Speaker 1: Native Land is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Welcome home.
Speaker 4: Y'all.
Speaker 1: This is episode forty three of Native Landpod, where we give it to you directly our breakdown of all things politics and cultures. We are your hosts, Tiffany Cross, Angelu Ray, and Andrew Gillum. I think I get at least one of the three of those points correct. Either of them are going to show up.
Speaker 4: I'm in the South, baby, It's the dirty South. It's the dirty, dirty South.
Speaker 5: Gross, yeah, will take it.
Speaker 6: Welcome.
Speaker 4: Hey, I don't mind country.
Speaker 7: I know you don't you our country.
Speaker 1: I love the country food, mostly.
Speaker 8: Because country and southern.
Speaker 6: You know, it's very different.
Speaker 4: It is different.
Speaker 7: My grandmother used to try to say I'm not country, I'm Southern.
Speaker 6: I was like, girl, you actually.
Speaker 1: Your grandma probably was southern.
Speaker 7: No, this is granny, this is this was Eddie Rye's mom. She could be very countrysometime it might have been a little sitty, but she was also very country.
Speaker 4: Andrew Southern, I am.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: All these trees are down, this stuff pops up around. Allergies for me around weird times. So who knows that you know a little a little, a little teer here and there.
Speaker 4: But mostly all things are good.
Speaker 1: How are you on your part of the country, your side of the country.
Speaker 8: I'm good.
Speaker 5: I am eager to talk about a lot of things today. You did say a little tear here and there, so I don't want you to think I didn't hear that we're thumbtacking that.
Speaker 8: I want to go back to that.
Speaker 5: A lot of people talk about our mini pod last week, and so I.
Speaker 4: How many last week?
Speaker 8: Well, we talked about like emotional stuff.
Speaker 1: We could throw that in the conversation too, because I didn't get the feedback. In fact, why don't we What is on your mind? I know there's a lot percolating in the atmosphere, but TIF what's up for you?
Speaker 5: I definitely want to talk about the debate, obviously, the vice presidential debate, but I.
Speaker 8: Think we have to give a little bit of time to this war.
Speaker 5: You guys know, I've been talking about this for weeks now, maybe months, saying how nervous I am that at some point Iran is going to respond and then the United States will be pulled into a war. And that is definitely percolating. But first and foremost, I definitely want to talk about the debate because we all have very different takes on it.
Speaker 8: So I'm eager to get into that.
Speaker 4: Angela, what's up with you?
Speaker 7: All I want to talk about is the debate because this name of a five seconds left in this election. Yeah, and I'm waking up at this point in the middle of the night, like I am so very anxious about lots of about this election.
Speaker 5: I've been on the stable end of some of Angela's anxiety about this election.
Speaker 7: Yeah, she's gonna have to tune it out because I ain't shutting it down no more.
Speaker 5: It's been impacting my hope, and so I want to address all the all our feelings around here.
Speaker 7: We can address it. I just I'm gonna tell you I cannot hide it. It's written all over my face, has written all over, my spirit has written all over, my sleep has written in my nasal passages. At this point, let's get into it, okay, And there are there are There's something that I think that we can do to be additive to saving this democracy, and that is hitting the road, which we are doing.
Speaker 6: So I'm excited about that too.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: I always find out about where we're going and what we're doing on the show.
Speaker 4: On the show.
Speaker 1: Person asking for I don't want the advanced lead. You're like, look, just give it to me.
Speaker 8: I would rather the audience, like, y'all learning when I'm learning.
Speaker 5: We having an authentic experience conversation on native lamp PID, so we're gonna be surprised together. Text and I'm not looking at it until I hear it.
Speaker 7: No, no, no, I'm saying I'm getting text. I just told you all about the text.
Speaker 8: Was Oh, I see. I thought you were saying we're texting, that's where we're going. I'm like, no, I want to hear it.
Speaker 6: Y'all focus on this show. I want to text you on the side right now.
Speaker 1: Guess what listeners and hosts alike we're about to learn as we're in the show. Can we start to I want to first bring us up to speed about what we are hearing knowing on On the pod, we talked about last week where we took a little bit of a diversion from politics, which will not be this episode.
Speaker 4: We will stay in politics, but took a.
Speaker 1: Little diversion and talk a little bit of heart mind body, spirit, soul in our.
Speaker 5: Really brief about that because I know we want to get to the debate, but I just it was a quick break from politics and it was well received. And I think sometimes, you know, we forget that we are full, you know, rounded, full human beings, and I think people appreciate when we talk about our humanity, which also impacts our pol which I think played out a little bit on the stage last night. Can I can I jump into the debate because I want to talk about.
Speaker 6: Can I just ask one question orients? Andrew?
Speaker 7: You literally last episode were evacuated. Oh yes, And I just want to take a moment to acknowledge not only what may have happened for you in Tallahassee, but the folks all over the country, including in Asheville, North Carolina. We just send our prayers to y'all, and whatever we can do, please let us know, Please send us comments, let us know what's happening.
Speaker 6: If you all let us know you're okay.
Speaker 7: I know they talked, They talked about phone lines being impacted and things being down. Andrew, how did you all fare? And is everything okay here? What is that?
Speaker 1: I appreciate you asking both Angela and Tiffany, and for your putting up with me, as I was sort of balancing all the frustrations of all the moving objects. The reason why it is so jolting for us in this part of the country. And I would say, up through Ashville, through North Carolina, through the parts of the country that received the greatest impact from this storm, we're not usually the places. I mean, you hear about North Carolina being impacted by a hurricane, you hear about Florida being impacted by hurricane Rarely, ever, are these the parts of those states that get direct impacts. And so when we start hearing things like, oh, direct impact ten miles from where your house is of a category for hurricane or even worse, the news I was hearing at the time that we were you know we were recording was a direct impact, meaning this the eye of the storm coming directly over where it.
Speaker 4: Is you live.
Speaker 1: It sends real nerves through us. And I have to say, while we were unnerved here down closer to the coast, the panangular coast here in Florida, I have to imagine places like Asheville, North Carolina, we're even all the less ready for a storm of this kind of impact. We're talking about places whose trees never get shaken quite that way, right, and so when trees get shaken that way and storm water surge starts to come into those areas at ten fifteen twenty feet, you're talking about lives being lost. Forget about land and property because you just you just have to go with what it, you know what is, but but real lives being put at stake. And I think the last that heard there had been this may have been one of the most significant storms as it relates the loss of life that many of these areas have ever seen, have ever seen. And so, like you, my heart goes out to those who have been, you know, terribly impacted. We had a excuse me, a tree in our backyard that came down from our house, and then there's just you know, debris everywhere. But I have to say, by and large, by comparison, Tallahassee escaped what could have been the worst of these impacts. But just to our east, not just lost of life, but land, you know, property. These things can be replaced. But but just consider for a lot of these folks, they just had not prepared for that scale, that scale and that impact of storm. My heart does go out to those in Georgia and North Carolina and in all those places that have been impacted by this storm, and that with those folks who were still missing that my hope is maybe they were able to get out relocate and just because of lines being down and communication being really unsettled, that weren't able to communicate that. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I hope folks who are out there, who are in the zone of impact will write to us, can email us, can send a video, can say what their needs are. Because it's certainly this close to the election, there's a lot of unsettling. But just in the in the state of.
Speaker 4: People's lives, everyday lives, there's.
Speaker 1: A lot of unsettling, and I'm prayerful that that that that folks will get the help that they need when they need it.
Speaker 4: With that being said, you know, I'll kick it.
