Speaker 1: What's going on. I'm Rich Demiro and this is Rich on Tech, the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I'm the tech reporter at KTLA Channel five in Los Angeles. Welcome to show number twenty three. Phone lines are now open at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. Also, email is now open. You can send it to Hello at richontech dot TV. And it turns out you really like email. You love sending me emails, So I love that you love to do that. But I gotta tell you I may not be able to respond to every single email. I get just kind of a general warning out there because I do my best, but you are really liking sending these emails, so I will read some of them at the end of the show or throughout the show. So feel free to call in at Triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one, or Hello at richontech dot TV. All Right, so today I'm coming to you from a special place Alisaul Ranch in Santa Barbara Wine Country. I'm here for a special event. And the irony of this situation is that I did not plan to do the show from here, so I was gonna be up here, and when I got here, I brought all my stuff to do the show potentially. But this is a place, this is a ranch where people go to get away from technology. There is barely a cell phone signal, barely a Wi Fi signal, no TVs in the rooms, no nothing, no internet in the room. I mean there is a little bit now, no phones in the rooms. So there was really no way to go live from here until I tested and they said, well, we do have kind of like a little bit of AT and T on property. And I said, all right, let me try this. And it turns out whatever there is, our system works with it. So I'm coming to you live from Santa Barbara Wine Country. I want to do a special shout out to our listeners on KSMA Santa Maria twelve forty AM ninety nine five FM. Turns out a couple of folks here listen to the show from up here. So very exciting. All right, this was a very very big week. This was Apple's WWDC Worldwide Developers Conference. So earlier, I was up in Coopertino, California, at Apple's campus they called Apple Park. It is incredible. It is such an amazing experience. Anytime I go to any of these tech events, it just continues to contribute to the knowledge that I have, the experience that I have, the memories that I have, the people that I know. It is all incredible. But this week was a big one for Apple because we finally finally got to see and I got to touch and try the product that so many people have been talking about for so long, Apple Vision Pro. This is a vr AR mixed reality headset. Apple called it none of that. They call it a spatial computer. This is a headset that you put on that lets you do all kinds of cool stuff. I'm gonna go more in depth about that in just a moment. But they also had some other products, a new fifteen inch MacBook Air, which I can't believe they came out with right after. Of course, I buy my fourteen inch MacBook Pro, so now I want to get the fifteen inch MacBook Air because it's lighter, it's thinner, and it's got a much bigger screen than what I just got, so someone in my family may be getting an early Christmas present. They also came out with a Mac Studio, a MacPro, and lots of updates for iOS iPadOS mac Os. The next version of that is going to be called Sonoma, Yes after the wine country in California. Watch os. They made some updates to the health app, tvOS, and AirPods is getting a feature that I've been waiting for forever. So lots of big announcements at WWDC. Perhaps the biggest is this new thing called Apple Vision Pro. Now I did get to go what do you call it? Head on with this thing. I put this on, and I will tell you I joked about this, I talked about this, But the world has forever changed. Now that this is in our world, things are going to be different. Let me tell you why this is unlike any VR headset we've ever had before. And the reason is that Apple took all of the pain points from the other VR headsets that we've had in the past, and some of them are very good, and they have gotten rid of those pain points. The biggest pain point they introduced is the price tag thirty five hundred dollars, which immediately just kind of takes this out of the running for many many people. But with that said, they did a really good job with this device. So let me tell you kind of some of the futures. So first off, you put this thing on and it's got a screen on the front, and you know, some adjustable bands and things, but when you look through it, it gives you an immediate view of the world around you. So I was sitting in this room and it just looked like I was looking at the room. But then all of a sudden, when they turned it on, it wrote, incursive across the screen, Hello, in this big three D lettering that just floated in mid air. And from that moment on, I had a huge smile on my face and I just said, Okay, this is incredible because it looks like the reality you're in, but overlaid with a virtual reality. And what does that mean. Well, some of the things we did. We opened up a whole bunch of apps on the screen and you can place them anywhere you want in your room, and it's just like what you imagine the future would be like. You can stretch those apps to look really big. You can squeeze them, make them look really small. And the way that you control this entire whatever you want to call it computer headset is with your eyes, your voice, and your hand. It's not a controller. You literally look at what you want to do. If it's a button on screen, you look at that button and then you just press your fingers together and it will select whatever that button does. If you want to flip through something, you just pinch and you swipe. It's kind of like the movies that we've seen, all of the science fiction stuff we've seen, except in reality. Inside this display, as I kind of alluded to in past weeks, two ultra high resolution displays, and it's so clear and crisp. It's like a four K display for each eye. So when you watch a movie on this thing, not only is it crystal clear, but I was watching a movie on what seemed to be a one hundred foot screen in front of me. So imagine you live in a tiny apartment in New York City, which, by the way, I guess if you live in a tiny apartment in New York City, you could probably afford to get this thing because it's so expensive. But you could you no longer need a TV. Why would you need a TV when you can just put this headset on and now have the most incredible system you've ever seen for watching movies. There's gonna be over one hundred Apple Arcade games at launch. There's this thing called immersive Environments. So I was sitting there watching something on a TV, and instead of seeing the world around me, I said, you know what, let's tune out the world around me. So you turn this little rotating knob. They call it the digital crown. You turn that and everything just sort of blacks out and you can say, oh, I want to be on a mountaintop, I want to be on the moon, I want to be on in outer space. Whatever you want to be, you can be in that place instantly. Or if you turn it the other way, you're back in your room and the stuff is kind of superimposed on the world around you in the room. There's also a three D camera on this device. You can capture photos and videos in three D. That was really odd to see this. So they captured a three D picture of a kid of two kids on you know, in their room playing and they were eating some cake and it was just so weird. It looked like almost claymation figures in front of you. And I can imagine that if you know, many many years into the future, when you know one of your relatives is looking at these pictures later on, long after you've passed, it would really be emotional. And then the video of the three D video clips were so odd because the world sort of like blends around it. So it's like almost like, ah, gosh, how do you explain it. It looks like a hologram, but it's the edges are all kind of feathered, so it just blends away. It doesn't have like a direct start or end. Really really interesting. The FaceTime call that we made, they do something called a digital persona, So you scan your face and the device makes a digital replica of what you would look like in the digital world, and they call it your person And so I was chatting with someone who was using their persona because you can't see yourself inside this thing, so it makes a digital side of you. And that was kind of weird because it's digital. It's eerie. It's odd, very very strange. Let's see apps you can run all of the apps that you can run on the iPhone, you can run these day one but of course some of these developers will come up with new apps. There's a feature called Eyesight, which is really really odd. This is a feature that when someone approaches you, they will see your eyes sort of through this device, but it's really just your eyes, a portrayal of your eyes on a screen on the outside of this headset, and then when the person comes up near you, the headset is using machine learning to notice that that's a human and it will actually help them break through the screen on the inside. So let's say you're watching a movie on a big screen and your wife comes into the room. You will see her kind of come into the screen and say, hey, what's going on, and you can interact with her. When I put my hands up in front of me, I could see my hands just as they were right there. I mean, really really incredible stuff. All Right, I've got so much more to talk about with this headset. I'm gonna take a break real quick, but when we come back, I'm gonna talk more about this because I just can't. I can't stop. There's so much about this. It's so transformative. We're gonna talk more about that. Plus coming up on the show, I'm gonna tell you about the scam that involves your restaurant reservation. And then Brian Tong, tech creator, is gonna join me to discuss our time inside this headset. He's gonna help me compare it to other VR headsets out there. Plus your calls at Triple A rich one O one. You're listening to rich on tech. Phone lines are open at Triple A rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. We're gonna talk about a scam soon that's involving your restaurant reservation. This was a new one to me, but it makes a lot of sense. I'll tell you about that in a moment. Plus phone an email in Hello at richontech dot TV. And I've been talking about this Apple headset Vision Pro thirty five hundred dollars virtual reality headset. It's been in all the headlines this week. It is incredible, but it's very, very expensive, and so I really really enjoyed my time with this. I had about a half an hour with this device, and I said in my KTLA segment that I'm sold on it, and I didn't mean the price. I'm sold on what this thing means and what it can do. I don't know if people are gonna be switching their computers to this device immediately, but what it represents for entertainment and for communication and for accessibility is going to be pretty pretty wild. All right, let's go to line one. John is in Rosemead, California. John, you're on with Rich. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Hey Rich, thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 3: Simple question.
Speaker 4: Email program for a PC that can handle multiple email addresses?
Speaker 1: Good question. Uh. We talked about this a little bit in a recent show, and I guess the main question I have for you is you don't want to use what's built into Windows or not the mail app?
Speaker 4: Does it handle multiple email addresses?
Speaker 1: I believe it does. I don't see why it wouldn't. I mean, there's a couple of ways you can go about this, So you can you can use a program, you know, like a mail program or Outlook under okay, and so what do you like and not like about that?
Speaker 4: Now with the program that I'm with, go Daddy my emails, I have to buy an extension and it's just it's getting complicated and the size.
Speaker 1: Interesting. What do you mean you have to buy an extension? It doesn't Is it not like a Standardized email address.
Speaker 2: No it is.
Speaker 4: But Go Daddy is making me switch from POP to IMAP. Yeah, now Mozilla is not. I'm not getting emails, so I had to get an extension and I had to purchase it.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the thing I don't you may not need to do that. I think that that the IMAP is the main way that these you know, these email addresses work nowadays. It used to be POP, right, but I think I think what you have to do is I think what you have to do is delete the POP email and then set it up again as IMAP. And from what I'm looking right now on their website, it seems like it supports it natively. So I don't think you would have to, you know, get anything different or or sign up for something. Who where are you paying the money to to use this? Is it Go Daddy or Thunderbird?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: The extension is the third party extension on?
Speaker 3: Is it Chrome? No, let's Chrome on.
Speaker 4: In order for it to work, I had to get an extension in Mozilla. Okay, I don't know. Okay, some third party company that I purchased it from.
Speaker 1: Okay, interesting, all right, Well, what I'd recommend is check out mail number one. Just see if that works with the multiple accounts on your computer. It's built in, it works, it's simple. You can also if you have a Gmail account or if you have like an Outlook account, you can just add your multiple email addresses inside there and then check it from the web, which is what I prefer because you can access that from anywhere, and so I kind of like doing it that way. Otherwise, I mean, the Thunderbird program is nice. There's a couple other programs that I don't know. I think they're probably a little bit too much for what you're asking for and what you need, because they're more like, you know, high end programs. Microsoft Outlook if you have access to that, of course, is a nice program which is going to work really well. But do you have access to Outline or no.
Speaker 4: I do have access to Outlook, But doesn't that don't you have to have multiple each multiple tabs opened for each email address.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're trying to get everything in like one unified inbox. Yeah yeah, okay, that's okay, okay, not not separated, got it? Okay, Yeah, that definitely, Uh, that might that might cancel out Outlook in that case. Okay, Well, I think that the mail does combine them. I think that might be the best way to go then, because I think that's going to be your your best bet. I would check that out see if it works. And the IMAP thing, I'm I'm really confused as to why you're paying because IMAP is a very standard that's a very standard way of accessing web email accounts, and so I'm not sure why you're having to pay to do that unless you're Unless you're paying go daddy. I mean they you know, they may charge you for each email account, like I have websites that you have to pay, So that makes that makes sense. If they're charging you for the the IMAP, you know, email inbox, that make a lot of sense. But otherwise I'll.
Speaker 4: Pay for that. But in order for thunder they're saying, in order for Thunderbird Mozilla to to get it, I have to have an extension or the something something. It's like, okay, oh, I'll take a look at mail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, take a look at mail and uh. And also I would not discount the fact that you can just use Gmail and put your emails in there, and I do that with a lot of with a lot of my email addresses as well. They all come to the same place. Another thing you can do is ask GoDaddy to just forward your email to another email address, and that way you can just get those all in one email box, no matter where you use that. So there's a lot of ways to do this, but I think when it comes to the clients, it's really just a matter of downloading a couple that you look at and see and see which ones work for you, like for like, for me, if I'm looking at Thunderbird like it's may, it's maybe not a program that I'd want to use personally, you know, it kind of depends on what you're what you're looking feel is that you like for a program. I personally like accessing everything from the web. It's just simpler and I can do it on my phone as well. So good call, Thanks a lot, John, appreciate it. More of your calls coming up next at Triple eight rich one oh one. You can find me online at rich On Tech, and coming up we're talking to Brian Tongue about Apple Vision Pro. We're gonna head up to Coopertino to do that. See you right back in a minute. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich DeMuro here on location in Cooper Tino at the campus of Apple for ww DC joining me. This is your third time on the show. Count it up, Brian Tong YouTube extraordinary Brian, thanks so much for joining me.
Speaker 6: Am I the guest that's been on your show the most, so the most.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's an r. You're the guestest with the most Yeah. Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me. Rich is awesome. Fun to be here at Apple Park. Always there's like a different energy, especially when they reveal a new product category for them, and we got it.
Speaker 1: So okay. So, so I've talked about this Apple Vision Pro, but you and I actually got to try this. We did the demo and this was for selected folks here at the event, and my mind is blown away. It is really incredible. But I also understand that this is just the beginning. So what's your initial reaction to Apple Vision Pro trying.
Speaker 6: I laughed multiple times. I laughed more times. I got up and kind of like just ran around the table just to see how it feels. Because a lot of times, when you're wearing any type of headset, you don't trust this, even if it's kind of a black and white, fuzzy version of the world. You don't trust it this Obviously, We've many people talk about the highest fidelity, the richest color we've ever seen in a headset, the highest resolution, the UI and the user interface, a vision OS. I don't think people are talking about that team enough of what they did and then the experiences they showed us. Maybe what ten percent of this thing can do. Yeah, and again, this is a product that you can't know. Anyone that's listening or even seeing our videos. It will never translate how it is when you're inside of it. There's nothing like I've ever experienced before. I've tried pretty much every VR headset. This is not a VR. This is more of an AR experience primarily.
Speaker 1: Did you notice, by the way, Apple never said those words.
Speaker 6: Yes, I know it's spatial computing rich, that's the buzzword.
Speaker 1: But it is. I mean, this is the thing. So, I mean, there's so many things to break down with this. Number One, you did exactly what I did. I got up and I walked around that room. Now I've tried that with some other headsets and you can't. It's possible, but it's not really possible. This. I got up, I look down at my foot, I hit the table just to see like how far it was. There was no latency whatsoever. And I think the magic here is that somehow they nailed bridging the real with the virtual a in a way we've never seen before.
Speaker 6: And it's all, you know, as they talked about and we've known this for the past year's Apple Silicon is the genius, is the brains, is the engine behind all this, and it has completely opened up their ability to do something like this in a form factor like that, and it just you know, you hear all these rumors, and sometimes rumors can set your expectations. How about the fact that they blew every expectation out of the water with the at least the experience. I do have comments about how it feels, you know, the weight of it all, but it I don't know. I've just talked about or trying to explain it. Sometimes that speech is I just laughed at I said that was just stupid, and they were laughing, I mean saying, I was like, this is stupid.
Speaker 1: I laughed. I laughed as well, like I was sitting there like because it's one of these things. It's almost like that experience of feeling something new for the first time, where you're sitting there and like I was looking at my hands, I was kind of just looking at the op system, just kind of looking around, because you look inside this headset at what you want to select, and then you just pinch your fingers together and it selects it. So they nailed the operating system. We looked at pictures in three D and videos. What aspect were you most impressed with in the demo?
Speaker 6: Absolutely the selection and the see people that a lot of people haven't even had a headset experience in general, and a lot of people have not had a headset experience with emotion tracking. Now, the actual PSVR two does a really amazing job of emotion tracking. Quite honestly, the response miss is the same, but the OS is not built for it. It only works in certain games, so you don't get to like live this emotion tracking selection world constantly. With the Apple Vision Pro, you're constantly doing it and it becomes so second nature. I know my mom could use this if she jumped in. If she jumped in a lot of times when they say, oh, you have to hold your hands in this general area to do this gesture. Nah, and then the fact that this these gestures, I was watching some of the developer videos. Developers is gonna be able to make their own custom gestures for their own games. Oh wow, this is going to open up a lot more interactivity when we're like, well, how are you going to control these games with your hands and your fingers? That's I mean, you talk to some developers and I cannot wait to see what happens with this canvas of basically unlimited potential. We were talking in superlatives right now, but it's so appropriate. It's so appropriate, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: Now. You mentioned the weight and feel on your head, so I it was a little bit heavier than I expected. I think that that's a that's easily improvable over the years. That's something that will just take a little bit of time. But the comfort level was there, the clarity was there, and again for a first outing product, they really did a good job. It does exceed expectations. And it's one of these things where I'm reading all the comments from people, the hot takes that are coming in from social media, and people are like, rich, how can you have an opinion on this, Like, give me a break, it's too expensive. But I think what we're missing here is that this is an entirely new way to compute that we've been promised for years and now this is the beginning of it.
Speaker 6: I think everyone is so fixated on the price, but you have, let's strip that away for a second look at the technology. And it's different because we have been fortunate enough to actually experience it.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 6: Even before I experience it, I'm like, that is worth it. And then when I experienced I'm like, oh my gosh, this is crazy. And I'm not even saying that I'm going to spend that money. You know, I do review tech for a living. Will I buy it to review it? Yes, But if you ask me right now today what I throw down thirty five hundred dollars for it, I'm they really pushed me to the edge, but I'm still like, I'm going to wait and see. And part of it was just because for me, the comfort I had kind of three or four ideas going into it.
Speaker 1: I wanted.
Speaker 6: I was hoping it would be the lightest kind of headset we've ever felt. Because we heard about the reports of the battery pack being separate, I was hoping that would be a highest fidelity I've ever seen in a had said that delivered on that. I was hoping that we'd get experiences that we've never seen before. It delivered on that, and a UI and a user interface that was just smooth like butter, And it.
Speaker 1: Delivered on that.
Speaker 6: So three of those four right, and like you said, it's going to get better. So I don't, at least initially, I don't know if I'm going to be able to watch a two hour movie with it, because quite honestly, that's one of the killer apps for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw that.
Speaker 6: We've seen all the images at least of the strap in the back, but it's also a modular where there's a strap on top that they did not shove a little still the scenes, which is also for weight distribution. Right by putting that strap on the top, it pulls it back. And so I don't know about you. I do feel the weight is a little more heavy on the front, and I think part of it is because it's so sleek. A lot of these other headsets, different designs, different purposes. The battery on the back does counterweight it and kind of pull it back down, and so that's a design choice that they made.
Speaker 1: It's not horrible, I'm not saying that, but after one.
Speaker 6: I was like maybe ten to fifteen minutes and I started feeling the weight because I've worn a lot of these, and so my first thing right when I started feeling I'm like, wait, am I going to feel this two hours in for a movie? Probably? But the experience at us is so good that I might be willing to overlook it because the experience is so good.
Speaker 1: And I you and I've covered tech for how long?
Speaker 6: Many twenty plus years, and so I think you and I have this per se. Like I was going to talk about some other podcasts, but I was almost like I was so joyful. I was like about, it's so stupid, but I was about to tear up because, like, I can't believe what we're seeing, seeing how tech has evolved all these years, and this something that you and I genuinely love it.
Speaker 1: It's something that'll do, it's something it's after all these years, you're still experiencing something that's brand new. And by the way, we're just at the beginning. So imagine in five years when, by the way, the weight is a lot less, the cost is a lot less. The features, I mean just the features that I saw watching the movie, flipping through the pictures, and it was all so simple. Like when I was doing the hand gestures, it wasn't like I had to learn something new or where the buttons were or where the you know, how to do things. You looked at what you wanted to do, and then you pulled, you moved. It was just like we imagined the future would be.
Speaker 6: Think about this. A lot of people have talked about for years about oh, what is Apple without Steve Jobs? And there's DNA of course through the history of this company that is in this product. But they've squashed that talk now that you know they're not as innovative as they were without Steve Jobs.
Speaker 1: I think that's talked.
Speaker 6: You can push that aside because this is the most innovative thing we have seen, quite honestly, from almost any tech company. Ah, it's exciting. It's an exciting time, my friends. I'm staring in the air and smiling because it was. It was a joyful experience.
Speaker 1: Well, you got to wait another couple of months before you can actually get this thing again, because early twenty twenty four they haven't said when. Yeah, but we're already trying to guess when that might be. Starting started already at thirty four ninety and that doesn't include tax. But here's the deal again, this is not something that we're gonna sit there and say you have to get day one. You will know if you're the person that wants to get at day one, and if you have the means to do that, by all means, it's going to be amazing, amazing, amazing. Brian Tong, How can folks find you online?
Speaker 6: The main place? Go to YouTube dot com slash Briantong. I cover tech a lot of Apple, Samsung, Google TV's headphones, whatever it is. I love tech, but I do a lot in the Apple sphere and then on Twitter. Brian Tong got a podcast. Do just look me up. If the search engines work the way they're supposed to do, you'll find me.
Speaker 1: Brian Tong, thanks so much for joining me on the show.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Rich, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Buddy more Rich on Tech coming your way right after this. So many things to get to in the show this week, many many announcements. We'll get to iOS seventeen, some new features coming there. We've got some more information about Samsung's next event, which I believe I'll be going to. That's very exciting. Then We've got this new scam that involves restaurant reservations. But first let's go to Susan online one in Santa Monica. Susan, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, Rich, thank you. I love you. I love your show. You your demeanor is just absolutely wonderful.
Speaker 1: Thank you well, thank you.
Speaker 7: I just love your show. I was a little nervous when when you started, and you know, but you're just fantastic. Thank you. Well.
Speaker 1: I was nervous when I started. I'm still nervoussparent wonderful, thank you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, what can I help you? I'm buying. I'm choosing a television for a friend. He's eighty five years old. He lives up north, so I'll be helping him set it up over the phone. And he we used to buy everything from Costco. Costco does not carry video anymore. I really like video. I have a video. He had a video. Customer support is great with video, so I just thought to keep things simple, I should probably stick with a video. So one of my questions is going to be if you think I should get it from Amazon Prime or Video Direct. But until we get to where I buy it, I have two models. I'm comparing. They're both twenty twenty threes. They're both forty three inch. One is the V series V like Victor, and the other is the M series. Do you want the two model numbers?
Speaker 1: I don't need the model numbers. Twenty twenty threes, okay, So you've got the V series and the M series of the video.
Speaker 7: Yeah, twenty twenty three, right, and one of them. The only difference I know of, there's two differences I know of. One is a Q lead, which I know nothing about the O And the other thing is that the Q lead, which obviously is more money, has smaller speakers, and the M series that's cheaper, has larger speakers. Not much of a difference. Eight watts compared to nine watts divided by two speakers. I really, my old old video has eight watts and they're fantastic speakers.
Speaker 1: And is the M series a little bit more expensive?
Speaker 7: I'm assuming it will be yes.
Speaker 1: Okay, because the M a V. I don't know if this if it stands for value, but I believe the V is the lower end of the two.
Speaker 7: Yeah, definitely lower end.
Speaker 1: Okay. So I mean, what's what's the deciding factor is at the price.
Speaker 7: Of these two q let important. The V is not a q.
Speaker 1: Let them right, The V is not gonna Yeah, so the q let is going to have a slightly better display technology, you know, from more angles, it's going to be a little bit brighter. Four K by the way, Okay, yeah, I mean that's that's pretty standard nowadays. So what what is important to the person you're buying the TV for?
Speaker 7: Well, it's really more Well he wanted he wanted four k. Uh, he doesn't know, he does. I mean I was ready to get a ten.
Speaker 4: A d P.
Speaker 7: I didn't even realize that you've got to get the four K.
Speaker 1: Now, So well, I mean, yeah, you don't need the four K. But almost every TV he has it nowadays.
Speaker 7: Here's a LEAD and what is the other one? O LEAD?
Speaker 1: Well, the OLEAD is better than q LEAD. So you know, there's LED, there's q l ED, there's micro LED, there is O LEAD. I mean, there's so many different types of display technologies, but O LEAD is really the best. All the rest are just an LCD technology, so they all use the same technology. It's just a lot of it is the type of pixels they're using, how many they're using, and also the back lighting of that TV. The more backlighting you have, the more the picture pops in different places.
Speaker 7: You knowing from a twenty two inch twenty year old video or something, so he's gonna love or a five year old Samsung. It's just either seven eighty or ten. Okay, he's gonna love it.
Speaker 1: Susan, I think I think you.
Speaker 7: Just answered your own question you're saying.
Speaker 1: I think you just.
Speaker 7: I think you just answered. Just get whichever one I want.
Speaker 1: Know what about this, I would say front, Well, the speakers, yeah, I mean that's definitely a consideration. So the speakers on TVs are traditionally not very good. Because you're saying that your speakers on your video are good, then you know, I think you'll be okay there. I was going to suggest, you know, with the with the Roku TVs, you can add an extra speaker very easily. They have like this wireless speaker that works really nicely. But look, if you're set on these video TVs, is there you can't see them in a store. Huh, that's the problem. You can't go and see them. Can you go to like a best Buy and check them out?
Speaker 7: No? But I'm assuming it's pretty much the way my mine is five years old and they look pretty similar.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean the speakers though, can be you know, depending on the placement of them, they can be very different sounding. That's the only sound, right, So you know the look I think overall, the difference, well, there's I mean, there's a difference there. But I think that the reality is one of these is more of a value oriented set. One is a higher end set. So if you want, you know, the best that you can get at this price point, then I would go with the M. If you feel like it's not going to be that big of a deal and you think that, I mean, look what I tell people when they're upgrading from TVs. Ninety percent of the time they're upgrading from a TV that's ten years old. Anything they get is going to be better, especially in this case, you're telling me he has a very old set. So I think either one is going to be fine. I think at the end of the day, if the audio is horrible on this set and he just can't hear it or he's having trouble, you can easily add of a sound bar for under one hundred dollars that will change everything. So I would just go with whatever one you think if it's one hundred dollars more for the better one, maybe just go with the better one because he's going to be keeping this for you know, another five ten years, and so if you do the math, it's it's a pretty good value there. So, but in general, the video stuff is nice, and you know, I like their operating system. It's a it's a good In fact, they're you know, Irvine company, so you know, local to California as well. So I'm glad that you're doing this form. Susan, thank you so much for doing that for your friend. Great question. TVs are always, you know, it's always one of these things where it's an impulse by I've got a visio in my like kind of den playroom and it's fine. It's got HDR. It was very inexpensive. I picked it up. It was a forty three inch. I picked it up at Costco back when they sold them at Costco. Now I use it with an external speaker, so I can't really vouch for the speaker quality, but it's been great and it works just fine. So a good question there. All right, let me tell you about this scam real quick involving open table and your restaurant reservations. So I got an email from open Table saying there's an increase in scams targeting diners and the hospitality industry. So apparently people are calling people asking to pretending they're a restaurant and asking for your credit card details, often saying you need to request a deposit for a reservation, and it sounds far fetched. You're like, wait a second, you don't need a reservation. You don't need a deposit for a restaurant reservation. But a lot of restaurants, especially in the popular areas, are now requiring not a deposit per se, but a credit card number. So it's very easy to say, oh, hey, we're calling from this restaurant and we need your your credit card number, and you give it to them, thinking oh, that's kind of odd, but you give it and next thing you know, they're stealing your information. So just be very careful. Typically, if you're using open table, you're going through open table itself and you're putting your credit card info through there. But just be aware this is now happening new scam where someone will call saying they're from a restaurant and they want your credit card details. If you're in doubt, hang up, call the restaurant directly and then say, hey, did you call and ask me for this? Don't call back the number that they called you from, because it's probably a scam too. You're listening to rich on Tech Triple eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one more the show coming up after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, broadcasting live from Alie Saul Ranch in Santa Barbara Wine Country. What a place to be broadcasting beautiful, beautiful area. Sun's not out, but you know, California has been seeing some interesting weather over the past six months. I don't know what it is, but it's still beautiful and it's still very relaxing, and I'm quite impressed that we're able to do the show from here because it's a place where people come to disconnect from all technology. But somehow here we are very much connected. Phone lines are open at Triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. You can email in hello at Richontech dot TV. Let's go to line two. Michael in Thousand Oaks. Michael, you have a comment about the Vision Pro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, more of a question. So a long time ago, when I or iTunes still had DRM, I kind of chose the Google or the Android system. I went forward from that. So I've never been attached to Apple, but it's sounds like this new headset is kind of a game changer, and I wouldn't mind getting into it. It's just how hard would it be to integrate everything that I like, whether it's Google Photos or Gmail or you know, anything like that into the new Apple ecosystem.
Speaker 1: Oh good question. So that's a great question because you're you're talking to a guy who does use the iPhone as his primary device, but has a loyalty to Google products and services that I really enjoy. And so I am using most of those things that you just talked about, whether it is, you know, Google Photos, whether it's Gmail, and so all of it works on the iPhone and on Apple products. Some of it is just not as good as it is on the Android side. And the two operating systems are very different. So Android let's developers have a lot more leeway with what they can do and how apps can interact with each other, and what apps can do and all these different things, whereas iOS is at its heart very much sandboxed, which means all apps sort of have to run in their own little area, and yes they can interact with other apps, but it's very much in a controlled manner that Apple allows. So, for instance, when you open up a link for a YouTube video, ninety percent of the time on the Android, it's just going to open up in the YouTube app. But if you open up a link for a YouTube video on an iPhone, ninety percent of the time, it's going to open up in its own little tiny web browser inside the app that you're using, and it may not connect to your account. So let's say you want to go back later on on your YouTube history and see you know that you watch that video, it may not appear on there on the iPhone because you're not logged in, because it's using like a separate web browser to do that. So it's just little nuances like that. But overall, Michael, I think that the transition would be a little rocky, but I think that everything does work, and believe me, it can work harmoniously. It's just not in the same way that if you were using all of Apple stuff. I always joke with the iPhone, you know, and the way Apple does stuff that you know, their ideal is that you're using almost all of their own stuff. And they've gotten a little bit better about this. But traditionally the iPhone, the features that Apple builds into it, they sort of work best. Gosh, like they use their own stuff to their advantage, you know, like the music app works really well, the notes app works really well, the reminders works really well with Siri, and they've tried to open things up over the years, but I just don't know if it's to the extent of the open and sort of free system that Google has going on with Android. Now, look, this is an ongoing debate. I'm not going to sit here and tell you one's better than the other. I think they both very much have their their pros and cons, and some people are die hard Android, some people are die hard iPhone. The one thing I will say that I do not that I really really disagree with when it comes to what Apple has done is I Message. And I know people love I Message, but I am not a fan of the fact that Apple has sort of broken this cross platform communication between all phones in the world. So ninety nine percent of phones in the world use something called RCS, which is a modern text messaging protocol which can give you you know, you can send through large videos, photos, you can get read you know, indicators and typing indicators. But Apple has decided to take your phone number and make it their own I Message thing. And so that's the one thing I do take issue with. I really don't like that fact because people that are on I Message, sure it's great, it's amazing, but when you start to text cross platform between I Message and Android, it gets a little messy. And Apple has the means to make it not messy, but they have so far chosen not to do that. So good question, Michael. I wouldn't switch over just yet. I think you've got some time to figure it out. But yes, you are right. And this is why Apple continues to come up with these game changing products because they know that eventually it will have that halo effect of getting people in their ecosystem. And yeah, Apple products work really well with each other. They do. Okay, since we're talking about Apple, let me tell you what's coming up on iOS seventeen. This is the new version of the software that Apple unveiled at WWDC. They showed off a whole bunch of new features. So I guess first things first, I'm going to tell you the bad news. The bad news is there's a couple of phones that will not be getting the update to iOS seventeen, which means it's the end of the line for major software operating system upgrades for these phones. And the three phones that it affects are the iPhone, the iPhone eight plus, and the iPhone ten. Those phones will not be getting iOS seventeen. So the ten are and up will be getting iOS seventeen. And yes, it does include the second generation iPhone se so if you have that, that's like the last phone with a home button that will be getting iOS seventeen. And that just came out a couple years ago, so it's pretty new anyway. But if you have the iPhone eight, eight plus or ten, you will not be getting iOS seventeen. Now, what I'm not clear on is if you will continue to get security updates for another year or two. You may because Apple recently with iOS sixteen, divided the operating system updates from the security updates, so you may still get security updates. You don't have to like toss your phone in the trash today, all right. Couple new features in iOS seventeen number one Live voicemail. This means that you can see a real time transcription as someone is leaving a voicemail and you can decide if you want to pick that up. FaceTime will support audio and video messages, so if someone doesn't pick up FaceTime, you can leave them a message and also an I message. Is a new feature called check in. This is a safety feature, so when you're leaving something like a bar or school or wherever and you want to tell a friend or family member when you're going to get home, you don't have to do this manual anymore. You can just say set a check in, and when you get to your destination, they will see they will get a text that has information that you've arrived safely. If you go off course or you don't arrive in a reasonable amount of time, they will get a text that gives you information, gives them information about you. So they'll get the device's location, the battery level of your phone, and your cell phone service status so that they can say, like, huh, it's odd, I guess they went to someone else's house or where are they what's going on? And they can take action. A new feature called name Drop is a play on air drop, so you can bump two iPhones together or an iPhone in an Apple Watch and exchange contact information, which I think is a really really cool feature. I wish that was just built into every phone, but I guess it will be for iPhones. Let's see what else. Autocorrect is getting better. I know there's this big A lot of people are talking about it on their Instagram and memes and stuff, where it will now allow you to use swear words. It won't automatically correct those to a non swear word, and people are celebrating that. But I guess I just don't swear in my texts enough to be appreciative of that. But people are really really excited about that feature. Then there's this thing called standby, and this is when your phone is on its side and charging, it will display personalized information like your photos or a calendar or anything else. It's got a lot of different options. With the iPhone fourteen Pro, which has the always on display, you'll always see it. On the other phones, you'll just have to tap the screen to see it. Then they've got this new journaling app. It's called Journal and This is really smart. It's kind of a health app. It will help you practice gratitude through journaling, which they say has been shown to improve your well being and I do believe that. But it does something a little bit smarter. It will pull from things like your GPS and your photos to kind of suggest starter journal entries. And of course this is all encrypted in private, as only Apple does. Screen Time will now tell you when you're using your phone too much, so it's going to try to help you avoid some eye issues. So if you're holding your phone really close to your face more than twelve inches for an extended period of time, it's going to warn you and say, hey, you might want to pull that phone back or take a break for a little bit. Air tags can now be shared with other people, which is nice. So if you have air tags, you can share their location with friends and family. Let's see what else. Oh, Siri is now just Siri. You don't have to say hey, Siri anymore. Now you can just say Siri. And again that's in iOS seventeen. And there's a feature in photos that will now allow you to recognize your dog and your caps you can make an album for them. And finally, did I already say. Finally, one more thing is called sensitive Content Warning. This will help you avoid seeing unwanted nude images and videos. So it will screen the pictures that come in and the videos that come in on your phone, especially through text messages, and it will say, it will blur them out and say, h some nudity in here. Do you want to see this? And that can help protect you from unwanted nude pictures. And yes, that is a thing. People send these things day and night, every day, and again I guess it's not something that I send, so I just don't have a lot of experience with that, but it is a nice safety protection. All right. There you have it. New features coming to iOS seventeen in the fall. There will be a public beta coming I believe next month, So if you really want to try those out a little bit earlier, there is an opportunity to do that, although I only recommend doing that if you know what you're doing with your phone. Coming up on the show, we're going to talk to some award winning app developers. We're going to head back up to WWDC and talk to some developers of the app Flighty and another tennis app that uses AI to check out your swing and give you some information about that. Phone lines are open at Triple eight rich one on one. You are listening to Rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you on a beautiful weekend, talking technology at Triple eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. We've been talking a lot about this Apple Vision Pro, this new VR headset, and I'm just curious what you think, like, are you gonna switch? Are you gonna pay? I mean, thirty five hundred dollars is a lot of money. And not only is it a lot of money, the way that I think of things is you got to divide it up by how much you're gonna use this thing. Right, So when I buy my laptop computer, yeah it's expensive, but I'm gonna use it for three years, and then gonna give it to a family member who's gonna use it for another three years, and then you know, on and on, and you do the math on that, and it's a pretty good value. But thirty five hundred dollars for a first generation product, by the way, plus tax plus accessories, are they gonna have Apple care on this thing. I mean, so I did the math. I've got to save up about one hundred and fifty dollars for the next think about thirty nine weeks forty weeks before this thing comes out or whatever it is till January. That was my goal. And so I don't know. I mean, it's just one of these things where I don't want to pay that money, but I kind of want to have this thing. So we'll say, let's go to line one. Nile is in Clover City, California. Nile. You're on with Rich.
Speaker 5: Hey, Rich, first time caller, longtime listener. Well, I know show he's kind of brand new, but I've been listening to you as the text show for the longest time. But I have a question about Apple Vision pro on what you think, you know for the future application on somebody that has a stick because the more impairment with their eyes, will it be you know, useful for some of them has a problem with seeing long distance or you know or reading classes.
Speaker 3: To the correct your vision.
Speaker 1: Great question, and this is something that I talked to Apple about. So I did my demo, which was I mean, it's very you know, Apple is is very buttoned up when they do all of this stuff, they have it all figured out, so you go into this. They built this new facility just to demo this device, and it's on their campus and I imagine it'll be there for the next six months because they're probably gonna have people coming in to demo these things throughout the next six months. Uh So I did my demo, and after my demo, I got to sit down with some Apple people to talk about, you know, any questions I have. And one of the big questions a lot of people have is what does this mean for people with vision accessibility issues? And Apple has really been on the forefront of many many accessibility features and they are one percent committed to making this work for as many types of vision abilities as there are out there, and that ranges from low vision to partial vision to seeing issues, you know, whether it's prescription glasses, whether it is you know, I even had a question of if someone has only vision in one eye, will it work. They didn't give me the answers to all of these things, but they said they have an entire team that is working to make sure that this is going to be an incredible solution for people that have different vision issues. And so when I went in there, and I don't wear glasses, but when I went in there, they actually did a quick little vision assessment to say, hey, you know, do you wear prescription glasses? And they had some lenses there that people were able to put on. Now, from what I've heard, the lenses are going to be an add on for at least prescription lenses, and it will be you know, we don't know the price just yet, but you know, I've heard numbers being thrown out there. But this is a highly personalized product. So when I asked the question can I share this with someone else in my household, it's really personalized because they measure the fit of your face on this this light seal that they've got, and so it'll come in a whole bunch of different sizes, so it's really personalized just for you. And then of course it scans your irises to unlock, which is another interesting feature. But niall a great question. I think that Apple is going to really really think about how this can can open up new worlds for people with low vision and varying vision abilities, and I think that's a really great thing. And just seeing this technology in person, it's quite incredible, and I think that it should be shared with as many people as possible and hopefully they do get that price down. So thanks for calling today. I appreciate that. All right, switching gearsh Oh, you're still there. Oh hey, I didn't know you're still on there. Switching gears. Here, Let's let me talk about I know, I know, I've said so much Apple stuff. So if you're listening and you're like, rich enough of the Apple stuff, I get it. It's a big deal for Apple though this week. But there is some Samsung news as well. Samsung is going to host their twenty seventh Unpacked event in Seoul, Korea in late July. Now I told you there's a rumor about this event happening. This is where Samsung is going to unveil I mean, this is rumor. They haven't said, but the new Galaxy z Fold five and the Flip five, which is so wild because I remember specifically testing these phones out last summer and I fell in love with the z Fold five. It was such a great phone. It was just that screen on the outside was just a little bit too small for my taste. But I feel like they're going to do a lot better with this new one. We'll see. But this is happening in Seoul, South Korea, and that is going to be in late July. They haven't said the exact date, but they're going to do this event at Cox And I'm not even gonna try to pronounce some of these places. But it's a cool area where it's a hub for startups and a millennial boot temple. So you've got startups and buddhists. How interesting is that. So I am doing my best to get there. I've never been to Korea. I think that this would be a great opportunity to go, So I am. I've gotten permission to go, so I expect me to be there, let's just put it that way. I've got to rearrange a couple of things, but I am very excited. And of course, you know, there's always some in trepidation of going to a new place that you've never been before. But I'm excited and so again, Samsung Unpacked usually happens in New York, usually happens in Las Vegas, usually happens in Barcelona, London, Berlin. They've done these in various countries around the world, or various cities and countries. The first was in March twenty ten in Las Vegas. And so now they said, you know what, we're gonna do these in different places because these devices represent something new, something different, pushing the boundaries. And so let's go to our home town in Korea. And I'm curious because you know, we're so iPhone centric here in the US, so I'm curious what it's like to be in Korea, where Samsung is such a behemoth pretty much the Apple over there. So, by the way, the Samsung Galaxy fold was introduced in twenty nineteen, which means it's been about four years and it's it's got a thirteen point six percent adoption rate in Korea, which is the highest in the world. So these foldable phones are really coming in very very fast from Google and now from Samsung and of course Apple. Eventually we'll get there, all right. Coming up, we're going to talk to two award winning developers of Flighty and Swing Vision. We're heading back up to WWDC more rich on Tech after this. Rich on Tech, Welcome back to the show. This is where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about, and it's also the place where I answer your questions very special guests for you. We are on site at Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, California, site of the Worldwide Developers Conference. I've got two great app developers with me today. Ryan Jones of Flighty, who's actually been on the show before, welcome back, and swap Nol Sahai of swing Vision. This is an AI powered tennis app. You guys are both Apple Design winners. Welcome to the show and congratulations.
Speaker 8: Thank you for having us.
Speaker 1: All right, so Ryan, let's talk first. Since I used your app on my way up here. Flighty has gotten so many accolades for its design. Did you set out to just make like the most beautiful flight tracking app? Ever?
Speaker 9: Honestly, it was something we talked about the guys that are on the team. There's three of us, and we kind of all came together around the idea of already agreeing that it was a problem that there was no way for flyers to get this information fast and easily. And when we were doing research on what did users want in the space, one of the things that people kept saying over and over was easy to use, which you know, sometimes people will say, but a lot of times they won't. A lot of times they'll say certain features that are specific to them, but the fact that people just kept saying easy to use over and over was really something that we thought we could hang our hat.
Speaker 1: On and swap noil this swing Vision app explain what it does well.
Speaker 8: Basically, you just set up your iPhone at the back of the tennis court and then it will track the ball trajectory for you just using your camera, and so you can tell whether the ball is in or out. It can track all of your stats, it'll create highlights of your game. It does quite a lot, and it's pretty crazy that it just does it with a single iPhone.
Speaker 1: I was going to say that sounds like something and I played tennis growing up, so I'm very familiar with the sport, but that sounds like something you needed a lot of equipment for back in the day to accomplish something like that. Definitely.
Speaker 8: I mean even today at the professional level, if you look at the US Open that's happening in New York, they have ten cameras around the court to do this, and so we're pretty much the first people to do this with a single camera.
Speaker 1: And so what do you think the benefit is to the player? I think it helps you review your footag really efficiently. So if you play a match that's typically two hours long, you can watch it in like twenty minutes. You can say, show me every serve that I missed into the net and it'll immediately create a hot reel for you. So it's really efficient and fast to revere a game. And then the biggest problem in tennis has always been line calling. You have to call the ball in or out yourself. We finally solve that for kind of the average person, which is really exciting and a lot of like high school college athletes will have this for the first time ever now and it just takes one iPhone.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it just takes one iPhone and we can see both sides of the court. The camera is just so powerful and the neural engine on the iPhone really allows us to process all that information really quickly.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is incredible. So when you get this award from Apple Apple Design Award, what does that mean? Does it get you more downloads, does it get people to notice you? What does that mean to you?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean it's everything. Like, as an app developer, that's what you dream of. I actually came here back in twenty fifteen as a student scholarship winner for WWDC. So this is just kind of like the stuff you dream of. It's amazing for us to finally get to this point.
Speaker 1: And Ryan, yeah, the same for us.
Speaker 9: It really partly is kind of just an internal recognition and a kind of a thank you. I think that Apple's able to provide the community because a lot of us know within the community who the other Apple Design Award winners are. But it definitely is something that is kind of a gold medal in our world.
Speaker 1: Did you used to work for Apple at some point? I did.
Speaker 9: Yeah, back in operations, so nothing related to software or anything. Worked in iPhone operations, more or less predicting sales and bringing units over from China.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, but you weren't here in Kupertino, were you? That's correct. I was in Austin, Okay. You're in Austin, beautiful place. I was just there by the way. Yeah, it's our second biggest campus now. They have a big presence there. Yeah, a lot of tech companies in Austin, Okay. So while we were here, we saw this new headset and I imagine your kind of brain is already working on the possibilities of how to code for it and maybe extend your app for that headset. Is there something you thought of that could work for that?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, I think when it comes to sports, at least, you know, there's an immediate application of just training. You know, imagine you're playing tennis, you're hitting some serves and there's virtual targets that appear above the net. You know exactly where you should be hitting. You could see kind of a shadow of another player and how you're supposed to be doing your swing. So I just think there's there's so many applications to sports, But I think beyond that, it's just very exciting that it's going to touch kind of every facet of our life.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and we've been thinking the same thing.
Speaker 9: You know, this is our first kind of look at it and real understanding of exactly what capabilities is going to bring. You even saw Apple highlight in the keynote the actual usage of being on an airplane. So it's something we thought about could potentially be applicable, and you know, it's kind of endless possibilities. At the moment, we're thinking about stuff like notifying you if you're flying over the Grand Canyon and here you can get a little view of what it would be like as you're going over it, or hey, you can't look out the window because you're in an aisle seat. Here's what the skyline looks like at the window. So there's just all kinds of crazy things that you kind of have to wrap your mind around for the first time.
Speaker 1: Are you ready to wear the headset for your next flight to like watch a movie or something like that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, maybe I'm a little biased, but I actually think it's gonna be one of the first places people kind of think it's okay and adopt it out in public. You know, if you think about getting on a plane, people are already trying to kind of how can I get the best noise canceling.
Speaker 1: Possible, Like just make the baby go away. I don't want to hear the crying.
Speaker 9: And that's if you're a parent here just exactly so the other people who wanted even more, you got to bring them for everybody in your aisle.
Speaker 1: I've been in that, believe me. I've got two kids and I was I went through that whole phase of flying and it's like, you don't want your kid to make like a peep, and if you when you sit down in the row. You have to like almost apologize to everyone around. You're like, I swear they'll be a good kid, They'll be perfectly fine. But now my kids are just on their iPad the whole time. So then even they're like, the flight's already over. Imagine when we all have these headsets on them on. So, what do you think is the most rewarding part of being a developer? What do you think is like, is the feedback from people? Is it just seeing your app being used?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean I think that one of the coolest experiences was definitely this WWDC just running too. Some of the developers around the world who like know our app and use it, you know, whenever we get featured by Apple. We've been featured in a few keynotes. It's just it's always amazing that you just kind of get to be a part of that developer community and also just kind of the wider community of the world too, just random people around the world using your product.
Speaker 1: It's crazy and.
Speaker 8: You've created this thing that didn't exist before. I think that's probably the most rewarding part.
Speaker 1: Do you have people in like different countries using your app? For sure?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean more than half for customers around the world. We have a bunch of people in Western Europe. Brazil is actually really big, China's a big country for US, Australia. I mean, it's it's all around the world. It's really crazy and I mean good playing sports everywhere, right, so everyone needs it.
Speaker 1: What were you doing before the app?
Speaker 8: I was at Tesla actually, so I was working on the autonomous driving team there doing computer vision for tracking all the cars and pedestrians, and so that's where it kind of got more familiar with this problem of using cameras to do really cool tracking of objects that are moving really fast. And also been a lifelong tennis player, so that's how I made that transition.
Speaker 1: And do you have plans for future apps different sports? Are you going to stick to tennis?
Speaker 8: Yeah, definitely, I mean that's the plan. You know, you look at what Strava has done where they initially started on cycling, then they started doing running, and so that's kind of what we want to do to expand beyond tennis. So this fall we're actually going into pickleball, which, as you know, is oh crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So and I mean in the future, you know, might go to baseball or golf, there's lots of other applications I think down the road for us.
Speaker 1: Why did pickleball get so pop? I mean, I knew people that were playing that a long time ago, but why did all of a sudden just was like a movie or TV show? What made that so popular?
Speaker 8: It's it's weird. I mean, I think a lot of investment just came in. Pandemic also helped because there's one of the few sports you could play outdoors, right But I think that ultimately it's just really accessible. You can just pick it up right away. You know, there's no crazy motion that's hard to learn, like a serve in tennis, So it's just super accessible. You can have people at different levels playing it. To be fair, I still prefer tennis personally, but I see the appeal of pickable and I understand why it's going so quickly.
Speaker 1: Does anything translate from the tennis skills to pickle ball? Oh for sure? Yeah.
Speaker 8: I mean I think I think my fourhands are going to work pretty well on the pick up bow court.
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe I'll try. I know, the courts smaller, Ryan, how about you, What's what do you get out of all this?
Speaker 10: Like?
Speaker 1: Personally?
Speaker 9: Yeah, the I think someone was trying to explain what WWDC is kind of to us earlier this week, and it's some sort of combination of Christmas but also New Year's Day. It's just like you definitely feel the feeling of getting new presence and the excitement of like, oh my gosh, what are the capabilities we're going to be able to add to apps this year? And then for us, it really is kind of the start of the calendar getting ready for the I was seventeen and all the new hardware and software to roll out, you know, the the year usually, And it's also incredibly motivating. It's so cool to see, like other developers, what other cool people are doing, like just swing Vision and stuff that you know you didn't even know existed. You get to talk to amazing users who typically have really good feedback. It's just honestly a big kind of uplifting moment for kind of the whole team.
Speaker 1: All right, Ryan, tell folks how to find your app. It's called Flighty.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Flighty, So the website is flightyapp dot com and swapnil.
Speaker 1: How do you find swing Vision.
Speaker 8: You can just find us at swing Tennis on our website. And then We're on all the socials, TikTok, Instagram. It's just Swingvision app, all.
Speaker 1: Right, very cool. Swapnil Sahai of swing Vision, the AI powered tennis app, and Ryan Jones of Flighty, the most beautiful flight tracking app you'll ever download. Thanks so much for joining me today on the show. I'm rich damiro More rich on Tech. Right after this, welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Damuro here hanging out with you talking about technology. You can find me online at rich on Tech. So most of the time hanging out on Instagram. If I've been talking up this place. I'm doing the show from the Alisol Ranch. If you want to see some behind the scenes pictures, you can go to my Instagram stories at rich on Tech. You can see some of the beauty up here. I'll post some more as well. Let's see what else I'm on Facebook, same rich on Tech, Twitter, rich on Tech, and Tom wrote in on Twitter. Hey, Rich, I'm really enjoying the show on KFI this Saturday. Just wondering if you plan to use a VPN on your trip to the Samsung event this July. Please let us know as I am a traveler. Also, thank you, Tom. I don't typically use a VPN. I did, so here's my delineation. I mean, when I went to China, it was essential you had to use a VPN because you can't really access a lot over there. Korea, I'm not sure. I don't know if they have the same restrictions. I don't believe they do. But if I do need to use one, I will. I actually used one here when I was on the public Wi Fi. Anytime you're accessing sensitive information like bank account, if you're checking your balances or doing any kind of banking, I would definitely recommend using a VPN. Or if you're on your cell phone, it's very easy. Just disconnect from the Wi Fi and just use your cellular connection. That's going to be nice and nice and secure. So if you're on your phone, you know, you really if you have a cellular connection, you can just use that. Just disconnect from the Wi Fi so nobody can sniff out what you're doing or what you're entering, and look, ninety nine percent of the time you're going to be okay. But my point is if you're trying to do something that's that's secure, or if you're exchanging something that's very secure, banking online, all that stuff. You probably want to use a VPN. Now, when it comes to VPNs, a couple of things to look for. Did a story with k with for Ktla about VPNs and we talked to an expert and this is what they recommended. Wire guard versus open VPN. Wire Guard is a little bit more modern and so it's secure, it's fast, it's easy, and open VPN is a little bit older, so it's more tried and true, but it's you know, the wire guard is kind of more modern. On the website of the VPN you choose, you want to look for independent audit audit results, so make sure that someone's independent verifying that they do not keep logs or whatever else they do that they say they do. Look for independent results on that. And then you want to make sure that the VPN you get works on your various devices. So if it works on iOS, Android, your computer, make sure they have various apps for the different platforms that you use. With all that said, a couple of recommendations here. Molvad m U l l VA D was our expert's top pick. Then IVPN surf Shark and tunnel Bear were also top picks, and then the other one is VPS. So if you have Google, you can use Google One and they have if you pay for sorry, if you pay for Google One, then you get a VPN included for free, and they've got apps for Android, iOS, Windows and Mac devices. And if you pay for a password manager, you may also get a VPN included with that as well. So a lot of different ways to to do that and get the VPN coverage. But again you want to look for certain things and make sure that it works on all of your devices. Good question there. All right, let's see do we have another question here? We got an email question. Hey, Rich, I have a website that was set up many years ago when Microsoft front Page was popular. The site's pretty basic, so for many years I've been able to create, copy, edit new pages with front Page. It works fine with Windows seven, but I'm pretty sure it's incombatible with Windows eleven, which I'd like to upgrade to. Because you suggest any website editing programs that would be easy to use and learn. Thanks so much, Jay in Houston. Jay, I think the world has switched to online website builders, so I would use one of those. I would use something like Wicks is probably the most popular that's going to let you get started for free. They do have some free levels of plans that you can use. I'd probably use that. Weebley was another one, but they were actually bought by Square. They're more about e commerce, so you may not need the features that they have, but they also have a free plan you can use with that. And square Space is also really nice, but you're gonna have to pay for that one. But it's gonna be simple and easy and beautiful, but Square Space is going to cost money. And you can also look into things like Google Sites. They have a free website building program, and you know, you can also do it yourself, or if you really want to get fun, you can use one of these new programs like chat, GPT or bard to help you write your program to write your HTML for your website, So that could be kind of fun. But otherwise, those are some of the options you can go for. All right, so I am remote, So I'm a little confused on our time here? Do we have time to take a call or no? Is that okay? Yeah, okay, let's go to line three. Jay is in el segundo. Jay, you're on with Rich. Sorry about that, I got sidetracked here because this show is going so fast. Maybe it's the uh, the country air I'm breathing. What's going on? Hi?
Speaker 3: Rich?
Speaker 10: Hey?
Speaker 3: I was calling. I wanted to set up my internet out in my garage right now, and I was wondering, do you have any suggestions or things I need to consider when running cable a long distance about one hundred feet underground to get an Internet signal out out that far from where my current internet is in the house.
Speaker 1: Oh uh, that's that's above my pay grade. I I I. Anytime it's anytime I'm running some cable or wire, I'm usually asking a pro to do it. Have you done this before yourself?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 11: No, I mean I all I did when I when we uh renovated our house, you know, after the cable people ran the Internet signal into the attic, I hooked it.
Speaker 3: All up in there. And I have of a just a cheap little router that goes into a switch that goes into a Google Wi Fi router, and then I got three of those in the house. That uh, and that'd be great.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Have you tried bringing one out there? It won't it won't span that hundred feet Huh. No, Yeah, I wouldn't think. So, Now do you have any way to run this line? Is it going to be? Are you hanging it or outside? Are you running it underground? How are you doing it? What's what's the most method there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're renovating our garage also, so we are going to be running a We'll have a trench and be able to run the line underground and you know, whatever piping that we need to and then basically have a cable coming out inside the garage. I'm just wondering, you know, does it need to be a special cable or can it just be a cap five cable you know that you get from an Amazon or something like that that's just one hundred feet long or one hundred and fifty Probably one hundred feet would do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I would. I would consider, you know, maybe a more industrial cable if they have one, like I would look at. Have you looked at like monoprice?
Speaker 3: Yes, yep, okay, so I would.
Speaker 1: I would. I would look there and see if they have more of a you know, maybe an outdoor cable or something like that that is a little bit more protected from the elements and your standard cable that you'd use inside, because this thing, even though it's going to be in a trench and inside a a you know, conduit, you want to make sure that this is going to last for a long time. And so I would I would assume that they have that. Again, I haven't, I know, I have no experience with that. I've never run I've never run a gable underneath. I'm too scared to do it. But I've been wanting to build a shed, so I guess i'd learn. But I would call up a couple of you know, a couple of people and you know, on Yelp, and just see what they say, See what they say about how much this would cost, and if it's that big of a deal, and if you can do it yourself, or if you're just gonna have whoever runs this trench kind of just run. You can do this yourself and run that cable inside. But I would check out Monoprice to see if they have more of an outdoor style cable versus the standard cables that you'd run inside. I would believe they would, you know, cable that can withstand a little bit more of the elements. So it sounds exciting. I've always wanted one of these like garage setups. That's that's been my goal. I've been talking about it for like five years at my house. So maybe one of these days we'll swap stories about how much fun it is to have a little shed. All right, Janelsigudo, thanks so much for calling. More of your calls at Triple eight rich one oh one, you are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to the show. Rich Demiro here tech reporter at KTLA Channel five in Los Angeles. So if you ever want to watch some of the things I do on TV, you can go to my website rich on Tech dot tv Let's see what Else podcast. If you want to listen to the show later on you miss something, you can download the podcast. Just go to rich on tech dot tv look for the podcast icon. You can also just search rich on Tech in your favorite podcasting app. And if you want notes to something I mentioned here, you can go to the website again you know what it is, richontech dot tv and look for show number twenty three. Got all the show notes there and follow me on Instagram at rich on tech is where you can find where I post most of the time and you can see some behind the scenes pictures of today's show, including setting up for the remote show. You can see what it looks like to set up the show from start to finish. So that's kind of fun. Let's see. Can I post anything to Instagram this week of interest? Let me say usually, I kind of go through some of the videos I posted. It's sad if I say I didn't, Oh I did. I posted like a hands on or I couldn't show you the hands on. But I did post some of the Apple's virtual headset, the division pros, and some of my pictures from Coopertino as well. All Right, what I love about this show is instant feedback. And so Reid called from Riverside, California and suggested for Jay. He was asking about, you know, running the cable from his house underground to the garage, the Ethernet cable, and Reid says, as a construction worker, they run the cables inside PVC pipe for protection when burying underground. Yeah, you don't want to just put these things in the ground, that's for sure. You don't want to just like put the dirt over it and you're like, okay, there it goes. And then I looked on Monoprice for an outdoor cable, and sure enough they've got it. It's a it's a twenty four AWG cable, which is a higher gauge, and it is one hundred feet. Is going to set you back thirty two bucks. So that's pretty good one hundred foot monoprice cable. And then we got an email from Sandy. She was listening to the interview with the two developers and said, is Flighty only for Apple? Yes, it's only for Apple. At this point I have asked the developer, well they make something for Android, and they maybe in a couple of years, they said, but they're just not committing. They said they have too much going on with Apple right now in iPhone and it's just doing too well, and so they just really see a lot of momentum there. I know it's such a great app. I wish I had it on both platforms. I really do. And I'm almost almost hesitant in general to recommend things that are not on two platforms because I do believe that cross platforms should be the way to go for anything. I try to choose cross platform platform apps for almost any app that I use because I like the idea that it's accessible to everyone speaking of big changes. This is really really incredible news and it's it's this means a lot. I don't know what it's going to mean in the future for electric cars. But GM has now followed in Ford's footsteps and they are now committing to the Tesla super charger network. So that is really interesting move. So GM is going to integrate the Tesla charger standard into their new evs starting in twenty twenty five, and then GM customers will be able to access twelve thousand Tesla superchargers in early twenty twenty four. And that means they're going to ditch the other charging infrastructure and I guess you'll still be able to charge maybe at these other places. But the fact that now GM and Ford are adopting Tesla supercharging technology is really telling for this industry. So we kind of have a you know, a war going on between these different standards, and the fact that Tesla is a private company building this supercharging network is you know, not everyone likes that idea because it's it's a lot of power for one company. And so GM says they're also going to integrate the Tesla supercharger network into its vehicle and mobile apps you can locate, pay for, and initiate charging at a available superchargers. It says this will complement the charging experience at their own network of Ultium Charge three sixty stations and additional charging stations GM makes available through its existing integrations with other charging networks. That's very obscure, right, It's like they're like, ah, well, we'll just continue to support that until we don't. Okay, But anyway, the momentum is there for this Tesla supercharging network. Now I talked about this last week. You know, if I was going to get a car, it's not just limited to Tesla anymore because they have the best network for charging. Now, I'd say, okay, let me take a look what Ford has. Let me take a look at what GM has. Let's go to line one. Rudy is in Woodland Hills, California. Rudy, you are on with Rich.
Speaker 3: Hey, thank you, sir. So just have a quick question. I'm going to.
Speaker 1: Oh, Rudy, I can't hear you. You got you gotta move to a little bit of better location. Try again. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Now I'm handing Berlin, Germany on July six for ten days. You want to know what you recommend to communicate.
Speaker 3: With family back home, be a phone, be it WhatsApp.
Speaker 2: What do you recommend?
Speaker 1: Oh? Good question. So again this kind of goes into what I was talking about with cross platform stuff. If you're all on iPhone, go ahead, use I Message, use Wi Fi. You can use Wi Fi calling through your provider. You can turn that on in the settings. Make sure that your cellular provider supports that. They probably do. You can also use what's called FaceTime audio, but again that only works if you're everyone you're communicating with has an iPhone. Now a lot of people do, but I think that cross platform is a little bit easier. So WhatsApp, if you can get everyone to download that, we'll do everything you need. You'll be able to make video calls, you'll be able to chat, and that's going to do ninety nine percent of what you need. The other solution that I use with my family is called Telegram, and it's very similar to what's app, except it's not end to end encrypted by default, so you do have to know that. They do have end to end encryption options, but it's not by default, so you can use that. But again, the whole name of the game here is you need to get everyone to download the same app if you're going to communicate with them. Otherwise it's just on a one by one basis. So if you know that your you know, mother uses Telegram, use that for her. If you know that your sister is using an iPhone, use FaceTime and FaceTime audio for them, and for anyone else. If you need to make a phone call, you can use Wi Fi calling and you know Wi Fi texting. So the main thing is if you want to save money on your cellular you can turn off your cellular connection and leave on the Wi Fi calling connection and that should take care of you know, text messages and phone calls. Every carrier is just a little bit different when it to this stuff. But for me personally, I would just try to get a cross platform app before you leave that everyone uses now the Silent the Silent app and all of this. That's kind of like the universal app. That's kind of a secret solution that many people don't think about is Instagram. Almost every person that I know is on Instagram, and Instagram handles the video and audio and also chatting, and so why not just use Instagram if someone's there. This is the problem with and this goes back to what I was talking about Apple with the whole FaceTime and you know, an I Message thing is that you think it would be easy, You think that this would work the same way everywhere, but it doesn't. In different parts of the world, people use different apps. So if you're in Asia, a lot of people use line or we Chat. If you're in Europe, it's all about WhatsApp. If you're here in America, it's all about I Message. International is telegram, So you really have to come to where your friends are and me them in the middle. So reach out to the most important people you know that you want to contact on this trip and just kind of assess from there and see what they use. So personally, I've had a lot of good luck with something like telegram with my family because it's just very simple, Like everyone knows that they can reach me on telegram and it's going to work the same no matter what country I'm in, and I've used it all over the place and it has worked really great. The other thing is that Wi Fi calling is super simple to set up and it's free, So as long as you're on a Wi Fi network with your provider, you're good to go. But again you want to toggle that on before you go. And then the only other thing if you want to use a SIM card, an international SIM, I like what Erlo has Ai r Alo a Alo. I've used their e sims in various countries around the world. They've worked almost perfectly everywhere. The other one I'd look into is US Mobile. They have an international e SIM as well now, and theirs is more for like, you know, thirty days. You can buy it for like a little bit more time. I think they have one that lasts like a year. But you can look at US Mobile and again I put all these links on the website. You can go to rich on tech dot TV look for show number twenty three. But that's exciting Berlin fun. It's always a little bit of nervousness when it comes to connectivity in these other countries. But to be honest, the more I've done the international travel in these recent times, the better it has gotten. It is really really gotten much better than when I started traveling to Japan ten years ago, and I literally had zero connectivity for like two days before I was able to figure something out. All right, coming up next, we got a lot more on the show. I'm gonna talk about Minecraft is now available in a new place. We've got United upgrading to four K displays in their in their airplanes, which is incredible, and you can now get grub Hub delivery in a hotel chain. Plus we're going to talk to some students who are inspiring young coders. It's all coming up right here on rich On Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich DeMuro here talking technology. We've been talking a lot of Apple because while their Worldwide Developers Conference happened this week, I was there up in Cooper Tino, and they announced a lot. I mean, they've look at you got to think about the products this company has. You've got the iPhone obviously, which you know so many people use. Then you've got things like the Mac computers. Then you've got the Apple Watch, then you've got the air pods, and of course you know just all the little things that they do. And so I get it's a lot of stuff, but I want you to know what's coming soon to these gadgets that you can plan and think about it and also not be surprised. So let me go over a couple more things. Bounced Watch os ten if you can believe it, the Apple Watch has now been out I Apple Watch. Let me assue when this thing launched. I was there for the launch back in many, many years ago. Let's see twenty fifteen. So you're talking I should I probably should have realized that watch os ten. It's been probably ten years, so almost ten years of the Apple Watch, which is just wild because I remember the first time ever putting it on my wrist and now we're up to number ten. So this is for the operating system, by the way, So the operating system is going to have this thing called smart Stack, which is on the iPhone. So it's a bunch of widgets that you can stack on your watch so that you can flip through important information. And then they've got let's see, the Peanuts comic strip is going to be on Apple Watch. It's funny. I showed my kid a video about all the new features coming soon, and this was the one thing. He was like, wait, what Snoopy on the Apple Watch. That's so cool. I was like, all right, So to each his own. And then they have this new mindfulness feature, which there's already this mindfulness app, but now you can log your emotions and daily moods. So it'll say, hey, how you feel in today, and you can scroll through and say how you're feeling, whether you're feeling good, bad, somewhere in the middle, and then you can select what's having an impact on you. So if you're traveling, if you're stressed out, if it's work, if it's family, significant other, whatever it is, you'll be able to do that track all of that. Of course, it's apples, so they're going to keep everything private, but it's neat because you'll be able to see trends over time. So if you notice that every Friday you're in a bad mood, you can maybe figure out how to alleviate that. In the future. Then AirPods AirPods Pro. This is a feature that's only coming to the second generation AirPods Pro, but I thought this was pretty cool because this is a major problem on the AirPods. So if you have the noise cancelation on and someone starts to talk to you, you literally can't hear them at all, even if they're standing right in front of you. So now there's this new adaptive audio mode that will understand when you start talking to someone that it'll have this conversational awareness, so it'll lower the volume of the music you're listening to or whatever you're listening to, and enhance the voices of the person that is trying to talk to you and reduce background noise. So that's really nice. I mean this literally happened to me on the plane. I was like, ah, I'm sorry, I literally can't hear you. Hold on, let me take this AirPod out and try to talk to you. But that'll be a nice addition. And then Apple is finally admitting that these AirPods don't always automatically switch to the device you're trying to use them with all the time very easily, and so they say there is now automatic switching has gotten better. It will be significantly faster and more reliable, making it seamless to move from a favorite podcast on the iPhone to a work call on the Mac. And so that's gonna be a nice added feature as well, something that I've noticed. You know, I don't even use the AirPods with any sort of zoom calls because I never know if they're going to work or not. Let's see what else do they have here? Oh, a tvOS seventeen. So Apple TV is getting FaceTime, which I've been talking about forever saying how we need FaceTime on Apple TV. Of course, in typical Apple fashion, it's nice, it's gonna be great, but you have to use an iPhone as your camera or an iPad. You can't just plug a regular webcam into the back of your Apple TV. That would make way too much sense. All I want to do is just plug a webcam into the back of the Apple TV, and then when I want to do a FaceTime call or a video chat, I would be able to use that. No, you got to use your phone. So now you get to buy another stand for your iPhone that you can put near your TV and so that you can put your phone as your camera. And I mean, it's fine, it's you already have an iPhone if you have an Apple TV. But it's just one of the things would have been a lot easier, let's see. Oh and by the way, they are going to support some third party apps, so they did specifically mention Zoom and some other apps as well, So it's not going to be just FaceTime, it'll be some other video chatting apps. Oh and this was really interesting. If you have an Apple TV remote that you lost, which is like ninety nine percent of the time in my house, you can use your iPhone to locate your Siri remote. And all these things come with an asterisk, right, A lot of these things you need to have the latest whatever. And the Siri remote is a second generation or later, which is a pretty recent remote, so it's not going to work with all the old Apple TV remotes. But this is this is a great feature because every time I go to sit down to watch TV, I for some reason cannot find the remote control. And I asked the kids and they say, I don't know. I don't know where that went. I said, well, you used it the last time. Where is it? Don't know? And finally United putting four K displays and Bluetooth on its planes. Call screen or Kim said, how dare they My last flight had no screens. Now they're putting four K Come on. Yes, they did a deal with Panasonic to put four K ol ed screens in their aircraft Boeing seven eighty seven in their airbus A three two one xl R. Wow, say that ten times fast. It's also gonna have Bluetooth, so it's gonna be sharp, it's gonna be crisp, it's gonna be clear you'll be able to connect your Bluetooth devices. But here's the deal. It's gonna be in three hundred thousand seats, but probably not the one you're flying on, because this will be in a lot of the the international flights, and it's not coming until twenty twenty five, so four K on United, but you gotta wait a little bit for that one. All right. Well, that's exciting though, because last I was on like a test flight I guess where they had the Bluetooth, and it was really cool because you can just use your bluetoth headphones instead of plugging in. All right, coming up, we are gonna talk to two incredible coding students. This is an inspiring conversation I had up at WWDC. We'll talk to these students coming up next, and then we're going to close out the show. Might have time for one more call at triple eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one rich On Tech. Rich Demiro here, rich On Tech. Welcome back to the show. Coming to you from Cooper Tino. We are at Apple's headquarters just on the cusp of WWDC, and I've got two great guests joining me Yemmy Agason, and Rebecca Wang. Rebecca is a seventeen year old from San Jose. She is a self taught coder, and Yemy is twenty one finishing up his computer science degree at Kennesaus State University. Welcome to the show, Hi Rich, Thank you so. First off, for someone who hasn't been to the Apple campus, just explain how cool it is to visit this place.
Speaker 10: So I have lived here in my entire life, like San Jose twenty minutes from here, but I have never been to Apple Park aside from the visitor center and just going in like it's two mongus, it's a one mile radius run mile like circle, and it's just everything is just huge.
Speaker 1: I had to look up half.
Speaker 6: Of the time.
Speaker 12: This is my second time here, first time inside though, and it was honestly just amazing just to see how green this place is a lot of nature and it's just like like you said, a one mile radio. I was like, wow, like this is a really good campus.
Speaker 1: Now, both of you have a reason for being here, Yeamy, Why don't you explain how you made it to WWDC this year? Oh?
Speaker 12: Yes, So in middle of March they announced the WWC Student challenge, award or challenge, and I essentially like, just you know, this is my final university. I was like, let me go ahead, and like, go ahead and try to work it. Try to submit a challenge to one of the greatest companies I believe. And yeah, so I built a baseball game with Swift and two months later I found out that I won the challenge there and I got invited to WWC.
Speaker 1: And you're a big fan of baseball, yes, but also filmmaking, because you're writing a film now.
Speaker 12: Too, Right, I'm writing a film about a pitcher who, let's say he's struggling in his career and but he finds a pitch that is unhittable.
Speaker 1: And that's you. I'll give right now. I don't want to give away the whole thing. Yeah, exactly. And Rebecca, you you coded some different things here, tell me what you coded. You've done some different hackathons, and you are all about empowering young women interested in a career in technology. How do you do that? Yeah?
Speaker 10: So my app is called Dare to Dream. It aims to empower the next generation of woman tech. It features ten historical and contemporary women, including at Lovelace, doctor Faife Lee and Carly Klass. So back when I started with hackathons, I learned coding straight from hackathons, so it was a very untraditional experience, I would say. So I was like reaching out to people on LinkedIn, learning through YouTube workshops. So even though I was at hackathons, I experienced this like exclusion basically for girls like me new to coding, and we're just like, oh, like, how do we make a team of strangers and build an awesome project within twenty four hours?
Speaker 1: And from then I have like for my.
Speaker 10: Own hackathon for marginalized genders for girls, and then there to dream is actually part of my larger initiative to create a book for empowering young.
Speaker 1: Women in tech. Okay, that's very cool, So tell me about the idea of like explain kind of the idea of coding to someone that doesn't really know what that means. We all use apps, but someone has to make these apps. And what got you interested in the behind the scenes aspect of this.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So my first experience I got into coding was literally through a spam email for a hackthon, and from that I didn't know what a hackathon was, but it was the middle of covid in in the winter of twenty twenty of twenty twenty, So.
Speaker 1: It was good timing because you had a lot of time on your hands, too much time, honestly. But I entered a discord server.
Speaker 10: I was way into white mode at that time, but I spent twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: I stayed up.
Speaker 10: I was so tired, but I worked with a team of girls on financial literacy to go to a website and from there I realized, this is one of the first times I can do social change and connect it to people from all over the world because it's a website and it's accessible, and we can also translate a different languages as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you reach so many people. That's what's incredible about it. Yemmy, what about yourself? Yeah, so I'm interested.
Speaker 12: I see coding as pretty much communicating to a computer. And what got me into is that, like I see myself as an artist, and I feel like with code, I can use that as my medium. You know, the keyboard is my brush, the computer itself is my cannabis, and then you can just kind of create whatever you want. And like I got into it when I was a lot younger in middle school. There was like a computer lab session and we were going to go through this like tutorial about how like to alert the computer to do something, and it literally just took one line of code and it was just so powerful.
