Speaker 1: Of the law and Order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on. These are our stories. Done done, Hello, and welcome to Thats messed up.
Speaker 1: But I'm one of your hosts.
Speaker 2: Kara Klank and I'm Liza Traeger, and we're coming from you live from the East Coast, both of us, Yes, we're both on.
Speaker 1: The East Coast.
Speaker 2: I just got here just the day after the fourth and the power was out for two days. Oh my god. Wait we talked us to you True Crime. We have celeb guests. Okay, yes, I'm sorry. It was like I had. We had such a great like cross country check.
Speaker 1: Now what room are you in? Are you your brother? What is that?
Speaker 3: I'm at my mom's Okay, okay, my mom's and like, such a good trip, barely any snaffoos. Only pulled over by the cops one time and I got a warning, not a.
Speaker 1: Ticket, that you do and huh, what'd you do?
Speaker 3: I was doing forty two and a thirty, but I had just come off the highway and I was like the highway seventy five. You guys like you can't make us go from seventy five to thirty When we first get off, like it feels like you're like jogging alongside.
Speaker 1: It, like it's too slow.
Speaker 2: But anyway, the guy was like gave me a warning, which I was like, thank you, but no problems at all. And then I guess my mom's house powers out for two fucking full days. Camp gets canceled.
Speaker 3: Noah, the first day I'm supposed to have the kids away from me in three and a half fucking weeks and their camp gets canceled.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, oh, I don't even know what to do because of the power, yes, yes, and what's the power because it's so high and all the electricity. Well no, there was a huge storm on the fourth of July and like it knocked all these trees into power lines. And then like they're at this farm camp, which like you know.
Speaker 3: It it has it has covered structures, but like they were too worried that Monday was gonna like lightning or something. Anyway, it was it's today's my first day now without my children. These are my first like two hours without my children in three and a half weeks, and I'm just so thrilled to be here, so thrilled. I'm so happy. I feel like I feel like I have wings. I mean, I love them, but this is like a lot of un stopped time with them. And know we're back to normal with them going to camp and such. But yeah, it's been How was your fourth How was well?
Speaker 1: I just said, I have huge news. What what listen?
Speaker 2: I the fact that Taylor Swift had someone at her wedding that owns ice detention centers.
Speaker 1: I'm done. I'm out.
Speaker 2: I covered my sticker on my phone. I'm giving away everything and I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm done. I'm done. Wow, I was wondering how you were. I'm not.
Speaker 2: That's my hardline. I've I don't care. I'm done. So I don't know what I'm gonna listen to. I guess just the instrumentals from heated rivalry. Like, I don't know what I'm gonna do, but I have to take all of everything away. I'm still gonna make bracelets. She doesn't own beads, but like, yeah, I'm done. Oh that's tough.
Speaker 3: I mean, I gotta say, like, the whole wedding to me just seemed like, ugh.
Speaker 2: I was fine with the wedding, and a part of me thought she invited so many people to show Blake Lively, like, this is how little you mean to me? I have the woman that just created the summer. I turned pretty here and you're not invited. So in my head, I'm like, yeah, invite it, like George.
Speaker 3: Stevenopolis is here and you're not invited yet, Like there was like the list was so random.
Speaker 2: I mean, I still like support. I liked the wedding. I got it, I understood it, I felt it. I was happy people were messaging me. And then I also clocked it because Marishka on the Broadway calendar, she had Friday the third off, and so I knew because I went to see her on Broadway, and so then I sent it to Michael, who I went with. She's a big Mrshka person. She is on our Patriot on if you guys want to listen to fans of s for you have a good time. But I sent her the calendar being like, confirmed the wedding's happening, Marishka's taking the night off, and she wrote, Lol, what wedding.
Speaker 1: And I'm like to be so free, to be so free.
Speaker 2: But there's no fucking Travis's bullshit sometimes, you know, like whatever her her closeness and proximity to Maga's always.
Speaker 1: Been an issue to me.
Speaker 2: And I don't really care about the environment, Like I think she should fly private.
Speaker 1: She cannot go on Delta.
Speaker 2: Sorry, and she's still not even the worst, Like the flying private is like the least of it. I just but I was fine with ice detention centers. You're friends with someone that's who's gonna watch you get married, someone that owns private prisons for children.
Speaker 1: Fuck you, I'm done. This is no longer a Taylor Swift podcast. Wow wow.
Speaker 3: I mean I also thought, like the msg of it all seemed like it just seemed like like causing traffic and all of this bulls.
Speaker 2: That's in a huge city tailor. She loves New York. I was fine with the wedding, like it made sense to me. It's like, you want a ton of people, You're probably gonna spend twenty to fifty million. It's gonna look nice, security everyone's taking care of Like, I got I understood it.
Speaker 1: I got it.
Speaker 3: I'd be interested to see how the inside looked, like how did you drape all of Madison Square Garden? Like so that you weren't walking by a concession stand at some point, you know what I mean, Like I really am interested in what the interior looked.
Speaker 1: Like, but I also think it was probably just the first floor, you know what I mean, Like I don't know if you were like up and around.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the guest list, it just kept more people coming out of the wood.
Speaker 2: But she said that on Ramnoren she was just like, listen, I'm not going to cut anyone. She's like, what's stressful about weddings is making lists, and like I'm not going to do it.
Speaker 1: She goes after cut, she cut one big person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, interesting, Okay, Well what did you do?
Speaker 1: Over the fourth?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna survive. I don't know what I'm gonna do this. I don't know what's gonna happen. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know how I'm gonna live anymore. And see last night I was like, I'm gonna do a casual. I'm gonna do casual, stayed ounseil three thirty in the morning playing darts.
Speaker 1: I will Okay, So.
Speaker 2: What I do On the third, I wanted to watch Cobo verde Argentina and everyone ditched me. I was texting. If anyone saw how desperate my text were, I'd be humiliated. No, I could find no one to hang out with me. So I went to a new bar in my neighborhood that I was wanted to try, brought a book, got a seat, started watching, and then I was bribing people in the neighborhood to meet me. So I had Emma Willman stop Alex English, you know. So I got people to meet me, and then I ended up running into people I knew, and then it ended up being like amazing. I had shrimp cocktails, someone had a backgammon set in their purse, played backgammon at the bar, and watched soccer and it was like I gotta be ridible. Oh yeah, and it was incredible. And then on the fourth yeah, friends in town. I went to the Rockways. Actually I hung out.
Speaker 1: With the person from who what weekly or whatever, Lindsay. No, I was weekly. I was with Lindsay at the beach.
Speaker 2: But I didn't know Jake Cornell, of course, the most popular sexy man in the world, like, okay, like the hottest person ever. People always like, what's your type? I'm like Jake Cornell, I don't know. I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 3: She I've told Alison this before, but she gives me Allison livey vibes like in a way, and I was, I don't know, she's she's more friendly than everyone Elise on the podcast.
Speaker 2: No, she but it didn't clock for me. Like we were all at the beach was a big group. I didn't know that many people. We saw some sharks, doll fins, but yeah, beach beach all day. So then someone had a bungalow near the beach, and so I got to take a cold shower, an outdoor cold shower after life.
Speaker 3: Doors shower is the fucking one of life's great pleasures.
Speaker 1: I love them so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't do it enough because I'm kind of dirty, so I usually I don't care to shop.
Speaker 1: And you're going to find in New York City city that much, you know.
Speaker 3: I feel like I think about door showers as like on Cape Cod or like you know, at beach Towns or whatever, like it's so but they're the best.
Speaker 1: But then love outdoor showers.
Speaker 2: But then I got home quick nap, and then I was invited to like a gorgeous outdoor backyard dinner and it was one of the best meals I've ever had in my life. Wow, one of the best meals I've ever had in my life. But I was home by midnight, oh by midnight, And then Sunday I got to It's an La Mexican spot in my neighborhood, Dodgers Bar, and I got a seats at three pm and we watched both soccer games, and you know meelli devastating loss, of course, but I was there from like three to eleven.
Speaker 1: Wait, who did Mexico lose to England? Wow? Crazy? But Norway is going to crush them.
Speaker 2: But what's going to be so exciting about this Norway game is like the main Norway guy plays in Manchester, so he's gonna be playing against all of his besties.
Speaker 1: Ooh, and he's going to crush him. I've heard he's like the best.
Speaker 2: He is the best, but he's also like sweet and silly. It seems like he's nice to his girlfriend, he doesn't engage, he's not fighting.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: He seems awesome Norway to the max. So now I'm team Norway. But my whole family obviously cheering for Mexico. My dad was in a Mexico hat and we were at the Mexican Bar. Like that's why I got there so early because it was so fucking packed.
Speaker 1: Wow, so you got good, good seats. And then of course I stay out till four that night too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, what can I say. It's summer, it's World Cup, it's New York.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm trying to figure out.
Speaker 3: As this episode comes out, we will already be in past quarterfinals, I feel, so we'll be like we'll really know more when this episode comes out, but right now we only know who survived this.
Speaker 1: But I'm trying to go to the beach on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Then I have three shows, like I don't know, I'm gonna do it all, but I need to watch Norway, so maybe I'll watch it at the rock Way.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know. Yeah, Okay, spill.
Speaker 2: We only have a few more weeks of this being my personality, so I gotta get the most spill on Marishka in every brilliant thing I saw. She had her last show I didn't get to go. So she is incredible. She's dynamics. She's on stage before the play starts, you know, because there's a lot of audience participations, like you kind of see her, so that's really cool.
Speaker 1: She looks great, she's awesome.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I love the show and I hate the audience participation.
Speaker 5: Oh you do.
Speaker 2: I hate it, And it creates a certain advit well, because people don't know how to project or missing. I'd rather her sail the line, right, I don't get it. It's also it's a really it's about the play about suicide. Okay, so every brilliant thing is like all of a list of stuff that's worth living for and how those things actually don't help the ones because it's bigger than that, and like it's just a very poignant show. And before the last line, it's obviously the end, some bitch had to heckle. Some bitch screamed out before the final fucking line of this pretty sad play, like.
Speaker 1: What did g L? So basically it's like a list of stuff.
Speaker 2: So it's like all of these things that are worth living for, and then her the goal of this show and this character is like she wants to get to one million, and includes other people and everyone's like listing these things, and so she goes and one million and this woman goes.
Speaker 1: Meeting Marishka Hargatay.
Speaker 2: And then people start clapping, so then Marishka has to stand and wait and then and then deliver this like line.
Speaker 1: Animals and yeah, animals.
Speaker 2: People took the phone out during the show taking photos. I mean, the most untrained theater audience I've ever been a part of. Yeah, the cool things were that Jalen Brunson's parents were there and we all went nuts when we saw them and clapped them, and then they got and then Marishka brought his mom out for one of the audience parts and we all went nuts. But like Dean Winters was there also, I was at ear And all day watching Austria Spain. Yeah, so I was at one.
Speaker 1: Of my favorite with ending. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I was at the bar all day, then went to see Broadway, then walked forty blocks, did comedy, then stayed out again till two thirty in the morning. Oh my lord, I don't know, I don't know, and I don't really see an end in sight.
Speaker 3: Well, the World Cup at least will be wrapping up in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, before I go to Peetown and Monte Carlo, Like, what are we talking about I guess maybe maybe September after your birthday we could sweak it. Hope we could pray for a reprieve. I mean, I guess i'ven't been working. I'm like, something's gotta give, and it's been I would say my fitness, my fitness because I've been in these streets.
Speaker 1: Also, so I'm with Jake Cornell.
Speaker 2: We're like outside, we're in the West Village and I run into someone I know and he's with his friends and gay guys and I could tell immediately j K it's him, Like I could just tell. I'm like, oh, ja K's's person. I'm like, he's not like a great guy, but like I'm here for a casual kombo. Topic of ice cream comes up. We talk Van Luen and Van Luin now has like self served and I go great, and then they go or you should try cultured and I go, I'm not really like waiting in line for ice cream, like maybe in the winter.
Speaker 1: I'll go like I.
Speaker 2: Don't give a fuck, and then he goes, well, yeah, you seem like a carvel person to.
Speaker 1: Me, dropping my mic are you kidding?
Speaker 2: And Jake went you should go inside now like he defended my honor immediately, and I go, can you believe that it does seem like a carvel person? Yeah, like a cookie postcake? What the fuck are you talking about? So I went, well, I'd rather eat candy anyways. And then we walked inside and Jake was like, I hate that guy.
Speaker 3: I go, well, then he will to tell someone that they don't seem like an artisanal ice cream person, but they seem like a chain ice cream like eighties ninety like famous for like a whale cake is really like not it that icic psychotic?
Speaker 1: Yes, sociopathic social behavior?
Speaker 2: Wow, Well you were just goes to show you that your little barometer was right because you knew it from the jump that this guy sucked, and then he proved it. Yeah, and if he like people sometimes don't realize that. It's like, my kindness is what's keeping this together.
Speaker 1: Ha ha.
Speaker 2: It's like, honey, if you want to play, we can play. Yeah, this happened to me at the Mexican spot. I go, it's packed of people in a tiny fucking bar and I as I'm walking from the bathroom, I hear a girl go, she stepped on my toe. So in my head I go, oh, I'm gonna buy this girl a shot. I was feeling great, you know, so I turn around. I go, are you okay? She goes, no, you stepped on my foot. And I go, well, you're in a packed bar, you dumb bitch, Like you don't know who you're fucking with.
Speaker 1: Like people just do not know.
Speaker 2: That's how I felt when I watched Send Help, Like that was my favorite fucking lesson where it's like you never fucking know who you're talking to. It's like, I was gonna buy you a shot. I checked in on you. You're mad I stepped on your toe. I will throw you across this bar. Yeah, people, people do not. I It's like it's crazy to me. No, It's like when I spilled a sip of white wine on that woman at a Paul Simon concert at the Hollywood Bowl.
Speaker 3: I got her napkins, I was wiping her up. I was like, I'm so so sorry. It was literally it's a white wine and it's a mouthful, like it was literally not wasn't in my mouth, but I'm.
Speaker 1: Just saying it wasn't a lot.
Speaker 3: And then I was like, and then after she wouldn't stop fucking mean mugging me and complaining. I go, I've ever been to a concert before, Like this is what it is, and that's it.
Speaker 2: You're you're done, You've spent my good will. Yeah, I saw a girl complain that the bartender put water. But it's just like I came steps on your There's four hundred people here, like.
Speaker 3: What are you talk Like what are elbow you in the goddamn ribs?
Speaker 1: Like it's we're a.
Speaker 2: And then it's like you stepped on my tone and it's like yeah, and I asked how you're doing? So, like what more do you want from this? You want a time travel bitch? Like what are we talking about? You should leave. I'm gonna go. I'm so sad for what I did.
Speaker 1: I'm leaving, Like what is your goal here? Oh? Meet okay? I also meet Ball? Who listens? I meet Ball. I saw your clip.
