Speaker 1: From the Bloomberg Interactive Burgers Studios. This is Bloomberg day Break for Wednesday, May third. Coming up today, the Federal.
Speaker 2: Reserve is expected to hike rates for a tenth straight time.
Speaker 1: But a former Fed president said the Central Bank should not make the move.
Speaker 2: Regional banks remain in focus after yesterday's.
Speaker 1: So off, and the clock is ticking for Washington to cut a deal on the debat ceiling.
Speaker 3: It was a loud meeting over rent increases for New York City apartments. Plus the gunman accused of killing five people in Cleveland, Texas is behind bars. I'm John Tucker Moore Ahead.
Speaker 4: I'm John stashed Aaron's boards. The next beat the heat aside of the series and won. The Lakers won Game one at Golden State, a much did win for the Yankees.
Speaker 5: That's all straight ahead on Bloomberg day Break, the business news you need to sturn your day in just one fifteen minute podcast each morning on Apples, Spotify, the Bloomberg Business app, and everywhere you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 1: And I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 2: We begin this busy news day with a highly anticipated FED meeting. J Powell and company are expected to raise rates for a tenth straight time. Today we get a preview from Bloomberg's Michael McKee.
Speaker 6: Investors are convinced the Fed will raise rates once more by a quarter percentage point, but after that one they're done. They will signal rates are high enough and need to stay there for at least the rest of the year to ensure that inflation continues to slow. The owners for convincing Wall Street they will follow through will fall on Chairman J.
Speaker 4: Powell.
Speaker 6: Markets are pricing in two rate cuts by the end of twenty twenty three. Powell will also get questions about the status of the banking system and regulatory reforms the Central Bank needs to make, and no doubt about the debt ceiling, although that's an issue he's likely to dodge for the time being. Michael McKee, Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 1: All right, Mike.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 1: While the betting on Wall Street is for a twenty five point raid hike, one former FED official wants a different approach. Former Dallas Fed president Robert Kaplan tells us rates should stay where they are.
Speaker 7: I would prefer to do what's called the hawkish pause. Not raise, but signal that we're in a tightening stance because I actually think the banking situation may well be more serious than we currently understand it.
Speaker 1: And former Dallas FED President Robert Kaplan made the comments in an interview with Bloomberg's Kathleen Hayes. Stay tuned for more of that conversation coming up shortly on Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 2: Well, Karen, Kaplan's not the only one asking the Central Bank to pause, so are a couple of lawmakers, including Senators Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders. They wrote a letter to j Powell urging the Fed to stop hiking rates. They cite the recent banking turmoil as a strong reason to pause.
Speaker 1: And Nathan that banking turmoil remains in focus again today. US regional lenders tumbledon yesterday on fresh anxiety over financial stability. Pac West Bancor plunged twenty seven percent, while Western Alliance dropped fifteen percent, and both our lower again this morning. They're down roughly two percent. PGM CEO David Hunt tells us we have yet to feel the full impact of the regional banking crisis.
Speaker 8: We are actually just starting on the implications of the banking crisis that we are now going to see a increased regulation of banks, in particular focused on the regional banks as you mentioned.
Speaker 9: We're also going to.
Speaker 8: See the result of that being a pullback in credit, which will help of course non bank lenders, and we're going to see more bank consolidation.
Speaker 1: And David Hunt of pgmc's widespread fallout, but that's not the view from Larry Summers. The former Treasury secretary tells us the worst of the banking crisis is likely behind us.
Speaker 10: I think that we actually are probably over the vast majority of the banking of the banking traumas. But look, we still have institutions that have looked vulnerable for some time, and those are the ones that are most affected today.
Speaker 1: Former Treasury Secretary Larry Summers made the comments in an interview with Bloomberg's David Weston Catch that interview coming up shortly on the program.
Speaker 2: Well, Karen, A bigger bank is also making headlines this morning. Morgan Stanley is in talks with US prosecutors and regulators to resolve a probe into its block trading practices. We get the details from Bloomberg's Doug Prisner.
Speaker 11: The bank is currently discussing a resolution with the SEC and the US Attorney. Previously, Morgan Stantley said the inquiries focused on whether employees violated securities regulations by sharing or using information on impending block trades. Now Morganstantley has discharged two bankers. The company said the move was tied to allegations about their communications on block trades and client activity. Wall Street has been watching closely as prosecutors probe how banks work with hedge funds and other buyers to privately carry out stock sales big enough to move prices in New York Time. Duck prisoner Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: Gab all right, Doug, thanks man. Now let's shift to politics and get the latest on the debt ceiling debate. The deadline for a potential default just got a little closer, and that means there could be a need for a short term fix. May get the latest from Bloomberg's Amy Morris.
Speaker 12: Between now and June first, when the Treasury could run out of sufficient cash, President Biden and members of the House and Senate our scheduled to be in town at the same time for one week. That's not enough time for the White House and lawmakers to strike a bargain before the deadline. A short term extension is now likely, but could force Republicans to break their promise against a clean debt ceiling bill or force Democrats to concede, setting a precedent before negotiations even begin. Amy Morris, Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 4: Okay, Amy, thank you.
Speaker 2: Along with the deadline, the White House is also under pressure over a potential migrant surge this spring. Now, the Biden administration plans to deploy fifteen hundred members of the US military along the Mexican border. We get that story from Bloomberg's Ed Baxter.
Speaker 13: The administration says there's already been a spike in migration, and Brigadier General pad Ryder says this is a head of an expected surge of migrants once pandemic restrictions are lifted later this month.
Speaker 14: For ninety days, these fifteen hundred military personnel, who will be sourced from the active duty component, will fill critical capability gaps such as ground based detection and monitoring.
Speaker 13: General writer says they will not participate in law enforcement. Immigration is expected to be a major campaign issue in the twenty twenty four election cycle. In San Francisco. I'm at Baxter Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 2: Time Now for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world with Bloomberg's John Tucker.
Speaker 3: Good Morning, John, and Nathan, Tenna and c In New York City's one billion rent stabilized departments are looking at increases After a rent Guidelines Board meeting, the panel offered rent increases of four percent to seven percent for two year leases and two to five percent increases on one year leases. Protesters storm the stage of the meeting, calling for a rent rollback. This woman's spoke to ABC seven.
Speaker 15: How could we afford out increase right now?
Speaker 4: Marthomer, don't have no jobs well.
Speaker 3: The rentike proposals face a final vote next month. Authorities near Houston say they've caught a man suspended of killing five of his neighbors with an ar style rifle. San Jacinto County Sheriff Greg Caper says that thirty eight year old Francisco or Pesa was arrested in connection with his shooting in the town of Cleveland, Texas. He says Orpesa was found hiding in the closet of a home under a pile of laundry after investigators acted on a tip.
Speaker 13: They effectively made the arrest. He is uninjured and he is currently being taken to my facility in Cole Springs.
Speaker 3: Authority to say the shooting began late Friday after the neighbors had confronted or Pesa about firing a gun in his yard late at night. New York City Mayor Eric Adams once again accusing Texas Governor Greg Abbott of targeting black mayors with buses full of migrants.
Speaker 15: Governor Abbott sent assilunce seekers to New York, black mayor, to Washington, black mayor, to Houston, black mayor, to Los Angeles, black mayor to Denver black mayor. He passed over thousands of cities to land here.
Speaker 3: A Governor Abbitt's office says the migrants chose for themselves which cities to travel to. Donald Trump's attorneys says the former president will not testify at a civil trial in New York. This comes after two women testified yesterday in supportive writer Ejen Carroll, who claims Trump raped her in the nineteen nineties. He has denied that it looks likely to be a long grind for Hollywood writers who've gone on strike to preserve pay and hang on to job security. Members of the Writers Guild of America picketing in New York and Los Angeles after their contract expired. It's the first writer's strike in fifteen years. Global News twenty four hours day powered bye more than twenty seven hundred journalists and analyst in over one hundred and twenty countries. I'm John Tucker, the Sea's Bloomberg Nathan.
Speaker 4: Thank you, John.
Speaker 2: Time out for the Bloomberg Sports Update with John stash Out.
Speaker 4: Thanks Nathan. The Knicks lost Game one to the Heat. Miami star Jimmy Butler didn't play Game two at the Garden due to a sprained ankle, and yet the Knicks trailed for most of the night. Jalen Brunson was zero for seven on three pointers in the opener. He called his play horrific, and he didn't play well first half of Game two. But then Brunston came alive, as in the left sideline cross Robinson a switch take some baseline tries to come up pill a bit step off the paint shotle the fat scorchch ties the game at ninety three. Time out Miami JHN ESPN Yerk Brunston scored thirty points. He made six three pointers. The Knicks pulled out the game to win one to eleven.
Speaker 9: One O five.
Speaker 4: Julius Randall back from his ankle injury. He was terrific. He scored twenty five with twelve rebounds in eighty SI RJ. Barrett out at twenty four and the series is tight. To won Game three not until Saturday in Miami. Game one in the West, the Lakers beat Golden State for Anthony Davis thirty points twenty three rebounds. Celtics and Sixers. Game two tonight in Boston. Philly won the opener without Joel Embiid and he is not expected to play tonight. Embiid was just named NBA MVP Stanley Cup Playoffs. Florida and Seattle both off game seven wins down the road, and they won Game one's of Round two on the road the Panthers in Toronto, the Kracking in Dallas and overtime. The Devils off their game seven wins start their series tonight at Carolina at the Stadium. Much didn't win for the Yankees. They had dropped seven to last nine. They trailed Cleveland two nothing came back to win four to two. Home runs for Anthony Boll playing Willie Calhoun. The Mets reigned out for the third time in four days. They'll play at day night doubleheader today in Detroit. Bryce Harper's first game for the Phillies, he went oh for four and the loss of the Dodgers. Harper back earlier and expected from Tommy John Surgery, johns Stashedward. Bloomberg Sports.
Speaker 5: From coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, DC, nationwide on Syrias exam the Bloomberg Business Appen Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning. I'm Nathan Hager. To hike or to pause? That is the question for the Federal Open Market Committee, and we will find out this afternoon what the committee does about interest rates when its May meeting draws to a close. But opinion is divided among leading economic voices. So let's bring those voices to you now. In a conversation with Bloomberg's Kathleen Hayes, sherry On and Heidi Stroud Watts, former Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas president Robert Kaplan called for a hawkish pause amid regional bank turmoil. Let's bring you part of that conversation.
Speaker 9: You think the FED should pause, Why, Yeah.
Speaker 7: I do think they should pause for a few reasons. One is, I think we're in the early stages, not the late stages, of this banking situation. I think there's been a pretty significant change for the prospects of small and mid sized banks. They provide most of the lending to small mid sized businesses in the United States, and we've just seen the first phase of this, which is the asset liability mismatch, which is sort of the most obvious issue, but the credit issues are about to start, and I think that's why you're seeing the reaction in the markets. The other issue for me is from a risk management point of view, if I were sitting in the seat, I think it's more important to be able to sustain the current rate for an extended period of time, longer than the market thinks, then get another twenty five or fifty basis points and risk having to cut again. I think that would be very troubling. And I'd say one more comment if I were at the FED, I'd call out that we need a whole of government approach to fight inflation. Right now, the FED is saying we've got this.
Speaker 9: We can solve it. I don't think that's the case.
Speaker 7: I would prefer to do what's called the hawkish pause, but signal that we're in a tightening stance, because I actually think the banking situation may well be more serious than we currently understand, and I'd like to turn over a few more cards rather than regret not doing that three months from now.
Speaker 16: Okay, put on your former golden vice chair hat. If you were advising a desk, a trading desk, an investment desk.
Speaker 9: What do you think the risk is now?
Speaker 16: Have we not seen the end of it? It seems we know that there's shorts out there. Are there?
Speaker 9: No people are nervous?
Speaker 16: But is there fundamental risk right now that could keep this small and medium sized banking turmoil problem going?
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Normally when we're discussing problems with banks, it's after we've been through a credit cycle. We have not been we haven't even started the credit cycle. We've just had an asset liability mismatch issue where banks were overinvested in long term treasuries and bank equity has been marked down just based on that. We've got the credit issues yet to come, we're at a different stage in the cycle. And there's also potential deposit instability down the road when those credit issues start to unfold. And so I would say we're in the second or third inning of this situation, not the first inning or seventh inning. I should say we just finished the first phase potentially, but there's a lot more to go. The credit phase, I think normally is more serious.
Speaker 17: Robert, on your point about pausing at this moment, you don't expect that there might be the risk that if you pause at this level, then you might be forced to hike again like we saw with ASTRADI the eye and what is really more detrimental to credibility at this point.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So I think there's a way to position this. And let's say they raise then pause, or they pause and signalog so called hawkish pause. Either way, the rhetoric needs to be that the FED stands ready to raise rates. All you're doing is we've raised a lot very quickly.
Speaker 9: We want to absorb and digest some of it.
Speaker 7: I think people will understand it, think it's prudent, but signal we're prepared to do more. And I think the markets will understand that message. If they give that message.
Speaker 17: And your concerns about credit tightening coming out of time when we saw the Jewel's numbers really fall, we're seeing layoffs out of a two three year high. How concerning is this for the most vulnerable part of this of the American population, especially when you're thinking that a lot of people will be left out when inflation is this fast.
Speaker 9: So normally at this stage you worry about the unemployed.
Speaker 7: Right now, we're in a crisis of the employed. The problem that's going on out there, fifty million workers that make fifty thousand dollars a year or less cannot make ends meet, okay, And part of it is there's been a substantial amount of fiscal spending which hasn't stopped, by the way, and substantial about monetary easing, and really the low moderate income families are paying the price of it. So you do need some adjustment in the labor market. We've got demographically in the United States shortage of workers for as far as the eye can see, at fifty thousand or less, and so I think you could tolerate some loosening in the labor market. I'm more worried about the family who is working that tells me they can't make ends meet, and that is a widespread group of people right now.
Speaker 16: Does the FED to deserve bear responsibility for what is happening to these banks.
Speaker 7: I don't blame the FED for making the hikes, although I would have eased off monetary policy a couple of years ago so these weren't necessary. But once they had to do it, I don't blame it for that. I do think there's a problem with a lack of supervision once they knew they were in a hiking mode, and I think it was up to the FED to supervise and make sure that if there were outliers, like two of the largest fifteen banks, that they caught that earth early so we wouldn't be going through what we're going through right now.
Speaker 16: You left the FED at twenty twenty one, the new framework was being put in place. The new framework said, oh, we're not going to raise rates until we're well above two percent, until we've got maximum employment. Is that another factor that helped set the stage for where we are now?
Speaker 9: It might have, As you know.
Speaker 7: I dissented on the guidance in the September of twenty twenty. It was only descent I ever made at the FED. But I dissented because I thought locking into that guidance did not make sense, and I wish that that hadn't been done. But yes, that may have led the FED to be more inclined to keep buying bonds to be later to raise rates. And I've said many many times taking the foot off the accelerator earlier would have made it so they didn't have to slam on the brakes like they're doing right now.
Speaker 16: What do you think is the big challenge for the FED and the federal government?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 9: Here's the issue.
Speaker 7: There's the monetary policy element of this cyclical part, but we've got a few other issues. We need more fiscal discipline. We still have a lot of fiscal spending in the pipeline. And right now the federal government, in my view, is working in some ways at cross purposes with the FED energy policy, and the integration to the transition is being done on the backs of low modern income families. There's many actions outside the FED that are making it harder for people making fifty grand a year or less to make ends meet. And yes, I think you want a whole of government approach to inflation, not just a FED does this alone.
Speaker 17: Approach, and I mean we come back to always a US debt sealing issues, default possibilities, you enforced. We know sort of where this is going. But if we continue to see that stand of what will be the implications.
Speaker 7: So there's the back and forth of the standoff, which is going to stress people out. But there's a real issue in here. As we sit here right now, we haven't even gone into a downturn. The deficit is right now already ten percent of GDP. We actually have a legitimate issue about the need for more fiscal restraint.
Speaker 9: And if this.
Speaker 7: Game of chicken, I don't like the tactics, and I don't think it's healthy to be threatening or making people worried about default.
Speaker 9: But the discussion about controlling.
Speaker 7: Spending is necessary, and I think fifty million families that can't make ends meet out there, I think might welcome that debate.
Speaker 16: Final quick quick question, quick answer in June, in July, in August, are we still going to be where we are? Is the FED going to in effect have been done hiking rates?
Speaker 9: Do you think there's more to come?
Speaker 16: How is this going to play out?
Speaker 7: I think getting from where we are down to say four percent headline inflation will be doable. I think what we're going to find is it's going to be very sticky to get headline inflation. That the wage price spiral of people making fifty thousand or less is alive and well and intense, and that's going to affect services inflation. So I think this is going to be a two or three year battle, not a six month battle.
Speaker 2: And that was former Dallas FED President Robert Kaplan speaking there with Bloomberg's Kathleen Hayes, sherry On and Heidi Stroud watts Well. Robert Kaplan calls for a hawkish pause. Former Treasury Secretary Larry Summers says the Fed should remain just plain hawkish. In a discussion with Bloomberg's David West, and Summers talked about a potential rate hike today as well as the dead ceiling. Let's listen into that.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 18: We heard from Jamie Diamond after the First Republic that you thought pretty much we were over maybe there'd be a small under left. Looks like we're not over this. Whatever it is right at this point, how did we get here? Why does this keep going on?
Speaker 10: I think that we actually are probably over the vast majority of the banking of the banking traumas. But look, we still have institutions that have looked vulnerable for some time, and those are the ones that are most affected today. We still have concerns about commercial real estate and what that's going to mean for the credit worthiness of a number of institutions. There are still questions that are going to be around. I'm concerned today, but I have to say I'm not highly alarmed by what's happening in the banking sector. I'm frankly more alarmed about what's happening in the political sector, where it's clear that we've only got a certain amount of time and something's got to come together, where something very serious is going to happen before that.
Speaker 18: Is there a more systemic effect here because we have a lot of banks and appears actually have liabilities greater than their assets at this point because of the reduced value of the assets because of the rapid increase in the interest rates. Is there a larger issue of solvency that respect to a lot of US banks at this point.
Speaker 10: I think there is some alarmism in the calculations you're describing because it insufficiently recognizes that yes, if you hold a bond or you hold a mortgage and the interest rate goes up, the value of that mortgage goes down. But equally, if you're having a deposit and that deposit is at a low interest rate and so you're going to be able to earn a spread, there's an asset there, and when interest rates go up, the value of that asset goes up. And so I think it's kind of alarmist and wrong to focus on the first adjustment and not pay attention to the second adjustment. So, yes, absolutely we have not been as careful in thinking about interest rate increases as we should have been. I think it was kind of amazing and very unfortunate that FED stress testing didn't put weight on interst rate increased scenarios in the way that it should have, And that's an important intellectual failure by the Federal Reserve system. But I also think that the kind of analysis that your sighting are probably overly alarmist.
Speaker 18: Learn let's come back to the issue raised by the debt ceiling. You've been in these jobs, so when there's a crisis, and sometimes they come in pairs. Right now, we have the banking on the one hand, and the debt selling on the other how do you handle those simultaneous potential crises.
Speaker 10: I think on the debt limit issue, you have parties that may not always be rooting for success, and you also have entities like the Republican Caucus, where you're negotiating with somebody, but you're not really sure of what the person you're negotiating with can or cannot deliver, and that makes this say, more difficult kind of situation.
Speaker 18: Let's talk about the Federal reserves. How does this affect potential of their decision the past. You said you think twenty five basis points is in the cards for May. Can they hike into a banking crisis?
Speaker 10: Anyone in the federal reserve system who was inclined to use language that was committing to further hikes in June should surely hesitate because we don't know how this is going to metastasize. At the same time, I think for the Fed to signal in a definitive way that they were finished would be to take a substantial risk of locking into what turns out to be a mistaken path, and would also perhaps be taken by the market as a seek sign of significant alarm. So what I'm going to be looking for and hoping for from the FED is a move upwards and a clear recognition of uncertainty and agnosticism with respect to what's coming.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 1: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh six y one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, serious XM Channel one nineteen, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 1: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak