Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is the Players Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Barry Church, Hecma Harrison, and Newie Scruggs.
Speaker 2: Here we are. It is regular season time. Here we go.
Speaker 4: Players Lounge from the WBC podcast studio at Sir Star in frisk Go, Texas, Texas, Texas, Texas.
Speaker 2: Season is here, Ladies and gentlemen, No more.
Speaker 4: Ota men a camp all art SNAr preseason. Regular season is here. It's time to get busy. It casts for real. This is where the Ducats All Matter and the Dallas Cowboys are heading to Cleveland, Ohio, going to the land to go get it on against the Cleveland Browns. And don't go on it this time. When I go back and I'm in the parking lot, They're not gonna say OL's back.
Speaker 2: They did you like that?
Speaker 4: They thought I was our roker. That's December ninety four, December ninety four of the first Browns game. I'm in the parking lot. They thought I was al roker. Some brother needed to get on the diet.
Speaker 2: What you got from that, man, I got.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna do no laughing brother, it's funny the last I can laugh at it.
Speaker 4: So our used to work at the NBC in Cleveland before he went to Today's show. So they thought Al Roker was back and doing it in the park in the.
Speaker 2: In the tail ours back.
Speaker 6: I got, how did you you just kind of like just laughing off or it was it was just work.
Speaker 2: Did you wave back like you what's up? Brother? You're just taking it, just take it in, taking it, taking it. So I'm coming. I'll be back in the parking lot. We're gonna see if things have changed. They're gonna say they go ahead, that never happened. That wait till half. It doesn't look too good for that. Hey, hey, I know some people that would to disagree with you. Oh that. Hey, we can go forward. We can go forward to Cleveland. We got going on here.
Speaker 4: We got going Cowboys are two point underdogs in this game against these Cleveland.
Speaker 2: A lot of work to a lot of work to get to.
Speaker 4: So we as the week goes on, we got a lot of things we got to dive into. We'll make our predictions for the record for the division winners for a touchdown, pa, I can't wait to hear it. Got a whole lot we'll get fits the player of the year. How many yards was the cab? We go a whole lot to get to this week, But first let us start with the quarterback Number four, four Rain Dakota Prescott. Jerry said when he spoke to the media last week, right after he showed us the Texas Lotto scratch off game, the Cowboy fans can win, got a free one. They still need to go scratch it off. I hadn't done it yet. Don't look for a deal for dak Prescott before the season started, so we basically said so we would not, And then Clarence Clarence Ill tweeted it out, wrote a story about on his new website, don't look for a dak deal. So I'm not looking for number four contract because the owner basically said it. Clarence wrote it, I've seen no indication that number four is walking through with anything else other than what he's got right here.
Speaker 6: You good with that if I'm the organization, No, you know, I'm not good with that because I feel like, you know, the longer you wait and if you get these first couple of games under your belt without a deal done, you know, the price is just gonna go higher. But if I'm Dak Prescott, I'm looking at it like, hey man, you know, why would I go go ahead and sign now? If I'm looking for him. I mean, of course you get the securities and all that guarantee. But in my opinion, I believe, no matter what happens this season, you know, injury, God forbid it doesn't happen, but injuried all that good stuff, he's still gonna be the top, you know, paid player in the National Football League come this offseason, regardless of what happens. I mean, we just saw Kirk Cousins go down and still get the major bag. So to me, if I'm Dak Prescott, you know I feel like if you signed earlier, you're gonna leave some ducats on the table.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: Like I said, I understand, he's, you know, team guy. He wants to get it done. I understand all that.
Speaker 6: But for me, I believe if he wants to wait it out, he has a chance to be a record breaking number wise when you talk about deal.
Speaker 2: So if I'm Dak Prescott, you know I'm not in the arrest to sign it either.
Speaker 4: All right, Cowboy safety Barry Church is spoken. Heck ma Harrison bring it to his baby, not.
Speaker 5: Just well, I just feel like leverage plays into and I think that's what you're talking about, you know, the levers that he has, and whether it plays out in his favor if he waits, so he signs it now. It doesn't make any sense for the Dallas Cowboys to have their wide receiver locked up and not have their quarterback locked up.
Speaker 2: That's just two things that don't go together.
Speaker 5: Maybe I'm talking common sense, but I'm just basically saying most teams operate the other way around unless you have a rookie quarterback.
Speaker 2: But look, here's the deal. I would expect.
Speaker 5: My thing is I would expect for them to be working their butts off to get this done this week so they can put that to bed and go forward with this season, because otherwise you're gonna have that looming for the entire season. And we know how that go. The narrative will start to rewrite itself each and every game. And look at the beginning of this season, you got some tough games and for Dak this could be his opportunity because it could go either way, all right, because as you say, that, gonna get his money no matter what. All right, But what if he is abysmal in this first five six weeks of the season, what if his offensive line gets him destroyed?
Speaker 2: And you know, I.
Speaker 5: Think, I think all of those things are gonna start to play a part into the psychy of this team. And so that's gonna be to me the one thing that I'm gonna be looking to. If you get him signed, you get him done. You already know he's your quarterback for the future. So any way that those narratives go, it's not going to change, especially in the media on how you perceive that.
Speaker 2: But if you're the player, what would you do with this?
Speaker 6: That's you know, I understand what you're saying organizational wise, but if you're Dak and your Dak shoes, would you say, all right, man, let's get this thing done. Or I think Dak is In has been in a great position since he's been drafted here in the fourth round.
Speaker 2: I think they broke him off. You know, he's made a ton of money.
Speaker 5: The expectations have always been high, and he's flown somewhere under that with only two playoff wins. But he's in a good predicament here in Dallas, and that's that's just how I feel.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: If he feels like he can get sixty five million dollars and he's just gonna chill this whole season.
Speaker 2: That's fine.
Speaker 5: I completely understand that. Also, but I think the Cowboys are going to be in the running then. Also now, I don't think anything changes as far as that, but I think getting it getting it done now, to at least not have that be over your head the entire season should work best for him, because that's one less thing he has to worry about.
Speaker 4: What do players say in the locker room when they see something like it's going down there?
Speaker 6: Well, when you're in the guy like Dak's position, you know, everybody in that locker room respects him.
Speaker 2: He's one of the captains.
Speaker 6: So when you look at a guy like that, you want him or that deal to work out as best as it can for Dak. You're not really looking at, you know, organizational wise, if we get him done, we can sign this guy, we can sign that guy. You know, as a leader in that of that football room and in that locker room, guys are just saying, hey, we want this to work out for Dak, whatever way that happens. If it's you know, three years at this amount, four years at that amount, you know, the highest paying in the NFL, top three, whatever the case may be. You just want that thing to work out for Dak. For those guys in the.
Speaker 4: Locker room, he basically came out, he said, it speaks volumes that it's not done.
Speaker 2: So what's that done for?
Speaker 4: It speaks volumes.
Speaker 5: Look this argument. What I've discovered about this argument with Dak, it's twofold. Like you hear people in the media saying, you know, Dak is not an elite quarterback, but he deserves sixty five million dollars.
Speaker 2: You look at per year, all right.
Speaker 5: You look at the guys that have signed those the highest paid quarterback deals. The top five are those elite guys. No, And so the argument with Dak always goes back and forth. And like you talked about from from a locker room perspective, there's nobody that those fifty three fifty two guys respect more than number four because they've seen him put it on the line. You played with him. I mean, so you can speak to the character of the man more than anything else. And so that's why it's so confusing to me. You know, so you start asking people like, what's your deal with Dak, what's your deal with that? And it is just that you're a cowboy hater or whatever it is. But you can't take away from the numbers that say he has been amongst the elite and deserve to be paid according to that, and.
Speaker 6: He's the next guy up. I mean, look, I mean it worked out that way. You know, Trevor was a Trevor Lawrence guy fifty five, one playoff game, one playoff game, and nobody really Oh yeah, he has a talent.
Speaker 2: He has man thatk has done more in this league for a longer period of time. He's the next man up. He's it's time to get broken off. That's just how to go.
Speaker 4: Kyler Murray got forty six million. That got forty and then they put the man clause in the contract.
Speaker 5: Got the sticks, his Xbox on lock, give me the code to the box.
Speaker 2: We need you to.
Speaker 4: Actually take that iPad and open it. I mean, but that says something you're not asking. You're not hearing that about Dax. So, but when when people talk about elite, so what what I've always found amazing amongst fans is they want guys to quote unquote prove it.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's just good.
Speaker 4: That's not how this business works because if people had to prove and win super Bowls and get the Super Bowls, then people would not be paid. Justin Herbert would not have got his money from the Chargers, Trevor Lawrence would not have got his money from Jacksonville, Kyler Murray would not have his money. Guys, guys, sap. That's not how this This is not how this thing works. Okay, there's this is a marketplace, and the marketplace is what you and your agent can negotiate. Oh, by the way, what leverage do you have versus the team? A team like Jacksonville has no answer if they don't have Trevor Lawrence, so they're writing the check and go on down the line. Arizona had no let well, we're gonna pay him. Cincinnati Baltimore, who acted like they didn't want to.
Speaker 2: Pay We know what happened with who won an MVP even they came.
Speaker 4: Okay, right, you know how I feel last the last time I do they did it? They did Jalen hurts me the same thing man, same thing. This is what it is. So Jerry had the rambling press conference and played this play coin on that you're writing a check because if you don't write to check, somebody else is gonna write to check it. Then you know what kind of check you out to write? Now you gonna have to write a check to somebody you really don't know a whole heck of a lot about, because what's behind that door number two? You don't know what's coming through here?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean that's I think when you look at a team like San Francisco, right, you look at a team like San Francisco who has been built up in some kind of way, have found a way quarterback after quarterback to put a guy at the helm, to win double digits and go to a super Bowl, at least in NFC Championship because they believe.
Speaker 2: And this is.
Speaker 5: Obviously speaking to Mike McCarthy who's on one year. This doesn't kind of go together, but I'm just saying that teams believe that they can win with damn near anybody, you know, and maybe maybe playing the devil's advocate here.
Speaker 2: That's the thought process.
Speaker 5: We got the weapons, all right, we got the defense, and hey, we can find anybody to do.
Speaker 6: What you do in the thought process is definitely you know what's you know what's the alternative? Okay, we do pay him, and let's just say there's another string of four years where you're out in the first or second round.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, and you're that's your ceiling right there here you are.
Speaker 6: And then you see other teams like just go Houston for a random and they restart and they get it, you know, first round guy number one overall, pick number two, whatever he was, and he's able to you know, turn that whole franchise around.
Speaker 2: There's a formula.
Speaker 4: It's it's but you always have a chance before and and that's the thing you gotta kind of Leanya hat On if I was gonna have a chance if we go back, hekma and break down the forty nine ers in terms of the screw ups, but the cover up made it good.
Speaker 2: The first screw up is in the draft.
Speaker 4: They ended up trading with Chicago and letting them go get Mitchell Trubisky. They trade down and their first round picked is Solomon Thomas, who John Lynch said, well, you stand for God knowing, so while you took that dude, you allowed Mahomes and Watson to be drafted ten and twelve. They were hoping. Kyle was hoping that he could get Kirk Cousins when he got to San Francisco, but Cousins got that crazy money from Minnesota, so they ended up getting lucky and getting Jimmy Garoppolo. They got lucky, so you got lucky with Jimmy, ended up going into a Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: So then they're tired of Jimmy.
Speaker 4: They decided to go give up three first round picks for Trey Lance doesn't work out, ends up the seventh round pick they got with brock Purty ended up working out, so he goes to another Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Lost it like he lost with Garoppolo.
Speaker 4: But along the way, just the decision making here, the first thoughts aren't good.
Speaker 2: The cover up is good. I like that, they're getting lucky. No, I like that, and it's the cover up is mean.
Speaker 4: But at some point time you go get got, you go get got. Granted, they're living good, they're living good, they've got no championships. But the thought process. But baby, they've been wrong. Oh yeah, they've been wrong. And so except sometimes it works out for you. Hey, Dallas ended up with Tony Romo, no undrafted dude out Eastern Illinois. Worked out well for them because remember they had balletso Parcels that had ran on Quincy and had Testaverdy. Then they go get Drew and then Romo steps in and then Dak Prescott not even the first first round pick they had. You know, he was the second fourth round pick they had, I should say, the second fourth round pick. Remember remember who they went took number four?
Speaker 7: First?
Speaker 2: Uh in the fourth round?
Speaker 4: First Charles Tapper. There's a there's a trivia question.
Speaker 2: Okay. Then they went and got Dak Prescott.
Speaker 4: So sometimes you got to just get a little bit of lucky and things can fall in place for you. But you know, this ain't Bill Wall saying, hey we want Joe Montana. Hey I'm trading to receive young The Niners ain't living like that. But it works out, and that's all you gotta do sometimes is have it. Have it work out. But most of Dak Prescott not gonna sign the deal before the Browns game.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't if I'm in it either. But he's getting paid. Oh, he's getting paid. He's getting Yeah, he's getting paid.
Speaker 4: Jerry Jones will have to decide does he want to be the highest bid or does he want to lose that because I think as long as Jerry comes, Jerry's just gonna have to meet the number.
Speaker 2: I don't think.
Speaker 4: I think Dak Prescott is a quarter the quarterback of the Das Cowboys.
Speaker 6: In so with his thought precess is you know, if you're that put your shoes in, you know, Dak shoes, you're thinking, if don't come to X number, let's just say that number is sixty three. I'm gonna just wait this thing out until the highest better because you know you're gonna get the highs better, you know, once free agency hits.
Speaker 2: So unless they hit that number, I mean, it goes back.
Speaker 5: It goes back to the leverage that we already talked about. You know, you and especially if you use Kirk Cousins as the example, but you know, basically looking at it the way that you are new out and I've said this to you that like I feel like nothing short of an NFC Championship for appearance right now for Dak. I mean this is he gonna get paid, all right, that that part is gonna happen. But legacy and here you have an owner that's kind of echoing what the fan base is saying, Yeah, prove it, we want to see it. And that may not and they may not job well with people that's in the locker room, that's in the know. But at the same time, you have this bar that you've set for him and you continue to say he's not reaching it, And whether you believe in the regular season or or not in the playoffs, people look directly at that and say he can't live up to that moment. And that's the difference between the rest of those guys that we're talking about.
Speaker 4: But we say that, but that should have no ability in you signing the man to a check because some of this stuff. Now, granted Packer game he didn't play well, but that first Packer game in his first playoff run against Aaron Rodgers and Mike McCarthy, dude balled out when his fault they couldn't defense, couldn't stop for the third twenty.
Speaker 2: I was on.
Speaker 8: It.
Speaker 2: Who wasn't.
Speaker 4: I don't know it was Jeff.
Speaker 2: Jeff? Who was it? That me Ill?
Speaker 4: Okay, we're gonna take a break upon that right now.
Speaker 2: Who did it?
Speaker 4: Barry Churchech Marisonwi scrougs players. That's brought to you by Aristocrat Gaming. Right here on Dallas Cowboys dot com media.
Speaker 1: Are you the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year. The Dallas Cowboys and Captain Morgan are celebrating extraordinary, inspiring and original fans. Nominate yourself or the biggest Cowboys fan you know for a.
Speaker 2: Chance to be named the twenty twenty.
Speaker 9: Four Fan of the Year and win prizes including a trip to Super Bowl fifty nine. Visit Dallascowboys dot com slash Fan of the Year, Go Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Hey, They're Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 8: Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo Bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and.
Speaker 2: Off the reels.
Speaker 8: Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys themed casino games developed by Aristocrat, a proun sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Gambling problem, please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one eight hundred Gambler that twenty eight hundred gam b l e R for twenty one over I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapped.
Speaker 10: The press guy who looks right, it's not there.
Speaker 2: He escapes laft He'll run for a first down.
Speaker 4: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust.
Speaker 2: With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands.
Speaker 4: Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 10: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 4: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 8: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy with ball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com. Slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys Vip.
Speaker 11: To the players Lounge.
Speaker 5: The next tour is back head at AT and T Stadium on Tuesday, September tenth for a showdown between Mexican and Canadian men's national teams. Don't miss another exciting soccer match and Arlington. Tickets are on sale now at seat geek dot com, the official ticketing provider at AT and T Stadium Training Camp in Frisco.
Speaker 4: Excellent, thank you, Heck Maharrison, you're in the players lounge Bury Church from a Cowboys savernew. He shrugs, and we found out exactly what happened on last play, but we will take it to ourselves.
Speaker 2: That's beautiful.
Speaker 4: What happened in that Packer game with the en is Aaron Rodgers made sure the ending is always the same for the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Whenever he played them.
Speaker 4: Everybody dies, everyone guess yes, but that's behind us.
Speaker 2: Wow, mind us new day. Everybody.
Speaker 4: When Rodgers played the Cowboys, everybody died and every time. Yeah, I never never saw anybody live in every disappointment all the time between Aaron Rodgers, the Cowboys and the Bears.
Speaker 2: Pretty much.
Speaker 4: He got got their numbers. So with the Jets, that's so much. But we'll see exactly what he does this year. Hopefully lasts longer than the series because last year like that, all that build up had a series got hurt and it was like Bam season w then Game two Cowboys to it. So this run game, man, it was a great piece by Rick Gods on the Hall of Fame Rider about running backs after age twenty eight.
Speaker 2: It was bad, ain't very good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he got some factual, some factual knowledge and statistics document about twenty eight year old running backs in the NFL. Another way to downgrade the position. The picture of Elliott was right there.
Speaker 4: I the poster child for so he's just basically going down to twenty eight. He just basically said, you know, don't expect anythings like it's not gonna happen. The names and everything else he listed with about the Jim Browns of the world. Jim left and ended up leaving the game with EMMITTT. Smith, you know outside of an Adrian Peterson.
Speaker 2: Which is a one way Yeah, you know it is sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So, I mean Emmitt had eleven thousand yards seasons. Am I mistaken and he included Emmitt in and House so saying that.
Speaker 4: Looking at the numbers after twenty eight trying to see where where you were going to and so, and one of the premises looking at Ezekiel Ell it is to say twenty sixteen z can't coming through that door. You don't. Don't look for that player and any running back and so Dalvin Cooked the same thing. Just don't look for these guys that were the Pro Bowl players that you know, became household names at the position. Not going to happen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And to me it's a little concerning when you look at this running back room.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 6: You know, I'm not expecting, like you said, twenty sixteen Zeke or you know, twenty eighteen Cook or whenever he was with the Vikings. I'm not expecting those guys to do much. But to me, what makes it concerning is if we look at it, if you don't have a balance attack offensively, and you're the Cowboys, I mean, we've seen what happens when you know, Prescott got to throw the ball forty thirty five forty plus times. You know, the record is just not you know, as good as it is when they have that balance attack and when I look at the backfield, Yes, you got some guys that can protect the quarterback, that can pick up some glizzes. But you know, do you have a guy that's dynamic out of the backfield. You got a guy that you can throw a screen too, and maybe he can take it, you know, fifty forty yards, whatever the case may be. To me, when I look back there, I mean, you got some guys that are great in short yarded situation, can punch the ball into the goal line, which they did struggle with last year. But they can punch the ball into the goal line or maybe pick you up a third and two, third and three, but more than likely it's gonna be three yards in.
Speaker 2: A cloud of dust.
Speaker 6: And if that keeps the defense honest and cool, I'm okay with it. But I just don't see teams after the first couple of weeks saying, man, we got to respect this run. We got to have an extra guy in the box to make sure that Zeke doesn't pop a big one or Cooker, you know, daw will pops a big one. I think a lot of defenses are going to play the Cowboys, you know, top to bottom, they're gonna have a lot of guys in the secondary fogging up those windows because they feel like they can stop the run with those light boxes. Now it's up to Zeke and those boys didn't prove prove the defense is wrong. But to me, it's slightly concerning because when you look at the numbers, I mean, thirty five plus passing attempts for Prescott.
Speaker 2: It's just it's not that good.
Speaker 5: And that's I think wise, yeah, record, that's what you what you just pointed out, I think is where my concern is is in the type of how do you scheme it up to stop the run and how do you scheme it up to stop the pass? You know what Ceedee Lamb is gonna do, and I guess we'll talk about it this week. You know what what can be his ceiling? Ceedee Lamb's ceiling this this year. And if you just go back to last year, the Dallas Cowboys did were not effective in their running game, but yet they led the league in points.
Speaker 2: And so it's conflict.
Speaker 5: Like the conflict in that argument is you've shown you have time, roof and consistency that look, we can still get it done offensively without this running game that you think will only consist in three years in cloud of dust, because that's what Tony Pollard averaged last season as a running back. So look, fifty nine yards a game will give you a thousand yards as a rusher, right, And so our expectation of this running back room is a running back pot committee. We're gonna get a different piece from each one of those dudes. And that's why we talked about Dalvin Cook at length when we signed him. What can he add to this that Rico Dado can't add to this and Ezekiel Elliott can add. I mean, you go red zone, you go protection, you go breaking off those zone runs, and the whole thing is about making those defenses sit at bay because, as you know, as a safety, if we can toy with you bring guys to the line of scrimmage and then bel out at the last minute trying to fog up those windows as you're talking about, I can make life difficult for you all day long. But that's what they did all year, all season last year, you know, And so Dak was still had that success. And I think that in Mike McCarthy's second season as an offen as a coordinator, calling as a play caller, you'll see a lot more of that, and then I still think you'll be able to mix it in even with some of those runs from your wide receiver also, So that's what I'm looking That's what I'm looking for. They're going to have to be very creative in the run this season.
Speaker 2: So when you talk.
Speaker 4: About the points and how many they scored a lot of points, but then we also know, yeah, you ran up on the Giants, but what do you do against the Bills and what kind of points were you putting up against the night That was kind of the thing las year when people talked about the Cowboys say, hey, look, you know they're getting fat against bad teams, run up on the Jets, but what are you doing against the good teams? That's kind of been that mo for the cow was really the last two years of just what they've been able to do. Here's a little bit for Rick goslin Broke. He says, there are talking about running backs at the age of twenty eight going downhill. He says there are exceptions, of course, Essentially the Hall of Fame quality runners like John Reagan's and John Henry Johnson managed one thousand yard rushing seasons at the age of thirty five, Franco Harrison Adrian Peterson rush for their final one thousand yard seasons at thirty three, Sam Smith and Walter Payton gained their final one thousand yards at thirty two. Tony dor Set Curtis Martin posted their final one thousand yard seasons at thirty one, and Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas did it for the final time at thirty. Hall of famers Jim Brown, O. J. Simpson, Eric Dickerson, Jim Taylor, Ladanion Thomas and Egrin James, Floyd Little and Jerome Bettis all rushed for one thousand yards at the age of twenty nine and never again. And the same thing with pass rushing champions Jamal Lewis and Lashaw McCoy did it at twenty nine and never did it again. Hall of Famer Earl Campbell Marshall Fault rushed for one thousand yards at the age of twenty eight, as did their past NFL rushing champion George Rogers, Shawn Alexander, Chris Johnson, DeMarco Murray none ever hit one thousand yards again. The same with Marshawn Lynch twenty eight and never again.
Speaker 5: Never say nothing, No, I got you. Yeah, those are a bunch of great names. First of all, I mean, look at who you're talking about. You're not talking about just running the mill running backs. You're talking about guys who did it at a high level in this game, and everybody respect when you bring up their name, and so look it's I don't, I don't. My expectation for Ezekiel Elliott is not a thousand yards this season. I think my expectation comes down to three guys being able to pull all the way. And then there may be matchups where you say, I can exploit this matchup with this running back because of this running style, and that's because you have three of them.
Speaker 4: Now, is that gonna be advantageous in the future, I don't think.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 5: You're gonna have to finally find a guy that's gonna be your bell cal running back.
Speaker 2: But it's gonna be by committee. This season.
Speaker 5: We keep saying it, I mean, and they keep proving that that's what they're gonna come out with.
Speaker 6: And my only thing is, you know, when you look at these running backs, they're all extremely similar. I mean, you have three different backs, but do you have a guy that's dynamic outside of you know, in between the tackles, like Dalvin cookies it in between the tackles, Zeke, in between the tackle?
Speaker 2: What would you what would you call dat?
Speaker 5: But you know what you said that before and not in the I didn't disagree with the first time you say it. But I just don't see Zeke and Dalvin as the same guy. I think Dalvin has a little bit more speed on the edge then I would see Zeke.
Speaker 2: You know, I separate them, but tough inside runner.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think I agree, but I see two different guys when I think of Dalvin Cook and Ezekiel Elliott.
Speaker 2: You know, who would you say.
Speaker 4: Has more more yards against the Browns, more total yards against the Browns?
Speaker 5: Dalvin Cook or without knowing that I'm gonna take Zeke. Yeah, I haven't got a got.
Speaker 6: I'm not sure Cook is gonna play much that I'm gonna go Zeke, though.
Speaker 2: Who is it? Give me cook?
Speaker 4: Hmhmm, give me some cook.
Speaker 2: He's cooking, be active, that's it. I don't know if he's If he is, you feel like, okay, look cook man, I'm gonna say this guy, this guy handsome, I let's go ye, It's all good. I mean, I just you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: That's one where time proofing consistency. He knows the offense might trust himself right out of the gate. You know you go with I would say you would go with somebody that you trust and know, and then Dalvin's got to go ahead and start to prove himself a little bit here.
Speaker 5: You're missed, dude, what is gonna don't.
Speaker 4: Don't don't sleep on sleep on My God. I'm sorry, I'm holding I'm holding it back. I want expectations from you from Hunter Lipkey.
Speaker 2: Well want game one?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What you got Yeah, buggie shuffle. We're gonna be out there. You number one on the fan club the president.
Speaker 4: Look simply say this. Don't be surprised that the man make the probo.
Speaker 2: Ducked. So whether it's Game one work works, just be clucking yes this man. Don't let Kyle get hurt. We got well. I'm telling you new Strug the ill Illes.
Speaker 4: I remember being laughed at on this podcast several times over things.
Speaker 2: This is different.
Speaker 5: This is different, this, this is different different, This is differently, this is different.
Speaker 2: Week one we got it. Week one OL Boogie.
Speaker 4: Week one OL Boogie gives some time, a little bit all but he's gonna play. He's gonna play.
Speaker 2: He's gonna play. That's what That's what we got.
Speaker 4: Right I mean, right now, right now, I'm scared for all these running backs with a left tackle that's making a start against Miles Garrett and a rookie center Jim Schwartz. I'm worried about this team right now. Tell you, right now, I am worried for it. Yes, heck, I am worried for this Cowboys team. I don't know what to expect from the offensive line from up both lines, D line. Okay, let's take a break getting this run defense. I'm not feeling good about this. I'm not feeling good, and I know Nick Chubb's down here. You got your boil inval Joseph you were talking about. Come on, you got the chef, the carpenter and his tools.
Speaker 2: Too old.
Speaker 5: I can't wait till we picked. I already know BC's but not an eight. Yeah, I know you have.
Speaker 4: I'm out there already, Morning News, put my stuff out there already. So let's take our break. Let's get back in this run defense. Since you let's see what you sold one Harrison Barry Church players line brought you by Arrest Gaming Right Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 12: If you kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bold, unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo Boss, at Hugo Boss dot com and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 7: I'm Cowboys alumni Danny mccraig here with Smoothie King, asking what's that sound. That's the sound of me sipping one of their Powerpacksmoothies with over ten grams of protein with real fruits and organic veggies.
Speaker 2: Because it's Smoothie King, what you see is what you sip.
Speaker 7: So grab a delicious Smoothieking smoothie, throw a straw in your jaw. It gets sipping real Smoothie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Hey, their Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 8: Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo. Bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and off the reels, Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys themed casino games developed by Aristocrat, A Proun sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Gambling problem Please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one eight hundred Gambler that's one eight hundred gam b l e R for twenty one over.
Speaker 10: Raising Caines presents the other rules of football. Rule one, any broadcast without the express edition of cook to order Cane's chicken fingers is prohibited. Rule twelve, no crinkle cut fries, Texas toast or cravable cane sauce constitutes an illegal formation. And Rule thirty one anybody who loves to feed their game face is an eligible receiver of Canes when it comes to winning game day. Caines rules Raising Canes Chicken Fingers one love Go Cowboys.
Speaker 11: To the players Lounge.
Speaker 5: Are you the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboy Fan of the Year. The Dallas Cowboys and Captain Morgan Morgan are celebrating a extraordinary and inspiring and original for fans. Nominate yourself for the biggest Cowboy fan you know for a chance to be named the twenty twenty four Fan of the Year and win prizes including a trip to Super Bowl fifty nine. Visit Dallascowboys dot Com slash Fan of the Year, Go Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Heck Maharrison in the house, Barry Churchill, Cowboys Safety. I have newly scrugs.
Speaker 4: So just in case the new folks, the players players players lounge don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I have come out.
Speaker 7: My name.
Speaker 2: So you get the snickers.
Speaker 4: That was too much of a pregnant fall. So let me know right now on the record that I am not only believing in Hunter Lipkey. Yes, this man.
Speaker 2: Might make the Pro Bowl. No, no, no, Kyle checking is hurt.
Speaker 5: Were talking about some bites now, man, Okay, if believe it, I believe, Throw your sleeves up so I can see how much hoping you've been on.
Speaker 4: Mike ain't going down without his full back like John Coop may MAKEE John come the same thing.
Speaker 13: Man.
Speaker 2: Let's just say, get his opportunities. Get his opportunity gonna be up in there he might make it. You was. I still believe. I believe. I believe.
Speaker 4: I believe, like I believed that Joe Burrow was better than Justin Herbert, and I was right.
Speaker 2: But you us back behind you on that one. You fought me in Burrow way to the super Bowl. So I a pro bowler or that I told you? Answer the question how many week one won't give us the week? This is you? This is your cod defended, right, Chris. How many Pro Bowl fullbacks do they take?
Speaker 11: One?
Speaker 2: Or two? One? One? Okay? If it's just one, it will be Kyle Houston. He ain't going right now, go ahead. The super Bowls, in the super Bowls, in the super Bowl, and it's not if caylus check is in the super Bowl. Don't know. It don't work like that. It don't work like that.
Speaker 4: Because because we know this reputation thing works for people. You know, like it's gonna be hard to replace that mark. You know this, You know that the thing you're hard up in here you could be deserving, but the reputations get there. So so I do have that as a legitimate thing. But I'm just telling you, man, Mike McCarthy, another Pro Bowl, I feelix you too, just telling you that, I mean.
Speaker 8: Not all teams have a fullback on the rosters exactly.
Speaker 5: I'm just like, he's playing, thank you, Chris, You Chris playing the numbers.
Speaker 2: He knows what, Chris.
Speaker 5: There's only one other fullback in the now limited compass.
Speaker 2: That's who he's competing off. Listen. He's not walking out on the limb on this one at all. That's what said.
Speaker 4: If Cayle is hurt, he's your man's straight in. The other guy that do it. This is the guy you go with carries on the year.
Speaker 5: Look at the end of the day, at the end of the day, if L Buggie has success, what does that mean? That means team success. So I'm gonna go with that, all right. But I just I'm not going with what no no, no, no, no no whoa whoa, whoa No, that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying, I'm good, I'm off, I'm off. I'll be back on on Sunday. Yeah, Tack, Yes, I'm not gonna do it. It's not gonna happen. Come this way, I got I got my other fixes over here. Man, let's get into him up the middle.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, so the twenty hold a lucky running past the safety.
Speaker 2: All this laughing and snickering. Okay, thirty eight p m. Laughter, let's go. Let's go take carries this game? What baby?
Speaker 4: Okay be signed by Look.
Speaker 2: Okay, brash Honda left me. Oh my god, turn on five, he said, They laughing. I've never seen speed tear the ankles up. Man. Man, now they happening. Man, it's all good. He lift you okay, man, good, that's somebody that run defense. You sold, Joseph, Yeah, I think you gotte.
Speaker 5: You have to get an answer for Mozzie Smith immediately as far as a rotational piece, and I think Linvell lin Valt Joseph is going to fall into that nicely. At least I hope he does. At least I hope you at least look, no need Look, this is what I need. This is what I need from Joseph. I only need him to be a two gap. Plug him up. Okay, let my man Eric Kendricks run sideline. The sideline. The way that this defense works is when your linebackers can get down here.
Speaker 2: That's it. Okay.
Speaker 5: And if Mozzie Smith cannot hold that for four quarters, at least now you have a piece in and that's why you bring in the other guy, Phillips. Also, Phillips is known one but also better known as a three. But you got really now three legitimate one techniques that you can rotate in and out. You gotta stop the run, you know, first of all, Cleveland's first game, you're gonna have to stop the run. No matter who Stefanski has back that he's gonna give you a healthy dose of that running back.
Speaker 4: So how many players do you think lyn Bell Joseph's gonna give me.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with legit.
Speaker 5: I think he could give you at least ten, and that's gonna be enough to.
Speaker 2: Run the ball.
Speaker 5: Yeah, look, I against the team's gonna run and throw the ball. I'm telling you ten.
Speaker 4: They running thirty times, at least thirty.
Speaker 5: So, like I said, I put Phillips in there as well. I put Zsi Smith in there as well. I'm not asking for this guy to go out there and play twenty snaps.
Speaker 2: Would you asked Linval Joseph to give you.
Speaker 6: That's what I'm worried, because if Limbal could give you at least fifteen.
Speaker 2: You might have a slight chance. But I just don't see limval giving you.
Speaker 6: Maybe maybe maybe he gives you eight snaps, but four team the ball team that's gonna run the ball at least thirty something. Even if this was midway through the season and he was ramped up and ready to go, all right, maybe, but to start the season off, you know, age thirty six, you know ten, ten fifty.
Speaker 5: Man, I really thought that was being conservative and that was that was gonna go overwhelm.
Speaker 2: I really did.
Speaker 5: I really I misjudged that one because I had that I thought that was pretty good to.
Speaker 2: Say that he would be training camp, like, yeah.
Speaker 4: He gonna come into Where did they put the oxygen outside?
Speaker 2: Oh it's right behind it, right the tank, right behind the bench. Yeah, reach around. Not sure. I do livall like that, man, Do not don't do him like that. Man, I'm just saying, has he had a training camp? Was he He was not? Because he wasn't with Dallas danking that's.
Speaker 13: Ball.
Speaker 2: I got oxygen tap is helping.
Speaker 5: If no, no in there, Hey, don't don't get him in there. No quick offense does nothing bring him my call of time. I get him off the field. Come on, ten snaps, ten I got ten, I got ten for the big fella, because hey, Mozzi man, nobody, nobody has a.
Speaker 2: Hotter seat than Mozzi Smith.
Speaker 5: Right, nobody has a hotter seat than Mozzi Smith.
Speaker 2: And he has to show you.
Speaker 5: And so he's going to give you a full simple size. I love to get a full sample size for you to be able to make a judgment on whether he could do this job or not. And so I'm not asking for the linval Joseph to be a major piece in this defense.
Speaker 2: The piece it got to be Kendricks. You mentioned it. He's got to be that guy. And the only thing that I worry about with Kendrick can he do that for you know, eight games?
Speaker 6: Sure, he could be one of the best linebackers in the National Football League for eight games, But as we've seen these past couple of years, does he have a durability to go seventeen?
Speaker 2: And we all understand the season is a long season.
Speaker 13: Not a tall guy either, never has been in locker room. Yeah, but if he's out there, you know Clark.
Speaker 4: Is Yeah, So tennaps, ten snaps for Joseph.
Speaker 5: What you got, Phillips, that man, you're asking the mighty lie. I'm gonna go ten for him too.
Speaker 2: That's that's twenty twenty twenty aging snaps.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's twenty right there. Mozzie gotta give me twenty. Mozzie gotta come on now, y'all. Listen, y'all, he's your first round drift pick. What are you gonna throw them away?
Speaker 2: You can't do?
Speaker 5: Come on now, at least you gotta show you at least a flash or something. We've been we've been talking about this rotation since the beginning, and we knew that we had to just comb other rosters to find somebody to come in here and back this guy up. We didn't feel like we had it on this roster previous. So you get lin Val Joseph in here, and my question is what kind of what kind of impact can lin Val Joseph have on Mazzie Smith if nothing else? If nothing else, because we got we gotta have a run stuffer, otherwise we just running back what we did last season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, better hope the turnovers are coming. Oh that's cosmetic.
Speaker 5: All that's cosmetic, because if you're not getting turnovers and you're not getting sacks, then what you're just the average defense? Right, And so we can't we can't. We can't have that part. What we have to do is stop the run. That's why you brought in Mike Zimmer as a defensive coordinator to stop the run, because that's his in moom.
Speaker 4: Ain't a magician. Got needs some help. Right now, we'll see what the reinforcements do. So we'll continue this as we go forward. This week Cowboys Browns Game one in Cleveland, Ohioick I forgot cool, I forgot about and they got the guy from.
Speaker 5: Denver, right, Jerry, Jerry Judy. They got Jerry Judy. Yeah, they got some there they got in Alabama.
Speaker 2: No, it was over the.
Speaker 5: Cook and Joe cool. Squad got a squad defense.
Speaker 4: To all that, you're still picking the Cowboys? Come fright, man, come on, be interesting.
Speaker 2: Come on, who you picking? Who you picking? That's I want to know. You're pretty honest. Now you're picking the Cowboys. You pick it.
Speaker 5: I can see it on you now, a loud of yourself. You already put you well, you didn't put your picks out there like that.
Speaker 2: You just put.
Speaker 5: Overall I gotta do. Oh you could play a rec that's the thing. Are we going to go game? But when we pick, are we gonna do like we did last year. Game the pick, Yeah, the pin gotta be in.
Speaker 2: With Chris Beane. You had Chris Bean last year. Put that on me. Chris Bean was here.
Speaker 5: Last But I'm saying we're gonna do the same thing that we did last year. We went through the season and we picked every game. So then you can't whatever you want to have that record. I'm just saying, I don't want you to be able to fudge on that. I don't want you to be whatever makes you feel okay, I mean, I go either way.
Speaker 2: You said we go for it.
Speaker 4: You got seventeen sixteen sixteen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're gonna have a good season, y'all. We're gonna have look at what this is. My man, my man, let's come there there, y'all.
Speaker 2: Out of this tomorrow. Missy's affordable.
Speaker 4: It's tomorrow to be at a simple time right here playing side way.
Speaker 2: Heckmy Harrison, Mary Church, I knew he strugg goodbye.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.