Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Happy reopening Day, considering we already have two games in the books with the Dodgers and the Cubs. Reopening Day. Come on in stay a while, the Great Tim Kirchin from the mother Ship. A little bit later on, we'll talk to the SEC Commissioner, Greg Zankee, whilely Zerbiak, former player now part of March Madness on CBS, we'll stop by as well. DraftKings provides the odds to win the World Series Dodgers plus two to seventy five Braves plus seven fifty Yankees eight fifty Phillies plus twelve hundred, Mets plus twelve hundred. I'm surprised the Yankees are that high. I don't even know if they're going to win their division and you lose Cole.
Speaker 3: I don't know the Mets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, well they better they better be one of those contenders there. But the odds to hit a home run today, it's Aaron Judge plus two fifteen and then Tyler O'Neill the Orioles plus three sixty. He is homewred on opening Day five years in a row eight seven to seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com twitter handle at TP show spent a large portion of the first hour talking about Lebron James the interview on Pat McAfee's show, and there was a lot to unpack there. It was over an hour which Lebron doesn't sit down with anybody, and McAfee got him. He was in Indianapolis, came by and they talked about a variety of things.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: He talked about his relationship or maybe lack thereof, with Michael Jordan, that it's hard for them maybe to be friends because Lebron is still playing and Mike put up these numbers that Lebron is still chasing. He talked about what's going on with Stephen A. Smith as well. He feels like the media has picked on his son. So there was a lot of things he's touching on. He's touching on athletes from different generations, different eras as well, but wide ranging.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I get.
Speaker 5: The sense Mike is tough to be friends with regardless.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't think Mike and Lebron would have anything in common unless Lebron takes up golf and wants to play every single day and bet, you know, fifty to one hundred.
Speaker 6: Thousand constantly have to defend him and his resume as a player, Yes, constantly.
Speaker 3: I couldn't imagine.
Speaker 2: Well, I've talked to Charles Barkley about this, and Mike will rough you up. He will just carve you up because he's got the ultimate scoreboard, and he would make fun of Barkley right in front of Charles, in front of other people. And I was at a golf tournament in North Carolina, Jim Valvano golf tournament.
Speaker 3: I got Lou.
Speaker 2: Holtz, I got Digger Phelps, Quinn Buckner, Charles Barkley, Michael Jordan, and maybe one other person, and it quickly went to Mike just up Charles would be on the show tomorrow with us, but roughing up Charles about not winning a title, and it got real serious, real quick. I can't imagine if Lebron goes, hey, mj how about we go play golf. I've seen that Michael Jordan. Lebron doesn't want any part of that. Mike doesn't do anything where he goes eh, okay, yeah, how about a friendly little game.
Speaker 3: There's no part of that. In his DNA.
Speaker 2: Lebron would be like I thought I was going to strengthen our relationship.
Speaker 3: I think it made it worse.
Speaker 2: Wait, you just went to play golf with him, Yeah, but it evolved into something more than that, Like he's making fun of me, and you know my golf game, and I think I lost one hundred thousand, you lost one hundred thousands. Yes, Mike shows up with a satchel full of cash. When he plays, you pay. Now, Normally you got guys who've said they played against Mike and he didn't pay. Dan Dakich said that he owes him like six grand. But if you play guys in Vegas and a certain golf course out there, Mike would go there and they waited for him. You had professional gamblers who played golf. They might not have been as good a golfer, but they were professional gamblers and there's a big difference. You can't touch your ball until it gets into the hole. That's how they play, and Mike would show up. This according to two guys who played and said Mike would show up and guys would be waiting to play him, and he'd bring a satchel full of cash. I don't think he left with that cash though, just saying that these guys they said, wherever your ball goes, you cannot touch it. You do not pick it up until it gets in the hole. Then you can pick it up, like they had certain rules there. But yeah, I can't imagine Lebron strengthening his relationship with Mike when it's all said, good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, download the app if you haven't done so, and radio affiliates around the country.
Speaker 3: We have a lot of poll questions here.
Speaker 2: I don't know if we settled on one seat or maybe we just have a couple of them up.
Speaker 3: Up there for the day.
Speaker 6: Totts is going up there on the website as we speak. We're going to put in there your poll quest yours slash Paul's about are the Dodgers good for baseball? We have one here from Marvin too that I think you'll like. Okay, what athlete all time would you like to speak to for an hour?
Speaker 3: All so? Living or dead?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, we have the options Marvin has thrown out there, Babe, Ruth, Michael Jordan, Jackie Robbinson, other.
Speaker 2: I guess you can put Tiger down. But you know, Tiger would never do what Lebron did yesterday. He would never let his guard down and just go man, do I have some things I'm going to.
Speaker 7: Get off my chest?
Speaker 5: I just want some privacy.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, as he shows that he's in love, let me show you these pictures. Now, please respect my privacy. It's not like somebody broke into his compound and took pictures and said, oh, hey, what are you doing respect our privacy. It's like here we're in love. We were respecting your privacy. You interrupted mine showing me pictures of being in love.
Speaker 8: Yes, tom My first though was Jackie Robinson.
Speaker 9: But I'd find Muhammad Ali to be extremely entertaining and interesting.
Speaker 2: No, the answer is Babe Ruth, Babe Ruth. Yeah, I mean Ali was very out I mean he was forthcoming. When when he was able to speak, he spoke, he told you Jackie Robinson, Yes, that would be probably second, but Babe was just that was larger than life. You know, there's no TV. It was all about word of mouth, and you had this god that you didn't even know if he was real, you were reading about it, and so I think just trying to understand what the world was like for him back then would probably be my first choice.
Speaker 6: Yes, how much of that desire to speak to him is because there's so little audio video of him. It's it's like a real complete unknown almost still to this point, it's all legend, it's all myth. It's all like, like you said, is this even real? Did this really even happen?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that factors in a real mystery to it. Also, I mean, Jordan did the last dance, so you have an idea it's still be fun, you know, to go toe to toe with him. Tiger wouldn't be just because you can't get much out of him. But it really it comes back to if Lebron wants to open up like he did, then that makes the interview a great interview. Like he has to be willing. Every time I have a guest on, they have to be willing to tell me something, to tell you something, and Tiger just has never been comfortable doing that, which is his right. But you know, we're still fascinated with a lot of different things about Tiger, you know, same with Michael Jordan. But Lebron kind of opening up, it felt like he needed to get some things off his chest, and this was a great vehicle. Pat McAfee show, you're also on ESPN and you're taking shots at guys who work at ESPN with Steven a and Brian Windhorst. I don't know why Brian Windhorst took some bullets there. Yeah, what's come on? Thinks he's my best friend or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, come on?
Speaker 6: Sometimes when you read, if you read those quotes, it's a little fourth gradish.
Speaker 5: This guy he's my best friend, You're not even my best friend.
Speaker 2: That sounds like something you'd say in fourth grade, and you would say it exactly like that.
Speaker 3: You know, where you'd say to your mom. You know, he thinks he's my best friend, he's not. Yes, Paulie one.
Speaker 10: Other athletes just going off the board that I would love here an hour with. He's almost a mythical figure, the former Dodger pitcher of Sandy Kofax. I think he's almost ninety, very private, doesn't do interviews. He seems like a person that's not even real to me. Yeah, I see videos and pictures. He left the sport. At his peak, he was the best pitcher in baseball, and I've never seen a sit down with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if he's interesting as much as he's an enigma.
Speaker 11: Yes, and which makes him but that's where you.
Speaker 2: I mean, you don't know if he's going to be a good interview. You just knew that he was one of the great pitchers of all time. And he didn't say, you know, a very private he goes to spring training I think every year. But yeah, I mean there's a lot of people, but I would say Babe Ruth would be the first first guy that came to mind. And Jackie Robinson because you look at what he did, when he did it, how he did it, and against the odds and still became a Hall of Famer in his fourth best sport.
Speaker 3: That's pretty fascinating.
Speaker 2: Lucas in Texas, Good morning, Luke, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: And good morning, Good morning, Happy opening day, Fritzie.
Speaker 4: Let's go Stros.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 12: I really appreciated you bring up the topic of Tommy John surgeries yesterday. It is a problem. And I grew up in a small town in East Texas, you know, I mean small enough to where someone making it to the pros is a big deal. And currently we have a kid from our hometown who's a starting pitcher for an SEC team. He's a top I don't know, like seventy five pick or prospect in the upcoming MLV draft, and he's a pitcher, he's a lessie he and so we've kind of followed him and just cheered him on as he's grown up. And it's been kind of enlightening to see the system that these kids go through. And what's sad is there's a level of acceptance of Tommy John is a given. It's guaranteed to happen at some point in a pitcher's career. The goal all these young players have is to simply make it through high school, make it through college, or if they go straight into the minor leagues out of high school, make it either to Triple A or to the big leagues just long enough to prove that you have some potential, some long term value, and then get your Tommy John Dunn and then go back a little bit longer.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we talked about this, Lucas. Yes, I mean there's no surprises here. You'll get pitchers who have a couple of Tommy John's. But I can't fix it this, you know, And if you're the commissioner Major League Baseball, this is I don't want to say an epidemic, but this a troubling trend that you have in your sport that you have players who are getting hurt, you're losing star players. I don't know if there's anything you can do about it, because baseball has fallen in love with how fast you throw, how long can you throw?
Speaker 3: And can you hit a home run?
Speaker 2: Now we're starting to see baseball open up where seeing the ability to be a great athlete. You can steal bases now putting ball in play, whereas before it felt one dimensional, but it was. It's one dimensional with pitching. It's not about you got a work course. I mean, your work course is a guy who can throw one hundred miles an hour for five innings, then that's it.
Speaker 3: The arm is not meant to withstand that. But it's just common. Like now, it's not a big deal.
Speaker 2: If you go, oh, Tommy John, all right, I'll see you. I mean, the White Sox had six pitchers in the span of a month who had to have Tommy John surgery this spring.
Speaker 3: That's a problem in the sport. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Do you think it's odd that two of like this country's biggest sports are having like an identity crisis in that they've become two like maybe one dimensional or two dimensional in that Basketball is a dunker.
Speaker 5: Three baseball is strikeout home run.
Speaker 6: It's almost like, is that a flaw built into those games or have they just been Have analytics sort of perfected the sports too much, where now we understand the best way to win games is by these models, and that's the only way we're going to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, analytics changed all of this. There's no you don't manage by field anymore. It's by the book. And the number of managers who manage to lose a game by following the book is Aaron Boone with the Yankees. You know, you get so caught up in the analytics. What's right there? I got numbers, it's in black and white. There's no field of.
Speaker 6: The gamestic Statistically, it's the right thing to do. Yes, nine times out of ten this would have worked, but this was the tenth time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh well, analytics changed changed everything.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, all of a sudden, you're like frozen, you know, like I don't know what to do. It's right there, it tells me when I'm supposed to do. Hey, that guy's still throwing pretty well. No, no, he's got fifty two pitches. He's coming out.
Speaker 10: Yeah, pulling with analytics click on an NBA shot chart, it's threes and then this dead area from twenty feet to eight feet and then layups and dunks. It's remember Rick Patino was on our show in twenty thirteen. He said his assistant coach, who was his analytics guy, said, tell your guys not to shoot midrage jumpers anymore.
Speaker 11: Discourage it. And everyone's followed.
Speaker 2: Suit Kevin in Texas and we'll take a break while he Zerbiak will join us.
Speaker 3: Coming up, Hey, keV, Hey Dpete.
Speaker 4: Just a couple of things on Lebron and stephen A. Smith. You're right, you can't compare eras because I mean, well, forty years ago, the guys at halftime are smoking, smoking heaters and ripping beers, and you know now they've got nutritionists and you know, physical therapy and all this stuff. And the other thing is stephen A. Smith saying he would swing on Lebron. No, sert, you would not. And as they say in the wire, if you come at the King, you best not missed.
Speaker 3: It's true. Yeah, I don't. Stephen A does have to.
Speaker 2: Now you're talking about taking a punch, swinging at Lebron James, and you know, Lebron's not going to swing at you, and this is Hey, I'm in Bristol, tough guy. Hey, if he puts his hands on me, like, come on now, if they want to do pay per view, like this is a paper, I'd have never paid for paid for view.
Speaker 3: I would pay for this.
Speaker 2: It won't last long, but I would watch that pay for you know, paid for review.
Speaker 8: Yes, what a start to stephen A's new contract.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was quite a day for Lebron yesterday to have his interview, everything he said, and then he has the game winning basket last night.
Speaker 3: Yes, Tom, what if it wasn't.
Speaker 13: A punch but Lebron through his Talcolm powder and stephen A's face, what do you do?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Look out, Lebron's the lookout, you know. If Mike Tyson puts his hand on me, I'm gonna I'm gonna take a swing at him, all right.
Speaker 13: But friends like that Lutiny's enemies, right, It's.
