Speaker 1: Welcome into Raven's press pass. Today we'll hear from the specialists. That's kicker Justin Tucker, punter Jordan's Stout, new long snapper Tyler Ott, and special teams coach Randy Brown. Let's start with the goat kicker, Justin Tucker.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, how are y'all doing? All right?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: Jerry Rosberg was here, uh this last week, so in his spirit, I should say fire when ready?
Speaker 5: Do you have any stories about Chef the dog he Do you ever tell you about that one? What is Chef My Dogs by Jerry?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: But for Youandy, does I have any feel like? I know it doesn't plug field this way, but being the longest tenured guy here, man, I mean, is that something you recognize and doesn't feel different?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 4: You know, it's kind of yes and no, And in a lot of ways, I feel like I've I've been here for a while. I like you said, I'm the most tenured guy on the team, But I still come in with the same attitude that I had my rookie year, where I'm just trying to take it one kick at a time and get better each and every day just a little bit, and keep the main things the main things.
Speaker 6: You know, I've said this.
Speaker 2: Before, the the.
Speaker 4: The idea of focusing on the action and not the consequence, and not just in a given kick, but a given day, a given week, a given year.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: Just you know, being where my feed are has been a focus of mine for a while now. So yeah, I feel like the most tenured guy on the team, and I'll just take that as I have experience in a lot of different environments that different stadiums, field conditions, personnel.
Speaker 2: Whoa jeez, I'm just happy to be here.
Speaker 4: But at the exact same time, I feel like a rookie and I'm I'm just getting started.
Speaker 2: Just like I said, you're you're.
Speaker 8: A happy guy that they were able to find Tyler to stuck in for Nick. Can you kind of expect what he's done to fit into that detailed machine?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Those first of all, continuing to think about Nick and what he's going through. You know, Nick's our boy, and it's it's tough to you know, see somebody that uh not. You know, we don't just work closely together, you know, we're good friends. So to see what you know he's going through and to to hear hear from him, and you know know that he's got, as of right now, a pretty long road ahead. Uh that's a tough deal. So we're definitely thinking about him. But uh, you know, at the same time, as it always has been and will be in this business, it's there. You know, you got to buy into the next man up mentality, And for us, we're really lucky that Tyler was available. I don't keep tabs on who the free agent or rookie long snappers are out there, but the fact that Tyler was available, we were able to bring him in and sign him. Tyler's don an excellent job in this first wave of camp, and we we had every expectation that he would be doing a great job. I mean, he's a former Pro Bowl caliber long snapper and a current Pro Bowl caliber long snapper, and we we would all say the same thing. We got great people around us, starting with Chris Randy TJ. Sam Cook coaching us all up. You know, I've said this before, I'm a system kicker and the ball kicks itself, but it applies to all of the positions in the specialist world. The long snapper, the holder, the punter. We're all part of intricate, detailed, well thought out system that if we just buy into what we're being coached to do, we will have success, and Tyler's doing a great job of that so far. Kind of a nod kicking question for yet, how big is it kind of scheem to have a shot based out there.
Speaker 2: I'm a field the guy.
Speaker 4: It's great to see with Shod working. Obviously, I'm not the head coach, and I can't comment on injuries because I'd like to think in my you know, my senior years here that I'm I'm a little wiser than that. But I will say it's really good to see him out there. It's good to see Patrick Card out there work as well, running around, you know, not just as teammates but friends, you know, seeing them back on the field and seeing them, you know, get to work and doing what makes them happy.
Speaker 2: That's uh, you know, that's that's that's good for all of us.
Speaker 9: Yes, you've got one of the top kickers in the lead for a while down how do you keep it fresh?
Speaker 3: But bullet mate to come in here and try to somehow getting better than the.
Speaker 4: Already Yeah all right, So last year around this time, harbes Uh kind of challenged us to post on the board and the like the bulletin board in the locker room, like first thing you see when you walk in, put a picture up or maybe a phrase or a saying of what's your why? You know, a lot of guys put up a picture of their family, or a lot of guys put up a picture of like a Lombardi trophy, and you know you ask, like, essentially, like, what's kind of keeping me motivated? I think for all of us are why? Is a collective yearn for that championship experience and bringing that to a town that deserves a championship unlike any other. And at the same time, you know, our whis don't just stop there my why? It might be something different every single day.
Speaker 6: It might be.
Speaker 4: You know, cementing ourselves as the most elite kicking battery that's ever stepped foot onto a football field. And then the next day it might just be you know, getting a chance to see the guys and sit around the breakfast table or the launch table in the cafeteria and have a good conversation. But the way we get to elevate all of those experiences and share them together is by working our tails off, taking it a day at a time and ultimately hoisting the Lombardi at the end of the year. And I think that's what we're all that, you know, that's what we're all working toward, and that's what we got our eye.
Speaker 8: On the process that care in that process. That's sure.
