Speaker 1: And we continue with our American stories. No single soldier on the battlefield is more revered or more reviled than the sniper. They are seen as either cowardly assassins or surgical soldiers. With a single bullet, snipers can change the outcome of a battle or even a war. Long before Chris Kyle penned American Sniper, which became Clint Eastwood's Oscar nominated movie masterpiece, Carlos Hathcock was already a legend. Hathcock was so efficient and fearless during the Vietnam War that he wore a white feather on his gear, taunting the Communists to come find him. Our next story comes to us from Colin D. Heaton and Mike Droberg, two military veterans and the founders of the YouTube channel Forgotten History. Their videos focus on military heroes, actions and events spanning across the globe and are watched by hundreds of thousands of people. Here's Colin Heaton with the story.
Speaker 2: Carlos Norman Hathcock was born on May twentieth, nineteen forty two, in Little Rock, Arkansas. Hathcock supported his extremely poor family by shooting and hunting. At an early age, with a twenty two caliber J. C. Higgins single shot rifle. He later graduated to using a car ninety eight German Mauser that his father had brought back from World War II. Hathcock joined the Marines on May twentieth, nineteen fifty nine, at the age of seventeen, and rapidly became a known quantity. He had won the matches at Camp Perry in nineteen sixty five and the Wimbledon Cup Shooting Championships in nineteen sixty six. Hathcock deployed to South Vietnam as a military policeman, but later became a sniper after Captain later Major Edward James Land wanted papers in every infantry platoon. At that time, there was no formal snipers school in the Marine Corps, and snipers were designated according to a marine's marchsmanship record and field expertise. Land knew right away that Hathcock was a natural. Hathcock soon went to work protecting Marines, and one enemy was a woman. The story of the woman VC called the Apache has been questioned, but here is how Carlos explained it.
Speaker 3: I really don't like to talk about her to you. True she was a I don't like these bad words. She was a very a very bad woman, had her own sniper platoon down there, and I don't think they were allud to get all last snippers, myself, everybody, and she had been torturing a lot of people prior to us getting there, and that was a primary objective kind of for me. And Uh, I was in her own backyard. She was trumpling out her mind and I didn't like that. And she skent that one kid that she'd captured. This was a very very person.
Speaker 4: Very person.
Speaker 3: Saw her kind of saw the group coming in, about five of.
Speaker 4: 'em, and UH.
Speaker 3: Saw her squat down to tinkle, and I certained it was her, and UH guy in front of her was trying to get her to stop, cause they were running eye twa towards us for where they had seen her for he trying to get her stop. She didn't, but I stopped her. I pulled one extra for good measure, because I I was the best shot I ever made.
Speaker 4: I think the best shot ever made.
Speaker 2: The NBA and BC called Hathcock long Train, which means white feather, because of the white feather he kept in the band on his bush hat.
Speaker 4: At that time of Vietnam.
Speaker 3: All the troops was wearing garbage on the dog tags, peace symbols. Right, we need to pee some of them in all kinds of garbage, grenade pins, all kind of mess and the hats and stuff. Well, I picked it up. Why I picked it up, just because I was just going.
Speaker 1: To the bed.
Speaker 3: Guys see and the snipers don't do this. I'm not supposed to do it. But I was kind of a very belligerent individual, I guess as a sniper and kind of like flump my authority.
Speaker 4: I guess. Yes.
Speaker 2: After platoon of Vietnamese snipers failed to kill him, many Marines in the same area donned white feathers to deceive the enemy and confuse them. Hocheimen placed a bounty of thirty thousand dollars on Hathcock because he was so effective, and through a mishap they learned his name. It was believed that one of the local women working on the base accessed hathcock service record book. In those days, sniper kills were recorded in the SRB. Generally, rewards put on US snipers ranged from eight dollars to two thousand dollars. Hathcock held the record for the highest bounty ever placed on a marine, and he killed every Vietnamese sniper who came after him. In one of the most remarkable sniper versus snipery duels in history, Hathcock and his spaughter John Roland Burke were stalking the enemy sniper called the Cobra in the jungle near.
Speaker 1: Hill fifty five.
Speaker 2: This was a fire base southwest of Denange where the Cobra had already killed several Marines to lure Hathcock out to kill him. The stalking lasted for time days.
Speaker 3: Carlo said, listen, if away sniper was sent down there to get me, and uh, which I rather didn't appreciate, and he was doing a bad job on the hill they called a gunnery sertain right outside my door by hooch U, and uh I watched him die, and uh I took a bow right then I was gonna get him somewhere or another. And uh cause I left Vietnam the first time with eighty six and firmed and the whole gob of probables, and I figured I was a little bit better than what they were, so just a smidge, cause I was still alive. And uh I got John Burke, who's my partner, and we went out as a teammader. I trailed him, a very cagy, very smart individual, and I figured he was close to me as good as I was. But it ain't no way, ain't no how did that go?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 3: And you got to think like that too, You got to think like that. And I made a mistake. I fell on a old rotted tree, and he made a shot and hit no partner's canteen, and working up both thought he was hit cause all the warmness running down overs lads and stuff, and uh, I noticed the homeless canteens. You ain't hurt, Yeah, you ain't hurt. Just to kill the devilted canteen, that's all. And we mosed it around and mingled around, and he started running. The bad guy started running now, and we worked around to where I was in his old spot. He was in my n old spot, which was a bad thing for him, cause he was facing the sun by that time. That was afternoon by then, and uh the sun glanted off his lands of the scope, I guess, and which I didn't know at that time.
Speaker 4: Well, I saw the glint.
Speaker 3: I shot at where the glint was, and it just happened to me the right time and by books of things, I was just the quickest on the trigger. Otherwise Andrey kill me because I I shot right through his cup, right straight through his cup, didn't touch sides, didn't touch his size, and it didn't do his eyesight no good in that side either.
Speaker 2: Hathcock and Burke collected the dead sniper's rifle, as Hathcock wanted to keep it as a trophy, but it was later stolen from the armory after he checked it in.
Speaker 1: And you're listening to the story of Carlos Hathcock, and it's being told by Colin Heaton and Mike Droberg of Forgotten History, and you're also hearing from Carlos Hathcock himself. Born in Little Rock, he supported his family hunting and obviously that marksmanship came in handy when at seventeen he signed up for the Marines. There was a thirty thousand dollars bounty on his head by Ho Chi Minh himself. That's how feared Hathcock was. When we come back, more of this remarkable story a true American sniper, And believe me, you want a good sniper on your team in deployment for sure. More of this remarkable story here on our American stories, and we continue with our American stories. Few Vietnam era marines are more storied than legendary sniper Carlos Hathcock. Yet his legend is not rooted in confirmed kills or the longest shots taken, but we held both records in his lifetime. It was his talents for tracking and hunting his greatest weapons. He taught himself to shoot as a boy, just like Alvin York and Audie Murphy before him. He dreamed of being a US Marine his whole life and enlisted, as I said before, at the age of seventeen. Hathcock was a world class sharpshooter, by then, winning the Wimbledon Cup shooting championship in nineteen sixty five, the year before he would deploy to Vietnam and change the face of American warfare forever. I like shooting and I love hunting, but I never did enjoy killing anybody. It's my job, he said famously. Let's continue with the story here again is Colin Heaton.
Speaker 2: Hathcock was offered a top secret mission, which he accepted, knowing nothing about it until he was briefed after acceptance. The mission was to kill a North Vietnamese general far behind the enemy lines, and he would be alone this time. Following his insertion several miles he entered the enemy controlled area. It took him four days and three nights without sleep as he crawled inch by inch over one thousand, five hundred yards of an open field, after already covering two miles just to get to that point. Hathcock was wearing a hastily assembled gilla suit from the local vegetation to blend in with the surrounding terrain, and he was almost stepped on by patrols as he laid camouflage with grass and vegetation in a meadow shortly after sunset. During this process, he came face to face with a deadly bamboo viper and managed to outlast the reptile until it crawled away. He then managed to complete the stalk and get into a concealed position, and not long afterward, the general came into view.
Speaker 3: I did not want none of my people did, so I took the mission on myself and figuring I was maybe a little bit better than I rushed up because I was one training supposed to be better and uh, I come out of tree line back there and UH got onto the other land and I went to my side and didn't go flat on my belly cause I made a bigger slug trail when I was on my belly, and I wormed on my side very minutely, very minutely.
Speaker 4: I knew had a long ways to get.
Speaker 3: They want to tire myself out too much, and UH patrols were went in alarms for each other.
Speaker 4: I could have.
Speaker 3: Tripped the majority some of 'em.
Speaker 4: And they didn't even know I was there. I was in their backyard.
Speaker 3: I was in their backyard, and they did expect a one man attack.
Speaker 4: They didn't expect that, okay.
Speaker 3: And I knew from the first time when they's come up wiley, gay and buy me that I hadn't made.
Speaker 4: Now this be good, this be real good.
Speaker 3: So I just continued swirming along, worming a law and UH come many patrol many patrols come by. There was two uh twenty fifty one on my left, two twin fifty ones on my right, and I see them cooking their groceries and wishing I was there to have a little bit of it.
Speaker 4: But I was definitely hungry. I was thirsty.
Speaker 3: But he got a job today, can't lend now that enter just you're in your bubble, and that's all it is.
Speaker 4: Your job, your job.
Speaker 3: And crawl up on that little rise with an escape route to my right, and that's waite her to win. And the temporary humidity, the whole ball of wax try to run through my mind real quick, and I dumped the bad guy.
Speaker 2: Halfcock fired a single shot that struck the general in the chest, killing him from a distance of seven hundred yards using his preferred Winchester three hundred magnum bolt action rifle. Carlos was deep inside the enemy compound, but this was the easy part. Now he had to escape the area without being captured. His egress and evasion was on. He egressed out of the area as the soldiers went into the trees to hide, and he made his escape without being actively pursued. That is the toughest part of a deep penetration mission, surviving After making the shot. On September sixteenth, nineteen sixty nine, Hathcock was riding on an LVTP five armored personnel carrier full of marines on Highway one north of Landing Zone Baldy, a US Marine Corps and Army Army of Republic Vietnam base located northwest of Chuli and Quangdam Province. When the APC rolled over an anti tank mine. The explosion rocked the heavy vehicle and wounded all the Marines on board, and a fire broke out. Hathcock jumped off and ran to the rear and pulled seven marines from the vehicle, which was an incinerator. Hathcock then collapsed, suffering first, second and third degree burns to his face, arms, and legs, and his uniform was aflame. Another marine grabbed him and pulled him away and placed him in water alongside the road in a rice paddy, and he was still smoking while recovering. Hathcock received the Purple Heart. Nearly thirty years later, he received the Silver Star for this action saving those marines. Although Hathcock had ninety three confirmed kills which had to be confirmed about the spotter and a third party who had to be an officer, he estimated that he had killed between three hundred and four hundred enemy personnel during the Vietnam War. However, not to be sidelined, Hathcock returned to active duty and along with now Major ed Land, established the Marine Corps Sniper School at Marine Corps based Quantico, Virginia. The results of his efforts saw the establishments of Scout sniper schools at Stones Bay, Camp Lejiun, North Carolina, Camp Pendleton, California, and Marine Corps based County Yoe Bay in Hawaii. Despite returning to active duty, Hathcock was in daily constant pain, but he continued teaching snipers. Hathcock's health began to deteriorate, and in nineteen seventy five he was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, and he was medically retired with full benefits and one hundred percent of his pay, just fifty five days short of the full twenty year retirement requirement. Hathcock was honored by having a rifle named after him, derived from the older semi automatic in fourteen and named the Springfield Armory M twenty five White Feather due to his nickname. I met Carlos Hathcock twice. Having been a snipper myself, I was well versed in his exploits. Carlos summed up his philosophy.
Speaker 3: Second live fact was great. It's very very great and very harmful. The bad guys very harmful. One shot, one shot upon a whole company now a whole company because it denies the movement. It denies the movement, restricts their movement. And that's which is good for Lanian, very good for Lanian. I did not like to kill him. I really didn't like to killing. But to pit myself against another living, breathing human being who could kill me just as squat as I could in that was the challenge of it. That was a challenge. See only when you're needed, Only when you're needed, or you the good guy, only when you're needed, seems like because that's training into powers that are they look down on snipers and everybody else.
Speaker 4: Looks down on snippers because we have a job.
Speaker 3: People down below do not understand that job, do not understand what can be done for bys Night.
Speaker 2: Carlos Hathcock, the legendary White Feather, died on February twenty second nine in Virginia Beach, Virginia. He is buried at Woodlawn Memorial Gardens in Norfolk, Virginia, and his legend still stands.
Speaker 1: And a terrific job on the editing storytelling in production by our own Greg Hengler, and a special thanks to Colind Heaton and Mike Droberg, two military veterans and the founders of the YouTube channel Forgotten History and terrific partners of this show. Visit their YouTube channel. Visit it often. And a special thanks posthumously to the legend to the great Carlos Hathcuck, this sniper par excellence who in the end started marine sniper training it had not existed before. And my own mother's brother, well, he did something called paratrooping which had not existed before in World War Two, and so many of those innovators and those dreamers paid the price of being the first. And imagine being a sniper without training, because it is one of the deadliest jobs there is in the military, because the other guy sniper is looking for yours and yours theirs. It is a very special and very singular type of talent. And my goodness, that secret assignment that he described to kill a Vietnamese general, and how many lives it could save. Crawling those fifteen hundred yards, as he said, squirming, not just crawling like a snake, and then I dumped the bad guy with his Winchester Bolt action rifle. The hard part, of course, to get away. And what a thing. So many of our soldiers do for us, doing things like this, crawling in a swamp, and of course the record is surreal, ninety three confirmed kills and estimated three hundred or more by his account, and then establishing the Marine Corps Sniper School, and ultimately his final statement, I did not like the killing. It was his job. The story of Carlos Hathcock, the legendary White Feather, an American sniper. Here on our American stories