Speaker 1: Worrying. Today's episode contains spoilers for Project Hail Mary, the film, and the book.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: My name is Jason Concepcion and I'm Rosie Knight, and welcome back to x Revision of the podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics, pop culture. Company from My Heart podcast, where we're bringing you three episodes.
Speaker 2: Week plus news. In today's episode, we are going to discuss Project Hail Mary, the hard sci fi epic starring Ryan Gosling. Then Jason will do a deep dive into the hit novel the film was based on written by Andy Ware, who also authored The Martian, which you will hear us talk about a lot today. I presume.
Speaker 1: All right, let's welcome in super producer Ian.
Speaker 2: Hey a, Rosie and Ian.
Speaker 1: You two have seen the film. I have not yet seen the film, but I have read the book. Have you two read the book?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: So I have read the trade information on No.
Speaker 2: We can we do a little booking, A little.
Speaker 1: Booking, and why don't you let's first do a little non spoiler.
Speaker 2: How was the movie? Ian start us off? We were both losing it.
Speaker 3: I really enjoyed it. I really loved it. It's a visually stunning, beautiful, which I'm sure we'll get into a little bit more about the nitty gritty of that. I think Gosling Ryan Gosling's performance was really great, considering especially for a large majority of the film he's like the only person on screen. Yeah, And I think there's a lot of heart and like feel good kind of optimism in the movie, more than I was expecting. So I think it's just like a really like feel good fun watch, visually stunning. I love how hard they leaned into the science of it as well. So yeah, I just really I really enjoyed the movie. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I went in like sort of not really knowing what to expect because I did read the book in the lead up, and I was like, this is a good book, but also like, what is this like on screen? Like and the Andy Wierz definitely, like The Martian is quite a singular movie, and I think this ends up being in a spiritual space with it but also being very singular in the sci fi space because of Weir's insistence on kind of balancing humor and huge steaks. I really love this, Like this definitely tops them at The Martian for me. I think what really makes the movie special is obviously Ryan Gosling. This is that star vehicle. I mean, he's had so many because he's so charming. We all know I loved The fall Guy, but it didn't hit for audiences. This is the most charming everyman Ryan Gosling performance you could imagine. But I think that it wouldn't work without the incredible casting of Sandra Hula, who's kind of his straight woman. Together, the two of them bring this unbelievably weird and beautiful and brilliant kind of heart to this completely in saying story that if you don't know much about it will really take you on a ride, I also want to say this is an incredibly vibey movie. It's definitely more of an amil piece. If you know the book and you know the way that information is revealed in the book. They try in the film to keep some of that mystery, to tell the story as we go with flashbacks, but there is not necessarily a narrative structure or format for the flashbacks in a way that there might be in other films where they want to hold your hand more. Here it's more like we just join Grace, the main character played by Rang Gosling. Whenever he goes back into a memory or learn something, we follow him. So I think for some people, and I think some of the reviews this has got it's great on our tea right now, I think it's ninety five percent, but some of them were more in the three and a half four rather than that this is a masterpiece, and a lot of the reviews that I read in that space were very much like, it kind of just flows, It's kind of just it's like you're spending time with him. It's kind of just vibe. And obviously I love that and it worked for me. But I thought that was a really interesting choice and again makes it feel more unique in the space of a Hollywood blockbuster.
Speaker 1: Shall we go into a spoiler territory? Well, first, do you recommend this movie? I can't wait to see it. I'm very excited.
Speaker 2: Definitely, Oh, this is a top tier recommend. I would say this is like, go see it with as many people as possible, but would also work if you'll just go to your five dollars cinema and just totally vibeb out. We were lucky enough to see it in IMAX. It looked incredible, but I'm sure, any premium format or even just big screen is going to be a really incredible way to see this. And so a little bit more non spoiler that we can talk about Ian just talk a little bit quickly before we get deep into spoiler territory for those who don't want to be spoiled, talk a little bit about that stunning visual landscape that Lord and Miller create, because it is a pretty unbelievable looking movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say, you know, in general, like space movies, a lot of times they they either will kind of show you the starkness of space and the emptiness and that's like kind of visually stunning, or you'll get these beautiful you know, like planet scapes and things like that, and this movie does both of those things really well. And I think also just a lot of the framing inside the ship, the.
Speaker 2: Way coloring the ships to life, the colors.
Speaker 3: The colors, just like it's visually stunning in especially seeing an imax on a giant screen in a way that I think I haven't seen in a while from a space movie, but like it gave me kind of the same feel as gravity when you're watching that movie. So I think if you like gravity, obviously, if you like The Martian, if you're just a fan of space movies in general, you're going I would highly recommend going to see this film.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, it's definitely very whimsical. Like I think my review for Letterbox was like, this is just a movie about two silly billies on a silly adventure. And if you don't like that review, you're probably not gonna like the movie because it has level of whimsy and schmaltz to it. But I do think that you're right to bring up gravity. Your right to bring up I was even gonna write that it was cozy two thousand and one, but I didn't want to get in a fight with a bunch of Kubrick crows. But like, it does have that level of awe that you want to go the same way that I'm sure it was the first time that people saw seventy seven Star Wars on screen for the first time, the real original version with those miniatures, like no effects, like it must have felt life changing. I remember the first time I felt watching Jurassic Park, right, this has those similar moments. There is stuff here that we have never really seen on screen before to this high level there's these kind of garcious planets, these color choices that are so unique. Some of the ships are just completely nothing like we've seen before on a kind of level of cenimal for aliens. And I feel like, even if you're not in for the whimsy and the funniness and the silliness and the low stakes of the personal relationships, I think that it is still going to be one of those movies where people go, you have to see this in the cinema. So if you're just a space lover, I think that is another reason to go and see this movie spoiler free. And now we're going to be spoiler.
Speaker 4: Ing from about the book and the movie, So be one.
Speaker 1: And we're back behind the curtain of spoiler territory. Okay, I want to know. There are certain things I just want to know. Tell us, ask do they do the thing where he eats the hamburgers made of him, set made of his own like meat.
Speaker 2: They do not do that. They keep there is no cloned meat. They go very much into the space of the focus of the bleakness is about how he ended up getting to the planet. And that's your big real shocking reveal, is like he didn't consent, yeah, choice, Like.
Speaker 3: The Martian has that survivalist aspect where he has to figure out how he's going to survive and make food and last for this a long amount of time on Mars. This movie doesn't really The Steaks are not rooted in that survivalist aspect. You're never worried about like is he going to have enough food? In this movie. They don't really go that route.
Speaker 2: This is much more like the mystery of the first act is about him not knowing who he is and why he was there, and.
Speaker 1: Then uncovering him being woken up early in the yeah, and also.
Speaker 2: From being in this coma, and then he discovers that the other people on his ship are dead. And the thing is, again we talk about where they choose to be really gross and when they choose to be less gross, they just go straight in with like scary dead bodies, like they are hollowed faces they are. So it does have that kind of you know when you're a kid and you watch Indiana Jones and you feel like it's like a cozy comfort me and you love it and then you see the guy get melted at the end and you're like, ah, I'm gonna die, I don't want to think about this. This does have a little bit of that potential which I think sci fi needs to have, But yeah, they do not reveal the fact that Grace didn't actually want to go to space until right at the end, and it's kind of his lowest point and it brings this really bleak, scary moment to the film. So that's really their big emotional touch point of like, oh, this is maybe not just a cool, fun space adventure. But they otherwise they are very focused on just like two bros hanging out in space, like doing that, which I.
Speaker 1: Get the two bros aspect of it. The relationship between Rocky and Grace is honestly the most fun of the book. That the book for me, it has a very like Spielbergian like eighties feel in that it's like unapologetically white American guy saves the world the whole world is like, it's got to be a white American. There's no one else to do it right. Who's got the perfect not just like the science ability, but like the moral code, dead rock code to go into SPA. It's gotta be a white American.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna tell you great news, Okay, they they do a really.
Speaker 1: I understand that there are other nations involved in the mission, but they know and the book is completely like un is like, well, luckily the best of them wolved.
Speaker 2: The funny thing is like this is obviously I think actually produced by Amblin if I wasn't mistaken, we saw, you know at the beginning, and I think like the Steven spielbergy and ness is definitely that and obviously Ryan Gosling is a white guy. But what I did really like is they did play up a lot more his infant failings as a molecular biologist and really him be having to be a shithead, like he's a great teacher, but he's like very bitter about his past and science and stuff. That's that's good because that's that's not and that's what's really good is she is basically like and then they find out his ideas are still wrong. Yeah, and he has to basically fight to be on there. So it really they get rid of that sheen of him being the right guy. He's the wrong guy at the Rat's good because that's how it comes across.
Speaker 1: While I enjoyed the book, I enjoyed it with that kind of like you know a little bit of a give me a fucking break, it's gotta be this guy, and.
Speaker 3: I say, just to tack onto that, you know, we also find out, like the reason he's a science teacher is because, like Rosie said, he's disgraced from the scientific community. He has no family, he has no friends. So when they, you know, make the decision that like, you know, we need you to go on this mission because like there's no other options, Like nobody's really gonna you like think about something bigger than yourself anyway, Like they really do set it up as like he's a pretty sad character and he doesn't really have much going for him, like this is his one chance to like contribute something great, and he also is and he was selfish about it.
Speaker 2: Yes, in the moment, he won't do it. He's too scared and they have to kidnap him.
Speaker 1: Yeah that is in the book too, But again, like he's not cool before that. This is my own personal worldview. But it's a little bit like we listen, white Man, I know you don't want to save us and we don't deserve it. Please white Man, save us.
Speaker 2: You make you do it. You know what's really good about this one is like he gets really emotionally terrorized by the decision. So you will love it because one of the great things that they do is Sondra as Eva Strat and she plays it in her usual like iconic kind of emotionally detached but with a little something in there. She builds a very deep friendship with Grace as these two outsiders that we see in the flashbacks where she kind of can't really socialize but no and knows that she has this terrible job which is basically condemning people to death, and Grace is like, why do you do it? And she's like, I've got to do it, and she just thinks he's kind of dumb but hot but like clever. It's like a really good, realistic kind of crush at the end of the world. And then when she betrays him, it's so good and he gets he will get to see him be emotionally terrorized, and you also get to see him admit at the end that he was wrong, because the last thing he says to her is like, I hate to admit it, but like you were right. I can be here. Also, Jason, I would say, interestingly, you've brought up something very interesting here. The whole saving the world aspect very underplayed here. Interesting actually, I mean we know, like at the beginning, his kids are really scared. We talk about the astrophage, we talk about the sun eaters, but it's very minimal and there isn't a huge public acknowledgment. We don't get those usual here's what's happened on the news, the world's falling apart, like kind of disclosure day vibe. Instead, it was more like it's a secret project that only he knows about through this woman who comes to him and says, you should do this, And it's more about the camaraderie between the thirty people who know what's going on and who are gonna die probably. And it's really interesting because now you say it like yeah, at the end he has like sent down the potential kind of predator for astrophage for the story is yes, but it's really again because they're from Taoceti so like, But the funny thing is it's just him dropping them into the ocean in the Antarctic where Eva picks them up on a boat, and there is no huge like Houston, We've done it. It's very unarm again in that way. And it's kind of funny because as you were talking about that, I'm like, yeah, they actually really decented the highness of the steaks even though you still feel it, and it's really about that emotional relationship. And I guess then, Ian, would you say they kind of like a lot of the steaks and or and epic noess, It just comes from those visuals, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say so, yeah, because I do agree they do underplay the like the world is ending vibes of it all. It's just like that's kind of more of like an afterthought or secondary thing. It's really just focusing on the visual spectacles of them in space and the hard science, the experimentation, and they're hypothesizing and theories, you know. I would say that's more and the relationship between Rocky Ye, how did the science land for you? Because I think this was one of those books this is the Martian. I love how central science is to it, and I love the way it it puts the ingenuity and creativity of human beings at the center as a way as like a as a positive good, you know, as like a solution, as a way like that people still know their problems. And it also made me realize like how much I also don't always I don't, I know, you know, like I know the bare minimum. I think as a person who reads a lot about science, so therefore it's like it is kind of magic to me, and there yeah, it approaches a level where I'm just like it it could be fantasy to me. So I guess what I'm asking is like, how do they present the science experiments that Grace spins up in order to kind of like both get the ship going and feed himself?
Speaker 1: Like how much big shorting of the story is there where they're walking you through like handholding the experiments, and how much of it is just you're just watching him science.
Speaker 3: I would say it's more you're just watching him science, But I do feel like, you know, as we know Andy Wears, a tenant of his writing is scientific accuracy. That is something he strives for, and The Martian was hailed as bring as scientifically accurate as you could make that kind of story, and I think they did a similar job here with this movie. But I mean, I think there's like little things like even when he first wakes up and he's still trying to remember who he is, why he's there, and he's doing like quick calculations on a whiteboard to figure out like how long would it take to get back to Earth based on the amount of fuel he has, And you just like immediately realize like, oh, Okay, this guy is really fucking smart. Yeah, he's a scientist.
Speaker 2: They do a good job of making it feel natural to the character. Even the way that he chooses to teach his kids in the class when we get those flashbacks, showcase that he's willing to tell them more. He's willing to be more honest than most adults. He's willing to give them the scientific reason why these things are eating the sun. And actually, as we were kind of talking about it, I realized that I think part of what makes that feel really organic and real in the movie is we've seen how that happens with like climate change. Is everyone does kind of act like it's normal and don't talk about it. It's scary, But like this is just them saying it's gonna happen in thirty years definitively, you know. So it's very interesting in that way. And I think that also establishes that, like in this movie, science kind of is magic because it is gonna save us, but like only about twenty people believe that, and they're kind of the most out there people, so I think that adds an element to it. I would also say my assumption from watching the movie and how many shots they do of the actual whiteboards and of the different you know, formulas that he's coming up with and stuff, I would assume that if you are into science, and if you're into you know, quantum mathematics and all that stuff that I cannot do, I would assume that these are essentially like gonna hold up. You know, there's at least gonna be stuff there where you're like, yeah, that is how you do that. And I will say something that they do that's really funny. In one of the flashbacks that work for me as a kind of science reader but not a science Noah necessarily, they have this great scene when he's first trying to investigating the astrophage and they have all of the foreign dignitaries watching through a window from around the world, and you see like they have no idea what's going on. And then we don't do a good job. They don't try and go exposition exposition exposition, But occasionally there are these interactions where he tells you enough that you think, oh, he really knows, and then you get these moments where he's really excited and they're super bored and asleep. So there's kind of this great conversation about how much can you explain science before it becomes unknowable to your audience? And do is it just funner when we celebrate it when we know it's going right? So I feel like I'm really interested to see some scientist takes because I would love to know if it had kept a similar amount of the same level that we got in The Martian, Which was one of the things I like the most about The Martian was just knowing that scientists were like, this could really, this kind of could happen. I was like, Okay, this is what we need. This is speculative fiction coming to life, you know. So yeah, it's definitely feels like a science heavy film, and I will say what I think feels very powerful right now. It feels like a very pro science film, like science is real, science is important, Science could save the world. But whatever happens, science is good because it's about being curious and being excited. And look at how excited these kids are about science and you know, I love that because right now, obviously we're in a very anti science time, so it feels even though it is a schmaltzy ish kind of blockbuster popcorn movie, there are these elements that make it feel quite subversive, and also the visuals do make it feel like it's pushing the boundaries of what we've seen before in these space movies.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, what I think is interesting about the the way we view science currently is what I loved about this book was that it was about using science to save the planet, to do something that was good, and it was very expensive and it was not clear that the return on investment was going to be there. We don't do big science things, right go to the moon for example, or like whatever, unless there is some military, military, or financial reason. There's a yeah, there's like a there's a reason, like a big reason, and of course, like the sun going out is a big reason. But as we stated like this, I like the way they downplay the threat of it in this YAE because it, I mean, it speaks to I think a more realistic way that something like that would be approached in the real world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: But you know, like we're surrounded by science. The only thing is like what, you know, the dominating science story of the day is how we're using like robots to kill people, and everyone who works at a white college job is not gonna have a and then they have a job in a year because of science. So it's nice to be like to have a story where it's like, we're doing this science thing. It's really expensive, can't tell you what the profit return is going to be, and we're going to do it because it's good, because.
Speaker 2: It's the good thing that we're doing it. And I will.
Speaker 3: I would also say it's a I think that in addition to being very pro science and celebrating intellectualism in a time where that's under attack, I think it's also very like pro collaboration because not only is it you know, the US and Grace and all these other scientists internationally collaborating, but then also Grace and Rocky from two different you know, galaxies collaborating on this common problem. And I think that's throughout the movie, you know, throughout the course of the different experiments and formulations and the thing are trying to figure out, it's just a series of them solving problems together, collaboratively so I think it's also big celebration of just, you know, the collaborative nature of science and how it's iterative and you build upon things that come before and you find new ways to do things together. So I think it's a really big celebration of that as well.
Speaker 2: I think that you're writing in because that, to me is the element that I found so magical. And also in that way, it also does one of my favorite things that fiction has been doing recently, which is kind of this idea of like science and art and magic as all these different kind of interchangeable skills throughout time and history, like in which Italia. To do magic, you just need to know certain art like ruins and things that you would draw and symbols and sigils. And I really loved how so much of this movie because of the language barrier, because of the galaxy barrier between Rocky and Grace, it begins a lot with drawings and puppet shows and these kind of ideas of you know, the ways that people have been communicating to each other for centuries and millennia and everything. It was very moving to me and very well done.
Speaker 1: Let's talk. Let's talk about that because I you know, like the relationship between Rocky and Grace is amazing. It was the one moment and the it was, you know, one of the few moments of the book where in a book grounded in science, I'm like, are we anthropomorphic pomorphizing this rock too much? Like, yeah, I'm just saying, like this rock is, where is this rock from? Like how many light years away?
Speaker 2: Are we? Like?
Speaker 1: Are we humanizing him too much? But at the same time, like absolutely loved it, and I'm not sure there's a way to do this story without doing that. But tell us about Rocky in the relationship.
Speaker 2: Ian, why don't you still because it's really the heart of the movie, Like that they understood. Yes, that reveal is what for a long time made this such a word of mouth hit. This kind of don't tell the secret, don't share the reveal, And even when you know the reveal, the way they build up to it is very well done. And I have to say, at all times, I just one hundred percent believed Yeah, probably Andy Wirn knows that if there was a life form, it wouldn't have a face, and it kind of looked like a rock. It just I totally bore it. So Ian, how did it hit for you as someone who hadn't read the book, I think.
Speaker 3: It felt very real, believable, it landed. It is the emotional core of the film, that relationship between them, and you know, towards the end, without getting too spoilery, there's a moment or two where it's not looking great for Rocky, and like I was genuinely like distressed, and I was like, oh my God, like, I hope this rock is gonna be okay. And so I feel like that's a testament to how effective the performance was. But I also think the fact that Rocky was a puppet and with a little bit of VFX on top, and the fact that Ryan had someone to actually act across from and wasn't just staring at a tennis ball and all these scenes, I think that elevated the performance and made it feel more real and palpable, that the chemistry and relationship between them. So I really loved it. And to Rosie's point too, I think, yeah, he's essentially a talking rock, but I think it makes sense if you think about, you know, what life would look like from another galaxy.
Speaker 2: He's done in the movie, Jason, He's not gonna look like I will say in that way, they've done something again that I think the well I think they've done in this movie that I think is being underplayed. In my opinion, I think people are spoiled because we have so much incredible sci fi, especially with like you know, being blessed in a world where we have Apple making things like Severance, but they're also making these grand, epic scale adaptations of Asimov and shit like they we need to understand that there is still stuff that we haven't seen on screen, even though we watch a lot of stuff on screen, and there are things in this movie that I have never seen the way that they bring to life one Rocky, we haven't actually these kind of like spiderish, but we haven't really seen an alien like that. It's not a genomorph level reimagining, but it's still not a little gray Man, you know. It is different. But the real thing here that I think I have never seen before that really just kept stunning me and made me think a lot of kids on a lot of drugs are gonna watch this movie over the years is like Rocky's Ship. The way they bring to life this notion of a ship that is essentially, you know, sort of filled with light because it's completely woven together. It looks unbelievable, Jason, Like, it doesn't look how I imagined it, but it looks better. And they constantly play with the light, and they constantly play with the rainbows, and they make you feel like you're seeing something you haven't seen before. And I think in a lot of science fiction and speculative fiction, iron ground it, and this is grounded in science. But I would assume that if I've read about the potential of an alien ship, they would probably be based on something like this. This idea of a new element that we get here with Zenna Night, where it's xeon gas that's been turned into this kind of three D printed material almost. It's such a great invention because it makes the puppet shows the way that they interact with each other. You still have this very high tech, shiny thing at the center of it, because that is what Rocky is using to make these kind of gifts to Grace, and yeah, it is so good. We also get this really fun moment, but I think they don't play too long, which I totally get, but is really fun, where Grace runs away when he first sees that there's another ship, and I just love that that is his like human survival and stinc He's like, no, don't need to know, Like it doesn't matter. It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. And also I'm going to tell you something else they do that is very different, not different from the book, where it is different from the book emotionally, so at the end, you know, the big choice he makes where it's like it's like he has to go and save the Iridians or they'll all be dead, but they play it much more into being save Rocky, like that's his only consideration. Like he he decides he's going back. He doesn't have anyone on Earth, and he's like, I can either get back to Earth myself or because he realizes that Rocky is, you know, his the the Talmiba that they have found is can eat zena nite because they've raised it in these Xenonite kind of carriers and it evolved around it. And he goes back and it is like the biggest emotional moment and it makes the end hit so much better because like the funniest thing about it is in the book, they're like, he does this to be a hero in this They're like he's like fuck going back to Earth. I love Rocky. And then in the end he's just chilling on Iridian, like teaching all these little kids science, these Aridian aliens, and you're like, this man is in the place he's meant to be, Like this is not a compromise. And that is kind of amazing too, because again it kind of subverts the notion of like you go home and you're a hero and everyone's cheering for you, and instead it's like you go out to space and you realize that you just like really want to hang out with a rock alien for the rest of your life. So you do it, and it's just like and now you're still teaching, like yeah, you're living life. It's just a real feel good movie, but also like a very weird movie in a way.
Speaker 1: I want to grease. I mean, in the book I Wanted Grace when he sends the data back, to send the data back with like a five minute fuck you, he.
Speaker 3: Kind of does do that in this film a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. They do a really good like they do a video diary that he sends back, and he definitely is like shading her a little bit. But also they are trying to fuck the whole way through the movie, and so there's definitely still some sexual tension in the movie, like it's it's never they don't even kiss, there's no romance, but the connection that these two weirdos have. He can't fully beef her, but he does shade her a little bit and then admit she was right to send him.
Speaker 3: But yeah, because like earlier in the movie when they're trying to recruit him and he's like, I'm just a science teacher, Like I don't know, They're like, you're you're smart, you'll figure it out. We believe in you. And then so at the end when he sends the proback with his video diary, he's like explaining everything they discovered and he's like, I hope that makes sense, and you guys can solve the problem, but if not, you're smart, you'll figure it out.
Speaker 2: And then hangs out just like bye.
Speaker 3: And so I think that was a nice little callback and like him just being like, you know, I'm good, you guys, this is your problem. Now I'm gonna yeah, held my rock home.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna live on my rock planet, which, by the way, I cured of astrophage with my bro so my good luck to you now. So I'm very interested Jason to catch up with you maybe on like a news episode or something and see what you think about it with the.
Speaker 1: Change from you and really excited.
Speaker 2: Oh. Joel asked a great question to Ian, what do you think about we now? Have you know? Gosling here much more what people would presume to be traditional lead compared to your uh Matt Damon in The Martian, who I feel like was more in that born action survivalist space. How did it work for you? For me? I'm definitely more of a Gosling head. I like the charm, I like the coziness, the whimsical nature of this movie. How did the two compare for you when you're looking at these movies as leads?
Speaker 3: I think this is probably going to be an unpoppular opinion, but I think they're both amazing performances. I think Ryan Gosling does an amazing job in this movie. But I think Matt Damon, just for me as a lead, has a little bit more juice, yeah, a little bit more charisma. I think the kind of like dry humor that Matt Damon brings to I think I just personally like that a little bit more. Ryan Gosling is funny in this movie. It's a lot of heart, but it's goofy. It's a lot of it's goofy. It's very goofy, and I think a little more earnest in a way that some people might find like corny. But yeah, I still think is a great performance. But I think for me, if I'm comparing the two, I do think I like Damon's performance in The Martian a little bit more. But that's just me personally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm I like both of them for different reasons, but this is definitely like a preferred version of Andy Weir for me. So Gosling works really well. I will say, what is very funny that does connect the two of them is they are peak Like when you're watching him, you are like, this is just Ryan Gosling or this is Matt Damon, Like they are that level of casting. So it's kind of funny because you're just watching them. This works for me really well because some of the stuff that I think is really fun here that you know, we've seen it before in like Moon or something. You know we've seen Sam Rockwell kind of dancing around a spaceship or whatever, but Gosling's goofiness here it really I think makes Grace at an in character in a way that he's not if you're not a very smart scientist. Because when he's just like hanging out on the you know, ship, and he's drinking vodka and he's got three hats on and a pair of sunglasses, like, you're like, yeah, that's probably what I do if I woke up out of a coma. Like he acts this kind of everyman goofy silliness that makes I think for people who probably are good at science, or people who just love the dream big, you sort of go, oh, maybe I could survive, you know, like maybe there's a way I could find. Maybe I'd make friends with the robot and he would just help I mean, I'd make friends with Rocky and he'd help me because I'm just nice to him, Like he'd help me know of the science or whatever. Like So, I think it adds a relatability that I can sometimes find is lacking from these kind of space movies because often they are about and this is part of it. It's like a competency fantasy, right, and this movie is a competency fantasy. It's imagine if the government was doing good shit and that a guy, a powerful white guy went to space and did something good. Like we love a competency fantasy. I is so popular.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why I love Michael mann movies exactly. The criminal perspective is like I like watching movies about people who are good at doing things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say to like kind of follow up on your point, Rosie. At no point in The Martian do you ever think like Matt Damon doesn't know what he's doing or isn't going to figure it out. He's like he is that dude. And then versus Gosling in this movie, like he makes it very clear. It's like I'm just a science teacher, like I'm not an astronaut, like, and he's very much like you. He's smart, but you like also realize he's figuring it out on the fly, and he very much feels like he has like imposter syndrome kind of vibe. So like, I think that is kind of the biggest difference between the two portrayals.
