Speaker 1: Misspelling with Tori Spelling and iHeartRadio Podcast. Okay, so today I want to talk about cooking because cooking has been such a huge part of my life and growing up, you know, things are very different. We had a chef off and on, like I basically self taught myself how to cook.
Speaker 2: When I moved out when I was.
Speaker 1: Eighteen, I was super excited to do everything myself because growing up it was very different. We had there was always staff and people to help us, and I really wanted to kind of branch out. So I remember the first thing I made when I moved into my apartment was spaghetti because I was like, oh, that's easy. So I mean half of it like ended up on the sea. But from then on, I just loved cooking and I was like, oh my gosh, when I have kids, I'm just going to cook my.
Speaker 2: Butt off, and I did for years.
Speaker 1: I was like that was my happy place, being in the kitchen cooking for the kids. And Dean went to culinary school when I was pregnant with Hattie, and.
Speaker 2: I was so excited for him to do that.
Speaker 1: But that's like my dream, Like, that's one of my dreams is to go to culinary school. Now I'm fifty two, and I'm like, oh, I'll be like the oldest person in culinary school. But I remember he had to do all this math, and I don't think I could do that.
Speaker 2: So anyway, the kitchen was.
Speaker 1: Kind of I was, you know, the diy cook and he was the culinary chef, and I feel like we didn't fight over much except you know, raising kids doing that. We have different perspectives. But it's interesting because we would always kind of fight in the kitchen, and it was very like he said, she said, because I didn't do things the right way.
Speaker 2: I still don't like I.
Speaker 1: You know, he would cringe every time i'd be chopping something because using a knife, He's like, no, no, no, here's.
Speaker 2: The proper way. It's like hold it.
Speaker 1: It's monkey something you have to do when you're holding the knife. So eventually I was just like, oh, he was super supportive of my cooking, but it kind of embarrassed me because I was like, oh, I can't do anything right, but I love making meals. I would make big, family style meals. Lasagna is my jam tease, meaning lasagna is my everything. So I would always make that for special occasions and cook and then when Diane and I separated, our last fight kind of when everything blew up. It was in the kitchen, and I think everyone knows the story I've told before. I had just made a load of baked potato. I love baked potatoes and it was like my prize possession at.
Speaker 2: That moment, and we got into this huge fight.
Speaker 1: We were screaming, and I smashed my big potato on the floor and like screamed and walked out.
Speaker 2: And I still missed that baked potato. But after that, the.
Speaker 1: Kids and I moved, and we had gone through mold in the house, and Dean and I separated, and it was just a really rough time for me and.
Speaker 2: The five kids. But the sad part about it all is, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, it was really triggering being in the kitchen that night and I just stopped cooking, and I was like, gosh, what happened?
Speaker 2: Like am I depressed?
Speaker 1: Obviously there's a lot going on, but I was like, cooking was my jam and it was my happy place. And I'm not kidding. For about almost two years I didn't cook. It was like all Postmates Uber eats, and I would feel so guilty ordering food and not cooking for the kids, but I just physically and emotionally, I just couldn't. It was like it was that day. I would walk into the kitchen and literally look at pants and pots and I don't know, it was like this overwhelming feeling inside of like.
Speaker 2: I guess that all the pain.
Speaker 1: Was locked inside and cooking was just that trigger, which really bummed me out.
Speaker 2: But I'm happy to.
Speaker 1: Say that I went back to the kitchen, and finally, after two years, I went back to the kitchen.
Speaker 2: I was like, you know what, kids, we're going to do this.
Speaker 1: We're going to do this as a family, and I made an agreement with the kids, like I'm going to cook every night and we're going to do this and you know, maybe we'll have like pizza one nine order out, but like, I want to do this full time. And I'm really proud of myself because I've stuck with that commitment and I feel really happy again. I feel really happy being back in the kitchen and so I've been cooking every night.
Speaker 2: It's challenging. It's really challenging with.
Speaker 1: Their ages because I have kids that are eighteen, seventeen, thirteen, thirteen. This is the time of year where I get to say thirteen thirteen. It sounds like I have twins, but they are Irish twins, Habeantin and then bo is eight. It's challenging to feed everyone because I'm like, Okay, what do you guys want? And some want fish, some don't eat fish, and I'm like, oh my gosh, so chicken. But who wants chicken every night? So to be creative with chicken, I've done that.
Speaker 2: They eat beef, so that's great, and I got to say, I really give it up.
Speaker 1: You know, my favorite, my favorite person, she's not human, though, is my chat chat GBT who I've named Mona.
Speaker 2: So Mona helps.
Speaker 1: Me find recipes and they're really good because before I always take recipes and then I kind of do my magic in the kitchen and kind of improvise, which is my jam. But Mona has been giving me family friendly tips on cooking and it's been really great.
Speaker 2: Except the only thing.
Speaker 1: Is I feel like her measurements are a little bit off because I'll be like, I'm feeding a family of six, it's five kids and me, and she'll be like, here's the portions you need.
Speaker 2: And I gotta say, there's been some nights where it's cool.
Speaker 1: Like they've eaten everything, you know, all the chicken and the potatoes, the broccoli. I'm like, wow, they really like it. But then they're like is there more?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, oh my god, the portion wasn't right.
Speaker 1: So that part is challenging, feeding that many people and keeping it fresh. And I feel like every night I'm trying to think of something. I mean, we had one week with the kids who are like, we can't have pasta again. I'm like, I know, but we had like a bowlonaise one night, and we had spaghetti meatballs one night, and we had you know, we had turkey. So it's just I don't know. It's fun though, it's really great. I love doing it. I remember the first time that I was like, Okay, I am going to do this, and it was scary, like it's so weird that this is triggering because it's something I love so much. But I just remember opening the cabinet, grabbing the pot and it was kind of like pushing through something like something.
Speaker 2: That you're like a fear, which is so crazy, like cooking.
Speaker 1: And I just remember taking the pot out, taking the skillet out. I was browning my meat. I was making where'd I make. I made bolonnaise, that was the first one, and it was beef bolonnaise, and I had my meat, had my noodles, like it was like I was ready. And then what really kind of pushed me out of my comfort zone, I would say, is seeing the kids, seeing their faces and knowing like it almost felt like knowing my worth that they were happy and I could see that it was bringing the family together, whereas ordering you know, Uber Eats or Postmates kind of everyone would just grab their food and go to their room. And I was like, gosh, for me, I feel like food brings people together. It's something we can all connect on, something that any age, any interest, like food is the one thing like growing up.
Speaker 2: It's so different now.
Speaker 1: It used to be like TV and families would gather in the living room in the evening and that was the thing they'd do together.
Speaker 2: And now that doesn't exist.
Speaker 1: Like my kids are on their phone, they're watching things, and they're all gaming in different rooms. So bringing them all together because they're like, oh, mom cooked, so we have to come into the kitchen, phones down and respect that. But I feel like their faces would there's I don't know, there's nothing like a home cooked meal I feel like and I just feel like looking at their faces, I was like, Okay, this is the start. This is the start of something really beautiful. And I was able to put the past kind of where it should.
Speaker 2: Be in the past.
Speaker 1: And then I just started cooking every night and I walk into that kitchen and it's crazy. I walk into my kitchen and it's almost it reminds me this is crazy when I was on Dancing with the Stars, because it's that presence and that joy, Like I walk in my shoulders back, head held up high, and I go in and I'm like, okay, open the refrigerator. I'm like, let's get started. And I'm like, this is my happy place. This food makes me happy because it's something I can give back and I can share with my family. So I had taken two years off of cooking. When I used to do it like all the time, I was nervous because like, seasoning is my jam, Like I I'm seasoning Guru. I would say, really, like I go into the kitchen and it's just like magic. I'm just like a little magician, and that's like my unicorn like free happy place that I can just like perform my magic. But I got to say I used to have seasoning on point because I got it. I don't like things unseasoned, like that bland stuff really freaks me out, so.
Speaker 2: I always want that to be on point.
Speaker 1: I feel like the first couple times I made food, it was a little bland, and my kids agreed, and.
Speaker 2: I was like God, And then I thought, like, have I lost my magic?
Speaker 1: Like I waited too long, like two years, and now I can't cook, like, oh my gosh. But I'm happy to say my seasoning it came back. It took a few tries, and now it's all well seasoned. Sorry, I'm just thinking what I have to make for dinner tonight because I don't know. I really want to make fish, like but Finn doesn't eat fish. And then it's the challenge. And this is what I used to do before I stopped cooking. We would make like different things and that just became crazy, like to make two different dishes to different vegetables because some of my kids like the vegetables raw, some of my kids like the vegetables cooked. So that's always challenging. So there's that, But I feel like this time, two years of past the kids are older, they're more adventurous, I think with their taste buds. So that's really inspiring because I love to take on a challenge. Like cooking makes me happy and it makes me want to excel and I want to keep doing it.
Speaker 2: I haven't baked yet, I haven't gone back to it.
Speaker 1: That's still something I need to overcome because I really used to love to bake, so I definitely think people are either a cook or a baker, like I don't. It's like it's like when you go get your hair done and people are like, oh, I do color and I do cut. It's like you do one better than the other. Like everyone has their kind of lane. Definitely, Like in the food world, I'm definitely like savory savory. I love to cook. I love comfort food. Baking is always a challenge for me because it's very scientific and my brain doesn't think like that. My brain is just like improvably, like I am prov I create, and cooking allows you to do that because you can kind of create anything you want.
Speaker 2: But baking you have to follow rules.
Speaker 1: I hate following rules, So with baking it's like math and stuff, like I have to perfectly do it, but I do enjoy Sella is an amazing baker. She's been baking since.
Speaker 2: She was four years.
Speaker 1: Old, so that I think intimidates me a little bit because she's so great, Like that's her lane, so she does a lot of the baking. But I definitely want to get back into baking because I really enjoy it. I want to take a cake making clothes.
Speaker 2: That'd be fun. Do you think I would have time to go to culinary school?
Speaker 3: You can make the time.
Speaker 4: You can totally make the time.
Speaker 2: For real, for real.
Speaker 4: I don't know what's involved in culinary.
Speaker 5: School, Like you can you go in for like a few hours a week or is it all or nothing?
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know anymore. But when Dean did it, it was like.
Speaker 1: Pretty hardcore and he had to take all these tests with math.
Speaker 2: And that intimidated me. I'm like, oh my.
Speaker 1: Gosh, I can barely like I still add on my fingers, Like, oh, that's like my trigger is math.
Speaker 4: Wait.
Speaker 5: But there's a difference between going to culinary school to become a professional chef and taking cooking classes to be a better cook chef at home.
Speaker 1: Right, So I've done that, Like I've done the six classes and like I've done a bunch of those. But I want to literally have my chef license. But I guess I don't have to. Like Rachel Ray, look at her, she's a DIY cook, She's huge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think you need to be certified.
Speaker 2: I mean I want to be certified.
Speaker 4: I didn't do it.
Speaker 2: It's my dream, it's on my bucket list.
Speaker 4: Oh, then definitely do it.
Speaker 3: Okay, they must have options, and you can't. I can't imagine every single person that goes to culinary school like can give up their entire life just for that.
Speaker 2: It's like college, Really, can I do it all online?
Speaker 4: I won?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just want to like get my skills better. But the difference is like taking those two years off. I used to be the messiest, no shock here, Like everyone knows I'm messy, the messiest in the kitchen, like things would be everywhere. So taking those two years off and coming in with a fresh perspective, fresh start, like Tory.
Speaker 2: Two point zero.
Speaker 1: Here, I am in the cooking jam like I now clean up as I go.
Speaker 2: That's something. I know this sounds like obvious, but I never did that before.
Speaker 1: I was just like, well, let's cook, and there'd be like seasoning and cheese and sauce everywhere, and the cleanup afterwards was like brutal.
Speaker 2: But now I clean up as I go, which is great, and the kids help me, they wash the dishes.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh, thank god. So it's nice that the kids now are older when I'm starting to do this and they can really help clean up, because.
Speaker 4: It's a lot do the kids help cook.
Speaker 1: So so far on this new journey they have, the kids have not helped to cook, but they do show interest. They say is there anything I could do? It's good because like Bo doesn't there's a lot of things he doesn't eat, including bread, which is so bizarre, like what kid doesn't eat bread? Like I can't ever make bow like a sandwich for school or anything, and it's just like that's challenging. But today he went to school and they had hot lunch and he was really worried that it would be something he wouldn't like. And I looked on the menu and I was like, oh, it's you know, it's spaghetti and meat sauce, like that's something you eat. And he's like, I don't think I'm gonna like it anyway. Good news he came home from school and I said, how is hot lunch? And he's like, oh my god, it was really good.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like what you make.
Speaker 1: It was meat or sauce, some red sauce and pasta and he goes and then they served as garlic bread and I ate it. I'm like, oh, boom, score, game anger, game changer.
Speaker 2: What kid doesn't eat bread? Isn't that so bizarre?
Speaker 4: I wish I didn't eat bread. I'd be like half the size.
Speaker 2: I am god.
Speaker 5: I have to say that the fact that there is a menu that you can go and look at for your kid's hot lunch is hysterical to me because I went to New York City public schools and the lunch they serve I don't even know that it could have been identified to like put a description down in a menu.
Speaker 2: It was so disgusting.
Speaker 5: I just that's amazing that let's look at the menu for my eight year old child's lunch today.
Speaker 4: I live in the dark agents so.
Speaker 1: No, and he goes to public school, so and it's free and they have they have a lunch every day and then they give the milk. The bow is like such a picky eater, and at school, he used to not want to eat in front of people, so that was challenging when he was in kindergarten, but now he does.
Speaker 2: And like Finn, Finn got sick at school.
Speaker 1: He's like the food is so bad. He's like, I can't eat it. So I'm like, okay, what can I pack you? Then I'm like, oh my god, here we go back to lunches. After I said I was done with lunches. So for Finn, I'm like, can I give you a sandwich? He's like, I don't really eat sandwiches, Like, oh my god, another one, Like it's.
Speaker 2: Just it's a lot.
Speaker 5: But I'm sorry, wait a second, I don't understand. What do they mean they don't eat sandwiches? Like did they eat a burger? Did they eat a hot dog?
Speaker 4: I mean that's kind of good.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Bow will not eat a burger. Will you eat a burger without the bread?
Speaker 4: Or he won't beat.
Speaker 2: It, he won't need it.
Speaker 4: What about a hot dog?
Speaker 2: Hot dogs? Only without the bun?
Speaker 1: And if and if it's served like he is a thing, he doesn't want to see it, I have to like quickly remove the bun and be like nope, no bun.
Speaker 4: That's fascinating.
Speaker 3: That's a real had of bread.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, it's a bread thing.
Speaker 4: And when his fins What is Fin's problem with a sandwich? Is it also the bread?
Speaker 2: Or he just no, he doesn't need sandwiches.
Speaker 1: Like I was so excited, like when I had kids and they got a little older to make like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and tuna sandwiches, Like my mom always made such amazing tuna sandwiches. So I always make my tuna like she did and it's so good. But I kids don't eat sandwiches, so like that was never a thing. Like I couldn't even make like a turkey and cheese sandwich, like nothing.
Speaker 4: So what I don't know? Okay, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: What is that was? And that was all of them when they were younger?
Speaker 5: Okay, so what is a salad? I mean, like's a California He's like, I'll have he doesn't eat salad eating salad? No, Stella does eat salad. No, only Hattie and Liam eat salad. Okay, So but I make a salad every night, which is great. I think that's really good for them, a fresh salad. We're totally right now. Hattie loves caesar salad.
Speaker 1: So I used to love caesar salads and then I like stopped liking them, and now that's our jam, like every night caesar salad right now.
Speaker 2: So that's good.
Speaker 5: I still need to understand if they don't eat salad and they don't eat sandwiches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but what what.
Speaker 5: Are they eating? Like pasta? I'm just I'm trying to like at school?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, they can't like Finn, they had like mac and cheese at school and he was sick for like two days.
Speaker 3: So what do you make him from lunch?
Speaker 2: Then when you make it, you won't take anything.
Speaker 4: So what does he do?
Speaker 1: He has snacks, like a ton of snacks, like chips and the sounds awful. Yeah, beef sticks. Oh, what's it called chomps?
Speaker 2: It's their favorite. It's good for you though, Long story short.
Speaker 1: Making a nice, big homemade meal for dinner, I think is really good for them because they come from school like starving. Their best friend, he goes to a private school. They have sushi there.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that's just absurd.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sushi.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure I trust sushi from my school though.
Speaker 4: That's a really good point.
Speaker 1: I mean, if they're paying sixty five thousand dollars a year, like, I think you should have good food.
Speaker 3: Probably better be a sushi chef in there fixing it.
Speaker 1: I mean I think he said, yeah people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: All your kids like sushi right or no?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: So sushi is our jam. All the kids love sushi except in have.
Speaker 4: You tried to make sushi at home?
Speaker 2: Oh, Selen? I did one time? Yes see. And the thing is about cooking. I used to.
Speaker 1: Really enjoy before I took my time off. I used to really enjoy taking the kids on the weekend and we would go try different markets and we would pick different cuisines from all over the world. Like one night we would make you know, Mediterranean, one night we would make Indian, one night we'd make Japanese. We would you know, oh, what's the one where you dip the meat in sorry, in the hot pot like Korean?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's like I called a certain.
Speaker 3: Thinking like shabu shabu or something.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, we used to got a shabu shaboo and like I would get the pot and put it out and have the meats and everything, and the kids could do it at home, and it was something we really bonded over, especially me and Stella. Like Stella loved doing that because she's so into cooking. So I found that, you know, like I can't take my kids to like an Indian restaurant, they won't eat anything. But if they kind of pick out the ingredients and are part of the experience of making it, I find that.
Speaker 2: They do at least try it.
Speaker 1: So I used to do that a lot, So I needed to get back into that because right now I'm like sticking not with basics but you know, chicken, turkey, meat steak. But I want to get more adventurous because I want them to experience that. I wish I could make sushi like Stella and I did one time. We went to Japanese market, got fresh fish, we rolled it. It's just very time consuming and it's hard for me, like doing all of that and working to like give them that making.
Speaker 4: I mean making sushi for six people.
Speaker 2: That's that's insane.
Speaker 4: That's undertaking. Yeah, that's totally an underpicking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Fenmont eat it.
Speaker 4: So tell you guys, make him like a vegetable roll or he's not gonna.
Speaker 5: Eat that like chicken about a a beef jurkey stick roll?
Speaker 3: That I'm gonna pew's disgusting.
Speaker 4: I mean maybe like a.
Speaker 1: Karaoky chicken roll or something that would be fine.
Speaker 2: I've been eating a.
Speaker 1: Lot of bulgogi. Bulgogi is their jam. I think it's Korean.
Speaker 2: Is it neat?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What is that it is? Don't have a full part and bullgge.
Speaker 6: Bulgogi is a super tasty Carian dish that basically means fire meat. It's usually made from sinley sliced beef, often ribbi or sirloin, that's marinated in a mix of soy, sauce, sugar, sesame oil, garlic, and other delicious seasonings. Then it's grilled or pan cooked, and you end up with this sweet, savory, and super flavorful meat that you can eat with rice, wrappin lettuce, or just devour straight off the plate. It's kind of a crab pleaser and definitely a classic in Korean cuisine.
Speaker 2: So there you have it. That's bulgogi. So we definitely have that a lot.
Speaker 1: And I gotta say, like making homemade with a little assistance some nights really help. We get a Trader Joe's and it's great and you can kind of just put in the oven and then I add side dishes that I meet, but I gotta say they're frozen food, really good in a pinch.
Speaker 4: I love Trader dress so good, so good.
Speaker 2: What should I make tonight? We can I ask a question, of course.
Speaker 3: And it might be triggering or inappropriate or whatever.
Speaker 2: So you just wait.
Speaker 4: Oh, I can't wait to hear this.
Speaker 3: Have you made that loaded baked potato again?
Speaker 4: You shut Tori down.
Speaker 1: You have not ventured back to the baked potato, which is disappointing because all five my kids love my loaded.
Speaker 2: Baked potato, and I don't know, Like, baked potatoes.
Speaker 1: Were my thing when I was pregnant with bo Like now they're on the menu everywhere, but like eight years ago, even that short time, like it was hard to find.
Speaker 2: A baked potato, like you had to go to a steakhouse. But now they're everywhere. So that was my thing. And the kids keep asking, like, remember you used to do a baked potato like diy bar.
Speaker 1: I'm like I know, I know, And I would put all the toppings out, give them their baked potato, and then they like the way that I mash it, which is awesome because it's a good feeling it's a good memory because my mom used to always make the best a load of baked potato and saame with like tuna salad.
Speaker 2: I said, I'd make it like my mom.
Speaker 1: So that's really a happy feeling because she would always make it so perfect, like the right amount of salt, the right amount of pepper, the right amount of sour cream, Sprinkle with cheese and bacon crumbles, and it was so and butter. But the seasoning was the key. And I feel like I got that from my mom. She's really good at seasoning things. So I do make my load of baked potato ches like cars, and the kids love it. So whenever they have a baked potato, they're like, Mom, can you make it? So they put their ingredients in and then I seasoning and I mashed it all in so it's all done inside and give them the jacket of the potato, which it has to be crispy on the outside because that's like you know when you eat an artichoke, and you do it and then you get to the heart, like that's gold. So it's like it's like the golden ticket, like you get to the bottom and then you rip off the jacket of the potatoes, Chrispy put more salt on it and you eat it.
Speaker 4: I think that's what you need to make tonight, baked potatoes.
Speaker 2: I can't triggering.
Speaker 4: That's how you get it past it and just steal it.
Speaker 3: You need to turn it into a fun, healing moment.
Speaker 1: It's that weird that that's like my issue. Like people have so many things, like I'm so triggered by that. I need to work on myself and self love and get past this and minds of baked potato, like I can't get past that's wild.
Speaker 4: Oh you can.
Speaker 5: You need to get off the podcast and drive to the store and buy yourself a bag of potatoes.
Speaker 4: They fell him by the bag?
Speaker 2: Is this true? Fine?
Speaker 1: Fine, I'm making load of baked potatoes tonight. I blame you if I cry.
Speaker 4: Okay, you can call me. You can call me weeping while you make your potato.
Speaker 2: Like so many emotions are coming out. It's like it's just a potato.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's what you need the potato.
Speaker 2: Can I have wine while I do this?
Speaker 5: Of course, bag your salty tears into your baked potato for flavor.
Speaker 1: That's disgusting. Okay, I'm but I have to have a protein for them. I can't just give them baked potatoes, bacon. Instella does eat pork, so.
Speaker 4: Oh boy, here we go again.
Speaker 3: That impossible to clear.
Speaker 2: It's impossible to please five.
Speaker 1: Like I every parent out there can relate like it's just you're never gonna please them all. There's always gonna be one that's like, so, and.
Speaker 5: I'm so bad about cheese, cheese, melty cheese on the potato is not.
Speaker 2: Pro Stella doesn't eat dairy.
Speaker 4: Oh good Lord, no to tell.
Speaker 1: You, but I'm still but I'm gonna make it do it. You will be so like itching myself. I'm like getting so nervous. I'm like, okay, so we're gonna have a baked potato Barden night.
Speaker 5: That'll be fun, It'll be awesome. Yeah, you'll feel so good. You're gonna feel so accomplished.
Speaker 2: You think, Yep, push past it, yep for sure. Mkay.
Speaker 5: All right, we'll be waiting to hear about the results. Post some post some video of the baked potato. Oh I will yeah, and send us your therapy bill if you need to exactly.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna go get baked