Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. Catch us live weekdays at seven am Eastern on Apple CarPlay or Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Kevin Gordon, who's been on board this bullmarket, joins US now. Had a macro research strategy at Schwab Center for Financial Research. They have Isabelle, they have in their offices actual like vinyl. Really he cues up the led Zeppelin.
Speaker 3: You have to have a field.
Speaker 2: Treon Saunders, I love buried down here. If you're talking to Michael Dharta yesterday you say the most important data point is six and a half percent nominal GDP discuss this boom economy.
Speaker 4: I think it is the most important because it's very much at the center of the discussion around what's going on in the treasury market this week, and when you think about the underlying fundamentals of the economy, you know, six and a half percent you over your growth and nominal GDP is you know, I think a very sort of very indicative, of course of what we're seeing in terms of the AI boom. But I think also in the context of inflation as well. You know, you can't really get inflation down to two percent unless you see sort of the greatest productivity boom. Ever, so it's not a bad thing. I don't mean that in a bad way, but I think that to the content, you know, to the point of this sort of booming economy and the resilience that we see in the US, we have sort of entered this new normal where it's now more normal to see nominal growth of that kind versus what we saw pre pandemic, which was much slower than six and a half percent.
Speaker 5: I want to talk about the bond market because Tom and I earlier Indushow, we said that is the big story of this week. What did the market learn from the bond moves and the best input, so to speak, and it's rapid reversal. Is it that skeptical about this move? I mean many people have called it the band just a band aid, really.
Speaker 4: But no, I mean I think that's probably the right way to think about it. You know, the sort of duct tape on a leaky pipe situation where they can only you know, that can only last for so long, and in terms of stemming some of the you know, some of the drippage there. But I think that the whole discussion around you know, higher deficits and the fact that you know, no one's really doing anything about it on either side of the aisle. That's been a theme, you know, and a feature of the US for so long. But that in combination with this structurally higher growth backdrop that we've been in, plus the fact that you have STICKI your inflation, all of these elements fuse together and you get a higher for longer interest rate world and it's very, very hard to pull down yields in that environment, especially of course at the long end. You also introduce, I think another interesting dynamic, which I mean to be a fly on the wall right now for for any of the FED meetings and discussions, it would be so fascinating because you do have a little bit of this you know, visious circle dynamic at play. We're on the one hand, someone is sort of actively trying to you know, pull down yields or do what they can to stem the rise. But on the other hand, you did have FED Chack Kevin Warsh sort of take some comfort in the fact that the long end had risen and it was sort of quote doing the Fed's job for it, so that dynamic. I think it'll be interesting to see if he addresses it at all in Jackson Hole. But I think in over the medium term, to see how those kind of combat each other, that'll be interesting to me.
Speaker 5: I would love to go to Jackson Hole and where jackson Hole's outfit. I love having you because then you can talk all asset process. Why did in stocks respond more to Washington signaling that it wants easier financial conditions?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I think, you know, in terms as powerful as signaling might be, and we've learned that, you know, over the past couple of days, it isn't as powerful because of the reversal that we saw in yields. You know, we've been in this environment and we're we're we don't have too much high conviction these days because it's really hard to do so. But what where we do have higher conviction is the fact that or the feeling that we have sort of exited definitively this Great Moderation era where you had this harmonious relationship between the stock market and the bond market, where when yields were going up, they were responding to positive growth impulses, stocks were also rising posts pandemic for most of that time. Most of this cycle, that relationship has slipped into negative territory. So that means that alose equl, which is of course never the case. But when yields are rising, that's putting downward pressure in equities and then vice versa. And you've seen that play out this week almost it's happening again today. You know, if fields are upstocks are down, vice versa. So that's not to say that if fields continue to go higher a year from now that the market will be the stock market will be lower. That's certainly not the case. If anything, when you get these more aggressive moves in the yields, that's when you sort of have that reset period for stocks across America.
Speaker 2: And is Friday, Kevin Gordon, with his years with Charles Schwab Yeoman's.
Speaker 6: Duty reappearing today. He's taking this Sikorski reappearing twelve noon bloomberd Really I got it, folks, I got ducky bumps over. It's sleepy August. No, it's not.
Speaker 2: Rebecca Patterson into Kevin Gordon.
Speaker 3: Big Names, Kenny joining books on.
Speaker 2: Paris, because everyone's there except me in Scarlett. For me, yeah, we're not in Paris. We should be in Paris. We should be in Passions Levin, I want to remind ourselves in Emily Rowling. Coming on, folks, it's a Friday. We're going to brief you on the madness at hand.
Speaker 7: Can we recall the broad come has free cash flow growth coming out of the COVID sixteen seventeen, nineteen, twenty six, thirty two and an anticipated fifty billion.
Speaker 2: Dollars of free canculo. The heart of the matter is we forget these are profitable juggernauts we're whining about. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 4: The profitability aspect I think is huge and it is one of the biggest things we point to, you know, especially when we get questions, because we still get a lot of client questions around this. I think rightly so is this a repeat of what we saw in the nineties? And I know this has sort of been you know, beaten a lot, but I think it's important because when you do look at the factor in the equity market that was most correlated with strong performance in late nineties into the peak, it was negative earnings. That is not the case today. So I think that's a really important differential. Not to say that you can't have disruptions and you can't go through these you know, sort of momentum implosions like we did recently, but that I think for the broader structure of the equity market is much more important, especially in a context of an S and P five hundred that has more than seventy percent of its members above their two hundre day moving.
Speaker 2: You get on a Schwab golf stream, you go down to Louisville, You're in some hotel room with four hundred major shrub hitters in the fifteenth row. Someone raises their hand and goes, what do we do with cash? It vibrates across America right now, Yes, what to do with cash?
Speaker 4: Well, full disclosure, there's no golf stream in my life very much. In the commercial worlds, I want to say those.
Speaker 3: You know, the cash question we get so much.
Speaker 4: I think more in the context and I know you've covered this recently in conversations with Bizan, but the cash question we get is sort of what is the potential for that firepower for the market. And I mean, we've looked at this so many ways, but when you do look at it relative to market cap, the total cash position today is quite small relative to history in terms of allocating that cash and where to put it. I mean, we can't answer that question in a broad sense because we have tens of millions of clients. But if you're thinking about, you know, the sort of how the market has looked this year, and the fact that it is not just the megacap ai trade that is that is outperforming. There are other parts of the market that are participating, some of which had been sort of a sleep for years. I point to small caps as an example, not to say that you should just back up the truck and load everything into small caps, but that is an example I think of how you don't necessarily need to be so singular focused in terms of, oh, it's only the megacaps that really isn't the case hasn't been the case for a couple of years actually, in terms of out performance. There have been other parts of the market that are performed well.
Speaker 3: I want to go to the economy.
Speaker 5: You argue that the July jobs and retail sales numbers are false positives. What's one data point you're watching that you saying may prove you wrong.
Speaker 4: Well, I do think that if you well, I think that for labor, I'll start with that there's not a whole lot I think that is pointing to and is supporting this kind of outright weakness that you saw in July. And I do think that in an environment where we have constrained immigration flow and an aging workforce, it makes the labor dynamics a little bit harder to see and harder to read in a standard you know, non farm payrolls report, meaning you know, last year, last fall into the winter, when you did go through that significant slowdown in payroll growth, when everybody was sort of starting to raise those yellow flags around recession risk because that's typically what you see going into recession. If you were looking at the layoff data, that's actually what was the more important signal. So to me, Java's claims have been the best labor indicator in this post pandemic cycle, because even though we've gone through this low hiring cycle, hiring rate plunged, came down to you know, more than a decade low. You didn't have the response that you would tip we see on the layoff side. So to me, that's why the labor stuff at least from a non farm payroll sense has been a little bit of that false positive because if you do strip out you know what happened with local government, if you strip out what happened with the World Cup kind of hangover effect, you were still not positive on payrolls in July. It wasn't great. We also probably have a lower break even rate at this point.
Speaker 2: Fishures up twenty four right now, down fishers up two hundred nanasec lifts six cents of a percent of vis up to sixteen, comes back down mid range for the week fifteen zero point sixty seven the best and yield. I'm starting to call it that five point two five percent fractally elevated. Still some real stressor in a thirty year on five point twenty five percent. We're gonna rip up script right now. We do that with Isabelle Lem's studio with Kevin Gordon. In Denmark, a gallon in US dollars of diesel and Copenhagen approaches ten dollars, a galau in Berlin at eight dollars, Madrid eight dollars. In the Philippines, ninety eight percent of their petroleums imported there, and they're poppin' nothing like ten dollars a gallon US dollars.
Speaker 5: And the minimum wage back home is ten dollars a day.
Speaker 8: Okay, that's why I.
Speaker 2: Ask, perfectly said, But Kevin, talk about the Brent crew to the gallon, I guess here ninety four dollars seven cents on Brent to the third world to the parcific rim. The distillate effect here is just immense.
Speaker 4: I know, I think when you're talking about the Philippines Asbille and I talk about sort of our home countries a lot, I think about Korea being having that import bias too. I mean, is it is amazing. I think the sort of the disconnect in terms of what we feel here in the West, especially being in a country where you know, we're a lot more insulated in terms of oil production versus having that depended. So it the longer this conflict persists, you do raise that question again of the difference between price increases being your biggest problem, which is clearly the case in a country like the US versus actual oil uh and and energy sort of physical you know, shortages. That's that's the difference that you're sort of dealing with. But even in the US. You know, you sort of have to put a chart out on Twitter yesterday where you know, the rolling correlation between yields and oil prices has approached almost an all time high. And the longer that you see gasoline prices sort of rise and stay higher, that acts as ultimately the consumer will start to treat that as a pet.
Speaker 2: I mean, I get the price five dollars cents of Manila outside of Makati. They don't sell diesel in Maccati, and is so Korea is five dollars thirty cents? Is well, I mean those are low numbers, but as you say, Isabelle, these are nations with a complete reset. And what the wages the wages you said, ten dollars a day.
Speaker 5: It's really honestly very hard. In the Philippines, they've imposed a lot of work from home because people just can't afford to go to work.
Speaker 2: They literally can't afford the guests to go to work.
Speaker 5: U slash Internet there is so slow it'll take you a whole day.
Speaker 2: The highway there's called the edsa am I right days right.
Speaker 4: Plus they do they do more rolling blackouts there too, so there's a lot more energy disruption.
Speaker 3: Well, if you should come with me. I'm going in up to Let's go. Let's go Tom, but Tom all the travels first class. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: We could remote from the peninsula, right, you know, we could do a thing for the beautiful hotel right by the Ile triangle. Is that what it's called? Very good?
Speaker 3: Yes, you definitely did.
Speaker 2: Bring Schwab along with us as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, conduct the fields.
Speaker 2: So I think this is really really important and that and that there's there's more going on here than just what a gallon of gases the wall still, it's the refineries. It's a huge impact.
Speaker 4: It is a huge impact.
Speaker 2: I think that.
Speaker 4: And and you know clearly the big wild cart and all this has been China over the past several months. I mean the import activity and sort of the collapse that you've seen and the plunge and import activities. So all it really takes is, you know, China sort of flip that back on and to see what they do with that. I think will be crucial in terms of the oil market for the rest of the year because that does have a potential to sort of be this really big swing factor when it comes to prices.
Speaker 2: Again, thank you so much for coming in. Thanks listening son is Kevin Gordon with stay with Us more from Bloomberg Surveillance coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast. Catch US Live weekday afternoons from seven to ten am Eastern Listen on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch US Live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Joining US now from Boston, Emily Rowland with John Hancock and Manual Life. Greatly appreciate her here and she has been on board as a bull for quite quite some time. The market agrees with you. On a lazy Friday morning in August, Emily, what is the distinctive, distinctive argument to stand vested given the stresses of the week.
Speaker 9: Well, there's certainly a lot that's been said about earnings when we know how explosive this earning season was. But I think the other thing that's not being talked about as much is the currency market. So everybody's looking at the treasury market as a catalyst for what could cause downside volatility in stocks. But our argument would be as long as a US dollars weaker, which was significantly weaker, you know, since this announcement earlier in the week, that is a risk on catalyst. It's hard to see a lot of downside for markets here based on these currency trends, So that's what we would be watching.
Speaker 3: So emily.
Speaker 5: Is the dollar's biggest advantage right now, it's currency reserves data service that simply maybe that US really yields are still attractive.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Isabelle, it's really this idea that the dollar is this kind of liquidity release valve. It is loosens financial conditions. It benefits international equities even more than it does US. If you're watching this week, international equities are handily outperforming the US. Even though the data haven't really been all that great overseas, it doesn't matter. They're benefiting from the weaker dollar. This is a risk on market. It's been fueled by momentum, by technicals, by algos I think underneath the surface here and so again, the weaker dollars really that critical picture piece of the macro picture that we think bears watching.
