Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go. Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com right with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Nick Harris and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 4: It is Wednesday, December eighteenth, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number eighty eight. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We are locking thet WBC mortgage studios at the Star, presented by LGLG is the world's number one old TV brand for eleven years in counting. See why at LG dot com Forward slash O led Evil. How's everybody doing today?
Speaker 2: Excellent?
Speaker 4: Got a good starting, good start today.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we got the media Christmas party today over in the Media Worker.
Speaker 4: Y'all have a media Christmas part?
Speaker 5: Yeah we do, Yeah, we do. You gotta come up, come say what's up? What time it's going to be? Right after locker rooms? Right for we're doing with this show.
Speaker 4: I got a presentation, I got things to do.
Speaker 2: Is it like a white elephant? Christmas thing or it's just.
Speaker 5: Like show up, bring whatever, and wear an ugly Christmas sweater. Mine's in the studio.
Speaker 2: I got you.
Speaker 5: It's not actually this that I think.
Speaker 4: Want assault, but I'm just like what we talk about.
Speaker 5: When I put it on, I was like, this could qualify. But I do have one in the.
Speaker 4: Podcast actually dressed up as Dave exactly. Yes, that works, it works, Although I do I do think y'all favorite each other a little bit with the beer. Well.
Speaker 5: I had gone to a Dodger game with him over during training camp and it was the first time we were able to really meet, and it was like third inning and we were already like understanding why everyone was linking us together. I was like, you know what, I see it and.
Speaker 4: It's the first everything like it's it's everything, it really is. All right, let's let's jump in. I want to start for we were gonna get to the Bucks today and talk about their offense versus the Cowboys defense. But before we get there, I want to talk about DeMarcus Lawrence. I think we all thought that by maybe as early as last weekend, maybe at the latest this weekend, he would be playing again. And it doesn't seem like that's going to happen. What are you guys hearing about him? And at this point do you think there's a possibility he doesn't return this season?
Speaker 5: This is one of those Derek, I really just don't know. But he is running out of time, like you said, I mean, after this, he's not gonna go this week. Mike McCarthy already said it. He's not gonna even touch the practice field this week. So that really only leaves two more games where he could potentially return. I mean, it was a serious injury that he suffered back in Week four as a list frame injury. It wasn't as severe as what Jordan Lewis suffered back in twenty twenty two, but it is a similar injury and it takes a while. For it's basically when you know, i'd like the top of your foot where like your bones kind of web out. If you break like that, that knuckle bone on that web, that's that's the list Frank, And so it makes it really difficult to heal because you're basically healing like five many bones at once, especially given how like how much it spreads. So for in Jordan Lewis's case, it was really severe because it spread really really bad on that on that fracture, DeMarcus Lawrence isn't as bad, but it's still something that's going to take time to heal. But as far as timeline goes, I don't really know, because we were expecting, you know, out of Thanksgiving for him to potentially start getting back onto the practice field. There were whispers of that Mike McCarthy had said and Stephen Jones had said it, and now all of a sudden, he's kind of just trending towards possibly not playing again this year.
Speaker 3: I don't want to speculate, but I mean I've tried to reach out and ask and see hopefully we'll get an answer on that, because I know, walking to our responsibilities here, I've seen him on the field, just walking.
Speaker 2: I mean I just walked.
Speaker 3: I just looked out and I recognize him, and he's working with Britt Brown and he's cutting and he's moving and he's and I'm kind of in my mind, I'm like, Okay, this is encouraging him and brit are out there working really really hard to get back, and you know, you saw, like, you know, the explosiveness to get off the plant to turn and I'm like, oh, okay, there must have been a setback here.
Speaker 2: There must have been something that.
Speaker 3: Happened, because it to me that it just looked so positive, you know, And that's just me like my days of watching practice and watching guys work out and thinking like, oh, that guy doesn't look ready, you know, he's still kind of limping around, or but man, it was it was really really kind of encouraging, and I just worry that maybe something happened that they were going to workout one day and then you know.
Speaker 2: And it and it does happen.
Speaker 3: I mean, they they they work hard, and then all of a sudden, you know, it's that day is not very good. And so I'm I'm just trying to find that out and hopefully today, by the time we end this thing, I'll figure that out for you. Because I didn't I I meant to do that. I meant to ask and I haven't asked. A couple of people that I know can maybe help me on that.
Speaker 5: For everybody, do not google image list frank injuries. These are disgusting. Sorry, I just wanted to make sure that no one else googles what I'm googling right now. It's terrifying. I will not be going.
Speaker 6: But I think it's one of those things that, yeah, you can always speculate a timeline.
Speaker 2: In anything that you go through, and.
Speaker 6: Then as you start approaching that timeline, it may not look like you're actually ready for it. When you talk about things like that, it's it. No one can accelerate certain things in your body to fully heal. And like you said, Brian, I have watched him training out there with Britt Brown and everything. He's doing what he's supposed to do. He's showing up to do the rehab necessary and everything. So maybe there was something like you mentioned that happened and occurred there. But it is very concerning because we're not it's trending towards us not being able to take another look at him before the season ends. I mean, are still three love that's crazy, But he's about to become a free agent. And again, when you start seeing other guys that have been showing up during these games, it makes you wonder, way is he does he have a future here with the Cowboys. I don't know, And it's crazy to think because I remember when we had the press conference announcing his big contract with the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: And time just flies by.
Speaker 6: It's insane. But yeah, that's another big name heading to free agency.
Speaker 4: Well, you know when you when you mentioned it from that perspective, I actually look at it. I'm like, if if the Cowboys were in a position where the playoffs were more realistic, because obviously they still have a one percent chance, so there's still a chance, but if it were more realistic, if it were more realistic, I would probably be like, Okay, got to get him back. You got to get Hi back as quickly as possible, because it's not as realistic now people like Kneeland. I kind of want to see a little bit more of them. I want to have an opportunity to see more of them. I know what Marcter.
Speaker 3: Questions, yesterday, here.
Speaker 2: We go, it's yesterday.
Speaker 4: Is you know we've seen all we need to see. There's nothing he's going to do in three games that's going to change an opinion in this building about who he is, what he represents, or whether there should be a new deal. Those things have already been at least what you've seen, that part has already been decided. They'll ultimately have to make a decision on what the money looks like. How much they want to have him back, what else they think they have at the position. All those things will factor in, but none of that will be about his play. So at this point, you know, whether he comes back or not, I don't know if it hurts him, helps him, hurts the Cowboys, helps the Cowboys. I just think at this point whatever is best for him just is the right thing to do.
Speaker 5: I mean, if you're looking at it from this isn't really a bright side just because like a DeMarcus Lawrence loses out in this scenario. But by him not playing these final fourteen weeks, his price is going to be a little bit lower going into going into free agencies. So you know, if you're looking at it from front office perspective, maybe that opens the door for the potentiality of a return.
Speaker 4: But but you don't think other teams are kind of like we know who he is, or do you think that they would know who he seared off?
Speaker 2: They would be.
Speaker 4: Geared off by the injury itself and him not coming back. Is that what you're saying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm just saying, especially at that age, an injury like that, I'm sure it could give some teams some pause and potentially could lower his market value, but I think still at the end of the day, this is going to be a contract that the Cowboys can't afford. See, I will think that they knew that, and that's why that they drafted Marshawn neland last year in the second round, I.
Speaker 3: Kind of wanted to in my mind, I was putting him in the same category as Tyrone Smith.
Speaker 2: But that's not accurate.
Speaker 3: That's not accurate because he's had years where he's played sixteen, sixteen of sixteen, sixteen of fifteen of sixteen, sixteen of six ten, fifteen of sixteen, Yeah, the one year.
Speaker 6: He's maybe these he also right, Basically he's played a lot a lot of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I played a lot of games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but then you have games where he's played then like in twenty twenty one it was seven of seven, and then it was seventeen of seventeen, seventeen of seventeen, four of four, yeah, you know, and then so it's not like if you're thinking of like Tyron Smith, because in the past we've always thought about, oh, yeah, it'd be great to have Tyron you know, Tyron Smith, but he's always hurt and I can't put Tank in that category because when he's been healthy, he's been able to line up and play. That's that you can't say, well, he's he's had a Tyron Smith like career because of injuries. He's only had two seasons where well, really twenty sixteen was you know, a season he lost, but he's he's been relatively healthy for you throughout well.
Speaker 4: I think the other part to that too is specifically really you know, talking about Tyron Smith. I think it was clear watching him play this year at the made the right decision. I still think Tank has a lot more football in him. I don't think he's at the end of his career just yet. This reminds me more of DeMarcus Ware when DeMarcus Ware left and a team that knows how to use him. I don't know that he should be a guy you bring in to be your every down player, but as a rotational guy that can get some pass rush, that can help in the run against the run, I think he is still a very valuable commodity for teams, and so from that standpoint, I think he still has more left to tame.
Speaker 3: I agree with I totally agree with Nick. I think they drafted Neilan to be the guy. I think that's that's where they were going with that.
Speaker 4: All right, we're going to take our first break when we come back. We're going to introduce this Tampa Bay Club and then dive into their offense. Man, a lot of really scary stuff. If you're on the Cowboys side of this, things to think about players you'll have to be aware of. We'll do all that when we come back. This is Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 7: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheat of Savanza. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles brow But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 8: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you foody deals.
Speaker 9: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and Right Now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 10: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas. Take five oil change a proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. They're so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. Take advantage of take fives, stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area, and remember at take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: From the field to the festivities.
Speaker 11: Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stay in tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey Store at the Star and Frisco, or online at lucasey dot com. Lucasey the official boot.
Speaker 12: Of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders. Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yetti Cowboys gear is now available at stadium, pro shops, concessions and on yeti dot com. Check it out today. YETI Official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Back to the.
Speaker 6: Break lg oled Evo is the best TV in the game, But don't take our work for it. Digital Trends said that LG OLEDG four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See it for yourself at LG dot com, slash oledevo.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 4: Second segment of The Break live from SWBC Mortgage Studios at the Star. It is time to meet the Bucks. So here's what we know about them. They are coached by Todd Bowles, who actually, ironically for those that were around or remember, he was a former defense back coach with the with the Cowboys back and try.
Speaker 2: To get me fired.
Speaker 4: I was actually gonna ask you, do you have any you got any interest Todd Bowles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was a scout with the Packers. Oh yeah, Todd Bowles was a player at the with the Washington Commanders and he had a he had a health club in Alexandria, Virginia, which was very, very very successful. I mean he that was his first business when he was a player. After he was playing, and we had the bright idea to hire him as a scout after when we were in Green Bay and he was running that health club and not really scouting, you know, and Ron Wolf, my boss at the time, said, listen, you can't get that guy to scout, you're fired and yeah, and I and I'm like, uh, you know, I'm just not you know, I'm sitting there kind of like okay. So I'm talking to him, and I'm honestly I'm pleading with him. I'm like, Todd, seriously, you got to turn in reports, you got to go to this school.
Speaker 2: They're going to fire you and me both if you don't do it.
Speaker 4: It's not just about you.
Speaker 2: And Todd's got the most laid back personality ever.
Speaker 3: Okay, man, all right, I'm like, no, you don't know. Stand we're gonna get fired. You and I on the street, and you know, he's probably thinking, I'm going back to the health club.
Speaker 2: Me, I'm a young guy, Like what am I gonna do?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I made money ball, I got this.
Speaker 2: He hit a couple of schools and you know, and and.
Speaker 3: You know, and he went he he he went from scouting to getting into coaching. It literally drove him into another avenue of and then he becomes and then he becomes a head coach. And I'm like, this guy, what the health club?
Speaker 2: But that's that's the Todd ball.
Speaker 3: I mean literally, he went from being like working with us as a scout in Green Bay.
Speaker 2: And I mean it was he just his his demeanor is just that of it's it's you see him on the sideline. Oh, he's very very nothing bothers him. He's just very Okay, man, it's cool. We'll get it done. Don't worry about it, you know. I'm like, no, no, you don't understand. We have to turn in reports.
Speaker 3: You have to go to Virginia Tech, you have to go to Penn State, you have to go to these schools.
Speaker 2: We need those reports. All right, man, don't worry about it. We'll get it done. I'm like, Okay, then he get done.
Speaker 4: Rock kept his job for another couple of years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like we had to.
Speaker 3: We scrambled, you know, we scrambled. I was pretty close to flying to Virginia. And this is really before you had like you know, you had the way to communicate today with the cell phones and stuff like that. I mean, you really couldn't find your scouts all that well. And I almost went to some schools that he was supposed to be at just to make sure he was there.
Speaker 2: I almost got on a plane and flew to that the Atlantic coast area, and.
Speaker 3: Just to see if he was scouting the schools, just to walk him to the schools. Hey, man, this is North Carolina. Beautiful place, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is Duke. They're really smart here. Hey we can go here and watch Tate and write reports, you know. And I didn't have to do that, but man, that was it was a nightmare.
Speaker 4: Maybe what he figured is gouting aim for me coaching I can do.
Speaker 2: He did, and he and Parcells took a liking to him.
Speaker 5: Yeah he did.
Speaker 3: And that's and that's how Todd Bowles got to where Todd Bowles is.
Speaker 4: He's a good guy too.
Speaker 2: He's a really good guy. If you just like being like, man, don't worry about it.
Speaker 4: He's very chill.
Speaker 2: He's very chill. He's good. We're good here. Why why he's so upset? And I'm like, because we're going to lose our jobs. That's why I'm upset. I can't afford to lose his job. And he goes, Okay, we'll get it done.
Speaker 4: Ryan hare on fire. Todd just like if I ran.
Speaker 3: Him right now, he would be he wouldn't remember anything I just said. I mean, he would be like you I did that? Yeah, you know, but he here, he is his coach, man, defensive coordinator, all that stuff. I mean, but Bill Parcells. Everybody in life needs a sponsor. Bill Parcells was his sponsor. I got him a gig and into coaching.
Speaker 4: No doubt, and he has led this team now to an eight and six record. They are right now first place in the NFC South. After losing some some parts as the season is gone along, they've kind of been able to keep it together. They are currently on a four game win streak. I mean they won at the Chargers last week, put up forty points against them, beat Las Vegas the week before that, and beat a Carolina team the week before that in overtime, and then beat the New York Giants the week before that. So they've had a similar trek over the last four weeks to what the Cowboys were playing, and they came through it unscathed and got some wins that they desperately needed in order to keep hold of that NFC South. If I had to go around the table and tell me, what do you think is the thing that most that fans need to know most about this team? As the Cowboys prepared to face them, what would you say?
Speaker 5: It's a really good team. Yeah, it's better than an eight and six record, and I know eight and six is a good record, but this is a really good team. You look at these first ten opponents that they faced in the first ten weeks, only one of them is not currently in the playoff picture, and it was a win against New Orleans. They won by twenty four. They're one of two teams to beat Detroit. They did that on the road. They're one of two teams to beat Philadelphia. They did that at home, but it was by seventeen points. And then since their bye week, you look and you see New York Carolina Las Vegas Chargers, and they've handled business. They're the only team to put up more than thirty points against the Chargers. They put up forty on the road defense and they have a phenomenal defense. So they've really started to figure it out with their run game, with their two headed monster. We'll get to it here in a bit, but this is a really good team. It's better than eight and six. This is a really talented team coming to eighteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they've got Mike Evans healthy now and he's been lighting it up the last four weeks the way he's playing, and then you know, also to give the tip of the cap to Baker Mayfield. I mean, you could say a lot of things about Baker Mayfield, but he finds a way to make it happen. The line has done a good job with some of the blocking that they've had to do. The quarterback gets rid of the ball, he's going to make plays, and it's it's really an impressive offense to watch just because of the skill that they have at the certain positions. Like Bucky Irving has been just a fourth round pick and you know, here we go him and White the other running back. They do a really nice job with the one to two punch of it. They got a tight end, it's very capable. A lot of targets with Kate Ott and he's gonna make plays for you. And they you know, they've got a rookie center that when we were doing the draft show that you know, I know that Nick and I and others were talking about Graham Barton, you know, potentially the Cowboys draft Graham Barton and would we would be super happy with that with that pick, you know, and he went right after Dallas picked matter of fact, to Tampa. So yeah, it's uh, I think I had that right that he went. I think he went right after.
Speaker 5: I think when they traded back back.
Speaker 2: That they lost him when they traded back. Yeah, that's okay, that was the story.
Speaker 3: But yeah, overall though, you know, Mike Evans is finally, you know, healthy, he's on his pace for another thousand yard season, even though he's missing games. But they they're they're offensively, they present a lot of problems for you.
Speaker 4: Let's dive a little deeper into this offense. They are right now third in total offense in the NFL, the fourth and point scored. Uh, they are also fourth pass offense. When you look at that. Baker Mayfield obviously as at the epicenter of their success. He right now has two and fifty eight yard per game through the air, thirty two touchdowns, only fourteen interceptions, a one oh four point one rating. Really really great season right now for Baker. That being said, Kansas City, San Francisco, Denver, Detroit all gave their offense, their passing offense, particularly some issues. They were not able to put up the kinds of yards and points that they were able to put up against some of their other opponents. What do you think they were able to do or just in general, looking at his game, where do you think it's best to be able to disrupt him? How do you best disrupt him?
Speaker 5: I think he does make mistakes and you have to be able to take advantage of those. You look at the turnovers that is a little high whenever you compare it to the rest of the league. When he makes those stakes, you's got to be able to take advantage of it. You're looking at this defense and it has improved in the takeaway category in the last few weeks on the Cowboys defense, but they got to really be able to take advantage of these mistakes whenever he does make them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think a lot of it has to do with Mike Evans not being healthy. I think in some of those games you're mentioned, and they're a little bit of a different offense that way without him on the on the field.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: But to me that when I was watching it, and I always like to go back and watch how teams pressure them, Denver really got after his ass, and I mean, and then they got after him in a way that that it would encourage if I was Mike Zimmer and I'm watching the game on the tape, which I'm sure he did. Denver's got some dynamic rushers and they've got the ability they The thing that I've noticed with this guy with Baker, is that if you make their running backs have to play now, they'll throw the ball.
Speaker 2: These running backs. That's that's going to be an issue.
Speaker 4: Here, the ball going up against Cincinnati. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Irving and White, I think between him they might have missed four passes in eighties. I mean, it's it's it's incredible the number of passes that their backs get. The ball is going to go short and it's gonna get out quick. But what Denver was able to do was I saw a secondary pressure and I saw like when teams play wide, and I mean wide, I mean alignment. When they play wide against them, you can get these offensive linemen to tilt a little bit and kind of play over the tops of their feet. You play them a little bit tighter. They send to be able to sit down on you. But these these defenses that play with a little space on the edge and able to attack, it makes these linemen go a little forward and that kind of gives their.
Speaker 2: Blockers a problem.
Speaker 3: But Bucky, Irving and and White, the running back when they've had to play in blitz pickups or they've had to block and help.
Speaker 2: It's been a problem. It's been a real, real problem. But this quarterback is not going to let you.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think he's the second fastest in the league when it comes to getting the ball out.
Speaker 2: He's not.
Speaker 3: But if you can make them hold secondary pressure, linebacker pressure, make the backs have to play, play a little wider with your scheme, which Denver did, played a little wider with their scheme and they attacked those edges, attacked the shoulders. These linemen were playing on their toes a little bit, and I think that gave them some problems Philadelphia did. I know Philadelphia lost.
Speaker 2: The game, but just watching how teams were.
Speaker 3: Able to generate pressure, those were the ways they were able to do it. And I think not having Mike Evans and some of those games didn't really help the buck situation all that well.
Speaker 5: Kind of build on that point, just talking about the last three games, which have been wins for Sampa Bay. But looking at these last three games, Baker has thrown five interceptions, he's fumbled three times, and it's as a result of him being sacked nine times. The pressure has been on them.
Speaker 4: So where the weak links is you look at this offensive line, where are the weak links on this offensive line?
Speaker 3: It was they were not playing with the right tackle.
Speaker 5: I'm looking at left guard.
Speaker 2: You're looking at left guard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they I think to me with with Reretterson, is that who you're thinking is yeah, okay, I Kodeki?
Speaker 2: Is that Luke Kadeki that.
Speaker 3: They he's he when he was out at right tackle they were playing with justin school. Justin School is a backup that's given up seven and a half sacks, like like you watched the Detroit game like it was when School was in there.
Speaker 2: He was getting worked by Hutchinson. You know.
Speaker 3: So they they've they've had some they've had some problems there. But I kind of feel like though, because but Kadecki he's played since he's been back, that hasn't been a problem at the right tackle. But when they had a backup in there, that was a big problem. But Bretterson I think was I think that Bretterson was a little bit of a liability. But I was just thinking it's a line that it felt like has played better because they kind of they they they've not missed a lot of time. By the way, this is I think there were the when it comes to the number of snaps that all these guys that played, I think they're like the eighth or ninth best in the league for a number of snaps that they've all played together.
Speaker 2: But when their right tackle was out, that.
Speaker 3: Was huge for them. So I like what Nick's talking about. I was kind of thinking that the right guard was a problem, uh with this this group, and then also it's going to happen, it would be at the guards. Tristan Wurf's has had some problems too with with some of the snaps that he's had that I was watching some of the pressure coming off him, people kind of getting around him as well. But still a maller, he is a maller, but but there were a couple of times where like he like he When I was talking about these guys leaning and getting he was one of the one of the.
Speaker 2: Guys that was involved in that.
Speaker 5: Him and Jordan my lot of are my favorite left tackles to watch in the entire NFL, just because of how athletic they are. They can get after it and they push guys through, They get out and get out in space game. He's fun. He's a fun left tackle.
Speaker 4: All right, we're going to take our final break. We will come. We got more on this Tampa Bay offense and how they'll match up against Dallas. We'll be back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 13: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an LG O lead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play.
Speaker 2: Every hit.
Speaker 13: I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is. It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black, over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 2: No one comes close.
Speaker 13: LGO led Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash o Leeddevo.
Speaker 14: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipments, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official and turf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Aggonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 5: If you shout how about them Cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone. The wins will be even tasteier.
Speaker 13: It's a pepper thing, and we're going to overtie Erica.
Speaker 4: How much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 15: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com. Slash ericup by your side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses me very digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the English language. Your chap maybe recorded and monitored for Qualy assurance, message, data rate and additional terms may apply. Bank America and a number FDIC.
Speaker 7: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast reliable, Secure.
Speaker 8: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for details. Back to the break.
Speaker 6: ATNT connecting changes everything You're.
Speaker 4: So good at that Welcome back by final segment of the break clap from this WBC Mortgage Studios at the star Let's Jump Backy in Tampa Bay office versus Dallas defense. Mike Evans, you mentioned him. He leads Tampa Bay and receiving yards with seven hundred and forty nine k DOT and he leads the Tampa band receptions of fifty nine. By the way, this segment brought to you by blockchain dot Com, Chris. And so, how does Dallas matchup specifically with those two players, Mike Evans and Ka Doot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's gonna be fascinating cover just because you have to account for what's coming out of the backfield too. You're gonna have a lot of resources spread across the field and a lot of one on one matchups. They try to isolate guys in one on one coverage and that's how Mike Evans is able to take advantage of it, and that's how he was able to take advantage of it last week. Huge game for him. From a Cowboys perspective, you would like to have LinkedIn size on a guy like Mike Evans, but you also look at a guy like Deron Bland and see how he's been playing over the last three to four weeks since his return, and you might just try to trust him to cover Evans and the opportunities that he has but yeah, travel with him would I wouldn't mind it. I mean, you have one healthy corner to play on the outside right now, Manti ro Warrier. How confident are you that he doesn't give up, you know, a big play? I think with the way the cornerback health is right now, and I am team pro Travel. I think we've determined that over the over the course of the season. I am team Pro Travel in this game specifically, just because you only got one healthy corner on the outside.
Speaker 3: In my eyes, yeah, this to me is I don't know about starting AO in this game, and I know they're there.
Speaker 2: I'm here kind of thing.
Speaker 5: Who are you starting?
Speaker 3: I'm playing mcwama when the outside and playing Lewis and talk about length and you know what I'm doing, and you know what I'm doing, And if I have to, I'm gonna mix it up. I'm gonna put Lewis on the outside and I'm put MCWAMU. Evans plays on the outside almost seventy percent of the time if you look at the metrics on that, He's only goes in the slot roughly thirty percent of the time. If you tell me I could put Bland and Lewis on Evans. I'll take my chances. I don't know if I want to take my chances with Ao playing over there. I'll take my chances maybe with mcwalmu playing. Because of the length this guy plays. When you're talking about Evans, you know, a lot of his stuff is kind of a vertical game down the field.
Speaker 2: He's going to go high point the ball.
Speaker 3: You've got to be able to match his physicality, and you've got to match his length. And so I know putting Lewis on him might be a little bit of a nightmare. Traveling, I totally I don't have a problem with the traveling. They'll always tell you that if you travel, it messes up everybody else. You know, it messes everybody else then has to adjust if you're traveling guys. And so I personally said, you know what, after seeing what happened in the Carolina game the other day, we give up an eighty something yard pass because you don't communicate things. What traveling makes sense, and you don't communicate and now somebody else catches the ball and goes, you know, McMillan for them, or Shepherd or one of these other guys goes, you know, Palmer, one of these other guys goes eighty something yards because you didn't communicate, you know, what you needed to do. That scares me a little bit, But I would consider, I would consider just switching Ao.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be switching Lewis and Mkuamu.
Speaker 3: One play slot, one play out, one play the slot, one play out, you know, just kind of mix it up in there. Don't don't let him get an idea of how you're playing. I think you almost have to treat Kate Otten too to tie it in like a wide receiver because of his ability to make plays down the field.
Speaker 5: You mentioned Jalen McMillan. This is a guy that I think fans should definitely be aware of whenever he's on the field. Whenever Mike Evans and Chris Godwin went down midway through the season in October, so they tried to throw that wide receiver one responsibility on him. He didn't really answer to it. He's a rookie out of Washington. When we talked about him a lot in the draft show last year, he was one of those three receivers I got drafted out of Washington last year. But he didn't really answer to that call. He had in those two games right after Evans and Godwin went down, he had fifteen targets, he only had seven receptions for fifty yards and wasn't really able to build They tried to get him involved in the run game just out in space. Didn't really quite work. But over these last two games since Evans has come back and he's been able to kind of take a step back and really try to find his own role. He's been great these just these last two games, he has nine of his twenty two receptions on the season, one hundred and thirty four of his two hundred and seventy nine yards, and three of his four touchdowns. He's he's come alive in this offense. Baker Mayfield has really started to build a connection with him. This is the guy you definitely have to keep track of too, and he's gonna be a guy out of the slot that Jordan Lewis is gonna have problems with, or maybe not problems with, but he's gonna be He's gonna be a legitimate challenge for Jordan Lewis having the slot.
Speaker 6: Yeah, pretty good balance between the passing game and the running game, Like they have good players from both where they can if something's not working, they can just go and use the other one. So it's gonna be And like you mentioned that game Derek against Cincinnati, I mean, we saw what a running back can do there touch.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and that's one area that you definitely have to be concerned. But also on the positive side, you have seen the Cowboys being able to kind of control that area and improve in the running defense.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, absolutely, And if I can circle back on McMillan, five of you know, he's had forty targets this year, five of them have been the resulted in interceptions.
Speaker 2: He is the one.
Speaker 3: He's Baker Mayfield has thrown him the ball. He's the one receiver that has given up like or what given up or been a part of targets to him. Five of them have been interceptions out of forty targets. So it's been a little bit of struggle, but a little bit of improvement here.
Speaker 2: The last couple of weeks. But to your point, though, if.
Speaker 3: Dallas doesn't deal with if Dallas doesn't deal with Irvin and White catching the football, this could be a long day for them because that that that that they're going to throw the ball to these dudes They're one of those teams that they like to throw the Baker mayfield he throws. He throws a lot of short passes. I mean it's a lot of short passes and then run a lot of rack for these guys, and they like to throw the ball to the flat. If Dallas doesn't play in space and play the flats well enough, they're gonna get killed. They to get it against Cincinnati with the receivers catch or it's gonna be the Backs catching the ball. This is going to This is going to make their defense. It's not going to be so much vertically, it's gonna be horizontally how they're gonna have to play this game because of the way the ball goes short.
Speaker 5: You know, I love me some Bucky Irvin.
Speaker 2: Brian, I know you do. You're right about him, man.
Speaker 5: He's been so much fun to watch. He's a physical runner despite his stature. He's only five foot nine, but his field vision. I think walking into the league year one and seeing what he's been able to do, I put his field vision top three in the league. It's it's that good. He just his eyes on the back of his head. He's really talented, really talented.
Speaker 4: All right, Let's tell a couple of player evaluations. There were some players on the Cowboys defense and we didn't get a chance to talk much about in the post game of their last game, but I want to throw their names out and you guys tell me what you think, what you saw from them last week and then obviously projecting into this. So let's start with Israel mcuama, who you mentioned that Brian, you said you'd probably play him more this week at cornerback. What did you see from him last week?
Speaker 3: I think that with with is He, you're gonna you're going to get there's some flexibility because he played some safety too. If you remember Hooker, Hooker had a foot problem. I thought Hooker got stepped on. When you watch the tape, you're like, did he gets stepped on? And then they came back and he had tape on his over his shoes. So I mean, obviously it's an ankle problem or foot problem, something that he was dealing with.
Speaker 2: But the thing.
Speaker 3: About is he is I think is he is going to always be super competitive.
Speaker 2: I think he's going to be He's going to.
Speaker 3: Be aware of what's happening around him and to me, when I watch him play. There was a time where I was kind of nervous about putting him out there, but I'm not anymore. I'm not I used to think, like, gosh, he's going to do something's crazy and he's not gonna he's gonna buy, but he's usually generally locked into what's going on. The link is impressive. The ability to carry guys is impressive. The ability to go get the football, and we saw it with the interceptions and stuff like that. He's had his ability to kind of be at the right place at the right time. I'm totally okay with him, you know, being out there and being a part of this this week because of the weapons that they have, you know, with Evans and Aughton, and they're going to have to I would rather have him out there than Ao. Like I said, start him, let him play, match that thing up, and then let him go.
Speaker 5: He's played one hundred and twenty three covered snaps. He's only allowed eight receptions for eighty nine yards on the year. Granted, he's been he's been kind of managed a lot in different areas as well, and so those numbers might be a little bit skewed, but he has been good in coverage from what I've seen, the link is there. The strides really make up ground in a in a fast manner. I like his role mcwamo to start playing a little bit more as in these next three games.
Speaker 4: Yeah, talk to me about Donovan Lewis.
Speaker 5: Donovan Lewis, I was just curious which one you wanted there. Donovan Wilson, Hey, I'll take a combination. Yeah, combination. I think I think with Donovan Wilson you started to see him kind of find his stride again in the last few weeks. I will say that because in the beginning of the season, I'll be honest with you guys, and I think I even mentioned on the show. I was like, all right, you might need to look somewhere else and twenty five and I'm not completely throwing that equation out of the window either, but I think you're starting to see Donovan Wilson returned to for him a little bit. I don't think he ever found his stride last year, coming off with that calf injury that he suffered in training camp and it kind of kept him out for this first couple of weeks. But I think this year, seeing him with the full camp and then now the first half of the season, this entire defense was in disarray. But now that this defense has really started a rebound, you started to see Donovan Wilson rebound. As the linebackers in front of him rebound, You're starting to see him rebound. So I think he's kind of a product of everything around him. You know, how much do you want that in your safety department. That's a question you would have to answer in the offseason. You know a guy that only thrives when everyone around him is thriving. But on that same token, you still have to give credit to him being able to make plays in the run game. I love the situational blitzing that Mike Zimmer's found with him as well. But in coverage, I think he's still a liability.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the coverage part of it.
Speaker 3: They figured out that we're not going to after that San Francisco game. They're like, listen, we can't put him in coverage anymore. And so all of a sudden, it's like, here we are. We're going to adapt you. We're gonna make you this situational blitzer. We're gonna let you play around the line of scrimmage a little more. You go back and watch the tape with Dan Quinn. What was Donovan Wilson doing pretty well? Playing around the line of scrimmage, making tackles, being a physical force if the run breaks through here there making a play. And that's what they've done. They realized that putting him in coverage is a terrible idea, and they're playing to his strengths and that's why he's playing better.
Speaker 4: Did you guys notice? And I didn't see any final stats on play count play snap counts, but it seemed to me like they were kind of mixing he and mcwonmalall early in the game a lot more like he was off the field with mcameal on. Did you guys see the same thing or was that just kind of, you know, a few plays the.
Speaker 2: Thing with Hooker getting hurt, I mean, was.
Speaker 4: Still on the field. It was Hooker and mcamal and then it would be Hooker and Lewis Lewis Wilson. And I don't it just I hadn't. I didn't track at the whole game, and I didn't see any snap counts after the game. They didn't give us that in our packet that we got from from from the PR team. But but I just wondered if if that was a situation where they were playing mcqualma more and that meant less snaps for Wilson.
Speaker 5: I mean, Wilson did play his second least snaps of the season against Carolina, so and technically Isral mcquama played fifteen snaps at safety, so I had something to look at for sure. I did notice mcwuama on the field though, in the first first uh, in the first quarter, and then you look around you see Ore and you see Lewis and you're like, okay.
Speaker 4: We're soius.
Speaker 5: So I didn't notice that as well. I guess I just kind of forgot to circle back on it. Yeah, that's an interesting point, I think. I think in that sense, maybe you just put mcuamo on the field in passing downs and passing situations unless you're using Wilson as a situational blutzer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think that's what it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Amani or Owaria, what did you see from last week?
Speaker 2: I'm not, I'm not. I just don't. I'm not going there anymore.
Speaker 4: You're done.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's tough to identify because of the block punt thing and all that. I'm just no, I just feel like that man I could play with. I could play with Izzy, I could play if Jordan Lewis has proven to me that he could play on the outside. Again, I haven't seen that since Michigan. Yeah, you know, and if you you give me a guy that can carry, a guy that's gonna be tough guy, it's gonna play routes inside guy, it's gonna tackle. Give me that guy. You know, there was something that happened in that game that that thing didn't get communicated all the way to the outside and you had a huge bust.
Speaker 2: You can't have that. You can't have that. I don't know him, Hooker, somebody. They did not get that message so to me.
Speaker 3: And I know that he's he's had some moments where but I just it's it's it's it's not.
Speaker 2: Worth it to me anymore. It's just not.
Speaker 3: When I know that I have other guys that I could feel like that, I can think I can lean on a little bit harder and then they won't they won't have problems out there.
Speaker 5: The amani Or Warrior Brian brought us apology game coming on Sunday night.
Speaker 3: You think so, I don't know, Yeah, I'll be happy I'm wrong.
Speaker 5: That's the it's still for me to identify what exactly happened on that eighty three yarder, and that's that's it's something you can't even ask the players either because they're not gonna throw another guy under the bus. But it's it's, yeah, but they do know, someone knows they didn't communicate side that they and that is that was one hundred percent true.
Speaker 2: Situation.
Speaker 5: Was a situation where Hooker was trying to communicate an oral Warrea wasn't even looking or was a situation where or Warrier was looking over and Hooker didn't communicate anything. So it's like it's it's tough to identify what exactly happened, but you take that play, let's take that play out of out of the equation. I mean, this secondary played really well on Sunday, and it's it's if you would be trying to harp on anybody, I think it would be a little bit of nitpicking from from uh aside from that eighty three yarder. Nitpicking aside from the eighty three yarder. Yeah, I mean you look at the you look at the secondary and how they performed, even or Warrier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, but you're okay, You're you're gonna comfortable in this game having Ao cover Evans.
Speaker 5: No, absolutely not, okay.
Speaker 2: I just want to make sure I wasn't.
Speaker 12: Nick.
Speaker 5: No, no, I think you would be to try to find any negatives in the Carolina game aside from the eighty three yarder. Like if if we're taking away the eighty three yarder, I think it would be.
Speaker 2: I've taken it. I have taken it out.
Speaker 3: I just feel like that I have better better cover guys without him being able.
Speaker 4: It's less about him and more about the fact they're just guys that are better.
Speaker 2: I think they're guys that are better. That's just I agree with you. I agree with all Right, that's a wrapping. Tomorrow play.
Speaker 4: Tomorrow we will be back. We will talk about the offense, I'm sorry, the defense for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers versus the Cowboys offense. It will be our final show of the week, so we'll also get some picks tomorrow. Till then for Nick Harris, Brian brought us Ambergarci. I'm Derek Eilts and this has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club