Speaker 1: From the heart where innovation, money and power.
Speaker 2: Collie in Silicon Valley, NBN.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed Ludlow.
Speaker 4: I'm Caroline Heidel Bloomberg's world headquarters in New York.
Speaker 1: And I'm Ed Ludlow in San Francisco. This is Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 5: Coming up full. Earning's coverage ahead.
Speaker 4: Tesla shares they slum after warning about a notably slower growth rate.
Speaker 5: Details ahead, Plus.
Speaker 1: We stick with earnings and sit down with the CFO of service now as the company hits a record high on strong results.
Speaker 4: And Microsoft cunning nearly two thousand jobs in its gaming division, including Activision, will bring in the latest as the tech giant, slash is eight percent of its video game workforce, with key personnel leaving well a.
Speaker 2: Pretty ferocious news cycle.
Speaker 1: Intel is out with Ernie after the bell, but a deal announced this morning with UMC, the Taiwanese chip maker. Basically, UMC gets access to twelve nanometer technology. On the manufacturing side, Intel, in the context of its Arizona facilities, gets utilization of some prior gen hardware. This is a great win for onshoring manufacturing capacity in the US. You think the commerce department is pretty happy about it. We will look into that deal for Intel's foundry business later in the program.
Speaker 2: IBM up twelve percent.
Speaker 1: Touching a ten year high after a strong outlook in the sales context. They're warning about some workforce reduction, but the market likes the outlook on the enterprise side from IBM. And then there's Microsoft up nine tens one percent, cutting nineteen hundred jobs at both Activision and Xbox units. This happens though in M and A, doesn't it. Sometimes. We will go to Jason Schreier, our video games correspondent later in the program to really understand what's happening with Microsoft Activision.
Speaker 2: There is one single name the world's.
Speaker 1: Paying attention to today, and that is Tesla. Tesla is down significantly more than ten percent on an inch dai basis biggest drop since October. If it closes down now eleven and a half percent, that will be the biggest drop in more than a year. It's trading at its lowest level since May. Why, well, the market is zeroed in on the guidance Tessa gave that production or output growth in twenty twenty four will be significantly lower than it was in twenty twenty three, and at the same time they dropped this pretty long standing guidance of fifty percent compound annual average growth, which goes all the way back to the end of twenty twenty. Now, within that, there's a lot of optimism about AI, about Optimus, the robot FSD, and Elon Mask's role within the company, a lot to digest. Let's break it down with Tasha Kini, director of Investment Analysis in Institutional Strategies at ARC Invests, and Loatasha, I know you're super bullish on this name. Let's focus on what the market's looking at in the first instance, which is a next generation EV platform is coming. We're coming out the back of the Model.
Speaker 2: Three and why era.
Speaker 1: So output will be less in twenty twenty four from a growth perspective.
Speaker 2: Does that worry you?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well you said it.
Speaker 7: You know, we're really focused on the long term here at ARC invest which really you should be for a disruptive name like Tesla. So you know they did mention, yes, production growth for this coming year will be slower. You know, they are focused on this next generation vehicle platform and they're they're attributing you know, the part of the cautiousness on production to that and overall that's a great thing, right, you know as well as anyone that I'm excited about the robotaxi opportunity. So the fact that they're building a custom robotaxi vehicle is really exciting and shows their confidence and their autonomous capability. You know, we have FSD twelve, their latest version of the autonomous technology software in the car rolling out to customers. That again shows confidence and their capability. We also heard that Optimists might begin shipping next year, So I think, you know, Tesla is this behemoth in the AI space. It's going to be one of the greatest AI opportunities of our time, and I think to ignore that is frankly wrong when thinking about the stock.
Speaker 6: So I'm excited about it.
Speaker 1: Well, the next gen vehicle platform joins the traditional car making side of the story with the AI story, right, what did we learn? Must say it will be low cost, that they're making progress on start of production, which will start in Texas in the first instance. But he said take twenty twenty five with a grain of salt. Did you learn enough during the call about the next gen platform to fully understand where we go from here on this future ROBOTAXI concept.
Speaker 6: Yes, well, I'd say.