Speaker 5: Going quickly into stocks because I did like your note you said the bond market is the most hated, but that everyone loves the stock market.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 5: So Magnificent seven, they're down, equal weight stocks are up, so that I think up nearly ten percent. In fact, is this a healthy rotation in your view or just the beginning of the end for megacap dominance.
Speaker 9: This is one of the best signs or best periods of diversification that we've ever seen. Like everybody comes on and they say it's all about diversification, like it's working.
Speaker 8: This great rotation.
Speaker 9: Is probably one of the biggest themes that we've been watching throughout the course of twenty twenty six. And what we've been doing is we've still been overweight tech. Tom knows that we've been overweight technology stock for over ten years. But we've looked at where the cash flows are going. There's an old phrase that earnings or opinion and cash flows are fact, and so what we've been doing is we've been looking at where the big hyperscalers are spending.
Speaker 8: We've been going downstream.
Speaker 9: We've been looking at things like industrials, utilities, really the you know again the picks and shovels around the AI build out, and looking for places where frankly, the earnings bar is easier. Industrials had an earnings bar up the high single digits. We want to look for places where that bar is more reasonable and where we can see the money flowing.
Speaker 2: Emily, you have an advantage. It's an unfair advantage, but we're going to take advantage of it. At right now you get to work with a guy named Matt Michigan. And I mean the bottom line here is from the equity view and all of our listeners and viewers with retirement plans, they're inequity. They own too much in Vidia. Unlike me et ceter. The answer is an equity animal has to study the bond market. When Emily Roland does that with Matt Miskin, what do you talk about.
Speaker 9: Well, we just got off the phone for an hour this morning, so we talk about everything that you can think of.
Speaker 8: And you're right, Matt is the absolute best.
Speaker 9: But really it's this idea lately that we've been talking about is sentiment. So everybody's looking to figure out what is it that's causing bon yields to go up. The argument is about inflation. Well that doesn't make a ton of sense to us. Tips break even started the year at two twenty five and we're the same at two twenty seven right now.
Speaker 8: It's not an upside surprise on growth.
Speaker 9: In fact, the US Economic Surprise Index has rolled over. We lost twenty three thousand jobs last month. We had soft PPI and CPI, we had softer retail sales. Then everybody starts talking about the deficit. Well why now, the last time we had a surplus was in two thousand and two and bond yields were guess what, five percent?
Speaker 8: So it comes down to sentiment.
Speaker 9: Everybody hates bonds, everybody loves stocks. When we find ourselves in this environment and there's a hated asset class, that's where our conversation goes. And I'll tell you from our experience, everybody hates spawns right before they love them again.
Speaker 2: I mean, folks, you do this every day. We do it for Isabelle, who's too busy working on fancy stuff over at Bloomberg News. The SPX drawdown now it's cratered. It's down two point two three percent. Wow. I mean it's absolute massive pullback there twelve months trailing Dow up eighteen percent, SPX up twenty percent, all in Nasca cup twenty three and a half percent. Isabelle, it's a terrible market.
Speaker 3: It's in terrible market. And you're forgetting bitcoin, Tom, I know you omitted bitcoin.
Speaker 5: It's that best week on track for the best week in three years.
Speaker 3: So risk appetite is.
Speaker 2: I have no idea what that's signals. See Isabelle Lee with Emily Rowland of Manulife and.
Speaker 5: John Ancott Emily So if you'ld say above five percent, where does the pressure move next?
Speaker 3: In your view?
Speaker 5: Is there an investment playbook in this policy regime?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean it's amazing that some of the stats you laid out, and it's like people just cannot get enough risk in their portfolio. So like they started with small caps and emerging market equities and like now we're onto bitcoin. So I think, you know, taking some chips off the table here. You want to stay fully invested, you've got to own some of this stuff. But one area that's really been picking up on our radar has been a healthcare sector. It's showing some signs of life. Another area that has a lower earnings bar. The biggest job we have as asset allocators right now is like finding something that's not AI.
Speaker 8: And I'm not saying that AI is not going to help with tech companies becoming.
Speaker 9: More profitable or more efficient and more productive, but it's not necessarily an AI trade. It's quality at a reasonable price. So those are some of the areas that we're looking at right now as opportunities. Thinking about the fixed income side, we still have a mild credit bias five to six percent on a high quality bond. I know nobody wants to talk about it because everybody just wants to own stocks right now.
