Speaker 1: Welcome in to Bears Weekly, powered by IGS Energy, by Chicago Bears Network Production. Bears Weekly is brought you by Advocate Healthcare, Athletico Physical, Apparently.
Speaker 2: C D.
Speaker 1: Gallaghy, Connie's Pizza, IGS Energy.
Speaker 3: And Meller Liked.
Speaker 1: Here are your hosts, Jeff Chiliac aka the Mayor of Bearsville, and his sidekick Tom the Surfmaster Thayer.
Speaker 4: And a pleasant today of everybody.
Speaker 5: Welcome in to another edition of Bears Weekly, headed towards the home debut of the twenty twenty four Bears and what will be a raucus welcome indeed for rookie quarterback Caleb Williams. I'm the rest of the Chicago Bears who worked in the rain today against the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 4: Here at Hawisaw.
Speaker 5: I'm Jeff Jonaiyak, my broadcast partner, super Bowl winning Bears guard Tom Thayrelong our special guest this week, an interview with Bears defensive end Daniel Hardy. Had such a terrific game along with Austin Booker in Buffalo, but now it's moving on to Cincinnati. Joe Burrows guys practice today with the Bears. They'll meet on Saturday night. At Soldier Field in the ESPN studio spending the Dallas to night Kendrick Smith thanks to our producers Dan Brilly and Jordan Tredap from the Bears, and the executive producer of the Bears Radio Network is Eric Ostrowski. Tom Thair joining us now, Big Tom practice with the Bengals just like we did as kids.
Speaker 4: When we played in the park in the rain. It was nice.
Speaker 5: And you know, pouring, but you know, a little slipping slide here and now in again, but overall, got some good work in.
Speaker 6: Today, a lot of good work.
Speaker 3: The atmosphere was a good working atmosphere. The conditions worth the perfect. But again, every time you get a chance to go up against an NFL player, I think you have a chance for an improvement.
Speaker 6: And then the defensive front that they are.
Speaker 3: Facing against the Cincinnati Bengals was much more beneficial because they've been playing against their own front since the beginning of OTA's mini camp and training camp.
Speaker 5: All right, what is the first thing you learned about what you saw out there today? It's hard to digest everything. We said this one of the Miami Dolphins. We said it a long time ago. When the Bears practice with the Rams at Western Illinois. Remember we're up in the the what do you call those things?
Speaker 4: The lift?
Speaker 5: Who was the Rams with the head coach that was here in the offense Mike Martz. Mike Martz and the guys, it's hard to digest everything.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, the thing about it is, you don't want them to be able to have everything digested before you face them. You want to have a guy like Caleb Williams, a young quarterback that's seeing personnel, athleticism, different lineup of defense for the first time in something you're not necessarily prepared for. Because now you're putting into practice the work that you put in during the course of meetings, and you have to reconfirm the information you learned about your offense can fit according to the defense you're seeing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I'm just I'm just saying I had. You know, your eyes take you everywhere. You want to watch the number one offense against the number one defense of the Bengals, but you want to watch the defense of the Bears against Joe Burrow, and it's it's hard to take your eyes away.
Speaker 4: You know what it is, It's honestly hard to take your eyes.
Speaker 5: Away from Caleb Williams in the offense to see what they're doing. But I did manage a few snaps with Jason McKee out there on the practice field today, and Jalen Johnson just keeps making plays, the defense keeps making plays, the linebackers keeps swiping the football. I mean another one today by Tremaine Edmunds. So and that's against it. You know, a very very good quarterback. They're an established quarterback.
Speaker 3: And Joe Burrow today, Yeah, but he's facing eleven strong on the Bears first team defense, and so he's got to be saying in meetings tonight, boy, the Bears can really play fast, aggressive back seven defense, and they're complimented by good rushes up front.
Speaker 6: So I think depending.
Speaker 3: Upon where you're having your conversation in the meeting room with Cincinnati or in the me with the Bears, is kind of the same thing. Because I mentioned Caleb Williams being able to enact his system and the players that are involved without a lot of preparation time.
Speaker 5: Also, good day, I thought for Rome at Doonesday. All right, we've been waiting to find out what's going to happen on Saturday at noon at Soldier field.
Speaker 4: In terms of the Bears starters, here.
Speaker 5: Is a chunks of today's news conference with head coach Matt Eberflus.
Speaker 7: In terms of the starters this week. You know, I'm just going to say this.
Speaker 8: We feel really good about our plan and the process that we've been through so far in training camp, and you will see the starters in that game, you know. So again, I talked about competitive reps the other day, and I feel like we've gotten a lot of good competitive reps, you know, on ones, a lot of good situations. This day was another chance for us to get competitive reps against another opponent, another skill set which was outstanding. And then this week coming up on Saturday, we get another chance to get some reps there too, So we feel really good about that. It was great to be out there in the weather today for really everybody, just because of the ball. You know that you have to handle the ball differently and the wet, you know, and it was it was wet out there. It was a pretty good rain at times. But not only that, it's also the footwork. You know, the footwork matters. You got to keep your feet under your frame. You got to make sure that you're doing a good job with your footwork, you know, in terms of planning, driving, moving in that wet condition.
Speaker 7: So I thought that was a good experience too for really everybody.
Speaker 9: How has Nate Davis look since you get back out to practice and you were different talking about a player that's been out for a while with injuries with us as you have been maybe in three years with him, Do you think he was that used to get a message through to him?
Speaker 7: I will just say this about date.
Speaker 8: You know, he's uh, he's been working to get back and he's done that and it's unfortunate that he's had those injuries that he's had in his time here, but again he's worked every time to get back and when he was back, he did a nice job in there. So again that's a competition. We're looking at that for who the best inside players are for us. That's not solidified yet at center or at that one guard position. You know, we feel really good about TeV at that one spot. So we'll see where that goes going through this week and moving into the next week.
Speaker 9: What do you think Beats will be back out there?
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's weak to week right now, so I don't really know.
Speaker 8: I hope I'm hopeful that it's soon, you know, so I hope we'll you know, we'll see Matt with.
Speaker 10: Daylas going from I think with two's earlier in the week and get some one reps today.
Speaker 9: What has he shown you to earn those starters reps?
Speaker 8: Just toughness, you know, and he's he's able to handle that position.
Speaker 7: You know, you would think that, hey, I'm a receiver and then going.
Speaker 8: Back to you know, to the tight or the half back spot is uh, you got to have some toughness in there, and he does. And he's able to get the reads down and he's slowly getting it. You know, it's not easy to learn how to run the outside zone and the you know, the inside duo play and all the players that everybody runs in the league. That takes some time. And then really about the protections, you know, he's learning that. I know he was up here talking about that, but he's getting those two might sound silly.
Speaker 2: But as with every opportunity you've given them, he seems to.
Speaker 7: You said Austin, You said Booker.
Speaker 11: Austin Booker, it seems with every opportunity to find his way to make an impact in some way. Does that make you want to see him out there possibly against the Ones this Sunday, so him get some run versus the Ones today, maybe just to see Okay, you've.
Speaker 2: Shown it verse the two, shown it versus three. Let's see what he can do.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think he. I think he's earned that.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 8: We got to talk about that as a staff, you know, but we definitely, uh, you know.
Speaker 7: Rotate those players who we see as.
Speaker 8: The rush group, you know, so you're rotating at least six of those guys during the course of a game if you if you have eight up er you know, active for the game. And uh, you know, he's really shown well in terms of that. He's like I said, he's a natural rusher, real instinctual, does it predetermined prior.
Speaker 7: To and you saw that today.
Speaker 8: Again He's got some guys just have natural slip and be able to turn the corner.
Speaker 7: You know, He's got that.
Speaker 8: And so he's you know, improving and the most important thing he has is motor. You know, he throws his fastball every play and that's what a good d lineman does.
Speaker 10: Next step for last week, you said the operation awareness in the pocket for Caleb. What's the next step you want to see from him this week.
Speaker 8: Just much of the same really, Like I said, he's going against a different structure here, So I think that just you know, much of the same and improving and doing the basics of quarterbacking. And I think that he did that last week at a solid rate. You know, there's a couple of things with the footwork under center and those types of things where he's got to improve, and he's worked on those this week. But really much of the same and just a level it up, you know, as we go through these weeks.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 5: Matt Abraflu's portion of his news conference with the media up here at Hall, I saw I got a couple of notes, Tommy, one about Booker because that was one of the last things you talk about. Just you know, what you're noticing as much as the power and the overall width and size and length of Javon Dexter. But when they loop Booker inside, he's wiry. He does have a long reach. He gets his hands very close to not only tapping the ball down but intercepting the ball, which happened in practice today with Joe Burrow.
Speaker 3: Right, But he keeps himself separating from the blocker. He never allows a guy to get his hands on him purely where that makes it that strong offensive lineman is in control of his upper body. And so when you look at a guy like Austin Booker when he's rushing from the edge or he's working a stunt on the inside, he's very elusive and he's really difficult for an offensive lineman to commit to him because he can slap your hands away, make him miss and get into the path of the quarterback.
Speaker 5: And we're certainly excited about hearing the starters are going to play. How much we'll know when it actually happens. Yeah, so we'll be looking forward to that.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm glad they're gonna play, And I'm glad they know this beforehand because it changes your mentality a little bit, getting ready to go to the stadium on Saturday, knowing, Okay, when I put my uniform on, I am going to get out there and get some valuable reps.
Speaker 4: Only bummer today fans could be here.
Speaker 5: The weather was not conducive for that kind in the fear that lightning would cause a delay. In practice, everybody have to get indoors at the Peyton Center. The place is just not big enough to hold everybody, So there could be something that works though to get fans out here next week. All right, that's Tom there, I'm Jeff Joniac. When we come back, we'll be joined by another pass rusher of notes, especially pairing with Austin Booker, and then win over Buffalo. Daniel Hardy joined us on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Bears Weekly with a voice of the Bears for twenty three years, Jeff Jonyak on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to Bears Weekly on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network. We're brought to you by IGS Energy with Tom Thayer Jeff Joniac. Tom will rejoin us in just a moment, but please to be joined by defensive end Daniel Hardy, the Bears third year player out of Montana State.
Speaker 4: Wonderful performance in Buffalo.
Speaker 5: I mean you talk about a tandem attack with you and Austin book A way to go. That was a wonderful experience to watch two pass rushers get after it.
Speaker 4: Identical stat line. I don't know if you know that.
Speaker 5: Really, Yes, you guys had the exact You had five tackles each, two and a half sacks, each same number of tackle for losses. So you guys as a pair did some damage.
Speaker 13: Hey man, that's what we're all about as a D line man, just wreckon shop.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 5: And how did you guys play off of each other? Because that's also something that defensive ends. When you're really cranking, you guys can play off each other even though you're on the opposite sides.
Speaker 13: Oh, absolutely, Especially you know the energy aspect of it, you know, kind of is everybody second preseason game. You know, everybody's still trying to make sure you don't mess up. And it was just we got two point in the game where some of the vets came in and they said, you make sure you guys are celebrating, man, make sure you're loving each other up. And so we really made an emphasis of that and we just started feeding off each other's energy and it just kept building and building and building. It not just me and Book, but you know, the whole D line as a whole, and just playing as a team, rushing fours one and getting out of the queue.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll tell you.
Speaker 5: Watching Hard Knocks last night, ebra Flus was miked up and he kept asking for a takeaway and he wanted points out to take away, and sure enough, the pressure breaks pipes and Mica of Baskerville comes up with a pick six.
Speaker 4: Sat a mile away almost got too excited when.
Speaker 5: I was calling it because I could have called it before they even got in his hands. But they married together, obviously, and that's what will be the mark of this football team in the big picture. How do you feel that's coming along as a unit?
Speaker 13: It's I mean, we're building every day. Yeah, you can never be perfect, but that's what we're striving for, and we're getting better and better every day, and we continue even you know, even when the season starts, that's still going to be the same thing. We talk about that a lot of just every day coming out and trying to be better, better than we were yesterday, and just keep taking steps forward. And that's that's what wins championships, that's what wins super Bowls, and so that's you know, that's our emphasis, and that's the direction we're gonna keep going in.
Speaker 4: No easy way to get to the NFL is there.
Speaker 5: I Mean, what I always do when I prepare for preseason games, I always take note of the guys that have.
Speaker 4: A long time to get here.
Speaker 5: There's a guy on the Bengals and I can't recall his name right now. He's been cut ten times, but he's still going after it. He was in the United Football League, and so when you're undrafted and you come into the league, it is extremely difficult. You were drafted by the Rams in the seventh round. That matters that you were a draft pick.
Speaker 4: There's a certain.
Speaker 5: Attachment to that, but it's no guarantee. As you found out. Do you appreciate the guys that have been doing it a lot longer than you, that are still trying to make a roster, a fifty three man roster.
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 13: Absolutely, I mean there's nothing more devastating then, you know, coming out here and there's nobody who comes out here and doesn't give it their all, and you're trying to, you know, make the team, and then things just don't end up shaking your way. You know, it might be a numbers thing. It might be because you know you weren't quite you know, you didn't do everything right, but you know, nothing but respect for everybody who comes out here and who's laying it all out there and giving it everything they have. So but yeah, no, definitely those guys who and you know, thugging it out for years and years and years trying to make a team.
Speaker 12: You know, a lot of respect for them.
Speaker 4: And that is the hard thing about hard knocks.
Speaker 5: I mean, people seem to enjoy seeing behind the scenes, but when it gets later in the episodes, somebody's gonna get called to come to the office and that is a very very hard personal moment that does not go well. Typically it's hard to accept, but uh, you know, and I I don't know if you've been ever cut before, but it's a it's an awful feeling for for a guy trying to get to the NFL, isn't it absolutely?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 13: And everybody says football is what you do and not who you are. But you know, when you've been doing it for as long as some guys have been, it becomes it's a piece of you. Like it's not just a you're not just out here doing this for fun. It's a part of your soul.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 12: You put your your blood, sweat and tears.
Speaker 13: Into this thing, and not making a team can really look it just enjoys some people. Yeah, it'll mess you up. So but you know where all warriors were, all fighter and so especially, and that's why it's so just like I said, it's you have so much respect for guys who have been, you know, still trying for years and years and years to make the team because they're not taking no for an answer, and you know, and they're not backing down from anything, and they're picking themselves up when they fall, and and so you know, you just got to keep keep your head down and keep pushing.
Speaker 5: Daniel Hardy our guest here on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network. So you came to the Bears after the cuts and the practice squad. So the benefits of being here and now for the entire offseason as it made you understand the defense better, get them a better idea of who they're dealing with here and what you're all about, not just as a football player, but as a man, your character and so forth.
Speaker 4: Is it making a difference.
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 13: Absolutely, And I feel like, you know, even more importantly than the playbook and understanding the defenses, understanding the culture. We talk about our hits principle, the hustle, intensity, the ball and smart and understanding that culture and how it plays into every single aspect of our game is very important and it gives you the ability to buy in because you know, yeah, I don't know about you, but it's a lot easier to play hard when you care about what you're playing for, you know what I mean?
Speaker 12: Sure, And you know, getting to know the.
Speaker 13: Guys and developing relationships with coaches and staff and all of that so very important. And you know, I've enjoyed every minute of my time here.
Speaker 4: How about Travis Smith again? Second season with him?
Speaker 5: Has he unlocked anything that previous coaches haven't unlocked with you?
Speaker 13: Really, it's just just talking about mindset and understanding. You know, you come to work every day and things might not you know, always go your way, but you got to be the same person every day and you got to, you know, just figure out what works for you and what isn't and then you got to make those changes.
Speaker 12: Trave doesn't. And that's the other thing.
Speaker 13: Trav don't miss a single detail. If you mess up one thing, he's not gonna let us slid because he doesn't want you to develop bad habits.
Speaker 12: So he's going to be right on it right there.
Speaker 13: So you know, excellent D line coaching doesn't want anything but the best for all of these guys.
Speaker 5: You know what impresses me about coaches. And I've been a part of this organization for twenty eight years, so I've seen a lot what you just said. You know, they notice the slightest thing with a hand placement, your footwork, whatever the way you get off the line of scrimmage, where your pad level is. But it's in an instant of time before they even watch the tape. Then the tape clarifies what they saw at that coaching moment. Do you have a lot of respect for that too, because you got to have your eyes trained as a coach to notice even the slightest little things that can make you a better player.
Speaker 12: Absolutely.
Speaker 13: And then what's even more impressive is that, you know, especially with guys like Drive, he's not just doing it for one position.
Speaker 12: He's got four.
Speaker 13: Yeah, pretty much that well, defensive ends are kind of the same, but the two interior positions are a little bit different. Yeah, And he's doing it for all of them, and he can coach every single last one of them. And and just like you said, you know, understanding those the minute details of every single position and the nuances that come with that and being able to you know, help develop somebody you know from their rookie season. You know guys who just coming in and then also working with guys vets like you know, DeMarcus Walker, Jacob Martin, uh, Montes Sweat. You know, guys who've already been doing this and being able to work with both different types of players.
Speaker 12: Is it, you know? Phenomenal?
Speaker 5: All right, So let's get to your story a little bit. Beaverton, Oregon home a Nike right, yep, Nike. I remember going out there. It's in the Nike store there, the big one, the big one on campus. Uh, you go to Montana State, you're drafted by the Rams. But prior to that, you know the college route. I can't even pronounce the name. I know it's in Weed, California, believe or not?
Speaker 4: Is it Siskus scuse CISQ.
Speaker 5: CISQ's the college of this Never heard of this college in my life.
Speaker 4: I thought I seen them all.
Speaker 5: Uh it's a community college named after a mountain range along the California Oregon border.
Speaker 4: Do I have it right?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 5: So I did my homework. Why there and what did it do for you to get to Montana State?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 13: Really it was uh honestly, it was kind of a it was the only option I had, Wow, because I you know, I didn't play football until my senior senior year of high school. Also, was really trying to I was paying my own way through college. Was really trying to pick up a scholarship, you know, any.
Speaker 12: Way I could.
Speaker 13: And you know, Portland State wasn't too interested. Some D two schools, around D three schools weren't interested.
Speaker 12: Around the area was you know, and.
Speaker 13: Really they you know, by the grace of God, the coach just happened to be in town that day recruiting somebody else and he heard I was available and stopped by the school and we sat down and we talked, and you know, it was affordable enough for me to be able to play, work and go to school there. So that was the That was the route I took. And it was also you know, it wasn't too far away from home. It was also dealing with some family stuff at the time, so didn't want to be across the country or anything like that. So it was really just a ended up being a the perfect spot for me in that situation.
Speaker 4: So what was your sport prior to football?
Speaker 12: Basketball?
Speaker 5: Okay, basketball, So there here comes the forty inch vertical I get that right. So how much weight did you play at in basketball and what'd you have to do to get it?
Speaker 13: I was I didn't even I wasn't even checking my weight at that time, but I know I was definitely below one ninety Oh my.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So you put a good fifty pounds on since then.
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Wow, wow? Are you a big weight room guy? Do you like the weight room? I do?
Speaker 13: I love it, And that's kind of your you know, when you've been doing this for long enough, and certain guys, different guys are different, but it kind of becomes your your sanctuary, and when you get in the room, it's like everything else kind of washes away and the only thing that matters is you and the weight on that bar.
Speaker 5: So you shined at your pro day. You weren't invited to the combine? Were you two forty when you're in a four to six? And do you still hold that speed? Because that's pretty good. That's pretty good right there for a man your size.
Speaker 13: Absolutely, honestly. I mean I haven't timed it, but I think I might be even a little bit faster. You know, these NFL weight rooms, they'll do something for you.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, you never have to run another forty, right unless somebody challenges Yeah, one of eight children, which got nine.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, got that now. But p ford w g H. You gotta tell me what that's all about me.
Speaker 13: That stands for play for Wilbert gil Hardy. And that was my father. He had cancer started, he got it. It was diagnosed my junior year or sophomore year high school, and passed away my freshman year at college. And so I started writing that on my cleats, all my towels, all my stuff. So, you know, just as a constant reminder to me is you know, this is is why I'm doing this.
Speaker 12: Before he passed away, I let him know that I'd be there to take.
Speaker 13: Care of my you know, my mom and my younger sister because I was, you know, one of the big thing things he was worried about. And so you know, when things get hard, you know, that's kind of the things that I you know, reflect on and and and use his motivation.
Speaker 5: I read that he's described as a humble spiritual leader in Portland, uh, in the African American community. So he was at the pulpit given sermons. What kind of a sermon was he given? It's when you say dynamic, I'm thinking it's loud and kind of crazy, Uh, in a good way.
Speaker 12: Oh, absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 13: It any given Sunday, it could it could be anything, you know, but you know, it was always his message was always trying to bring people to God.
Speaker 12: And no matter who was there, you were in the right place.
Speaker 13: As long as you were there, you were hearing the message, you were you were in the right place.
Speaker 12: That was the slogan wed.
Speaker 13: You know, he'd always say it, and he'd have the church say, you know, Highland, you're in the right place. And so, you know, he was always trying to especially his big thing, his big focus was the youth because you know, kids, more than you know anyone you know, need to get to know God and and and that was the path he tried to lay out. And and he was really a staple in the community and it honestly probably hasn't even been the same without him.
Speaker 12: So, you know, major loss, but he's in everybody's hearts.
Speaker 5: What would he be thinking now, knowing that you've made it to the National Football League, you're with the charter franchise the National Football League. The very first one, George hallis stature sitting out front and and you've made the most of your opportunity to get yourself in a position and that's all you can ask for it to be in the right place.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So what would he think? And are you in the right place?
Speaker 13: I think he would think so, in my opinion, the Bears do things the right way in terms of like you know, like we talked about with the culture and things like that, and you know, I also would like to think that he'd be proud of the work ethic and the things that, you know, all the effort that I put into to get to where I am. You know, as everybody knows, there's no easy way, Like like we talked about, there's no easy.
Speaker 12: Way to do this.
Speaker 13: So really putting your head down and dealing with the struggles of everything and trying to handle all that. I like to think I make him proud And hopefully this season we can make him even more proud of well.
Speaker 5: I hope you'll be here quarterback wrecker at Montana State sixteen and a half sacks that one year that puts you on the NFL radar?
Speaker 4: Are you stacking good days?
Speaker 5: Do you feel good about where you're at right now in terms of what you can show here as.
Speaker 4: A pass rusher.
Speaker 13: You know, I never try and be complacent. Yeah, there's always there's alway stuff that you can improve on. You know, I had a two and a half sack game the other day. But you know, if I do everything right and I get certain plays back that I could do over again, it would probably be more than that. So it's like you have to be able to, you know, give your self credit and feel good about where you are. But you you know, constant, constant progression because you know, the second you say I got it figured out, that's when you get punched in the mouth, you know what I mean. So just you know, constant progression, keep getting better every every single day.
Speaker 5: Well, against the Bengals on Saturday, I don't know who. Their play doesn't sound like they're gonna play starters, but they got a bunch of six eight tackles on the depth chart. I mean, I've seen more six eight guys. I'm checking to see if they're true six eight or not. Some are so I'm not But a guy at six y' one plus, you.
Speaker 4: Got a leverage advantage, don't you.
Speaker 13: Absolutely yeah, I mean that's kind of great. You got built in built in pad level yes, yes, but you know those you got to use your your strengths where you.
Speaker 5: Can't so because once they get your hands on you at that length, it becomes a little challenging, right.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, So we won't let that right. Hey, you're a joy to talk to.
Speaker 5: Really enjoyed your performance last week and keep stacking them. Appreciate your time back with Tom theair with more here on ESPN one thousand and the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: This is ESPN Chicago, w NVP WTBC h D two Chicago, a Good Karma Brands radio station. Is Bear's Weekly with a voice of the Bears for twenty three years Jeff Joni on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 5: This day, The Bear's Weekly is brought to you by Athletical Physical Therapy. Visit Athletic dot com to requested in clinic or virtual appointment at Start Feelings Better Tomorrow. Jeff and Tom Bengals were at Hallis Hall today practicing dodging rain drops. At times it would pour out there and unfortunately Tom a couple of injuries for the Bengals. Don't know the severity of each, but both needed air casts to and get carried off and one was on kick return. The former Michigan running back Chris Evans and then one of their backup tackles, Deontay Smith, had an issue as well.
Speaker 4: And you know, it's it's not it's in it.
Speaker 5: It's sometimes these things are gonna happen no matter where you practice against whatever. But it's just, you know, you feel bad. All the players are gathered around from both teams feeling bad. They get carted off here as they flew into do these joint practices, but it was slick and things happen.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Yeah, it's super unfortunate, you know. I hate the fact that guys get hurt. But again, it's kind of the mantra of the NFL. It's the next man up mentality. And so if you do have a guy in front of you get injured and you're gonna get some extra reps or extra playing time, first of all, are you in shape in order to pick up those extra reps? Are you mentally in shape to you know, give the team what they're giving you in the meeting rooms.
Speaker 6: That transfers to the field.
Speaker 3: But injuries, I always feel bad for the guys, whether throughout my career or some of the young guys I see now one of.
Speaker 4: The guys we've been impressed with.
Speaker 5: I know because as we've talked about him a great length and every time he takes the podium or visits with me on side conversation, whoever is Kevin bayerd Tom, I think he's gonna have a big impact here. Let's listen to him at the podium today, talking about the proceedings with the Bengals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was fun.
Speaker 14: Obviously, a lot of rain out there today kind of favorites the defense a little bit, but it was exciting. Obviously I played against Joe Burrow you know a lot over the years. I know how good of a quarterback he is. So anytime you get a chance to go up against him and kind of test out some of the things we're doing coverage wise, that can kind of confuse him a little bit.
Speaker 2: It's always fun.
Speaker 14: But I feel like the defense brought a lot of energy, got some takeaways, got three turnovers, So that's always like the gold of the day to get three turnovers. So pretty happy with what we've done and what we did today. We'll watch the film and just get better from the stuff that we need.
Speaker 4: To get better at.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean just kind of trying to disguise the coverage a little bit and kind of really just read a quarterback's eyes kind of took me towards the ball. Just one of those things you don't really think, you just kind of react and was able to stretch out, go get the ball, get up, go pick six. And Uh, I said it was fun, Like you said, the defense, we had a lot of fun today. I want to be the guy that gets a lot of turners for this defense as we brought me here for. So I want to keep that going.
Speaker 15: Kevin, I know you got your own responsibilities, need to given coverage, but playing with Jalen Johnson does that allow you to play with a little bit more freedom, maybe take some chance the other way than you would if you didn't have such a league corner on one side.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I played with a lot of good corners over the years, Malcolm Butler being one.
Speaker 14: You know, I had a guy Logan Ryan, Dori Jackson, a lot of guys, but Jalen's definitely, Uh, he's up there with the best ones I've ever played with.
Speaker 2: He's He's a true shutdown.
Speaker 14: Corner, a guy that when it's a lot of different coverages is the way we're doing things. Like if I see on a guy can just leave alone and talk to the other stations on the other side the field, like, hey, we can maybe push the coverage because I know he's not giving up anything. So he's a special player. Uh, and you know, I've really been enjoying playing with him so far.
Speaker 4: Where is the weather that's really coming down out there?
Speaker 1: For a while?
Speaker 4: Were you good?
Speaker 8: Did you guys know going in that you would hang out there unless it was late in or.
Speaker 4: What you know? What was Kennedy direction?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I know, which had like contingency plan depending on you know, how bad the weather would get if we would go to the the watcher Payton, I'm always a big per to one. I don't want to be on turf at all I can avoid it. So I kept preaching out there, like stay out here, let's just stay out here because grass is always better for players and just.
Speaker 2: In my opinion. But yeah, I mean a little bit of rain don't hurt anybody.
Speaker 12: Was that fun like playing in the rain, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's cool.
Speaker 14: It was kind of like remember the Titans type practice training camp deal.
Speaker 2: We was out just making jokes on the sideline, you know what I mean. It was fun.
Speaker 15: Defensive looks pretty good throughout being player, off season and close.
Speaker 4: Do you think you guys are just waiting already?
Speaker 2: I'm ready to play now. Honestly.
Speaker 14: I know we have a you know, a couple more preseason games to go, and always things we can get better at. But I'm more than excited, you know, for this group and ready to go out there and put our brand of football on tape.
Speaker 2: You know, the the high level football we played so far.
Speaker 14: Uh, it's really to be expected on my end, just watching us day and day in and day out going to work. So we just have to keep it going, make sure guys stay healthy, get everybody back. We still have a couple guys we need to get back and just keep working. But like so, I'm excited for this group.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 9: He's gonna getting guys back. It's gonna take some time for you and Jakwan to be out there together to there's some of the minor communication things that could be major on any given play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 14: I know he's close, but he's in meetings every day. We're still talking. On the back end, he's been in this defense longer than me so honestly, there's still some things that we're meetings and he's helping me out with.
Speaker 2: But like you said, you do need, you know, time.
Speaker 14: Together to get back out there, get the communication and everything going. But I mean, you know, one guy's not in there, it's another opportunity for another guy. And Elijah Hicks has been playing this behind off. I really like him. I know he's an undrafted guy a couple of years ago. He has that chip on his shoulder and you could just see it out there. But if it's special teams of defense, and that's what I keep telling him. You know, you know Jakwanum obviously he's gonna come back, But every opportunity you get to come out here and go ahead and show your brand of football, show your physicality.
Speaker 2: I've been enjoying watching him so far too.
Speaker 4: I get you excited to play football, Tommy.
Speaker 3: You know Kevin Byron, he's a pros pro and you can hear a lot what comes out of his mouth. You know, he talks about, you know, having a guy like Jalen Johnson next to him and he's familiar with playing with a great cornerback and then he understands what his responsibilities are and sometimes how he can take advantage of spacing because of the corner that he's playing next to. Then you talk about him being ready to let's go play. It's time for the season. Listen, man, it's gonna be an eighteen game season, and it's going to be a limited preseason. When you hear a veteran talk like that, you know that the amount of time that they've been on the practice field, he's ready to start the regular season.
Speaker 6: Let's get this thing going.
Speaker 3: The one thing I did disagree with him at the very beginning of his presser, I always thought in rainy conditions, the offense.
Speaker 6: Had the advantage.
Speaker 3: Interesting because we know where we're going, we know what our next step is gonna be, we know where we're anticipating you to.
Speaker 6: Be according to the flow of the play.
Speaker 3: We know how to get under balance as we're getting into a sharp cut or possibly turning a corner.
Speaker 6: And then he said he feels the advantages in the defense.
Speaker 3: I would like to have a lengthier conversation too with him about that, because when he said that, and I heard him this afternoon and had his presser, I was kind of shocked that, you know, he believed that the defense had the advantage. When I sit here on the offensive side of the ball, and I think the offense has the advantage.
Speaker 4: Well, maybe it's by position.
Speaker 5: Maybe, And he's coming downhill with a head of steam and he's just going linear at somebody.
Speaker 4: Maybe he thinks that would be interesting.
Speaker 3: Well, just to amplify that or just a little a little bit. Keenan Allen is such a premier route runner and it's hard to anticipate what type of routes he's gonna run. And now if you're overthinking it as a defensive back and you think, Okay, I'm gonna predetermined position where Keenan's gonna go, and all of a sudden he's a head fake and cuts inside or vice versa. And now you're jumping into that position, trying to staff your cleats the heel or your cleats in the ground to make that adjustment feet slip, you're on the ground completion.
Speaker 5: There you go, Yeah, that exactly happened. He did a little head bob and bam ran an expert route. I say, he's got a doctorate and route running and a back shoulder fade from Caleb Williams right on the money. Uh, there there were a bunch of guys slipping early. And I think you go back to coach Eberflus when we started the show talking about how you have to play with the feet under you, and you you always have been somebody who who is thinking the same way, whether we're playing in icy conditions, if you're playing in snow or over the years you've said, hey, make sure you do your job in terms of getting the right cleats. Ask Tony Medlin what you need to get the job done and somehow play under your pads, stay balanced And is that easier said than done Tommy, No.
Speaker 3: It's pretty difficult because you're always trying to play the game fast no matter what position you play. Like you just brought up maybe a defensive back season different than an offensive lineman. Offensive lineman, I break the huddle, I know the snap count. I know that I should react quicker than you as a defensive lineman, and when you try to react to me, and if I have a good stabilizing hands inside punch on you, I should be in control of your body. But the different types of surfaces that you play on nowadays, and if you are playing outdoors under icy or rainy conditions. You better be aware of what is your most confident footwear to wear on that game day.
Speaker 5: You could tell how excited he was though playing too, because he's had plenty of battles with Joe Burrow and the AFC, and so I'm sure he would have been looking forward to playing him on Saturday. But no starters or most of the starters not expected to play for Zach Taylor's Bengals, but Buyer, his interception was terrific, a diving stats football and a really really nice play. All Right, we're gonna take another break. When we come back, we'll hear from Tom his Tom Thoughts segment. There's always good. He's got good ones here on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network, This.
Speaker 1: Is Bears Weekly with a Voice of the Bears for twenty three years, Jeff Tonyaik on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 5: Bears Fans one unforgettable access to see the Chicago Bears play at Soldier Field this season. VIP Official Ticket Package is now available for every home game. Unlock access to exclusive ticket packages that may include entry to in stadium hospitality lounges, pregame satelline credentials, and the Chicago City Pass. Visit Chicago Bears vip dot com are called eight sixty six two o two fifty seven to fifty five. For more info again at Chicago Bears vip dot com are called eight six six two oh two fifty seven to fifty five. Don't miss this exclusive opportunity with Chicago Bears VIP. Jeff and Tom with you on Bears Weekly. Tom's thoughts, What.
Speaker 4: Do you got?
Speaker 3: You know, Jeff, So, I was thinking about a group of guys. I'm gonna say all of them together and then tell you why, Matt Pryor Coleman, Shelton, Jerome Carvin, and then I look at your guy that Daniel Hardy, I look at carls Jones Junior, I look at Elijah Hicks, and I look at Ian Wheeler.
Speaker 6: So you think about injuries during the course of the training.
Speaker 3: Camp, and we talk about how unfortunate they are, whether it happened in today's practice by Cincinnati or guys that just get some type of injury that keeps them out of action. And then what does that person behind them do that's in line? Do they impress the coaches and realize that maybe they have a Diamond and a rough and these guys have the ability to possibly make the final roster. A guy like Coleman Shelton, because of the injury to Ryan Bates and the injury to Nate Davis, may end up being the starting center for this football team because he's taken advantage of quality reps. Today when you see him in one on ones against the Cincinnati Bengals, when you really don't have a lot of information fed to you by who you're going to be practicing against, he went out there and played the position of center, and he did it with strength, and he did it with confidence. And I think when you look at what he needs to offer this offense, maybe he is the starting center because of injuries and hiccups in front of him. And then you look at a guy like Jerome Carbon number sixty three. We didn't know a lot about him coming here. He's got a big body, he's got a template of an offensive alignment. Where does his versatility carry him? He can play center, he can play offensive guard. He's an intelligent guy, he's a good athlete. So now all of a sudden he's on the radar of being able to make this football team, just like Daniel Hardy because when you think about him, you know there is an injury in front of him. To Jacob Martin, now who's the next man up in that line? It's Daniel Hardy and look at the production that he's put on two game fields already. And Kevin Bayer talk about Elijah Hicks when you have Jakwan Brisker out of the lineup for as long as he's been. Yeah, Elijah Hicks has some experience with this football team. But what do you do when you're running with the number ones? Do you play like a number one? Or do you play with those coaches thinking Okay, who's going to be next in line here? And Elijah Hicks has answered the bell. So that's the one thing about training camp and every one of us throughout our career, we're going to be faced with that opportunity. Where are you when that opportunity comes can spell the life of your career. And so just just a group of guys. There's more out there, but those are just a group of guys that come to mind that have gotten extra reps because of injuries in front of them, and the coaches have really done a nice job of getting them mentally and physically prepared.
Speaker 5: Now you mentioned Ian Wheeler took a great advantage of his opportunity obviously with the two touchdowns in Buffalo today, running hard as usual did on kick return, that was an interesting exercise as well because of that ball. Both teams had some if issues holding out of the ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, and I think that's gonna be what's gonna plague a lot of these teams through the initial experimental stages in the regular season because now, well, okay, we're used to seeing the great returners of the history of the NFL, because the return was what it was for one hundred plus years. Now there's different types of kickoffs, they different hang times, they have different blocking in front of them.
Speaker 6: You gotta read it more immediate, you know.
Speaker 3: The thing about it is the old time kickoffs, you would sit there and catch a four point zero hangtime kick and then you would have blocks that were set twenty yards in front of you. Now you're catching the kick and the blocks are right there in front of you. And so the eye contact, the eye process, the thinking of where the point of attack is that's predetermined in the huddle call. There's so many issues that are facing the kickoff and kickoff return game. And I really don't think that we're gonna be interesting. We're gonna be introduced to the interesting concept of this new play until the regular season.
Speaker 5: Am I correct? A muff is going to be more dangerous? Correct, Because what you just said is this true? I mean a muff you don't have as much time to regroup.
Speaker 3: We saw two in this past week's game, and Buffalo Buffalo had one and Valis had one. So also, now you're scrambling to make sure you control the football, and then how if someone gets beat immediately and they're attempted block. Now you're trying to be a creator, and those guys coming down to chase you are equally as good as what they're challenged with than what you are. So uh, it's I still think and I'm still excited about it. I think when the regular season gets here, it's gonna be awesome.
Speaker 4: That's down there. I'm Jeff Jonniyac. One segment to go.
Speaker 5: When we come back, we'll here some of cole kmet the veteran tight end at the podium today after practice with the Bengals. This is ESPN one thousand and the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: ECUs Bears Weekly with a Force of the Bears for twenty we here on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 5: This segment of Bears Weekly brought to you by CDW people who get it. Jeff and Town wrapping things up Cole Kmet practicing against the Bengals and to play them on Saturday at Soldier Field.
Speaker 10: Buffalo runs a similar type of defense to what we got with front wise, and but you know with with the Bengals here run with that three down just a good to give us a different look and we'll see plenty of three down teams throughout the season, So I think that's good for us up front in terms of how we're identifying things in the run game, pass game, for protection purposes. So you know, we were it was a quick turnaround to Cincinnati. It sounds like we do a ton of prep on them going into this week. But it's always good to see different looks and you know, kind of get that situation to learn from that. So you kind of get today and then you know, you get another day with the game on Saturday, they get to kind of get that working over set three down front. So I'm always good to see a little different things and obviously against the different personnels is a good thing for us to.
Speaker 5: Not does have success and Caleb like impresses in his first hyman, do you guys get excited to to see what the next step looks like?
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Yeah, absolutely, it was cool to see him do his thing out there, and you know, when those lights came on, you can see the competitive side of him really come out, So that that was really cool to see. And you know, as as he's phone and as that juice is going on the field, you know, you kind of forget that it's a preseason game and you know you're just kind of having fun.
Speaker 2: Out there playing with them. So really cool to see.
Speaker 10: And obviously, you know we got to continue making steps here, and you know, we got to be able to put put six on.
Speaker 2: The board instead of field goals in those situations.
Speaker 10: But you know, I've liked that, Like I said, I liked the progress we've made so far, and you know, I still think we got a little bit of waste to go, but definitely in our way to being ready for Week one.
Speaker 5: And you know, he also was asked about Caleb compared to other quarterbacks he's played with, and he goes Yeah, he is different. He's different, and he just left it at that. We're gonna see how different as the season goes on. But we've seen a lot of highlights so far and a lot more to come to. Tommy final thoughts before we kicked off at noon, what do you want to see?
Speaker 4: Give me three things quick. We only have about fifty seconds.
Speaker 3: You know, I just want to see a repeat performance by Caleb, maybe a couple of extra reps to keep on that positive building with this offense that he's had. I want to see the defense play as aggressively as they did and as it doesn't come from Hardy and Austin Booker again. If it does, so be it. And then you know, you.
Speaker 6: Know, red zone.
Speaker 3: If they get in the red zone, like Cole said, we need to see six. Can't be satisfied with three, and you'll be happy to know I saw both episodes of Hard Docs know a little bit more about the Bears after I've seen them.
Speaker 4: Oh, you buried the lead, time, you buried the lead.
Speaker 5: We're out of time for Dan Burrilly Jordan tread Up, Kender Smith and thanks to our guests as well. Bears Weekly on the new Radio, the Home with the Chicago Bears. We appreciate you listening Black get them data or next.
Speaker 1: Good night, everybody, thank you for listening to the Chicago Bears Network presentation. The Bears Weekly hoasted by the Mara Bears, Bill, juliad and Surfmaster Tom Thayer. Podcasts are available on the Chicago Bears Official Ad brought to you by Verizon and Apple Podcasts. Bears Weekly has been brought to you by Miller Lite