Speaker 1: Are you leaving?
Speaker 2: I you wanna way back home?
Speaker 1: Either way, we want to be there.
Speaker 3: Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and a germanol and gay.
Speaker 4: We want to send you off inside. We wanna welcome you back home.
Speaker 1: Tell us all about it. We scared or was it fine?
Speaker 5: Malborn?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 2: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 3: Do your need ride.
Speaker 2: With Karen and Cris welcome to Do you need a ride? This is Chris Fairbanks.
Speaker 1: This is Karen Kilgara.
Speaker 2: We are podcasting live to you from the Is this an eight Honda fed. It's funny that I never specified the year of this Make I model.
Speaker 1: And I do have the VIN number, which I would love to be able to tell people.
Speaker 2: We don't have it on hand right now, but the next episode we promise to release Karen's VIN numbers.
Speaker 1: The first you know what we're gonna do. We're gonna do the first four numbers of the VIN number next week, and then subsequently through the rest of the year, you will get the entire VIN number.
Speaker 2: And this is very interesting. Within those first four you find out where it was manufactured h There will be an age for Honda. You find out the make and the year. Those are all in the first four digits of a viner. A lot of people don't know that unless they're police officers or have done a little bit of car research like I have.
Speaker 6: But you know what also is in those first four numbers is my birth date? Really and a picture, a picture of a small rabbit. But you have to it's in the numbers.
Speaker 1: You have to. You don't see it at first. It's like the arrow and the FedEx symbol. You don't see it. Then when you see it, you can't not see it.
Speaker 2: So this car was manufactured for you for carecal air. Yeah, obvious. I mean otherwise, how would your birthday be in it?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: That's amazing?
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, I mean I it was really nice because when I met Dan Honda of the Honda Corporation.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, what this is all starting to sound like a much like the rabbit you speak of, a little white lie. That's just a little white rabbit. Lie.
Speaker 1: You know what I gotta tell you, Chris, I love lying.
Speaker 2: I know. There's no Jonathan Honda, Dan Dan Danny hondah only his best friends call him Dan, Well, I call him Jonathan. You don't know Dan like I know John.
Speaker 1: You don't know Johnny.
Speaker 2: I know the whole Honda family.
Speaker 6: There's I love the motorcycle side of the family. They're more fun at Christmas and.
Speaker 2: That's why Honda Motorcycles, cars and keyboards are a big sponsor. Do you need a ride today? In the episode, we will be picking up Howard Kramer from his residents.
Speaker 1: Who and he is sponsored by Honda knee boards and Keyboards.
Speaker 2: He being Howard Kramer is early comedy influence of mine. Did you know that, Karen Uh?
Speaker 6: I didn't know that. I just know that every once in a while, his voice pops up when you are either in a bad mood or trying to explain.
Speaker 1: Something to me.
Speaker 2: Every once in a while, you hang out with someone like a certain amount of times and then you start to mimic the way they talk.
Speaker 1: I find Howard Kramer honestly to be one of the most fascinating human beings I've ever met.
Speaker 6: I adore him. I love talking to him at parties. He's one of my favorite people to see at a party because he makes the time go by so quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he really does.
Speaker 1: He's just good times in my opinion, And he's such an original mind.
Speaker 2: He is an original mind. That's a mind that created Austin's stories, an early MTV ahead of its time, multi camera, single camera.
Speaker 1: It's a it was single camera.
Speaker 2: It was a single They shot that whole show series with just one camera the whole time.
Speaker 1: It was it was a disc camera. That was the craziest thing about it. Remember disc cameras?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 1: Did you ever have a disc camera?
Speaker 2: It was early digital recording. You put a tiny disk in it and it was ready to go.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: And and we're gonna talk about what else has been up to his numerous pilot writings, and I imagine he's just wrapping up all new gaggle of summer based comedy.
Speaker 1: Yes, he loves this season of summer.
Speaker 6: He loves He turned it into a different word, which is summer with an age.
Speaker 1: A lot of people know.
Speaker 6: This about him because his podcast Who Charted with Kulap Layasak is one of the most popular and one of my favorite podcasts.
Speaker 2: I might turn off the stereo, do it?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah? Is that a weird? Does it feel like schizophrenia?
Speaker 2: Well, it just sounds like there's music in the background. Yeah, there we go.
Speaker 5: Oh, but but maybe that was a nice added effect.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm sorry that I pulled the radio whistle.
Speaker 1: You're allowed to pull any whistle you want.
Speaker 2: Chris Fairbanks, Well, it would have been the first time in Do you Need a Ride History that we had ambient music playing.
Speaker 6: Have you ever had that where you Sometimes my TV shuts it self off after four hours if I don't change the channel, it'll shut itself off, but the tuner where the speakers for the sound does not go off, so it'll be on real low, and I'll be sitting in the TV room, no TV on, hearing voices and going, it's finally happened.
Speaker 1: I've snapped.
Speaker 2: What is it now? You forget it's a TV?
Speaker 1: Then I really well, because the TV itself is not It's just that, and then I'll recognize either the conversation or something about it, and then I'll go, oh, thank god, it's the TV and not a total breakdown schizophrenia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would frighten me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And they always say if you hear voices, you're pretty much that's early Richard Ramirez type behavior.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we didn't get to talk about Richard Ramirez as much as I wanted to, because he.
Speaker 2: Kind of bumps me out, you know when I really get into a deep Ramirez talk, I mean, all the guy did is kill people. I mean all he wanted is for others to talk about him. So why give him? Why give him the credit?
Speaker 6: Well he earned it, though, because he really did go out and kill all this.
Speaker 2: Well it's a hardware from here to San Francisco. He slayed a lot of people. And you're connected through your family at all to any of these slayings. We apologize for making line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm definitely not laughing at that part.
Speaker 2: It was a long time ago, so maybe get over it.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, we would hope that healing has come your way. Yeah, thoughts and prayers.
Speaker 2: And by get over it, I mean heel in a natural and healthy way.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing. I'm very fascinated by all serial killers. Richard Murmirez. Did you watch the whole thing where the way he got caught.
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, Well, you know, they.
Speaker 6: Obviously great detective work and all that, but they started they finally figured out who.
Speaker 1: It was based I believe on his tennis shoes. Yeah, A Villas And then and then via eight or eight twenties, they let they tracked some stuff down, put his picture on some flyers.
Speaker 2: He like it was a party.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, they were like, come come to this party of total murder and dead eyes and but also great cheekbones.
Speaker 2: Got the guy had some bone structure.
Speaker 1: He really he easily could have been a model, which I think a lot of models could either go serial killer or like a beautiful model.
Speaker 2: As long as it wasn't a toothy photo because the guy had had zero to no dental work done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was a bit of a.
Speaker 2: Bus some corn niblets for They used to call him summer teeth. What summer summer point in this way, summer point in that way.
Speaker 1: You never heard that, No, I never did. But that's not I thought you were relating it back.
Speaker 2: To yes, you know, in a weird, unknown way. I think I was.
Speaker 1: I think you're subconscious with serving that upright to you.
Speaker 2: M h.
Speaker 6: But what I was gonna say was, oh, all the people in the neighborhood recognized him. He tried to get on a bus, people recognized him. And this was somewhere in in Della or maybe like down by Downey.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a little bit rougher beautiful rough area, but beautiful rough but gorgeous.
Speaker 2: I mean for people, the people are okay. People are trees really in the bushes.
Speaker 1: Nice hedges down and.
Speaker 2: You don't have to do much to keep them green.
Speaker 6: The whole neighborhood ran after him and attacked him and like helled him until the cops.
Speaker 1: Came, which is amazing. I just love that one.
Speaker 6: Looks like you get told all the time that like there's no more community, or that people don't work together, bullshit, But.
Speaker 2: Until you see an old lady, a farmer, and a construction worker all do a citizens or.
Speaker 1: S tackle and somehow an eskimo. How did he get there? We don't know.
Speaker 2: No, it was a very uh you know, village people type.
Speaker 1: It was Hollywood.
Speaker 2: They were carrying hoes and torches. There was a garden hose, because that's why the area looks so nice.
Speaker 1: Wise, that's right. They were tending to it and luckily they had all their pitchforks, that's.
Speaker 2: Why they were outside and aware.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were.
Speaker 2: Till they were tilling the soil.
Speaker 1: I mean, this has become an incredibly informational podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you if you feel like you haven't learned anything. Maybe you need to turn.
Speaker 1: Up the volume, yeah, because.
Speaker 2: Nothing but information is pumping through your speakers or headphones, whatever media you're using. So we are in the Hollywood area. This is a classically Hollywood area.
Speaker 1: A lot of apartments, good hedges around here.
Speaker 2: Too, beautiful hedges. It's almost like everyone has a gardener around here.
Speaker 1: It is very much like that.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure they do.
Speaker 1: You kind of get a gardener when you move to LA.
Speaker 2: Isn't that interesting?
Speaker 1: You get your own.
Speaker 2: It seems like you're struggling and you're out of money and you're barely making rent. But guess what, you have a gardener. You've made it.
Speaker 1: That's right. Some dude will show up and tend to your shit and tighten it up. Yeah, for all the neighborhood to see. And that's pretty nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you need your shit tightened up.
Speaker 1: Expected come to our town.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We don't have a good like transit system.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we don't have a lot of nice people per se, yes, or moral people per.
Speaker 2: Se and people are lacking in morals or friendliness. However, did I have a nice well and it maintained frontage? Yeah, even during a drought.
Speaker 1: Oh, my god, my grass has never been greener.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know. And who cares if the reservoirs run dry?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't matter, because ultimately this is supposed to be a desert. We will return back to desert, and in the meantime, I'm going to keep up with the goddamn.
Speaker 2: Jones is exactly. Oh, the Joneses have the best yard.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, it's dark green, it's so dark it's almost blue their grass.
Speaker 2: It's almost impossible to keep up with them.
Speaker 1: Keep trying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can try as hard as you might. You got to Karen, how have you been.
Speaker 1: I've been good. Yeah, uh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: Day job going well, love the day job. Great gratitude. I have an attitude of gratitude, kind of have I like twenty fifteen. I think it's a good one.
Speaker 2: So far, so great, so great.
Speaker 1: Uh. I know we talked about this, but I watched You Have. Should I go up here?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Up there? Yeah? I watched You Have. One of my favorite sets of comedy I've ever seen. The night that we did the show with Drennan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a fun night, but.
Speaker 1: We didn't record yours. It was like the great It's like the classic thing of like what I watched you do this set where I was like, holy shit, it's a barn burner, and then you weren't recording well something.
Speaker 2: Had I recorded it, I wouldn't have been burning down no barns. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Same here. I'm the exact same way.
Speaker 2: I just can't.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a beautiful must Nay, yeah, that is.
Speaker 2: I don't get excited about hot rod cars, but that has got to belong to someone more important than me. It's a beautiful vehicle.
Speaker 1: What if it's Howard's car?
Speaker 2: What if it is? I guess I am saying that already about preemptively. Howard is more important than me.
Speaker 1: That's why he's the true church ture. Do you know where I should stop? Or should we just stay here?
Speaker 2: I would say, you know, all text towered and let him know we're about to come.
Speaker 1: And then we'll all just keep driving.
Speaker 2: Yeah okay, and he'll hopefully say, yeah, I do some more galasthetics. I stayed with him once, and he does have his own workout regimen. I bet a living room. He's in shape guy. He's a handsome guy.
Speaker 1: He's a handsome man.
Speaker 2: A beautiful man. I'm not afraid I say that with a straight Face's.
Speaker 1: Well, it's undeniable. I'm glad he doesn't have his topknot anymore. Though for a while he was trying to do a bun thing that I found very upsetting.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, Well it's hard for a guy. You know, there's a middle stage with your hair. And for me, I either have a shaved head or have a big, giant afro or I put in a lot of Layright hair products. He's a sponsor. Do you need a ride. It's water based and it gives you that nineteen fifties palmade.
Speaker 1: Look La Right hair products.
Speaker 2: You you're darn right, You're darn right, lright cold. I got in my hair and uh yeah, he's uh. He probably was just going through a hair phase.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well it was Summa. I hate saying that my favorite thing. I was at a party. Oh wait, no, this is what I didn't tell you. I was driving this car and a loud noise started happening and it turned out there was a big piece of plastic that was dragging underneath the car.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 6: So I got to work and my friend Artie Carlson, who is one of the great one of the greats who I work with came and cut off this thing that was dragging underneath.
Speaker 1: He said it was the oil pan cover or something like that, that you didn't need that, so he cut it off.
Speaker 2: Now is oil continuing to drip out now that there is no cover?
Speaker 6: No, it was just a plastic like housing too. Okay, right, so that gravel doesn't fly up in there.
Speaker 2: Take it right here on Hollywood Boulevard.
Speaker 6: And then that night I went somewhere a party or something, and on my drive home at midnight, the same noise but kind of worst starts happening.
Speaker 1: Huh and uh.
Speaker 6: I have to pull off the freeway because more stuff is hanging down.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 6: So I pull off and then I'm like, well, I can drive home. It's not dragging on the ground. It was just like obviously flapping free.
Speaker 1: Sure, So I drive a little further and then this really loud noise and something huge drops out from the bottom of my car and I just kept driving. Oh no, I just kept going because it was midnight.
Speaker 2: And then he's on the corner here left, and this guy was so up my asm. Yeah, yeah, he really had somewhere to go. And that sky on maybe the Church of sky Ontology. Oh see, I always know, I know, I know. Well I'm a lot of times my Okay, I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Tell him we're here, okay, anyway, so we've got no housing right now, but well that's okay. It's not expecting anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not a danger in anyone.
Speaker 6: I guess I felt the need to tell a car anecdote, and now that I told it, I feel like someone's boring uncle, you know what.
Speaker 2: I feel that way with a lot of stories, Like I tell it like it's going to have a great ending. And I'm not saying this is what just happened with your snooze fest of a story, but I you tell it with all this cadence and excitement and energy level, and then you find about midway, Yeah, because it's true, it's like, oh, this is a doozy. I remember the details like it was yesterday, because in this case, for you, did you say it was yesterday?
Speaker 1: No, it was a couple of days ago, So.
Speaker 2: The details are still fresh and that has all the signs of a story. And then you get to the end and it's really no payoff. And I'm not saying that's how I experienced your story.
Speaker 6: But my story was one step above telling someone about your dream.
Speaker 1: It really was. It was almost worse because at least in a dream, you're like I was in Asia or something, and mine was like the housing fell off the bottom of my cl.
Speaker 2: There wasn't even like an interesting location.
Speaker 1: San Fernando Road by the Gentleman's.
Speaker 2: Club, or were you dry? What did your hands at least look like feather wings? There was nothing dream like about this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no it was. It was more nightmarish. But in the boring way, he's.
Speaker 2: On his way out. He sent the letter K, which I think just means I am in approval and I will see you shortly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or he's trying to miss send a message to.
Speaker 2: Me the uh just just say your first initial. Yeah, yeah, I got you.
Speaker 1: I think he may have been picking favorites.
Speaker 2: We are going to Yeah. He didn't say C like as in C he.
Speaker 1: Could have said C. Yeah yeah, real soon? Well my purse, real question?
Speaker 2: Sure? Sure? Is it down here in the darkness? It's by your feet, Okay, I will grab it.
Speaker 6: You know what I anticipate is that Howard's gonna stop spilled out. Oh that's right, I just need some hand oce Oh okay, I feel like Howard's gonna drive this conversation.
Speaker 2: Sure, that's fine.
Speaker 1: I feel like he's gonna He's probably gonna have an agenda even that's okay, Like did you pick your summagum type of thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope he does. I have some questions to ask him about sharks, okay, and why he thinks the ocean is better than outer space?
Speaker 1: I think that was another Is that a true thing? That like a conversation you guys had one.
Speaker 2: Because and I understand that like the ocean, the deep ocean, there's glowing oh jellyfish, it's it's really is like another planet.
Speaker 1: I'm one hundred with Howard on that.
Speaker 2: Phosphorus residing in animals causing them to glow. If that's not an outer space behavior, I don't know what is, because I am non asked or not. I've not been to outer space.
Speaker 1: Is there any kind of animal with phosphorus in it? And space?
Speaker 2: Certainly there must be. I mean, I said, yeah, I jumped. I don't know. I actually don't know. So I'm going to say I'm not.
Speaker 1: Sure, But do you think Howard knows?
Speaker 2: I thought you were going to say the ocean and they're are. Indeed, like sometimes just say the waves crashing and it looks like a lightning bolt and you're like, oh my god, am I hallucinating? They said, no, that was just marijuana, and I said, well, I don't smoke a lot, so are you seeing it also? And they say yes, And it's like, well, I guess that's the Gulf of Mask. That's the mes golf for you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's the.
Speaker 2: Near Are in the back seat, Yeah, it's in the back seat. Yeah, we are. Indeed, there's there's a microphone right by you. You know how to use that as per your occupation. Whoops, Hi, Hi, good to see you guys too, buddy.
Speaker 8: What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: We were talking about summer. We were talking about sharks, and we were talking about the difference between the ocean and outer space.
Speaker 8: That's right, Well, the ocean is way better. It's wondrous, it's.
Speaker 5: Full of life, and space is a big nothing and uh tough to get to.
Speaker 2: The ocean is right there. You can do it there. You can swim out and find aliens. Yeah, exactly, all right here on our earth, filled with phosphorus, with lowing capabilities. Jellyfish that look like they're mechanical. I think how.
Speaker 5: Much people would freak out if they even found one snail in space. It would be like the most amazing thing. Meanwhile, we have dolphins that give each other names.
Speaker 2: M wait explain that. How do they they have the I'm taking it as it's one of my favorite Twitter accounts.
Speaker 1: Those are made up by two eighth graders in New Hampshire. I don't know if you should be paying out much attention to uber facts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's it's just East Coast lies. We're gonna go to a comedy concert show called Power Violence.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, are you ready for the Yeah?
Speaker 2: I love that show because it's filled with youth and it brings me back to that place when I was in my early twenties. Those guys like.
Speaker 8: Maybe you find out what your guest thinks about it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you?
Speaker 8: What do you?
Speaker 2: Hey? All right, what do you feel about Power Violence that show? Do you agree with me? Or what you say?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: That that the youth that they kind of host that show with. It's it's infectious.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, it does feels like a like CBGB's in the seventies.
Speaker 2: CBGB's of course, stood for country Blues Country What country blues?
Speaker 8: CBGB's country bluegrass and blues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, it's not very catchy. It's good that they made the initials be the title because that's not that's a horrible name for a club.
Speaker 1: Well, and also, didn't almost none of those things happen there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like immediately, it's like, but hey, the talking heads are pretty good. Why don't we have them do everything but country, blues or bluegrass?
Speaker 8: It's what about TGI Friday?
Speaker 5: Is you cool with that name?
Speaker 2: Oh? I mean it depends on what day of the week i'm there. If I'm there on a Wednesday or Thursday, I'd like to speak to the management for false advertising.
Speaker 1: I'm an atheist, so I'm not interested in thanking God for anything.
Speaker 2: Karen, Hey, how does this work? Do I get a ride home too? Yeah? You bet? Do we tape on the ride home?
Speaker 5: Not?
Speaker 8: Usually?
Speaker 2: We can if you want, if you want to do a recap.
Speaker 8: Well, I just I'm just wondering how it works. I think this is great.
Speaker 2: I feel like while whenever I'm talking to you, Howard, I start to mimic your voice. Do you see me do that? If so, it's embarrassing, Well.
Speaker 8: I do the same with you.
Speaker 2: Here's my impression of Howard Kramer's impression fucked ow great black bean Berger something about a black bean burger bean bag. I one time I stayed at Howard's and all I brought was a skateboard. And I stayed at his place and I was hungry, and I'm like, do you mind if I have your morning Star black bean Burger? And what did I do? What did I did? What did I do? Kramer?
Speaker 8: Well, for the tortillas?
Speaker 5: You read?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm real embarrassed about this. Still.
Speaker 5: Well, okay, so I'm on the phone. Chris says, can I use the black bean Burgers? What did were you making tortillas?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just putting them on a tortilla. Okay.
Speaker 5: So he goes he's making them. I don't know. I'm just talking on the phone in my bedroom with the door closed. There's a knock on the bedroom door a few minutes later, and he says, I do you want some tortillas?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: But he's holding he's holding a plate that has a couple tortillas on.
Speaker 8: Like he said he was gonna make. But the play it is all dirty. I someone had already eaten off of it.
Speaker 2: I had eaten my portion of the food I'd made for both of us. I had eaten my portion off the plate, and then I'd given the rest of the food on the same plate to Howard, because that's the I.
Speaker 9: Was in a wh I anticipated was like, Yeah, I'm gonna make some food, and then he'd tell me when it's ready, and then they get off the phone, and then we both eat it. Yes, and then and I'm thinking, Okay, it's time to eat, but it's like he already ate and he's got my food on his dirty plate that he already used.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I grew up in a tag team meal eating household.
Speaker 1: How many years ago did this take place?
Speaker 5: Can we mention that right front of this is a jeep and their license plate is Austin aus t one and it spells it out and me and Chris and.
Speaker 1: Is that where the story took place?
Speaker 2: No? That was that was here at his residence where you've still how long have you lived there? You've lived in that place too long?
Speaker 8: I feel like I'll move when I deserve to.
Speaker 2: Oh, Oh, I loved that place. You find a good deal, the rent has controlled enough. You stay there, it's controlled, and it's like it's good. I could people watch there every day.
Speaker 1: What do you have the view of.
Speaker 5: Just like everybody going to Runing Canyon.
Speaker 2: There's a church, go to church.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I saw a guy brought his like eight foot anaconda onto the lawn of.
Speaker 8: The church yesterday.
Speaker 5: So he's just sitting there like looking at his phone while the snake like.
Speaker 2: Explores the area in front of the church.
Speaker 5: And at one point it crawled off the grass and kind of had like two feet of its head and the rest of it like going up the stairs.
Speaker 2: To the church.
Speaker 5: So all all that needed to happen was for somebody to walk out of the chapel and just see an eight foot anaconda head staring at him.
Speaker 1: What do you think he was bringing it to church?
Speaker 5: He I saw him, I've seen him there before. He kind of lets it go around on the grass and then I think, like a lot of those guys who bring exotic pets into the public, they wind up talking to people about.
Speaker 1: It, and yeah, they waited around for questions to be asked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, snakes are real. Hey look at me pet. Yeah, like at iguana on your shoulder or a parrot. There's a guy with a parrot in Austin. I'm real sick of his presence.
Speaker 6: But that guy's kind of overdoing it with an eight foot I mean, that's a lot of snakes.
Speaker 8: I'm thick of it.
Speaker 2: It would be funny if like the priest came out of that church and saw the snake and had no choice but to use the Lord's name in vain as an exclamation. Jesus, what hey, I'm just trying to get my snake saved.
Speaker 8: Hey what about u KK?
Speaker 5: You don't have a mic?
Speaker 8: I've got she's mic?
Speaker 2: And what do you got? Hand? Told up to it? I got a price, is right? Long mic? Just like you know?
Speaker 8: Oh nice ye?
Speaker 2: Every time I talk into this, I feel like I'm about to give away a keya spectra here.
Speaker 5: You guys ever took notice of this statue in front of this.
Speaker 2: Bank, Yeah it looks it appears from this you know, I haven't up until now this one over here. Yeah, it looks like a bull.
Speaker 5: Take a bull, but it's like a monkey is riding it backwards or something.
Speaker 2: What what's that? What's that saying about Chase Bank?
Speaker 8: I guess freemasons or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't trust us with our money. We're batshit crazy?
Speaker 1: Is there really a monkey on there.
Speaker 5: It comes down there. Watch when we go by, I forget what it is. Actually he's down there. That's crazy, and it's backwards.
Speaker 2: Oh, let me look at this. It is it's a backwards guy. Yeah, it's a guy.
Speaker 8: There you go.
Speaker 2: It's like I wish it was I would maybe it's a monkey man.
Speaker 8: I think it's a lady. It's like a mermaid lady.
Speaker 2: Do you know what you're gonna do tonight at the comedy concert? Do you have some new bits.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna do some hot reads.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna I'm gonna make some decisions at the line of scrimmage, and I'm gonna I'm gonna take some swings at it.
Speaker 2: Oh good, let's see panata style.
Speaker 1: Have you doing a lot of sets lately?
Speaker 5: Not as many as I want. I want to do a lot more, But I've been doing like three or four a week.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good. Thought, that's pretty good numbers.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'd be doing more sets myself if I didn't live at the damn beach. True, but I'm near the ocean, and you know I love the ocean. Did you know I loved the ocean?
Speaker 5: I did?
Speaker 8: I mean you got out there pretty quick.
Speaker 2: Yep. I love it out there. I just have to drive too much to the comedy.
Speaker 1: Shows, yeah, because they're all here, so three.
Speaker 2: Shows a week. To me, you're a professional comedian in my mind, in my eyes.
Speaker 1: Now, Howard, are you working on anything right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What are you working on? Oh?
Speaker 5: I'm working on an geo that Geo's doing comedy show. It's it's like a comedic take on world history, really, and I'm working on that, on writing and maybe be in it and be voice on of a of a weird character they have.
Speaker 2: That sounds terrific. That sounds interesting. Is it something you can't talk in detail about? I don't.
Speaker 5: Basically, it's like a sketch show and we go back to different points in history and talk about certain things developed.
Speaker 8: And that's probably all I could say.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounds cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even just a brief synopsis, I'm intrigued and I want to watch it.
Speaker 1: Did you do you know a lot about history?
Speaker 5: I have my own view on it and my own kind of timeline and stuff.
Speaker 2: Like I started of it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, like I'm interested in it.
Speaker 5: So I started like a document where I have like all the things I'm interested in.
Speaker 8: And then like when they came about and stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, like a legal pound with some stuff on it.
Speaker 2: No, it's on my computer.
Speaker 1: I see.
Speaker 5: But you know, there's crazy there's crazy stuff that you don't think about that I think is interesting. Like what like, uh, there's no, there's.
Speaker 2: No there were.
Speaker 5: They didn't know about the dinosaurs until until like the eighteen late eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 2: Until they started finding bones and stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but they would find it but just wouldn't have any idea what it was.
Speaker 8: Or would just never put it together.
Speaker 5: But anyway, like for instance, when they signed the Declaration of the Independence.
Speaker 8: Like there was no such thing as dinosaurs. Nobody had ever heard of dinosaurs.
Speaker 5: So I don't know the way the speed at which stuff develops and is interesting to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like they should re right the Declaration of Independence with dinosaurs in mind.
Speaker 8: Don't make fun of my belief.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm not. I'm on board. I don't like those Christian people that think dinosaur bones were planted by the devil to test our faith. I think those are crazy people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my brother went out with this fundamental, this Christian girl, and they were taught that the dinosaur bones were dogs, but they were just really much bigger back then.
Speaker 8: But they were still pets. There's still humans pets.
Speaker 2: Was that a thought? That was that just cooked up at her church? I've never heard of something so ludicrous.
Speaker 8: Yeah, she told my brother.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Wait did she believe it? Or she just told him that's what someone?
Speaker 5: I think it's like the kind of disconnect that just she was always told that and then didn't ever really examine it. But when you press her about like what do you actually believe?
Speaker 8: That's what comes out.
Speaker 2: Is he still with her? Uh? No? Is this your brother that you used to do in your act? Yes? And what did what did he sound like? You just like this straper should pay me? I should pay me?
Speaker 1: Is that something he said?
Speaker 8: I was like, hey, give that go give that girl a dollar.
Speaker 2: They should pay me.
Speaker 8: I banged these chicks by mistake.
Speaker 2: I want to meet your brother.
Speaker 1: Is your brother just a taller version of you, Howard?
Speaker 2: No, I'm taller. Howard's the tallest. He's the tallest. You're the tallest in your family?
Speaker 5: Right, Probably my little brother's half brother's probably taller.
Speaker 2: Huh. Isn't that curious because he's a little brother. Yeah, yeah, very misleading.
Speaker 8: Opposite of truck.
Speaker 1: I just pictured your family as the oldest was the tallest, and then it went down like the stickers on the back of a car on.
Speaker 2: A no family fan.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well hey, hey, uh yeah, well you don't seem to be taking a direct route.
Speaker 2: No, it's funny. When we're in the car, everything we do is for the sake of time, and as the crow flies, it makes no sense our routes.
Speaker 1: But we're just trying to you know.
Speaker 2: But the way a clock works, we are so good now at arriving exact you wanted to arrive there at a round nine forty five, correct.
Speaker 5: Yes, but that's when I thought it started at nine. But some of the stuff says it starts at nine thirty.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so we don't. We're in no hurry. We could do a full lot. I mean we're fine either way. Okay, cool, because I want to spend more time with you.
Speaker 5: Oh goody Oh.
Speaker 1: Now, Howard are you the headliner?
Speaker 5: I don't know? Round probably is okay, he's got it.
Speaker 8: He's got on a TV show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he does have himself a.
Speaker 1: Program, so do you know? And yours is about real things?
Speaker 5: Yeah, mine doesn't premiere until probably September.
Speaker 1: Who else is working on that? Anyone that we know?
Speaker 2: Oh, Chip Pope, Yeah, you're writing partner.
Speaker 5: Chip Pope's the best Jimp Pope and Josh who's uh he's.
Speaker 8: On Silicon Valley okay.
Speaker 5: And these guys Krinskin al Schulers their show. They created Silicon Valley and they ran King.
Speaker 2: Of the Hill. So this is another Mike Judge who I've kind of gotten to know through Henry Phillips. I wouldn't say we're super tight, but he seems like one of the nicest most uh.
Speaker 8: Heath a nice cat.
Speaker 2: He is just a level yeah, because he's not it's it's a perfect type of fame. He doesn't even he is not that dick because he's not famous for his face. He's famous for his ideas and his voices.
Speaker 1: Well said, and he made up the best thing of.
Speaker 2: All time butt head, which you wrote on that what happened with the re I never saw the new episodes. I bet that was something that was fun and you were proud of and I never got to see.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we were excited about it was fantastic, it was fun to do, And.
Speaker 2: Why the hell didn't that sweep the nation.
Speaker 5: Everyone paired up with something that didn't do good and then I think they just like went another way with it. It didn't like make a big splash for whatever reason. But it was really good. It was as good as the original.
Speaker 2: So you would just with Chip. And how do you get these jobs with Chip? I don't. I've never had a writing partner. Do you Guys just submit packets and it's like, hey, we're a package deal, and here's stuff we've done before, here's pilots we've done before, and you kind of apply for jobs together.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's how I would think.
Speaker 2: It would be absolutely insane if it were a different.
Speaker 5: Way.
Speaker 2: Then I just assumed it was so you peek it together. I did like a little puzzle that's easy to solve.
Speaker 1: Wait, did you guys live together?
Speaker 2: Chip? And I know?
Speaker 1: No? You and Chris?
Speaker 2: Oh, Chris.
Speaker 8: He stayed at my place.
Speaker 2: There was just the black being Tortilla week and it was dumb. You know when people come and visit here, Like I'm not excusing myself, but people don't realize this city is impossible to navigate without having a car. And that was at a point where I'd never rented a car before. It just brought a skateboard like an idiot and got dropped off at his house. And it's like and Howard was nice and he took me to shows. One of them was at a laundromat, and that's where I first met you, Karen. That's funny, where people were just doing their colors and their whites.
Speaker 6: It was a it was a truly working laundry mat with people that were not interested in watching.
Speaker 2: No one was sitting expecting comedy. They were just getting ready to fluff and fold.
Speaker 8: But Fred Ormison used to do it with us all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's where a lot of Yeah, that was a great time. I was a little scared by the fact that, like that is the quintessential place where it's like, this is not where comedy belongs. When you're used to just doing it at the Velvet To Room in Austin, which is a comedy club. It's I'm like, oh, no, la is going to be hard. But it hasn't been that hard. I've been here for twelve years and it's been a breeze the whole time.
Speaker 1: It's it is kind of a lot like a laundrymat here. Yeah, I think that's a really good way to cut your teeth.
Speaker 2: I'm just waiting to dry out.
Speaker 6: My favorite one night was Howard did his whole set with a British accent at the Yeah, and you kept calling it the laundro and it was making it.
Speaker 1: It makes me laugh to this day. You're one of my favorite comedians.
Speaker 2: Ah thanks to me too. And lately I've been doing these white guy reggae songs and I'm so jealous of your line. Three eleven is the nine to eleven bands. It's in my head and I just want no, I'm not gonna do. You know me, I'm a purist. Ideas are property, and I would never know.
Speaker 5: That's one of those jokes that someone else could come up with. Okay, like a signature, I accept the use of it.
Speaker 1: It doesn't have your total stamp, the Howard Caramer stamp.
Speaker 2: It's just great.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean you know what I'm saying. Some jokes are just jokes because you found them. They're not like your idea.
Speaker 2: And I believe Drennan, who Karen collaborates with often, he has a three eleven style song that is about nine to eleven. So in a way he didn't know he.
Speaker 8: Didn't know about your joy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know. Well, now it hurts, doesn't It hurts more than me just doing that joke. He's not sitting here. He can't even defend himself. I just hung him out to dry, which is now a lot of people finish there to him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's that's theft, straight up, Howard.
Speaker 2: Karen's never said straight up in her life.
Speaker 1: I thought it came out really naturally.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry I called it straight up.
Speaker 1: Not tell me?
Speaker 2: How uh?
Speaker 1: Do you really want to know your album?
Speaker 2: Your newest album, not Master of Perremonies? Yeah, Chris, I did a little drawing for it. So it was Howard in like a performance stance, like he's like he's rapping. It was his hip hop album for dragon Boy Sway and uh and all these women this is him just no one's heard about. He's like, I need you to do an illustration. It's like I'm I'm doing my rhymes. But the rhymes I have such a they they attract women, the pheromones, and they float to it like Yogi Bear floats to a pie cooling on the window sill, Like I sexually am a pie that these women want to eat, and they float towards me, kind of limply with their arms back. That was the concept and I did do it. Yeah, it was hard. It was actually hard. I mean that perspective wise to do women in the foreground floating towards him. But I think we nailed it. We did No Mater Ceremony.
Speaker 1: Is that the most recent album.
Speaker 2: No, that's ten years old.
Speaker 5: Back I did since then I did have a summer.
Speaker 8: Then I did Douche Minutia.
Speaker 5: Yeah, then I did have another summer. Then I did Tears on My Shaft, which has been delayed, but.
Speaker 8: Then I did some of this, some of that.
Speaker 1: Oh no, and why did that get moved ahead of Tears on My Shaft just because.
Speaker 5: We didn't finish it and we put it off, and then summer was coming and we're like, we got to do another summer album. So we rushed the summer album into put auction, and then that one had some hits on it. I'm doing a video with Lance Bangs for a song on there called Google Clues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that guy.
Speaker 2: When are you doing that? That's amazing.
Speaker 5: We shot some of it and that We have an Indiego go campaign to get to get the rest of the case.
Speaker 2: Is indiegog kind of like Kickstarter except for more artsy performance stuff. Yeah, I'm just assuming I never even heard of it. I just I've never even heard of it. I just know how the world works.
Speaker 1: You guess it's context clues.
Speaker 2: I actually have a Kickstarter going for my motorcyb broken motorcycle, and it's actually raising money specifically for the kickstarter, so it's very confusing.
Speaker 8: The parts nobody likes my jokes.
Speaker 1: In this car You're dry. I totally thought it was real.
Speaker 2: I deliver. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So then which one which album is?
Speaker 2: What? Oh?
Speaker 1: God? That was totally a boy and a girl?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Oh And it was.
Speaker 6: Like I looked and said, that's a girl model standing there, and then she turned her head and it was a boy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, boy girl model.
Speaker 6: It's point being which one is a hegel.
Speaker 2: Seagull?
Speaker 5: And she go, thank you for asking me? That is on.
Speaker 1: Have a third Summer?
Speaker 5: No, that one's on the second one, which is have another Summer?
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, it seems like summer comes along often enough to where I never see you like scrambling during the other seasons, Like shit, what am I going to do comedy about sagain? I just I just like that summer keeps coming along, and then you don't have to get tired of doing that. It's like a treat every year. I will. Yeah, like, I have some jokes about Christmas that about you know, you know, being believing in Santa and not Jesus, And I'm like, I gotta wait. I can only do that every two months a year, but you're the summer is even longer. I guess what I'm saying is, I don't know what my point was, and now I'm in kind of a sweaty uh struggle to try and make sense.
Speaker 1: Just keep talking.
Speaker 2: I'll probably close it up here, probably close up that conversation. Uh, hey, both of you should come and do some of this year. I would love to.
Speaker 1: I saw you after some fest last year. Remember at Sarah's party.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah that's right.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Howard.
Speaker 1: Yelled at me about my gum choice.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's right. You had like winter.
Speaker 1: It was pretty awesome actually, because I've never really seen you drunk before, and you were shit face strong.
Speaker 2: I love it when he's drunk and he has opinions about football and how how it needs to be shot differently.
Speaker 1: And how sh like what gum, what are you talking.
Speaker 2: About so are you opposed to like new gums that elect the chocolate, chip mint or the peach or all these others.
Speaker 5: This was just a summer gum thing. We talk about summer gum, which is like you gotta have a gum and you chew it all summer.
Speaker 2: You stick with it, you can't.
Speaker 5: I mean it should be you know, not winter mint or winter fresh. It should be like try in tropical twist or strawberry bananas Ya.
Speaker 2: Not a peppermint that's a Christmas gum. Yeah, I understand that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's just like the joke.
Speaker 5: You just do it in the summer and sing with the gum.
Speaker 6: But do you keep just the one flavor like so that then that taste reminds you of that specific summer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the idea.
Speaker 2: It's a sensory tactile sensory trigger. It's also a kind of.
Speaker 5: About making each sum special. So you buy a new bathing suit, you don't start the summer in last year's bathing suit.
Speaker 2: Do you gotta make a thing of it? Do you practice what you preach with this? Do you go to the beach? How was your summer? Was it an active filled with summer type events?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, jet ski.
Speaker 2: What do you really write on jet skis what I did for the music video? Oh really, it's fun, right, Oh god, Yeah, I've.
Speaker 5: Done it before, but I don't do it regularly, but you know, I did it this past summer because of the video.
Speaker 2: See, I think technically an actual jet ski is the stand up kind with a swiveling handle thing in your foot. Yeah.
Speaker 5: We went and shot some footage at the World jet Skis Championships in Lake Havasu.
Speaker 8: Oh wow, And we had.
Speaker 5: Guys in Orangutan costumes. We had like the World Amateur champion dressed as in Arangul tank.
Speaker 2: Oh that's terrific. And they were popping back flips and really yeah, off of wakes.
Speaker 5: Or just still you know, the kind of those stand up kind you're talking about. Yeah, yeah, they can just kind of get some momentum going and then just start popping flips like one after the other.
Speaker 2: Because I don't like him. When I show up to some cabin, people got some watercrafts docked up and then they're like, do you want to go out on the jet ski? And it's not a jet ski, it's a ski do a thing that you sit on like a lazy man's snowmobile on the lake and it takes zero talent, zero balance, and I have no respect for it as a sport. Jet skiing, however, should be in the summer Olympics.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Vanilla Ice was a champion jets wasn't me.
Speaker 2: I think he was competitive. He was into motorsports vaguely.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like after the after the music career went downhill, he became champion jet skier.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's a perfect safety net, that's what.
Speaker 2: And then and it leads nicely into becoming a realtor. I think he flips houses now.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think he's almosh. Now that's the last that's the last one I saw.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I saw that episode where they were like not letting him touch the butter churn because of a neck tattoo that they they've had too much technology on it.
Speaker 1: There was he was impure. Oh, I love it.
Speaker 2: Tell us about your podcast who Charted? How's that been going? And how many years have you done it? Now?
Speaker 1: One of the great podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys, So fun, so great.
Speaker 5: We've been doing it over four years now, and it's me and Cool out beat the Eye Sock and we count down the top five of movies and music and more. And there's there's a lot of like.
Speaker 2: Sound effect prompts and things that the time I was on it, I did not know what I did not know. I had to throw a dart to match up with a sound effect. There was just a lot of you know.
Speaker 1: There's theme songs, all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 2: It's the opposite of our pack podcast, where clearly we don't have a plan, but how could we. We're in traffic. If we had a plan at some point it would get side.
Speaker 5: Swiped, like if who Charted Studio was moving down the street, we would never have any of that.
Speaker 2: So you are giving you are given credit to how difficult our podcast must be. Is that what you're doing right now? Seriously? Yeah? Yeah, because in the beginning, Karen and I would sit down, We're like, let's have talks. Are we gonna do an Alzheimer's podcast? Are we going to do one about moms? Are we gonna Oh, there's the man.
Speaker 5: Yes, it looks like a female model.
Speaker 2: It's hard to describe that person without seeming insensitive. But we used your podcast as an example, like yours or Borough Country. I have trouble saying that where it's totally. It's a format and yeah, yes, one man show of course for real.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I do a show Sclar Tissue. It's a one minute show about the scholar brothers and just for everybody to look for that.
Speaker 1: Where you performing that show?
Speaker 2: We got a theater right over here. And together they're in forensics and the scar tissue. It makes me think they're both like forensic cops.
Speaker 8: It's just more about the emotional depth of Oh.
Speaker 2: Okay, time, okay, not actually studying.
Speaker 5: Scars and portray both of them simultaneously, is it?
Speaker 2: How are they different? How is Randy and Jason? How are they different? One has glasses? Yeah, every once in a while, they'll both have glasses, and that's when I have to call them.
Speaker 5: Dude, them both have glasses. Let's want unless it was sunglasses.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't like what she's doing. I had expect better behavior out of a Honda driver. Honda, of course a sponsor of do you need a ride? Do you need a ride? There's a question mark at the end of it, coward, that's like who charted? Who charted? Have you thought about saying it that way? You should? We wouldn't get mad. Yeah, you can who charted? Who charted. Yeah, the time I was on, we talked about the top charting poster designs. You really cover the game. It's not all just top charting.
Speaker 5: We haven't done that in years. You gotta come back on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd love to come back on.
Speaker 5: How we just do like music chart, movie chart, and then a chart about the guests.
Speaker 2: Oh, that would be exciting because the guest doesn't know.
Speaker 5: Well, we get the questions from Twitter, people tweet questions and then we asked the guests.
Speaker 2: That sounds exciting, but I was I was. I was asked by a fan to have you elaborate on the difference between We touched on it a little, but why you like the ocean Morten space? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Well, well I love the I mean the the ocean is real and you can go in it and it's filled with life.
Speaker 8: And space is interesting from a if it's math, if you know math, if you've got a lot of math.
Speaker 5: Uh huh, or if you make up stuff that's in.
Speaker 2: It, like Interstellar, it's just made up.
Speaker 5: It's math and rocks.
Speaker 8: YEA space is filled with math and rocks.
Speaker 2: Rock plus rock equals confusing world that doesn't exist. I don't like it, do you believe in.
Speaker 1: The theory that there are some waterways that connect, like connect the different continents underneath.
Speaker 5: The ocean connect connect them like you could get caught in a jetway that sends you to like an Africa's amazing. What are you think.
Speaker 1: Like they think that, like the there's theories.
Speaker 2: There's awkwarfers under the tectonic play like that.
Speaker 1: There's under under sea rivers that connect.
Speaker 2: You mean you mean.
Speaker 5: There's aquifers under the tectonic plate.
Speaker 2: That would be horrifying.
Speaker 5: I'm just thinking of you coming with that black beans.
Speaker 2: At at at like a ted talk. Yeah, you guys, there's aquifers underneath the tectonic what's that?
Speaker 8: What's that on the tectonic plates?
Speaker 2: That's the beans from the one that I just say, I decided not to wash my Tecitanic plate and I gave it to you dirty.
Speaker 5: Hey uh m hmm, Yeah, there might there might be.
Speaker 2: Oh come on, Karen, he was just about to elaborate.
Speaker 5: You know, it's like raging waters in San Dimas where you get on those water slides, they take it from the top to the bottom. Yes, like that, but it would take it from California to Somalia.
Speaker 2: Even though we're kidding. Nothing makes me feel more claustrophobic than imagining going down on underground water tube to another country. I would that's horrible. It will be hard to breathe. It would be very hard to breathe.
Speaker 5: But Karen, are you saying there's just faster currents that give you like a faster trip.
Speaker 1: No, I was kind of. It's like basically a theory that justifies or like tries to explain the possibility that the lackness monster could be real, because it's like it's like just the idea that because the ocean is so unexplored, that there could be these like these waterways that connect so that.
Speaker 6: Mm hmm essentially, So like that's how the explaining that like a Brontosaurus type animal could have lived this whole time undetected.
Speaker 2: That scares the hell out of me. But I mean, I don't like the unknown.
Speaker 6: I like it, that's what that's I like the ocean because it's all just yeah.
Speaker 8: Fine, because it's been there your whole life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right. If it didn't if it didn't affect me so far, chances are it's not gonna in my forties. I'm gonna be forty next week, you guys, Oh god, it's the worst?
Speaker 1: Is it? Next week?
Speaker 2: That's the fifth O?
Speaker 1: Happy Birthday, Christ.
Speaker 2: No, I don't really want to celebrate it.
Speaker 1: I think you should.
Speaker 2: Howard's done a good job. Everyone everyone assumes Howard is twenty eight. He just no one knows his age. I've never asked his age. I would not be able to predict or assume his age younger or older than me. I just know that I've seen pictures of him in high school and it's like, wait a minute, did you drink from a fountain of some kind?
Speaker 1: Is he dressed like the Brady Bunch?
Speaker 2: He's happy?
Speaker 1: Did he get to high school in seventy four?
Speaker 2: Striped sweater's long hair, beautiful main affair. He's got some headshots on his own refrigerator.
Speaker 1: You've been inside his apartment?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, right right right by that headshots not up there anymore. But I know what you mean.
Speaker 2: It was like like twelve fifteen years ago. But it was a beautiful headshot. But and if anyone I watched it recently on YouTube, if anyone hasn't seen Austin Stories, it was such a great ahead of its time TV show, was so funny, so subtle. There was nothing like it at the time and no one was ready for it. And it's I always think, like, man, if that was on TV right now, well, there were people that say, oh, I've seen stuff like this before, but at the time, no one had seen anything like that. And it's so funny watch. Yeah. Yeah, Kramer is the same age in it somehow, but Chip is like this, Chip looks so different. He's like almost borderline chubby. And then there's no yeah yeah, he used to not be like a fitness guy and shape yeah yeah. And Beard and Matt Bearden was just a child in it and now he's like a bearded dude. It's just so funny to watch, knowing all these Austin guys, and also just.
Speaker 5: How many of the places have been torn down and other stuff is rebuilt like it's some people's email. Just about how it's like a time capsule of late nineties Austin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I showed up in Austin after you had already come to uh La to strike it rich, and I just the difference having visited there a couple of months ago. It is, uh it's unbelievable. It's just a big, giant, fancy city with Jetson's buildings, space buildings, but it's still the same place. I love that town me too. I'm glad I started comedy there me too. They did keep it weird, they did. They did a good job of keeping it weird. We were at a riot comedy festival here in downtown Los Angeles and there was a keep it Weird Portland versus Austin show and I thought it was blasphemous that you weren't on it, Howard, Why were you not on that show?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's funny because I did do that festival last year, so I'll do it again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't do it. I didn't even know about that show.
Speaker 5: So now that I've heard that, I would say, yeah, it would have.
Speaker 8: Been a fun one to do.
Speaker 2: It was really fun. It was fun. It was fun. This year, I'll do it. I'll do it next year. Yeah, maybe I'll do it too.
Speaker 5: You're always two weeks from a fest in the comedy.
Speaker 2: YEA early on you, it was like DJ Spumonty or something. He wasn't calling him. What were you calling Dragon Boys? Right?
Speaker 5: The first time I ever did it, I didn't know what the name was.
Speaker 8: And it was I was.
Speaker 2: You were I was? I was no, I was Automatic Flavor, the backup dancer, and we were at the velvet room and my I mean, this was Howard being nice and he's like, it's funny when you dance. But it was distracting, I think to people listening to his lyrics because I'm flopping around sweating. Oh thank you well one time one of my Oh wow, that started her love affair with me. I don't. I don't think she cares for me at all.
Speaker 1: Did you? Guys were like matching.
Speaker 2: Kind of But I did you know I broke my arm? You broke your arm in that show? Yeah. I was doing the diving worm and it's.
Speaker 8: Okay, you hurt yourself. I didn't know you broke.
Speaker 2: I did something weird and I was doing the diving worm and my legs hit the wall. I didn't realize how close I was to the wall, so I basically jumped in the air and did kind of a plank against the wall and landed on my arm. And it hurt at the time, but then it kept hurting for weeks, and then it started to get swollen and I went to the doctor and they're like, you have a broken arm. You've had a broken arm for a month. Weren't you in a lot of pain? I was like, no, not really, and then the yeah, yeah. The doctor just looked at me and he said, God, I admire you.
Speaker 1: Yeah that really happen.
Speaker 2: It all did, except for the doctor admiring me, just called me an idiot.
Speaker 8: I Well, I'll tell you.
Speaker 5: The great thing about you is that you will sacrifice your body for comedy.
Speaker 8: And I remember just.
Speaker 5: How much you just immediately just full on went for it.
Speaker 2: Well it's funny. I don't I kind of shy away from physical comedy. Now you're older, you should. Yeah, I guess that is it. That's back to me another reminder that I'm forty. Thank you. But it also just makes me think of Jerry Lewis, and you know I used to like him, but you know, I'm not much of a Jerry Lewis fan anymore.
Speaker 1: Do you think you're outgrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll still cross my eyes for a laugh. Though.
Speaker 1: I was really into the Garfield comics when I was twelve. They don't hold up mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I was into BC. There're two different schools. I don't understand those Garfield people. I was into BC and Dagwood bumpstead a billboard. Wow, look at that. It's a cool billboard. Are you guys doing the last comic standing? Did you go out for that? It's going on apparently? Yeah, it's real. It's uh, it's real vague, but I went in and auditioned. I had a good time at the Hollywood improvisation. Yes, it was quite fun. It's less pressure now. There isn't cameras swooping around. They're just like, just do comedy, no pressure, Who cares anymore? That's kind of the way there, and so it was really fun. Who cares? Who sees what happens? Maybe I'll be on a billboard someday. Guys. Then now's Now's where you're like, Yeah, I think you will be.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you could be the next elizas Flessender.
Speaker 2: I don't think, mainly because I'm able to pronounce my own name, I cannot pronounce her name. Try it, Eliza Shack Here, I can do it, Eliza Here we go, third times to charm Eliza's who there we go. I finally nailed it. Your name. Well, we're gonna pull up to power violence soon, right, isn't it coming up.
Speaker 5: Whoa man, I've used up all my comedy here.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, you'll think of something else. You want just to just be taken to the nearest snapping spot. I'm gonna do the show too. Oh you are I forced my way onto it. Oh cool, I'm not going to bump you. I will just Oh, I guess we got to ride home together?
Speaker 8: Doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we we You're in safe hands. This is fine. I like driving around talking. Isn't it fun? Is it weird at all that you're just talking to the back of our heads. No?
Speaker 5: I often think, like in the car, like, oh, is a waste of time? It could be podcasting right now.
Speaker 2: That's how we came up with the idea. Actually, Karen came up with it single handedly. What's twelve Monkeys? That's a TV show based on the popular movie. But yeah, but unfortunately it's on the sci fi network Tactics. Oh well, fortunate for you. That was when sci Fi was a better network because it wasn't spelled funny, it was actually spelled correctly, right, Karen, what's up? Do you have any thoughts on it? Like when I I.
Speaker 1: Was listening to Mark Maren's what the fuck.
Speaker 2: Dub dub dubbed the fuck. But I uh yeah, I uh you were terrific on scare tactics. Hey, dikes, there was there was a SPECIs that was a lot of bumps right there. That's what you get. What do you need a ride? You get? Oh? God, the la They really need to spackle those bumps. That time where you were like putting on lipstick and you were you scared the hell out of some guy. It felt bad for him. Yeah, that was good. That was called toilet Full of Scary. It's on YouTube, really, toilet full of Scary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what were you doing with lipstick?
Speaker 2: Well, basically it was a thing where.
Speaker 5: I played a guy who was a homeowner who called the plumber h oh, and then the plumber was one of our guys too, but the guy working for the plumber was like the victim.
Speaker 2: Oh, like his helper, Yeah, his helper.
Speaker 5: So they come in to do my house and I'm just kind of weird and despondent and I'm sitting out in the front room and they go, where does the bathroom And I'm like it's in the back.
Speaker 2: Then, oh, I think this guy's doing one of those things, one of the slow cross the street things.
Speaker 8: Yeah he wants to get hit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, deserves it with those capri pants.
Speaker 1: It was a cool satchel Oh look skateboarding.
Speaker 2: Oh that guy's doing at old school.
Speaker 5: But then uh so, yeah, anyway, they come in and I'm weird. And then the plumber says to the kid like once they get back by the bathroom, like, wow, that guy's weird. What's going on with him? I don't know? And then they the plumber says to the kid, hey, check behind the shower to see if the see if the faucet's dripping, And the kid opens up the shower curtain and the bathtubs filled with blood a dead body, real life maggots crawling on the body.
Speaker 2: And they see it.
Speaker 5: They freak out and then they go, we gotta get the hell out of here. And then as soon as they run out of the bathroom back into like that, there's a big back.
Speaker 8: Bedroom right there.
Speaker 5: I am in the bedroom blocking their way out, wearing a dress.
Speaker 2: Putting on lipstick, putting.
Speaker 8: On lipstick, and I got a weird wig on.
Speaker 2: And it is scary, even though you're in on it as the viewer, it's so scary, scary, scary how how important was it, like it would be for me at the end of that How important was it for you to talk to that guy and say, hey, I'm sorry, it's all a big joke. I hope you're not, because he was legitimately scared shitles.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, no, they were. It was important.
Speaker 5: We would do that with all of them, but some of them, even after it was over, we're like, they just kind of didn't want to look at you or be around you.
Speaker 8: Because you freaked them out so bad.
Speaker 5: You kind of put them in a fight or flight death situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they just made a high pitched lady shriek.
Speaker 5: And some of them would be high too, because it would just be like some kid who like smokes weed anyway, so he's like, fuck it, I'm going to help a plumber, Like I'll just like smoke out and then go do this job.
Speaker 2: And then he's so paranoid and freaking out. Yeah. There was a girl.
Speaker 5: We did one where it was a girl helping out at a party being catered at a house and then she goes into the room where the meat is supposed to be and there's a guy tied up getting hacked.
Speaker 2: That oh my god, and she was high.
Speaker 5: I could tell by her eyes, and she was just so bought into it and so petrified that even after it was over, she just couldn't look at me.
Speaker 2: How did they get people to sign like you just made it full of yourself, screaming and freaking out.
Speaker 5: Oh, I go because they go, hey, you were great, Oh my god, you were so great. But they tell them how great they were, and then they go, hey, do you have a friend you want to set up? Oh, they immediately get you onto setting somebody else up.
Speaker 2: And that was part of the episode. Who do you want to set up?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh, and they get they just they quit. They forget that they were so scared, and they just get excited about scaring their step mom.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh that's great.
Speaker 5: They some of them probably not. I don't know if they get like for the for the jobs that it would always be like they might it would be like fifty bucks an hour, if you know, to help this plumber for two hours.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, a temp plumber of course. Yeah, oh man, that was what. Yeah. You gotta watch those on YouTube and also watch Austin Stories. Yeah, the first season, it's all on YouTube. YouTube. Right. We're here at power Violence at the straight Jacket theater.
Speaker 1: Yeah, should we talk about your set for one second? Howard? I know you're going to freelance it. Yeah, you're gonna freestyle it.
Speaker 5: I'm going to talk about technology.
Speaker 2: It affects me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I'm going to talk about because.
Speaker 2: You, like Vanilla Ice are amish?
Speaker 5: What is that? What are you saying about? Why are you saying that?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I was just calling back to before when there's a.
Speaker 1: Series that she did on the Learning Channel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he becomes amish, he lives with Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, great idea, great television. So you're going to talk about technology. Boom, that's the opening culture.
Speaker 5: I want to talk about youth culture and technology.
Speaker 2: Do you do letters anymore? This one's a telegram? Dear Brittany's beers stop. I don't know if that's.
Speaker 5: I don't do those much anymore, but I should bring him back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were great, they were great, And well you're great, and I'm sorry that we're all exhausted. But I did something a little prank on Karen where the exhaust pipe, I actually have a hose coming into the car, so we'll we're all experiencing is some carbon monoxide poisoning.
Speaker 5: Well, it's been This has been a great last last night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it has been a great last podcast for all of us. You're terrific, Howard, thank you my friend. Let's hang out more.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I'm seriously down for that.
Speaker 2: Karen, you're my friend. Lets us hang out more? No? Thanks? Okay? Well did they only see each other for this? No, we'll be in. We're gonna follow you in. We just might stop recording because this concludes this episode of do you need to write? Oh? I think? Thank you for being a guest upon it. Yea. And for those listening, uh.
Speaker 8: Oh, can I tell them?
Speaker 5: Listen to Who Charted It's It comes out Wednesdays and Fridays on Earwolf. And check me out on Twitter Howard Kramer dot com k R E M E R and on Instagram Howard Kramer and Howard Kramer dot com. And go to indiegoogo dot com to help with the video with plants Bangs.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and you can.
Speaker 5: Buy Austin Stories DVD at Howard Creamer dot com.
Speaker 2: I'm interested in that.
Speaker 5: And you can buy any one of my six music albums on band Camp or iTunes like Master Pheromonies like Master peremonies or something newer or something newer, and there's new ones coming out.
Speaker 8: And I have no stand up problems even though I've been doing it.
Speaker 2: That's okay, everyone's doing that bullshit.
Speaker 5: There are a bunch of this is like, there's probably been more stand up albums in the last two years than in the history of stand up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone I know has an album out Yeah on Vinyl The Media of the Future Vinyl. Thank you for listening to this digital broadcast of Do You Need a Ride that concludes this episode you've been listening to Do You Need a Ride? D Y N R.
Speaker 1: I you want way, mad you do way.
Speaker 3: We want to be there, doesn't matter how much baggage you claim. Give us time and a germanol and gay.
Speaker 4: We want to send you off INSTI. We want to welcome you back home.
Speaker 1: Tell us all about every scared.
Speaker 2: He was it fine? Melbourn?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you need ride?
Speaker 5: Do you ride?
Speaker 2: Do you need With Karen and Cress