Speaker 1: If you live by your standards and you treat everyone with love and respect, that's the best way to longevity.
Speaker 2: Good evening and welcome to Midnight Chat, the music interview podcast for late night listening. I'm Stuart Stubbs and I'm Great Cochrane and on tonight's show, Greg is an old friend of yours. It's Joe Tolbert, the lead singer from Idols.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Joe's the singer of the band and a rare returning guest because Joe was last on the podcast in twenty twenty in the middle of the COVID nineteen pandemic. That's episode ninety four for anyone who wants to get back and check it out.
Speaker 2: I've heard this episode Greg, obviously, and it's great. It's very It's a deep one. I was quite jealous because You've got to go to Joe's house and I love snooping around guests houses.
Speaker 4: What was it like? What was his house like?
Speaker 2: And how how was the whole thing because it is, as I say, it's quite a deep conversation.
Speaker 1: List.
Speaker 3: Yeah, his place is very stylish. So Joe lives in an apartment in Bristol here in the UK. I went to see him right at the very end of twenty twenty three. It's just before Christmas. He'd actually been to see his daughter's Nativity play that morning. And you're right, it is quite a deep chat, and I think that's why a lot of people really resonate and get and like Joe. He's very candid talking about things like parenthood and mental health, addiction, and politics and the general state of the world. And yeah, I'd love to know what people make of this.
Speaker 2: If you're new to us here at Midnight Chats, please do give us a follow, give us a like, give us a nice positive review. Mainly though, tell a friend. That's the best thing you can do right now, help spread the word of what Midnight Chats is. Before we get into this, Greg, there's two things I need from you. Tell me how good the new Idle's album is.
Speaker 3: The New Idol's album is very good. It's called Tank and it's available everywhere now excellent.
Speaker 2: And the other thing is there was a few things so we just needed to clear up.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So well, first one's a bit of a warning. Joe loves a swear word, so if you're sensitive to those, this is just your official heads up. The Nigel that he mentioned in this chat is Nigel Godrich, the producer for the likes of Radiohead in the past. And Kenny that he mentions is the songwriter and producer Kenny Beats. And the final thing is that the afgang if you're not familiar with that, that's the band's fan community. Hopefully that clears those things up for anybody listening.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much, Greg, I feel ready for this now.
Speaker 3: This is Joe Tolbert from Idols on Midnight Chats.
Speaker 4: Joe, welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 3: So good to have you on Midnight Chats again, and thanks for inviting us to your house. I mean your hospitality is exception so far. We've got coffee, We've got biscuits.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Thanks.
Speaker 4: I feel like you've pushed the boat out a bit.
Speaker 1: Well. You know, if someone comes into your home and you haven't got biscuits, what home is that? No? Yeah, I am, yeah, but I don't know you taught me that. Someone recently is like, you've got to always have biscuits. I guess, yeah, I know, I know.
Speaker 3: I think it's true. First things first, how are you doing? How things really good? Yeah? I've been through it a bit recently.
Speaker 1: Mental health wise, not not too recent, maybe a month ago. I was a bit I've been sober for a while and like, I don't know, it's just things hit you, you know, And so I was I was going for it, but and then coming out of it, I started therapy again, and coming out of it was like a huge revelation for me, more than normal. So yeah, I'm good, I'm stable, and you know, I'm very excited for this new album Tank and my kid is very healthy and happy and started school and I've got to spend a lot of good time with that and the band. I think we're all hungry for a new tour, a different show and new songs and a challenge. You can only go so far with a tour where it almost becomes too easy. And I mean that in the best way possible. It's the best thing in the world. As I've always said, not apologies, it gets easy, and we don't like that. We're like a challenge and we want to keep moving forward and getting better and we're really good at what we do, so we want to be not as good, so we've got something to work towards.
Speaker 4: I remember last time we came on the podcast, we were still.
Speaker 3: In that weird mode where we were all coming out of COVID and we were talking about you rehearsing for the Abbey Road live stream, and so there weren't any there weren't any shows on the calendar at that point. Yeah, I know that's rewinding a bit, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I just remember how terrible they were. I really we were rusty, it was they were bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if it's if it's not too much of a kind of invasive question to start with, you know, you kind of raised it there, Like you and I have spoke quite a few times over the years, and you've had those periods where like you've had moments where that you've found things particularly difficult and they've been triggered by different things and you've kind of like found pathways through it, and you've always been super transparent about that and people very much relate to that. Have you got kinder on yourself over the last few years when you know those those periods are coming, and like, having been through it a few times, do you you.
Speaker 4: Know is it is?
Speaker 1: It? Is? It?
Speaker 4: Does it continue to be hard every time?
Speaker 1: And yeah, not it gets I don't know, it doesn't get easier. But I'm lucky. I'm very lucky. I'm privileged in more than one way. You know, I'm financially sound, I've got my health, and I've got support network of people it will listen and guide. I've got my dream job. I traveled a well with my mates. I just said, yeah, I had a few problems recently, and I just had to solve them. It gets easier. I'm kinder to myself, yes, but maybe I wasn't that unkind really other than the obvious self abuse, but I'm kinder to others. What I've learned in the past four years of being a father is that if you approach life with empathy, you get more out of it. So with that in mind, I approach things with empathy. I'm a lot more patient. I'm a lot kinder. I think I'm really just learning to be vulnerable, practicing what I've been talking about, and it just takes a long time. These things don't happen over night. And I've been learning a long time, and I'm in a flux. I've realizing just how much I have to learn, and that's beautiful and exciting. So I'm very grateful that I've had an audience that have allowed us to learn slowly.
Speaker 3: We're going to talk a lot about what's to come throughout twenty twenty four. So many exciting things coming up, including a new album. But I just want to do a very brief and quick kind of rewind on twenty twenty three, because obviously you've been making a new album, but you have been doing some other things.
Speaker 4: One of the big things last summer was.
Speaker 3: He played a show in London with Jamie T at the Park, amongst others. What have some of the stand up moments of this year been for you?
Speaker 1: Personal things? Really a few really transitional moments of enlightenment in terms of what I want to do, where I want to be in life, and how I'm going to get there. There's a lightness with this album campaign where I really truly don't give a fuck what other people say or think about it. And that's not because I don't care. I care more than I ever have, but about the right thing, and that's being present within myself and how that music makes me feel and how fucking magic is going to be to play it. The Jamie T show was beautiful because I got to see Jamie T and seeing someone almost come out of a cocoon and become this beautiful, vibrant human being on stage. It was a really lovely thing to see. And I think when you see your friends succeed, that's a Freuda and Frida drop there, But seeing other people succeed, it's a very uplifting feeling when you give a shit. So that was good.
Speaker 4: Willie j.
Speaker 3: Healy and Jamie T and yourself. There's been talk of doing something together. As we're talking about Jamie this is is that going to come into being at some point? Yeah, it's a soul record, right, it was a soul group and make some soul songs.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, Willie and I have met up started writing stuff. Obviously, we hang out every week when we're both in town, ride our bikes together and stuff and do other things. But we're busy. I want to call the project Perils Pedios, which means lost Dogs. I don't think they know that. I was like, that's a sick name. That is good, and then like all our merchants that could be like lost dog posters sick.
Speaker 4: Right yeah, big time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So yeah, we've got ideas well. I was at Jamie's house quite a while ago now and were talking about sampling and sampling this tune I love, and he just fucking got it up on YouTube, chucked it on his like sample pad, and we were like, this has got happen now. I think because we're all very different versions of the same beast, which is that we we're very different people. Obviously, all three of us, we're an odd trio, but we have the same intention and we have a lot of love, and we all connect with soul music. So I think it would just be a great project to do, even just for ourselves if it doesn't come out. But yeah, it excites me that idea, but then a lot of musical ideas excite me at the moment thinking about you know, I want to do a noise project techno thing with Bobo. Sorry, I'm gonna stop calling Bobo. It makes my shit. It's when I hear someone else calling it, so I don't know why I do, but when So, yeah, we're there's plenty coming.
Speaker 3: Sticking on this year, and things have happened this year. Briefly, you're in the States, you played run of shows with LCD sound System, and then obviously James and Nancy Wang appeared on Dancer that sounds like the stuff of dreams obviously to get to play with them and then to get to collaborate with them. What did you take away from that experience of like being with them on the road, seeing them play, speaking to them, collaborating with them. Was there anything that you took away from that experience that you're going to kind of take into the future if you like?
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Yeah. The first thing I'd say is as a touring company, they're doing it perfectly. They do the right amount of shows in the right venues. Everyone, everyone on that team that tour together, band crew, everyone loves it because they're treated with respect, they're treated well, they're treated with comfort, and they're a family and it's beautiful to see. And we joined them on a tour and they treated us like family and it was it was one of it's probably the best tour I've ever done. It was fucking magic.
Speaker 4: Did you watch them every night?
Speaker 1: No? No, no, no, no, no no. I didn't see I've probably missed like one or two shows, but I watched the most nights. I normally watched the first and the last show of the support act. I don't want to.
Speaker 3: Overkill that's going to say, Yeah, that must be a small that's this difficult one to land. That, isn't it When you go and talk with a band that you love, the kind of the temptation must be to watch them every night. But like you say, you could overkill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they are phenomenal life and they're like us. There is no they have this they you know, they didn't divert from the set list, but they you know, the nuances and the fluctuations to speak are there. So it changes every night and it's great to see. My foot thing is that I don't I get bored easily, and I don't like being bored because the board are boring. As my mum always said. So if I'm watching the support band, I don't. I don't watch it much because I've picked them because I love them every support band we've ever had. That's why next year it's going to be a nightmare to pick them. They to choose from. Yeah that I love you that I've already put themselves forward. I don't enjoy it, but yeah, so watching them was great, the incredible, incredible life band and watching their basis who got ill and had to leave the tour. They're more pitching and theyve included played a few songs every night, which was a dream in itself. Like, you know, I've known that guy since he was sixteen. He was this bean pole with weird blonde hair and banging to speed and like we fell in love, you know. And to see this very insecure man end up on a stage playing with his favorite band was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. So that was cool. There's a lot of good things happened there, and it taught me that if you live by your standards and you treat everyone with love and respect, that's the best way to longevity because you'll come out of it sleeping well at night, as well as still doing what you love.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, straight out of the gate.
Speaker 3: I want to say that I think Tank is my favorite Idols album, and that's not good because I'm here, sat with you now and you've made me a lovely cup of coffee and given me a biscuit and show.
Speaker 4: Me your lovely Christmas tree.
Speaker 3: It genuinely is amazing, and I cannot wait to be in a field next summer to just dance my lap side after that record, and it's got me really really excited about next year and it's got me really excited about music. In terms of the where you were at when you were writing this album, your kind of headspace, your mindset. It was clearly a shift from when you were writing the material for Crawler.
Speaker 1: I was a lot more uncomfortable this time around. I was out my comfort zone. IELs you know and Kenny are both very they're vehemently against laziness, lackluster approaches. I mean, you know, it wasn't a challenge for them to get to get up. For us, we're very fucking driven and we don't like to sit around and do the easy option, and we like challenges. Every album, we've set ourselves a theme and a palette and you know, and a sense that we have to move forward in order to succeed, you know. But with this record, it was like we you know, we're more and more privileged because there are fucking increments to this game. Suddenly you're getting paid ten times more, you're spending ten times more on your tools, You've got more time to record. Because you have more money, you can go to your heroes and ask them to work, and with that comes gratitude. That gratitude comes a sense of hard work that's how you show you're grateful by challenging yourself, moving forward, breaking things down and putting yourself to work. And like, that's the most exciting bit of our job. It's that bit when you're really fucking changing things, breaking things down and moving forward. So this record was like the most that because we had three weeks in the studio instead of two and we were working with two of our favorite producers on the planet. You've got to make that work, man. I came at it with insecurity, so I didn't know if I was quite good enough for the writing process. I wrote a bunch of songs in the room with the boys in Bristol without Boeing, but they didn't really feel like there was this exciting, transgressive thing behind them that I wanted it to be. And I set this thing in my head where I was going to write lyrics before I went to the booth, because I did half the albums in the booth before that, Whereas I felt like, no, these songs deserve to be written before and really work at it because I might be missing out on something, do you know what I mean? Like I might have written a better song if I had spent a month on it. And it's that's bollocks. And I realized that late I was like, I didn't write a single word because I was busy writing the music, you know, I was writing the music with buying in London, in Nysall Studio in Brixton. And then it just got to a point where I was just like confused. I don't like displacement. I like all my ducks in a row. I like knowing where all my tools are alone, where the exit is. And I like, you know, carrying a knife just so I can open the packet myself and see what's inside. Do you know what I mean? Under three inches half? I think it's too But anyway, like, I wasn't comfortable and it took me a while to realize that that's the point. But it was, you know, it was. It was great. It was the most fruitful, the most learning I've done and I've now, I mean in terms of mental health and where I'm at in life. Flack I was not same as I was a crawler man. Like I was sober then, I'm sober now. I was drinking and doing drugs in between. I have a sense of excitement and sense that I have a new perspective in our potential now, I'm sober, sober, and and I understand we have way more potential than we did before. And that's because of the two. And Bowen produced the record as well, but I have to have a different relationship with him than I do to Kenny and Nigel. But with those two, they really forced us to challenge ourselves.
Speaker 3: When you talk about potential for the band, like calling back to like when I first met you and we came to Bristol and we walked around the sort of landmarks that meant a lot to the band at that point, that the flat that you lived in with Dev, the pub that you worked in whilst you were doing your first rehearsals, like the rehearsal space that you shared with the other Bristol bands and things like that. What then you probably had a very different idea to like what the purpose and the potential of the band was to what you do now. So when you talk about purpose and potential of the band now, what do you think of.
Speaker 1: Well, in terms of like why I started the band, it's exactly the same as it was then.
Speaker 4: Twelve years ago, no longer, yeah fo yeah.
Speaker 1: Whenever I started the band My intentions were to have something that was a channel or a bridge towards the universe and feeling connected with a people, to feel like I was safe in arms of something much greater than myself. That's always been the same and it's the same today. What's changed is our musical potential. You know, I'm writing way more songs now than I was ultremonto, you know, because I realized that I can, like there's not a gatekeeping in music and art, you know, and that's often within you know, it's within yourself. You gatekeep yourself. You know, you can't do that imposter syndrome. I don't have that really anymore. I just know that I've got a lot of work to do it for I want to be what I want to be is and you know, I've just got timing well in between school drops ship. But yeah, like I'm physically a lot fitter and stronger, which helps the potential it's musical. I want to achieve what my hero has achieved. There was a point, you know, where I found a channel to go down musically with the first two records, and then I realized that there's so many other facets to me as a human being. That I want to express. So I got to kind of burn that effigy of what everyone's made of idols in order to start again. We did that, and now we can do whatever the fuck we want.
Speaker 3: On this album, Tank, like I can hear the development of you on it, Like I think there are a few moments where I was like, Wow, Joe's doing something new there, always pushing himself. And the one that was standing out to me was there's a track called roy and on there, I think like your vocal performance for me was like really reminiscent of some of the great rock and roll singers like Hamilton Nighthouser, who I know you're a fan of Eddie Vedder. Those are the things that I was hearing in that song, and so I wondered if you felt like you push yourself further than ever before vocally on this absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that was my intention way before the album started from Crawler really, because you know, Kenny, Kenny comes from a place of ace his perspective as a student, but within that, you know, he's a fucking teacher, you know what I mean. He's incredible at what he does. He's just amazing, And you know, you've got to be a servant to the song, you know, and like, if I'm going about it, the reason why I kept shouting is because I was scared to sing, and that's not doing a song justice every time. Some deserve violence and some deserve grace. And that's where I'm at, you know. And I learned that from being given that time in the pandemic to really listen to myself. Do you know what I mean? That was just it like I had loads of time my mind so and I wasn't gonna waste it.
Speaker 3: And there's two songs I want to talk about that I thought my interpretation you might well be wrong on this, but I'd love to hear your thoughts of kind of there's all of love songs, but in a very different way. One is gospel and the other one is all the notes because they're sort of they're about different relationships. My interpretation was but both loving all of its difficulty and brilliance and acceptance and gratefulness with the kind of stands that I took from it a gospel.
Speaker 1: Boeen wrote that in his house on his piano that the album is an iPhone recording. He just chucked his phone on the top of piano and played it. You can hear his kid in the background if you listen. And then they did another piano track on top that. It was a mechanical piano, right, so no one actually played it. It was programmed. Okay, So there's two like very human and very like like metronomic thing that it's beautiful. It's you know, a product of bowing and noise against together, which was a great moment. And it's a song I wrote last, as it is in I wrote it in the studio obviously recording in France, and I left it to the last because I was so nervous about it, because I wanted to do it justice because it was like a you know, Bowen's moment, you know, like that was a personal thing he did in his in his space, in his home. There was something about that made me quite like I got to do this one right man. And I'm gonna have to sing, not like I was already singing, like I'd sang that was the last track, so obviously sang all this ship and like I know I can sing like I had that You mentioned Roy. The chorus of Roy, I've had for like five years. I've wanted to write that chorus raises Bowen did the bridge the verse in the bridge, and we were packing up about to leave Nigel studio. I was having a bad day every fucking day in Nigel studio. Honestly, I was such a little bastard. But I realized I was being a little bastard and got over it. But it was what everyone was packing up, and then I realized, oh, that fucking chorus, that's it, because the bridge was going to be the chorus. So like literally John was already packing his drums and I said, right, get back, got this idea, do this drum beat, bah blah blah. Write in about five minutes, recorded it and I sang it on the way home. So I'd written that bit, not the words, but the melody that note in baby. I was like, that's it. Started crying and driving home, I was like, fuck God, that's I finally got that chorus in and then what's the other.
Speaker 3: On all the notes? I wondered if that was about somebody like dev to be honest.
Speaker 1: Well it is someone like that, Yeah, that's start my brother, but it's actually it's about this was a very much about me trying to turn a trope of love song into something else, which I like to do and I've been doing since brutalism, where like I like to take something and you know, like I kissed and I liked it kind of thing, not the most like profound transformative work, but like I love it and I like playing with things, and it's honest because that's who I am. So this was about the period where I met a bunch of guys when I started cycling Willy J. Healy to be precise. One of them was Willy where you fall in love with someone in a very platonic way, but you fall in love with someone, it makes you feel great and they bring out something new in you, or they really they reinvigorate a part of you that you've forgotten. And he's a very youthful, bright, beautiful tender man as smart and he's way better at songwriting than anyone else on now an incredible songwhere and an incredible voice, and he likes boxing. So like we just started hanging out and it's a love song about falling in love with someone and you're becoming that thing and the reference to hall of OAS's uh an ex partner in my self would joke about it wasn't my idea, was her idea. She said that, like, you know when you've made you fucked someone for the first time, make love to someone for the first time, and the next day, like hall of Oates is playing in your head all day and you have kicking cans, like yeah, yeah, it's like it's that feeling. You get that feeling like you've just there's this whole vibrant new episode to your life because you met someone. And I like, I love that, and I think it's it's an important love song. It's an important message to celebrate these people. I want to I want to say it like this because it's true. Men don't do this enough, you know, like just declare your love for someone because they make you a better person. There isn't a woman or a man that you're in a romantic relationship with, but you know a friend, he's just like, I fucking love this person, and that's all right. It's nothing weird about that. I don't get me wrong. Most people do. But I like to sing a song about it because I'm a musician.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I love that track. It's a real standout for me, and I.
Speaker 1: Was I mean the music, the musical journey of that song was about five minutes long. I wrote it when I was taking a ship and because we were having like we were in that That's one of the only songs. Nah, there's a couple on the album that we wrote in the room, but that was one of them. And I was just on the tour. I was like, it was it was a terrible writing session. We were just I was doing, everyone was doing my dad. So I went and I went to the toilet.
Speaker 4: There was another song I wanted to ask about, Grace. It's on the album.
Speaker 3: And I did wonder whether, like the kind of explicit references to obviously, no God, no King. I said, love is the Thing, no crown, no ring, like the period when that was written in I mean very not, you know, I'm no Poiro, Like the reading into that. I did wonder whether it was written in kind of the autumn of last year, as the country was sort of like responding to death of the Queen and all those kind of things, and like whether that was in your mind and how that made you feel, and whether that came out of those moments.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Yeah, I think when you become a parent, you know, there's a sense of the potential of what you would do to someone if they were to harm that person is so much more violent and terrifying, and you can imagine when you're not a parent. And with that in mind, it also makes you realize just how much you want to fight for your child's future and just how disgusting, hypocritical, loveless the Tory government and the monarchy is. And it sends me into a place where I'm willing to do things should anyone step in away with my kid having a good life with love in it. And then you know, you don't have to I'm not say you know, it's like it's like assuming that you have to be religious, to fear a god, to be a good citizen. I'm not always you know, I wanted these things before. It just highlights how sad it is when you have a child. There you become more vulnerable because you're suddenly responsible for someone else, and that vulnerability is is scary and it's infuriating, and you just suddenly realize that there's a lot, like our kids are going to have to fight for a lot. And you know, I wanted to write love and I wanted to be love, and you know, as Bell Hooks writes, you know love is love is a verb, and you know it has facets of grace, empathy, commitment, kindness, And I think you know if you act with love and empathy, you're not You're not painting a carriage gold to carry an unelected leader down a path whilst there's foodless food banks. You're not shaking hands with net and Yahoo sanctioning or allowing a genocide in Gaza, and you're not whatever. It's a fact. You know, you're not desperately seeking to leave a union, and you're not desperately seeking to attack and blame a group of people for anything. You're looking to come at solve a problem with empathy and grace.
Speaker 3: I feel like I've said this a lot of the last few years, but it's a bit like next year is a big year. It could be a year of like big change. Twenty four potentially will be a year of big change. There's going to be a general election in the UK, There's going to be a US election. I can tell just from the way that you're exhaling there that you feel apprehensive about that.
Speaker 1: Yes, one thing that people are obsessed with now is making change on this platform they call social media. They think that it's a big platform, but it's not. De sanctioning bodies that allow you to express yourself and making sure that platform is very small, very small. You're seeing what they allow you to see, which is what you want to see, what you are hungry for, which is a sugary fix in a political fucking nightmare. So I am well aware that what I see is maybe not what's going on. And I'm no longer barking at the tree. I'm looking at the roots. I fucking pray. I am praying that this circumstands by people. And you know what all this noise that people make around around the world is the general elections are the only place to really make a change, to start anyway. But this country and the way it's set up, you know, you've got a House of lords. That's insanity. House the Lords is insanity. I try and explain that to an American and they look at me like and this is someone with the Senate. And lobbying is invented there, you know, lobbying, and they're looking at me like you poor bastard. Yeah, it's fact. They're inheriting and buying seats in our parliament. That's fucking corruption, right, is it not. I hope obviously, blah blah, fucking blah. I hope that it starts with the Labor government, and I hope that that's the start of something. Unfortunately, this country always has to be on there to collapse before people really realized who used to blame. But the problem with left wing politics is, and I'm not talking about centrist left, I'm talking about proper left wing politicies. Is that's a fifty year plan, you know, And we definitely don't have that. So I don't know. I don't know, but I am hopeful, Yes, I have optimism.
Speaker 3: Yes, what role do you think that music broadly has in the potential of the run up to something like an election in the UK? I mean, last time we saw it like a lot of the music community mobilized behind the Labor Party, Jeremy Corbyn, etcetera. So would that happen again?
Speaker 4: Do you think.
Speaker 1: It might be? You're a star.
Speaker 4: It's different, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah? I was really excited by it. But me and my dad were going to talk way before he got voted in because he's like, you know, he was a cutthroat in the law. You know, and I thought that might be not the law is in police obviously. I think it was just solicit. I can't remember my dather was telling me about it anyway. You know, the idea of someone who's good at debates and actually fight on that side of the room for once, but he seems to be the opposite of that. It's just centrist bollocks in it. Do I think the music community, I mean, you do what you can do, Like, you know, in terms of the general election, like we we we tried to we were flying back to the UK and Bernie Sanders campaign asked us to play for that and we're like, we're going home, fuck and we can't afford to like stick around and like it's crazy money and then oh no, I can't remember. We just can't do it. And then recently it was for the pro Palestine March. They asked us to play for the Corbyn around the Corbin one of the Corby speeches, and we were already in Turkey. So it's painful, like you want to do these things and it would be great. That sort of thing is that, you you know, it's the same as going on in you just add you just add feet to that and the presence is the blessing there. You know, you just got to try and add numbers so that they see you. You know, you can't ignore you as an entity. I think you know it's about this is what I mean about algorithms and arguing in your political sense is like idols are not followed by the populace. We do not have. You know, we're not in the the world of you know, we're not played in the range. We're not played in between and deck or whatever. You know, we're not in that world. So you know, when Storms, he gets behind Corby, and that's sick because there's a huge amount of people there that are behind Storms. Like we don't have that sense of fame. So we will try. But obviously it's just better when Adele does it, and that's what I want. I'd rather Adele was doing it than me. It's up to It's up to everyone to chip in with whatever they want or not at all. It's none of my fucking business. Do I think music can make a difference. Yes, if it allows people to connect between themselves, that's all I can do is offer a bridge of like feeling. That's what music is. It's a universal language of feeling connection to the world, connection to other people. I hope we're giving that.
Speaker 3: I want to finish on the note of talking about community because I've I always loved watching the activity of the af Gang over the years and how that community has developed and supported and surrounded the band. And I just wondered whether you had any particular stories that have come from that community, like we're talking how it's developed six seven years on that I've really touched you, that have really warmed your heart to know, like, oh, for a connection with our band, certain things have happened, people have met, They've gone to a gig where they didn't have somebody to go to a gig with before, or whatever it might be. I just wonder if there are any particular stories that have just landed with you, with you that you've thought we're doing something significant, because without us, that thing wouldn't exist.
Speaker 1: Like a lot of men have messaged me privately saying, and I don't read much anymore just because I don't have the mental space for it, but I used to get messages of men telling me that I had given them a sense of strength to be vulnerable and to change. That's a beautiful thing, and that's all I'm really interested in, is like helping people feel connected and be open and vulnerable, because again, you come up the world with vulnerability and empathy in love. I feel that that's something going to go one way.
Speaker 3: Midnight Chats is the joint production between Loud and Quiet and Atomized Studios for iHeartRadio. It's hosted by Stuart Stubbs and Greg Cochrane, mixed and mastered by Flow Lines, and edited by Stuart Stubbs. Find us on Instagram and TikTok to watch clips from our recordings and much much more. We are Midnight Chats Pod.
Speaker 2: For more information, visit loudan Quiet dot com