Speaker 1: Iheartradios. Live coverage of about twenty twenty five Steelers training Camp is presented by FedEx where Now Meets Next, and also brought to you by bud Light, Independence Health System, by Pennsylvania One Call System, by Live Casino, Caliente Pizza and Drafthouse, by Ton's Appliances, South Hill's Auto, Laurel Highlands Visitors Bureau, Wemax, Select Realty, the Pittsburgh Steelers Pro Shop, and by us steel Peters Everywhere.
Speaker 2: Actor Matthew McConaughey. Alright, alride, all ride gentle man dark your whoa weel that Kinger?
Speaker 3: You can feel that King? Huh yeah?
Speaker 2: How about that? Inside the locker Room with King and Starks, presented by our neighborhood Ford Store here on the Steeler's Audio Network, alongside Max Starks, wes Uler, Justin Miller, and our iHeart Studios. I'm Rob King, Thanks very much for being with us. Whose idea was that to get that fired up?
Speaker 4: Listen that that is the inspiration of the one, the only, the late Great Craig Wolfley and CJ reminded us the Latrobe five hundred will be underway, I would say tomorrow, but we won't be on the airwaves because they'll have a walk through and that'll be it. This is the last great day that you're jockeying for pole position after this practice to figure out when are we going to get it done?
Speaker 3: Now? You know, Mike Tomalin has a.
Speaker 4: History, you know, whether spotty or not where sometimes he'll release them tonight and then you'll do a walk through and tomorrow in south Side. But I know a lot of young boys. I don't know if he's gonna pull it. But we're not gonna be on the airways tomorrow because of the close practice and an early morning one. So next time we'll talk will be Thursday. So we figured you got to play it because this was one of Wolfe's favorite things to do. And you know, thanks to CJ for for reminding us about this. But the La Trope five hundred, you know, usually starts on UH on Route thirty, goes goes to seventy six, then to three seventy six and then after that to parts unknown and then where guys will live.
Speaker 2: For people who don't know, that is the exodus.
Speaker 4: Yes, mass, mass, exodus mass, let's not play it down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everybody will be leaving.
Speaker 2: And it is a it's a great it's a great camp, right, and the players rave about how great it is. But at some point, right, it's it's time to it's time. And I think it's you know, we talked about this Max, I can't remember what's on the air off Mike about like.
Speaker 3: Vacations, Like you're going to a vacation or whatever.
Speaker 2: And usually at some point, you know, you kind of start thinking about home, you know, and that's yeah. And once you start thinking about home, by the way, vacation's about over.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And if you're driving somewhere, you know a lot of people in Pittsburgh drive down to you know, the outer Banks, or they go to you know, the head the shore down in Baltimore, or you know wherever they're going. You know, once you pull into that driveway, man, once you start to know you're almost home, it's a it's a good feeling. And for these guys knowing that they're almost going to be home. As great as camp is, it's got to be a sense of release, not relief, but release, like let's.
Speaker 3: Go yeah, no, it absolutely is.
Speaker 4: And let's face it, you know, the NFL has has a nice large partnership with a company called Sleep Number, So I'm sure a lot of the players have those Sleep Number beds so you can finally get back to your cooling mattress or your hot mattress, whether your number is seventy six or forty or whatever it is. You know, they're looking forward to having those creature comforts of home coming up. I mean, heck, I'm thinking about my creature comforts of home. I've been away from my house for almost a month now, so by the time I get home, it'll be exactly one month. So I'm just I'm looking forward to that. But you know, we still got work to do, so I had to kind of push it off to the side, right, you know, hit the reminder button on there, you know, like we have on your phones, like reminder you snoozing that for another day. But you know, this is one last padded practice, one last physical tune up team on team before they see the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in a group setting on Thursday in Afer Shore, a closed off practice preceding their showdown on Saturday. So a lot of familiar faces over on that Buccaneers sideline that will be coming back to Akershore for the first time in a while and I mean Larry Foot, Harold Goodwin to name a few of the guys who were four former Steelers players and coach that will be coming back to aftershore.
Speaker 2: You know, it would strike me Max that you know, this is another little test for being a professional. You know, if this is your first time out at camp and you're thinking, Hey, I got to get back into town. I've got to you know, get an apartment set up or what have you. If you haven't already done that, find a place to live. Hopefully guys have already done that. But if you're a veteran, you might be getting back to your family, like you're talking about. But there's always going to be something. There's always going to be a distraction. There's always going to be a mental hurdle to overcome.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: They talk about that, and maybe the closest thing in football will be a practice squad, but they talk about that, particularly in baseball. Hey, they need to call this guy up. He's getting bored down in the minors. Okay, well that's fine, but that player's got to also push through that because are you going to get bored in the majors. You're gonna get bored in the NFL. You know, Yeah, you've got to find there's always a mental challenge. It's always a little bit different for every player. And this last practice and walk through, keeping things crisp, keeping your mind focused on the task at hand, pushing aside what you really want, which is to start to a trope five hundred, getting that car and head back to Pittsburgh tomorrow. Another little mental challenge for the guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because can you keep that foot out of the parking lot right for one last practice?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Can you get your attention so that you can focus in laser focus for the two two and a half hours that practice will be and then start worrying.
Speaker 3: About packing up your bags.
Speaker 4: And for a lot of guys, like you know, a lot of guys are gonna go to the team hotel and stay there because you know the future is uncertain. But for the guys that do have a longer tenure, or you are a higher rated draft pick, you know you should have a space somewhere that's.
Speaker 3: At least spoken for.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna say that you've moved in yet, right, because you never want to assume anything.
Speaker 3: But at least spoken for.
Speaker 4: And you know, the moving date could be oh, let's just call it a random number. August thirty first, right, you know that you have that intent, but you have a deal in place just to make sure. But a lot of guys still don't know. You know, we talked about this kinger like, you know, if you've got sixty guys that you want to keep on this roster in only fifty three spaces, you know, there's seven hearts who are going to be broken momentarily until they find a new home or they get re signed to the practice squad. So you you don't want to count your chickens before they're hatched and be presumptive. But I think if you know you're TJ. Watt, you're Cam Hayward, you can go back to your houses that you've lived in, you know, for the better part of a decade or more. And you know, Aaron Rodgers, he can go back to wherever he wherever he has staked his claim as home for the year his rental. You know, But there are a lot of guys, you know, there's still that uncertainty. I mean, if you're the fifth linebacker right now, you're not You're not going back to an apartment, you know, if you if you're if you're the ninth or tenth offensive lineman, you know, seventh or eighth defensive lineman.
Speaker 3: Like he was like, Nah, I'm gonna have to get it for.
Speaker 4: These next three exhibitions, we'll call it because we'll count the joint practice as a mini game scrimmage type of deal. Three exhibitions to to fall into the top group, you know, to make your claim that I deserve to be a Pittsburgh Steeler. That's what we're looking for. And that's that's what the whole point of this is. That's why this exercise, that's why you're having a padded practice for the last one of open practices. To the fans, that's the moment they're fighting for to continue that journey.
Speaker 2: August twenty sixth, that's the day in which you know, we're we're looking at the cutdowns, right, and which guys are gonna be there, and which guys are going to be on the uh, you know, practice squad, which guys are going to be maybe claimed by other teams. There's some of that that'll be going on there. There are gonna be the guys who think they're on a roster spot, but then you like another player, who's got another team better. So hey, congratulations you made the team, or congratulations you made the practice squad, and then maybe the next day it's hey, I got bad news for you. I mean, it's uneasy times if you're an edge guy, if you're a you know, if you're a fourth line player in the NHL, if you're the last guy in a bullpen in baseball, if you are you know, the eleventh man and a basketball team, if you're the fifty third man on an NFL roster, there's never there. I don't think there's too many nights where you're sleeping easy thinking you got it made well.
Speaker 4: And that's why I say the thirty first, because the twenty six is the actual cutdown day.
Speaker 3: With the five days after that, yeah, that's where the attrition happens.
Speaker 4: So don't put that deposit in until the thirty first, Ladies and gentlemen, before you start staking home, make sure that you're going into up timber you're still in that roster, because, like you said, a lot of things can change. There's thirty one other teams that are cleaning house as well to cut down to fifty three. And then there's that posturing for what I would even say fifty through fifty three can change, Like you know, you're the if you're the if you're not in that top forty six on the list, it gets a little uneasy. But I would say fifty through fifty three, those last four spots are interchangeable pieces, right.
Speaker 2: So you know, we were looking at a roster ranking and another one came out yesterday. I don't know if this was the same one Wes, because there is one here that that also that had and I don't know if this was the same one. It does have the quarterback in it. We were go faing because they had this stoo there's ranked as the twenty second or twenty third best roster. So I'm looking at another one by ESPN. This one includes the quarterback. So yesterday to recap, Wes found a ranking of the roster and the depth it. This one is a future power rankings. We stacked all thirty two teams long term expectations. I'm not sure if this is the same one that Wes was looking at. Is Wes there, Yeah, it was just the same one West.
Speaker 5: It might have been part of that piece. I'm not sure. I'd have to look it up. I can go and find what you're looking at right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we have the quarterback at twenty percent, the rest of the roster at thirty percent, the front office at twenty five percent, and the coaching at twenty five percent. Now we know that ESPN thinks very highly of this year's front office and coaching. I think WES found something where they were ranked eighth, right, correct, So that's half the battle. In half the battle, you're ranked eighth. I can't get to the math that has you ranked twenty second as the roster, but I also think that so this is twenty five through twenty seven, which teams are set up to win over the next three seasons a somewhat fruitless exercise when you consider injuries, free agency, somebody emerging, somebody not living up to expectations. I mean, this is a tough This is tough, you know. But again on this one, and this is Ben Solock, Lewis Riddick, Aaron Shatz, and Seth Walder. So this is ranking for the next three years and they have this Steelers. I'm shuttling down. I think it's twenty second on this list. Yeah, twenty second. So now I can understand a little bit that they would be critical of. Hey, you only have a one year solution at the quarterback position, which again is thirty percent of the battle Max. I still think they're wrong on this Steelers' roster because I still think I think that when you look at this team, they're a little older on defense and they are on offense, but look at what they've done. This is again, I just we have to go back to this because we had we were our Dandard was up a little bit yesterday. I want to go back to this just for one segment and then we'll move on. Because the Steelers way has always been to build through the draft. Now they've been more aggressive in free agency. And when I look at guys who are signed for the next couple of years, there's still guys in their prime. Deshaun Elliott's still in his prime. Patrick Queen is still in his prime. You just drafted young guys to bolster your defensive line. You have you know, TJ. Watt signed for a couple more years. They talk about aging roster, but he still remains productive. You have Herbie behind him. You know, you're hoping Jack Sawyer is going to be a guy. You only have Darius slay for one year, but they have a lot of hopes I think for for Corey Trice and nobody. I don't know, as any roster in the NFL, max is set up for absolutely set up for three years of success. I mean, that's a really hard measuring stick. I think, you know, to glimpse far into the future.
Speaker 4: No, I mean, it's a tough exercise, but you know you got to have talking points, right right, Let me guess the team that's up at the top of that list, rob Let me guess, is it Philadelphia?
Speaker 2: It's Philadelphia, of course, I think because I think this is the same I think I feel like as a.
Speaker 3: Philly grew No.
Speaker 4: No, but I mean, but it kind of goes in line with where the rankings were we were talking about for this year's success, right right. You know they're all in the same jockeying position. I'm sure you know. Lamar Jackson, like Baltimore is up there in the top three as well. Washington's probably up there as well if you extrapolate a.
Speaker 3: Little bit longer.
Speaker 4: Because of young quarterback play, So what quarterbacks are signed long term?
Speaker 2: Here's what they have here, so they have they break them down by ranking so once again, uh, twenty percent for quarterback, thirty percent for roster, twenty five percent for front office, twenty five percent for coaching. So the Eagles have overall roster minus QB number one, QB number eight, coaching number ten. I think I'd be I think if I was the ego's coaching staff, I'd be like, what what do you mean number ten?
Speaker 3: Well, the run off they got poached. They've gotten poached.
Speaker 4: So you can't depend on your coaches because usually they go on to become head coaches elsewhere. Think of the Lions right right, Dan Campbell, they would have been high, but Ben Johnson and Aaron Glenn both both get posted to be head coaches elsewhere.
Speaker 3: So I mean I get that one for the coaching.
Speaker 2: Okay, so here's where the Steelers are at number twenty two. So this is where Wes. So this is a combined ranking because Wes was telling us about the overall roster minus QB ranked, they had the Steelers ranked twenty third.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that that was our gutting point. That that got our that got our uh yeah, that was our that got our browns furled.
Speaker 3: Was just a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was our number one complaint, especially for this year, like I could see, okay, maybe the future.
Speaker 3: Okay, I get it, you know you don't. You don't have an Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 4: After this year's solution, you're gonna have to go find another quarterback.
Speaker 3: But again, minus QB, minus QB, that's what I say.
Speaker 4: I mean, I get, I get that, but it's just it's so weird for this year, like with Jalen Ramsey and with dk Metcalf and and with like you said.
Speaker 2: Darius slay One thorn Hill.
Speaker 4: I mean, you have so many different and you have a super young offensive line exactly that's here for the next three years.
Speaker 2: Right, So you have you have the offensive line. So you're gonna you're gonna be missing Somala. Well, everybody's gonna be missing somebody. You you have a you have a place, a very plausible replacement, and then you can go get more guys in the draft. Right, and again we're not talking about the quarterback position. You trade it for dk met guy, then you signed him to a long term deal. He's still in his prime. So and then you drafted Caleb Johnson at the running back position, and your your receivers are young, you're hoping Roman Wilson emerges.
Speaker 4: And you know so that you got two young guys, I mean Calvin Austin as well. You tighten you hope he eop he hope he comes into his.
Speaker 3: Own right, Your tight ends are fine? Right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know so, uh so most of that offense minus the quarterback. And again, and that's not part of this exercise. They're here through twenty three, right or twenty twenty seven through twenty seven, Yeah, the next three years.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they're here through twenty seven for the next three years. So that's shaping up pretty solid. Remember again, this is this is no quarterback, right yeah. And then defensively, they're talking about the aging guys. Well, okay, so if you want to say, hey, three years from now, you know Cam Hayward's not gonna be the same player, or you know, you know Darius Slay is going to be gone. Okay, Well, you signed TJ. Watt to an extension that keeps him here. You have high Smith on the other side, you have herbig backing them up this year. There's way is to draft young guys. So you got it. You got a Jack Sawyer. We'll see if he's a guy who's capable of emerging as a good pass rusher. The D line. You short up your D line should be they'll continue to add to that. But that's in pretty good shape. Jalen Ramsey's here for another couple of years. Joey Porter junior, you should be able to, you know, hopefully keep here for a few more years. Again, this sort of notion that it's an aging roster. Maybe in a couple of spots. I think the defense, the defense is what I would say, more mature, but I don't think that's a bad thing. They should be at their prime. I think this is how Max. This is kind of how it goes around the NFL, right, Like you you know, one unit is generally speaking going to be younger than the other. You know, you put your money into something and then you know you're drafting or or a position group. You're drafting younger guys. So those younger guys are on rookie deals. I mean, you know the best time to have that. You know, that quarterback is if he hits it big young man. You got him on a rookie deal for a few years. You don't have to pay him fifty million dollar a year now you can sprinkle that around the rest of your roster. So roster construction, you know, units one aging one younger. Okay, so you know maybe you know, I think they'll continue to draft offensive lineman probably every year. You certainly are going to have to go out, it would seem, and go get a quarterback. You know, that's something they've talked about, a young quarterback. But you know, that's how it works, you know what I mean, That's how you go out and you get a guy. And then again we're talking about the non quarterback position. I look at the rest of the roster. I think it's set up well for the next three years. I don't think it's set up like the twenty second the twenty third best roster for the next three years.
Speaker 3: I just I don't see it.
Speaker 2: Max.
Speaker 4: I feel like they got the ranking confused with our draft position, right, because that's usually the race we're usually drafting somewhere between eighteen and twenty three.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean, that's how it's been.
Speaker 4: We don't get because you're saying, now, if we're the twenty second best roster, let's inverse that right with draft order. So you're saying we're going to be a top ten drafting team in three years. That's that's what they're saying.
Speaker 2: That's what that's what the twenty two overall score is saying. Is that pretty soon? And so again the bold prediction. The Steelers will finish with five or fewer wins in twenty twenty seven. After an unsuccessful twenty twenty five campaign with Rogers. They will make an ill fated attempt to compete again in twenty twenty six with an aging roster. After that fails, they will finally commit to the teardown and rebuild in twenty twenty seven. Once again, this is coming from ESPN and reading that verbatim, five or fewer wins in twenty twenty seven went back to the ninth were finished with five to the early nineties to find that, well, I think you have to go back further than that. Yeah, probably the eighties. What, Yeah, I would have to I'd have to look that up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm sure Westteler is feverishly looking up the last time the Steelers had five or fewer wins. It's been a while. I don't see it happening.
Speaker 3: I mean, And that's my thing, is, like, how brash.
Speaker 2: You have to be here.
Speaker 3: How much do you have to.
Speaker 4: Dislike the Steelers to put that down when it hasn't happened in two decades. Yeah, last time we had six wins and that was a six and ten season was two thousand and.
Speaker 3: Three, you know.
Speaker 5: And again after nineteen eighty eight, now eighty eight, ninety.
Speaker 2: Eight, after an unsuccessful twenty twenty six years old pain with Rogers. I don't I don't see that premise again. I look at this roster and you think, okay, well, Dan Moore's out, Okay, I understand that that's a loss, and Najie Harris is out. Well, you drafted a quarterback or you drafted a running back, you signed a running back and gain well, a lot of people thought Jaalen should right or wrong should have been the running back. Anyway, it feels like that's pretty well covered. And then you're moving your your number one draft pick to left tackle, where he's the position you drafted to being. And then the right tackle is the guy who didn't play at all last year and had already beaten out, uh you know, and was going to start at right tackle. And then you've had a first round draft pick as well, so that sounds to me like kind of a wash. And again we're not talking about well, we are now talking about successful unsuccessful. You're bringing Aaron Rodgers. It's hard for me not to think of that as an upgrade. You have dk Metcalf instead of Pickings, and you have John new Smith. Now I'm trying to think of how that's worse than last year. Maybe it will be, but I'm having a hard time. You're like, I'm like, you know, I'm the Vasco Godama de Gama of thoughts. I'm trying to explore why that makes sense. It doesn't make any sense to me. And then on defense, And on defense, you added, uh, you know, a starter last year in a quality in your defensive line, drafted two guys on your defensive line. Get Cole Holcomb back, sign another linebacker, pick up you know too, all pro cornerbacks. You lost Minkah Fitzpatrick. I'm still trying to figure out how that's worse. And they went to the playoffs last year.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to.
Speaker 2: Figure out how that's going to be an unsuccessful season. But that's why they play the games. Max will find out soon enough, won't.
Speaker 3: We Yeah, we will.
Speaker 4: And I think, you know, this is an exercise of you know, three years, even though I still am disappointed with a one year snapshot.
Speaker 2: After an unsuccessful twenty twenty five campaign.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they think that it'll be well, they didn't put a win total to that one. They're just saying it won't be assex and we don't know what that successful means. True that that's just a very gray area, you know, because are you saying successful as a super Bowl victory or you saying winning a first round game in the playoffs? Like I like, that's that's a very gray area that they don't really kind of expound upon. But at the same time, when we're looking at this three year snapshot, it's like, oh, they're gonna go for it all again in twenty six, and that's when they're gonna get the five wins. And it's like that hasn't been five wins in almost forty years.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty seven, they're gonna they got five wins. Well, let's seay know, let's see where do they have the five wins.
Speaker 4: I took it as twenty twenty six would be the five win season, which would then commit to the rebuild in twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why I thought, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't see that, and I don't see that ever being you know this to you, there's way no, I just not.
Speaker 4: But I think they also overweighted a lot of these one year contract deals and thinking that they're gonna lose a lot of pieces after this season and then oh, you're not gonna hit these moonshots like you did year ago. But it's like, but now it's the moonshofts right now, Like those moonshots could turn the long, longer term contracts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'll say one more thing because we are we we're getting you know, I'm gonna say one more thing because we're grossly heavy. We uh. I mean as a as a program here, Max, Yes, well as a segment, not a program as a segments. So we're going to take a break. I have one more thought to share with Max on the subject. We're going to talk about the scrimmage coming up on Thursday. So lots to get to when we continue inside the locker room with King and Starks, presented by your neighborhood Ford Store. Here on this tee, there's Audio.
Speaker 1: Network Iheartradios live coverage Job Dot twenty twenty five Steelers Training Camp. He's presented by Fatex where Now meets Next and also brought to you by CGR Wholesale Roofing and Signing Supply Center, by Tom's Appliances, by Always Safe Flagging and Traffic Control by Greater Pittsburgh Community Food by Schneider Down, by Hassa's Steak in Seahouse, by your Neighborhood Forward Store, by Castle Rock, by Clearview Federal Credit VI and by ustel.
Speaker 2: Man. We welcomed me back inside the locker room with King and Stark because any of our neighborhood Ford Store here on the Steelers Audio network, and uh, you know the point I was going to make, and we're one more time. We're crashing about this. This ranking of the Steelers by ESPN, they ranked him as the twenty second best roster in the Futures moving Forward twenty five, twenty six, twenty seven. So they they break it down, what does your overall roster look like, what does your quarterback look like? How do you rank your front office? How do you rank your coaching? Front office ranks thirteenth, coaching ranks eighth. Now, my I believe in a couple of years, Max, I think, what's gonna happen If I'm going to look into my crystal ball kind of looking crystal ball?
Speaker 3: Sure, why not? Okay, I'm going to look into my crystal.
Speaker 2: Ball, and I'm going to say the Steelers are going to do what Kansas City did. And I don't remember where Kansas City was supposed to draft when they got Patrick Mahomes. I don't remember what their draft.
Speaker 6: I want to say they were twelve and four and won the division.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they were yeah, they were further back.
Speaker 2: I want to say they were like a nineteen to twenty position.
Speaker 4: And they jumped in front of the Arizona Cardinals to take Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 5: Because that was the year they lost to the Steelers in the Boswell Ice Game.
Speaker 6: Yes, eighteen to seventeen or whatever the final score was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so they made the jump in front because they knew the Cardinals needed a quarterback and they jumped in front of them because they knew Patrick Mahomes was going to go there.
Speaker 2: And I want to say they jumped up maybe fourteen or fifteen tenth oh tent was it ten? Yes?
Speaker 5: Oh, they made the big So they traded with Buffalo Buffalo, I was picking tenth. Kansas City sent their first round pick twenty seventh overall and their third round seventh, twenty seventh where they were picking further yep, and their ninety first overall pick in the third round, as well as their first round pick in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: Right, and the bill they created that the Bills, the Bills moved down. They got the twenty seventh pick, so they the Bills, the.
Speaker 6: Bills used that capital to go get Josh Allen the following year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they got a third, They got a third in the first Right. So, so, by the way, in my in my never ending uh and feudal attempt to clean up our English language, which has resulted, by the way, for those who are listening with us, no longer describing vanilla offenses. That's vanilla sic. Yeah, basic, we're saving that for flavoring. I am on a one man crusade to call draft capital simply draft picks. Is that we got anybody on board.
Speaker 4: On that or that like draft that's fair because that's actually the layman term for that.
Speaker 6: No, no, sorry, I can't do it.
Speaker 3: Capital.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it makes me sound smarter than I actually am.
Speaker 4: That makes you sound like an investment advice exactly.
Speaker 6: You sound like a day trader, all right, Like I'm in the big short over here.
Speaker 2: I can't keep up. I can't keep up with the linguistic changes. Okay, so that's a one man crusade. So what I was going to get back become capital. Capital does not become picks. Boom, thank you.
Speaker 3: So well, you can say picks and it equals capital.
Speaker 2: Later, I prefer to say picks.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: That's why you would use picks first, and then I understand those picks are capital for a team, you see, exactly, So I mean it's okay to say picks.
Speaker 2: We're working on it. Yeah, I'd like to think we'll get to the we'll get to the phase where it's no longer draft capital. Anyway, So when we're looking at the when we're looking at the Steelers and what they've accomplished, and we're looking at the other teams around the NF and what they've accomplished, I don't know, as there's another team that's accomplished what the students have accomplished, and people are like, well I did accomplished anything, they haven't won on another Lombardi Trophy. Okay, let's just talk about what they have done where they've gotten to what their record is without that combination of you know, quarterback in his prime and good enough roster around him. It's been a while since the Steelers have had that combination. I can't think of another team that has lacked that combination that's still been able to even get into the playoffs. Yeah, that was the point I was going to make. And I wanted to bring up the Mahomes thing because you know, there's this belief out there that you have to be terrible to go get the number one quarterback, right, you have to draft that guy. And by the way, that's no assurance, right, you might get a you might be terrible in a year. Like a couple of years ago, the Steelers drafted Kenny Pickett. They were hoping he's going to be the guy. I don't know if there's a franchise quarterback that came out of that draft. Is there? No?
Speaker 3: Not one? Right?
Speaker 2: So, and then looky Trac I mean, and then Lea Willis, and then look at all of the you know, just in recent history, now Bryce Young has started to play better. Right, he came on at the end of last year. We're going to see him in a couple of weeks. But you know, the guy down in Houston and was like, well, that should have been the number one pick you had. You had to pick of everybody, and you took the wrong guy. People were saying that for a while about Baker Mayfield. Well, Baker Mayfield might have just been in the wrong situation. And again, whether he is that guy. Is Baker that guy that elevates a team and becomes an elite level quarterback, I'm not sure about that. He is a good player, and I think that the Browns did a good job trading him in a bad job getting rid of him, a good job drafting him at a bad job getting rid of m I should say.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: The point is it's very difficult and to win without that. And the other point is you just look at them home straight. You do not have to be terrible to get a franchise quarterback. What you have to do if you're a team like the Steelers, who I believe are going to have another good season this year and are going to be drafting late in the first round. Once again, what you have to do is do what the Chiefs did and what I don't know. There's a lot of examples of this. But trade up and get your guy, and then if he's the right guy, it doesn't matter what you gave up for. It doesn't matter. I mean, you give up this year's first, you give up next year's first, you give up this year's third, maybe give up next year's third. It doesn't matter. If he's the right guy. It's the position is that important to the success of an NFL team.
Speaker 3: So you don't have to tank.
Speaker 2: You don't have to quote unquote finally commit to a rebuild. You just have to And I think this too. This has done a good job of this. They've put the roster in pretty good shape. And think about I think about if they did this next year, Right, we're gonna go out and get this. We're gonna go out and we're gonna trade up. We're gonna trade all our picks, and we're gonna get a rookie quarterback. Okay, so if you're a rookie quarterback. Now the Bears now are trying to help Jade and Daniels there. Now they've bolstered up the offensive line and they've made all these moves, right, that's what That's what it looks like when you're terrible and you draft a quarterback Bryce Young taking his lumps down in Carolina, right, because you were terrible, So that allowed you to get the quarterback you wanted. Now you have to build the rest of the team around him, so this guy is not emotionally shattered for the rest of his career or physically shattered because you can't block four. Right now, think about what the Chiefs did. The Chiefs already had a good team and they traded up and got Patrick Mahomes. Think about what the Steelers have built here if they decide to go this route next year. And this is all academic exercise of what might happen. Okay, well, you're going to walk into a situation where you have a number one receiver, other options, three good tight ends, four fifths of an offensive line for sure, maybe even the entire offensive line, a second year running back, two other running backs. What's a better situation for a young quarterback to enter? How would you prefer to win with that door or the other door that's been in Chicago and Carolina, where now you have to backfill that roster because you got that guy by dint of being terrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I agree.
Speaker 4: I mean I think you know you always want to try and be a year ahead of the curve. I mean that was what always Kevin Colbert's philosophy was was to you know, you want to you know, and Bill Belichick famously said this, right, I would rather let a guy go a year early than to hold on to him a year too long. Right, So you know, and even in you know, the Kansas City experiments so to speak, Right, Alex Smith wasn't wasn't a bad quarterback.
Speaker 3: He's still in his prime.
Speaker 4: But you went and you still got Patrick mahonmes because you knew eventually you're gonna have to replace Alex Smith, right, you needed somebody who's gonna be an X factor, and you didn't mind having him sit. Aaron Rodgers behind Brett farre Right, he sat before Drew Brees, you know, was there before Philip Rivers got there. You know the Green Bay now right, Yeah, Jordan loves Jordan there and waited, So you know, you'd like to have that type of essnsion because look at let's face it, I mean when you think about Green Bay when they brought Brett fav Up there. They have sequentially done it right. They've they've stuck with their pick, groomed him. You got him a little bit early. You know, you picked banana while it's still green. You don't get it while it's yellow, at the height of ripeness, and they waited for it to mature and then they made the move to move on.
