Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles ahead. He got jacked.
Speaker 2: This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 3: Harry's Gonna score touchdown Slim to the ground by Buddha Baker Like a torpedo.
Speaker 4: He came flying into the back field.
Speaker 2: The rage is brought to you by santan Ford in Gilbert. Are you santan Ford State Farm? Talk to an agent today at eight hundred State Farm, And by Arizona Cardinals Podcasts visit Hazycardinals dot Com, Slash podcasts.
Speaker 3: All red Seeds, Rising Up, temperaturizing vision, blurring rage, taking it over.
Speaker 2: Here's Paul Calvic.
Speaker 5: A'mready. I'm one hundred percent ready. I'm telling you abready, And Ron wolf Sleep.
Speaker 6: It doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 7: Un Leash the Fjord.
Speaker 5: It just keeps getting better for Ron Wolfley going into the holiday weekend. I mean, it's already been a good day for you, Wolf.
Speaker 1: Yes, it has.
Speaker 5: When you've heard the words and I quote under center and power scheme part of your interview earlier with Will Hernandez, who really is your kindred spirit? As a three hundred and fifty pound you know, just mauling guard in there. And then when Will Hernandez adds as part of your Q and A that he says, quote, I like the mentality of the new coaching staff, and I like how things are trending.
Speaker 8: Quote end quote.
Speaker 5: Well, you know what, it is going to be a good addition to the big red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are Santan Ford, our special guest tonight Cardinals wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator Drew Terrell, Paul Calvic, Ron Wolfley, and yes, Will Hernandez set a tone today? Did he not Wolf?
Speaker 1: He definitely did. Paul. He came walking in to the studio. Of course, had three hundred and fifty pounds. He is a big, big dude. He's a very physical player, as you well know, Paully. I would tell anybody go back and look at the tape from last year. I think before he got hurt, he was the best most consistent offensive lineman the Arizona Cardinals had. Just love Will Hernandez the right guard. I think that's where he's going to be on this offensive line going forward. And yeah, he said everything we expect about the mentality of this team and the schemes that they're going to run a little bit more. It's going to be very physical.
Speaker 5: He was your guy the moment he picked a fight with JJ Watt in training camp. Let's be honest, Wolf, he really was.
Speaker 1: Just honestly, do you know how much circumference that it takes to actually pick a fight with a guy who's going to be all of JJ Watt?
Speaker 9: That was huge?
Speaker 1: Told me a lot about Will.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it did.
Speaker 5: And we're gonna hear from Will, Hernandez and Dj Humphries a little bit later in this edition of The Big Redge presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert But batting leadoff would be your head coach Jonathan Gannon. And guess what Cardinals were on the field, both the veterans and the rookies for the first time together this week. And here's the new head coach and what they got from their very first ODA session.
Speaker 10: Technique and fundamentals and finally some decisions and actions. So get to line up against each other and play some football. So good to compete a little bit and get on the grass. Go offense, first defense, special teams.
Speaker 8: But I liked how we worked there.
Speaker 5: You go on the OTA Jonathan Gannon talking about this, So, Wolf, I mean, you tell me in this day and age, where you know. My favorite example of the voluntary and voluntary OTA comes from Titans and Nashville where the head coach Mike Vrabel ran into his all pro safety Kevin Byerd on Sunday at the golf course at the golf club and then didn't see him during the OTAs during the week, but he ran into him on the golf course. That was my favorite anecdote of the week. So it's far from mandatory. We know that it's in the name, it's voluntary. But for the most part, everybody was in attendance this week, and I would expect as much when you have a brand new coaching staff.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was interesting, Bully, because back when I was playing in the National Football League, they still did They had the quarterback schools. They would call them. They would call them voluntary quarterback schools, and yet everyone knew that it was not voluntary. It was like, we're going to have this quarterback class. We're going to have this little two week period right here, and man, would we love for you to be there. And if you're not going to be there, it's going to tell us a little something something about you. It was I would say ninety seven ninety eight percent. The only way you didn't show up for a quarterback school is if you were trying to hold out and get a new contract. That's the only time you weren't going to show up. So whenever there's a new coaching staff, it really behooves the veteran. I would say, this is just me to show up and actually participate. And we you've seen that happen from time to time this offseason already. And yet at the same time, they have their fair share of guys that who did not show up.
Speaker 5: Look, you played a decade in the league.
Speaker 8: You went to Pro Bowls.
Speaker 5: Kyle Vannenbosch on the Red Sea Report another guy who played a decade in the league went.
Speaker 8: To Pro Bowls.
Speaker 5: And here was Kvb's take on just the importance of OTAs.
Speaker 6: You've got to have reps. You've got to practice them. You can't just draw stuff up on a board.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: The great thing again about football is eleven guys have to do their jobs, and in order to do that, you have to rep it over and over and over until it's impossible to make a mistake. Not rep it until they get it right, rep it until you don't get it wrong. And starting to get those reps on the field on the grass right now, it's going to pay off in the fall.
Speaker 5: I love that line. Don't rep until you get it right, rep until you're not going to get it wrong. It's impossible to get it wrong. And when you have a brand new scheme on both sides of the ball, with brand new coordinators in a brand new head coach, I mean, well, if we know how impair of it is you're not playing fast in the NFL. You can have all the measurables and all the talent, the athleticism in the world, but if you're not thinking fast, you're not playing fast. And that to me is why this is so vital, because it has to become second nature.
Speaker 1: No doubt about it, BALI. It really does right now. And there are a lot of changes, as we all know, terminology changes, schemes, they will change. When are OTAs meaningful to a veteran, I would say there are three primary areas where it's really meaningful to a veteran to show up to OTAs voluntary, though they be number one is when there's a new coaching staff with new schemes. That makes sense, right BALI, Yep, a new staff and a brand new paradigm, you're gonna have a brand new culture. Yeah. I think it really behooves the veteran to show up when there are are new schemes to absorb. Number two, when the veteran is new to the team period. Here you know you are an unrestricted free agent, they brought you in, whatever it may be. If you're new to the team, you want to show up because of the new schemes of course, and the new teammates. You want to start building that relationship with your teammates. And then I would say number three, when the veteran is coming off an injury. I think those three things, primarily, Paul, those are when its most beneficial. I would say to a veteran to show up and actually participate in these OTAs. For me, a guy that was always on the bubble, this was not voluntary. This was show up and make sure you're there. Into any guy that is out there that is forty eight, forty nine on the roster or further back, you're going to show up to these voluntary workouts.
Speaker 5: And from the outside looking in, can I add number four and that is when there's a new GM in the house, when makes it worse a new decision maker watching all of these sessions right with his assistant GM, Dave Sears alongside Manti ausin for it, and you don't quite know exactly what they're thinking and whether they think they might have a need at your position between now and training camp and whether, yes, you're even gonna get out of training camp. So yes, I would say it's most definitely in your best interest unless you're an all pro player and you feel like you have all the security in the world. So and it's all and look, as a new staff, you're going to get that extra week as well, because it is imperative you are behind the eight ball as a new coaching staff to get your system installed. And it is a process. And Jonathan Gannon was asked about that.
Speaker 8: Pretty close to being done.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we give them a lot and there's a natural teaching progression to all that, and we'd like to hit it two, three, four times before we got to line up and play week one. I'm excited that we do have a lot in and we just got to coach up to details.
Speaker 5: Here's my one inkling too, by the way, just reading between the lines, Wolf, You know, we do interviews, we talked to coaches, et cetera. I have this sense, this vibe they're going to simplify things this year on both sides of the ball that I think ideally they take maybe a little bit off the plate of a Kyler Murray and maybe try and simplify the process of his decision making a Kaiser White if he indeed is going to be the guy in that speculation calling the defense. Guess what, He's been in this defense for a number of years in Philadelphia, and he's with Jonathan Gannon before that. So I think you're going to for example, is Zavi and Collins on the outside, right, I think he's going to be thinking less and playing more. And I think that's more akin to being the norm this year than the exception.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would agree with you, Pauli, and that is hitting the reset button basically on offense and defense and in transition with special teams as well. I think, yeah, they're going to bring it down to the bare boned fundamentals how they want things done. That's part of building culture. Again. You can't make any assumptions if you're JAG and the coaching staff and Monty assen Fort and you're trying to change the culture of this team going forward, Polly, you gotta tear it all down. You gotta strip it all down, and that means right down to the technique and fundamental level of those techniques. And that's exactly what JJ was talking about. You gotta tear it down then and then build it back up and not take anything for granted. Don't assume that a guy has been taught anything technique and fundamentals, and this is the time of year you teach that.
Speaker 5: By the way, some of the takeaways from OTA's Isaiah Simmons running with the dbs the safeties in particular, Zavin Collins was with the outside linebackers this week during the open media session. I know Will Hernandez talking about playing next to Paris Johnson Junior, so it seems like he's getting reps at right tackle John Gains among those snapping the ball. So look, there are some questions, and there are some players who might be in different spots than we're accustomed to, but I would say there are still a number a number of open spots that this new GM is looking at Wolfen trying to decide between now and mandatory mini camp. Okay, do I need to make a move before training camp? Is that plausible?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Paully, is it plausible? Yes? I do believe a move is plausible before training camp right now. But once again, I just love the fact you bringing up Will Hernandez was talking to me today about, Hey, when do you see a general manager go out and actually draft an offensive lineman in the first round, a guy that believes in the physicality of the game. And I love that because this is culture.
Speaker 5: Building from the inside out, just like we predicted going into the draft. All Right, Will Hernandez, we'll hear from him a little bit later. Up next, how of the Cardinals assistant coach he played for and coach with, Jim Harbaugh, just coached for Ron Revere. He's just part of the NFL Coach Accelerator program, Drew Terrell. He's up next in the big red rage resented by Santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 4: Hurry in an empty set in Shotgun, takes a snap, three step drop, looks over the middle, throws and it's bought by Brown first down.
Speaker 5: Makes a man mess in the fifteenth.
