Speaker 1: This is the Patriots Catch twenty two podcasts with Evan Lazar and Alex Bars and Lazarre. Hello, everybody nailed it? Joined us always by our bar. Here is Evan Lazar and Alex Bars.
Speaker 2: What better you have two guys with rocket arms to have a rocket scientist teach them how to go about their their game? Right? So?
Speaker 1: How long he's been rehearsing that one?
Speaker 2: I came up with it about ten minutes after they signed him.
Speaker 1: I think we have to talk about the Cooper cup of it all? Uh cup check if you will?
Speaker 2: How long? Even holding on a one?
Speaker 1: I thought about one last night.
Speaker 2: A rare double cut for the open.
Speaker 1: A rare time where we both kind of made the same joke, but not exactly. I feel like we don't really have the same sense of humor. I think we we think have very different or attempts at jokes.
Speaker 2: I told the joke very similar to one you told about a week ago, and you got very annoyed. We don't need to bring that one on the air. But I don't even know about the fast food restaurant.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, because it just wasn't funny anyway, It just wasn't funny. Joke like some of the Josh Allen one is funny. That's funny. Hey, Patriots, fancy if you want to see Toyota's best offers, including those not seen on TV, go to buy atya dot com. It's Toyota's official website for deals for the official vehicle of the New England Patriots, Toyota. Let's go places. Hello everybody, it's Evan Lazar, It's Alex Barth. It's Patriots Catch twenty two. With you for the next couple of hours, talking Patriots off season, free agency. Things still happening last night, Actually something happening with the Patriots that is notable, So we'll get to that here in a second. I'm sure we'll talk plenty of draft and we are at the point of the draft site.
Speaker 2: Of this draft season.
Speaker 1: It's it's draft season for everybody now, which is the time where I hand up fully admit that I start to get annoyed because you and I and I'm not saying this to Graham stand or anything like that, but you and I have on this show have been talking about all these guys since like November or December, maybe January if we wanted, When we really.
Speaker 2: Started to get in August for me.
Speaker 1: But we've been talking about these guys for a while. Yeah, and so at this point it definitely feels like we are all dug in on our guys. These are sort of our opinions on this draft. This is sort of what we would do at this draft if we were in the general manager chair. And this is the point where everybody just gets a little bit riled up because no one's gonna get moved at this point. Like you, all the data is in.
Speaker 2: Everybody has their guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all the combines over the film is in there. You have your guys. I have my guys. So we'll talk about all of that here in a second. But I want to start with Garrett Bradbury reported signing by the Patriots of the former Vikings Center, And last night I tweeted some things about this signing. I can't really get all hot and bothered by a thirty point eight million dollars guarantee to a center. That's I think a big part of it, and that's all reported, by the way, but just in general, I can't get that hot and bothered by basically a one year guarantee on a stopgap center, which is what this is. And with Bradbury, I think it's also philosophically just what I like in centers and what I prefer in centers. I think the number one thing to me with the center is obviously intelligence and smarts and the ability to run the line of scrimmage pre snap, and you can see that on film with brad Berry, him pointing out, you know, moving the mic points and like doing all the protections and all that kind of stuff. In Minnesota's offense, he's renowned for being a pretty intelligent pre snap center and being able to handle all those things. The second thing that I always like in centers, I want an athletic center. I want a center that can set the pace of the offensive line, that can make blocks in space, that can reach a block on the line of scrimmage, that can climb to the second level, that can pull, that can get out in front of screens. I just those things are what I value in centers. Bradbury I think checks a lot of those boxes. He's a very good athlete, still is still there on tape with him, and then it's obviously a bonus if he's a good pass protector. Brad Berry is not right, it's a bonus. It's a nice bonus if he is a good pass protector. But out of all the five spots on the offensive line in terms of pass protection, I would say it's the least important at center because most of the time, nobody's lined up over you right, so you either have somebody that's shaded in the a gap in the one tech, or you're in a pass rushing front where the center is completely uncovered. So as much as I want to say be fair or objective about his struggles in pass protection, particularly last season, I don't think that that's the most important thing for a center because of how much help you can get from the guards at that position. So I like the Bradbury signing. I think that this fits the mold of a lot of their other moves, just in terms of we needed an answer today, like if we were to play a game tomorrow, we needed an NFL caliber center to be able to play that position. And now you go into the draft and you don't have to be thinking about center in the top one hundred necessarily because you have a guy like Bradbury under contract. So I don't mind it. I'm not trying to tell you and tell you that he's this high end all Pro caliber center. He's absolutely not. But he's an NFL player and that's good.
Speaker 2: Sure, i'd push back on some of that. I think in the context of where this team is is at, I wouldn't call pass detection ability a bonus, and I think yes it. Centers maybe aren't at the point of attack in pass pro as much as other positions. But the fact that he got exposed as much as he did tells you that he's a guy teams will hunt in that regard, and so he is a weak spot. At the same time, he is experienced, smart, veteran. It's a very inexperienced group there, and I think having a veteran in the room is important, regardless of if he's starting or not. I'm not ready to put a sharpie on the paper yet and call him the starter. I think it should be an open competition going into camp him, Cole Strange, Ben Brown. I would like to see them draft somebody. I'm not taking center out. I don't feel changed about where they're at at center. In terms of the big picture. I still wouldn't hate them taking a center on day two. The ideal center you just described, I can think of three guys right away, off the top of my head that fit that bill in this draft, Jared Wilson from Georgia, Jake Majors from Texas, and then Seth McLoughlin's a little different because he's coming off of torn acl Now, maybe he's the perfect guy because you have Brad Berry or Ben Brown? Is this bridge?
Speaker 1: You don't have to draft those guys on day two?
Speaker 2: Maybe, Wilson, I think maybe maybe, Also maybe he's right in that.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think all those guys are if you're truly a center only player, it's hard to.
Speaker 2: I would like them. I would like them to still like them to make a somewhat significant investment at center in this draft, especially because you know Bradbury last year was a doubt. He last year was the worst year of his career. Right He's coming off the worst year of his career, career high in pressures, career, high in accepted penalties, called like, He's not a long term answer. He's a contender to be the bridge, as is Ben Brown as his col strange. I think that's a good, healthy competition. But I don't know that any of those guys are definitive long term answer. If you add a guy like a Jared Wilson, or like a Jake Majors or even McLoughlin, if you know health aside, you know that that's an option. So I get why they made the signing. I don't think it's a good or bad signing. It's I'm just I'm not really moved by it. Like I guess it's good in the sense that you're adding to the competition at that spot, which I think is always healthy. Ninety players is a lot. I don't know that he's like taking up a roster spot, right. You're adding a competition at that group, and you put a veteran in the room for camp, which I think is good. After that, we'll see what happens. That's kind of where I'm at with it. I don't I don't know ready that I'm I don't know that I'm ready to lock him in, as the Week one said, I'm not ready to lock anybody in. Is the Week one center it's going to be an open competition. I don't there should be an open competition.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree that every position is an open competition in theory.
Speaker 2: I'm not talking in the coach speak. Term of everybody's out here competing, I mean, like a legit.
Speaker 1: I would find it really hard to believe that he's going to get beat out by Ben Brown and Cold Strange. Like Ben Brown was kicking around practice squads, Cole Strange is trying to transition to center if he even still is trying to.
Speaker 2: Be Brown cold Strange. I have no idea what's going to happen with col Strange.
Speaker 1: I don't will you that col Strange is playing guard for this coaching staff.
Speaker 2: Or he's just they don't they don't plan on him being here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean I assume that he's going to be in camp, and well he's I think.
Speaker 2: He'll compete at both. He gives them some flexibility because I don't know he's a fit as guard in what McDaniels wants to do either. But is Ben Brown that different of a player from Garret Bradbury last year?
Speaker 1: Different? Yeah? Last year, Yeah, significantly different, Like like Garrett Bradbury is still a really good run blocking center, Like Garrett Bradbury is a really good athlete. Obviously, he's got way more experience than Ben Brown, like Ben Brown was a nice experience difference Bren Brown. Was I a nice find. I guess is what I would you know, like you you poached him off a practice squad and he came in for a month or so and played a respectable center for time being.
Speaker 2: But it started twelve thirteen games a month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I just said a month or so, like it started to give away for him towards the end of what he you know, when he was playing in there. This is in my opinion, and this is no disrespect to Ben Brown. It's more out of respect for Garrett Bradbury. I kind of find a little like almost disrespectful to bet to Bradbury to say that he's in the same category.
Speaker 2: Well, that's why I said last year, not for his career. I look at a guy that at Ben Brown's what twenty five, twenty six, just played his first full he's in NFL football, versus a guy that is going to be thirty years old and is coming off his worst season, like you know it's passing ships.
Speaker 1: I just think that he's I think this is who Bradbury has been his entire career. So I guess, like worst season, Yeah, I guess maybe by like the metrics in pass protection, it was his worst season. But I don't think that he has ever been a high level pass protector throughout He hasn't, but it was it was worse last year at times. At times, I mean, he he was not the issue in that playoff game.
Speaker 2: No, you know, I'm not. I'm not pacing, you know. I hate doing that where it's just one game we single out. But just I don't know. Again, I'm not mad they brought him in. You know, let's see, maybe last year was a blip. Yeah, all I'm saying I I'm more let's find out what he is than okay, this is our starter. That's more the camp that I'm in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can understand that you like that. I don't think I think Sharpiet is strong like I think. I'd probably say he's penciled in as the starter. You can always if.
Speaker 2: They had to play a game today, he would probably start with you on that.
Speaker 1: I just don't envision a long way they're going to find a better center for twenty twenty five. I'm not talking about.
Speaker 2: If he takes another step back this year, the door this is what we're bad.
Speaker 1: Because I just think he was consistent last year with what his career has been and that that's admitting to deficiencies in his game, right, Like, I'm not saying that is in like he's this great player because he's always consistent. I'm saying it as this is who he is. He's a very good athlete at the position. He's a very high level, not very high level. He's a good run blocker. Yeah, and he's a and he's a you know, not great pass protector like that. That's just who he is.
Speaker 2: Well, I think there's other guys that that can We'll see. We'll see, Like they're not going to get a better centered free agency, and that's why the signing makes sense ultimately to add some floor to that room. I want to see what they do in the draft. I you know, if if you get.
Speaker 1: I like McLaughlin, well so McLaughlin. I know I like McLaughlin because I think you're going to get McLoughlin, who's the Ohio State Center Tours Achilles and November of last year during practice tough injury. But he you're probably going to get him a round or two later than you would have normally because because of the injury, he was tracking to be a top one hundred pick, probably third round pick. If he doesn't get hurt. Yeah, so he gets hurt.
Speaker 2: This is a guy with either just real quick, a guy the really impressive resume. Four year player at Alabama, started there, transferred after saved and left last year went to Ohio State, was like a crucial part of their offensive line. People rave about his leadership is intelligence, like he is talent wise the best center in this draft.
Speaker 1: Agreed. I like that idea. I like that idea because you put him on ice, you get him ready, Yeah, you get him healthy. And then if it's halfway through the year, if it's twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Might be a little because it was a torn achilles in laid October, so maybe it's.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty six that he that he takes over in Bradbury's truly a boint, just stop gap one year play.
Speaker 2: I would be that's ultimately what they do, assuming that they address the other spots that they need to address, I would be okay with that.
Speaker 1: I think it all comes back to kind of bring a big picture, because I think there's some other things that we can discuss here too. With the offensive line. It all comes back to the fact that in my eyes, their goal on the offensive line, this offseason was to get back to serviceable Can you just be a average to below average instead of a bottom of the league offensive line And we both like the Morgan Moses move, so we're in agreement on that. I think that's a step forward to that. I think on when who back at right guard entrenched at right guard.
Speaker 2: Right side's fine. I'm not worried at all about that. And that's like legitimate solid right side guard.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And if and it's a big if, but if they go out and solve left tackle, and I solve is probably a strong word too, Like if they have a competent left tackle next year, then I am I would I'm confident that Bradbury is going to be a competent center. So that level that we're trying to reach of just functional in that group is possible with Garrett Bradberry.
Speaker 2: If Bradbury's your worst offensive lineman, you're in pretty good shape.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If he's your second worst, okay, if he's your third, like now it's.
Speaker 1: If he's your second rumble, I agree. But I would also just say, like he plays center right, so like we're not talking about him being the worst offensive lineman that they have at left tackle. We're talking about him being the worst offensive lineman they have at center. I I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think you're overrating the position thing a little bit in the sense that smart coaches will find a weakness and find a way to exploit it. They're not going to care about where he is on the field or any of that. They'll go hunt him if they feel like that's what they need to do.
Speaker 1: But it's situational, like you can't. Yeah, they can hunt him on third down. They could hunt him in their pass rushing fronts, and so the Jets could play situation. The Jets could put Quinn Williams right over him on third and eight and let.
Speaker 2: Him rush the past games over the whole game.
Speaker 1: But not really like you have your base fronts and like most teams play with true nose tackles anymore. Like so, yeah, sure if you want to. If you were really that dead set on Garrett Bradbury is a liability and we're just gonna target him for four straight quarters, then yeah, they obviously could give them some problems with that, but like what Minnesota would do, you know, they would just slide the protection, so you have a half slide or a three man slide that Bradbury would be in and then they would just be man to man on the back side of the protection. And for the Patriots, I think, what you know, just to kind of bring it back and not get bogged down by debating the the you know, Garrett Bradbury so much like a lot of these points to me to the fact that Mike on wen Who needs to have a really good bounced back. Yes, I think that might regardless. I think Mike Who in general, there's just with brad Burry especially, he's gonna have to take on a lot of the tough assignments on the interior, like he's gonna have to be able to pass protect one on one. He's not. You're not gonna be able to help a ton and pass protection. And when you have a center like Bradberry, who's you know, six two six three three hundred pounds, so he's a little undersized for the offensive line, I think having two Bulldozers or Malers at guard can really be helpful for a center like.
Speaker 2: That, which goes back to the cold strange point too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think Minnesota didn't have that. I think Minnesota had bad guard play on top of having a weak center play and pass protection and so just exacerbated all of these issues. So if you have on Wenu on one side of Garrett Bradberry, and you have a a Leyden Robinson or a City Sew or a draft pick on the other side of Garrett Bradberry that's stout and has good play strength and good anchor to him and all those types of things, I could see the interior working out that way you have. You know, Bradberry helped buy two massive humans right on either.
Speaker 2: Side, and I got to get a massive human at left guard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so City So's a massive city.
Speaker 2: So okay, that's I was gonna say, City So could count.
Speaker 1: This kind of feels like a little bit all off season, and I've kind of felt like Citi Stow's back in play here. Yeah, back to that Bill O'Brien adjacent scheme that he was okay in as a rookie. Back to maybe some more downhill stuff, more gap stuff. Now Bradberry's his zone blocking center has been all the way back to his college career. So could this signal some sort of scheme change or maybe a morphing or melding between what Rabel did in Tennessee and what Josh McDaniels has done historically to bring in some more zone a flavor to this offense. I think it's possible. I wouldn't rule it out. I also wouldn't overreact to one signing, especially at a level like brad.
Speaker 2: I also think this is more about getting that veteran and an experienced player than the scheme.
Speaker 1: His best trait, though, is absolutely his range and his ability to block on the move, you know, latterly, move latterly and reach blocks and climb and all that kind of stuff. That's what he's good at. That typically is more of a zone blocking thing. Like if you're expecting Garrett Bradberry to get on a double team and move the line of scrimmage like that's this is not the center for you. This is not your guy. But if you're asking the center to be more athletic and make more plays in space, then he's definitely somebody that can do that at a pretty good level. So will be there'll be a scheme change, maybe, I doubt it. I still am sticking to my guns that Josh McDaniels is gonna get to do what Josh McDaniels wants to do and has always done, which is, you know, run downhill and two back and power and lead and all that good stuff. But we'll see. The other thought that I had with this Brad Burry signing was what I just mentioned with the guards. This seems to me like the Patriots are gonna have an open competition for left guard out of those three recent draft picks Cole Strange, Leyden Robinson, and City.
Speaker 2: So I could see him adding somebody too in the draft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could see somebody another you know, Dart thrown in there in the middle round. So you know, I did some guard research the other day on Monday, had fun with it. Like, those guards in this class are good. There's some good players in this guard class, especially when you factor in the tackles that are going to move inside for the college tackles. But there's some really good guards that can be had in the middle round, some guys that played tackle in college that can beat tackles in a pinch. You know Arizona kid Jonas Sevilla. Yeah, obviously Wyatt Milam is probably gonna move inside in Gray's Abel and Donovan Jackson, but that's sort of the top of the class. You know, you go into those middle rounds. You know there's some guys like that too. Jalen Rivers from Miami. He played a little the left tackle, a little bit of left guard, so he can be in a pinch, you can flex him outside and move him to tackle. I could definitely see a lot of those types of guys. Your third or fourth round guard, I think is absolutely on the table. Maybe one of those guys can even play a little bit of center for you so that you know it can kind of cross train him and see where he fits best once he gets in here. But those three guys that I think Strange, sal and Robinson are probably gonna be given a pretty good chance to start at left guard. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's gonna be an open competition that I I you're gonna we're probably you're gonna have a competition in camp at least one spot, if not too. But left guard makes the most centrist because of how much they've invested there, and maybe they keep investing. Maybe this staff wants their own guy. Shouldn't be in the top one hundred, but a guy like Carson Vincent or Clay Webb who also has some some center guard flexibility, yeah, would would make sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I would also just say, from my perspective, you should be able to get a left guard out of those three guys, like if you have the right coaching and you have you have the right coaching, like if Doug Moron is doing his job well and if Josh McDaniels is doing his job, those three guys are talented enough that they should be able to find a starting guard as.
Speaker 2: I unless stylistically the guy they want, they don't fit what they want, right, But I kind of talked.
Speaker 1: About that City so should like maybe, yeah, Leyden Robinson's a powerful player. He's not as big as City Show, right, but he's He's a guy that I would say wins with power, you know, like that he that is so of his game is power oriented. But I'm with you. I I think that they're type wise, Like col Strange is probably not their type.
Speaker 2: I think he's going to be more in the mix at center than guard.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just I genuinely feel that way that they if they have the right coaching, if they're in the right scheme, that you invested three top twenty picks, you know, just to be precise in three different guards, like yeah, Robinson and so are high fourth round picks. Cole Strange was obviously a first round pick. If you can't get one starting guard out of those three guys, I think that that that's uh, that's not good. You should you should be able to pull that out. So that brings us to left tackle in this offensive line reset, which I'm also going to write about so you can hear this exact take again on Patriots dot Com tomorrow if you want. But uh, left tackle glaring obvious, glaring hole on that side of the of the ball. Like you can talk yourself into those three guards emerging with one starter at left guard? Yeah, I can't really talk of myself into the left tackle being on the roster currently. Who even is Like if there were to be a competition right and who I guess Kidd and Wallace trying to play the left side again, Like it's not even a competition there right, Not that there's any practices right now, but yeah, you can't even say it's a competition there right now, because there's what it can be. Yeah. That being said, I don't fault them entirely for passing on Dan Moore junior at twenty million dollars a year. I think that one, I can understand. I he's he was not good last year either, gave up the most sacks in the league at that position. I get that one, But that doesn't mean that that's not a cop out like this still used to make a big investment at left town. Cam Robinson still out there. So Cam Robinson still out there. Something tells me that Cam Robinson still being out there is not a good sign for Cam Robinson. I don't know if it's you know, there are some rumors out there. None of it's confirmed, so I don't want to just throw things out there. But with Cam Robinson, but he's still a free agent as a guy that was considered one of the top free agents at that position, which is a very important position, right so the fact that he's still floating out there means his market has not materialized the way that he expected. I would say the other one that I would just mention at left tackle and free agency that's still out there is probably ring chasing right now. But Tyron Smith is still out there. And Tyron Smith, at thirty three years old, played a respectable left tackle for the Jets last year. He was solid, he wasn't great. It was kind of like Work and Moses like those two guys were decent right at their spots. Again, it's another stop gap, it's another band aid on the issue. But I wouldn't hate Tyron Smith with a highly drafted left tackle. You know, maybe you don't have to go left tackle at four. Maybe you go trade back up into the first round or take one at thirty eight, or whatever the case may be. But Cam Robinson and Tyron Smith are those two options to me and to everybody. I feel like, if you want to do that route, if you don't want to be pigeonholed in to tackle at four, and you want to take a tackle at thirty eight or at the late first round in the trade up, then those are your two options to kind of bridge the gap.
Speaker 2: Is Tyron Smith realistically coming here though?
Speaker 1: No, right the only way that Tyron Smith's coming here is if he has very little market and the Patriots are willing to overpay.
Speaker 2: Well, He's also a guy I could see waiting into, you know, the summer to sign so he doesn't have to go through spring practices. Patriots kind of need a guy with them working with Drake May, working with his coaching staff from the beginning, not that Tyron Smith needs to work, but yeah, I just I don't know that. Look, he's better than nothing, but I don't know that he makes a ton of sense. I don't know how realistic it is. I don't know that he makes the most sense.
Speaker 1: So then the other the draft talk or the draft draft conversation at tackle is it kind of comes down to three things for me and maybe you have a you know, a fourth thing. But I don't want to take the chance on Will Campbell, right, like Bank on the film with Will Campbell, that.
Speaker 2: It has to be in the conversation if we're just talking about what the team might do and we're trying to have a realistic conversation about the Patriots draft strategy, Will Campbell at four or six, if you trade down whatever you're not getting past six as a left tackle has to be in the con We can't ignore it. It's not something you can ignore.
Speaker 1: So Bank on the fact that Will Campbell can make it work with the arms, yep, flip armand membo to left tackle yeh, or target the next wave Josh Simmons, Josh Connery, Arianti Erserie either at thirty eight oh one of those guys falls a little bit, or go up and get them in the back half of the first round. Out of those three options, where do you stand on March nineteen.
Speaker 2: What do I think they're gonna do? I think it's gonna be Campbell.
Speaker 1: Okay, you where does Alex Barth stand?
Speaker 2: I would probably get a gro and try to move up into the twenties and ursery. Who is the third guys Banks? Right?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, well so Banks is interesting?
Speaker 2: Who is the third guy in your second tier?
Speaker 1: Connor Simmons.
Speaker 2: I'm out on Simmons. I've said that I'm out on Simmons. I'd rather Versary than connorly, but you know, I would take either. I just think that's the most proudent course of action. You got to be able to move up, and I don't think you're getting either of those guys at thirty eight because we saw this last year. There is such a shortage at the tackle position. Teams are desperate, Teams are going to be aggressive, aggressive to try to fill that hole. Guys are gonna go significantly earlier. Once once Kelvin Banks goes right, whether it be at eight, at ten, at twelve, that's essentially a starting gun. The race is on, and because after the three guys you named, and to me, Simmons is a good player, but he's not an option for the Patriots. Like there's there's a significant, significant drop off to the next group. So you have three shots and in the Patriots case, in some other team's cases, two shots to get your guy starting it. If I'm being realistic, Banks probably isn't going any lower than fifteen sixteen, that's right. I left them, So yeah, no, and you were right to do that so well. The other option would be do you trade down to like ten, try to get a haul and take Banks there. That would be a fourth option. But to me, you're racing up from thirty eight to try to get one of those guys, and it's probably gonna be expensive, and you're really gonna have to push to do it. They knew last year they needed to do it, and they didn't. They tried last year for both a tackle and a receiver to do this, and they failed in doing so. I said this on the show last night, and I think I'm going to start giving this take stronger and stronger as we go on, pending any changes to the roster. Tell me if you agree, Ev and they should not be picking at thirty eight. I don't think that if they pick at thirty eight they didn't have the best possible draft. You have two thirds, you have the flexibility to move up. Option Number one for me at tackle is getting up to where you need to get up to, which is probably the high mid twenties. And if you package, even if you want to do the lower third, the Jude on third, thirty eight and seventy seven historically gets you to like twenty three, twenty four, and you should You might not get your choice, but you should be able to get one of Ursery and Connery there maybe you do get your choice. That's the move to me. After that, I take the shot on Will Campbell. I know people think I overreact to the right side to left side thing, but and yes, if you want to pull out a handful of examples where it's worked, you can do that. The vast majority of the time it hasn't worked. You can say the same thing about Will Campbell's arm length too, because I know people will come back at me at that. If I were to rank these, it's one, two three, and for people listening, my arms like all the way up on one and two three were two very little little motions. So yes, either way you're asking for an outlier, whether it's Campbell or whether it's moving Membo. And by the way, was not exactly the prototype left tackle either. He has the arm length, but he's shorter, yeah, and he's not as wide as he usually looked forward to position three hundred and thirty two pounds, but it's he's built like a guard. He's built kind of like Kelvin Banks. So either way, two or three are looking for an outlier. To me, trust the coaching staff to either coach up Ursery or coach up Connory, and just looking at their preferences and their trends and the way they've gone. If I had to guess, Ursery's probably hired and Connory on their board.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I put out a mock draft yesterday or the day before, and I took Campbell at four overall.
Speaker 2: Again, if we're playing the prediction game, that's what I think, right.
Speaker 1: And everybody came at me and was like, you said, you were out on Campbell, You're flip flopping, And my take on Campbell has not flip flapped one bit. I feel the same way that I did I personally would not take Will Campbell at four because of the risk with the arm length. I genuinely feel like with Will Campbell you have to be careful there. With four overall, you want to pick that you feel really good about. With that being said, in a draft like this, it's easier said than done to just do that because if Travis Hunter and Abdul Carter are not there, then now we're talking about a group of players that all have question marks right now. They all have certain things about them that we don't love. I saw Daniel Jeremiah tweeted this out yesterday. If the Patriots or any team or to draft Ted McMillan inside the top fifteen, he would be the first four or five plus receiver to go that high since Mike Evans. It's over ten years, so Mike Evans was drafted in twenty fourteen. So you're basically banking on the fact that he's going to be Mike Evans, right like he's going to be that he's an outlier. Yeah, drafting a four or five to five receiver at four overall is an outlier, right, Whether you are in love with the forty or not, it makes him an outlier. Ye, Mason Graham is small, He's two hundred and ninety five pounds. That makes him an outlier.
Speaker 2: Well, not just that, the last defensive tackle to go in the top five was Quinn Williams in two thousand and nine. The last one before that was Marcel Darius in twenty eleven. Right, So that's another one where and how both good players? How much of those guys contribute to their teams winning? Right?
Speaker 1: So Ted McMillan's has the speed concerns that would make him an outlier. Will Campbell has arm length concerns that would make him an outlier. Mason Graham. It's a combination, I would say, of size and position. Yep ash and Gent's a running back. Tyler Warren is a tight end.
Speaker 2: Who's last tight end? And one top five those I don't even think it's Pits Right, didn't Pitts go six?
Speaker 1: Those positions are typically not viewed as great positional value at the top of the draft. So what I'm getting at is is that it's easy to just sit here and say I'm out on Will Campbell, which maybe I was a little bit strong with after the combine. Pitts went for more than I should have been, but it's easy to say that when then you start to look at and survey.
Speaker 2: The lank Right, So who were you in on? Well, I'm just kidding, no, No, that's my point. Like, if you're out on Will Campbell, Okay, well who are you in right?
Speaker 1: So if it were me and I was picking, I would personally I like the scenario of trading back up into the back end of the first round. Now, I just looked it up last last season. I think this is kind of relevant. Marius Mims started another run of O line at eighteen, right, he got drafted at eighteen by the Bengals. Tyler Geiton went in the twenties to Dallas. So I would say that Connorly and Ursery potentially and then maybe Simmons if teams feel good about their his medicals, the twenties to early thirties is probably where those three guys are going in that sort of range. So the Patriots are gonna have to be aggressive. They're gonna have to trade back up, potentially all the way back up into the first round. Do you like Ursery? I personally like Connorly a little bit more. I just think he's a higher level pass protector, and that's what I would want at that spot. Ursery is a maler.
Speaker 2: I like Connor I Thinksery is there.
Speaker 1: I would say he would be their type at right tackle. I think at left tackle they have typically had better athletes and guys that pass protected. A little bit of a higher level erser worries me just I think in terms of foot speed and just nimbleness at that position. He has some of those concerns a little bit like Trent Brown, where like, he's just a bigger dude right so it's a lot of weight to move when he has to move back and forth and side to side and change directions and get out to speed rushers and get underneath them and leverage blocks and get his hands on people that are twitched up rushers like that, He's always gonna just be kind of a bigger guy, and I feel like he moves a little bit like that. Connorly is the total opposite. Connorly doesn't have his play strength, but is a much more nimble pass protector and much lighter on his feet. So if I had to rank the options, I would personally try to target one of those guys at the back end of the first round, early second. That would be number one for me.
Speaker 2: By the way, real quick, last tight end and go top five before Kyle Pits.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Nineteen seventy two, Riley Odoms to the Broncos.
Speaker 1: Jess.
Speaker 2: A couple guys went six overall, but that's a significant, significant outlier. It was Vernon Davis and somebody else went six overall. Kellen Winslow.
Speaker 1: Then I'm going Will Campbell, and I want to finish this. Will Campbell take care in a second, and then I would go Membo like that would be my order with Will Campbell. The thing that I mocked him to the Patriots in my last mock draft. Like I said, what I keep coming back to with Will Campbell is that I cannot fathom that Mike Rabel is going to get into a room with Will Campbell and sit down and talk to this guy and have him here and host him here on a thirty visit and talk to Will Campbell and not fall in love. He is a Mike Rabel football player.
Speaker 2: Every go look up any quote of him talking at any point. That is leadership, accountability, all the ENTI.
Speaker 1: High high football character. He's gonna be captain year two, right and I just with this regime, culture is a big word. It seems like a lot of their moves so far in free agency has been about establishing a culture here in New England. And I just can't imagine that the culture guy an offensive lineman that has that kind of intangible qualities like Will Campbell. I just can't imagine that Rabel is going to look at that and say his arms are a little too short. So I'm asking, right, I just can't see that. So would it be the smartest pick in the world. Would it be a risk? Yeah, it would be a risk. But just trying to project what they might do now, I just think Will Campbell is definitely on their radar.
Speaker 2: I'm with you what it's going to come down to. If Travis Hunter's off the board, I think it's clearly prediction wise, I think it's clearly Campbell.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The only thing is would they pass on Travis Hunter? Because Rabel also talked about how hard it is to get a wide receiver and the importance of drafting at that position, And you know, I could there an argument to be had there based on what we've seen of their philosophies. Now, using my own philosophies using their philosophies. There's a real debate between Travis Hunter, assuming they fume as a wide receiver, which we both think they do, especially out the sign in Carlon Davis and uh Will Campbell. But if Hunter's not there, how's that not the guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How is that not their guy? He's made in a lab to play for Mike Rabel Hunt. We've known that since September.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent. I can't imagine that they would pass on Travis Hunter. Like we've had some opportunities to talk to Elliott Wolfe and uh, I know there's some reporting. I think mass Live has been has reporting on on Travis Hunter. Yeah, more source type of stuff. And every time that I've had the opportunity, you know when I say every time, the one time at the table that we at the combine, I mean the guy was we had two different scouting reports about this guy, like you know, we wrote up one receiver, one corner. I understand to an extent that it's probably just a fascinating player from a lifetime of you know, scouting, that you get to scout a guy that plays both ways at such a high level. That's probably just fascinating for a true scout scout like Elliott Wolf. But at the same time, I can't imagine that they are saying these things about Travis Hunter publicly and privately and then they're just gonna pass on Travis Hunter if he's there at four. I don't think that's necessarily in play. But I'm with you. I think it's Campbell. If it's not the other sort of tie in, then we'll get to all these calls and emails. Can we call it like forty Gate, because like Ted McMillan's forty I have heard every's range from four four eight to four six. Well, for his forty yard dash is private workout. It wasn't even a pro day. He's not participating in the big twelve Pro day. He just did a private workout for teams.
Speaker 2: The majority of the reports, there's only one report that's under four five. The majority of the reports are in the I went back and I looked at everything and I like averaged it out. The majority of the reports are in the mid four fives, like four five three to four five five is seemingly the number, which is also pretty much what it looks like on tape. I'll Yeah, he four to six would be slow even for him, Like that would be pretty eye opening. If he ran a four to six had a private workout, he would have never let that number get out there. Let's be honest. Yeah, so I'm i'm I think it's I'm open. I'm willing to call it like a four five, three, four, five five somewhere in there.
Speaker 1: So he looks to me like a low four fives guy. Yeah, like four or five three feels right. That feels four or five to five on the high end of the range. Maybe if he's a little bit slower than the eye.
Speaker 2: I also wonder if he ran too like because most people run to you run two with the combine, and if people haven't been differentiating.
Speaker 1: So I think that there was some reporting that he only ran once, so he must have thought it run twice. He must have thought it was a decent enough I guess, so run once. So the number that I was looking for him to put up just to really be like, okay, I need to reevaluate this. Michael Pittman Junior ran a four or five to two. Yeah, So we talk about you know, like ceiling floor, mid, mid, middle, mean, whatever you want to call it in terms of prospects, I think with Ted, the floor comp to me is Michael Pittman junior with the Colts, who is pretty good floor. He Yeah, it's a good floor. But he's a ninety catch a thousand yard guy. Right, it's gonna be like eleven yards per catch. Right, that's what he's gonna do. He's in a big frame, but he's really a possession receiver. He is a first and second level guy, and he gets open at the top of the route and that's about it, right, slants in, cuts, stop routes on the outside, back shoulders in the occasional throw it up and let him go get it down the field. That that's Michael Pittman Jr. The middle is Drake London, and I think Drake London brings what I see with Ted on film a little bit. Is that burst after the catch, Right, He's got a little bit more explo honess with the ball.
Speaker 2: That's why I like, did you see that? Did anybody give a ten yard split?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I was really curious because I bet his ten yard split was pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 2: I was curiously what his ten yard split was because of that that burst.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he has an ability, and I know some of the analytics, like some of the player tracking will back this up. Like when he catches the ball, he finds another gear.
Speaker 2: He's the most underrated part of his game is how good he is after the catch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's really good at it. And he's really a really great stop on a dime change in direction to just kind of slip out of a tackle real quick and turn up the field. He has that really good ability. He reverses field pretty well, you know, and he'll just he'll run around, he'll get open on an incut and the defender will kind of come crashing in to try to break up the pass, and he can stop on a dime and come right back up the field and create after the catch. He's really good at that. But what I'm getting at with Ted is that you just need to know what you're drafting, right like and then the high floor I guess I didn't mention, you know, obviously be like somebody like t Higgins, right. Yeah. He also he ran a four five three. I don't know if he ran at the combine. I think that's like an unofficial pro DAI remember, But needless to say, the point being, you have to understand what you're getting with Tep McMillan. You're not getting a field stretcher. You're not getting a vertical threat. I don't think that he really especially playing on the outside. I don't think that he threatens vertically from the outside. He doesn't run by people, especially on the outside against press coverage. But you're getting a good first and second level receiver, and I do think that he will stretch the field a little bit for you in the slot. If you put him in the big slot type of role and have him run seams and things like that, I think that's where he can be effective down the field because then you get him on matchups with linebackers and safeties and stuff like that, and he can win those foot races. So if you understand the type of player that you're getting, and you're creative enough to understand the type of player that you're getting, then Ted McMillan has a nice floor projection. To me, like, I don't see a path where he's a total bright.
Speaker 2: That's why I use Pittman. I appreciate everybody who sent in. We did that exercise last week. What's the komfafee busted? I got a bunch of good uhlies.
Speaker 1: I don't see him being like this monumental bust of a receiver because I think he's got great body control and route running and hands, which is a really good baseline level of trade yacability. Right. So, uh, Ted McMillan, My opinion on him hasn't changed. I still feel the same way. I still think it's a little rich at four. I probably would only entertain it at four though, the only reason why I'd entertained it at four is because he's a receiver. Yeah, And Mike Rabele gave that quote at the Combine that it's hard to find receivers of that caliber and most of the time you have to draft those guys. So is there a scenario where they just say we need playmaking on offense. He's not perfect, but he's a playmaker. Yeah, we're draft in Ted.
Speaker 2: And to anybody, so we'll trade down and do it. Maybe the trade's not there right right, or you can't trade you know, really, So I'm gonna ask you two questions about this. Yeah, well one question and then one series of questions. Is Ted McMillan slow, Yes, I disagree. I just don't think he's fast. Well, he has functional speed.
Speaker 1: That's the most semantics are.
Speaker 2: He has functional speed. No, it's not No, it's not the same. He's not slow. For the who do you remember the guy from It was David Bell right from Purdue. He was a couple of years ago. Whoe everybody was all hot and bothered by he was like a top one hundred pick and then he ran like a four to seven. That guy slow. Teed McMillan has functional speed. He's not fast, but he's not slow. He has functional speed. Here's the other party, who's your wide receiver?
Speaker 1: Two?
Speaker 2: Right now? Is at Golden or is it?
Speaker 1: I'm still on still like Luther Burden. I know the league doesn't.
Speaker 2: But which gap is bigger? And this is Travis Hunter being his own thing, right, which gap or actually this is the three? Is Travis Hunter is a receiver to tet versus TET to Burden? Which gap is bigger?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good conversation. And I also would say add the tackles in there too, write like it's a bigger gap like Will Campbell and armand Membo.
Speaker 2: Josh to a receiver just a receiver.
Speaker 1: Uh, I would say that there's probably a bigger gap between Tet and Luther Burden.
Speaker 2: Then yeah, okay, so let's go. Let's say Hunter's off the board, right, Tet to Burden or Burden to Golden Orbuka I have, I have.
Speaker 1: Burden, Abuca, and Golden all in the same tier. Okay, so I view those guys as pretty equal players. I think all three of those guys, and I think Luther Burden's getting hurt by last season and some of the antics last season for teams. I'm sure that there's questions about that, But to me, those guys all belong in the twenties of a draft, like they all there right, wears A Flowers and Jackson Smith and Jigba and Jordan Addison and Quinn Johnson were.
Speaker 2: So I guess this, this is kind of what I was leading to. Let's say, so Hunter, you're uncomfortable at four, but you acknowledge maybe you need a receiver. The trades, I'm definitely taking McMillan. Sorry, McMillan, Yeah, yeah, sorry, Yes, I take Hunter for McMillan.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe the trade's not there to get down to like six or seven where you want him. You can trade down to like fifteen, and let's say a future first, right and get or maybe you don't because obviously, if you can get the future first, you're taking the future first. You trade down to like fifteen somewhere to teens knowing you want to take a receiver and you take burden.
Speaker 1: Yeah, would you.
Speaker 2: Rather and you're maybe overdrafting burden a little bit, but now you've gotten this hall, would you rather do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd rather do that. Okay, maybe it wouldn't be burdened just because they feel they don't.
Speaker 2: Or Golden or whoever, right, Like, to me, Golden is the second best wide receiver, especially like if we're talking specifically for the Patriots, and if Josh McDaniel's gonna run the offense, we think he's gonna run to me. Matthew Golden's wide receiver too, And the gap between McMillan and Golden is not as big in that regard as maybe some people would make it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there's a lot of people that agree with you in the league on that. Like, I think there's gonna be teams that have Matthew Golden as the number one receiver in this class, especially teams that prioritize speed obviously over some of the other things with Matthew Golden or with Luther Burden. Actually, I just feel like with Burden, mel Kiper and Daniel Jeremiah both had him out of the first round and their mocks there this week. That's not based off of tape. That's based off of intel they're getting inside the league that teams are not in love with the football character right in terms of some of the answer, I don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's a character thing with Golden. I think he doesn't have a Golden too. Right, then Golden outside the.
Speaker 1: First round, no's going the first I thought you said Golden, and I think with Luther Burden.
Speaker 2: Okay, then yes, it's talent. It's not talent, which is crazy because if you talk to people who are around him at Missouri, yeah, you hear about what a great kid he is and how driven he is and all of that and what he's meant to the community. So it's literally just getting frustrated in that broken down offense last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it. Yeah, So let me ask you this question, because now that these mocks have come out and he's out of the first round, Yeah, are you taking Luther Burden at thirty?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? I mean unless they take Ted at four double right right, Yes, if they go tackle in the first round and Luther Burden's there thirty eight h absolutely yeah, Yeah. I think your camp, your comp has been bigger.
Speaker 1: Z A Flowers, Yeah, bigger.
Speaker 2: I think there's some debo there, ye, Like you plug that guy into this offense, you're gonna have a really good time.
Speaker 1: I wonder some of the reporting out there, think Tom Kerran had it about DK Metcalf and they were worried about the diva wide receiver calling for the ball all the time and begging for the ball all the time. Burden last year. You could take some of the antics that he had and spin it that way that he was mad he wasn't getting targets.
Speaker 2: I think that's what it was, right, so Brady cooked.
Speaker 1: Just maybe if they felt that way about DK, then maybe it takes a guy like Burden off their board. But I kind of feel the opposite way because I trust Rabel with the culture stuff, like I trust him to get a young player like Luther Burden to stay on the track.
Speaker 2: That's the difference there. Young player. It's one thing to talk about a twenty seven year old, you know, thirty million dollars a year guy versus a rookie, especially guy who has fallen in the draft.
Speaker 1: I would just hope that Vrabel would look at it that way and say, you know what, like I'll texta this kid every single morning during the season to get his butt in the facility and make sure that he's on his p's and q's and make sure that we have him ready to play and all those I would just if I was able, I would just trust myself to like raise a guy like.
Speaker 2: He's also again, like I think it literally came down to the production of the offense and his production. Don't think it's any deeper than that. Drake may is a much better quarterback than Brady Cook. And if you're drafting Luther Burden in the top forty on this football team, he should be one hundred and ten hundred and twenty target guy. I'm not worried about him getting upset over lack of targets, simply for the reason that if he is a lack of targets, you screwed up. That's on the team that guy. Like I've talked about certain receivers maybe not being volume guys in this offense. Luther Burton's one hundred and twenty target player if he's healthy in New England. I'm not worried about him getting lack of targets because I'm drafting him with the idea that I'm going to feed him in the football constantly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we're both still now on ten at four.
Speaker 2: I'm not like a hard I'm a soft no.
Speaker 1: It's so hard in this I kind of feel about it.
Speaker 2: So I feel about Ted McMillan in the same way I felt about Mason Grant before they added Milton Williams, which was I don't think he'd be a bad pick, but he's definitely not the best pick they can make.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with that. I think in this draft it's so hard because all these guys.
Speaker 2: There's out on anybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's positive and negatives about everybody, and it's it's a it's not a perfect draft, not that any draft's perfect, but it's really this one's really not a perfect draft. So it's tough to be a hard no on anybody. I mean, if I could understand it, but I think that it's a risk if.
Speaker 2: You're but they're all rich. Like this is why I won't say I'm a no, because I think when you say you're out on a player, you have to give an alternative, right, So let's say, let's say we throw that qualifyer again, Hunter and Carter off the board, right, Okay, so you're out on Teed McMillan, you're out on Will Campbell? Like, who are you in on? You have to have somebody you're willing to pick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have to pick somebody, as you like, right, So who? So who?
Speaker 2: If you're a no on Tech McMillan, who, I don't know? No, you can't say you.
Speaker 1: Don't know who would I pick? I would take Will Campbell, but I said you wouldn't. But in this scenario, I would take Will Campbell.
Speaker 2: Okay, I thought you said you wouldn't take him before.
Speaker 1: I said I would take him in that scenario.
Speaker 2: Not projecting what they are, not projecting them. You you're on the clock Hunter, and for this team, Hunter and Carter are gone, and the trade isn't there. Nobody wants to move up. You're just gonna let the clock run out like the Minnesota Vikings and let somebody make the decision for you.
Speaker 1: I might.
Speaker 2: Well, that's terrible.
Speaker 1: It's a terrible spot to be in I'm.
Speaker 2: Taking Campbell in that scenario, I feel great about it. I'm probably taking can.
Speaker 1: I guess I'm probably taking Campbell.
Speaker 2: Like you, you can't just be out on everybody, is my point. Yeah, I know you make a valid I would take a long hard look at Tech McMillan. I would take a long hard look at Tyler Warren. I would still take a long hard look at Armond Membo. Honestly, I really would. But I think, as that clock's mine and I'm taking every second to try to make calls, and realistically you'll probably get a trade. But I think i'd end up taking Will Campbell if I was in that situation, wouldn't feel good about it. And maybe I don't know that there is a pick you're gonna feel good about. But again, you're just gonna let the clock run out, all right, you know what Jaguars you pick, You make the decision for us, and then we'll just take who's left. But you still might not like anybody. You're gonna let the Raiders decide at what point. Honestly, I'd feel pretty good about letting the Jets decide. Now, I'd pick an eight. I'd pick an eight because whoever the Jets take at seven is probably wrong. So you know, whoever they leave is probably right.
Speaker 1: It's a tough spot to be in.
Speaker 2: It's not easy. It's not an easy draft. This is a hard draft, and that that clip is gonna get turned into me saying I think the Patriots should undoubtedly take Will Campbell, but no, it's just an exercise.
Speaker 1: I think the only thing I come back to with Will Campbell then and then we can stop laboring this point. The worst case scenario is that he's a really good guard. Yeah, that's the worst case scenario. Whereas I think the worst case scenario with a guy like Ted is that he can't get open, right, Yeah, and that's that's really not good.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: So like that, that, to me, I think is a big difference. Uh, with those two players.
Speaker 2: I don't know, somebody in the chat, this is a good one, tough spot. I'm absolutely taking Campbell in that scenario. Jihad Campbell, Oh my god.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: I think Jalen Walker is a better linebacker than Jehad Campbell is. But that's another guy I would take a long, hard look at. I do like John Campbell. I just think Jalen Walker's little better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like if you you know, if you really don't like those options, then you're you're going and you're you're taking a defensive player with some tools, right, you know, whether it's Jalen Walker, it's Mikel Williams, who, by the way, Michael Williams, we haven't heard anything about his pro day. There's like a forty time that got floated out there that wasn't so great, and we haven't heard any other testing numbers from this prod, which makes me worried that that tells me that they weren't good.
Speaker 2: They used to televise to Georgia Brodey.
Speaker 1: If they were good. If Mikel william had this great pro day, it's like Trayvon Walker esque pro day, we would all know about it, right, Like those numbers would be everywhere. He also didn't can participate in the combine. I don't remember if there was an injury with him, but like, I don't know if if Mikyle Williams was this like a Donnis athlete that everybody thought. Shamar Stewart is like another one of those guys. Right, they had to blew up the combine. It's a tough spot to be in.
Speaker 2: All right, better hope somebody wants that pick.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, We're coming up on another weekend without football, So why not spend the off season getting organized with Bob's Discount Furniture shot bos and revamp every room with smart storage solutions like the Beamont Bedroom set featuring built in drawers for all your Patriots gear, or the customizable Modular Bob Sectional, which now includes hidden storage consoles for all of blankets, remotes, and that football you practice throwing with when no one is looking. So stock up on winning storage styles with Bob's Discount Furniture. The official furniture store of the New England Patriots and Patriots Catch twenty two is sponsored by the Massachusetts two fifty campaign. Come, I'm a history of possibility. Plan your revolutionary weekend at Massachusetts two fifty dot org. All right, I know you guys have been waiting. Let's get to these phones. Patty is an agoam. What's up, Patty?
Speaker 2: It's up, Patty?
Speaker 1: What is up?
Speaker 2: Jen?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 1: How are we doing.
Speaker 6: Doing all right?
Speaker 7: Today? I had a point that I wanted to say, and then I'm gonna end with a couple questions. So the point I wanted to make was regarding the offensive tackles to Alex. I know you say you'd prefer Ursery over Connolly Junior.
Speaker 8: I've done.
Speaker 7: I'm a sick Oh, So I do like a lot of like podcast listening reading on all these kids coming out of college and I have, I mean I have for like thirty plus years, right, So to me, just from what I've gleaned, it looks like Ersery is more of a plug and play guy. I mean, he could start on the web side day one. Connery though, is a little bit younger. I think he's only twenty one and use a former running back and a former basketball player. And it's a lot of the stuff that I'm reading that I'm listening to says that he hasn't even hit his floor, his potential floor yet as a target, I mean as an offensive tackle. So just going by what you guys said, like if you were to get someone like Tyron Smith to be like a stop gap player, a lot of these guys, like the PFF guys, Steve Belt, I know he's not with them anymore, but Steve the old guy from PFF. Yeah, they're saying that he could be possibly the best franchise tackle out of the whole class, and that's what that's kind of like, that's what I'm looking for. And that's just my two cents on that. So my two quick questions I have for you guys, and these these are kind of thinkers. I can't even like come up with them just in your guy's opinion. The first one, who's the safer pick out of Tet McMillan and Wild Campbell.
Speaker 2: I think will Will Campbell because at very least you're getting guard Yeah right, yep.
Speaker 7: And I think the second question I had is, I know I just kind of prefaced this what's talking about Josh Connolly, but just in that same day, and I think if Travis Hunter is there at four, TEP might be more of a just a day one starter, plug and play guy. You kind of see that between him and Hunter because a lot of the stuff that I hear in ridon Hunters that he's still rob like he's still learning the position. I would take Hunter at four and just kind of let him learn on the fly. But I'd like to get your guys thoughts on that, and I'll take it off the air. Guys are the best. I'll talk to you next week.
Speaker 1: Thanks, Patty. Yeah, I can understand, you know, some of those people that think Hunter's kind of still developing as a receiver, but I'm not taking him over.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, McMillan's obviously more developed at the position he's been playing in his whole life. Flicker has never focused full time on receiver. But the idea is once you let him do that with his natural skills, he's gonna truly progress at a rapid an exponential rate. So I'm betting on the ceiling there. Like McMillan probably has a slightly higher floor at wide receiver than Hunter, slightly higher floor, but I think the ceiling for Hunters much much higher.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I also I think Hunter's actually got some real natural instincts for receiver, which I really was comes from playing corner pretty surprised by in a way. Was. Yeah, maybe there's some like technical stuff with like his release in the top of the route and stuff like that that he will need to develop with more time spent on receiver, but he's got a really good feel for play for running routes against zone coverage, like finding soft spots and pockets and zones. He has a really good field working off script with Shador Sanders and making himself available for the quarterback and has a great motor just like constantly trying to get open and constantly working himself open, which would translate nicely to Drake May and then he's got great ball skins. So like those things are just natural abilities that when you watch him at receiver that he just has innately already. So we can maybe get bogged down by the fact that his footwork at the top of the route could be a little bit more efficient, or his hand fighting against man to man and press could be a little bit better, but like those things are gonna come when he plays a position more often the things that he's innately good at are naturally good at. Like that's his floor. That's like where you know, I feel safe with him as a pick, So no, I wouldn't really panic about that. But I'm with Josh Connerly, Like I like the idea. Now, if you're telling me that you feel like they need to sign Cam Robinson as a one year bridge or even a half year bridge just to coach up Connorly before you throw him in there at left tackled, And I don't hate that plan, but I'm with Patty. I'm taking the upside, like I'm going for the guy that I think can be a really high level left tackle. Give me the big mall. All right, Marcus is in South Carolina. We get a lot of calls from North Carolina, Marcus, but you're in South Carolina.
Speaker 9: Yes, yes, thank y'all for having me. I really enjoy watching y'all, and y'all are the best endless out. It's hard to cover this team, and y'all have a non bitter perspective, so I really appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 9: But I wanted to ask about Trey Hares. You know, Jackson Dart's getting a lot of love right now, and I don't know, I don't know if people didn't watch Old Miss every time Trey hair has played, Jackson Dart looked really good.
Speaker 8: I mean, I'm a.
Speaker 9: Florida fan, and the one catch he had was a touchdown for forty three yards. And I'll be interested to hear thoughts about DJ Lagway once he gets close to in the draft. But I just don't get why he's not I get he's older and he's had some injuries, but about a player who can come in and produce right away. I wanted to get your thoughts on Trey Harris and how y'all feel about him as a Patriot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for the call, Marcus. Uh, he was a recency bias from a guy at one point when I was making.
Speaker 2: My way out of the receiver. It's not your kind of player.
Speaker 1: I comped into Brandon Lafel like Crafty, a good route runner for his size, can win at the catch point, just not gonna run by you. You're not not particularly fast. I think that's where some people have reservations with him, is that he just doesn't have a whole lot of bursts or speed down the field or after the catch.
Speaker 2: So Day two Techncvillian, Yeah, he's kind of just.
Speaker 1: Going to catch the ball at twelve thirteen yards and go down Like that's kind of think what people are a little concerned about with Trey Harris. But he's in that group to me in day two, you know, maybe just you know, from let's call it sixty to one hundred that yea, you're gonna have a slew of receivers go there, and I think Trey Harris is probably gonna end up.
Speaker 2: Somewhere higher than sixty. But yeah, like somewhere on do you mean like forty to eighty.
Speaker 1: I think he can go top fifty.
Speaker 2: He could maybe, I mean if I don't know, I don't know where teams are at with aomnor. But like he's yeah, one of the next X guys up, got more speed, I think so. Yeah, Trey Harris is a solid player. So I think Jackson Dart's getting a little too much love.
Speaker 1: That's putting it nicely.
Speaker 2: I will say to his other point, I do really like DJ Lagway. I'm a big fan of DJ Lagway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know you are. He's what next year to.
Speaker 2: Know, he's a true freshman past two years or so, he's twenty five, he's twenty twenty seven draft, So.
Speaker 1: Start tanking now, Yeah, I mean not who else?
Speaker 5: Is it? No?
Speaker 2: Somebody else too? Who's the other quarterback? There's another really good quarterback in that draft? And that's actually that draft's gonna be unreal because it's gonna be Lagway, It's gonna be Jeremiah Smith, it's gonna be Ryan Williams, it's gonna be the guy, the Dylan Stewart from South Carolina, the pass rusher. Yeah that this freshman class is unfreaking believable. But I really like DJ Lagway. He's my kind of quarterback. Big. I can throw it a mile, a ton of zip on the ball, runs runs around. You're descrireless. Yeah, he's he is kind of day oh. I mean, we'll see. It's too early to see where he's at. He was kind of up and down this year, but he didn't get the starting reps in camp. That was Graham Mertz. Graham Mertz is gone. So I'm looking forward to see what he can do with a full year and hopefully some better receivers because a lot of his receivers left. But you know who actually his top receiver is gonna be next year? You want you're ready to feel old Eugene Wilson, the third, the third, well, the one who played here was j So his son, uh and DJ Lagways. So we'll talk about him for the Pats next year. He'll be draft eligible next year. Eugene Wilson's son. Imagine if they ended and imagine they ended up with the same team, ended up with the Sante Samuel and Eugene Wilson. But one's a receiver now, so they'd be running, you know, against each other.
Speaker 1: Just throw Jason Taylor's son in there. Too, and then you have like an.
Speaker 2: All but Mason Taylor didn't play here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but it's like an age.
Speaker 2: I get what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Two thousands reunion.
Speaker 2: We're getting there.
Speaker 1: Who else?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: I think Chad Pennington's son is playing college football? So my god is in the FBS.
Speaker 1: Sold all right, So that's the mcnabs kid. Just just think, yeah, all right, Chris is in Allentown. What's up, Chris.
Speaker 2: Chad Pennington's son is at Marshall Bellow makes sense?
Speaker 1: Chris?
Speaker 2: You there?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, go for it.
Speaker 5: Thank you guys for taking my call. That's my first time calling in. Usually I have to catch this on the podcast afterwards.
Speaker 1: Love it.
Speaker 2: Thanks appreciating going.
Speaker 5: So my question is, since it's the time of year for hypotheticals, if something weird happens at the top of the draft, Let's say Carter falls to us at four, or they fall in love with Ashton genty, or we trip on the way up to the stage and don't get to pick somebody.
Speaker 8: We go past the.
Speaker 5: Fourth overall pick and we don't have either a receiver or a tackle because we had to take someone else. Now we're looking at that that second tier trading up into the end of this end of the first beginning of the second for these guys, which is the bigger drop off from your you know, your thirties to your sixties, either wide receiver or tackle.
Speaker 2: Tackle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would probably say tackle too. Thanks for the call, Chris. Yeah, after Ursery, I think is probably the one in my mind would probably I guess Simmons with the injury maybe, but after that group goes, you know, Connorlycery Simmons, After that group goes, I mean, who is the next true tackle, Like not Wyatt Milam, who's gonna move inside the guard? But like, is it Belton? It might be Belton.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's one more guy in there at Am missing.
Speaker 1: Because it's all because that's all that that group of Wyatt Milam, Gray Zabel, Donovan Jackson from Ohio State, all those guys are probably gonna play guard.
Speaker 2: Oh, I guess it would be one of the true right tackles would be Cameron Williams or Emery Jones.
Speaker 1: I think I think both those guys might play guard too, especially Emery Jones. Emery Jones's tape it right tackles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so then it would Yeah, I think you're probably between Belton Pillow. I know some people like Logan Brown from Kansas. Yeah, I put him another step down. He got kicked what he got in a fight with the teammate. Yeah, yeah, Yeah, it's probably Belton or Trapillo, depending on what you're looking for. What you like.
Speaker 1: That's not a great, that's not good.
Speaker 2: Those are not definitely not day one starters, might not be year one starters. I like Belton, I like his upside. Trapillo is an interesting prospect too. I'm not expecting you those guys to start early on.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It it's not a deep tackle class, and I think this is you know, we've talked about this in the past, but because you don't have the all it's the Fashanos. The figwas, uh, those guys bumping down the next tier like you did last year where you had that Kingsley, Sue Mattier, Roger and Patrick Paul tier. That tier doesn't really exist in this draft because all those guys are going higher, right, So this is a tough one in terms of tackle outside the top forty. I think it really drops off after that.
Speaker 2: If they miss Uneursery and Connery, like they're not. Venerian Lowe's a candidate to start week one next year, Like that's it probably strong candidate to start week one next year, because I don't know where else you're getting somebody. You might bring in somebody later on who competes with them, and maybe like Belton really pops on the left side, but that's an open competition in camp. One hundred percent. Yeah, So if if they get by thirty eight and they even taken a tackle, they're not they had they didn't address the need.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of receivers in my mind in every draft, yeah, and this draft. I know that people are down on the receiver class this year, especially at the top. I don't think the league is too a gung ho about the receiver class either, but I always feel like to know some of those Day two guys, a couple are gonna hit. And maybe I'm not saying that they're gonna be Lad McConkie or be like stars, you know, but a couple of them will be viable NFL receivers. You know, caller called in about Trey Harris, you know, right, Jack Betch from TCU, you know those types of guys. One of those guys is gonna be a good player. Maybe a couple.
Speaker 2: Just see Steve Smith thinks that Jack bet should play tight.
Speaker 1: End, Well, I would assume he plays big slot. Like, so we're kind of splitting hairs right, Like he's gonna be an inside predominantly receiver. If you want to call him like a move tight end instead of receiver, then it we're kind of yeah, we're in semantics land there. But uh Jack Betch Trey Harris, I you man or I don't know exactly where he's gonna end up. He might go a little bit higher than than you know that third round projection, if you will. I mean, there's other guys I can't think of off the top of my head, but I don't hate any of those guys. Like I think, like, where's Jalen Noel gonna go? You know, he's probably gonna go second round. You know, I think he's a good player. Uh Higgins is probably gonna go second round too, He's a good player. Uh. Ted Johnson is probably gonna go undrafted. I'm just kidding. I don't know where Ted Johnson is gonna go. I know you want we want to talk about outliers. Yeah, that that that's fair. Okay, So this is a good question. I don't know if we've I addressed directly. Yeah, maybe we have. But Andrew and Lincoln is a long time listener, so he just emailed us asking about Will Campbell versus Peter Skaransky, because obviously Rabel drafted Scronsky. It was his last first round pick in Tennessee. Uh. In the first round, they drafted Skoransky and immediately moved Skronsky inside the guard. It wasn't even a conversation about it.
Speaker 2: They guard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they wasn't even a conversation. He played college tackle. Skronsky's a little shorter. Yeah, his arms are a little bit shorter. I don't think that he moves as well as Will Campbell. Will Campbell is an excellent athlete. But all in all, I can understand where the emailer is coming from. That aren't aren't those guys kind of similar?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And in one way, if you want to be predictive about it, it kind of says, okay, well that's a Rabel guy, right, if you want to look at it that way. The other way to look at it is Rabel's gonna think Will Campbell's guard, right, because he thought Skoransky is a guard. Do do you see any comparisons there with Skansky and Campbell.
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously a little bit, but no, I think Skoransky everybody kind of knew he wasn't the He was a good tackle, he was not the level of tackle Will Campbell was. I've said this in the lead up to the arm measurement, right, if he comes in under thirty three, it's about asking yourself, do you believe he is a special kind of talent that he can be a trend breaker and reset the margin. Skoransky's good. I don't think anybody ever believed Skorroansky was that level of player, that he was going to be this generational talent where he could offset, especially how short his arms are. Campbe's a little closer. I also think he's above thirty two and five eighths. Just the whole thing with the combine measurements versus the Senior Bowl and Shrine Bowl measurements. The fact that the Senior Bowl and Shrine Bowl are similar, and the combine it's like an equal outlier from those two. So did the Senior Bowl and Shrine Bowl both get the measurements equally wrong? I STI don't think Campbell's thirty three, but I think he's probably closer thirty thirty two and seven eighths.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe he that thirty two and seven eighth number that's been out there, Yeah, more accurate.
Speaker 2: So I I mean, I understand it's it's the same, like I it's similar. I understand where that comp's coming from. But I think the situations are different enough. I if anything you know is able, maybe looking at it, like we'll try him at tackle the worst case scenario like Skeronsky's the worst case scenario for him with Campbell more than I guess, like a blueprint.
Speaker 1: I think I think Campbell's a better player than Scar Yeah, oh yeah, I think he was a better player. But yeah, I can see the comparison. All right. Alexander has two good questions. I want to start with this one first, though, is actually his second question, because I have to get your take on the mock draft heard around the world by Mike so awesome Ashton Genty fourth overall, but before we talk about the Patriots and Ashen Denty, Alexander thinks that the Giants at three overall could take Ashton Genty to replace Saquon Barkley. And I got it that that's not gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Not if they don't have a quarterback. Maybe if they get Rogers.
Speaker 1: But if Joe Shane wasn't willing to pay Sakwon Barkley because he doesn't believe in running backs, why would he draft a running backs?
Speaker 2: And he learned his lesson because he's getting meaned to death on the internet. That's why I'm all for that. Take Ashon gent at three, I'd be great. I love Mike's mantra. Ultimately the point of Mack drafts, which people forget. Yeah, it's so it's two prong it's predictive, but it's also like the exercise. The way I view it is it's just a tool to help teach people about the prospects in the draft. That's why I usually try to avoid because I'll do three Patriots mock drafts and three NFL mock drafts, so I make six first round picks for the Patriots and make every other pick three times. I try my best to avoid repeating players so that I get people informed on as many players as possible as many situations. Right, all right, so if they go this position at the top, now what's next? Blah blah, blah, Drake May and I think just about every one. I think I had one Patriots one for Jane and Daniels last year, but that was different. It was a unique scenario. So what would it look like. It's part of the exercise. We're just doing scenarios like we did before. Right, Hunter and car both off the board, phones dead, no trades? Right, who are you tay? Will that happen? I don't know. What's an exercise? This is all about playing out different scenarios. What if the Patriots just think there's a real chance I've said this that, regardless of positional value, Ashton Genty is the best football player on the board when the Patriots are picking it for What if they just look at that and say, it's as simple as that. Will that happen? I doubt it? Should it happen? Probably not, But let's play out the scenario. Let's learn something. The crazier thing was Ursery getting all the way to sixty eight.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm more probably we discussed that. That's a side note obviously to the Jesse thing.
Speaker 2: You know, but you know what, my he got people worked up. He had some fun with it. It's it's supposed to be fun. This is all supposed to be fun and have some fun with it, and good for Mike for having fun.
Speaker 1: We lose the plot on that a little bit. This is all supposed to just be.
Speaker 2: The plot on it. I love having fun with this stuff.
Speaker 1: I think the biggest argument for Ashton Genty is the one you just made. If you truly feel like he is the best football player on the board, then you could make the argument. And we sat here and said, it's a tough spot to be in if if Hunter and Carter are off the board, because it's like who do you take? Who do you take? At that point that being said, what I keep coming back to with Ashton Genty because I'm a nerd and I can't get the positional value out of my head. I just I find it the path to making Ashton Genty work that pick, make him work to be hard.
Speaker 2: For this team. Yes, I agree with you. Let me ask you this. Let's how all right, let's say, and we're kind of idealizing things here. They sign Cam Robinson and they go receiver with their first pick, whether it's tet or they move back and they get Burden or they get Golden Right. Yeah, So you have a left tackle, you have a receiver. Okay, moving up to three whatever you want to call it, Amari and Hampton.
Speaker 1: That's the other part about this to be that I can't wrap my head around with Genty, Not to tease Mike anymore than I did yesterday, but it's such a great running back class.
Speaker 2: That's my biggest part.
Speaker 1: So like is the drop off from Genty to Amarion Hampton to the second day two guys like it's it's so much you can find what they need, well, somebody to push Formandra Stevenson, like Rmandra Stevens is not a scrub. I know he had a bad year last year, but he's not a scrub.
Speaker 2: The drop off from Genty to Hampton is significant, but that's more about genty being this rare prospect than it is about any of the other guys. You're right, if you're just trying to get a guy who's gonna push Stevenson and and fill in, you know, give you a really solid number two. At least you can get that guy early on day three. Frankly, if you want to go.
Speaker 1: To twenty of those guys in this draft.
Speaker 2: That might be a little high. There's it's probably closer to ten.
Speaker 1: There's probably it's like legit like legitimately gonna.
Speaker 2: Right, But draft well running back does not mean is gonna push Ramondre Stevenson for the starting.
Speaker 1: Job third or fourth round. I can. If they take one at seventy seven, I'm not gonna kill him for it. Depends on who it is. But if they take one at seventy seven, I'm not gonna kill him for it. If they take one at one of six, I'm.
Speaker 2: Not gonna If they take one at seventy seven, my guess is it's Dylan Samson from Tennessee, who is a well rounded back, a really good in space, and that's he'd be a good complimentary player to Stevenson because he's he's a little better catching the football and he plays in that widespread Tennessee offense. So they were so good at getting him one on one with defenders. So if you're gonna run some of that outside stuff that McDaniel's runs right as a counter to pounding the ball with Stevenson, you can get him one on one with slock corners in safety.
Speaker 1: Safety.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's gonna be really good in the The other guy at seventy seven would be Cam Scatabo.
Speaker 1: Who who's picking up some steam again.
Speaker 2: Picking up a lot of steam. He So that's my day two Ashton Genty. Honestly, well there's two day two act their second round ash and Genty is quinch On Judkins, and third round ash and genty or fringe top one hundred, ash and genty is Cam Scadrow. The only reason Cam Scadbow is not gonna be a top fifty pick, there's two reasons. Late breakout player and he's twenty gonna be twenty three, twenty four year old rookie, but his skill set and he is underrated as a receiver. Do not everybody wants to call him Mike Alstott, Do not sleep on how good Cam Scatabo is in the passing game.
Speaker 1: Don't do it nothing.
Speaker 2: Don't do the same with genty, But he'd be he'd be an interesting pick at seventy seven two.
Speaker 1: It makes a total sense to me that Scamp Cam Scattaboo is picking up this late steam because this is when the coaches get involved. Yep, right, So now all of the they met with the common Rabels and the Jim Harbaughs, and like all these guys are like that's just a football play, and I just want that guy on. I want to go to war with that dude, right, Like that's what they're all saying.
Speaker 2: You can rally baby.
Speaker 1: So the scouts are all saying, yeah, but he's he's not very fast, and like, you.
Speaker 2: Know, he's not very fast.
Speaker 1: He's not very big, and he's not he's kind of old, and like.
Speaker 2: He's not tall. He is thick, he's got the muscle, he's thick with two seas. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But then these coaches come in and they're like, but he's a football player, like he's tough, and we're gonna build a run game around him and we're gonna run it down people's throats. And then the scouts are like, yeah, but like he's not really very athletic, and they're like no, no, no, no, Like it's.
Speaker 2: You don't need to run over guys. I give you one more running back. Take look on it. You'll actually like this one. So it was reported last week that the Patriots met with e Equavius Marks Woody Marks from USC at the USC Pro Day Day three pick. He's probably gonna be somewhere. He'll sneak in the top two hundred. It will be like one fifty two hundred range. Uh. Woody Marks is one of the best pure pass catching backs in this draft, so you know, the do it all guys like Jeni and Scatabo like a guy you're going to throw the football to. He's one of the best receiving backs in this draft. Not a guy you're probably gonna hand the ball off to a ton not great in between the tackles, a little bit on the smaller side, doesn't necessarily have that great burst, but he is a mismatch in the past game. Am I reading too much into it to look at that meeting and say we're going back to early down passing down backs and no more splitting by drive, no more splitting by fatigue. It's gonna be Ramandre Stevenson, you know, early on, and then when you get into those third downs, when you get in those two minutes, it's the James White role essentially what I'm talking about. Yeah, and it doesn't have to be Woody marx Well. Quinn Allen from Sarah Jus is another guy I really like. Brischard Smith from SMU is a converted wide receiver. Maybe it's Antonio Gibson. Maybe they're meeting with guys, But it's Antonio Gibson in the building, another converted wide receiver, but like Woody Marks, he's I'm not comping him to James whe because James Waite's an unbelievable player, but like when I look at him, that's the guy they would have drafted five years ago to be in that role. You're not drafting him to hand the ball off to him from under center. You're drafting him to throw him the football. Am I reading too much into that and saying maybe this is a sign the running back mix is coming back.
Speaker 1: No, not not totally. And I would also just say schematically, if they want Drake may Or, I should say, if Drake may wants to play in the gun predominantly and he's not as comfortable under center, yeah, and they're going to be more of a spread offense, then you need like a scap back like you're Remondre. I don't think is a great fit for that type of offense. You want to spread back at that point, it's got some speed and got some wiggle. You mentioned the kid from SMU Bishard Smith, right, Smithy, Yeah, I think Smith. I like Smith a lot like explosive guy. Right, He's He's one of those guys that when he gets a creased, he's gonna be like, he's gonna be gone. Like Quinn Allen is really highly regarded for his ability to and blitz pick up.
Speaker 2: He's an unreal blocker.
Speaker 1: Probably the best blocker in the class. So he's one side is just the best at everything.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes he is. I'm not joking. He's maybe not straight line speed. Outside of that, he might be so, but Quinn Allen.
Speaker 1: Quinn Allen a Day three guy probably that the range. I think there's a handful of those guys. There's one where I'll look it up. I can't think of off the top of my head. For Smith quinn Allen, I want to say like Virginia Tech or something like that.
Speaker 2: So base shall Tutton too. Yes, so he's not he has like the physical tools, yeah, but he's not as developed as like a route runner. Also, he has big time ball security issues both fumbles and like drops. So that's you need to be more reliable in that position. To me, he he I would almost compare him more so. Again, they had the early down passing down and people kind of turned that into big and physical, small and fast. Yeah, there are small and fast running backs who aren't good receivers, which generally their early down backs were Antoine Smith, Garrett Blunt, right, Stephen Ridley, like Damian Harris, these bruisers. They did have a couple early down backs during the run who were the smaller, quicker guys. Lewis, Dean Lewis. Yeah, you see going, I Toutton to me is more in the Deon Lewis mold than he is the James White molt. I love people think Dean Lewis is a receiving back day Like never threw him the ball. You didn't really need to. He was really good.
Speaker 1: That's twenty fifteen. Dion Lewis was like some of the best running.
Speaker 2: He was the play in Dallas where he like ducks under the two defenders and Cory Dylon you know yea three h four.
Speaker 1: And then Deon Lewis in twenty fifteen before he got hurt. He was he was so that That's where I put on some good years in there.
Speaker 2: I'd put toutt more in that group than I would in the James White group.
Speaker 1: I like that group, Deon Lewis group.
Speaker 2: The other guy a receiver were you thinking of Marcus Yarns from Delaware. Yeah, he fits in that group.
Speaker 1: So that's the receiving back tutorial. Yeah, I'm not gonna try to blow you away too much here. Not the first round. Yeah, probably wouldn't take him a running back in the second round either, but running back in the middle rounds is totally in play. I'm totally cool.
Speaker 2: I'm all for that.
Speaker 1: I order fourth round running back, sign me up.
Speaker 2: I would do that, you know, whether it's one of the guys talked about, I'll throw Kyle Mnongai in there. I feel like this is their shot to get right on Missus and Isaiah and Pacheco. Similar player who also, by the way, uh knows the mccardy's and has spoken with the McCarty's Rutgers guy. But like if they I know people want them to draft somebody to push Stevenson. I'm kind of like he had it down here. He was overworked. I think diminishing his workload would help. If they get a guy like le Quinn Allen or Woody Marx in the middle of day three, and that's the big addition, and they're gonna go back to splitting the carry Situationally that would be enough for me.
Speaker 1: I just they need more offense, they need more playmakers.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 1: What's allowing me to overlook my hatred for running backs is that it's such a great class. Yeah, that you're really it's really a great marriage between They have a little bit of a need there and you're leaning into a strength of the class. Right, So you're getting two for the price of one in that respect, and I don't think you should be passing up on that. I feel that way about defensive line. I want a defensive lineman at some point in this draft. I don't necessarily need it to be the first round, but at some point, I would say in their first four picks, right, their top one fifty picks, I would like a defensive lineman. I like a running back, and if they can fit it in, I would like a tight end, you know, if that's possible. I just think these classes are just too good at those three spots for the Patriots to sit back and not take anybody in those three positions. So I am surprisingly for a running back. How about that? I like it? Do you like that? I also like bud light because it's easy to drink, eat to enjoy bud Light, the official beer spawns of the New England Patriots. All right, we got a few more calls, a couple of emails, and then I do want to go over some of the I know you love the rule proposals that we have, so we can go over some of those as well. Here to wrap up the show. But Eldred is in North Carolina? What's up, Eldred? Nice?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: How are we doing?
Speaker 10: Oh? I'm doing pretty good. Hey, I'm like this four. If I did get Smith to come in, I'm taking I'm sorry, man, y'all keep seeing I know he's running full five, but it's in my singing. Watching the game. You watch, watching highlight, keep it in the panther, come on back and I ain't come out on stint. I'm come on straight away straight. And this such thing as football speed and forty speed and Baldy gave her and fruits. You have a good comparison.
Speaker 6: Yeah, y'all see Drake and whatever?
Speaker 10: What are the guys from the ram? He's gone, I think, and I would taken, but wheel Cable, what do you think about Brown? That's a gonna see Eldrid.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna let you go because the phone was given.
Speaker 2: Out that was there a pooka tech McMillan comp and.
Speaker 1: I got the gist, which is why I let you go. Eldred. So, uh he likes Tet McMillan, which I am not shot by at all because uh, Eldred's favorite receivers since I've known him, DK, Metcalf, Quentin Johnson, Tet McMillan. So do you think he has the type? So I I totally get that, Eldred. Uh, he made the Poka cop which is picking up a little bit of steam like taller, slimmer.
Speaker 2: And I plays faster than he tests.
Speaker 1: I have to admit I kind of see it. I kind of see it because's best that's right is catch and run ability. Right, he can hit him over the middle of the field on a slant or a dig or a crosser, and he can he picks up more speed as he runs with the football and after the catch, and he's got great body control, He's got good hands. He's not Pukah's shorter right like Ted's more in that big body frame. But I I kind of if you're don't love like copping him to Drake London like a lot of people do, I don't hate Pokin Nakua as a comp for him. I can see it. You can.
Speaker 2: I totally see where's coming from.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: The other one was the kid from Tennessee, the Burner Thompson. The receiver ran like a four to three at the combine. This is a fast and guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and well, I guess fast and big, but fast and tall.
Speaker 1: I'll give him this. He's legit play speed fast like he plays fast and he runs fast. It's not Taekwon Thornton like. He is not just a forty thing with him, I would say, but he's only fast, like he has one thing. It's straight line speed and get down the field. Now, if you wanted to say, late on day three, fifth sixth round, pair of that kind of guy with a dude that throws the deep ball like Drake May. Yeah, he has a role on an NFL team. He's just a role player, like he is a certain type of receiver. He's not a high volume guy. He's going to take the top off the defense and that's about it. But I wouldn't totally dismiss him because I don't think that it's just the fact that he ran fast at the combine. I think he plays fast. I think he has legit vertical deep speed with Thompson. But yeah, the Pukua nakua things picking up some steam with Ted because I think people are trying to sell tech.
Speaker 2: I think everybody over corrected to him being too bad at the combine and so now they're trying to pull it back the other way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear that one. All right, Rio is an Exeter. What's up? Ryo?
Speaker 5: Yep?
Speaker 8: Can you hear me?
Speaker 1: Yes? Go for it.
Speaker 8: Hey, guys, I appreciate you taking my call. Actually, uh, I have to give Alex the credit for inspiring me to call finally, because he likes to pick up my My comments in the chat was the jihat Campbell guy but I have yeah, yeah, he was at nine and Daniel Jeremiah's latest mock draft, you know, maybe not quite so crazy. But I had just a couple of quick questions. One, uh, why is uh nobody talking about Kyle Williams at Washington stage.
Speaker 1: You're just you're just trying to want to double up the receiver. You're trying to appease my guy here. This is what you're doing. I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: What was what was the other one going?
Speaker 1: To ask about Ben Saws.
Speaker 8: No, I'm not. My other question is actually something uh, something Evan said on you yesterday, Uh, which is the point I've been making for months, which is that I think this is a pretty strong draft, actually just not at the top, and that going from you know, pick four to forty, they're looking at similar quality prospects. So what do you think about completely trading out of number four? No, I trying to get another high pick in the draft. I'll give you a one potential scenario, but doesn't have to be this team, but somebody like the Saints if they wanted to move up for a quarterback and you want to do say like forty seventy one, one, twelve and next year's first for number four overall, so you could, you know, really stock up on picks and you know, build out the roster since they've got fifty one spots they need to fill realistically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for the call. I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Calling in the chat, finally making it to the phone.
Speaker 1: I like the outside the box thinking I need a first round pick in this draft. I need them to take a well.
Speaker 2: I don't know, so like the one he laid out there. So you train with the Saints. So you're gonna have thirty eight and forty, and you're gonna have three third round picks, so you can get back into the first from there. Even if the Saints get a quarterback, if it's one of these quarterbacks, that first round pick next year is probably still a top ten pick. I might I don't trust the Saints to figure it out.
Speaker 1: I might do that I need a first round picking this draft.
Speaker 2: Well, you're essentially you're getting us I think he said, second, third, and fourth, right, So you're still gonna pick in the first, but you just have to move We did this the other week with DK metcalf right.
Speaker 1: About swapping picks.
Speaker 2: Well, no, remember I said, well if you move up to twenty three and then you trade twenty three, and then you said, well why not just give them what they need to move up to twenty three? Right, Yeah, So if you're just getting the Saints are giving you the ammunition to move back up, you just have to do that other trade. You're still gonna pick in the first round. You just have to make another trade.
Speaker 1: Oh, you'd have to make another trade. So are they making the other trade? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I would assume so Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Like, if I know I can get back into the twenties and get one of the tackles, I might do that because you're that Saints. I don't think Saints are figuring it out. I really don't. I think that's gonna be a high pick next year.
Speaker 1: I know you like to pick from next year. I don't I understand where you guys are coming from. I I think that there's a there's an energy that needs to shift here. I don't mean to go all Jayalen Brown on you, yeah, but I just feel like if you don't make a pick in the first round, the excitement level just you're still the season.
Speaker 2: Just so if I can't, if I know I can't trade back up in the first round, I'm not doing it right.
Speaker 1: But even if you trade back up into the first round, I guess it's the equivalent if it's for Connery or if Matthew Golden or someone that really moves the needle for people, I guess people will be excited. I just think there's a lot to be said. There's some momentum right now with this organization, with Frable coming in, with this free agency class that they were able to land on defense especially. I think there's a lot to be said for the fact that drafting and I know everybody would would do a cart wheels for Travis Hunter. But like drafting somebody that ILK is going to bring some juice, So that's important.
Speaker 2: Here's the equivalent of it. And I think you said you would do this the other week. Let's say the Vikings call twenty three, yeah, and they get they will give you twenty three one day two pick in their first next year. Would you do it?
Speaker 1: Why the Viking is doing that? All right?
Speaker 2: Then the Packers at twenty two, I don't know how about the Steelers the text all right, the Steelers at twenty one.
Speaker 1: So Steelers at twenty one they're gonna get have no quarterback? Yeah, they may or may not be in on Aaron Rodgers. I think nobody's in an Aaron Rodgers and I love by the way, let's screw.
Speaker 2: So let's say you're not getting the other pick now, because's a little bit higher twenty one in the future first for four? Are you doing that?
Speaker 1: And the future first for four?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Next year's first. I need more than that twenty one future first in like a fourth I.
Speaker 1: Would do twenty one a third in the future. First four okay, so maybe that's going from four to twenty one is big.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe you could swing that. But and the other part why is nobody talking about Kyle Williams is because he's a little bit older and he only had one year of significant production. But dude can play. Dude can play. He should be talked about more. And one of the more underrated players in this trap. By the way, Lanzerline one of his most underrated players, and I talked to him at the combine.
Speaker 1: Really good route runner. Yep. The Steelers thing has a little bit legs to me. Steelers have no long term answer at quarterback.
Speaker 2: They even have a short term answer a quarterback.
Speaker 1: They don't have a short term answer, but I assume they will right whether it's bringing back Russ or Aaron Rodgers for or Kirk Cousins or whatever. I'm sure they'll have somebody and that seat for a year. Tomlin dion Chador, like I could see that vibe working, Like I could see that mix of characters working in Pittsburgh. He has dk Metcalf and George Pickens to throw the ball to. We talk a lot about with Shador that he's not necessarily a truck. He's more of a a game manager. He's more of a trailer like, he doesn't have to be much of a truck, and he has those two guys to throw two on the outside. I could see the Steelers trying to be super aggressive and come up for one of the quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: I could you get Steelers first round? Well no, but they're gonna finish over five hundred because they always do, so that's not gonna be great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'll be twenty it'll be nineteen twenty. Right, they're gonna be.
Speaker 2: I guess that. Plus the pay whatever the Patriots pick ends up being, should get you back in the top ten. So if the Patriots pick isn't in the.
Speaker 1: Top ten, I don't know. I just keep an eye out for the Steelers. That's all, all right, Let's go to DeShawn in Virginia. What's up to Sean?
Speaker 2: Hold on?
Speaker 5: My god?
Speaker 6: How's it going?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 6: One thing that's the day that people are not really talking about it is that this team has been very very picky, very choosy when it comes to come to come to who they want. Did you know they probably could have turned this team into a Super Bowl team overnight. I mean literally, because if you actually think about it, they could have Stigne every quality free agent. It still has a decent amount of money left over. But because they feel like they're so entitled, they can feel like they're so picky, they can just go about however they want through and in a position to do that. And that's why it is a position right now. As far as trying to figure out who they're going to pick, people talk about who they should think and who they should not pick if they actually have gone at the players instead of think about characters, because you had to ask talk do you actually want to win or did you autual care about winning or actually losing? So you have to pick between the two, and character is a bit overrated when it comes to that notion that they want to, you know, put that ahead of production on the field. That's all I have to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear you this, Sean, And I would say the one real criticism I'd have of the off season so far as passing on that DK Metcalf trade. They could have offered a higher second round pick for DK Metcalf. They had all the money in the world to give DK Metcalf the same contract he signed in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh we literally just talked about has no quarterback. They have no quarterback. It's not a warm weather city, like it was rumored that he wanted to be a part of.
Speaker 2: Think Pennsylvania's decent taxes too, right.
Speaker 1: It's it's a very similar, maybe even worse situation than the Patriots Tomlin and Rabel. I think Tomlin's got a little bit more of a resume as a head coach, but certainly not very far off in terms of what their reputations are and what they're about as a football coaches. That would be a criticism of this offseason to be or the biggest. It's not left tackle. I don't know really what they were supposed to do there. Like I don't didn't like Dan Moore junior Jalen Moore from San Francisco four get four years, twelve starts backing up Trent Williams, Like that's not a real option. Cam Robinson's still floating, so that means that his market is sour in some respects. I can't really fault them for not going out there and get a left tackle, and I wouldn't necessarily kill them for Cooper Cup if they were trying to keep the room a little bit younger. But DK Metcalf that one I can't wrap my head around. I can't wrap my head around why they wouldn't be in on that player. And I know Tom Curran had some reporting about the fact that they were a little bit worried about you know what Deshaun was talking about, that he'd be begging for targets and in Drake May's ear and stuff like that. I think all that stuff is maybe a little bit overrated from the outside looking in, but I think on the inside that that stuff does matter to coaches, to teams, and just as two people that have been around this team for the for a last couple of years, you know, it hasn't always been pretty, and so I can understand why they come from that respect. But I would probably push back on to Sean a little bit that they could be a super Bowl team if they had done all of this, they had.
Speaker 2: Signed with literally every player in frequency, I guess, like you said, but that's not realistic. I mean they uh Chris Godwin, right, Yeah, they offered him like ten million more year in the Bucks than they couldn't say right.
Speaker 1: The criticism. The critique to me, if you have any of their off season so far as Metcalf, like they should have been in on Metcalf and in Metcalf barring Dk Metcalf saying I Am not coming to New England kind of like Brandon Ayuk did. I'm I'm kind of can't figure out why that player is not a Patriot right now. So that that's the one criticism. I would not say that they would be a super Bowl team just by adding Dk Metcalf. No, maybe better, I mean it would certainly be yeah, yeah, absolutely all right.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 2: Jalen Milroe at his pro day, by the way, maybe a guy that should go top three. Kidding, but completed forty five of fifty two passes one man routes well against air. He did have one pass broken up. It hit the roof of the facility. Should have gone outside like Joe Milton went outside, so wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Hit the roof.
Speaker 2: He uncorked that insane throw into the wind. It's a great clip. You just hear some guy in the background go, yeah, I'll play well.
Speaker 1: Mark is in Connecticut. What's up? Mark?
Speaker 2: Going on?
Speaker 10: Guys?
Speaker 1: How are we doing?
Speaker 12: They were doing?
Speaker 13: You know, it's another day. My worry right now is that they've put themselves in a pickle or a buine with not having a left tackle going into the draft, so they're kind of, you know, handcuffing themselves to pick him Will Campbell if he's there. That that's my worry on that. If Hunter is gone and Abdul Carter are gone, that that is my biggest worry that they're going to do that, because I really want them to if Hunter or Abdul Carter are gone, I really want them to pull back out of the pick and just move down, still stay in the top ten and maybe draft Tyler Warren. But that's just my worry that they've put themselves into this and they wanted to get you guys at take on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks Mark, They have I don't know, back themselves into a corner is the right way of putting it. They have needs, like, yeah, every team has needs. They have some glaring ones. I don't think, you know, we were just kicking around trying to kind of come to terms of the fact that about their options outside a Hunter and Carter, and I don't I think every team's thinking the same things about this this draft and I one thing that I've kind of pounded the table for since I really started to get into the draft is this is a fits draft. This this draft is this guy fits our culture, this guy fits our vision, this guy fits a role for us. Like this is not a oh, this guy is just the best darn football player at four overall, and we're just gonna take them above everything else. I don't feel that this is that kind of class. I think that this is one of those classes where you are going to have to have a vision in place for how this player fits in to your program, whether it's position, whether it's culture, whether it's all those types of things, because those are gonna be the deal breakers. Like it's not gonna be talent, like you're gonna grade Will Campbell and Mason Graham and Ted McMillan and Tyler Warren and armand member, we're all gonna be on a level playing field in terms of great based off the tape and by all the you know, all the things that get baked into the grade, It's gonna come down to who you like the most in terms of positional value, in terms of need on the football team, in terms of culture. And that's I think what's challenging about this draft is because we aren't on the inside, and we don't really know how they rank these guys in those types of ways. And why I keep coming back to Campbell because he's such an intangible guy, right His intangibles are through the roof, and so I think that that could be a deal breaker. Now to Mark's point about trading down, I'll say the same thing that I've been saying for three months. Everybody in this draft wants to trade down. Everybody wants out of the top five. Everyone, even the Tennessee Titans at number one overall, would take a trade down if they could, if it would materialize. As of right now, and it could change, you know, we still got what five six weeks to go. Everybody has their original draft pick in the first round, which almost never happens. It's unheard of.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's ever happened in the modern arm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so everybody has original pick, and everybody has their original pick because there's no eagerness to trade up. There's no there's nothing drawing teams to trading up in a draft like this. So I don't mean to like labor a point, but when it comes to trade downs, we all would probably take a trade down. Yeah, if I think that's option number one on everybody's Bingo card, unless Hunter and Carter, one of those guys miraculously falls to four, taking that out of the table. They're not on the board at four. What are you doing. We're all picking up the phones, right, We're all trying to materialize or create a trade that. That's what everybody's doing. But I think there could be some a little bit of wonkiness in the first round because of this. This is gonna be a draft where boards are gonna be widely different. Like some teams are gonna have Matthew Golden as the top receiver. Some teams are gonna have Ted McMillan. Some people are gonna have Tyler Warren as a top tight end. Some people might have Colson Lovelin as a top tight end. Yeah, Like if that's more your type though, you know, Avis Kelcey versus a Rob Gronkowski, some teams are gonna are gonna have a higher grade on Coulson Lovelin. You know, some people are gonna really love the tools, guys like Shamar Stewart and you know, they're gonna might be willing to overdraft a player like that, Like I could see Jacksonville at five overall that's now one hundred and ten percent run by analytics and by nerds, Like they might like a guy like Shamar Stewart because he's a athletic freak and he checks all of those boxes and I'm sure he has great GPS tracking data and all that good stuff that they all love. So we'll see. But I think this could get a little bit weird because it's gonna be who you like. It's a it's a type straft, it's a fits draft, it's a flavor draft, it's not a talent draft. So it'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Uh, Tony is in Pennsylvania, assume what's up, Tony? A?
Speaker 14: What's up?
Speaker 5: Bro?
Speaker 3: Alex? Let me just get me out on this all right, been saying this for a few drafts now, but uh we gotta You might not agree. I'm hoping you do, but uh we we gotta to take the pressure off of Drake May and to make up the lack for our for our offensive line, which is better than last year, we gotta go running back at number four. We gotta get the best running back at number four, ash Jan Genty. And I'm saying this because we could take it back from all the way to our first Super Bowl. We had good, almost great running backs all the way from Corey Dylon, uh Antoine Smith, Redmond, Lawrence Maroney, Shane Vereen, Steven Ridley, and then the last name was Michelle. But but we gotta we gotta take a running back to make up for the pressure that we're gonna get. And that'll take off a lot of pressure from Drake May if we have a run game, and then that'll open it up for the young wide receivers and maybe sign of veterans.
Speaker 1: Thanks for uh.
Speaker 2: Lauren didn't win a Super Bowl here.
Speaker 1: Maroni did not win a Super Bowl. Also not a very good player. So Sony Michelle won a Super Bowl. Also not a very good player.
Speaker 2: Maroney had a like sneaky, really good rookie year.
Speaker 1: He just fell off the Yeah, he had a really good playoff run and those if you go.
Speaker 2: Back and you look at that, like the numbers aren't as bad as we like they're made out to be. He just got hurt.
Speaker 1: So Laurence Maroney and Sony Michelle had very similar careers they have. They both had good rookie years. They both had decent playoff runs. I think that was Maroney's second year though, right, I.
Speaker 2: Think it's even his second regular season was solid.
Speaker 1: I think he meant me, not you, when he said that you weren't gonna like the running back take. But here's the thing with running backs, and there's always the chance. You know, I'll give you an example. Your your guy, Derrick Henry is an exception to the rule. I would say that there's always a chance that a guy can elevate the blocking right, like he's so elusive or he's so powerful.
Speaker 2: But Maroney ran for had a better year his second year than his first year.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it was just a little different thing.
Speaker 2: And then he got he got hurt in O eight and then he just even in nine. He was solid. He ran for eight hundred yards and ten touchdowns.
Speaker 1: Not for a first round pick, not for first round pay.
Speaker 2: He was like a solid play. He gets a little too much crap, like people know, people put him in terms of a draft pick. People put him in like the Nikhil Harry Chad Jackson bust. He's not that kind of bust. I'll give you that, Like, he wasn't worth the pick, but he was still a solid player.
Speaker 1: He was not a draft bust back to gen d Yeah, in the running back call, because that's what he'd called about.
Speaker 2: There here, I am defending Lawrence Moroney.
Speaker 1: Uh that there are a handful, small handful of exceptions of guys that truly elevate blocking, that are immune to bad situations, but the vast majority of running backs are need functional environments.
Speaker 2: For what it's worth, the Boise State offensive line was not good. Genty did that in now another story going from the Mountain West the NFL. But just to give him credit at because a lot of people what was Boise State's line? He was probably just running open. No, he created a lot of that on his own.
Speaker 1: But the take, my point is not even to crap all over the take. Yeah, My point is actually you just shouldn't make the take that way, right, So the take shouldn't be that gent is gonna come into New England and he's gonna make a bad offensive line look good. That should not be the take. The takes should be that we're gonna build it run first, right, We're gonna draft linemen, We're gonna draft Genty and just like the Titans with Derrick Henry, we're gonna run the football and that Genty, his special sauce is gonna put them over the top. Eagles with Saquon Barkley, Lions with Jamir Gibbs, right like, it's gonna make it that much better for nine ers with the house healthy Christian McCaffrey, Like, that's the take. That's the vision Dallas with a young Zeke right like that. It's that you're gonna build a line, and you're gonna build it run first, and you're gonna build it around Genty, and then Genty is gonna take a good situation and make it great.
Speaker 2: Right, No, drafting Genty does not somehow diminish the need to add to the offensive run. It doesn't more he makes it more important. You can go that way if you want, but say, well, you know, if you draft Ashton Genty instead of adding a tackle, Venerian Low is not gonna be that much better because Ashton Genty's back there, right, So yeah, I it's even for me like Genty at four is would be incredibly tough to justify.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're one again, it's not saying there isn't a rationalization. The rationalization, though, is that then you are building through the run game, so your investments are now heavily on the arm.
Speaker 2: If you take Genty at four, you gotta trade back up, trade thirty eight and seventy seven to get back into the first round. Now you're definitely drafting Ariante. Nursery says, you're left tackle because he's more of a road grader. Yeah, and then you're you're you should be taking a guard at sixty nine like that, That is what that draft should look like. You should be a running back followed by two or even three offensive lineman in a row to fill that thing out. Also about a j R. Redmond reference, shout out JR. Redmond, Listen, JR.
Speaker 1: Redmond was a good role player. But if you're gonna see a role player, if you're gonna start listing off, like we need to have Ashton Genty because a j R. Redmond and uh Antoine say Hey and Lawrence Maroney and Sony Michelle and Steven Ridley, that's not the argument you want Ashton Genty for because of Corey Dillon.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, yes, Ashton Genty is more he he would be better. They don't win thirty six without j R. Redmond though that I'm gonna drive and it came up big.
Speaker 1: I'm not throwing jars.
Speaker 2: No, I get you're saying, no, you're not like and I'm huge Antoine Smith fan. I really am. I think he's one of the underrated Patriots.
Speaker 1: Of all time.
Speaker 2: He was a high level platoon back. Yeah, that's like, you don't get at Antoine Smith without Kevin Folk, Right, Corey Dillon was the backfield. You're the famous Bill Belcher. Are you opposed to a was it a feature back?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And Bilt like that, you know, because well Cory Dylan ran for you know, fourteen hundred yards that whatever, like like where he's just like, well, Corey Dillon's at workhorse. You're drafting it. You're not drafting ash and genty to be Antoine Smith or Sony Michelle.
Speaker 1: If he's Sony Michelle, with all due respect, that's a major problem.
Speaker 2: Well, looks like we were just talking about. He's still a solid player, but not for what the pick was. Yeah, no, you're drafting him to be Corey Dillon at least at least maybe Well, apparently Corey Dillon's not a Hall of Fame, which I don't entirely agree with, but if you're taking the running back fourth overall, should be all of yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. All right, Brad is in Ohio. What's up, Brad?
Speaker 2: Hey, guys, real quick, Brat, I gotta throw my cloud in there, shout out of my cloud.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, Oh my god, all right, Brad, go ahead.
Speaker 11: Okay, I've just got a couple of docs, guys, and you know, see what you'll hush over because you're always touching on good points. Evan said something about we need to focus on players that are a best fit opposed to worrying about anything else about you know, where we're drafting and and all that. They need to be a fit to our team, especially on offense. So I'm wondering if you think we should double dip a tight end.
Speaker 12: And for me, again, the only running back that fits our offense is Donovan Edwards. You can put him out in the X and you know, let him run down the field. He can run routs like a receiver, so you can put him in the slot and there's just so many things you can do with Donovan and he run a four point what a four to four of the.
Speaker 1: We're both Donovan Edwards fans here.
Speaker 12: Yeah, what where do you think he'll even be picked at? And do we have it? Do you think we'll have a viable option opportunity to get him or And then I was thinking off though about the only person I would draft at four would be Travis h Oner as a receiver, and and Graham only bench press twenty four reps and the guy that other Michigan guy only did twenty two. What does that m And then that's like the ten reps eleven less than what Donald did, Aaron Donald. So that's a big difference in strength. I mean, is that gonna?
Speaker 8: Is that?
Speaker 11: So that's my questions, guys, So thanks.
Speaker 1: Brat, thanks for the call. We're both Donavan Edwards guys. Yeah, good player. I think a ceiling is probably the fourth round.
Speaker 2: Fourth fifth round. I wouldn't say he's the only player in this draft that fits that role. He might be one of the better options on Day three, but like Cam scattabow similar, I wouldn't double up a tight end. To the other question too, If you want to get one project tight end, that's fine, But you know I've been big on this. They need their draft picks to play. Yeah, they need guys that are gonna make an impact, and you already have Hunter and Hooper, so you're gonna get two rookie tight ends on the field if they want to, like in the seventh round, take like a Gavin Bartholomew and that's the double dip whatever. But they should be fine in this draft taking one tight end.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love the tight end class. I'm really high on it. And when I did my mock draft, I was trying to talk myself into taking tight ends, you know, third fourth round, and I was just like, but, like, he's not gonna play, you know, realistically, especially at that position where typically it's it's a year one learning curve for a lot of tight ends making the jump from college to the NFL. There's has to do a lot more blocking and a lot more of the details in the NFL than they are in college and in receiving. I mean honestly, like they don't throw the tight ends in college. Like it's just all of it, Like all of it is different, you know, in a higher volume than in the college game. So if you envision a tight end in this offense and then you think about, okay, they're gonna have to earn playing time from two stable veteran guys and Hunter Henry and Austin Hooper who already have a rapport with the quarterback that have already played in this offense before. Like, it's just hard to get there. In my mind that that that guy would do it. So I took Mitchell Evans from Notre Dame in the fifth round of my of my mock a because of where he's gonna go, you know, early day three I think is a safe bet. And then B because he's coming off that a CL like maybe he is a couple of years removed from it and he's an even better player, you know, in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: So Michell Mitchell Evans, yeah.
Speaker 1: From No. Dame towards a twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I was just saying he played last year.
Speaker 1: No, he played last year, but you always have that like you're removed from the ACL, right.
Speaker 2: Okay, I was gonna say he played in the National Championship.
Speaker 5: Ye.
Speaker 2: No, I like Mitchell lobs and he can block. Yeah, so he's gonna be able to get on the field because he'd probably be their best blocking title.
Speaker 1: He'd probably be your third blocking tight end, third tight end as a rookie. Maybe get him into some goal line.
Speaker 2: That's kind of got stuff. That's kind of guy they should be looking for. Yeah, I honestly, if they want to double up a tight end Robb Utes, that's that's what you're doing. You take a developmental tight end, take a Mitchell No, you take like a Mitchell Evans or Terrence Ferguson or somebody early on day three, and then you take robb you utes later, who's going to be kind of a move fall back. But he can line up on the line of scrimmage, put his hand in the dirt and do all that if you need him too as well. That's how I would double up a tight end.
Speaker 1: All of a sudden, we got all these calls coming in.
Speaker 2: Great. If you a rapid rapid fire lightning round.
Speaker 1: Tyler's in Cincinnati. What's up Tyler lightning round?
Speaker 12: Guys.
Speaker 15: I just want to know if you guys had looked potentially like late round pick, maybe like Tommy Malott or Tommy Malow. He's a quarterback, former wide receiver from like Montana State. I was just wondering if you guys looked into him and all what your thoughts were for like a late round pick.
Speaker 1: Thanks, Yeah, I've heard of Tommy Merlow. I'll give you that.
Speaker 2: I mean, no, we're still chasing Edelman and he's an option quarterback at it's of success at the FCS level. It's played a little bit of wide rect. He's gonna be a late day three pick or UDFA and it's him, and is it ft Chisholm? Right, Yeah, like that who I think was a quarterback before more receiver he is a receiver.
Speaker 1: Is at one of the All Star games. I don't remember what, Yeah it was, but yeah, I've I saw him a little bit. I don't know if it was the Shriner, the Senior Bowl. I feel like he was at one of those games. I could be wrong, but yeah, I mean you know we're chasing Edelman.
Speaker 2: You're right, yeah, And I mean look bring him in as the udf A, see what happen. Sure, Like I'm not against.
Speaker 1: Those guys are theoretically with McDaniel's back, you know, in play Gunner Oshsky, Riley, Mccaeron Braxon, Barrios, Julian Edelman, Like those guys are all kind of back in play, right, you know? Yeah? Why why are you laughing.
Speaker 2: You know why I'm laughing?
Speaker 1: All right? Uh, Chet is in Philly. What's up? Chet?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 6: What's up?
Speaker 10: Guys.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you guys taking.
Speaker 1: The call, no problem.
Speaker 2: What are you doing good?
Speaker 4: Evan bick Fanny. I follow you on Twitter. You bring me a lot of my stuff. What I'll say is, first off, like I really appreciate that you guys don't do a lot of the gas lighting that we get from the regular radio, but you know, to actually talk football as much as you know, we're like we're going off about the whole mac Hollands thing and all of the lack of super high end depth. I'm happy that you guys actually realized and talked about already that like there's not gonna be a superstar guy that's gonna leave their good situation to try to come to this rebuilding team, and we're gonna actually have to build from the ground up. And now I will also say, like we still have a couple pieces that like we can probably take a couple of mid round flyers, like you know, all of those Trey Harris type guys, those around two round three type receivers, those Jaden Higgins guys in round two, round three, try to take a flyer on one of those and actually hope that, like you know, a couple of these young guys developed, like a lot of people aren't really talking about them. But when I watched him in the preseason last year, the guy that I would have thought would have got cut after the preseason, they stowed to quick Jackson away last year, and I was a really big fan of watching him in the preseason. I was the guy that caught the post from Joe Milton in the preseason, if you remember him, and they kept him around all year despite him being hurt and being like a small school prospect. So I'm very intrigued to how good he could be and maybe he might be that damnfield director. He has that kind of Calvin Ridley, and I don't know, if you notice the social media, his name is Quae rid He played Division two football from California University of PA and his nickname was quite ridd because people say he used to move like Calvin Ridley. So I don't know, I feel like maybe he could be one of those guys that might make a little splash as the person that nobody's really thinking about in this offense.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the college. I appreciate it, and I appreciate you guys following us and everything. I always say the same thing about guys like that, like, great if it happens. I'm not counting on it by any means, but yeah, look, I understand that some people think I give this take, and you know, I'm trying to carry water and things like that, but there's just a long way to go, and you and I are big draft guys. To us. The draft is a big thing, you know. You know, you add a lot of talent if you're good at it through the draft. And I understand that people Patriots Nation is probably a little bit skeptical about their ability to draft, especially outside the first round. You know, Christian Gonzales and Drake may were great picks, but they don't really have much to show out of those two classes outside of those two guys. So I get all of that, but I would just say, you know, let's wait until we overreact about the lack of weapons until after, you know, April twenty sixth, when the draft is over. Because if Travis Hunters on this football team, if Ted McMillan's on this football team, if Luther Burden's on this football team. It's gonna change how we feel about the team. And they're gonna take a receiver in the top one hundred. I feel confident saying that. I don't know if it'll be first round, third round, I don't know where, but they're gonna take a receiver and hopefully they take the right one right And I understand that that hasn't gone well for them. I totally do, but I just want to I don't want to get out over my skis. And Week one, you know, free agency, where are the weapons? They're neglecting the offense. And then in April, all of a sudden, you know, Travis Hunter is being presented on the field as their first round pick. We're all gonna look like morons. So just yeah, let's see what happened.
Speaker 2: Look, we can do you can do it all collectively, is what I'll tell people. Why aren't you talking about it, because, like you said, it's in process, and we even talked about earlier. We don't love that they missed out on DK Metcalf. If they don't have receivers to If they don't have receivers today, they're still not gonna have receivers on April twenty seventh. Addressing it on April twenty seventh is no different, right, It's it's even more so.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm with you. I think they'll ad somebody. Will it be enough? I don't know. But yeah, well, well I'm not gonna fault them for not drafting receivers before the draft. I'll talk about DK Metcalf because I think that was a missed opportunity, but I'm not gonna go further than that yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, we have these two last calls and we got to wrap it up, but just really quickly. I also have come to terms with the fact I guess that they might need proof of concept before they draw the DK Metcalf the Chris God And by proof of concept, you know, I go back to the Bills. I know. I know. Josh Allen, YadA, YadA, YadA, gold bye boy. Josh Allen in his second season goes ten and six, makes the playoffs. They they don't. I think. I don't think they won the playoff game, but they were in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Is that the other loss to the Ravens they.
Speaker 1: Lost in the wild card round? I believe, but don't quote me on that. The main point is that they're ten and six, they have proof of concept. Josh Allen turns a corner. He looks like a franchise quarterback. The next offseason they traded for Stefan Diggs. Yeah, right, and Stefan Diggs opted to go to Buffalo, like he said, Yes, I will go here because of Josh Allen and because of the program that they were already building in the contract. So sure, but that, yeah, goes hand in hand with everybody. If you build that, if you build it, they will come right. Yeah, So if they have a nice season next year, doesn't have to be ten and six in the playoffs. But let's say they're eight and nine.
Speaker 2: I think they might have sneaked in the playoffs for what you're talking.
Speaker 1: But let's say they're eight and nine and Drake May throws for four thousand yards and looks like an absolute dog. It is just a dude, right.
Speaker 2: With this defense, they should not go eight nine. I Drake May's thorn.
Speaker 1: For four Okay, But I'm just saying, just play on this, Okay, they Drake May has a great second season. Mike Rabel is what we think. Mike Rabel is as a head coach. They are building there on this upward trajectory. That then and maybe then you can draw the big fish at wide receiver. So it might not be this offseason, but maybe it's next offseason. And that's okay. That's the timeline. That's the timeline that they're on right now. Ryan is in Texas. What's up, Ryan? We got to be quick with these calls. What's up?
Speaker 14: Hey, Hey, guys, I'll try to make you quick here.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 14: Would you guys rather see Travis obviously, Travis Carter, Travis or Carter at number four if they're available, but would you rather see Tet at four in wait for Connolly or Erstree potentially trading back up into the first round with that third round pick that we have, or are you guys taking a tackle at four to kind of address the issues that we have on the left side of the line.
Speaker 1: Yeah? Thanks, Ryan, that seems to be the number one question. I think we're both in the same camp. We're taking Hunter Carter if they're.
Speaker 2: There, Yeah, Carter Hunter won two in that order.
Speaker 1: If they're not there, I think the Patriots will take Will Campbell. That's what I think they will do. But I would probably take a.
Speaker 2: Receiver there still you would take Ted McMillan.
Speaker 1: I probably.
Speaker 2: Well, No, we did this exercise earlier. You said you would take Campbell.
Speaker 1: I think they'll take Campbell.
Speaker 2: No, you said you would. We did, said you editor on the.
Speaker 1: Climb all over the place. Now I don't know.
Speaker 2: I said, you're on the clock. We're getting we did exact exercise. You're you personally are running the team. You're on the clock, Carter, I said, I'm both gone, there's no calls, okay.
Speaker 1: And you said Campbell. Okay, all right, you're right. I did say Campbell. I'll stick with Campbell.
Speaker 2: Okay, but what.
Speaker 1: I'd rather happen would obviously be to take a Kylie Travis Hunter and then trade back up into the first round. Yeah, but if that's not if that's not a scenario, Campbell Campbell, Okay, Okay, he did that exact exercise.
Speaker 2: I'm just making sure you're consistent. Yeah, I don't want people changing your opinion.
Speaker 1: Oh, they do it all the time.
Speaker 2: I know. I'm trying to help you out. I'm looking out for you.
Speaker 1: Okay. Ben is in Philly. What's up? Ben?
Speaker 8: Hey, guys, how are you good?
Speaker 1: How are you doing well.
Speaker 16: I'm just curious on your take. Do you think it is possible for the Patriots to develop a wide receiver at this point or is a player like Will Campbell just more dependable because of their development history.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for the call, Ben. This was something else that we talked about yesterday on PU that is starting to like, you know, I don't know if irritates the right word, but like I don't, I don't really understand what like their failure with Nikhil Harry or Taekwon Thoron has anything to do with Mike Rabel. Like, Mike Rabel is not here when those things happen. He was not the head coach, he was not the the What I think is the is the lead football czar in New England. Mike Rabel, like Mike able to not draft those guys, He did not coach those guys, and it has nothing to do with him.
Speaker 2: Well, Josh McDaniels was here for Nikhil Harry, sure.
Speaker 1: But my point being is just I'm not gonna hold Nikhil Harry, Taekwon Thorion, Aaron Dobson, Chad Jackson like I'm not gonna hold Hale pol Bethel Johnson. I'm not gonna hold those guys against Mike Rabel. I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'll say this, Todd Downing has never coached receivers before. Very experienced offensive coach, but he's never been hands on with receivers in that role. We'll see.
Speaker 1: It's variable. I'm I just until they burn me on a receiver and it fails.
Speaker 2: No, it's that's absolutely fair. It is a different group, but it's not a group. I guess it is, and it isn't. Rabel developed a j Brown who was down Downing wasn't the OC for that, right?
Speaker 1: That might have been Arthur Smith.
Speaker 2: How was Arthur Smith? Okay, So if Rabel has Downing hasn't McDaniels, there's a weird track record there because missed on guys like Harry, but also developed Jacoby Myers. So the track record for this group, if I'm with you, don't don't put it on the old group. This group that's in charge is a mixed track record of doing it. There's some hits, there's some missus. That's fair, so we'll see. I don't think your point's not wrong. But that also doesn't mean that they can develop.
Speaker 1: A guy if you want to go to Rabel's time in Tennessee. I know I've got a rap, But if you want to go to Rabel's time in Tennessee and hold that him accountable for those picks, I don't think. I think he was forced into trading aj Brown and yes, drafting Traylon Burks, but we both at the time were like, what are they doing?
Speaker 2: That was the birth of one of our favorite idioms. Yeah, the mystery box in the boat. Yeah, Traylon Burks was not the right pick there, he was not the boat. No, So we can hold him accountable for all of that. But I also am not going to.
Speaker 1: Hold nik kill Harry against him, Like I'm not going to say that this regime has an issue with developing receivers.
Speaker 2: But Josh McDaniels was here for kil Harry, I guess, but he was also here for Jacobe Myers, like it goes it it depends.
Speaker 1: I know, But like I just he was here as the offensive coordinator. We all know who was making the calls when he was here, Like, yeah, I mean, he wasn't the one making the picks.
Speaker 2: I don't think. My point is you can't say anything definitive about this group and it comes to wide receiverses, not enough evidence one way or the other.
Speaker 1: I don't have any confidence in what the Patriots should do at four overall, apparently, but Bridgetone does, and it's important to have. When you're on the road. With Bridgetones tires on your car, truck, suv, or minivan, you're riding on tires you can trust. Bridgetone tires are engineered to give you peace of mind so you can focus on enjoying the journey. So whether you're on your morning commute, a cross country road trip, or a relaxing Sunday drive, Bridgetone Tires will be with you wherever life's roads may lead. Bridgetone Solutions for your journey available now at Sullivan Tyre. Thanks so much for watching and for all the phone calls there at the end. We tried to hang on for as long as we could, but we gotta go. We'll be back next week right here, same time, same place for another Catch twenty two and unfiltered tomorrow. So we're still rolling here on Patriots dot com, so we'll see you guys then bye.
Speaker 2: Thank you for downloading this podcast, Subscribe on Apple, Google Play, and everywhere else you listen like the show, please rate and review us.
Speaker 8: Listener comments and ratings help keep us high on the podcast rankings so new listeners can find us.
Speaker 1: Be sure to check Patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts.