Speaker 1: Is this a great game or what with the Hall of Famer Tim Kirkshin, I'm his son, Jeff Kirkshin, And Dad, you clearly did not let me know that we were going to be wearing suits on today's episode. All right, Jo and I are both usually wearing the same quarterzip.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Well, now I've got a backwards hat and you're in a suit, right.
Speaker 2: And my shirt is on properly, which I'm happy to report oud of you. We'll get to this in the takeaways. But I came straight from something we're doing on YouTube called The Sports Reporters with Jeremy Shapp and Howard Bryant and Doug Lanville myself, and we kicked around the Hall of Fame voting that from the Special Committee on Sunday, and I had to get dressed up for that, and then I went straight from that to trying to clean up the house as we are preparing for Christmas. With everything, I didn't even have time to take my tie off. So I did all this work with my tie on, and now we're doing the podcast. So no worries here. Jeff, I'm sorry I've outdressed you, but that is standard anyway. Correct.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean definitely standard. You definitely outdressed me on this show. But I want everybody to know that growing up with a dad who could do TV from his office, the amount of times I've seen you in a shirt and tie and jacket and khaki shorts making breakfast before I go to school, or sending us off for the day, or whatever it might be, this is a very common occurrence in our household.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Jeff, back when, back when we moved to the new house down the street, I kept our rider mower and I used to mow our lawn and then I would drive the rideror mower down the street and mow Nana and pops lawn. But since I was always doing TV every morning, because there were like ten shows and ten hits, I got more hits than ty Cob on a daily basis, I would often just leave my coat and tie on or my tied shirt on and drive down the street on the Ryder mower and mowed Nana Pop's lawn. And you're too young to remember Green Acres, but that's what Oliver Wendell Douglas did. In the ridiculous beginning of that He's driving a tractor around while he's wearing a coat and tie, so I'm sure I looked a lot like Eddie Albert from The Great Green Acre Show, very underrated of the sixties.
Speaker 1: Well, my mom, your wife made you give up mowing the lawn, so no lawn mowing will be done in a suit, said Tim, We're gonna start hiring somebody. You don't have the time or to worry about that, And she kind of looked at that as a birthday gift to you, even though it was something you didn't want to give up. But speaking of your birthday, your birthday's tomorrow, dad, your last day of being sixty eight years old.
Speaker 2: That's right, December the tenth. It's a birthday I share with Emily Dickinson, which is pretty cool, one of the great poets of all time. Also, I share with Carlos Rodan and Nestor Cortes, both of whom were in the Yankees rotation at the same time. And I saw Carlos Rodin during the playoffs and he walked by, and I was talking to Aaron Boone and I said to Booty, you know, Carlos and I share the same birthday, and Booney looks at me and he goes, yeah, fifty years apart. Thanks Booty, I really appreciate it. And we watched the Bills against the Bengals at your brother in law, Mark Keenahan Kelly's house the other day, and Joe Burrow, quarterback for the Bengals, also born December the tenth, and we had a debate who's more handsome, kind of in the rugged sense of it, Joe Burrow or me? And to my surprise, I lost, but I thought I might that one.
Speaker 1: He I don't know. The girls love Jef.
Speaker 2: It was a joke. Joe Burrow is really him?
Speaker 1: Well, might you know another person born on December tenth is the very famous Melville Dewey. You might give him a run for his money. Do you know Melville Melville Dewey Dad? Uh No, Well, he was born in eighteen fifty one and he was the creator of the Dewey decimal system.
Speaker 2: So uh really you might.
Speaker 1: Have him beat. But you both are probably equally as nerdy as each other.
Speaker 2: And we're the same age tomorrow too. Never mind. Yeah, so I'm very excited about uh no. And because of Joe Austeremeier, one of our best listeners in and he sends in a lot of great stuff. He suggested that we do a podcast a Team tim on the players who share the same birthday, much like I share the same birthday with Carlos Rodon and with Nestra Cortes, among others. So later on in the podcast, we'll have the team tim with shared birthdays at each position from some famous players. I enjoyed putting it together, and it was Joe's idea. He gave it to me. I stole it from him.