Speaker 7: You know, overall, I think Elon is a lot more cautious than he has been in the past with his forecast. I mean he said it on the call that he has been really optimistic with timelines, and honestly, who can blame them, because I think humans in general are pretty bad at predicting AI progress. But yes, we heard that they can start production next year on the next generation vehicle platform. You know, I think there's a lot of cause for optimism, and what they said around margins, so we saw automotive gross margins X credits tick up.
Speaker 6: In the quarter.
Speaker 7: You know, we did hear that one they're they're cutting costs on a per car basis in a way that's really unprecedented in the auto industry.
Speaker 6: And they also said.
Speaker 7: That even though you know, on their current vehicle platform they're sort of reaching the limits of that cost reduction, that doesn't mean that they're done right. So we heard on the design side, you know, it's commodity prices that flows through to.
Speaker 6: The underlying costs of the vehicle. That takes some time.
Speaker 7: So there's still optimismism there, and I think that's amazing. I mean, when you look at EV's as a whole, traditional automakers are cutting back on their electric vehicle platforms. I mean that's a bad idea because evs are already cost competitive with guess power cars us what, it's.
Speaker 6: Only going to get cheaper. So this is the future and Tesla is the leader there your models.
Speaker 4: I mean the last time it was updated, you had an expected value for share of two thousand dollars in Tesla by twenty twenty seven, predicated on the idea of this robotaxi venture on the bull and the bear case. Where do you stand right now when he is saying take twenty twenty five with a grain of salt, how much do you think we will see robotaxis become in use, in place, revenue generating by twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So you know, we're currently updating our model lookout for let's say, over the next few months, and updated price target for a master for twenty twenty eight. And actually our big ideas deck or annual research presentation on you know, the technologies that we cover as a whole is coming out soon, so that'll give you a little preview. But I'd say overall, you know we are on economy, right, you think about it in the five year term, So could they be late a few quarters?
Speaker 6: Absolutely? And again humans are bad at predicting AI, right.
Speaker 7: I could have told you comfortably the night before CHATCHBT came out and was released to the world the chatbots weren't that good.
Speaker 6: But guess what had changed overnight?
Speaker 7: And we already see from players like Waimo that robotaxies are possible. We actually already see from Tesla that robotaxes are possible because you can watch the consumer videos online that show people that have virtually no interventions than full point.
Speaker 6: To point rides.
Speaker 7: So it's just a matter of when and do I think that'll happen in the next five years? Yeah, And I think we've heard again some of the confidence in f SD twelve, which is an important milestone for them in making the road to full economy.
Speaker 4: On the call, Patasha, your thesis, an ARCS thesis on the bet of Tesla is that it is inextricably linked with AI, with robotics. Yet we hear Elmask threatening to take those two key things that innovation elsewhere if he doesn't get the twenty five percent votings control that he wants in the company.
Speaker 5: Are you worried by that threat?
Speaker 7: I think that's really overblown the fear about that. I mean, one, we are very happy to have. Elon must be incentivized to change the world. I mean, this man is clearly capable of amazing things when it comes to robotics and AI, so we want his incentives to be aligned with the future of Tesla. Also, you know, Tesla's been investing in this for you know, the past decade or so.
Speaker 6: They are years ahead of the competition when it comes to AI.
Speaker 7: To give you an example, currently Tesla vehicles are able to access over two million miles per day driven in full self driving from customers. So that's very important training data that you need to make a fully autonomous car. You know, way mow in the course of the lifetime of the project as single digit millions worth of driving data. So this is you know, Tesla is so much further ahead when it comes to scale on a I already and again I'm really excited for this coming year.
Speaker 6: Optimists.
Speaker 7: We think could be you know, general purpose robots could be roughly a tenillion dollar mark market alone in manufacturing.
Speaker 6: Even more, when you look to, say like household tasks, which could be further down the line. So there's so many exciting things ahead for Tesla.
Speaker 7: So I think the focus on you know, demand production in the short term is really just that at its short term focus when you want to be long term focused.
Speaker 4: With this name, Tasha KINI still saying vilishly thank you, director of Investment Analysis and Institutional Strategies at ARC invest.
Speaker 5: Meanwhile, we're just talking about it.
Speaker 4: How Musk is pretty much persisting with his pursuit of a bigger controlling stake in Tesla, wanting the board to approve of an increase of twenty five percent holding from the thirteen percent he currently has. Of course, he is threatening that without it, Hilbill is ai and robotics products elsewhere. During the earnings call on Wednesday, he said that with so little influence at the company at this stage, I could be voted out by some random shareholder advisory firm.
Speaker 5: I think about whether.
Speaker 4: He could be voted out, whether he should be voted out, and indeed what is holding should be with kristenhal founder and CEO of Near Impact Capital, is a social impact fund that's owned about two n eighty two thousand dollars of Testa stock as on mid year, and has waged pressure campaigns against the company for years, including via shareholder resolutions.
Speaker 5: So, Kristin, we know the era with which you come.
Speaker 4: In fact, the last time you joined the show, it was surrounding the anti Semitic controversy surrounding and Lamask and you said, he's got to go.
Speaker 5: What do you think of him?
Speaker 4: One and twenty five percent control of the company?
Speaker 5: Carline.
Speaker 8: Thanks for having me today. This is such an interesting and of course complicated CEO. So when we were talking about anti semitism, there just isn't any room in corporate America anywhere for those types of comments, and so that's where that was coming from. Of course, this CEO is very unique both on the innovation, the ability to step outside the box and completely go against the status quo, and in lots of ways that's really important. That's really you know, he's not tied to how we've done things in the past, and he wants to do things differently where we're cautious are some of these inflammatory statements. So he wants twenty five percent ownership, and yet you know he had almost that, He's had almost that in the past. I think he's down to about thirteen percent now, having used some of that money to purchase X And so what do we mean about incentives. I'd say we're also very much in agreement that we want the CEO to have incentives for the long term of the company. And yet money isn't an incentive to the world's richest man. So having those voting rights is going to be really interesting. He did make some comments in the earnings call yesterday about ISS and Glass Lewis. They do make recommendations about and many of the institutional investors follow those recommendations as far as voting rights, and so we like to have some of these recommendations coming out so that we can rein in a CEO who may need that from time to time.
Speaker 2: Kristin.
Speaker 1: What mus said about ISS was that his nickname for them was Isis, which clearly is an inflammatory comment. I know that our audience just want to understand the basics here from impact investors like NIA on their rationale, right, if there are many that just say Elon Musk says things that upset people, he says things that are controversial, but at the same time, over a ten year period, he has grown Teslas to be the clear market incumbent in evs. He's changed the game for space technology and mankind's ability to get to lower orbit.
Speaker 2: Excuse my voice, So.
Speaker 1: How important to you is that you kind of get some result here without offsetting you know what? Is quite clearly a capable leader.
Speaker 8: And thanks so much for that question. So capable leader that I would say that's up for grabs. He's certainly leading quite a few, and of course he's leading in the AI and we actually were really interested in that battery play and he's shown that that's a really important part of what they want to roll out both into twenty twenty four, twenty five and beyond. Where we have questions and concerns are some of his statements. And so comparing ISS, which is Institutional Shareholder Services, to ISIS, that's inflammatory and it doesn't even make any sense. This is a group that puts out proxy recommendations based on what they believe is good for the long term of company. They have nothing to do with ISIS, so that that's problematic. He's also made some comments recently about DEI diversity equity inclusion that really do cause concerns, particularly because we need Tesla to be to have a really strong brand, both for the consumer side, because people need to be feel really strong and great about purchasing and driving that car using that battery, also the solar for rooving. And what we're concerned about is his ability to attract retained top talent if people don't see a place for them within this innovation.
Speaker 1: Okay, Kristen Hall, near Impact Capital, we're grateful for your time on the program. Thank you, Caroline. Let's just stick a little bit longer with Tesla. We talked about the Bingo card yesterday in advance of earnings, and I thought, you know what, I'm just going to go full send. I'm going to play the game. This was the end result. Look how close I came.
Speaker 5: It's fun. It's also though important.
Speaker 4: Some of the things that perhaps he didn't actually mention DEI one of them that you didn't get.
Speaker 5: To cross off.
Speaker 4: He did insult and Ana, did you feel he'd insulted analyst? I know he cut off an executive, that was it. But I think overall this was an elon that lived up to a lot of the anticipation. Dana Hale, we give great cutos for that for coming up with this game, but I know it's something that themes on Reddit. What was the one that took you most by surprise that he actually.
Speaker 5: Did say.
Speaker 2: By surprise, I guess.
Speaker 1: The fed and I was stretching there because he basically said about interest rates.
Speaker 2: But yeah, a fun game. That was my real card. Check it out.
Speaker 4: It was a great game that you played along in live time. You've always got to follow ed throughout Twitter x as it currently is when he has his earnings. Mean while coming up, we'll continue our and coverage the service. Now this is really big technology.
Speaker 5: Service.
Speaker 4: Now let's talk about its own earnings. The results came after the bell yesterday and provided a revenue outlook for the current quarter, topping Wall Street estimates.
Speaker 5: In fact, they beat across the board.
Speaker 4: It's spurring optimism that the enterprise software provider will continue expanding, even as many peers have reported some slow and growth. Let's bring in service now, CFO, Gina Mauston two know for more and look, you do manage to outperform the rest of the sector, Gina. And what's notable is you say you've got one of the few offerings when it comes to AI with real product, real use cases, and real customers. Now I'm interested, is is there any cannibalization there when companies are thinking in this economic environment allocate towards technology. Does AI come an expense of anything else or is it in an addition?
Speaker 9: So great question, Caroline, Thanks so much for having me absolutely service. Now closed the year with another exceptional quarter. Revenues of twenty five and a half percent in constant currency CRPO, which is our current backlog basically twenty three percent, operating margin of twenty nine percent, all beating the high end of our guidance by about two hundred basis points, renewal rates of ninety nine percent, and large new logo growth continuing to accelerate, which is pretty remarkable. We achieved which she was super proud of. We achieved our long term goal of crossing ten billion in CACV, which only eight software companies have ever achieved in the past.
Speaker 5: And you're absolutely right.
Speaker 9: We have incredible Genai products in market, which launched just at the end of September, so our first full quarter of GENA and we basically saw the largest contribution for our first full quarter of any of our product released in our history. So Jennai is resonating with our customers. It's early days, but we're absolutely not seeing any cannibalization at this.
Speaker 1: Point, Gina, we were just playing bingo with Tesla's earnings call. If we had played bingo with your earning school, we would have had CRPO or in other words, current remaining performance obligations, and you like, really hit that number. But let's be honest. The street's looking at it and saying, why then, is the forward looking stuff so lukewarm. Why are you not more bullish about growth across the board for the rest of the year.
Speaker 9: Well, in fact, we actually raised our full year revenue guidance for the twenty twenty four to ten point five seven five billion from ten point four, so we actually raised our guidance for the full year given our results. So we are bullish on our momentum. We're excited about what twenty twenty four is going to show. But let's face it, the macro is still uncertain. So from a guide perspective, we want to be prouded in how we're thinking about things. We're seeing great demand across the board. I talked to investors yesterday. Our pipeline looks strong. Demand is there? Jeni is on the forefront of what every CEO and CFO are talking about and looking to invest in. So our platform right now is in a very strong position, and our company is in a strong position to continue to build on the momentum that you saw in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 4: It's such a game of dare I say frenemies, Gina though, because you, of course have a relationship very much intertwined with Microsoft and open Ai when doing your offerings for Jenai here of course helping Amazon with its own offerings over there a ws in terms of it's marketplace, I'm really intrigued as to how you continue to offer something separate and different in comparison to companies that almost want want to eat your lunch.
Speaker 9: Well, I think it's the strength of our platform. It's our relationship with our customers, it's our people, it's the fast time to value that our platform delivers for our customers. We are such a customer centric company, really understanding the needs of our customers, understanding the outcomes that they're trying to get and how our platform can help them deliver. We're super excited about some of the partnerships that we announced. One of them you talked about with AWS Service Now is now going to be available as a SaaS offering on the AWS marketplace. This that opens up our whole new market for US, whole new tam and it's a partnership that we're really excited about. We also announced a strategic partnership with Visa, which is a five year strategic alliance to use our Genai products to help transform payment services and it's end to end dispute resolution for all of their customers. And so excited to continue to partner.
Speaker 5: With these great companies.
Speaker 9: No one has to lose for us to win, and we will continue to.
Speaker 1: Outperform Service Now, CFO, Gina Mastonto no great to have.
Speaker 2: You on the show.
Speaker 5: Time now for talking tech.
Speaker 4: First up, for the first time ever, the iPhone has ranked as the top selling smartphone series in China Now according to IDC, Apple's device had the most shipments in the fourth quarter and overall in twenty twenty three. Now this comes amid all those concerns from investors about plummeting sales in the region. Meanwhile, sales of ASML's chip making machinery it boomed in China last year. Now this comes despite a secret agreement between the US and the Netherlands to actually curve deliveries to Beijing. Sources say, SML maintains that it didn't violate the deal. A spokesperson for the US National Security Council to claim to comment.
Speaker 5: Plus, Russia has.
Speaker 4: Apparently imported more than one billion dollars worth of advanced chips made in the US and European companies classified data obtained by Bloomberg, but it shows that half of the important semiconductors were manufactured by firms like Intel, amdst Microelectronics and others.
Speaker 2: Ed going on in the chip space.
Speaker 1: Sticking with st Micro, watching shares with its sales outlook for the current core to missing estimates assigned that weak demand for industrial chips continues. Revenue in the first quarter falling fifteen percent year on year to three point six billion dollars compared to four point one billion estimated by analysts.
Speaker 2: Stock down two tens percent.
Speaker 1: The other big story that is kind of driving markets is what's happening in video games. Microsoft shares are hired by a percentage point now you see throughout Thursday's session. Adding to those games, the story nineteen hundred or so jobs being cut from across Activision, which Microsoft acquired and Xbox.
Speaker 2: Personnel as well.
Speaker 1: And I mean, how often does this happen in the context of a big piece of M and A efficiencies.
Speaker 2: But what's the real story here. Let's go to.
Speaker 1: Bloomberg's Jason Schreier, our correspondent and all things video games. What do we know about the details?
Speaker 2: Jason?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we are facing a real chaos all across the company. I'm getting texts still right now. I'm getting texts from people saying they don't know if they're being laid off. Some people are finding out because their slack is deactivated. I'm told by a Blizzard spokesperson that everybody should find out by the end of the day if they'll have jobs or not, all nineteen hundred people. But yeah, it's just chaos over there right now.
Speaker 5: What took me by surprise.
Speaker 4: And I'm interested to you as well as some of the senior executives that are on the out, in particular the president Mike Barra, who I think previously said he wasn't for going and he was going to have to be dragged out, and as well as the chief design officer, who is actually a co founder m.
Speaker 8: M Yeah, Alan Adam.
Speaker 3: He's called a co founder technically is, but he's really the founder of Blizzard. He's the kind of guy and was for a very long time. Yeah, we're talking about a massive change over there. I think a lot of people kind of expected that mike Ybarra might be on the way out for various reasons, and I think that he kind of, let's say, he ruffled some feathers within Blizzard over the course of a couple of disastrous meetings last year and couple of decisions that people weren't thrilled about. But still it's a big surprise. Lilizar also cancelled one of their big games, a game that was code named Odyssey, is kind of a survival game. Comes as crazy timing this week, given that Power World, the kind of Pokemon with guns survival game that are selling bazillions of copies, just came out. But yeah, it's just it's really bloodier. I mean, I had been hearing rumors that layoffs might be coming to Blizzard, but even this is way bigger and bloodier than I expected.
Speaker 1: So I've been mentioning this in any big piece of m and A where a very big company joins another big company is merged into it. There are often layoffs because there's overlapping roles and they look for efficiencies, etc. But that kind of masks Jason the broader idea of what Microsoft was getting in its purchase of Activision Blizzard. Do we have any sense of how that integration is going and kind of what the focus of the projects are on the content and title side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so.
Speaker 3: We still don't know. We're trying to find out. I mean, it's been about three months since Microsoft officially took over Activision Blizzard. When it happened, a lot of people were optimistic. Bobby Kodik, the departing chief of Activision Blizzard, was not the most popular guy among the company, so people were excited to see what might happen. Microsoft is still not communicated publicly what their vision is for Activision Blizzard, for the Call It Duty franchise for Warcraft, or Diabo for all those big games.
Speaker 2: I do know that there.
Speaker 3: Are still new projects in development within Blizzard. A lot of people have been theorizing that Microsoft might just double down on the franchises that are already successful. I don't believe that is going to be the case, but yeah, we don't know. We are hearing my colleague Dina bass is hearing that a lot of the layoffs are hitting redundant departments such as marketing and other kind of departments that you would expect to be hit by an integration one of another company that does similar sorts of business.
Speaker 5: Teen hundred people is a lot, but in context just.
Speaker 4: Eight percent of Microsoft's gaming workers. Jason Schreyer fascinating. Thanks for giving us really the inside track on all of that. Meanwhile, let's go to another extraordinary scoot coming from Bloomberg, a group named China Tech Threat. It's been sounding the alarm on the threat posed by companies vulnerable to Chinese infiltration or pressure. On the top of the list, laptop maker Lenovo, for example. Here's the twist, Dell arrival of Lenovo is one of the main sponsors of that very group. Let's bring in Bloomberg's Brodie Ford, who helped bring us to attention this particular interesting turn of events. Is not just Dell that might be sponsoring this particular company, this particular group pressure group, shall we call them?
Speaker 10: It's funny so middle school I had Lenovo. I think in this building we got Lenovo.
Speaker 2: We're used to hearing.
Speaker 10: About Chinese tech anxieties. But Lenovo is not a name we're used to hearing. But this group's been walking around town telling people, you gotta get rid of these, you gotta tear them out, you gotta, you know, pass these state level bands to not use Lenovo. And again it turns out it was Dell funding it, right, and they didn't disclose that. And we see as increasing tensions between US and China happen, companies are increasingly willing to say, hey, could this be an opportunity for us? So this is kind of a nice case study in the way that the trade war has been advancing.
Speaker 1: I look at this very detailed Bloomberg BusinessWeek story, fantastic reporting and writing, Brodie, and remind myself that Lenovo is the biggest maker of personal computers and laptops in the world. What did they have to say in response to this reporting? But I guess ultimately the question is what is it that Dell and Micron want achieved in the end down the road?
Speaker 10: Yeah, as you said, Lenovo is the world's biggest maker of PC's. PC's pretty concentrated market, right, you have HP del Lenovo. Any loss for Lenovo is going to be a win for.
Speaker 2: HP and Dell.
Speaker 10: And the backstory here is that HP and Dell really had thriving, growing businesses in China, but over time they've been regulated over there. The Chinese government has sent out mandates saying you're going to have to start using less of these and so that's when Dell and also HP, but not through the front groups, said that, hey, maybe we should start applying similar pressure. And for Micron, I mean the semiconductor industry I think is maybe a better known example of US China tensions. And so the semiconductor companies China Tech Threat has talked about are more of these kind of ascendant players who would likely compete with Micron.
Speaker 5: At some point.
Speaker 4: Well, see if it does indeed garner any interest from China as to the actions, well the money being fueled by these particular companies.
Speaker 5: Really for brilliant piece of reporting. Thanks so much, Ed. What have you've got?
Speaker 1: Well, we're going to the world of cars and Porsche going electric. The car make you just unveiled its own electric macan. I caught up with timo Resh, the new president and CEO of Porsche Cars in North America, in an exclusive interview just ahead of the launch and we discover his outlook for the company is they try to tackle the EV market here in the States, have a listen.
Speaker 11: We are pretty sure that with the launch of the McCann electric and we will pretty much not be able to cope with the demand. And definitely the first year, I think there's definitely a lot of demand. A lot of people are waiting for product like this, and this comes at a stage where the Macan as we have it in the market right now with the combustional lector, the combustion engine car has its most successful year in its history as of last year, So there's high demand for the existing platform, and I think a lot of people are looking for this new latest edge technology that does everything that the McCann already has going for it, even to a higher degree. So that for that reason I feel positive about it. And then we can really see in the year twenty twenty five and upcoming what the real relationship between the ICE version and the BEV version will be. Right in the first year, I think it's just customer demand, realm what we can supply from our factory in Germany.
Speaker 1: So well exactly so, so your supply constrained, right Timo, you know that demand for the electric Macan is going to outweigh your ability to supply. When you are phoning your counterparts in Germany, how much supply are they able to guarantee you for that first year.
Speaker 11: I can't go into details of numbers, but I think we are very much driven by providing usually always just one car lest and the market is asking for. So this is what our flexibility. Also in terms of our production pipeline, having both of these cars come out of our factory and leipstick in Germany, that gives us this perfect possibility to custom tailor our supply chain to the market demands. And for that reason, I'm sure we will hit the right spot supplying enough Macan overall, and I assume in the first couple of months there will be more demand than we can supply for the McCann Beth.
Speaker 2: Who you worried about out there?