Speaker 2: That's such a great point, Ian, and I think that that is definitely this is my this is my I've been overtaked by the oscars, right, So this is where I this is my discourse theory. I think that some people are gonna love it and it's gonna be like optimism, but then it's gonna get dragged for being like hope core. And then I think other people are gonna be like it's too whimsical. It's like it's it's too much, like it's too silly. And I think those are gonna be like the two kind of lit like lines, which I think is funny because like it's just a movie. Guys just enjoyed a movie. It's got some cool stuff to say, but also it's just like a crazy action blockbuster. So actually, speaking on that ian where we have quite different where do you feel like this could go box office wise? Because I know we were talking about this. I think it's a mystery to me. It could be like a huge flot or it could be a billion dollar movie, depending on where the public stomach for a hopeful, optimistic, competency fantasy about like the government saving the world can go, which I feel like right now could go either way.
Speaker 3: That's tough. I don't know. I think just based on like kind of the current landscape, the only things that seem to be really doing big numbers right now are like animated movie.
Speaker 2: It's true. We loves we love animate and.
Speaker 3: I know, like just comparing this to The Martian, Like The Martian had a budget of I believe around one hundred million, one hundred and eight million. It did like six thirty at the box office. This one has a budget of two hundred and forty eight million. Obviously, I know a different time. Movie industry has changed.
Speaker 2: Time because I loved your point that you would when we were doing pre production. You made some really great notes talk a little bit about why a movie like The Martian that costs that much could make that much back then, and how that's kind of changed.
Speaker 3: Well, that movie came out in twenty fifteen, so that was ten years ago, pre COVID. People's you know, movie watching and theater going habits were very different back then compared to now. I think movies were also probably a little bit cheaper.
Speaker 2: To make back then, and cheaper to go see.
Speaker 3: Cheaper to go see all of it. So I think that and Matt Damon is a huge star. You know, it was very much a Matt Damon star vehicle, So I think that kind of makes sense why it performed so well, I just don't think movies are performing the same way in our current landscape, and the budget for this movie was considerably larger, So I think.
Speaker 2: Also that was like a time when a movie could really break out like an original movie, even if it was adapted from a book, you know, if it wasn't like a franchise or ongoing already established Hollywood ipee. Like this was that era where we're always like the mid budget thriller, it could still do it, you know. This was the end of that era. So I do think I do think that you're right. I think The Martian was kind of it was almost like an everywhere, everything all at once of its time where it just kept playing and kept making money where But I do, yeah, I agree with you. I don't know where this goes. I think it could top out at like three hundred or something.
Speaker 5: Saying for them, I will say my positive hope will take is that this is a movie that made a whole movie theater laugh.