Speaker 1: Dad over the weekend. So we just moved into a new house and we have been chomping at the bit to entertain. This is what my wife and I love to do so so much, and in our new house. It's a big part of the reason why why we built this house was because we wanted to have a more entertaining space. And we had a Christmas cookie decorating party Dad with let's see, eight adults and five kids, right And I'll tell you right now if I I mean that party was five days ago and I'm still finding little piece of little sprinkles on the floor and we cleaned up really and I still across the entire first floor and seeing glitter and sprinkles and it was a mess. It was so fun, but it was a messy.
Speaker 2: I can imagine it, speaking of a mess. We just put our as I just told you, all of our Christmas stuff up today, a bunch of trees, and even though they're fake here and there, we've got pine needles all over the house now. So I have to, among many things today, vacuum the entire second and third floor of our house because it's just filled with stuff that has been pouring all over the place from the Christmas stuff. But our tree looks great. I told you, Jeff, we bought a fake tree last year, first time we've ever had a fake tree, and it was so big that I am too incompetent and too small to put it together. So we had to pay somebody. We had to pay somebody to put our tree up in our house. It's a tree that's roughly the size of one you would see in the set of Montgomery Mall. Okay, it's way too big for our house, but it's a great tree. And it took those guys last year, two kind of tree experts, two hours to put it up. So this morning the tree guys had to come back. They sent three people and they put that tree up in ten minutes, Jef, ten minutes, not two hours. I walked downstairs from doing you know the what I was telling you the sports reporters, and banged the tree is already done. I was so happy that it didn't take two hours.
Speaker 1: Well, if it took them two hours to do it last year, you would have had to start on Labor Day to get it up. And if you did it by yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would have been a disaster if I attempted that, because, as you know, I'm terrible with my great hands, Yef, I'm terrible with my hands when it comes to building anything. You have great hands. I don't know where they came from, but God bless you, Jeff.
Speaker 1: I came from Uncle Matt, your brother.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I was pretty good at this. Mom is she is at the moment putting the rest of the finishing. I bring all the stuff up, I put it all where it belongs, and then Mom comes along with, you know, with the creative finishing touch.
Speaker 1: She jushes it. That's her favorite word this time of year. Just a little there, little there. I don't know if you saw, but she's also she texted me. She texted me asking about a new rug in her living room. She thinks the rug in the living room is too small. She wants to get a bigger one and texted me a picture of a rug. And I'm just here to tell you, Dad, I couldn't care less about what the rug look. I don't have That's not my thing. But on the text was my wife Emily, and she is like, oh, beautiful colors, and this is great so they can discuss that.
Speaker 2: She asked me about the rug too, And of course I was absolutely no help on this because I'm so bad at so many things. But it comes to home decorating and then cleans up everything and gets everything in it in its place. But mom and just swings through and makes it all great. Our house is going to look so good for Christmas. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And not only do you not care about rugs, you don't care to cut a rug either. Not a great dancer over there, You're working on its.
Speaker 2: Worst dancer ever. Okay, Jeff. Please.
Speaker 1: The big news of the week, obviously Sunday night, we had another Major League baseball player announced to be on the ballot for the twenty twenty six Cooperstown National Baseball Hall of Fame. This is very exciting news.
Speaker 2: Right, So Jeff Kent made it to the Hall of Fame, and I'm gonna I'm going to try not to be critical of anyone because this has nothing to do with anything. But on this Sports Reporters thing that we did, Jeremy Shaff, doug Landbill Howard Bryant and myself, we had the best time. It was I thought a really interesting interview. We had fun doing it. But the last question that we were asked, and we went about a half an hour, was Okay, Jeff Kent got into the Hall of Fame. That was the last question. Now, because Jeff, there's a point to be made here, and I don't want to be difficult or critical, but the last twenty years, Jeff, more often than not, we talk about who doesn't get in the Hall of Fame rather than who gets in the Hall of Fame. And that's always troubled me. We should first be celebrating that Jeff Kent got in the Hall of Fame, whether you believe it he should be or not. And again I voted for Jeff Kent every year. But on this Sports Reporters thing we did, which ran on YouTube, we talked, of course about Clemens and Bonds first because they didn't even get five votes, Jeff, which means they're not up for this ballot three years from now, because you have to get at least five votes. They will be up for one in thirty thirty two. But if they don't get five votes on granted, things could change, you know, the voting procedure could change, But if the same procedure is in place and they don't get five votes in twenty thirty two, then they will be off all of those ballots. So it was that's what we talked about. And then of course Bonds and Clemens always turned into Pete Rose. So that's mostly what we talked about instead of maybe Jeff Kent getting in and what the ballot was like. It's the point is, Jeff, it was a really difficult process. We went over this last week. Jet look at those eight guys on the list. I could make a case for seven of them being Hall of Famers, and only one of them got in, and he was the only one to really get close. Carlos stel Gotto got nine votes out of sixteen you need twelve, Okay. Don Mattingly and Dale Murphy got six votes each. They missed by six votes. That's a lot to miss by when you got to get twelve out of sixteen. So it just shows you again how difficult it is to get a seventy five percent vote. So when you looked at this, Jef, what was your overall thought?
Speaker 1: Well, number one thought was I'm so glad to have the second Jeff in history join the Hall of Fame. We've got Jeff Bagwell and Jeff Kent. Only two Jeffs in the Hall of Fame. There are now I match you, Dad, because there are only two Tims in the Hall of Fame, Tim Rains and Tim Keith Right, two Tims and two Jeffs in the Hall of Fame. So now unfortunately there is Tim Kirkchin in the Hall of Fame on the side for the writers. So I kind of lose this argument when it says who has more Hall of Famers When you yourself have been honored by the National Baseball Hall of Fame, don't don't give me that look, don't be humble. Just let me say that I'm proud of you and that you're amazing and you deserve There are.
Speaker 2: Two Tims in the Hall of Fame, and there are two Jeff's in the Hall of Fame and you looked it up. Is that correct?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I was not going to get Tim Keith honestly, Jeff. I think he was inducted sixty five years ago.
Speaker 2: Jeff, I'm so proud of you for even looking that up. You're starting to think like me, although I've warned you many times that it's not healthy to start to think like me because I'm not always thinking about the right thing. Jeff. You know, the team Tims have really thrown me off for this last two years. I just feel I got to come up with something every But that's good, Jeff. You got two Tims, so what else surprives anything else? All right, let's get the Bonds and Clemens since we have to do that. Yeah, last week, just give me your thoughts on Bonds and Clemens getting fewer than five out of sixteen votes when twelve are needed sixteen votes, they got fewer than five. What are your thoughts on that?
Speaker 1: Well? I kind of said this last week, and I took a little flak, as noted, But I think that something that's going to be hard to ignore one day is the fact that there are question marks surrounding players in the late eighties to mid two thousands, and there always will be players that are in the Hall of Fame have been questioned, right, And so I think at some point, if you walk through the museum, you will see Pete Rose, you will see Alex Rodriguez, you will see Roger Clemens, you will see Barry Bonds, all across the Hall of Fame, just not in the Black Room. So they're being honored, they're in there, so to speak, they're just not in the Hall of Fame, if that makes sense. But I think one day we're just going to have have to have another special convening of the minds because my generation grew up with these players as our heroes. I was born in nineteen ninety three, so the earliest I can genuinely remember baseball genuinely is like the Yankees of the late nineties winning some World Series. Right, How old was I at the World Let's see what year was that, Tino Martinez.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were like five years old.
Speaker 1: It was five, right, And that's my first true memory of baseball. And then you go into Mark McGuire, you go into Sammy So's, so you go into Barry Bonds. Barry Bonds You've said it on the podcast, so I feel comfortable saying this is arguably the greatest position player of all time by the statistics. Right.
Speaker 2: No, what I've told you before, Jeff is he's the greatest hitter I've ever seen. We have to we have to throw out everything else, and we know what we're talking about there. He's the greatest hitter I've ever seen. And if you're asking who are the three greatest hitters of all time? For me, this is my list, nobody else's. It's not right. It's mine, Babe, Ruth, Ted Williams, Barry Bonds. That's it. That's the list, that's the order. Barry Bonds is not the greatest position player ever because as great a defender as he was, Willie Mays was even a better defender than Barry Bonds was. And that's why I would put Willie Mays ahead of him, in part because Willie Mays apparently did it in a cleaner way than certainly a clean way, but cleaner way than Barry Bonds.
Speaker 1: So, and I just think there's going to be a time, Dad where writers of my generation. So I'm thirty two now, so we'll have to be patient. We'll just say we're having a special convening of you know, this new group of writers, and we're going to address the steroid Era. We're not going to call it the you know Veterans Committee or anything. It's gonna be the Steroid Era Committee. And we're going to say we let them all in, and we let none of them, and what are we doing now? And I think it's just going to happen, and it's going to be a long time from now, ten twenty years, but we have this conversation every year. Eventually they're going to get in now. That's my firm belief. Whether they want to. A lot of them have said, like, I don't really care. I've kind of lost my hope on that. And whether they're around or not, they're going to be in evention.
Speaker 2: Well, Jeff, we need a nationwide conversation about this. What do we do because this really thorny, difficult, controversial problem has been flipped into the lapse of the writers and people say, you guys, figure this out. Well, we're the first to tell you we're not good enough to figure this out. Neither is any other group out there. I'm very proud of the work that the Baseball writers does. But it's really hard to look at your ballt these days and figure out what to do because I'm not comfortable being the moral arbiture on all things. But that's what you have to be among many other things. So, and you know, Jeff, getting back to the whole character clause. You know, as far as character goes, Don Mattingly and Dale Murphy are like at the top of my list of all the guys that I've covered over the years, I'm not sure I've ever met two guys who cared more about playing the game properly, carrying themselves and conducting themselves the right way. Their numbers are really good, but I don't think in either case they're one hundred percent Hall of Fame numbers. But if the character clause works against certain people, why can't it work for certain people? That was part of the discussion we had today on the sports reporters. And when you hear that jet, what as a young person do you think.
Speaker 1: This is the worldwide debate, especially in the age of social media. Dad, You know, you see players all the time who say, I didn't sign up to be you know, anybody's hero. I signed up to play basketball or baseball or football or whatever. But then you see guys like Shaquille O'Neil. I think Shaquille O'Neil is a great example of for some arguably the greatest center of all time. Maybe I don't know. I don't wanna talk basketball because it's not my field of expertise, but he was a menace out there on the court. He was scary. Nobody wanted to guard Shack. But he's also like the greatest guy off the court when it comes to still to this day, going into walmart in buying bikes for kids or engagement rings for young men who they see in the Jeweys Shore.
Speaker 2: I mean, these.
Speaker 1: Videos are documents, and he knows this is part of his gig. He says, this is I'm famous, and these are things I have to do. This is part of the deal when you become an NBA player, And he preaches that about our players every day, and I do think they owe something and I think character, Dad, you're right, should count in a way. And I'm not gonna listen any names, but I know because I ask you privately, because this was one of my favorite questions to ask you as a kid, was, Hey, this is he a nice guy. But as a kid, that meant something to me. And when you would tell me a player was maybe not the nicest guy out there, that would make me feel differently about the player. And I think it should. And when you talk about you know, Don Mattingly and you're like, he's one of the best guys in the league, I think that should count in his favor. And there's no doubt about that. Dad, There's no doubt that this should count in people's favor.
Speaker 2: Well, Jeah, And it shouldn't just count for a child like you were, It should count for adults also. But if you know, never forget. Jim Dwyer, who I covered with the Orioles, once famously said, you know, heaven is for good people. The Hall of Fame is for baseball players. And he didn't mean it. He didn't mean it like all baseball players are bad or good, or everyone who goes to Heaven is good all that stuff. He was just trying to make a point that there's some bad guys who made it to the Hall of Fame, and this is what we have to deal with as voters, and it's a very difficult process. No sympathy required. I have friends of mine who have given up their vote because they don't want to deal with this. They don't feel comfortable dealing with this, they feel hypocritical dealing with this. I'm not giving up my vote because it's that important to me, But I will tell you I encourage anyone to sit down with a Hall of Fame ballot. Sit down with that ballot that those guys had to look at the other day. Eight guys, and you only get three votes, Jef. That three votes is really hard to figure out. And that's why only Jeff Kent got in. But Jeff Kent. Jeff again, most home runs ever buy a second basement, most RBIs ever buy a second baseman. And his slugging percentage was five hundred. Jeff. The only other second basement in history who had a career on base percentage I mean slugging percentage of five hundred is Rogers Hornsby, who is, at least for me, the greatest second basement of all times. So that's why I voted for Jeff Ken. I think he was a better defensive player that people gave him credit for, but it just for some people, it's just odd that he was on the same team with Barry Bonds and Jeff kenson the Hall of Fame at Barry Bonds. Is that bothers some people? And I certainly understand that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Dad, it's sad too because Jeff Ken as many as home runs as he hit as the second baseman, he's still not the home run leader. Last name K which, if I'm not mistaken, is that Harmon Killerbrew it is?
Speaker 2: It's kay, Yes, Jeff, you're doing really well here.
Speaker 1: And wait, hold on, is Carlos stel Gatto D?
Speaker 2: Yes, Carlos stell Gotto is D And.
Speaker 1: He was up on the ballot and he didn't get enough votes. But we need to get more of these alphabetic alphabetical leaders into the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Day right, right again. Carlos Stelgatto might have been the guy who missed out on having four spots that you're allowed to vote for because he got nine votes. He missed by three. Maybe if you could have voted for four, Carlos Delgado will be in. There are enough people who believe Carlos Delgado is the best clean player not in the Hall of Fame. And we talked about this last week, Jeb. But I think it's important these special committees are designed for people such as Carlos Delgado, who is only time on the Writer's ballot. He didn't even get five percent of the vote, which knocked him off of the ballot by rule. But remember there were thirteen Hall of Famers on the ballot the one time he went on the Writer's ballot thirteen. So he went on at a really bad time, and he deserved a second chance, and he got it, and he didn't make it to the Hall of Fame. But he's going to get another chance in three years, so we can re examine his numbers, because they are pretty darn impressive. As I told you, Jeff Homer's RBI's ops. He's one of fourteen players that have those levels in the history of baseball. Pretty darn good.
Speaker 1: All right, well, we have to take a minute to say sorry to our neighbors to the north in Canada. They've had a rough month. I'm not trying to be funny or kitchy here, but you know, you lose to the Los Angeles Dodgers, that monster team. You'll almost take him down in the World Series. And then Carlos Delgatto, who spent you know, ten seasons plus in in Toronto and he doesn't make the World Series. So to Blue Jays fans out there, we hear you, we feel you. We've got family in Canada. I know Uncle Craig right now, Dad, your cousin, we feel for you. I'm sure it was tough not seeing in. But Carlos Delgatto will go in. Am I wrong in.
Speaker 2: Saying that there?
Speaker 1: You'll make it?
Speaker 2: Someday he will be a Hall of Famer. And just because Don Mattingly and Dale Murphy didn't make it and a lot of people were hoping that they would, they still have a shot to do this someday. And because each of them got at least six votes, it's possible they'll be on the same ballot three years now. We'll see.
Speaker 1: Let's move forward on this date in baseball history. Today is December the ninth, not December the tenth. Your birthday, even though I think we had an episode come out on your birthday last year, doesn't matter. December the ninth, what do you.
Speaker 2: Have this day? In nineteen sixty five, this was a famous trade. The Red sent Frank Robinson to the Baltimore Orioles for Milton Pappis, Jack Balchin and another pitcher another player, and it turned out to be one of the great trades in Oriel history. The general manager of the Reds felt that Frank Robinson was getting old. And what he did in nineteen sixty six he won the Triple Crown, He won the MVP, making him then the first player ever to win the MVP in both leagues, and they won the World Series year and Brooks Robinson famously Well, Brooks Robinson told me, Frank Robinson taught us how to win. Jeff, is not a greater compliment that you could say anyone that that guy came to our team and taught us how to win. That covers everything, interestingly. And Frank Robinson is one of the most underrated players of all time. He never led the league in any category in any season other than the year that he won the Triple crowd and then he led the league in average home runs and RBIs isn't that weird?
Speaker 1: That is crazy to think about. If you're going to do it all, do it all. If you're not going to do it, don't do it.
Speaker 2: That's insane, right, Pretty good? So that's Frank Robinson. Great trade for the Orioles ended up turning them into a superpower in the sixties. This day. In nineteen ninety two, Greg Maddock signed a five year contract with the Braves, and Jeff google Greg Mannox's statistics and look at those numbers that he ran up as a member of the Braves. Because when people ask who's the greatest free agent signing ever, Greg maddox is in that conversation. I mean he won four Cy youngs in a row soon after signing with the Braves, Do I have that right? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, ninety two with the Cubs free agent signing ninety three Cy Young, ninety four, Cy Young, ninety five Cy Young. So his first three years in Atlanta he wins to say young after winning it in Chicago.
Speaker 2: Right, That's how great, That's how great. Greg maddox was speaking of free agent signings on this date. In twenty twenty three, shoheo Otani signed for ten years, seven hundred million to go to the Dodgers. And we were in Las Vegas, Jeff for your Let's see, this was winter meetings. When was the Yeah, so.
Speaker 1: That would have been McKinley's baptism, my daughter's baptism, right, yeah, because it was December's right around your birthday obviously the day before.
Speaker 2: Right, right, that's so cool. Yeah, that's how I remember. We were in Las Vegas when it was officially announced that Shoe had signed with the Dodgers. So that was famous. On this date, in nineteen sixty five, branch Ricky died. Branch Ricky, of course, is one of the great executives in the history of baseball. Of course, he signed Jackie Robinson and brought him to the big leagues in nineteen forty seven. He also was the guy, you know, credited with inventing the farm system in baseball, which is the lifeblood of many organizations today. So branch Ricky was pretty great. Who played branch Rickey. Let's see if you remember in the movie forty two, which was a great movie by the way.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, such a great movie. I can't remember.
Speaker 2: Famous actor, Jeff famous actor.
Speaker 1: Okay, don't tell me because this is this is where I need to shine, Okay, branch Ricky. Oh was it Harrison Ford? Yes, very, I'm glad you got that. Yes, yeah, incredible, now dad, did you know that? On this date, also, Larry Bird ended his streak of fifty nine consecutive free throws made back in nineteen eighty seven, fifty nine.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, on the State nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 2: That's so good. I think I have this story correct. That Dan Shaughnessy, our dear friend who's been on our podcast before, one of the great sports columns in America, Hall of Fame baseball writer. He used to cover Celtics, of course, and he was Larry was on the court before the game and he was, you know, shooting free throws, getting ready for the game, and Shaughnessy said something like, I'm writing a story about your free throws, and so don't mess it up. Don't miss one tonight, whatever you do. And I believe that was the night that Larry Bird's streak ended. And when he missed it, I believe he looked at Dan Shotsy like, this is your fault. You told me before the game, don't mess up my story by missing a free throw, and then he missed a free throw. Yeah, Larry is until Steph Curry came along, Larry is the greatest shooter I've ever seen. And he doesn't have the range of Steph Curry, but you know, twenty feet and in. I'll take Larry with just about anyone in the history of the sport. That's how great Larry Bird was.
Speaker 1: Now, Dad, that was a great follow up story. But I'm shocked. And the one reason why I brought this story up was because I thought you were going to talk about Kelly kirkshin.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well, well we better since Yeah. So, Kelly in high school made fifty four out of fifty six free throws her senior year. She broke the school record for consecutive free throws twice within the same season. The record was nineteen. She made thirty two in a row, missed one, looked over at me at the scorer's table and goes, oh my god, how did that happen? What am I going to do? Now? Well, then she made twenty in a row after that, breaking the record again, and then missed one and made the final one. So she made fifty four out of fifty six free throws her senior year. The lesson here is Kelly is five foot two and she was I think the greatest female free throw shooter in the history of Montgomery County. And I still give her a hard time about that, and I embarrass her daily. But it's okay.
Speaker 1: I think you played in Montgomery County too. What was your stat line your senior year for free throws?
Speaker 2: I don't remember, Jeff, and.
Speaker 1: Not nearly as good, respectfully, I mean respectfully, four out of fifty six.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not ninety nine percent of the NBA free throw shooters have never made fifty four out of fifty six. That's what your sister did.
Speaker 1: Pretty good, all right, Dad, Let's wrap up today's episode with a very special Team ten that we talked about at the top of the show. When it comes to birthdays, tomorrow, Dad, is your sixty ninth birthday, Early birthday to you. I'm excited because this weekend you're coming to our new house and you're going to celebrate birthday, Christmas, the whole thing with us. It's gonna be great.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be great, and you're gonna put us to work and we're gonna do some good stuff around your house and it's gonna be great. All right. So, Joe Austebier, our friend from Saint Louis who comes up with some great ideas, why don't you do a team tim of players who share the same birthday. So this isn't like these are just ones that I know and things that tickle me They're not necessarily the best at each position, but I think it's I think we have to start at first base with Frank Thomas and Jeff Bagwell, what is what do they share, Jeff, besides a birthday?
Speaker 1: Well, didn't they win the MVP in the same year.
Speaker 2: Yes, and they are the same age, so they're not sharing a birthday ten years apart. They were born exactly the same day and they both won the MVP in nineteen ninety four. Our second basement is Harris and Ian Kinsler. So I told you this story once that Ian Kinsler came up to me once and he said, I know something about statistics that you don't know. I can't wait to tell you. So he said, last night, he said, Willie Harris and I hit a home run in the same game, and we're playing the same position, and we share the same birthday. And he said, that's the first time in Major League history that that had ever happened. And he was right. So yes, Willie Harris and Ian Kinsler are second baseman because they share the same birthday and they hit a home run get in the same game at both playing the same position. I love that third base is Max Munsey and the other, Max Munsey, who is active with the Oakland A's, and they're not related. It's kind of an unusual name, don't you think, Jeff, and they share the same birthday.
Speaker 1: It's funny, don't you say, make any sense that they not only have an unusual name, but they also have the same birthday.
Speaker 2: Right right, and they're not related. I love it. The shortstop and I find this interesting. Carlos Carrea, of course, used to be the shortstop for the Astros, and then he left by a free agency and he was replaced by Jeremy Payinam and they share the same birthday. So Correa leaves, the guy who replaces him has the same birthday. Now, of course, Korea is back on the Astros. He plays third base. Pay you play shortstop every day, so the same birthday is playing shortstop and third base every day. I don't know why I get such a kick out of these things, but I do so. Joe Ostermeier, he also sent in that Ken Griffy Junior and Stan Musial share the same birthday and they're two of the greatest players of all time to left handed hitting outfielders, and they're both from DeNora, Pennsylvania. To Jeff, what are the chances of that two players that great from the same hometown and share the same birthday many many years apart. Amazing.
Speaker 1: That's my favorite birthday share right there, and it's gotten brought up on the show before because the same town, small town. I mean, you just got to name the day after them at that point and switch off a year after year.
Speaker 2: Right right. Our second outfielders are Ozzy and Jose Canseco, who of course are twins, so of course they're born on the same day. We used to joke. Dan Shaughnessy used to joke all the time that Jose was much better than his brother, even though his brother was a major leaguer and hit a few home runs, that they Jose should just put on Ozzie's uniform after and at bat, and then he would get like, he would get like eight at bats every day, pretending to be his brother because he couldn't tell the difference between the two. I don't think he'd get away with it. Only Dan would think of something light that, right, So I had to come up with a third outfield group. So I had to go looking for, you know, outfielders, so Richie Zisc and Babe Ruth shared same birthday. I picked the greatest player ever, Babe Ruth and Richie's this. Do you remember the Steve Russian thing on RICHIE'SISC? Now, remember remember when he we found out that the pope is a White Sox fan at RICHIE'SISC used to play for the White Sox. As Steve Russian said, this is the only pope ever that would say use this line, take your What did he say, take your risk with Ricky Richie's Richie, Yeah, that was I think that's what he said. Right, it was so bad? All right, Willie Mays and Jose Altuveay share the same birthday. Now, Jeff, you need to tell us what that birthday is, because Steve Spark's our dear friend mentioned Jose Altuvey's birthday.
Speaker 1: Is any number twenty seven, So he's he's February the seventh, right, No, no, no.
Speaker 2: He remember his height is the same as his birthday.
Speaker 1: His height as what Jeff, oh oh oh.
Speaker 2: Oh, May the sixth, Right, May the sixth is Jose al Tuve is five to six born on May the sixth, and he shares the same birthday with Willie Mays wow right, and Mickey Mantle and Juan Gonzalez shared the same birthday. They both won multiple MVPs. Who Else Shares a Birthday? Former guest on our podcast Who Else Shares a Birthday? With Mickey Mantle? Think Jeff early on he wore a seven in his name always because he was born on the same day as Mickey Mantle wore a seven in his name. Our greatest number, thirty seven ever.
Speaker 1: Keith Hernandez, Yes, oh that was it right. Took me a second. Lots of clud we said early on, I was thinking Eduardo, and I'm like.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, Jeff, that was good. You got it, very good. All right. Our pitchers, we have a bunch of pitchers here. Of course, we have the Rogers twins who pitched. Taylor and Tyler Rogers twins pitched in the major leagues. Obviously they share the same birthday. Of course, we had Homer Bailey and Ryan Dempster, who on May the third, twenty twelve, started a Major League game against each other on their shared birthday. That had never happened before. And as Ryan Depster said, that's my only contribution to the Hall of Fame. I'm in the Hall of Fame because they took my glove or my scorecard from that game, because Homer Bailey and Ryan Depster started a game each other on their shared birthday in twenty twelve, and the last one, of course, since this is the theme of the day, Carlos Rodon and you, Nestra Cortez tenth, there you go, sharing it with me.
Speaker 1: And Tim Kirkshin with a sixty five mile per hour strike right down the middle. If you had to throw, if I gave you an hour to warm up, how fast do you think you could throw a ball?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I told you when I was sixty five years old, you threw sixty five. I was able to throw my age at age sixty five. Now that's certainly nothing to brag about, but you asked me a question, and I don't know what I could do today because I'm almost sixty nine years old. But when I was sixty five, I threw a baseball at the same speed as my age, you.
Speaker 1: Know, and a lot of people have the goal of hitting their age in golf. I just don't know if I'm going to play the same way I'm playing now when I'm one hundred and eight, because that's usually where I'm landing.
Speaker 2: These stakes, right yeah, Jeff, You're you're gonna have to do well. We're all gonna have to play pretty late if we're going to shoot our age. But never mind.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: So that's the all shared team tim for baseball. And we've got the Winter meetings this week and we've got Christmas coming up. We're gonna have some special stuff. What are we going to have for Christmas? Jeff? For special stuff on the podcast, we.
Speaker 1: Are going to put together what we did last year as well, which was one highlight moment from each of our interviews for the season. So I'm going to start compiling putting those all together for all of you, and it's going to be really special. So make sure to be on the lookout for our little Christmas gift back to you. All right, Dad, get back to the people setting up your Christmas decor, and just be careful on those ladders, all right, Jeff.
Speaker 2: They only spend about an hour and a half in here helping us put up the tree and doing some things that I'm simply not capable of doing. But the rest of it, I have been very, very helpful in this whole process, and I just love to look at the house the first night when all the lights are up, all the trees up, everything else. It's gonna be great.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for listening. As always, thanks for being a part of our family. M HM