Speaker 1: Is it the cyber truck, highestpec expensive model in the first instance that goes to the high networth individual or the big spender, or are you worried about the electro electrified offerings from some of your German peers like Mercedes for example.
Speaker 11: I think in terms of design and the Peel and technology really being cutting technology. We as Porsche can usually have a lot of people that start being convinced and being excited about the Porsche brands. So we see that there will be a lot of opportunities to get the Porsche family growing, but at the same time also get existing Porsches excited for posha fans excited for the account BEV. So there's I think a lot of opportunity in the still growing a BEV market where customers will come from and start joining the Porsche family and start this experiencing what the feeling of Posh, the Posher product is all about.
Speaker 1: Timo America was critically important to Porsche in twenty twenty three, in part because China's growth was decelerating, and I think Porsche is said twenty twenty four is going to be difficult in China as well. What kind of pressure are you under to keep the growth going here in the United States North America? More broadly, what a key market like China is slowing down?
Speaker 11: Being responsible for the North American market, I would like to focus on these topics, But if you see the overall balance of distribution of sales of Porsche, I think the Porsche brand is perfectly balanced in terms of its international distribution of sales. So this is a really, let'd say, great time to see that there is not such a huge dependency on the Chinese market as it might be for some other brands, and we see the brand being in a very good position. I think we have high desirability. You can see that in all different kinds of stud and for that reason, I also see good possibility to continue on this growth pattern of sustainable growth also hind in saints on the North American market, but also people I think, driven by customer demand, continue the success story.
Speaker 1: Timo resh portion North America President CEO Caro on a car that's long delayed.
Speaker 2: Everyone's excited about. It's good looking as well.
Speaker 5: She's pretty, I got to say. Meanwhile, coming up, look, we're going to sit down with the CEO of Fearless Fund ed as as she prepares.
Speaker 4: To go back to court to fight a discrimination lawsuit against the venture fund for its grant program to black female founders. Getting into it. It's a Broomberg technology Atlanta based venture capital firm.
Speaker 5: Fearless Fund and.
Speaker 4: Invests in businesses owned by women of color, and it's being sued over a grant program for black women entrepreneurs by the American Alliance for Equal Rights. Now that's a group run by Ever Bloom is a conservative activist who challenged affirmative action in higher education.
Speaker 5: An he won.
Speaker 4: The case is headed back to the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals next Wednesday, and joining us to discuss the implications this has for hervec for equity more broadly in venture And please are welcome Arion Simone, the CEO of Fearless Fund. And well, you go back to the Eleventh US Circuit Court of Appeals because it's your striver's grant contest that seems to be being focused on twenty thousand dollars grants, and just remind us go back why they take issue with allocation of money.
Speaker 12: We're being sued for alleged discrimination according to the nineteen eighty one section of the Civil Rights Act of eighteen sixty six, which is a law that was put in place for nan wides to enter into contracts. They are saying that we are discriminating according to that law.
Speaker 4: Your argument is these aren't contracts, these are grants. But more broadly, what sort of cooling effect do you think this has had on allocation of money to diverse founders when already, what is it, less just over one percent of all venture money was allocated to women of color last year.
Speaker 5: I mean even less than that.
Speaker 12: Actually it was less than that. Only a fraction of a percent last year, zero point thirty nine percent was allocated to women of color. The cooling effect that is taking place is basically the spirit of fear. People have been scared to deploy and uphold their diversity initiatives. The government has slowed down on minority grants. The eight A program even had to pause, and the cooling effect has been I got to say, very broad, it's very long reaching, the impact that this court case is having without people even being sued.
Speaker 1: Arian, thank you for joining us on Bloomberg Technology. There's a pathway for the litigation potentially to go to the Supreme Court, and I understand that their legal and cost considerations for you in the firm if that happens. But given this sort of the ultimate goals of Fearless Fund trying to support and give capital, access to capital to women of color, how do you view the opportunity to go to the Supreme Court or on the fundamental issue that's being discussed here.
Speaker 12: Ed Well I view, I'm glad you're stating it as an opportunity. It will be an opportunity to bring more awareness.
Speaker 5: To these disparities.
Speaker 12: It is unfortunate that anybody would have to go to the Supreme Court to defend themselves for the right to basically target a disparity that we're targeting. But I'm glad you definitely stated it as an opportunity.
Speaker 5: I think it's an opportunity.
Speaker 12: For people to realize we need more legislation that protects our access to capital.
Speaker 4: At any point, have you been asked to play or understand the devil's advocate side of the equation that you allocating money to only women of color is in some way well discriminate against the women of who want of college, who would love to come to you for some money.
Speaker 12: Caroline, I will say it here and I've said it before. I actually desire the same thing as Ed Bloom, a world where race doesn't matter.
Speaker 5: We have just yet to get there.
Speaker 4: I'm interested in the yet to get their part, and ultimately how much you need not just you, your voice and those that are supporting you, but what about corporate America. More broadly, your fund has been backed and in fact got follow on funding just in June from Bank of America, Costco, MasterCard. Are they speaking out for you as much as you'd like to see?
Speaker 12: I would like to see more. I would like to see a lot more corporate support. Clearly, if you believe in this vision and you've invested your capital into what we do, your dollars have spoken.
Speaker 5: But we do need your voice.
Speaker 12: So we would love for the CEOs of the corporations that have invested in us to take a stay in publicly.
Speaker 4: Correct, Have they in any way signaled they wouldn't be willing to commit capital in the future.
Speaker 12: They haven't signaled that they're willing they wouldn't be willing to commit capital in the future. But right now we are in basically the hotspot. Everybody can see us, and we do need their voice in addition to the capital.
Speaker 5: I go back to, actually, what it is your funding here?
Speaker 4: The people that are building businesses, what problems are they solving, What innovations are you seeing what entrepreneurs are making and turning your head.
Speaker 12: Oh my gosh, our entrepreneurs are amazing. They're on the cover of Ink, They're on the Ink List, They're on the Forbes List, They're on everywhere we invest in technology as well as we invest in CpG. The problems they are solving, the disparities they are meeting, the food as they're going into are far long reaching. You're talking about women of color. They're social impact isn't bred in the fabric of their business in who they are, so from fintech, from any type of ad tech to oh my god, So this goes on and on to so many products that are solving amazing problems. It's like picking a favorite child if I would have had like one. But we have about ten girls right now that we've invested in. They're all in heavy eight figure revenue and they are growing by leaps and bounds.
Speaker 4: But access to capital still remains, in theory, far more tight and slim than it is for other types of founders. Aaron Simone, thank you for coming on and spending time with us while in New York. Fill us fun CEO as she heads back to Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Okay, she and Becker's are trying to sell shares that place the value of the online fashion company as low as forty five billion. This is she in confronts mounting competition and regulatory scrutiny ahead of a much awaited debut in the United States. Boombers Crystal Z joins US with more. This is interesting. Go back to May a primary round where they valued at sixty six billion. Usually ahead of an IPO, you try and get in because you're excited. But what we're hearing is that private market deals are valuing the company lower.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 13: Our colleagues in Hong Kong is reporting that the private valuation, some of these are minority trades, evaluing the company as slow as forty five.
Speaker 5: Forty five billion.
Speaker 13: At a point they were valued at one hundred billion, So it's a significant decrease, and I think part of it is probably to do with that the IPO prospect is looking a little bit more dim than it used to. We have seen reports that the company is now subject to regulatory scrutiny, not only in China but also in the US, So that could make investor a little bit more jittery about the prospect of this company's public life.
Speaker 4: They were going to talk it up to ninety billion dollars in that IPO, so the fact that they're seeing in half of that in secondary market, albeit before the turn of this year. More broadly, put it in the context of a company that's trying to distance itself from China but still manufactures in China, it's headquarters being in Singapore. But we're very worried about the Chinese economy right now. Is that in any way filtering through more broadly tech stocks E and under pressure.
Speaker 13: So they actually do not sell in China. They do not generate revenue per se in China. They do manufacture there, they also generate use They also gather user data from the internet, and that is why the Chinese regulators are now looking at this company and be looking at economy just globally. You do see some softness in the US and the majority of the revenue do. They do focus in the US market quite a bit, selling you know, crop top five dollars, crop top to teenager, and that's the kind of spending that would soften in a market where you know, translation could go up and economic prospect is not so not.
Speaker 5: So bright anymore. Christ to say, thank you for breaking it down for us.
Speaker 4: It is a very popularly right story across the internet at the moment.
Speaker 5: We thank you for it. Meanwhile, that does it for this edition of Blue Med Technology,