Speaker 2: I saw your clip that people like heat a rivalry a little too much and we're on Well I heard that, and I do take it as a personal attack, and I do make it.
Speaker 3: I saw your clip about the Zoom bachelortte party that we were both.
Speaker 2: At the way I didn't do my hair or makeup for Nicole byer A Giant Stars podcast, Like.
Speaker 1: That was the day? Did the Netflix like poker tournament too? Like I who's like I got to blow out the next day? Like it sickens me.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but yeah, yeah Zoom, you're usually on top of the blowouts.
Speaker 1: I was just like in l I don't know. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope everybody had an enjoy enjoyed there. And if that woman that I stepped on was at all normal, I'd be like, let's do a shot.
Speaker 1: Like it's like you, what is your goal? What is your actual goal here?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Some people are just miserable. Oh you know, we.
Speaker 2: Didn't even talk about empire state of mind engagement?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's with those people there?
Speaker 3: Russians? I love that we Oh we have backstory, okay, because I haven't like so they do have a z I've seen the me I saw the original and then the memes and I don't know anything about them.
Speaker 2: Well they're so hot, so I did find them on the internet. She has over a million followers, like she's she does this and.
Speaker 3: So that she's a he's a free climber or like a prank kind of person climbing climbing it's ok but I don't think it's free, Like she's cooler than it's like sexy climbing, I would call it okay.
Speaker 2: So her and this guy like they were competitors, Like she's like, that's my competition in this like climbing universe.
Speaker 1: She was like, that's like my enemy.
Speaker 2: And then then she was like, wait, he's so hot, and so they start dating, they start climbing together. She realized she can trust him, so her whole instagram is them on cliffs and bridges and all these places and they're making out on these peaks of like in the cities.
Speaker 1: They set this up.
Speaker 2: She already had money set aside, so she had her legal team ready, like they knew they were gonna get in trouble.
Speaker 1: And then people are like, was the engagement planned?
Speaker 2: But then someone saw a story was like, no, that's a Russian girl and you could sell her nails weren't filled in.
Speaker 1: The bitch didn't know she would have had a fresh set.
Speaker 2: But then I saw a video from not this climb, but a different climb, and it's all in Russian, and it's just like her being like.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, they're so hot. Yeah. Yeah, it's like the thing that's ever happened.
Speaker 2: And so so there's like another peak and there's a video and it's all in Russian, but it's her being like, these pictures look like shit, why the fuck did we climb up here if you're not even gonna take one good picture, not one good frame. And he's like, you're gonna lose your strength. We have to climb back down, like stop it, these photos are fine, and she goes, they're not okay, and we need to take more photos. So they're like on a click on a tip of a building, fighting about the quality of the photos he's taken, and it really warmed my heart.
Speaker 3: Like, okay, wait, so I'm looking at her Instagram four million followers, insane.
Speaker 2: But it was one million. Now it's for us. She's gained a few.
Speaker 3: All you have to do is climb the empire, stabolding and get engaged and you can really pop off your following. But they have a Netflix yeah, coming literally this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're geniuses, I think.
Speaker 2: So this was basically promo for the Netflix too, because I'll be watching Skywalker's a Love Story Netflix to line nineteen. This is not a paid advertisement.
Speaker 1: We're just interested.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, oh my god. It's like I'm not even scared of heights, but just watching them do this is like whoa you know, yeah, like no, no.
Speaker 1: They feel really casual.
Speaker 2: They feel really like comfortable up in the skies.
Speaker 3: And what's gonna happen. They're gonna end up getting like a fine right, They're not like gonna go to jails.
Speaker 2: Well they have like eight charges, Like so I'm not sure, but I mean, well, you know, we'll follow the case.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 3: I also saw the clip of Peter Herman being on Yah like proposing to her in her show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's part of the audience.
Speaker 2: There's like a few scenes where I was like, oh, the audience participation makes sense, Like I love it, Okay, I get it. And then but like the shouting, like I just think, yeah, I just really feel like it took me out and I don't really like it. I bought a magnet. I was thrilled to see her. I had a great time. It was awesome.
Speaker 3: And it's like, if you actually do like mrcarcite and you respect her, you know that she's a Broadway Stan loves Broadway.
Speaker 1: This is her Broadway debut.
Speaker 3: She doesn't need you to scream out about her real life celebrity during her Broadway show, like that's it's just so rude. I don't know, everybody thinks they're so funny and clever.
Speaker 2: Oh, and goes, that's narcissism, and I got yeah, yeah, to scream out in a Broadway show, you are out of your mind. But that's what happens when you have the whole audience hollering mm hmm. You know it's it makes no sense, It makes no sense.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I hope everybody had a nice fourth Let's get started right with today's episode.
Speaker 3: Before that, obviously that's messed up. Live dot com. You can go to four links to Lisa's touring schedule, links to our merch get our Louise Lewis, Lewis Lewis, we should get a Tommy thing going on for the following.
Speaker 2: I ran into my friend yesterday and he was just like, dressed better than normal.
Speaker 1: Did I already say this?
Speaker 2: But like I looked at him and I went, did someone send you freak clothes? And he goes, yeah, that's really fun.
Speaker 4: I loved it.
Speaker 3: So, as Liza mentioned, very funny comedian Micah Fox and her funny boyfriend, comedian Tim McLaughlin are going to be our guests on our Patreon episode that just dropped last week. And we've never talked to a couple that loves SVU together before and we have a really funny conversation with them. So but if you're interested in our Patreon, it's patreon dot com slash that's messed up and we love talking to all the tommies over there. So yeah, check that out and let's get started a big episode today.
Speaker 2: Okay, today we're doing Starstruck victims.
Speaker 1: There's a young girl.
Speaker 2: She's in an orange mini skirt and then she has like a fur feather vibe cropped coat as she's in the r waiting room and she is annoyed. She's taping everything on her phone and she's like vlogging and I thought like was kind of a weird, out of touch word, but she uses it later and she's a twenty sixteen Yeah yeah, yeah, like now you would just be an influencer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we would never save flagging.
Speaker 2: But she's been there for two hours and says that she had an officer assigned to her, but she's flirting with another uniform person at the desk, and so the cops are flirting, so too busy, and then she's waiting for a sexual assault nurse to be free, and everything hurts and she can't ingest anything for the test. You know, they want everything they can get, but she keeps gagging because she's so grossed out at like the taste of this person for hours. So then Jen comes in and she's the nurse, and you know, our girl is secretly recording everything. They go to a private room and Jen clocks the phone and she's like, you can't record anything. It's hospital policy. And she goes seriously and it's like, you can't record your own care. That's so fucked up, and it's obviously for lawsuits and hospital stuff. Like I understand why you don't want that, but like that's a policy. I think that's crazy. I think it's crazy that you can't like videotape directions or your experience at the hospital. I don't get it, especially if you're in a room on your own, like you're in a private room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really don't get it. So she picks the phone back up.
Speaker 2: When the exam is done, though, and the detectives walk in and she leans her phone on a bottle of rubbing alcohol horizontally to record, and so it's Rollin's and creasy. She starts crying and she says that she was raped in a nightclub restroom, and then she's like, oh, I have a photo of him on my phone. And when she goes to grab the phone, Crisey's like, whoao are you recording this? And she's like, yeah, I'm a vlogger and she says, my followers want to know everything, and she's looking at him like he's so stupid, and they freeze and somber music starts playing, and when she points the camera at them and she goes, what are your names? And then it's the credits, So now it's Benson and well not in episode two, but these credits. I think it's like her sexiest hair. It's a lob straight down the middle part. It's just it's giving everything I want. And Gallagher aka Eyebrows aka Daddy Dodds is holding the New York Ledger aka the New York Post of the Suvu universe, and it's Hank Abraham's face.
Speaker 1: If you can remember, he was not Chief of D's, but he.
Speaker 2: Was like high up and he was a pedophile and was married to Pippacocks, and the headline says, so long Hank and Daddy Dodds goes, well, he was never one of us. He was a political appointee. And it's like, aren't you like and you like placed your son somewhere like you're playing little games too. But he slams the paper down on Benson's desk and says, well, nobody's losing sleep over him, and Benson goes, well, we sure did. Like hip is Yeah, it's like they broke the fucking case. She says she has never met anybody, so I hate this word. It's really hard for me. Compart to mentalize, compart mentalized. He is, so, it's like not natural. These are not natural letters put together.
Speaker 1: I would say I.
Speaker 3: Break it up into compart and mentalized, compartmentalized, compartmentalized.
Speaker 2: That was a really good little tip, m compartmentalized. Okay, look at that. So then DoD says, hey, anything to get through the day, I just can't. And then he goes, so, anyways, my son, he told his dad that he's learned a lot under her, and she goes, yeah, I mean he works hard, he's a good cop and he takes that and goes, well, so you agree it's time for him to take a more high profile role and she goes, yeah, he mentions joint terrorism, like he mentioned it, and he goes, well, listen, I'm asking when the time comes, give him a good recommendation. And she gets up and goes, you don't even have to ask about this chief. And it's also like she's the chief of son. Yeah, Like obviously having your immediate boss recue is great, but it's like, stop pretending you didn't just assign your son somewhere and you're gonna try to assign him somewhere else.
Speaker 1: But he does die, so that sucks. But like, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: He's like going through the motions of like so that it looks good. It looks like he didn't just get placed, right, He's got a glowing recommendation from Benson whatever you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yea yeah, a person he barely acts like he respects.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we pan over to Rollin.
Speaker 2: She's at her desk and she's watching the club footage on a laptop. DoD's in creasy flank her standing and Daddy goes to touch his son to chap. They look at the screen and Daddy's like, wait, hold up, that's the TV actor and they're like, yeah, she was assaulted at his club last night, Bobby Dee's hide Away.
Speaker 1: I do wonder what this is based on. And I know you're going to go through the crimes.
Speaker 2: And I don't think Bradley Cooper's new Philly cheese stick spot in the East Village is newer, but it has like a silly name.
Speaker 1: Like this, let me look at Bradley Cooper. Like even when justin Timberlake had a restaurant.
Speaker 2: Like look, how close it's Danny and Coop's Cheese Steaks. Yeah, and a friend brought them over and they were good. It was good, Like people like it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I was.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised it has the name in it. It's just calling it Bobby D's Hideaway.
Speaker 3: It's like people don't usually name the place after themselves.
Speaker 1: No, they usually do people they do a nightclub. Oh no, you're right, you know. I feel like you'd be like.
Speaker 3: Oh, like Susan Sarandon has this club called Spin or whatever, you know, like a.
Speaker 1: Ping pong club.
Speaker 2: But that was just like something, you know, like you wouldn't be like, I don't know, it's just but Coop's chicken is that's fun? I mean, sure, you invented the chicken what? Oh wait, what did you say? Oh, Philly cheese stakes? Sorry, I think because of Coop. No, I think he's what is bread the Coops. So I don't know who Danny is, but he's Coops.
Speaker 1: He's Coops, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Bobby these hideaway. Okay, Daddy is confused and I have to stop calling him that. So Daddy Dodds is confused that she recorded it, and they go, yeah, that's like from the start of her night, and but he is not who she even accused. She accused the bar manager, Noel Panko, and he followed her into the bathroom and raped and sodomized her. And then Daddy Dodds is like, okay, I'll holler at Bobby and see what he has to say about it. Careasey spins around fast like crossed arms, hair is so gelled. He goes, you know, Bobby Demico, he's a friend of the department, Daddy dodd says, and then Bobby Dodds, Baby Dods, I mean, I mean I cannot keep up, like okay, Baby Dodds, Andy Carl adds, well, he bought us a bunch of Nobu dinners while he was getting ready for a cop roll.
Speaker 1: I want to eat Nobu so bad. So he goes, Listen, Bobby is good.
Speaker 2: He's always on the podium for the widow and sad kid charities and Ben because that's yeah, whatever, anyone that donates to police, we have to assume they are guilty of a crime, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I guess I sort of thought when he said the widows and kids that he was talking about nine to eleven victims.
Speaker 1: But you know that I always have nine to eleven on the brain. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I think it's like if your cop but partner is murdered, yes, and if yeah, and the family should be taken care of.
Speaker 1: For sure. I'm not, but you're correct.
Speaker 2: Like, if you're a guy that's constantly on a podium and a cop cops the cops, you're you need them for something?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Benson goes, could we hold off on calling him please? Like, would like to do an investigation before you call in your buddy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he just goes, listen.
Speaker 2: You know, I just people with celebs they see an easy payday, Like, what is what is so easy? About these pay days. That's what I'd like to know. It seems pretty hard because it seems like, yeah, so the whole squad is done, and Baby Dodds is definitely like, ugh, dad, stop embarrassing me in front of all of my new friends. And then Benson turns to her team and goes okay, wow, but only with her face. And then Karsi's like, well that was subtle, and Baby Dodds goes, listen, I am not a fan of Bobby Demiico.
Speaker 1: Just so you all know. Now, we see that Christy was at a bar with a friend.
Speaker 2: She didn't disclose to her friend because she didn't want to ruin her friend's birthday.
Speaker 1: Like they're young though, But.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I still feel like i'd be like, hey, i'm not feeling good, I'm gonna head home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know she is party.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not blaming. I'm not victim blaming. I'm just knowing.
Speaker 2: No, it's just it's really nice to think of your friend's birthday, but it's going to be used against you in the court of lobby. Unfortunately, you can't smile after, you can't be a good friend. They're gonna use it against you cannot have fun ever again that you can't drink. I don't know, but I do hear about people getting acts out of weddings for less. You left my birthday after you've got assaulted, You bitch, you're out? Yeah right, So but you know, they go, let's go talk to the friends. See what she saw. So they go to a pet store called Furry Rascals Lol. Obsessed, she's shocked to hear about the rape. She was there till after three. She put her friend in a cab. They're like, okay, but what happened before? She's like, we were together the whole time. We went out to smoke some SIGs. But that wasn't even until after two, and they were playing Billy Joel by then. She shocks, you know again about the ripe. Okay, so the Billy Joel was playing. They were both drunk. She says, no one was creepy. They're mostly at the bar with the manager and she's like, maybe like he can help. He was super attentive and she goes, and if you go to a bar with Christy, you never pay for drinks. Even Bobby Demiko was flirting with her. Chrissy danced Chris Christy danced with him. They made out a little and so now we cut and we're in like a revolutionary drag moment and it's jazz Man from Sex in the City.
Speaker 1: Hello, a true dream come true.
Speaker 2: And he's also in a season five episode escape We love him and there is a knife to a throat type situation. Obviously we didn't try and travel. We are in the sv universe. We know we're on a set and we hear a cut and there's a bunch of men in probably fake Canadian Goose or whatever jackets, but the logo is there, so I was wondering if svu's sprung for the real Jackets or if they're bootlegs. But Baby Dodds is there and it seems like a casual meetup and super friendly because they do know each other, and he's like, wow, this looks good and jaz Man's like, yeah, it's just like Napoleon in America. The concept is what if Napoleon invaded the US instead of Russia and he goes it's called The Resistance on Netflix. And I just find this so fucking funny because it seems like they would have to take a boat all the way to the US, Like, why would they do that? I mean, am I being silly? Like Russia is closer to France?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: Is that? Or was there more too?
Speaker 3: I just don't know enough about the geography of how Napoleon got to France and the history of I mean, how Napoleon got to Russia.
Speaker 2: But this show obviously is making fun of something and I do love that. And now they're doing a walk and talk. He goes, listen, the reason I hit you up is because something might have happened at the club last night. He goes, really, I was there the whole time. And he's like, well about your manager? He goes, I mean, I can tell you when the manager lost his virginity. That's my boy. We go way back. We're childhood friends. And he says, why are you here, Like is this about Noel? I stopped playing games. I played a cop for ten seasons. Do you not remember the Nobuo dinners? Yes, stop fucking with me, And he shows the photo the girl and he goes, oh, I know her friend's birthday. We got them drinks. Nice to have cute girls at the bar. And this guy is how I be like clearly asemall and he wants Dodds to tell him what she said, and he's like, no, why don't you tell me what happened?
Speaker 1: He calls her a freak.
Speaker 2: He says, we danced, we made out, and then we made love in the bathroom for three minutes. Calls it consensual, but it's like three minutes as psychotic, and then Dodds clarifies to just you and he goes, well, first, but then Noel came in and she took care of him too, and so that's what everyone wants, a three minute Like DP, what are we talking about? So then he asked if she was fine with that, and he goes, oh yeah, very into it. Not her first rodeo, and he's like, it's a shakedown.
Speaker 1: It's a shakedown. Baby. Dodds is not into any of this.
Speaker 2: So we're back at work and Benson's like, oh yeah, okay, one big consensual three way in the bathroom and then Dodds is like, yep, not shy about it, and Rollins goes, they're childhood friends.
Speaker 1: He's gonna have his boys back.
Speaker 2: But like, Bobby's also not a fucking idiot, so like, why would he put himself in the bathroom with her? If he wasn't there, so like, obviously something happened in that little bathroom, and Creasy is being bad boy, bad boy and goes, well, she was dancing after so she claims she was assaulted. Why was she dancing? So then obviously the women at the office were like, excuse me, like we all know post assault behavior varies. And then Benson adds like, even if she did fuck actor boy and the other guy could have still a celt at her, like hello, And then in the meantime, Christian like, let's bring Christian and let her tell us what else she didn't tell us. That makes sense, right, Okay, So then the manager is so short, and I don't you know, it's fine, short people exist, but like he is really a tiny man in this. I don't think we've seen a shorter man caring. You didn't clock this, you didn't clock I didn't clock the shortness. He seemed shorter. I think also because Craig Birco is tall, he seems not even here. We're with the detectives, we're with the rives, and he's moving the boxes. He's moving them up and the boxes are taking up half his body, and the Dods and Benson are following him and they have to take really tiny steps and then he's like, Bobby called me, what the fuck is up? That girl sucks? And Dodd's playing in them like, I know, you know, whatever she is, she does suck. I'm sure she's just mad you didn't send flowers, but she did go to the er, and Benson's acting done, like how do you think she could have gotten hur and he's like, I don't know, but you got three people in a small child bathroom while things happen, and they're like, so she was into it and he says yes, and then he calls Bobby catnip for the ladies and then they're like, okay, well, like we're talking about you, what are the girls doing for you? And he's like, I get my fair share of the runoffs, which is like so pukeworthy, Like can you imagine that being like your dating life or your goals is just like I'll get the runoffs of my friend. I mean it's worse. They're obviously rapists, but it's just like crazy to.
Speaker 1: Resign to that.
Speaker 2: They're like, we heard you join later and he goes, well, I want to look for him, and then saw he was busy but she invited me and Benson goes, she did very surprised, and she asked, well, what did she say exactly? And he starts backtracking, like, oh, maybe Bobby's who said it, and like were their cameras? Like why don't you just show us the footage? And he goes, yeah, take all the cameras you want. So he says she was twerking to last call. So then we see footage of the makeout and it's on a laptop. Now Chrisy is showing Christian woodroom blinds the makeout.
Speaker 1: She resigns and goes, ugh, we made out.
Speaker 2: I didn't want you to think I was a slut, and Rollins tells her she needs to be honest with them, and she's like, it was just oral with Bobby. Then Noel came in and he like knew we were in there, like he knew, and she was not okay with it, and Bobby's like, can he join? And she goes no, and he started to guilt her and going look at those puppy dog eyes.
Speaker 1: You hurt his feelings.
Speaker 2: And then spy window is Daddy Dodds, Benson and Barbara, and Barba says, oh, that's way too cheesy for her to have made up. And then Daddy Dodds is like, what the fuck, Like I don't know, like this girl has no grip on reality, and Benson's goes shut the fuck up, and so then Christy says she was drunk and Bobby was gone when the door opened, and the little guy stayed and she was rinsing her face and he shoved her face into the sink and raped her from behind. And the problem is, ten minutes later, she was dancing like nothing happened. So that's obviously like doesn't look good to like regular brain to people who don't get this. So then she sighs like I told you it was her birthday and I didn't want to bum her out.
Speaker 1: No rape me, I swear to God.
Speaker 2: And then it's knock knock, knock on the glass Rollin's and Creasy Leave Rollin says, I know it looks bad, and Daddy calls her a train wreck. It's like they all treat her like such a mess this whole episode. But she doesn't even seem that crazy to me. No, I mean, she sat pretty in the er for hours and I don't know if that's like where she's sobered up, but she seems pretty with it, Like, I don't see the craziness. Why would she do a rape kit like and to do a shakedown also against the actor when it's two of them, when it's your your word against two guys, Like, that's not really how you would do it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: But we'll see in the in in one of the regular cases.
Speaker 3: Also, this actress is named Vivian Cardone and she was in eighty nine episodes of Everwood.
Speaker 1: Is that a show you ever heard?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: It's got to like Treat Williams and Emily Van Camp It was.
Speaker 2: I feel like it was CW. Right, Yes, yeah, I think so. It was like a CW and Chris.
Speaker 1: Not to be confused with Deadwood.
Speaker 2: Yes, Everwood very different from We did go on Father's Day, by the way to the real dead Wood, no stop. Yes, my kids did this thing where they had to find twenty five pictures of wild Bill Hiccock all over the town. And we just walked around the town and my kids were looking for pictures of wild Bill Hiccock so they could get a bag of chocolate. It was so stupid and funny. Chris Pratt was on this show for a guy who played the nflct uh Tree Williams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Scott Wolfe, Sarah Drew. We got lots of SVU alums here too.
Speaker 2: Sarah Drew is the girl from the drunk episode responsible anyway. Ever would, Ever would for anybody that's interested this girl from everyone. I don't know if she acts that much anymore, but Ever would. And Benson, that you know, is like, listen, I know she's not the most credible victim, but something definitely happened to her, and Barba says, probably a lot of things, but I have to focus on court and she's a fucking liar and they cut him off.
Speaker 1: None of that means she wasn't raped.
Speaker 2: And Dodds keeps being annoying as well, and they say we've taken you know. They're like, we've taken tougher cases and Barbara goes, okay, but we have to pick our cases, and Chriasy says the story is compromised, and baby Dodds is like, listen, what about if we find a pattern like he must have they must have done this before, and so I love him for that, and Barba says, that's up to Lieutenant. And then daddy Dodds goes, no, it's up to me, and he doesn't want to move forward with the case because his little.
Speaker 1: Friend because of this guy.
Speaker 2: Yep, and baby Dodds makes a face like, oh my fucking dad. And then Benson tells the girl the bad news and she's like, but I was raped, and Benson goes, no, I believe you, but like, it's just hard to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, and Christy regrets saying anything. At the hospital, Benson reminds her that the rape kit stays on file and the case stays open, and she calls herself stupid. I was so excited to have a big start interested in me. And so then now we caught to a baby talking to daddy and he hangs up and tells the squad that Bobby says he owes us one.
Speaker 1: Why would an innocent person say that? Yeah? Yeah, that didn't sit well.
Speaker 2: So Benson goes, oh, great, like and so then Rollins is like, fuck this, Okay, the girl's a hot mess, but do we really think that she cried rape for attention? And Chreasy goes, well, she has a twenty four to seven blogger and Rollins has been going through three years.
Speaker 1: Of her posts.
Speaker 2: She's partied with a lot of celebs, like a celeb wouldn't like truly spin her out. She posts every single photo. She wants people to know she's having fun, and Benson goes, well, not anymore. Her newest vlog is going viral. They all cried around the computer. She says the NYPD won't help her, so she spills all the details. She named checks Olivia Benson. She's crying, explaining what happened? Why did I say it like that?
Speaker 1: She's crying, that was so Chicago somber music. Wow.
Speaker 2: He calls Daddy Dodd's Bill and I don't think I ever realized that was his name. And then he calls the girl out of control and how she's throwing his name in the garbage, and he says, I got a golden globe and I went to Yale. And it's like, so does Claar Danes And you don't see her raping?
Speaker 1: Nope? Okay.
Speaker 2: So he's livid and we're a Daddy's office and Baby Dads is like, hey, like nobody is denying that it started consensual, And the jazz man's eyes open wide and the facial hairs on point and then he's like, you're actually gonna take this nut job seriously And he's like the vlog pissed on you, just like me, and Benson goes, yeah, sure, we'll chat with her about it, like our egos are normal, Like what the fuck?
Speaker 1: That's like? What it bothers me?
Speaker 2: When CoP's like even when I was threatened with a baton, I guess, but it's this thing of like you can't even taunt to Cop, Like the whole point is you're supposed to better than us, Like the whole point is like you're heroes and you're sacrificing everything, but like we can't make fun of you. You can't handle a dumb bitch yelling at you like I don't freedom of speech? Yeah, then you shouldn't be a call, you know, like him being like but she talks shit about you, and it's like, yeah, like that's fine, that doesn't bother me.
Speaker 1: I'm a professional, I bet so.
Speaker 2: Anyways, somehow we keep our emotions at bay and you seem out of your mind. Actually, you know, sir Bobby Demiko, Why does Bobby Demico sound so familiar? You have?
Speaker 1: It feels like a very SVU name.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Like, you're right, it does, like I think there's oh my god.
Speaker 1: It's I'm thinking of Brad Miko.
Speaker 2: He is the doctor that's trying to go on a date with Carrie Bradshaw and the Hampton's.
Speaker 1: I think that's what I'm thinking about.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yes, Brad Miko, right, Okay, it's doctor Bradley Migo.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's what I'm thinking about.
Speaker 2: Bradley Migo. And Bobby Demico's kind of different. But maybe I just think Bobby Demico totally sounds like a character on this show, Like we've seen another guy whose name was like Billy Demont's like, you know Billy.
Speaker 1: So I don't know. I'm like, now I'm sounding yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, I'm back. I'm back.
Speaker 2: Anyways, So we're back at the precinct. She's walking in with a new zest in her step. She's like, I have one hundred thousand followers. People want to know what happened. And they walk into wood room blinds and Carasey's like, you should have told us the truth, not the internet, and she says, fuck you. You guys have Bobby's back and you don't care about me, which fair Rollin's and Creasy sit with her and say, this is your last chance. You have to tell us exactly what happened. She's like, I told you I was giving him or or. She says, I was giving him oral when the little guy walked in and Bobby asked if he can join, but I wasn't into that, and he said, you're gonna hurt his feelings. She told him she wanted to go upstairs. He told her, you can't leave me like that. You have to finish what you started. He pushed her head down till he was done. Noel watched, then Bobby left. She walked to the sink. Noel pushed in from behind and raped her. Now we cut to Baby Dodds and Benson with Bobby Demico and he's like, I told you she wanted it, and they bring up him leaving with Noel like still in there, and he goes, whatever Noel said happened, I'm sure she wanted it, and Benson goes, well, how can you be sure?
Speaker 1: Like what exactly did she say that made you think?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: What are her exact words? And she goes, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Her head was in my lap, and Benson goes excuse me, And Daddy Dodds gets up to smooth it over and then gives him a clue and goes, maybe you shouldn't be talking without your lawyer. I know that was wild. You never suggests a lawyer, well, especially like fuck you, So whose side are you on?
Speaker 1: Benson gets up from HER's chair.
Speaker 2: She's shocked, like, why the fuck would you tell him to lawyer up when he's talking? And he says, well, she's making public accusations, and he says he can be. You know, he's as much of a victim as she is. Honestly, when people like it's like.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: He says it okay, so whatever, he thinks that Bobby Demico is the victim of this situation because we know that that happens all the time.
Speaker 3: So then Bill and we don't want to ruin this innocent young man's life. He's got the future ahead of them. So then baby okay.
Speaker 2: So then baby Daddy steps to Baby Dodds steps to Daddy Dodds and goes, Okay, what do you think we should do now? And he says I already told you not to press charges, and Ben's goes, yeah, that's before she named another rapist who's like this guy and we keep forgetting about it and I'm so fucking annoyed, and he goes, let's be real here. The sooner this goes away, the better this is for everyone. We are back in the woodroom blinds and Creasy is convincing her to put the vlog down. She refuses. He wants her to put the phone down. She goes, no, people are being supportive, and then she goes and look at this. Another accusations will you look at that? And so basically like someone is writing like this happens to me. I know, I know exactly what you're talking about. So they go talk to who left that comment, and that's Sarah Brown who left the on Chrissy's blog, and she's like, hello, privacy, and they're like, do you not read the terms and conditions, you dumb bitch. So they're there Chrisye and Rollins are like, hey, you sound like you want to help her, and she goes, yeah, I just want to let her know, like she's not the only one going through this and I get it, and she confirms it happened to her. She was going down on him. The door opened, it was nol he knew they were in there. Bobby asked if he could take care of his little friend and she said know, and the same line was given, Oh I look at those puppy eyes. You hurt his feelings and then Rollins gives Cariesy a smug look.
Speaker 1: It is crazy.
Speaker 2: It's like, why don't you just want I mean, you're a rapist, Like, why can't you just try to hook up with girls who want to hook.
Speaker 4: Up with you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And every time it's like what you're I think it's like they're trying to make it seem like the Bobby Dimico could get anything he wants, but he helps his buddy out because he just has so many girls around him. But also it's power thing, right, It's never about like, oh I can't get girls like you're a bartender. You're not ugly. I know you said he's very short, but he's not. You know, I went on a date with a short person last week. I'm not hating on it. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it just looks very shocking. He's he's as high as the sink. I don't even know how hevent this girl over to rag her.
Speaker 1: I just think the point of.
Speaker 3: It is that like they like doing this together or working together and being like haha, fuck these girls and let's just do it like I don't know, be like do a power play together.
Speaker 2: And it's like, Bobby, what does this guy have on you? Because it seems like these girls willingly want to fuck. Yeah, yeah, so Bobby whatever. So again Bobby pushed her head down and Pinko raped from behind, is what this girl says. So Chrisy goes, why didn't you go to the cops? And it's like, are you really asking her that? As you're screwing over this victim Christie right now, exactly, why don't you go to the cops where we dismiss you and call you a stupid crazy bitch and a train rack like what the fuck are you even asking crazy?
Speaker 1: And she goes, listen, I was drunk.
Speaker 2: I did accept his invitation to go down there, like I didn't think anyone would care about it, and like you know in Core, it's and I don't want to lose my job. So we find out she's a PA on this Netflix series, so now she can't like she doesn't want to lose her jobs, so she's really like doesn't want to testify or take this any further. So now the squad's having a meeting with Barba at the precinct and the consistent stories, and Baby Dodds is like, I bet they do this every weekend. And Bobby gets, you know, like the cute girl the free drinks, and then his friend comes in and they're giving Barba the fact and this is like whoa, whoa, whoa. I'm not saying these guys don't suck. I'm just saying I still can't prosecute, and Benson goes, hold on, wait, there are other girls, and Rollins explains that Christy had to turn off the comments actually eventually because the love quickly went to hate. So none of the victims have called the precinct yet. But all of this is just like very complicated, and everyone's being annoyed. Everyone's being annoying. So Rollin's is working at her desk and he walks by, who's he? I don't even know, I'm at Baby Dodds. Oh my god, this is making my blood boil. So Rollin's is working at the desk and then Baby Dodds walks by and goes, don't you have a baby at home? And it's like, you're a baby and then she goes, yep, have a great nanny, Lucy part two. They cloned her, so then, sorry, I got a lot of respect. Must be tough being a working mother. And she says, want to know what's tough seeing two ass hats getting away with rape? And Dodd says, hey, no case is no case and Rollins is trying to get some words in and he just keeps being like she's crazy, she's mental and unstable. You get that right, And she goes, yeah, yeah, you think I have a blind spot because of my sister, don't you? And he's like, no, not at all. And she goes, you know what, you know that they're fucking guilty, and you know your dad's friend is also fucking guilty. And he starts walking towards her and being like, oh, you think I'm a daddy's boy and she goes, oh no, no, no, no, don't uhuh and he goes, listen, I hate these guys, but unless they get caught in the act, they're gonna keep doing it and getting away with it. And Rollins is like, great, you're just fine with all that, and he goes, why don't you clock out and go home? And she pours coffee and goes, why don't you stop telling me what to do, sergeant, and she slams down her laptop in frustration. I would have honestly slapped him in the face. So okay, so whatever. So now they I guess they've never met Rollin's through this whole time, which I didn't clock.
Speaker 1: But she goes to the bar doing what she does best. Baby girl.
Speaker 2: She's she's gonna flirt, she's gonna be hot, she's gonna flirt, and she's gonna get these guys.
Speaker 1: So she's taking shots with.
Speaker 2: Bobby, telling him how her mama is gonna like flip out, and he's like, oh, your mom's here with you, and she goes, well, what kind of vacation would that be?
Speaker 1: And he's like, oh, it's a big city. A girl can get into trouble.
Speaker 2: And she's acting like super tipsy and gets closer to him and goes, boys, when will they learn some girls like trouble. There's some hand touching. He makes eyes with Noel. They raise their eyebrows at each other. She's hooking up with him in the bathroom. She doesn't want it to go further. She keeps pulling her skirt down and going, you know, it's like just the heavy makeout and she's like, I have a boyfriend.
Speaker 1: I have a boyfriend.
Speaker 2: He says, I'll keep the secret, and it's like no means no, Like that's another thing, like.
Speaker 1: I actually like to me, I don't think it's just to me.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure it wasn't an original thing and I saw it on Instagram. But when people don't accept no right away, it like I kind of get a red alarm. Like I like if I say oh, no, thanks, and then you ask again, it's like, well, already said no, So I don't understand what's happening here. Yeah, I like, I don't understand asking again, and that's rape culture and stuff, but it's just it.
Speaker 1: Bothers Irwin.
Speaker 2: Someone doesn't want to drink and it's like no I don't want Oh well why not?
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 2: Who gives a shit? Why not just shut the fuck up and take care of an answer? Like bothers me. I was sexing with someone and they asked for something and I was like no, and then they asked again and I was like, well, this is done and I never will talk to you again, Like are you out of your mind?
Speaker 5: Ye?
Speaker 1: Like it's just to me. Maybe it's because of the show, but like, uh, it really it really clocks.
Speaker 2: Is like if you have to pull your skirt down more than once, that's like an issue, I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So then Noel comes into and then he locks the door, and then he takes off his jacket and gets close and starts to kiss Rollin's neck as Bobby holds her from behind and she keeps saying no, and then Bobby says, this will be a good story to take back home with you, and she's like, I want to go back upstairs. They will not let her. They're pulling her down. This is like a really aggressive scene. They're pulling her down to the ground, both of them, and Nola's like, baby, isn't this what you came here for. It's like not you, not you, Nol. Also though, like I'm so Rollins, like what you went there with no backup?
Speaker 3: Like you didn't you just like didn't even have some old cop buddy or maybe one of your gambling buddies there to like watch your ass, Like you just knew you could handle this on your own. Two guys locking a door, locking you in a bathroom, like exactly what you kind of wanted to happen is happening right? You wanted to bust them doing what they're doing, and it's just so dumb to not have any backup.
Speaker 2: So she needs him and he goes down fast, and then she grabs Bobby and slams his face against the wall and says, if you move, I will snap your arm, and then Nola's holding his dick on the ground love that. He says, sorry if you misunderstood. She says, I didn't misunderstand anything. She grabs her coat and leaves, and he runs after her and she tells him to stay away. Then Baby Dodds is there. He did follow her, and Bobby goes, oh, hey, nice to see you, but he looks worried, and then he asks if they know each other. Amanda says no, and Baby Dodds, I hate him, goes, yeah, we do. We work together. So then this guy's eyes go huge. You're a cop. She goes, yep, I was gonna wait till tomorrow, but you're under arrest for attempted rape. And Dodds doesn't want him to be taken down to the station. She drags him aside, like what the fuck, and they're outside there's sirens going, and like he is in the back of a car. But then they're fighting outside Dodds and Rawlins and he's like, you can't arrest him, and she goes cause your daddy said so. And he's like, well, no, you went undercover without authorization, and it's like Benson would have like authorized this. Yeah, I don't know why she didn't just go through official channels, obviously because of the script, but like, I don't know why she Well.
Speaker 3: Maybe she because Benson was told by Dodds like, don't keep doing this, so she wouldn't have authored.
Speaker 1: She might not have authorized like an undercover op.
Speaker 2: But the suspect's already lawyered up and because Daddy Dodds told him to in that morning, and so Rollin's is stunned. So it's like an open investigation. He already has counsel. And then like, guess who shows up to the scene of a crime. Buchanan, son of a bit, she says, and he calls her a honey trap and is like, oh, are these what new mothers are wearing these days? She says, save it, like you don't know a mom who's kind of slutty. Shut up, Buchanan, they have to uncuff him and let him out of the police car, and Baby Dodds tells Buchanan they're not off the hook yet. And now we're watching the taped footage. It's insane, and Barba's like, whoa, wow, you used yourself as bait, And so Rollin's goes, well, Dodds is the one who said we needed to catch him in the act, and so Benson goes, oh, so it's his idea, and now I have to talk to your fucking dad. And then yeah, so she has two cops members that went rogue, and but oh really, but Dodds is being like a stand up guy, I guess right now, And then Barba says some legal words, very very sassy, and creasy starts brainstorming like, okay, they can't talk to the cops with counsel, but what if while the cops are legally talking to them, they commit a crime. And Barbara goes, Okay, that would be fun for like a bar exam question, not real life, you fucking idiot. So then Daddy Dodds walks in and is like, oh, what are we talking about Rollin's antics? Last night Bobby called and said that she came on to him him and she screams, they try to rape me. Like why is coming onto someone or dating someone or thinking someone's hot is like an invite to get raped. It's like so strange, Like all of the quote unquote reasoning or logic that's used to discredit victims just makes no sense. Yeah, it's like you were a slut last year, so you must have wanted to be raped.
Speaker 1: Like I don't get that. I just don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it makes no sense to me, And I can't believe it's so valid and used in court, right right right.
Speaker 3: And then if you are like if it's a woman that has like done sexual like yeah, like had a threesome or something, then it's like not her first rodeo. She loves this stuff. She's open for double pen like whenever. You know, it's so weird. So Benson goes, but listen, this like looks fucking bad.
Speaker 2: So they start playing the tape and it's like watch the tape, motherfucker.
Speaker 1: He barely will watch it.
Speaker 2: And they're gonna try to talk to like more online girls and Christy and like see if people will testify and make something happen, and like take these guys to court, and he's like, make sure Chrissy's phone is off, and bar is so mean to her but also hot, but he tells her to sit down.
Speaker 1: She listens immediately.
Speaker 2: And she goes, oh, you're the DA who doesn't think my case is good enough. Huh. But he is reconsidering and he does want to help. She gives Benson attitude and Benson's like, I'm on your side. She looks at Barbara and says, well, he's not. And he goes, do you blame me? What kind of witness do you want to be? And she says, I've always told the truth. He goes seriously, and the only thing is she didn't say she made out with someone. Like again, it's like and if it negates it, it's it's so like pervasive, this like rape culture vibes like it's so fucking strange. She goes, why the fuck did you even bring me down here to tell me it's impossible. He's like, no, we brought you down here to show you what a taste of trial would look like.
Speaker 1: Like it's not everything's gonna be used against you.
Speaker 2: Everything looks bad, like everything, and it's like, well, what looks like the rape looks worse, but whatever, so her eyes are wet perfectly.
Speaker 1: She's a good actress.
Speaker 2: She goes, I didn't get raped so I could put it online, and she says, what those two did to me was the worst thing that ever happened to me. And I want to look them in the eyes and like, I want the jury to see what they did to me. Barbara likes that, so he nods it's happening. So now we're at a coffee car Benson and Creasy or chatting. He orders a Kaiser roll with butter and two coffees. I mean he orders that all the time. Oh really, I think that's his order.
Speaker 3: I believe that's what he's ordering at the diet at the deli. When the whole yuck deli like ugh, fucking hostage thing goes down, I feel like I remember because I used to eat those in high school, Like we used to have them. They would have pre buttered like buttered rolls at school that were Kaiser rolls with butter, and they were so fucking good.
Speaker 2: And whenever he orders it, I think about high school. So I think I think he's.
Speaker 1: Ordered it before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but to me, is it like toasted or not, Like I love bread and butter, but it's so much bread. It's so fluffy, like without sandwich and meat and stuff, Like I get toasted because I'll get toasted bagel with butter, like I am not.
Speaker 1: I would get French bread with butter.
Speaker 2: I'd put a hol on butter sourdough like I'm for bread and butter.
Speaker 1: Kaiser rolls are just so giant.
Speaker 3: I think when I was in high school they were maybe they were scooped out a little bit. They just they seemed like flat and they were bread and butter, no toasting, and they were so good.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm like really having a craving for one right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I mean I have like eight lines about the bread and butter, like I have to scroll up my notes to get back to the storyline. He says, Dodd's and rawlins got your message, and she rolls her eyes, and I'm like, huh, what was the message?
Speaker 1: Like I didn't, I didn't get the message.
Speaker 2: And she says, listen, DoD's covered for her, but she did this all on her own.
Speaker 1: I'm not fucking stupid. I'm swearing a lot.
Speaker 2: I think I'm just like in a hyped up mood, and I do apologize if that's something you're not into, so sorry listening.
Speaker 1: No one's ever reported that, I don't think.
Speaker 2: And then Benson goes and guess what, she didn't say anything about it to me yet, and Crasy's like, well she told me, and she's really upset. She goes, oh did she she knew you would fucking tell me? And Benson goes and I don't like little triangles, so you tell her it's talk to me. So now we're in Core. We're watching footage. Dodds is chatting with Barbara. But now it's Buchanan's turn, and it's Core. It's back and forth, you know what's up. It's like, nothing's too crazy. It's like your girl's a liar. She's not credible, you know. And then the two guys are sharing a lawyer. Obviously they're like raping together, but it's not always too smart. And then Buchanan turns to the jurying and like does jazz hands and goes, oh, I can't wait to see what stories she tells on the stand. Barbara objects and he's like, Judge, can you remind counsel that sarcasm is the weapon of the week, and she tells it's.
Speaker 1: Like such nerdy, like insult.
Speaker 2: She tells both men to chill out and like sustains the objection.
Speaker 1: So now the girl's on the stand.
Speaker 2: She explains what happens, but now it's Buchanan's turn, so that sucks. And again with the sarcasm, he goes, wait, you lie to the cops because you thought the rape was your fault. It's like that happens off it, yes, And it's like, yeah, hello, rape culture and you perpetuated all the time you can And judge is like, get to business, and he pulls up her website and it's like partying and fun with friends and he's like so and it's like, what's again, prom He keeps showing photos from earlier in the night, being like you were having fun, you were having fun, and she goes, well, yeah, I didn't know I was about to be raped. And then he brings up vlogs to poke holes and Barba stands up and it's like, okay, we already know she's inconsistent and lied to the cops.
Speaker 1: Can you leave her alone?
Speaker 2: And the judge You're like, no, I'm gonna allow this, and so He claims that she's doing this all for views, and he wants to prove the motive. She went from eight hundred views to nineteen thousand, cry rape and your numbers go up, and she's about to speak, but he cuts in and then shows the other video where she names names and that has four hundred and eleven thousand plus LIGs, and so he goes, it's pay by click, right, and she goes, no way, that's not why I did it. She wanted people to know what happened to her, and she wanted to leave it up, even if the cops asked her to take it down. And she's like getting super upset, and he repeats the same stuff about Nat naming Bobby right, and Barbara again has to be like, you're badgering, and the judge goes, yeah, Buchan, and move it along. So then, of course we knew it was gonna be brought up that she kept having fun at the bar, and he scoffs at this, and she says the same thing about not wanting to upset her friend, and he's like, look, you're dancing, you're drinking, and this is when you knew you were raped or did you know you had another fun story for your blog. Barbara objects, Buchanan withdraws, but it's like, go fuck yourself.
Speaker 1: So then you were having fun upstairs.
Speaker 2: You're having fun in the hallway, the dance floor, and the only time you claim you weren't having fun is that ten minute gap when there wasn't recording.
Speaker 1: And it's like, well, yeah, they knew where to rape her.
Speaker 2: That's where the rape happened, and honestly proves the rape if anything. So she's crying and it's like, yeah, it's their bar why would they rape in an open place? So she's openly weeping. Barbara looks pissed, Buchanan looks smug, Rollin's and Benson look frustrated. And now we have another rain walk and talk up the court stairs. Umbrellas are out Barbara and Benson, and she says, damn, that was brutal, and he's as well. She wanted her day in court. And now it's time for the men to go up. Barbara says, you know, to know them is to loathe them. He was up all night prepping and like he's about to get them, but he's like, I'm going to trick them into getting the judge to let me use Rollin's video to impeach them. They don't know it yet, but it's their last dance, he says. So now we're back in court and Buchanan has two witnesses and it's just the two guys, but he's like, actually, I don't want to bring them up.
Speaker 1: The prosecution failed.
Speaker 2: He goes, there's a lot of reasonable doubts and the defense isn't going to call any witnesses at all, And he's like, I feel chilling leaving it in the jury's hands. So he can't call them because you know, you can't force someone to like incriminate themselves.
Speaker 1: Like I didn't know that this could happen. So if the.
Speaker 2: Defense is like if they don't want to testify, they don't, and then Barbara.
Speaker 1: Can't get at that.
Speaker 3: I don't even know how Barbara was going to trick them into letting the video in, Like if the video is not allowed, like the video seems pretty like an un sanctioned cop undercover. Like op, yes, the video it was bad, but like I don't know how that would be let in at any moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, so.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't know how he's going to trick them, maybe like bringing it up, but you can't. It's not dumb like he would object. I don't know, I don't really understand. I don't understand this part really, So Barbara's panics outside the courtroom creasy because this, to me, is the only reason they would have even brought this to trial. Nothing has changed about this from the beginning when they said we will not prosecute. The only thing that's happened is that another girl came forward who said I cannot do it. I can't I will not testify, and then the Rawlins thing, which can't be used. So what is happening now that we are actually in court?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And the only thing the reason.
Speaker 2: I could see Barbara wanting them to go to court is he could do this little trick, and then the trick can't happen because they don't testify. Yeah, Criesy approaches Barbara in the hall and they're like, damn, she's the worst victim ever. It's like she's just stopped talking shit and we and we know she's not lying because we saw what they did to Rollins.
Speaker 1: And Cresey goes, this is worth the fight.
Speaker 2: He says, Hey, just so you also know I took the bar last weekend, and Barbara goes, good for you. He says, listen, you've been hard on me, but I want you to know that if I did pass the bar, its because of the time I spent working with you, and I admire you. I do love Creesy so much. Benson comes out of the elevators, hair a mess, phone in hand. She's like, the jury is back already. Creasy's like they just sat down, and Barbara goes, I doubt they even sat down. That's good writing. That's good writing. I love this scene. So now we're back in court. Verdicts not guilty. Obviously, she's stunned, but like not, it's none of this is surprising.
Speaker 1: Benson's in anguish.
Speaker 2: Barbara is thinking Dodds is upset but also plotting, and he watches the two guys walk out. Christy says she's a national joke and nobody will ever believe me. Rollin stops her and goes, I know exactly what those guys did to you, and she goes, well, nobody else whill Then bam, it's New York One news Hell. Yeah, an exclusive. They're playing the tape with Rollin's I'm fist bumping. I know it's silent.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm like.
Speaker 2: So fuck yes the court of public opinion, bitch. And that's why it's important to talk shit, spread news, show stuff, get online because justice simps is a failure. So the reporter is talking about how the judge didn't let the video in but they have the exclusive on the tape, and then we see Dodd's Careese Rollins watching it. Benson walks in and grabs the remote. Cariste goes, wow, talk about a waterloo? Did I look up the reference? No?
Speaker 1: Do I know? It's an Abba song? Yeah? And Napoleon reference. Oh come on, stop creasy go. I do love that song. That is one of ABBA's best songs.
Speaker 2: Carisy goes bye bye Netflix, and Dodds is like, oh, we'll see about that, and Chrisey goes, come on, he's toast. Benson coldly tells Rollins my office, please, So the battle of the amazing hair begins. She says, I swear to God live I didn't liak the video. Benson snaps, Oh'm supposed to believe you. Now you want undercover without informing me. This is another example of you asking for forgiveness instead of asking for permission. She starts stuttering to say something back. She's like, I'm not asking for forgiveness because I didn't do anything. Benson says, please stop as she walks back to her desk. She's like, Defense Judge Barba, lots of these people had access to that video. Dozens of people could have done it. Benson goes, well, we know the defense didn't do it, so you're really telling me that Barbara did it.
Speaker 1: Is that what you want to say to me?
Speaker 2: And she goes, well, it wasn't me, and Benson goes, I thought things would change after you had Jesse, and you would think before you acted.
Speaker 1: Rollins is stunned. She's getting bullied all day.
Speaker 2: Benson says, I was trying to get over my trust issues with you, and now this. Rollins responds, I swear on my baby girl, which on Real Housewives rules means you're lying. You never swear on your parents' graves. Yeah, she again says it wasn't her. Benson goes, you know what, there's going to be a full investigation. They're going to go through your phone and computer, and she goes that's fine, and then Benson says Buchanan is going to do a lawsuit, and Rollins is so puzzled.
Speaker 1: She's like, you think Bobby's going to want to sue? Baby?
Speaker 2: Dodds is a knock knock, knocked door. His tie is loose, so I think he's had a day. And then she kicks Rollins out of the office to let him. She says, we're done here, So then Dods closes the door, and she says, Rollin's just stood here and lied to my face, and dodd says, well, I believe her because I know who did it.
Speaker 1: He says, don't worry. It can't be traced.
Speaker 2: Benson's like, oh my god, she is such a good actress here if you want to watch why, She's like the fucking best is that forty one forty ish? It's masterclass, Like it's so good. She leans in and asks, what are you telling me? And he responds he doesn't want to put her between him and his father, so she needs to stop asking questions.
Speaker 1: She's stunned.
Speaker 2: She leans back and says, okay, Bobby got what he deserved. Dodd says and walks out. Told you I never liked the guy, he says, and then Benson so many emotions, like so like chilling performance my like my yeah, love it Dick Wolf, Baby, I have full chills. Baby Dodds, I mean they're setting us up to love baby Dodds and then we lose him in like eight episodes.
Speaker 1: She's dead.
Speaker 3: So okay, let's go on to the true crime that these are based on. Now, one of the true crimes this is based on are the rape allegations against Anthony Anderson and an universe. Yes, Anthony Anderson is an actor who was charged with who Well, first of all, Anthony Anderson is an actor.
Speaker 1: We all know.
Speaker 2: He was on an episode of SBU, the episode Fat where he worked with he worked with Stabler and his name was like Lucius Blaine or something like that, and then he but like he went on to be the star of Blackish and a regular on Law and Orders for three seasons.
Speaker 1: He was on like the last two seasons of Law and Order.
Speaker 3: And then he came back to it in twenty twenty two when they brought it back. But at this point, he is charged with aggravated rape on July twenty eight, two thousand and four, after a woman said he assaulted her on a movie set in Memphis. Tennessee when he was thirty three at the time, So a lot of all of the accomplishments that we know him for, we don't really know of him at the time of this allegation. He was like in the movie Barber Shop. He was in Memphis. The movie he was shooting in Memphis was called Hustle and Flow.
Speaker 1: We know that movie.
Speaker 2: And he at the time was also in a show where the main character is named Anthony Anderson and is called All About the Anderson. So it's one of those like Drew Carey show type things where it's like a sitcom, a fictional sitcom starring the star and he has his own name, but it's like not his real life so or not fully real life.
Speaker 3: And so he was shooting Hustle and Flow. A guy named Wayne Witherspoon, aged forty two, was on the crew of Hustle and Flow and was also arrested with Anderson in connection to the crime. Apparently I didn't know there was an arrest. Yes, So apparently they had been shooting at the Shelby County Correctional Center, which is a quote unquote work farm for jail inmates, and after production wrapped for the day, I guess the alleged assault occurred there the victim in a trailer.
Speaker 1: I believe in a trailer.
Speaker 3: The victim was an extra, and she told authorities that she was quote unquote lured into a production trailer by Witherspoon where Anderson was already waiting, and that that they both sexually assaulted her.
Speaker 1: Witness quote witnesses reported, I didn't realize this. Well, listen, I okay, okay, sorry sorry.
Speaker 3: Quote Witnesses reported seeing the woman leave the trailer screaming and without her clothes end quote. And this was Steve Schuler, Shelby County Sheriff's Department public affairs officer.
Speaker 2: This is what he told CNN. The woman was taken to a hospital. Anderson's people released a statement saying, he quote absolutely denies the heinous charges that have been made against him. Anthony is a happily married family man who has never been accused of, no less involved in anything mutely like this, and we are confident that when all the facts come out, he will be completely exonerated.
Speaker 1: End quote.
Speaker 3: So when this woman, this woman then had like a deposition interview with a judge, and she actually, in this deposition admitted to having sex with both men for several days leading up to the attack, but she told the judge that those instances were forced as.
Speaker 1: Well, but she never reported them.
Speaker 2: So I don't know why the obviously I know why because of like rape culture, but like the literature says like she was having sex with these guys, not that he was, that they were alleged attacks. Then, the judge named Anthony Johnson said that the woman's testimony at a preliminary hearing was some of the most quote incredulous he had ever heard and did not produce probable cause to let the charges stand. He dismissed the charges against both men on October six, two thousand and four. And apparently also something I read was like she told her boyfriend, I'm gonna take these guys to the cleaners.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna take this actor to the cleaners. I mean, at the.
Speaker 3: Time, he's in his own sitcom. It only lasted like one season. He's not the biggest guy that you could take for a ride. But that's I mean, I think a little bit of that is in the episode. Obviously looking for a payday, blah blah blah. But then in September of two thousand and four, Anderson faced a second accusation of sexual assault from a woman who was suing him for nine hundred thousand dollars, claiming that he made sexually suggestive comments and assaulted her in his dressing room on the Doubt set of the wb sitcom All About the Andersons in two thousand and three. But at the time, Anthony anderson spokesperson said that the first case had made him a target and that the second case was all about piling on and like trying to get paid.
Speaker 1: So according to this.
Speaker 3: Yahoo article I read, the outcome of that case is unknown, so I don't think that she won the nine hundred care Maybe she dropped her suit.
Speaker 1: After the first case was dismissed, the charges were.
Speaker 3: Dismissed, and then he was accused again in twenty eighteen, but the woman refused to be interviewed after filing the report, so the case didn't go anywhere. So so to me, that's like a little bit where the beginning where like some of it is like the tag team of it, like the two friends in the episode.
Speaker 1: But most of the Internet says.
Speaker 3: That this episode is based on Bill Cosby and his sexual assault cases and his crimes are so numerous and extensive that they have their own Wikipedia page. So rather than just being a section of the Bill Cosby Wikipedia page, Bill Cosby's sexual assault accusations are their own page on Wikipedia, which is saying something and it's a very long entry. So I didn't realize this, but there were multiple allegations against Bill Cosby going back as far as the nineteen sixties.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize they went back that far, dude.
Speaker 2: I actually just met like an old timey actress yesterday night and like did lattens of sitcoms. She was on Dallas and like The Love Bow and all these things, and we were just asking questions and said the worst experience she's ever had on set was with on The Cosby Show, and it wasn't like sexual in any way, but that he was awful to everyone.
Speaker 1: Obviously the rape is worse, but like this just came up yesterday for me. Wow, damn.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, there's a bad guy in there, you know, like he's always been that way.
Speaker 1: I mean, this goes back to the sixties. Also, I just want to say about the Anthony Anderson one.
Speaker 3: I think it's very possible too that this woman was assaulted multiple times by these two men, and just but I mean, I don't know, Like there's this thing about seeing her telling her boyfriend she's gonna try to do it for the money. But then also people heard her screaming and running out of a trailer.
Speaker 1: I mean, she's an extra.
Speaker 3: I don't know how great of an actress she is if she's gonna fully run out of a trailer, screaming and make up a full story after having consensual sex. But you know, so back to Bill Cosby, there are multiple allegations going against him, going back as far as the sixties, but victims either didn't report or they told reporters, and the victims would disclose to these reporters who would then never publish the story.
Speaker 1: And these were just like the times, right.
Speaker 3: There was not like a Ronan pharaoh who was going to like research your story about the abuse of the powerful. And there was no like Olivia Benson to fight for you, even though I.
Speaker 1: Know she's not real.
Speaker 3: So like I think a lot of women were just like, oh, yeah, he's a big star and I'm nothing's gonna come with it. So then in on February first of two thousand, a criminal complaint is filed by Lachelle Covington, who's twenty, alleging that days earlier, in January twenty eighth, he tried to put her hands down his pants, tried to put his hands down her pants, grabbed her breast, exposed himself to her at his townhouse in Manhattan.
Speaker 1: Cosby denied it.
Speaker 3: The DA declined to try the case, which I feel like is also you know in the episode, they're just like, well, we can't make a case. January of two thousand and four, Andrea Constand and she's probably the most well known Cosby accuser. He accused Cosby of drugging and fondling her, and in February of two thousand and five Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, because it happened at a home of his in Pennsylvania, the Montgomery County DA said insufficient credible and admissible evidence existed and so they weren't going to try it. She did sue him in civil court and he settled with her, and they had a confidentiality agreement that they both signed.
Speaker 1: As part of that civil case.
Speaker 2: I believe in July two thousand and five, Beth Farrier, who had testified anonymously in Constance's case, told Philadelphia Daily News that Cosby had dosed her coffee and she woke up with some of her clothes off in nineteen eighty four. So then in two thousand and five, Sean Upshaw Brown, who Cosby admitted to having an extra marital affair with in the seventies, told the National Inquirer. And again, that's not the most reliable publication. But they're very like known for like a bat boy. Yes, they're known for, like yeah, exactly, full bat boy. Not it's full tabloid grocery store aisle.
Speaker 1: I never even see it anymore. I wonder if it's still getting published.
Speaker 3: And said that he drugged her and raped her the last two times they've been together. So even though they had been together having an affair for years, the last two times they were together, she says he raped her and drugged her. So then June ninth of two thousand and six, Robert Huber writes a piece in Philadelphia Magazine called Doctor Huxtable and Mister Hyde that detailed Constant's allegations the allegations of other people who claim to have been drugged and assaulted by Cosby. And it's like It's never like, oh, we met at this event and then it happened in a car. It's always like they're at his house, he gives them something to drink, like, it's always the same fucking thing. Right, he's got an m O. Much like these guys in this episode. Even though Cosby is working alone. As much as far as I can tell, Barbara Bowman, what is alone?
Speaker 2: It's like at the end of the day, Daddy Dodds was help it, Like, right, who's alone?
Speaker 1: Everyone on that set knew what was up.
Speaker 2: Like if you were a young actress that had a guest star, people would be like, don't go alone into his room.
Speaker 1: Don't be like everyone fucking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, totally like a badly kept secret. Barbara Bowman is featured in this Philadelphia magazine article, and she becomes one of his most outspoken because she was She was claimed to have been assaulted by Cosby twice in nineteen eighty six. She had been an aspiring model slash actress. Cosby befriended her when she was young, became her mentor, and then as she was she thought. Once she turned eighteen, he allegedly drugged and raped her at his home in New York and then after he tried to assault her again in Atlantic City, she fought him off, after which he purposely tanked her career. According to her, that takes us up to the mid to teens. Okay, like twenty fourteen. He's been assaulting people at this point for like.
Speaker 3: Fifty years, but only about the last ten years. Have had a lot of speculation and lawsuits and things like that. Right, that's been going on since like the early aughts, So there's some publicity around it, but mostly his lawyers.
Speaker 1: As you said, no one's working alone.
Speaker 2: His lawyers are diligently working hard to cover up everything.
Speaker 1: That he's been doing.
Speaker 2: So then in twenty fourteen, enter Hannibal Buris, a comedian that I was sitting here being like, I wonder if Hannibal is going to be a part of this.
Speaker 1: No, this is a full part of the story. Yeah, Like and I know for a.
Speaker 2: Fact, after this happened, there were some prominent fucking comedians that called him to bitch him out for like going against the black community.
Speaker 1: And it's like, yeah, you want to protect this rapist.
Speaker 2: I think that's worse for the black community, but whatever, Yeah, I know, but he got harassed by some very.
Speaker 1: Famous, very famous comedians.
Speaker 3: But I'm sure, Well, what's crazy is like how these things go down because anybody, this stuff's online, like this stuff is around.
Speaker 2: It just it happened in like a perfect storm. Well and someone paved his set.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, Well he mentions Cosby being a rape on stage and his audience acts shocked about it, and he tells them google it or whatever. And he'd been doing this joke, this bit for like six months, but again maybe it had been taped and the reaction had never been super huge. But then Philadelphia Magazine posted the video of Hannibal set in October of twenty fourteen, and that's when it starts to get to go viral. And man, Philadelphia Magazine really has it out for Cosby, like they are I don't know why, like why Philadelphia of all places, but they are into getting Cosby, And media coverage starts to pick up, and everybody's questioning, like, how has Cosby been able to maintain this squeaky clean image despite all of these horrific accusations, which are documented even if they haven't been prosecuted, like they're online, you know, And that's when a bunch of other victims come forward, like this is like Hannibal's thing was just kind of like a catalyst, but it really like opened the Pandora's box of like all these people coming forward. Among the victims that came forward were journalist Joan Tarshis, model Janis Dickinson, actress Luisa Maritz, Carla Ferigno, the wife of actor Luferigno, a nurse named Teresa Saragnese, playboy playmates named Valentino and Serena Butterfield, the model Beverly Johnson who she told her story to Vanity Fair, and Cosby actually tried to sue her for defamation over it, which is the only time he has ever sued one of his accusers who hadn't sued him first, like the only time he actually went after someone, and it was Beverly Johnson, probably because he thought her word was probably more credible, like she's actually a recognizable name and Vanity Fair is a respected publication and national and he sued her, but then he dropped the suit and said I want to focus on my try because at the time he had a trial. And then another person who came forward was actress Michelle Hurd aka Jeffries from the inaugural season of SVU, and I don't think I ever It sounds familiar, but I don't know that I ever remember putting it together that she was a Cosby victim. She claims that when she was a stand in on The Cosby Show as a young actor, Cosby invited her to his dressing room for acting exercises that involved inappropriate touching of her body. He invited her to come to his home to shower. She refused, and he told her to never tell anyone about the quote unquote acting exercises. So you know, he was She did not get drugged and fully assaulted, but it was one of his assault, you know, one of the tears of his assault she suffered.
Speaker 1: Plus there was an.
Speaker 3: Additional eleven women who made accusations that ranged from nineteen sixty five to two thousand and four. So in May of twenty fifteen, Lily Bernard claims that Cosby sexually assaulted her in the early nineties, and she was interviewed by police in Atlantic City, New Jersey, regarding the allegation. And because New Jersey has no statute of limitations on rape, there was hope of bringing charges against him. For that crime, but alas no, probably because there was no evidence left. It happened, you know, decades earlier. On July twenty seventh of twenty fifteen, I remember this specifically, but New York magazine had a cover featuring thirty five women sitting in chairs of his There were all his victims, and one chair was empty, which was like the suggested chair for the victims who had not come forward yet. And the article is basically these thirty five women telling their stories quote about being assaulted by Bill Cosby and the culture that wouldn't listen. Eleven other women declined to be photographed and interviewed for the feature. And so many of these women's accounts, like I said, are exactly the same. They get offered some kind of beverage or drink. Sometimes it's coffee, sometimes it's wine. Sometimes they're already drinking, and then he offers them another drink and they're assaulted while severely impaired or fully unconscious. By October of twenty five, fifteen, nearly sixty women had accused Cosby. One Cosby accuser named jul Allison, described him as a sociopath and said, quote, we may be looking at America's greatest serial rapists that ever got away with this for the longest amount of time. He got away with it because he was hiding behind the image of Cliff Huxtable end quote. And there is I'm not going to go through sixty plus victims, but there is a full table in this Wikipedia entry about his things that quote that has the year that their assault happened, the name, the year their assault happened, the year like the outcomes everything. So if people are more interested, but I'm trying to make this work into the framework of our podcast. Also in twenty fifteen, Andrea konstant who I mentioned before, one of the most prominent victim of his. She had sued Cosby and civil court in two thousand and five, as I mentioned, and they had this confidentiality agreement. So in twenty fifteen she files to negate the confidentiality agreement that she had entered into, and her lawyer argued that he abandoned the confidentiality agreement with his denials of these allegations about him, So like, if he's talking about these like these allegations, why can't I speak up right? So a judge rule that releasing the sealed documents was justified by Cosby's role as a quote unquote public moralist in contrast to his possible criminal private behavior, obsessed with this judge, obsessed like this judge is like, well, I mean, if you're going to be out there giving lectures on how like because I remember talking to black men that were like, I hate how he talks to black men about how we have to dress and how we have to talk and how we have to be when he and positioning himself as like a public moralist, as this judge says, when he has these allegations this all the.
Speaker 2: Time, because Nate Bergotzi is like this where it's like if you open, you have to be clean if you're in Nashville, Like you better be a clean comic if you want to do anything with nateland right, if you want to be on this pot everything. And he's kind of created this weird culture and I'm like, well, the only other person who's done that is Bill Cosby, So that's pretty weird. And it just always bothers me as someone that like says whatever I want, like be who you are. I talk about this, but like Ryan Hamilton's not really like a vulgar guy, So it makes sense to me exactly that he's he's just being himself, Like that makes sense, Like everyone gets to be themselves, like some people are dorky or quiet or like we're all different. But to put morality on language or how people speak and try to influence the way people speak instead of being themselves, like, it's just such a red.
Speaker 1: Flag for me.
Speaker 3: And I'm not accused, Like I would have conversations with Ryan Hamilton where I would probably be swearing my face off and he was never.
Speaker 1: Like could you not talk like that? Now He's like that's just who he is, you know.
Speaker 2: And I'm not accusing a Bragotzi of like decades of rape, Like that's not what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But to me, it's just like it's this moralist thing.
Speaker 2: It's just like anyone that puts morality on things that don't that don't have it. Yeah, it just And I am not a black man, so I don't know that cultural impact. I'm just someone that likes to, like I guess, talk dirty. Yeah, I don't even know. I don't even think it's that crazy what I say. I guess I always have like a comb joke in my specials but it just bothers me. Yeah, forcing someone saying something's wrong, trying to control what people say, you know, and that's what rape is.
Speaker 1: It's control. Yeah, it's all in line, but bothers right?
Speaker 2: How fun that Neighborgatzi's been getting like that he went to the UFC thing and everyone's been like, what did you know?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, yeah, I fucking knew.
Speaker 2: I mean and bomb Yeah, I'm just like always ahead of it, like I really need to get my ego and check because now I just feel like I have such a superpower. I'm like every motherfucker that wasn't nice to me, or that I hated, or I didn't like the way they treated the women in their life, for the people around them, or what their material, any of it, I'm like you Like, suddenly everyone's like wait what and it's like, well, the list is longer, We've got a few more to go. I would say, oh yeah, the list is pretty long, We've got more, but yeah, yeah, yeah, but yeah, Bill, with all of that, I did love kids say the darness things.
Speaker 1: It's like, so and I watched the I Love the Classy Show.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I used to watch it like when I worked at the USA Network. I had a little TV in my cubicle and I would watch The Cosby Show reruns all day and I was like, I love this show. I loved all the actors. I loved the chemistry of the family. It was so good, was so well written. It's still a great show. It sucks that it's it sucks that, like the whole legacy of it is tarnished because of this guy and his fucking obsession with control and being an actual sociopath.
Speaker 2: Did but you see Taylor Tomlinson and Sophie Buttle, and I forgot who else is like on a podcast? You saw that? Yeah, it was so interesting. They were like all these guys are like, she's annoying, she's mean, and it's like your friends and defending rapists like that, he's.
Speaker 1: Coming into my feet and I'm like, I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like you're more You're more mad and bothered by annoying or not friendly women then truly your friends that are predators with allegations.
Speaker 1: So, but this is what's very interesting.
Speaker 2: Okay, So some of the files are released by this cool judge that I love. They're released unsealed, but the transcripts of Cosby depositions were not released, but the Gray Lady herself, the New York Times found those babies and published them. They got them from like the original deposition company or something, because they weren't confidential to them. It's like a full like but I think that's a little bit maybe in this episode with the releasing of the tape, at the end, they release these depositions, and these depositions are very interesting because he's just acting like he's a playboy and the ladies love him, and he goes quote, I think I'm a pretty decent reader of people and their emotions in these romantic sexual things, whatever you want to call them. It's like, sure, Jan, you can't read that somebody that's pass out is not consenting to you, Like all right. So then in the deposition, constant's lawyer goes quote, I think you're making light of a very serious situation end quote, and Cosby replies that may very well be like he's acting like not taking seriously. He's kind of he's kind of they said, he's sort of like flip flopping between like smirking and sort of acting like innocent.
Speaker 3: And his lawyers are obviously pissed. And they think that Constant and her lawyers organize the release of the of these transcripts to the New York Times. And in their court filing, which obviously they filed to complain about the release of these records, they wrote, quote, reading the media accounts, one would conclude that the defendant has admitted to rape. And yet the defendant admitted to nothing more than being one of the many people who introduced queludes into their consensual sex life in the nineteen seventies. So in the deposition, Cosby denies any sexual assault of any women, but admits he's used sedatives to help gain their co operation to like interest, even what the fuck? Yeah, So it's like these transcripts kind of are fucking them because he's acting like I'm innocent. I just use a little bit of Benadrill sometimes like he's so and I think he actually maybe yes. And he testified in these depositions that he had obtained kuayludes from a guynecologist named Leroy Amar, who knew that Cosby had no intention of taking these drugs himself, and Cosby instead intended to give them to women who he wanted to have sexual relations with, and admitted he had given the drug to at least one woman and other people. Cosby admitted so, and he admitted knowing it was illegal at the time to dispense these drugs to other people Quayludes and amar. This doctor later had his medical license revoked in California and New York State and has since passed away.
Speaker 2: On December, Quaylud's a bad name. I want to do kuayludes so bad. When I think of kayludes, I think of Cosby, or I think of Samantha.
Speaker 1: The Leudes, you know.
Speaker 3: But on December thirtieth, twenty fifteen, in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, again Cosby is charged for the first time with any criminal charge, and it's three counts of aggravated in decent assault on Andrea Constant during a single incident allegedly that occurred at his home in Cheltenham Township on an unspecified date between mid January and mid February of.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and four. Like a lot of the cops are calling it like.
Speaker 3: The January incident or something, So Cosby makes bail, surrenders his passport, et cetera.
Speaker 2: His team immediately tries to get the case dropped. It doesn't happen. He faced a fifteen to thirty year term in prison, as well as a twenty five thousand dollars fine. The trial starts on June fifth of twenty seventeen. It ends in a mistrial a couple weeks later, on June seventeenth. He was retry the following year in twenty eighteen, and was found guilty of three counts of aggravated in decent assault on April twenty sixth, and on September twenty fifth, twenty eighteen, he was sentenced to three to ten years in state prison, twenty five thousand dollars fine, and forty three thousand dollars cost of the prosecution, which I don't know, does that like go to the state?
Speaker 1: I don't really know.
Speaker 3: Cosby appealed that in twenty nineteen. It was upheld, and then in June. On June thirtieth of twenty twenty one, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court found that Cosby's agreement with the previous Montgomery County prosecutor, Bruce Caster, prevented him from being charged in the case, and they overturned the conviction.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I mean remember it being overturned.
Speaker 2: But because Basically they said he already had a agreement in this case, like a civil maybe because of the lack of being able to prosecute back in two thousand and four, like after this incident happened and then what eventually led to the civil case.
Speaker 1: I think they're basically.
Speaker 3: Arguing he's already been tried for this and had an agreement with this prosecutor, so he shouldn't be able to be tried for it again. I don't know, And so he's over it's overturned. The Supreme Court's decision prevents him from being tried on the same charge as a third time. They did try to get the US Supreme Court to hear the case, but they denied it.
Speaker 1: And that's final.
Speaker 2: And that's why it's final, and that's why he is out of prison and living his life as a freeman, although I don't know what kind of a good life it is for him.
Speaker 1: I bet if he announced a tour it would sell out. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe, I don't know. He has a bunch of honorary degrees that have been rescinded. Disney World took down their statue of him. He was expelled from the Academy of motion pictures and sciences, like reruns of The Cosby Show were canceled.
Speaker 1: He like the NBC had.
Speaker 3: Plans with him for like a reboot of of The Cosby Show that obviously they scrapped. There was like and I don't know, I mean, and what was interesting was like what you were saying, how comics were defending him, Like Felicia Rashad really came to his defense. A bunch of people were really coming to his defense saying this is these are attacks to take down a man's legacy. And one person who changed their tune on it was who be Goldberg. She originally defended Bill Cosby and then was like, you know what, Bill, it's not looking good. You either got to I think she was kind of like put up or shut up, like say what like give some proof that these things didn't happen, because it's really not looking good for you. So whoo Bee came around on that, And I don't really know what he's got planned now. I mean, it feels to me very different than like a Luis c. K or like somebody who you know, like in terms of decades of incapacity and raping them.
Speaker 2: It's like the trauma of an attack or an assault or abuse in any way. It's like you can't really compare the things because it's like how it affected the person involved. So I find it distasteful to kind of compare stuff. But yeah, I think taking your dick out at work is different than so it's like.
Speaker 1: I'm not comparing it.
Speaker 5: I'm not.
Speaker 2: You said you didn't, But yeah, in terms of like if it is, you think he really would be accepted if he came back, Like, if he really would be accepted, you do?
Speaker 1: I do now? I think oled I think there are people that would go.
Speaker 2: Buy the ticket care I mean how I think the venues would be president. I know, I know, I know, I know, I know he has his own cults. But it's like, but he's also white. He's also white. I feel like there's a racial issue here where like people would not be as willing to accept him back in.
Speaker 1: But I don't know. I mean, that's a great point.
Speaker 3: I don't know that we have a line anymore, like in this country anyway. I know that the Cosby allegations are there's like you know, deep years and years and documents and so much. So I was try I kind of sort of synthesize the crimes in as quickly a manner for podcast consumption as I could. But I mean it does feel like I mean, when you look online, everybody says, oh, this episode Starstruck Victims is about Cosby.
Speaker 1: It's about Cosby.
Speaker 3: Also, the episode came out in twenty sixteen. All the Cosby stuff is going down at this time, so it definitely is related to him. But I feel like they made it this tag team thing. They didn't use the drugs, maybe to avoid like I mean, definitely they say in this episode that they wait for girls to get super drunk, so they're definitely using an incapacitation, but they're not actually drugging them, whereas maybe they didn't want it to seem too close because like Cosby is litigious, Like I have no idea. Also, Cosby show was on NBC, like I don't know, the same network.
Speaker 1: But thank you for doing all that research. It is a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's it's like diff it's different. But there's a scene in BoJack horse Men toward the last in one of the last five episodes of the series. But because you know, there's BoJack's been disgraced in whatever ways. I don't want to run the show for anyone, but like an exec comes and makes some sign a contract so they can edit him out of the show so the other people could still get residuals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, yeah, I was thinking about that, like kind of like when I was doing this, I was like, oh, what, like what is the legacy of the Cosby Show? Like A Nope, there's just gonna people aren't going to see it, you know, and like I wonder how that affects, Like that doesn't probably affect like Lisa Bonnet very much, but like you know, there were other actors on that show who were on that for years and years and are not probably seeing any money from that anymore. Anyway, we have a delightful interview coming up, so don't move a muscle. Our guest today thrilled. We've been wanting him since the beginning. I will say that we have definitely been wanting him since the beginning. He's had a prolific career in TV, film, and Broadway. You've seen him in movies like The Long Kiss, Good Nights, Cinderellamance, Scary Movie Four. He was also on four seasons of Kara and Lisa cult hit show unreal and as the famous jazz guy on Sex and the City, but you know him today as sexual predator slash TV star Bobby Demico. Please enjoy what I thought was an amazing chat with Craig Birco.
Speaker 1: Hi, Craig, where goes?
Speaker 4: Oh what a get for you?
Speaker 2: Are?
Speaker 1: You are jazz man in Sex and the City? Is that fun?
Speaker 2: Sex in the City to film? Do you have memories? Season four is probably a nice deal to book, you know.
Speaker 4: Was it four or three?
Speaker 1: Well, we'll start with your Sex and the City and we'll back into lot. Yeah, yeah, sorry, okay, take it easy.
Speaker 5: It was oh god, it was really fun and I just yeah, I just spoke with as.
Speaker 4: A Christian, who's the show?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was really fun. And yes, I love going back and revisiting this stuff. It's really great.
Speaker 4: That was great. I remember.
Speaker 5: One of the uniquely terrific things, and the typical show business story was the very first day right into bed like graphic you know, for you know, for what it was obviously but not pornographic, but it was, you know, rather suggestive, and that's how we started. And it was just in for a penny, in for a pound, so to speak. Yeah, it was great, and everybody was terrific.
Speaker 4: What a friendly cast.
Speaker 3: You know, but he ends up being sort of like the ADHD guy before maybe we had the terminology for it, you know.
Speaker 5: Well that's that was amazing because I haven't seen really before or Sinse a character sort of handled straight on who just says, that's basically what I am.
Speaker 4: And then you kind of watch his behaviors.
Speaker 5: I'm familiar enough with the behavior, let's say, and and thought, certainly, I think it's probably the most difficult thing I've ever had to memorize.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because there was no life when he starts kicking off sparks at the end, nothing's holding one idea to the other. And I thought, this is what I sound like to other people when I started to go off on a tear. Yeah, it was really something, but even culture from me from that side of things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but even once she realized your character was nutty, She's like, I will have sex with him one more time.
Speaker 1: And I like that.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 5: I love when shows like that. It's a you know, obviously a female centric show. Uh, and then it just they make the typical guy choice just a little Yeah.
Speaker 4: They'll do it one more time.
Speaker 5: One more for Gonna get Out and then I'm Gonna get out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you were early SVU two.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: This was back during the radio when we were on the Filco network.
Speaker 4: It was radio.
Speaker 2: She's in five And I actually was like, why am I Why have we not done this episode? It's because we didn't think it was based on a true crime, but it actually is. I think, so we should do it. It's called Escape from season five right episode eleven. And you're this deputy marshal named Andy Eckerson, and you have a past with Olivia Benson which we love that we love when she runs into old flames. Ye, how was that? Do you remember? And you also had to work with what how do you say it? Fanola Flanagan?
Speaker 1: We like her?
Speaker 4: Yes, Oh my god. She was terrific. Oh yeah, really great.
Speaker 5: Well, I've known Mariska not really really well, but I've met her a bunch of times, and I knew her as this hysterically funny person. I met her through a friend of mine named George Newborn, who you might know him.
Speaker 1: We just viewed him like a month ago. Yeah, terrific.
Speaker 4: Actor.
Speaker 5: Have known him from wet to college together. And I met Mariska through him, but I think she was doing a sitcom. You never saw this kind of thing coming. She was like this funny person that rare breed of. I would say she's probably unique in the sense that she's a siren in both senses of the word. She's a beautiful siren, but she's also louder than.
Speaker 4: An actual siren.
Speaker 1: Ha ha ha.
Speaker 5: Well, I knew her and and I would run in from her to time. It run into her from time to time, and I was I used to live like between near like four than the West Village basically, and I'm crossing the street and I hear hey, and it's her And she saw me crossing this from the other side of where she goes Hey, this huge loud and next to her is Peter, her soon to be husband. Huh, and he jumps about fifteen feet into the sky.
Speaker 4: She scared the hell out of him.
Speaker 5: He jumps out of his shoesally and all three of us that moment happened, and then we just collapsed laughing, and she said, can you do the show? That was That was how I ended up doing the first episode because I want to get you on the show. Can you do the show? I was like, I'll do the show. But what the funniest part of it was just Peter just literally jumping out of his shoes and then coming back and and sort of like landing back in his shoes, like this.
Speaker 4: Kind of thing probably happened fairly frequently, probably.
Speaker 1: Of New York at this point.
Speaker 4: Yes, yea, anyway, that's how that's how that came about.
Speaker 5: And then I remember the things. I really, I mean, I remember sort of what was going on in my life. Okay, almost as much as more than I remember the actual episode.
Speaker 4: I have to be I.
Speaker 5: Have to be honest, but I do remember working with her and she she gave me some sort of a note. It was very carefully done, because that's usually actors don't do that. You know, you do you you say something to the direct and the director speaks, yeah, that's the proper form. But it was a kind of shorthand, and we knew each other. She was helping me out, and it was I can't remember what it was, but it was a minor adjustment. It was an acting thing. This was the first procedural I had ever done where I was actually playing. I mean, maybe I'd played a bad guy in a few of them, but I had never played.
Speaker 4: Like one of the actual procedurers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have a lot of walk and talks.
Speaker 5: In this one lot, there was a lot of walk and talk and she said something to me, and I remember thinking this, you have to do this, you have to commit to this form I think I was doing something. It was a little bit more casual, almost like the sense of like, Oh, I'm going to come into one of these shows and I'm going to play one of these parts. I'm going to bring something a little bit more casual, you know, just sort of take some of those edges off and bring it.
Speaker 4: And it doesn't work.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is a procedure and there is an actual formula, and you do sort of come in and you breathe humanity into it. But you have to honor the format of it as you're there to sort of get there's a messy desk. Over the course of the hour, you're going to put the desk in order onto the next desk. That's basically the procedure of it. If you're going to get technical, and that's part of the joy of the show.
Speaker 4: Big mess. These guys are going to clear it up.
Speaker 5: And you're going to guess along the way, and if the writing is really good, there's going to be a few red herrings and you're gonna have fund and by the end, you know, it's all going to get into nice and tidy. And I really had to embrace that because it's not the way. I think, as we discussed, I had more in common with the jazz guy than I did with Andy Eckerson by far. So it was and from that moment it was the first It was a very friendly, very generous and slightly brave thing for mers go to do, although I don't think it was. It took bravery for her, but I think there was a certain amount of kindness of just to say, let me just make a slight adjustment and was done because.
Speaker 4: We knew each other. Was totally fine. Usually it's that's something you to do indirectly.
Speaker 5: That's good form. But I and that adjustment really helped me. And uh, and then I came back. We'll do some other episode. But then I came back and played a rapist a couple of years.
Speaker 1: Yes, which is what we're going to talk about today.
Speaker 4: Oh was that the episode?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we're going to talk about seen. But so was that her note like like lean into the format.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 5: I don't remember specifically what she said, so I don't want to I don't want to give her short shrift because what she's I just remember it was there was no room for me to go, well, you know, actors don't tuck it.
Speaker 4: There was. It was very gently done.
Speaker 5: It was done with a sense of humor, which is how we've always communicated as a very funny person. And so it was done with whatever it was that she said. It was exactly the right adjustment that I needed. She's very intuitive and she gets I think she got here's a funny person who thinks he can bring this element of humor, which actually it runs contrary to the show.
Speaker 4: There's no time for that.
Speaker 1: How did it come about for you to come back to this?
Speaker 2: Like so you're on season five and twelve years later they're like, hey, come back on season seventeen and be this be this TV actor when you're that bully an outfit, it's like so funny, it's so sick.
Speaker 4: That was so so funny.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And because I had this also, it was very lay Miz and I had this funny history with lay Miz because at the beginning of my career.
Speaker 4: I got a touring production of.
Speaker 5: Lame miz and and I took a television pilot instead, as one would do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And then I got and then I.
Speaker 5: Auditioned for Lamez again and everything, and it happened like two or three times I auditioned, got it, and then they were offering it to me, and I was like, every time they offer it to them, me keep offering because I end up.
Speaker 4: Getting a pilot.
Speaker 1: What part do you usually get?
Speaker 4: Well, I was a younger man, so that was for angourras.
Speaker 5: You know, that was the broke And now this hasn't happen, but I would love to do javert.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: That to me is the role.
Speaker 1: Of you sing. You're a singer, I do sing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Did you play the base for the Sex and the City partner?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: Actually I don't really play an instrument, although at the end I played the banjo and that was my banjo.
Speaker 4: I do play a little bit of the banjo.
Speaker 5: And so I when they said he disappears, and I said, if you want to do it, and this is this is a one time offer. I can't even believe I'm saying it, but I could sit naked behind the banjo because she was I think originally in the script, she comes out and I'm like I'm making a shake or something like that, or I'm cooking, and I'm just kind of like, I'll be right back. I'll come back and I'm like cooking a home meal for myself or something. And I said, I can do like a banjo's much quicker shot. You don't have all the elements. It was something like that, and they love that because it moved it along faster.
Speaker 1: Shameless special skills section of your resume. The banjo, that's exciting.
Speaker 4: Yes, naked banjo playing, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Naked banjo playing.
Speaker 3: So you come back to do season seventeen and how did that work? They just like said, you're I'm assuming they just like offered you this role and you were like, let's yeah, and you read the script and you were like, I've always wanted to play Bobby Demico, serial rapist, television actor.
Speaker 5: I had such a great time on that episode and I'm blanking on his name and he's a terrific actor.
Speaker 1: Raoul Asparza. Oh he played your lawyer.
Speaker 4: No, he played my buddy in it.
Speaker 1: Oh, the guy it's your buddy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, he put me to the trouble maker. I'm blanking on his name and I'm I wish that. First of all, he loaned me twenty bucks while we were shooting it. I needed twenty bucks to like get home or something like that, and it took me about four years to pay him back. I kept Jason finally I was able with Instagram, I was able to track him down.
Speaker 1: James Mattio, James mcadi.
Speaker 4: That was a Mattio.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's so good and I just remember he made me laugh so much during the episode, which is such a gift when you're playing a character like that who's kind of a you know, an idiot and horrible and very and it was a dark episode, you know, that kind of thing when when it's something like that, it's.
Speaker 4: Some people deal with it differently. They can distance themselves and detach.
Speaker 5: There are some things that are easier to do for different actors, and that was one of those things more difficult for me to detach from with something where you're violating another human being like that, and knowing that the actress really has to go there and you're playing that person and you can't. You know, it doesn't matter whether it's real or not that while the camera's running, you've got to bring that energy or they can't.
Speaker 4: They have nothing to react, and.
Speaker 5: It's it's it's not you're not You're not going to go crazy if you're a rational, saying human being. It's what we do. But you're you're pulling things from your actual emotions. And so I do remember that was not pleasant, and what a godsend it was to have somebody like you know, James, who's just made me laugh all week. I remember telling me about his family. It just his Italian family, which was hilarious, and he really kept me laughing all week. And he be home one night, he got me, gave me like twenty bucks and then waiting patiently, and he didn't charge me interest when I paid him back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys are definitely scumbags.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And what's so kind of haunting about this episode too, is I wonder how long these two guys have been doing this and how much long they would have gotten away because they've been friends for decades and just have this bar.
Speaker 1: It's like so dark.
Speaker 2: It's so dark to use the same like lines every time too, Like it's that it's that scripted out, like ugh.
Speaker 5: You know, it was really disturbing because I think I'm not sure it might have been. Right after I did there was a TV show called Unreal that I.
Speaker 1: Did for We were obsessed with Unreal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well it's certainly in the first season he's you know, but it was I was playing a lot of characters who were very abusive towards women. It's exactly the opposite of where my sentiments lie. So that's like when Unreal came, I was surprised at how much I love it because I hate those reality shows, but we would go off on a little bit of a tangent here. I just was surprised at how much I loved it. But I also I loved that it was so female centric, Like the Sex and the City experiment, I just experiment the episode. I got a real sense of what it was like to be a working female actress in Hollywood, which I had been obviously a guy working in Hollywood for a number of years. And Unreal I got to basically play the female part because it was about these two women, and it was you know, they're surprisingly at least at that point, very few shows like that that was centered simply around the world of women and the psyche of two women in the world that existed between them and explored their relationship, and the guys were fairly incidental, the ways that women have been incidental in lots of TV shows, except for the for this show and for you know, Sex and the City, but for most show, you know, I just basically I'm what is it?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 5: I can't remember the character from Dynasty, but based on Joan Collins, basically I never knew why I was walking into a room or where I was going when I left. I just knew I had to say something mean and cutting to the to the women, to give them someone to something to come up against, and that was really the function of it. So but again, the same thing. You got to play with one hundred percent commitment or all the scenery falls down and everybody's like, oh, it's all false.
Speaker 1: Wait, you just did Curb.
Speaker 4: Yes, how was that? It was great?
Speaker 5: I did you know when when Larry David left Seinfeld he did a movie for Castle Rock called Sour Grapes, and it was to this day the funniest script I've ever read, including any classic comedy, check off anything that I've ever read, any sitcom, any movie. The script for Sour Grapes, laugh out loud on every page, sometimes with just one word. There was one joke where he literally uses the word whom instead of who he's at whom, laugh out loud. Just such a funny script, and it didn't cook. It didn't bake. Uh. And then I went off to New York. I did The Music Man. After that, I stayed in touch with Larry on and off, and then years and years ago.
Speaker 1: We Love himah, the podcast We Love Him.
Speaker 5: Mister Dick Wolf in Chicago, your Dick Wolf in Chicago.
Speaker 4: He's your your man Wolf in Chicago. Uh and and.
Speaker 5: So yeah, But anyway, he called me at you know, I think Susie Esmond had seen me in a play read and said you should come out and do Curve. I was like, I'd love to do it. So she told Larry and it was the last season, and he wrote this little thing for me.
Speaker 4: I came out.
Speaker 5: I just was the guy sitting behind him in a movie theater and he puts his his coat over the seat.
Speaker 4: I'm like, you're in my area.
Speaker 5: It was just such a little but I remember shooting it. We shot it for about an hour and a half. It was just It's probably a thirty second bit, but we shot it for about an hour and a half and he couldn't keep a straight face. That's what I remembered was Larry David is a genius. And one of the things I love most about somebody like that is if the truly funniest people I've ever met, they have no problem if you make them laugh.
Speaker 4: They fall down on the floor laughing.
Speaker 5: And the scariest people are the comedians who lose their laughs. So you say something funny and they go, it's funny, They don't laugh anymore. They're just that's funny, funny, and you're like, you never hear them laughing. Were Larry David loves to laugh. You can see it in Curb that's him laughing. But when he's shooting it, he can't get through a take if you're funny, And of course I just wanted to make him laugh, so that's all it is.
Speaker 4: But I love doing it. I'm glad I got to do.
Speaker 5: A little bit on it, and then and so did Steven because it was Steven and I and sour Grapes and Steven was hilarious and Curb your enthusiasm.
Speaker 4: Of course he's great in the Chicago. What is it Chicago Hospital?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Chicago, the TV show Chicago med.
Speaker 4: I love Chicago, Dick Wolf.
Speaker 1: Chicago's beautiful this time of year.
Speaker 2: If you were to come back into the Dick Wolf universe or SVU, what would you want to come back as?
Speaker 5: Oh, I don't care. You know, that's the kind of thing where I was like wherever after a while. Now I've been doing this for a while, it's like, you know what he knows what he's doing. And first of all, if I was the right person, they would select me for something. You know, they know who I am. You just want to be the fork at the table. So I would say, if if I knew I could do that, whatever he chose for me to do would be the right one.
Speaker 4: He could choose it better. Like I have a friend.
Speaker 5: If I need to buy nice clothes, I don't have any sense of it. So I just call my buddy and he takes me down and we go buy nice clothes. And I buy something I would have never looked at, and I think I'm not gonna wear this.
Speaker 4: He goes, you'll wear this every day? And I do.
Speaker 5: And that's something I look like Dick Wolf you go. Just don't tell Dick Wolf what to do. If he's gonna use you, let him set you at the table. If he's gonna set you at the table where he sets you, that's right. I trust that no more than I used to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a return of Andy Eckerson.
Speaker 4: I think America wants to know what to hear what Andy's up to.
Speaker 2: Because we do eventually need Detective Olivia Benson in a happy ending for the Love of God.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really like.
Speaker 4: The Final Spectacular movie.
Speaker 2: I know we needed Just in the Bahamas with like a nice guy Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: We want to retire. They've killed everyone.
Speaker 5: Shot shot just me walking out of the surf.
Speaker 1: Mouth playing the band Joe naked behind.
Speaker 4: You with the band?
Speaker 5: Ye that what if it turns out to be that guy, He's well medicated. He's properly medicated across universe.
Speaker 1: Love.
Speaker 3: Will you tell us about this movie that you're going to be in coming up called the Debut, because that look I was reading about it and it looks really interesting with Julianne Moore.
Speaker 1: Well this is a little up and comer Julianne Moore, Oh my god, people are raped. I cannot wait.
Speaker 4: I'm in two brief scenes.
Speaker 5: I basically am I'm one of the guys who basically I'm there so you can see where she is in life. I'm one of the people who's who's sort of projecting how small and mousey she is. And and Patrick Fabian plays her husband. We're in a couple of brief scenes. I'm his friend and basically we're just she says, I'm going to do this play in musical theater and keeping community theater, and I'm just like, I hate musical theater, you know, just to give her something. Just all we do is diminish her. That's basically what we do. But she is so good and the movie, the script is so funny. I think people are gonna love this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was there for two days.
Speaker 5: Got to spend two days with Julian Moore and Patrick and a couple of people that were just really you know, it was a terrific time.
Speaker 1: And did Jesse Eisenberg direct.
Speaker 4: Before wrote and directed it? He wrote and directed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's exciting. I can't wait to see.
Speaker 4: This friendliest guy so bright. Yeah, it's a terrific guy.
Speaker 5: And I think he liked the idea that I did a lot of musical comedy, and that basically my whole line, and the whole thing.
Speaker 4: Is, I just can't stand musical What are you doing? That's so silly? People singing on stage, It's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Are you in New York? I am, Yeah, I mean I'm in New York. The vibes are just electric this summer. Are you having the time of your life or what?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: If love our.
Speaker 5: Mayor, I love our mayor. I love our teams, I'd love them regardless. And I'm not even a sports fan. I just love everything. I just love how together everybody is. I love what's going on with Pride right now and the word. You can probably tell where my sensibilities lie politically, but I'm I'm very encouraged, and I love being in New York.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you so much for talking to us, Craig.
Speaker 4: This was awesome.
Speaker 1: The debut because I was going to go see that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Oh, the debut, And and another movie that I just finished just it's called the debut, the debut, it's called It's Day Book. Actually it's very very different.
Speaker 4: But it's this judaic movie and I just finished.
Speaker 5: It's beautiful, and that's all I'll say about it, but it.
Speaker 4: Sounds so much like the Debut. I was like, did you know the Debut?
Speaker 5: I got to listen to the end of the word really, wait, are you being serious?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: I did. I did this movie called the Debut. The day Book is this sort of.
Speaker 5: A it's a Hebrew demon, so it's a bit of a Gothic horror. It's beautiful, it's a love story, it's and it's I saw some footage from it.
Speaker 4: It's absolutely stunning. But yeah, so much the Tuba debut and debut.
Speaker 5: D ybb U can now if I could just get in a movie called Duluth, I would have my.
Speaker 2: Chi cross for all of them. At the same time. We're both Jews. I've never heard of this demon. I'm so into spooky things. I can't wait to get a Jew too.
Speaker 4: And I had never heard of it.
Speaker 5: If you look it up, it was a The Debook is a it's a demon, but it was a play. It's based on a play from the nineteen early nineteen ten, nineteen twenties, I think, but it's it's been updated and it's it's quite beautiful and very haunting.
Speaker 4: Like I said, I've seen some footage and it's really stirring.
Speaker 1: And you you rapped, you just rapped.
Speaker 4: Just finished.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the only time I've heard the word well, I heard it, so that is dibbik is in Waiting for God it's I think, yeah, in Waiting for gofman Uh, Eugene Livy's character does say dibic Schmidbick I said more ham, but it's like it's like an improvised like jokes.
Speaker 4: A lot of debate. There was a lot of debate. Is it dibik or is it the book dbook?
Speaker 5: And it depends on whether you're Sephardic or ashke Nazi. So it got like every time I had to say it in the movie, I was a little apprehensive. You can like let go so the like you can actually see me trying to figure out how so the pronunciations vary.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really cool and I'd never heard of it before.
Speaker 5: But it's a really it's a kind of a haunting, beautiful story, you know.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 5: Thank you, grank you, this was wonderful than you for letting me walk down memory lane with you.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 1: Love him. I did too.
Speaker 2: I just remembered something that I should have brought up in the intro. But we're going to do it post. But I do love jazz Man. He was so fun, charismatic, hot. It was great, funny, yeah, funny. I finished Song of Achilles. I finished the book, cried for an hour and a half before I watched After Hour in a game. It was July third, finished it in bed and everyone was right, and I cried alone for about an hour and a half before leaving.
Speaker 3: I sort of love a book where you get like a big like I remember finishing a prayer for Owen Meani on a plane when I was like twenty and covering myself in a blanket and like crying underneath the blanket for at least like a half an hour on a flight. They probably thought I was scared of flying or something like it. It's it's very cathartic. It feels kind of good.
Speaker 1: Well, because everyone.
Speaker 2: Kept stopping me being like you're gonna get destroyed, You're gonna cry, You're gonna cry, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: And so I was like kind of annoyed by everyone.
Speaker 2: And there's a pracacy in it, so you kind of know what's going to happen, and I was just like, what the fuck like it, We'll probably not. And then it actually took me somewhere else that I didn't see coming at all, and no One's annoyingness did fuck me up, and it did hit me in a huge way. I was like, just couldn't handle them, couldn't handle it. So I'm gonna get her next book. Circe and our friend Allison Libey's books out today. So I'm gonna, hopefully after we record, go to the bookstore and see if I can find them. My copy is arriving today. I had to change the Adam want to. Yeah, yeah, so we'll see. So I'm gonna take a stroll around, but I'm gonna buy Circe, even though I have so many books and I'm reading Michel Neckberth's. But I did finish Song of Achilles and I loved it. So people wanted to know the people that d me you were I loved it.
Speaker 1: I loved it. That sounds like a great book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So post mortem this episode, I mean, the post mortem is everything we've talked about on this podcast since the day we started, which is like men and men should not be given any power they don't know how to handle it without becoming sexual predators.
Speaker 1: Uh, and yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I guess I just like I knew Cosby was kind of doing this for a long time, but I didn't really realize that it was like almost fifty years before he saw like a second of retribution and then even then he didn't really get that much punishment. He's out, So it's just like disheartening how the rich. It feels crazy that Weinstein has stayed in jail, Like there must be so much evidence on him that he's stayed in jail because he has so much money that he could just appeal appeal, appeal, appeal and figure out loopholes like what happened with Cosby, and he hasn't, so there.
Speaker 1: Must be enough on him. Yeah, it's like the Danny Mattaway person of it all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there must, like if somebody like big goes away, you know, there's a lot on them, because honestly, it feels like seventy five percent of the justice system is like rich people paying their way out of it. But uh, yeah, I don't know if there's any.
Speaker 2: Like tell on your friends, tell on your friends, stopping friends with bad people like actually stand for something of God. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And I don't know, go with your gut and like listen to I just feel like sometimes with rumors about men, famous men and stuff like where there's smoke, there's fire, like just like be like careful wary of somebody who's like famous or rich or in a higher position than you, like taking a weird interest in you to be like you know, it's hard because it's like have confidence you are great. Maybe your boss just loves you, but also maybe they're a predator and trying to do something illegal and traumatizing who knows.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I hate when people take their own experience with someone as like fact for everyone else's experience with them.
Speaker 1: It really makes no sense. Yeah, guess what.
Speaker 3: When I met Matt Lower in Jerino, he was wonderful to me and gave me six bottles of wine. Do I believe some of the stories I've read about him?
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 3: I do believe them. It's like people contain multitudes. Uh, so let's get into what would Sister Peg do this week? This is our weekly segment where we point you to an organization, an article, a book, something to give you more information about what we talked about in today's episode. And I wanted to point you to the article that I referenced, the twenty fifteen New York magazine Tight article titled I'm No Longer Afraid. Thirty five women tell their stories about being assaulted by Bill Cosby and the culture that wouldn't listen. This article goes in depth on all these survivors' stories. Like I said, I mean, if I had there's enough in the Cosby case to be like a full twenty episode podcast. So we just don't have enough time on this podcast. But if you're interested in going more in depth on him, this article does that. And if it wasn't already obvious, the article illustrates what a rampant and serreal rapist he was. So just if you want to hear more about the victims stories and probably where some of them are now and what they're doing, I mean, I think like the only silver lining is I feel a lot of a few of them have become really big activists on the on sexual assault, and I think we can always use more voices speaking up for that, So that will be linked in our show notes as usual and then uh shared as a story the day the episode comes out, and those stories are saved forever on our Instagram highlights that are labeled WWSPD and our Instagram is that's messed up, pod, Get.
Speaker 1: On over there.
Speaker 2: Wait are you so excited that Trixy and Katya are going to be recapping All Star season two?
Speaker 3: I didn't know that episode. I didn't know they were doing that because I've been on this road trip. So I just today caught up on I'm now only two behind. I'm just started the Robbie Hoffman episode. Oh my god, yeah I am, I'm ex I yeah, I'm stuttering.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy to revisit probably one of the best series of television that's ever existed, All Stars two.
Speaker 1: Well and makes such a good point.
Speaker 2: She's like that was the first time where it's like the voting and all like they created the rule like they like because everyone who's done All starts sin. It's like, you know, there's gonna be trickery in this and that, and like it really was the switch of everything, and it was just like they used to wait so long with All Stars that you've got this like really like big deep pool of like really talented queens and like not to say that there's not now, but like now it's basically like new season All Stars, New Season All Stars, and so the second has like some of the biggest talents, Like I love it so much. Oh yeah, I'm just thinking about you wrote you at the end, just thought about read you wrote you and got excited. And then next year, JK, next week we'll be doing assumptions. Next year, next week we'll be doing assumptions. Season twenty, episode twenty three. Have I watched it yet, Like, I don't know. Yes, we've already done the full recap. Hon, Yes, yes, you have watched it. I'm telling you, I've never had a summer like this.
Speaker 3: Maybe you have to start scheduling in your calendar some nights to just stay home.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I napped during the day. I napped during the day. I no, but I was planning on going on. I was like, oh, I'll do my spot and I'll go home, and then I was and then my friend was like, I'll meet you for one, and then cut to him having five fucking pints of gin and soda.
Speaker 1: You know, I'll meet you for one.
Speaker 3: In the summer is like just feels like a lie that everyone's telling themselves.
Speaker 2: But that's exciting. It's the summer of fun. Baby, we'll see you guys next week. Thank you so much for listening. Bye That's Messed Up as an Exactly Right production. If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com. Listen to That's Messed Up on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at Glitter Cheese.
Speaker 3: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 1: Thank you so.
Speaker 2: Much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain, and to.
Speaker 3: Our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner.
Speaker 2: And to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly Geen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Start, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 5: Dun Dun