Speaker 1: In Case You Missed It with Christina Williams is an iHeart Women's Sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. Welcome to another episode of In Case You Missed It with Christina Williams. Here on iHeart Women's Sports and you guys know, it's Friday, so we call this Fan Out Friday, where we have some of the biggest names around the league and in the entertainment industry join us to talk all things women's basketball. I'm super excited about today's guest. Her name is Haley Vanlitz. She's also known by her initials around the league as h El. She's an American professional basketball player for the Chicago Sky But if you've been following her basketball career, you know that she has been a standout basketball player at Louisville. She also played for LSU and most recently TCU before getting drafted into the WNBA. Last summer, she took the world storm when she led Team USA's three x three team to a bronze medal. Please welcome to the show, Hailey vanlet Haley, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you for being here. So before we get into you know, your basketball journey and all things hoops, we like to start the show with our guests sharing their win of the week. So what was a win this week for you? Oh?
Speaker 2: I would say win for me was I love puzzles, Like in my off time, I love to do puzzles and I finished one this week, so that was a great moment.
Speaker 1: Nice. What was what was the puzzle? I'm curious now.
Speaker 2: I actually it's a fancy wooden one. I get them from London and it was like an owl, like a owl and then with a bunch of different color colorful owls. So it was it was cute.
Speaker 1: I love that that look that you're into puzzles. I used to be into it, so maybe I'll start to get back more into it. Okay, so you're playing for the Chicago Sky currently and we're still pretty much early into this season. How has that transition been like for you so far?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean coming into the w NBA being a pro, it's definitely a huge step up and it's fast. It comes at you fast, like there's barely any any time to prepare, get ready to take a break, and just being able to take it on the information but also enjoying myself at the same time has definitely been a balance and every day, you know, I had to work on that balance of not getting too overwhelmed and enjoying myself and embracing this moment. But it's been it's been awesome. I've had so much fun. And we're just at the beginning of the season still, so you know, I can't wait for what the rest of the summer has in store.
Speaker 1: And there's definite like summertime, Shy. Have you been able to enjoy the city so far?
Speaker 2: You know, it just started to warm up. The weather was a little bit, you know, like bipolar for for a little bit there, but as it started to warm up, Man, it's so beautiful and just with the water front right here, like when we come into prag just in the mornings or before games, like just getting to see that and sometimes I'll stop and just like take a moment to chill. But it's so beautiful, you know, I think I'm gonna have plenty of memories here.
Speaker 1: So Haley, I want to get into the year that you've been having. I feel like you've got some of the best basketball, like a best the best year of one of your careers because you played at TCU where you led them to the conference championship, you had a postseason birth, and then you get drafted into the w NBA And hindsight, looking back at your TCU career, what did that teach you about yourself?
Speaker 2: You know, TCU was a huge moment of like rebirth, and it really showed you like what faith and perseverance and resilience can do. And I think, you know, it was a huge like reaffirming confidence booster for me, Like I can do hard, I can push through hard things in life and like see the other side. And you know, faith is a huge thing for me. So just continuing to grow that and you know, build my relationship with God. That was a huge year for just you know, personal goals and reaching them and so it was great and it was a great moment. But it's gone and so now I need to, you know, start this new journey in my life. And you know, I'm grateful for that year at TCU, but you know, life moves on fast.
Speaker 1: You feel like you're playing with a different purpose now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think definitely my perspective has changed a lot. So the way that I viewed basketball in the past or like, my role in the game of basketball is way different now. So I definitely would say, like I move with a different purpose. I wake up every day with with a different energy behind me, and I'm happy with that. I'm glad that happened.
Speaker 1: You said that you view yourself in a different role when it comes to basketball. Can you just expand more on that, and what role do you see yourself in now?
Speaker 2: Before some before I would see basketball as just the game, but now I see it as a vehicle for me to like impact people, and it's it's the place where I can really be myself and be free and express myself on the court. But through that expression, I can really like impact people and build connection and you know, connect with the greater world. And I think that that's something that has given me, like a ton a lot peace. Whereas before, when you see just the game, it can be very stressful and it can be a love hate relationship. But you know, now that I've kind of changed the way that I see basketball, I definitely have peace a lot more of my days.
Speaker 1: I was super excited when the Chicago's guy took you off the draft board one because you would be able to learn from a player like Courtney Vanders Snooth. And we now know that Courtney will miss the remainder of the twenty twenty five season. But how are you one, how are you processing her absence and how has her leadership early on in the season helped you grow as a point guard?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean slew is one of the greats of the game, you know, Hall of famer. She's our all time leading scorer here with our organization. Like she just she checks all the boxes and she's a great person too, And so I'm really grateful for her willingness to spend time with me and like invest into, you know, helping my career. Obviously, she's going through her own journey right now with with an injury, and we are putting a ton of energy behind her because that can be that can be a tough road, and so you know, I'm sending her all the love right now. And but she's still is finding time for me. She'll come to practice, she'll watch practices, and I'll just walk over to her and pick her brain about little things of the game that can help me be a better point guard. And so just having her around, it's definitely like a safety net for me of like, I always have this person that can help me get better, and so I'm really excited to spend more time with her and you know, be there for each other on our journeys.
Speaker 1: You said you pick her brains about the little thing. What specifically are some of those little things that you've been able to learn from her in such a short time.
Speaker 2: Little things like setting up a ball screen, how to set it up where like where on this before to go to get this player, and how to manipulate defenses that you know aren't very loud or exciting, but they're subtle and they help you win. And so just any little thing or if we're trying to run action and it's not working, what's her immediate reaction to that, what does she go to?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What are her decision making processes? So anything I can I can get any time I can get with her. It's not always about the huge schemes. It's about the little ones that we talk about.
Speaker 1: And I know lots of fans were excited to see you team up with Anchiories, But from my perspective, I really like this young core that the Chicago skuy has decided to put together and invest in and although this season is not necessarily turning out the way you guys would want it to or some of the positives that you see coming from this young core and building this team up in Chicago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, when we're talking about our our youthfulness, I think that going through hard times with people can really benefit you in the long run. So this this core, this youthful core that we have going through a season like this that isn't necessarily going the way that we want right now, it's only going to make us emotionally closer. We're gonna spend a ton of time and when you when you go through hardship together, you want to, you know, change it all the more, and the more people that you you have in that group, the stronger the giveback is going to be. So, I mean, the season, the season is definitely hard for us in the moment, but you know, we're the type of team that can change change it very fast, turn around very fast. And I'm excited to continue to get closer to and build a better relationship with, you know, our our younger players, knowing that we probably will have many years ahead of us with each other.
Speaker 1: One of the things that I noticed when you guys played in New York. Just how much the vets stand Tinto's down for you all, Like Iero Atkins with her she came out and defended Angel Rees. What's it like to have vets right to have your back, but also to be able to learn from them and be a part of this journey as well.
Speaker 2: It means everything, you know, to have vets that will stand up for you, because when you're a younger player, you do feel a little bit vulnerable in that sense of like you can't always defend yourself and sometimes you just have to take things because you are the like the rookie, the young player, and so to have stand up for you and we'll like do the talking for you again, it adds that closeness to that relationship. The bonds get get stronger, the team grows closer, and you know, I'm very grateful that we have people like that on on this squad that are willing to take that role because it's definitely essential, especially when you're when you're trying to win games like we are. And so you know, Ariel is a great girl. We have a ton of girls that that would have done it if they were in that in that situation, and it just speaks to our character, and I think at the end of the day, character goes a long way.
Speaker 1: How do you respond to people criticizing you know, you early on in your career. There were some comments made last week by Angel Macatya. I'm not sure if you had heard any of this stuff, but how do you how do you respond to critics? You know, being so young in your career, you said, and just developing and handling the adversity of the season in itself, but also like all of the noise on the outside, how do you handle that? How do you respond to that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean at the end of the day, I don't respond to it. It's not something that is I don't live with it. It's not in my daily life. You know, social media isn't real to me. It's virtual, it's digital, it's it's not physical, and so I don't respond. I don't address it. I have people bring things up to me about, you know, whatever the critics or the public may be saying in the moment. But at a very young age, I went on that I started that journey of you know, being exposed to public opinion. And so this is by far not the first time that this has happened, and it's just another you know, it's just another one for me. It doesn't it doesn't mean anything. And at the end of the day, if I call myself, you know, a woman of God, I have to carry myself, you know, according to those standards and you know, forgiveness, mercy, love, grace. I know I sometimes speak on people incorrectly or out of spite or you know, jealousy, and that's okay. I have grace for those moments. And at the end of the day, we're all human. So yeah, and obviously your resume speaks for itself. But what do you feel like you bring to this Chicago Skuide team. Yeah, I think that I have a natural competitive edge about me, and I also have a work ethic that can be contagious sometimes. And so for me, it's more about the character traits that I can bring, especially as a rookie. You know, sometimes your minutes and your opportunities are going to be limited being a younger player, and so like, how can I show up and impact every day even if I'm not playing forty minutes a game. And I think that's by my attitude, my energy, you know, in my character and so I think I can have an immediate impact in those areas and I'm just going to continue to be a competitive, you know, energetic player who's pass about the game.
Speaker 1: Now I have to ask you this question. What would you say was your welcome to the w moment. Have you had a moment like that so far early in the season, What was a moment that made you feel like, oh my god, I am really part of you know, the WNBA right now.
Speaker 2: Honestly, for me, you know, playing it wasn't like it was just a moment where I was like, wow, like this is my life, this is the dream that I always had and I'm living in When we played New York in the Barclays Center with that crowd, Like over the last couple of years, I always watched the finals on TV there of being like, one day, hopefully I'll play in the WNBA, and like just to play in the arena with that environment and it's such a historic place in itself, Like to just get to play on that core and be in that moment, it definitely it was. It was a memorable thing for me, for sure.
Speaker 1: You've answered the WNBA at such an interesting time where the interest in momentum is at an all time peak. How does that make you feel to be a part of this wave of changing the game in real time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it obviously means what we makes what we do mean so much more, you know, not just for us, but also for the next generation of players that it's going to come through. How can we improve the game for them and give them better opportunities? And you know, there's a new CBA coming up being negotiated. Our union has done an incredible job of being prepared and having proposals that you know, we think are fair and you know, we're we're looking forward to, you know, having those discussions and you know, helping the w NBA move forward and grow.
Speaker 1: You brought up the CBA, and I saw this week of players across the league have been sharing the statement from the w M P p A about how those current negotiations are going. Nakagumka has said that they're going smoothly. But what do you think the league can absolutely not get wrong when it comes to you know, this next CBA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think when you look at what we're looking to improve, there's a ton of things that are essential. Obviously, the biggest, most popular one is salary. The discussion around salary and a lot of that is we're just asking to have a similar struck pay structure as other professional leagues, and we don't right now. And so it's not that we're asking for anything extra or something that's never been done before. This is the template for a lot of other pro organizations, and so we're just we're looking to, you know, have our pay match what we bring to the table, and that's obviously going to be one of the main focal points of the CBA.
Speaker 1: When you think about your basketball journey, Hayley, when you started at a young age versus who you are now, how would you describe the person that you are now and what can fans expect from the Chicago Skuy moving forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the person that I am now throughout my whole career. Honestly, I've what I'm most proud of is I'm someone that is open to change and open to you know, adapting to whatever the environment, the challenge, the goal is and I'm gonna give my best to whatever form I have to take for that to happen. And in regards to translating that to the Chicago Sky, I think just committing to the everyday process of getting better. Obviously, when you're in the situation that we're in, it it's the everyday little wins that we can stack to start to really make change. And so I'm going to be a huge part of that of committing myself every day to get a little bit better at just one thing. And if that's what gets done, you know, we can hang our hat on that at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 2: Our team as a whole is just we're we're committed to that, to those everyday little wins, and we're gonna stack them and make some big progress at the.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's a message that can resonate with anyone. Just get one percent better each and every single day. Hailey, thank you so much for joining us this week on In Case You Missed It with Christina Williams on Iheartwomen's Sports Network. Truly appreciate you joining.
Speaker 2: Us, of course, thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, Chaul, that's gonna do it for this week's episode of In Case You Missed It with Christina Williams. I want to thank Haley once again for being our guest this week. Don't forget to rate, review and subscribe to the podcast and we'll see you guys next week. In case you missed it with Christina Williams is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.