Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend, our global look at the top stories in the coming week from our Daybreak anchors all around the world. Straight Ahead on the program, we look ahead to some key inflation data in the US and how they may affect FED policy moving forward. I'm Nathan Hager in Washington.
Speaker 3: I'm Caroline Hepke in London, where we're examining the extent of Europe's energy crisis with earnings in focus.
Speaker 4: I'm Doug Krisner, looking ahead to next week's rate decision from the Reserve Bank of Australia.
Speaker 1: That's all straight ahead on Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend on Bloomberg eleven three YEO New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one, Washington, DC, Bloomberg ninety two nine, Boston, DAB Digital Radio, London, Syrias, XM one twenty one, and around the world on Bloomberg Radio, dot Com and the Bloomberg Business App.
Speaker 2: Good day to you. I'm Nathan Hager. We begin today's program with some key inflation data in the US. The Consumer Price Index for July comes out Wednesday, followed by producer Prices on Thursday, plus a read on how consumers may be dealing with higher prices when we get retail sales for the month of July. On Friday, for more on what we can expect from all this data, we were joined by Bloomberg new senior strategist Edward Harrison, of course, the author of the Everything Risk newsletter. Great to see on the weekend, ed thanks for coming in. So what's the risk that price pressures pick up in July?
Speaker 5: That is a good question. I think the risk that they pick up is not what's currently discounted by the market. The market is thinking that we had inflation of two point six percent and that inflation will fall to two point five percent going forward. This is the core number that I'm talking about now. The broader number is going to be above three percent, but the Federal Reserve generally looks at the core number because that gives them a sense of where the overall trend is going.
Speaker 2: So, where do we see price pressures continuing right now? And are we still on the disinflationary track even if we don't see changes to Fed policy.
Speaker 5: I would say that we're not on the disinflationary track, and that is the problem for the Federal Reserve that we've stopped disinflating. That is, inflation is not going down further, it's and and potentially it's rising more. And part of the reason is is because when you look at numbers like services, I think a lot of people look at something called super core services. Both for the number that's used for personal income and expenditures that's the PCE number, and then this number that we're going to see this week later on, both of those numbers, those super core numbers are higher than the baseline number. And what it says is that even if you look at core, you're not looking at a number that is reflective of some of the percolating inflationary symptoms that are in the economy.
Speaker 2: So what's keeping those services numbers higher? And is there anything that Fed policy can do to bring them back down? Are you saying that there is a risk that we could start to see the FED think about invoking policy to get some of those prices back to where they want them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we definitely could. I think we're seeing definitely financial services as part of that. Healthcare is another part of that. Generally speaking, what we're seeing is if supercore services is well above three percent three point eight percent, actually using the PCE version that says that at its core numbers that geopolitical risk has nothing to do with are high, and therefore the Fed might have to go against that. We saw last week, however, on Friday, that when the jobs numbers came out, they were relatively poor. That is, the non farm payroll number was down, the unemployment number was lower, which is good, but it was just enough to make people think that the Fed will not raise interest rates at its next meeting, nor is it completely priced in for the meeting after that either.
Speaker 2: As you mentioned, with those jobs numbers, it does seem as though the market is giving the Fed a little bit of a breathing room when it comes to policy. But if we see a pretty elevated inflation number, does that change the forecast? I mean, is there a possibility that we could see those numbers come in a little bit hotter. Definitely, we could see that.
Speaker 5: And one of the things that's behind that is Kevin Wortsz is the new Federal Reserve chairman, and he's been saying, we don't want you to look at what we're doing and what you think we're gonna do. We want you to look at the numbers and come up with your own thinking about that, And what that ultimately means is every single time that we get a data print, the market will be more volatile in terms of reacting to that specific number then it was in the past, because we're getting less information from the Federal Reserve about what they're going to do, that less forward guidance from the Federal Reserve. So if that number comes in hot, as you say, Nathan, then I think that the markets will react negatively.
Speaker 2: Of course, we saw some reporting this past week that the Chairman is keeping open the possibility of hiking interest rates if inflation prints do come in too hot after the relative lack of guidance that we got at the last FED meeting, is there a chance that we could see the Fed lean toward a hike just to get back some of that market credibility.
Speaker 5: Well, potentially. However, the jobs number that we saw last week took a lot of the impetus out of that move, because now the market's not even pricing it. If the market's not pricing it, then the Fed may not do it as a result of that. It's hard to say, because we're in a new regime.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: But if the Fed does not raise rates in September, then suddenly you're in a situation where October, which is right before an election, is the potentially the first time that you're going to raise interest rates. So legitimately September is probably a better time just from a purely practical stance, given that Donald Trump is a vocal FED critic, but it's hard to say how the Fed is thinking about that.
Speaker 2: I really appreciate this set again, Thanks so much for coming on with us on the weekend. That is Edward Harrison, senior strategist for Bloomberg News and the author of the Everything Risk newsletter. Let's take a look now at some stocks making news in the week ahead. I'm Nathan Hager, joined by Bloomberg News reporter Judy LaGrue, and the earning story continues well right away on Monday when we hear from Him's and hers after the closing bell. I mean, it feels like healthcare earnings have been going pretty good so far this season. Does that include telehealth, Judy?
Speaker 6: Do you know tell my health is having a really interesting sort of season with this earning season. But Hyms and Hers, I think is certainly a space to watch for a lot of investors. The company is be EPs estimate six of the last ten quarters. It's you know, really seen a lot of growth recently, however, that growth is kind of slowing down right now. So reported subscriber growth was about thirty five percent for sixteen straight quarters, but for the last two quarters growth has been nine percent and about thirteen percent perspectively. So I think what a lot of investors are really looking at is how Hymns ticker HIMS is responding to that slowing growth. So stock movement is also an interesting space to watch. The stock is down about nine percent this quarter alone, so definitely for investors looking to see Hymns and Hers earnings results and then how that stock will respond to the growth and report.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting, Judy. Ahead of this earnings we heard Hymns announce a new app with a doctor led AI native experience. I think anytime anybody hears the letters AI, their ears start to burg out.
Speaker 6: That's right, that's right, Nathan, And I think for Hymns and Hers, certainly trying to really push the envelope with respect to getting their consumers to stick with them, I think is certainly paramount for the company. One item as of note is that there was an FTC or is an FTC rather lawsuit against his and Hers. The plaintiffs are FTC Utah and Los Angeles County, and the lawsuit is alleging that Hymns and Hers has misled customers into locking themselves into recurring subscriptions and that the company has shared private information with Meta and Snap despite saying that they were protective of customer privacy. So definitely, you know, I think investors will want to know what the company has to say about this. Certainly, the company has come out to say that the FTC lawsuit disregards substantial evidence, So look for analyst questions on that. Look for stock moves based on what management says about this. I really think it's a space to watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nobody likes illegal overhang over any company. The earning story continues on Tuesday and other tech name reporting in core Weave after Tuesday's close, putting a focus back on AI infrastructure after all the concerns about hyper scale spending.
Speaker 6: That's correct, Earnings from core Weave tick r cr WV will show whether enormous EI demand can outweigh the heavy cost of data centers and debt. Right, So the company is expected to report its highest revenue since their IPO in twenty twenty five. It's sort of Wall Street is expecting two point five billion in revenue this quarter, so you know, really looking at really how core Weave is managing that. And I think that Bloomberg Intelligence analysts really hit the new on the head that satan when they wrote that core Weave's second quarter earnings will signal to investors whether AI demand remains stronger than their share price implies, and they excited that they feel like the share price is underperforming, so they'll be looking at revenue specifically for their earnings, and Bloomberg Intelligence really believes that the revenue for Kreweve for the quarter could exceed guidance.
Speaker 2: Now, that would be a pretty big turnaround at a time when, as you know, Corewave's kind of missed more often than not when it comes to earnings. Is the bar pretty high then for core Weave to outperform this time around?
Speaker 6: I mean you're right about that, Nathan. The company has missed EPs estimates four times out of the last five quarters. So yes, definitely looking at that, looking at revenue, looking at EPs, and really understanding from management, and again the earnings call and comments are really going to be big here where they see the company going. Analysts, on the other hand, are quite bullish. Twenty nine buys eleven holds three cells. So again we'll be listening to that earning call quite closely.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, we're also going to be listening, I think, to earnings from Kava they report on Tuesday as well. Is this one affected do you think by the produce scare that we've seen in fast food as opposed to fast casual.
Speaker 6: I mean, certainly anybody who touches lettuce is having a rough summer, I will say that. So, yes, we focusing on ticker c a VA. That's right, And so for analysts, the earnings for Kava Group really need to show that customer traffic, restaurant profits, and new store growth is remaining strong despite these headwinds we're seeing, right with the cyclospara, the parasite, and really understanding exactly what kind of slow down the company is seeing as a result of all of the headlines about food safety. In general, the stock is up around thirteen percent this year, but down about eleven percent this month, and when we put that in comparison to names like Shakeshack, which is up about thirty percent this month, Dominoes, which is up about seventeen percent this month. Really, Kava, I think it could represent in many respects close to the epicenter of this issue with cyclospora, as it pertains to let us and produce as it gets served in fast casual settings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh so, we'll be watching for those hungry for the earnings. Thank you, Judy, Judy LaGrue of Bloomberg News with stocks to watch, Judy, thank you for this. Coming up on Bloomberg day Break weekend, we'll examine the extent of Europe's latest energy crisis. I'm Nathan Hager, and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg day Break Weekend, our global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm Nathan Hager in Washington. Up later in the program will look to a monetary policy decision from the Reserve Bank of Australia. But first, in the coming days, we hear from some of Europe's biggest energy companies about their recent performance as reserves drop to new lows and geopolitical unrest drives up prices. How are the major players responding, let's head to London and bring in Bloomberg daybreak, europe banker Caroline hepger Nathan.
Speaker 3: European gas storage levels have fallen to their lowest for this time of year in almost two decades, after the war in the Middle East drove up prices and stalled winter stockpiling. The situation has left governments with a growing dilemma as colder weather approaches. At the start of this month, European Union inventories were only just about fifty seven percent full. Meanwhile, prices are still about eighty percent above pre war levels and remain higher than winter contracts, leaving little incentive for hoarding the fuel. And extreme temperatures are also a factor. A series of blossering heat waves in the region has weakened some of the most historically reliable sources of electricity, forcing more dependence on imported fossil fuels and variable renewable energy frances. Rather cooled nuclear power plants have suffered a recuid amount of heat related outages. Emi Ashford is head of Energy Structure, It's standard chartered bank, and says that the sector is facing a particularly pertinent combination of challenges now.
Speaker 7: Whether it's always mattered to the energy complex. It influences fuel demand, but increasingly extreme heat and drought affect refiners' ability to produce fuels efficiently, so we have simultaneous raising of demand and constraint in supply. Each individual effect is relatively small, but when you combine them, that amplifies pressure, and we've particularly seen that on middle distillert cracks and boosting of refinery margins over the summer month at the ice Ga Brent crack that reflects European diesel pushed over seventy five dollars at the end of July, a near twenty year high, and there is still further upside possible there if conditions worsen. And Europe is a particularly interesting case for this because most European refineries were designed decades ago for significantly cooler climates. And the limiting factor isn't the dis column itself, but it's the cooling systems. As we see ambient temperatures increasing, air coolers become less effective. Cooling water sources like you mentioned, such as the rivers, they warm, so they remove less heat, and there's an increasing risk of refiners breaching water discharge temperature limits. And we have operational safety limits which we can reduce runs taking processing units offline.
Speaker 3: That was Emily Ashford from Standard Chartered there speaking to Bimberg's Lizzie Burden and Anna Edwards. So this is the backdrop for earnings from utilities Eon and RWE and the wind ter buying manufacturer Vestas that will get in the next few days. Do mean now for more is Bloomberg's Brussels Buia chief Suzan Lynch and our energy reporter Aim and Fauhat Suzan. The energy crisis is affecting much of the European continent. What has the response been like in Brussels.
Speaker 8: Well, I think since the outset of the war in Iran, European officials have been keen to stress that this is not the same as a crisis that engulfed the European Union back in twenty twenty two, following the full scale invasion by Russia of Ukraine. Then we saw that big energy spike. Things have not gone as high as we have then. One reason the EU officials are keen to stress is that Europe has diversified its supply. Now it's not directly dependent on the Middle East for energy imports. For example, it is more dependent on places like the US Norway, although of course it is indirectly impacted by what's happening in the Straitform moves and around that region.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as you say, perhaps not too comparable to twenty twenty two when Russia first invaded Ukraine. That was towards the end of the COVID nineteen pandemic, wasn't it. But then lay of that with the war in Iran. And there are some issues, aren't there for the EU to deal with? I mean, how do you think this place into diplomacy between the EU and the US given this pressure.
Speaker 8: Well, as part of the EU US trade deal that was signed around a year ago between Arsena underlyon the head of the European Commission, and Donald Trump at his golf course in Scotland, a big part of that was a commitment by Europe to buy around seven hundred and fifty billion worth of US energy. Now we do know that the Europeans have been buying a lot of LNG from the US. Now, whether it's going to hit those figures, how you measure that, that's a whole other question. But that is certainly the case, and even in some quarters there's been talked about, is the European Union building up dependency. It's just got a rid of one dependency for Russia, and here it is kind of opening up potentially your dependency with the US at a time when of course relations between the US and Europe are at low. It has to be seen. But look, I'm not downplaying the issue here for the European Union. The reality is that, you know, the EU storage facilities have come to LNG. The gas are very very low. It's around fifty seven percent full. That's been the lowest in records going back to around two thousand and nine. And we have seen these LNG imports have been dropping since April because of the disruption and supply. Now again the European Union is saying, you know, not time to panic yet. It believes that fresh import will offset and those lower levels of storage. But undoubtedly it is an issue now as we get into the winter months.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's already starts to turn even though it's August. You can feel that the daylight hours are becoming shorter in the UK at least. Really interesting, Suzan, thank you so much. Yeah, for those thoughts then about Europe. How Europe can try to ameliorate the energy situation after well a series of crises really in overlaying crises. Thank you amen. Let me turn to you then in terms of this well what i'll call a multi layered problem, a recurring problem of energy for Europe. What do you think there is about this particular moment that is so very difficult for the European energy market.
Speaker 9: I mean, I think this, as we always say this, a lot of it is about weather. I mean, we've had now this extreme heat this summer. Definitely some of it's predictable, you know, it's always hot in the summer, but it has been quite prolonged, and just now all these companies and all these different markets will be thinking about getting ready for winter. And when you have that kind of that winter looming with what's happening this summer, with lots of energy supplies being used up because of cooling demand, but also lots of issues with calling nuclear actors, meaning we have to use more call and gas apply. You know, it puts everyone in a bit of a difficult position going into the coming months as we prepare for those colder months ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Suzanne was just mentioning though it's not really a crisis that you can compare to the invasion of Ukraine when that sensed such a shock across Europe in terms of the scale of this problem. Give us some idea of how you're thinking about it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, you're right, I think very quickly we start trying to draw those parallels, and we're not in the same position as we were back then. That being said, we are starting to see some i'd say warning signs. For example, when we look at some of the energy futures energy prices, they are going up to levels that we haven't seen since winter twenty twenty two. I think you're a sorry about Italy actually this week, which is very gas dependent, which just so one of their prices go up to the highest since December twenty twenty two, which is quite shocking. But we always say when it comes to again to winter, which is really where these effects are felt, it only takes, you know, a very cold snap, a difficult month to very quickly be in I'm not going to see the same position, but in a very similar position as we were back then. So although you're right, we're not there yet, everyone is very aware that that could change very quickly depending on the months ahead.
Speaker 3: So how are energy providers dealing with that situation? And as you say, are they therefore passing those price pressures onto consumers?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean when it comes to wholesale markets, as I said, the prices have been elevated because of the the around war, they are elevated because of the extreme heat this summer and also because of gas storage issues. Those prices do get passed on to consumers through their bills in different mechanisms in different countries. It has to be said that Europe has learned obviously since the last time. We've built a lot more resilience, whether that be expanding renewble energy, that be just kind of getting smarter about how we run our gread at different times. That's something that everyone is thinking about. But you know, again with renewable energy, there are lots of things that can affect that, whether there's less wind for a period of time, So it still creates vulnerabilities and there's no kind of golden bullet, but it's just about trying to mitigate every ventrality that could lead to those difficult times.
Speaker 3: Okay, in the next few days, we've got earnings from some major companies, utilities, businesses in Europe from Eon, our we also vest us. What are we expecting in terms of Eon and RWE earnings and will some of these themes be evident in their reports?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, I think these these companies operate across different parts of the energy landscape. I mean, Eon, they do lots in the grid space, and grids have been really important this summer as far as resilience goes, making sure that energy can be kind of brought from different parts of the country. So it's very much going to be kind of an investment picture there about you know, the whole story we've been having about upgrading grids, being able to carry that wind energy from the north to the south in Germany, et cetera. I think Our we similar. They're obviously a bit more, a bit more impacted in the kind of renewable spaces. They're also building their own projects in different jurisdictions, you know, bidding for products in the UK and elsewhere, So for them it'll also be about that investment picture. We have had a difficult few years for offshore wind, something that we keep talking about, and those cost pressures are still there. But at the same time, you know, when energy prices go up elsewhere because of geopolitical things, wind does start becoming more interesting as well. So there's kind of an investment case there to think about and see how these companies react to that.
Speaker 3: What about VESTA US again with the exposure to the US, so that's been in focus in the past.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean the US has been a difficult market for offshore win recently because of the actions of Trump there. That being said, Vestas has already kind of done a lot of what they have to do there as far as kind of pulling back. They'll be focusing on other projects. And again it's again that investment picture about where they start putting their capital next. They know, they've also been looking at the different kinds of kind of M and A and stuff like that. But I think it's important also to note that although when we talk about the US and kind of renewables more generally someonoys we talk about being kind of a difficult environment, there are still opportunities there in all these companies. When I talk to them about the US market, they're still very interested. They're still looking at projects there. So there are still opportunities there for these firms.
Speaker 3: Okay, in terms of the EU. Suzanne talked a lot about the different meetings that are taking place about how at a policy level that EU tries to deal with this. I mean, what is your take on that As you focus a lot on businesses, investment and companies, what's their perspective on how Europe is managing, as I say, a kind of recurring issue around energy.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, I think it's interesting because this has happened now a few times recently. It says this is a recurring issue, and it does seem like the from a policy perspective, things do seem quite slow. It's all about you know, building more alt renewable energy, you know, getting this kind of resilience, but that doesn't feed through to consumers so quickly. Consumers are kind of all businesses as well are seeing that difficulty in the coming kind of three months, you know, the coming six months, whilst the plans to kind of reach these big net zero goals and not be dependent on gas are more like three to five year time horizons. So that's something that I think is difficult because you know it will pay off at some point, but the payoff isn't soon enough, and people are feeling the pain that I guess you can say they have learned from what it happened twenty twenty two, and there are kind of shorter term solutions, but at the end of the day, it's more about building that kind of system resilience which takes longer, which only feeds through after a while, and hoping that populations kind of you know, battle through that difficult period for the time being.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dealing with voted dissatisfaction about something that affects them, you know, at the sharp end. So much, Aimon, thank you so much for being with me. My thanks to Bloomberg's Aiman Farhat and also to Suzanne Lynch. And we will bring you full coverage of the earnings film vestas Ian andr We in the coming week across Bloomberg platforms. I'm Caroline Hepgar Here in London. You can catch us every weekday morning for Bloomberg Daybreak you at beginning at six am in London, that's one am on Wall Street.
Speaker 2: Nathan, Thanks Caroline, and coming up on Bloomberg day Break weekend, we look to a raat decision from the Reserve Bank of Australia. I'm Nathan Hager, and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg day Break weekend, our global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm Nathan Hager in Washington. This week we get a rate decision from the RBA, the Reserve Bank of Australia. For a preview, let's get to Doug Prisner, host of the Bloomberg Daybreak Asia podcast.
Speaker 4: Thanks Nathan. The Reserve Bank of Australia raised its policy rate at each of the bank's first three meetings of the year. Now in June, policymakers held steady To help us understand the current dynamics of the Australian economy and what the RBA may do next. I'm joined by Bloomberg economist James McIntyre, who covers Australia and New Zealand. James joins from our studios in Sydney. Thank you so much for being here. Can we begin by setting the stage with the story on inflation. I believe the latest reading was a bit cooler than expected. Help me understand what's going on.
Speaker 10: So what we had was we got the June data and that also gave us the quarterly data and Australia is still in this bit of a situation. Where we've got a new monthly CPI and that's slowly gradually taking over from the quarterly which the RBA looked at, and whether it's the monthly or the quarterly number, at the end of the day that the latest figures that we got were a little bit softer than the market, but more importantly a little bit softer than what the RBA was expecting. They raised rates at their May meeting and put out a set of updated projections, which is the basis for why they wanted to raise rates, and inflation has come in not as hot, and so the three rate hikes that the RBA delivered over the course of this year to try and help slay that inflation dragon, well, it turns out that the dragon, at least in the data so far, isn't as big as the Central Bank had initially thought.
Speaker 4: When you look at the work that you do and trying to understand the various data points, do you think this is a durable trend will at last?
Speaker 10: It's always an evolving picture. And one of the pieces of the puzzle that's evolving increasingly that might help things endure and last on the inflation front is the housing market downturn. And the consumer and domestic demand side of the economy. It's what we've said since those rate hikes, and we've had not just those rate hikes, but we've had the shock from the conflict with Iran, and then some policy changes around the taxation of property in the recent federal budget, and the three of those factors have combined to deliver pretty sharp downturn in the housing market, where people buyers have really pulled back and are sitting on their hands.
Speaker 4: So, if there has been this contraction in consumers spending, what do you think it's going to take to reverse that? Is the recipe here necessarily lower interest rates or does something else have to change? Do you think we do have.
Speaker 10: A situation where the labor market is not generating enough jobs That we did have strong jobs in the most recent month, but if we take a bit of a longer arc over the year, we do have a softening of labor market capacity. It might not, especially for the property market and where the fears are for consumers right now, it might not be that rate cuts and necessary. It could be that we could see a little bit of a stabilization within that. If there was a signal from the RBA that they're likely to be on hold from here. That would be a big relief to households and could be something that could help catch what is currently a bit of a downturn and help stave that off. But it's unlikely that the RBA is going to be doing that with inflation where it is. Inflation has been weaker than expected, but it's still above their target, and so they're likely to sound a little bit hawkish we think at this August meeting, but softening their tone perhaps over the meetings to come towards the end of the year.
Speaker 4: Not a day goes by when there is not major news as it relates to artificial intelligence. And I was reading a piece that you sent. This is concerning the RBA's chief economist, Sarah Hunter, who was warning that data center boom maybe adding to pressures in the construction industry by essentially taking workers away from other projects. Talk to me a little bit about that and the level of skilled labor that is available to tackle these kind of construction projects.
Speaker 10: So Australia has a very big infrastructure boom in one of the second largest state and also in the largest state in New South Wales, but in Victoria, there is a major infrastructure boom as they roll out a lot of civil construction for infrastructure in that state, and that's something that has been a challenge for the residential construction sector in order to get enough skilled trades people to build the homes that are needed for the migration story in the population picture or the strong population growth that Australia tends to have thanks to migration. So we need the housing, we need the construction workers for that.
Speaker 2: We've got a very big.
Speaker 10: Infrastructure construction boom around transport infrastructure. We're just putting the finishing touches on a second airport for Sydney and a lot of infrastructure around that. So the construction sector is operating at capacity. And then when we think about that picture, then there is this very large positive demand shock into the economy from AI and the construction of the data centers, and so this is something that is it's catching the Reserve Bank's i quite obviously and quite importantly because you know hyperscalers. If we look at what's been happening with the price of be It processing chips and then memory chips, the price of the iPhone is going to go up because the hyperscalers are bidding up for all of these scarce resources from the chip makers.
Speaker 4: So broadly speaking, would you say that the build out that we're seeing in Australia of these AI data centers is that a positive for overall GDP?
Speaker 10: It is in the construction sense, but we do see a lot of this GDP the data center boom, if you want to call it that. There's two elements. There's the machines that you put into the data center, and there's the building of the data center. The building that's a boom for the economy, the machines that go in, or that boom just goes straight out the import side of the GDP calculation. That's a boom that's made in South Korea, that's made in Taiwan, And if we look at our balance of payments and our trade figures on a monthly basis, you can definitely see that that's where that side of the boom is showing up. But on the construction side, yes, it's definitely something that is delivering an extra boost to GDP and that's a positive in the overall picture for the economy, given that that housing downturn, the three rate hikes that's seeing some of the softness coming through on the consumer side of things.
Speaker 4: You mentioned the softness of the housing market a moment ago, and I'm wondering whether or not there is a positive side to that story, something that we need to tease out a little bit more, especially where the issue of affordability comes into play.
Speaker 10: For a long time there has been significant challenges and a lot of hand ringing and concern by policymakers about how to address the affordability challenge within the housing sector. House prices are easing back a touch, interest rates are high. High interest rates don't help audability, But we do have a situation of house prices coming off slightly, inflation continuing to rise, wages continuing to rise as well, so real house prices are in decline, real wages are gradually creeping higher. There is a positive there that once we do get some potential clear signs that the inflation challenge is over and that dragon slightly smaller dragon is actually slain, and the Reserve Bank can think about normalizing monitory policy and bringing it back from where it is back towards a more neutral setting, that we will see that it will become quite clear that this maybe has set up some of the perhaps early next year or in twenty twenty eight, has set up some of the most beneficial or positive housing affordability conditions that Australians might have seen in the last ten, fifteen, or maybe even twenty years.
Speaker 4: You mentioned the immigration issue a moment ago, and I'm trying to get a sense of what's happening in that dynamic right now and whether or not the government believes that it's important to kind of control the flow of migrants coming into the country, or whether there is the realization that in order for the economy to expand further, that an influx of migrants is really necessary.
Speaker 10: Well, Doug, Look, this is a key tension point within the economy and also within within domestic politics. The migration story has been part of what's kept Australia's economy growing over the last couple of years. Per capita GDP growth this week, and we've had cost of living pressures that's been a kind of a cover for what's gone on within the economy in terms of living standards not really moving anywhere GDP per capita being in recession and flatlining for some point in time, and that's a different scenario to what voters and the community expects and has been used to over our history, and it's sort of natural that people gravitate towards, you know, people that are offering or at least calling out not what they're feeling, and so Australia does have that challenge. Politically, there is the emergence of a group similar to what we've seen with the MAGA and then UK Reform within the One Nation Party within Australia having quite a big anti immigration type stance, and that has been their polling has really risen quite quite a bit and putting a lot of pressure on the government and the main opposition party around what to do about limiting migration in the sense that that being something that has captured people's imaginations as a possible solution. Now, really, when we think about Australia and Australia's economy continues to have such abundant opportunities ahead of it, and we do need labor to come in and help us unlock some of those potential and possibilities. But what we haven't seen and over the last couple of years, is we haven't seen the benefit of improvements in living standards coming along with the growth in the economy, and so you know that's where this party has come up and the support for around this anti migration story has really come through. There are some signs though that if we do get an improvement in living standards and a pick from improved productivity growth as the government's roll out of or the funding for big social programs by the government is curtailed somewhat freeing up some room for the private sector it potentially through the productivity enhancing benefits coming through from the AI Data Center boom, and then the economy economic opportunities that might evolve after that. These are things that will come over time in the pipeline, but for the moment, it is delivering this significant pressure on migration, and so we have seen that the government put in a lot of policies to try and wind that back. There haven't been seeing much signs of success at the headline level, but we're seeing some signs coming through in some of the more high frequency data, especially around student visas and the like, that some of the pressure might be coming off soon.
Speaker 4: So as we wrap up, I just want to get back to the RBA meeting just to underscore the fact that the latest reading on inflation was on the soft side. We hear, or I hear at any rate, the fact that the labor market is stable at best. There are some problems that are maybe being addressed. Do we have any guidance right now, at least from what the markets are seeing the money markets, in particular on what the RBA may do at the next meeting.
Speaker 10: Market expectations for the RBA have been dialed back a bit over the last especially following that inflation data. There's still an indication that markets are expecting perhaps a little bit more tightening, but a full hike not being fully priced in right now. But the situation is one where is a full rate hok is not priced in right now by markets. So there's still I guess, dipping the toe in the water or lukewarm support for further tightening with markets not expecting that the RBA is going to be easing back anytime soon.
Speaker 4: We really covered a lot of ground and I appreciate it so much. Bloomberg economist did James McIntyre helping us understand what's happening on the ground in Australia. James covers the economies of Australia and New Zealand for Bloomberg Intelligence. Joining from our studios in Sydney, I'm Doug Chrisner. You can catch us weekdays for the Daybreak Asia podcast. It's available wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: Nathan, Thanks Doug, and that does it for this edition of Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend. Join us again Monday morning at five am Wall Street Time for the latest DOUN, markets overseas and the news you need to start your day. I'm Nathan Hager. Stay with us. Top stories and global business headlines are coming up right now.