Speaker 3: Cut right to the ten, Pap Brown is into the UPTI for a touchdown. Hollywood Brown ben spectacular, gorgeous run after the catch.
Speaker 1: What an incredible play by Hollywood Brown. Do you want to talk about the red carpet? Hollywood Brown, just walk down the red carpet here at State barf stated.
Speaker 5: Hey, passion wolf n't kidding right there? That was a season long twenty five yard touchdown catch and run. Hollywood Brown against the Eagles early in the season. Fact led the Cardinals in that game eight grabs, seventy eight yards receiving and if you remember, as of that game, he was fifth in the league in receptions and seventh in receiving yards. It was the next week at Seattle where he suffered the foot injury going tog treik Wollen, and then he missed four or five games after that, and his season wasn't quite the same. And I just provide that as a reminder of the potential of Hollywood Brown. Of course, I don't need to remind his new position coach who joins us now, as we say, welcome in. Drew Terrell is our guest here on the Big Red Race presented by santan Ford and Gilbert Welcome to the show. Welcome home, Drew Mason Native, right.
Speaker 8: No doubt.
Speaker 9: Well born in Masa, but really really at Chandler Native. I probably spent the most time in Chandler.
Speaker 5: And Chandler Hamilton. And what's it been like coming home, because you know, I mean, there's a lot of positives, but then I'm guessing you also are going to have to set some expectations when it comes to ticker requests and stuff like that.
Speaker 9: Right, Yeah, that's probably the biggest negative is probably that the ticker requests people want to come to State Farm Stadium to see the games.
Speaker 8: But it's all been extremely positive.
Speaker 9: I Mean when I figured I had this opportunity to come back home, I didn't even didn't want to tell anybody.
Speaker 8: He didn't want to say anything to Jinks.
Speaker 9: Didn't want to put myself in a situation where it couldn't happen, because you know, when when you're coaching, you always have this vision.
Speaker 8: You know, you want to get back as close to home as possible.
Speaker 9: But I never thought I would have the opportunity to come home and represent the Cardinals and you know, drive the same streets I grew up driving and you know, live in a similar area to where I grew up in and it's been an outstanding, you know, transition.
Speaker 8: It's been awesome.
Speaker 5: I mean, you see all the players families react on draft day, right, we just went through that. I'm sure your family and friends must have reacted when you got to make that phone call.
Speaker 8: Right, Oh, no doubt.
Speaker 9: I mean it was I remember when I got the when I got the call from MANI, and you know, I was in my kitchen in Virginia and my wife and I just looked at each other and I said, you know, we're going We're going back, and you know, I teared up and she started crying. And then I called my mom and she was crying, and it was like, yeah, it was like I got drafted to go back home.
Speaker 8: It was it was insane. It was awesome, excited to be here.
Speaker 5: Drew Trell is our guest right last three years with the Commanders. So what do you think when week one as the Cardinals at Washington.
Speaker 8: Couldn't have written a better script?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 8: Week one, go back to where you've been.
Speaker 9: For three years, where you know, we had our daughter, where you know, my wife and I were married during our time there, so you know, obviously a lot of near and dear memories for our family there.
Speaker 8: But couldn't write it any better. Of course, we're going there. We're going exactly.
Speaker 5: And you know what I'm trying to tell people, if there's a new ownership group in place, that stadium is gonna be hopping. I mean, I'm guessing there's gonna be a big time by But let's rewind past that. You spent what four or five years as a grad assistant, did you not? I mean you're thirty one years old, right, I just cleared stuff out of my garage this past weekend. That's older than you drew. Okay, but you put in your time on some of the lower runs of coaching. You really invested it and grinded early in your career, didn't you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, I got into coaching when I was twenty two years old, so I was I was young when I got in.
Speaker 8: It during my first year at Virginia Tech.
Speaker 9: And yeah, I spent four years as a graduate assistant, spent two years as a quality control in the NFL, and then the next year I was the assistant receiver coach, and then after that first year in Washington, they promoted me.
Speaker 8: So you know, it's been a steady climb.
Speaker 9: You know, had to work my way up, been around a ton of great coaches, people that you know, really went out of their way to pour into me and give me the knowledge that they had to help me elevate and be prepared for my next opportunities.
Speaker 5: And we're going to get into the Cardinals receiver room and this offense, especially as the passing game coordinator. But as long as we're talking about your career, your fresh off a trip to Minneapolis, the Spring League meetings and the NFL Coach Accelerator program that they talk about giving a chance to network. There were as the NFL Network described it, I was watching some of it this week. They described it as forty diverse coaching candidates with a chance to network with ownership and club executives. Just give us a quick thumbnail. What was it all about.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it was a chance, you know, for the lead to get some few young coaches, few older coaches, primarily minority candidates. Give them a chance to you know, get around ownership and executives. Like you say, you know, give you the opportunity to kind of show your personality, show what you're about, you know, to these owners, mostly in an informal setting to where you know, the conversations are comfortable conversations. And also one of the really good things about it was, I'm getting around. Gave me the opportunity to get around coaches, minority coaches who have been very successful in this league, coaches like Leslie Frasier and Tarah Austin and and people that have been in this league a long time. And then a lot of great things, you know, especially you know, being minorities, and I was, you know, almost more in all of that. You know, sitting in the room with those people, people that you look up to in the profession that have really done it for a long time, and with the longevity that they've had, I think it's something that you know, I aspire to. So that part, you know, was just as awesome as you know, the conversations with ownership.
Speaker 5: Hey must have been an honor just to be selected. I mean, they identified forty future candidates they think of as coordinators and future head coaches in the league. So right there, I'm sure that's an honor. And then you come back and you get right into it in the same day, you're flying in. You're right back out there and you're grinding, and you're working with Drew Petsen, And so what do you make of this offense? Because I tell you everyone we talked to they talk about how there's gonna be a renewed emphasis on the run and this will be a very balanced attack.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, it's been awesome. Drew's doing a tremendous job. You can tell he's, you know, ultra prepared for this opportunity. He's extremely detailed. He's got a clear vision of what he wants and what he wants it to look like and the way he wants us to train and coach the players. You know, it's it's going to be exciting to watch how this offense, you know, evolves and develops in suits and fits and molds to our personnel. I think, you know, at the core of it, you know, we want to serve the players and capitalize on their strengths. And that's what this offense is really geared towards.
Speaker 5: And look, we can talk about the run game, but you're the passing game coordinator, Drew Drell our guest here, and look, the the honest reality is, if you look at the downfield passing attack. Last year, there wasn't a lot to speak of. I mean, most of the metrics will show that card right near the bottom of the league. I'm sure you've seen a lot of that on film. So what are you stressing right now? What's most important and what are your objectives, especially as you're ready for mandatory mini camp and then eventually training camp.
Speaker 9: You know, I think the objectives for us right here in OTAs is really trying to fine tune fundamentals and kind of determine what type of offense we're going to be given the guys we have, you know, really assess their skill sets and get a feel for, you know, things they excel at, things that are going to give our quarterbacks the best chance to be successful. So really it's about you know, identifying those things being really really detailed on fundamental football because this time of year, you know, things are slowed down, a lot of teaching goes into it, and of course you know we're trying to implement a new system. But I think all those things are geared towards serving the guys that we have and maximizing their strengths as best as we can.
Speaker 5: Look We're familiar with Hollywood Brown. We just heard the highlight, you know, Rondell Moore. It's ginn to some of the new guys in this strowster, starting with you, round three rookie, Michael Wilson, Stanford guy. And you played at Stanford. To what degree were you pounding the table on draft day? I mean was he on your radar? And how much input did you give money when it came to that selection.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so Mike.
Speaker 9: I knew about Mike of course, you know, being at Stanford, and then he he wore my number.
Speaker 5: He wore it a lot better than I did, by the way, Hey, that's coming from a guy he won a Rose Ball. So I mean, come on, you were Stanford's leading receiver your final.
Speaker 8: Year, right, Yeah?
Speaker 5: And he played with Zach Ertz and I saw where your first touchdown catch was from Andrew Locke. Oh yeah, so you can name drop a little.
Speaker 9: Yeah, make sure he tells Zach all of the team's leading receiver, right, That's right. But but yeah, so I knew about Mike early in the process, but I hadn't really had a chance to really dive into his tape and evaluate him until that process came. This offseason, and when you dig into the tape, what you find is, you know, a kid that's extremely detailed. You know, he's got right athleticism, a great skill set, got good size, moves really well for his size. But he was making plays on tape to translate to this game. His play speed was outstanding. He was attacking the football away from his body. So that's the biggest thing when you're watching guys, college guys on tape is how does their skill set translate to this level and what we do? And you know, Mike was checking boxes and then you go back and you watch the Senior Bowl. You know what he was able to do in truly competitive one on one situations is you know, he was one of the top guys there, and that tape showed up and you know, as we got further along in the process, I had an opportunity to speak with him a couple of times and he would continued to check boxes. You know, he was smart, he's engaging, he was locked in. You know all the reports you got from Stanford where that he was a tough kid, do whatever it took for the team, and exactly the type of guy we're looking for. He just happened to go to Stanford. Yeah, I'll tell you what.
Speaker 5: He was two minutes into his first press commerce of the media, I'm like, oh my goodness, he's a top five interview on this team already. I mean, if he's gonna make plays the same advanced level he meets, it's the media. And then the Cardinals found something. In fact, here's one of the comments he made to the media.
Speaker 7: Whatever I get is what I'm going to earn. And so if that's being a starting receiver, that's great. If that's being a special teams guy, that's also great. If that's being a backup receiver plus special team gun or roll, whatever role that I carve out for myself, it's going to be completely dependent on what I do on the practice field, how I carry myself in the media room.
