Speaker 1: Welcome into another special edition of the Booth Review Podcast. I'm Brahm Einstein. London Fletcher will be my weekly partner. But today down in Miami, off of the Joint Practice, the one and only Brian Mitchell.
Speaker 2: What's going on.
Speaker 3: I'm good.
Speaker 1: We beat the rain. It's actually ever taping this. It's pouring outside, but we had the underrated humidity humidity of Miami today for the joint practice.
Speaker 4: Yes, it is down south, you know, you see it gets human and when you're this close to the water, it happens. And normally right around this time the rain comes in. It's gonna stop soon and it's gonna be hot.
Speaker 3: To say all that did? All right?
Speaker 1: So we did the first edition of this last week and London and I we're in a hotel room like you and I are right now down in Miami. And then we threw it up on YouTube and everybody freaked.
Speaker 2: Out because they couldn't see us.
Speaker 1: So it's what you're not gonna obviously, if you're watching this now, you're not gonna see us. But we promise in the ones that start on the twenty six, we're gonna do.
Speaker 2: It out of the studio. You'll be able to see y.
Speaker 3: Hey, there we go.
Speaker 2: There's that.
Speaker 1: All right, you're gonna you can watch b Mitch tomorrow night at the game with Chickernandez and Brian Colbert Junior. WUSA nine is the local carry of the preseason for the Commanders and you could hear me London and Logan Paulson on the radio. Big one hundred is the flagship for the game tomorrow night. All right, now we paid all the bills, all right, let's do it all right. Mike McDaniel dan Quinn have a unique relationship. In fact, even dan quinn talked about today how he helped Mike McDaniel when he was going through some substance abuse back in the day and really was a big fan of his work, and he had talked openly about how this really worked out in the preseason with these joint practices. He has a very close relationship with Robert Sala, very close relationship.
Speaker 2: With Mike McDaniel.
Speaker 1: And I think today what you saw was a very professional environment between these two teams, and it was coordinated that it.
Speaker 4: Was a very professional environment. And also because those two people respect each other. Yeah, and know only when the coaches respect each other, you'll get this type of practice where you know, you see a little push in the shove happens in sports, but you didn't see anything crazy.
Speaker 3: And I think the ultimate thing.
Speaker 4: Is that coaches always say what they don't want, and a lot of times they don't respect the coaches they are practicing against. They have their players doing some stupid. These two people respected each other and you didn't see that. And then you also saw the intention and day in practice they were able to get great work on both sides of the ball.
Speaker 2: So I want to talk about that.
Speaker 1: My biggest takeaway today from watching this was there was an effet mentality about Miami that is unusual. I saw this in their preseason game and getting ready to call the game, you know, against the Dolphins this week in their first one against Atlanta. They don't hide anything. They have what appears to be this confidence of we're just going to practice what we do, we don't care if you see it, and we want to make you stop it. And that was happening today in this practice. All that misdirection, the speed, the usage of all that. Washington got to experience it today.
Speaker 3: They got the experience it.
Speaker 4: But the thing about Mike McDaniel his offense is that you saw his base, Okay. They threw a lot of extra stuff off of that, and I think it was great for Washington because normally in preseason you see the vanilla stuff.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: His offense is more advanced than a lot of people's offenses, so the natural stuff is a lot of movement, which I think was great for these linebackers and for these defensive backs. They got to see those things and they also look like they below It didn't looked like they were overwhelmed by it.
Speaker 1: Now it's funny because the first few teams that Washington faces, if you look at the opponents, Tampa Bay Baker Mayfield, pocket passer, right Giants, Daniel Jones can move a little bit. Let's see what the offense looks like when he comes back. Joe Burrow like until we get to Arizona and don't really know what Kyler Murray's offense is gonna look like. I don't think they're gonna play anything that replicates anything like this. But I also feel like this team Miami, and it shows in how they performed a year ago. They execute with speed better than most teams. And if there ever was a good test to have in the preseason. It's these guys you find out where you are when you practice again.
Speaker 4: Like Jeremy Chin said, they have a footbaut one hundred track team on their roster. It was great for them because what happened with all the misdirection. You have to stick to your keys, and you saw a lot of that today where they didn't get lost. And I think when you look at some of the games last year, they got lost and right now I see I think you're seeing a better job of coaching happening. And also you're seeing a lot more people that's playing attention to detail. You know, when you pay attention to detail and you know what you have to do. Depending on where a person is on the field doesn't make a difference where they started at and how they run around. You just have when the ball is not where were they and I have to stick to those keys and they seem to be doing a great job of that, which when I was talking with Jeremy, he said that they're holding each other accountable.
Speaker 3: You know that word right there.
Speaker 4: Accountability is something that we haven't seen for the most part, and now we're starting to see it.
Speaker 1: There was a big change in a week. I mean it was pouring up in New York and the conditions were terrible. Aaron Rodgers didn't take part in it, but the Jets really had a lot lot of success, and I don't know how you judge. I'll ask you, how do you judge these practices? Because they didn't have a lot of success against them and it was mainly Tyrod Taylor in backups.
Speaker 2: This week was different.
Speaker 1: They really felt it felt unfazed by all of this. Not that we're keeping score during all of it, but it wasn't like a track meet like you might have expected with a new defense trying to figure out maybe the best offense in the league.
Speaker 3: I think when you look.
Speaker 4: At it like you going to your first game practicing against another team, a lot of guys may have never done it before, wasn't accustomed to it. Then you have bad weather on top of it, so you're trying to be cautious and not hurt yourself. Okay, the coaches told you no fighting because prior to them going up there, the bill going against the jail the Jets, you heard about the two hundred thousand dollars fines, and you know when Dan mentioned it in one of his press offenses. I figured he had already talked to these players. So they went up there a little less motivated by doing something that might get them in trouble, get the team in trouble. But the Jets were ready to go. And then this week you can see that growth came. They came back and say, okay, we're going to match your intensity.
Speaker 2: Well to your point.
Speaker 1: Like it looked like I can the center of the Dolphins was trying to go doron pain into something today and he just wouldn't go there. He's keeping his money in his pocket.
Speaker 4: You know. See back in the day, in my days, I saw like old man, we could fight. They wasn't filming practice, didn't have is this much that much attention on it, so you don't have to worry about fine in practice. Now they're looking at these things just like a game now. And when you're going if you're going to bring a black eye to the league, they're going to make sure they takes a green at your project.
Speaker 3: To your point.
Speaker 1: Like you were talking to Larry Izzo, the specialty coach, and he's telling us that you got into a fight with him down here. Yes, no fight.
Speaker 4: For that, No fight, No fire because probably they didn't care about the interstrui practices back then. Now football is so big, people want to know every little thing that you're training.
Speaker 3: And now I know.
Speaker 4: People like to say, oh man, you can't keep controlling practice. The reason that people losing in practice because they wouldn't getting fined for it. Now you're going to find out that people will keep control even more whenever someone that's trying to take your money.
Speaker 3: You understand which can and which can't do.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: The one moment that stood out for me to at least defensively was in red zone drills. Yes, Ta runs a play where it gets a single for Tyreek Hill coming across the field back of the end zone. Mike Sandra's still the rookie ends on him. He floats on up the hill. It's one on one back of the end zone, and Sandra's still wins.
Speaker 3: These are the.
Speaker 2: Moments where I go more of that.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, you see him against maybe the most elite player in the NFL right now. He's number one in the NFL one hundred list for good reason. We saw what he did us last December. Oh yeah, he's elite, and here Sandra's still unfazed.
Speaker 3: He's unfazed by anybody on the field.
Speaker 4: And I've talked to guys throughout this team and I asked some questions about him because I've been impressed by him from the moment I saw him. He walked into We were building a garden, a garden rebuild at the school, and he walks in, and I'd like to watch. What know, you get all the guys together, all this testouts run together, who does everybody talk to?
Speaker 3: Who did?
Speaker 4: They all begin to float towards and everybody floated towards Mike say were still okay? And when you see that, Eva Jayden went towards him. So I was saying, this kid has something special. Then you watch him on a football field, and he did. He he is ready, he's prepared, he's athletic. He doesn't seem overwhelmed by anything. But we will take a step back. That play worked a lot because they ran a two gap linebacker blitz and got the tool. He had to get rid of that bottle, and when he floated it, Mikey was right there for it to knock it out. So, as I stated before, the defensive backfield is gonna get better when that rush gets better, and I based off what I saw there, Joe Whitt and Dan are not gonna be sitting back waiting for you to just try to throw balls down the field.
Speaker 1: Jalen Wattle did not take part in the practice today and I don't believe he's gonna play this week, and he's nursing some kind of injury. Odell Beckham's on the Dolphins now, but it wasn't working out on the side. He's on the pup list, so we're not gonna see him as well. But if they put their starters out there, and I was talking to one of their reporters today because the preseason game number two lest year, they played him into the second Athletics League game, so we may see a lot of them.
Speaker 2: We're gonna get a lot of Tyreek Hill.
Speaker 1: So I wonder where you are on just our corners in general as a whole, because we might get a real test on Saturday.
Speaker 4: We will get a real test. And I think the one thing I would like to see it. You know, we saw last year and we saw the way that Forest played.
Speaker 3: You know, he had his.
Speaker 4: Ups and this down, but this has been a great test for him. I think he held his own out there today. You know he was right there and he made some plays. So when you go into a game like this anytime, I know when I would go into games and my friends going against game, if you saw somebody that was real good, you felt this is a time I could show what I'm about. And everybody should be thinking that way. And when you look at a team with that much speed, this secondary who I'm sure they all feel like last year wasn't us and we're a better team this year.
Speaker 3: What better team to shortage?
Speaker 1: I mean you think that way too, don't you. Oh yeah, bust last week it was horrible. I mean it was hard.
Speaker 4: It's not an indictment on anybody, but the whole thing about it is they didn't seem to be prepared. And if you don't seem to be prepared and then you were in the constantly being constantly being thrown out there, you're not being held accountable. So I just look at this whole thing now, and I can't guarantee what's going to happen, but I can tell you one thing. Accountability is something that's happening around here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there was confusion last year and told what everybody's jobs were, and we hear Dan Quinn and Joey talk about this over and over and over. I want to hear the communication and then I'll know that we're in the right spot. So there, however you want to talk about it, simplifying it, making sure everybody understands what their roles are, hopefully not leaving people hung out to dry this time. And in the case with Forbes, like I think he needs to redo, you know. I mean, that was a very tough year on a defense that fell to spots. I never thought i'd ever see the team fault with the talent that they had on it. And he needs to do over again.
Speaker 2: Go to see how it goes.
Speaker 3: But you know, and a lot of that comes from Forbes too.
Speaker 4: You know, your coaches can put you in the right spot, but also you can do a love studying yourself. And I'm not saying he doesn't, but I think you have to help yourself out. When I had to switch from being a quarterback to doing all these other positions, I didn't just wait for practice. Yeah, okay, I had guys. The team would tell me, you got to watch more film, and don't watch TV.
Speaker 3: You watch film. It's a difference.
Speaker 4: A lot of people say, hey, watching film and they finished in what twenty thirty minutes. If you watch a film, you're gonna finish in an hour and a half, two hours, three hours. Ernest Biner showed me that I was giving off signals to the defense about what I was about to do.
Speaker 3: So I had to change those things up.
Speaker 4: And if you want to improve, you got to make sure that every time, every moment, you have to make yourself better. And that could just be studying for a little bit, looking a little bit longer. It can help you out for He's to be trying to do that as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the other big thing that's happening in the game is Andrew Wiley returned. He's missed a lot of time, so he's probably gonna start it right tackle. He did take part in the practice today. Careelius Lucas is back. He missed the game against the Jets. He's probably gonna start at left tackle. We're still waiting on Brandon Coleman to come back from his injury. Hopefully he'll get into the Patriots game. We'll see, but I think this is another let's see what we have in front of Jaden Daniels. He had one little series. They didn't have either tackle that would project to be a starter. Let's see what that looks like on Saturday, Nyeah.
Speaker 4: I think when he played against the Jets, then they had to call game that basically said that we don't have our our right now, I've left tackle this game. They could probably call a different game, and then you get to see a little more of what you have. For a quarterback. You get three to four seconds to throw the football. Your office in line is not supposed to block eight nine seconds. So if they can block three to four seconds and allow Jaden to be able to go through his little process and get rid of the football, you know, handing it off, and you can move the people, and you can have different little plays to play action and things like that to throw slow off.
Speaker 3: The rush a little bit. They're going to be fine.
Speaker 4: Ultimately, what it comes down to, I don't know anybody ever in the league that just takes on one person every game and whips them all the time. You get some help. Sometimes you get a chip from the tight end, you get a chip from the running back. And I've already seen him in the last preseason game where the running backs were doing that.
Speaker 3: The tight ends we're doing that.
Speaker 4: So if I saw it in the first game, I expect to see it throughout the season. So if Wily is back and Lucas's back, you don't just stop helping them. You know, it may be just a little bump or just my presence may make that guy not want to come upfield and he's syst give Luke a better chance, or wildly a better chance the offense. The play call in a coach can help that out as well. And I think I already see Cliff doing that.
Speaker 1: And then today you know they were sharp. And I'm always like, I'm gonna be careful because I know they're trying to slow roll Jaden here, like they do not want to thrust him out there and say that he's anything more than what he is, which is a rookie quarterback who's got a great background and a lot of athletics skills, who did a couple of cool things the other day that everybody freaked out about. But he hadn't played a game yet, and they're trying to like they're trying to keep it in the bottle. But if you watch this practice today, it's hard not to get excited about what's going on here. They were prolific actually early in this practice.
Speaker 4: The way I look at it is, we have seen a lot in the Washington, DC area, so we like to be patient and we like to pump our brakes on it. But I stopped looking and listening to the people in Washington. Now I start looking at the people around the country that has seen him play. And a guy today posted that, you know, this rookie is good, And at first I thought he was talking about the defensive back of Miami, but he's talking about Jade and Daniels.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: And when you have a guy who seems to have a control over it, you watch him on the sidelines and practice where after play he's talking to the veterans about what he expects and where he wants them and asking them questions. Normally, rookies, I don't care what position you're in, you wait for somebody to talk to you. He's initiating it. You know why, because he's there at five o'clock in the morning. He's doing all the things he needs to do to prepare himself. Hell, he has one job, being a quarterback of the Western Commandery, and he is taking full advantage of it. Unlike a lot of rookies, they come in worried about everything. No, no, no, he's taking this bull by the horn and he's running with it.
Speaker 1: You know, his personality matters too, Like he seems like a very humble guy, very relatable guy. And he's quiet. You know, he's not out there. He's not pushing himself out there. His agent's not pushing him out there, the team's not pushing him out there. He seems I don't want to speak for me. He seems fine with that. And you're seeing this to your point more and more. If these guys are going to rally around him and play for him, it's half the battle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's over half the battle. Yes, they have to believe in you first. Yes.
Speaker 4: Like I made a comment and it's kind of about the coach, John said. People always talk about all this coach can draw up this scheme, This coach can do this, he can motivate players.
Speaker 3: The whole thing about it. Can you get somebody to buy into what you're selling?
Speaker 4: And dan Quinn is walking in and this coach is staff they've gotten all their players to buy in. Well, Jayden Daniels, when you get a quarterback. What you have to realize is will guys following this person. And I think the thing I've seen with Jayden Daniels is like he doesn't act as if I'm bigger than everybody else.
Speaker 3: He's like, I'm just a part of the crew.
Speaker 4: And now when I and this is what I've done, I've talked more to defensive players about Jayden Danis that I did offensive players. They're with him in meetings all the time. The other guys are watching him on the field, and everyone to the point say he knows what he's doing. He throws the ball in the right bab he doesn't put the ball in harm's way, and he's a relatable guy.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's funny a week ago when he did the famous called out of a place and I wasn't supposed to do that, but he did, and then he smiles with the sideline. There was part of me that goes, you know, unlike Miami, who's going We're just going to practice what we do. You can't stop us, like we don't care. You'll get this vanilla stuff. I'm hoping in a couple of years that's how we are. With Cliff Kingsbury, he goes you know what, like, what.
Speaker 4: Do we need to everybody? Joe Gills running the con of train and they couldn't stop it. Bring it, you can't stop us to just do it. I'm hoping in a couple of years that's where we are. But there's just part of me that looks at what happened a week ago and why it was such a big deal, as if like Dan quinnin company don't want anybody to know that he's ahead of the curve, that there's a little bit of that where they're going. You know what, you don't need to show anybody that you know what. You know sometimes you can't stop that and not like what happened in that situation. I can remember what coach Gibbs and we did something in practice and he was like, what if we have to put you in that quarterback?
Speaker 3: What do we do? And I was already ahead because I didn't wait for us to start. I kept going ahead.
Speaker 4: Basically what Jayden Day has done and what he did in that game, he is already knowing what to do based off of what.
Speaker 2: Looks eve a glimpse that maybe they didn't want given it.
Speaker 4: They maybe didn't want it to hit but I guarantee you they sitting there going, well, damn, this guy is already that far advanced.
Speaker 3: You can't hide that. You know, you can sit up here and try to hide it.
