Speaker 1: Stage crackers, we will sue you.
Speaker 2: Then.
Speaker 3: Welcome Happy Friday, December second, and welcome to the Just Baseball Show. I'm Peter, that's Jack In, that's Arm. It's the three of us, and we're doing this week in baseball.
Speaker 2: Spoiler.
Speaker 3: Not a lot happened, but some things happen that I find very interesting.
Speaker 2: Gentlemen, how are you It's Friday? Sorta.
Speaker 3: We're always recording a day earlier, so we like to pretend that it's Friday. It's almost the weekend. Thursday's kind of like the week and now, especially in the off season, like this, are you.
Speaker 2: Doing doing good? Doing good?
Speaker 4: The stove is mid slowly, slowly eating up a lot of rumor mills stuff that Jack and I talked about, the buzzwords.
Speaker 2: The buzzwords have been flying over the last.
Speaker 4: Week or so, but some stigtnings to talk about some some things going on, and usually when we don't have as much of a blueprint into the episode, it ends up being a lot more fun.
Speaker 3: Anyways, Jack from Buster Only. There is a sense among some execs that a wave of second tier free agent relievers is moving fast and on the cusp of landing deals. Yes example, Chris Martin, Miguel Castro, et cetera. Let's let's speculate here. Who do you think he means by et cetera?
Speaker 5: Yeah, shit, I mean brad boxburger Man, like he's gotta be second tier. I think he is his second tier.
Speaker 2: Dispectful, got it? Disrespectful.
Speaker 5: But now here's the thing, where do you put Adam out of?
Speaker 3: You know, well, we we just did our general Manager episodes with the Los Angeles Angels giving them Tommy Kinley. Do you think Tommy Cainley is a second tier?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: It might be tier three?
Speaker 2: We'll see.
Speaker 5: Actually today, you know what, we have a structure now today we're doing reliever tiers. But we're not talking about tier one. We're talking about two through six.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 3: Not very cool. All right, let's dive into some of these deals. A deal that we haven't talked about yet that is definitely not second tier. And like I said, we just did the Angels episode yesterday. We were playing GM, but we didn't talk about the specifics of the Hunter Renfro deal. So Hunter Renfro goes from Milwaukee over to the Los Angeles Angels and in return, the Brewers got Jansen junk right hand in a pitcher as well as Elvis Poguero reliever. And they got some dude I've never heard of Somaris. Yeah, this is usually your cue. Who is Seminaris?
Speaker 4: It's it's pitching depth. Junk is probably the bad bet to be something seems like a salary dump, right, I mean, it's really what the Brewers seem to be doing. Another clearing the way for the outfield. We talked about this.
Speaker 2: We probably talked about it way too much in the group.
Speaker 4: Chat, but you know, off the Brewers, we're clearing up money, and I think it's very clear that the Brewers don't like to exceed a certain amount of money.
Speaker 2: Also, they're tied up with Yelich.
Speaker 4: For a long time financially, and I'm very interested to see what the subsequent moves are. Obviously they have some really good outfield prospects coming up. But you know, like I said when we were going back and forth about it, Peters, if you're really serious about contending, I don't think you can you can go out there and say, oh, we're gonna start two rookie outfielders, maybe another rookie somewhere else, and feel really good about what we're doing, so I'm very interested to see what else they do because we also saw Colton Wong floated in trade talks as well. If they trade Wong too, that just seems another ten million dollar guy roughly for next year. Seems like they're kind of trimming the salary a little bit or some of their more expensive guys that they can't move, Like.
Speaker 3: Yelich Jack, you were I don't know if you were participating in when Arm and I were just going back and forth on the steal, because that's what we do in the offseason. We get really really mad at each other over we have a lot of deal yeah, whether it's like a salary dump or whether the Brewers actually got something. And the reason why I was not because I agree with Arm it was a salary dump, but I also didn't want to discount who the Brewers got in return because I kind of like Jensen Junk a little bit.
Speaker 2: I kind of like him.
Speaker 3: He's got to get fastball high spin, he's got to give fastball high spin. He's got a good slider, and he had a twenty nine percent krate six four eighty ra, so there's that. But he's something, and I didn't think that it was just they got a bag of nothing burgers, and I just didn't want to disrespect Jensen Chunk because I do think that he could be something, and I do think that he's going to contribute, and it wasn't just a and I also am not the biggest hunter Renfro guy. I think it is a salary dump, but I thought it was kind of smart what the Brewers did because I I think Renfro coming over from Milwaukee, where it's really easy to hit, I don't know if we're going to see that same power as he enters his thirties, and that's kind of all you get from him. He's not that great of a defender. He doesn't hit for a high average, he doesn't walk that much. He's just kind of a power or nothing guy, and he throws the ball really hard from right field. So yes, arm was right about salary dump, but at the same time, I wanted to go at him because it's November and this is all we got.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: Of course, I do think Junk can be I do think Junk's gonna contribute in some way.
Speaker 2: Mid'dle really spots start somethings.
Speaker 3: But it starts nice, like I'm gonna be on him on a bet and like you're I'm gonna be like, we won that one.
Speaker 2: You're gonna I can't wait. I can't wait.
Speaker 5: Seven year old who had like a mid four z R and salt lake this year.
Speaker 3: Listen, Jacobi, Michael Jordan didn't make his varsity team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're right, You're right.
Speaker 5: But then mj was dropping like fifty points on JV, Like people for get that part, Like he was the best JV basketball player of the world has ever seen at that point. Janson, Junk is gonna be twenty seven years old. He had a mid four z R and salt Like, I know why you like him. He had a sub to era and twelve starts in Somerset last year, like he was a good double a pitcher in the New York Yankee system. I think it's funny that Junk and Elvis Pagero are in tandem each time they move jump and Pagero went for Heeni and Cash last deadline, and now it's Junk, Pagero and Seminaris going for Hunter Renfro.
Speaker 2: What if they hate each other? This kid getting traded together.
Speaker 5: Dude, Like, all I want to do is get away from Elvis Pagero and here we are. It's like, guess who's coming with motherfucker? Yeah, I think it could be really interesting. But like, okay, you say you like Jansen Junk. My follow up is, do the Brewers have any shot of winning the NL Central If Jansen Junk is throwing one hundred innings for the Milwaukee Brewers, I say no. I say this is a deal where the Angels got better. The Brewers are working more towards a rebuild that I think a lot of people were expecting at this point last year. I didn't see this rebuild coming whatsoever. I thought the Brewer's window of contention was opening. But then all of a sudden, they move Hater And I didn't hate the deal, But if you actually want to win for a couple of years, and you want your fan base to think that you want to win for a couple of years, you probably shouldn't move off Josh Hater. And now you're floating Colton Wong and now you're moving Hunter Renfro. So you've got yell Edge and a bunch of young pieces. My thought is, okay, if they're going to sell off some of those ARB three guys, Arb two guys where they're going to make ten million dollars and they suck this year, and suck as a relative term, like what if the Cubs are better? What if the Brewers finish third in the Anal Central? Do you think about moving Corbyn Burns? Do you think about moving Freddy Peralta? I have no idea what direction Milwaukee's going in right now with this move.
Speaker 3: Well, I kind of do, sort of, because they are taking calls on Corbyn Burns and Brandon Woodruff. I know the Yankees have checked in on both of them, but the price being reported is extremely high, and for good reason. I don't think they're going to move those guys. I think that's one of those offseason rumors where if you're a general manager and you need starting pitching, you're like, well, I just saw the Burush trade Renfro. I saw the Birds shade Josh Hater. I wonder if they trade Corbyn Burns and then the Birds say, yeah, we'll take Vulpi, will take Aaron Judge, and we'll take your entire team, and then the Yankees hang up the phone because it ain't happening.
Speaker 5: And it's hard. It's hard to look at David Sterns stepping down at a vacuum now like it's really hard because you see, okay, this stuff is going on with Stearns made aware that like, okay, time to blow it up, like time to save a little bit of money and.
Speaker 2: Start like are they up?
Speaker 3: Are they blowing it up?
Speaker 4: I wouldn't saylow it up, but I think maybe even the running in the wall, like hey, we're not going any higher, right, we're not spending any more money. We actually need to get under this number, and you can try to find a way to win within those parameters, right And I think Stern said, I don't know if I want to do that right now, Like I don't know if I want to grind that hard to build this back up again in different ways and reshuffle and try to get it's where you need to be.
Speaker 5: And Stern's is at the point in his career where he doesn't need to say yes to doing that. He has all a.
Speaker 4: Better opportunity elsewhere. When something comes up, he'll advise the Brewers he doesn't need to wear all of this right now, because I think there's some other moves potentially coming, and then he will get a better opportunity somewhere else. But what's most disappointing to me about it, I think is and we have to see what the Brewers ultimately do. But you know what's most disappointing if they don't, you know, make some additions or or do continue to make subtractions, is this division. I mean, now is the time, right I mean, the Cubs are going to get good in the next couple of years. I think they're gonna better next year. They're going to be good in two years. The Cardinals are great. That's the one team. But like the Reds, they're gonna get good building. They're gonna be good in a few years. After the Pirates they're gonna be good in a few years. But right now is the time. You could very easily be the second best team in the NL Central and Expanded playoffs if you put your best foot forward. And I know the Brewers are building for sustainable success and I get that, but you can get to the playoffs right now, and I don't know if they're giving themselves the best shot to do so.
Speaker 2: But we'll see.
Speaker 5: When you said the Pirates are gonna get good, I saw Peter do his little like side nod thing it's like, I don't know if the Pirates are gonna get good into that. I say, again, just moved into a one bedroom in Indy. I can give you the futon. I need you to see the future of the Pittsburgh Pirates and you are going to be enthralled. You're gonna realize that this is the best team in baseball.
Speaker 2: In three years, I hope.
Speaker 3: For example, like to Arm's point, like I was listening to your guys's stuff on the Cubs, the top ten prospects, which you guys should definitely go check out the call up arm Jack just broke down the top ten prospects. Arm was interviewing Matt Murvis to a ton of good stuff on the Cubs, and they also just played GM Like I'm very excited for the Cubs. That's one where I kind of want to scoop back on because I was like, where is this team going? But now listen to you guys, like I see where this team is going, and then you check out the Cardinals and it's like they ain't going nowhere. They're gonna be good for a very long time. When I look at the Brewers, I don't think that it's that dumb what they're doing, Like I understand Brewers fans are probably like they don't understand in the direction, and I get it, but they are offloading guys who aren't that good, like they weren't gonna pay hater anyway, So that's that's not the best. But they did get a haul and then on Rentfro like I don't think renfro' is that good and Colton Wong like where is he at in his career? So it's like these moves do make sense. That's why I don't want to call this a rebuild.
Speaker 4: So Wong and Renfro tied for second on the team in f R last year, that might be more of an indictment on the team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, win five each, right.
Speaker 3: But do you think they're that good?
Speaker 4: So I think two and a half when players are hard to are not that easy, that's fair, that's yeah.
Speaker 5: So so part of me is saying, like, okay, I agree with you, Like there are a lot better options than Hunter Renfro, but that's for sure. I would love twenty nine bombs and an eight oh seven ops and a four ninety slug.
Speaker 2: But you're not gonna get that.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying is like, he's gonna go from Milwaukee, where it's so easy to hit and he gets to face the reds in the Pirates every day to go hitting in Anaheim where it's it's a little bit harder to hit. And I think there's a little bit better pitching in that division. Like I don't think I know that with the divisions, it's also going to be scattered. You're not going to see the same schedule. But I just don't see Hunter Renfro getting better. I only see him getting worse.
Speaker 2: Okay, so HiT's a junk.
Speaker 5: I kind of like, how about a five oho one slug in an eight sixteen ops as a red sock in twenty twenty one. How about in twenty eighteen he had an eight oh five OPS and a five oh four slug in San Diego. Like he's done it at multiple spots. I understand hitter.
Speaker 2: From Ben Bay is also easy to hit.
Speaker 5: I understand hitter friendly ballpark in Boston and Milwaukee. But if Hunter Renfro is an eight hundred OPS guy, you got to value him like an eight hundred OPS guy. And in recent memory he's been an eight hund ops guy.
Speaker 3: Here's my thinking, I don't think moving forward, he is should we talk about someone who actually has an eight hundred ops who's actually a beast? And then he went to the Ashros for three years around fifty eight million dollars in Bray you, I know, dude, like I really want to unpack your vine about this because like, like, are you just in shambles? I'm seeing White Sox Twitter in shambles over this because jose Bray won the MVP in twenty twenty. He is again like fair, no, not fair, but you know, well it's about a joke about it.
Speaker 2: But jose A.
Speaker 3: Bray you has been one of the best first base in baseisball now for a while, and it's he's almost a luck to be thirty and one hundred RBIs every single year he's a run producer, and he goes to an Ashros team that the really only hole was first base. I tweeted out. I said, well, the twenty three season was fun because it appeared that even if the Ashros lose justin Verlander, they have so many good young pictures, like I'm excited to see them possibly give Hunter Brown an opportunity in the rotation. Fully, but they might not even need Hunter Brown. They might trade Hunter Brown like as a troll because they don't need them. That's how good the Ashros are. So the Asho sign Jose Bray you Jack, I want to go to you. How does it feel?
Speaker 2: Are you okay? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I'm okay. Can I pitch it to arm to actually talk about the baseball and then I'll follow with the narrative.
Speaker 3: No, No, I want to hear the narrative first, and then Arm cuped with the baseball after you, like kind of make you feel better or shit on you. I'm excited to find out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, go first, please, Yes'm I'm kind of I'm just kind of salvating right now. I just want to sit here watching open up. I really like deep down like that. I want to know how you feel. Picture him in that Astro's uniform too. Yes, Rake and Crane gives him a hug as they win their second straight World Series.
Speaker 2: White Sox wins seventy nine games next year. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So, I haven't felt much emotion in a positive or negative way in a couple of years. I think since Projective Plate launched, I've been I've been pretty just. I've been kind of a blank slate and I just let shit hit me, and I don't really react. So I saw that and I just put my phone away and I kept on doing whatever I was doing, which is probably just staring at the brick wall behind me.
Speaker 2: No way you did that.
Speaker 5: No, I wasn't in front of that brick wall when it happened, But what I was sad Like Jose bray You has been the best and the most important figure in White Sox baseball since Paul Knerko and Paul Canerko was the guy that I grew up with. There have been better players. Actually, I'll say, I bra You wont an MVP, Like I don't think there's been a better player, but you know, you look at a guy that's a surefire Hall of Famer, like already in the Hall of Fame, like Jim Tomay Right, Tomo was here with Kanerko. And was Tomy a better player than Knerico, Yeah he was, But Paul Canerko was the captain of the White Sox. In this post Knerko world, the captain of the White Sox has been Jose A.
Speaker 2: Bray You.
Speaker 5: A lot of that is because of how Cuban and how Latin this team is jose A braw and I'm gonna caught out are from the same town in Cuba. Luis Robert is Cuban. Yes, Moni Grandal is Cuban. You think about the Latin influence on this team, they didn't have a guy that identifies with them. They had it with Rick Renteria, but then they fired him after the twenty twenty season, and they brought in Tony Larusa. Who's going to help coach this young, fun, talented Latin team And the answer was kind of jose abray You. So he was an excellent player. He is an excellent player. He's thirty and one hundred every year, like you're saying. But he was so much more to the White Sox than I think a lot of guys are to their team. He was actually the captain of the White Sox, and it's gonna be really weird to see him in a different uniform.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: Having said that and noting that, I'm going to be really sad when I see jose A bray You in that Astro's jersey. And I think the Astros and White Sox open up against each other in the twenty season opening day, is gonna be Dylan Ces against Josea Bray in the first inning or second inning, like that's gonna be insane club, It will make me sad. It was time to move off of jose A Bray you because you were sacrificing so much elsewhere. You had Gavin Sheets playing the shittiest right field in baseball. You had Andrew Vaughan playing the shittiest outfield, not just left field, playing the shittiest outfield and hurting himself and hurting himself several times. You've got Eloi Jimenez hurting himself while he tries to rob a home run that's twenty feet over the fence.
Speaker 2: He tears it.
Speaker 5: Back and then they hang his jersey and he goes to heaven like that. That's what the White Sox were doing. They were putting a bunch of non corner outfielders in corner outfield spots because they had the first basement of their franchise. Now that guy's gone, So what's gonna happen here? I think Elloy Jimenez ca in DH now when Andrew Vaughan's playing first, or maybe Gavin Sheets can can d H when he's not, you know, throwing up on himself in right field. I think that some good is going to come out of this. I think that there was It was time to move off of that and get young blood at positions in which they are most comfortable. But to do that you had to sacrifice your team captain in the face of the franchise for the last decade.
Speaker 3: Arm You know, he's kind of right, like if you think about it, getting Gavin Sheets some more, AB's moving Andravon to first base, like the White Tux might be better next year without Josea Brady. Don't you kind of agree like that? Yeah, there is there is more good.
Speaker 2: Than bad out of this. That was gonna be my next question.
Speaker 4: So I I understand what Jack is saying, because they had to figure something out and whether that was going to be, you know, trading Adravon and trading Sheets doing something else. I don't know, trading Eloy, but they'd be selling low. They w had to figure out something to less in the logjam because everything that we made fun of, like made fun of for the Phillies doing defensively, the White Sox did that but with worse offense.
Speaker 2: So it was like, at what point are you going to make a change?
Speaker 4: Here, and obviously you know they made a competitive offer to a braw they would have found a way to make it work at the right price, but ultimately the Astros paid a lot of money here, So you let ebray you walk, because if you're making the decision, it's not worth meeting that asking price for them because they still would have had things to figure out. I think it's very important to Getvon at first base to think he's going to hit way better next year. I don't give a shit about Gavin Sheets, to be honest, I think Oscar Colas could leap frog him by early next season in terms of talent. But I also understand you know, being able to get him a little bit more comfortable and not as frequently in the outfield. But my question is, is Jack okay? You just lost Even though he didn't hit thirty home runs last year, he had one of his best K to BB seasons and was one of the most consistent bat to ball seasons he's had and still hit the ball as hard as ever. You lose that and you now have a wide open gap. At second, you're hoping Gavin Sheets performs, and right you're hoping Eloy Jimenez performs in West Left. You're you're hoping Louise, Robert and Jimenez play and make that leap.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: Tim Anderson, you know, is one of the few sure things. You're hoping Mancatta bounces back. You don't really have a catcher because Grondal was one of the worst players in baseball last year. Like, how does this team improve? You just lost your best player and the rest of them are big question marks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, how did I say this team improves?
Speaker 2: That's how?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: Did I say that?
Speaker 2: They But I didn't say I didn't say that. You said that.
Speaker 4: I'm asking you because the job is to get your team better, and this is not a team that is rebuilding. If it is, they should have traded everybody or not. So is Rome Gonzalez playing second?
Speaker 5: I don't think they get better like that. That that's the thing. I think they put together a worse year this year.
Speaker 2: So what's the plan.
Speaker 5: I don't know what the plan is. I seriously have no idea what the plan is. Like they're gonna run out the same exact roster there, what are they gonna.
Speaker 2: Burn it the hell down? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I kind of think so, I mean, what are you gonna do right now, Luis Roberts your center field or you're not gonna make the move for Nimo like you're not gonna pay that? Are you gonna pay Confordo and have Sheets d h When Grendal can hardly fucking move anymore and you've got money tied up with him like it, It doesn't make much sense to me. There are too many holes you mentioned. They have no second basement. Who's gonna catch when Grendal's not catching? And Grendal has not proven that he can be on the field for one hundred and thirty games a year, one hundred and forty games a year in recent years. There are so many problems.
Speaker 4: So I gotta make a trade. Make a trade to make McCarthy, Jacob McCarthy. They need a Jake McCarthy.
Speaker 5: They they do need somebody like that. Hell, go get Alec Thomas, whose dad was the strength and conditioning coach for the White Sox girls.
Speaker 4: Respectfully, can you can you shut up about Gavin Sheets Me, no, no, no, shack on four to eleven slash line with the worst defense of all time.
Speaker 5: I'm not saying he's good.
Speaker 2: It's a fucking problem.
Speaker 5: I don't want Sheets in the lineup?
Speaker 4: Okay, so then why are we like, why are we saying, oh, well, now you can get him.
Speaker 2: Out of the outfield, like, yeah, because I get him.
Speaker 5: Shit, if Gavin Sheets is gonna be in the lineup, I'd rather he's not dropping balls in right, I'd rather he's at first DA.
Speaker 2: All right, that has to be there.
Speaker 5: Let me just say, hindsight's twenty twenty. But were we not areum? You and I had this conversation. Were we not begging the White Sox to trade Jose Bray at the deadline? Yes, we were begging the White Sox to trade Jose Bray with the deadline. It's the Manny Machado conversation. What's gonna happen? You're gonna piss off the fan base, but you can try and get something in return. Obviously Baltimore got nothing for Machiado, but they got something as opposed to just seeing him walk like that is so brutal. What do we get here at draft pick? I mean, that is such a good one for the White Sox. The White Sox were a World Series favorite. They were arguably the favorite to come out of the American League not named the Astros in the preseason this past year. Turns out everybody's made of glass. Like there are so many fundamental problems with the Chicago White Sox they can't fix it. I do think that it was the right move to let a bray You walk because Andrew Vaughan is one of the few sure things you have in the lineup, and getting him back at first base should ease a lot of his mental stress on a daily basis.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 5: Everything else I don't really like.
Speaker 3: That's awnome and just to quickly go over to the Ashro side. They got really good and they're just they're so so good. Jeremy Painnat Short, Bregman at third, I'll two second. Then you put Jose bray You in that infield. It's on the belief it's gonna be one of the best.
Speaker 4: That could be one of the best offenses if everything clicks the way, and I know there's a lot of things that can happen, but if everything goes the way it possibly can, that could be one of the best offenses we've seen in decades.
Speaker 3: The World Series champion who kind of didn't win it easily, but I mean they were pretty much in command for most of the series. Yeah, just added an MVP caliber type first baseman. Is he the same player he was two years ago, three years ago? Probably not, but he's still gonna get his and he's gonna be a difference maker in that Astros lineup back to the White Sox. So you tell me that they aren't trying to get better. I kind of like the deal for Cleveger at twelve million, one year deal. I don't mind it. And the only reason I don't mind it is because I think you're buying low right now and he's shown flashes of being a good pitcher. Now will he be a good picture? I don't know, but I think twelve million dollars is worth it to see. So that's why I like, Yeah, am I gonna sit here and tell you, Wow, what is signing?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Am I gonna say? When I saw the number, I thought to myself, I do that? I no, I Well, it's no. I don't think it's it's a bad deal to see if he is something, because I think he still could be something.
Speaker 4: Would you rather have Matt Boyd? Yeah, exactly, an alien or Clevenger.
Speaker 3: At twelve That's why it's like Matt Boyd again, we can just keep going through these signings because it's not the most sexy signings in the world. Matt Boyd signed for ten million dollars UH to the Detroit Tigers. Nice little reunion there. He threw thirteen inhaust year. Yeah, I don't understand that. But if you're telling me I had to pay two million dollars more from Mike Clevenger, I mean, Jack, that's objectively good, subjectively good, right.
Speaker 2: He just doesn't like Clevenger. Yeah, I don't like Clevenger.
Speaker 5: I also think that Clevenger is has lost more than a tick. Like Clevenger was sitting ninety five to three last time he toted a rubber pre Tommy John. He was ninety three to five this year. Yeah, that's a problem. I think that, yes, he can build back up. We'll see how this offseason is. I know that he wears a lot of floral shorts during his bullpens, and maybe he's gearing up and he's throwing gas again. I don't know what kind of my Clevenger we're going to see. I do think that it can work out well. I didn't like the twelve number, but now that Matt Boyd comes in at ten. I don't really mind the twelve number. I was thinking, oh my god, six or seven should be like six or seven is okay, twelve is egregious, But then Matt Boyd getting ten is egregious. So I'm like, it's the market, baby, Okay, that's the market. That's the market, and I just I hadn't really understood what the market was, and now I understand what the market is, and I'm okay with that number. Because what Cindergard got twenty one last year?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean this is worth it. I think, wouldn't you agree this is objectively a good deal?
Speaker 4: Matt Boyd put it in perspective, I mean I don't. I don't love it, but like, if that's what the going rate is, it's it's a good one year shot to take. Yeah, it's a good one year shot to take. It's not like he's the worst picture on planet Earth. Like he was decent and he can he can be good. It's worth You're gonna You're gonna vomit at what Drew Richinski gets when he comes over.
Speaker 3: I think Mike Clevenger led the Padres to the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it was all him.
Speaker 5: No, he didn't he had a four to three in one hundred and fourteen innings. I know that he wasn't healthy at the beginning of the year. He was still working his way back to TJ. Yeah, and ask you one thing.
Speaker 3: If he gives you that exact production next year, is that worth twelve million?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: I think it might be.
Speaker 3: What's Matt Boyd can give you four to seven and something like that. He's a left Yeah, but that's a free win for the White Sox. It's the only guys they can hit, and he goes in their division.
Speaker 2: That's perfect. There's three wins right there for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that works.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I guess my thing is like, you just need guys that eat innings, like this team needed Johnny Quato so badly in twenty twenty two because he would just go out there and give them six or seven. And Clevenger is just the antithesis of that. You can't you can't be promised five anytime he gets on the hill. So that was my big issue with this. They needed dependability and they got the opposite of dependability. Now it is like taking best available in the draft at that price point. You see the name Clevenger in a pool with guys like Matt Boyd. It's like, shit, I'm gonna take the one that was great two years ago, so I think that is the good move.
Speaker 2: I also just personally don't.
Speaker 5: Like Clevenger, like with with the way he handled the teammate thing. I don't care if he was, you know, like vaxed, unvaxxed, you know, doing the whole thing during that twenty twenty season, but the way that he tried to like almost gaslight his teammates and then he got caught like going out in Chicago. That wasn't a good teammate move. It was like a Pola sac thing. That was not a good teammate move. So we'll see how good of a teammate he is. It's a really young staff. I would like positive influences on a guy like Dylan Cees and Michael Kopek, but you're probably getting that with Lucas Giolito, who's already been to hell and back and is in hell again in his career. And then lance Lynn has you know, been around the block several times, so I would I would like a bit higher character, bit more dependable guy. The White Sox didn't get either of those things. But it's Mike Clevenger. It's Mike cleven Drawer.
Speaker 4: So can we talk about the Diamondbacks being reportably interested in Xander Bogart's.
Speaker 3: Yes, Wait before we get to the rumor mill, because I kind of want to end it with that. Let's go over a few small moves. Pirates signed Carlos Santana. That's well between there.
Speaker 2: They're going for it.
Speaker 3: Would you mentory? So I get what you guys are saying, by the Pirates are gonna be really good. Carlsontanna still walks anything else that that's.
Speaker 4: The biggest signing they've made since what Daniel Hudson in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 5: Yes, would you count the Cabrian Hayes extension, no free agent signing, biggest free agents signing they've made.
Speaker 2: Dang pretty bad? Getting better? All right?
Speaker 3: End of that segment. Doctors ad Shelby Miller good, he's got he's got good data. I'm telling you, he's got good data. He figured something out. I watch out. If he's healthy, watch out. I'm not even got fastball will release point. It's it's taken off like they saw something.
Speaker 2: I agree. If he's healthy, he's gonna be tough.
Speaker 5: Shelby Miller being thirty two years old is mind numbing. I thought he was forty.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Man, since he's a dude, supposed to be a dude.
Speaker 3: And if you remember, Shelby Miller traded for one shorts up that is also on the market, any Swatson. So yeah, Shelby Miller. Expect him in the ulcer game next year. For the Los Angeles Dodgers the Nationals, they signed highmer Candelario five years or excuse me, one year, five million dollars. Uh, he sucked last year, but like he's uh, he can play still. I think it's actually kind of a fine signing.
Speaker 2: I've never like. Yeah, I like that one.
Speaker 5: I'd rather have a bounce back audition at five million than twelve million for a pitcher.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: The cool thing for them is you know that their system kind of stinks and kind of if candel Ario performs, you trade them at the deadline in flux of prospects.
Speaker 2: I like it. Yeah, I agree to. And they also grab Stone Garrett. They also grabbed Stone Garrett that's agreed.
Speaker 4: Last year and and showed some good things in the big leagues and know they're good flyer to take Nationals are cooking.
Speaker 3: I like, I like putting it into the perspective that way. It's it's about getting these guys. Hopefully they have a good first half and then you can flip them for pro aspects. Yeah, I think it's a very good. That's kind of what I thought the Diamondbacks did last year with Milanceton. But Milance which is terrible, so they couldn't get anything for him, but they saign him to a two year deal, which is actually kind of stun with the Diambacks, he's given another chance, right.
Speaker 2: Guys, Well, uh, that is about it.
Speaker 3: That's about all the moves that have happened anything relevant. H So let's talk about some rumors and let's start with the Dumbbacks and Xanderboguards.
Speaker 4: Are Yeah, I don't know. I just I think it's a little bit you got to take everything with grain of salt. But if they are truly interested, it's it's kind of a sign of the direction they're heading in, right. I think the Diamondbacks feel pretty good about where they're headed. I talked about them earlier as like my I think the surprise team for next year, obviously it wouldn't be as much of a surprise if they go get to Xander Bogarts, but it's it's kind of the one position offensively that they're really missing. You ad Xander to the fold there, that is a good, good team offensively. I think that'd be a really fun group if if the pitching can come together, that's that's a sneaky team. I just like to see the d Backs being in you know, buy mode, are a little bit more aggressive, and I think the fact that they didn't trade Christian Walker, that they didn't trade basically anybody not named David Peralta or any like of those you know, rental type veterans, is an indication of what they're looking to do and what they're looking to build on the firm there in Arizona.
Speaker 5: They're fun man that like, that is a fun roster. As of right now, the outfield configures Carol Varshow and McCarthy and the corners would be Christian Walker and Josh Rojas for Emanuel Rivera and the middle endfield if they do go for Bogarts, would be Kittel Marte at second and Xander Bogart's up the middle. That's a great middield.
Speaker 2: Carson Kelly behind the dish.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, And then you've got great pitch like I love what they're doing pitching wise. Madison Bumguarder. That sucks that he's still in that rotation, but he's got to be financially. But when you can run out a Gallon and a Meryl Kelly at the top, when you when you look at Vets, obviously Kelly more Vet than Gallen is, but Gallen is one of the star pitchers in this league. And then you've got young guys that you can continually audition in Ryan Nelson, in Dre Jamison, in Brandon Fott. At the beginning of next year. I think they're in a really good position to succeed.
Speaker 3: Another team that is interested in Santa Bogarts is the San Diego Padres, which I thought was kind of interesting because you also obviously have Fernando Tatis Junior coming back from his ped suspension, but he will not be available opening day, and they're thinking is that with Jerkson profar he's a free agent now that if he possibly leaves said possibly you can move around has young Kim. I just saw that Aj Preller has made some noise about Xander Bogart's jack You are shaking your head.
Speaker 5: No, cut the dumb assery AJ Preller. I mean, you're already moving a shortstop in Fernando time or to the outfield to make room for another shortstop has Sung Kim, who impressed in twenty twenty two. It's not like you can put Bogart's at third, Machado's there. It's not like you're gonna put Bogart's at second. Croninworth is there, like there there is not much space for Xander Bogarts in the San Diego padres plants. I think a J Preler just wants to be on an on anybody because hey, he's gonna obliterate the farm and he's gonna spend a shit ton of money.
Speaker 2: Like that's fun. That's AJ classic AJ classic age.
Speaker 3: So the report says that they would possibly moves on Kim to second and then Cronworth the first.
Speaker 5: I think you're diminishing Croninworth's value. Now I don't think they care, but I think Croninworth is a is a good middle.
Speaker 2: First is just like good, what do we do when the Yankees?
Speaker 3: It's like when the Yankees put DJ Lemahew at first, It's like, what are you doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a now he's now he's an average offensive first baseman.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Another rumor that I thought was very telling. We talk about the Cardinals and their search for these big name free agents. John Moseelock in a telephone conversation. This is from Ken Rosenthal. He said, Tommy Edmund is a very very good shortstop. Now does that rule them out completely of signing a big time shortstop?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: But is that telling?
Speaker 3: Is that telling in the sense that they think that Tommy Edmund will be their opening day shortstop next year? You know, it's hard to fully read in to these quotes from these guys in on December first, second, whatever day today is. But that is something arm does that It's interesting.
Speaker 4: I'm just surprised that they're you know, even considering that. I think, you know what you're gonna get from Edmond offensively a shortstop. It's more it's more of a second baseman's production, I would say. And he's an elite, elite defender at second you know, maybe he's a pretty good defender, a good defender at short I'm not in the business of diminishing the value of a guy at another position to try to stretch him out a bit more at shortstop when you can just go get a shortstop, like we've been begging the Cardinals, who have done a great job. Of course, I'm Moselo's one of the best in the business and has been for a long time. But like, stop getting cute with it. Just go go every once in a while, it's okay to make the splash. Make the splash, keep Tommy Edmond at second and go get a short stop.
Speaker 2: I guess they don't. They don't want to block.
Speaker 4: Guys maybe, and that's always been kind of their prerogative, but Mason Winn's not going to be there for a year or two. At least you're not worried about block I wouldn't be worried about blocking guys.
Speaker 2: Go get a short stop.
Speaker 5: You just spent the majority of the year in double A though, like he'll be in triple to open the year, and he performed in double A. That's the other thing.
Speaker 2: And they have Gorman.
Speaker 5: Maybe they feel like win is I mean, you're not giving up on Gorman yet, right, like you nihle ahead like that, But you know, if the Miritors have held out with his Kelnikicks experience experience for this long experiment for this long then then you're obviously gonna hold out for half the time with Nolan Gorman and we're.
Speaker 2: Not Gorman already showed better things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I guess then, Yeah, save the money and and just hope that win can come up. Picking tribute Edmond plays well at second base, like as I don't know, I just I don't I don't love I don't love that.
Speaker 3: I feel like they can spend very he said, very very good, Like you didn't have to add the second.
Speaker 2: Very right, Yeah, you did add a second ary.
Speaker 3: A second ary. That's that's reading in between the lines, that's why.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, and if you have Mason win at second that's pretty electric.
Speaker 2: That was a pretty electric metal infield right there.
Speaker 4: But base, Yeah, he's gonna kill Goldie. He's gonna throw him a hundred min hour fastball from thirty feet away, like murder him. I got throws a one on one across the diamond. But yeah, I'm interested to see what they do because they've set themselves up really nicely. But spend on something, spent on pitching please, yes, great, there's so much money freed up now.
Speaker 3: Yes, speaking of one hundred minin hour Fastballs, last roomber of the day, Jacob de Gram per Andy Martine of S and Y. The Rays picking up the phone saying, what's up, Jacob de Gram? How's it going? They are reportedly interested in adding Jacob de Gram, which I find very interesting. And Jack was the one who kind of loves this.
Speaker 2: Jack.
Speaker 5: I'll say my piece on this real quick. Ryan Finkelstein, managing editor, put it best in a tweet no state income tax. De Gram is a Florida boy, went to Stetson. And my thought is the Rays don't pick up the phone on big ticket guys often, so when they do, I feel like there's something to you know, peak your ear in a little bit deeper and say, Wall, what are you saying to Jacob de Gram? So I think that there's some serious validity to that. Do you think the Rays like his pitch data?
Speaker 4: And you know, I think the data looks pretty good. It's a pretty good fastball, pretty good slider.
Speaker 2: I think they like it.
Speaker 4: They're geniuses, man, they really know what they're looking for and they really like to Grom.
Speaker 2: I mean that.
Speaker 4: My mom knows that the pitch Dad is good under Grom.
Speaker 2: No, I'll say all I'll say on this is I agree.
Speaker 4: I mean, they're not one of those teams that like fakes the rumor mill to you know, to kind of keep the relevancy alive and put up the facade that they're going to spend. When they would called on Freeman, I think they were very serious about it. It just got priced out by the Dodgers. He is from that area. I think he's from DeLand, not too far away. It could make sense, but I would really wonder what that would look like. Maybe he does a short term deal, a show medial, and then hits free agency again after just dominating. I'm very curious to see what that structure would look like.
Speaker 3: Imagine Jacob Grom making fifty million dollars a year and then the rest of the team makes fifty million dollars a year.
Speaker 2: So that'll do for this episode. It's worth it.
Speaker 3: That'll do it for this episode of Just Baseball Show. Make sure on Just baseball dot com, I'm going through our free agent tracker. Would you guys definitely should check out It's on our homepage. Every single deal that gets in is being written about on Just Baseball dot com. Obviously, if you want to go to check out some more Cubs content. Arm and Jack just did a bunch of that on the Call Up. Tons of new stuff coming out here on Just baseball dot com as well as Just Baseball Show.
Speaker 2: Next week.
Speaker 3: We'll still play in General Manager as well as you keeping you updated all the big moves that that's happening during the MLB season. This so far anything else, Boys.
Speaker 4: Pikro Armstrong interviews out as you're listening to this, so definitely check that out. One of the top prospects in baseball. Very excited about that, and subscribe to the call Up YouTube, which we made a separate channel now, so we got both of those. It's a feature channel on Just Baseball's YouTube if you can't find it. We're gonna do a live hitting breakdown with PCA as well, which I think should be pretty cool and Mets fans allri I'm sure you remember PCA was traded for Javier Bias and with that, thank you everybody. A