Speaker 1: What's that Steven Bridges Road, You're off in God's Country With Breed Dan, also known as the Brother Summer, we take a weekly drive to the intersection of country music and.
Speaker 2: The great outdoors.
Speaker 3: They go together, like.
Speaker 2: The end of deer season and seasonal deer pressure and having.
Speaker 3: Two year olds and babies and ear infections.
Speaker 2: I can't get rid of booths. Brought to you by Meat Eater.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Congratulations, you made it. If you're listening to this, you made it. Because if you're dead, you're.
Speaker 3: Not And if you are, we'll see you again someday.
Speaker 1: What Oh we uh yeah, we're from the basement again. No video element yet. We'll be back in the in the studio next week. Why is mine looking.
Speaker 3: Crazy on there?
Speaker 2: It always does?
Speaker 1: Okay, Uh, we're gonna catch all up on some recent deer stories. May have put another tag on a deer, not me, but somebody else in this room.
Speaker 3: Some fan questions.
Speaker 1: Uh, maybe talk about deerpression a little bit, because it's a real thing.
Speaker 2: It is a real thing. It's a real, real thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a real thing.
Speaker 2: Is that a dog?
Speaker 1: But yeah, thanks for thanks for listening, Thanks for hanging out. This is season two of The God's Country.
Speaker 2: Podcast Burn.
Speaker 3: Thanks for those five star ratings. We're seeing those. You're supposed to be roasting us, but I think you're being a little too nice.
Speaker 2: People put putting things.
Speaker 1: I think they're Yeah, I think they're leaving some comments. But one guy said, I think it'd been too nice. One guy said he never wants to hear you say waggo again. How do you say me yeah, waggoo? He said, if I see read it about how dad.
Speaker 3: Said wago, But didn't he say wago?
Speaker 2: What's up wago beef? No?
Speaker 1: He said, he said, we were talking about bob Steakhouse, and he's like, oh, Bob's is good.
Speaker 2: He's what it is.
Speaker 1: He's like, no, they got wagoo, dear camp, and we just both. I'd like a little that's a forehead slap.
Speaker 2: A good forehead for that. I'd like a little explanation from whoever wrote that is how Reid says it, so I can continue to make fun of him for how he says, what are you talking waggo? I've always there's a review on that.
Speaker 3: How do you say waggonag?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Saying me too swift? They're talking shade about me. They're talking shade about you. I didn't say Dan, only said.
Speaker 3: Reid whatever whoever they need to come at me like a.
Speaker 2: Break, and then we start the podcast somewhere.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 2: We never really stopped the intro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we started talking about WAG. But we see your five star ratings. Thank you for leaving those.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Steve Ranella said that if you don't leave a five star rating, he's gonna come down here and make us do a forty eight hour Abuka cook and it has to pass the test.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought it was seventy six hours, but uh, I don't know. He likes to take a long time to cook things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he said he's gonna come down here and.
Speaker 2: Talk to us in its northern Michigan accent a lot.
Speaker 1: And if we don't have enough five star ratings that he'll make us talk the way they do.
Speaker 2: He's gonna pump. He's gonna put speakers in our houses and just pump him and Yannice and honest, his dad's accents in.
Speaker 3: For Sam and you know, up stat salmon trees.
Speaker 1: I see you don't need a food plot, need Sam food plots private land, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go give us a five star rating.
Speaker 2: It takes just a couple.
Speaker 1: Of seconds, and it's Jops's job security for us. Uh, make sure and follow us on social media The Brothers at The Brothers Hunt and at The God's Country Podcast on Instagram, Facebook, and the Tiktoktok.
Speaker 2: We're kind of TikTok famous. Do you know that?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like some things we have are viral, like like certified, what's viral? What's certified? Idea?
Speaker 3: What's a number? Literally know what's some of our videos going on.
Speaker 2: Two hundred and fifty thousand been?
Speaker 3: Dang?
Speaker 1: Yes, straight, we gotta havel a milim one. I think so, I feel like that's viral. I mean, I'll say, what's viral? It's these ir infections. My two year old?
Speaker 2: Oh dad, dude, I've been sick for four days. I'm sick right now.
Speaker 3: Everybody, Yeah, everybody.
Speaker 1: In my family is pretty much sick except Jordan. Jordan doesn't get sick, which is like maybe a maybe God just doing the thing, because if he was sick and everybody else is sick, would be man, it'd be rough around here. We have got Inhaler's going, We've got game changers, Our beauter owl is a game changer.
Speaker 2: Nebulizers. Got a nabulizer that rocks a couple of times a day sometimes.
Speaker 1: You know what Jordan I picked up for me yesterday. That's that's kind of changed my life. I've had a I went from a stomach bug to a straight up to a sinus infection in the same day.
Speaker 3: So I've got that musin X cold and cool.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: The spray, the no spray, that stuff will get you. And then uh sign legit so you try that. Is that the kind you have?
Speaker 2: It's called or something act. No, you're mixing.
Speaker 3: No Zinac is one too, That's not the one I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: It be down the door.
Speaker 3: That's Murle or Maybell.
Speaker 1: And then she got me some more uh just like nasal infection stuff or sinus infection medicine. That's made me feel like a new man because I didn't sleep for like three days.
Speaker 2: It was awful. But uh, should there be a break? Seriously?
Speaker 3: What are you talking about a break?
Speaker 2: You know, we did the intro and then there's like the music plays and then we started the episode.
Speaker 3: Oh break, what.
Speaker 2: You're mad at? Just tell us what it is? What you're mad at?
Speaker 3: Sit you in lost kids.
Speaker 2: Mind being your boss man or your name? He was cat. Just tell us what you man?
Speaker 1: You mad at, Reid, Let me look at what you're mad at. Notes in my phone that I've been keeping up with.
Speaker 3: Oh, I got a couple.
Speaker 2: Good good because I can't think of any immediately.
Speaker 3: So the other day.
Speaker 1: Pest control comes and does the thing while he stays for like fifteen minutes and does the pest control which is just like sprays for spiders.
Speaker 3: And kind of all that stuff.
Speaker 1: And then uh and then he like dust off the spider webs and and things off the front porch and in the garage and sprays around the stay anyway, does all the things, stays for like fifteen minutes and leaves.
Speaker 3: I'll pay him fifty dollars a.
Speaker 1: Month to do that, and I dust off bottle we yeah, And I was like, bro, this is this is a scam man, Yeah, everything is. So I was like, you know what, man, I am gonna call and cancel. I'm done with this, don't want to do it my own, So I'm headed to home depot. I'm in a hurry because I gotta It's like it's the time that the babies go to sleep.
Speaker 3: You get about two and a half hours.
Speaker 2: What two and a half?
Speaker 3: My kids quick moving the microphone around. It's really loud, annoying, as loud as you think. So I'm on my way to home depot.
Speaker 1: I call the pest control I'm not gonna say the name, but I call the pest control place. Guy answers. He's like, hello, this is YadA YadA pest Control. Can I help you? I was like, hey, man, I've had y'all service for year and a half or so, y'all done a great job. I tried to like preface it like thanks for what you've done for me, but I'm done. So I was like, thanks for ya pretty much. What I'm calling for is to cancel. He's like, okay, well let's get your account pulled up.
Speaker 3: So pulls up. My candis like okay, looks like you're.
Speaker 1: Paying forty nine ninety nine a month and uh and yeah, so uh so so you're calling to cancel.
Speaker 3: You want to cancel the serface.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, man, I just got you know, I got some more time on my hands and I'm gonna do it for now. He's like okay, okay, well okay, well you know like, you say, you get some more time on your hands. I understand that. He's like, but you know if once you think about it and some more time on your hands, that means that you're gonna take over this responsibility and you may not have the equipment that we have to to truth.
Speaker 3: Bro he oh my god. He did that over and over and over.
Speaker 1: And I was trying not to be rude and like not snap, but it was about and I cut him off. He'd like, and when the cool you know we have the quinn. I was like, yeah, man, I get it. I was like, I understand, but I'm not gonna change my mind. I'm gonna I'm we're canceling.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He's like, okay, okay, yeah, I totally get it.
Speaker 1: Yes, And it got to the point he did so much he said he went back in on it. He's like, you know, I understand, but you may want to spend time with your family.
Speaker 3: I was like, hey man, let me just do that.
Speaker 2: I understand everything, but you know what you may just suppose.
Speaker 3: Hey man, I said, hey man, here's.
Speaker 2: I here's say that. I was like, you just said to say, Okay, I understand man, but you got.
Speaker 1: Hey man, I understand that you're getting this is your job right here. You are supposed to try to talk me into keeping this service, and you have for the past fifteen minutes, and every time I've cut you off and I've said I want to cancel, I am not renewing my service with you. There's nothing you could do. Even if you gave it to me for free, I wouldn't do it. We are canceling right now, and I don't want you to come back and try to. I was like, I'm in a hurry. My babies are asleep. I got an hour and a half. I'm in home depot. I gotta get some wood to build this thing in my garage because it's too much information.
Speaker 3: I was no, I was losing my mind.
Speaker 2: Sounds like it was.
Speaker 1: He like yeah, he was like Jack, No, he was like, okay, let's just cancel your service.
Speaker 2: Good. You know what got me one time and that really made me man. One time I took my back when I had a real bad car. It was rolling town of Funny and I rolled up to this place over here because I couldn't get Greg's auto on the phone. Who's our guy in Columbia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you need to and.
Speaker 2: I went to this, Uh, one of these little Cheney guys, right yeah, rolled in, he puts me, puts me on the rack, and he goes, hey, can you come look at something? And I was like, sure, man, whatever, this is having me before, so I want to show you something. So there's like I can't remember the exact words, but Cantor is one of them, right, so you will this supposed to like be leaning a certain way and aimed a certain way. There's two words. One of them is Cantor. I can't remember them. Cant Cantor to the planet of Cantor.
Speaker 3: That sounds like a level on elder or what's that Contra Contra.
Speaker 1: Up down, down, left, right, left right of B A B A start like that.
Speaker 2: It sounded like, you know, it's like that.
Speaker 1: No, that's only when you get if you have to shoot the same time you get the A.
Speaker 2: That's it's.
Speaker 3: Something like that. I don't want a game.
Speaker 1: Then that is top five. That's a playable game. I still have of all times.
Speaker 2: Remember the picture of us holding the paper plate with our hands up number one. It says we beat Contra on the plate is a paper plate.
Speaker 3: I wish you goad. I still had that paper play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they came home. We were like, we paid that, we used the cheek code, but I don't think that's it something. Look at it. While I'm talking to Okay, so I anyway, I'm in there, he's like, your cannon cantours off cantour and uh, He's like, but check this out and he he moved the wheel right. But look it wasn't like it just bare the one. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He was like yeah, And see, honestly, when it comes down to this uh little situation here, I'm not even sure if legally I can let you off the rat without you know, I'm gonna have to get my manager.
Speaker 2: And I was like, what did you legally? Did you say legally?
Speaker 3: He was like, should have said legally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna have to get my man.
Speaker 1: I was like, hey, dude, drop and he's like what I said, drop my right, dude, if you are gonna first off, bro, you said legally, like you cannot legally if we're gonna get into legal terms, keep my stuff up on the rack.
Speaker 2: Just you can't hold me hostage. Bro.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what am I supposed to do?
Speaker 2: Sign anything? I haven't agreed anything, I haven't paid anything.
Speaker 3: What if your manager can't come.
Speaker 2: Drop my you know what I'm saying, I'm done. I don't know. I don't care if it falls off in the parking lot.
Speaker 1: If I'm gonna climb up there and get it out and drive it offering this place.
Speaker 2: Now, Yeah, that made me. I can still see that guy's face in my brain right now when he said that, because it made me it. Because here's what I okay, and I'm just gonna say this. I'm a big guy. I'm a big thick guy. But dude, you take some no doubt, that's what. I've got a sampound gal in there that's got an hour and that is gullible that believes that that. I mean, that is like a big dude could like kind of vocal leap, manipulate, slash, push you around.
Speaker 3: A little bit there, absolutely trying to manipulate you.
Speaker 2: And I was just like, bro, what did what dude? Somebody needs to I'm checking you. And he was like, okay, we'll get up and I was like yeah, immediately, bro, like I'm not even going back in there. You're gonna drop it. I'm backing out right now. And I backed out and went to Greg's old and sat there to the gether there, Oh somewhere it goes be a little.
Speaker 3: Little jet's fire me up right now.
Speaker 2: Oh dude, that's probably enough of it. We're good to be a little little bad.
Speaker 3: I don't know if we can actually do that.
Speaker 2: I wish we could find a band play. I met somebody's covered that for that. Look that up too.
Speaker 3: I know we gotta get the rest of it.
Speaker 2: It would be so good if a great band cover that.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, it's got this got oh this is a it's a band.
Speaker 2: They they started with the lick. Uh h.
Speaker 3: M hmmm.
Speaker 2: Even the base. That's what I wanted. That's all I wanted, was the base to do it.
Speaker 3: I don't even know shout out who that is?
Speaker 2: Who is that that is?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: I've already lost it a little little yes, but it makes you want to play it.
Speaker 3: I might play it.
Speaker 2: After this. I'll put down the left right b A BA starts starting, So a select start if you want to Blair regular player just said start all right, dude, go, I've got some I've.
Speaker 3: Got some fans submitted what you're mad at.
Speaker 2: Let's get into him. Don't beat the best one first.
Speaker 1: The first one is from Kevin ritter. He says, breaking my rifle, breaking my rifle, holding arm, ending dear season before I get my freezer field I've been.
Speaker 2: I'll be mad at that.
Speaker 3: Can't go break it.
Speaker 2: Listen for a girl man to break an arm.
Speaker 3: That's that's some heavy you got something.
Speaker 2: Something happened there, bro because there's force on that. I mean, honestly, nowadays, I don't participate in things that I can break my arm out or anything. Honestly.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I'm sure this guy wouldn't. I mean, I mean he could have been. But like you can break your arm by tripping outside. It's true there's something falling off of But.
Speaker 2: What's the most what's direct? Okay, let me ask you this. What's the last thing or what's the thing that comes to mind that you didn't participate in because of the possibility of a risk of you getting hurt? Uh?
Speaker 3: I'd have to think about it.
Speaker 2: I mean, like immediately, for me, somebody asked me to play softball this past.
Speaker 3: Year and I was like, nope, oh no, not do no way, dude, do it.
Speaker 1: Last off of the game we played in we all pulled our groin and snowboarding.
Speaker 2: I don't ask me to go skin or snowboard.
Speaker 1: Not I'm gonna I'm gonna get back in the snowboarding. I'm gonna say, our kids, but what it's fun?
Speaker 2: We're don't even we're close to a place that they could snowboard regularly.
Speaker 3: No, I know, I'm saying one day.
Speaker 2: You already broke your arm doing it. Last time you did it, you broke your elbow.
Speaker 3: I know I'm not gonna do it again.
Speaker 1: Uh way can up at two am with no covers like my wife wraps up in a cocoon and takes them.
Speaker 3: Austin Beasley, you know.
Speaker 2: How you fixed that? Austin Beasley. Two covers, two comforters. Baby, Yeah, get it done. So Uh you read some My four and a half year old Honting dog pass away from cancer this week. Dude, sorry about that. I'm mad at that too. I'm sad at that. I'm sad at that. What just sad?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm sad at that.
Speaker 2: I'm sad that, dude. I'm sorry. Moved to Nashville a week ago, and the weather and yuppie attire is more like Seattle must be an East.
Speaker 1: National is getting getting tough. People asking for your fishing spots people do people ask you for your Yeah, don't give it on you know, I get or give it to it. I mean there's another unless it's.
Speaker 2: Like it depends on who people are.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, there's Listen, if you give somebody a fishing spot, I mean, they're not gonna catch every fish in that spot. They're probably not even gonna go and catch fish.
Speaker 2: We get hit up in our instagram about like public landsc spot's a different thing. We get hit up in our instagram about public lands spots a pretty good bit. And and I always rode back. I think like one guy was asking about uh, northwest Nashville, and I was like, dude, I mean, cheat him right there. I got Steve Swat all right, is right there be in the front.
Speaker 3: You're only down here.
Speaker 2: If you get far enough back in the back, you can find some deer, you know. I mean like I didn't say waypoint here, but I don't know any way points. I just know that that place is deer, just like you know it does if you can get it there.
Speaker 3: And get them.
Speaker 1: This is the best one. This one takes the cake. This is from Dave Bratcher. This is great man the gas and I would be mad I am mad at this dude. The gas pump that has the part broken off where you have to hold it the whole time when it's cold.
Speaker 2: Dude, I like this guy. Man, that's annoying. I get that. I feel that.
Speaker 1: I feel that anytime I roll up to a gas station and you got to sit there and hold it. It could be warm, it could be the best feeling day in the world, but you got to sit there and hold it instead of just.
Speaker 2: Up in second place? Was Andre shoot shoe man? My truck alarm going off at my hunting spot again, I could see that. Man. Yeah, pretty annoying.
Speaker 3: That's tough. Well, yeah, I keep sitting those in.
Speaker 2: We love it. I love Aaron for y'all. Man, it's fun for me. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And hey, if we if you write us and we don't reply, it's because we don't. We don't live on social media. I probably will never reply. But uh but Dan, he gets on there sometimes and then you know.
Speaker 2: I did the thing the other day. I was in the deer stand. I didn't have nothing going on. I was like, man, deer season going to do people.
Speaker 3: I saw some of those pictures were sitting like deer.
Speaker 2: They shot.
Speaker 1: That's great. Yeah, I love to hear from y'all. Speaking of deer season. It's over well actually today right now, the last hours of it going on right now, stays on the stove. Yeah, man, it was a good one. Little recap was a little recap. Started off in Kansas. Dan killed a giant.
Speaker 2: It was a remarkable season.
Speaker 1: Came home, did some hunting, went back. I killed a giant? Is that that? My dog was just scratching the door. And then you killed a good deer five days later in Tennessee.
Speaker 2: And then surprise, I killed a good deer two days ago.
Speaker 1: And then two days ago he caught up with a a big old deer.
Speaker 2: Here's here's the thing I'd like to talk about.
Speaker 3: Dad killed a good dear with dad killed a good deer in between that?
Speaker 2: Is that that deer we scored him the other day? Yeah? Great, seven point seven. You don't get the four mass measurements, you know, you don't get three of them ones I forgot. I didn't even think about that. We were taking something gonna be a few benches. But shoot, man, I mean, but you do that and and no time and you're talking ten to twelve anyway, Nobody cares about this to listen to this pretty.
Speaker 1: Much, dude, one time that and that's the thing that kills you, right, is like no six points gonna score or seven points. I mean if you kill a any seven point one hundred and thirty inches or more, that's a giant.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you added a time and a mass measurement to this book, he's pushing one third straight up. Yeah. And you know, we went back and looked at that deer and we had we had pictures of him from the year before where he was easy four and a half five and a half years old last year.
Speaker 1: So I mean he's an old deer. Yeah, that's why we shot it. That's why we hunted him. I think it's I actually passed him earlier, but I shouldn't have.
Speaker 2: I think it's fun too to recognize, like a deer that's older and say I'm hunting that deer period.
Speaker 1: To me, that's that's the that's the pinnacle of hunting like that.
Speaker 3: That gets me fired up. The most gives me most excited about going into.
Speaker 1: The woods is when you have deer on a list and you call it a hit list or whatever you want to you want to call it. Shooters, but you're going in there after a deer. And that's and that's another reason I think I passed that deer and me and Dad were talking about this. I passed the deer that Dan killed one of my first sits in Tennessee.
Speaker 3: And it's because.
Speaker 1: I'm not good. I mean, I saw that deer right and I videoed him, and I was like, man, he's probably he might be four and a half, he might be five and a half. I'm not sure, but it was hard to tell for me, and I didn't have a relationship with him. So like, it's gonna be real tough for me that a deer has to be an absolute monster for me to shoot it the first time I ever see it, because I I want to know a deer like I want to And not that I didn't shoot that deer because I didn't know him, just I wasn't sure how old he was. And then we kept on getting pictures of him, and we kind of we kind of created.
Speaker 3: This relationship with this seven point.
Speaker 1: We figured out that he we had pictures of him, y yeah, and you go back and you find older pictures where he's three four five, and so you know that this deer is in the prime, you know, growth and and kind of maturity of his life, and and then you're like, Okay, yeah, let's shoot that deer. And that's I mean, that's the reason I didn't pull the trigger on that deer that first time.
Speaker 3: I should have.
Speaker 2: He's a great deer. Yeah, I mean looking at pictures and seeing the video of him and really getting to analyze how big he was prior to hunting him. He was pretty No, I wouldn't say he was let's just talk about how that hunt went down. So we were getting random pictures of this deer at the end of one of our food plots, and he just well you would get we get, but he wasn't regular.
Speaker 1: He would consistently be regular for about three days, coming from the same area, coming from where he was bed and going to whatever food he was eating, and this is his travel, this is his pattern, and he'd be he'd do it for two or three days. You'd get a picture of him in the morning coming back, and get a picture of him in the afternoon leaving.
Speaker 2: And but I feel like there was a period there where we got him real regular during when it was rud Then there was like that weird post rut thing when he's probably liked up with a dose. We didn't see him very much, and then what we consider second route, which is usually Christmas, is he turned back on. He turned back on. We didn't have any time to go hunt him, and uh, really though it's it's last ditch effort on our part that we hunted him. After New Year's we had two days to go with dad. Yeah, and uh, the kids were healthy enough to give us forty eight hours.
Speaker 1: Well not really, but our wives were grateful enough, gracious enough, grateful, grateful for us going.
Speaker 3: On, gracious enough. I'm grateful enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they turned this loose for forty eight really thirty six, I guess we hunted one afternoon We went and had a terrible salad.
Speaker 3: For God, that sound don't see the place.
Speaker 2: No, it was bad.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: Do you all feel like when you get a bad meal at hunting camp it kind of like the trip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think part of hunting campus is eating and cooking and going and having good meals.
Speaker 2: And it was freezing at night, and we've been in the woods late. We were just let's just go get something in salads and small towns always taste the same.
Speaker 1: Two things go together like a salad, a bad salad and a small No, you should put out.
Speaker 2: The country song sat in a small town. So anyway, I want to make you.
Speaker 3: Smile a little, make Friel.
Speaker 4: Put too many cute come resented, the maters are wilted, and the grass just I mean, and let us let us just don't look?
Speaker 2: What's that sound bad?
Speaker 3: What's that taste? And sad.
Speaker 2: Love? A bad salad and a small town man. That's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Come on, dude, somebody cut that.
Speaker 2: Uh. And so we started getting them like once every four days. He would roll through this into this food plot. We just like, dang, there he is big seven, he's a stud. What are we doing? That's the dear we need to be hunting. That's obviously a five six seven year old buck man. And and he's there occasionally, right, well, what do we do? We started looking. I'm like, I'm going. I remember I was like, I'm going today. It was the day of New Year's I was like, I'm going. Reads like I can't go, Dad's like I can't go, and reads like dude, col Frint comes on Saturday.
Speaker 3: I was like, yeah, you're right, Onday or Wednesday.
Speaker 2: But it didn't it didn't get it anything.
Speaker 1: Thay, Yeah, so we rolled in So I talked to you out of it, so I.
Speaker 2: Didn't I didn't spend my credit. I actually texted Shine and I said, hey, cold front doesn't hit until a couple of days. Would it be cool if I went later. She was like, actually, I would prefer you to go tomorrow instead of today. I was like sick, which, in hindsight bought me that afternoon. Sure, because if I had gone the day of I would to spend the night. I would have come back Thursday and not even hundred Friday instead of Thursday afternoon, slept on into the Friday morning. It saw almost a deer pilot deer I saw holiday.
Speaker 3: I missed the same I took my boat.
Speaker 2: I took my boat.
Speaker 1: I took Maybell, trying to trying to put her on the track, and uh, I missed. I missed the same dough a lot of times. Yea with my bow and arrow, I think my side was off. And and once I missed her twice, I just kind of put it up, think I don't want to I don't want to shoot one in the leg or something.
Speaker 2: So we hunted Thursday, spent the night. I had a bad sealing Friday morning. Nothing, No dear moved late. They moved to late. Dad stayed later, and I saw some dear those and then we and then we were really contemplating going home and just being like, man, good season. And I texted Shy and she was like, no, get it out of your system, just do it. This is it. You're done after this afternoon, come back that dark, you know. So went sat in there. Dad was an hour and a half late. At I got in the standard like talk had three fifteen here it's four where there coming down the draw. When I left the camp, Reed and Dad were both sitting there basically contemplating whether or not they were going to hunt. And so I was like, well, I don't care if they're coming or not. I'm still going. So I went got in the stand three point thirty eight. Here Dad coming down the haller just one hundred and fifty yards from my blind through the timber, and he goes sits in his thing. We start texting, I got doze, I got doz, I got bucks, I got whatever and all. And I didn't have anything going on. I didn't see any deer. I did see this, which was really interesting. And I'm not lying. I had a bunch of turkeys in the field and a spike came out and was literally he came running out of the woods and kicked the turkeys like they were beach balls. I promise, I promise, mad at them. I'm like he was just like playing with them, picking a fight with him or something. It was crazy. That's the only day I saw until about four point thirty, and then deer came out from everywhere, and that's when that col front was really starting to set in. Was that that night, yea, or right on the front of it. Deer pile out into the wood, out of the woods, into the food plot. I'm watching those. I'm seeing probably a couple two and three year old eight points bump. There was eighteen deer in the field at one time. A spike comes out. Spichael Jackson comes out, he's chasing all over, he runs them all out of the field. Everything's gone because he's just so annoying. Everything's gone. Then he runs off. Spice can do that. I'm right last evening, I'm gonna break the blind down, get these chairs, and I start literally pulling up the stakes.
Speaker 3: In the blind.
Speaker 2: There's like ten minutes left to shooting later five o'clock. Yeah, and so I sit back down. And when I sit down, one hundred and twenty yards in front of me is the seventh He just steps Actually I didn't even see him step out. I just see him standing in the food plight one undred twenty yards looking at me. And I said, oh snap, I could see the big split on the left side. I get down on the gun. When I say, a good book.
Speaker 3: Last last afternoon, here's the final chapter.
Speaker 2: And I my scope was so'sy and I have a high powered scope. It was zoomed in, excuse me, to the end of the field, and dude, I could not find the deer in my scope, and it was getting it was getting dark. I'm looking, I'm looking, I'm looking. I look back over the scope. By this point he is more than halfway across the food plot and not stopping. So the deer's moving. Deer's moving, deer's moving. I'm trying to get on him. I die my scope back, I get back down on the sticks. I look down and I find the deer just as he is about to enter the timber like where I cannot shoot. It's like a wall. He's just going to step into and so I get my scope on the deer and in my head, I'm like, that looks a little low. But in my finger, I'm like, kakaya, pull trigger. And I think that comes. I think that comes from years of being terrified that I'm never going to see that deer again and just kind of freaking myself out. And I immediately it was like, you idiot, you messed that up. I pull the trigger. The deer mule kicks and disappears into the timber. Right, So I'm like, okay, what do I do? I walked to where the shot was. I don't see blood. Immediately, I come back down the road a little bit and I hear a deer crashing. Right. So this is after about fifteen minutes, so I've given the deer enough time to where if it's vital, I feel like he's dead. And so when I hear the deer crash, I immediately leave. We leave, We wait an hour. We come back, and we spread out and we walked through that timber and we walked what forty yards and he's laying their stunk on dead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is the right thing to do. We were pretty confident that you heard the deer fall. But good on you to back out.
Speaker 2: I think that it's important to talk about, like giving how we decided to do what we did. Number One, I went to find where the deer shot. I mean where I shot the deer quickly, super quickly, but probably between eight and ten minutes, in order to try to find below before it got dark.
Speaker 1: I don't regret doing that. I backed out because I heard something kind of suspicions. Yeah, I mean that's pretty quick. It's pretty quick to go look at that. But the reason is because we were losing light, you know. But I mean there's also it's kind of like give him, give him half an hour, right.
Speaker 2: You got forty yards from where I shot that deer starts the thickest brier patch for what, dude, eight hundred acres of just total.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it don't matter.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying you can't track a deer. You can barely track a deer through that that stuff. Yeah, I mean, yeah, right, but it doesn't matter. If the deer gets there, he's you know, he's there. What I'm saying like the way you track it, like the way you respond to shooting a deer. That doesn't affect it is that there's the thickest stuff in the world.
Speaker 3: Is that what you're saying.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure what you're saying.
Speaker 3: Okay, just go keep it.
Speaker 2: So anyway, we back out, we go to the I tell them everything that happened. And one of the key things I think to think about is a deer is not going to mule kick at the sound of a shot. He's gonna mule kick at the at the act of being hit. And if you see that you've hit that deer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: And I was a thousand for sure sense sure that that happened. Because when that when it's all going down and you're flustered, you're kind of nervous. What just happened? Where did I see? Blah blah blah. A lot of those details get mixed up and missed and kind of misconstrued. Honestly. Yeah, but if you can latch onto the things you know happened. I know I shot this deer within this vicinity, I know he mule kicked. I know I heard something that was not a deer getting up running off. Let's we give him an hour and a half. We go back and he's stone called dead land there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think in those in those scenarios where because it listened. Most of the times, it doesn't happen like you see it on TV or on YouTube. It's not gonna the deer's not you're not going to see the deer from two hundred yards away. You're not gonna have time to prepare, put yourself in the perfect situation, especially in the South, to shoot the deer. A lot of times even even I mean in the Midwest, it happens fast. You know, just those scenarios, those scenarios that you're watching on TV are the perfect case scenarios, a lot of them, and it doesn't work out like that. So instead of just like reacting to the situation, which would have been you shot the deer, you're like, oh man, I got to get to him.
Speaker 2: You just go in.
Speaker 1: You don't find blood, you kind of freak out, You kind of go in there a little bit, don't let him, don't give him time to to I did, and jump him into that stuff where you can't get to him.
Speaker 2: I walked to wear shot, there was no blood and I got out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that's the right thing to do, is to because it doesn't matter right, The worst thing, the worst possible thing you can do as a deer hunter after shooting a deer is push a deer. And especially if you if you've got hard tracking with if it's a cutover or a thicket or water or whatever like, you don't want to push that deer across property line anything any of that and it hurt. Deer is gonna lay down and try to try to heal and and most of the time that's where you'll find them. But the best thing to do is back out and let happen what's gonna happen, and reassess what happened. And like we were talking about, we met up at the trucks and you told we sat there and you were telling us and you're like, I saw a mulk kick and and yeah, miss deer, don't milk kick. So assess the situation than than than going there and find the deer. But yeah, he's a great deer. And I thought kind of I found it. I think you shot that deer because we hadn't had a deer. I picture that deer in about a week, right two days. I think you shot. I think you were sitting there on his trail the first time he was coming back into his pattern.
Speaker 3: I think that deer. And it's interesting because because.
Speaker 1: Every deer like watching them on trail cameras and hunting this year that the deer I hunted was either hunting them on on the return of that like.
Speaker 3: And here's what I mean by return. When it's when.
Speaker 1: It's rut, when it's post rut, what they're gonna do is they're gonna breed that first dough they come into that's that's hot. They're gonna stick with it. They're gonna bed down with it, and they're gonna be locked down with it, and then they're gonna breed it, and then they're gonna gon gonna go try to find another one. When they leave that dough off lockdown, that puts them in this pattern of they're gonna they're gonna stay in there their core area and run that pattern a few days, and then they're going to take a little trip if there if there's no hot doughs in their core area, they're gonna take a little journey, an excursion is what they call it. And they're gonna they're gonna make a loop and it's not gonna be a random loop. It's going to be a consistent loop of maybe off your property. Maybe you've got big enough property that they're gonna stay on it, but they're not gonna be back in their core area for a few days because they're gonna go try to find a hot dough. And every big deer I hunted this year that the two that I killed, one of Kansas won in Tennessee. I killed one of the Kansas when he was making his journey back. Uh when he was actually when he was I think he had just left his core area and he was coming. He was making his two or three day little little stamp and U uh got him. And then the one in Tennessee, I think I caught him coming back into his his core area. I think he'd been gone for a few days and then he found a hot dough in the core area and was was was following her and making scrapes and and shot him on that. But that's a late season, man, That's a great tactic because because here's here's the deal, Like even in Tennessee, you're gonna see deer. We had a buddy tell Us of the day that on February second, he saw a deer breeding another deer, and as long as there's doughs that haven't come into heat and a lot of those young ones having and yearlingks having and the ones that hadn't got bred haven't, they're not They're going to continue to come into heat for for a while until those bucks are gonna be Those bucks are gonna be on them. And so it could be February and they could they could be a fourth or fifth rut. It just if there's a hot dough in the area that the bucks are gonna be rutting. And so late season, man, it's it's a it's a great and we kind of never feel we didn't figure that out really till you know, we've we've finded really hard late season for the past five ten years. But like early on, I don't feel like we hunted very hard late season just because you think I want to hunt post rut or pre rut rut post rut.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: Late seasons a great time to I mean, they're all run down, they're hungry when they're in their quarreya and they're eating, they're gonna be eating heavy.
Speaker 2: If you have food, which is what we had staying with in that food plight, I mean, yeah, you got to have everything. It helps. That helps. I mean, we don't even start planting our foodlines most time till September because we know there will be effective in uh December and January. I mean we don't. We don't start them in the spring like most people do.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that was that was awesome. That gives you a little update on our the latest stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll post a picture. I adn't posted yet, but I will.
Speaker 1: But man, getting it off of that now. Deer season's over. Depression, it's a real thing.
Speaker 2: Speaking of dear pression, I haven't I have a a.
Speaker 1: Uh call, call our DM hotline if you have depression, if you need some help. Yeah, we could get some ways. We got some ways to do crop a fishing, yeah, absolutely, or start scouting again, get in the woods, move stands.
Speaker 2: Saw a buddy of mine. This is you don't know about this, but a buddy of mine. Keep it quick. You've told me a giant deer jihnt deer.
Speaker 1: Actually, I mean I'm talking about like for years, like the past two or three years.
Speaker 2: He texted me just a picture and it was a guy with a flatbar behind the deer had been living on his property. That's tough, and he had videos of it and like had actually missed the deer in the year prior, but I felt sorry for him.
Speaker 3: I'll put you in pressure in the middle of the sea.
Speaker 2: Well, they're at the count of the Italian too. I don't know. I don't have an idea on that yet. But here's the thing. Here's the thing he asked me. He said, Hey, man, I gotta know what to do. He said, I feel like somebody just shot my dogs going through it. He said, I just want to sell the place. Be done. He's like, I don't have an another deer to hunt. How do you get back on the horse when the deer that you've been hunting for years ends up in a picture behind a dude with a flat bill. That's a good question, I thought so too. It's a good question. Was a podcast worthy honestly, because it's like he even said, I had had visions of me shooting this deer and it being so big that y'all called and interviewed me on y'all's podcast. Who's the guy that killed it? We can call him and oh, I'm sorry, would that be? But wait, he's gonna listen to that I know. I know.
Speaker 5: First off, sorry that happened to you, buddy. Yeah, that is part of it. Yeah, that is part of it. That's part of it. It's it's never happened to us. But I guarantee you there's plenty of people.
Speaker 2: Trying to think, has it ever happened to us?
Speaker 1: I've had three year olds that I was passing get shot, sure that, but not like but not like the six.
Speaker 2: Point had gotten shot by somebody flat.
Speaker 1: Beilt drove to your house and he's in the What if he's in the back of somebody else's truck in your driveway and they're like, yeah, I got this.
Speaker 3: I would say, Okay, you can. There's there's a few options to get over that.
Speaker 2: Right, you say, I'll say how I answered it. After you say you would answer, I would.
Speaker 1: Say the only way to get back on the horse is to get back on the horse and and make it a dose season, make it like fill in the freezer, dude. And and I'm just saying, like I'm just saying, I'm just saying no, I mean, bucks gets you up, but I'm saying, pull the trigger on something.
Speaker 2: He said the deer on one seventy one and.
Speaker 1: You're gonna shoot dose that's in an area that ain't No, Yeah, I'm gonna go shoot dose. I mean, what are you gonna're gonna stop hunting? Yes, okay, well then that's gonna put you even farther into the depression that you're I.
Speaker 2: Said, honestly, bro to'd be straight up honestly, and I tried to, like really process. I think I would just go, I'm kind of done with you, and I would go, I would.
Speaker 3: You'll be miserable to be around.
Speaker 2: Keep running cameras. You're gonna keep running cameras.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you want to go hunt? Man, go hunt? What go shoot dose? Go just go get back in the in the mindset of hunting.
Speaker 2: If you've got a week and a half left and your giant deer just got killed, you're telling them I gonna go shoot does a week and a half. Yeah. Yeah. Anyway, I told him what I would do. What I would do, which is the truth. I'm telling the truth. If I knew my dear was gone, that I have been hunting, is there a chance of something else walking through? There's always a course, But dude, let's be for real. I say, No, one seem to want to run around other where he's out outside of that.
Speaker 1: Also, I was going to say, just go, you know, go try to find some more land of hunt and get it off your mind completely, try to try to see something new.
Speaker 2: He did see me a picture from the back. He was back in the tree.
Speaker 3: Good for him, Good for him.
Speaker 2: Sorry, but that happened to you anyway, curious about curious about how y'all feel about that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh yeah, how about you all? Y'all dms what you would do in that situation. You're right right, that's what you were doing.
Speaker 2: I'm sure happened to other people.
Speaker 3: Oh dude, there ain't no doubt it just hadn't. Plenty of stories.
Speaker 2: Specifically happened to me. I said that to him, to us, I had this is this situation is not exactly happened to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, uh, let's get us some fan questions. What did y'all do?
Speaker 1: And we're gonna do these types of podcasts throughout the season two, like just kind of hop on here. There's no video, it's not like a legit official no guest I think y'all are kind of responding to these the same way as you are. Guest ones that we were interviewing somebody. I think you, I think you enjoy these. We enjoy doing them.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna do this throughout the year periodically and just kind of answer some some submitted stuff that that y'all have have sent us.
Speaker 1: So keep on sence sentences sending us those ciz Centacen and Centacen and.
Speaker 2: Rhythm Cinnamon buons Cinnamon.
Speaker 1: First fan question, what did y'all do to train? Maybe I'll a trail deer that's you. I did it. I looked up a bunch of YouTube that's gonna be real loud. Dude, you are the worst and your combat boots. Man, I just I watched a bunch of YouTube Oh my goodness, I watched a bunch of YouTube videos.
Speaker 3: I listened to a bunch of podcasts.
Speaker 1: We found Maybell and I'd always wanted a hunting dog and she's turned you know, she still is a hunt dog.
Speaker 3: She trailed Dan's buck the other night.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's fun. We do you even talk about it?
Speaker 3: No, because you were so selfish about your deer, But.
Speaker 1: You know, I always wanted to experience that and kind of kind of see hunting through through a dog perspective, and and man, it's been it's been awesome. She's, you know, six years old now, and she's trailed up a bunch of deer. She didn't do it a whole lot anymore. You think she's six years old, she's six or seven.
Speaker 2: She's older than that. But go ahead, No, she's not.
Speaker 3: She was born twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: Okay, she's seven years old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, twenty eighteen, twenty twenty, No, so twenty twenty five, she'll be.
Speaker 2: Seven, sure, buddy, whatever you think.
Speaker 3: Okay, May of twenty eighteen, Bro, what is that?
Speaker 2: We go go?
Speaker 1: Are you how old does that make her? Nobody wants to hear this, dude, because you're wrong, and she's I know this is a sort of subject. I don't want my dog to be old either, But she's already she.
Speaker 3: Was born than twenty eighteen. Y're an idiot.
Speaker 1: But anyway, I actually Dan hit a deer before season, uh in twenty eighteen or twenty nineteen, and uh she was she was like it was twenty eighteen because she was ten months old when I started or ten weeks old when I started training her, and and Dan.
Speaker 3: Hit a deer. I went and found it. I cut the hoods off of it.
Speaker 1: Deer when they get injured or hit or you know, have a shock to them, they put out a they've got what's it called, they've got something what is it called something on the bottom of their feet that extracts a like a scent track, that like a gland on the bottom of their foot that puts out emits that emits a.
Speaker 3: Scent. And so you.
Speaker 2: Actually try to stress right something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably, but when when when when when dogs are trailing these deer, some of them trailing blood on blood, but some of them are trailing the scent. Most of them are trailing the scent. And so I cut the foot off of a of a deer down hit with this car and and I would just you know, I trail I trained her for on that I got a think of blood and would would drag that deer leg and drop some blood and and trained her in my backyard for for I don't know a few months, and and that's kind of and then until deer season. Then I started shooting doze and you know, nothing teaches them like that and then put them in the field. But that's a that's that was her training. And it was no professional training at all or legit. It's just kind of kind of what I felt she needed, and that's what we did.
Speaker 2: Any good deer recipes? Do you have a brief high lot of what Reed's been doing. We've been doing. Read.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm making some mean jerky right now?
Speaker 2: How you doing?
Speaker 3: I'm smoking it? Uh?
Speaker 1: We have a dehydrator and and usually the jerky I made was dehydrated. But I love I've been looking on my trigger like crazy lately, and I've I've just wondered the other day, I was like, Man, I wonder and I cleaned out a freezer and found a ton of just jerky slices.
Speaker 3: We got the process or to cut a few years back and wanted to do some jerky.
Speaker 1: I love good dear jerky, and so I looked up a smoked recipe and I found a recipe online and then it kind of added my.
Speaker 3: Little flare to it.
Speaker 1: And so it's well, instead of explaining it, we'll put it in them in our social media or something.
Speaker 3: But I've been making some mean dear jerky.
Speaker 2: What states are you all turkey hunting this year? Mm hmm, Kansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, probably Kentucky, probably Kentucky. As many as our wives will allow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so probably tennessee. Uh, what is your favorite song that's been cut that wasn't a single on the radio.
Speaker 2: This is probably a time for us to get a guitar and actually a deep cut, do some sort of music. So talk about yours and I'll figure find.
Speaker 1: A deep cut that wasn't a single. I mean, I hope, I mean, I hope stick to My Guns as a single. You know, we'll see. But I love that song and it hasn't been it hadn't been released yet, but but it's probably it's probably Mine's probably uh beer band barstool man. It's cool if you go into Luke's uh Bard and the Old Wildhorse of ll inter National and down on the bottom floor, if you look to the right over a bar, there's a huge neon line that says the beer the band, the bar stool is pretty cool.
Speaker 3: But that one's that one is h that's cap o high. It's it's it's cap on up there.
Speaker 2: You don't have a capo. So I'll try to figure it out.
Speaker 3: H played the you Walk.
Speaker 2: Wars up.
Speaker 3: Mountfree Bank kicks song. It's the same old worn out bank, same old song. This wonna around telling you what he want? Bonnal l bunty O, how joan to the pig? Wonna hold up when they all let you down? Uh huh, I don't know the words.
Speaker 1: He's the best best friend friend and a better friends best best best.
Speaker 3: And the boot and hold it fool so much bang bang little bushed been a minute so I played that one.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: These things arena pick up a lot of noise.
Speaker 2: It's only because you talk about it so much song that I didn't. What's the question?
Speaker 1: Oh, what's your favorite song that has been cut that wasn't a single on the radio or.
Speaker 2: A deep go? Jeez, I can't even remember the words of my songs.
Speaker 3: Yeah either, I.
Speaker 2: Mean I like that. Uh.
Speaker 4: I'd rather be seven beer steep on a cold and cool. I'll catch it up my feeb ass and a launch floating on a breeze in the sun tracking Roley Greb. I don't rather be stuck at you. Mama's watching mid day ree ruins her fifth jamas wear and my pajama's neck deep in days of our.
Speaker 3: First one verse two mix.
Speaker 4: Oh here you mention me bigs bell faces on wrath Bee.
Speaker 3: Here's another fan question. How do you see how do you say acorn.
Speaker 2: Under that acre tree, aching acre and acorn acorn any acorns. It's kind of different. I kind of say it both ways. We didn't have any acres this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there was no acing crop.
Speaker 1: I was talking to h to our text nervous about that, and he said, obviously this is obvious, but on years where there's not an acren crop doubles his his work. Big deer getting killed all over place really just because they're coming out of the woods there. They're in the fields, in the in the eating and they gotta eat grass food any That's what I'm saying. Any goals for twenty twenty five professional, professional or personal?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I got some, but sharony no, Okay, well is that ball there?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, just has to do with you know, you know the biz, the biz biz. Yeah yeah, uh our secrets, man. I mean I just try to I want to be healthy. I want to be.
Speaker 2: Uh oh for sure.
Speaker 1: I want to do a you know, do a better job of eating a little bit better and and trying to put days on my life. I don't care about being hot or sexy. I just I just want to live longer, so uh, making better decisions, uh, and then write fifty number ones this year?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think personally, I mean, I'm I'm down, dude, I'm down two fifty five to fifty two. I'm gonna try to get down about two ten. U just been eating a lot of protein, vegetables, no fried stuff, no trash. Keep that going. Uh. I hope the podcast bows up a little more than this year. I want, we need those reviews, So leave us some fist five star reviews that would help us.
Speaker 3: Did either of y'all change when you were chasing your girls? Dan? Answer for Read and read answer for Dan.
Speaker 1: Does that mean I get to go first? Or whoever's on the back end is going to get the receiving of this? Because I know I feel like either one of us.
Speaker 2: Well, I feel like yours was different because you were already old, you know what I mean? When you were younger, sure anything ever anybody would you pop a polo. But but as an older a few VX, as an older adult, I think you.
Speaker 1: Yours were years were the turtle neck you would wear the frost tips that the turtle neck turned out.
Speaker 2: I think it's as you dated somebody, I mean, as you dated Jordan, as you you were older. You didn't really change too much on you were kind of old.
Speaker 3: I was already taken or leave it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was already kind of Do you feel like I changed my day in Hyanne? Uh No, I mean no, but I was thirty one or old, I was twenty eight or something. I feel like you change. I just feel like you're whip now. So you've changed more now that you've got when you got married than.
Speaker 2: Before you do. We you have to, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Look way less of a man. Yeah, that's it. That's all the questions.
Speaker 2: It's hard to it's hard to like take advice from somebody who hadn't killed a two hundred though, you know, like now in life. No, I just be like about like how you feel about things? Yeah, I'm sure. So maybe we can get up there and maybe then i'll about you know, Oh, will you save out a little more valid than I do? Now? It's a novice if you're not. Is there anything else we're supposed to do?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. Twenty twenty five God's Country podcast.
Speaker 2: Hey You're Alive? In twenty twenty five we.
Speaker 3: Kind of ran it on that one, but I hope you enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: Hope you like drive, Hope you thrive, Hope you survive in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: Hope you feel alive.
Speaker 2: Already said that one.
Speaker 3: Don't get cut by a knife. Reach for the sky.
Speaker 2: Oh we're just going long eyes now we're not.
Speaker 3: You've giving Oh, oh you going the ivy ibby.
Speaker 2: It was where I was. That's cool, man.
Speaker 3: Hey, we love y'all. My kid I think I hear my kids running around ustairs.
Speaker 2: Just keep you vive in twenty twenty five. Keep giving us five and twenty five and there ain't no job.
Speaker 3: And keep the vibe in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: See you later. Piece,