Speaker 4: But you want him to be able to show you what everything he knows, because they are trying to give him a little bit at a time to see if he can understand and work out what they're doing. Well, if he's showing you he can handle it, you start putting more instead of having to come out in the first game and be a little bit more limited based off of what you think he knows. When he shows you can know more, you can throw more, and then that make it a better opportunity for you to win that football.
Speaker 1: I got to tell you, like, I think this team has gone out of its way to manage expectations differently than I've ever seen. Like, we're come on, we're like dying to have a franchise quarterback here. I've been waiting my whole life down a franchise quarterback here. I mean, this team didn't even really have one when they were winning Super Bowls. They had guys that came in and were played for other teams or had three years, but they're not Hall of famers, you know, like we've been waiting for this five to ten year run with this special player, and I don't know whether it's going to be this or not, but they have gone out of their way. And I thought what Dan Quinn said the other day when they when they kind of followed up with why are you so kind of not irked, but like, why are you making such a point of him changing that play? Don't you want him to do things like that? And he was basically like, we're not trying to set him up to be good right now. We're trying to set him up to be good for his career, and we're trying to take this in a process that works not only for us, but for him too. And I wonder if that restid.
Speaker 3: You know, it resonates because I liken it too.
Speaker 4: When I got here in Washington and when we got into the weight room, I was always the Olympic powerlift in college and I like to do more things, and then I did a lot of plyo stuff and d boy Dan rodd in a strength coach. She said, we don't set this workout thing for the guy that's in the best shape. We set it out for the guy that's in the least amount of shape. So basically what I get from dan Quinn is their practice is and their.
Speaker 3: Way of coming along is for the guy that know a little less.
Speaker 4: But we got this guy here who seem to know every damn thing before we want him to know it. But when you get somebody a special person like that, are you going to hinder him by holding him back?
Speaker 3: Are you're going to allow him to go out there and flourish and be who he really is.
Speaker 4: What he does, he makes your team get better, quicker, He makes other people work harder. So I think that's something they're gonna have to manage it in a proper way and not stifle it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the other thing too, and that really stands out about what's going on with him and why I think his personality fits here is this area and this fan base has always not necessarily flocked directly to stars, but to hard workers. They like people that put the effort in, like they don't need to be big star. Like we love Dart Monk, Yeah, love Daryl Green, we love you, we love the Hogs, we love the rigo out of big personality, right, but like huge, Yeah, we love these hard workers and you don't need to be some big superstar here for us to kind of fall love with the And this is what He's very humble, but everybody keeps saying he's putting in the work and he wouldn't be ahead of schedule if he wasn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's exactly right.
Speaker 4: Like for me, I'll look at the example always used with Alexrvshkin when you hear about how much Alex worked, and I'm like, okay, if the best player on your team works that hard, nobody else has an excuse as to why they need to.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: Now rolls in Jayden Daniels, a guy that comes in very nice personality, is not very boisous. W he I deserve all this, I want none of all. I'm just gonna put into work and see what happens. You think the other guys can ever sit up here and make a complaint or an excuse as to why they can't work harder when the guy who comes in, who probably can act a certain way, who doesn't, but he puts all the work in. I think when you can get those type of players in those parks, and let's flip it to Mikey Severn still okay. He's a guy on the other side of the ball who plays a position that cornerback, Nico or whatever you want to come. They are there some MEMI me type people, but the guy does everything you need to do to show others what to do.
Speaker 3: He's a leader. So when you get those guys on your team.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine those two guys standing around for seven ten years and they're working the way that they do and what the people follow them like they're doing.
Speaker 3: Now, what can happen with this team? Yeah?
Speaker 1: The other guy I want to talk to you about in the position group. I want to talk about a receiver. I think it's very much in question as we go into this game. I think there's a lot of interesting dynamics that are going on. But I want to start with Deanmi Brown for a minute, because he made the big catch last week and to this point of like guys who are putting effort in and are just waiting for opportunity, he's the epitome of it. Like this is year four. He hasn't had a lot of opportunity, but through the years, if you've paid attention, he is a willing participant. On special teams. He will go cover kicks, he will block on the outside. He hasn't gotten a lot of opportunity, and all of a sudden, I think you're seeing all of that kind of manifest here, and I think this staff sees it in him, which is why I think he's getting more and more and more opportunity.
Speaker 4: And I think what happens is sometimes guys come in and they overwhelm my some things.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying that that's how he was.
Speaker 4: That can happen with guys sometimes and you're trying to find your way.
Speaker 3: Let's be real.
Speaker 4: In college, when you're the top guy, you know what I mean, don't play special teams. The NFL is a totally different story. You get paid big money to play special team. And I think the IMI now where it's gone at light bulbs going on, where I'm in my fourth year now, and these people might believe in me a little more.
Speaker 3: I have to make plays.
Speaker 4: And I watched him catch balls in practice from every quarterback. He's running full speed down the field. Like you said, he's a willing to participant in special team. That shows a certain level of toughness that coaches may like to see. So he's getting his opportunity now and I'm happy for him so much. Okay, I'm happy because getting rewarded for this when it finally starts to come play. And I hear a lot of people on social media and all saying, well, he does it every.
Speaker 3: Year around this time in training camp.
Speaker 4: It seems a little different this year, and I'm thinking that he's ready to take that step in the football fair Only what people do is people always talking about contract years and things like that. I always tell them people normally around third year, year three four is when people really hit their stride.
Speaker 3: Yes, So maybe he's just hitting.
Speaker 4: This dride because contract year comes up normally that fourth or fifth year, and that's when guys only play better. Why not because they're in the contract year. Because now I have a comfortability to what I know what to do. I know what is expected of me, and I know how to get it.
Speaker 1: You can play harder, but you can't play better unless you know what you're doing. And I think that's where we are a little bit with him. I think it's kind of coming at the right time where the opportunities are coming. They're gonna profile Luke McCaffrey third round pick. They haven't seen a lot from him in camp. What do you think he needs to show this weekend?
Speaker 4: Well, I think the thing I noticed a little bit throughout campus. They want to they want they have an idea of him doing multiple things, and I think at this point he needs to just show that you could do one of them real good, and then the other stuff you know, you can learn it. It's gonna come along to you. Luke is a guy where I think they want to see him in the slot. They might probably want to see him in the backfield doing some things. When you come from a family like that, and if your brother name is Christian McCaffrey, don't I don't know what you can show not show, but they're gonna try to see if you.
Speaker 3: Can do some of the things he does. And you would think that because I was.
Speaker 4: I have four brothers, all my brothers, I tried to do something from them, and luckily God gave me enough ability to As I got older, I was betting all of them and everything.
Speaker 3: But I took something from.
Speaker 4: Everybody, you know, and I'm guaranteeing you Adam Peters when he drafted him, is expecting some of that Christian to Be and Luke, and they want to see whatevery. I think it's just squ out there, show that you know everything. That's just like yo yo yo, you know how to go out and do your techniques. She got you, got all the schemes down. But then if you get an opportunity to show the special part of you, he can pick them up and put them down.
Speaker 1: The family's everywhere. The oldest brother, Max is actually a coach on the Dolphins. He's an assistant here, so he'll be coaching tomorrow night against his brother, all right, So thatleads me to John Dotson. So here's McCaffrey. He's gonna get profiled. I think they want to see what he can do. We know who Terry is. They love the kiss, like you're seeing it more and more and more. And we talked about Tami. So where's Jahan fitting in all of this?
Speaker 4: To you, Johan Dotson, I'm gonna show you what he fits. What he was in his rookie season. Okay, he showed what he's capable of.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: Last year wasn't the year that he had in his rookie season, and there was some injuries here and there. What Jahan Dotson has to do now is go on the football field and do the things you did as a rookie to make people say that this guy is special. We got to get him a chance. I really believe that Johan is. The other guys have made these plays. He's on the football field too. Now he could go make those plays. So the ultimate thing is all you got to do is go out there and keep being who you are a lot of times people think you gotta become something else. No, he has to just go out and make the plays because they have a Listen, here's the first round grade, not just for Washington, for multiple teams out there. So all of these coaches understand he can play well, say, oh he was drafted to do high. No, so he was he to get drafted? What three spots lower? What are you talking about? He just has to go out there and play, you know. And that's all and the thing of it, it ain't nothing. I'm just saying. The coach is saying it. He's telling you the receivers that have come out and overly impressed. And if I'm in that receiver room and I hear him talking about Diami, I hear him talking about I mean Luke, I am talking about o Z. I'm going to say, well, I got to show something too. That's just the way I'm wired. And I think anybody that plays this game at this level to get to this point, you've had to overcome some stuff. You have to compete against the people, you have to fight some people to get to where you are. He just got to go back to where he was as a young kid where he wanted to prove stuff to people and be that guy.
Speaker 1: Okay, because like, and people are gonna have seen this because he did an interview after the practice again and I've seen this multiple times where he's done interviews or groups of reporters and he talks about his confidence. And I'm sitting there going your first round pick who had seven touchdowns as a rookie with frankly bad quarterbacking.
Speaker 2: Like, what what the thing? I confidence? What do you mean we're asking about your con You know you can do this?
Speaker 3: Like what are you talking about here? And then the thing about it?
Speaker 4: It's like I think people will have to understand a lot of things start based off a certain thing. Like when you start talking about your confidence, normally you lacking it. You don't feel like you're confidently comfortable in doing what you know you can do.
Speaker 1: I'm sitting here wanting to shake him, going, I know you're good, man, and see we all know you're good.
Speaker 3: If you're questioning yourself, just go out there and just let it go. Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know, I've had moments in my career where I had two fumos in early in the game. I go on the sideline and I was like, man, I don't know what's going on, dude Staill and say, boy, being who you are.
Speaker 3: The next pub time, I went fifty something yards.
Speaker 4: Sometimes we just got to get out of our own way and just let things react instead of overthinking it all.
Speaker 1: Right, overall, anything else stayed out to you that you want to see against the Dolphins this weekend, I want.
Speaker 3: To keep saying the effort. I'm want to keep saying the speed.
Speaker 4: And then again, you know, I don't know exactly how long Jayden is gonna play, but I want to see how the offensive line is going to work. When I look at the phys because for me, everybody else is looking at Jayden, they're looking at Johann, they're looking at the Mikey. I'm really looking at the old line. D line that leads your football team. I want to see how these guys are gonna go out here and dominate offensive line. My best wall watching the game is from the side of the field and watching the line of scrimmage. And I want to see who's gonna be getting knocked back. And I damn sure hope it's not gonna be anybody in Burger and Gold.
Speaker 1: And I think defensively, I mean, I don't think anybody quote unquote game plans here, but I could see where Dan Quinn and Joe Witt need to have a discussion with their unit. These guys are going to show what they do. They're they're gonna put Tua out there, They're gonna put people in motion, They're gonna have a track team run around out there. This is one of those times where it might be I don't know that we're game planning, but we want to see how you guys react, because this is execution in the NFL at its finest currently and they're not scared to do it in the preseason.
Speaker 2: Let's see how you react to it.
Speaker 4: As I said today, I think Washington looked like they belonged. Okay, And I say this, everyone look at it and they act like Tyreek Hill, Oh, he just got Washington. Last year, Tyrek Hill had almost eighteen hundred yards receiving, so he got everybody.
Speaker 3: Okay, the dude played seventeen games. He had seventeen hundred ninety.
Speaker 4: Nine yards, So that lets you know how good he is. I think you go into this game and you play. He may get you sometimes, but if the overall game is where you held him in check and you handled your own, that's all you need to see. Because basically last year a lot of teams proved that you can't stop it.
Speaker 2: So we'll see.
Speaker 1: They were by far the best offense. Devin ah Chan had the best per rust average NFL history with at least one hundred carries in a season seven point three. They were the best per rush average. Like people think about the throwing down the field, hill and all stuff. They were the best rush team in the NFL a year ago. They are execution at its finest right now in the McDaniel gets a lot of credit for this, and they have very good personnel, but this is execution at its finest.
Speaker 2: This is an incredible test.
Speaker 4: When you have receivers that run like that and look that running back room might be able to keep it up with those receivers.
Speaker 3: Yes, So when you.
Speaker 1: Have that type rookie that they got out of Tennessee who's like a tick behind Chan, they've got another speed running back.
Speaker 4: When you have that type of speed on your team, you can confuse and have a lot of people messing up because what you're trying to do. You know how fast they are naturally, so you like thinking, I can't let them get behind me.
Speaker 3: Do you bail too soon and leave you a lot of space? You know? So they have to really know what they're doing. And I think the way you.
Speaker 4: Stop the speed just straw them up front with the big guys and get to the quarterback.
Speaker 3: That's Bee slows.
Speaker 1: Down real quick and we'll say, all right, Brian, thank you so much, appreciate having this with you. You can watch Brian with Chickernandez and Brian Colbert Junior on the preseason broadcast on WUSA locally, and you can hear me Logan and London on the call of the game. Dolphins Commanders, thanks for joining us for the special edition of Booth Review.