Speaker 1: I Am all In, Kiss You.
Speaker 2: I Am all In with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast, Hey.
Speaker 3: Everybody, Scott Patterson one on one interview, I Am all In podcast, iHeartRadio one to Live in productions with Catherine Bayless and her Gilmore Girls. Stats sheet reads like. She played Stephanie for two episodes in two thousand and four. First appearance was in season five, episode six, Norman Mailer, I'm Pregnant. Last appearance this episode seven, Season five, You Jump I Jump Jack as a member of the Life and Death Brigade. We are first introduced to Stephanie in the women's bathroom at Yale, where she stumbles in wearing a gorilla mask and Rory follows her out of the bathroom Just so You're getting into the black suv after reciting in Omnia Paratus Ah, Rory later gives the nickname of Gorilla Girl. A little bit about Catherine is She's an actress, singer, dancer, triple threat from Vicksburg, Mississippi, I Ssissippi and as a true Southern bell. She appeared as a series regular in VH one's TV series Hit the Floor as Kyle Kylee. As she recurred on a number of TV shows, including Gimore Girls, One Tree Hill, The Loop, Sordied Live. She also appeared in shows like NCIS and The Big Screen as a lead opposite Kelly Clarkson in From Justin to Kelly and Bring It On Again. She also had numerous other independent films, including Below the Beltway, Elle, A Modern Cinderella's Tail, Stonemakers, and Too Dead to Kill. Ladies and Gentlemen, I Give you Katherine Bayless. Hey, y'all, Catherine, tell us how you got into acting.
Speaker 4: Well, that's a good question, Okay.
Speaker 2: So I started off as a dancer and I'm a little Mississippi girl and got the dancing bug there, and then went to New York City for school.
Speaker 4: And then I fell into acting because I did musical theater.
Speaker 2: And basically a manager approached me after a musical theater performance and I.
Speaker 4: Was like, oh, I'm a dancer.
Speaker 2: She's like, no, I think you're an actress too, and I was like okay, And I auditioned for her and then she starts sending me out. I'm like, oh gosh. I got to take it seriously. And I went to Williamsburg Conservatory in Manhattan, and that's how I really got the bug and fell in love with it, and I never gave up the dancing. I thought I was getting up the dancing when I moved to LA from New York City, and then every job I got basically I was dancing and singing along with the acting triple threat.
Speaker 3: Triple threat, they call you a triple threats. You could do it all. Oh yeah, So telling about the first big role.
Speaker 2: That you got, Oh, okay, the first big role, Well, I will talk about the first role I got, which was kind of funny. I moved to LA, I'd been there for a week and I went over to my agency and they're like, oh, we had this great audition for you. So I went in for it, auditioned, didn't think anything of it. They called me back and a week later they said you got the role. And I was like, what do you mean I got the role. It's my first audition ever. They're like, you got it. So it was for bringing On Again the Cheerleading movie. Oh wow, And ironically I didn't play cheerleader. I played a quirky reporter that had multi personalities and yeah, I h that was it. That was a big one. And then the next big on the same cast, director he called me in for this movie just you wait, from Justin to Kelly, Yes, the American Idol Musical. And that was honestly like a dream come true for me because they got to do it all. And I I tell everybody it was a paid vacation in Miami for like three and a half months. And that was my first big role. I mean, you name it, we did it. And that's when I got the taste of Hollywood for sure.
Speaker 3: Oh sure, who directed the Justin with Kelly thing? But I'm sorry that bring it on the first one you mentioned?
Speaker 4: The first one? Oh damon Santa Stephane.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, Okay, I thought it was somebody else. Yeah, So tell us how you got the role of Stephanie. Do you remember the audition?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah, So I remember I had gone and for Gimmick Girls for another role, like a long time ago, but here they called me in for this one, and I was literally called gorilla girl drunk girl, and I went, huh, I think I have some practice in that. My friends like just channel the other night. I'll think stright great. So I go in and the audition was like barely any lines, and you saw the Norman Mayler, you know episode and I literally had to like minute taking off the gorilla mask and being drunk and they're just they're laughing at me. I'm like, really, like, I'm not really doing much. But you know, there's a fine line between acting too drunk and then just being tipsy.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I guess, I guess I did a good job. And that was my first audition and then they literally roll and so I was so pumped.
Speaker 4: And I didn't have a name yet.
Speaker 2: So they were like, yeah, you don't have a name. I'm like, okay, just Gorilla girl. And then I went into the table read and I know all girl were in the table read and it was such and they finally gave me a name and they said, oh, by the way, this is recurring, so you're going to be in the next episode.
Speaker 4: So that's what I knew.
Speaker 2: Like, yes, because I loved Gilmore Girls and I just love the best pace.
Speaker 3: Obviously I talked so so you'd watch the you were aware of the show before you audition?
Speaker 4: Yes, I was ware of the show. Had I seen every single episode?
Speaker 2: No, because it was the season, But I did know the genre and I knew, like, you know, all the characters, made most of the characters and everything, but had never met anybody yet. So I will say that Gilmore Girls was probably the most welcoming cast.
Speaker 4: I became buddies with.
Speaker 2: With Alexis like right away, and all those boys that were in the episode, we all still like stay in touch for years, which was cool.
Speaker 3: Why do you think they didn't develop your character more with with Logan in the last three seasons?
Speaker 4: Why didn't they?
Speaker 2: I'll tell you, I'll tell you why. What happened, and this is what I think. So they actually called me back to work. They said they were calling me back for my availability after that second episode that I did, and I had booked a recurring role on One Tree Hill, and so I was so bombed because I wanted to do both, but it wouldn't work out because I was shooting One Tree Hill in North Carolina, right and you know when it rains.
Speaker 4: At poors in Hollywood, you know, you're like, I can't get a job to save my life.
Speaker 2: And then all of a sudden, you're like, I got two jobs and like basically I'm on it. Like it was crazy.
Speaker 3: So you're you're over there in North Carolina with Chad Michael Murray.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 3: Because I'm doing a series with him right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's the series.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's called Sullivan's Crossing. It's a yes, yeah, yeah, it's coming to the CW in the fall. Actually, yes, yeah. We already finished our first season. The first season already aired. Last Sunday was the last two episodes. They did a back to back episode. So first season's done. So Canada is all abuzz. Now it's coming to the US. We're bringing the Band of the United States. We're playing stadiums. We're gonna rock.
Speaker 4: I love it. I'll be there.
Speaker 3: What was it like working with Matt Suecri Did you get to work with Matt A lot?
Speaker 2: I did, And you know, at the time, I mean, don't quote me, but like, I mean that was an up and coming actor, you know, and you know as as I mean I trained, you know, and so did he.
Speaker 4: And I was like, Wow, this guy is intense.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: They were doing that that scene when they're about to jump off right and I could see him preparing, like in a corner, like legit, getting ready to have that thrill when after they jumped, you know, and like and I was standing like right there and I'm like dang.
Speaker 4: I was like, who's do you, Matt?
Speaker 2: And not only is he a great actor and really like serious about his craft, like he's just a really good person. And we had some really late late late nights on that shoot because we were shooting the whole Safarian I mean we shot until daylight. And that was probably like one of the coolest experiences as well. And so we have to know each other, all of us kids like that little life and Death brigade, little group.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, fun group. We we just got to experience some of them on this Let the party's over this last episode when they're in Richard's poolhouse and they come out and Dean sees them, and Rory's in the tiara and Dean skulks away, and you know, Logan puts his arm around her and says, we'll get you through it, kid, come on back inside, you know. I mean, he's just he is. He's so good, isn't he he is?
Speaker 4: He's so charming.
Speaker 2: And I really thought that everyone was rooting for him when he got on the show, and they wanted they wanted that love affair to keep on going forever and ever.
Speaker 3: Believe it or not, not everyone but I'm certainly one in the in the rooting for for Logan column. I just love this this new energy injected into the show because the first time I've seen the show, I'm just it for the first time. I love this energy that he brings to this show. I love this storyline because I mean, where's it gonna go? Rory's out of the house, laurelized with Luca. It's like all of these storylines are sort of kind of tie everything. All the loose ends are tying up, right, so things are blossoming, and but like, where's the story going now? And it's like Logan, thank you, Logan, thank you, thank you Logan. So so you pretty much remember where you filmed the the glamping scene. Where did you shoot that? Because we, you know, we were speculating on where that was. I know it was California, had to be, but oh no, no.
Speaker 2: No, it was definitely California because I drove out there because I remember calling my dad. My daddy gives up really early for work. He's an attorney. He's crazy.
Speaker 4: He get like three. So I was excited, like, Dad, I'm coming home from work, you know, And I'm like, I don't know whatever. But the heat. I remember it was. It was out.
Speaker 2: I want to say, like by Griffith Observatory area. It was around there, like like somewhere around there.
Speaker 5: I mean that's you know, no, no, it wasn't too bad.
Speaker 2: But the drive, the one that was the farthest out, well, the Disney ranch was where we shot the other you know, the big scene like you know, when the jumping with the umbrellas and whatnot.
Speaker 4: But that location was filled with bees.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: That was oh yes, that was my memory from there. So here we are dressed to the nines, you know, and we've got this fake champagne and which, by the way, I will stick by the end of the day because I drank so much of this ginger all but it has so much sugar in it. So the bees were like everywhere. I'm like, y'all, this is not cool, like and we didn't know what to do. And like I'm like, we're gonna go put our champagne every year until we start, you know, filming, and then bring it back. But but no one, I don't think anybody got bit which was but but yeah, I remember that was a really fun episode. And I will tell you what the working with Knny Ortega was like life.
Speaker 4: You worked with him obviously several times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and his episodes really pop. I mean those episodes are just filled with life. Every frame is the beautifully lit. It's just Kenny's a master. Kenny's great.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I will never forget. She's like Catherine, just go over there and be fabulous. And I've watched the episode recently.
Speaker 2: I went, oh my god. He he literally got to me. I was in the background just being fabulous, and I'm like, everybody probably thinks Stephanie is just like a drunk lush like she needs to go to Rea.
Speaker 4: It was hilarious.
Speaker 3: Kenny just such a great director. So what do you remember about Alexis? Did you did you get to know Alexis? Well, you said you you became a little bit of friends with her. What was it like working with her on set and meeting her for the first time the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm kind of a big personality, so I'm not shah, I probably should be shot. And all my scenes were with her, right and you know, the first day I made her was the gorilla thing or not, and we didn't how much time to like really like bond.
Speaker 4: But again, the second episode.
Speaker 2: My gosh, we were together twenty four to seven off of these locations.
Speaker 4: You know, we're all just hanging out board, you know, when we're not filming, and we really just hit it off.
Speaker 2: She's so down to earth and just a real person and not that it's you know, hard to find somebody like that, but like you just don't think someone like that is so busy and so talented and that it's going to be just like, oh yeah, let's hang out. So we ended up actually hanging out outside of set and we became friends, and you know, it was short lived because I then left for North Carolina, but we really got along and we even like you know, went to like some events together and stuff like that. Just yeah, she just uh, she's kind of like this like quiet but like interesting, right, little like light right.
Speaker 3: All right, So we're gonna do a little thing we call rapid fire. So I'm just gonna ask you some questions and just answer them to the best of your ability. How do you like your coffee?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: I like it with coconut almond creamer, a little bit of stevia and some cinnamon.
Speaker 3: That's very specific. Nice. Who is your favorite Gilmore Girls? Couple lou and Lorelai or Richard and Emily.
Speaker 4: Well, Luke and Lorela.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean, come on, I mean, it's not even a contest. We're gonna just take that question out of the thing in the future. It's just such so obvious what it is. What would you order at Luke's diner?
Speaker 4: French fries?
Speaker 3: No Jackson or Taylor for town selectmen?
Speaker 4: Jackson?
Speaker 3: Really? Who doesn't want the job? Would you rather listen to hep Alien or the Troubadour's cover songs? Oh? There you go, Grant Lee, Buffalo Ladies and Gentlemen Wins again? Harvard or Yale?
Speaker 4: Well you gotta go Yale because that's where my character was.
Speaker 3: What's Rory's bigger mistake? Crashing the car her boyfriend built for her or sleeping with her ex who is married?
Speaker 4: Crashing the car?
Speaker 3: Who from Gilmore? Would you not want to be stuck on a desert island with? Oh?
Speaker 4: Good question?
Speaker 3: The mom She kind.
Speaker 4: Of reminds me a little bit of somebody on there.
Speaker 3: Live. So Emily, huh yeah, Emily, no way? All right, okay, So something in your life you are all in.
Speaker 4: On, all in Well, surprise, I'm pregnant and we're having a baby, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, all right, why don't you find out?
Speaker 4: Oh no, I'm like really pregnant. I'm almost eight months.
Speaker 3: For Oh my goodness. Yes, Oh that's exciting. Good for you. Is it your first a boy? Can you say whether it's oh, you're gonna.
Speaker 2: Have a son?
Speaker 4: Oh? Man, I know, I mean I was. I was happy with either. And we are just so blessed. So everything's going great, good news.
Speaker 3: Oh, they're miracles. You're just gonna have magic every day. It's gonna be wonderful. Oh, good for you. Well, I wish you all the best and thanks for coming on and all the best and happy and healthy birth.
Speaker 4: Thank you for your beautiful.
Speaker 3: Son, and all the best to you and your family.
Speaker 5: Okay, I appreciate it such a thank you so much, Catherine, take care all right, all right, bye.
Speaker 3: Hey everybody, and don't forget follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com. Oh you're Gilmore fans. If you're looking for the best cup of coffee in the world, go to my website from my company Scottip dot com, s C O T T y P dot com. Scottip dot com Grade one Specialty Coffee