Speaker 5: Back, Yes, I'll be really quick because I know people are eager to hear about the debate, but I just want to on the storm. And so you all have heard us talk about Latasha Brown on this show many times. She and Cliff Albright run the group Black Voters Matter. They are instrumental in saving American democracy. And they were just honored this week in DC at an event. So it's like all these donors there and Latasha saying and just gave this beautiful speech. Cliff gave wonderful remarks. And when they show on their list of like if you give this much, this is what this money goes for. And on the list they had generators and they asked did they ask the audience do you see anything here that stands out to you? And somebody shouted out generators and they talked about seeing people's humanity and that is something I think that it's so crucial to us as black people. We are not your political commodity every two or four years. And I think with Latasha and Cliff, they you know, they could not go to someone's door and encourage them to vote and those people are suffering, or if they say, well, where were you when we were in need? And so the gap that they feel and the work that they do on the ground is tangible and felt, and so it is beyond just voting with them. They show up and say, hey, black people, we see you, and we want to make it easy and inviting for you to participate in this democracy. So as you were talking about the folks that need that is not lost on me. I think that's so crucial. I want to hop it to the debate, yes, because one I don't know if a lot of people watch the debate, and I don't think that anybody shows up to the debate that the debate is gonna make move them one way or another. You know, I think people kind of tune in if it's in their background, and people probably just don't watch vice president's debate. What I took away from the debate is how much Donald Trump has changed the political landscape. And I say that because everybody wants a SoundBite. Now, everybody wanted a punch counter punch people. You know, the analysis afterwards where you know a lot of people felt like, oh, Waltz should have done this or said this, And because jd. Vance was able to speak in sound bites, it gave the false impression that he was prepared or he just looked better. And I just thought, man, how do we get to a place where if somebody lies but puts it in a prettier package that that's okay. And I thought, in the analysis, if everybody who was doing post debate analysis instead of talking about how articulate he was or how well he spoke in sound bites. I wonder what would have happened if they just simply fact checked that almost every answer he gave was a lie. I don't really care that Waltz wasn't speaking in sound bites, you know. I thought he had some clippable moments, but that's It's kind of like our entire politics are just trivialized to what is clippable for Instagram, TikTok, the eleven o'clock news and the twenty four hour cable news networks, and not the substance of it. So I was really frustrated watching that because I'm like, wow, we are really in Donald Trump's America. Where if walt had said, you know, well, we'll screw you because I, you know, went to the Springfield and you don't know what you're talking about, people are like, yay, he got it, and it's like yeah, But there was actually a lot of substance in there. So I liked that it was that he had more things to say that were actually accurate. So just I have specific points, but I just thought in the general style of it that was Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wonder I thank you for inviting that, because I think that I know we want to get a break in here soon, but but I appreciate us maybe each opening just a moment about some of the telegenic nature that debates seemed to be sort of flowing. Because I had a very similar reaction one yes to Donald Trump effect on debates, which is, now, if folks are on throwing blows and leveling one another with insult, then it can't be an interesting debate or it's boring, right like we're back to, oh, the politics as usual. And then number two, this this idea that if you look telegenic enough, and if you deliver the line with a good enough smile or grand or glance, that all of a sudden, all of your past is a race. Like nothing you said up unto this moment matters other than what you said just in those two minutes or sixty seconds of a response. And I do think it's important that remind that we remind each other, that we remind society, certainly our listeners, that that's not really what the debates are supposed to be made of, and that certainly isn't what the totality of a candidate is made of is how well they delivered in a particular performance. Now, I could be downrating this because of all the other stuff that I want to say about what I experienced in that debate, But just pulling back and looking very optically at this whole thing, it's mind boggling that we could really resolve that because I delivered a nice line that what I said and contradiction to it, and how I have voted and acted and conducted myself contrary to what I just said, and the years leading up to this moment up until I hit this stage no longer matters because I delivered a nice wink at the end of that of the sixty second line, Angela, do you have any broad thoughts before we hit a break on on just sort of the what debates have become?
Speaker 7: It seems I would love to answer that question on the other side of a break, so I can start with a clip, seriously, make up some of the monotony, and we got it. Yeah, we got a lot of sound. So if we can hit this break and start with sound, I think we're good. We've got to pay some bills, y'all will be our best.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 9: Now, of course, Donald Trump has been very clear that on the abortion policy, specifically, that we have a big country and it's diverse, and California has a different viewpoint on this than Georgia. Georgia has a different viewpoint from Arizona. And the proper way to handle this, as messy as democracy sometimes is, is to let voters make these decisions. Let the individual states make their born policy.
Speaker 7: Okay, so I wanted to play that because Tiff talked about Donald Trump's America, Andrew you talked about someone able to deliver a line. Jd Vance in this debate almost had me when he talked about his friend who had this experience where she needed to get an abortion to get out of a relationship that was violent. And then he started twisting and turning in the wind. He started saying that he thinks that they should be full in support of full family. He started talking about that things should be up to the states. Now, I want to contextualize this with some things. The first thing is, after this debate performance last night, Donald Trump goes on to Trump up to Trump's social is really what it should be called, but truth social and says that he would veto a national abortion band. But here are the facts around this. In March of this year, the Republican Study Committee, which is a part of the House Republican Cocket Conference, said that they want that They endorsed a national abortion ban with zero exceptions for rape or incest.
Speaker 6: The Republican Study Committee eliminated support for IVF treatment. The Republican Study Committee endorses banning how do you say this drug? Mephy prestoned.
Speaker 7: I did not know that's how you say it, but either way, the FDA approved safe and effective medication that has been on the market now for twenty years. This is the same Republican Party and their candidate at the top of the ticket who has said who has said that he supports the Dobbs decision that overturned Roe versus Wade, has bragged about it.
Speaker 6: So now all of a sudden, they know that they are now centering.
Speaker 7: Themselves in the wombs of women all over this country. Now they're saying, you know what, maybe we shouldn't be here, Maybe this could cost us selection.
Speaker 6: So they're pivoting.
Speaker 7: And I think what we saw last night was someone who could traffic in gaslighting.
Speaker 6: You know this woman who.
Speaker 7: I love you, he says, who needed this treatment, who was making that decision for herself. If we substituted out abortion for a rectile dysfunction medication, or for women who wanted to get boob jobs or Brazilian butt lifts, there would be no space for us.
Speaker 6: To even be talking about choice.
Speaker 7: I want to bring to your attention this is the same party that had fits about a COVID vaccination being mandatory.
Speaker 6: They want choice, but choice.
Speaker 7: Is convenient for them, and they only want to ensure choice when their choices are on the line. But women forget about it. So I watched this man twist and turn and contort himself around abortion period and say, my friend needed this. I understand it, love you, but this should be up to the states. That's where we land, with all of the restrictions that state. We know where the states stand. We could pull up a state chart with all of the things they've put up for reproductive justice. And you know what, y'all, I'm gonna be honest with you personally, this isn't something that I go out and be like pro abortion, but I am absolutely pro choice. I am absolutely not gonna stand in the way between a woman and her doctor and what is in the best decision for her. Life, her children's lives, her community, her finances. That is not my job and that is her business.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so a couple things there. I mean, I think we all agree there. And to me, it was very obvious that jd. Vance was lying. It was a clear lie. Everything he said was a lie, point blank. And I wish that the moderators served a role other than question asking when he ran for Senate, he ran on a national abortion band. Yes, he has said on the record to CNN own Manu Rogers that he that he supports a national abortion band. This is googleably false. This is demonstrably false. Because you brought up the drug that none of us know how to say. I think it's methil prestone.
Speaker 8: I didn't know what.
Speaker 5: But I want to say just so you understand and so the audience understands, to give context how we even got there, as you all know because we've talked about it on this show a lot. Trump appointed over two hundred judges, many of whom are completely in not qualified to be judges. Most of them are overwhelmingly white and male. Now, so many people are focused on the Supreme Court, but I want to say why the lower courts matter? Because when this issue came to the courts, all all of the lower courts, who were well overpopulated with Trump appointed judges, they were the ones trying to ruling on a case trying to outlaw this drug. Now, when you looked at their their argument, I'm saying, why this drug should be outlawed, it was nonsensical.
Speaker 8: It was absolutely ridiculous.
Speaker 5: One of the arguments was that doctors themselves could be damaged by handling this true, precisely, it was so utterly ridiculous. And this somehow passed the district courts, and then it passed the appellate courts, and it went all the way to the Supreme Court. Now, the Supreme Court thankfully stopped it and said this argument is not realistic, you guys. This is something that has to exist for women. But they left the door open that this could potentially be brought again. When he says that this is the one to be the Republican party that cares about families, this is googlably and demonstrably false. They do not care about families. You can look at their actual policies. But if that's too wonky for some people, then why don't you just YouTube what Donald Trump himself says when asked about childcare, he literally doesn't know what it is. We've talked about that at nausea on the show last week. The week before, I went through a whole list of things that the Republicans have done when it comes to school lunch, when it comes to childcare, they do not care about families. When he talks about they want to be the party of family, we have the pussy grabber in chief himself on tape saying all kinds of disgusting things about women. They are not the party of family or family values, and quite frankly, they have never been. So when I heard him say that, I wasn't even upset, Angela, to be honest with you, I was just looking. It's almost laughable now, it is absolutely ridiculous. So I don't know who he could possibly sway with that argument, because all it takes is thirty seconds to look at where he's on his website. On his website, he said in Abortion Nationally.
Speaker 1: To your response, and as angel Lapool's the audio, it is they are counting on the fact that they're going to have an audience of people who for the first time are being able to hear what these people think and an undisrupted, uncheckable, unfact checkable environment where basically they're going to take each of these guys at what it is that they have to say. That's what they were counting on last night. And go ahead, Angela, please introduce your clip.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I just wanted to play the audio of where jd Vance actually stands on abortion.
Speaker 10: Do you think it will be resolved nationally?
Speaker 3: That's Adrian's He was very serious about it.
Speaker 10: He's like, it's going to be resolved nationally and I was like, oh no.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I certainly would like abortion to be illegal nationally. A. Don't you know, Adrian's like a smart lawyer, and.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think he says very clearly, I would like abortion to be illegal nationally, which means jd Vance is in lockstep with the Republican Study Committee. Jd vance is in lockstep with the Heritage found Jason Foundation. Jd vance is in lockstep with Donald Trump, his boss. Jd Vance is in lockstep with Project twenty twenty five. So I just want to is the preface for wrote the preface for Yes Right, which very clear as we attacked last night's debate, which he didn't get held to account for this.
Speaker 1: Man can't distance himself from the document by which he is the prelude to of which he sets up the case. And just for folks who are not not clear, that Republican study group, that issue that basically is the policy center for policy that moves forward through the Congress that is bannered by Republicans, that's their study group.
Speaker 4: That is the group that.
Speaker 1: Is the the the the the Congresses go to anytime you want to move a particular issue on public policy. And let's not forget just two weeks ago, the entirety of the US Senate Caucus, with the exception of two members, decided they were going to vote against protecting IVF and women's access and families access to IVF in the entire country. That's what Democrats were attempting to push. So this makeover Act, which can't even be considered serious. But because he again delivered the line, appearing sincere, that we're supposed to erase his public positions on these issues from the moment that he was clocked before making those statements, and all of his his history as an elected official was supposed to be erased. Because can I ask you one question, A line well delivered this.
Speaker 5: I'm curious how y'all feel. I know Angela has a lot of anxiety around the election. St Angela, I stand in my belief she is going to win. I'm not basing. I cannot you know, I cannot look at these polls every day. I can't look at like the dooms grow like I just cannot. So I'm not basing that she's going to win on anything except that it's the only outcome that my mid can conceive. Right now, I cannot imagine. I cannot fathom in America that would re elect this man. Having said that, I'm curious from you guys.
Speaker 8: This is going to come down to white women.
Speaker 5: I think black folks will show up like we always do and save this democracy like we always do. Fifty two percent of white women supported Donald Trump. That number went down slightly, I think in twenty twenty. Now I wish that they could care about humanity before it became the abortion issue. Where do you got given that everything Angela just laid out everything you said, Andrew, Given that, where do you all think white women will show up when it comes to the polls this November?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: Can I offer two things? One an observation that even though I was pretty critical of the job that Tim Waltz did and really mostly just not holding jd Vance to account for the things that he has said pretty recklessly over the course of this campaign in his public service, I will say that the aftermath of the polls that were taken the immediacy of in the immediate aftermath of the debate, showed his likability, meaning that of VP candidate Walls going up by sixteen points even And so while he wasn't the combative I'm going to hold your feet to the fire, hold you accountable sort of debating candidate, in some ways you almost wonder was there's some reverse psychology or some psychology that basically said, if he plays again the role of the good guy, not the barn burner, but the good guy, does that insure him more closely to what American people want to see in their vice president. So I'll put that as just one observation. The other observation that I would make, and this is not to be contrariant, it is I do think that every week the Harris Walls campaign is going to have to continue to show what is forward movement, not treading in place. But real forward movement toward the win, whereas I think Donald Trump's in his campadre jd Vance can really tread in place and feel pretty comfortable treading and just not drowning from.
Speaker 4: Week to week.
Speaker 1: And so if I were to use that matrix as one for surety as we move closer to the election that okay, Democrats are gaining, that we're showing momentum, that we're showing movement. I'm not sure that this last week does more than treading in place for Democrats. And I think that every week between now and election, as more and more people go to vote, vote, early, vote, absentie, so on and so forth, that forward movement is going to have to be shown. And there just aren't enough baked into the cake places where we're going to see opportunities for real momentum shift. There is not another presidential candidate debate, we won't see that well. Just as I have applied this logic of forward momentum, I think white women are going to want to see forward momentum otherwise, not.
Speaker 8: What do you think they want?
Speaker 5: I'm saying, where do you guys think they will how they will show up? Angela, I think it.
Speaker 1: All depends on us on Democrats showing forward movement from week to week, not treading in place.
Speaker 6: Okay, well, I know that we also canter in place. So we're gonna go to another break.
Speaker 7: We're gonna roll some more sound from the debate last night, get a little bit more into hopefully our strategy minds what we think what well, what we think went wrong, and we'll do that on the other side.
Speaker 6: Of the break.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, welcome, welcome, welcome.
Speaker 3: We.
Speaker 6: Here tips tip.
Speaker 7: Let me tell y'all, Let me let me bring y'all because they always talk about we'd be podcasting when when we're not even recording.
Speaker 6: Let me tell y'all. Tiff is mad right now.
Speaker 7: Because she said we treated her like she was a debate debate moderatorlast night. She said, y'all did not answer my question about white women, to which I said, well, I am not a white woman expert. I want to talk to a white woman about what they're gonna do now that I think.
Speaker 6: It's the truth.
Speaker 7: And if you talk about my nerves making your nerves bad, you making my nerves bad.
Speaker 6: Wonder what they're gonna do, because if they do what they did last time. This me, I now can't handle it.
Speaker 8: Well, I thought that.
Speaker 1: They did what they did last time and we still won. So I don't know that.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry I said last time. I'm talking about my trauma from twenty seventeen.
Speaker 8: But I do hear you.
Speaker 4: Okay, I get it.
Speaker 1: But but but if they do what they did last time, which is vote at the same percentage they have, not giving the vote majority to not giving the white women majority vote to a Democrat, we still we still can win.
Speaker 7: I think that that is skating on thin ice and I appreciate, but I appreciate your perspective on this. I would love if you guys don't mind to just play one moment where the debate moderators decided to fact check and somebody had something to say about it because he thought he was going to do style in all fiction.
Speaker 6: Let's road a clip.
Speaker 11: Thank you, Governor, And just to clarify for our viewers, Springfield, Ohio does have a large number of Haitian migrants who have legal status temporary protective Well, Senator, we have so much to get to Margaret.
Speaker 9: I think it's important out of the economy than Margaret. The rules were that you got in a fact check.
Speaker 1: Account.
Speaker 5: He did not offer anything that was accurate that they have the Haitian people in Springfield, Ohio are here under TPS.
Speaker 8: That is that's legal.
Speaker 5: So what he's trying to say is a lie, and the fort the main moderators correcting that is necessary.
Speaker 8: What are you there for if you're not going to correct.
Speaker 1: Y'all, we we should all be able to agree that if your fight starts with you said you were not going to get thank you's.
Speaker 6: I wanted to play this.
Speaker 1: Clips into this conversation.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I love that we're playing clips, playing the.
Speaker 7: Clips and they feeling froggy and they leaping.
Speaker 6: Now, y'all, I told you we needed to run that thing back.
Speaker 7: But I wanted to play that clip because it gets right to the heart of what Andrew was saying earlier about him being able to just present a story. I was saying yesterday, even on social media. Listen, when someone can just pontificate on fiction and that is more sellable than the truth, that is a problem, I will tell y'all. I do think jd Vance won on style, clearly. I don't think he won on substance because there was no substance. You can say whatever you want. I told Jill Stein and m they had an after seven agenda. He had a ready or not agenda too. You cannot tell people based on like in a complete one eighty of everything you've ever done and everything you stood for, that you're gonna give him the sun to make the room.
Speaker 6: See, I can't say the sun and the.
Speaker 8: Moon and rain.
Speaker 6: You guys know, I just said the room.
Speaker 8: I knew I.
Speaker 6: Sound like Tim Walls last night.
Speaker 7: You know what it must be Jesus, because I was on Tim Wall's ass. I said, now, I don't know what he's talking about. He's nervous. I want to see this notepad. What is he writing down? I was so frustrated with him because Jadvan's like, say you baby.
Speaker 5: We were texting, was drawing me. Honestly, I was not frustrated. Like to me, I don't think I was fresh. I don't think that he lost at all. I don't think that JD. Vans won it all. I don't think that they changed anybody's minds. I just don't think that the vice presidential debate is that consequential. I don't think it moved the needle at all.
Speaker 7: But that's the thing I didn't want a debate that was a draw, and I would have been so happy with Tim Walls that was showing up to interviews.
Speaker 5: Howard from the debate, like did you think that somebody is gonna watch that and say, oh, I've changed my mind, I'm gonna.
Speaker 7: Wanted to feel excited, tiff. I wanted to be fired up.
Speaker 6: And ready to go, but I was only that.
Speaker 5: This is why I say, are you all trying to tell me I am? I'm telling you I'm not a policy person. And to me, this is the kind of the challenge. Is why I say it's Donald Trump's America because it's not a pep rally, you know, like this is these are very serious times. And I think when you're trying to lay out policy before the America, because it's not all going to be precisely, it's consequential, and it's not all clippable, it's not all soundbites.
Speaker 6: But you want to.
Speaker 5: Feel like excited, and I think a lot of people do that want But it's not about feeling excited. They're laying out policy before the American people rally feeling excited. Debates are where do you stand on things? In this particular case, they have to be liar and you got somebody who ain't lying.
Speaker 8: That's the decision.
Speaker 7: The liar was more exciting than the truth teller. And that's frustrating because the moderators only fact check twice.
Speaker 6: I think, well, that.
Speaker 8: Dumbley, that was part of the rule.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I dumbley is a word, but I just invented it.
Speaker 6: That you can say it googleable too. That ain't a word, but you made it google. I agree to the and then what have I been?
Speaker 8: I don't understand. Here's the point. What is the moderator there for?
Speaker 5: If you're just gonna ask questions and jade Van says, oh no, we're gonna we promise everybody lollipops and rainbows and you're not going to fact check.
Speaker 8: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 6: That's my point. So I just wanted. I wanted. I didn't want excitement like church.
Speaker 7: Although although we don't even have this clip, Nick, but can you try.
Speaker 6: To pull it.
Speaker 7: There was a moment where somebody took us to church. And it's not who has been branded the Party of the Saints.
Speaker 6: The Party of the Saints.
Speaker 7: Somehow the Republicans were able to take that label and that ain't the truth when I tell you, Tim Walls went straight to the Good Book for the scripture that that is there. More often than not, there's nothing in the Bible that talks about abortion, but there is something that talks to us about the least of these.
Speaker 12: I don't talk about my faith a lot, but Matthew twenty five forty talks about to the least amongst as you do one to me. I think that's true of most Americans. They simply want order to it. This bill does it, it's funded, it's supported by the people who do it, and it lets us keep our dignity about how we treat other people.
Speaker 7: It was Matthew, it would Matthew twenty five and forty, and I literally in my notes I hear, come on, coach, I just wanted to acknowledge that that was an excitable moment. There were some other moments when he said, you know, what's an excitable moment, Let's actually roll it.
Speaker 6: This is where JD.
Speaker 7: Vance was asked, not by the moderators but by Tim Walls, if he accepted the results of the election, let's row that he.
Speaker 12: Is still saying he didn't lose the election. I would just ask that did he lose the twenty twenty election.
Speaker 9: Tim, I'm focused on the future. Did Kamala Harris censor Americans from speaking their mind and the wake of the twenty twenty COVID situation?
Speaker 1: That is a damning That is a damning non answer.
Speaker 9: It's a damning non answer for you to not talk about sensor ship. Obviously, Donald Trump and I think that there were problems in twenty twenty. We've talked about it. I'm happy to talk about it further.
Speaker 5: I love that, So Angela, this is what I'm saying. Like that to me is case closed, Like you won the debate, like that's the moment, all this other stuff because jd Van stands there and he can, you know, articulate a verb and speaking a complete sentence without saying twenty times To me, that doesn't mean that he wants even on style. He didn't win the debate. To me, I wasn't even excited on the other side, Like you know, you can get happy excited and need to get angry excited.
Speaker 8: I'm telling you, I felt blah, I was I told you I was dozing off, Like I'm dozing off. I can't even stay awake on this debate. It just wasn't I don't know. It just didn't move me either way.
Speaker 7: I think that they can be used to move things, and I think that.
Speaker 6: I hear your point.
Speaker 7: I do think, to Tim Wallas's credit, Andrew, I would love to hear what you think.
Speaker 6: But we call him coach.
Speaker 7: He showed up in the fourth quarter of that debate. Yeah, he showed up, Like I feel like he was a hell of a closer. He was a much weaker opener. He was nervous, he seemed rattled, he was taking notes feverishly.
Speaker 6: I just wanted him to be better prepared.
Speaker 7: And my argument for this is they have decided that he needed to be taken out of his element, which became news.
Speaker 6: He was doing interviews so regularly.
Speaker 7: You cannot take a player out of their element and think they're gonna show up game time ready to play. So I feel like it literally was his practice the first three quarters.
Speaker 6: The fourth quarter, he was like a game on. We were like, brother, that time is up.
Speaker 5: I just think that they it did feel like he was coached. It did feel first of all, i'd like him in his glasses. I felt like, what's the name from my girl? Where's his glasses? He can't see without his glasses. I'm like, I want to see this man.
Speaker 6: And he didn't have glasses on.
Speaker 8: No, he didn't.
Speaker 6: Oh you're saying, oh, I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: Like you need with He looked you know, he looked very you know, well poised and positioned and all that.
Speaker 8: But I know what you're saying.
Speaker 5: It's like Tim Walls on a stage at a rally is a different person than we saw on the debate stage. Not that you know, it moved me either way.
Speaker 6: He was all riddling last night.
Speaker 5: It was given real, don't you think it felt like people at the campaign were saying, Hey, go out there and do this, and here's you know, here's what you say on this, and it's like, you know what, just go out there and prove to the country that this.
Speaker 8: Man is a liar and an idiot.
Speaker 6: That's that's it.
Speaker 7: And there were some moments, Andrew, I wanted, I want you to weigh in here too, But there were some moments, Yes, there were some moments where he.
Speaker 6: Was like, that's just not true.
Speaker 7: Say that as much as you can make sure these people aren't getting sweet talk to death, and that would have been exciting to me. It's just like and I'm not talking about like some people were like he needed some knockout punches. I didn't need to see like Mortal Kombat, but I did need to see him not be so passive. I did appreciate on both sides, both of them say like finding compassion.
Speaker 6: JD.
Speaker 7: Walls found compassion despite their inability to find any type of gun safety what I call JD.
Speaker 4: Walls which.
Speaker 6: Together, yes, I want to hear Andrew, they.
Speaker 1: Did, and I actually think that that was a little bit detrimental.
Speaker 3: You do, I would.
Speaker 1: In some ways, I think that JD. JD Vance needed to be left out on an island. I think he is not. I don't think we needed him to be politically palatable. I don't think we needed to welcome onto the society or the land of acceptability. I think that he needed to remain on the ostracized island of conspiracy theories, trafficking and racism, of creating stories that don't exist, and being the home state senator who voluntarily puts his constituents' lives at risk. He's the guy who invited in the kind of conspiracy theories that had children staying home for days, that caused Haitians who were here legally to hover in their homes afraid to go out because they weren't sure what they were going to be intercepted by. He's the guy who had the Republican mayor and the Republican governor of his state saying, please stop, this is dangerous, Please don't come here, because you're a danger to the people of Ohio. Who says that to their home state senator, who, by the way, happens to be of the same party affiliation that they are no one that ought to be an ostracized, unacceptable island that you're not welcomed on or you're not welcomed off of. And unfortunately, I think some of the you know, backslapping and not backslapping, but certainly the.
Speaker 4: Cordiality made it appear that JD.
Speaker 1: Vance is acceptable in polite society, and as far as I'm concerned, he's not acceptable in polite society. We should have left his ass on the island that he created for he and Donald Trump. But once I get over that, I get to I think we can appreciate that yesterday was no harm done.
Speaker 4: Necessarily.
Speaker 1: I don't feel like this was game changing in the way that harm was done, but it's still my belief that every week has to be a week of momentum building for the Harris Walls campaign so that we can have relative maturrety around the wind. I actually think we're going to win by sake of the numbers. What has to happen, I think, however, in this race, to avoid some of the catastrophe that I think Donald Trump and his team are building for, is that the win has to be more than by the numbers. I think it has to be demonstrable. And the way you get to a demonstrable win is by giving people the kind of energy and excitement that they want to carry into election. There and beyond that they want to stand and fight for you because they know that they know that, they know that they know that you won this election. And you've got to have that kind of feeling when it's a demonstrable win. And I think that's what we're in the battle for between now and election day, the win that is noticeable by everybody, no matter what side of the aisle you come down on.
Speaker 8: But you feel like we're going to win.
Speaker 1: I do I think by the numbers. I do believe that by the numbers, Kamala Harris and Governor Walls will be the winners. What I think we need to avoid the kind of election doubt that is necessary still remains to be seen at this point.
Speaker 7: For me, Angela, how I asked one question. I have Tiff before, so I don't get in trouble. Let me answer quickly. I am scared. I'll be scared until two weeks out. You know what I'm racing for right now? Honestly, is this October surprise?
Speaker 6: Like today? I was like, was October surprised? And now Trump is saying he's not.
Speaker 8: He would veto a national workman the October I'm not.
Speaker 7: Okay, all right, well we talk about but hold on, here's here's my question.
Speaker 6: Really quick.
Speaker 7: Tiff is not going to do this with me, Andrew, so please indulge me. She's so rude, Andrew, can you please be JD Van so I can tell you what the one thing that I wish that Tim Wallas would have done last night?
Speaker 6: JD Van, So I can do it. Just start talking, b jd Vance and.
Speaker 4: I'm JD Vance.
Speaker 1: I'm too cute by one half.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's why.
Speaker 3: I'm not.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Accepting disruptions in the middle of the debate, my disruptions in the middle of the debate.
Speaker 7: Make sure that knows that there's dogs and cats alive everywhere. I just want to make sure he knows. I would have thrown his ass off at the beginning. I'm so happy when it started meowing the beginning.
Speaker 8: No, I'm so happy he did not do that, Angela.
Speaker 7: It would have been the kids would have loved, would have been the native lampid.
Speaker 6: Can you guys please vote on this if.
Speaker 7: You would have liked to see sim Walls mail or bark at this point talking about these people eating dogs and cats.
Speaker 5: That tell us, But that to me is Donald Trump's America. Like we have been grossly unserious country. I do not want to see the vice president, Angela. I do not want to see the vice presidential candidate me. I will when at that time, at that very time, they were one hundred and eighty missiles being aimed at Israel and.
Speaker 6: Oh no, she just dropped off. Oh lord, well you know why. Let me tell you.
Speaker 7: God took tips mic out so that I could say that the vice presidential candidates should have probably mailed in this debate, just to throw them off his game.
Speaker 8: Andrew, but I think you got tip.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 8: I know, Angela mute me, but it still sound buzzy. I don't know if you can hear me. I'm just trying to say at what was happening at that moment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there were one hundred and eighty missiles being aimed at Israel. The world was watching this debate to see where these men stood on policy. I think that's something you all remember when Donald Trump, now, Andrew, you brought this up a few weeks ago, when Donald Trump paraded the women that Bill Clinton allegedly had stepped outside his marriage, Like, that's that level of petty that I think it contributes to the dumbing down, quite frankly, of the American electorate. And they're not running to appeal to the Twitter base and people on Instagram, you know, Like, we got to be serious about this.
Speaker 8: So I did not want to.
Speaker 7: Hear him me out and get onbad. But I hear you on the point. But here's the only thing that I would say to push back on this, y'all. And I know we do need to talk about the more serious pieces of this war that may be coming or it really is happening, especially when you look at Gaza. But I would just say, and you're dealing with someone who is your opponent is unserious, so you get in the head of the un serious opponent. I think you just got to do that, you know, like anywhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that that.
Speaker 1: Could have worked, That could work with the Donald Trump. I sort of feel like JD. E. Vance came in his full I mean, this is the guy that wrote hill Billy Elogy that put him centerfold in the minds of a bunch of left donors who basically said, we need to now go take bus tours through the real America and understand this hill Billy elogy thing.
Speaker 4: And I'm thinking.
Speaker 1: This is the same guy who then shows up, you know, as a vice presidential candidate, no resemblance to the author there, and then showing up on a debate stage looking and no resemblance to the guy who he was an hour just before the And but you had a primal actor on stage who I thought was not going to be flappable by some one. Frankly, he thought he was far above in a debate stage performance. I mean, you couldn't have told JD. Vance anything other than he was dominating that stage. And the truth is is for his purposes. He did do that, but I also think that Walls did the job at least that was required of him, and that was not to backstep on behalf of the Harris Walls campaign. It is we cannot beat the opponent with the opponent's tools. I do think that there are going to be some you know, the saying that you can't dismantle the master siuice using the master's tools.
Speaker 4: I don't think that that was.
Speaker 1: Going to be the way that we were going to unmask him. I think the way we unmask him is by getting that last minute of the debate and putting that goddamn thing in rotation because I think his response there makes him unqualified for the presidency and it needs to be a rotation period.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, period.
Speaker 7: That's how we undo reduction question.
Speaker 8: Is it time for another break or how we think?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 5: On the other side of this, I want to get into the versioning war happening in the Middle East, so we'll be right back after this. Great, All right, so we're back. I So I kind of want to talk about two things here because they're both related.
Speaker 8: First, Andrew, I know you.
Speaker 5: Have thoughts on what's happening we've talked about Iran was definitely going to respond to Israel at some point, and I just kind of want to kick off the conversation this way because we have to first remember what happened in the Middle East that while we're here, and why why this impacts us. This, to me, Angela is the October surprise. This is what I've been worried about. This has a direct impact on not only US foreign policy, but for were this presidential election. I think Americans get really nervous about seeing a woman as a wartime president Mexico inaugurated. They are a new president this week who happens to be Jewish, by the way, but they are now led by a woman.
Speaker 8: It's just time.
Speaker 5: But when it comes to war, I think people who are excited to pull the lever for her bristle a bit and they, you know, want they don't think that women can be hawks, you know, when it comes to war. So now that this has happened, this does give me a little bit of anxiety. I just don't want a full scale war to break out before our elections. Now why this matters to us here is because the way that this was reported. Now you see the headlines the breaking news banner it is Iran attacks Israel. There is no mention of what led up to that point. Obviously Israel has the right to defend itself. Obviously Israel should exist. I also believe Palestine and Shod exists Palestinians, and Palestine has the right to defend itself as well. This was preceded by attacks from Israel on Lebanon. They were going after the leaders of Hesbola and they killed number one and two in Hesbula. Why this matters to Iran is Iran. They are a proxy for these three uh what the US identifies as terrorist groups. So that's Hesbola, the Hutis and Hamas. So I say all that to say our brother Tanahase and.
Speaker 1: Tiffany, and I know you didn't I know you didn't mention, failed to mention or mean not mention this. But the attack that took place on Iranian soil of a they basically a sovereign country being the home of another sovereign country's attack on an individual. Even though they were representatives of Hesbala and a higher up within that, within that organization, they did in fact carry out that mission on sovereign territory. And it also stands to be mentioned that Lebanon, as far as I last checked, is a country, uh, that is sovereign and his sovereign territory that is right now, withstanding actual soldiers from Israel on on their homeland.