Speaker 8: But that sounds pretty good to us right now.
Speaker 2: Emily, I don't care. The reason you're on is I got Giants Red Sox. I mean, it's worth going up. It's worth taking the taking the Sikorski up the long range, up to Boston. I don't know if Rafaeld Devers is going to step up to home play, but Emily Rowland, San Francisco Giants Red Sox, it's a weekend for the Red Sox to catch up to the Yankees.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know what, Tom, I I you should have had Matt on for this segment because I forgot to study the latest Red Sox stats.
Speaker 8: I know you're going to be disappointed. All I know. It's been a roller coaster, it's.
Speaker 9: Been volatile, and so we'll have to see, you know, how the season continues here over the weekend.
Speaker 2: Finess. That so well, that was like it was written by Johnny Google. It was, it was written by Johnny Hancock. Complux. That's a great answer, rough Rafaeld Devers return to Fenway is part of a carefully balanced partly Emily Rowland, Thank you so much. Next time we'll talk to about Emily roll in Inequities Coach, Chief Investment Strategists, Manual Life, Johnny Hancock stay with us. More from Bloomberg Surveillance coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from seven to ten am Eastern. Listen on Apple Karplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: It is extraordinary. B and Why the Bank of New York Melon, B and Y. They have Alisia Levigne and Jeffrey You. Without question the math acuity there is absolutely lights out. Jeffery you joins us right now from B and Y. Jeffrey you and your research. Note, you got a beautiful short thing, which is foreigners have significant exposure to our long paper and you just simply say who owns the long end? How much of our long end is owned by Japan.
Speaker 10: So let's just say a important share in terms of a pack of the international investors, we strip out the custodians. You know, Apak are good, say one eighth to one seventh them out of that, and I think Japan is dominant in terms of all of it. But you know you will see their data or not see their data in terms of custodian centers elsewhere in Europe as well. When you see high numbers out of Belgium and the UK, a lot of that is going through GP Japanese and Asian.
Speaker 2: Stephen from Roland, North Carolina sends a question and unfortunately Isabelle, it's such a damn smart question, I have to ask it. Steven, thank you for this, and folks, this is all part of Bloomberg dot com slash Ask radio questions into Jeffrey you. You can't do better than that. You need to be a subscriber to Bloomberg dot com. You need to be a terminal user on board with JEFFREYU. Stephen from Raleigh, North Carolina. What if we break out JEFFREYU above a five point two five percent, what if we slip price down yield up to a six percent thirty year.
Speaker 10: Bond, Well, you tell me where the break even is going to be, and then we can tell you who's going to be buying and who's not going to be selling. If we get to okay, five six, you know, pick a number. If the break even it still stays at two two and a half, happy days for domestic pension investors. It's not just the US story. You're seeing that in Europe. You're seeing that in the UK in particular. Let's get the real yield right, because the higher that is, the better it is, you know, given the way demographics are going in the developed world in this case. But if break evans go unanchored, if we get to a three handle, that's bad news for everyone around.
Speaker 5: Jeffrey, the dollar barely reacted to the treasuries bigger buyback announcement. Is that a warning that maybe the market that's losing faith in the US fiscal story.
Speaker 10: So you can look at it two ways. Actually heading into not just this announcement, but also the July AFFIRMC decision, US exceptionalism, dollar exceptionalism that was at near record highs, and our clients were very much heading into that, you know, owning US assets unheedged. We are seeing over the last two or three weeks, so that they've added to their hedges.
Speaker 2: The announcement is I.
Speaker 10: Think, going to facilitate that process as well. So again it's not just about a dollar per se story. So they still believe in the US growth story. We talk about credibility here and there, the US's growth credibility. And thankfully, right now, if you look at all the capex I'm heading into tech that is independent of whatever the government is doing.
Speaker 5: And so if the FED loses credibility and real yields fall, for example, this a dollars Haven status suddenly become much less powerful in your view.
Speaker 10: So Haven's status is very different from a levels The thing is, there is just an alternative right now. Where else do you go our Europe, for example, your real yields are even worse than negative compared to the dollar, and then be actually has higher real yields if I just look at the front end stuff.
Speaker 2: But when you're.
Speaker 10: Relying on deflation or very very low inflation, that a juice.
Speaker 2: Up your rebels.
Speaker 10: I don't think that's a very good environment either way.
Speaker 2: Too young, Jeff, for you to remember the joy of August of nineteen ninety eight. But the cacophony of this week, the vibration, the frontic sense of it, the analogus here with visible leverage or less visible leverage to that difficult August.
Speaker 10: So I will say, you have to identify where the leverage is, right please. So we talked about private credit a couple of months ago, right, So without taking a view on private credit, why private credits in boomy of the last few years, Because from GFC onwards bank credit that has softened. So private credit is merely just supplanting where bank credit used to be. What really you know, just as look when myconomists had on so many central banks of the last twenty years, they've removed like M three, M four monitoring aggregates, so we can't crack aggregate money supply growth as much as in the past. If we're able to do that now with all forms of shadow credit and the light I think that's where the concern is, not with banks anymore and not with where the fishes maybe, but agregro credit's still an issue.
Speaker 2: This is difficult. I understand. You get delicate issues with the Bank of New York just to be collegial about it. Do you see a total like what Rogoff and Rainer would talk about Ken Rogoff with me and Jackson all next week. Folks, Jeffrey, you do you see an aggregate leverage now that alludes to previous crises?
Speaker 10: Right, So let's just say if I had an M four number right back in the day, then let's look at But the crucial thing is you've have a high n M four for the sake of arbent that there's high nominal GDP as well, right, So it's got to be relative. If your money supply growth really supersedes where your GDP is, then it becomes a problem because you can no longer finance that leverage. What the US has in its favor right now more than anything else, especially compared to Japan, for example, is nominal GDP growth still powering ahead when that turns? And I'm saying when, right, because cycles come in place, then I think the regulators and the FED will all needs to be cautious. But we're just not seeing any signs of that yet, at least not in the near future.
Speaker 5: And then you also argue that investors shouldn't be aggressively short the dollar. What would actually make it change that view?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 10: So yeah, quite a few things right. Oddly enough, if we're more positive on the current environment right now, if it's going to be global risk on, then you can think about shorting the dollar. The dollar becomes a funding currency. You go into emerging markets, you go into apac but that is a benign environment.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 10: We go back to a dollar smile of the illustrous Stephen gen from back in the day, right with when you have this middle ground, when it's a risk on environment, that's when the dollar serves as a funder. But the issue is in the dollar's yields are still quite high right now. It's expensive to fund out the dollar. Why because growth is still strong. Real rate to still high.
Speaker 2: I mean, folks, what you just heard there from Jeffery You he just slips it in like something, but he's talking back from another time. And Stephen Jenno was definitive at Morgan Stanley and just beautiful Jeffery. You translate that from your mortals When you say a smile, are you happy?
Speaker 10: You must always be happy with the dollar. But one side of the smile is happier than the other. Put it this way, right.
Speaker 2: What what is the smile that's jarging young man.
Speaker 10: So when when so when volatility? If you look at when you look at tole implied volatility, for example, that's the shape of the smile, it goes up and the dollar does strengthen. Based on these metrics, you know, when the US is growing strongly, it also strengthens when the world is in a bad place and the dollars reserve status comes through the rising dollar. A rising US tide lifts all boats. I still believe in that. That's why I like that side of the right hand side of the smile, because US demand as consumers, US corporates, that lifts the world. Everyone's happy.
Speaker 2: Jeff, you got a minute left? Mike from Milwaukee emails in he says, how come Isabelle doesn't know about perhaps blue ribbon beer. Also Mike from Milwaukee, Jeff, you seriously for Bloomberg dot Com slash ask radio for subscribers in terminal users, Mike wants to know what happens if the FED becomes unanchored.
Speaker 10: So the FED becomes unanchored, then that is a volatility our. I'm not going to take a view on levels yet because let's go back to the treasury curve. If markets are concerned and you get inequity sell off. For example, there could be rotation back into bonds again. But if we have an unanchoring where financial conditions are too loose, then you want to own infacian protection. So we're in the middle ground here. Let's see where the US economy goes.
Speaker 2: Jeff, you're just brilliant. Love that you bring. You bring up Stephen Jeneral I interviewed years ago and still does very very good. Reminders me of John Norman at JP Morgan as well. These guys like disappear, but Ethan Harris is working harder now than he Wasn't Lehman or was it the Bank of America. They like quote unquote retire, but they don't. Jeff for you, Thank you so much. Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Surveillance coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast live weekday afternoons from seven to ten am Eastern Listen on Applecarplay and Android Otto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: We called Anne Maletti's hotel. I think it's the Waldorf. I can't remember it begged her to come over. We are honored to have Anne Maletti here of Allspring definitive as a voice of the Midwest in Milwaukee on equity investments. The resurrection of the Paps Brewery in Milwaukee is one of the great redos in America. Describe it was like derelict, right, it was like, you know, back to the nineteenth century and it was abandoned, right it.
Speaker 11: Was, and pieces of the historical building still stood, and they kind of built around it. And it's a really fun place to come and see.
Speaker 2: The best place at the historic Paps Brewery, Like you go there for brunch, Isn't that kind of place?
Speaker 8: I wish I had time to enjoy it more.
Speaker 2: But happy hours are great and you could still get a Paps Blue Ribbon beer. It's made in San Antonio, which is on America. Oh yeah, but still there. It is. W'ch a couple movies, you know, there's movies on paths Blue Ribbon. How are you doing? How I mean? The rotation is finally an an Meletti rotation, right, it is.
Speaker 11: It's finally the market's finally paying attention to more than just two handfuls of stocks, which is which is good, and it's a much easier market for active managers who are focused on diversifying risk as well as producing that alpha.
Speaker 3: So we like this market.
Speaker 11: It remains tough though it is you know, a lot of volatility, a lot of big moves on a daily basis, and so it takes a lot of focus.
Speaker 5: You like mid cap industrial. So what does the market misunderstand about that trade?
Speaker 3: I think you know.
Speaker 11: To me, it sits at the intersection of two really important trends. Certainly they're benefiting from the AI infrastructure build but also kind of that ongoing reach or global supply chain realignment. And so in the mid cap space, a lot of those companies have a lot more flexibility. They're less tied to having revenues outside of the US, and so the growth rates are accelerating.
Speaker 3: What about emergency markets?
Speaker 5: They're dramatically under owned and earnings are growing something like thirty five percent. Why isn't the money already there? And what would I don't know, trigger some billion dollar allocation.
Speaker 11: Well, it's funny because we started talking about EM two. I started talking about EM two years ago, and I profess not to be an absolute expert in the space. I spent most of my career in.
Speaker 8: The domestic space.
Speaker 11: However, what stood out to us two years ago was, gosh, it looks like there's an earnings acceleration a lot of the EM countries. Actually we're in really strong fundamental shape, and we understood that the AI build would also kind of lead into EM, so.
Speaker 3: We got involved early.
Speaker 11: What we're seeing though, is in twenty six is earning's growth higher than what we're seeing the S and P. Five hundred and we talk about how crazy it is the growth rates we're seeing here. So good acceleration of growth, but is ability to answer your question, it takes time for investors to come along when they've seen EM underperform for ten fifteen years prior to this.
Speaker 2: Where are we on free cash flow? Do you have in the old days, Isabelle? We do a sensitivity analysis on five years, and we'd say we believe in twenty thirty one now we can't get out to December. How far out can you look? Is a measured conservative log only by side manager?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean it's such a great question, Tom, and I think free like you hit the nail on the head. It's free cash flow is always something that's been important to me and certainly to our investment teams.
Speaker 3: And when you start to see.
Speaker 11: The breakdown of the correlation between earnings and free cash flow, it starts to get a little concerning. We've saw that obviously with many of the meg seven et cetera. But we're watching for that closely too across other industries. I do think our time horizon is still long term, and we want to buy the best companies throughout the cycle. However, you have to be a little bit more flexible in your execution and be willing to realize things are changing quickly here and we.
Speaker 3: Have to adapt.
Speaker 5: At what point, in your view, does AI spending stop creating shareholder value and start maybe destroying it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you know, it's a great question. I really do think, and you know, there's no doubt AI is real. But the and the investments bend cycle has been accelerated and faster than I believe. But it's the durability of the returns that really are important, and.
Speaker 3: It's too early to really know.
Speaker 11: I think what you know we're going to see, and maybe hope what we're going to see is profitability flow down to many other industries and companies who aren't spending that much money to get involved in the space.
Speaker 2: And thank you so much. I'm a lady with us, with all spring.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast, available on apples, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live each weekday, seven to ten am Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal