Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal hull. For me, I'm a.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm forty.
Speaker 1: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 3: You want to be happy for a day? Edith Stake, is that whoo whoom and.
Speaker 1: Then and tie? You know, we did our week nine preview, Dan, we called it still into You Saturday. Yeah, I'm wondering if we're still into calling it still into you after we saw the influx of backups and the impact that they had in week nine, after we saw the influx of survival games. It was not a loaded week from the standpoint of there being monster upsets, major earth shattering storylines for us to discuss on this episode that we're recording at midnight Eastern on Saturday, but in some way, shape or form, as we come to know, in college football, there are always interesting things to talk about, and we're going to go into those here over the next hours. So, my friend, how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good? What about Sideline getting loose Saturday for the number of backup quarterbacks Marcel Reid Drew Pine. I think it was what Brendan rose for Utah after they Sir Isaac Wilson was benched the number Bo Pribula Penn state the number of backup quarterbacks, either because the starter wasn't working out, Connor Wagman, Marcel Reid comes in, or there's an injury Drew Aller. Was it a knee situation?
Speaker 1: For it was ankle? They said knee on the broadcast, but there's no way it would have been a knee if he's just standing there kind of willy nilly on the sideline. So I'm going with ankle my official diagnosis.
Speaker 3: I think Baron Morton went down for Texas Tech. So sideline getting loose Saturday it was, Yeah, it was a survival Saturday. There's a lot to talk about here. I'm doing great. I hope you're doing great. You're on little to no sleep. Which greatest show we've ever done? Worst show we've ever done? You better stay tuned to find out.
Speaker 1: We'll find out. Yeah, talk to us in about an hour or so. Thank you to one and all for downloading, for listening, for watching, for supporting. If you want to continue helping us on that journey, make sure you hit follow if you're new here. If you aren't, make sure you tell a friend. Leave us a review out on Apple podcasts, Leave us a star rating wherever you can. All of that stuff really helps. Of course, bright and early tomorrow the new Verballer Top twelve pole is going to go live. You can vote out at for ballers dot com if you're a certified or Premium member out there. I don't know how much movement we're going to see as a result of the action in week nine, but suffice to say there was a fair amount of survival going on in and around the world of College Trip over the next hour. So we're going to go through what we deem kind of the Big twelve, the Big twelve things that transpired over the course of the weekend, which of course started a little bit earlier, as it has for the last couple of weeks. Now. Then we had games on Thursday and Friday and of course Saturday that we need to get into here, Dan.
Speaker 3: I some Liberty won and comm Accord was super accurate. I don't need to go through it super closely.
Speaker 1: Yes, No, may want to hold off on that asside. Okay, Fy, what was the big story for you after having watched everything in week twelve or week what was the big story for you after having watched everything in week nine?
Speaker 3: Is it week twelve already, Oh my god, Top twelve week nine, you know, yes, yes, yeah, Top eleven or twelve things week nine. I mean the theme is survival, right when you look across the sport, when you look at Ohio State, when you look at Texas, when you look at Kansas State surviving, I don't know, they made like a ninety one yard field goal. I don't know what these number. These numbers are getting cartoonish right now. But top teams, top fifteen, twenty teams, slow start for Penn State losing a quarterback, they survive on the road in a tough environment, like it doesn't matter how good or average Wisconsin is week to week. That is a tough place to win. And what Penn State was able to do it's survival, and so thematically that's what it is. But when you look at those top few teams, especially Ohio State and Texas, I think those are the ones, especially because their opponents were probably somewhere between okay and pretty good. But these teams are built to not have to fully compete with Vanderbilt and Nebraska the way those teams are constructed at the moment, I think, but winning is better than losing. So I guess you know, I think that the top clunker performances in a survival way where the or the story.
Speaker 1: Well, I actually had the Marcel Read performance against.
Speaker 3: He was the best reliever. I mean it is World Series time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had that as kind of my top thing, which we'll get into. I also had Penn State up at the top. But since you brought it up, why don't we talk about the Ohio State and Texas situation because that was about as close as I think we got to actual upsets. Shout out to Roger Simon's father and Woe a Blue Car.
Speaker 3: Okay, those are.
Speaker 1: Two of other ballers who are out an active out on college Football Reddit who were posting about this, and they said it best win your clunkers, Dan, win your clunkers. So Ohio State did win over Nebraska. The game was at home, twenty one to seventeen. It was a bit of a nail bier, which is why yes by off bye with Penn State on deck, which is to say, of course that Nebraska had the ball with the chance to win late they did not. Ohio State intercepts it game over. But if you zoom out and look at what transpired, in this game. It kind of had the hallmarks of rusty, hallmarks of Russ. Ohio State won for ten on third downs. They couldn't run the ball. Matt Ruhle in the post games that he loved his defense basically gave up three plays that he liked back, those being the three touchdowns from Will Howard. You know who knows what happens if Ohio State doesn't get to stop when they got to stop, If in fact, Nebraska is able to go down the field and score and win the game. But this is one of those deals where you're sort of looking and you're panning, and you're seeing the scores kind of go across the bottom line, you wrinkle your brow. Really, Ohio State was a twenty five and a half point favor coming into this one. Dan They win by four at home.
Speaker 3: So Ohio State down there. Starting left tackle for the season, Josh Simmons went down against Oregon, obviously not playing against Nebraska. They lose another tackle. They're shifting things all over on their offensive line. Will Howard looked like a Heisman caliber quarterback in the very game, and Chip Kelly from the booth saw ah Man. Will Howard is nailing it man, he's I mean, it's Carnell Tate, it's Jeremiah Smith. He looks comfortable, he looks accurate, he looks like he's dealing What if we ran at it behind a beat up offensive line? Far be it for me to question ship Kelly. Chip Kelly is given me some incredible college football memories as an Oregon human. But this one seemed a little bit backwards, and I don't know if it were you know, RPO decisions, whatever it was. Chip Kelly is known for his ability to craft a sensational run game and run offense for a number of teams. Did it at Oregon, UCLA did with the Eagles for a little while, if memory serves forty nine ers. While, but yeah, yeah has incredible running backs at Ohio State doesn't necessarily have a consistently incredible running game, at least not recently against defenses like Oregon's and Nebraska's. I kind of wonder why they weren't just airing it out a little bit more and leaning into what was working, especially after seeing what Curtis Roork and Tavin Jackson were able to do against the Nebraska secondary and pass defense last week. So that was curious to me, But Ohio States survived. Maybe they took some lessons from this, but it was an ugly win against I still think Nebraska's defense is pretty good, pretty tough. I thought the game planned really nicely terms of corraling the running game and forcing a lot of pressure on this offensive line on the ground. Unacceptable from my late tech salesman. Playoff team of Ohio State.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw the meme going around on social media, the two guys kind of arm wrestling. On one side Penn State fans saying will this be good enough against Ohio State? And on the other it's Ohio State fans saying will this be good enough against Penn State?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Right? It was one of those weekends for sure in the Big Ten. So how State does win? I take away from whatever you want or take whatever you want away from that win. The other one that we should mention here at the top if we are talking about survival is the Texas game. Yes, so Texas goes to Vandy. Everybody at this point the book is out on Vandy. The book's out on Diego Pavia. He's like a folk hero.