Speaker 5: I think that is such crucial context and going into this discussion and knowing that Israel attacked these two sovereign lands, why this is relevant, Why I want to talk about it today. Our brother SONA Hote Coats, is out with a new book, The Message. He appeared on CBS Morning News. I want you all to take a listen. He was on with Gail King. Even though I'm a sports.
Speaker 8: Expert, the football girls, what what is it?
Speaker 6: His name is Nate Broson. He's from the two o six.
Speaker 5: Nate Broson, who is from Seattle, who is a former football player.
Speaker 6: Where did he play, tiff.
Speaker 8: He played for the Seattle Commanders.
Speaker 6: I believe that's definitely uh, the Seahawks.
Speaker 7: Are He played for the Seattle He did not play for the seat paid play for the Detroit Lions.
Speaker 8: He played for the Detroit Lions. Like I said, yes.
Speaker 4: Several times, like you were saying you were Like I.
Speaker 8: Was trying to stay shout out to Nate and Tony.
Speaker 5: Yes, okay, so take a listen. By the time, what's Tony's last name?
Speaker 8: That I know? He's Katie turns Unseman, but I don't pronounce his name.
Speaker 6: I don't pronounce it either, But Tony Greek.
Speaker 8: We're gonna I don't know the coopl the coople.
Speaker 5: Okay, sorry, pronunciations he's talking. And this is the first question from Tony to tana hassee take a listen, Tanahash.
Speaker 13: I want to dive into the Israel Palestine section of the books, the largest section of the book. And I have to say when I when I read the book, I imagine if I took your name out of it, took away the awards and the acclaim, took the cover of the book, the publishing house goes away. The content of that section would not be out of place in the backpack of an extremist. And so then I found myself wondering, why does Tanahashi Coats, who I've known for a long time, read has work for a long time, very talented, smart guy, leave out so much? Why leave out that Israel is surrounded by countries that want to eliminate it? Why leave out that Israel deals with terror groups that want to eliminate it. Why not detail anything of the first and the second intifat of the cafe bombings, the bus bombings.
Speaker 3: The little kids blown to bits?
Speaker 13: And is it because you just don't believe that Israel in any condition has a right to exist.
Speaker 14: Well, I would say the perspective that you just outlined, there is no shortage of that perspective in American media. That's the first thing I would say. I am most concerned always with those who don't have a voice, with those who don't have the ability to talk. I have asked repeatedly in my interviews whether there is a single network, mainstream organization in America with a Palestinian American bureau chief or correspondent who actually has a voice to articulate that part of the world.
Speaker 3: I've been a reporter for twenty years.
Speaker 14: The reporters of those who believe more sympathetically about Israel and it's right to exist don't have a problem getting their voice out.
Speaker 5: The disrespect of that question, I could not believe watching this in real time that he posed that question to Tanahase that way. It was so out of order Tanahase handled it beautifully, but I love the point that he made. There is no Palestinian voice. He wants to be that voice. Take a listen to this next exchange, and then I want to get you guys thoughts.
Speaker 13: Why do the Palestinians have a right to white are twenty different Muslim countries.
Speaker 14: I answer is that no country in this world establishes its ability to exist through rights. Countries establish their ability to exist through force, as America did. And so I think this question of right to it Israel does exist.
Speaker 3: It's a fact.
Speaker 14: The question of its right is not a question that I would be faced with with any other country.
Speaker 13: But you write a book that delegitimizes the pillars of Israel. It seems like an effort to tople the whole building of it. So I come back to the question, and it's what I struggle with throughout this book. What is it that so particularly offends you about the existence of a Jewish state that is a Jewish safe place and not any of the other states out there.
Speaker 3: There's nothing that offends me about a Jewish state.
Speaker 14: I am offended by the idea of states built on ethnocracy, no matter where they.
Speaker 3: Are I'm the child of Jim Crow.
Speaker 14: I'm the child of people that were born into a country where that was exactly the case of American apartheid. I walk over there, and I walk through the occupied territories, and I walk down the street in Hebron and a guy says to me, I can't walk down the street unless I profess my religion. I'm with another path. No, no, no, no, no, I want to go.
Speaker 3: This is very valuably important, it extremely important. Let it lay it down. I'm working with.
Speaker 14: The person that is guiding me is a Palestinian whose father, whose grandfather and grandmother was born in this town. And I have more freedom to walk than he does. He can't ride on certain roads, he can't get water in the same way that Israeli citizens who live less than a mile away from him.
Speaker 3: Again, and why is that?
Speaker 14: Is that?
Speaker 13: Why is there no agency in this book for the Palestinians. They exist in your narrative merely as victims of the Israelis, as though they were not offered peace at any juncture, as though they don't have.
Speaker 3: A stake in this as well?
Speaker 4: What is their role in the lack of a.
Speaker 14: Pela have a very very moral compass about this, and again, perhaps it's because of my ancestry.
Speaker 3: Either apartheid is right or it's wrong.
Speaker 8: Either it's right or it's wrong. Angela.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm so offended at this whole interview. Bravo to utanaha See for doing a great job. I'm looking forward to finishing the message. But that interview was so out of pocket. He's literally asking how Palestinians invited themselves to be living under apartheid when nearly fifty thousand, mostly women and children, have been murdered. He's asking, well, have we considered what they did to deserve that? It is so disrespectful. I'm curious, you guys thoughts.
Speaker 7: I really want to apply Tanahse for this interview because I was thinking if that were my first question, like going back to that initial question from Tony to Koople, I believe is how you pronounced his last name.
Speaker 6: I'm not sure.
Speaker 7: I apologize if there's some disrespect on your name. But to as to address the disrespect of that question, he says to him, if we were to take your name off, take your awards off, take the cover off, take off the publishing company, basically erase you and then put this material wherever right, like, why do we have to talk about erasure? The very point is that he used the boldness of his platform, the strength of his name, the ability that he's used to make arguments that are common sense, to finally help even white folks understand reparations not just from the slave trade, but from Jim Crow, but from racially restrictive covenance. His brilliance in being able to help people understand the nuance of the oppression that folks play experience globally is the reason why this book actually works, is the reason why there could actually be a cease fire, is the reason why there should be peace in that region. We don't have to erase him to have that conversation, but I applaud him because he showed us the type of restraint that we need as people of color in this world to make a point about why we deserve peace and why we deserve to survive and why we deserve to thrive. And I'm saying we with intention, because if we don't start saying we with intention, and we say that's not my problem because I have to fly to get there, and we say that's on my problem because I don't have any people in my family who are in this area. If we say that's not my problem because we don't see its direct impact despite history telling us something very different, that is all that is wrong with this interview. We have to look at this not myopically. We have to look at this not from just our economic impact. We have to look at this from what courage looks like. We have to It is incumbent upon us too. I said earlier, I cannot wait to read this book to be stretched, for my blind spots to be exposed. And I thank God for him being able to sit with the discomfort of nuance, not just in this interview, but in going to Palestine himself, to see his own privilege and to think about what that might mean for the people who have to dwell without that privilege.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna sow by it. I'm gonna stop.
Speaker 4: That's real.
Speaker 11: You know what.
Speaker 1: Bothers one that made me excited to read Tamahasse's book, which I'm going to go out in order immediately when we are done from here, but also Tony's intellectual dishonesty and the phrasing, the way in which he set the art almost as if the Israeli state doesn't deserve to exist.
Speaker 4: Well, when was that proffered?
Speaker 1: I had read the book, but I could conclude pretty clearly from what I heard from him he didn't assert.
Speaker 4: He didn't assert that notion at all.
Speaker 1: When did they decide that they don't don't don't deserve to be protected and that the two antifadas didn't exist, and that they're surrounded in a and a part of the world where they're surrounded by enemies.
Speaker 4: Yes, enemies that have been.
Speaker 1: Frankly made useless. Frankly because of the United States intervention. We've basically gone on and broken pieces.
Speaker 4: On the backs of the United States.
Speaker 1: Which is really what has me most nervous this October surprise potential.
Speaker 3: What has me.
Speaker 1: Most nervous is that it appears that we are prepared to be led by the nose into a war right before a potential administ well, no, what will be an administration change in the United States. So the fact that I heard from the White House this morning, we all heard the announcer from the White House that not only does the US stand to be prepared for Israel to now exert a response and that region of the world, but plans to come to its aid in a response, Well, guess what Israel may say its sites in Iran. But Israel by itself cannot level the nuclear capacity of Iran. It takes the United States to do that. And even if the United States were to do that, it would take us ninety days at least to accomplish that mission. So the fact that we may be drugged by the nose into this conflict right before the before an administration change unnerves me at all kinds of levels. And I think it is going to handicap Kamala Harris's ability to state what her approach would be in the region if Joe Biden leads in this direction. This, this, this conversation deserves a lot more discussion. There's a lot of nuance to it. By God, do I applaud Brother tanahasse Coast for the restraint that he and I could hear it in the quivering of his voice. He really wanted to snatch this man's snow a soul, but he kept it leveled, and he kept it to the principalities, and he didn't bite on Tony's assertions that he never stated himself, that he never sat himself only to get the humanity to prevail only so that humanity could prevail in the conversation. It was a masterclass and and I and I'm offended that that's how this conversation evolved was frankly from a bunch of non sequiturs and a bunch of assertions and a bunch of statements not made by tanahassee himself, beliefs not accredited to him, that he had to basically unbury himself from underneath before he could even get to the point of the matter.
Speaker 7: And nothing, you know, the one last thing I wanted to flag for y'all, It wasn't in the sound by set that to full. But at the end of the conversation, Tony says to him, well, you're still invited to high Holiday, which to me was like our our version of got here. You're still You're still no, You're still invited to the cookout.
Speaker 1: And it's like that, I know what you meant, but but no, I.
Speaker 7: Was, I was, I was going to make that point. I didn't even hear you. I'm sorry, a g. I want to hear what you were saying, but I.
Speaker 1: Was just no, I wasn't saying anything angel I was responding. I didn't hear the I didn't see the interview, so you're saying that you're still invited.
Speaker 6: To high holiday. So I was like, but that's my point, right, Like.
Speaker 7: Part of what I love about our show, and I was thinking about it driving over here is we hold space for nuance.
Speaker 6: We hold the ability.
Speaker 7: To say, wow, I disagree with you, and sometimes it's even offensive how much I disagree with you, but I still love you, and I still want to cherish and hear another perspective. To be someplace where someone is at least a professional friend and someone you respect.
Speaker 6: It should not have been minimized to that.
Speaker 7: And I think our responsibility in media is to ensure that we can have this dialogue.
Speaker 6: Well why is that your experience? Well what led you to that place?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 6: What happened when you were there?
Speaker 7: You've now had an experience with a group of people that I've never even heard from that I've never even entertained.
Speaker 6: What did you learn from that?
Speaker 7: And being okay with whatever they say on the other side of that.
Speaker 6: It is so important. We live in a world that.
Speaker 7: Is full of the gray. It is not flat and black or white. There's so much nuance here. We've got to be okay holding that nuance and getting to compromise. We are past the debate. But I will say, even though I don't want to neutralize the craziness and the weirdness that is JD Vance, it is so important to me, as someone who worked in politics, for humanity to be recentered in our policy making. And that means people on both sides of the aisle actually have to come to agreement. You can't damn near risk a government shut down every time budget comes back up. That cannot continue to happen. We've got to hold space and exist in nuance. We just do, and that interview shows why we haven't been able to.
Speaker 8: I think I just.
Speaker 1: Before you wrapped that, I just wanted to say, but you saw what happened there. This wasn't an invitation for a nuanced conversation. What happened from out of the gate was a drawing of the red line. There was a highlighter taken out and he and he pulled that. He pulled that highlighter over the red line to exclaim, this is not a place you want to cross.
Speaker 4: This isn't a place you want to cross.
Speaker 7: That's what I dangerous. Yeah, I'm saying, I'm saying to me, our space is the exact opposite of that, and I want to challenge media organizations, podcasts, people at home agreed to exist in the nuance, be okay with the discomfort. TIF asked us those questions sometimes, like even earlier, like what do you want to what do you think that white women are going to do? I don't want to sit with that, but I'm glad that she raised it to force us to sit with it for the day.
Speaker 8: No, I don't want you that was not my invite. I do not want you to sit with that for to day.
Speaker 7: Well, I mean, I mean, I mean asking it so that it's not a blind right.
Speaker 8: It's like at ease.
Speaker 1: I think we're victims of our technology right now, Yeah, because it's I think we're cross talking in this the my thing is slow and like you're getting a sentence out before I get I'm not in disagreement with any of that. I think you're completely right, both of you. I just really regret that that conversation jumped off at the red line.
Speaker 8: It was ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Exclaiming of the red line.
Speaker 5: Well, there was a Angelo's point about having nuanced. There was a much better conversation between Tanahasee and John Stewart, and John Stewart is so good at this and he talked about like his complicated feelings around everything, and at the end he and by the way, this was also Tanahasee's birthday where all this was happening.
Speaker 7: Oh my God, to celebrate.
Speaker 8: Him by this man's book.
Speaker 5: But what John Stewart said to him is like, hey, man, I know you're going through a lot saying these things and releasing this book and Tana has He said, I'm sorry to interrupt you, but I just want to say what I'm going through is nothing compared to what I saw the Palestinian people going through there. So he's not asking for any sympathy. You know, he's not as anybody playing violin. He is fine going into the fire pit and battling intellectually with somebody who takes on a different opinion. But I appreciate that he held space for the humanity of the Palestinian people and said, yeah, don't don't waste your sympathy on me. Think about what they're going through every day. It's nothing compared to what I'm going through. I will also say I feel like I tried to sit in the New hous. A lot of times I have more questions than I do answers. But I'm also not offended at people disagreeing with me too. I think a part of that is well, a part of it is I'm never trying to convince somebody else to feel how I feel. That's that's not ever my intention. I don't think y'all tell me if you think I'm wrong, if you're like, that's a lie because you were trying to convince us all the time. I think my approach is here's how I feel, here's based on here's why I'm trusted, or here's how I'm informing my opinion, and I'm presenting it to whomever, to the audience, to you guys, the friends, the group chats, whatever, and then after that I'm pretty much like I'm and I'm open to hear how you feel. But you can't convince me of something that I don't gree or you can't talk me out of my experience, or you can't say the thing I read isn't true or whatever.
Speaker 8: But I'm not.
Speaker 7: A good conversation for the mini pod, like, are we ever trying to convince people? Because y'all know I stay trying to go.
Speaker 6: Okay, well, well let's talk about it.
Speaker 8: Edit that out. We're gonna talk about that on mini pod.
Speaker 6: No, don't edit it out. We're gonna use it as as a teaser.
Speaker 8: I love.
Speaker 6: We have the new calls.
Speaker 7: To action, you guys, and we have a we have a question we never got to but we're definitely really deep into this podcast, so maybe that could be in our minipop.
Speaker 1: I'll give my call to action to the questioner.
Speaker 6: What's the Oh that's nice, Andrew, Well, I'll yield as well.
Speaker 10: Welcome home, folks. Angela my sister, you know, I love you with my whole heart. Andrew home team. Hope you're well. My brother Tiffany, I don't know you, but they love you so I love you, can't wait to meet you. I am actually coming to you today because I have a little situation. As some of you may know, have a nonprofit mentorship program for young men. But I'm coming I'm running into a problem with some of them, them who have since you know, they've graduated there in college. They're doing their own things, but they don't recognize the importance of voting. And I've tried to talk to them. I've tried to reason with them. I've explained to them, but they are totally uninterested and that breaks my heart. It almost feels like I failed them in some way. So I need your advice because I'm trying to reach these boys, some of them not even registered, and I'm trying to get them to where they need to be. Help, help, help, love you all.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 7: So, first, I just want to say, TIF, he did not mean that. That is Ryan Christopher Reid, who is from Gainesville, Florida, Andrew, and I actually really know him.
Speaker 6: He's not just saying.
Speaker 7: Yeah, like I know y'all, but TIF, I don't do you like that? But I love you because they love you.
Speaker 6: It wasn't that you literally when we meet.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're gonna make sure you guys meet Ryan christ You know, I love your commitment to young people. You know on this podcast, we're certainly committed to everybody as well.
Speaker 6: Florida is so critical.
Speaker 7: And I actually want to heal this answer Andrew to your sister Tip who said she doesn't try to convince people.
Speaker 6: Convince him, now, Tip, why don't you do that about voting?
Speaker 5: Uhh yeah, so even that, so I've been told and you are accused in the past that you know, the way I will try to convince people to vote, it's like you're shaming them, and you can't shame people in the voting. So I stopped doing that, and so I want to first acknowledge people's humanity.
Speaker 8: This whole idea that if you don't vote, you don't count, that is a lie. Of course you count.
Speaker 5: You count because you are here on this earth, you draw breath, you are living life, and we honor and support you and want you to be active participants in this here democracy. What I would recommend to my new friend who I'm looking forward to meeting, is not to make it about the election. You know, when I talk to people, and sadly it is mostly men. When I talk to people who just have no interest in participating in democracy.
Speaker 8: What I ask is, well, let's say you.
Speaker 5: Were in charge of this here ten blocks the ten block radius. You're now in charge, and that means you got to be over trash, pickup school funding, and we gonna give you everybody in the neighborhoods. They don't give you a pot of money, and you have to make sure all these people are well taken care of and organize it. That is a completely different conversation because then you've given these men agency. Then you have said, okay, well, if I'm in charge, this is how I wanted to go. And that is what we want to say to people. It's not about you believe in the system. We believe in you, brothers. We want you to participate in it. You have agency over this democracy. That is what voting is.
Speaker 8: What does this.
Speaker 5: Democracy look like if you are its architects? And by participating in the system, even if you're just participating in it to disrupt, which we hope you do, you have to participate in it. You have to understand it to be a part of it. So that would be my pitch to him to say to these young men, give them agency, not you know, oh, the white man system needs you to participate in it, because that's gonna turn me off too. I'm gonna walk away from that. I've survived good and bad administration, So how is this.
Speaker 8: Important to me? But telling you you are crucial and integral to how this country functions, I think it's a completely different message.
Speaker 7: And not just the country, but even on local and state level. Andrew, this is a question about Florida young men in particular. I know this is one that strikes home for you because, yeah.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 6: Relied on those votes and you needed them at some point.
Speaker 1: And I'm increasingly where Tiffany is. I think I've embraced this whole non shaming approach to registration, and I just think it's hard to convince people to buy into a system that they don't feel as working for them, and I think the best way to make it plain is to put them in some of the decision making seat. I think that's why we need to run people much more through what it means to have local and better than that almost neighborhood level governance. Like when we reach an agreement and everybody says we're not fighting, then we're not fighting. That's not how we're settling things here. We go into the whatever table and we'll play craps for it, you know, whatever the decision making is. I may have trivialized that, but the point being like, how can I convince you to buy into a system that you, for as far as you're concerned, have never seen worked for you. And maybe what it might take for Chris to do and others like him is sit there and break it down to a level so that they then get to see how it works. So, for instance, we just had a hurricane come through here. Do you want an example of what it means to have a government that is responsive and one that is not prepared to care, couldn't care less about how you survive through this thing? Take a train by way of example, and then maybe what we have happened as a result of this storm in this area. The difference here was one of governance. The difference here was one of whether or not you have people who cared about your existence and those who didn't. Maybe take it to a local barbershop, Ask him how he opened, Ask him whether what kind of license he needed to get that.
Speaker 3: Did he get a.
Speaker 1: Small business loan in order to make that happen? Maybe return the question do you have a vision of one day owning something?
Speaker 4: And how that might work?
Speaker 1: But I think we've got to make it much more applicable to people so that they really people have, truth to the Bible, have no clue how much government interferes and interacts and intervenes and curates every part of their living, of their being. Even the neglect of your life is curated by a power, a higher power, largely a government. The things you don't have, forget what you do, the stuff you could only hope for but never get to attain because somebody's a decision that you don't deserve it, that those things, those nice things, aren't for you. So I just think we do have to go the extra model of helping people to see how this thing really interacts, interplays and affects their lives. And then you know what, once you know better, my grandmama say, you do better.
Speaker 4: So now that you know better, hopefully you will do better.
Speaker 1: Now if you choose after knowing not to do well, I've got to say, you got to deserve what it is that's coming for you or not coming for you.
Speaker 7: The Lord Saints was mine Ford c two of us?
Speaker 4: Did what about you?
Speaker 6: Tell you?
Speaker 8: I wanted to give it.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'll be real quick, said that it was five minutes, but go ahead.
Speaker 4: And I'm certain it was probably be No, it wasn't.
Speaker 6: It was tilast She's like, hobby. I was like, this is not quick, anyway, to go ahead.
Speaker 8: I'll be quick.
Speaker 5: I was having this how I know our phones listeners because I've been having a debate with a mutual friend about how dogs are treated, and some people just don't care. You all know I care very deeply, and so because I was having this debate, I've been getting flooded with all of these videos and pleas and emails and everything about you know how to treat dogs. So this is my cta. Please be kind to animals. I know a lot of people have normalized leaving dogs tied up outside all day. That is a form of animal abuse. Please do not leave your animals inside. There was a hurricane. I saw videos there were people's animals who were literally chained to a fence and pouring down rain. It is so awful, awful, awful, awful. So I would just invite people to consider animals. They're smaller, sweeter, kinder than any human being can ever be. Pitbulls are my absolute favorite. They're the sweetest, kindest dog. I can't stomach animal abuse. I literally I can't look at it and have nightmares about it. I just I don't like it. So my CTAs, Please donate to a SPCA, they do great work. Donate to the Humane Society, Foster a dog. Don't go to breeders. But if you can give an animal a home, please do so. And if you can't, please don't be indifferent to the pain and suffering of animals.
Speaker 6: So that's also feels like an appropriate time to bark or meal?
Speaker 8: Is that now is an appropriate time? Do you bark? Considered a little innocent?
Speaker 5: Cats and dogs all animals though really all animals Like I it's so sad to see how people normalize abuse.
Speaker 6: We should bark like and coming to America, well, I don't.
Speaker 5: We can bark, but I don't want to make light of animals suffering.
Speaker 8: That's the only thing.
Speaker 5: Being very sincere to the people I want y'all to know, I'm sincerely asking you don't be indifferent, even if you don't like it, Like I don't understand wo who dislike dogs, but don't be indifferent to the suffering. If your neighbor keeps a dog tied up outside, that's animal abuse, Like that's not okay. So and if you can't make a dog a part of your family, then don't get one.
Speaker 6: And please make sure you pick up after your dogs.
Speaker 8: Yes, I know I have been accused of.
Speaker 4: Not scooping theo you leave dogs out.
Speaker 5: I have before, I don't I when I have fostered, I have left dog poopoore like.
Speaker 8: I'm not picking up in somebody's yard that I will scoop the poop.
Speaker 6: Well, I also get married with people pick up after the dog and they put.
Speaker 7: The they put they put the dogs in my trash can. I don't want that in my trash can.
Speaker 6: It's nasty and its steak up your trash can.
Speaker 1: I want to everyone to leave us a review and subscribe to Native lampod. We're available on all platforms and YouTube. New episodes drop every Thursday. You can also follow us on social media. We are the Stoop, the Poop Crew, Angela Ride, Tiffany Cross, and Andrew Gellen. Welcome home, y'all been thirty three count on thirty three days until Elation Day.
Speaker 6: Want to let the dogs Outran.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining the Natives attentional with the info and all of the latest Ridegulum and Cross connected to the statements.
Speaker 3: That you leave on our socials.
Speaker 2: Thank you sincerely for the patients reason for your choice is cleared.
Speaker 4: So grateful to execute roads.
Speaker 2: Thank you for serve, defend and protect the truth human and paint for walking home to all.
Speaker 4: Of the natives.
Speaker 3: We thank you.
Speaker 6: Welcome y'all.
Speaker 1: Listen Native lamdpod is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.