Speaker 1: I'm Jason Flamm. Since I began recording Rafel Conviction back in twenty sixteen, I've interviewed hundreds of xanneries, but unfortunately that's just the tip of the criminal injustice Iceberg. So I've invited new voices to host the show, including people who have personally experienced the horror of that system. This is one of those interviews.
Speaker 2: It's July fourth, twenty oh two, and thirty six year old Tony Cox is meeting up with Richard Rico, the owner of Fat Alberts, a restaurant on the West Side of Chicago. They lead the restaurant together. A regal turns to lock the door behind him, and that's when he hears two gunshots. Tony Cox is shot dead. A regal stance at a close distance to the shooters, but he doesn't recognize him. As they flee to scene, two women witness the crime from their cars. Both of them called nine to one to one, and both would later be asked identify the shooters from photograph, even though they barely had.
Speaker 3: Time to see them.
Speaker 2: Chicago police officers Gregory Jones, Eugene Schletter, and James Sanchez investigated the murder and they believe it had to be gang related because Tony Cox was a member of the local gang, the New Breeds. At first, they investigated New Breed members but made no arrest, but within a month of the crime, for reasons they are still unknown, they turned their attention to Eric Blackman. On the day of the murder, Eric was hosting a barbecue and between twenty and forty people saw him there. Two months later, in September, Eric showed up at court to deal with the unrelated misdemeanor charge, but the police arrested them there on the spot as he entered the courthouse. Despite having dozens of alibi witnesses and no connection to the victim. Eric Blackman was found guilty of murder and Tony Cox on septem number twenty seven, twenty oh four. He was since sixty years in prison this this wrongful conviction. My name is Patrick Persley, also known as Free Patrick Persley. I've been a guest on this show to talk about my own wrongful conviction, but now I'm here as your guest host. In April twenty twenty two, I had the honor of sitting down with Eric Blackman to talk about his incredible story. Today, I have a very distinguished guest, a friend, a brother of fellow Axandery, a very positive person, someone I've known for more than a decade. Eric Blackman. How are you today?
Speaker 3: I'm doing great. Thanks for having me. I definitely definitely appreciate you being here. And we knew each other a lot longer than the.
Speaker 2: Decade, at least a decade.
Speaker 3: Yeah out two fifteen to twenty years ago when I really.
Speaker 2: Think we were at Stateville together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, stay here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know you've come a long way and you've done a lot. You've really done a lot to save your own life. Did you ever face any criticism where they say, like your house lord, you know, how gave way out with yourself? You never heard that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the way people think that way, or one of the biggest criticisms is people will tell y'all man that petition will never work. Oh you know, hey, that'd be what you get a lot. Uh sometimes, And I heard a lot about the very petition that got me here, So I really, you know, you just really got to go on with what you research and how you feel and what you believe in, and if it's right, you just hope that a court ends up seeing it that way. You know, country every to what anybody else may say.
Speaker 2: So, where where are you from.
Speaker 3: I'm from the West Side of Chicago. I was born and raised there. Yeah. It was it dangerous, very much like any other place. It was you know, ripple with gangs, drugs, violence, you know what I'm saying. It was you know, it was just things that were around. You know, you do your best to stay away from it, but it's there things that you see every day.
Speaker 2: In Eric's neighborhood. Gang violence and drugs went hand in hand with police brutality.
Speaker 3: In our neighborhood. They came up with this what they called what was later called the Black Site, which is a home and square police station. There was this station where people would be disappeared, where you would go and you would hear the stories of people riding past, hearing screams at night. But it was just a place where people where all of your rights was just violated. People were just going there and people wouldn't hear from for loan periods of time, and people were arrested and healed, and it would later revealed that people were you know, unconstitutionally held there at that jail.
Speaker 2: Now, people have to remember the setting in Chicago in the late nineties. You know, they had record amounts of murders, and you have these cadres of police who are basically acting outside of the law. People would be amazed the level of brutality that's leveled against someone being interrogated who is nine out of ten times a young black male. A twenty fifteen investigation by the Guardian revealed that the Home and Square facility had detained and interrogated more than seven thousand people in Chicago since nineteen ninety five, and estimated eighty percent of those people were black, and only a handful were allowed legal representation.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like, hey, you hear about these things, and you know people and you so you know, it's very much real. Like the Bookiyman.
