Speaker 1: LinkedIn News.
Speaker 2: From LinkedIn News and I heard podcasts. This is let's talk offline. I'm Gianna Prudenti.
Speaker 3: And I'm Jamaie Jackson Gadsden. It's the holiday season, y'all. And if that we're doing something a little bit different this week. Now what's different, you might ask, Well, first, did you know that LinkedIn has a whole podcast network filled with other podcasts that talk all about work related topics?
Speaker 4: Mmmm?
Speaker 5: Now you know?
Speaker 3: So if that in mine? Over the next two weeks, gian and I want to share some of our favorite episodes from other shows in the LinkedIn podcast network.
Speaker 2: Ugh, I'm so excited. You know, we have some pretty amazing colleagues who also give really great advice on their shows, and we've learned a lot from the conversations they've had on their podcast. And this week we want to share an episode from Get Hired.
Speaker 3: Yep, one of our work besties. LinkedIn's Andrew Seaman spoke to Jill H. Fuller, Professor of Management Practice at Harvard Business School, about how AI is changing the future of work and hiring.
Speaker 2: AI is becoming a more prevalent part of all of our lives, especially when it comes to work and we loved this conversation because Andrew and Joseph really helped dispel some of the fears we might have when it comes to embracing new technology and understanding AI will only help us stay competitive in the job market. So we hope you enjoy this conversation from get Hired.
Speaker 6: From the way people apply for jobs and hiring managers screen applicants to the actual kind of roles available, AI is reshaping every aspect of getting hired today. AI powered tools hold enormous promise for job seekers, but they also pose some potential challenges. So how should you be thinking about your career in the context of AI, well, whether you're just starting out, looking to pivot, or trying to climb the ladder. We're getting into all of that on today's show. From LinkedIn News, This is Get Higher, a podcast for the ups and downs and the ever changing landscape of our professional lives. I'm and Andrew Seman, LinkedIn Senior Managing editor for Jobs and Career Development, bringing in conversations with people who, like me, want to see you succeed at work, at home, and everywhere in between. Joining me today is Joseph Fuller. He's a Professor of Management Practice at Harvard Business School and the co leader of the Managing the Future of Work initiative. Professor Fuller is an expert on what's known as the skill gap in the US labor force, which is the space between the current skills of the US workforce and the skills needed to get work done. He's written extensively about policy solutions to address it. We met up at the Walmart Opportunity Summit in Washington, d C. To discuss how AI is changing the nature of work and hiring. I kicked off our conversation by asking why it's so important to be thinking about the role of new technologies in the future of work right now?
Speaker 4: Can you tell us a.
Speaker 7: Little bit about what you think of today's gathering and sort of what you hope people will get out of it.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: I think today's gathering actually is a bit of a recognition that the way large companies particularly have been approaching challenges the labor market needs a refresh and rethink. People are executing as best as they know how the old playbook and the old playbook. They're not moving the ball at the rate they feel they need to. In terms of cultivating the right skills space, having more agile workforce, And there's some bedrock assumptions on which a lot of hiring has been made in talent sources made that the American K through twelve system will consistently create large numbers of people work ready, that the post secondary sector is going to create people with.
Speaker 5: Relevant job skills.
Speaker 1: It does, but forty four percent of college graduates end up underemployed when they graduate. So there's a lot of warning sides. And I think when you get this many very prominent companies sending very senior people to something like this, it's more than just an active contributing to the commons and trying to do the right thing. It's an expression of business necessity.
Speaker 7: Well, what do you think about this moment overall, especially with the arrival of AI, because we're seeing the companies talk about skills, but with the specter of this huge technological shift.
Speaker 5: So how do you.
Speaker 7: Think people in the workforce who feel maybe like cogs and a wheel, how should they view this moment?
Speaker 5: Well, in terms of AIAI is really the.
Speaker 1: Culmination of an arc of technological development we've seen over the last twenty years. As many people understand AI of different forms has existed for a long time. Generative AI, though, was this capstone development, and it's going to be different than previous technologies insomuch as it has a couple of features. One is it's an augmentative technology, by which we mean it allows people to do elements of their job very well. It's not an automation technology. We're just one for one. You all the software in this case and the job goes away. It also is asymmetrically oriented toward knowledge workers and higher wage workers. Most technological revolutions have more or less addressed middle skills worker, lower wage workers, the bottom end of the white collar distribution. So this is going to very much affect different populations to both make it more productive but also make there be greater pressures on their employability. We're now at an age where, in multiple instances, the half life of a technology is about equal to the time it takes.
Speaker 5: To master the technology.
Speaker 1: That's just crazy that that's so off the map of the known world, And that gets us a little bit of the question about individuals AI. Our data suggests that people are very curious about AI, men of them are very hopeful about AI.
Speaker 5: So I think for.
Speaker 1: Individuals right now. The first thing you understand is this is here to stay. It's designed to be navigable by human being who can type, and pretty soon it'll do audio recognition.
Speaker 5: So playing with.
Speaker 1: It, even just the open available, no monthly fee, understanding that it's I want to show up in your work sooner or later. So it might be a little intimidating, but time to stick your toes.
Speaker 5: In the water in your work.
Speaker 7: You talk to a lot of companies and the sense I get from a lot of them is that they're kind of in the same boat where they're like, we want to use this technology, and obviously they are, yes, but at the same time they're still trying to be like how though, Like they're still trying to figure out exactly how it will be beneficial to them right.
Speaker 1: Yes, And what I'd add to that is, because it's an augmentative technology, it's much harder to adopt than an automation technology. A lot of companies are essentially saying, what.
Speaker 5: Wow, using this is complicated.
Speaker 1: Right when companies started moving from horsepower to electrical power, that was complicated too, and this technology is fundamentals at this is the most important technological development since controllable power. So what you have to do as a company to deploy it is you have to not intrude it into your existing process. You have to re engineer your process around what it can do. That means you're going to change job descriptions, metrics, the process flow and so a lot of companies are actually having negative margin impact right now because they're paying to spread AI three at the workforce, but they haven't had the confidence or the knowledge of yet what costs it could take out to offset those costs. So most adoption curves and your technology is like those are shaped like an s. Early adopters could be hobbyists. Even then the economics start to get more favorable scale economies and you get that ramp up, and then you get the late adopters that have no need for AI. Generative AI. It's actually jshaped. It's cash negative, margin negative right now. For a lot of companies, the question is how soon can they make the associated changes with the way that they do processes. Today, adopt AI displays those casts and then bounce out the other end, But when they bounce out, it's going to be with a very steep slope.
Speaker 7: What strikes me is how dynamic. It is like especially in customer service. Yes examples where you know, the high performers they don't benefit from AI, but the low performers in a call center they benefit.
Speaker 1: You're citing that MIT staff and research, which is terrific. It turns out as a great leveler. We did research at Harvard Business School on this as well, looking at analysts in a prominent consulting firm, and what you saw there which was startling, is that in the existing performance management system, a seventy fifth percentile performer was viewed as forty percent more productive than a twenty fifth percentile performer. That gap closed to about fifteen percent if both groups had access to AI. And I think this gets back to this how the individual should think about it. A lot of people are going to hear hears from new technology AI. Aren't Schwarzenegger, Oh my gosh and Matthew Broderick, you know and wherever that movie was called. And in fact, for many people, what it's going to do is help them do elements of their job which maybe don't come easily to them a lot better, with more confidence, better performance, which is going to enhance their standing with their employer, with their boss, and and the more comfortable you are with it, the more you're going to find it's going to free up time, especially for those urgent, unimportant things that tend to wreck your calendar. A lot of that kind of routine transactions and A will be very good at and you can escape that and focus on the higher value added activities.
Speaker 5: In your role.
Speaker 6: We'll be right back with Joseph Buller. And we're back with Joseph Buller, Professor of Management Practice at Harvard Business School.
Speaker 7: I think sort of also, what we're talking about here is for individuals to think of themselves not necessarily as like you know a teacher or you know accountant, but you have these skills and it can be transformed into different professions. How should people sort of view that because they might say, listen, I went to school to be a teacher or I went to school to be an accountant, and they may resist that.
Speaker 1: Well, there are certain jobs A technical writer would be a good example where it's going to be very hard to imagine future where a lot of those man hours are not displaced. But if you look, for example, what con Academy is doing with Conbigo and AI for teachers, it's doing everything from creating an environment where they're trying to teach the student how to use AI, but prevent the student from over relying on AI, but also doing diagnostics for what Jimmy or Jony actually understand or don't, but also giving feedback to the teacher. We looked at your twenty students in American history and they are very confused about the Louisiana purchase, or all over the map on causes of the Civil War, or frankly, none of.
Speaker 5: Them can write a topic sense.
Speaker 1: So the opportunity to make people, even in white collar trades like that more productive, focus on areas improvement and user satisfaction. I won't call students in high school customers, but an awful lot of opportunities let people do the part of the job they really enjoy, and it's the animating reason they pursued the profession the first place.
Speaker 5: We have ninety minimum two thousand.
Speaker 1: Word papers degrade in the next two weeks.
Speaker 5: I love my students.
Speaker 1: I think these will A lot of these will be really good papers, but I'm not looking forward to reading. You know, one hundred and eighty thousand words. That's the length of ANACRONAA.
Speaker 7: It sounds like there's so much potential for so many benefits, but it sounds like there might be definitely growing pains on all sides to get there right.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I think smart c suites, smart boards of directors are going to understand this is going to be a multi year program. I think heads of institutions or public servants that have service delivery roles like school committees and heads of school districts are going to have to understand that this is not going to be entirely easy. But there's incredible potential there just in the education sector alone, tunity to level the playing field. Let's go back to what you mentioned about customer service reps or I talked about consulting analysts exact same thing's going to happen for learners, for teachers, new teachers, and the ability to get big, big improvements in productivity and job satisfaction and user satisfaction in kind of a wind cube type model. It's going to be remarkable. I'm really an optimist about AI relative to legitimate uses. We have to fear AI in the hands of bad actors.
Speaker 7: What would you say you know from your experience for job seekers that are navigating the current kind of weird labor market. I think for most people, what would you say your best advice to them navigating that that landscape.
Speaker 1: We don't use the word weird at Harvard Business School, we use a technical term goofy. The current labor market is manifesting a couple of phenomena. The first is that we are a post industrial economy. It is an economy that requires digital literacy, not super digital competence. It doesn't mean that you need to be able to code in Python or something, or explain how a touchscreen works, but you have to be comfortable with digital devices, and someone who isn't needs to find a way to address that. Also, it's very, very important to be able to demonstrate or find your social skills. A lot of younger people, unfortunately because of COVID, because the growth of social media, their amount of social interaction is lower than previous generations, even their older brothers and sisters and cousins.
Speaker 5: So how do you do those things?
Speaker 1: Because it sounds like I'm saying, well, if you don't have it by now, well, first of all, you can try to gain some experiences and the amount of free material that already exists, and the types of abilities that are going to come soon to address issues like that are pretty remarkable. Chat GPT already has ability to with a fairly brief tape of you speaking, replicate your voice with one hundred percent fidelity. So if you want to hear how you sound in a job interview, you'll be able to do that and actually have a conversation with your early enough with yourself. At Harvd Business School, we studied a few years ago where do business people go as a first source for an explanation of a business concept they don't feel the understand For many many years it actually was the Harvard Business Review, so we're very proud of that. It isn't the Harvard Business View anymore.
Speaker 5: It's YouTube.
Speaker 1: So if you want the resource in YouTube if you want to learn about something.
Speaker 5: Are awesome. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So be honest about your portfolio of skill, try to augment them to degree you can, and look using resources like LinkedIn about what are the skills that people that have the job you aspire to talk about? What do they talk about in terms of what they did? Look at their preview jobs. Build a little bit of a portrait of what you think your desired industry and desired entry level position is seeking, and then be objective about contrasting what you've got versus what they're looking for, and see if you can't backfill a couple of spots you know, attributes or skills or experiences. If you're seeing a gap that you think is impeding you from realizing that ambition.
Speaker 7: I'm super helvil. Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: You bet.
Speaker 6: That was Joseph Fuller, Professor of Management Practice at Harvard Business School. If you're leading today's conversation with a new learning to apply to your job search career, I'd like to invite you to write about it in a review on Apple Podcast. Our team really enjoys reading what you learn from our shows. Plus it helps other people discover our community. Speaking of community, remember that we're always here backing you up and cheering you on. Connect with me Andrew Seaman and the get Hired community on LinkedIn to continue the conversation. In fact, subscribe to my weekly newsletter that's called you Guessed It Get Hired to get even more information.
Speaker 4: Delivered to you every week. You can find those links in the show notes, and of course don't forget to click the follow or subscribe button to get our podcast delivered to you every Wednesday, because we'll be continuing these conversations on the next episode right here wherever you like to listen. Get Hired is a production of LinkedIn News. This episode was produced by Grace Rubin asaf Gedon engineered our show. Joe de Georgie mixed our show. Dave Pond as Head of News Production. Enrique Montalvo is our executive producer. Courtney Coop is the head of original Programming for LinkedIn. Dan Ropp is the editor in chief of LinkedIn, and I'm Andrew Seman. Until next time, stay well and best of luck.