Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by self Ceremony, a self care brand that celebrates putting aside time to honor yourself and celebrate the self ceremonies we all need in our lives.
Speaker 2: Self Ceremony has some bomb ass herbal smokes.
Speaker 3: They have a lot of which, by.
Speaker 1: The way, if you don't know what erbal smokes are, they're smokes without cannabis, which I thought was really strange, to be honest, but I've smoked them and I really enjoy them and the idea.
Speaker 3: They have one that's like calm. They're all kind of.
Speaker 4: All different uses.
Speaker 1: They also have crystal dildos or crystal pleasure tools ones one one pleasure one which I have a rose quartz one and I've been using that along with my Yoni egg, which has been an interesting exploration.
Speaker 2: And I think what's really cool about the wands is each of them has different healing aids, so they do different things if you align yourself.
Speaker 3: They also have.
Speaker 4: Oh Guasha tool. Have you ever used those?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Like the ones? Would?
Speaker 1: No? No, it's not what It's like j aid and you use it to like massage your face and it brings circulation back into your skin.
Speaker 4: And it encourages like a circulation and.
Speaker 1: Youth and really just like honestly, I use it right here, like like on my like that jaw. Bitch, I clench my jaw so much, ask anyone. People always like, bitch, why are you clenching your jaw? But with the Guasha tool, it feels like it helps kind of like break down that pressure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I also rend my teeth at night. Also, what I really enjoy from self Ceremony is that they have crystal pipes.
Speaker 1: Yes I know, and they're really beautiful. Yeah, basically their bomb. Go check them out self Ceremony dot com and let them know good Moms that.
Speaker 5: You I.
Speaker 6: Know you don't lose it, just snop. Come on, baby, you guys to get into with you don't hope with the player with the cool.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Good Mom's Bad Choices.
Speaker 3: I'm Erica and I'm Nila.
Speaker 4: Happy Wednesday. Hey y'all.
Speaker 1: Hey, Hope you guys are having a wonderful week. Hope you guys set your intentions for the week. Hope you guys have been working on that manifestation man woman, whatever the fuck you want list partner manifestation. I worked on mine on Halloween, which I don't know why. I just like I came home. I had such like a crazy Halloween with Iri, like going to like one hundred and four different events, and at one point I was like I was like, was like, don't you want to leave?
Speaker 4: Like we can go home, we can like cuddle, we can eat your candy. Like I really sold it to her and she was like, yeah, I do.
Speaker 3: I was like, fuck my god, loft the thing earlier.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so we came back and we were chilling.
Speaker 1: I was in my robe and I was like, you know what, I need to go ahead and really focus on that list and make that goddamn list.
Speaker 4: And once I started a girl, I couldn't stop.
Speaker 3: Did you see that?
Speaker 4: Did you see my list? It was like two pages long?
Speaker 3: Wait is when I was did you post it?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 3: Is that yours?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I thought it was somebody else's.
Speaker 2: I I've screenshotted all the ones people have shown us for reference.
Speaker 3: I haven't done it, but I think I need to do it more than ever.
Speaker 1: By the way, my best friend Sebastian is sitting in on this episode.
Speaker 3: Rolling a joints.
Speaker 4: So if you hear a wheezing man, that's him.
Speaker 3: That's what I was like, you know, I didn't really know what you meant by the wheezing, but you're right, it's just there.
Speaker 1: But uh, I say, oh, that's so that list. So I just had time and I was like, you know what, I it's so important to write it down because I really had to think about every I was like, don't miss a thing. That's my specific, like my mom said the specific. Yeah, so I was being Hella specific. And I got a few more to add to the list after this week, this yesterday, I got a few to add to that list.
Speaker 4: Need to be even more specific, and you know you I don't. I feel like it's a list you can keep adding to.
Speaker 1: You can take things away too, because I think there's times when you encounter the things you think you want and then you see them and you're like, you know, actually I don't really need that.
Speaker 2: I know somebody Uh I reposted somebody's list and somebody else was.
Speaker 3: Like, she wants a robot. So I went to re reference the list.
Speaker 2: I was like, this bitch doesn't know her self worth No, bitch, she knows what she wants.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she knows exactly what you want.
Speaker 2: Now, this is not a robot. This seems about fair. You could add twenty more things. Yeah, fuck that shit. It's going to be specific, and I think it's not so much like looks and perfection as it is just specifics. That shit is important, And I'm actually like thinking about the list that I'm creating in my mind, I'm actually grateful for the fuck that relationships that I've had and the people I've had, because that's how I'm going to know what to put on this list specifically.
Speaker 1: Speaking of which, oh wait, we have we we haven't talked in a while, actually since before my birthday trip.
Speaker 3: Oh we haven't, we haven't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my birthday trip was wonderful. Thanks for asking.
Speaker 3: Why don't you recap that a bit?
Speaker 1: Oh? You know, I just made a lot of really great decisions for myself. It was all about everything I wanted to do, and I did that. I may have fell in love and Tuloom, I'm I haven't talked to him every day.
Speaker 3: Every day? Right now? What are you gonna call him?
Speaker 4: T Loombay?
Speaker 3: Taloombay. Yeah, as Africa is Africa, I.
Speaker 4: Found another African. He's from a different region. No more Nigerians. I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: No, I just I had a great time, Like I had such a good time with my friends. You know, I had a lot of self realizations out there, like moments of like, you know what I'm not I don't. I realized, like I said, I think before this episode, like before we were when we recorded our last episode, that my year of thirty two for me really felt like years of like trusting my instincts and my gut and like not questioning myself when I know I feel something. So I was on the beaches of Tulum and I suddenly like remembered that I have this audition that I was supposed to send a self tape for and it was like a really big audition. And I've been like battling with this back and forth for a while because I've been acting pretty much my whole life on and off. And I was like, you know what, I don't want to do this anymore, Like this doesn't make me happy, Like I hate auditioning.
Speaker 4: I'm done with auditioning. And my friend was like, what You're done, and I'm like yeah.
Speaker 1: And I came back to LA and I fired everyone and I had not fired, but I told them, like, you know what, I'm done like I just need a break, but it might be not be a break, it might be an extended break. So I feel like I've already started to start to cut the things off of trim the fat.
Speaker 4: For thirty two. And then I also we ended. Me and my girl ended up.
Speaker 1: We were on this boat all night, all day and may or may not have you know, been partaking and party things.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 1: We got back to that crib and everyone was so fucking tired. But I was like, no, we're not, but this is not ending. So I got my friend dressed, literally physically put her clothes on, did her makeup. We went to this party and we did her makeup. Yeah, Like it was like I literally got her dress. Like I'm not kidding, but I'm so glad we went because yeah, I ended up meeting this guy and like we had a really great I had like a tuloom like love affair. It was fucking awesome. It was like Sundance all over again. So yeah, we're gonna meet up in New York and oh, you are this true? And he's younger than me.
Speaker 4: You know I don't do younger. Oh I know, you know I'm I discriminate young.
Speaker 3: Beye to Limbae, that's very African, young Bay. We're just making up.
Speaker 4: God he ever hears this.
Speaker 2: Honestly, bitch, you are like vacation school or okay, you're like international dating app out of town luck. Okay, you talk about you're not lucky, You're lucky as fuck. Every time it's bitch goes somewhere, she comes back in love or she at least has a good date somebody.
Speaker 4: There was a post, I responded. I responded.
Speaker 1: I was like, first, make sure you go to a location where there's probability of meeting a sexy man is high aka the Islands. To Loom, I said, to Loom or Spain, But you meant did me meet somebody in like Europe? And then I said, and then I said, musical events or film events like festivals.
Speaker 4: Here are the because there's always a mix of people, you know.
Speaker 1: And then I was like step two, drink tequila. Step three, have no inhibitions the end. So because on this trip I had zero inhibitions, I definitely indulged for sure in everyone. I was before we fell in love, that was before I met my husband.
Speaker 2: How long were there fell in love and married?
Speaker 1: I got straight to work and then I found my husband because I manifested him because.
Speaker 2: She had no inhibitions. See, ladies, what happens? We have no in ambitions.
Speaker 4: I mean he does check off on a few of the things that I had on the list, so, but it's to be seeing the rest.
Speaker 2: He's going to come to New York. Yeah, because he's in DC. Okay, you know when I go to New York. You know what I'm doing?
Speaker 4: What are you doing?
Speaker 3: I'm resettying my Hinge location.
Speaker 4: You do need to do that.
Speaker 3: Mama's in town.
Speaker 4: Turn that just so whack.
Speaker 1: I just got a message from someone from Hinge like that. We connected like three weeks ago. He's like, hey, sorry, just checking. I'm like, figure goodbye. Why I'm bad too though, I mean I go check it for like a week.
Speaker 4: Why I swipe?
Speaker 3: Okay? But I have complaints about Hinge.
Speaker 2: First and foremost, fuck Hinge because the person said the email alert me to say I'm most compatible.
Speaker 4: With It's never accurate.
Speaker 3: It's always the person I'm the least compatible. Who the fuck is magic? I don't want this.
Speaker 2: We look like cute.
Speaker 4: My baby looks on that thing.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: And also, you know, after you swipe, like you like people too.
Speaker 2: Much, it will pause you for the day to Okay, that's never happened to me.
Speaker 4: How many swipes are you doing?
Speaker 3: Well? No, you did tell me that one time.
Speaker 4: No, that's on rayah.
Speaker 3: Oh well, I thought, well it did occur to me. I am obviously like you. I'm always giving somebody.
Speaker 4: A chance, like I say, I'm so U No. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I started to change my approach, like can I see myself looking at this face every day?
Speaker 1: When I did go check back into my compatibility section or what the fuck the person I had swiped on? I was like, wait, I swiped on this. I'm like, hey, are you trolling me? There's no way I swiped on this nigga. No, no, they might be trolling you.
Speaker 4: Who was he was? Oh my god?
Speaker 3: Where did he go?
Speaker 2: Remember? Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know I remember.
Speaker 4: I found we were talking about I'm talking. Wait, yes, I don't to go back there.
Speaker 3: Why Why did I match with him? Is what I want to know.
Speaker 1: I don't think he's on my list anymore. Maybe he deleted me? Can you delete people?
Speaker 4: You can only hide them?
Speaker 2: Well, one time this guy is like you know my ex and blocking I was like, I don't even have no idea where you do.
Speaker 1: I think it's when you hide them, because you can hide people, and I think when you do that, you're deybe he found.
Speaker 3: The love of his life.
Speaker 4: I don't know whatever.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I went on I didn't tell you. I went on a date, and frankly, I was hungry.
Speaker 1: I literally needed to write a booklet When Jammia's Hungry, A Story of.
Speaker 3: First Date, It's so good. Starts today When Jimmia's Hungry, A Story of First Date. It's like it's like a children first and last Dates. I fucking love it. Nobody tries some ideas.
Speaker 2: So I went to this date and this guy's like, oh well, because I was like hungry right then, because I know it's like such big image.
Speaker 3: I was like he's like. I was like, want to go now? He's like, okay, well how about eight?
Speaker 2: It was like six. I was like, well, I'm starving. He's like, what was my daughter? I'm like fine, I'll wait. So we're talking. Keep in mind, he's like fifty. He's like older white guy. He's cool though, but he's like also like seven feet tall. I was not suspecting that I meet him at the She's fare that he suggested, and there's like this little white lady sitting next to us, and I can see her like, look over, like, wasn't expecting this bitch to walk.
Speaker 1: Like a five foot two black woman seven foot tall white man, and like I probably appear to be, like do you probably had on your high heel.
Speaker 5: Heart.
Speaker 3: No, I was wearing jeans and boots.
Speaker 2: So anyway, he keeps talking and somehow we mentioned someone and he's like, oh, because a friend of the family dated so and so.
Speaker 3: And immediately I know who he's talking about.
Speaker 2: So I'm like who, And he says a person that I know and that is friends with my baby daddy.
Speaker 3: And I'm just like I know him or whatever.
Speaker 2: But I'm like, if only this gets back to him, like what the fuck are you?
Speaker 3: Well you didn't know, I mean I didn't know. I mean I was not a big deal.
Speaker 2: Okay, So anybody jump ahead, like two days dinner was great, fantastic, he was an excellent sushi order. But you know whatever, So he tries to hang out again. I'm tired. I'm like, I don't think it's gonna happen. He's like, he says, I was like, and I have my kid or something. He was like, well, you can put it to sleep and I can come over. I just stopped responding. I mean, I wasn't that compelled either way. But he was like, did I say was I too forward?
Speaker 3: I'm sorry?
Speaker 4: Hello, Yeah, don't tell me what I need to do. Thank you. If I want to do that, I'll do that. But I I don't know you.
Speaker 3: You think I'm gonna invite you to my house with my kids. No, the fact that she was suggested absurd.
Speaker 4: No, that is absurd. That is absurd.
Speaker 3: Jimmila's first in last date ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I have so many now that you're just saying, so Psycho, I am.
Speaker 4: A book of first and last anyway. Yeah, so that's that's updated on.
Speaker 3: Me for everybody. Know, there's a lot of gaps left out of this. Shut up. I'm gonna be the first sacond. That vacation was like some Swiss cheese.
Speaker 4: I'm not ready to share. I know when I'm ready to share it, I will share. Four years had a great time. That was awesome.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, any other updates, any of the current events.
Speaker 3: No, I was gonna say something absurd, you would kill me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 1: I almost have like a thousand things, and then I said.
Speaker 3: You know, I was gonna say, we should plan a New York meetup.
Speaker 4: You know what, we should plan a fun up meetup.
Speaker 1: You know, like what does that ship where we like break ship a break room. We are going to do that, I know, like asap, like I needed. I saw a coupon on the internet. See it's a sign.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I thought it was for.
Speaker 4: Sure, but also the internet's listening.
Speaker 3: I think that specifically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually I know this is not to be true because I saw on somebody else's phone.
Speaker 3: You saw it on someone else's phone.
Speaker 6: No, that's whoever's phone is around, and you like, you're talking about things I talked about shoes.
Speaker 1: I bet you in ten minutes, I get I g Yeah, the specific designer you spoke of.
Speaker 3: Is anybody fighting against this? Our rights are being infringed in You.
Speaker 4: Can go to the setting and I don't believe that. No, I believe it's there. I don't believe it works.
Speaker 3: You do you do you ever? Do you ever see on your cell phone?
Speaker 2: If you like, jump out of an app or something, it kind of like the recording microphone in the top left corner, like linger.
Speaker 1: Because that little weird you see you see sometimes it will pop up at weird time.
Speaker 3: You see that it's recording.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, I've seen it pop up and.
Speaker 3: Is this a good show? You the recording ultimate?
Speaker 4: But you have seen it too, right, you know I don't like that. Ship Halloween was fun. Halloween.
Speaker 2: Oh I did a family costume with baby Daddy.
Speaker 3: We did Adam.
Speaker 4: It was so good. She was so invested it.
Speaker 3: She's like, call me Wednesday all day.
Speaker 4: I love her.
Speaker 2: And then I was like, guess well, it's time to get dressed from home and she's like I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you know what we got that?
Speaker 4: She was so scared we were trigger treating. She was.
Speaker 1: I was like super Girl over here, like I was usually the scaredy cat, and she's like, Luna, don't worry, it's okay, I've got you. I'm wonder woman.
Speaker 4: It was hilarious.
Speaker 2: Me Mom, I'm like, what kind of non scary Adam's family are you.
Speaker 3: I got a couple of texts. I got a text.
Speaker 2: From somebody like you have a boyfriend. I was like, oh no, I have a baby daddy that participates in Halloween and family Halloween.
Speaker 4: With questions and ship oh god, I know.
Speaker 2: It would be like you dedicated a text to buy audios.
Speaker 3: Do you have a boyfriend?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're doing a family fucking costume, right.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 4: Wait, what were we gonna talk about today?
Speaker 3: College?
Speaker 4: College?
Speaker 3: College? College?
Speaker 2: So we asked for suggestions. We guys are really good ones. It's gonna take us at least six months to get through them all. Hellelujah.
Speaker 4: College.
Speaker 2: So someone asked that she's in college and she feels like she feels like she's going for her family, and she doesn't know if she really wants to go, and then she just then she uh proceeded to remind us, you guys didn't finish college, right, like, damn, you know our business I forgot.
Speaker 3: So so we were.
Speaker 2: Just, uh, I was revisiting my decision to go to college. But Eric is like, I was like, you know, the fact that we didn't we dropped out. She's like it wasn't even a thought. I just it's just something I did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was like it was a gradual dropout.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Mine, that was like a gradual drop until point I was like, bitch, you're not going yeah, like yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: We're just not gonna waste that money this time because I was barely going.
Speaker 4: I was not committing. Yeah, I mean for me, I feel like it's so hard, Like.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I feel like college at seventeen, when I was in college, I barely even knew anything about myself anything, like to put. I think we put people in college and we want them to figure out what they want to do for the rest of their life, and like it's so much pressure. But now that I'm an adult, like I finally feel more focused and like in line with my interests. So now I can be more specific about the classes I want to take, Whereas now then it was like you don't feel like you have a choice, you have to decide, and like this is it? So I mean honestly though, when I left college, it was because I had a better I had a great I was getting a great job opportunity that I felt like I couldn't pass up, and it was it was like the best thing for me. Like I'm glad that I left college.
Speaker 2: I'm definitely glad that I left. I think I think you have like college people and then you have non college people. You know, for some people, you can go to college, you can knock it out, you can finish it high I wasn't.
Speaker 4: Making sure enough me. That's what it is, like really.
Speaker 3: I can barely focus as right now.
Speaker 1: I want to go back to school, though I do too, but like then, I don't know. And I did good in high school, like I had good grades, and like college was always so important.
Speaker 4: We were talking about college when I was like eleven.
Speaker 1: That's when we started to talk about college and think about future schools and right, like that huge deal because I went to like this really bougie what's it called element middle school and they were always they were just like trying to suck anyone's moneyway, Like that's when they start those like rich white privileged people, that's when they start just deciding like Okay, I'm gonna start investing in this college when she's this age, so they know who she is. And by the time it's time to graduate, we've already created this relationship. I've been donating to this fund, you know, Nigga, I know Julie mm hmmm, And you start really trying to make those connections. It's a whole Even like this elementary kindergartenship feels like it's.
Speaker 4: A lot of socializing and know it's like Jesus Christ. It's really just very political.
Speaker 1: I think about Iri too, I think, like, what would she what would I do? Am I going to encourage her to go to college? Part of me is like, well, obviously I'm going to encourage it. I'm not gonna say just I don't know. I think I think I'm going to encourage it.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think I feel comfortable just being like, we'll figure it out on your own. I definitely want to at least encourage it and then allow her to figure it out on her own. I always think, because she might, she'll probably make the decision she wants to make.
Speaker 4: Anyway, you know, it's.
Speaker 3: Making the camera shake. Sorry, sorry, I can't.
Speaker 2: It's crazy because in high school, yeah, I knew I didn't have a choice but to go to college. And I remember having this conversation with like mine and my friends, and she's like, I don't know if I.
Speaker 3: Want to go, and I was thinking, like what a privilege.
Speaker 2: I was like, it's different for me because I'm like a black woman, and I think I have to be like that much more prepared in the work field.
Speaker 3: That was really you do that? It's true.
Speaker 2: I had I felt like and I had been. It even drilled in me, like that's what we're going to do. There was no question if. Like and I know as I go to a black school because both my parents went to a HPCU, and really I was like, I mean the fuck up out of here, like yep, first thing smoking, I'm out.
Speaker 3: And I think for that meant for that in that man like manner.
Speaker 2: It was good for me because I got out on my own fee, you know, like I became independent and I was in a different city. And really why I stopped going to school is because I had to start working. And honestly, I had been in school. It was like my was it my freshman year, second semester? Freshman year or second year? Second semester? And I went to go apply for the dance team and I had to get transcripts and they're like it was April. They're like, you're not financially enrolled this semester. I was like, what do you mean, I've been going to class all semester.
Speaker 3: I live on campus.
Speaker 2: They're like, you were never find your classes were dropped in February. You were not financially enrolled. There's no transcript. I was like How did not one teacher tell me black schools? Not one teacher tell me I wasn't on the like the roster.
Speaker 3: So I'm in shock.
Speaker 2: I go on the hallway and I call my dad and I'm like, please tell me you didn't pay my twition and didn't tell me, And this nigga was like, let me call you right back. I was like, this is not happening. This is not fucking happening. So I just remember going back to my dorm and telling my homegirl.
Speaker 3: I'm like, yeah, I gotta get a job.
Speaker 2: It was the next day we went out and literally, like the first we went to like a couple of restaurants. Because I had dated a girl who worked at PF Chanks and I knew she made a lot of money serving.
Speaker 3: I was like, I think we should try to be servers like Chris. We went to Hula Hans. They hired us on the spot.
Speaker 2: I forgot to take a jacket. The day it was real cold. We got off the train. This I was like, the next nigga who pulls up on us. We're getting in the car, it's too cold. I'm not saying no anymore. This crazy nigga pulled up on us.
Speaker 3: He was like, yeah, I get in the car.
Speaker 2: I was like, let's go. We got in the car and shit smoked me. Anyway, the point is I didn't really like have a choice. So I was just like, oh, okay, people are they're doing functionhit and I got I'm out here now and I wasn't going home. And we got a job and I started making money and I start working at the w and I was making bookoo dollars and I was like class, who what Oh.
Speaker 4: So you weren't were you trying to pay your school or you were just.
Speaker 3: Well that's I was like, you guys need to figure it out.
Speaker 2: I knew I wasn't gonna be like and that's another thing looking back, like HBCUs are super expensive, and granted I got that experience. I never took out any loans, but I have friends who too got loans and completed but are paying it back, like thirteen hundred dollars loans.
Speaker 3: A month, eight hundred dollars loans a month.
Speaker 2: And I like, if you're going to finish school, I think it's best to go to community college. If you're right sure enough know you want to do do two years and then transfer.
Speaker 3: I think there's what.
Speaker 1: I feel like that would have been a lot more like better for a lot more better for me, better for me. I think moving to New York at seventeen was so overwhelming for me. I was too immature to be like, first of all, living on my own and in a different city, all these all this pressure suddenly like.
Speaker 4: It was just it was too much.
Speaker 1: I feel like there needs to be Like I think there needs to be like a year between college.
Speaker 3: I don't know. It was the best time in my fucking life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you didn't finish.
Speaker 1: No, I just mean, like, then that's what we're talking about, Like she wants to finish college, Like if you have, she's questioning if she should finish or not.
Speaker 2: If you have, if you're halfway through, if you have the discipline to do it, if you have the financial means and you're there by all means to push through.
Speaker 3: However, if I feel like, do.
Speaker 1: You what's your what do you want to do? Do you have any idea? What are you gonna do if you're not in college? Do you have some sort of plan? Like Jamila's plan was she she did what she had to do, She worked, and she paid her You paid your shit off for me, like I got an opportunity that was like I'm going to be making more money, I'm gonna be traveling, I'm gonna be assisting this person. Fuck it, don't just drop out of college to do nothing, is what I'm saying, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean because essentially, when I look back at I like I worked, I'm waitress. But then I was like, Okay, I've had enough work experience to realize. I was working at a hotel in a bar, and I saw people who had been there fifteen years, eighteen years now their daughter was working there, and it was just a thing like years and even when I went back, those people are still working there, and I really, for me, I was like, well, I'm not going to be doing this forever.
Speaker 3: I can't see that.
Speaker 2: And so I came back to California, even though initially I felt like that was failing.
Speaker 3: I felt like I didn't want to come back with nothing.
Speaker 2: I had this emotional connection to this degree that I didn't really have a purpose for. And I came back and I was like, I'm just what were you going to school for PR? Public relations? Which I guess this is very PR. You got my phone it's not an airplane moment it is. I thought, oh.
Speaker 4: That's my.
Speaker 3: That's is it recording?
Speaker 4: Can you check it and see if it still is sure?
Speaker 1: Because sometimes when someone calls it like stops it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh. I felt like I like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I had this thing like I don't like starting stuff and not finishing it, and I don't like being defeated.
Speaker 3: And I felt that's what I had done. But I came back.
Speaker 2: I went, I told myself when I was going to learn lashes, I had a plan. I wanted to be mobile. I knew didn't want to work for anyone. I didn't want to tell anyone to talk to me, and that, you know.
Speaker 3: That's that created freedom to like really think about what I want to do.
Speaker 2: And I just had this thought the other day, which is crazy, and I was like back there the time, I would judge people who are like starving artists, like I know people who are like so dedicated to their craft, Like I'm like, bitchbo, don't you just get a job, like you're you're tripping, like you're on somebody's couch. But now, like honestly, right now, I can honestly I understand being insanely passionate about some something that you have really no desire to do anything else. And you know, like I could get a cocktail job. I could like I have experienced during other things. But I have to keep telling myself is that being true to my purpose? And I think we have these like dedicated ideas of what we're supposed to do and what timeframe, and that's not really that doesn't always honor our true purpose.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 1: And sometimes you don't find your purpose at seventeen. A lot you don't find you don't know what you want to do at eighteen.
Speaker 2: I mean, but lord, I wish I wish I did have that have the freedom to explore it, because maybe I would have found that much sooner. Like had I not just thought one plus one equals too good a degree, do this, then that then I would have if I had the freedom to be like, Okay, we'll figure it out, like try this, try that, what do you what are your interest in?
Speaker 3: Maybe we could have come upon this sooner and then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I don't feel like education has to end. I think it's the way they frame college. It becomes this like this is the end all be all You've reach you've reached this is the moment you must decide, who are you done.
Speaker 3: For the rest of your life?
Speaker 4: What happened?
Speaker 3: I don't know, how did you do that?
Speaker 4: Okay with.
Speaker 1: I think there's one end it's about Yeah, I think it's above the toilet, thank you.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah.
Speaker 1: But it's like that, it's like this big defining thing that's supposed to define the rest the trajectory of the rest of your life. Who you are, what, how you make your money, how you define yourself?
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, so I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like, I truly feel though, like you need like a year off before you go into college. There needs to be like a in between year that's still educational but prepares you for I don't I don't even know if there's an amount of time actually, because I feel like it's taken me to reach my thirties to feel motivated to go back to school, to feel ready and I'm not quite right, and to feel like I'm like ready and to feel excited.
Speaker 3: About it right, you know, fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I don't want to overwhelm myself.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing too, Like I control how much I want to do, whereas in college you must.
Speaker 4: Take minimal schedule, like I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna take two classes, We're gonna start there and that's it. So but I definitely, how do you feel like you you know what I mean, We're we're at the age now where we're starting to well, we're starting to invest in time money into education for our children. And I think for me that's why I also college felt like I had to do it because my mom invested so much into my education, the schools that I went to, like the links she went to make sure we could afford them, the NAT Prep. Yeah, like that, I felt like I had to, you know. So, and I'm kind of already starting that with Ira. I have her in a school that you know, is more expensive than the norm, the norm school, it's not free. And now we're talking about kindergarten and they're talking about twenty three thousand dollars for kindergarten or this school. It's like, oh, you can go to send her to a magnet for free, or you did this. This is great here, and this is great there. And it's just so confusing and also ridiculous because I'm like, is it worth investing that much in kindergarten? And then some people say yeah, start now, get used to it now, and then other people say, oh, you can wait. But in all and all, I know that I'm going to invest in her education and I'm going to encourage her to go to college. I mean, if she wants to take off a year or I don't know, like maybe I just have to, Like I wouldn't be disappointed if she didn't, but I'm going to encourage her to continue to educate herself, right, don't just stop, because that's another thing. It's like it's like you either keep going or you're just done learning, right, right, And it's like, I think we can keep going and learning. It doesn't happen to be in the form of a university. But as long as we're keeping this going while you figure it out and then maybe come back to figuring out what you want to do, we're.
Speaker 4: Getting a job doing or like okay, start a.
Speaker 3: Bus experience, yeah, start a business. Then we are in the era of entrepreneurship.
Speaker 2: So I think that's that's where we're headed as a like a people.
Speaker 3: But also it's.
Speaker 2: It's kind of scary because I have like friends who have younger cousins who are like in their twenty early twenties and like they have like one friend that's like a makeup blogger and they're you know, and it's like almost a disillusion to like working hard and like the reality of.
Speaker 3: What successful is is.
Speaker 2: Where they think you could just take pretty pictures and then you're gonna make money. And I think that's also like that's what I fear about this generation, Like they're not really understanding like before there was this pressure to be successful in school and then go to college and like actually have some backing to whatever you're trying like direction, But now there's like this misunderstood.
Speaker 1: Well, you have culture, you had to have credibility in whatever, right, whatever your career path was. Gonna be your doctor, you better have gone to med school. Like you want to be a lawyer, you need to go to law school. You want to be in PR, you need to have gone to either marketing or PR to become an expert at that.
Speaker 4: Right. How do you become an expert at social meeting R? Right?
Speaker 2: And I'm just thinking, like, oh, well, I have X amount of followers, Oh I'm gonna go viral, And that's not realistic, I don't think so. I think it's like kinda also produces this like kind of can produce this delusional, annoying customer service person that I seem to always fucking get when I go.
Speaker 3: Out and I'm like, who trained you?
Speaker 4: What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Like, I think the millennials, like, have you ever had customers Okay, well.
Speaker 3: I'm a elder millennial.
Speaker 4: An elder millennial.
Speaker 3: No, oh g oh, but I know you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Have you ever had like a really bad customer service experience with someone who's just not equipped to do customer service because they're just young and dumb and on their phone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I'm like, who the fuck? Lets you get a job?
Speaker 2: And I'm glad do you have one? But like, I think that's kind of the culture that's created. So that's my only thing that feels weary about, like telling kids don't worry about going to college because now you just have I don't know, theresein be like really smart or really dumb.
Speaker 4: It's true because that do so do we answer her question?
Speaker 2: I think it's just about going within and not doing anything for anyone else and actually having a plan. I definitely think if you have a notion of what you want to do and you think it could be successful, then go that route because you don't want to waste time doing things that are not really I.
Speaker 1: Think you need to ask yourselves a few questions, like why why is it that you don't want to go to school? Is it because you want to focus on something else? Do you maybe are your interests different? Do you want to take a year off to travel and explore? Can you, you know, can you afford to do that?
Speaker 4: Like you know all these Can.
Speaker 3: You maybe go to school and study abroad and do that?
Speaker 1: Can you pick up a trade that will facilitate you know, you figuring out?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I think yeah, you be smart about it.
Speaker 1: Don't be brash, because honestly, college isn't going anywhere.
Speaker 4: You can always go back to school, babe.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, Okay, my daughter's crawling across the table and the camera.
Speaker 3: Shut.
Speaker 1: If you want to check out Iri, make sure to join our Patreon Patreon dot com search Good Momsbad Choices dot com to watch this full episode.
Speaker 2: Also send up for our newsletters exclusive drops in the newsletters, drop shops.
Speaker 1: We haven't killed it on the newsletters We've been sending oll not we Jamila sending a lot of newsletters.
Speaker 4: She's on it. She's on Faya faya.
Speaker 2: I think maybe you'll even include like a more detailed thirty two and our dear diary, Diary of a goodness?
Speaker 4: Is that my homework? You're giving me homework right now? Great?
Speaker 2: She hates something stiller, She has to commit the things that I said on the podcast.
Speaker 1: Okay, I know you always do this out loud and then I'm like, now everyone's waiting for it, like our exclusive merch.
Speaker 4: Time for hories. Oh stories, Oh do you have a do you have a horror to share? Are you sure? Are you positive?
Speaker 2: Shy?
Speaker 4: Are you shy? You can't be shy? On good Moms? Are you there eating my baby's candy?
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, baby, Okay, okay, I'm almost done five minutes.
Speaker 3: What okay, I forgot?
Speaker 4: What's about? Is it good?
Speaker 3: I think it's good?
Speaker 4: Okay, go ahead, I think.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay.
Speaker 2: So me and my new current boyfriend of three years first started talking initially as we knew so now remember initially, as we knew some of the same people, and he'd always tried to slide in the d what.
Speaker 1: So me and my now, oh they knew okay, they knew okay, they had mutual friends.
Speaker 3: He was sliding in the DMS.
Speaker 2: He isn't my usual type white loud, but we'd always send music back and forth, and his music history knowledge of every genre is fire, which is huge to me.
Speaker 3: So I agreed to meet him one day.
Speaker 2: Me too, So I agreed to meet him one day when I was at the beach and he was nearby. He smoked a few joints together, and he was honestly one of the funniest, non judgmental, very important, later most open minded, and kindest people I'd ever met. So I was open to us going on a proper date, which he kept suggesting throughout. Plus he was a really cool style and a super confident very important. So anyway, the day of the first proper date rolls around and we meet at this pub bar over the water on an early summer evening, and it was lovely. For some reason, when I drink sometimes I can't get on a level, so I either can't get drunk, or the same amount of drinks sends me under and I'm blackout drunk.
Speaker 3: So either she can't get drunk or she's blackout drunk.
Speaker 2: It's weird, though, because my blackout drunk doesn't always seem it, and my friends don't always pick up on it at first. Also, I could be really wild, which is obviously heightened by drinking. I think I suggest shots, and I'm drinking a lot. So when it comes to the time, the place is shedding around when I am, I suggest he comes back to mine. I was temporarily living at my parents and where my old school Jamaican grandma also lives. Okay, Also, he was really not sure in questioning my home situation, but I was very dismissive, and he was questioning it. Yeah, like why are we going to your house? Like any nigger should be. I was very dismissive and like, it's fine, come on. So he cautiously calls a cab, which we get into, and then suddenly I cannot remember my address at all or where I live, and we're both blackout drunk at this point, so we drive around for ages. I totally confuse. I'm totally confused, but the night had been amazing, so we're all over each other. I have no idea how, but we finally reached mine and go in the backway to the kitchen where my grandma likes to vibe with a little drink and watch most TV most evenings. She's super extrover and my parents, how in, my parents' house is a bit of a party house, as it's quite big, with me and my younger row historically always bringing friends back after a night out.
Speaker 3: My family.
Speaker 2: My fam are all super fun and chill, but my grandma's pretty suspicious but polite.
Speaker 3: About me and this guy quizzing us.
Speaker 2: But I'm playing it down a lot in my drink and dumbness, thinking I'm slick. Anyway, My now partner is silently like what the fuck, as I'd not really warned him, but I kept whispering and that it's cool, And after chatting with Grandma for a while, we sneak upstairs to go chill as my friend needs to stay.
Speaker 3: I'm twenty six at this point, these.
Speaker 4: Little gems partner twenty.
Speaker 2: Six anyway, I charge upstairs and starting out reggae, to which my stepdad, who has no idea what's happening show, shouts to turn the fuck off. This super guy's mortified at this point, but as cool as I thought I was, I reassure him that it's fine, turn the music down a bit, and literally take off all my clothes now as a personal assurance.
Speaker 3: I didn't shave before this date.
Speaker 2: And not being in a relationship for about a year, and also with it being the first few warm weeks of the year, it was wild down there. Another thing I was I saw no need to shave as I was heavily like day one on my period, so sex wasn't even on my mind for this date. Listen, I'm all for period sucks, but the way I just sprung myself and my wild bush on my period on the sky with no warning was just a lot. He was down, obviously, but after a few strokes, he's like, what the fuck, there's blood everywhere, and I'm just like, sh don't worry, don't worry about that. Have you have you never been with the real woman before?
Speaker 4: Oh god?
Speaker 3: She's like, oh my god, laugh all out girl, time of bitch. She said, what the fuck? I know?
Speaker 2: I really think I'm some natural earth Erica Badu Impress. That night, my attitude was like, you are lucky to be with this real woman who happens to be.
Speaker 3: On her period.
Speaker 4: Bitch.
Speaker 3: Alcohol.
Speaker 2: Anyway, He's pretty caught off guard, but I guess respects what I'm saying, and we continue to have.
Speaker 3: Sex and eventually fall asleep.
Speaker 2: The next God yes, the next day, he wakes up late for work as you I and I can only vaguely remember snippets of the night, each part absolutely crippling me to think about and not really wanting to know or think about my rampage. He's really sweet and cool and calls a cab, but promises to call me later. The way the shame was playing out in my head, I was just thinking this all needs to be put to the back of my mind and never brought up again. Annoying that it's with someone that I gel with is the shame, the blood I guess, just everything I gel it's so perfectly, but I genuinely can't face this when I'd been so cool and together around him all.
Speaker 3: The way up to that point.
Speaker 2: But of course I had my whole family to face up to, who had been waiting for me the next day. She's probably loud, I know, the way I had to apologize and play it all down.
Speaker 3: I wanted to die.
Speaker 2: I ignored his text too all day, but he just found it hilarious and cute and persisted with me till I stopped being proud and text him back. And now here we are for so long though he was not allowed to bring that night up. I forgot to mention when we wake up naive to the whole night. There is blood everywhere everywhere, as though there's been a massacre, as if waking up naked in bed together after a first date, trying to be polite and piece together that you know you were wild as you were wild at isn't already awkward enough in a normal situation.
Speaker 3: I just had to get out.
Speaker 4: Woful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, basically, it's like my lipstick story, but period blood.
Speaker 3: Everywhere with your grandma little brother.
Speaker 4: But her parents probably were used to that ship, right. I don't want to know. I don't I don't know. I don't want to hear how we have sex.
Speaker 3: I'm cool, I'm cool. Mortified.
Speaker 4: Yeah no, don't bring a niggas back to the house. I'm cool.
Speaker 1: Get your own house. Go get your own house. I don't like, I don't care what you do. Just don't do it here.
Speaker 4: Unless we're on a family vacation and they have no other choice.
Speaker 2: I mean, just keep it, keep it cute, keep it cute, just keep it.
Speaker 4: Keep the cute. Oh man, All right, well, thanks for tuning in.
Speaker 3: Guys, catch you next week.
Speaker 2: Follow us on Instagram, Good Mom's Underscore, Bad Choices.
Speaker 1: Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter and check out our week monthly events Good Moms by choices dot com. You can watch this full episode at Patreon.
Speaker 4: You know you want to watch us talk our shit, not just listen to us.
Speaker 1: Smoke smoke one with us?
Speaker 5: Is that it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, catulating, bye.
Speaker 6: Bye snoop dog closed. Then that's what I'm groomed. Then you got my pictures on the wall and your room and girls be complaining.
Speaker 5: You keep me booming, But.
Speaker 6: Girls like that want to listen the pathoon use a college girl, but that'll stop you from doing. And come and see the dog get in the hood near you. You don't ask why world? What a crew win? Twist up my fingers and wear a dog door went on the east side.
Speaker 4: That's the wool.
Speaker 6: Watch you. Nothing I do with new to you. I smack up the water if they.
Speaker 5: Roll to you.
Speaker 6: This baby girl, you're so beautiful.