Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 2: I think we're both supposed to clap though, right, Oh, isn't it I think it's to sink our sound.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so should we start?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's for the editor so that when we clap, they know, like, now start from here?
Speaker 1: Ready? One? Two?
Speaker 2: Three?
Speaker 1: All right? Oh? I feel very technical?
Speaker 2: Now what did you think I was doing this whole time?
Speaker 1: Though? Just I thought you were because that was how I for me. I just thought for me because I can't perform like you know, I need an action or a something otherwise. I'm like, have we started? Have we not? Are we recording? Are we not? So I thought you were doing it just for me, So me in my Pavlovian response, I can be like, I'm on now, I'm here jazz, but I didn't.
Speaker 2: Know you're no, it was actually it was yeah, No, that's like a yeah, that's why they do the clapboard like clap or sound.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the same sort of thing. But that's okay. You can keep thinking I'm doing it for you, and I now will just be doing it for you.
Speaker 1: Well, now I have to do it with you because it's it's actually a useful technique.
Speaker 2: It's actually right it's actually there's a purpose to it other than me just randomly clapping at things.
Speaker 1: So have you been in a CBS lately or any sort of pharmacicle place. I have poor k por k because I went yesterday and I haven't been inside a CVS in a long time because I'll either order stuff online or just do the drive through if I'm picking up prescriptions or whatever. But I try to do like like a couple of days a week. Probably feels like.
Speaker 2: Oh really okay, No, I try to And there's one right by my house, and I have two teenage girls who are like, I need nail polish. My underreye thing is caking. I run out of powder, I need face wipes, I need my cellar water.
Speaker 1: You know. Oh that's Target. CBS's that's Target. That's where like, yeah, Felicity needs like a weekly trip to replenish all of her skincare and all of the things. Yes, but she now has the cold that I had a couple of weeks ago. So I had, yeah, my kids are sick now to yeah, what is going on with like there's something going around trying to avoid it though, So I went into a CBS to get her some medicinal things. I was like, this is great because I need deodorant. So I'm just going to go to the deodorant aisle and pick out a deodorant. While I'm here, the entire deodorant aisle is under lock and key. Now most yeah, a lot of things. I thought that was just alcohol and then niquill because people were doing bad things with niquil, But now it's the entire deodorant now.
Speaker 2: So it's because, uh, yeah, there is a fair amount of shoplifting that goes on, but it is also in I mean, I have my own thoughts on it, because it's in large response to the fact that everyday items and the cost of living is so incredibly expensive that and so much profit is made by these corporations off of things that we can't afford necessities, and so people who can't even afford homes are like, why the hell am I gonna pay for seventeen dollars for a deodorant and they take them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: While I don't, uh, you know, I am not a person who takes part in stealing myself, I sometimes understand the desire to screw big corporations for overcharging people for basic necessities.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, I.
Speaker 2: Wasn't thinking, but yeah it is because it's also you don't get charged like misdemeter crimes and stuff of theft is just not it's like such a drain worth on court systems, and they're so backed up anyway that a lot of it doesn't necessarily get prosecuted. So it's kind of like if you take you know, whatever, less than five hundred dollars, like nobody's gonna stop you. So now they've started putting things under lock and key so that that happens a.
Speaker 1: Little bit less. Okay, Yeah, I was. I was shocked because I was like when did we start? Like even the all natural deodorant that doesn't work, like even that's under lock and key, and so I was like why. But yeah, I was talking to my friends Katie and Angela and Andrea her name is Andrea too about this of like venting. I'm like why, like why I can't even get and I couldn't even get like an associate to come over and unlock the deodorant cabinet right.
Speaker 2: Well, because there's no one working at the stores because they also pay them, like and so why would anyone want to work in retail and at a pharmacy when everyone's yelling at them and they're trying to unlocked seventeen cabinets.
Speaker 1: No, this has led to a whole like the soapbox moment for you. But I was talking about with my friends too.
Speaker 2: And they were like, yeah, sorry, yeah, this is my I.
Speaker 1: Didn't think of, like the shoplifting perspective.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the basic things like that that people can't afford, or that they're like, look I I need this, and like we you know, they.
Speaker 1: They take it. Yeah, and there's like that's why I think a lot of kids don't go to high school. Well, not just people who are ditching, but like the deodor because they're stilling deodor, No, because they die. They can't wash their clothes and they can't y are so conscious about how they smell. Very true, they can't. Yeah they're donnerant.
Speaker 2: So yep, it's been a huge Yeah, it is a huge problem.
Speaker 1: And uh, you know, I have.
Speaker 2: A lot of friends that do some really incredible work with the unhouse community, and I know that there's a lot of issues and there's a lot of things that people disagree with, but I just think that.
Speaker 1: In so many ways.
Speaker 2: Living is unaffordable for most people these days, and somebody's making money on all this stuff, and it certainly is not the people who are trying to steal the deodor So anyway.
Speaker 1: Well, my friend Katie had a great idea. She said, whenever there's a food drive in her neighborhood that's not just food, she'll donate like hygiene items or pads or tampons or things. Are huge. I never thought of that.
Speaker 2: Be and her Girl Scout Troupe did a whole event for something called Sisters in the Streets, which is an organization that provides menstrual products for free to women who are unhoused or can't otherwise afford them, or who are in low come, low income areas.
Speaker 1: Because there's also such.
Speaker 2: An incredible tax placed on feminine care items that is not taxed. Uh, even our razors are taxed differently than men's razors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the pink tax.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all women's deodorant is taxed differently, women's razors, shaving cream, anything that's called the pink tax, anything that's geared towards women is uh automatically taxed and usually costs much more.
Speaker 1: Dang, wow, see this is this is you came for full house people, Fanarito, you should.
Speaker 2: Always, like always buy men's razors. They tend to be much sharper and better quality for.
Speaker 1: Much less money. Okay, good to know. There you go.
Speaker 2: All right, they might not be pink, but I think you know, I.
Speaker 1: Don't need a ok I don't look at the color of my razors. So yeah, anyway, that's uh, there you go. There's a lesson for the day, folks. Cut up. That's why your deodorant is under lock and key along revenucular codes. And uh, donate to your local food banks all lots of high HIGI yeah, don't it to your local food banks.
Speaker 2: And uh yeah, and call your representatives because life is too expensive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, excellent. All right, well on that note.
Speaker 2: Well, on that note, let's uh, let's get into three fun we're starting season three. No, I can't believe it starting it in a big way. I did not remember that this was the opener to season.
Speaker 1: Three, the whole episode. I never would have guessed that. I would think it'd be much further into the into season three, like Sweeps week, you know, in May, one of the last episodes es usually when they saved these episodes. We were really trying to get them in. Goa or go Yeah, exactly. Oh, it's a big one. It's a big one. And I've got a lot of thoughts about it.
Speaker 2: It was so fun, but I actually have a lot of thoughts about it, A lot of thoughts.
Speaker 1: I cannot wait to talk about it. Well, let's get into it. Welcome back to How Rude Tanneritos. I'm Andrea Barber and I'm Jodie Sweeten, and today we're discussing season three, episode one, titled Tanner Island. It originally aired on September twenty second, nineteen eighty nine, and it goes a little something like this. The family takes a vacation trip to Hawaii. What more do you need to know? You don't, don't worry about the details. It was directed by Billy fausta Coffee Coffee and written by Jeff Franklin. And we have three guest stars this week. We have Gail Anne Paolo as Leilani, Charlene Polo as Alana, and Israel Weary Hannah as the Warrior. So this is their only appearance on television ever, right, I don't know if it was.
Speaker 2: They again just went out there crimes and careers even when we traveled.
Speaker 1: I'm interested in how they they casted these these individuals. If it was when we were already there in Hawaii and they were like, hey, let's interview some locals and put them on TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because they would be local hires. They're not going to fly somebody out from LA to do that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, although one of the hires, one of the guys at the end, has like a New Zealand accent, so I'm like, oh.
Speaker 2: Well that's I mean, there's probably a fair amount of New Zealanders at uh, Pacific Islanders are in that area. So yeah, okay, so that does make Zeeland Australia great. And a fun fact, I was originally supposed to be in this episode.
Speaker 1: Kimmy I was in it, and the night before we were to depart for Hawaii, a producer called up and said the episode is too long, we have to cut Kimmy out. And instead of being devastated, I don't even know who that. I'm trying to remember who this was. I'm like, I don't think it was Jeff. I think it was a producer like Phyllis Nelson. Phyllis, she was in charge.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Phyllis called and said, you know what, we already bought the tickets. We already have your hotel room reserved. Please come with us anyways and just hang out by the pool and you don't have to work. And I was like, yes, yep, so yeah you did, and we have your yep, we have Oh my gosh, we have so many fun stories and so many pictures, so many fun stories. Slim Slim the frog. Oh yeah, we got to pull out the pictures of us. Yeah, Slim the Frog.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've been looking for that picture and I can't find him. I haven't Slimmed the frog that we It was a terrible It was a frog that had met a very untimely end. A smash frog, but a smash frog. But he was making this funny little sort of tango dance, and and that became a stupid little running joke that we have.
Speaker 1: I have a picture of us doing the pose in Hawaii. Yeah, and I have a picture of us doing the pose at my wedding, Like we posed this Slim at my wedding. And yeah, but I don't know if I have a picture of the actual frog.
Speaker 2: I have a picture of Slim have it. Okay, there, I have a picture of Slim. Okay, that is your that's your home stuff.
Speaker 1: I well, I mean, does anybody need to see a lattin? Yes, yeah, it's he's our muse, Like, were sure it's not.
Speaker 2: I mean you can't really tell. It looks like is that a dried leaf or is that you know what I mean, it's not.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't think it was grassy. No, it's not. It's just it was a thing that happened. And I don't know why.
Speaker 2: It struck us as funny because he was in as strange little pose and so that was.
Speaker 1: Just because we were little kids. We were like, this is so oh funny. Became the running our lives.
Speaker 2: This episode was our first big travel episode together.
Speaker 1: Right, we left the stage, which is you should never leave the stage, and the sitcom should never leave the stage.
Speaker 2: It's always a disaster. We are a very well oiled machine when inside of a sound stage and you take us out and everyone goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone loses their mind and everything goes wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a few of the things that went wrong. One of the biggest things that went wrong. Just as a note to give you an overall background as to what was happening while we shot this episode. Within the first few days of being there, Jeff Franklin, who is an avid tennis player and loves to play tennis, was on the court and tore his achilles tendon, which is the tendon that connects your foot to the back of your calf.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's an important one.
Speaker 2: It's an important one. You can't walk without it, and it's really painful if you snap it. And he managed to snap it, like within the first few days we got there. So he was now in a wheelchair and on copious amounts of pain medics the whole time that uh, that he was there trying.
Speaker 1: To do the show and unbelievable.
Speaker 2: This is also in the days before cell phones. Oh yeah, and uh, one day we uh, we're all told to go to one beach and uh the crew was actually at another beach and those two beaches were not anywhere near each other. Oh dear, and so uh, Mark Sandrowski are our ad. Uh was in some sort of a panic in connection.
Speaker 3: With uh with with Keith who was our first idea or was Keith our first ada at the time.
Speaker 1: Well, we one of that was a stage manager. We had stage managers back then too, So one was a stage manager, one was an A D. I don't know, they all kind of have the same stage managers were A d's. That was just okay, okay. Then I don't know who was first for second or yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: First, Keith was first, but I can't remember if Keith was still with us it the time. Anyway, So that took some coordinating because to two different beaches, two different crowds, and getting one to the other it was yeah, oh dear.
Speaker 1: There was a lot of things.
Speaker 2: And I seem to remember before you shoot on Hawaii, before you film there, they usually do some sort of a like production blessing sort of thing. There's like a there's a you know, lore to being on the island, obviously, and the most productions do like a some sort of blessing. And if I remember right, Jeff said, we didn't do it.
Speaker 1: Oh no, oh no, Is that why everything went wrong?
Speaker 2: I think so, And I think I don't know if we've maybe made it up somewhere along we're like, oh God, well better bless this. Yeah, but whatever it was, but I or maybe that's just you know, a joke that Jeff said. Maybe whatever, But That was something that I remember hearing was that either we didn't do it, or or maybe we didn't.
Speaker 1: It was just it just didn't work. Maybe Bob and Dave weren't taking it seriously enough and they were crappy inappropriate jokes during a serious ritual, and then karma that karma happened, and that's what you get exactly.
Speaker 2: But we were in Hawaii for what like ten days shooting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I was gonna say two week, ten days, two weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we're been there about ten days. Had the best time. Families came, My dad came, my dad, your mom and dad came.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was like a fun family vacation in between work.
Speaker 1: In between work. Yeah, no, that was It was so fun. It was so fun. We were all at the Turtle Bay Hilton, like the one you see in the wide shot. That is where we all stayed, and I hung out of the pool all day while you guys went and tried to find your beach. Yeah, to work out. That was right.
Speaker 2: And I also remember that the one problem, well not the one, but one of the big problems that they had with me and John in particular, was that we tan really easily and they could not keep us the same color, right.
Speaker 1: That was a note like the evolution of your tan, the continuity of your tan. I just like it was.
Speaker 2: There's because there's some scenes that we that like come in the earth in the beginning of the episode, but we shot him later on and I'm like, I look like I've just been out in the sun for days, because I have and I can really easily and John. But what it made me realize was is I was like, there's Stephanie's Greek. Oh that's what it is. There she there, she gets she she does well in the sun.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's your part of you call that for me. Oh okay.
Speaker 2: But anyway that I do remember that they uh well, as soon as you arrive, as soon as you arrive at the hotel.
Speaker 1: The first scene in Hawaii, you are so tank Like you're so blonde and so tan. It's so blond, so tan. Yeah, so good. I can't wait to hear more of these stories. Let's get into this recap. We open. We have done away with the normal teaser of Michelle doing whatever trick of the week she learned. Now everybody is in the kitchen, they are scrambling, they're putting together last minute details for a surprise. Steph shouts they're coming, They're coming. As Becky places a cake on the table. Danny gathers Becky, dj Stephan, Michelle in front of the kitchen door and asks if is everyone ready. Michelle shouts ready, and Becky and Danny hush her and she whispers, I'm sorry, okay. Michelle's peak cuteness in this episode, like her delivery and timing. I don't know how they got these natural reactions at her, but they were hysterical, hysterical. It didn't look like she was parroting Adria. It looked very funny, and really I loved it. So Joey and Jesse walk in. They're wearing their professional clothing, and the family throws streamers at them, yelling surprise. They laugh and thank them. Then Jesse turns to Joey asking why are they doing this, and Joey responds, I don't know. Danny explains that today is the anniversary of the day they all became a family. Oh sentimental, I know, he states, as you know, you guys moved in here to help me out for a couple of months. Now, of course, you can never leave Jesse tells the family he loves them very much, and then confirms with Danny, we can never leave. Danny smiles, that's right. Then Danny breaks the news to celebrate, I have planned seven days and seven nights of NonStop family fun in Hawaii. Everybody cheers and stuff shouts Hawaii. I love their punch great, just red sugar water so good. Jesse turns to Becky and insists that she come as well. Dj adds, Oh, yeah, Becky, you and I would have so much fun. Becky hesitates, thinking it's just a family vacation. Then Danny whips out a plane ticket for her. She screams and wraps her arms around Danny, thanking him. She turns to face Jesse. Oh, Jess, you and me and Hawaii. As she wraps her arms around him, Jesse excitedly tells her we'll make a pilgrimage to every single spot where Elvis shot Blue Hawaii in sixty one and Paradise Hawaiian Style in sixty five. Oh, Becky, what could be more romantic? Becky awkwardly smiles and says, I'll make a list, dude.
Speaker 2: Well, as we see Jesse's still in.
Speaker 1: Jesse lamb dude, Like, come on, dude, where's the romance? Like, woo woo your girlfriend. Let's just stop thinking about Oh hey Hawaii.
Speaker 2: Come on.
Speaker 1: DJ tells Michelle how exciting this is, and Michelle states, good, now cut the cake while pointing to the decorated cake on the table. Everybody has grown up. Jody are so much taller this season. Yeah, you had a huge bert and Kandace has her new classic style with the like the feathered.
Speaker 2: Bangs, though the bangs are on points so on They're like, that's a good three to four inches of hype.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well is it resive? Was it this season? When she started going to a salon outside of the studio, She would get her hair done before coming to the studio to get into hair and makeup. So it was like one particular person at one particular salon that would do that blowout with those bangs. Oh, I don't know, and I don't know if it was this season or later, but the hairstyle looked like the hairstyle she had. Oh then maybe Sun so maybe it was season three?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well and also season three, we have some new title cards.
Speaker 1: Yes, we do have some new title cards.
Speaker 2: The adults and most of the group ones are the same other than the kids have new ones.
Speaker 1: Laurie now has her.
Speaker 2: Own title card because she's a series regular. Yes, and then of course the family scene at the end. We are now in the backyard having a barbecue. Oh I love that, seated around at the table together.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, those were some new little bits in the season three. But yeah, everyone has changed and has I think I even wrote down like ooh, new haircuts like everyone, you know, it's just all trimmed and looks good.
Speaker 1: Everyone was freshly quaffed.
Speaker 2: Everyone looked and again John and I are still very still.
Speaker 1: So did you shoot this before you went to Hawaii or act would have been because if I was just out in the sun.
Speaker 2: We had a pool when I was a kid, Like, if I was just out in the sun like that, they that was always the thing that I just come back, really really tan, Jody.
Speaker 1: It's unavoidable, no matter how sunscreen you wear.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So after these new title credits, we see some very generic stock footage of a surfer in the ocean, just to telegraph to anyone who was sleeping through the teaser that we are now in Hawaii, in Hawaiian and we see a wide shot of the Turtle Bay Hilton. A blue van rolls up to the hotel with the Tanner family inside. Everyone cheers, we made it. Jesse and Becky are greeted by a hula dancer who places a lay on Jesse. Jesse eyes the hula dancer and starts to say have When Becky tells him careful and grabs him by the lay, Jesse finishes, oh, I did yet, and perhaps even more offensively, he's wearing white pleated pants that are the look maybe Linen, I don't know it.
Speaker 2: Was who wears white pleated pants to yes, Like, well, my problem was more with Danny.
Speaker 1: Who's in a coat like a tweed coat. Why is he wearing a tweed coat? Yeah, he's not doing Wake Up San Francisco Live from Hawaii? Like why why is he dressed like this? Like the girls are in cute little sun dresses or rompers sandals, Like the women are dressed very appropriately, but but not the guys.
Speaker 2: You know what I will say, though, is the again the Tanner's piling out of this car and causing all of this commotion and yelling and taking pictures. All I could think was here they are again, the family that you don't want to see on vacations.
Speaker 1: It's like the airport, say the Christmas airport scene. Obnoxious. They are the obnoxious Americans that show up ignace and are just like loud, drawing attention to themselves. Can't can't figure things out. It's it's so. Steph is looking at the view and she cannot help her excitement. Hawaii has a swimming pool and an ocean and a soda machine. No wonder they call it paradise. It's true. The hula dancer greets Michelle with a lay and says, Aloha, little girl. Michelle responds, Aloha, lady, I see your belly button. Yep. She's just pointing out the obvious. You know you got a lot of hula dancers there, Yeah, exposed billy buttons. So Joey locks eyes with a hula dancer and appears to be instantly in love. Dreamy music plays as Joey gives the dancer a little wave. Steph interrupts his deep fantasy by snapping her fingers in his face. He turns to Steph and asks, did you see that girl? First she smiled at me, then she winked at me, and then she turned into somebody else, and an older lady is now standing where the girl once was. She waves at Joey, and Joey winds I hate when that happens, and Steph rolls her eyes at him, which is the perfect like you're rolling over your eyes? Was just no notes perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I'm still so confused. This was I this storyline was so weird to me. I was like, it's so Joey's just having hallucination. It's just how's he has he become that desperate and alone that he's like I see, yeah, he's.
Speaker 1: Not having luck in his love life. So he's now he's imagining women. Now he's imagining women. Yeah, and there. Yeah, it was I guess it was supposed to be like a mirage, but it was. Yeah, it went on like it's like they could have given him.
Speaker 2: So it was just it just came out of nowhere for me. Yeah, but that felt like this entire episode just everything comes out of nowhere.
Speaker 1: You're like, WHOA, what is happening? Yeah, just we're in Hawaii. We're gonna throw everything and salt that the wall and see what sticks everything. So Danny walks over to grab Michelle. And announces that he has plans for everyone. Everyone then walks away. He says, Yo, callin all Tanners. Where's everybody going? DJ's going surfing, stuff is going swimming, and Joey has got to find that hula girl. Jesse has his arm around.
Speaker 2: But hula dancer would be more appropriate. But who the dancer?
Speaker 1: Okay? Yeah, no, I didn't mean for you.
Speaker 2: I just meant like he says it, and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, oh yeah, well yeah, she's a woman. She's not a girl for sure. So Jesse announces that he and Becky are taking the same drive that Elvis took in Blue Hawaii, and Becky scrunches up her nose and asks Jesse, we are again the self absorption? What are you doing with? Narcissism is alive and well right, Danny warns everyone to calm down because they are going to get to do everything together. Everyone moans why, and Danny responds back, well, that's a good start. He reminds him they came to Hawaii to celebrate their two years of being one big, happy family, and he tells them he scheduled every minute of activities and it's all on his clipboard of fun. Oh the fun so famous that it comes back in fuller House. Danny glances at his watch and tells them the trip has begun and per his schedule, they only have fifteen minutes to check in. Danny runs off, holding Michelle. Sure, and next we're on a golf course where Joey has taken a swing at the tea box. He sighs and asks you sure nobody else wants to play golf. The camera flashes to everyone on a six seater golf cart reading magazines, bored out of their minds, and everyone's like, no, yep, and Dave really does love golf, so this is inaccurate. Yeah, this was great. Yeah, he got to do what he loves. Danny narrates as the camera pans over a pretty beach. He says, now that Joey has had his fun, it's time to learn about the culture of Hawaii. Jesse sarcastically asks where are you taking us? The don Hoe Museum. And it's funny. It's funny to hear like which lines are so eighty r like they're so obviously right, this is right, It's I imagine there was a lot of looping to be had, all right. Next, the crew ends up at the legend of the menahunees hut. Steph points at the entrance sign and says, look a little hula munchkin. Becky corrects her and explains, no, it's a Menahune. According to the ancient legend, they were the first people to inhabit the Hawaiian Islands. The Manahunis have magical powers and help people when they are in trouble, but only if you really believe in them.
Speaker 2: Is this a real lore of the Hawaiian Islands or is this just something that they made up for the white people that come.
Speaker 1: With Well you know what I mean, right, Okay, I think it's a real thing, at least for tourists. I don't think it was made up just for this show.
Speaker 2: But no, no, it wasn't just for this show. But I mean, like, is it I mean, is it for tourists or no?
Speaker 1: Not? But like, is right?
Speaker 2: Is it like something that they made up and they were like, ah, let's do this or is it like actually, like you know what actual cultural significance is it?
Speaker 1: There's probably a kernel of truth in there, like one kernel of cultural significance. And then right, and then just the tourists, the white people ran and then how can we sell things about it?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Okay, So if anyone has the real answer to that, please let us know, because we.
Speaker 2: Yeah, please, because this storyline felt uh yeah, for I was like, oh, we are dangerously close to.
Speaker 1: Just yeah, offending anyway, a lot of people to offend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I would like it to be known that I was a child and I did not, but yeah, please, there was yeah, because there were a lot of things where I was like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: That that's okay? Yeah, well yeah, true.
Speaker 2: Tanner's definitely visited Hawaii.
Speaker 1: In the eighties. Yes, definitely, it's it screams nineteen eighty nine. Oh boy, So Steph exclaims that she really does believe and she wants to meet at Menahne. DJ tells her, Steph, menahoneys are make believe like Mickey Mouse stuph pushes back. Oh yeah, then how come at Disneyland we shook hands with Mickey? Did you shake hands with a make believe mouse? DJ fumbles over her words, and Steph emphasizes, I think you do know. Steph is just dishing it out, you know, yeah, she was really she's so confident. I think you know I'm right yeah. Steph turns to talk to mister Bear in her arms and says, poor kid can't tell the difference between real and make believe because mister Bear is real, you know. Of course. Next, the blue van pulls up to the beach and Danny announces they have an hour and twenty minutes to meet and greet over fifty seven varieties of marine life. Everyone cheers and walks to the water. The camera cuts to Jesse writing a killer whale and yelling, Becky, get a picture. That's this is.
Speaker 2: It was just so I was like, oh, now we're writing whales like it was. Everything in this episode happened so fast.
Speaker 1: There was no segue. Yeah, Danny has that throw a line about marine life. But now suddenly you're like a SeaWorld type establishment.
Speaker 2: But fifty seven varieties of marine life. I think they were at like marine world or a sea world type.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They weren't snarkling in the ocean. No, you were at a no.
Speaker 2: No, we were established visiting some poor little whales in a tank.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and dolphins yeah, and Jesse's writing one of them. Okay. Becky tries to take a picture, but says tell him to swim more to the left and Jesse's like, it's a killer whale. You tell him this is really John did great for being as non athletic as he is, he did a very good job. Yeah, riding that killer whale. Impressive. Joey's on a plank over the water with Michelle on his lap and a dolphin dances in front of them. Michelle says, nice fishy, Big Fishy and Stephan DJ are also hanging out by the water with some dolphins. Danny remains on the beach with his video camera, trying to capture every moment. DJ and Steph grab onto a dolphin and Danny tells them, hang on, girls, those things don't come with seat belts. The dolphins pull them as the girls laugh and scream. That was such a highlight.
Speaker 2: And of course now I have my you know, poor issues with dolphins and all of that in captivity, but as a ten year old, as a seven year old, it was one of the most exciting moments of my life. I love animals. I love anything I get to do with animals, and I was like, let's do this.
Speaker 1: I was not afraid. I was like one ready to jump right in.
Speaker 2: I think we did it twice because if I remember right, the first time we went across, I think Candice started to go and then her hands slipped or something and I think she had like we had to turn around.
Speaker 1: And do it again.
Speaker 2: Okay, uh, but yeah it was I I mean, as you can see from the gigantic smile plastered on my face, huge, and I believe that the reactions when we get out of the water, when we're like, oh my gosh, that was so fun, that was like, that's just genuinely that was just the cameras like on us after and that was our kind of natural reaction.
Speaker 1: It was pretty amazing. It looked like a blast. Now, did you have trainers? Like did you have any instruction or did they just throw you on a dolphins and hold on? You know? Was one thing. But yeah, no, the trainers were right there because.
Speaker 2: Dolphins can you know, they're they're they're animals, so they yeah, definitely had to be you know, with the trainers and all that kind of stuff. But yeah, it was yeah, very you know, they did a good job.
Speaker 1: They didn't.
Speaker 2: None of the animals were like, you know, abused or overworked.
Speaker 1: Or anything like that.
Speaker 2: It was just you know, but we did have like one or two times to do it and then that was it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so they did. It was one of those no, they did not.
Speaker 2: It was one of those like this is this is your one shot, enjoy it sort of moments, okay, and you know they they go relatively fast and you're like, oh, you really got to hold on and they're slippery.
Speaker 1: Oh you know, if you've ever touched a dolphin, they're very slippery.
Speaker 2: So it is I can see, uh, you know why she slipped off that first go around. But yeah, it's uh, it was a really really exciting moment and something that I'll never forget, you know, doing with the full house crew.
Speaker 1: Oh it looked awesome. I can only imagine as a seven year old, like, what an experience. That's just so cool. Oh yeah, one of those iconic moments that you just always remember. Yeah, absolutely so great. So they reached the deck and Danny is standing over them with his clipboard and a stopwatch. He announces, Okay, time's up. Everybody out of the pool. He blows his whistle and three dolphins magically leap out of the water and he shouts not you guys. Sometime later, Jesse is excited and runs over to a palm tree hanging over a stream. He says, this is it, folks, this is the exact tree Elvis floated by singing drums of the island in his nineteen sixty five Technicolor Classic Paradise Hawaii style. Please just take a moment and let it all soak in. I was wondering, like he dragged the whole family, like I thought he was just Becky was the poor hostage on this, you know. Now everyone is the hostage. Everyone hostage. Everyone's the hostage in this situation, and the gang. So the gang's watching is Jesse's just doing his thing, and Becky finally chimes in and says, well, I'm soaked, let's go.
Speaker 2: Well, remember Danny said they had to do everything together because originally people were like, oh, I'm gonna go do this, I'm gonna go do that, but Danny's like, no, we're doing it together.
Speaker 1: So everybody had to go.
Speaker 2: While Joey was golfing, everybody asks to go, while Jesse's looking.
Speaker 1: Looking at her. Oh my goodness. Okay, so this is Danny's fault. It's it really has nothing to do with Jesse. It's Dan.
Speaker 2: He was like, I would have gone and done this by myself, but you guys all got to come with me because we got to stick togetherat.
Speaker 1: So Jesse asked if they would take some pictures, and he strikes an Elvis pos and says, thank you. You're a beautiful family. Michelle turns to Becky and mutters, he's nuts again, perfect little button to this scene, and she crushes it.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, because John is acting like an It's hilarious.
Speaker 1: She's like the Greek chorus. She's saying exactly what we're all thinking. Yeah, Jesse is nuts. Everyone is now in a kayak, paddling synchronously. How do you say that? Synchronous? Synchronous synchronously and yelling stroke?
Speaker 2: Oh god, can you imagine them getting through that?
Speaker 1: How many takes did this take? How many?
Speaker 2: Right with Bob and Dave with a long paddle in their hands, yelling's stroke repeated d please. I was actually looking at them. I was like, what are they doing? Are they doing anything inappropriate? But you know what I mean, like what what did they tried to do that?
Speaker 1: They couldn't quite get away with it? But yeah, it was I can only imagine, like at least the kids were there, so they had to rein it in somewhat. But yeah, yeah, they imagine I was going to.
Speaker 2: I don't remember them doing anything, but I'm sure that they were. Yeah, and then but I do remember that, you know. Again, it was one of those you got one shot to do the sort of things when David jumps into the water. Yeah, because Joey's hallucinating again, right, did Joey bring like some shrooms on this strip?
Speaker 1: What's happening? I don't know, you know, like, is it that, are you dehydrated?
Speaker 2: Do you need some water?
Speaker 1: Is it sunstroke? What's happening?
Speaker 2: And why do you keep seeing invisible people?
Speaker 1: It would make more sense if he had sunstroke or there was some medical explanation for this. Yeah, we just never find out. We never find it out, so weird. Yeah, yeah, anyway, but he did this dive was beautiful. At first, I was convinced it was a stunt person, but then he popped up and I was like, oh my god, that was really Dave doing this dive. It was fantastic. Joey reaches ashore, but his hula girl is no longer there. He weeps, She's gone, and I'm alone and wet and hallucinating again.
Speaker 2: Right and right and possibly having a psychotic break. But that's that's neither here north east of your concerns.
Speaker 1: Next, the family is on a boat. Oh oh, the boat. I have stories about this, but good, I can't wait. This is this is adventure. This is ambitious, like put in a candy.
Speaker 2: Just one vague story because all of us, all of us kids, were so hopped up on dramamine, because we were in that boat all day for hours. They were worried about it's getting seasick, so they gave us dramamine. Okay, Well, one thing that dramamine does is knocks you out.
Speaker 1: Oh no.
Speaker 2: So if you look at Michelle in the entire scene, she's wearing that life jacket, but she's just leaned up against the table. She is one hundred percent asleep. One hundred percent asleep. You can see she look you look at me and Canvas over in the corner. When it's like just group shots everything, I'm like passages on the like. Thank God for the life jackets. It's the only thing that kept our heads up. Right, we were all asleep. We're out in the sun and on the thing. I remember Adria was like talked under the under the the cabin of the boat, so she'd like pull us under there to get out of the sun. It was hot, it was we were out there forever.
Speaker 1: It sounds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Michelle is one hundred percent asleep. And then when you see it, like at the end of the scene.
Speaker 1: She grabs the chips.
Speaker 2: If you look at her face, she's like just like I think that was the only action shot because it was the only time they could get her to do something because they were just out.
Speaker 1: We were all just asleep. Oh my sea. Yeah, that that was hysterical. I was just like, why isn't Michelle moving over there in the corner? They were like just kind of lean her. I don't know, it's so funny. She looked like the drunk baby stand in right she did. That wassterical. I can only imagine the logistics involved with planning a shoot on a moving boat in.
Speaker 2: Well, we had to there was the boat where that we were all in, and then of course there's the boat next to us that has the crew and stuff and the you know all that.
Speaker 1: It was yeah, and Jeff with a broken foot and a cast and a wheelchair, was he did they put him on the don't think he I don't know. I can't imagine they could. I don't know. I don't know what a horrible time let him onto a boat. I mean, I know they had to wheel him onto the sand, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: If they had to put boards down to get him across the sand.
Speaker 1: And the crazy thing is is he did it again in Fuller House when we went to Japan.
Speaker 2: Right before we went to Japan, he broke his foot again and traveled to Japan with a broken foot and we were like a full cast with crutches in the beginning of season three.
Speaker 1: It's cursed. It's because nobody did the production blessing or whatever. Right, Yep, Jeff is still cursed to this day. So Danny says the clipboard of fun says that I get to be the skipper of the boat, and dj complains, Skipper, We've been out here for hours literally, And Jesse's like, Danny, do you even have a clue where we are? Everyone wearing their bright orange life vests on the boat, neck pillows, neck pillows like travel pillows. Yea, and Danny's wearing a captain hat and he says, oh he madies gather around ye skipper Steff enthusiastically responds II Skipper. I don't know if I was.
Speaker 2: Too enthusiastic though, yeah, I was driaming. I was like, yes, you're just trying to stay away, just like, yeah, just get through the line.
Speaker 1: Danny claims that they will be arriving any minute to Pua, where they will have a picnic on the beach and a Polynesian show. When Joey asks what island he's referring to, Danny sticks his finger on the map to show Joey and the island comes up with his finger in the form of a potato chip. Dj points out that it's on his finger and Jesse says, oh, hey, Maties, your skipper's been sailing all morning to a potato chip crumb.
Speaker 2: Everybody else the Dangers of Life before GPS navigating to a piece of lint.
Speaker 1: This was a great bit. I mean, it's it's very sick commy, but I loved it. I'm like, that's is really funny. Like I was very entertained by this.
Speaker 2: I mean, and this whole family is like, we have to navigate ourselves to a beach, to an island to see a show.
Speaker 1: That's impressive. Yes, it's very very ambitious, but Danny's determined to stick to his clipboard of fun, like he's not going to stray from that.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe this is where we find out Danny's love of nautical things and why his entire house is in a nautical theme because he's always dreamed of being a skipper, and so this is his moment, and now we see that he actually really sucks at it and he should just stick to putting a sea pappy.
Speaker 1: In his living room. That all makes sense now, like that makes total sense. This is something he's always aspired to be. But yeah, he's just stuck with a sea pappy and some old ancient wooden.
Speaker 2: Just not yeah, yeah, anytime Danny's on a boat, it doesn't sea crews yes, oh bad, and go what.
Speaker 1: Bad things happen when Danny's on a boat? So Becky points out an island in the distance and everyone cheers. DJ asks exactly where that island is on the map, just as Michelle dumps the entire bag of potato chips on it or was it even heard?
Speaker 2: Was somebody like no, but you can see weird, like the bag goes like over her face and they were probably great, she's half a sleep anyway, we don't need.
Speaker 1: To see it yet. We got the shot. Let's move on right next on the island. The family lands on the island and discovers that there is nothing up the beach or down the beach. Jesse says, I haven't seen one sign of intelligent life skipper. Danny instructs everyone not to panic and to just go back to the boat. Joey holds Michelle as she says aye, Aye, skipper, and Joey tells her don't encourage Danny. There's been a change of plans now, as Danny explains they are going to have their picnic on the boat. He says they can still make the Polynesian Show, but if they're late, this could spell disaster for the clipboard of fun. Oh no. Michelle waves bye bye to the boat and DJ thinks it's adorable until she realizes it's their boat floating away. Danny says, oh, DJ, don't be silly. I tied up our boat right and he points to where he thinks the boat is, but it's not. Jesse grabs his arm and points it in the right direction of where the boat actually is, which is several several yards off the shore. Danny runs into the water shouting come back, with Jesse closely behind him. Becky warns Jesse he won't catch the boat, and Jesse says back, I don't want to catch the boat. I want to catch Danny.
Speaker 2: Oh, is this round two of when he uh, you know, when he when he fractured a rib of Danny's at thea after they eloped. Oh yeah, we know there's a history of Jesse, you know, pumeling Danny.
Speaker 1: So Danny has a legitimate fear. Yeah, no, this is this is Jesse's mildly violent side and right, yeah, yeah, I'm here for this. We cut to a quick commercial break, and when we come back, Jesse is still chasing Danny around the beach, and John is wearing white sneakers and white socks, whereas everyone else's barefoot, Like what what does John hate sand?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Why is Jesse wearing in addition to his skinny chicken legs.
Speaker 2: He's got he has very tiny, dainty feet, and he and he felt that they looked better in shoes.
Speaker 1: It just looked so out of place that I like, this had to be something John insisted on because everyone else's well, yeah it was.
Speaker 2: It was part of the look, right, it was like the tank top and the white linen pants and.
Speaker 1: Like the shoes, Like I get it.
Speaker 2: It's like my kids that go to the beach and they're like I'm and I'm like, why are you wearing tennis shoes?
Speaker 1: And they're like it's part of my look. It's like I don't understand you. Yeah, well, in this scene he's ditched the white linen pants and he's wearing like the loudest neon shorts. The neon very very bright, so like very bright. They should have been saved and rescued just from Yeah, they would have.
Speaker 2: It just could have waved those in the air and attract attention.
Speaker 1: That would have solved everything if they just thought of that.
Speaker 2: Well, the whole family is dressed like, uh, a really obnoxious sort of flower pattern. Yeah that both clashes and coordinates and I'm not sure how, but yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Very Kimmy gibbler asque. I I loved it. It is. The palette is floral, floral, floral.
Speaker 2: You know, mismatched floral.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: May I say Becky's swimsuit cover up that she's wearing in the scene has shoulder pads.
Speaker 1: It does, Oh my gosh, that is so eighties? Does it a baby suit cover up? Has shoulder pads?
Speaker 2: It severe shoulder pads like Dave LORI like a like it was like a like.
Speaker 1: A very like a linebacker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, very great, like it was yeah, like very out and uh huh.
Speaker 1: Hey, you shoulders needed structure in the eighties. They so they did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and each time like shoulder pads.
Speaker 1: So it's hey, when you're hot and sweaty and it's humid, what you need more.
Speaker 2: They prevent your shoulders from getting tann though, does it leave a strange tan line when you have a shoulder pad in.
Speaker 1: Your and I would assume I would assume.
Speaker 2: It create some sort of at least maybe your shoulders don't get burnt, like a little mini umbrella.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like a tart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a tart or an over a little Yeah, it's like a little Yeah, it's like a little patio cover.
Speaker 1: So after Jesse finally calms down, Danny lets him speak. Jesse aggressively states, first thing I'd like to say is I hate this clipboard of fun and he chucks it into the water perfectly like it perfectly lands right in between the two guys, it's excellent framing. Jesse is fuminge and out of breath. How could a person lose a boat? Danny believes the rope must have slipped off the rope thingy and Joey chimes in, well, if we were on Gilligan's Island, the professor would make a radio out of coconuts.
Speaker 2: Helpful, Joey, it's so helpful. Just go back to having a hallucination somewhere and let us figure this out.
Speaker 1: Such a Joey moment, though it was very, very classic. Jesse interrupts to say that this is not the time for comedy and it's time to blame Danny.
Speaker 2: To be fair, they were all standing there, Yeah, they were all standing there on the beach when this boat floated away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nobody knows.
Speaker 2: Now Danny didn't do a great job at tying it up. But whoever thought Danny was gonna be, you know, responsible enough to tie this boat up, having probably never done it in his life?
Speaker 1: I mean that, you know. Yeah, all I'm saying is I don't feel this entirely falls on Danny, that the boat floated away. No, No, I mean, ultimately it's his fault because of the clipboard of Fun and his insistence on doing everything together and going that on this boat adventure. But yeah, everybody's at fault for losing the boat, because come on, when the two year old is the only one that notices that the boat's missing, something's wrong. So Joey responds relaxed, Jess, we have the rest of our lives to blame Danny right now. We need to keep things light and easy so the girls don't get scared, So I don't get scared. Becky and the girls walk over and wonder if they are actually in trouble, and the boys all say no. Steph suggests that if they believe in the Menahunees, they will come and help them. Dj makes fun of Steph and says seven year olds, aren't they adorable as she pats Steph's head mm hmm. Becky's instinct is in survival mode, and she suggests that they start looking for food, shelter, and water. Joey walks over to the shore and sees that the clipboard of Fun has floated back. Jesse chucks it back into the water and says they have a lot to do. Danny picks up Michelle and admits that he messed up big time, and Michelle says to him, it's okay, skipper, And how can some of these scenes look like green screens? Like, I know it's just because we're not in a contained environment, but some of them look like green screens and some of them look like regular beach.
Speaker 2: Well, it's what it is, is that we were like the lighting was a light scene when we would like flip directions and we were having to account for lighting loss, we didn't exit. It was like just a real bright white light sort of you know, it was in like it was very hard to get you know, subtle lighting matches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and yeah, it quite.
Speaker 2: Looks like just like a giant bounce, right. It was a white sort of light, like a set light. Yeah, but yeah, that was what it was, is like just it looked very flat. Yeah, there was no depth to it because there was no shadows.
Speaker 1: It was just I think that, Yeah, that.
Speaker 2: Always drives me nuts when I see it in shows and or particularly sitcoms, like when things look really flat, when it's just like a yeah, like it's too bright.
Speaker 1: It really stood out. And there's one point where you're talking up to one of the characters and you're like, I can see you're not looking at them and the eye because it was too bright. I cannot do outdoors. I can't.
Speaker 2: I am the I look like mister magoole. I can't be outside without sunglasses.
Speaker 1: It's I just can't do it.
Speaker 2: Even when they're like, just look at the sun, and I'm like, no, forty forty two years of this, it's not gonna get any better. I'm going to look like this the whole time. Yeah, and yeah, that was a nightmare.
Speaker 1: That was who Yeah it was who was the DP on this, because yeah, they did not have an easy job with having to light the out course. Right, Yeah here match Hawaii. Yeah, kinds of the day too. Sometimes it looks like sunset and sometimes it looks like high noon. It's right, oh yeah, trying to yeah exactly a little while later, Joey is talking to himself in his Popeye voice as he searches to coconut.
Speaker 2: Joey is unraveling alone, talking talking to himself in a Popeye voice.
Speaker 1: That's concerning. I would be like, are you he definitely has sunstroke or he's ingested something that perhaps should not have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he he ate a piece of bad uh fruit something.
Speaker 1: It's it's very he's very extra in this. In this scene, Yeah, as he stands with two coconuts in his arms, one coconut falls onto his head from a tree.
Speaker 2: Also, that would like knock you out, Like people die from getting hit on the head with coconut.
Speaker 1: I was surprised this must so well. Obviously it wasn't a real coconut, was it? Just like it's probably a foam, just like I was, like a foconut, a folcan, Oh, a fuconut. I love it. A fake a coconut, a foconut. We should have fatten it because it had good bat like it looked real enough that it like it just hit his head. It didn't bounce like a like a nerf ball or whatever it was. But yeah, I'm like that had to have hurt. But if it was just like, yeah, a foconut, it was probably yeah. I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it was a foconut or if it was like an actual thing. They just didn't drop it from very high. I'm not sure. But all I know is if that really happened, I think you would be be in the hospital having more problems than just speaking in.
Speaker 1: A pop bye voice. Definitely, although that's a pretty major one. Dave is doing a lot of stunts in this episode. Really, he's to be commended for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got a lot, Yeah, diving, jumping, hallucinating, oh yeah, pop eyeing, lots of things.
Speaker 1: So then the coconut knocks him onto his knees and he appears to be dreaming and he sees his hula girl dancing in the water at the shore. Sounds joke again. She calls his name. Okay, so this has to be a hallucination's audit.
Speaker 2: Now it's auditory hallucinations in addition to just visual.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's he's concerned going beyond some sort of a break. So he runs over to hug her in the water, but she disappears right as Joey reaches her. This is some fancy special effects for nineteen eighty nine sitcom where she like disappears and he's for.
Speaker 2: A random storyline about a disappearing woman.
Speaker 1: It's such a it's so weird to me. I just this whole story. I'm like, yeah, why. It was like, well, they needed to give something to do, something for Joey to do, and so they was like, let's have him obsess over over a hula dancer and yeah, I guess, I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: But he now has a concussion, so that could and I mean he was hallucinating before the concussion. Now, don't let him go to sleep, you know what I mean? He could, I mean if he starts feeling nauseous.
Speaker 1: It's not that's for sure. So next Jesse is leading Becky to a waterfall. They have discovered fresh water. Becky admires how romantic the scene is and asks Jesse to kiss her. They have a lovely kiss, and Jesse tells her in his Elvis accent, that's paradise Hawaiian style. Little mama.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I too would have thrown him off the cliff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Becky complains, she's like he is still talking about Elvis, and Jesse asks, well, what's the matter. You got a problem with the King, and she tells him the King made the exact same movie thirty three times and the only thing that changed were his sideburns. Ooh, she's not wrong, that's it's it means, got it not wrong. Jesse hesitates to speak, as he can't believe Becky has a problem with Elvis's sideburns. He then believes that Becky hates Elvis and tells her she is jealous because Elvis has better hair than her. Jesse even tells her to check a mirror. Why what what?
Speaker 2: Like kiss Hee overreacting again, yet again reacting and having to insult her and be like, Elvis has better hair than you.
Speaker 1: This is he is so childish. He's so childish. It's like, dude, this is the woman that you want as your fiance. Like, let's not insult her. It's like, come on, stop it, stop it. Your being a little obsessive. Yeah, he is. Becky is done. She's done talking with him. Becky just jumps into the waterfall like she doesn't hesitate, she's just like peace out, MF. And she just jumps right into the beautiful swan dive too.
Speaker 2: I mean, I assume those were stunt doubles. We were at some nature park I believe where we shot that. It was beautiful, It was really really pretty. Yeah, but I remember, yeah, it was a stunt doubles up there on the top. But it looked like them, right, gorgeous, gorgeous setting, and I'm I keep seeing things.
Speaker 1: Is this why they had in Fuller? They had DJ and Steve jump off a waterfall too.
Speaker 2: I keep seeing like I think they maybe. Yeah, No, I thought the same thing. I was like, oh my gosh, it reminds me of you know the episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, babe, it's a thing. It's a tradition. Yeah, in Full House.
Speaker 2: It's a thing that they jump off, Yeah, into a little pond.
Speaker 1: Why wouldn't you. It's if you've got a waterfall, you got to use it. People.
Speaker 2: If you've got it, if you've got a waterfall, you have to jump off of it. It's which I actually don't recommend because oftentimes the water is shallow, so please.
Speaker 1: Be very careful. Ah, yeah, definitely, and never dive head first like Becky does. No, No, she's a little too graceful, and Jesse's a little more realistic. He just sort of kind of cannonballs out there. And then once they land in the water and poke their heads back up, they just continue fight, fighting, as if you know, they hadn't just dived off a cliff. I thought they were going for a kiss, like that's what I was expecting them to, you know, surface from the water and then immediately embrace and start making out. I was surprised they kept fighting. So okay, So next we see steph Out wandering the island alone but with mister bear. No adults are in sight. She's just seven years old. That's what you do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're like, you should go roam around the jungle. Uh, when we're stranded on an island by yourself.
Speaker 1: And some interesting camera work, Like they had like a steady cam out and like it was kind of you know, a little little reality style.
Speaker 2: Didn't even have like I mean, I don't know how they feel me, I have steady like it was a mounted cam. I don't even know if we had like steady cam types. I mean there was, yeah, I guess there was no, but anyway, it different. It looked Yeah, it definitely looked different. Yeah, Billy Foster was doing some things. He was it had lots of creating some moments. Yeah, he was experimenting. Well because you couldn't you because you couldn't put a Dolly track down over the over all that because it was bumpy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: You can't put like a track down that like the camera rides on because it's just where you have to. Yeah, you have to put it on a camera operator and have them wear it.
Speaker 1: So that's why it was like a little bit a little bit shaky because you know, yeah, they didn't have a dolly. So just then a little boy in a hula outfit walks up to Steph. They both shout, and Steph says, mata hoodie, and she races to find DJ.
Speaker 2: I just went, oh, yeah, do you remember this boy?
Speaker 1: Do you like? I know I don't. And I'm not even credited in the in the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, he's the warrior or is that or maybe the maybe the speaking one is the warriort.
Speaker 1: You know, he isn't even credited. He's credited. Oh he did a great job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he did a great he was he did a great job. But yeah, I just felt felt bad.
Speaker 1: Just I feel saying I felt bad.
Speaker 2: Scott would say that, you know, I just saw some young boy in dressed in traditional costume and the jungle and I screamed, screamed, just felt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ran away. Yeah you know you're out, You're unattended. There's no events around.
Speaker 2: Something, right, I mean, hey, I would have seen anybody. Yeah, thank god Steph needed somebody with her, right, or Steph is also hallucinating.
Speaker 1: Maybe this whole twenty two minute episode is one big hallucination. It's Kimmy sort of feels because she was invited at the last minute, she got disinvited, and so this is her dream, This is her hallucination. So DJ's sitting on a rock with her fishing rod when she catches the clipboard of fun and her reaction is very ironic, considering DJ brings back this clipboard of fun and is just like Danny in Fuller House. She checks it back into the water as Steph tries to catch her breath and explain what she just saw. Steph exclaims, We're saved. I saw a menahoneye. I do believe. I do believe. DJ believes that Steph has been in the sun for way too long. Steph says that mister Bear saw the menahonee too, and DJ tells her, your only witness has buttons for eyeballs. DJ insists that there are no menahonies, which frightens Steph as she doesn't know what's going to happen to them. They have no house, no bed, no phone. She adds, we can't even call out for pizza. We are doomed. That's the thing, that's the final straw, is that Yeah, yeah, you can't order pizza. You're doomed. I mean, it's true, Steph.
Speaker 2: All of a sudden, it's like I'm getting a little hungry, guys, I little hungry.
Speaker 1: We need food. DJ assures Hery that Danny and the boys will figure it out, so there is nothing to worry about. The camera cuts to Danny sweeping dirt with a homemade broom. He's sweeping a beach, like, here's the thing though, here's the thing though.
Speaker 2: I actually wrote down, Oh my gosh, this reminds me of when I did that show where I was in Panama.
Speaker 1: Because oh yeah, you actually.
Speaker 2: Do find yourself using palm fronds to dust things off or sweep like excess dirt away. Really, it's not like you're not gonna get it clean, okay, but it definitely comes in handy to like brush things off or like sort of sweet you know. Oh, I mean, Danny's probably gonna be there for a lot longer. But but yeah, no, I did. I was like, oh, yeah, I remember doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So you're just clearing off a space to like sit down or make your hut or whatever. Right, you're just kind of yeah, okay, yeah, okay, that's right, I forgot you have real life experience with being stranded on an island. Stranded on an island, Yeah, exactly, that's so great. Joey walks up to Danny carrying large sticks and asks what he's doing. Danny responds, this island is a pig sty. All of a sudden, Michelle points up to the sky at a plane. The plane, the plane. Everyone runs to the shore to wave their hands and shout for help. Jesse negatively says, they can't hear us, they're gone. They should he should have just taken off his shorts and waved those neon shorts like that would have attracted anyone's attention. Honestly, they should have.
Speaker 2: I mean, one of the first things they should have done is spelled sos out on the beach with some rocks.
Speaker 1: But that's you know, no, no, that when they're busy sweeping. They're busy sweeping and looking for menahoonees and diving off of cliffs. They have a lot on the flip board of fund. So Jesse lets Danny know that this is all his fault, and he adds, I say we leave you and start our own tribe. This isn't survivor like, this is Survivor before.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's yeah, it's it's sort of giving vibes of like Lord of the Flies a little bit, you know, Yeah, it's going to start our own group. And you're right, and you're like, oh no, that something's there's gonna be a battle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's a conch later. You're right, this is Lord of the Flies. Yeah. Yeah. Becky looks up at Jesse with a smile and says, what's it going to be? A tribe of Elvis impersonators. The two of them quickly launch into another fight, and Joey and Danny's start up as well.
Speaker 2: That's going well, it's been great, going so well.
Speaker 1: Steph tells DJ she thought everything would be under control. As everyone continues to fight, DJ blows into a conch shell and tells everyone to stop. She reminds them the whole reason for this trip was to celebrate being a family. We're lucky to have each other. I bet if we start working together as a team, we can make Potato Chip Crumb Island a totally rad place to hang.
Speaker 2: A totally rad place to hang was so eighties.
Speaker 3: So I was like, yeah, dude, yeah, like it was so yeah, it could be a totally rad place to hang like.
Speaker 1: It felt like a like an after school special moment, you know, but I did like this speech came out of nowhere. She went from, you know, bitching about the clipboard of fun in the Ocean to now she's like, come on, guys, we can do it.
Speaker 2: Although I will say the whole when she says the whole reason for the strip is to celebrate being a family, I feel like arguing on a beach is really the epitome of vacation with your family.
Speaker 1: It doesn't get more family, does get more family than that?
Speaker 2: That's yeah, going on vacation with your family is just arguing with better views.
Speaker 1: It's paying to argue someone.
Speaker 2: Yeah somewhere, I'm paying to argue in a nicer location where I don't have to make the bed.
Speaker 1: That's what It's exactly right. That is family vacation in a nutshell. Yes, So, DJ thanks everyone for their attention, and Michelle replies, you're welcome. Danny is proud of DJ's speech, and Joey and Jesse are encouraged to start building a hutt. Becky suggests they call it Grassland, and Jesse smiles and they kiss. So I guess they've made up. Okay, Steph thanks DJ for her speech as well, because she claims Michelle was looking a little worried, and Michelle answers, not me. She sold you out, man, She's really yeah. I was like, it's obviously the little kid. Michelle has learned from Stephanie. She's catching on to Stephanie's ways and she's just dishing it right bank.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, the third one's always the one like the you know, the first one's like the responsible one, the second one is a little and then the third one is feral. The third one is yeah, totally fair. Yeah s, thank you for an extra piece of bacon at breakfast. You know that's they don't care. They've learned, they've had to fight for everything that they've gotten from the two older ones.
Speaker 1: Yet, yes, as the third born in my family, I agree one hundred percent. That is survival of the fittest, and Michelle is gonna be the FI.
Speaker 2: I'm an only job, but every time I've run into third born, I'm like, oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you got it. Yeah you gotta fight, yeah yep. Uh. So we cut to a funny commercial break, and when we come back we are gathered around a fire pit. That is, it is now dark outside. We're at the hut. How's everyone wearing different clothes? Like Jesse's white pleated pants are back. Everyone's wearing like a different You can bring luggage to this deserted island. Oh that's true.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say that. Well, maybe they had it on the boat, but the boat floated away.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you're right. So see this is a little you know, continuity issue. But that's okay, that's what we do.
Speaker 2: Well, we had to dress a little bit warmer because it was cold. We'd been out in the sun all day and then when the wind comes you're like, oh it's a little chilly.
Speaker 1: Oh I bet, I bet. Yeah, it's okay. So they had to they had to dress you in something to keep the actors warm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Becky's shoulder pads were doing as much as they could to keep everyone warm.
Speaker 1: But she couldn't shelter everyone, shelter everyone. No, it was only half of us. So DJ makes a toast to Danny, Jesse, Joey and for building their beautiful new home. Steph cheers to DJ for being the best big sister on the whole island. And Michelle also makes a toast to Big Bird.
Speaker 2: Say, this family is handling being stranded on a deserted island really well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they found the soul shining and no food. Yeah, like this is great, let's make a toast. Yeah. Yeah, maybe they all have heat strokes. So they're now all delirious and happy.
Speaker 2: They're all hallucinating, right, They're gonna start eating sand pretty soon and be like it's oatmeal, right, they're yeah, they're they're well on their way to dehydration and and some severe health problems.
Speaker 1: They're gonna need medical attention really soon. Here. Yeah, So drum beats appear where you can hear them faintly in the background, and Steph shouts it's the Menahones. We're saved. Steph runs towards the noise and everyone chases after her.
Speaker 2: This is usually This is usually how things go down, where I'm like, that's a strangely weird noise.
Speaker 1: I'm going to run towards it. Right it is, It's like, what is that? Let's go explore. Danny is carrying a lit torch as Steph tells the crew how cute and friendly the Manahunies are, just as she finishes her sentence. The Menahunees jump out in a big group and scare everyone and their faces are covered in paint. Well they're no, they're tattooed.
Speaker 2: They are traditionally uh tattooed like Polynesi excuse me, not Polynesian, uh Pacific islander face tattoos.
Speaker 1: Oh I thought they were. I thought it was painted like tattoos on the face.
Speaker 2: But I mean it might be, but it could But that's a real Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay that is yeah, the more you know, great, there you go. So Jesse tells them to take the man responsible, Danny. The Menahunies lead them to the drum beats. Danny asks them where they are and they say Pooa. They arrived at Pooa, but on the other side of the island. Ah, that was Danny's mistake. Okay. One of the Manhonies figures out it was their boat on the shore and tells Danny they like to tease the tourists before putting them on stage, and everyone sarcastically laughs.
Speaker 2: Stage make them think that they're dying on a stranded island. You're like, ha ha, then we're gonna bring you on stage.
Speaker 1: What jokes on you. Joke's on you. You're not dead, You're on stage. Like what and why did the Manahooneys think that the Tanners would be good candidates to go on stage?
Speaker 2: Like this family is nice and gotten to do everything in Hawaii on the first day, they've better.
Speaker 1: One day one day. Yeah, Danny pass so much.
Speaker 2: In where they've ridden marine life, they have taken a boat, they have jumped off the cliff.
Speaker 3: Yes, they've golfed, They've built a huh, they've built a hut, they have done.
Speaker 1: Things. They're getting their money's worth out of this vacation, they tell.
Speaker 2: You, yeah, yeah, yeah. So I'm also I don't entirely believe that Danny didn't like this wasn't like a thing where he was like, I'm gonna pay for the extra island stranded feature, you know what I mean? And like maybe that's what it is. Is like you get charged an extra amount and they're like, well, come steal your boat and make you think you're on Gilligan's Island, and then then you get on stage and like they hate Danny actually paid extra for this experience.
Speaker 1: That I would respect. It's a game that movie, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But it's like that but where you think you're gonna die but you're not, and then everyone jumps out at the end and goes right, that's what it is.
Speaker 1: That's what really happened. This was all part of plan. It's all part of Danny's plan game.
Speaker 2: And he even knew that Jesse was gonna throw the clipboard fines and he's like, yeah, yeah, it was all it was planned. He knew it, he knew this was happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, because Danny is much more responsible than this. He would not not let a boat just float away, you know this call. No, you're right.
Speaker 2: He would not be this calm unless he was like any minute now, they should be drums. He paid he definitely extra extra for the Gilligan's Island experience.
Speaker 1: I'd love it. I love it so much.
Speaker 2: And it comes with the free skipper hat, so that's you get that as a as a bonus and uh and all the and all the drama you.
Speaker 1: Could desire sleeping toddlers like you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and you get to keep the life jackets too, so because they're great travel pillows.
Speaker 1: A way, I want I want to go back. I want to go back and take this tour. This is fantastic. So the Tanners have made it to the Polynesian Show. Have they ever on the stage? They have a r rescued from the jungle?
Speaker 2: What I literally, I just I was just writing down what is happening.
Speaker 1: There's so much happening.
Speaker 2: These random people are now in your show.
Speaker 1: It and then it like and then John turns around, Jawn's back in the white linen pants and like those aren't bad enough. He turns around and shakes his butt.
Speaker 2: I'll do so when he says, Melka, that's that's Merry Christmas.
Speaker 1: Wait who says that? John says the warrior says it like he does. But you know that's because our writers were like just throwing a Hawaiian phrase.
Speaker 2: We don't know, you know, maybe I'm gonna say that was that was them being like these these idiots and they and right, and they were like these and they did it, and then that was made so scary and he's like, I said, Marry Christmas. But you know, I'm gonna go, that's hysterical.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, that feels they're just they're just they're yanking our chain. We're just like these stupid white people. Let's just say it'll make it the show.
Speaker 2: They still made it, bring them on stage and yelled Merry Christmas at him.
Speaker 1: So great. So Joey is dancing right next to his hula girl. She is she's real now she is real?
Speaker 2: Why what was happening the whole time that Joey has been imagining someone?
Speaker 1: But then she turns out to be real, Like, she's absolutely real. It's hysterical. So he manifested her, That's what he did. He's just so desperate for a beautiful woman to love him back that he manifested.
Speaker 2: Maybe that was also part of the extra package. Was you get a destinating that was that you get you get done knowing it? Yeah, yeah, they just they give you Yeah she tabs of acid and.
Speaker 1: You don't even know it now.
Speaker 2: But maybe like that was they paid for extra for the the romantic mirage experience and so and so it was just every time they would be like, does someone in your party need a need a romantic partner?
Speaker 1: Do you want to make them think that they're seeing things that?
Speaker 2: Every every so often on your journey, a random dancer, either male or female, will pop up somewhere and then disappear, just like what you know what I mean for an extra five hundred bucks. You too can think that you're imagining people like people are gonna.
Speaker 1: Be going to Hawaiian asking for this tour. They're like, I want the full house tour.
Speaker 2: Boat, the strand in the house, out of your mind tour. I want to cramp so much Hawaii into the first seventeen hours that I'm there that I just have to leave.
Speaker 1: It's just, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, so Joey's now dancing next to next to the imaginary non imaginary dancer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's dancing next to her. Everybody's shaking their hips and Becky goes up and whispers something to the band. She goes back to Jesse and tells him to rock a hula his heart out. She pushes him on stage and towards the microphone. Oh gee, yeah, like twist his arm to go up to a microphone and sing for an audience of screaming fans.
Speaker 2: Also again like the Tanners are the people you don't want to meet on vacation.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine?
Speaker 2: You're like, are these things the same idiots that got out in front of the hotel and we're yelling and taking him all at space and now they're here on stage and they've given them microphones.
Speaker 1: Why these poor know, these poor audience members have paid a lot of money for this Polynesian show just.
Speaker 2: To have and now we've got to watch these white people saying Elvis. You know it's like and also just that Becky is like, you know what I'm gonna do? You know what would be really appropriate in this situation is to go change the entire show then to make it about him.
Speaker 1: It's so self centered. Not Becky, but just in general. The Tanners are like, how do we make it about us? Yes, we don't care about coultry. Is so know this family is learn about Hawaii. We want to insert ourselves into Hawaii. I mean it's in that sort of I mean, that's that says.
Speaker 2: A lot, but yeah, you know that's basically yeah, that's a that's a statement, uh, for just tourism in general.
Speaker 1: But it's it's so ridiculous. The last fight, and here's the best part. I want to know what the hell happened the rest of the week they're there.
Speaker 2: I've only seen the first day, You're right, what was the rest of the vacation?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Did they have fun, what happened? Why didn't What more could they have possibly done? They did everything the first day.
Speaker 1: They should have made that. I can't believe this was only one twenty two minute episode. It should have been a two parter, Like they paid all that money to send us to Hawaii. At least get a two parter out of it.
Speaker 2: People, right, Well, but can you imagine if it took ten days to shoot a twenty two minute episode?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. We would have been a first.
Speaker 2: We'd take a lot longer to shoot a two parter. And I don't think uh, I don't think we had enough dramamine for that.
Speaker 1: No, there's gotta be a child labor law against Yeah, keeping kids on an island for an extended period of time.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's they just we end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jesse sings RockA hula, Michelle's singing. They throw up the hang loose sign and the crowd wars, and that's our show. It was. Do you remember this, like, do you remember were you embarrassed to be on stage? Or were you loving it? Oh? God, did you see me dancing? I was thrilled. I was having the best time.
Speaker 2: I was like doing a whole little like learning how to actually like hula and like move your hips and use your feet and all the day. Yeah, yeah, I was. I was thrilled. I had a great time. I love nothing more than music and dancing and performing. Looking back on it now, I'm just like, what are you people doing?
Speaker 1: It's so funny. It's so funny in the moment, though, I'm sure it's exhilarating moment I was having a stage, there's music people, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: In the moment, I loved it, and it is. It's a very fun, very eighties location episode where all of the things happen. And I'm pretty sure this was like a conglomeration of like seven different shows, each having done a trip to Hawaii, and then we just pulled like little bits and pieces probably from all of those stories and just here's our Hawaii episode.
Speaker 1: And we covered all the bases. It was a lot to cover. It was a lot to cover in twenty two minutes.
Speaker 2: So much happening with zero connective tissue, zero connective tissue.
Speaker 1: No, there's no character arcs happening here.
Speaker 2: No, this show was in service of really random things. Yeah, just random, but yeah, as much Hawaii uh uh. Sort of stereotypical experience as you could shove into twenty two minutes.
Speaker 1: It's so funny. Jeff who wrote this, Jeff wrote this, Yeah, I would I would love to interview him again and ask him all about well he's look, I was on so many pain meds.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what happened that And maybe that's what it mm you got okay, maybe.
Speaker 1: That's where Joey's hallucination comes from. Is Jeff was on percoset and like, well, you're right, Joey's arc.
Speaker 2: Now I'm seeing it. Are you seeing it right? And just and mentioned the it just the I'm not even gonna I can't you're speechless, speech speechless because I'm like, do I even want to approach the like cultural appropriation and like terrible just manner in which we addressed so much of a.
Speaker 1: You know, Pacific islander, Hawaiian culture, and.
Speaker 2: That was that was definitely that one of those moments where I was like, oh, yeah, yeah, no, yeah, that's the critic to.
Speaker 1: Do it now, yep, yep no. But but nineteen eighty nine, nineteen eighty nine, this was a very popular episode.
Speaker 2: This was screamed about manhones and it was acceptable.
Speaker 1: The whole thing is so cringe, but I love it. Like it's such a sitcom. It's just absurditulous. It's just it is.
Speaker 2: There's so much happenings all over the place.
Speaker 1: I don't even Yeah, it was, It's just a lot, a lot, And it just felt like it felt like such a different episode. When you remove us from the stage, it feels like almost a completely different show.
Speaker 2: Like what I mean, like it was there was no connective to It didn't feel like a show.
Speaker 1: It was just a series of us doing some things. It was a fever dream, That's what it was.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was an absolute fever dream. But we did get to see a lot of Hawaii. Oh did we much more than we saw of Japan when we were in Japan on Fuller. I feel like, very true, very true. So way to use the space and the uh and the the area, you know. But that was I just remember it being a really fun episode. It was one of the first times that we all got to travel together as group, and I loved it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had so much fun as kids. We went to the the Dole Pineapple factory and saw like them making the putting the pineapples, you know, slicing them and putting them into the cans. Did we go to the US cess ari zone and I went.
Speaker 2: To the Dole Factory, but I think my dad went with you and your family.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so it was we had something like that. We had a sweeten just not you. Yeah, yeah, yeah, but we went to the USS Arizona. Is that what it is? Yes? Yeah, the pharl Harbor bombing. Yeah, so that was very somber. That was I remember.
Speaker 2: That was one of the I remember having such an emotional reaction that I wanted I had to leave. I don't know if you I do remember that, sobbing and crying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was really like it was. I it was.
Speaker 2: I just felt it in my body like it was a very uh, uncomfortable feeling place. And I just have always been sort of impacted by certain spaces and things, and it was a lot to take in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, glad we went, but I'm glad too, and I do. Yeah. No, I I appreciate that we went and learned about it and at such a young age. Yeah, it was still it was very impactful, even at the age of thirteen and seven. Yeah, it was a great place to go. I'm assuming Adria was with us. Too. Yes, education she set up our our thing, yea our field drip. But yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was a this was a it was a it was a full full house does Hawaii?
Speaker 1: Full house does Hawaii. Yes, the island is full, the we're out of the house.
Speaker 2: The island is small, but boys, it full.
Speaker 1: You know. Yeah, it was. It was great. It was it's a classic episode that it really is a classic episode. And what an opener for season three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, way to kick it off, you know, like both it both had me going ooh and like ah, you know, there was a roller coaster of emotions of good and bad things, but it was it was fun. I'm so glad that we got to that, we started off season three with this one, to.
Speaker 1: Start starting off with a bang, and it can only go up from here.
Speaker 2: So in well, don't say that, don't.
Speaker 1: We'll see that, We'll see. I have no idea what happens in season.
Speaker 2: You never know what's going to happen in Caesar, Caesar. You never know what's gonna happen in Caesar or season egree. But I'm I'm so glad that we got to, you know, kick this off right. Yeah, and everybody' you are enjoying listening to the podcast, make sure you're also following us on Instagram at Howard podcast. Uh, and make sure that you can also send us an email about your thoughts on the Hawaii episodes, questions, you know whatever, random things, leave comments on the page, all that kind of fun stuff. But you can email us at Howard podcast at gmail dot com. And make sure that you're liking and subscribing to the podcast on whatever platform you're listening to it so that you can make sure and get all of the newest episodes as soon as they are released. And uh, thank you guys for joining us. We love you fan Rito's and we will see you next time. So remember the island is small, but the hula dancers are imaginary.
Speaker 1: That's our new tagline. Yep, that's it. You'll never remember it again. Well, oh no, the well that the Metahunies are small but the the hula dancers are imaginary.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I was going for let's go with that one. Hello ha fanaritos mm hmm