Speaker 3: Like it's never going to happen. But you can say it.
Speaker 5: Just for the record, if Lebron put his hands on me, I would have swung at him too.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, that's right, all right, What about you Marvin.
Speaker 3: If Lebron puts his hands on you, what are you doing?
Speaker 8: The king versus the Prince, it's going down.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, my money's on the Prince. Prince of darkness. Todd, what about you.
Speaker 13: I'm not throwing a punch back.
Speaker 9: I'm just running to my attorney and it's lost it for many millions of dollars.
Speaker 2: I'll see you in court. Yeah, on the court, in court. All right, take a break. Wally Serbiak will join us. Coming up next.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 14: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 15: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 14: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 15: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 14: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 15: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 14: I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too. Take your phone calls, chop it up.
Speaker 15: As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 14: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 15: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 14: From five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific.
Speaker 15: And if you miss any of the live show, just sir koben on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 14: That's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 3: More phone calls coming up.
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day brought to you was always by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. He was the sixth overall pick by the Minnesota Timberwolves back in nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 3: He's while he's ERBIAX.
Speaker 2: CBS Sports College Basketball studio analyst also works for the New York Knicks. Good to talk to you again, Wally. Do you have your Miami of Ohio sweatshirt on? Is that okay?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 3: You're repping.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 16: Reppin Ohio. Baby, Do I know you went to Dayton. I went to Miami. We were rivals back in the day. Dayton's gone a good path. They just missed the tournament in Miami, lost by two in their conference championships. So Travis Steel's doing a great job. I'm excited about where the program is.
Speaker 3: If you didn't go to Miami, where were you going?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 16: I wanted to go to Saint John's, but they didn't recruit me. They had Felipe Lopez going there, so they didn't really give me an opportunity.
Speaker 7: I was a little to recruit it.
Speaker 16: Other schools I was looking at was Harvard, North Carolina State, Iowa Siena.
Speaker 7: That was another one.
Speaker 16: I really wanted to go to Duke, but again didn't recruit me. Really wanted to play for Rick Patino, didn't recruit me. I really wanted to play in the Big East. So I ended up at Miami. Played for great coaches. Sean Miller was an assistant, Pad Moda was an assistant. Herb Senec who was still coaching at Santa Clara doing.
Speaker 7: A great job. He was the head coach.
Speaker 16: So I went to kind of the cradle of coaches, which Miami is known for in football and also in college basketball. All those guys are thriving. So I got some great coaching for four years.
Speaker 2: But would you have stayed there in the transfer portal, nil era, No.
Speaker 16: I just I loved it. It's an amazing school. I got my degree, I have great friends. It's just an awesome campus, awesome place. But in today's landscape, the way pay players from mid majors are getting kind of taken away from small teams and going to the big schools. You look at a team like Flora, you know, Walter Clayton junior from my ownA, Elijah Martin from fau will Richard transferred.
Speaker 7: From a mid major.
Speaker 16: A lot of those top tier teams, and we heard Bruce Parle even said it. He said he loves to get transfers that come from mid majors that haven't had the glorious meals, pregame meals, that have been driving the games back and forth on buses, which we used to do in Miami of Ohio and the Mid American Conference. They really appreciate coming to those big schools from mid majors. They work hard, they grinders, a lot of the top players in this tournament left are transfers from mid major schools.
Speaker 2: John cali Perry said yesterday in Pat McAfee show, at least I think it was yesterday, but he was talking about how you got to wait for the transfer portal before you can get a high school player. But I'm guessing these coaches have contact with these high school players and you kind of have a sense of who on your team is going to be transferring, you're put their name in the portal. So is it that big of a deal that we have the transferred portal window open right now?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 16: I think it could wait a little bit longer. I think it puts a lot on coaches that are still coaching's plate because they need to focus on trying to win a national championship and win games. And you can't be recruiting guys watching film on guys in the transfer portal on the side, because you don't know whether those guys are going to pull the trigger and go to school and take a sure thing. As far as the scholarship and opportunity in an nil opportunity.
Speaker 7: It's got to be crazy. Listen.
Speaker 16: The coaches have been doing it for years. Like for example, Herb Sendek, God bless them. We had a great freshman year. He ended up going on to NC State. You know, we hired Charlie Goles and my career kind of exploded. So it worked out great for me. But coaches leave when they have good seasons to take better opportunities. Now players have the opportunity to do the exact same thing. I think it's better for the game of basketball. I think if it's elevated the play of the players and of the teams, because iron sharpens iron, and now the best players they can go to the teams and play for the best coaches. And I think that's why we see eight teams left from the SEC and the Sweet sixteen.
Speaker 3: Okay, but what kind of tweaks are you going to make?
Speaker 2: If I said, all right, you're going to run college basketball, what's the one thing you want to change.
Speaker 16: The one thing is to make sure there's a lot of promises out there as far as transfers and nil money and stuff like that that don't get delivered.
Speaker 7: If there's any way that it can be a lot more.
Speaker 16: It's kind of a wild wide West, and it's like a promise that might never come to fruition. If there can be a way to just guarantee stuff and happening, you know, maybe a contract something like that, a two year deal where coaches know who's going to be playing for them for at least two years and not just one, and they can just transfer after one.
Speaker 7: Something like that.
Speaker 16: Maybe giving a guy one transfer in their four years without sitting out. Then if they want to transfer again, they have to sit out a year. Goes back to the old rules back when I played, or if you transferred you need to just sit out a year and pay your dues kind of in order to play for a new coach on a new team and a new campus. So I think those are a couple ideas that are being thrown around, But overall, the quality of the game is very good. I love seeing high level basketball and I like watching the best basketball players in college in the amateur level, and this year we've gotten to that point where the best players are playing on the best teams for the best coaches.
Speaker 2: Talking to while e ZERBIAKCBS Sports College Basketball Analysts, So you faced Michael Jordan at the end of his career with the Wizards. You had Lebron early in Lebron's career in Kobe kind of middle of his career.
Speaker 16: I had Kobe the whole entire time picking my butt out of the They're not just out of the playoffs.
Speaker 7: It felt like every year with Kobe and Shack.
Speaker 16: When I was with the Minnesota Timberwolves and Kevin Garnett's free Well and Cassel, that team was just dominant.
Speaker 7: So Kobe was outstanding.
Speaker 3: Okay, most frustrating out of that three to cover a.
Speaker 16: Well, I didn't play against Jordan in his prime. The hardest guy for me to cover, I've always said this was Paul Pierce. I played against him for years. He was such a smart basketball player.
Speaker 7: For me. Being six seven sixty eight.
Speaker 16: Paul Pierce had had had the height that could match up with me, and I just had a lot of problems with guarding him. You know, he changed speeds, He's so smart. He was one of the most underrated superstars I think in my generation. The opportunity to play with him in Boston also for a year and a half, got to know him as a guy.
Speaker 7: But he was an handful for me.
Speaker 16: Obviously Kobe was because he was so quick, so fast, But the thing I could kind of I could. I could post up Kobe a little bit, and you know, because I had a little bit of a size and strength advantage, so I could get some buckets on him.
Speaker 7: I couldn't stop him, though, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: On the other end, was Jordan still talking trash back then at the end of his career.
Speaker 7: Jordan talked the most trash to me on the golf course.
Speaker 16: I've played with golf with Michael a couple of times, and he's a whole lot of fun to play golf with. He's a lot of fun to play against in basketball too, But he talks a lot.
Speaker 7: Of trash on the golf course.
Speaker 16: He's a big time competitor, and he talked a little bit of trash. But when he was with the Wizards and I was with the Timberwolves. In the three years that I played against him, we won. We were six and zero against the Wizards, back and forth, home and away. We beat him every single time. So I caught him at the end of his career. But nothing but respect for him. He's my goat. With all due respect to Lebron, my teammate. I got Lebron number two on the Greatest of All Time lists. Michael Jordan, what he accomplished when he needed to win a game.
Speaker 7: He won it. When he needed to make the big shot, he made it.
Speaker 16: And the way he dominated basketball on both ends of the floor for his career.
Speaker 7: He's my greatest of all time.
Speaker 2: Okay, but is there something Lebron could accomplish that would change that list?
Speaker 16: You know what he's doing with the longevity, It's incredible, it really is. It's just the tightness of Jordan's career making it to six five I was in winning all six Obviously, had great teammates and a great coach, but he dominated his era of basketball like nobody else. Did you know the longevity of Lebron If you want to enter a different argument, the fact that he's still doing it at forty years old is absolutely incredible. I think they're legitimate title contender this year, so it's amazing. But the fact that Michael Jordan did it in a small span of time and just dominated every finals, I just don't think there's anything Lebron can do to surpass that. Fifty thousand points plus amazing accomplishment. And I got him number two, right behind Michael Jordan.
Speaker 2: Looking at the games tonight BYU Alabama, Maryland, Florida, Arizona, Duke, Arkansas, Texas Tech. Where's the surprise slash? Upset in that group.
Speaker 16: BYU Alabama is must be TV. That's the game to watch. This BYU team coached under Kevin Young, an NBA mind that came from the Phoenix Suns. Spreads the floor, out shoots a lot of three. They get up and down the floor. They have outstanding big rebounders down low. So Alabama's going to have to bring their hard hat and they're gonna have to rebound. This game is going to be first one to one hundred. I'm really excited for this game. I think it's being played in Newark out there in New Jersey. This is going to be a great one. As far as upsets, I think Maryland might be able to pull an upset. I mean Maryland, they have a great crab five. They announced standing save an outstanding starting five. They're rested after the first weekend. Florida looked a little bit vulnerable against Yukon. I love Walter Clayton Jr. He shot him out of that game making some big shots and if Yukon could have hit some open threes, which Danny Hurley drummed up for his guys. They could have won that game. They just missed too many open shots Caravan and McNeely. I think that could be an upset. Special look out for the Maryland terms.
Speaker 2: If you were Cooper Flag, give me a reason why you would go back to Duke, because.
Speaker 16: It's a lot of fun to play in college basketball campus.
Speaker 7: There's nothing like it.
Speaker 16: If the thing is there's a lot of risk if he does go back, you know he's the surefire number one.
Speaker 7: He's ready for the NBA. What you get when you go to the NBA the.
Speaker 16: Coaching, the professionalism off the court, the physical therapists, the trainers, the strength coaches. It is an all inclusive program to maximize your basketball abilities. Not saying that Duke is not the same because Duke is at one of the highest levels in college. BYU is doing the same thing with Kevin Young coaching. They're trying to become basically a G League team, an NBA development team in college to get guys ready to play at the next level.
Speaker 7: But Cooper Flagg just has so much to risk.
Speaker 16: If he doesn't come out, he's going to be the number one picking the draft, the number one picking the draft makes a lot of money guaranteed, so we'll see. I know he's thrown out the idea. I think it would be great for college if he came back. I would love it because I love watching him in a Duke uniform. But at the same time, it's a very risky move if he does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the Wizards could be there.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's hard to say, Hey, you know, they won the lottery and I'm the prize I get to go to Washington. If you were going to go to Washington right now, or you had a chance to stay at Duke for one more year, what would you do.
Speaker 16: I'll tell you that's a great point, you know, but there but what if the flip side is what if something happens it is, you know, at Duke and he hurts himself, you know, just something funky happens. That's a huge risk to take, you know, and you never know with how the draft is going to pan out. You know, we've seen teams jump up in the draft and you have to trust that. You know, most organizations in the NBA, they're figuring out once they get talent, they're figuring out how to maximize that talent and how to be pretty relevant. Washington's has been pretty irrelevant for a pretty long time, and I understand where you're coming from, but it's just that too big a risk for a guy like Hooper to take.
Speaker 3: Good to catch up with you again, Wally, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 16: Always fun. Enjoyed the Sweet sixteen. It's going to be a lot of fun the rest of the way, all the way to San Antonio.
Speaker 7: Crinic a champ.
Speaker 2: That's Wally zurbiank CBS sports college basketball analyst ormerstar at Miami of Ohio. You know, speaking of Lebron, he on the interview with Pat McAfee talked about that maybe the lottery was rigged when he was going to go to Cleveland, that they may have rigged it. I don't know if he was serious, and I never can tell. It always feels like there's a passive aggressive feel to some of his answers. Does he really think that Cleveland tanked? They clearly tanked, but I'd like to know how the commissioner fixed it. Now we've heard about Patrick Ewing, and I'm going to apologize to David Stern, who's no longer with us. David, I apologize I promised I would never bring this up. Ever again. I didn't bring it up. Lebron brought it up. Okay, you want to be mad at somebody, Be mad at Lebron, not me that the envelope ad was colder than the Oh, here's the commissioner. The envelope was colder than the other envelopes. Now it's a great idea, it is. But I I think, I mean, just imagine. God, I apologize, commissioner. Yes, I know I should never bring I know, I know, I know you can be mad at me.
Speaker 6: Oh I see, let me write that down.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, So one envelope.
Speaker 13: Was colder than all the other no one else noticed.
Speaker 3: Oh that's good.
Speaker 5: Let me let me remember that one day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh god, yes, Paul.
Speaker 8: Total hypothetical.
Speaker 10: If you're going to fix a sport for Lebron James to enter it, would you have picked Cleveland or another team.
Speaker 2: I would have picked La New York, not Cleveland. Like it's nice that he's from there.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: If I want he's going to be the face of the league. I want him in big markets all the time. Yes, Marvin, but he was the biggest star in the sport in Cleveland. Yes, so it aagine what it so it didn't matter where he went. Yeah, but you still didn't have a good team. I mean, he dragged them to the finals, granted, but if he's playing in a bigger market, maybe on a better team, they're going to be on national TV all the time.
Speaker 17: But doesn't it help the NBA if there's if there's more marquee teams instead of just New York in LA, doesn't it help the NBA that your biggest star is in Cleveland and he's from Akron. So it all kind of worked out the way.
Speaker 3: I don't know if.
Speaker 2: The commissioner in a private moment would say, you know, I'm glad that the m v P plays in Oklahoma City. Just don't think that that would you know?
Speaker 8: Is that not good for the league?
Speaker 12: Though?
Speaker 3: I think they care the big markets, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think they're concerned about Memphis unless Memphis goes you know what, we were not getting attendance.
Speaker 3: Now we have to move.
Speaker 2: But for the most part, it feels like, you know, they well, I would think a bigger market for Lebron Victor wen Benyama went to San Antonio, So you want to fix it?
Speaker 3: Are you going to fix it by sending him to San Antonio?
Speaker 17: Yes, Mark, Yeah, it's definitely not fixed because Boston had the best odds to get Tim Dunkey.
Speaker 8: Yes, would.
Speaker 2: I just you know, but Lebron, you can't be flippant when you put that out there. There's already enough conspiracy theorists. There's also you know, referees and fixing games, and you know, you just can't go down that road. You're the face of the league. You're going to be a future owner of an NBA franchise, Yes, Mark.
Speaker 17: And also with Derek Rose, the Bulls had like a one point seven chance to get the number one pick that year. And on top of that, it wasn't a foregone conclusion that Derek Rose was going to be the number one pick, because Michael Beasley had one of the best seasons ever and he was pick number two. So it was like a foregone conclusion that Derek Rose was going home.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Marvin, I'm here, come on, I know, conversation. All right, Well, take a break, more phone calls coming up. Got a busy final hour of the program. Tim Kirkchin, he'll join us. It's a reopening day and the Commissioner of the SEC, Greg Sanky back After.
Speaker 1: This, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: Jim in Ohio, Hi Jim, thanks for holding What's on your mind?
Speaker 18: And good morning every mindy. I think that the Dodgers are extremely bad for baseball. I don't really blame the players like you said, but I really blamed ownership and with some degree, Major League Baseball for letting the salary to the place that they are right now. I attend about three to six red games the season, and I'm a realist. I'm pretty sure that La Da la Cruz when his contracts up. I think when he's twenty seven, he will not be a Cincinnati Red even if the Capsillenis could afford it, I would not be in favor of them dropping a huge salary on one player. So it's MLB has been going in the wrong direction for quite a while. I've been a baseball fan for about fifty five years, and I never thought it would get to the point that it has.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's tricky because the Dodgers, I think out smart people getting Otani to defer most of that contract.
Speaker 3: You know, other teams aren't doing that. I don't know if they will.
Speaker 2: I don't know what's going to happen in fifteen years from now when some of these contracts come do, what the salary caps go, what baseball is going to look like?
Speaker 3: Baseball is a regional sport. But they've done.
Speaker 2: I think baseball had a great year last year, and I would expect them to build on that this year. Game got a little quicker, got a little more interesting, a little bit more movement. I mean, these are all things that I've brought up over the years that you know, just tweaks with it. You're not doing anything crazy, just tweaks. And I think you have to get past the hey, we're America's pastime. No you're not not anymore. But that doesn't mean you still can't be second on that list. But I think there was this, Hey, you know what's happened to our sport? It just got more regional. It's not a national pastime anymore. Yes, Boem, I think you're right. It's a regional sport for about ninety percent of the teams. But the Dodgers have become a worldwide international team. In the past five years, they're becoming a pipeline for the top Japanese talent. It almost reminds me and see what you could back me up, the Premier League was soccer. There's a bunch of local teams like Newcastle and you know back in the day they were smaller before they are bought by overseas. But then there's Manchester United that were worldwide teams. And that's what the Dodgers feel like now, a worldwide franchise. By the way, speaking of opening Day, this team has the best opening day record among active franchises. Best opening day record. This team has won sixty five percent of its opening days. Todd, I'm going to start with you the Atlanta Bread Marvin.
Speaker 11: The Colorado Rockies, Paul your Cincinnati Reds.
Speaker 3: Seaton, Well that was my guess.
Speaker 5: I'll say Paul's Chicago.
Speaker 3: Cubs, the Mets.
Speaker 2: The Mets own the best opening day record among active franchises. They are forty one and twenty two stat of the.
Speaker 3: Day stat of the day. But stead of the day stat of the.
Speaker 8: Day, here comes that what stat of the day?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Great, Hey, we're really good. In the month of April, Hey, we're good one day.
Speaker 3: The most Mets thing of all times.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and we're not even in April.
Speaker 11: Okay, we're seven and one. We're really good.
Speaker 3: In March. One day, Meet the Mets, Meet the Mens. Not a Yankee city anymore.
Speaker 2: We were looking at some of the ballpark food and it really feels like you could throw whatever you wanted on a bun or in a in a helmet a container and just say, here you go, hey, look at what we have. Here's Teremy Sue in a Yankee helmet. Like what, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 8: Some of that food you got to eat at home?
Speaker 3: You can't be on a date and have I.
Speaker 17: Get a pulled pork with extra onions. You'd be making a game Chappelle noise.
Speaker 6: Yes, I would gladly trade, you know, the chicken sandwich with the slices of pizza and onion rings on it. And you know how you cobble all this crap on for just like a quality cheeseburger. I'm okay, do you we just have a quality cheeseburg. Why does the cheeseburger have to have a chicken parm on top of it too?
Speaker 8: In order for us to.
Speaker 1: Be like, yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay again, I just have a good cheeseburger. But we knew this with a bloody Mary.
Speaker 3: We need you gotta have an oyster, and yeah, I don't have to.
Speaker 6: It's got this spear sticking out of it with a grilled cheese stuck on top of it.
Speaker 5: Why why can't I just drink a bloody Mary?
Speaker 3: Yes, Todd, do they have cheeseburgers with a chicken parm on it?
Speaker 13: Because that just peaked my interest?
Speaker 3: I know it's really okay.
Speaker 2: Discuss Todd came up with some fictitious ballpark snacks meals.
Speaker 13: Okay, I've got here based on mult balls, a box shaped like a bass filled with whoppers or those chocolate mumballs based on multballs for a nice little.
Speaker 9: Snack, forty club forty ounces of turkey or forty ounce of fries at a forty ounce soft drink, the metal pork because of my rhyming skins, walk intental pork, a generous ball of slice barbecue pork with your choice of four sides, because four balls equals a walk.
Speaker 3: How about that?
Speaker 11: Thanks for clearing.
Speaker 2: That familiar, Todd, said, Tater brots. How about a brought worse stuff with Tater tots triple play, a hot dog, hamburger and chicken sandwich. O, you don't.
Speaker 3: HiT's?
Speaker 2: I mean, I have to give credit to those who are creating these dishes like split fingers, chicken fingers filled with habapanos, guacamole, and melton cheese.
Speaker 3: Split fingers. That actually sounds okay.
Speaker 8: What about a bean ball?
Speaker 9: Fired ball dough means if a player gets hit by a pitch, show your receipt, you get your money back for the beanball.
Speaker 3: How about the hot corner.
Speaker 13: A spicy noodle dish that can only be purchased. I think second stiff located down the third base line.
Speaker 3: Uh Todd came up with earned, but I don't know what that means.
Speaker 13: So you know what that means.
Speaker 8: That's at Crappensburg State games. Let's play too, It's.
Speaker 13: Your combo platter, very greasy food.
Speaker 6: I used to go to Cape League baseball games all the time, and one of them had this thing called a slammer and it was a cheeseburger, but the bun was two Boston cream donuts.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no repulsive, no, no final hour on the way, We'll talk to the SEC Commissioner, Greg Sankey and Tim Kirchhin from the mother ship. Happy reopening day in Major League Baseball.