Speaker 1: Lok at Our Radio is a radiophonic novela, which.
Speaker 2: Is just a very extra way of saying a podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm fiosa fem.
Speaker 2: And I am ma la munios.
Speaker 3: We're podcasting through another Trump election year. We've been podcasting through election years, a global pandemic, civic unrest, political controversies, the Me Too movement, the rise of TikTok, and we are still here.
Speaker 2: We're not done telling stories.
Speaker 1: We're still making podcasts. We're older, we're wiser, We're even podcasting through a new decade of our lives.
Speaker 3: Since twenty sixteen, we've been making locat Our Radio independently until we joined iHeartMedia's Michael Dura Network in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: From our lips to your ears, fall in love with Locata Radio like you never have before.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Season nine. Love that first listen.
Speaker 1: Ola La Loka Motes. Welcome to Season nine of Loka Dora Radio.
Speaker 3: I'm diosa and I am Mala.
Speaker 1: Loka Tora Radio is a podcast dedicated to ourchiving our present and shifting the culture forward. You're tuning into Capitolo Do two fourteen.
Speaker 3: Last time on Loca Tora Radio. We interviewed Priscadriguez about her new book Bis and Primas, which explores the Latina archetypes that we find in most of our families.
Speaker 4: I think I write for Latina's I think it's more a millennial Latina for sure. Latinas who went to pwi's Latinas were raised with really strict conservative Christian parents, like who understand when I say speaking in tongues like that's the Let's.
Speaker 3: Tune in, leave a comment, subscribe and share with a friend.
Speaker 1: Almost every election cycle here at Lokata Radio, we produce a series called Latinas in Politics. On today's episode, we're going to be talking to multi hyphenic creative Life Garcia. You may also know her as Lose Warrior. She used to host a podcast called Let There Be Loose. She is also the author of the book titled Wealth Warrior. She has been creating workshops about financial literacy and the stock market, specifically for marginalized communities for the past several years, but now she's shifting into local politics in the state of Texas.
Speaker 3: Linda Garcia, in this new chapter of her life, will be running uncontested in the upcoming November elections for the office of Texas State Representative for District one oh seven, and she is slated to be sworn into office in January twenty twenty four. She had a very unconventional journey into elected politics. We're going to hear all about it and how a text message at a Christmas party led to this new political position for her.
Speaker 5: Stick around.
Speaker 3: It's a really good interview and you're going to want to hear all of it.
Speaker 5: My name is Linda Garcia. I am calling from Dallas, Texas, and I am currently also the Texas State Representative elect for the Democratic Party.
Speaker 3: So Linda, tell us about your journey and how you got into politics. What brought you to this place where you decided to run for office.
Speaker 5: You know, it's really interesting because in my early twenties, which was about twenty five years ago, I did have this intention of I want to be a politician one day, and I had big aspirations. I thought one day I'll be mayor of Dallas. I'm originally from California, but at the time I was living in Dallas, and I started working for the City of Dallas, and I got to meet some city officials and just kind of get to see some of the behind the scenes, and I decided, Okay, absolutely not. I will not enter politics. It's for sure not for me. So I moved away from the idea. And then after graduating college, a few years later, I met I had a friend that was a lobbyist, and he took me out to dinner. He's a Republican and he had mentioned that he thought I would be great to become a candidate one day and represent the Republican Party, which I thought was so wild, like wow, there's really people out here on the hunt looking for potential candidates. And I really was impressed with I mean, we're talking about twenty years ago, this idea that they understood where Latinos were headed and that they should definitely start seeking viable candidates. So I thought that was really interesting and I was like, no, I'm not doing that. So already there were two instances in my life where the idea of politics was around me, like the energy was around And then this last time, I was asked by our current state representative, Representative Victoria yavik Riado, who is very well respected here in the state of Texas. She had a very serious inquiry and asked for me to strongly consider becoming a state representative and running for office, and honestly, I was flattered, but there was a big part of me that was terrified of the idea, and I was I was kind of in limbo. She then started talking to me more about it, and I'm like, oh, this is the very serious inquiry. I asked her how much does a state representative make, as you should ask when anyone approaches you for a job. And when she told me that a state representative in Texas makes seven thousand, I was like a month and she said no, a year. I was in shock, and I started to do a lot of research. I started to research how much state representatives get paid in other states, and there's like, the comparison is crazy. And then to start to look at Republican states versus democratic states was even crazier. So I saw immediately the system at play. And then on top of that, I checked to see how much the per capita income is in my district, the district that I would be representing, which is about one hundred and ninety five thousand Texans, And in my district the per capita is twenty four thousand a year, and the Latino population is at sixty five percent, and so I really started to think, how are you going to find someone that can afford to actually run for this position? And then and that was a no brainer for me. I did it because the position only paid seven thousand a year, and I saw the system at play. I understood immediately why I was losing all of my rights here in the state of Texas. And more importantly, I see the Texas as a leading state in the sense that if Texas passes a law, then other Republican states follow, so we are in a very important territory. And then the setup of the situation was that I probably had a ninety five percent chance of not having a candidate run against me, so it would be like a straight slam dunk. It was like an episode on Scandal, honestly, if I could describe it. And I was given about three hours to make a decision. I came home, had a family meeting, emergency family meeting with all of my family members, very serious conversations on how our lives would change. My sister in law, who is a she works in politics. She works for Congresswoman Jasmine Crockett and has for years. She's also asked me to run for politics. She's also made serious inquiries and thought that I would be a good candidate. Of course, she was like, you have to do this. So I had the support of my family and I was terrified. And that's how it happened. That's how I went into the journey. It was literally an overnight decision. I was then thrown into registering for the position. Cameras are on me interviews. At that point, I hadn't really established any policies or what I wanted to do for my district. It all happened so fast.
Speaker 1: Don't go anywhere, lookamotives.
Speaker 5: We'll be right.
Speaker 2: Back, and we're back with more of our episode.
Speaker 3: So this article in D magazine talks about you at a Christmas party in December of last year when you got a text message from Victoria Criado at that time the state rep for Texas House District one oh seven, and that she wanted you to replace her because she was running for a different seat. But she had never met you or spoken to you, but she still wanted to reach out and ask you to take her seat. Why do you think she had that confidence in you when she had never met or spoken to you before. What was it that led her to believe that you could do the job.
Speaker 5: Sure. So it was actually a close contact of her that reached out first to builter out this idea. And this contact of hers his name is Ramido. He has an organization out here called Solmost Dejas. I was on the board for almost Dejas.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 5: Ramido had also been semi pushing me to run for office. I mean, I guess this is like a repeated theme now that I'm talking it through. This is definitely a repeated theme in my life. And I feel like that was probably initially more his confidence because I was sitting on the board and he was familiar with my work and he walked her through my work. When Victoria and I met the following day, one of the things I told her is like, I'm not changing anything about me because I don't know what this position in tells or what they're demanding or wanting from me. I don't understand the political process. I'm walking through it brand spanking new. So it was really important for me to communicate that I was going to maintain integrity on who I was. But one of the things that Victoria talks about is that she could see that I had been doing the work, and so the work means that I had been taking steps to work with our community and shift current circumstances in our community. And so for a lot of people, that is what a public servant does. That is what someone in politics aims to do, hopefully, if their heart is in the right place, is take action and make changes. So I know that they went through my work and my you know, my socials and all of that, and she was fine with the way I am and said that's okay, I see, you know, I've seen your stuff. We still would like to move forward and ask you to consider taking this role. She also, you know, is a strong politician here as I mentioned, and she has aspirations to move into bigger spaces to make a bigger impact. So I'm sure that was also a big part of the decision.
Speaker 1: Can you share with our listeners that maybe aren't familiar with what is a representative?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: What does it mean to be a Texas State rep Democratic nominee? What does it entail, what does a job look like, and what does the district look like?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so basically, rights that we currently have here in Texas, like the abortion ban, all of those are voted on by an amount of representatives that represent the constituents or the folks that live in the representatives district. So you're basically entrusting your voting rights on a state representative to vote reflecting your personal beliefs, morals, values, et cetera. A state representative can also come up with bill ideas and present those bill ideas, or carry someone else's bill idea and get those bill ideas past and then turn into law. So it is basically a body of folks that vote on specific bills that then become law, and either we're getting our rights taken away like we're witnessing here in Texas the majority of the time, especially as of late, or we're implementing additional laws.
Speaker 3: So while you were living in California, had you ever considered running for office in California or is this something that was destined to happen in Texas? You mentioned becoming like the mayor of Dallas and being a politician in Dallas. Why Texas and why not California.
Speaker 5: That's so interesting you asked that question. That is such a good question. You know, places carry energy, there's just a completely different energy in California. I was born there. I lived there until twelve years old. At twelve, I moved to Dallas. At twenty seven, I moved back in pursuit of creativity. I used to write, produce, and direct local TV commercials here in Dallas, Texas, and I left back to my home state to pursue film. I went on to launch the first Latino movie studio called Bantaion Films. I got to work on a lot of films via that. I then went into Netflix. And so for me, what California had was a lot of creativity, a lot of pushing back against the resistance that I was so familiar with here in Texas. Texas has very strong energy of assimilation. And it's almost like when I'm here in Texas, which I've spent both my entire life. I've spent time in both places, and a lot of what I did deal with here does feel a little bit more formal and more political, even just exploring the stock market and finance that just has much more of a Texas energy. And then when I'm in California, I get to explore something that is more spiritual and more creative. And it's these two aspects that live inside of me and I feel like it's because I've gotten to live in both places, and I feel like it's it's also I don't not that the word fun is the correct word. But I'm exploring these two very distinct parts of my brain. A part of me that gets to be an intellect and dive into data and numbers, and then this other part of me in California that gets to be free spirited. And I'm just both both spaces. But when I'm in California it pulls one side of me, and when I'm in Texas it pulls another side of me. I don't know if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: That does make sense, And I want to ask you something because now you've shared, right, you've lived in both states, one blue, one red, and we hear and I don't know how true it is, but sometimes you know, to be a little bit of a masochist. I will read the comments on Instagram and people. I'll see comments that say, this is why I'm leaving California and moving to Texas, right, this is why I'm leaving a blue state and going to a red state. And so you know, we live here.
Speaker 2: We think it's great, yes we do.
Speaker 1: We don't live in a red state. But as someone that's lived in both, you know, what has been your experience of living in a red state during all of these huge crucial changes that have happened in Texas, like the abortion band and like so many others.
Speaker 5: So let's talk about some of the positives first. Some of the positives for me here in Texas is the ability to build generational wealth. That does come so much more easier. You can purchase a home, it is much more affordable. The quality of life increases, and when I'm talking about the quality of life, I'm specifically talking about a roof over head, roots and vegetables that I can now you know, afford much more comfortably that are organic, and that type of space. My son goes to a private school. Things that I can afford that I was never able to afford in California. That felt so much more difficult, right, So that is the biggest row. It was definitely a sacrifice in the sense of, you know, the weather and my friends and the creative space that I love so much, and the accessibility to creative spaces at this stage in my life, at forty four years old, I just felt like it was the right move for me, And yeah, there are definitely pros and cons, And again, I think something that is really interesting is just the difference of Mexican Americans here versus and I'm speaking from a Mexican American perspective as a child of immigrants versus Mexican Americans in California. So I guess navigating those two energies and seeing the pros and the cons out here in Texas, it's very behind in terms of progress and the ability to freely express ourselves in comparison to the beauty of California, continuously pushing against resistance and against a simulation coming up with, you know, our own culture in California, going all the way back to bachuco DA's and to low writer and Cholo movements where we were continuously pushing against forms of assimilation and resisting. We're here. It was life was easier if you assimilated.
Speaker 1: We hope you're enjoying this interview.
Speaker 3: Stay tuned, We're back, and we hope you enjoy the rest of the interview. On the topic of assimilation, there are so many levels to assimilation and getting into politics, I feel probably has its own type of assimilation. And what you've already shared, what you said when you first considered, you know, entering office, was that you're not deleting anything off your Instagram. You're not changing who you are. Why was that so important to you and the Instagram specifically, because I feel like there are people out there who maybe are not on Instagram the way we are, Maybe it doesn't hold a place in their lives the way it does for us and for you, And so I'm curious why, specific the social media space you wanted to protect your archive and your identity and what that meant for you.
Speaker 5: You know, we had just I mean, I was very outspoken after October seventh in terms of being pro Palestine, and so I think that when I was saying Instagram, what I was really saying is I'm not deleting my pro Palestine content that I have highlighted. That was really really important for me. And of course everything else comes second in terms of other things that I've spoken up on and had been very vocal. But that was a way for me to protect that space, and I had just come off of speaking on it. I was also, in my sphere, the first one to speak up about it. I also received a lot of backlash for speaking up on it. But I also came from a background where my sister in law had gone to the West Bank, you know, in twenty nineteen, and she had been educating us on Palestine for years on what was taking place. So when October seventh happened, I already had all of this context, and I just felt like this was it was going to be really important that I not waiver and not be bullied or feared into a space where I lose myself for the cause. So in other words, that I wasn't going to give up a part of myself so that I could be a politician and vote for certain progressive things, but not be able to vote for all progressive things. That's really important to me, and that was what I was mostly. That's where my head was fresh off of that conversation and where we were at the time.
Speaker 1: I love that you mentioned being pro Palestine. There's this pressure once you get into politics to lean a certain way or have certain views, And you know, that's so admirable, right because I think that pressure is intense. When you feel like there's that backlash can really affect It's a domino effect in our lives in some ways. But it's really about like, what do you really value and who do you really value? And how important are your values to you? And I feel like that is so aligned with who you are as a person and now running for an elected position. You've also had some photos be weaponized against you, So can you talk about that as well and tell us what the photos are. I know what they were for, but if you can just paint the picture for the listener, sure.
Speaker 5: So I am very inspired by black culture. I always have been, growing up in southern California in and you know, the I was the nineteen I was born in nineteen eighties. So my first experience with something that wasn't like all like uh, like my mom for example, we grew up watching Spanish television and like Quen Senerra and delenovelas, and so the first time I got a taste of something that wasn't fully white was black culture like Yo, MTV raps and so n WA and just all of this rich culture where I felt I could look towards that didn't that felt more closer than me than watching telenovelas with my mom or wal Mercado or whatever it is that she was watching at the time on Spanish television. And so I have embedded that in my book. I have rap lyrics at the beginning of every chapter, and I have pictures that I took in a Cugi sweater and in these pictures we were promo the book and just promoting the brand, and there's you know, holding a stack of money like a telephone. It was the funnest shoot I've ever done in my entire life that I love. I love that shoot, and I have to admit, though, there was this initial part of me, because I am human, coming into the space and this like desire to like I felt the desire in my head to like want to like wear long sleeves and cover up the tattoos that I have on my forearms. Like there was instantly this automatic like how should I do my makeup? And immediately I was like, Okay, I see, I am acknowledging that you're afraid to walk into this space being authentically you. This is what we're pushing against. First is my own thoughts, my own limitations about how I like to show up as a person. And so I'm in the space, and there were there were moments where I would look at my stuff and I'm like, this isn't political, like, why am I in this space? I do not fit in. I just felt like out of you know, the cool Latino elected click and sure enough, all of my everything I was feeling was projected. And d magazine did a really stupid little piece on me that was maybe like two paragraphs, and they made fun of me holding the money like a phone, stating that I believe that I could use the phone a stack of one hundred dollars bills for money. I'm a koujie swear a sweater wearing Latina. And then the rumor started amongst lobbyists and politicians throughout the entire state, and it was getting back to me from other lobbyists and from other politicians what other politicians and other lobbyists were saying. I was so livid, and I was at the same time hurt, you know. I sort of felt bullied and picked on and judged for pictures. And honestly, I'm not new to this. I'm used to this. I am a teen mom. I had my first child at fourteen years old. I've been in gangs. My family has stopped talking to me. My father still to this day doesn't talk to me. There's always been perceptions of who I am, and very rarely does someone actually get to know my intellect or what I believe. And so I just felt like, here's this thing showing up again, and I do what I feel I do best, and that is be very honest and use that thing that someone is using against me and just flip it, transmute it. I'm an alchemist at the core, and I just took that energy and said, this is what's happening. I'm going to slap this picture. Instead of being shamed into a of what I might be, I'm going to just use this as a fundraiser and I'm going to amplify the picture as much as possible. I put it on a tote and I'm like, I'm going to fundraise from this. And so that is sort of what it's transpired in that.
Speaker 3: I love it. You took it and you turned it into merge.
Speaker 1: I was going to say the branding.
Speaker 3: The branding is on point and consistent at this stage of your life. Have you been inducted? Have you been sworn in?
Speaker 5: I should say I get sworn in second Tuesday in January.
Speaker 3: Okay, amazing, So in twenty twenty five, and when you when you were first approached about entering political office. Earlier in the interview, you talked about not necessarily having like a platform, of course, because you weren't running for office. But now at this stage of your political journey, what is your platform, what are your your points and your goals, and how are you engaging the community that you're going to be representing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I wanted to make sure that I don't veer away from what I already know. And I have spent the last ten years really focusing on the stock market, focusing on understanding investing, focusing on understanding money, and then focusing on economics. And one of the things that I had been so frustrated with in the last five years is listening to the Democratic Party talk about economics, and it was just very apparent to me that they didn't understand the nuances of economics and how certain things work. And I get it. It's when you are in a space where you're a politician, you're expected to know everything about everything. One of the things that is going to make me unique on the Democratic side is that I'm going to be one of the only Democrats that understands economics in the way that I understand economics. So my biggest frustration in the last five years is that I have been watching monetary policy on a federal level being written and marginalized community members and lower income community members, which is mostly made up of marginalized folks not being accounted for and not being advocated for when it comes to monetary policy. So that is going to be where I stay. I'm going to stay in my lane. I truly believe that at the core of every single social issue, which social issues is what the Democratic Party focuses on. At the core of every single social issue is an economic issue, and economic issues is usually what we lean on Republicans to run on, and I'm tired of that. I think it's very important for us to start looking at economic impact on social issues and mitigating and solving for those issues from an economics perspective. Otherwise we're going to continue to have the issues that we have as we've been seeing, and they're only going to get worse and worse and worse because we're lacking more resources, we have less money, we're dealing with more inflation, we're watching the middle class go away, and so yeah, I feel like what I am going to be focus on is more of a bipartisan issue. Think that that's going to be really beneficial because hopefully I will be able to demonstrate the economic issues to social issues. And I think that when it comes to speaking to Republicans, which is who I need support from if I'm going to pass any of my bills here in the State of Texas, that hopefully I can speak their language and they can understand the perspective and it's not so emotionally charged. So that is sort of the plan.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for giving us that breakdown. Excited to see the work that you're going to do to wrap up. You know you're going to be sworn in in January, but we still have elections coming up in November, both presidential local state level elections.
Speaker 3: So what would your.
Speaker 1: Advice be to someone that maybe knows someone that isn't going to vote or says my vote doesn't really matter, what would you say to them?
Speaker 5: Oh, my goodness, this is such a charged topic right most, especially right now in the state of Texas because we currently have just recently gotten data that the Latin community is the majority in the state of Texas. On top of that, Governor Abbott just purged over a million voter registration applications, which means that a lot of people are currently now suspended and unable to vote. So this is what we are facing here is in Texas, and I'm telling you these men they get ideas from each other on how to suppress voters. And so while you might be in California, or in New York, or in a space that is very safe pertaining to whatever it is you're going to vote for, I want to urge you to still vote because that we are closely watching what demographic is voting and what demographic isn't voting, and we fall so far behind when it comes to this demographic and whether we like it or not, whether we consider ourselves the political people or not, politics is impacting our day to day life. It controls every decision we make when we get into a car, put on our seatbelt, drive, whatever it is. It is controlling so much of our lives, and so it's important for us to start too, I think, wake up this giant that has been asleep for such a long time. It is crucial that we start to show up and demonstrate our power and the actual impact that we have.
Speaker 3: Linda Garcia she's done it all, folks, I mean, you have lived many lives. You are now shaking things up in Texas politics and eventually like national politics, I imagine. So I thank you for coming on the show and sharing your journey with us. And how can folks keep up with you? Like where can they follow you? Not just your personal work, but now the political work that you're doing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you so much for asking. This reminds me of something that I think is really really important. One of the other reasons that I'm doing this is because I want to see us reflected in different colors and different styles and different vibes. I want for women that see themselves reflected in me, reflected in space like this one. And so it's really really important that we take a close look at our local politicians, most especially if it's someone that you can relate to, and strongly consider donating to their campaign because a lot of us don't come from generational wealth. As I mentioned before, this position only pays seven thousand dollars, which means I am continuously working to fundraise, and so please, I urge you to pay attention to your local politicians and fundraise. If there's someone that you find alignment with You can find my political instagram at Linda the Number four Texas. There's a link there. If you feel called, five bucks to my Act Blue. It will take me a long way