Speaker 1: Patriots are back in pads for a six time in eight days. As the intensity continues to ramp up. Aj Brown and Christian Gonzalez are going at it, and the defense finished the day with a flourish let's get into it. Welcome everybody to the Patriots camp cast, and we're back for practice number eleven. That's right, Paul, we've crossed the halfway point of training camp and the intensity and the heat continue to dominate this practice.
Speaker 2: I was a little surprised that we got out there.
Speaker 1: We're kind of expecting them dial back a little bit, maybe in shells, but they were back in pads, getting after another competitive practice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe we switched those shells and pads days. We'll see what they're in tomorrow, but pads again today after the walk through yesterday and a lot of team drills that that was one of the things that we noticed. I think the last couple of practices in full pads is a lot of team a lot eleven on eleven, not as much of you know, the seven on seven's and the one on ones and all that kind of stuff. So they did one quick period of that in between eleven on eleven's, but a lot of just put the ball down and let's play. And I think we're at that point of practice of training camp where we got to make a game like at this point, I think that's what we saw today with a two minute drill at the end too.
Speaker 2: I did think there was an overall sort of lull.
Speaker 4: There was definitely more intensity on the defensive side, particularly in the secondary. I think you mentioned in the tease Mike finishing with a flourish how about three interceptions on three consecutive plays to close out practice, So I definitely thought there was a little more juice on defense, but you can definitely see the wear and tear starting to show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's talk about that a little bit.
Speaker 1: I mean, the Christian Zalaz aj Brown matchup continues to just the camp so fun to watch their competitive with it.
Speaker 2: I thought Gonzalez kind.
Speaker 1: Of owned the day up until that two minute when AJ Brown did come down with a little bit of a contested catch there.
Speaker 2: But that matchup to me has been so much fun.
Speaker 1: You see Christian Zalez talking about it after practice, talking a little trash back and forth. But as we like to say, iron sharpens iron, seems like those guys are making each other better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the hope.
Speaker 3: I thought Brown got behind him on one and Drake May kind of threw the wrong shoulder and it didn't give AJ Brown the best ball. But overall, I think Gonzalez has kind of controlled the deep part of the field and given up a lot of the underneath stuff da Aj Brown. And that's been sort of the chess match that you've seen back and forth. So it's been interesting to see those two guys. I can't think of really a matchup in a Patriots camp that's that star studded where it's really one v one the whole practice with two guys going against each other. So I guess we could get philosophical and talk about like well the safety and against the quarterback or something, but like truly going one on one like that, rep after rep after rep has been a ton of fun just to watch. You say, iron sharpens iron. There's different types of levels of iron sharpens iron. This is a high up there iron.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was great to hear it. I don't know my iron spell, but.
Speaker 4: Gonzalez talked about it too, you know, he said it's you know, he started, he was like, it's good on good, yeah, And I think he want like he was going to say great on great, but I don't think he wanted to put himself in that category. And then he said, it's definitely a number one receiver in the NFL against the you know, a number one corner. So he talked about how you can't help, but you know, sort of get motivated by that and accept the challenge. I do think for the most part during camp, I think Gonzalez has had the upper hand. I share Evans's viewpoint on that one deep ball down the sideline. I would have liked to have seen that play unfold a little bit differently to see just how good the coverage was and if the ball was where I.
Speaker 2: Think Brown was expecting it.
Speaker 4: I think that may have been another one of those plays where you see two guys fighting for the ball, who wins, but the throw wasn't necessarily where it needed to be. But a lot of fun to watch those two guys compete.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's talk about that.
Speaker 1: In the last you know, two minute trio they put with like one twenty up on the clock, you can tell they're you know, being conscious, hand in the ball back, you know, doing all the things you need to do.
Speaker 2: Got off to a good start and you hit.
Speaker 1: Hunter Henry for a little game, a little checkdown to Remandra got stopped short. That was then Brown comes up with the catch. They clock it, and that's when things went sideways. Yeah, Marcus Jones comes up with a pick. And then the final play of Drake May's eleven on eleven there in the red zone was Kevin Bayern dropping into coverage where it looked like Drake May was maybe throwing into a party down there, just like there or a lot of Bob's. Kevin Byrt's dropping back like he's fielding a punt, went up and got it.
Speaker 4: I'm going to say that was the worst play that I've seen Drake May have of all summer.
Speaker 2: I'm going to give a single worst rent potentially a context out.
Speaker 3: I wonder if that was like fourth down in the game. I think it may have been, because like that to me seemed like a hail Mary.
Speaker 2: Absolutely think it may have been. And I still would say it was the worst throw that I've seen him make.
Speaker 3: All threw it to Hunter Henry, who's probably the tallest guy out there, and he kind of just threw it up in the end, so it.
Speaker 2: Gave him no opportunity to make a player.
Speaker 3: I mean, there was three blue shirts in the way, so it would have been hard the pick to Marcus Jones had I thought it was just a really good read and a good play by Marcus Jones to kind of jump in front of I think it was Booty, but yeah, it just kind of beat.
Speaker 2: Him to the spot there.
Speaker 3: But I would agree it was not a good good ending to practice unless he heard defense guy deuce and you want to say it was a good ending to.
Speaker 2: Practice either way.
Speaker 3: But what I did like about the two minute drill to start was like that those were the like easy money throws.
Speaker 2: The first down, yeah, first first, Yeah, that defense.
Speaker 3: Is always give you those little checkdowns, and everybody's trying to push the ball down the field and get it all at once, and they were able to matriculate it into a scoring area of the field and then that's when it went sideways. So a good start to the two minute drill, I thought in terms of the patients that Drake may show to get the ball down the field into it area where he could throw it into the end zone and then obviously not a good finish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Buyer makes the interception, the defense celebrates energy is high, Tommy DeVito, the two's coming.
Speaker 2: In celebration for Kevin Byrd by the way, we'll get to that.
Speaker 1: But then Tommy DeVito comes out very next play, John Saunders picks him off.
Speaker 5: I don't even know where that ball was going, like I probably Tommy DeVito's was. Yeah, I don't even know who the intended receiver was on that one. Gay Back is flashed inside as well on Demetrious crown Over. I thought AKIS noticed him a couple of times today getting pressure on the quarterback.
Speaker 3: So that was that play. To me, I want to give Drake mayn out and say that maybe he was thrown up.
Speaker 4: It may have been a desperation play. Yeah, I agree with you that I had the looks.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The other two interceptions we were not good.
Speaker 1: Well, let's let's talk about a little bit of housekeeping stuff because we said the heat, a lot of you know, six padded pack practices they're getting after it, you know, some injuries. Romeo Dobbs missed the second day, walked through yesterday, was not out there today. Carlton Davis continues to miss practice. Will Campbell was spotted yesterday with an arm brace on he didn't participate in eleven on eleven's Marcus Bryant got in there at left tackle.
Speaker 2: A little bit hat tip to Marcus Bryant.
Speaker 4: He was out there a lot of plays, not just the ones that left tackle. He was with some of the secondary groups at different spots too, And again, that was a tough day to go through that had a little hat tip to Marcus Bryant today a little extra duty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's had a pretty good camp.
Speaker 3: I think, you know, I think there's still ways to go with his pad level and you know, his ability to square up guys in the run game off the ball, but I think he's had a solid camp and is really the fourth tackle now, I think pretty solidified there. I did think it was interesting that he got the reps at left tackle over Caleb Lomoo. Now maybe they wanted Lomu to work at right tackle today and so that was why they did that, But Will Campbell working off to the side, didn't participate, and it was Marcus Bryant that got the call up to the first team left tackle instead of Lomu. So just a little bit notable to me that they went to Bryant out. But right now, if I had to make a roster projection. He's the fourth tackle that I think is on the team right now.
Speaker 1: Let's get a couple other just little notes. Evan, you mentioned gay backus getting some run with the ones. Seems like his workload is increasing a little bit. Charles Woods getting you know, with the first team at cornerback without Carlton Davis there, he's been their top option.
Speaker 2: He walked off hopefully.
Speaker 1: He related, that's what we hope one days like this, Paul. But yeah, Kendall Vildor gets in there and he's.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that one was he related. He went down.
Speaker 3: He was covering Tomorroo Douglass in the slot and I think he got picked off by like a linebacker or something in the middle of the field and he went I saw him go down, and uh, he got back up though it wasn't like a non contact injury, which makes me think that it was like he just kind of got right into or something.
Speaker 1: Like him and Jim Whale and you know, walking off together. He's under his own power, so hopefully he's okay. But you know, opportunity for Kendall Vildor to get in there. Uh, you know, Paul, your guy Channing Canada getting some some options. It seems like those cornerbacks.
Speaker 2: Doesn't want to head Yeah one brand uh, but a lot.
Speaker 1: Of those guys getting run at that, you know, even Kobe Minor as well, you know, just they've had some injuries there. Davis has been out, so opportunity. It's an interesting position where it seems like there's a bunch of guys one of those competitions on the roster of where I feel like everybody's kind of in the mix.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I still think.
Speaker 3: Charles Woods is the guy that's gonna be the fourth corner, third rotational outside guy. It's really a competition. To me, are they going to keep five of them? Are they going to keep six of them? And who are those players?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: I I still feel like Prunty has done enough so far that if it's between him and like a Kendallville door, I'd probably keep punting just for the upside and the youth and the fact that you just drafted him.
Speaker 2: But it's an interesting spot to look at.
Speaker 3: I would say those corner and linebacker are the two spots where we've seen the most kind of competition. At the back of the roster. Seems like Muma's really taken a step ahead.
Speaker 2: Of everybody else.
Speaker 4: They started I think the first team period in what would I guess be the actual base defense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, three linebackers, and Muma was the third. Yeah.
Speaker 4: To your point, some of those sort of secondary positions that we've been talking about are starting to clarify themselves.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well that'll do it for practice number eleven. We back on Friday. For practice number twelve. It is open to the public, so if you're around here, come on down. Of course, we all have our eye on that Indianapolis Coach joint practice coming up on Tuesday.