Speaker 5: And he just looks the part. I mean, he's six to two, he moves, so we'll see. I mean, obviously it was rookie camp and some ota so far. How about Zach Pascal though, another newcomer. Give us your first impressions on a guy who's got the size obviously as the physicality. He kind of got buried on that talented Eagles team. Didn't need a lot of targets, but he had a couple of really successful and productive years with the Colts before that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I've got a ton of respect for ZP. You know, he's done in his league, He's been productive in his league. He's the consummate professional. He shows up every day. You're getting the same guy. You're getting positive energy, You're getting a guy that works and he's detailed about his job. Typically, you know, when guys have success in the NFL for you know, an extended period of time, they have the little things figured out. They know how to take care of their body, they know how to conduct themselves in the meeting room. They know how to practice, which is is something that takes guys a little bit to learn and understand the importance of deliberate practice. And ZP is a guy that's you know, he's been outstanding. He's been really good for our room. We've got some young guys in the room and he's a great example of you know, perseverance. He was an undrafted guy, a guy to start off on a practice squad, you know, became the Colts leading receiver. Like you said, he was in Philly where they had a you know, a pretty high profile room, but he's a reliable guy.
Speaker 8: Talked to the coaches there.
Speaker 9: And I mean, they love ZP and it was tough for them to lose them, but you know, their loss is our game.
Speaker 8: So I'm you know, I'm a ton of respect for ZP.
Speaker 5: Glad we have and hey, DeAndre Hopkins still an unknown. So now you look at guys like Hollywood Brown and Rondel Moore and Greg Dortch, and all those guys are burners. I mean, those guys can all move. What have you seen out of them? And how do you how do you see them fitting into a droop pets and passing attack. Is there a certain style that fans can expect this year?
Speaker 8: Perhaps?
Speaker 9: You know, I think we're still in those introductory phases of, like I said, identifying what those guys do. Well, you know, one thing that you can be sure of is that we're going to try to maximize those guys' skill sets. And you know what I've seen so far, those guys have been outstanding. They've been locked in. You know, they're working their tail off, they're trying as best they can to grasp and learn, and they're asking the right questions and something that I've been preaching is being extremely deliberate with their thought process and the way they go about practice. And those guys have have been outstanding in that regard, and you know, I'm eager and excited to watch them learn and grow and get more and more comfortable in this offense. Because more comfortable they get, you know, the more plays they're going to make. And they've done a great job.
Speaker 5: The fact that there's the uncertainty a quarterback with Kylo's injury, how does that impact the receiver or does it? What are you telling the guys, because there's it's going to be a number of different you know, qbs thrown to them over the next few months.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it has no impact on our process or our preparation. I could be playing quarterback out there. I expect them to be running their routes the exact same way, same splits on the right footwork at the depth. You know, whatever that is, they cannot you cannot let that be involved in your thought process because it's something that you can't control.
Speaker 8: You have no control over it.
Speaker 9: You've got to focus on what our job is, what our task is, and make the job easy on whoever the quarterback is our.
Speaker 5: Guest, Drew Terrell, Cardinals wide receivers coach. Last question, Jonathan Gannon, do you believe the team takes on the personality of its head coach?
Speaker 8: I do.
Speaker 5: What does that mean for this team?
Speaker 9: It means this team could take off like a rocket. I mean, that guy's got tremendous, legitimate energy. It's not phony energy, it's not fake energy. JG's got a legitimate excitement and a passion for this game and for serving players.
Speaker 5: So and you think that's infectious, I believe wholeheartedly that's infectious. I'll tell you what, a lot of these coaches have a really good track record, including yourself, including that rolls ball win you had for Stanford. I tell you, next time you're on you got to tell some Jim Harbaugh stories, because I know you got some. If we're playing for him and coaching with him, I know you got some some beauties.
Speaker 8: What a time we get. We'll save that for later.
Speaker 5: Drew Corell, our guest, as we continue with a big red rage wasented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford.
Speaker 11: We got a good group of guys that's just like great dudes that want to play football, so it's easy to mingle with the group. Is easy to interject young office and linemen into the room, and it'd be fun.
Speaker 12: Oh man, me and Parris are already clicking. Man, such a cool guy, very smart. We even have our own handshake going on. Already there you go, and already, well, I'll give you guys a clue. It's we wouldn't call it a handshake. We would call it more of a belly shake.
Speaker 5: Well, well, Hernandez has my attention on that one. Not exactly sure what that might be all about, but from the sideline this year, I'll be sure to keep half an eye on those two breaking the huddle, because apparently they got something in store. It is a big red rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert's special thanks to Cardinals receivers coach passing game coordinator Drew Terrell. The former channeler Hamilton Star went to Stanford. I love the line about remind zach Ertz that he was the leading receiver for that Stanford team his senior year. So we're gonna have to do that with zach Ertz a little bit later. Well, I mean the personalities and you brought it up in your interview with Will Hernandez earlier today a ninety eight seven FM Arizona Sports The Wolf and Luke Show. I mean the personality that offensive line room are almost as big as the individuals themselves, right, they need like their own podcast. I mean that would be that would be good stuff to get those guys on Mike interacting for real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought that was super super funny, right there, Will Hernandez. Especially, here's a guy three hundred and fifty pounds. Now, he says Paul, he wants to get down to three thirty five. Okay, he will be down to three thirty five when he comes into training camp, but right now he's three fifty And you know, honestly, will you look every bit of that?
Speaker 5: Well, you know what, well, well think about it. D J Jumpers. We asked him about the schedule release, right, and and he what was this joke?
Speaker 8: Half joke? Half for real?
Speaker 5: Did we offend anyone in the league office? Because look at some of the defensive lines that go against to start the year the Washington Commanders, are you kidding me? With Deron Payne and Jonathan Allen and Montes Sweat and Chase Young and then you get Dexter Lawrence. I think about Dexter Lawrence. I mean, Will Hernandz might have to be three point fifty to go against the Giants and Dexter Lawrence. They're all pro nose tackle. And then you get that Cowboys front of Michah Parsons. And then in week four, hello, there's Nick Bosa and Javon Hargrave. Hargrave on the interior. So I mean, maybe it's by design Will Hernandez wayne into three p fifty because guess what, they're going to be tested in the first month of the season.
Speaker 1: No, they are going to be tested bully. He did say though that no, he's it's not by it. He doesn't want to be three to fifty. Okay, he says he wants to be three thirty five. But you know, and you know me, I'm like, hey, Will, if you want to stay at three fifty, that's great, because oh, by the way, are we running power? Are we doing that? Are we going to line up and actually blow somebody's face off and run the ball downhill? And can I just tell you that Will Hernandez was talking about that very thing. PAULI really impressed with the physicality of Manti assen Ford and JG and their culture.
Speaker 5: Hey, Will Hernandez might want to check and see if Jonathan Gannon runs a fitness test on the first day of camp. I'm just saying, you know, before he decides what he's going to weigh in exactly in the whole cardio. Look, here's DJ Humphries from The Wolf and Luke Show this week on his very first meeting with a new offensive coordinator, Drew Petsing.
Speaker 11: Me and Drew became friends the first day we met because the first thing he said to me was, I'm gonna tell you now, we're gonna run the ball a lot more than you did before. I said, Man, you don't have to tell me anything else, brouh. I'm not the guy that you need to like tell the offense to. I'm not that gab bro. I'm gonna go out there and and block the inn. Let you guys play ten versus ten. I really appreciate you telling me that we're just gonna run about more everything else, Coach, don't even waste your breath, bro.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of players talking about what's coming in terms of not only more run game, but the style of run game. We also talked to running back Corey Clement this week and he affirmed pretty much everything DJ Humphreys was saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he did. Paulin and Corey Clement at five ten, two twenty five. I might add, go ahead and try to tackle that. That hurts you, That physically hurts you. To try to tackle that. I'm so excited. And the reason why I'm so excited is because I really do believe that the game of football and all of its glory on the line of scrimmage offensively and defensively, is going to come back to the State of Arizona via the Arizona Cardinals. I think they're gonna line up Paul just talking to Will today and DJ. Of course, they're gonna line up under center a lot more. They're gonna run twelve in thirteen personnel out on the field. That's one back, two tight ends, one back, three tight ends. They're gonna attack down hill. They're gonna run downhill and attack it and use play action. You know how much to what degree, I don't know, but I'm really excited about it because I do believe that's the area this offense needs to evolve.
Speaker 5: And here's Will Hernandez from your interview earlier today, and just what a successful run game can do for you.
Speaker 12: When you're very consistent and you're able to execute, and you're able to run the ball so much you don't play actions, all those start being so much more effective. Beautiful guys down the field of wide ass open, and you know, it's just it makes a lot of things easier for everybody else around the ball.
Speaker 5: And then you went into out they're going to run the power. Okay, so we'll give us a quick recap on that, because you know, I was just listening, but it sounded like you were out of your seat at that point.
Speaker 1: No, I was, and it was because once again, are you actually gonna get into a power personnel group who like twelve personnel and you're gonna go ahead and line the tight end up twelve or thirteen, two tight ends or three tight ends. You're gonna line it up, and then you're gonna collapse the right side. Everyone's going to blockdown. We're gonna kick the n man out on the line of scrimmage of backside guard. It's gonna pull around and come up through and get on the linebacker. That is the most physical play in all of football. It is the power. It's the second play they actually drew up in the dirt when they created the game of football, and that is going to be run by the Arizona Cardinals at some point in time. How much and to what degree, I don't know, But just the fact they're wrapping it out right now, Paul tells me so much about this offense and the mentality of this offense going forward.
Speaker 5: You know, a lot is made about Jonathan Gannon was a defensive head coach, but I think he knows, yes, from being a defensive coordinator, that if another team can run the ball, you know they're going to run the ball. And they still run the ball. Not only is that a very effective in moving the chains, but be it is demoralizing in what they sue to a defense, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, PAULI, no, it truly is. When the other team can line up and this is this is about you know, you were talking about simplifying and this simplifying up the offense right here, simplifying it for Kyler Murray. This is where it really is going to help Kyler to get in a huddle, you call a play and know that I'm going to hand the ball off on this play. Know that you're going to hand the ball off on this play and then carry a fake out, whether it's a boot, whether it's a waggle, whatever you're gonna do. After you handing that ball off, you're going to go ahead and you're going to fake that. And I love that because it's so definitive. Okay, we are going to attack downhill. Your offensive line knows that they're not guessing as to how they're going to come off the ball. They know you're gonna hand the ball off to James Conner and oh, by the way, he's two hundred and thirty two pounds. They're going to attack the line of scrimmage downhill in Paul, guess what that does. That tells every offensive lineman that lines up and puts his hand in the dirt, We're counting on you to do your job. We're counting on you to blow somebody off the ball. The demand is put on the offensive line to do their job and block somebody because we're running down hell. Paul, I love that. Just think of the mentality of that. Right now, you're not running an RPO where you you know, run pass option where the offensive line doesn't really know or we're going to run it. So you know, okay, I'm not trying to read that week side inside linebacker. I'm not going to do that. I'm trying to block the guy here that there's no doubt when you line up and run the ball. And that's where your offense can become very, very effective by using play action.
Speaker 5: And Will Hernandez he went off on a bit of a rant on that where he said, yeah, the play action becomes so much more effective. Receivers are more wide open. It just makes things easier for everyone who's around the ball, in the words of Will Hernandez. And then you talk about simplifying it. Look, how many times do we hear defenders, especially defensive linemen and guys in the box, say that when the opponent gets in the gun, it simplifies it for the front seven.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and so, and.
Speaker 5: Look, nobody ran the shotgun to a higher percentage last season than the Arizona Cardinals offense. So now, especially if you're going to start the season with a Cole McCoy under center, for example, or at least playing quarterback, I would envision Cold being under center more than we ever saw the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: No doubt, and you know it does so much of the time. It really helps your quarterback and run down situation first and ten second and one to six. When you line up and you line up, especially a power personnel group Pauli, when you go two tights, three tights, you line up and you run some play action right there. Again, it simplifies a lot of things for the quarterback. It's you go ahead, Okay, we're not gonna run it. We're gonna use play action on this Bam. You're either gonna boot, which means you're gonna roll out to the strong side, or you're gonna waggle to the weak side of the formation. You're gonna get out on the edge. You're gonna hit the flat, or you're gonna hit the drag, or you're gonna hit the deep rot. I mean, it's just bought a bing but a boot.
Speaker 5: Hey, still a lot of decisions to made on that offensive line. D J. Jumfrees is maybe the only known for sure at left tackle. Will Hernandez Is he gonna stay at right guard? Who's your center? Paris Johnson Junior? Is he your right tackle? Could he be in the mix at left guard? We'll talk about the defensive front when we come back, and a reminder. Single game tickets on sale now Easycardinals dot com slash buy tickets to secure your seats today.
Speaker 4: Gino Smith in the pistol behind him as Kenneth Walker snapped the Smith He's gonna throw and t.
Speaker 2: The top numbers.
Speaker 3: Picked off the thirty on the top of now running back under the twenty to ten dump.
Speaker 6: Down out Saban Collins.
Speaker 8: Great awareness.
Speaker 3: That was a checkdown of the rights and Saban Collins read it.
Speaker 8: He picked it off and then he.
Speaker 3: Returned it to give the Cardinals to lead thirteen to ten.
Speaker 8: Saban with a look what I found?
Speaker 1: Pick and then shows off bad speed. That is a big man running taking it all the way back for a pick six.
Speaker 12: Paye hey.
Speaker 5: There were certain games where passion Wolf called the name Zaven Collins a lot. That was a thirty yard pick six against Seattle last season. Of course, that's when he was calling the defense playing the mike linebacker role. Now he's on the outside at least as of now, I'd be the most intriguing player on that side of the ball. Dollar for dollar, just okay, how's he gonna fare? Especially considering the need on this team for someone to be a force off the edge, it is the big Red Rage presented by Santane Ford and Gilbert. We are Santan Ford, Paul kelvic, Ron, Wolfley and wolf What do you make of Xavan Collins working with the outside linebackers?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Paully. First of all, my first thought was the fact that he looks more like an edge player than he doesn't like linebacker, you know, with all of his height and his length, of course, he looks more like an edge player and it's going to be really interesting to see how he takes to that. I did not really know this, but last year, of course, whenever Zavan Collins would get out on the edge, he was still making all the checks and all the col Do you have any idea how difficult that is to do, Paul?
Speaker 5: It is remarkable to hear him say that that he would be on the edge and you have to shout the adjustments to checks like they'd come out and empty, and then you'd have to check as a defensive front and he's like shouting like al right, that's right, I mean, wow, in a loud stadium, that's difficult.
Speaker 1: It just shows you the mental acumen that this guy really has because he was able to actually play Mike linebacker, making the adjustments and the calls, not from behind the line of scrimmage, but from the edge. Very very interesting on that. I think his physical skill set is a better fit for the edge now I think that. I don't know that I think that, but it's really interesting that Zavian told us that the coaching staff jg of course and Nick Rollis they were the ones who actually approached him in regard to saying, hey, listen, we'd like to start you off here on the edge where we're gonna still move you around. It's not like you're never gonna play Mike linebacker again, but we'd like to start you off here on the edge. I thought that was really interesting to hear Zavon Collins say it was basically their idea, and Zavon was all about I want to win. Not a surprise there either.
Speaker 5: And when you talk about as measurable, so he is six ' four plus in every bit of two sixty, so I mean he is an extra large dude who seemingly would be very well suited to the edge.
Speaker 8: Holding the point.
Speaker 5: We'll see here's Jonathan gall Gannon on Zamon Collins' attitude so.
Speaker 8: Far, He's doing a good job.
Speaker 10: But I love about Zavon as that's the type of makeup that you want in your players, is coach. I'm willing to do anything that you want me to do to help the team. And when you have a bunch of guys like that on your team, you have a good chance to win.
Speaker 5: I know that a lot of people like to make the comparison to a Hassan Reddick, who's also was once upon a time an inside linebacker first round pick by the Cardinals, who didn't really flourish until he got to the edge. Difference is as Son Reddick had been an All American in college at that position. All right, this is new for Xavi and Collins, But I'm wondering, well, do you think this could unlock his athleticism a little bit more akin to a Hassan, Yes, I do, Paully.
Speaker 1: I think it's going to be a challenge to him. Just talking to him the other day, had the opportunity to sit down and talk to him. Just talking to him, you could see his light, his face light up just a little bit. You could see the light coming from him. Paully when he started talking about that and moving out to the edge and bringing the athleticism to the edge a little bit. It's a challenge to him. This is something that I think he is going to cultivate. What also is very interesting, Paully, is just the fact that okay, with the whole Hassan Reddick and Jag of course and Nick Rowlis. Hey, guess what they took Hasan Reddick and made him one of the best edge players in the National Football League in that defense with Philadelphia. And now they come out here and we all thought, what PAULI for the most part, it was going to be Isaiah Simmons. They were going to take Isaiah Simmons and they were going to stick him out on the edge. That's what they were going to do. I never in a million years thought, Paul it was going to be Zavan Collins. When you talk about the two inside linebackers for the Cardinals, Savan Collins as the mic, Isaiah Simmons as the weak side inside. I would have bet you five thousand dollars or more, Paul, than it would have been Isaiah Simmons on the edge and not Zavan Collins. He got incrementally better all of last year. They look at him and say, no, we think you are on the edge. That's very fascinating to me because they see something in this kid that other people have not.
Speaker 5: My question now is, okay, we know the edge guys right, whether it's Zavon or bjo Jalari, the second round rookie year of my j Sanders, Cam Thomas, the third round picks last year, it's who's playing on the interior of that defensive line. You look at this roster right now is currently constructed. The guys were in the ninety numbers in numerical order, Rashard, Lawrence, LJ. Collier, Kevin Strong, Jonathan Ledbetter, Carlos Watkin to Eric Banks, and then Cameron Thomas. If you're gonna drop him down to a five technique, well, there's a lot to be decided to determine in that group, is there not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there really is, Pauli. If you want to make the Arizona Cardinals team right now and do well be a defensive lineman, yeah, that is where you're gonna have the opportunity. You are gonna have the opportunity to make this team. You're gonna have the opportunity to play in that rotation. I see it as almost wide open. Rishard Lawrence, I think if he's healthy, he's already proven to me he can play. He's an NFL defensive tackle, and I think hopefully this will be his breakout season, provided he can actually stay healthy. But after that, I think it's Katie bar the door for anybody who's really hungry and wants to play on that defensive line.
Speaker 5: Would cornerback be the number two question for you on this defense? Yeah, typically you need four going into a season. You have Marco Wilson, Antonia Hamilton, and then I mean you have some talent, you have some promise, you have some highly thought of rookies, but there's a lot to be decided there as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Paully, it really is a situation where you gotta have you gotta have three corners that you really really feel confident about right now. And you know you mentioned the typical names Marco Wilson of course, and Antonio Hamilton. You got Rashad Fenton as well. Listen, I think it's gonna be wide open, wide open, And I don't think we're done yet. That's just me. I wouldn't be surprised to see some signings late going into training camp that are better in corners.
Speaker 5: Yeap veteran corner, a veteran defensive lineman or two. Perhaps maybe a veteran tight end or two. I mean, when Trey McBride's telling you today that they're gonna run twelve and thirteen personnel, Yeah, are they going to bolster that room? So we'll see and then center, of course, center might be atop the power when it comes to veteran needs. At this point we'll see a reminder once again. Single game tickets on sale Easycardinals dot com slash by tickets Special thanks as always Jim Amonra, Cody Fincher, Drew Terrell, the wide receivers coach for joining us, Ron Wolfley on Paul KELBC.
Speaker 8: This has been the Big Red Rage.
Speaker 6: Number one til.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Guilty are You? Santan Ford State Farm Talk to an agent today at eight hundred State Farm and buy Arizona Cardinals podcasts. Visit Azycardinals dot com slash podcasts. This has been an exclusive presentation of Arizona Cardinals Football Club.