Bob Marley.
Speaker 1: He's like, I got it, hold up, I can fix it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, really, I don't think that's what he played. Gotta be all right, and then it was like all right, and then he was.
Speaker 2: Like much more kind with because he was just throwing to submit down and like pissed off, and I was like, man, if you weren't stronger than me, I would whoop you wild. Yeah, So that one was that one was pretty wacky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would feel that would stay in my brain too.
Speaker 4: Oh you ever see those funerals where they like prop deceized people up in a chair or like they bury him in They're like cattle.
Speaker 2: They have like.
Speaker 1: Watching they get only like weekend at Bernie's.
Speaker 3: That's the only time I've ever seen anything like that is that movie where I was like, this movie is just this is a horror film.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen it in person. Have you ever seen those? Though? Never?
Speaker 1: Like your algorithm is crazy?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: World Star hip Hop, yeah, they did some crazy thing and world Star hip Hop. But I've seen dudes in like Cadillacs that are like sitting there like this with like a like a blut and and mouth.
Speaker 1: But you know what, why not whatever.
Speaker 2: You want to do. Honestly it feels expensive.
Speaker 3: That's all right, your money, that was your money, Like this is what I would like it to look like after I'm gone.
Speaker 1: Do you spend your money after you're gone? That's fine, make him do it.
Speaker 4: My favorite is the I think it was in Scotland or Ireland, I forget where, but there was a guy who died and had a speaker in his casket and as people were calling up like he was in the ground and as they were putting the dirt on him, he started going.
Speaker 1: Wait, some deep trauma.
Speaker 2: I'm still alive.
Speaker 1: I don't even like that story.
Speaker 2: He's like, don't do this to me.
Speaker 1: I have jokes to the end.
Speaker 4: God, God, people really do love Elvis. Do you do you know anybody like this?
Speaker 3: I feel like I know so many people like my mom's friends who are like hard core Elvis fans, and they just want to go to Vegas. They want to go to like see all the Elvis impersonators. They want to get married by Elvis, the whole thing.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: I don't get it either. I don't understand it.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not that I'm not an Elvis fan.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: I love his Unchained Melody, his live version of Unchained Melody, my favorite things to watch on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Sure, I'll watch it all the time.
Speaker 1: No you do not. I do you watch it one time?
Speaker 2: I watch it all the time. And that's my go to karaoke.
Speaker 1: How does the song start?
Speaker 6: Oh God, my.
Speaker 2: Hunger, hunger, Oh your talks. We can't say that right.
Speaker 1: Well, probably.
Speaker 4: Sweatiness off. You know he's on drugs. You know he's got all the crack coming out of his system. Yeah, he's like going on and on like, oh that man, that man on that Ray Charles, that man that's feeling good.
Speaker 2: He's shaking it. He can see.
Speaker 4: Okay, what an episode. I love this one, uh and I hope you all loved it too. Obviously you you did. That's why you're watching this podcast, and that's why you're listening. Thank you for listening, and be sure to follow us on Instagram at the mess Around Pod.
Speaker 1: Yeah some of this cute stuff.
Speaker 2: Wha, look at that? Look at that? Look at that? Yeah, you got big teddies like me.
Speaker 6: You can.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. We have the reduction surgery for a reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, popping look at.
Speaker 3: We will be back next week with episode two two one, First Date, First day o'clock.
Speaker 2: That was the Mess Around. This has been an iHeartMedia production. Our executive producer is Joel Monique. Our engineer and editor is Mia Taylor. Additional production from Daniel Goodman, Wendy Heisler, and Kyle Shevron. Our theme song was written and composed by Ronald Jukebox Jackson. So we're gonna catch you next time. Bye,