Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Bona Petite.
Speaker 3: I'm Leana Holsten and I'm Sienna Jacob and Welcome to Tossed Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film on the AFI's one hundred Greatest American Movies of.
Speaker 2: All Time, the very slightly less racist tenth Anniversary edition, and are now watching films directed by women.
Speaker 4: Whoo. This podcast is a safe kitchen for people who don't know anything about movies. Today we're watching Julie and Julia Monjou Madame. Warning there will be spoilers about this culinary ooh uh medium old film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Sienna, had you seen this before I had?
Speaker 4: Shall we do our predictions?
Speaker 2: Let's it lip in so long.
Speaker 4: Ago, there was so much that I could not have predicted.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, okay, okay, let's start with yours.
Speaker 5: Then maybe I did predict it. Actually, all right, Hi, Leanna, this is Sienna. I'm about to watch Julie and Julia. From what I remember, Amy Adams is in this and Meryl Streep yeah, which I forgot until until just now.
Speaker 6: I can't remember how nine to eleven plays into this, but I have heard from various sources that it does play in, which is wild. Looking forward to seeing seeing some delicious food be made.
Speaker 4: I love you, goodbye. Yeah, I didn't know this took place like in two thousand and two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and whatever.
Speaker 4: We'll talk about it, but like they talk about it a lot.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah, well, Sienna, here is my prediction for Julie and Julia.
Speaker 4: Hello, Sienna, it's Leanna.
Speaker 2: I am about to watch Julie and Julia Juliae Juy. I predict Cuisine France post nine to eleven and also maybe post war. Oh my god, that amazing woman who goes. She does not.
Speaker 4: Do the work.
Speaker 2: You do, not do work. I love her and Meryll God bless, oh my god. In Stanley Tucci. Okay, I predict. I'm gonna enjoy this again.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So when's the last time you saw this?
Speaker 4: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Definitely before I left for college.
Speaker 4: Great. Did you see the mini series, the Julia Child mini series? No, I think think I watched that in the I definitely watched that since during the time while we were doing the podcast, I watched it because that's when I got really into making French omelets. Oh so we love Julia Child on this podcast?
Speaker 2: Do you love Julia Jakay?
Speaker 4: Sure? Okay, I just realized it.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, why not a tall woman? Have not thought about my opinions on her? The only Julia Child I know is Meryl's Julia, and I adore I think.
Speaker 4: That she is actually like very uh a very respectful and accurate homage sleigh sleigh love. Okay, Well, hey girl, is that right?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Do you want to do that with maybe more enthusiasm? Hey girl, I just couldn't remember all of a sudden. It all feels foreorn to me.
Speaker 2: Girl.
Speaker 4: How's it going.
Speaker 2: Heat summer? The heat wave continues here in London. No, it's eighty four degrees today, which means currently it's twenty six point five degrees celsius inside my bedroom, which in fahrenheit. Let's find out seventy nine degrees fahrenheit inside inside my bedroom where I'm sitting presently doing a podcastew you, I would say, is the correct assessment of the situation. I'm uncomfy again, Did I remind you really uncomfy? No?
Speaker 4: No, anything, It's all that I'm thinking of totally.
Speaker 2: It's the only thing on my mind. I've been having very vivid, incredibly stressful dreams. I think in a combination of my meds and the heat, it's giving me like cinematic dreams. The other night, I had a stress stream that you and I were watching a film that was so violent, but also I was in the film, and I had to spend a week in Soviet Russia. And I was like, well, if I can just get through this week, I'll be fine. I didn't get through the first day. It was deeply stressful. No fort night, I had a stress stream that I had to go to the met Gala, but it was in Los Angeles instead of New York, and I had invites from three different friends. I was going as like the guest of three different friends, but none of them communicated with me like pick up time, Oh my god, no for when they'd collect me so that we could go do the stupid like red carpet step and repeat. And one of them was like, oh, well, I'll pick you up at like ten PM, and I was like, but the met Gala starts at five. And then another one was like, well, just text me, like what motel you're staying in? Motel? I was staying in a motel for the met Gala, so so I will. And then I kept trying to send them a WhatsApp but I kept not being able to get the letters correct on the keyboard, so I couldn't text them my address for them to pick me up. I had to get ready, but I looked so ugly. Oh no, because I didn't have any time to do my makeup.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I woke up and I was like, what am I worried about?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 2: What can I fix here? What is it in my life? That's what's my life worry that's causing me to worry that I have to go to the met Gallow but also might get stuck in Soviet Russia.
Speaker 4: Your stress dreams are highly creative. I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so that's where I'm at.
Speaker 4: Damn. So you're you're you're very hot and your.
Speaker 2: Stress dreams are oh my god. And then the one I had last night was we're all getting on an airplane? Who just all of us? Okay, definitely you were there. I'm like Dorothy at the end of the Wizard of Oz. You were there, and you were the ten man and the scarecrow, remember, And I got bumped up to first class because nobody else sat there and it was just like if you asked, they would give you a seat. Okays, were looking at this plane. This plane was as long as a train, and you go from car to car on the airplane a plane one train. They had to search my luggage because they were very convinced I'd put marijuana in there, okay, and I was like, now, listen, that is as valid a concern as that is. I've never done that, and I would never do that because this is.
Speaker 4: The fear that I have, of course.
Speaker 2: And then I had to get off the plane and go get my luggage again and get it back onto the plane before the plane took off for initially China and then the East coast of the United States.
Speaker 4: Totally, totally.
Speaker 2: And also a guy I had once had a crush on who I asked on the date who said no of course, was also there just to make things, just to add stress to the trestle.
Speaker 4: Well, of course. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that's been my week subconsciously, you know, it explains why I'm so tired.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when I'm awake, absolutely, it's because I'm dreaming in HBO mini series. Yeah, any production companies out there.
Speaker 2: There you go, Yeah, if any of that resonated. You want to to purchase the rights to my brain, purchase the rights to Leonas please, somebody have it. I don't want it.
Speaker 4: I would watch a sort of black mirror type mini series. Is just based on your dreams every night?
Speaker 2: Yeah, my insane ssri stress dreams. And we know I'm sweating. We know I'm real sweat happening. I'm sure that's contributing to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the state.
Speaker 2: It's hard to know which feeds the other. Like, is it the stress dream that make me sweat? Well, that's the fact that I'm a sweating that makes my brain think I'm stressed.
Speaker 4: This comfort does add to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, please do more research about the side effects of antidepressants. If any of y'all work in that field, please keep, Please do more of that work.
Speaker 7: Maybe it's that they remove, they quell some of the anxieties you feel during the day, They like conmute them so and they just force them all into your the dream.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they can't hold them back at night. The flood gates. There's somewhere, like that energy has to go somewhere. So they're like, well, we'll just do it in the dreams rather than while she's awake.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's.
Speaker 2: Where it goes because yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: It can't just disappear. Hey girl, Hey girl, Well I texted you that I also had a stress dream last night, mm, which.
Speaker 2: Yeah, stress dreams about just you're sucked. I'm sorry, it's well.
Speaker 4: The thing that's scary is it's like they're just about the United States of America getting more and more authoritarian.
Speaker 2: So like that is happening.
Speaker 4: That is happening. I had a dream that I was personally I personally offended Donald Trump, and my I was I was kidnapped and tortured and then my family was gonna be kidnapped and tortured. But literally, that is happening the Gestapo, Yeah it's happening.
Speaker 2: What did you do? What was the personal offense? I did you call them like a little bit, you know what.
Speaker 4: We were all going out to protest, and once we got out to the protest, there was like hundreds more marines and police officers than we realized, and we realized it was like a trap for everybody, Like the protest was a trap. And I got tased, Oh my god. And then I was just one of the people who was out and about. And the other thing I was gonna say at hey girl, was that I went to a lay miss party last night and the outfit I was wearing, Oh my god, is how I should look all the time.
Speaker 2: Oh, I believe that. I believe it was a huge sleigh.
Speaker 4: Whatever it was, it was a sleigh. Yeah, it was very fun, and that's kind of my true form. But I think I was wearing that outfit in the dream.
Speaker 2: Because it was a revolution, it's and the powers in place.
Speaker 4: I maybe got more attention than usual because I looked so amazing, So maybe that's why I.
Speaker 2: Was pulled aside, that's why you got tasting.
Speaker 4: That's why I got kidnapped because well, it's hard to take your eyes off of me, of course, because.
Speaker 2: I looked amazing. We need to be come to abduct you? Is well, what were you wearing.
Speaker 4: Anyway? Though? That's that and that's why my my my voice is a little hoarse because I was screaming lame miss songs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, explains Also why you were singing lame is at the beginning of our call to day. Well, and just that line as well, it's the only part I remember, because why are the knew about tigers?
Speaker 4: Why are there tigers.
Speaker 2: And why does Eponine specifically know about them?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on my own all right, Well, before we do, the full second act of Flame is rable speaking of a society that has undergone turmoil, Sienna True, could you please give us a synopsis of the film Julie and Julia.
Speaker 4: Yes, Julie Powell sets out to cook all of Julia Child's five hundred plus recipes from Mastering the Art of French Cooking in one year. This is based on a true situation and a true blog.
Speaker 2: The movie Truelo cuts.
Speaker 4: The movie cuts between Julia Child's journey to becoming a cooking master in France and writing her famous cookbook in the nineteen fifties, and Julie Powell's life living in New York right after nine to eleven, cooking in her tiny apartment kitchen and hating her job the end. Yeah, it's a lot of the true Julia Child. Foody foody love that you want?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, it's got that Nora e. Fron magic of making the food look delicious.
Speaker 4: I will watch anything with food. I love food. What can I say?
Speaker 2: Yeah, ly reminded me of Ratitui, a lot. Yeah, no, just I was basking and THEUI was brought to mind.
Speaker 4: They just go, don't you love bread? And you go, I do love it bread.
Speaker 2: I love bread.
Speaker 4: God, I wanted a brushetta real bad after this movie.
Speaker 2: I've been thinking of it all day.
Speaker 4: Well, Leanna should move on to our phone notes where we talk. We notes that we took on our phones while watching the film.
Speaker 2: O O we Mademoiselle bion venue. Everyone to our phone notes. And I couldn't tell you either of those words in French. My thirteen years of French classes were worth wow nothing.
Speaker 4: Rin Okay, Yeah, Leanna, you've said, first of all, you said, sorry hot take New York is ugly. I think that takes fine. I love New York City as much as everybody else. I love it so much. But also, you know, there's other there's other things to the world, and we don't want to admit that.
Speaker 2: Well, it reminded me of the way that you describe comedy boys of proudly ugly.
Speaker 4: That's what bothers me. Be ashamed a little bit. M hm.
Speaker 2: Let me love and accept. You be working on yourself, aware on it, Yeah, be aware that there's room pro improvement. I get it. Also, of course, it was a directorial choice to show the difference between the romanticized Paris of nineteen forty nine and the devastatingly real New York City of two thousand and two. Totally which related Sienna. You noted, who does she work for? The nine to eleven company? I did not understand her job.
Speaker 4: She's like, I go to work every day, everybody calls me and tells me about their nine eleven story, which happened, by the way, four months ago.
Speaker 2: Oh insane. And what you're saying with that? Yeah, yeah, yeah, Well she works for it. What is it, the Lower Manhattan Development Corporate?
Speaker 4: Oh okay, so they're literally the people who are deciding what're developing Lower Manhattan. Yeah, with Tribeca and that area, which has recently faced a huge blow. Was it two thousand and two or two thousand and three that this was happening, this movie.
Speaker 2: Nine to eleven? No, no, no, this movie? Yeah, what is happening? No, it was like it was two thousand and two. Okay, it's two thousand and two into two thousand and three.
Speaker 4: Cool. Yeah, yeah, she really, I for some reason was picturing that like the nine to eleven of it all would come in at the end.
Speaker 2: Oh anyway, Yeah, this.
Speaker 4: Really is It's really right. I think you're right that they did do a good job of kind of it was. They're showing that Julie is like cooking in this small kitchen and she doesn't have like the all the fresh food loving the beautiful copper potts and yeah stuff around her marches.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I I'm curious how people who lived in New York directly after nine to eleven feel about this movie, because I feel like, what's good about it is we don't really see Julie or her husband themselves like pea if anything, like an answering machine for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and she'll be like I hate everyone who calls me Yeah, which is fair that it's her job and it's like really taxing, but it's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're they never because at the beginning she's like, should should we be leaving Brooklyn? So it's like, okay, you you lived in Brooklyn during nine eleven, Mama, that's real close to you know, ground zero. I don't know that that struck me more today than previously.
Speaker 4: That's a great point because.
Speaker 2: And it was the two things I hadn't really noticed were like them not really having like a personal emotional response to nine to eleven.
Speaker 4: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: And also the concept of McCarthyism uh huh being a running thing. I did not get that the first time.
Speaker 4: I wat Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, Leanna, Yeah, this okay. My hot take is that.
Speaker 2: I love the Julia movie. I hate the Jewelia movie. I said the exact same my flatmate earlier.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, yeah, I think this is an amazing movie mixed with a movie with somebody who sucks pretty bad.
Speaker 2: People who are annoying. Yeah, okay, yeah, great, thank god, Okay, perfect, Leanna, and I want to watch this again, but only the nineteen forties bits because it's amazing.
Speaker 4: Leana, you said why are all her friends terrible? Yeah, and you wrote, Julie, why are these your friends?
Speaker 5: She is?
Speaker 4: She is mm hm. Their lives are so different. I don't know why she's friends with all these rude CEOs. The point is she doesn't have that much money, she has a shitty job.
Speaker 2: She just likes to go home these rude CEOs.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: I think this is a product of being a film from two thousand and nine that was executive produced by Scott Rudin a famously evil man because the amount of like, oh, there was this big expose about him in Oh, I can't remember it was maybe Vulture, it was maybe a different magazine a few years ago about how much of a bully he was and just what a monster he was. Oh no, so he got like booted a little bit out of the industry. But the misogyny and the Julie storyline where like all of her friends are awful, yes, but then it's like normal to hate your friends, like everybody hates their friends.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what are about her mom calls and says, I fucking hate Yeah, and again, maybe you're stupid, You're stupid. Stop.
Speaker 2: Maybe some of that's rooted in the truth of the author's experience, but I think just like writing two dimensional women is such a.
Speaker 4: Lazy yeah, totally and rude choice. I know, she doesn't really have any friends besides her husband, a man who eats like a hyena. All he did was come in and be like, come on, let's have sex. And then she's like, no, I'm cooking right now, and he goes, let me try it, let me try some, and we'll just like rip apart whatever she's been making and shove it in his mouth after she spent that hour with a fort It's insane. Say so right, yeah, if you'll excuse me, I just made a very very nice and fancy cake and my white boyfriend is taking a big bite out of the side. I gotta go deal with this. I'll be right back. Leanni. You said, oh dang, I forgot how good this food looks.
Speaker 2: Oh, oh my god, the food toasting, the bread like in a pan filled with butter. She's like grilling bread.
Speaker 4: It is very a very kind thing they did to us to make a movie in which there's delicious food and Meryl Streep is playing Julia Child. So Meryl Streep is incredibly charmingly and hilariously going oh.
Speaker 2: So good, Oh yeah, oh, I love to eat.
Speaker 4: And then for some reason they put sour Julie in it. I know it's based on a real person. I don't know if they hit the charm of the of the other side.
Speaker 2: I found this character so annoying me too, But I have to say right now before we say anything truly heinous.
Speaker 4: She died.
Speaker 2: That woman died, I know in twenty twenty two kind of of COVID nineteen. Oh really, I saw that it was heart failure. I didn't see it was like.
Speaker 4: She had COVID like the week before.
Speaker 2: Oh no, yeah, well that's really sad.
Speaker 4: It is based on a real person and she has since passed away, So I'm not making fun of them. We're not all clear.
Speaker 2: Think there's something.
Speaker 4: First of all, I say, go Julie for doing this what like doing this cooking everything in a year thing, and she like made she became a writer through this.
Speaker 2: Yeah never but in a movie.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, Trying to give stakes to starting a blog is next to impossible. They were like, her boyfriend won't support her, her mom will call and bully her incessantly for spending time after work on a blog. Like no, I'm sorry, no one cares if you start a blog, which that stakes enough for people not to care and not support you.
Speaker 2: But do you think it was different in two thousand and two, the concept of starting a blog?
Speaker 4: I do think it was different. H I think it's almost better then because there's only so many blogs. Yeah, and it's like more of an undertaking back then. But I think, yeah, they didn't manage to make her that sympathetic. It's weird along the way, and I wonder if it's also because in comparison to Julia Child and her apparently wonderful marriage to Paul, I know, any two characters would be annoying in comparison to them, because they're just such dream boats. I don't know, but anytime it went back to Julia in two thousand and two, I would go, I know because on top of like, there's all these life circumstances that are of course going to be different than the dreamy, charming, rich life of Julia Child and her husband who constantly wants to bone her. But but also it's like, Julia, help us out, why are you? Why are you so annoying? Leonna? You've said, yes, enormous, Jane, enormous, Jane, Jane coming. This is a movie for huge women. These sisters are enormous. Yes, Meryl Streep is five to six playing a six to two woman. But can I tell you something, If anyone's gonna be appropriating tall woman culture, I want it to be Meryl Streep because Meryl can have it. She first of all, she can have it. She did a great job, and she's such a good actress. I think she literally grew like she looked bigger on screen. I think she managed to do it.
Speaker 2: She made her. She was big. Meryl was a big, big, big woman. I also think maryl has never done that bullshit thing of like I'm so small right, Like, we've never seen her do that kind of the energy. I've never seen allowed. She's allowed into the tall girl, into the tall woman, the huge woman universe. Hwu, I love these huge ladies.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: I thought they were so well cast. I know, I just there the Julia child part of this movie me too. Oh, every good moment.
Speaker 4: Meryl Streep, We're so lucky to have her. We're so lucky to have her.
Speaker 2: And what's crazy is Amy Adams is also a very talented actress. I just hate this character. It's just too bad. Sienna, I do want to talk about this. You've noted, Okay, bitch? Did she really want kids that bad? Or is that just what childless women need to feel in movies.
Speaker 4: There were a lot of things in this movie that I know they added in for the drama or for the like you have to have a mom who doesn't support you, even though why didn't you care about your blog? That really bothered me obviously.
Speaker 2: What the thing with the mom too is she's like why are you doing this blog? Stop?
Speaker 4: But she doesn't say like do something else, yes instead, Yeah, she's not like I don't agree with this because I think you should be doing this instead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's just like the trophy one would be like if you need to focus on starting a family, yeah, but instead she's just like, don't do no, do it. It's dumb, You're stupid.
Speaker 4: You're stupid. It's not a human being at all. But then, of course I love to see Meryl act. She did an amazing and beautiful job. Jane Lynch is gonna have a child, and so then Meryl Streep. We see that Julia Child is so sad because she wanted a child so badly, and I was kind of like, damn, can't we just let there be a childless celebrity who just like doesn't have kids. Her life is amazing and I don't know her life. I tried looking it up, and the things I found I haven't researched enough. But if anybody wants to go and research out there, I saw one thing saying they never got around to it and it was fine, which I would completely believe they had very full lives. It doesn't seem like having children would necessarily fit in with their situation. I saw another thing that maybe they did want kids, and she was a real, like huge proponent of planned parenthood, which slag. Oh my god, I don't know. I need to research it allmore. But either way, it's just like, I don't know if that was a huge part of her journey. I couldn't. It didn't seem like it was a big part of her thing, So why do we gotta do that? Yeah, but maybe at the time of twenty eleven or whenever this movie.
Speaker 2: Came out two thousand and nine, Yeah, twosand.
Speaker 4: And nine, maybe it was like, you know, we're talking about the infertility thing and stuff like that. But it does just feel like every movie we've ever seen when a woman doesn't have children, it's like, well, she went crazy because she couldn't have a bath.
Speaker 2: We have to humanize her, so we'll make her devastated that she has no kids, because that's the only normal response for a human woman to have. I don't see that for Julia. I think it's fine. I agree, I agree, And can I tell.
Speaker 4: You something, It is so awesome to see a woman, just to see a person over forty just like learning a new skill and thriving that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it did make me a little sad because it was like, oh, okay, in order to be able to do this, you have to have the wealthiest husband in the world, and also the US embassy is paying for yours and no kids picking up a new skill. Sleigh, it's never too late. If your husband were the end you're fatting parrots.
Speaker 4: Totally. But that was really fun. Leanna. You did say, LMAO, being a McCarthy stand is so embarrassing.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, her dad, Julia Child's dad like that McCarthy. He's got great ideas, So, I mean, we see it. It's it's like those men who start their tweets with uh uh Trump, mister president, sir, it would be an honor to blah blah blah blah blah, and you're like, are you not embarrassed?
Speaker 4: I mean, you gotta know, feel bad about it, but think they're proud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Leanna, you've.
Speaker 4: Said the real villain of this film is the reporter guy who called Julie to tell her Julia hates her. Yeah. Hi, I wonder if you want to comment on the fact that Julia Child hates you, like.
Speaker 2: I didn't ever need to know that. I could have gone my whole life not knowing she'd said that, but you called me to tell me that she had said that. Yes, what the f man?
Speaker 4: Thanks, You didn't set up a situation in which I met her.
Speaker 2: You didn't help you know, it's just like, no, like, what comment are you expecting?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: My comment is that that makes me feel terrible.
Speaker 4: Also, like, I don't know if Julia said that with the intention of this person hearing that, Like something I would say just kind of offhanded about something is very different than what I present to a person, not just because I'm filtering it for them, but because it's like, actually, the message I want to instill in you is something different. I was just being petty with my friends to totally.
Speaker 2: Also, she was like eighty eight when she said that, if I heard about somebody like sixty years younger than me doing anything related to my work, I would say that's annoying. Yeah, leave me be.
Speaker 4: We looked up later why she said like what she said about it, and she says it was literally that She's like, yeah, she just didn't really like like frivolous people, like she'd just never been interested in the flimsies. Oh, like, if you were an educated woman through the depression, you're just kind of like, I don't want to talk to you. You're stupid. I get that.
Speaker 2: I could totally see me telling Julia Child I have an anxiety disorder and her being like, ugh, I'd have to be like and thank fair enough, ma'am, thank you. Oh my god, Siena, you noted nobody calls to put up someone else's one woman show. Okay, I'm sorry, please is so funny. Can we talk about this for a second. Because so she gets published in The New York Times with a terrible photo.
Speaker 4: I also thought that I thought when she was looking over somebody's shoulder in the cafe, she was gonna be like, oh god, but she was just proud, which is again annoying.
Speaker 2: And suddenly she starts getting calls.
Speaker 4: But not only are they calls being like hey, I want to represent you, Hey, I want to represent you. They are all distinct things that people want from her. So one person calls it is like I want to represent you. Another person's like I want I have a book company, and I want to I want your book. This person's like, I make movies and I want to make you into a movie. They all have their own little thing one person. So it's going through like I'm thinking you might want to start a show, an article, a book, blah blah blah, a one woman show.
Speaker 2: That's not how one woman shows work. No one woman shows happen to the audience. No one ever is like I'm developing for someone else. Yes, yes, exactly, I totally see what you mean.
Speaker 4: They're like, you either have to tell people are subjected to one woman shows, or it's like it completely makes sense as a thesis, as I need to mount this to stay in the country, or just like this is a story that I just let me do this. I'm gonna do this. Yeah, but you don't say you know your story. I think I think.
Speaker 2: We could develop see this as a one woman show to a one woman show. I think people would really love that. No one in.
Speaker 4: The history of the world has had their pockets filled by putting on a one person performance anywhere.
Speaker 2: No. I also feel like the theater is one of the mediums the least capable of conveying like delicious food. Yeah, that's so true, like unless you're cooking it on stage live, but even then you're gonna have to rely on like the scent you across to the audience. A one woman show was Julia Child.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean if they meant it, like, but that was a teavy cooking show. Yeah, that's what you want to.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't describe one.
Speaker 4: And then when Julia Child mounted her famous one woman show which would change the cooking world forever, her Emmy Award winning one woman's show, Leonna. You're final note is the ending always makes me cry. The freeze frame with Julia.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, her and Stanley Tucci laughing. It's the jovial laughing. It's something that song I find very like heart wrenching, heartrending whatever it is. And their beautiful relationship and he's so supportive of her, and they love each other so much, and they're able to laugh so easily with one another and like celebrate her success together. Oh my god, is always cry.
Speaker 4: They're such a their couple, their their relationship is so so sweet and fun to.
Speaker 2: Watch, true power couple.
Speaker 4: It's not like overly sweet either, So somehow nothing is overly sweet in a way that feels fake, and it's just like so delightful totally.
Speaker 2: I forget entire world. Yeah, she's the best person in the entire world for sure. Welcome to our segment Badges and Trages, where we give badges for buff Bourgignon and trages for termidor comm a lobster in which you have to murder the lobster. Moly, that's not my tragest that was upsetting My first badge before I forget is that? And this isn't the movies doing this is just I'm glad this was real life. Both Julia Child and her husband Paul lived into their nineties.
Speaker 4: So awesome.
Speaker 2: This type of movie could totally do that thing of like the plane crashed, there was a car accident, like when there's a perfect couple who love each other so much, totally one of them is going to die very tragically.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but real life stepped in and said, no, that didn't happen.
Speaker 4: You're not doing that.
Speaker 2: They lived to their old age.
Speaker 4: Badge Badge. Bad Badge for Merril is so so charming and delightful in this. Yes, it it's astounding.
Speaker 2: It's astounding. A Badge for France nineteen forty nine. Yes, thank you.
Speaker 4: Title card badge for food.
Speaker 2: Oh I love food. I could watch any movie with food.
Speaker 4: It made me want to get into cooking again. So delicious and delightful. Yeah. Badge for huge women. Yes, huge women, huge women. It's so exciting to see huge women on screen. Badge for.
Speaker 2: It's so funny.
Speaker 4: I put food Meryl and then Meryl cooking food.
Speaker 2: That's really what you get, honestly our three favorite things to see in a film. Yes, my next badges are for Casey Wilson and mary Lynn Reich's yub I actually have no idea how to pronounce her last name, but Casey Wilson is one of the friends at the Cobb Salad Lunch, but she's actually very funny in it. And then Mary Lynn is the one who plays Julie's only I guess actual friend who's always sitting with her right and helping her out.
Speaker 4: Yes, I have a badge for women working together, women business partners. Ah, she does not do you work?
Speaker 2: She doesn't work.
Speaker 4: You do not do you work?
Speaker 2: A badge for epistolary exposition. I think this is a correct use of both of those words. But the way that Julia and Paul's lives are communicated via the letters that they write to their friends and loved ones and it's like narrated over so it gives you a sense of like, oh, Okay, this is where they're living, this is why they're there, this is what's going on in their lives. Very scenic, very nice, very nice, good exposition delivery.
Speaker 4: Badge for Julia Zess for life. I know a lot of it comes out of her privilege of freedom and money and but but it's nice to see sometimes and be inspired by.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, this is yeah, this.
Speaker 4: Is life and let's just take it. She gets to friends and she's like, I'm gonna be bored, so I want to find something awesome to do, and I'm gonna feel really uncomfortable at first, but who cares.
Speaker 2: I deserve to be here.
Speaker 4: I'm awesome.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm gonna chop a million onions in my house.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. That was so and scene was so funny. By the way, maryl got really good at chopping onions, like she was doing that, Oh.
Speaker 2: My god, from like MARYL. When Stanley walks into the kitchen, he's like.
Speaker 4: Oh, come on, why wouldn't you want to watch that? How is that in the same movie as the other day. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: A badge for I love this French woman, Simca her friend. Yeah, I of Oh. I think that actor did such a good job. I love that character, and I love the way that she was portrayed.
Speaker 4: Oh fun, I didn't remember any of that storyline or anything. It was such an a light to watch. Yeah, badge for creating a product the whole time. Like I love just that they can hold the book in their hands at the end. It was fun to watch them. You have to go in and fight.
Speaker 2: I guess they were.
Speaker 4: Doing the same thing with the two with the two people, It's just that one of them was just writing a blog in her house.
Speaker 2: I love how little you respect blogs. I was gonna say, you're so anti blog.
Speaker 4: That's funny because I definitely have enjoyed many a blog post.
Speaker 2: Oh a badge for copper pots and pans. I flipping love the aesthetic of copper pots and pans.
Speaker 4: So good.
Speaker 7: M Oh.
Speaker 4: My final badge is for Jane Lynch.
Speaker 2: Oh. My next badge is badge for these two sisters. Perfect casting. When they greet each other on the train platform and they're both so boisterous and loud and expressive, Oh my god, and Stanley just does his little smile yeah, and the other lovesomen witch yes, when they're looking at themselves in the mirror and Meryl goes pretty good but not great.
Speaker 4: Women's rights.
Speaker 2: God, my god. My last badge is for the line whiz when they're talking about the author credits for mastering the Art of French cooking and they're like, it should be Julia Simca Whiz Louis said, goes whiz so funny. She does not use you work, she doesn't wa Sorry, everybody, these two huge women have to take a quick break. Listen, ads, but don't.
Speaker 4: Worry us, tall ladies.
Speaker 2: We'll be back very soon. Trages trag is.
Speaker 4: My first trage is wait, Julie kind of sucks question mark.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My first trage is a trage for Chris Messina. I'm sorry to Chris.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think you're right. I think you've done any historic objective wrongs, but I don't.
Speaker 4: But I agree that he hasn't done any historic amazing work either, and we're supposed to act like he has.
Speaker 2: We're supposed to be like, okay, great Chris. I'm always like, oh no, I have seen that guy. Yeah, he's fine, he's fine. Trage for her mom hating her for no reason? Why is your mom so mean?
Speaker 4: That was weird? It was weird. It's odd.
Speaker 2: She's cool, honey, Stop doing in this thing that's bringing you Joel. I don't like it's annoying trage For executive producer Scott Rudin, that really was a whoa dang well trag?
Speaker 5: Four?
Speaker 4: Why has she never eaten an egg before? Why is that steaks? Why we have to watch her eat an egg and go, oh, this egg tastes like cheese sauce.
Speaker 2: No, it does not. That's not how cheese sauce you. Yeah, I guess that must have been. That must have just been based on truth.
Speaker 4: But okay, mm.
Speaker 2: Hm oh a trudge for.
Speaker 4: Tradge for it.
Speaker 2: There's one black woman in the film and she has like ten lines and it's all just to be like high five, good for you. Yes, I didn't tell him, I swear. But none of her actual friends or she invites over for dinner, they're they're all white. That's so funny. I didn't even realize.
Speaker 4: Why didn't she invite her black friend who seems to be her best friend in that she's the only person who's nice to her.
Speaker 2: I don't get it.
Speaker 4: She gives her high fives constantly.
Speaker 2: She's so supportive. All she does is support Julie. That is so funny.
Speaker 4: Okay, trash for that weird scene where uh where Julie's like, I have fans and all the boyfriends at the table explain the analytics to her. I don't understand why the boyfriends are the only people who know about her blog and why she doesn't have access to her viewer count, even though in another time they still were able to see I think if they had readers and she was like, I have people read my blog and these random men are.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah they do. Why do they know that? Why isn't it one of her friends no blogs and the girlfriends are no blogs?
Speaker 4: I don't know. Yeah, I don't think that girlfriends even speak in that scene.
Speaker 2: It's insane. That scene is insane. A trage for starting sentences with so, ma'am, you want to be a writer, you should not be starting sentences. You should not be writing sentences that go so tonight. I made this thing, you just say tonight. I made this thing. That's a big, a big peeve of mine. As people who start their sentences are so oh interesting in writing form, you don't need it, you can always take it out.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 2: If I haven't done that.
Speaker 4: You have not known.
Speaker 2: I noticed it a lot at work. Imagine if I was trying to convey a pet peeve to you, but via a trage. Hate film when people do that. I hate when trage for when when you're trying to make memes with your Wait, that's only us, and no, that was an film Julia and Julia's.
Speaker 4: Well trag for that very awkward SNL viewing they do together where they're both snickering.
Speaker 2: With their like martinis and.
Speaker 4: Being forced to watch an SNL thing like a classic thing. You kind of go, oh, it's I guess that's medium funny. She just she's just bleeding everywhere and watching. There's nothing that makes something less funny than watching two people.
Speaker 2: Laughing at it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was very.
Speaker 4: Awkward and weird.
Speaker 2: God, you know, I also found it pretty creepy how Julie starts like wearing pearls and like sort of dressing like Julia. Yeah, it was going a little bit all about Eve for me. My final trage is a trag for this old ideology around turning thirty and this whole like, oh you have to have an existential crisis about turning thirty, because it's the end of your life and if you haven't had everything figured out by then you are a waste. Because Julie's character turns thirty over the course of the year, yeah blog, and I'm like, I just this is so tired.
Speaker 4: I feel like the only reason I will feel any weirdness around turning thirty is because everyone keeps acting like you're supposed to. Yeah, okay, trag For the lobster scene, I'm sorry, Julie says much. Oh, I don't want it. It's so it's so crazy for me to throw these live lobsters into the boiling water. The human thing to do is to kill them with a knife, And then she thinks about doing it. Then she throws them in the boiling water, which is so inhumane. I know it's how they've been doing it for a long time, but she has the choice. And then her boyfriend rushes up and puts the lid back on. He wasn't helpful in killing them at all. He didn't do anything to help. And then he puts the lid on and she goes, thank you so much. That scene was crazy. I felt gasper by that scene. Everybody here did a bad job, and no one should be proud of themselves.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh, I would love for you to be going around to various situations and saying that to the people involved. None of you should be proud. Everyone did a very bad job. Stop stop feeling proud about this.
Speaker 4: It was all bad. Well, Leanna, Shall we move on to our next segment, which is, of course.
Speaker 2: How to pretend you've seen this film?
Speaker 4: This is you are grocery shopping at the supermakey and you're looking at the bread and McCarthy.
Speaker 2: Oh okay. Senator Joseph McCarthy comes up to you. It says, what do you do in your spare time? WHOA nothing?
Speaker 4: No, I do nothing at all. You say, I'm starting a blog. He goes, that's actually more annoying than my thing. Be on your way. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Senator Joseph McCarthy comes up to you with a really bright light, holds it over you. It starts are you gay? Interrogating you, but then realizes, do you know what? This really reminds me of a guy who worked for the government in the fifties, and they actually made a movie about him that's called Paul and Paul. Well, really it's called Julie and Julia. Yeah, I've seen that one. Yeah, it's about Paul Child. No, no, no. And in order to big.
Speaker 4: Senator McCarthy from interrogating you about Red scaring you, Oh yeah, here are a few things you can say to pretend you've seen the film Julie and Julia.
Speaker 2: Yes, Senator McCarthy, I've seen Julie and Julia.
Speaker 4: Ugh.
Speaker 2: The current state of the government reminds me of the makeup of Julia Child's class at Le cordon Bleu. All men, all GI's and very expensive.
Speaker 4: That looked straight up terrible. That's why I felt I think she won some of them over. She totally, Oh you're improv class, Yeah, totally. Yeah, Uh, she totally did. Okay, you better work. Meryl Streep gained fifteen pounds while filming the movie.
Speaker 2: Oh I forgot you just from eating like really good food.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 4: I don't know if she was supposed Maybe she was just doing it as part of the role.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because she grew eight inches.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she had to stretch up and become the size of the enormous woman.
Speaker 2: Enormous woman, yes, Senator McCarthy. I've seen Julie and Julia. Really, honestly, it's not about Paul. We're not talking about men. Who's talking about men.
Speaker 4: We're talking about Julie and Julia. Really, just Julia. Yeah, to be honest, Yes, Senator McCarthy, I've seen the film Julie and Julia. Some facts about the heights in this movie. Julie a child was six to two huge, We love it. Paul Child was five nine, which is so funny because imagine being like five two, but he just looks like it compared to this six too woman. Yeah, but Meryl Streep is five six. Stanley Tucci is five seven and three quarters tall. Okay, just like just give it, just just just say, just say five to seven. But but he's a man in Hollywood, so I understand. H In order to achieve the height, they had to do several camera slash, set slash costume tricks, which I was noticing. I think they dropped her waist a lot, so she looked like all together longer. Yeah, and then also like in the last scene, you also just buy it because she's such a great actress, but she is wearing like platform.
Speaker 2: All those those heels.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I saw those in the end, I was like, huh, which at some point you're like, what are we supposed to do besides simply theater, Like, honestly, that's quaint, instead of them like CG eyeing her legs longer.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yeah it, but it is really funny to imagine Julia child like absolutely prancing around in these clumping in some things, strutting.
Speaker 2: What is marshmallow fluff? I finally read scare Senator McCarthy away from me in the grocery store aisle so I can have some peace. But I find myself so distraught and perturbed by that conversation that I say, I'm going to go buy some bread.
Speaker 4: Oh imagine living somewhere with a bakery. Oh my god, do you guys have like no good bakeries in London where you can buy breads.
Speaker 2: Not in the way that you'd wish.
Speaker 4: Okay, yes, Senator McCarthy. I have seen the film Julia and Julia, And guess what. This is the first Hollywood film at least partially based on a blog. And I believe it.
Speaker 2: I believe it, and I believe it. It's funny that we've watched a film based on a Twitter thread and a film that's based.
Speaker 4: On the blog to we accidentally often Yeah, a reason moving too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, can I give a late badge? Yes, I have to give a badge for the pet name that Paul calls Julia as a term of endearment. He goes my big sprig. Also, I'm sorry, this is another badge I have to give a badge for. When they're talking about Julia's size. There's never an element of shame to it that they're always just like, you're huge, You're a big woman. And she's like, I know, I'm growing in front of you. And I love that. That is so true. It's just it's like really healthy. They're just so like, yep, that's how you're big. Yeah, And that's not a bad thing.
Speaker 4: It's just what it is.
Speaker 2: It's awesome.
Speaker 4: They're also like fifty forty and fifty like I think they're just like it's all it's all good. Oh my god, Okay, I'm sorry. One last one, last one, yes, Senator McCarthy. I have seen the film. I have seen the film Julia and Julia. In her research, Nora Efron was surprised to discover that Julia Child and Paul Child had a very intense sexual relationship, which they both wrote about enthusiastically to their friends.
Speaker 2: People would put that into letters in the past in ways that I don't think people do necessarily these days.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you'd see your friends like talk to friends on the phone so much so like they just had to be like, yeah, I had great sex with my wife.
Speaker 2: Fucking yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh Sianna.
Speaker 2: Uh huh. Let us uh uh pull our next segment out of the oven, which is should you watch this ore in which we tell you, beloved listeners, if we think you should watch this movie or if you should do something else with your recipe? What do you think, Leanna?
Speaker 4: Oh gosh, I.
Speaker 2: Would say you could watch this film. You could watch just the Julia Child parts. Tbah, I love them so much. And then I really really was very just like at the other half, which I feel bad about, but it's also the truth. But I don't really have another thing. Is there some sort of cooking show?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: What was really good that I enjoyed a lot was Sola L. Wiley's YouTube channel where you larious dishes. You could check out her YouTube channel, Sola That's a fun one.
Speaker 4: She is one woman show.
Speaker 2: She is one of my favorite.
Speaker 4: She's incredibly, incredibly knowledgeable and skilled about like food science, but she's also just a delightful fun person to watch and she has a husband she loves.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 4: Yes, Cianna, what would you say? It's a great recommendation. I would say the same thing as you. The parts that are delightful and fun with Meryl being Julia Child are so fun. It is really kind of endlessly delightful to watch Julia Child do her thing and prepraying that if you wanted to watch more of that, you could watch Julia the French Chef is her actual show, which you could also watch, but I haven't watched much.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, it's Sarah Lancashire plays Julia Child. She's amazing.
Speaker 4: She was so good. She's British. That makes sense because she was yeah she uh yeah. That show was so good and it kind of takes you through how they started it, which because she was like a housewife's starting a cooking show and things were done so differently. Anyway, I really enjoyed that and it made me so excited about food. It's great for foodies. Would recommend if you want more Julia Child content. That is packaged in a in a dramatic medium.
Speaker 2: Leanna, what would you rate this film? Weird movie?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 2: I god like I would give the Julia Child parts five big spriggs out of five. We can rate it like and then the Julie part I would give like two burnt Borgignons out of five, so on average, I guess that makes it a three point five out of five totally, but I feel sad about that. But I think I'm gonna wait them differently. I think I'm gonna wait at like a two thirds to a one third ratio. So I'm gonna give the whole thing four out of five. Fantastic copper pans. Yeah, I love Love, Love Merrily and Stanley and Jane Lynch. I completely agree, Like it's it's such a gift. The maryl parts such a gift. Yeah, So I'm going to give that food in the Julie section also is really good.
Speaker 4: I am going to Yeah, that's true. I'm going to give the maryl Or the I'm going to give the Julia Child part of this six female created cookbooks out of five, and I'm going to give the Julie parts two Bullied by Your Mom Blogs out of five, and I will give the full movie two point nine yeah, because it weighs it down for me too much. Two point nine boned Ducks out of five. But the Marral parts, I wonder they probably have like a YouTube edit with just the maryl parts. Not to be completely rude, I mean it was fine, It was fine, but I just really wanted to just I would just watch Marilyn, Marilyn Monroe.
Speaker 2: I would just watch Meryl Street be.
Speaker 4: Julia Child for my whole life, the best, the best. Well there, we've done it. We watched Julia and Julia. I had a fun time. I gotta say, my brother and I were saying this at the end. It's kind of the perfect movie in that you get to love it so much and you get to hate it so much, which is actually kind of enjoyable to talk about.
Speaker 2: That's true. Yeah, it's the perfect thing. Merciboku for listening now. We are Tossed Popcorn. We are at toss Popcorn on Instagram. You can also find us on Patreon at patreon dot com. Slash Tossed Popcorn for bonus episodes and join us next week when we will be watching Belle. You know, thank you. We love you.
Speaker 4: Olive bonup, Petit bonup, pe tit.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leanna Holsten.
Speaker 4: Please check the description for the.
Speaker 1: Spelling of our dumb names. We put on episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on Tossed Popcorn. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, check the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: If you had to accomplish a milestone in a year, what do you think you would do? Like a certain number of some things?
Speaker 4: Oh interesting, I'd probably either do an exercise one just to see if I could actually like, I'd probably try to try to do I'd do one cartwheel a day and add one every day until.
Speaker 2: I was doing three s five carp wheels.
Speaker 4: And by the way, I can't do even one right now, Okay, so i'd have.
Speaker 2: To be right or so I'm picturing at the end that you're like on a football field, like you need that much distance to do three hundred and sixty five cartwheel?
Speaker 4: Would that actually be really bad for your brain? Probably?
Speaker 2: I was just wondering that I was wondering that exact same thing