Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to Season three, twenty six, Episode two of Daily.
Speaker 2: Bye production of My Heart Radio.
Speaker 3: This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into America shit conscious Now.
Speaker 1: And it is Tuesday, February twentieth, twenty twenty four gets me every time, get away in one. We're way in the future twenty four hot damn to twenty twenty four. You know what, that is a lot of twes miles. I can tell you that much.
Speaker 2: Hey, it is too many Tues twenty two twos? Is that a JAYZ song? Anyway? Too many National Leadership Day, National Comfy Day, Get Comfortable, Okay, but that's also probably some branding shit. National Muffin Day, I'll tell you this, Big muffin is not behind that one. National Love your Pet Day and National Cherry Pie Day. I think it warrants its own day.
Speaker 1: Hey yeah, yeah, and so on and so on, like remember what's that summer? She my cher cherry pie?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 1: It's like she's my my chair.
Speaker 2: She was my type of guy.
Speaker 1: God flye super fly. Well, speaking of bad singing, my name is Jack O'Brien aka.
Speaker 2: This is Hudson News. You fucker. You'll be broke.
Speaker 1: When we are done, pay your three pay checks for checks mix, watn't you cry some more? And then forty five minutes guitar solo just with my mouth. That is courtesy Macaroni on the discord, Little Kansas. Tell you yeah, and shout out to Hudson News checks next. At least they're not consistent, not like that. At least it's not thirteen dollars everywhere.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, No, it was like I said, like I said four ninety nine at LAX. Couldn't believe it. I don't believe it. I can't believe it.
Speaker 1: And I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host, mister Miles Gras.
Speaker 2: It's Miles grayk the Lord of Lancashim. You already know it's the real Nojo Hank because I'm from NoHo and you can take that to the bank. Uh. And I'm also bald, so that kind of also works too. Anyway, shout out to just me in North Hollywood. I'm at the time. I'm I'm I'm I'm not out. I'm I'm in the real world right now. You're out about in atl Georgia. Yeah, we do for you exactly. I mean yeah, if you look like I said, I'm on that kryptonite, as everybody knows, so find me there. Yeah. Well, it's great to have you. It does. Thank you so much, so much. Sounds like I got a little jet leg Joe Namath in there is. Are you feeling a little less? Well? Three hours is nothing, you know, and I could care less about my No, you know, I'm not. No, three hours isn't bad. I'm not like that. One doesn't throw me off at all. Three hours because it's kind of like the difference between like being a scumbag or having a shit together. It's like I'm just kind of slept in late or or you come back and you're like, yeah, man, I'm ready to go with fucking six in the morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I I like that.
Speaker 1: I like my inability to deal with time changes being having my shit together.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that. No, I'm saying the Wade expresses itself like when you're up earlier. It's not like I'm like fuck, I'm all up, but like the like a you know, responsible morning person time. Yeah yeah, yeah, which is good for me because I'm not a morning person.
Speaker 1: Well, Miles, we're thrilled to be joined in our third seat by a very talented producer, musicians, streamer, esports commentator, one of the very first people to.
Speaker 2: Work on this show with us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's constantly streaming everything because he is that bitch on Twitch. He's a resident gaming expert.
Speaker 2: It's DJ Dannel good Man.
Speaker 3: A ka East Coast Daniel coming in live. Beep beep, I'm walking here.
Speaker 2: In New York. Light of the mix? How is it going one hundred in the house? That was? That was? That is incredible? That was good?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and several other New York related things.
Speaker 2: Is d one hundred New York?
Speaker 1: I forget I've lived in some new I had a Z ninety three in Dayton, Ohio. Shout up to Z ninety three. That was the cool station when I was like, you know, twelve, But yeah, that brought me back.
Speaker 2: Man, Well, so you're embracing. Look, people who don't know, Look, Daniel is West Coasting. You know, he's born and raised in l A. And now he's living he's relocated to the big, Big Apple, and we shouldn't give away actually, we shouldn't give away his location like that. That's fucked up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, he's in a B city in the East Coast.
Speaker 2: You are in the you're in the Lower east Side.
Speaker 3: And you're going on house.
Speaker 1: You're not supposed to let our guests know that we have a tracker on that.
Speaker 2: Wait, but you I'm sorry. The thing that caught my attention is you're identifying as East Coast Daniel.
Speaker 3: Now it's just kind of a joke because now that I've moved to the East Coast, my friends have said I'm more salty, and they called me East Coast Dannel anytime I pushed back even a little bit in the wow yow wow, Okay, East Coast Daniel coming out.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, salty?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, sorry, I had to wear a jacket today.
Speaker 2: All right, I had to wear a jacket today. Exactly my feet became Tim's. It's crazy quite literally, foot is a Tim Now it's all Black air Force one facts.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I'm really selling drugs out here with my all black forces. That's around the corner.
Speaker 2: Have you. I don't know if you saw. There's like there's like this whole wave of like older people on social media who are discovering what the all like black on black air Force means. There's like a teacher, that's all. It is, like principal TikTok, like, yeah, my students were like complimenting my sneaker game. And then some people just started being like, oh your trouble, and She's like I thought I just had a cool sneaker on, and then I found out this is a boon shoe.
Speaker 1: That I was associated with. Referees and priests. Right, they're black on black sneaker. Just wait, priests wear black on black sneakers. They're not wearing leather shoe. I mean they like sometimes most often I'd say they wear the like etonic all medically designed, all black. Yeah, sure, you know, like got like nurse shoes or whatever. But I've definitely seen I remember growing up in the church thinking like, why do priests and referees shop at the same shoe store?
Speaker 2: How can we never and how can we never see them together at the same time. My priests is God's referee. You know what I'm saying exactly, Dan. I don't think I have to tell you this now that you're on the East Coast, But stay preyed up, stay prayed up, man, Stay up, bro, please right bro. I doubled over. I doubled over in my chair. I stay preyed up.
Speaker 1: That was stay preyed up. I mean that's like a week and a half old at this point.
Speaker 2: But yeah, rather than eat, pray, love, stay preyed up, stay preyed up.
Speaker 1: Thank you wonderful or you didn't get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, let's tell the listeners just like, what what you're here to talk about today? I can I can?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Say, we've been having AI and tech experts on yeah, and.
Speaker 2: When we're like when does a new GTA come out? Thank you?
Speaker 3: Thank you? Loser?
Speaker 2: Doctor?
Speaker 1: Why do you keep putting doctor in quotes whenever you say this because I.
Speaker 2: Didn't know you had doctor? When's the new g TA come out? Then? If you're so fucking smart? Hey sing the lyrics the asap rocky song that was on the GTA five track soundtrack, Go Go.
Speaker 1: No, okay, but yeah, you know, in between doing gloom conversations about like job loss, and conversations asking hey remember and terminator two when terminators like come with me if you want to live?
Speaker 2: Remember that? Is that gonna happen?
Speaker 1: We asked one I think it was our first AI expert asked him what made him hope?
Speaker 2: Hopeful.
Speaker 1: You know what, what's the good thing that AI could bring to the world, right, And he was like, I'm a gamer, and I think it's gonna make games sick, make and so I'm just kind of viewing that you are plugged into the world of gaming. Yes, I'm excited to talk to you about like where we're at in this moment. You know, AI hasn't fully plugged into the gaming world, but it seems like there's a lot of cool shit on the horizon his way.
Speaker 2: So we're going to talk about that.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get a gaming insider's point of view. But before we do any of that bullshit, it Dan, Well, we do like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history?
Speaker 3: Well recently, my most recent one was ikea eket help reddit because let me tell you something, there's no better place to learn about the things you're doing wrong when you're building something on Ikea than to search the name of the device or thing plus help plus reddit, because when you're building five of the same cabinet and you fuck up the first one, you're like, I gotta I have to see what I did wrong here and come back and try a count.
Speaker 2: I have to see what Reddit has to say. Did you do? I mean as someone who would do a lot of like promotional marketing and have to like buy cheap IKEA stuff for a display, I know this product well, oh cabinet yes, yes, yes, and the two door cabinet was shelf yeah, or the even more minimal one which is like the one cube box that sometimes people would use for like a cool product display. What went wrong with I? For me, I believe that it's a simple assembly, but what exactly what had occurred? It is?
Speaker 3: It is a simple assembly. I will say the square the small squares are are shockingly simple. They are. But the thing about the two door shelf one is that if you don't level those doors correctly, if you don't level that shelf correctly before you put those doors in, you're getting some doors that are like like yeah, yeah, some doors that are like that. You look back and you're like doors that are what did we do?
Speaker 2: Kill? Doors?
Speaker 3: Doors? The doors that are like you close it in, one is just a little bit above the other, and it's enough so that it's like I can't look at that all the time. Yeah, they need to be level yeah, and it's it's only when you go to Reddit and search the actual instructions that someone tells you. Yeah, you know how they tell you to do it in this order, don't do it in that order. Don't put the little things that hold things in place in in the middle. Only do that at the end, when you're holding everything in place, you have the doors level, then slip in the little black clips that hold their everything in place, because otherwise you will have it in that level, you won't have your doors set in yet, and the whole thing could look fucked up. And that's what happened. So, you know, a little disappointing argument. Later, we figured it out and then we basically built four cabinets in the time it took us to build the first cabinet.
Speaker 2: Okay, and you and you and your lovely partner did survive, and Ikia, we did.
Speaker 3: We did for you, We did for you. It was you know what we we u We're stronger for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was pouring down love to hear that, love to hear that that's for you. Guys.
Speaker 1: Were you able to like unbuild and reassemble the one that didn't Because I've had some issues with Ikia stuff where it's like, well, we're fucked now. The wooden pin or what the little wooden nub that held us in place invocably fucked? Yeah, I can't get that out. We're done. This is just how we live now.
Speaker 3: Thankfully with a little flat iron or a yeah, flat iron screwdriver. What was it called? Flathead?
Speaker 2: Flat flathead?
Speaker 3: Thank you? Flat iron is wow? So New York pilled New York or pilled over here, flatted screwdriver. I was able to pull out some of those black pins, enable to kind of recenter the whole thing and then slip them back in, So it was no big deal. It just took a little bit of redditing and a little bit of come on.
Speaker 2: What's that one? What's that one?
Speaker 1: The statue of liberty? A screwdriver phillips phillips it phillips head. Sorry, I thought it was a statue of liberty because I'm from New York.
Speaker 2: Here, you got me, I'm screwing.
Speaker 3: It screwdriver Yankees head exactly, I'm on mets head, screwdriver.
Speaker 2: He burrows or something.
Speaker 1: Anyways, it's wildly offensive to anybody from New York.
Speaker 2: What it beat up?
Speaker 3: Instantly on I haven't already anyway.
Speaker 2: It's the flatteeron screwdriver.
Speaker 1: Guy, You're gonna park your car somewhere and turn around, and then when you come back, it's just gonna be on bricks. Ye oh yeah, that's classip car.
Speaker 2: They're gonna they're gonna break down your zip car, man, exactly.
Speaker 3: What h What's something you think is overrated? Overrated? Fancy chili Crisp. I've been seeing a lot of these as I'm doing my shopping. I've been seeing a lot of fly by Jing. I've been seeing a lot of these other chili crisp companies that are charging like fifteen dollars for a tiny little bottle of chili crisp. And I'm like, please scoot over, Laogan Ma only please getting a big old jar for the fridge, because, as you know, being a New York guy, now, we had to rebuild an entire pantry, and one of the most crucial items in my pantry is, of course the Laugama chili Crisp.
Speaker 2: If it ain't got if it ain't got that face on it, bro, you know what I'm saying. We really do a big face chili Crisp jars.
Speaker 3: Out here, big faces only. Yeah, But it was just one of those things where it's like you go to the store and you see like six different kinds that are all four times as much as a smaller or as like the same size bottle of Lagaman, Like why why even do this? Why even try and sell this product that is so like far inferior to the og og lau gama, So shout out lagam. This is more like it's not the thing is, but here's the thing. It's like it's almost an underrated but it's not because Loagama is I think perfectly rated. It's that all of this other shit is completely overrated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just one of those things too, where it's like if you're used to buying chili crisp or cooking with it and then like this because I know, like the person I think is from like Chengdu or sorr family's from Chengdu, who does fly by Jing where you're kind of like but there is already a version of that, and I get the marketing's better for this, but sure, okay, but that's how so many things Welcome to the New World, man, amen Amen.
Speaker 1: Logo is like, you know, it's great, like the woman is just looking without any completely joy, just yeah, dead eyed. Yeah, like just couldn't care less for me as I look at this, you know, just like it's like, why are you interrupting me? I'm making chili crisp. It's like, yeah, I needed to take a picture for the logo. It's so authentically like just something that could not have possibly been created in the United States, right, No, you know exactly.
Speaker 2: Well because you need sort of like this happens. Like I feel like with my old older Asian relatives, they don't know how to pose for a picture, like pose for one, you know what I mean, They'll be in a fucking picture, but they don't know they don't pose. Like I feel like every time we take like pictures of my aunts and uncles, they're just like and we're looking at the camera and it's but there's no like geeze, like let me do with like a fucking pose or something like that. Yeah, and this one just truly has When you're looking off camera too, like like she is on the jar, it's like.
Speaker 1: A thousand yards stare. No smile, like not a not a face that is not currently smiling, a face that has not smiled and maybe decades.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the furrowed brow is like, sorry, I got my eye on a batch. I'm cooking up right now? Are we done here?
Speaker 3: Truly?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Thank you? I need to get cooking.
Speaker 1: There's also there's a European maybe it's I don't know exactly. I saw it a lot in Italy, but a European beer brand that I drank a lot when I was young and in Italy, and the guy on the logo appears to be weeping into his beer like he looks so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm already yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. He's like I just couldn't couldn't look any sadder.
Speaker 1: But in America, like you look at the Quaker Oats guy and he like he's just like he looks so pleased to see you, and it's just like, yeah, that was probably you know, it went through a huge round of design and focus group testing, like can we make his smile a little bit more serene, a little bit more like just letting you know, everything's gonna be all, that death doesn't come for us all.
Speaker 2: We just let him.
Speaker 1: And that's what I get from the Quaker oas guys, Like what if we got somebody who smile was so serene that even though he looks like the Poulter Geist guy. He like kind of erases your memory of the culture geist guy, and he happy gives you happy memories of the Poulter Gheist guy. All right, what is What's something you think is underrated?
Speaker 3: This one was easy? Buffalo chicken dip. Now, I know some of you are thinking, I think it's perfectly rated. I think people really like it, and I'm like, I agree with you. However, I see it at far too few super Bowl parties, at far too few Fourth of July is at far too few events where buffalo chicken dip would be a perfect thing to have on your appetizer table. You could take a scoop, put it on your plate, dip it yourself. You could take a chip straight to the lake, crusee or whatever kind of pot you have it in. Oh literally, just like you need to be having buffalo chicken dip at so many of these different incase because it is a one hit rate dip. It combines buffalo chicken taste. Wings that you know are I think one of the most favorable finger foods there are.
Speaker 2: It's dip chicken wings yesterday.
Speaker 3: I'd love to hear that. Yeah, Okay, more on that in a second. It's a dip, so it's so easily accessible, something you can eat as much of or as little of as you want. Just want a little bit of buffalo chicken dip. Take one chip to it, a boom. You've had your taste and it's good. It also only has four ingredients, and that right there is enough to make it one of the best dips you can possibly have. It is so easy to make. It takes ten minutes. You can get everything at literally any grocery store. Yeah, and it's good. Buffalo chicken dip underrated. It should be at every party.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: My one complaint with a buffy chicky dip is it's when it gets cold, it gets it gets pretty solid. It makes it hard for my chips.
Speaker 2: You you gotta.
Speaker 3: It's one of those things that you may have to throw it back in the oven. I've done that before, where I've made a big old thing a buff chick dip. We've gotten halfway through, it's gotten halftime to the Super Bowl. We're watching Rihanna and we're like, I think we need to throw those back in the oven while we're watching Rihanna, and then we take it out for the third quarter and people are like, oh, we a lot. You're absolutely right, You're yeah, it gets thick quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the hard that's the only thing that's only only knock against it, because like there are times you pull up be like, oh it's buffalo chip and chicken dip, and then you break your fingers you try to dip something in it, right, Like that's why you should have came when it came out.
Speaker 3: That's fair. It takes management. But you know what, I think you could say something similar about most hot dips. Hot dips in general have that quality where it's like it is their multi quality that makes them good. And once they get to that solid or that like room tempt, you're like this, this spin a charge joke too. It needs to go back and they needs to go back in a little bit.
Speaker 2: Or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is kind of the quicker thicker chipper chicker dipper.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm, no, M.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I was working out over here on my math.
Speaker 3: Sheet scrap paper. I did say four ingredients though, I'm just going to share them with anybody who's hearing this and doesn't want to go look it up for themselves or find some over complicated chicken dip. That's going to tell you to do too much. One whole rotisserie chicken. Two packets of cream cheese, the regular kind or whatever kind you want. You can go less fat if you said, yeah, like you know, you know when you get like one of those you know, like a square, like a batular b Yeah, hey, use a.
Speaker 2: Real fucking language.
Speaker 3: Brock Philly cream cheese, one cup of Frank's Red Hot, one cup of ranch, no choice, mix it all together.
Speaker 2: No, can't do Frank's Red Hot.
Speaker 3: Sorry, okay, well, okay, then any kind of specifically vinegar based hot sauce if you want to Gods or anything like that. Crystal totally works as well. That's fine.
Speaker 2: Sorry to add that, Frank.
Speaker 3: It's important, No, I I appreciate that. It's important. Blue cheese crumbles, and the blue cheese crumbles are strictly to sprinkle throughout. So you take the brochesss rey chicken, strip it down, throw it in there. Then you throw in the cream cheese. Make sure it's room temps so it's easier to spread. Then you throw in the ranch and the hot sauce. Really mix that up, and then when you're plating it, do a bottom layer buffalo cheese crumble or buffalo up. Sorry, blue cheese crumbles, another layer blue cheese crumbles, another layer of blue cheese crumbles. And if you want to top it off with some other shredded cheddar or some other mix, go off. I don't think it needs it, but that's your buffalo chicken tap throw it in the oven. Twenty minutes at four hundred.
Speaker 1: You're good, and you are gonna want to brick carry those bricks of Philly in a briefcase, in a briefing and exchange those for carry gold butter pets. There you go like that, which we have discussed is a fair currency, the currency of this podcast. And also, yeah, when you buy the bricks at the store, if they're not saran wrapped in basiline, that's not the right dime.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 1: You We're gonna have to cut those with a little pocket knife and case.
Speaker 2: There your finger in there exactly, and then go, no, this ship's been this sh it's been stepped on like a fucking tap dance in stage. Bro. All right, let's uh.
Speaker 1: By the way, I was hoping this would be our dumbest expert episode, and I think we're I think.
Speaker 2: We're well on track. We're in a good place to make this possible.
Speaker 1: Thanks, all right, let's uh, let's take not that you're our dumbest expert, but probably let's be the one where.
Speaker 2: We indulge our zanier sides where they're not. We're not caught in between having serious conversations with academics or high minded people who barely know what we thread the needle of. Like, okay, don't put them off so much that they're like they it was a waste of my time. T one thousand or the arm Who you got? Yeah? Who you got? Hey? Doctor? Who you got? Are we gonna talk about my my Nobel prize winning work? Yeah? Yeah? In a second. In a second, do you want to ask you who you got? You think when she was holding onto that chain link fence when the when the blast hits that she could still be holding onto the gate and be like and then the stuff thatsh's coming off her bones? I think she just blow right off the fence, right doctor? Or is it a crypt keeper situation? I mean, giving crip creeper virus, what do we got?
Speaker 1: That shit turns her into a crypt keeper?
Speaker 2: Right fence? Love it all right?
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break and we'll be right back, and we're back and yeah, So I don't know. I have this like two ways of thinking of AI and like technological progress in general. On the one hand, when it's like coming from a corporate overlord and they're like, it's gonna make it's gonna make humans irrelevant, it's gonna make everything so fast and easy, it kind of becomes nightmares and reductive. But when I hear, first of all, when I just hear anybody talking about actually working with that AI, the thing that gets them excited is like I get to play with this thing, like it's fun to play with. And then yeah, like as we were saying before, when our AI experts came on, they were like, there're gonna be fun, Like AI is gonna make video games more fun to play, Like it's you're going to have a toy that can like kind of be your own little playmate that gets better and more fun to play with. But just generally, I guess, before we get into the future of gaming, I was curious if you could give us just like a snapshot overview where we at right now, thirty seconds go.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm just kidding, Well, please tell Jack where he is. He's confused Mexico or Egypt. I'm not quite.
Speaker 3: Sure where the games are set right now. So you know, when you sent me the prompt for this episode, it did send me on an interesting path of kind of exploring where AI was in video games. And I thought it was important to kind of set up, like you were asking for, where video games are now and actually what the last four or five years of video games have been to get to the point where we are now, because the short answer to your question is we are actually on the cusp of AI really taking a place in video games. We're seeing it ever so slightly. And something we're going to talk about later a very popular game right now called Powell World. And I'm sure that there are some listeners who are saying, oh, I know what this is going to be about, and somebody they're saying, I have no idea what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: And also the World Pale Gatsole game where you nailed a different versions of the Pale Gastle.
Speaker 3: Power World.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I'm familiar. I've been saying they needed to invent this for a long Yeah. And then you're raising Kobe's daughters as your own Jesus Christ. Okay, anyway, I mean there's some it's never mind people who know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: Okay, anyway, I just want to talk about how video games used to be, what what video games were like for me growing up, and for most people growing up, video games were sixty dollars fifty to sixty dollars for one video game. What you played really depended on what your friends were playing. I bought a console because all my friends were playing X. I bought my first console because a lot of my friends were playing Mario and Zelda. And then a bunch of my friends were playing Final Fantasy, but I missed out on that because I didn't have a PlayStation. I had it N sixty four. Then I got a PlayStation two because a lot of my friends were playing Devil May Cry in games like that. But because of that, I missed out on Super Smash Brothers, Melee because I didn't have a game cue. This story is kind of tale as old as time, because you know, I think most kids probably grew up in a one console at a time household. To those who had multiple consoles, you know, props to you. I'm happy to hear that most of most read.
Speaker 1: Many friends, but they didn't really like you.
Speaker 3: They they didn't like it. It's not really like you exactly. Another thing that was a big part of the you know, kind of origins of multiplayer video gaming was very limited internet connectivity. It wasn't until the OG Halo two, one of the very first console games to offer online connectivity and multiplayer, that people were really starting to play with each other outside of their couches and outside of their houses. And that's kind of how gaming used to be. Gaming was very much playing on your couch with your friends. It was I have this console, that's all I can play. I got this because all my friends are playing this. It was very limited, it was not very It wasn't a super democratized place because it was so focused on what you had or what your friends had, and like, you know, I don't want to say peer pressured, but you wanted to play with your buds, so you kind of had to adhere to what was the thing at the time. And that's what gaming really used to be. And over the last couple of years of gaming, we have seen an incredible shift in that dynamic. We have seen a huge push for things being cross platform, things being on not just Xbox and PlayStation, but also on mobile phones, on switch, on PC, being able to play with anybody anywhere thanks to games like Fortnite or even pubg To a certain extent, we also saw the rise in esports, people being able to participate in the culture of video games without actually having to play them, being able to watch people and esports even goes into like Twitch streaming and stuff like that. The culture of video games being something that you can participate in even if you don't have that console, even if you don't have time to play that game, you can still participate because you have access to what that game looks like, what it feels like, because you're watching pros or you're watching somebody do a let's play. We've also seen different genres of video games creates a world that works for pretty much everybody. And what I mean by that is there are people that look at video games as strictly things like Call of Duty or Madden. It's like your simulation shooting or sports video game experience. But in the last couple of years, we've seen games like The Last of Us. We've seen games like Balder Skate three. We've seen games like Death Stranding, these single player experienced games that offer some of the most rich storytelling, some of the most avant garde art ever seen in video games, and some of the most deep kind of character creative experiences, allowing hundreds of different permutations of experiences, such that your experience playing the same game could be completely different to somebody else's. You're seeing the world of video games open up doors for anybody who wants to get into them in any capacity. It's not just about what your friends have anymore. It's about how you want to experience this new storytelling art form in any capacity you want to. And those are what the last couple of years have really really opened up for video games. Another thing that I've opened up is the ability to create video games. Another thing that you asked me about, and you know, a little sport not spoiler, like a little behind the curtain for everybody here. Jack had a bunch of questions that were put into the dock that we have for this episode, and they were awesome, awesome questions, and I do want to get to.
Speaker 2: All of them, but I wonder, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: I wanted to lay this groundwork for like where video games have been and where they are now, because that is kind of crucial to understanding why certain things are important, or like why certain games become important and why they enter the zeitgeist. So what I want to start with first is the genre of the battle royale. In twenty seventeen, a game called player Unknown's Battlegrounds came out. It was a modified version of Arma III by this dude who went by player Unknown. I can't remember his real name right now. I could look at a plater. I'm not going to. It's not important because his title as player unknown is really what's important. The battle royale genre is a game where one hundred people drop into an open world at the same time, pick up weapons off the ground, and shoot each other to those one last person standing. When you're that last person standing, win or winter Chicken dinner. And the reason that game is so important is because it brought us the Fortnite that we know today. Right for Fortnite is just basically that. Right, Fortnite is just basically that. But the reason that Fortnite is so important to this equation is because not only did Fortnite see what was going on with that, Fortnite was part of the reason that was even able to happen. Fortnite is made by the company Epic Games. Epic Games created what's called the Unreal Engine, and the Unreal Engine is how a lot of video games are made. PUBG was made on the Unreal four engine. We are now currently on the Unreal five engine, and so Epic Games was making money off of every Battle Royale that was made on Unreel four. Basically it was making money off of PUBG being like, damn, there's a lot of money coming off this shit, right, we have to completely chance player on battlegrounds. Thank you. Yeah, sorry about that. We have to change what we're doing and make Fortnite that Fortnite originally and its open beta was not that at all. It was still this whole building game, but it was kind of like a build yourself a big tower to survive waves and waves of is like Pixar like looking zombies who are going to attack your base. That was the original game. It was called Save the World. Then they made the battles truly the rest of the history. It is kind I mean like a little minecrafty kind of like a tower defense Minecraft kind of thing, and the building was just super unique, but that genre unlocks something for a lot of people, because what that said was they're shooting, there's building. Why are we not mixing genres more often? Why are we not taking these kinds of games that exist already and just kind of combining them. Why aren't we like putting two things together to make this kind of new genre of game. Because it doesn't necessarily have to be pritt and super pretty and honestly doesn't even need to run well. It's if the concept itself is unique that's going to make people want to play it, and then the money is going to come in from that, and then we can just keep going. And that's like a big part of where games are going today in general, mashing up genres, mashing up genres all right.
Speaker 1: Like taking advantage of new technology like greater connectivity.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly, because so everything I see from No just everything I see from Unreal Engine five is like frightening, it's nuts, it's nice. How it's such a huge step in how like like raid tracing and the light like all the mechanics of how lightning is perceived in games and stuff like that. I didn't realize that that was sort of the inroad for for them to be like, oh, man, like, look at what they're doing with the tools that we've created. Let's just iterate on this and what that's just. And so that's because for me, I'm mostly like a tent pole triple a sort of I'm an old head, you know, like I come from the era of like Nintendo Power and a magazine was like, these are the three games I come out this year. They're like, yeah, y versus now, And I always hit you up too, because I'm so off, like I'm not like I just don't pay attention to indie games or other titles or things that because in my mind, I'm like free means it's bad, right, rather than means it's also ubiquitous, and it now has the largest user base and they have other ways to make money. But yeah, I have many sort of points of ignorance when it comes to sort of like understanding like like where this is headed. So now because of that, it sort of normalized this idea of like, well, let's take all the elements we know of games and we start making games like this versus like I drew this character during an acid trip, and I think this could be like the whole franchise. Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: I mean one of the AI innovations that feels like it makes the most sense to me. I guess is that it might affect people's ability to like code quickly write code quickly. That's something that you hear people who can write code talk about. But I guess, like which would make it more possible, like easier for somebody with a vision to like build a game right without the backing of like these Triple A company totally. But yeah, So I'm always intrigued by just hearing about like indie games that are doing cool, like intriguing new things about like what what it means to play games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but are there.
Speaker 1: You know what what are what are some of the games some of the mashups that you've seen recently that you see on the horizon that are changing video games from a medium where you control a little fucker who runs around on an imaginary world and picks up coins. That's the only one that I know exactly. I'm a bit of an old head myself.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: So there's you know, I want to say that while there are a lot of these games that are you know, true mashups, I think it's also important to highlight the games that are still revolutionizing these in just like main stage genres, single player RPG games, which feels like ground we have tread so much over and over and over, just to shout out, Balder's Gate three again is like a whole new thing. Zelda, Teers of the Kingdom, Alan Wake two, Star Wars Jedi Survivor, a sequel to Star Wars the Last Oh My God, Jedi Fallen Order, one of the best Star Wars games. Yet it's like we're still and even Spider Man two, the Spider Man twenty eighteen game, and then Spider Man two that came out this year. We're taking the genre of single player game and just keep on refining it and making better and better games, taking ground that feels like it's already so tread, and then still making something absolutely incredible. And by the way, all those games are just listed. We're just from last year, Like twenty twenty three was such an absolutely mind blowing year for video games.
Speaker 1: But you like Balder's Gate three, like what, yeah, maybe the best RPG of all time? Short notes here, like what makes it that? Like what are you finding yourself doing in that game? Like what's mind blowing about it?
Speaker 3: So, Balder's Gate three is basically a video game version of Dungeons Dragons. It played entirely on the Dungeons and Dragons fifth Edition, fifth like extended edition rule set, And so what feels like this kind of very like you know, rule base, sitting with your friends looking through books kind of game experience has been turned into this super deep world with a seemingly infinite number of possibilities. When you're playing, you create your own character. You're choosing from a bunch of different races and abilities and and like you know, classes and all this stuff, and you are creating your own experience by how you interact with the world around you, all based within the rule set of Dungeons and Dragons. And a lot of people will hear Dungeons and Dragons and be like, I'm not about that shit too complicated. There's a way that this game offers you so many controls and makes a super super complex multibook rule set into something that is much easier to kind of control and understand, right, And that challenge in itself was such an undertaking that Baller's Gate three rehit so well that it has just completely taken over the RPG game. And by the way, RPG is short for role playing game, So you're picking your role and playing through it in this world. Balder's Gate is a three act game. You're playing in three different places in the game. It's multiple places, but you're going through three acts. It's a three act story, and as you play through it, you make choices that completely affect your entire play through, and everybody's experience is different depending on what choices you make or where you go. And it's not the kind of thing where it's like iose one of three paths. It's anybody who I've talked to who's played the game has played it a different way with a different outcome. I'm talking hundreds of different ways.
Speaker 1: Are you playing with people, like just other people?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so you can play you can play as a team of four or and this is the big thing, you can play by yourself offline. You don't even need to be online. And that's something that just feels like it doesn't exist anymore in gaming. That's kind of like truely single player offline experience with so many other games that require you to be online. You can play couch cop you can play with somebody right next to you, like you can just play it together or play it completely by yourself and have this unique experience and play around with these pre made characters that have their own storylines that you could even you can even romance, you can be like you know, one of them is a cleric who can turn into a bear, and you can you can have sex with the bear. You can have sex with the bear. Drewid not a cleric, but.
Speaker 1: There, you know, I mean, I mean, come on, that is on the front of the game.
Speaker 3: Is on the front.
Speaker 2: Anyway you can have you can have sex with the bear.
Speaker 3: But back to the question you were asking me that these new types of games you're also seeing, these indie game you're also seeing like different types of games getting a new life to them. I'm sure you guys have heard of games like Pokemon or Magic the Gathering. I'm talking card games where you have it well, you have a leave them behind, leave them behind down, you got a deck of cards. Each card is either like you know, it gives you the power to do something. I think they just explain many exactly. Anyway, The point is, like card games have existed on you know, in video games as well. You've had like Hearthstone, even the Magic the Gathering has zone online game. But now you have a new version called Marvel Snap Do you play on your phone and it's a new take on the card Babbler. You even have a game made by Riot Games, who makes League of Legends. It's called Team Fight Tactics and it almost plays like a card game that also plays like chess. Some people call it auto chess, and like you may remember from Star Wars A New Hope when Chewie and Obi Wan Kenobi are playing that like chess game where like on the round board and the holog every things, that is this game. But imagine that you have like cards with abilities and you're placing your little tokens on a board and depending on where they're placed, you just watch them battle it out. It's an auto chess style game, completely new, never existed before, like four years ago, just a completely different style of game. You have these indie games, like this new one that just came out called Lethal Company, where it's honestly just a spooky game where you walk around these completely barren lands picking up ingredients to go sell them, but there's no map. All your communication is through your in game microphone. You're weird spacemen and you could be attacked by aliens at any moment. That game is not a genre that exists. It's not like a oh yes, of course, just like this other game or whatever. It's these kind of just like like concept games that people have the ability to make because there's so much because they're like smaller because they don't take as much work. Another example is this the other game Fasmophobia, which is a ghost hunting game. You walk into a building with a walkie talkie and you're like, hello, are you here, and depending on if the ghost hears you in might respond.
Speaker 2: To you, because I'm afraid of no ghosts.
Speaker 1: Also doesn't it doesn't interest us, and that's why we were going to ask you to stop talking about it. That doesn't scare us, and it doesn't even make us like interested.
Speaker 2: We're just like, I cannot remember it every phobia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as you can.
Speaker 2: I ask you a serious question though, down ghost Okay. So, like there's this scene and Terminator too, where Arnold Schwarzenegger he's trying to figure out what's going on and whether or not Edward Furlong's family is okay and He asked him what his dog's name is, and he goes, Hey, Janelle, what's wrong with Wolfy? And then she's like, Wolfy's just fine, and he goes, your foster parents are dead? Is is that kind of like gaming inside the terminator's brain? Is that the kind of AI stuff? We can thank you for asking the question, and this is this is why we're good because like that's the question that every listener was actually thinking, right then, how do you figure that out? Hey, what's your day? Goes? He goes, he goes, what's your dog's name? And goes, what's wrong with the fucking straight up game theory?
Speaker 3: That ship games him right there? Gamed him right there?
Speaker 1: The dogs name, He just asked him what it was and then he said a different name?
Speaker 2: Are they different? But are there any so right now with AI? Thos? Now back to back to the non serious stuff like are is AI A being used to speed along the development games? Or we're not quite there yet? Or are people just using are they cutting corners with AI? Because I'm still like because I know in the in the episode that Jack's talking about with doctor Joel Zadoc, he was talking about how like the capability like it could make MPCs much richer, like a much more rich environment when you have non playable characters have like these kinds of you know, chat bot levels of intellect or whatever intelligence what everyon want to call it.
Speaker 1: But like in New York Times author columnists into thinking that they want to fuck him, but like.
Speaker 2: Me to leave my w Like, how much AI is being used to either develop games, like to speed things along, or to integrate that with like actual characters involved, or how much is just using AI to just rip other stuff off?
Speaker 3: And then here's a game, so I rip off a really contemporary example of exactly what you're talking about, unfortunately in the cutting corners ripping stuff up department is this game power World. Yeah, power game developed pl p ah w r ld pal World. Power World is a new game for Xbox and PC developed by a company called Pocket Pair whose last game was called craft Topia, and Power World is more or less an open world, crafting survival Pokemon game. And you open up this game, you press play, and you wake up on a beach surrounded by three Pokemon that I'll just say this if you were somebody who played the first Pokemon and you're like, well, I know the first one hundred and fifty Pokemon. Pretty well, I know what they all look like, but I haven't played in years, and there's literally been hundreds of Pokemon since then. There's no way that you could tell the difference between the creatures the pals in this game and Pokemon of today. They're a it's not real Pokemon. It is not like Pokemon. No, they did not at all. In fact, the CEO of Power World's developer, Pocket Pair, he's huge into AI generation. He had a whole series of tweets about how, you know, honestly, using GPT four will make game development so much faster. Here here's a list of Pokemon that I just developed by you know, talking to GPT and having it, you know, generate all these images. And this is really well documented online of him just talking about how great this generation quality is and it's raising and here's the thing, it's raising a ton of suspicion because it's like the CEO of the game company is like, look how easy this is to do, and then they release a game that is a survival crafting game, which is very popular right now, and I can talk about that in a sec. But these Pokemon characters, they just these pals rather, they just don't look that different from Pokemon.
Speaker 2: Dude, they're so bad. Have you seen that one RDC World sketch?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: You know, Okay, but you know already you know RDC World. It's like those black sketch comedians that like they'll usually do stuff that'll wrap up like an NBA season, the likes Sixers, Locker Room and like, they just do kind of character. But anyway, they had one about Power World, and it was like a sketch where the dude was playing the lawyer for them. Oh, he's like what he's look, He's like, these are Pokemon literally literally not even this is not And yeah, it seems so blatant. I'm like, how can you even, like, I guess, like to to someone like I'm familiar with POKEM. I didn't play it, but I know the characters and I know the style very well, so when I see it, I'm like, how can this stand?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's the kind of thing where I think it's it's it's one of those things where you see it a lot in movies a little bit, you see it in TV a little bit, where there are these concepts that are very very popular I know there's times where we've seen two movies that are very similar come out around the same time that are like, you know, like it was that movie that was like Ashton Kutcher and Milaicunis, and.
Speaker 2: That like.
Speaker 1: Friends it's no strings attention, Bam, thank you. Two movies that are The Illusionists and The Prestige Boom exactly. You're seeing Pa, thank you very much, Classic Mac and me Boom Boom. There we go, these kinds of game that we're more comfortable thinking about movies than video games.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I would keep doing it. I knew I made the right example. Are dead boom? This with video games right now? This is what happens where there's a concept that comes out right now. It's called survival crafting. You had a game like Valheim doesn't mean anything, but it's Viking crafting survival. You have The Rising, which is Dracula crafting survival. You had Fortnite, which made their own as a collab with Lego. That's Lego crafting survival. Power World is Pokemon crafting survival. Another one is Enshrouded, which is like Witches and Wizards crafting survival. They're all the exact same game that are trying to drill down into what do people really want to play? That's some variation of this style of game.
Speaker 1: Is mine the original Crafting Survival?
Speaker 3: Yes it is, because.
Speaker 1: Like that Minecraft took me a little while to get my head around because I'm like, wait, why are people building?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that's not the point of the video game. We play something someone else built, Why why they build?
Speaker 3: Why they built?
Speaker 2: But then I thought about that.
Speaker 1: Level of an excite bike where you can build your own excite bike course on and then I was like, let's go excite bike course is the og Minecraft?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 3: And that's why I started with PUBG in twenty seventeen, because that was when games were really starting not easy to make, but there was so much more efficiency in making games that Fortnite was able to be like, Oh, this is the thing we need to do, so it's not just Battle Royale, it's Battle Royale with building. Then Apex Legends was Battle Royale, but it's three D three and the maps are hyperrealistic, and we're also adding these abilities. And you just had this series and series of Battle Royale games. After Battle Royal Games, there was a Battle Royal game with Magic Battle Royale game with like that was top down Battle Royale was another one of these genres that everybody was trying to tackle, and it just this is what video game development is right now. You see people taking a genre that is very popular and just drilling, drilling down. I think I use the word plaguing the video game space with the exact kind of game over and over again until players get tired of it, and then like a year later, the perfect version comes out. It's like, oh, okay, well that's what we should play, right.
Speaker 2: It's almost like it's like the same way we've seen like online sketch comedy and stuff evolve too, or like especially TikTok. Like I just think back, like let me just go back about thirteen years. It's twenty eleven, and we had we had some shit called shit blank people say, they use a comedy, you know what I mean. And it was first like shit black guys say, or shit la people say, and then it basically turns like, oh shit, we have a format. Now we can adapt to whatever the fuck we're really into. And now I feel like that's what's like to your point about these Survivor Builder games too, It's like the shit Pokemon people said this is the Bilberd like precently, which totally makes sense because now our you know, we have the ability for our tastes to be so specific, and because of the ease of development, developers are also able to kind of meet people where they're at. They're like, Oh, Okay, I see what y'll y'allmant howbout that you could come up? It might not be the finished thing, but it's we're like, it's all building towards this sort of style or I don't know, just the way the ideation has changed. And I think that's probably because like with comedy, before the Internet, it was more like, well, what are the people in these five shows think comedy is? And that was performing comedy versus the Internet being like na, man, everybody can get in now and we can now find audiences for every kind. So I see a lot of parallels with that. Yeah, let's take a quick break, we'll be a right pack and we're back. Yeah. I think that's a really good point.
Speaker 1: I was about the like democratization of all these different forms of media. Like I feel like with movies, we've seen like there was a lot of excitement around like oh, man, there's like all these sketch groups online and like that, you know you're discovering new talent that way and that. But I feel like that's like kind of gone.
Speaker 2: Away a little bit.
Speaker 1: But with gaming, I feel like I could see that just theoretically, not not knowing much about the industry at all, but like that's what is exciting to me, is that like as coding becomes more and more you know, boosted by AI like it, it feels like it's going to be easier and easier for people to like everybody to like come up with an idea, like an iteration on an existing game and just like make it happen. As opposed to with movies, I feel like it's still still need like good performances, right, You still need like these things that are hard to get, and like usually you need a lot of money. So like gaming is build is like writing based, idea based thing that I could see in the near future just becoming like more democratic than any of the other like major forms of media.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to highlight one other thing about the gaming space right now that I think is really fun and is is what kind of like adds to that or what adds to the what I started with about how it is so open to any kind of experience you want to have. There's lots of games that are developed these days that are developed by one person just because they're super excited about this one prospect. A very famous example is a game called Stardy Valley. Stardi Valley is developed by one person. I wrote on this person's name, Eric Concerned Aped barone. Now Eric made this one game himself as a farming simulator, but it's also slightly relationship.
Speaker 2: He's Italian pronunciation yea.
Speaker 3: Concerned Wait, why is he concerned ape? That's like that, that's just his user name, concerned Ape. It's kind of like player unknown, right, I just can't remember playing. It wasn't like an NFT play they go exactly. Stardie Valley, a game developed by one person as a twenty twenty two, has sold twenty million copies. It's a game that struck a nerve with people who wanted to make a farming simulator type game, and it's just one person who's doing something they love at a time when a genre wasn't exactly like it's That is not a game that was a drilled down version of a genre. That was super super popular at the moment. That was just something that struck people really strongly. Another genre of game or another developer who made a game that, again was not something that people something people were looking for, is a guy named Bennett Foddy. He's made a web game you may have heard of called quap qw oh, the running one of the running one. He developed the running game where all you have is qwop to control the knees and legs of a runner, and your point is to do one hundred meter dash. And it is so it's controlled, it is so punishingly slow and stupid that people love doing it because it's just so hard to do. He made another game called Getting Over It, where you are a naked person sitting in a black kettle with a hammer, and your whole goal is to climb up a mountain by using your hammer to propel yourself up the mountain, and the entire time Bennett Foddi is narrating why you shouldn't be doing this and why it's frustrating and how punishing the whole process is. Where does that fit on the scale of these video games? How is that a Battle Royale like Fortnite? How or Fortnite. How is that like a farming simulator like Starry Valley. It's not. This is a guy who has a passion for making these unique experiences the ability to do so just by being a coder and with these gaming tools. I think he made it in Unity, which is another engine similar to the Unreal engine, and it's decided to make this game that has now sold millions of copies. It is another one like.
Speaker 1: He also profoundly hates humankind. You might say that like a Larry David style outlook on yes humanity.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: Exactly, that everybody should play it.
Speaker 2: I missed looking like Jordan belf Belle fort on Kwayludes trying to run on that thing been my man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's just one of these things where it's like, you know, the world of video games almost feels, you know, less like TV and movies and almost like the world of music, where the tools to create it have become so easy to access that Like, while you have people who are making who are trying to be the next Taylor Swift or trying to be the next Dead Mouse, or trying to be the next Kendrick Lamar, you have people who are also just like I made this weird song and all of a sudden that sound pops all that you have people who are one hundred gecks narratively, or you have people who are just doing something that is complete, who's so different and completely off the wall. You're Sophie's of the world. You're like, you're you know, I don't know, there's another like very peculiar or like a unique artist. Right now, you get what I mean. My point is is that, like the tools are so easy to access and democratize.
Speaker 2: There they go people.
Speaker 1: It was a good originally it was a version of that, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but people who are taking these tools to make something that is unique to them that is not necessarily being asked for at the time, but finding the right audience for it such that it becomes super popular, even if at the time it's like what is this even for video games? Offer that lane and that is something that makes me really excited about the future of video games. We just keep getting more stuff like that because the tools are so easy to act.
Speaker 2: Right, Because it's almost like so like when someone makes a game, it's like because I know music production and video production pretty well, It's like because I remember if you wanted to make music. Like it's like, did you have these old school production keyboards that had the sounds that you wanted that you were hearing on the thing, then yeah, exactly do you have that core? You got a triton, you know, yeah, you have all that, And then but now you have more like effects packs that come out like you know, SAMP like whatever, VSTs that give you certain keyboard sounds that you didn't have before. Is that how people are kind of making games too, like where these are sort of like modular and you can kind of be like, Okay, I need a little bit of this. I need I need my version of Massive for lack of a better comparison to making like electronic music, and so I can use that for for the physics, will be the game engine, and then I can use these other things. So it does feel like kind of like if you're savvy enough, there there is a way to sort of like execute on like an idea because they're just like those elements are just there versus years before. It's like, well, do you have a seven hundred person team? This is one of the last things I want to talk about, and it's one of the things that you just got to cut the episode short. Okay, I don't go for about like an hour or so, but anybody, go ahead. This is this is the last thing you're going to talk about, all right, D's it's related the last time I'm telling this. Listen up.
Speaker 3: Another question that Jack posed was about Disney throwing money at Epic. I'm trying to see where it was in here because I just like I saved the place for it. Cut all this.
Speaker 2: This is all bullshit. Here we go. Okay, are you reading through my notes?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, no, this is.
Speaker 2: And you know it's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: You know, let's just let's just mute Night Channel thinking.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is kind of going back to Fortnite and the Unreal Engine and all of and all of that and what you know they're creating with Fortnite. Disney just threw one point five billion dollars, which is about like a four to five percent steak in Epic.
Speaker 2: Why are they That's wait, that's a four percent steak in Epic is one and a half. It might be it might be less. Honestly, Yeah, I didn't. I don't know how much stuff is worth anymore. They're an enormous company. I know shot Tank though you say, if you said if you came out one point five BILLI for four percent, I'd like get the fuck out.
Speaker 3: Wow, Okay, huge, It is a huge amount for not that big of a steak. But what Disney is getting out of that is this connection of their IP to things like Fortnite, the ability to use on Real five to help make movies, and just like this connection into a world that people are already in all the time. Now you've heard the term metaverse being thrown around so loved and like Facebook wanted to make one, blah blah blah wanted to make one, but they're not crazy that he got to it first. And now, like for so many people when they hear meta metaverse, they're like they picture Mark Zuckerberg with no legs, like Mark Zuckerberg's little avatar floating around with no legs, Like, no, this is the future. This dude just like fucked it up in the main Street. He just completely fucked it up. But it is funny how the branding of that kind of came to him because people don't think of Fortnite as the metaverse. But when you can be Lebron James or Soske from Naruto or Alloy from Horizon Zero don or Peter Griffin from Family Guy aside character in Fortnite. That is the metaverse when you and your friends are jumping into the Fortnite launcher and playing Fortnite traditional Fortnite Fortnite with no building, or a racing game developed by Psionics the people who make Rocket League, or they're playing a rhythm game developed by Harmonics, the people who made rock Band, or they're making the survival crafting game in collaboration with Lego, all within one game, all within Fortnite. Fortnite is not trying to be like the best shooter. Fortnite is trying to be Nintendo. When your mom used to say, oh are you playing that? Nintendo? Fortnite is trying to be oh are you playing that? Fortnite. Fortnite is so many different git and it kind of is now not only that, like Fortnite has their own tools built into the Fortnite engine for you to create your own game. Like if you open up Fortnite, you'll see the main games Fortnite, Fortnite, Note Build, Lego, Fortnite, Rocket Racing, Harmont or it's I can't remember what it's called. It's the rhythm game. It's like main Stage or some shit like that.
Speaker 2: But then you have fifteen or sixteen other most popular user created modes that you can just play that are completely different games, all built within the Fortnite engine, like Fortnite is, or rather Epic Games is using Fortnite as the tip of the spear for Unreal Engine five to show people what you can do with this tool, right, people who are.
Speaker 1: Building those games making money, Like, are they taking out the Wait? Can't you can't you make money off of like a.
Speaker 3: Map you can make money off of? I'm you know, I'm actually not sure. Okay, because I'm not sure. I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Bullshit.
Speaker 3: Just check that, because if you can make money off of Fortnite map, that'd be interesting. But I'm pretty sure they're just user generated and it's like if people are playing them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well no. The only reason I know this is because there's a player at Arsenal in the academy. He's not like in the main team yet. He's like a teenager named Rouel Walters, and he like like they're like before he got signed his professional contract, they're like this kid was already making money on Fortnite because he was he made like a super popular map.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, well there you go. I mean like if then if they're making i mean, if kids are making money off that, then that's even more awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's so they're the engine that makes all of this creation possible exactly, and they're making a big chunk of the money. But like the people who are going on there and being creative are able to like get some part of it.
Speaker 2: He said in this article in The Athletic. It's like, yeah, because of the creator code or whatever. Oh that's different. Oh what's that's different? Creator code is basically a way that you can say, this person brought me here. So if you enter a creator code when you're buying a skin on Fortnite, there's a little kickback to the creator who did that to you. So he's probably streaming on Twitch and said, use my creator code, and and then you buy skins. It's a kickback to me. He said. Two hundred and fifty million people played his map in one week. That's fucking crazy. That's awesome. Anyway, That's what I was just like, Yeah, I knew there was like some way, but yeah, maybe not, there's a way sorry, go on, right, no.
Speaker 3: But still but but that but that is a whole other thing. That's that's just the it's just these little tools that like Fortnite or Epic Games offers just within the Fortnite engine, where it's just like, oh, yeah, use my code, type in my name so that you kick back to me who you like to just buy whatever skin you're gonna buy, right, and sometimes those skins are actual people like I said, Lebron James or even random streamers who are you know, part of the animal community such that me. Could you yeah, could you imagine the boring skin? But then you have people like the Weekend and then you have Peter Griffin, and then you have Pickle Rick. You just have all of this ip that is within the world of Fortnite, so that you can be whoever you want in the world of Fortnite whenever you're playing any of those games, right, Like, that is what they're That is the world that they're creating that they're that is like it's it's.
Speaker 2: It's wild how like interchangeable it can be, you know, because there's so many times like I'll be playing a game, I'll be like, man, I wish there was just a Star Wars version of GTA, right, Like, why can't I just have this look like Star Wars? And they're that game is coming out, But like with the flexibility of these other games, it's like, well, yeah, we we can already just map this ip onto it.
Speaker 3: It's like, yeah, you want to play like Star versus Peter Peter, then exactly do it. There's a Darth Vader, there's a Darth Vader, there's a Luke Skywalker. There's an Anakin Skywalker skin in Fortnite. Yeah, yeah, it's so what have a lightsaber?
Speaker 2: So it sounds like obviously there's like there's ease in which that people are being able to make games, and that's you know, AI has a certain hand into that is the is like the main risk, just like the voice acting stuff, because that's the one thing I've saw consistently from like voice acting people who are like, get the fuck away from my gigs with AI, because that is a huge, huge earner for voice actors.
Speaker 3: It's a huge thing. And that was one of the things that I wrote down is what really worries me about AI. You know, my fears is the less human actors. If the AI is going to take over, there's no way you can script for it right now. It's kind of a meme that if you're thorough, you'll talk to an MPC until you're just hearing the same prompts over and over, and that means that you've exhausted all the dialogue options in which you're you know, the person you're talking to, Like, there's only so much that you can script with a real person. But for an actor who would then be kind of prompting an AI voice, you're going in doing one day of work, maybe even only like an hour of work, and then that AI prompt is then generating an infinite amount of responses forever, right, And that's scary. That's scary. That's taking the human element out of the the you know, the interaction side of video games. And that's something that's kind of you know, it's a bridge we're going to have to cross. It's going to be you know, it's going to be a contract that needs to be signed. It's going to need to be some sort of agreement that we have. That's that is, you know, how we kind of control this forthcoming storm that is AI actors being part of video games, because that is real, That is very real. What is going to happen?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right, it sounds like more and more the more you describe it, the more it reminds me of like the media kind of content economy ten years ago on the Internet, where it's like it's very user driven and like it's like all all these creative people who are somewhat anonymous are driving a lot of the innovation, and it's just like kind of a lot of them are doing it for the love of the game. And that turned out well. I think we you know, now we have really great websites full of top tier user generated content, and no, it obviously went horribly wrong because nobody could like really figure out how to monetize that, and so they just like killed it.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 1: So I don't know difference outful until I had that thought. I mean, I'm sure it'll just continue innovating. It's yeah, it's it is one of the ideas that was thrown out in like in reading up on AI is like they're like, well, one of the problems we have with AI is that we don't have a body for this AI. This hard you know, chat gpt to go walk out into the world and like start getting data and feedback, like learning with its body and with its ability to move around in space. So that was just another thing that occurred to me as we were talking. It was like the NPC chat GPT model, Like in addition to being like a cool thing to play with, I could see that being prioritized by the company's, the AI companies, because that is something they're looking for as like something some mechanism for it to like go out and interact in.
Speaker 2: The real world and like be able to kind of move around on its own and just get like free R and D from Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in these games, it's like a character out in this like open world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but is gonna come away thinking like they believed I was African American due to the outsized use of racial slurs I hear from young gamers like I don't that data set is gonna be fucking poison.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be bad. It's gonna be bad.
Speaker 1: Well ship, uh, Daniel, I feel like we could keep talking about this for weeks, But thanks for coming on.
Speaker 3: That's my pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having me, making me less afraid of all the gaming ship that I hear what do you. I don't know what any of it means.
Speaker 2: Jack, did you come out of this? Is there a game now that? Obviously because you're you're up on on the Nintendo, we are Switch that bitch from Switch Switch exactly, the bits with the Switch. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I'm all of them. I'm I mean Power World. You know I'm gonna be all over this ship. Fort Fortnite, Hell yeah, man, Fortnite. Fortnite is scary to me because I feel like I just like going and get shot in the head like immediately. But if like that, there are all these very derivations, like racing games and stuff like that is intriguing to me.
Speaker 2: You'll be like, Yeah, we'll be playing together and you're like, can we not do the battle? Can we just do like the the racing one.
Speaker 3: The racing's good? Wen?
Speaker 2: What you can't shoot me in this? This is the racing one? You said specifically?
Speaker 3: Hell yeah?
Speaker 2: Anyways, Dan or what a pleasure? Where can people find you? Follow you? Hear you all that good stuff?
Speaker 3: I think the last time was on the show, I said I am divorcing myself from social media entirely, but you can still find me on Instagram and twitch at dj Underscore Danel and I do have a piece of social media that I did want to share that I thought was really fucking funny. But I also wanted to share a actual game recommendation, something that I am enjoying personally that I think everybody who likes video games should play. It's on both PlayStation and it's on PC, and it's a game called Hell Divers two. Now that game is if you've seen the movies Oarship Troopers, it's that but a video game, and with all of the humor wrapped in it. It's so great. You're going to different planets and spreading democracy by shooting bugs in the face. And it rules four player PvE. It is great, full stop, great game. What can you download it on on playstage? I mean you on the PlayStation store, on Steam wherever you want. Wow, it rules. It's so so good. Let's play that. My piece of social media is from John Foley at two thousand and eight Phills, Philz and it's it's the picture of Travis Kelce yelling and Andy Reid right here, but the text above it is.
Speaker 4: Hold on, hold on. Her sister was a witch, right? That was her sister a princess the wicked Witch of the East. Bro, you're gonna look at me and tell me that a w a wrong. She wore a crown and came down in a bubble Dog.
Speaker 3: Classic. It was a wild moment. I love I fucking love that. That's one of my favorite It's internet content.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Miles, where can people find you? What's the work media you've been enjoying? Find me on the at base platforms, at Miles of Gray, hell even on PlayStation Network where I occusually pop up now and then in between my parental duties. And also find Jack and I on our basketball podcast, Miles and Jack on ed mos. Or if you come to the Atlanta headquarters of I Heart Podcast, you will see posters up on the wall, which is really nice to see.
Speaker 3: Cool what else?
Speaker 2: Also find me on four twenty with Sophia Alexander talking about ninety day fiance. But tweet I like, I do like a tweet. It's from Jesse Dugan and this tweet is very interesting because it just look it's it's from the super Bowl. So forgive me for the delay here on this this.
Speaker 1: Entire week after the super Bowl, and we are giving you.
Speaker 2: That superlorry happened to because there's there's a photo of Reba McIntyre about to go to this Super Bowl. She's wearing a fur jacket and cowboy boots and her tweet was boots with the fur hashtag super Bowl blah blah blah, and then Jesse you Dogan tweeted, Okay, this is the first time I've considered that the boots themselves did not have the fur. And yeah, I think the one hundred and eighty seven thousand people that liked it were also like, fun, holy shit, we were thinking of fur. But is it just wearing your boots with the fur coat? Right? Anyway, we love we love a bit of simple breakdowns. Wow the lyrics, so yeah, shout out to you. Damn am I gonna have to do a Super Bowl tweet too.
Speaker 1: No, you can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien workimedia. I've been enjoying the latest episode uh oh, He's melting down, the latest the latest eperson uh workimedia. I've been enjoying the latest episode of Last Culturistas sister podcast is has Tina Fay on it or it's probably the second in most recent by now By the time you hear it. Great to hear from Tina fe again. Great episode. Tina Fey is just yeah, like fits right in, just hops right into the double Dutch and knows all the references. Is media obsessed and it's just a lot of fun to hear Matt and Bowen and Tina Fey kicking around.
Speaker 2: So you can go check that out that I don't think, so honey so good. That was really good. What did she say? She's like your new friends are and yeah, I don't think so honey was like, you can't basically saying he can't say his honest opening on movies anymore.
Speaker 3: Honestly is a luxury for the.
Speaker 2: Honesty is a luxury and something like about it your pob not worth it basically to be honest. Man. Expensive, I think that's what it was. Honesty is expensive, honestly expensive, defensive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, this so well, that's a lesson we'll learn one of these days. I'm sure you can find us on Twitter at daily zeich Guys for a d Daily Zeichgeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fan page on a website Daily zeike Guist dot com, where we post our episodes and our footnotes. We link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we.
Speaker 2: Think you might enjoy. My song you think people might enjoy? I think, well, look, I'm I'm feeling like, like I said, I'm an old head, and I was thinking about Timbaland and Magoo. You know, love to Love, You love to Love to Love? Yeah, hell yeah, hell yeah. Anyway, I just heard a remix on SoundCloud that was just like sometimes people do remixes that just give a song a whole new way of like like a new bounce to it that you really weren't seeing. And this is it. It's by Mike Nasty and it's called love to Love like in the song, but that's LUV the number two the Luv. It's a SoundCloud only joints, so you're gonna have to go on SoundCloud like like us real backpackers. We can find that real shit. But it's dope. This is Love to Love by Mike Nasty, the Timualimagu remix.
Speaker 1: We will link off to it in the footnotes.
Speaker 2: You can go right there.
Speaker 1: The dailies like Gus is a production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from My Heart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio, ap Apple Podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That is going to do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what is trending and we'll talk to you all then Bye.
Speaker 2: Bits,