Speaker 2: On July fourth, two thousand and two, you have Tony Cox in Cook County, Illinois. He shot to death. There's witnesses people dropping down the street, at least two or three of those. There's someone next door in barbershok two people. There's kind of according to the record, it's like this strange meet up right, he gets a message like a meet in front of fat Alberts or meet at Fat Alberts, he meets Richard Rego. I believe they kind of say inside the restaurant for about twenty minutes and they're excellent restaurant. Two people pop up and shoot Tony Cox Debt. I believe that's that's the state's that was the state's case.
Speaker 3: I believe, yeah, that is what they uh ultimately you know, presented at court as to being what actually happened that day.
Speaker 2: I know when the shooting happened, there was like a handful of witnesses from your record or from like where are some things that we're saying about the actual shooter. I know they had made nine one one calls.
Speaker 3: Or according to the record, french Line Reese and Lisa McDowell were two people who were driving past the crime. They both were stopped at this same.
Speaker 2: Light at different viewpoints.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, both one was heading north the other were heading south, but they were both you know, on opposite sides of the same light. According to Miss Frenshawn Reee, the light turned green, she see these people standing up half a block in front of her. The light turns green and she proceeds up. She sees one of these men shoot the other.
Speaker 2: Do you recall, like her identification, what description.
Speaker 3: She gave a description. I can't recall, but it wasn't a description that fit me. I believe her description was somebody like five, teen thirties, twenties thirties. I was a teen then, but it was something that definitely didn't fit me. I'm six', FOUR i was a teenager at the. Time so you, know it was a very for a crime from WHO i am. Now miss McDowell says that she was still there and when the crime, happened she heard the, shots looked over her and the kids were in the. Car she seen this person or somebody two people come around the build in and walk up on this man that was already on the ground where she's seeing the white man who we. Suspected she was saying Mister rego had a.
Speaker 2: Gun she actually puts a gun In origo's. Hand, yeah that's what she did at her initial statement to the. Police sometime later she would go on to change. That it really cut a lot of people's eye, because, like if what she's saying is, true then Mster frigo was not a, witness he was a participant in this.
Speaker 3: Crime you know What i'm. Saying i'm not sure if everything that happened or what the actual you, know uh relationship with what actually went. On it was a lot of questions around what actually happened then who was actually involved that?
Speaker 2: Day you know a lot of cases take a lot twists and, turns but your case is almost like a direct like a direct. Shot like you're at a you're hosting a, party, right and you, know like your barbituning Is july. Fourth it went out, there, right so you got twenty to forty, witnesses right That can you tell me about?
Speaker 3: That, well we threw a barbecue on myself and some friends AND i over on the block where we normally hung and we were out there throughout that. Afternoon uh the time that they say this murder happened to, occurred we were definitely out. THERE i had a dozen to two dozen people that could verify WHERE i.
Speaker 2: Was how how the hell they tie, you, like how they drag you?
Speaker 3: In you, KNOW i don't. Know that's SOMETHING i don't know to this. Day HOW i ever became a, Suspect HOW i had no link to the, gang no. TIES i wasn't a part of that gang or any gang for that. Matter i'm not, sure and to this day that's still the. Question, NO i never had any dealings with the victor them or anybody that was allegedly involved in this. CRIME i do.
Speaker 2: Nothing so how did they like effectuate the, Rest, like how was it the same day or?
Speaker 3: Later, No, SIR i was arrested like months. LATER i believe it was like two. MONTHS i got Arrested september the fifth of that, year which is exactly like two months. Later in between the time of the murder and my actual, arrest which was a couple of, MONTHS i had been arrested for some type of disorder to conduct of gambling or something like. That you, know in our neighborhood the police you, know soup you.
Speaker 2: Us, slaughtering, yeah lordman or those type of out here on these.
Speaker 3: Blocks and it's not a real big. Infraction it's in fraction that you normally go to like a misdemeanor corridor or something for and they just threw it. Out normally in my, neighborhood it's just the way to ring up.
Speaker 2: Guys it's almost like a.
Speaker 3: Taxation, yeah it's a few quotas type of. Things and there.
Speaker 2: Let everybody, know who's in.
Speaker 3: Charge, yeah basically and The chicago P.
Speaker 2: D you're gonna respect A. Doherty yeah, really that's definitely.
Speaker 3: Know so SO i get one of. Those it was nothing, major, up didn't do. Anything so this particular morning of my, Rest september the, fourth was the DAY i actually had court for this on the. Fence SO i go there the same WAY i. Would you have a court, date nothing to. Miss WHEN i walk in the, building police are. There these aren't the regular. Police these are like the tactical.
Speaker 2: Guys they're waiting on.
Speaker 3: You, yeah they're waiting. There as soon AS i go through the metal, detector they act, like, so what's your? Name AND i tell them my, name and these officers grab me and rough. Me you, know you know how they do you know What i'm. Saying so, yeah the.
Speaker 2: Thing, yeah the extra, yeah your hands.
Speaker 3: On, yeah so it's a grab you, up And i'm like for what you, KNOW whi y'all grabbing me for my attorney's right in the. Courtroom so the whole thing was to prevent me from getting a chance to notify my.
Speaker 2: Attorney oh that's something else, too because if they know you have, attorney they're not supposed to ask you.
Speaker 3: Nothing, well, right but they knew my attorney was there in their. COURTROOM i was going to, court he was.
Speaker 2: There you, know there's usually a very clear path to why the police picked. Somebody. Right one of the things THAT i hear a lot from people who have not lived the life that we have. Lived it's, like come, on what they do just pick the name out of a. HAT i could never figure out in your, Case, like how the hell did they pick? You you, know.
Speaker 3: That's still a mystery to this day for, me just as well as my legal team going. FORWARD i can't really tell you why they picked me. OUT i don't know that. Would that's something that baffles me to this. Day even when you aren't guilty and you know you haven't done, anything you still question, yourself like why? Me why the hell DID? I what COULD i have done? Differently you will and to this, day LIKE i questioned myself about, THAT i don't know WHAT i could have done differently BECAUSE i don't know anything in regards to what happened that.
Speaker 4: Day this episode is sponsored by THE Aig Pro Bono. PROGRAM aig is a leading global insurance, company and THE aig Pro bono program provides free legal, services as well as other support to many nonprofit organizations as well as individuals who are most in, need and they recently announced that working to reform the criminal justice system will become a key pillar of the program's.
Speaker 2: Mission the police Arrested eric without him, warrant and they took him to the. Station but he has no idea what's going. On you can imagine just being dragged away from your, family dragged away from your, house and the police took their time in telling him what this was all.
Speaker 3: About eventually they tell me That i'm there for. Murder the only THING i could tell you is that's like the most, earthshaking earth shattering like moment THAT i could tell. You you, know it was like you, know hearing the, record you, know like, Murder, yeah. MURDER i never been nobody accused of nothing remotely like. That, now it's like hold, on they tell you, murder and they leave out, again and they leave you for a while and then, yeah, Yeah then they come back in and they're, like, okay you want to tell us what happened, Now AND i don't know what, happened And i'm, denying and they steady tried to do. It you, know, hey well maybe it didn't happen this, Way maybe it happened that. Way we know you. Weren't, yeah we know you weren't the. Person and those are things that they go, out go, over they say and do a lot of different things do out those three. Days it really was LIKE i never been so broke down and so dejected and so defeated in my. Life i'll just say, that like just being in that just having people constantly yell and badger you and tell you and talk to you like you the, lowest thirtiest thing in the world and accused you of doing something like so. Horrific you, know it just shoters. You it broke. ME i was a nineteen year old. KID i never went through nothing like that. BEFORE i was just you, KNOW i was. SCARED i was. DEFEATED i was. HURT i didn't know and, like, man you just don't know what to do in that. Situation you a kid in. There, man the stuff that those grown men subject kids, too like in, That like you know What i'm.
Speaker 2: Saying one of the detectors on this case Was James, sanchez and since all this, happened he got promoted to commander despite having at least ninety formal complaints and miscind. Them so, yeah this is this character right, here he's the one actually Interrogating.
Speaker 3: Eric, yeah Mister. Sanchez LIKE i called him out his, NAME i cursed at. Him he said something to. ME i cursed at, him like, GAME i ask a nice one on the, face, yeah just the. Face yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Let you know it means.
Speaker 3: Business, yeah, yeah he got his point. Across, YEAH i ain't say that no.
Speaker 2: More after its, interrogation he waited for his trial behind bars and cook kinde of jail for two years.
Speaker 3: Being stuck in that. Place it's one of the most, dreadful, crepit dilapidated places that you could ever Throw so many people in is, rats, roaches, knives, violence, gangs if you name, it you get tyrannical police officers or corrections officers that would just do what like it was. ROUGH i seen people be stabbed if you name, it choke. STRANGLED i seen all kinds of things like happened to people. THERE i seen one guy like set on. Fire like it's some of the things that you wake up to when you have nowhere to. Go no whether, run you just, stuck you just.
Speaker 2: There so by the time you get the, trial it's almost like it's almost like a. Relief what is the states, like what's their case in? Chief what do they?
Speaker 3: Present, well we started trial about two years, later and the state's whole case in chief was the identifications Of miss McDowell And Miss. Reese and that was the only Thing i'll never forget. It miss French On rees testified to seeing the offender's face for probably four to five. Seconds miss McDowell testified to seeing it only for like two or.
Speaker 2: Three before, Trial errigan's mother put together list potential alibi witnesses that could confirm he was at The fourth Of july barbecue and not down At Fat albert's restaurant where the crime was.
Speaker 3: Committed my mom made the calls to two people that day to ultimately come to my trial and testify and my defense with those two alibi. Witnesses two of the people from twenty or Forty, yeah that he hadn't even spoken to until my trial attorney hadn't even spoken to until. That more thing that they showed.
Speaker 2: Up you're waiting for, Trial just for the, record you're waiting for trial two years and he hasn't even spoke to two, witnesses but a few hours before.
Speaker 3: Trial, yeah according to, them that is the first time they ever met or spoke with. Him was like and it wasn't even hours he spoke to, them like probably for a short period prior to them getting UNDERSTAND i kind of felt, like, okay not really, Okay BUT i KNOW i got an. ALABIM i KNOW i got a bunch of people that know WHERE i would you, KNOW i just know that there's a, mistake that this would be straightened.
Speaker 2: Out but the, lawyer he he doesn't really follow.
Speaker 3: Up he, didn't the police didn't follow, up the lawyer didn't follow. Up at that, POINT i was a. LAYMAN i knew nothing about the law going. IN i. Didn't it's like you're really learning as you go, along and the sad part is you're learning with your. Life.
Speaker 2: Yeah no room for, Error, yeah.
Speaker 3: No room for er.
Speaker 2: Room before his, Trial rick's attorney convinced him to take a bench. Trial in a jury, trial you pick your twelve. Jurors, however in a bench, trial the judge is the sole trial. Fact he's the one who hears the evidence and determines guilt or. Innocence so you're putting all your eggs in one.
Speaker 3: Basket he said that in my, situation it was better to. Go and he definitely convinced. Me he gave me a lot of different reasons and AND i really didn't want to, Go LIKE i really didn't want. It but like you a, kid it's your first time going through, this who would you listen to other than the person that's supposed to defend you your.
Speaker 2: Attorney an attorney and his client are in a fiduciary. Relationship he's supposed to look out for your best. Interests he's supposed to defend you. Zealously in, retrospect as a jail house, LAWYER i could tell you taking a bench trial is a terrible. Idea it closes out a bunch of chances for your appeal to be heard because a lot of the issues actually become non issues because the judge is presumed to know the. Law But, eric he didn't know this at the.
Speaker 3: Time he was just a.
Speaker 2: Kid On september twenty, seventh the judge Found Eric blackman guilty of murder and was sentenced to sixty years in.
Speaker 3: Prison i'll never forget my mom was in that courtroom and like just the shriek that she let out was like Some i'll never forget because we KNOW i hadn't done. It everybody knew, it, everybody the whole, neighborhood, everybody the, police they even knew even when they were seeing it in that, room they knew THAT i hadn't done. It they knew. It but they told, me you gonna say as to, Jail you're gonna go through all of, this and those things played through my. Mind what was gonna happen WHEN i got to the, penitentiary my, kids my. Family hearing that Guilty verdy was like hand one of the, worst if not the worst there of my life. Ever just KNOWING i didn't do, it it was hard to sleep at. NIGHT i. COULDN'T i COULDN'T i couldn't, REST i couldn't, SLEEP i couldn't. EAT i thought about killing myself so many, times even tried.
Speaker 2: Once by the TIME i Met, eric he's working hard to save his own. LIFE i met him in a law library and he was deep deep in the, books trying to learn everything he could to get himself out of. THERE i think you were the one that told, me BECAUSE i used to tell everybody pro say gets no play like that's like one of my, things like you represent, yourself forget about? It, Right SO i think you were the first one told me uh uh. RIGHT i was, like, man what you mean IF i ain't got a, lorder YOU i ain't getting out of. Jail so you file stuff yourself and actually got some type of, rhythm, RIGHT i mean not at first, obviously.
Speaker 3: Right so, yeah we went through the process AND i went through the direct appeal process the posting process that was. Denied both of those were.
Speaker 2: Denied the next step For eric was still pill to the federal courts with the rid of habeas, corpus a petition that claims you've been in prison on violation of your constitutional. Rights it's your first and last federal.
Speaker 3: Pill the only time that the federal courts will ever look at a conviction or overturn the conviction is if the state courts did not convict you correctly according to federal, law THE us constitutional. Law so basically you have to find not only that they were, wrong but they have to be more than. Wrong they have to be so egregious as to where LIKE i, mean it's a high bar to. Pass you have.
Speaker 2: To ask the district, judge the guy who smashes you in the. Head give me a letter that you did me wrong SO i can take it to your.
Speaker 3: Boss, yeah so you asked him to reconsider his. Decision if he, doesn't then and you have to find what they call a certificate of ap pillability to. Him and that's where you have to get him or her to say where they were, wrong which they very very rarely do we get to the point whether the certificate of appillability Is granny AND i get these great attorneys And retail And DAVID. P. CROME i appreciate them so much because after WHAT i had been through with the first, ATTORNEY i gave him. Hell and it wasn't, intentionally it was just because Trust, yeah that was my, life that had been my baby for so. LONG i finally had got, some you, know AND i just couldn't give it, up you know What i'm. Saying so you go through it and, like, man they were the best attorneys THAT i ever could have asked. For those people understood and they loved. Me like even WHEN i was an, ass WHEN i was, WRONG i had badgered them about what they were going to. Argue what you're gonna, say you know What i'm saying like, this.
Speaker 2: No just That i'd like to be told how to do their.
Speaker 3: Job hey, LOOK i mean, HEY i was the only person that was going to go back and do that time at the end of the. Day so to jail say hey we get to go. Back we are. Elated but another problem presents. ITSELF i had been in jail at that point so. Long money is, depleted don't have many people around to. Help you have a new, Trial you have a new. Case what you're going to? Do how do you perceied going? Forward and mister kron he was, like, hey we got a few. Options and one of those options was we could see if the c W, s the CENTERM waw For, convictions will be willing to take your. CASE i told, him, yeah you could do whatever you. Want BUT i asked them about and they said, NO.
Speaker 2: I had good luck with.
Speaker 3: That. Yeah so you, know we come we have this attorney meeting AND i see these the new. Faces i'd never seen this one, little, small wildly looked woman like she barely stood over the table like and she was, like, Hey i'm Caring. Daniels and she was, like, yeah so we are going to be here and taking your case And we're looking forward to working with. You and the first THING i said was when she got, finished was, Like, hey but y'all told me no. Before why you tell me no? Before and LIKE i was just sitting there intently waiting on the, answer and she didn't say. Anything she just gave me that mother look and looked at the paper and she liid it to. Me AND i signed that paper and that was one of the best things That i've ever done for my.
Speaker 2: Life and that lawyer Was Karen daniel makes she rest in. Peace she was a renowned wrawful convictions attorney who at the time was a co director of The center For Wrangful. Convictions she and the students she supervised one more than twenty exoneration cases during her. Career she was a great, woman a real hero who helped me out WHEN i was lost in the airport coming From georgia and she really didn't even know. Me she died in a tragic hit and running car crash in twenty, twenty a lass that's felt deeply across the innocence movement.
Speaker 3: Community she liked my second. MOTHER i often tell people like that she the one who gave me my second birth who gave me my second. Life so to, me, like, yeah she was like my mother and she just did so, much like in a way for this. Community if she didn't work your, case it didn't get you an. Attorney she made some precedent that you ultimately ended up, using and everybody benefited from.
Speaker 2: Her arrogan's new team of lawyers brought us case to THE Us Seventh Circuit court Of. Appeals Judge Ronald guzman Granted eric's petition for rid of habeas corpus and was let out prison on bond penning of. Retrial actually the same DAY i got, OUT i.
Speaker 3: Was living life very barely because you always had the you, know imposition that maybe you may go. Back you know What i'm. Saying you knew what it was. Like you, know it was always hanging. There it's like walking around with that black cloud or that am build over your, head just waiting for it to, drop and you didn't know what it would. Be you. KNOW i know THAT i hadn't done, anything BUT i KNEW i hadn't done, anything you, know the first. Time AND i believe it's the fall case that says even an innocent man still faces a fifty to fifty chance if he goes to. Trial SO i knew what my chances. WERE i didn't want to go back to, jail BUT i knew WHAT i had to. Do like we still had that hurd her to get. ACROSS i was scared as. HELL i wanted to prolonget as long AS i, could but then that really wasn't a viable. Thought SO i told my attorneys to let's do man. Trial it was six months AFTER i got, out and we demand the, trial and, uh when it came, time they decided not to. Proceed they dropped the.
Speaker 2: Charges then comes to, Celebration, nah.
Speaker 3: Not, really because it was anti. Climactic you think it's gonna be overw then you, think, like, hey life is. Great you know a lot of us think that that would be the end of the, movie Right, Na but it's just the. Beginning BECAUSE i heard that thing for like more than half of my. LIFE i didn't really know like how to live without. It like it was a different.
Speaker 2: Era we come home to a different. Area it's a different.
Speaker 3: World yeah it really. Is but then you you, know you really just like wake up and you don't have to worry about, That you don't have to go through. It. Anymore but it's LIKE i don't, KNOW i don't even remember the point to WHERE i didn't have to go through. It so.
Speaker 2: It's like it becomes our, life, right and it becomes almost like which we're defined, by like you were actually become a success story just like you start WORKING. Cwc, right what is? That like where's the sweet part like in your? Work and you know WHAT i, Mean.
Speaker 3: LIKE i tell people like, THIS i guess the great sweet spot is that you still get a chance to work on trying to ultimately correct the system or not allow whatever happened to me to happen to the next. Person you, know that's the part that gets up and keep me, driving you, know keeps me. Going at the same, time it's like going back to visit your tournament to over and over and over, again because every time you pick up a, case it takes you right back to that spot for. You every TIME i go to the, court you, know And i'm, Good i'm, great rap, Everything but sometimes that same fear creeps back is that first day WHEN i was standing in there AND.
Speaker 2: I know it's it's all, consuming it's all. Consuming, Yeah SO i mean our day THAT i don't have A stateville. Reference there's not a single day THAT i am not back. There WHAT i want to ask, you, though is what would you invite the, audience how can they help, you or something that's near and dear to your heart? Right what is your call to?
Speaker 3: ACTION i guess my personal call to action is to keep, fighting is to keep on trying to do things to make our justice system. BETTER i know people might say that we have like a great justice, system BUT i tell, people much like Doctor king once said that an injustice anywhere is a threat to justice. Everywhere so if one person is in jail, wrongfully or if one person is over, sentenced then it runs the chance of it happening to two and three and four and five and so more to where it'll become the. Norm AND i look at so many people that are sentenced, today AND i see a lot of people over. Sentenced we're punitively punishing people, consistently like and WHAT i mean by that, Is, yeah people make, mistakes people commit, crimes but do we take their? Lives like for every. Infraction we have more people slated to die in prison now than at any point in time. Before so WHEN i say to, people, yeah you could, say somebody committed a crime more or WHATEVER i say to. You so what do we do do we take the life from and to the people that say, Yeah i'll just, say, hey what about that red stop sign that you? Read what about that red light you? Read that's not what penalty should you? Get you. KNOW i work with a lot of different Org so the first thing IS i work for The MacArthur Justice, center which is a civil entity that sues for people like us and other people who you, know face any civil rights. Violation we do things like voters, rights prisoner, rights solitary wrongful, convictions wrongful, death police, shootings and those type of. Things so these are the things THAT i feel are really near and dear to me being a chance to write the. SYSTEM i also work for The Chicago Torture Justice, center which works on basically trying to make sure that all of The, birds The John, birds torture, victims you, know get justice in their. Cases AND i sit on the board for that. END i also sit on the board for another or called The Justice Renewal, initiative where we try to give jobs to youth that are you, know disadvantaged and targeted or you, know return to, citizens and we try best to work with youth on that front to ultimately help.
Speaker 2: Them, yeah so they don't talk what we went. Through, yeah, yeah exactly. Important so we'll have those links to those organizations in the. Bile hopefully everyone will check them. Out you get to find a word disclosing. ARGUMENTS i, really, really really truly want to thank you for let me tell your. STORY i really commend you your survive.
Speaker 3: THANKS i Guess i'll take this time to just thank the people that helped me to get to this, point help me get, freedom help me be sitting here with you. ALL i don't think THAT i get a chance to say, that, well thank you and just tell those people how much they, meant how much every little thing that they ever did help. ME i thank all of those, people And i'd just like to say thank, you thank, you thank, you thank, you thank. YOU i don't THINK i can say it.
Speaker 2: Enough thank you for listening To Wrongful. CONVICTION i like to thank our executive Producers Jason flem And Kevin. Wadis The senior producer for this episode Is Jackie, polly and our producers Are Lyla, Robinson Conner, hall And Jeff. Cliveborne our editor Is Roxander gwedy and special thanks To Jillian forstad for help on this. Episode the music in this production is by three TIME oscar nominated Composer Jay. Ralph be sure to follow us On instagram At Wrongful, conviction On facebook At Wrongful conviction, podcast and On twitter at Wrong conviction as well As lava For. Good on all three. Platforms you can also follow me On facebook And instagram at Free Patrick pursley at Imkit culture two and online at imkidculture dot. Org Wrongful conviction is a production Of lava For Good podcasts and association With Signal Company Number.
Speaker 1: One tune in next week for the third and final episode Of Wrongful, conviction Where Patrick persley plays the host And patrick this time is going to Interview Jarvis ballard about their tragic shared. Experience, now both of them are innocent men who spent decades behind, bars and in this intimate and highly emotional, episode they're going to talk about the lies that Landed jarvis in prison and the patterns of misconduct at play in so many wrongful conviction, cases just like. Theirs, Now patrick Met jarvis the same TIME i, did which is that this Year's Innocence network conference In, Phoenix. Arizona both of us were immediately taken by this larger than life. Character this guy just got out of prison after two decades and he's there representing himself in such a powerful. Way so these guys bonded. Immediately it was an honor for me to be able to facilitate their connection and to Have patrick on the mic in my chair Interviewing. Jarvis it just means the world to, me so tune in listen Next monday in The Wrongful conviction podcast feed