Speaker 2: That's what That's the luxury you would love to have.
Speaker 4: But fortunately, the way that teams are constructed now and the way that coaches have to win now, so you can't really have that type of comfortability, so to speak, where you could draft for the future knowing that your job is secure.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: The Steelers have been in a blessed position having the same coach for eighteen plus years going into a nineteenth year.
Speaker 3: You can do that.
Speaker 4: You could have done that, but you also have been in his prime right, you know, for a majority of them. You know he had first fifteen years, you had been Roethlisberger, and you didn't have anything to worry about, and then you did try and go get those guys, and look, Mason Rudolph is still in this roster right, but he wasn't necessarily the starter that we wanted, but he's been a valuable pick from twenty eighteen. You know, he's been here, he's gone in, he's won you games, he's gotten you to the playoffs, he's shown that he can be that quality guy just as a backup. Hitting a starting quarterback that's gonna be a franchise guy for twenty years is essentially like trying to throw a dart twenty five yards in the dark and trying to hit a bullseye. Right, right, Well, that's about how futile the exercise is. And I think that's the toughest part that we kind of extrapolate, and that's why we see these numbers that we do.
Speaker 2: And I agree, and I think that you know, if the Steelers go down that road of trading everything to get the franchise quarterback, and my statement was, if it's the right guy, it doesn't matter what you gave up, And I think that's true. If it's the wrong guy, it matters very much what you gave up, right, because now you've given up this year's first, next year's first, this year's third, next year's third. Right now you have set your ability back to go back out again and try to get that guy Now, there's other ways you can maybe get a guy in free agency, but when's the last time a franchise quarterback has hit free agency? Teams don't allow those guys to slip away. So you know, and here's the other thing too, that you know, as long as other places are making bold predictions, I will make this prediction. You know, if the Steelers go out and get that guy next year. Let's say they go out and and make this trade, and they go out and get that guy, right, that front office ranking for the Steelers is going to be completely re evaluated. People are going to look up and say, whoa man they traded for Metcalf. Hey, look what they did with the offensive line. Boy, that Caleb Johnson's pretty good. Hey, they really did a nice job of regenerating your defense. Boy, this is a pretty good front office.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's that's just the way it's gonna go. So anyway, Max, I think that even though I'd listen, man, I could talk about this subject for a week, I do think we need to move on.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: We haven't talked about Saturday's game, and I know you have guys you want to talk about. I'd love to look back to Saturday's game. I'd love to look forward to Thursday scrimmage. Yes, good, okay, good, We're gonna do all of that stuff. We're gonna begin to do all that stuff when we continue next on the Locker Room with King and Starks, presented by your neighborhood Ford Stour here on the Steelers Audio.
Speaker 1: Network, Iheartradios. Live coverage of twenty twenty five Steelers training Camp is presented by Fatx where now meets Next, and also brought to you by First National Bank, by Kalucy Chevrolet, Byron Workers Union Number Three, by Easy Home Mixteriors, by SMT Bank, Wemax Select Realty, by Tom's Appliances, the Pittsburgh Steelers Pro Shop, by Always Safe Flagging and Traffic Control, and by US Steel.
Speaker 2: And we welcome back inside the Locker Room with Kings Arch presented by your neighborhood Ford Store here on the Steelers Audio Network. So we have made our feelings known about the rankings of the Steelers' roster for twenty five through twenty seven by the Worldwide Leader in Sports. We disagree with it, but they're entitled to their opinion, and I have said that I will apologize to them if they're right at the end of the season. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I'm going to, but.
Speaker 4: Technically that work for him, so you know, I'll just I'll just be like shucks, you know, understood, but work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that will work. I don't know if I can give them me a kopa. But yeah.
Speaker 2: We have not a ton of time left in this segment. But again too, our two will be we have our review to review. Give us your quick assessment of what you thought of the Steelers' performance in the first preseason game against Jacksonville on Saturday night at Jacksonville. And again keep in mind that Jacksonville played their starters. They had a starter down on each side due to injury, so they went ten starters on each side. The Steelers went four starters on offense and two on defense. I believe was the number that we came up with. So your thoughts on on what you saw, you know, just give us a brief overview, and then after that brief overview, we will get into the next hour specific guys that you liked and you thought stood out and that you thought helped themselves.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: Here here's the briefest overview I can give a performance solid highlight depth.
Speaker 3: They're good.
Speaker 2: No, oh go longer?
Speaker 7: Well yeah, no, no, that's too brief. You said, you said brief. I was like, hey, I'm gonna give it to you as short as it. I will give you two word answers brief.
Speaker 3: Two Yeah exactly. Yeah. When have we ever said okay?
Speaker 2: So no, but I would say this, I would say the performance was.
Speaker 4: A solid, solid, think about not game planning, not playing, you know again, not playing with a host of starters. You really showcase your depth, and I think for a Mason Rudolph, you couldn't have asked for a better performance from him in those first two drives, right, walk it down the field on the one defense and end in a touchdown. Their ones tried to walk down on our defense, Ben, but don't break field goal. So you say, right there, apples to apples. Our twos look better than your ones. That's what we're saying right now. So that gives another kudos to the depth. Then, of course, Skyler Thompson, your fourth string quarterback, was carving up that defense three touchdowns in his time in the game and a high percentage over seventy four percent completion percentage in that in that in that route, and yeah, it was a closer game.
Speaker 2: It was a it was a one score game. But considering what.
Speaker 4: We had versus what they had, you know, it was a solid performance for our team. The young guys played better than expected. Defensively, you know, if I'm gonna go with the negative, not enough pressure on the quarter. It did not get a sack, yep, whereas their defense got two sacks in that affair. Noe, that one interception that was had was called back, so we would have had a turnover in that game, missed the turnover opportunity. Offensively, run efficiency wasn't there. It had moments, but it wasn't there. But the passing game and protection and route running was super crisp, super clean for a guys that are fourth and fifth down down the depth chart played really well And hello, mister Roman Wilson, welcome to the NFL. Had a solid performance out there with the ones as well. So I think that's kind of where my highlights going.
Speaker 3: What the snapshot looks like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one thing that I would add to the overview, and I agree with all of that. I agree with you know, basically your twos against their one and the ones, and they're started there, you're you know, they're trying to start fresh and all that other stuff. And you know, we remember Bill Cower taking a lot of his starts out and going up the Buffalo years ago because it's a game the Steelers didn't need to win. And Max, I believe you were on that team, correct.
Speaker 3: That when I first started left Guard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so they're starting place of starting young bucks like Max Starks and others. And you went up there with a lot of your two's and beat their ones. And it was a pretty solid Buffalo team that needed that game. They needed to win to make the playoffs. And so people were howling, oh, this steerer the integrity of the game, and which is a completely different subject than I understand where people would go there. I have mixed feelings about that myself. You know, hey, for the good of the game, the integrity, year one should be playing their ones and and all that didn't matter because you guys went up in a game Buffalo had to win and you beat them well.
Speaker 4: And also we had sewed up the one seed at that point. We're fourteen and one going in right yep. So it was like, we know we have a longer push ahead of us with a young quarterback that it had that that had set the rookie start record. Uh, you know, I should say reset that record for most wins by a rookie quarterback before their first loss. So it's like why tempted fate and Charlie Batch came in that game.
Speaker 3: Chucky A. Kobe came in at center.
Speaker 4: So Jeff Hardings and Allen Fanica set out for myself and Chucky to go in. You know, we set out I want to say we also set out, uh peasey and put in James Harrison in that game at some point as well. We also had some young linebackers believe Crimp cl Clint Creek, Walt god I just because we used to call him Buddy Lee so I could get away from the tongue tie. But we Buddy Lee went in and the inside backer positions.
Speaker 3: Uh, we had a lot of guys.
Speaker 2: Brett Kezel came in. We sat Chemo.
Speaker 4: I mean, we set a lot of starters because we're like, what else do we need to prove we got the one seed? You know, it's like and for that game, you know it's important and maybe you're trying to give Buffalo a shot, but really not really, you know, give them a chance at it, and they still didn't.
Speaker 2: We ended up winning that game, so you know, it was it was one of those that was tough.
Speaker 4: I believe Verron had a lot of carries that game as well, Haynes over Jerome because Jerome I believe set out and Deuce I believe set out.
Speaker 3: So I mean, you know, that's what it is.
Speaker 2: And like you said, the integrity.
Speaker 4: We could talk about how many years did Tony Dungee set out all of his starters in the last week of the season, right, you know, And and Bill Belichick did the same thing, you know.
Speaker 2: So yeah, And as it relates to this game, because that is another subject and maybe one will we'll tackle inside the locker room, But as it relates to this game, that's what sprung to my mind is that your twos went down to beat their ones. Now, Buffalo a different story. That was that was a better team I think than this Jacksonville team certainly was last year. And it was a regular season game versus the preseason game. But the same thing, when your twos go out and beat the other team's ones, you're feeling awfully good about your depth, even if it's just for a quarter or so in a preseason game down in Jacksonville. We're just looking for signs. We have more looking and more signs and more analysis from Max Starks. We're gonna get into the guys that Max really thought stood out in this preseason game. We're also going to look forward to the scrimmage coming up because we've got another game coming up against Tampa Bay. There's gonna be a scrimmage. What does that mean for the guys as they break camp and get into this scrimmage. We'll talk about that and more when we continue inside the locker room with King and Starks, presented by your neighborhood Ford Store. Here on the Steel there's Audio Network