Speaker 1: Now here's a highlight from Coast to Coast AM on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to Coast to Coast George Norrie with you. Bob Davis back with us. Internationally known and recognized research scientist and author, and after receiving his doctorate degree back in nineteen eighty one, he conducted research, taught, and was an administrator for the State University of New York for more than thirty years. Bob has spoken about his research on the effects of environmental and toxic stimuli in the brain and sensory systems and venues that vary from national and international scientific conferences. He has written three books, The UFO Phenomenon, Should I Believe? Life After Death? And his recent book Unseen Forces The Integration of Science Reality A new serves as the basis for the documentary The Consciousness Connection. Bob, welcome back.
Speaker 3: It's a pleasure to be with you, George. I think this is a third time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, And I was reading your Edge Science article on spiritually transformative experiences. We'll talk about that tonight. But great article, well done, well.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Is science beginning to notice these strange things.
Speaker 3: Well, eventually and they have, but unfortunately it's just too limited in nature. Too few scientists are actually being engaged in understanding what these transformative experiences are that results from multi states of consciousness is complex, per sexual attributes, full of significance and importance to the person. What we call mistical extraordinary experiences that come in all varying shapes and sights. It's a myriad of forms which we'll talk about that have great meaning to the person. Is lacking in our science. We don't put the subjective interpretation, the essence of what it means to the person on the experience and apply it in terms of what theories may exist, which we don't, and that's the problem. We don't have the scientific principles that under Newtonian physics that can easily be adapted methodologically, theoretically, clinically. We better understand essentially what these people are going through, the transformative outcomes it has on them, and the essence of the triggers that give rise to them, like near debt and not a body experiences, the up phenomenon, even culine awakenings, meditation. Number of things that in both these kinds of experial experiences are being all receiving some attention, no question, among acneditions, more now than ever before, but it's still pales in comparison to what we really need in terms of a multidisciplinary effort. Of course, many scientists, scholars, and nonscience as experiences especially, so we better understand their reports. What was it about their experience itself in terms of its themes? It's content, it's the messages received, uh, the essence of it? What did it do to them? What impression has it has? And how it had to transformed them in many philosophical ways in terms of the personal belief systems in every way she can conform.
Speaker 2: Who coined the phrase spiritually transformative experience? Where did that come from?
Speaker 3: Ivankasan? I don't know, if you have to as a guess someone, I don't think the Evanka Son's a physician who've had neo depth experiences probline awakening. She's a founder of the Spiritually Awakening Institute. UH, and she turned between terms to coin terms spiritually transformative experiences or stes, which essentially is is the same term as what Abraham aslom Walter of STACE not as psychologists who call these kinds of mystical experiences peak experiences. The design changed it a little bit and called it s these spiritus sort of experience. I don't like that term, but essentially we're talking about a sense of unity between the person's inner self and they're out of self. They have a strong positive emotions. They transcend space and time and say we caught the objective, the objectivity, the reality of their insights are beyond real, like the back of their hands. And they can't describe it using language. It's ineffable. And that's what's lacking a scientific understanding, psychological linguistic We don't have the language linguistic terms to use the best describe the experience itself. But what we note, and we'll talk about this good detail, is that they are transformed in a very positive way over time, not in all cases, and it often comes at a cost. But we call these stes. Next year we may call it by a different term.
Speaker 2: Well, look how they've changed the UFO word to up the same thing, same thing. What are the various traits to create the STE experience?
Speaker 3: There are different transient states of reality that results from the stes, and they take a variety of forms and perceptions from non earthly environments and includes non human intelligences. And when I say that that we're talking about deities, to the grays, to everything in between. But they believe with a sense of certainty typical of any perceptent they have during their everyday life, that these experiences upon the real and the ups. Of course, it's just one type of trigger where people who've caught these physical sensations the sense of being mobilized. We know all about it, that hate could be overly redondant choice. I'm sure the vast majority of not all, of the audience has hurted over the details of these kinds of interactions, both physically and non physically. In fact, when I was a member of the Doctor in the Mitchell Foundation, we found that the vast majority of the individuals who interact with the uIP have non physical interactions or telepathic consciousness like the interactions. And the point is this is a type of trigger because it does cause many of these kinds of peak experienced symptoms I alluded to earlier. The other, obviously is in their death experience. People have that experience of that tunnel of life, the interaction with the supreme beings fell up this life review, et cetera. And the out body experience, which of course is part of the NDE, but it can be it can occur in the absence of the nd as people report, and that will result in usually the visual a matter of sensory perceptions, the sense that their mind is interacting with something else or being independent of the body, which of course can be quite horrific initially until they adapt to it might and that's true for all of these ST triggers. Another type is the ingestion of psychoactive drugs that you talk about. Science Now, scientists are getting very much more heavily involvement in the search of psychoactive drugs and looking at it in terms of creating the alto state of consciousness and the trans personal effects that it has on the person. And we're all aware of its benefits potential benefits in terms of PTSD treatment, addiction treatment, et cetera. But we're also seeing it in terms of psychological benefits as well, and we see that with most of these too, same as true with Kundling awakenings. Another trigger where people will have experience these sensations of heat energy rising or shooting up in their body, typically in and around the spine. The term chakra of course comes to mind, and that whole dynamic. But they have this that these feelings of bliss painly in their body, involuntary movements, and these these are just a few of the kinds of triggers, and there are more like human traumatic events can can start peak experiences with the ease, prayer, sensory isolation, among other things. So in my paper Georgia you mentioned, I talked about the more common ones as I just alluded to.
Speaker 2: What has been from your peers, the kind of reaction to these thoughts.
Speaker 3: They're becoming more much more open minded, I think than ever before.
Speaker 2: More acceptable, more acceptable.
Speaker 3: Oh, without without question, you know most it was just a survey done for instance on up it's just published one of four professors believe that USO's UAPs or et in nature. And you know what, if we people started to actually come down to a closet and and share their their personal view points openly, I think we would be amazed at the at the strong beliefs that people have and what we considered as anomalous experiences, which I guess go under the umbrella of these spirituity transformat experiences. But there was a Gallup poll back in three approximately eighty million Americans at that time reported to have had a spiritual transformative experience. It is and it's probably under reported too. And over those millions, many of course are in spiritual crisis spiritual emergency as the terms coined on the psychologic community. We'll talk about this further. Has has is not educated in terms of how to evaluate people who are truly going through an identity crisis, with questions of what happened to me? Why me? What does it mean? What do I do? Who do I tell? After these kinds of experiences, So they lived in silence, and they try to seek their own self meditative, you know, or more meditative or stress reduction, rude, whatever works for them. Sometimes it's in the form of good or bad practices in order to deal with the anxiety that is obviously provoked from these experiences. It makes such sense to them's anatological shock. Their concept in other words, of reality is shattered. What they thought was real before their ste is no longer real now they agnostics believe in a supreme being. The people who respond scientists now believe in alternate realities, you know. Jeff Kreipel historian philosophy. They wrote a book not long ago about important scientists who had spiritual transformative experiences who flipped who flipped being.
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, in varying ways. Either they like Eben Alexander neurosurgeon, had a neared experience and what he gave up his practice. He's now talking about neared up experiences, meditative practices, higher consciousness and all that. But he's not alone. Regardless of who you are, it doesn't matter you now see, according to them who have this experience, they see the truth, but they do go through this this anthological shock. Now I have to make sense with the new reality. In other words, is what they say. But that leads that oncological shock leads to these kinds of eager dissolution events that people report where they are no longer as much as sumpatable of they once work. We all have that ego we were impeded by our brainless ways to our brain. We all have our faults, and we all are egoic. Unfortunate, you know, unfortunately too many people are too egoic, and that can be a detrimental to those around her, but as well as well as oneself. But the point is that become more humane, George. Overall, they we see these positive trans personal outcomes that manifest in so many different ways that I'm sure your audiences as well as are familiar with less materialism, more spiritual, more compassionate, sympathetic, everything we'd want to be. It seemed to become more of in terms in a positive way. Uh, and and that's beautiful. I've met many people who have gone through these kinds of transformations resulting from an ste you know, they they report this unifying antconnectedness or cosmic consciousness, have no idea. Well, I have an idea in a way what that means because I had a coneline experience. But we usually put these terms to the experience that really goes nowhere in terms of what it implies consciousness. Yeah, come on, what are you talking about here? Well, it could be something to it. I don't mean to downplay it, but for the lack of definition, and that's what again is lacking now as scientific community, we don't have a criteria to actively define much of what we're talking about here, and we need to with great precision in order to better develop theories and methods to study it more. How do we measure for instance, are kinds of symptoms people have when they have these sees. They say, I'm in a timeless environment. I have hallucinations. Well I have an idea what that is. But they experienced spirit possession with channeling, they interacting non human intelligence. But all the other about experience and that experience, I mean, what do we do with that? You know, I'm talking to a person who had an see and he said I had an expansive settle of sense. I think it was that that That's that somehow the wall between me and the world had come down. It's like a breakdown of the boundary of what they had normally thing for themselves. You know, they feel this intransic unity of all the interdependency of everything. They they feel they understand everything, everything is supposed to be of that part of the plants, the sun, the ground. What is that all about? Why? And they see that In experiments done on psycholactic drugs by John Hopkins University, remarkable o research coming out out there there in terms of d MP di'mical trip to me the act to be green into niahl Oscar and a lot of scientists are looking at d MT as possibly a good control mechanism or a way to induce a spirituy transformative experience and then study it because because you can control it in a laboratory setting, you can't control an NDE. It doesn't occur spontaneously, right, and I'm not going to be a subject for that, or an OBE or UAP can only et cetera. And that's why scientists, getting back to your early question, Georgian was a good one. That's why a lot of scientists a it's all becoming more interested in these kinds of experiences, especially with respects to cycle back the effects for medicinal purposes in value, as well as as understanding yesence of consciousness. Potentially even silicon valities getting involved with d MP, believe it or not. So there's a long way to go to it's understanding what let alone with the brain is all about, but certainly what consciousness is.
Speaker 2: What's amazing, Bob, is that the ancients knew about this way before anybody, and they were right.
Speaker 3: To a large extent. And and you know, we often search for answers in folklore and the Bible and other various texts, and and we do come across this type of information which is difficult to interpret very metaphorical in nature. But you can make a case that they are right, because what we see is that this increase in spirituality is something that was lost as a going in Copernican Luttonian age that divide between spiritual and beliefs and just widened as as our scientific evolution took off, and we've lost that sense of spirituality and there's a lot of truth there. We we find the type of truth seekers that we used to be, and that's very unfortunate. And what's interesting is that these stes make people more ecologically sensitive, bring them in greater connection to their environment, to all forms of life, to the extent where they never worked about it extreme before their ste But yes, those of the past do seem to know a great deal. In fact, George, one of the best interviews I've ever heard about u aps and spirits were from and I forget the gentleman's name. He's ahead of a tribe in southwest Arizona. I'm sure you never I'm referring to. But he talks about the phenomena as spirits interacting with us good both that brings up notions of skinwalker ranch, et cetera. Is there truth to that, and very well can be, but you can't denounce it. And science unfortunately can objectively quantify it, but only qualify it through anecdotal evidence. And that's true of all of what we're talking about, primarily anecdotal subjective evidence, and that unfortunately doesn't carry a great deal of weight in our under Newtonian tritics, which we need sorely, but it is not able to is not designed to address the issues that we are dealing with, which is why we do need that paradigm shift.
Speaker 1: Listen to more Coast to Coast AM every weeknight at one a m. Eastern and go to Coast to coastam dot com for more