Speaker 1: What's your advice to younger people that want to get involved in this because we hear a lot about coding now. Of course we hear about AI taking over some of the aspects of coding. I'd be curious to get your take on that. But do you still think it's something that young people should get interested in? Oh? Yes, definitely. How do you do it? Definitely?
Speaker 12: I believe a lot of people think that coding is just like a lot of math, at a lot of upfront knowledge.
Speaker 1: We have to just memorize things. And it's not any of that.
Speaker 12: It's a lot of just you just got to kind of honestly just do it to get really good at it. And like how I get started today, ifere to start over again, it's just, honestly, just think about something you would want to create and want to build and just kind of break it down and look things up.
Speaker 1: Don't be afraid to look things up.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 12: I definitely don't know that much, but constantly learning and.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Rebecca, how about you, what's your advice?
Speaker 10: I would say, like coding is for everyone. Recently, I think Susan Prescott from Apple, she mentioned that there is a winner who was eighty one years old. So coding is really for everyone, inclusive of all ages, genders, and all backgrounds. So one advice I would have for starting aspiring coders is just like be a sponge, soak up all like the opportunities, reach out to as many people as you can.
Speaker 1: Now I heard you mentioned this eighty one year old, that one that was involved this year. That's incredible. We've got people of different backgrounds. How important do you think it is for people of different backgrounds to come to the table when it comes to coding or apps or all of this stuff.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So, like diversity drives technology, we won't have like diverse data sets diverse like artificial intelligence that could be inclusive to all people if we did have those people at the table. So technology, just like Apple is doing amazingly right now, is to make sure that every voice is heard, valued and amplified.
Speaker 1: And you've lived in a Yemi several different countries, huh, I mean that brings a lot to the table. As well for just knowing how people are in different places. Do you feel like that helps you? It gives you an edge and kind of like the knowledge you have.
Speaker 12: Yes, definitely, I would say one thing I never considered, but as as I've lived in five different countries, five different witch countries, Germany, Belgium, Nigeria, England, and I guess the United States, and in three different states inside the United States. But yes, I would say that, Like, one thing I love about Apple is that when you're coding is that you can localize things, and so a lot of times when you write things, usually in English, you can also localize them, so that way and other countries people can still use the same app while also being.
Speaker 1: There in language. Now, we saw a pretty big announcement this year and it involves the virtual headset, the division pro. So that's a whole other level of coding. I mean, app developers have an entirely new canvas to work for in building apps for this. Does it interest you at all? Oh? Definitely.
Speaker 12: One thing that came to mind is great use of an AR and the vision pro would be to allow people on sports, like referees to basically kind of see and like have a more accurate way of like officiating. And for one of the use cases like who already go off a baseball, is that an umpire can now finally see like a see exactly where the ball went through one not during a ball and strike, and they can now make it a more accurate decision.
Speaker 1: So, Rebecca, any inspiration you drew from that new technology.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So in schools like chromebooks, computers, the presence of iPhones has strattically changed technology and learning into classrooms. So I'm really excited to see how VR implemented in our classrooms and also our workplaces, which change that environment.
Speaker 1: All right, so how can we find some of the work that you guys are doing. Tell folks how to follow you and find you.
Speaker 12: You can follow me on Instagram at Yemmy Box, y E m I Box.
Speaker 10: You can find me on Instagram and Twitter at rb cc A w Ang.
Speaker 1: All right, I want to say thank you to my guests, Yemmy Agason and Rebecca Wang, thanks so much for joining me here today. Thank you, Thank you. We'll have more Rich on Tech coming up right after this. Welcome back to Rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here closing out the show, I've got to say, I'm quite impressed that we pulled this off from such a remote location. That's a testament to the amazing power of technology. So we're in a place where there's not much service of any kind and the fact that we can do a radio show that goes out around the US is pretty incredible. So that is very exciting to me because I was a little nervous that this wouldn't work, but it did. We got a couple more things to talk about. This is happening over in France. So the Senate over there just gave the green light to allow the remote activation of the cameras or microphones on smartphones. And this is a controversial bill, as you might expect, but the Senate authorized it. It will give remote triggering of cameras or telephone microphones in certain investigations without the knowledge of the people concerned, you know, the people whose phone it is. So they also can look at their GEO GPS location without them knowing. So this will be reserved for cases of terrorism, delinquency, and organized crime. But as you might expect, this is a slippery slippery slope. And if we can't trust that our phones are private, it's bad enough that we have these apps that are trying to get as much data as possible about us. But imagine the government being able to just activate your phone or or your camera or your microphone at any time. That is some scary, scary stuff. And I'm not an expert in the US. I know they've got some things like I'm pretty sure they can listen to your phone conversations, but I don't think they can access your camera or mic. That'd be really really concerning to me. Maybe if they have a warrant. But I mean, this is what people do all the time. They hack into these phones, you know, if you're a prominent journalist or government agent somewhere around the world. I mean, that's what all of these security updates are about. They're about software that gets secretly installed in your phone that does allow a third party to monitor what you're doing and what you're saying and where you're going. And that's why it's so important to do the software updates on your phone, because these companies like Apple and Google are constantly working to make sure that this is not a broad possibility. But this is at the government level in France, so that's a whole other can of worms. But if you look on the iPhone and recent androids, they do tell you when your camera is being accessed. There's a little indicator light when your MIC is being accessed. And if you swipe down on your control panel, which on the latest iPhones is from the upper right hand corner, you can see which apps have recently accessed your camera, your MIC, or your location. And so right now I'm seeing that Weather recently accessed my location. So an Android does the same thing. You can even go you can even go into your settings and look under privacy and see all of the apps and exactly what they're accessing. And in general, I always recommend that you never give an app more access than it needs. New way, so don't don't you know the old thing was the flashlight app that people wouldload and they would give every permission possible, Like why does a flashlight app need access to your GPS? It doesn't. They were just collecting a whole bunch of data so they could sell information and sell ads across their platforms against you. So kind of scary. What's happening over there in France, Even if it's for public safety, it's just still like whoo. When you go down that line. I don't know. Minecraft now on the Chromebook. We talked about this a couple months back, how they were testing it. Now it's widely available. You can now purchase Minecraft Bedrock Edition from Google Play on the Chromebook, which gives you access to Minecraft Marketplace and you can play on realms. Your kids probably know what that is. It's available on compatible chromebooks made in the last three years, so all chromebooks in the last three years apparently will work with this. And then there's another list of other compatible chromebooks, so it's not just the last three years. They do have recommended device. Some are going to work better than others. Chromebooks are notoriously underpowered most of the time, so you know, don't expect amazing things from some of the older chromebooks. You can also do cross play on these things, so you can play against friends that are on any other sort of Chrome Minecraft device, Android, Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch, computers. And then here's the deal. So if you buy if you buy Minecraft on chromebook, you can download it for free on your Android device if they're both on the same account. So again, if you buy it on chromebook, you can get it for free on your Android. Now the other way, if you have it already, if you paid for it on Android and you want to on Chromebook, you'll get it for a discounted price. So it kind of like it doesn't go both ways, but it's like, if you have it on Chromebook, you'll get it free on Android. If you have it on Android, you could pay just a little bit more to get it on the Chromebook. Grub Huh and Homewood Suites are teaming up. So I was just talking about this with a friend the other day. How I thought it was so odd. I had this producer we were up in San Francisco and after a long day, you know, what do you do? You go out with the team to like a dinner, right, And this producer was like, now I'm just gonna order Postmates to my room. I said, what, how do you I've never even thought about doing that. Yeah, I do it all the time, no problem. So I of course, now fast forward, you know, five years later, just did this the other day and people do it all the time, but it was so farig to me back then. I was like, wait, what don't you go out for something? And so sure enough, now grubhub is teaming up with Homewood Suites. So what they're doing is they're pretty much just making yes, you can always order Grubhub inside of any hotel or Postmates or you know, Uber Eats or whatever door Dash, but they're making it easier to sort of get your hotel's location on the app and also see which things are recommended. So this will happen at five hundred Homewood Suite locations across the country. You'll be able to order from local restaurants and convenience stores via geolocation, so it will know when you're inside this specific hotel and it will give you the places that it recommends. But there's also a QR code in the hotel, probably in your room you can scan to make it a lot easier, so it already populates with like which hotel you're in your address. All you do do is pop in your room and that'll be really nice and simple. And they're also going to have the hotel location and courier drop off instructions automatically populate at checkout. So people who tried this in the pilot program they loved it because it was much easier. So I just did this the other day I've got this place up in Cooper Tino that I love to order from. It's random. It's called a good salad, but it's just a really good chicken caesar salad that I like to get when I cover Apple events. I just get it delivered to my hotel room, and it's every time, it's really good. But you know, it takes some times. You get to put in your hotel. You got to make sure it's the right hotel, and sometimes you don't know. You're like, wait, is this the address? Is it the right hotel? So it just makes it a lot easier when they sort of build this stuff together and make it a lot simpler to access. All right. Uh finally, oh gosh, do I really want to end on a sad note? Aren't you supposed to end on a happy note? No, I'm you know, I'm not even gonna read that one. I don't want to read that one because it's too it's too sad. So you know what, that's it. We'll just end on that. We'll end on the grubhub in my good memories of this salad, because that's uh, that's I don't want to end on a sad story. Let's see do I have one more question I can do? Oh, Jennifer says, hey, Rich, the voice commands of my car play through Siri have changed, so can I change them to a different voice? Yes, you can change Siri to a different voice. This is much happier. Go into settings, Syrian Voice, Siri Voice, a Syrian Search, and then Siri Voice. You have five variety, a bunch of different varieties to choose from American, Australian, British, Indian, Irish, South African, and then you have different types of voice inside there. So again go into settings Siri and Search and Siri Voice. You can change your voice. All right, that's gonna do it for this episode of the show, number twenty three in the can check out the show notes at richontech dot tv. Send your feedback to hello at richon tech dot tv. I might read it on our next show next week. I'm gonna be taste testing dairy cheese that doesn't require a cow to make. Yes, it's too It's not like the regular vegan cheese out there. They literally figured out how to make cheese without a cow. My name is Rich Dmiro. Thanks so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I do appreciate you spending it right here with me. Thanks to everyone who makes this show possible, Adam Kim, Bill Bobo, and special thanks to the Alisoul ranch here in Solving, California for helping me do this show remotely. Today. You can find me on social media. I am at rich on tech website again rich on tech dot tv. I can't believe we pulled this off in the middle of nowhere. Love you so regular signals, love your Wi Fi. I'm Rich Tomiro. I'll talk to you real soon.
Speaker 11: M