Speaker 2: We saw early fan screening. People had bought tickets. Now, it wasn't sold out, which I do think is always slightly a worry, but they did have a lot of them, and their reactions were good. I feel like everyone was enjoying the movie happy, and I'm hoping that this can be a little bit of like a Sinner's Light. It is not sinners like culturally or politically or even just like achievement wise visually, but it is a really great cinema experience that could drive people back into the movie theaters more than once. And I'm hoping that that is the takeaway from this. And I think that because of how good the casting is, even of the side characters, me and I him both got super HYPESO did Nick. When we saw Millana van Trump. We didn't know she was in this movie as one of the scientists, so like we, they just have and the Sandra Hilla Ryan chemistry is so good and the rocky stuff is so good, and the way that it nods to the past. We get a little close encounters nod when they first meet with some tapping and some music like but it's not that meta Sean Levy level of everything is a reference. I feel like it has an old timiness and I think Ryan Gosling brings us to He's got an old time Hollywood charm. I think that it brings an old timey kind of amblin esque sci fi magic that we haven't necessarily seen in a movie that could be for families for a while. That's not like And it looks so much better than our usual mcusque versions of the planet that we've seen before, which is weird because me and Ian were talking about this. This movie apparently has zero green screen shots, which means a lot of it must have been done via volume or projection and massive screenwork and stuff. But it does not look like a Man in the West quantummania, Like this looks like you're in space, like you would believe it if they said, oh, you know, we somehow were projecting real things from space, and it looks different to the space we've seen before because of Andy Wier's you know, love of science, and because of what the movie makers were trying to do. So I'm hoping it breaks out, but it feels like if it breaks out, that's the lesser chance for me. I feel like I want it to be the big breakout, but I feel like if it makes three hundred four hundred, that's gonna be a big win. Amazon makes movies as a lost leader essentially, but this does it. It's Amazon MGM Studios so you know, it's gonna have this the actual cool release. It's gonna hopefully be able to stay in this as for a while. Like I'm I'm willing good things for this movie.
Speaker 3: But to your point, Rosie, actually the fact that there is allegedly zero green screen, and you know there's the puppetry and everything in a lot of practical sets that may have also contributed to the movie being a little bit more expensive. But I think this is a question I was thinking about. If this movie is successful, do you think this will kind of create a trend of shifting back towards doing more practical effects and miniatures and puppets, because we all know that looks better. It just looks better, but it's it's more expensive and time consuming, and that's why studios have shied away from it. But if the end result is worth it and it makes enough money to be, you know, worth it, do you think we'll start seeing more of that?
Speaker 2: Manfully, I love this hope, and I would hope that was the case. I think it will be like anything positive in America is going to be incremental. But I do think if this, if this movie made like seven hundred billion, do I think that that MCU would suddenly be like, well, in doomsday, you know, we have a lockjaw puppet that we're really excited for people to see, Like probably the same way that Sinners started making people want to release stuff on different you know, sixty five mil imax. DNI used an imax for the first time on June three. He was talking about the launch I went through the other day, so like, I do feel like it's it would incrementally, hopefully push us back in the direction away from AI, back towards the notion of what does human imagination look like. I've seen a lot of really incredible conversation recently of people sharing old from the thirties and forties Disney animated segments from like Sleeping Beauty or Cinderella. I think specifically the Cinderella sequence with her and that her own reflection is in the bubble, and so many kids have been sharing it going, oh my god, this is the kind of stuff I imagined as a kid, Like the fact you could bring that out in real life just with a pen and pay. But I think we could be in a good nostalgic turn back, which has been happening with Vinyl with physical cameras, digital cameras, stuff like that, But I would love I think it would be incremental, but I do think it would make an impact because money talks, and we know that the CG kind of industry, that the way they've been using the VFX industry is not sustainable and has not been really working out for them either. So I would really love to see something like that, but I don't know for sure. Jason as a book reader, after this conversation, if somebody stayed for the spoilers, what are you most excited about? Now you're gonna go see it? Like did anything that we talked about kind of surprise.
Speaker 1: The visual splendor of this film, like to compare it to something like two thousand and one, which I think is a movie that after fifty sixty years sixty.
Speaker 2: I still go see it whenever it's on at the cinema. That looks good as hell.
Speaker 1: Absolutely stands up to anything that you will see today or will ever see. And so from that perspective, I'm super excited. You know, Lord Miller, it's their first live action direction since I think like twenty one Jump.
Speaker 2: Street that makes so much sense, and I'm gonna lie for that animation in a big way like this is.
Speaker 1: That's important. And so when you start talking about films like two thousand and one, the potential that this film could influence, you know, cinematic language going forward is not something that I necessarily had on my.
Speaker 3: Project.
Speaker 1: Hel Mary Bingo card for the adaptation. So that is something that I'm super super excited about seeing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't wait tell your thoughts about it. Ian, Thank you so much for come and see the movie China with us.
Speaker 1: On the next week's episodes of Extra Vision, it's news and we draft a team of fictional characters who we think can take down Homeland or as we prepare for the final Sea of the Boys.
Speaker 4: Oh you're not ready for that episode, guys.
Speaker 1: For this episode, thanks for listening. Who Right? X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abuza par.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan.
Speaker 1: And Faye wag Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi our discord moderator,