Speaker 1: M M.
Speaker 2: Fun year for the Rais And we're talking to Craig Kimball right now, raise reliever joining us back on FT. Thank you so much for doing this, Craig, great to have you on. How's life dude, How are you liking the rays right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the weather down here in Florida is nice.
Speaker 3: It's nice and hot, but it's nice to be back in the trot, you know, just kind of thinking about what they did last year outside down here in this weather. It's uh, seems nice, nice and happy to be back in this trump canfield.
Speaker 4: When you're walking in, when you're walking in, because you probably have a close spot at the trot because it goes on service time. We've talked about that. But when you're walking in and you got get a little armpit sweat and you're like, I'm getting chest sweat too, do you think about that? Is that like your thought, like I'm glad we are not outside?
Speaker 3: No, absolutely, every day, just get in, get in, getting the ac and get going. You know, he still gets way going inside, but it's it's nothing like being outside in the summertime in Florida for sure.
Speaker 5: I mean, are you.
Speaker 4: Still throwing the rod and are you still throwing the rod in the water a little bit, though, Like you can handle this.
Speaker 3: You know, since I've been down there, I haven't. I haven't yet. I did a lot of fishing in spring training. But uh, you know, they gotta worry about my job right now. I can't be ripping lips too much right now.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well that's all I was gonna ask you. How focused do you need to be on your job? And I got so many different ways to go about that because a lot of times you see veterans and they're like, WRONGM good, Like I know exactly what I need to do. How much do you at the focus and stay away from like the other things that kind of get in the way.
Speaker 3: I think, I think a lot of a lot of times that all depends on where you are, you know they're there. There are times physically and mentally you show up and you're like, I can feel like I can pick.
Speaker 1: Up the ball and go out there and do my job and and not think about it too much. And then there's other times where you're like.
Speaker 3: You know, I need to hone something in a little bit and I need to practice something a little bit more, you know, let it be focused I need to shift my focus a little bit more towards, you know, my daily.
Speaker 1: Routine if it's something's changed.
Speaker 3: But anytime you get a chance to step away and fish or golf or do anything like that, that can be actually something to be very good. Just kind of get your mind off of it at times because we got such a long season. But I'm just saying right now and in my progress coming off the il and getting back on the field, it's definitely more on getting back to my routine than it is taking care of my hobbies.
Speaker 5: How hard is.
Speaker 4: That as a veteran guy thinking about anytime you're on IO when you were younger compared to now. Because we just talked about ver Land and if you saw his quote was you know, you want to push your body to the limit till it breaks, and he goes, maybe it's actually breaking right now because he just pulled his hamstring and he's gonna be out for four weeks. How hard is that at this point in your career to be able to one deal with but two also be able to rehab from.
Speaker 3: No, I mean absolutely. I think a lot of times it depends on what it is, obviously, But you know, playing this game for so long you get an idea of when things feel right and when things feel wrong and how far you can push your body, because I mean that's what we do as professional athletes, as we were out there and push our bodies to the limit every opportunity that we get to go out there, cover and then go out there and do it again.
Speaker 5: So we kind of have a pretty good gauge.
Speaker 3: Of where our meter is and controlling that and knowing when we need to push through and gain more or if we're in a spot that is a good spot to be in, let it be strength, speed, you name it. There are spots that you want to be in and you can hold onto and then there are times where you're like, hey, I can I can keep on building, I can keep on getting stronger. I feel like I can hit the ball harder or throw the ball harder, and you can you can feel like, hey, I'm gaining, I'm growing and it's not slowing me down.
Speaker 5: So the body feels pretty good.
Speaker 3: And I think it's just a constant battle throughout the season of you know, finding that line and then staying on it, because as soon as you take a day off, you're sometimes you're having to take too many, too many days to get back to where you were.
Speaker 4: Right when you came on the show and you saw yourself on the screen, did you look at the did you look at your hat and go, oh, that's right, that's right, yep, yep raise. Has it been hard to keep up with the fact that now you're with the Rais? I think this is your eleventh big league team?
Speaker 5: Correct?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so. I think I can't even keep up with that now. I just, uh, I enjoy the game, the game itself. You know, no matter what uniform you're putting on or what hat you're wearing, you know, the game is the same. The idea, the idea of going out there competing every single night with a group of guys who care and have passionate about the game and want to show up and win every single night.
Speaker 5: It doesn't matter what uniform to wearing, and to still.
Speaker 3: Get that opportunity to do it and share some of the things I've learned through the years and and continue on learning with how our game continues to change and all the information we have just continue to you know, try to grow, learn and and you know, go out there and use that information to have some fun.
Speaker 2: Ac Geek is MLB's official ticket marketplace, and in addition to finding every single game on the MLB calendar, there are big events coming up soon.
Speaker 6: There's an All Star game. There's a home run Derby. And if you think you're perfect and you can pick the right seat at the home run derby to get the most home run balls, you can get the little green dot and that might be your lucky seat. Don't go red dot, though, because you might not get any balls, but go redgreen dot and get as many home run balls as you think you can catch.
Speaker 2: Yep, you click the seat, you check out what your view is. Each ticket's rated on a scale of one to ten, so you know you're a good deal. And that's what AJ's talking about. Green good read bad with those dots and the code for you Territory one zero for ten percent off your next set of tickets at sea Geek. That's ten percent off any MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description of this episode that'll help you download the app and then get the code automatically added to your account so that you can use it later.
Speaker 5: Thank you to Zeekeek Do.
Speaker 4: You feel like you're chasing something or do you feel like you're giving more to the game, Like do you feel like we have Kelly Jansen on and he's chasing this number that number you know had we had another closer on he wanted to be the most appearances by a Mexican pitcher. Are you chasing something or do you feel like you're giving more to the game as.
Speaker 3: I think the game, I think the game is still given a lot to me. I mean, I have, you know, the opportunity, like I just said, to share the things that I've learned, But man, I'm getting so much back from you know, the guys.
Speaker 1: I'm getting the experience each.
Speaker 3: And every day with you know, getting to bring my kids in here and then let them experience, you know, daddy being a big leaguer and what it is to you know, learn manners and how to be around a group of guys that are in here working and just all those those little things that I've really started enjoy over the last couple of years, just being able to bring my family in here and letting them be a part of it.
Speaker 1: And it's very gratifying.
Speaker 3: And then I enjoyed every single day and you know, if I can wake up tomorrow and come back in here and then do it again, I'm got's say it's a good day.
Speaker 5: That's so sick.
Speaker 4: What did the Mets say, Well, can you walk us through like when the Mets signed you, called you up to the big leagues, to the point of when they got rid of you. Is it still at this point in your career, it's not you, it's us. It's a numbers thing. What was the conversation that conversations that you had with.
Speaker 5: Them, I mean it's a lot.
Speaker 3: I mean we I would say my experience with the New York Mets was an extremely positive one. The you know, the respect that they gave me, the conversations that we have through you know, bringing me into camp, not making the open date roster, and then eventually get the opportunity to come and try to help them out, and just conversating through that and you know, understanding what my role was with the team, and you know what I was trying trying to achieve physically to you know, obviously still trying to help the team win each and every night. And I think our conversation between you know, me and the organization was amazing. They treated me well first class, and they gave me this opportunity to be down here in Tampa.
Speaker 5: Something that they didn't have to do.
Speaker 3: But in respect for me and knowing that I want to pitch at the big league level, they gave me this opportunity and I have to thank them a lot for that.
Speaker 4: Are there and I should have looked this up. Any player teammates that you've played with the last two years that are young guys that have.
Speaker 5: Gone, Holy, yeah, that's Craig Kimbrel.
Speaker 4: Is anybody like enamored by the fact that you're Craig Kimberrel. That's like a young guy that's just into the league.
Speaker 3: Yes, and no, I think I think it goes away pretty quick once they get to know me.
Speaker 1: I think over the last year or so, I think it's been more of a fun game.
Speaker 3: The youngest guy on the team to come up and tell me that he watched me when he was in elementary school or or middle school or or whatnot, and you know, it's fun.
Speaker 5: I really enjoy it.
Speaker 3: Kind of it lets me know how long I've been haven't had this opportunity to do this, and you know, always those guys at one point, you know, I got an opportunity at twenty one years old to play with a guy that I looked at as you know, one of the greatest players, being an Atlanta fan, and you know I was. I was in that shoot too, So you know, it's it's fun, it's we have fun with it. It's you know, it's I'm glad I can sit here and say that guys get the joke on that I'm still playing, because you know, I enjoy showing up every day and a lot of a lot of times if they joke on me too much about being old, I'm like, come on, let's go in the weight room.
Speaker 5: Let's see if you can keep up with me.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, it's a lot of games exactly.
Speaker 4: I obviously I was never a good player, but I played for a long time and I know it was like to be old and the old jokes all that stuff. But you got to give me at least one guy who You're like, man, I can't believe that guy like told me he played like who was somebody that came up to you and said it that. You're like, yeah, I'm gonna definitely call him.
Speaker 5: Out for it. Here.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I'll go ahead and put this one because I don't know if you'll talk to him. But earlier in the year, we're kind of joking on the bus about what, you know, like if someone was a millennial or gen Z and someone was like, what, what's Craig and Carson Bingch said, he is any from the Great Depression? And so that was that was a pretty quick turnaround. And he kind of hid in the back of the bus. But I'm sure sure someone put him up to it. But that was a that was a pretty good one. I'm not that old, obviously, but I got the gist of this joke.
Speaker 4: Wait, wait, okay, so so people don't know, people don't know, like hiding in the back of the bus. You put him in the you put him in the pooper, right, You put him in the toilet for saying that.
Speaker 3: Right now, I might have made him bring bring me a drink and just set it right in front of me and not drink it.
Speaker 1: But he didn't have to go, he didn't have to go in the bathroom.
Speaker 5: I think it was a pretty short bus ride.
Speaker 4: You're so nice, You're such a You're such a nice.
Speaker 5: Time too nice sometimes I think, I think, so.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, that's why the rookies. I always I always told people the rookies haven't changed, like they still have the same mouth as when you were when you were a rookie. Almost said freshman when you were a rookie. The difference is the veterans have changed. You're so much nicer. Chipper would have never let you say that when you were a rookie.
Speaker 1: Oh, absolutely not, No, absolutely not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's there's there's a lot more rookies nowadays though, so it's kind of kind of the kind of gang up on us.
Speaker 5: You know, that's true. That's true.
Speaker 4: Hey, one quick question about the closer on your team, Brian Baker, who's not really closed until this year. Do you have conversations or has he asked you any questions about being a closer, Because I always talk about on the show and other guys conversating, we talk about closing is different. Yes, it's still three outs. Yes, it's the main part of the lineup usually two, three, four. But do you guys have any of those kinds of conversations since he's essentially new to it at I think like thirty one or thirty two years old.
Speaker 3: I think we've had we've definitely had conversations about pitching and when do you use things and how to use things and kind of seeing moments. But you know, I played with Bake a couple of years ago in Baltimore and got to know him there, got to see the stuff that he has and his stuff's electric and being two years moved from that and seeing what he's doing now, I see, I see someone who's understands how to compete in what they have and then taking the next step and using his competitive mentality to make, you know, make it even that much better. You know, he's he's always been a huge competitor, very fiery guy, and now you put him, put him in a role where he can finish the game and then the last out that he makes, it can take a breath and celebrate with the team. I think he's really embraced that role and he carries that role. He wants that role, and he's you can see how much success he's having with it. I mean, he's very very happy to see him do that, especially you know, I played with him two years ago and seeing where he was and what he's been able to, you know, mold and turn himself into as a competitor, a big leaguer and now you know, going out there closing games and what he's been able to do to you know, put the team on his back. It's very very encouraging to see and very happy for him.
Speaker 4: Craig, you've been in the game a long time. Can you recall your scariest moment in the bullpen? Visiting walk, like just sitting in the bullpen, maybe even walking into the game, like where you were like, Okay, that took another level more than just like hey Greg, you shut up all that stuff bull.
Speaker 1: I mean I think it for all of it. I think you have to go back to the first one.
Speaker 3: You know, the first time you go down to the bullpen, the first time you get and you're sitting there and you're waiting for the phone ring.
Speaker 1: You don't know if it's going to be you.
Speaker 3: You're you're nervous, you're excited, you don't know how to feel, you don't know what to think.
Speaker 1: I think I think the first opportunity.
Speaker 3: You get to go out there and compete is the most nervous and most exciting I think you'll ever be as a professional.
Speaker 2: So do you think that fans now are better than they were?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: How are fans these days visiting bullpens, you know, like I didn't. Didn't you have a fan chuck something at you once or twice in like phill your New York.
Speaker 5: Yeah, probably probably.
Speaker 1: More than I know.
Speaker 5: You know, there's only only No.
Speaker 3: One coming out of New York in eighteen during the playoffs, I had a beer thrown at me.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but I'm sure, I'm sure I've made a couple.
Speaker 3: Of people want to throw some stuff at me over the years. But that just kind of that kind of comes with the job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And if you're dominating, they don't they're.
Speaker 5: Not too bad. They're not too bad down the bullpen.
Speaker 3: I mean, security usually does a pretty good job as long as they keep it PG and you know, make it to where you know, kids aren't hearing things they shouldn't. You know, I think we enjoy it sometimes when when they get pretty funny and you can make us laugh.
Speaker 5: You know, I think you're doing a pretty good job.
Speaker 2: Okay, So now I want to get to a very important last part of the conversation here. So we teamed up with Simon's Hart to make sure that people aware of heart health and how conditions can be cure. If you get on top of it early on. I'll explain more in a moment, but can you explain your connection to a cause like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know we've been been involved in various different organizations over the years, not not just heart health, but just you know health in general, cancer, you know, not trying to help children, but you know this, you know it comes to heart health. It's something that me and my family have walked through firsthand. Our daughter was born with hypoplastic left heart syndrome, and you know, just walking through that and you know, she's she's good now, she's eight years old, she's she's gone through that process. But you know, just learning how you know, how easy it is to be born and something not be right or you know, something to evolve over time. You know, heart health is it's something we don't talk about a lot. It's something that is extremely important for us to just survive and you know, learning through it and learning how common it is for people to be kids to be born with it or people to develop it over the years.
Speaker 5: You know, it's something we got to pay attention to.
Speaker 3: You know, the more we're aware about you know, how we physically work or you know how you know diet wise, what's best for us based on you know, who we are as a person or how our body works. You know, all those things are very important, and it all starts with the heart. And without it, we wouldn't be walking around. So I'm glad y'all brought this up. Something that's very important to be in my family. We walk through it every single day and and will for the rest of our daughter's life. But you know, it's it's amazing that there's there's so many organizations and hospitals and people out there that put so much time, effort, money into you know, helping people save their lives, save people's lives and loved ones lives, and you know, just making it to where you know, it's not a it's not something that will you know, in the life life, but something that we you know, can work through and and and you know, understand a little bit better.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, most hard conditions are detectable and treatable. So if you don't mind, do you remember the time period when you were experiencing that, and you know how scary it was, how much you learned about the situation, and how much it was helpful to have, you know, support around you. I think you you know, took a took a beat from the team so you can make sure everything was okay at home, the whole deal there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we found out very early.
Speaker 5: I mean with the imaging.
Speaker 3: We actually found out when we went in to you know, find out what gender she was and they look at the heart and the lungs and the brain and all those things, and that's when we found out. But it's also because we found out so early, it gave us an opportunity to put it put a team together to give her care at Boston Children's Hospital. And I can't say enough about you know, how much they helped us, how much they helped our child obviously, and just just working through the process that you know, it's not a one time thing, it's a it's a it's a lifetime, lifetime relationship of working through and making sure everything's okay and and shake ups and you know, it's a never ending thing. But you know, now we sit here and talk about it, there's there's so many people out there that are in need of you know, you know, funds and places to stay in food, you know, families, the child do or or person who you know is.
Speaker 1: Affected by it.
Speaker 3: It hurts them, but it's also tough on families as well, and you know the fact that there's programs in place to help you help the families and help the siblings, and you know, getting to work and getting to school and making sure you know this and that, just taking care of I mean, the list goes on and on and on, especially when you have a child, and you know, we're very blessed to be in the situation that we were in, but at the same time that everybody's there and it's just it's so encouraging, like I said, to see foundations and organizations put together to try to help that one.
Speaker 5: Well, thanks for sharing, Craig.
Speaker 2: Means a lot obviously to spread some awareness about that one too. And you're right, sometimes it does get overlooked even though it is a is a massive deal within the body. It is a big deal with a heart, no doubt about it. Well, dude, great to catch up with you. Thanks so much for the time. Appreciate it fun watching you with this race team that's clearly thriving on the field. So we'll catch up with you down the.
Speaker 1: Road, all right.
Speaker 5: I appreciate it, guys.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's Craig Kimberl of the race, and like we were talking about here on the tail end, Simon's Hart and the Babe Ruth League are actually partnering the spring to protect the hearts and lives of young baseball and softball players everywhere.
Speaker 5: So this is cool.
Speaker 2: They're spreading CPR awareness across schools and communities because yes, you want to be able to detect heart conditions, but also sudden cardiac arrest can really be a problem at any moment at a place where you need help instantly, and it's actually the leading cause of death of students on school campuses. So you can learn more about hands only CPR, your classmate and friend will have a better chance of surviving if you're able to do that. It is very easy to learn it and we've been posting some clips on social media too. If you're a Babe Ruth League player, coach, or parent, you can win exclusive signed merchandise from Foul Territory and other prizes from Simon's Heart too, So go to just a ball dot org just aball dot org to learn how to enter for a chance to win the sweepstakes.