Speaker 3: That he's good, that they are a good football team.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're good, they're ranked football team. Diego Pavia is a bit of a giant killer, right, he has that reputation, And there were moments in this game where didn't feel like, especially later in the game, it didn't feel like they were going to be able to conjure up that magic. And then lo and behold, they friggin do it. They freaking do it again. They find a way to score late. He somehow threads a needle to get the score late to twenty four seventeen in favor of Texas. Eventually they do get the ball back. They have an opportunity at that point, though it just wasn't happening. So it didn't happen for Vandy the way it did in that Bamba game a few weeks back. But the fact that Texas goes into Vandy, the fact that they end up struggling like other teams are struggled, was was meaningful and definitely worthy of our discussion. What's interesting to me, though, is I kind of feel different about this one than I do the Ohio State one. Okay, why In this one? For sure, I felt like the story was quinn yours. It wasn't. It wasn't so much Diego Pavia and the magic of Van Built and their ability to take teams to the wire that we perceive as being better. This is Quinn Yours actually stepping up at a really big spot, and given some of what he has gone through this season and the Georgia game, right Like, there were rumors this past week maybe he's going to sit out. That was not a real rumor, Okay, but I might go the other way. Continue. I just thought that this is a pretty good performance by him, given everything that's transpired now over the last month and a half or so.
Speaker 3: You can go in a couple of different directions with this. The offensive line struggled again and got pushed around. They got pushed around by Georgia, and Vanderbilt was able to find ways to pressure quin Yours. I came away being impressed by some quin Yours throws, but having the same concerns I think a lot of us have had these past couple of years where he seems to tighten up a little bit and the quality that you would love to see. And look, he has a playoff quarterback he helped to lead. He didn't play in every game last year, he played in the playoff. He was the best quarterback on this team last season when they went to the four team playoff. But there are just some moments where you're just like, man, if he really needs to win a game, if the run game isn't there, if the defense isn't there, and the defense has largely been there, the offense has just been putting the Texas defense in a bad position. And last week we saw it against Georgia that the line was not able to weather the Georgia front and Vanderbilt was able to get a bunch of pressure on quinn yours and he seems four stretches a little bit rattled to me. I don't know. I think he's good, but I think there are limitations to this offense right now. I think the skill talent is good, as beat up as this running back room still is. I don't know. I think Texas is good. I don't think Texas fans should fully freak out like football's hard, The sec is hard, Going on the road to play a good team is hard. But I think the early part of Texas's season maybe mischaracterized this team as arriving once again without hiccups.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean to the point though, on Quinnewers. I'm looking at this Texas rushing line right now, Yeah, and I see Quintravion Wisner Wiser with seventeen carries seventy nine yards with a long of twenty. I see Jayden Blue ten carries forty seven yards long of twenty three. With the exception of basically a couple big plays, Texas didn't run and if they were gonna win, this is going to be on Quinnewers in the defense. And so he had those two tip passes and for short that there are moments where he does tighten up, but they needed him in this game. They escape twenty seven to twenty four. As your final Texas moves on, they will probably remain a top five team. I don't know if I don't think they should fall as a result of this. But another thin win that transpires squaring off against Vanderbilt, which is one of the craziest stories we could have imagined the season.
Speaker 3: I agree, I agree, And Vandy was right there. There was an on side kick right for Vandy to try and tie this game. Lights that's where we were in this matchup. Texas was favored by how many points eighteen and a half points Dan eighteen and a half points. No, the story to me is Vanderbilt's continued wave of quality against anybody and everybody they play, and Texas not fully adapting over the course of these games. They seem like Texas was going to slow, like maybe a crockpot situation. In this game, Vanderbilt just kept common. And I don't know at this point in the season, week nine, and I know when yours has been beat up, he's still coming back physically. I don't know. I feel as if Texas the pop that Texas showed early is not necessarily showing itself in that same way as the schedule has gotten clearly more difficult.
Speaker 1: Well, let's stay in the sec then, and let's talk about Marcel Reid please. Marcel Reid is sort of the flag bearer this week for is the backup better than the starter?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: Is that where we're at. I don't think Marcel Reid is the passer that Connor Wigman is or sometimes is, or sometimes is Noah, But there is no denying he gave them a pop. Yes, when he came in, he scored led a scoring drive. I should say on all five of the second half possessions that he took part in. Four of them were touchdowns, one was a field goal. And they brought him in at a moment in this game against LSU. They're at home. LSU seemingly had the best of their offense. They just could not crack this LSU defense, which in and of itself is kind of a story. Give it where LSU was at a year ago. They bring in Marcel Reids. Suddenly it's like the floodgates open. LSU can't stop anything. Was out there sling it around and I think only through two passes. Had one beautiful long throw, dude, that.
Speaker 3: Was a no no, no, no, no, yes throw. It was at Noah Thomas who caught it up the middle about fifty some idrs.
Speaker 1: Beautiful throw just sort of like lurches back and guns of deep hit him in stride is beautiful. But just the ability to bring him in for Mike Elko and offer something of a change of pace. The way it flipped the game and how quickly it flipped the game is really really interesting to discuss here. If I'm a Texas A and M fan, I'm wondering, now, what does the game plan look like moving forward? Because if you look at A and M schedule, the rest of the way, A and M might be the best team in the SEC, or they might at least get to that championship game in the SEC.
Speaker 3: If they're in that conversation for sure, given their record and the way that they've beaten teams, as led by their defense and defensive improvement over the course of these games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you find yourself, I think if you're a fan of the team wondering what is the game plan?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Do we go back to Wigman? Is it again one of these deals where we're gonna play two quarterbacks. There's gonna be a package from Marcel Reid. His ability to step in in a relief effort, yes, and dominate LSU was incredible.
Speaker 3: It really was. And look it's at home for Texas A and M. But the atmosphere was foreboding, right, the vibes were down when LSU was up what seventeen to seven, Garrett Nusmeyer making big throws. LSU receivers was Aaron Anderson who had the long catch and run. Like there was a lot going right for LSU. They showed the clips of like guys getting into it with each other the pre game, the lsun A and like things were getting chippy.
Speaker 1: Very pedantic. It seemed. It seemed very like I was expecting either a full blown fight or it was aggressive nudges. Aggressive nudges. Yeah, it was very strange.
Speaker 3: There was like Garrett Nussmeier sort of taunting A and M players into personal fact, like there was all sorts of stuff happening, and the A and M defense.
Speaker 1: Got filthy tie over the.
Speaker 3: Course of this game. They got physical, they were hitting, They got bigger and angry over the course of this game. And you're right about Marcel Reid that comes in with his legs, with his arm, not as much perhaps as his legs, but just the general I don't know, the general mood of this A and M offense lifted so much when he got in there. Connor Wagman was struggling with accuracy and decision making. And I don't know what Marcel Reid's ceiling is as a thrower, as somebody who can lead this team against teams like Texas at the end of the year, that defense, the Georgia defense, if they play like I don't.
Speaker 4: Know, but.
Speaker 3: He seems to move the ball in the correct direction more often, and so to me, if he has more reps with the ones in practice, if Colin Klein can say, Okay, this is the new shape of our offense when we have Marcel Reid, and as this season goes on, they become pretty scary. I mean they are pretty scary. They are pretty scary. It'd be pretty scary down seventeen seven they win this game. What thirty eight twenty three, I don't know, man, that's a that's a pretty nice night if you're an aggie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's it's almost as if Brian Kelly had no answer. Almost they had no answer when he came in. I mean, they just didn't they they couldn't stop them. They didn't know how to stop him. And it looked like BK was ready to pull his hair out. Yeah, on the sidelines. And you know, the same is true to some extent. I would say with the Penn State wisconsint game, which by the way, yours truly nailed the final score of twenty eight thirteen, is that true? It's one hundred percent, Trio. I went back and I checked my document.
Speaker 3: And you were like, you know, call me crazy. I could see Drew Aller getting hurt right before halftime, and there's gonna be Boprabula a little spark off the bench. Yeah, that's what you said in the preview.
Speaker 1: Continue Drew Aller did injure something, some sort of lower leg injury. Now is like I guess we refer to it in college football. She kind of drives me crazy. Yeah, I don't know if it was a knee tweak. I don't know if it was ankle. James Franklin, I think we know by now will not tell us what it is because he's prickly about these sorts of things. But whatever it was, Drew didn't come back in the game, and that meant it was bow time. It was time for Penn State's version of Doctor Bow was in effect. Trace mcsorly two point zero, And I felt kind of crazy thinking this as I was watching bo Prabula just move the ball at will out there with this offense. But I started genuinely having thoughts like should this guy be the starter? And I don't think he's gotten near the ceiling of Drew Maler And I almost feel dirty even thinking it. But there was definitely a shift when he came in. Their ability to use all of the running backs kind of in tandem playoff that read option that he runs pretty well. He threw the ball pretty well. I have seen other instances of bo Pribuela where he does not throw the ball nearly as well. But they had this defense on skates. This defense much like the LSU defense I'm talking about. Wisconsin here was not prepared for Prebuela to come in and have that kind of impact. They were prepared for him to come in at moments, a package down by the goal line if you need a third and one, that type of thing, but certainly not to play the entirety of the second half. He was really good. He looked really good, He was in command. It just kept much like the A and M thing, just kind of kept humming. It felt like momentum was entirely at their back, and again Penn State ends up getting a w road spot in Madison. Now they go next week into Ohio State, which of course will preview on Thursday. But a big road win and he was able to help change their fortunes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, on the other side, Wisconsin's offense, I don't know what you do at this point. It doesn't seem like a passing game will exist against a quality team in the near future. For Wisconsin as much as they move the ball in a balanced way, I believe. Against Rutgers and Purdue and to a lesser extent Northwestern, he scored twenty plus points. That counts to something against equality defense. And if you look at what Penn State fans do not love Tom Allen, they don't love him that much, especially early on in games when teams are able to come out and execute a game plan with not a ton of resistance. You saw it against USC obviously. You saw it earlier in the season against team like Bowling Green and Wisconsin was able to move the ball with some success early. And that's another team that seems to get stronger as the game goes on, bringing a little bit more pressure in the second half. But Wisconsin, like there has to be an off season retreat to one of the thousands of lakes in the great state of Wisconsin to say, what are we doing on offense? Who are the quarterbacks we need to be recruiting, What types of offensive linemen should we be recruiting. How much money are we throwing at receivers in the portal are we throwing are we running five tight end sets? What are we doing? What is the actual vision for this offense because you bring in Phil Longo, who had all sorts of success in a couple different places. They don't have the receivers to be wide open. They have good running back play here and there. The offensive line play is uneven over the course of the season. And it'd be cool if Braydon Locke worked out. It doesn't seem like he's working out. He didn't obviously win the starting job for this team, and so I think there's a lot of inward searching that needs to be done with Wisconsin because it's just not happening against these quality teams.
Speaker 1: Well, the irony is that he did have guys open in this game, and well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, drops in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah he had guys open. He was horrible.
Speaker 3: He's yeah, he's.
Speaker 1: Try not to use language like that, but throws well, let's just call it what it is. There were moments in this game where he I jotted down in our note sheet that he like forgot to do the firmware update. Right, he was like glitching really bad. One hop Charlie's airmailing it.
Speaker 3: Like air mailing like six yard outs. Yeah, it was really bad.
Speaker 1: The interception, the pick six that he threw that kind of swung momentum in favor of Penn State. Yeah, I don't know how. I mean, they're wearing white, all literally all white in the middle of threw it right close. So I just I, you know, maybe he's not the dude, right clearly, I think he's kind of made that case and he's not the dude, but given circumstances, he has to be. I think you're right, there needs to be some sort of soul searching going on. You're Luke Fickle and that offensive staff, like, it may not be the year this year, but at some point we got to figure out what we're doing here because.
Speaker 3: Or did desbon Ridder make this guy's entire career? Yeah, I hope not, because I still am a believer in Luke Fickle, because I think this defense is improving and should turn into one of the Big ten's better defenses. But and look, this is a backup quarterback. It was a backup quarterback last year, was a backup quarterback this year. It's a tough watch.
Speaker 1: It's real, it's a really tough watch. Yeah, but all due credit to Penn State. Penn State changed its game plan. They did it out of necessity. It'll be interesting to see what they look like next week, because it wasn't just alar denied. Dennis Sutton was out for a good chunk of the second half. They also had a lineman get hurt. So at this point in the season, it's gonna be Week ten. Everybody's a bit nicked up.
Speaker 3: I like by the way that you're like, maybe pol Pabula is the guy who's next for Penn State. Congratulations, Bo Pabula, you might be the guy maybe if Drew Aller's injured, especially Ohio State.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't like those odds. Yeah, frankly of Bo Pribula going against that defense. And I still think Drew Aller's the guy. But the ease with which he helped move the ball down the field with this offense. I'm only a simple man. I hear it asked that question. If this is a team that you care.
Speaker 3: About, here, who's a I was gonna say, not the guy for Penn State. Anybody in that receiver room, not pass catcher Tyler Warren is the guy for sure. He is the offensive weapon, or at least was after the USC game. And I still think has the highest ceiling of anybody who can catch the ball or do whatever with the ball on this team. There's no receivers. I tweeted out, where are all these five ten dudes? Where's kJ Hamler, Where's Johan Dotson? We're all these dudes. I know Taylor Stubblefield's is not the receivers coach anymore. Can't find a guy in Virginia. You can't find a guy in Metro Detroit. What's going on, Penn State? I was so entertained for so long. Entertain me some more, please, I.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm with you. And I don't know if it was the threat of the run that opened things up down the field, but we saw Harrison Wallace get more involved, Liam Clifford get a little bit more involved. But yeah, right, I mean Julian Fleming has basically been anonymous this season. He's had a couple good catches, had a really bad drop this game, but all things considered, that remains the question, just as it was at the start of your Penn State wins by the way twenty eight to thirteen.
Speaker 3: And we're sitting here picking up our Penn State. They were down for a chunk of this game and slowly paced their way to a comfortable.
Speaker 1: Win before we talk about more escapes because we do want to talk about Kansas State and SMU. Why don't we talk about some teams that did not have to pull any kind of escape acts. Sure, let's talk about your Oregon Ducks who won in resounding fashion at home over Illinois. We can talk about BYU going on the road as a dog man and just taking it to UCF and what that means. We can talk about Notre Dame wrecking Navy. We can talk about Bama blanking Maszoo and what that meant. There were a bunch of teams that are highly ranked this week that did sort of assert their dominance, and we don't want to make this all just a dunk contest here. Why don't we talk about some of those? So start with Oregon, because, yeah, we previewed the Oregon game. It was a rank matchup. I don't think either one of us was too sold on Illinois coming into this game. We had some expectations that maybe they'd find a way to muddy it up, but we didn't think the offense was there to go toe to toe with Oregon. What version of Oregon, what version of Illinois did we see?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think Illinois is a decent team, but I don't think decent cuts it against number one team in the country right now with how they're playing, especially in that first half. Oregon came out and absolutely shelled them both on the ground and in the air. They weren't ripping off huge plays on the ground, but it's third and three, they're picking up six, right. The drives are just going and going, and then Dylan Gabriel would find Patrick Herbert or Tesz Johnson or Jordan James out of the backfield. Kenyan Sadik like the ball was just being spread around really nicely, and Oregon just kept driving down the field in scoring and then putting a ton of pressure on Luke Altmeyer and getting punts eventual turnovers. Like it was just it was a lopsided game. The second half felt a little bit I don't know, it was thirty five to three. I think the second half felt a little bit pointless, like Oregon was in a weird gray area between should we be playing backups, let's get another touchdown, or Dylan Gabriels going through the receiving options a little bit slowly as progressions and throws a pick that was not great with the corner peeling off, and so Oregon was just sort of sluggish in the second half. But I mean the entirety of the second half was garbage time when you're up thirty five to three at half time. Oregon did a really nice job got you know, the defensive line still without Jordan Birch, did a great job. They have Michigan this coming week. Who nice little bounce back week for Michigan by the way, Yeah against Michigan State, we'll get there. But no, that was the case with Oregon. I mean, if we're going to do a sidebar here, I was telling you, like, man, what a boring situation Oregon has for me to have to watch all like Oregon, Maryland, Oregon, Michigan State, Oregon, Illinois. Can we just have Oregon, Washington State? Can we just have Oregon, cal we have Oregon, Standford, Oregon, Arizona State.
Speaker 1: Answer is no, Dan, I know, the answer is no.
Speaker 3: But like over it, Audtin, like the student section emptied out before, like the shout between the third and fourth quarter, like this is just not a resonating I know, poor number one team in the country, Tye, I know, but it just feels off to me, Well, we're gonna be in ann.
Speaker 1: Arbor next yees for that Michigan game, And so for those who are watching this live, it will definitely be a more abridged version of our Week ten recap episode. We will do our best to put something out for everybody who I know is very active in the chat and care about the midnight stream, So we'll do something. We're still figuring out exactly what that is. It may not be as all encompassing as a show like this, but Oregon at Michigan really is kind of a big one. I guess left on the schedule the rest of the way. After that, it's Maryland. They play that one in Eugene's a long trip for Maryland. They should win that one.
Speaker 3: Wisconsin is interesting, but we just talked about We've just talked about Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: I don't think they've got what it takes to go toe to toe. They close out against Washington, which, okay, kind of a rivalry in the Pacific Northwest, but still given the state of Washington. Right now, I feel like I like Oregon a whole lot more. I'm looking at my projection sheet now. They're a healthy favorite in that game. Two three score favorite in that game. So, for all intentsive purposes, Oregon, barring any kind of catastrophe, should be able to pencil its way into that Big Ten championship game.
Speaker 3: It's what Minnesota? Is that what you're saying that Minnesota. Minnesota's dropping half a hundo tie, it's a new era.
Speaker 1: Minnesota looked really good this week.
Speaker 3: I think Minnesota against Maryland it's Maryland. Whatever Maryland beat USC. Minnesota may have outscored themselves in their final three games from last year. Tonight, they looked really good. They looked really good in Maryland. Nice even performance continue in.
Speaker 1: That Maryland game. Yeah, Maryland a week after knocking off USC. We thought there might be some letdown potential.
Speaker 4: There was.
Speaker 1: Notre Dame wrecked Navy.
Speaker 4: Dan.
Speaker 1: Yes, we saw this coming. Did you tell me that Clatt picked Navy out right?
Speaker 3: I think so. And let's be clear, with regularity, I picked games confidently incorrect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did it ten times this past week.
Speaker 3: But this Navy Notre Dame game, I didn't. It didn't keep me up at night. I'm just Navy didn't have the defense and they hadn't played a team like Notre Dame, and the just Notre Dame defensive players just hit Navy harder than they were used to being hit these first few games.
Speaker 1: Here's a different Here's what I would tell people. Yeah, we look at forty fifty I games a week. Yeah, even if it's not the kind of thing that we're talking about on the preview, we're looking at the numbers, we're looking at the teams. We're looking just for points of interest, right, so we know all of these as they're coming up. We pay attention to this stuff. The Notre Dame Navy game Dan truly, as we look at our spreadsheets, that was one that jumped out to me as this is a huge mismatch.
Speaker 3: You just look at the size of the defensive players that they played this year.
Speaker 1: With your huge mismatch on paper. They don't play the games on paper. But no, all the data that we had at our disposal, it looked like a huge, huge mismatch. This is the four straight game that Notre Dame scored at least thirty points. Their offense continues, I think to get better. What was uncharacteristic in this game for Navy, and that could be because they were going up against maybe the better defense. Are the best defense they've seen all season. Notre Dame for six turnovers, five of which were fumbles. Navy hadn't lost a fumble at all the season coming into this game, right, so to lose five one game, it's you know, a Navy's coach talked about this in the post game a little bit, saying, well, baby, playing this one in MetLife Stadium in East Ruththerford in the middle of this undefeated season was a little too much for us. We played a little bit outside ourselves here, but by and large it was still Notre Dame was better in every facet. Six turnovers, We'll do that to you. Notre Dame scored twenty seven points off those turnovers. So not a whole lot for me to take away other than to just reiterate the trend line for Notre Dame is definitely pointed up and to the right, at least from an offensive standpoint.
Speaker 3: It just seemed every play for Notre Dame was positive in some way. That Riley Leonard was ripping off like eight yards of carry, Jeremiah Love was ripping off eight yards of carry. By the way. On the other side, I think it was relatively early on Blake Horvath, who I think was limited handwise, he had a bum thumb coming into this game. Sensational touchdown run oh field fifty sixty yards out, weaving in and out of Notre Dame. He just needed to do it fifteen more times for Navy to have a chance in this one. So yeah, as we started, Right before we started, I said Notre Dame one of the best wins of the season, one of the worst losses of the season, And that, I guess is the Ty hilden Brandt experience.
Speaker 1: Sometimes the best of times the worst of times.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If I were a BYU fan right now, yes, I would not be sending us comments akin to do you believe in BYU yet?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: You're gonna pick BYU next week? What do you have to say for not picking them this week?
Speaker 3: Who do they have next week?
Speaker 1: Et cetera, et cetera. Hold on Baltimore Ravens Okay, finish, Okay. There are teams like this every year where you and I are unconvinced. TCU most recently went to a national championship. We weren't convinced of TCU all year. Sometimes the occult forces of the bowler hood are ever in your favor, and so if I'm a BYU fan right now, I'm not asking for any of those things. I am saying, Tie and Dan, please keep doubting us, right, Please keep doubt genuinely saying, please keep doubting us, because every time we express any sort of concern about a matchup, as we did in this one. Okay, they're traveling to to UCF UCF. Seems like maybe they're trending a little bit better, even though they can.
Speaker 3: Use explosion plays against Iowa State.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, great against Iowa State, even though they lost that game. Please keep doubting us, because whatever we're doing, I used to do this to my own team. Frankly, the reverse jinks, it's working, It's really working. BYU was frigging dominant. Dan, they were dominant. They were really good.
Speaker 3: They were really really good Jack Rhet's laughs, really good spreads, the ball around runs really well. Had a great touchdown run saw that. I appreciate me personally. I've known you for some time now that you have both doubted BYU and are taking credit for BYU all in the same book. That is some classical.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not playing I'm not taking credit for anything, but I'm just saying, no, you're saying the occult forces of you not believing in BYU is well, you don't either, responsible you don't either.
Speaker 3: Oh I picked against them, but every time I watch them like, oh, they're good, and then I pick against them because I think it's a tough situational play and I'm wrong, and I'm happy to be wrong if I get to watch good football as a result of it.
Speaker 1: So BYU goes into and off week, now, okay, yes, but after that they've got the Holy War on the road at Utah. Utah lost by the way to Houston seventeen to fourteen. Bad, really down bad. I don't have much hope that Utah. I mean talk about the story of the year kind of on the other side of things, with Utah just bottoming out the way that they have. They're not winning the Big twelve. They're not gonna be anywhere close to winning the Big twelve. Right, They're a four and fourteen.
Speaker 3: But what do you do with these rivalries?
Speaker 1: You throw the records out. I know you gotta throw them out. But coming out of that bye week Holy War against Utah, Yeah, home game against Kansas on the road at Arizona State. Arizona State's plucky, they're fun, They're fun close out the year against Houston. Is it time to talk to our kids realistically?
Speaker 3: Now, hold on, you're talking about Utah or BYU?
Speaker 1: No, BYU?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, realistically twelve and oh BYU? What would you be most concerned about if you are a BYU human a Byuman?
Speaker 1: Maybe that Arizona State game.
Speaker 3: Where's that game being played?
Speaker 1: It's at ASU.
Speaker 3: Is there a kickoff time?
Speaker 1: Not yet?
Speaker 3: Okay, I agree with that. I think that's a pretty dangerous spot.
Speaker 1: But on the road at Utah's a rivalry, and rivalries are always weird. We know this. I don't with the way that BYU has been trending as of late, the fact that they've got to buy before that Utah game. They might not cover the spread, but who gives it? Damn, you just want to win that rivalry game. I'm looking at that Utah game. That doesn't frighten me at all the way it did at the start of the year. Not even close Kansas. Kansas is having a rough year. Kansas is two and six, could have beaten k State. Definitely illustrated the point that rivalries can be strange, but still games at home. I like their odds. It's that road game against Arizona State. Man, that's the one that I guess if there's going to be weirdness, that's probably the game I point to. But it's if you're a by human. Is that what you.
Speaker 3: Said, by human?
Speaker 1: Yeah, keep doubting us and look at the schedule, and you gotta feel pretty good about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have to feel good about it. And look, here's the other thing, Ty, it's just big picture. If they are as good as you say they can be the rest of the year, even if they lose Arizona State, they could still obviously win the Big Twelve, end up in a Big Twelve championship game playoff wise. And again I'm not talking about looking ahead of everything to say, oh, who could they play against? Just in terms of a visual we could be getting December twentieth in Provo, that's a nice little vista time in the winter. I went to college football in the mountains up High. That's pretty good.
Speaker 1: There are only two teams in the Big Twelve right now that are unbeaten in conference. One of them is BYU, the other is Iowa State. Kansas State had its own survival act. The twenty nine to twenty seven needed a late field goal to upend their rival Kansas and the Sunflower showdown Case State is four and one in conference and currently a time of recording, both Cincinnati and Colorado are playing. They're both one lost teams within the Big Twelve. Colorado was winning at present.
Speaker 3: What's the score right now?
Speaker 1: Cod is? I don't know what the score is.
Speaker 3: I thought it was maybe twenty four to fourteen the last I checked.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it stands to reason that after this week, we're going to have a clear amount of separation banding going on within that conference, and we will know kind of who the contenders are. We're have pretty good sense for it as we turn the page go into November next week. How do you feel about k State?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: I feel good because they played an a rivalry game and they pulled it out despite making a ton of mistakes. I thought the way they ended that game, especially on defense, We're like, just send dudes at Jalen Daniels that they can't They just can't keep up with this pass rush and sending pressure, and they were forcing Jalen Daniels to scramble and throw on the dead run or try to pick up extra yardage, and you had a big fumble at the end that Kansas State turned into a law. You said it was a fifty plus yard field goal. I believe fifty one. Ye, with under a couple minutes left. Avery Johnson wasn't perfect, but the best of Avery Johnson was again quite impressive. It seemed like Kansas State was in position at least a couple times in the last few minutes of this game. Or excuse me, Kansas to just win it, to just stomp that, whether it's a four minute offense, whether it's just picking up key first downs. They couldn't. They couldn't get out of their own way. The nice thing about Kansas State. You asked how I feel about Kansas State. I really like that they won at Colorado. In terms of potential tiebreakers in this next four or five weeks, I think that could be quite meaningful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. It's it's a very interesting conference. We've been saying it the whole way through that it's, by for my money, the most interesting conference. It is, Okay, and maybe the SEC has a claim to that title given some of the new storylines that have emerged there. But the big twelve of them where that is headed, It's gonna come down to the wire. It's gonna end up coming down to like the last two or three weeks of the season, and that's gonna make it a lot of fun for us to watch and talk about here on the show. So Kansas State was one team that did pull a survival act. Another one was SMUU. SMU needed a failed two point conversion in overtime to remain unbeaten in the ACC and knock off Duke. Duke put a hell of a game out there, Man twenty eight to twenty seven was the final really good game from Malik Murphy and SMU struggled. SMU had three picks from Kevin Jennings. Definitely was not their cleanest game in the world, but didn't cover eleven and a half. Did end up winning the game here Survive in advance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I don't know how great it was. Pankell the receiver for Duke who cover the I mean he was the go to dude. He is the go to dude. Caught the overtime touchdown and they go for two and don't get it. It wasn't a ton downfield from Malik Murphy and Duke. How hard is it to turn the ball over six times and win a game on the road against a pretty good team. I don't know how many times that has ever happened. Where I mean Duke. I don't think Duke had a single turnover. No, this was loading the bases every inning and being shut out. The runners left in scoring position for Duke because you look at what happened with Duke drives after they were able to turn the ball over. It was like, oh, Duke picked off Kevin Jennings and punted it. Duke picked off Kenning Jennings and missed a field goal. Duke recovered a fumble and turned it over on downs. And it's a very difficult thing that SMU was able to do in winning this game. But the defense came up big. The team was led by its defense and Win Your Clunkers and SMU won an all time clunker against Duke tonight. Crazy impressive for SMU to stay alive in this acc race.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go on out to merch dot soliverble dot com and pick up a win your Clunker shirt It Colick, you tie yet to listen. I'm a pros pro a pro move. Here's the other thing. I'm going to reiterate this point. Much of the discussion next week is going to be about Ohio State Penn State. It's the biggest game of the weekend. Okay, there will definitely be, at least on this show a fair amount of discussion about Oregon Michigan because we're going to be there. The game that is not going to get enough attention is pit against SMU. The game's at SMU. Yeah, that game has real, true, monstrous significance in the acc rais mm hmm. I'm curious to see what the point spread looks like. I have not even thought about who's going to be favored in that game, but that to me looks like a hell of a game that is going to have a ton riding on it with respect to who stands to maybe pick up the torch if somebody like Miami drops it with one of their road games down the stretch. I don't think it'll be Clemson that stumbles. I think if anyone stumbles, it'll be Miami. Miami probably would have something to say about that after destroying their rival Florida State earlier today. Is well, but just saying there's a lot riding Oh yeah game and people need to pay attention to it, start thinking about it. Will definitely put it as one of our pick them selections on run the board. That that, to me, for my money, might be like the the second biggest game next weekend.
Speaker 3: By the way, you just keep saying the word pick it's a real tough time to be a little too pick prone for Kevin Jennings against Pitt coming up, who three pick sixes in the first half Thursday night, all by linebackers, all by linebackers.
Speaker 1: It was five picks total. Yes, for Kyle McCord.
Speaker 3: Pit's a good team. You gift Pit three touchdowns on defense, They're a pretty difficult team to knock off. I mean, I mean.
Speaker 1: If you look at the box score beyond those five interceptions.
Speaker 3: No, I watched the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you look at the if you didn't watch the game, it if you just look at the box score, the stats do not sing anything Pit right. It was truly a function of they scored twenty one points via turnovers. They got two more turnovers. Field position was very much in their favor.
Speaker 3: No, they game g need this TI, I.
Speaker 1: Mean it was it was like a total hack. Yeah, and the game came off the swivel pretty quickly for Syracuse. Syracuse is not that bad of a team.
Speaker 3: Obviously, they had a worst the worst night of the year.
Speaker 1: This was like their absolute clunker that we saw on display and pitch just sort of all they needed to do was not screw it up, and they didn't.
Speaker 3: Well. And it's also it's especially bad because there weren't I mean, it was this and was Liberty Thursday or Friday? Liberty kind of saw Liberty was Thursday. Yeah, there are a few games Thursday, Friday. Everybody's way right. This is peeing your pants during the homecoming King dance, the home whatever, the prom court. I was not a homecoming King tie like you no excuse me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, doing a podcast, believe me. I wasn't homecoming King.
Speaker 3: No, it's everybody watching. It's everybody watching it in slow motion, and it's you know, it's their worst night. They'll bounce back, They'll be okay.
Speaker 1: So we'll see what Pitt looks like next week. They're not going to get They probably won't get five interceptions off of Kevin Jennings.
Speaker 3: He did throw three, but he through three tonight six total turnovers.
Speaker 1: So perhaps they'll learn something that is meaningful. I think for our purposes here, you mentioned the Kennesaw thing. I'll bring that up please, because that was sort of the biggest upset of the year so far, if you can believe it. Kennesaw State, a newcomer to the FBS Rakes squares off against Liberty, who was undefeated, who had some playoff aspirations. I don't know how real those were given strength of schedule, but Liberty was in the conversation.
Speaker 3: You can't lose to arguably one of the seven worst teams in FBS football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Liberty came into this game about a four touchdown favorite. I think it was twenty seven at close. They end up losing this game to Kanasaw State. Is Kanasaw State's first win at the FBS level. It's almost unprecedented that this would happen in the manner that it did.
Speaker 3: Was that candisaw.
Speaker 1: But still you wouldn't expect Liberty is going to drop a game like this.
Speaker 3: No, it was real ugly too on Liberty's behalf.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very very ugly game on their part, almost as if they didn't take it seriously.
Speaker 3: So that's as if.
Speaker 1: That's that's another one that will have some playoff implications, at least in the G five level. Yes, and G five thoughts too.
Speaker 3: It's not even implications, it's a conclusion. Liberty is not going to the playoff.
Speaker 1: Liberty is not going to the playoff.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: The one team we have not talked about is Alabama. Yes, correct, we have not. And this game against missoo so, Brady Cook gave it a go. Brady Cook hurt his ankle pretty badly a week ago, one of those deals again where he went to the hospital during the game, got the MRI, came back, got some stray looks from people who are out in the parking lot, like let's see what's going on here, ends up going back in the game. They get a hard fought win against Auburn. Fast forward to this week. He tries to give it a go first off, even before he got hurt again. It wasn't really working, but he's out there. He ends up hurting his hand. Drew Pine comes in at that point. It feels like game over. Drew Pine was not good. Drew Pine has never been good. This is me talking as a score Notre Dame fan. Right, ended up throwing for like sixty some odd yards had three picks in this game. He was not going to elevate Missoo to the point where they could beat Alabama. I guess my question to you is did we learn anything from Alabama in this game or was this just total system failure on behalf of Missoo because of their own circle of stances with their offense.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean with regard to where the headspace was last week of Alabama fans after losing to Tennessee, we learned that it was a nice weekend for Alabama fans. It was a nice day for Alabama, especially on defense, to beat up on a wounded team. And so no, I don't know if we learn anything necessarily new, especially with how Miszoo struggled against A and M on the road a couple of weeks ago, a few weeks ago. But I only watched a little bit of this game. And here's my editor's note, Drew Pine, whatever you want to say about him.
Speaker 1: Be Clemson.
Speaker 3: I was good enough to be Clemson. That's my editors. My editor's hat right now is we should also mention in audio italics good enough to be Clemson. But yeah, it was just it was not going to happen. With Miszoo's struggles this year, Missoo's inconsistencies generating bigger plays on offense, you need to be able to do that against an Alabama defense that is tough to me. And how you get Alabama is by getting after the Alabama offense, making Jalen Milroe see things that aren't there, turning them one dimensional, and Jalen Molroe doing everything with his legs and his arm, targeting Ryan Williams as many times as humanly possible instead of spreading it around and giving the defense different looks. And Misszoo's not built for that this year. They're just not, especially not when they're giving the ball back, I mean through three picks Drew Pine, I guess Alabama. Yeah, it's just got uglier and uglier and ugli A good win for Alabama. Misszoo twenty twenty four is not Missoo twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, and it's It's been one of the I think disappointing storylines this year missu because of the expectations they had a lot back. It just doesn't seem like the offense has given him the same pop as it did a year ago. Maybe losing Cody Schrader had more of an impact than people had thought coming in. I don't know what the actual cause for it is. We can unpack that at some point in the future. The SEC race, though, now by virtue of what we saw happen in week nine, look something like this. We've got one team undefeated in conference. That's your Texas A and A. Maggie's Dan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my team, yep.
Speaker 1: Five And oh we've got four teams with one loss, Georgia, Texas, Tennessee and LSU.
Speaker 3: And let's see Georgia plays Tennessee for sure, Yes, yep, Texas will play A and M. Who else is A and M has South Carolina. I believe on the road this comle week that is a letdown. It's not a look ahead, but is a letdown spot of letdown spot like it is of epic proportion. I agree.
Speaker 1: We will talk about that one for sure, and of course, but with the fact that some of these teams do play each other m hm, LSU stands to.
Speaker 3: They've only lost once, only as one loss, but.
Speaker 1: LSU stands play a team like in Alabama, which could be an interesting game right coming up here. So there's I think a fair amount of upward mobility for some of these teams that are kind of in that next tier down that should go without saying in the SEC where everybody always beats everybody. But right now, if you're an A and M fan, you gotta fel pretty good about where you stand. It's probably beyond your wildest dreams at this point that you'd be atop the conference, especially the expanding conference now with Texas in it. Right it's just it's sort of like an incredible fairy tale with Mike Elko taking over, with there being some turnover, and yet the way things will fall and you're five to zero conference, seven to one overall.
Speaker 3: By the way, just because you're mentioning the teams with the fewest losses in the SEC, does not mean that Vandy does not have two top ten opponents to finish out the year and might have a little something to do with how the final standings shake out in Tennessee and LSU. Who can't wait a few.
Speaker 1: Other things here, Dan, We have been going through our top twelve lists, items that we have jotted down that place jumped out to us this week. The Boise State story continues to be very very interesting. Yes, that game on Friday night against UNLV was Barnburner.
Speaker 3: It was. I only watched some of it so far. I will do more of it on the Tuesday show. Continue really really good game, high level game. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Ashton gent with the go ahead touchdown late in that one to ultimately give Boise the win.
Speaker 1: But two teams that I think probably end up meeting again for the Mount West title, and I'll look forward to that matchup. I think Boise is in control now of that G five playoff spot, especially with Navy taking a loss, with Liberty taking a loss. Tulane maybe trying to find its way back into this thing, but they've got two losses.
Speaker 3: And two losses good law. I mean, it's what Oklahoma and Kansas State.
Speaker 1: They would need to absolutely need to win their conference, and they would need to do so going away. But for where I'm seeing it, I think it's Boise. I also think Armies got an Interestmy's still there. Army's got an interesting case here. There's a pretty good chance that it's going to be Army with one loss after Notre Dame versus Navy versus Navy with one loss for that American title. It could happen. I do think the Navy road is harder. They do have to play two lane down the stretch here, But it stands to reason that Army also is going to be part of that conversation. I just I stand by what I've said. I can't envision Boise being left out because of Ashton Gent, provided they don't lose. I can't imagine the committee would want to leave a superstar like that out of the playoff, who.
Speaker 3: By the way, was not a huge factor in terms of production, obviously a huge factor in terms of attention and gravity and UNL his entire game plan was focused on stopping Ashton Gent. He never really got loose consistently, to the credit of Barry otom in this UNLV defense. But they were unable to get a Ton going consistently on their own offense, and so Maddox Madson made plays and really really impressive when on the road. I was just distracted because Freddy Freeman was dripping the heart out of Yankee fans everywhere. How they are distracted to two up to nil tie buna.
Speaker 1: Let's read some tweets, all right, Let's read some tweets play with me. Who the hell am I? We put a weekly call out across all of our socials asking hey, who are you a fan of? And how are you feeling right now? Had a bunch of those come in. I'll actually start because I'm going to role play a little bit and say, if I were a Virginia Tech fan, I'd be really happy with the way my defense played today. Yes, it was sort of a how shall I put it, inconsistent offensive effort from the hookies today, but it was a really good showing against Georgia Tech, holding them to six points. Granted, not the same Georgia Tech without Haines King, but this is a win that I think Virginia Tech fans need. So if I'm a Virginia Tech fan, I feel pretty good about the state of the defense.
Speaker 3: I mean, if I'm an Indiana fan, keep it going. Because Tavin Jackson wasn't always all that great. I would say a lot of a lot of real short stuff, a lot of picklebally justice Ellison was he ran hard that he didn't open up a ton, but the defense got after it against Washington. I'm thrilled if if I'm an Indiana fan and I'm looking around the sports see how other backup quarterbacks fared on Saturday. I'm thrilled to get out of that with added attention. What game day was in town? Nope, I know Lee Carso was there. It was a great, great performance from from Indiana, all things considered, without Curtis rock I'm thrilled.
Speaker 1: If we're going to keep plugging away here and we're going to read some of these I yess on the topic of Indiana real quick, please, How does Indiana stack up against Ohio State realistically.
Speaker 3: After today or before today.
Speaker 1: If we assume that Curtis Roark is going to be back.
Speaker 3: No, I know I'm saying, but like now that we have more information after today, the vulnerability of Ohio State up front on offense, the games at Ohio State, games at Ohio State. Okay, Ohio State will not be as frustrating every week as they were this week, but they might be as beat up on that offensive line for a while. So how do they stack up? I think Curtis Rourke and Indiana beat today's specific version of Ohio State.
Speaker 1: I do that's today, just wondering, just wondering.
Speaker 3: This was Ohio State's worst day of the season. Now an average day for Indiana against an average day for Ohio State. I think Ohio State's better. I think they win that game by ten to thirteen points.
Speaker 1: If I'm a Louisville fan, I'm proud of how the team came back and knocked off Boston College. Yeah, twenty one unanswered in the final eighteen minutes. It's pretty cool. Take that. If I'm a Florida State fan, I'm just like beside myself. They're one and seven at this point after getting thrown.
Speaker 3: How many points stand they finished the game with against Miami seven? Yeah, just not they scored that early, right.
Speaker 1: Not a good show. It was a really bad game. If I'm a Rutgers fan, I wonder what's happened to my defense? Yeah, because the defense has really bottomed out these last couple weeks. So I'm a Minnesota fan, which I am. It is still bros before nos, my friend. Three twenty four touchdowns from Minnesota superstar Max Brosmer, And this was kind of the performance you were waiting for. Yeah, it wasn't just Brosmur. It was Darius Taylor, it was Daniel Jackson, those three, the Big three as we call it here at Minnesota head Shutters. They were behind the forty eight point output from that Minnesota offense, so I would feel pretty good about that, definitely. Any thoughts from Arthur ballerhood Dan.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Virginia fan infuriated. Yeah, I agree with that. That was North Carolina getting right against Virginia today. Yeah, Iowa fan feeling like, are we getting better? Or is Northwestern just that bad? Two things can be true. Yes, and you did it with Benching Kde McNamara for Brendan Sullivan. Yep, I believe Northwestern transfer.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: That's a pretty good I mean, winning is good, Winning is always good. Iowa State fan, and I'm thankful it's a bye week. I think that's a great point of view. I'm a Baylor fan. I'm feeling like Dave finally binged episodes of Fixer Upper. Baylor, by the way, are they back from the dead. I think Baylor and TCU got a little bit spicier today. TCU pulled out a weird one. Baylor has an offense. If Baylor finishes that Colorado game, We're talking about Baylor twenty seven minutes ago, just in terms of what their record is and the way that they were able to kind of pacet Oklahoma State today. I mean, at least the Baylor offense going at the Oklahoma State defense because the you know, Alan Bowman and Brendan Presley. I mean, that's kind of all. It's the only situation, that's the only receiver. He kind of looks at Alan Bowman for better or worse. But Brendan Presley was great. Baylor woke up or not Baylor woke up, but Baylor keeps it going. And you look at the rest of Baylor's schedule and you can pull it up tie.
Speaker 1: It's pretty great.
Speaker 3: If they're scoring forty a game, it's pretty great.
Speaker 1: They do have an offense.
Speaker 3: They have an offense.
Speaker 1: They absolutely have an offense. The rest of the way, it's TCU. You mentioned, got TCU next week. Then they go into a buy close out the year at West Virginia at Houston Home against Kansas A.
Speaker 3: J's a Michigan fan where this offense has been all year. Okay, So they run, they call a really successful trick play and Davis Swarren, while not incredible, completes passes for first downs. He is the quarterback that gives him the best chance to complete passes downfield and in a very losable spot to Michigan State, who started out that game quite successfully. Michigan stayed with it. I think Michigan's defense is maybe above average in this moment, and that's okay, because that's good enough to beat Michigan State. They're able to move the ball. A nice win at home in front of a home crowd.
Speaker 1: Twenty four to seventeen is a really nice win.
Speaker 3: Ohio State fan Alarmed Tennessee fan feeling thankful that the only the Yankees are making me miserable this evening, as I could not handle the double misery. Ty, I got to introduce you to Tommy Edmond. He is just yet Babe, Ruth Tank, Aaron and Ted Williams all in a tiny, tiny little package. I'm a Texas Tech fan. I'm feeling like we're a five and three two that might not hit six wins. That is not a great feeling.
Speaker 1: No, that's not good at all.
Speaker 3: The slow bleed so yeah, Baron Morton injured in this one and TCU pulling them out not always pretty. Put TCU winning record, gonna go bowling, it's pretty decent.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I had to watch a ton of this game. Excited to watch it Sunday or Monday.
Speaker 1: The only thing that I'll close the segment out with is saying, if I am a fan of Group of five football, the MAC is pretty damn awesome right now, the Mac. Yeah, the MAC looks great. So we had the Bowling Green Toledo rivalry, which we are a ton of points in.
Speaker 3: I almost picked the winner of that game. By the way, you had one of two teams to pick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, forty one to twenty six, Bowling Green, your Bowling Green. So our Falcons knocked off Toledo. Nice win for Bowling Green. Bowling Green obviously has taken teams like A and M and Penn State to the wire, so it's was probably foolishould be to not pick them.
Speaker 3: Well, they're better on the road too, Yeah, better.
Speaker 1: On the road, but Bowling Green with a nice win. We had Western Michigan knocking off Kent State. That in and of itself isn't really that big of a surprise. Kent State is not a very good team. However, Western is undefeated and now alone atop the back. Yes and weaknight maction to decide their fate is going to occur over the next few weeks just kind of file that away ball State knocked off NIU, talking about the worst loss of the year for Notre Dame. Right, and I use defense collapsed after a field goal to take the lead with like fifteen seconds to go. They allow a thirty four yard pass that lets ball State into field goal range. Five of nius eight games this season have been one score games. So Tom Hammond or Tom Hammond, Tom ham Mick, excuse me, different guy has definitely had his uh his season on eggshells. And to close things out here.
Speaker 3: By the way, did you hear he's just like a little sidebar here during the Notre Dame. I guess you weren't watching the Notre Dame game super closely today because you were in and out and watch it after the fact. It was revealed that Marcus Freeman shows Notre Dame the NIU game before every game in the late like least chill thing, Like, coach, we know it was a bad Saturday, we were there, we know it's not going to happen again. And he's like, guess we're watching, Yeah, we're watching Homeward Bound again. You know, he was just just every single Saturday they're watching the NIU game man.
Speaker 1: The beatings tough beat The beatings will continue until improves exactly works right. Thank you everybody for writing in. We did have a bunch of doodle ert suggestions. If that's something that you'd be interested by. Not, of course, who'd the for ballerhood send in today.
Speaker 3: Jackson Corville? If I got that right? For ball State four or five from forty seven to fifty and fifty two, k Man Makai Hughes Tulane went for nearly two hundred on the ground and that I guess it was a shootout win over North Texas, covering by half a point. Taylor Green, by the way, should point out I know there are like popular weight loss drugs that people are taking in twenty twenty four. If you truly want to lose weight and stick to a program, play offense for Arkansas when they play against Mississippi State. You will get You will have so many calories gone from your life. Everybody got exercise for Arkansas against Mississippi State today. So Taylor Green six touchdowns, almost four hundred total yards, cam Lockridge at Fresno seven tackles, two picks. Chandler Morris has mentioned North Texas excuse me in the losing effort. Cooper Lega for Tulsa a crazy comeback against Utsa, legs and arms for Lega. Fernando Mendoza Cal absolutely obliterated Oregon State. Darquis Hunter went for to seventy eight. Did I see that number correctly? And they didn't watch much of these. They be Kentucky, They be Kentucky. The elite loser. Hugh Freese was a winner, so gotta give him credit there. Braylon Russell, the running back for Arkansas, went off, Dawson Pendergrass on the ground for Baylor and through the air a little bit, I believe, coleman Owen for Ohio went off, and Roderick Daniels. It wasn't all bad for SMU on offense with the turnovers. He was great as a weapon through the air for the Mustangs. So so, your dudes, there are two other dudes that need to be mentioned here, Dan, please please do they do?
Speaker 1: They do play for the BYU fighting Cougars. Oh? Okay. One is holder Sam vander Haarr. The other kicker Will Farren, who's a wild fake field goal? Yes, I have never seen this version of a fake field goal in my life. So to reiterate, we have seen the play. It is burned into college football lore, the fake field goal of the holder taking the snap no look, tossing it back over his head, of course to the kicker who is sort of running what amounts to a pitch play. Yeah, who goes around the end seemingly to get a first down or a touchdown. We've seen this before. LSU did it very famously. What I have not seen happen is what Sam Vanderhardt did in this BYU game, which is instead of throwing it back over his head, instead almost acting like he fumbled the snap, then springing his legs up and snapping the ball back to the kicker as he is running around in the two It was two snaps, it was one play. It was a successful fake field goal that went for I think about eight yards and a first down for BYU. When it's working, it's really working again, occult forces of the verballerhood here with BYU.
Speaker 3: And I think the kicker had the opportunity to throw it on the play as well, and he did was to run it. Yeah, he did.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: It was a fake field goal that kind of looked like a fake field goal was definitely a planned endeavor.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, you don't.
Speaker 1: Technically, that doesn't just happen because you're trying to make no no, no. He it was a deliberate snap back between his legs to the kicker who ran for a first down did have the option to throw. I have never seen if anybody has seen another play like this, send me the YouTube clip, send me a still image. I have never seen anything like that. I would love to meet the person that put that together.
Speaker 3: Somebody will do a story on the behind the scenes of that fake field goal, and it almost feels like the money quote from that story will be We tried it in practice. It went horrendously bad. It didn't work, It got snuffed out immediately, but we figured, why the hell not, let's try it in a game.
Speaker 1: My thought after seeing it was, is that something that the holder just wanted to do as a flex right? I feel like the holder makes that call if he's going to go for it or not. It's like when the gymnast is up on the balance beam and you could go for the higher impact move and decide against it. I'm just wondering if he was Sam Sam Vanderharr If you're listening, right in soliverable at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you're going to do something, do it right with some flair.
Speaker 1: I want to know if you had like a choice route there where you could either go between the legs or just go with the standard flip.
Speaker 3: Over the back of the head, right, it executed it perfectly.
Speaker 1: And last, but certainly not least, here are your week nine reverbs.
Speaker 4: Have a listen with a game winning field goal at the end. The Bronze Stock Trophy stays in Muncie. This year ball State beats Northern Illinois. Could they beat Notre Dame? This is Derek, I'm going to Browska Prairie.
Speaker 2: Is this Steve calling from Atlanta, Georgia?
Speaker 4: Heyay, this is Ash calling in from Atlanta. I don't understand.
Speaker 2: If Middle Tennessee is the worst team in the FPS, then in that Kennesaw State who was to them last week?
Speaker 3: But then why am I saying that Kennesaw State?
Speaker 4: Just see Liberty not today? Diego Pavia went into the skill open rules. I wish I could go back in time and tell like eight to twelve year old Nebraska fan me when they were winning three national championships in four years that eventually it would just lead me to a descent into madness and constant depression and hating myself.
Speaker 2: I have a simple message for Tony Elliott after j Day's bleep show of a performance change or be changed. I sure hope that NBC got Tyler Warren's permission to call him inspector Gadget, because I will not be calling him anything besides inspector Gadget until further notice.
Speaker 1: War damn Eagle.
Speaker 4: We got an SDC wind, Birmingham Bull or Bucks. It's Jimmy from ann Arbor.
Speaker 1: Even when we suck, We're better than Michigan Site, Little Row doing little ro things, go blue, the fighting Texas Aggies.
Speaker 2: I could run through a wall and eat all the drywall left because Kyle got.
Speaker 4: Me amped up. The coobs are eight and oh Flyinheim Utah fun.
Speaker 2: They sucked.
Speaker 4: Hey, I just got home from college game day and Memorial Stadium and wait a second, Hey, honey, get.
Speaker 2: Out the good China Indiana eight.
Speaker 4: No row row row your boat, row row row your boat. No row row your boat, row row row your boat.
Speaker 1: Jill down the stream the snowdre Dame.
Speaker 4: Just eat fifty one and fourteen sky Yuma row the boat.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 1: Look, it was a long day of college football. We're all a little tired. The reverbs always a wonderful sound in these years. Thank you to one and all for giving us a holler. Yes, Dan, that does it for our week nine recap episode. Hope everybody enjoyed this. It has been a long day of college football. We are going to go and do our spillover episode on Tuesday. So anything we didn't talk about anything, we need to unpack more things that we think about a little bit more and want to discuss. We will do that on Tuesday. Don't forget to hit follow, don't forget to hit subscribes that you don't miss any of our episodes. If you've already done that, tell a friend we've a review. All that stuff helps more people find us. Again, just as a reminder to the crowd out there that is watching this live, that stops by every Saturday night at midnight Eastern to watch this live, we will be in an Arbi, Michigan watching the Michigan organ game. A week from tonight. We will have something in this place. We're not exactly sure what. We're still work on that, but.
Speaker 3: There will be a Saturday night recap show of some kind next Saturday. That will be here. And if you are tailgating at the Michigan Oregon game, let us know. I don't know if there's anything you want to take advantage of listeners for beyond tailgate opportunities. TI, is there anything else that you need?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, do you need like a Shiatsu massage sometime to work out some of your your knots?
Speaker 1: Anything outside of Michigan Stadium.
Speaker 3: No, I'm good, I'm good. Okay, fair enough.
Speaker 1: Tailing tailgateing will do just fine.
Speaker 3: We'd love to say, Hi, we're very excited to go to ann Arbor. It is the first time that we are actually attending a game in quite some time. We've gone to national championship games and made stuff before games and then left for the actual game. So excited to tailgate wander around. It should be quite good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we went to Northwestern do back in week two.
Speaker 3: But we did, we did.
Speaker 1: But we're talking real stadiums here, real stadiums that aren't portable, and you know, man have a little bit more history behind him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the fake stadium taking taking some strays here from Ty hilden Brand at Northwestern on the.
Speaker 1: Lake IOK, they're not even playing there anymore.
Speaker 3: I know they're at regularly now. Yeah, holler, we're gonna be in ann Arbor. Come come say hi some way somehow.
Speaker 1: Week nine, officially in the books, looks like Colorado. Barring any kind of great comeback, we'll emerge victorious here. We could talk about that on Tuesday. For that guy out there, my good friend Dan Rubisin, for myself, Ty hildon Brand, thank you for downwenning, for listening, for supporting. We will talk y'all soon. S