Speaker 4: That's a great question. I'm not going to answer it fully because I don't want to give away trade secrets. But the way we operate as a field goal kicking unit, uh, we emphasize being aggressive and intentional in everything that we do, starting with the snapper. So for me, if I can see and feel the confidence of our long snapper before the you know, before he even put you know, gets in his stance and puts his hands on the ball, and as Jordan is getting set up, I can just feel that we're gonna make this kick. It all starts with what we do out here on the practice field. The intricate little details that I'm not necessarily going to get fully into, but knowing that we work day in and day out on those things, it kind of helps, you know, the whole process becomes streamlined toward our main our main goal, and that's just making kicks.
Speaker 2: Four years for years, the specialist Creto, the ball wolf back. Last year we've played around with fuld back two point home.
Speaker 4: What would you like to call this group on the air of this year? We haven't really thought about it too much. I think, you know, check in with me. Maybe next week I'll I'll have an answer for you, or maybe not. I don't really know. I'm less worried about that, more worried about just smashing kicks. So well, we'll go that right, Watch out for that spider right there.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 9: You got.
Speaker 1: Next up you'll hear from punter Jordan Stout as he enters his second season.
Speaker 2: I thought this year was pick novack camp. That's last year. You know, I've been doing that process for you.
Speaker 10: Yeah, something I really like to do in the off season is get around as many other punters as I can to see where I'm at.
Speaker 2: So it was great though.
Speaker 4: Talking about you.
Speaker 11: I did last year at this time, there's a lot of tears that how much better.
Speaker 2: Was starting your aspect.
Speaker 10: I'm not going to do my own horn, and I won't much. I'm pretty humble, but I'm a really good holder.
Speaker 2: And you know Sam Sam Sam was great.
Speaker 12: He taught me a lot.
Speaker 6: Randy as well. So it's been great that.
Speaker 10: No, I don't know if that helped as much as just taking a little break and then coming back and I was just way better. Somehow, must have taken a lot of creatine.
Speaker 8: Randy says that.
Speaker 11: He thinks Hunter takes the biggest three between the season one and the season two.
Speaker 5: Do you do you.
Speaker 2: Do you see that coming? And where do you think we'll see the well?
Speaker 10: As a punter, I think what we do is all about confidence, and I think my confidence last year was lacking. And I feel like I'm extremely confident now because you know, talking about one of those camps in the off season, and I went and I did really well, and I confidence comes from preparation, and I prepared my butt off, so I think it will.
Speaker 3: Why did you Why do you think you slacking next year?
Speaker 10: I think it's just a new thing. You know, in college, I was doing phil goals, kickoffs and punts. You know, if I had a bad punt in a game, I wasn't gonna dwell on it because I was gonna have a field goal the next drive. So now only focusing on punting. It's like if I have a bad punt in the past, it would affect me and you know, I just have to have a one kick mentality and go out on the next and hit a good balls.
Speaker 8: A new staffer, Nick.
Speaker 10: Well, it sucks it Nicks out because we love Nick. Nick's a great snapper. But Tyler picked up right where he left off and he's doing an incredible job. He's he's a good guy and he's he's a great snapper, so we're happy to have him.
Speaker 12: Good Jordan, your guys are I know you're former DNY Lyons.
Speaker 4: No official AP pole yet, but the coaches pull at at state at number seven. If you talked to any former teammates, anybody out there.
Speaker 10: I have not talked to him yet, but I think I think we're gonna make a national championship run this year. That team is stacked so excited for that. Well, you're on that national championship gro Yeah for me?
Speaker 12: You already here first. Now we'll hear from new long snapper Tyler.
Speaker 2: How's it going Tyler Rott long snapper?
Speaker 1: Can you talk about how you ended up laying here and what the process of change?
Speaker 7: Sure?
Speaker 11: Yeah, My contract last year with the Seahawks expired after I was hurt for the whole season, and really I got cleared in like January, mid January from my injury, and from that point on it was just you know, training like usual, waiting for you know, a call from whoever it was. And and I didn't think it was gonna take as long as it did, obviously or honestly. And I was actually at we were hosting my son's third birthday party when my agent called and said, hey, we got your call. You're going down to Baltimore in like two days. I was like, all right, well, let me finish this birthday party and cut the cake and then I'll pack up and start driving. But I was really I was really planning on being somewhere, regardless of where it was, it didn't really matter.
Speaker 2: At that point. I knew I was ready, I knew I was.
Speaker 11: Healthy, and now once I got the call to come here, it was obviously I knew what kind of system, as has Tuck alluded to, I was stepping into, and the excellence that they expect and have come to expect and have experienced.
Speaker 2: And and I.
Speaker 11: Knew coming in that my job was to make that system run perfectly.
Speaker 2: And it's always been my goal as a snapper since day one.
Speaker 11: Anyways, Yeah, my goal is to come in and make Jordan's job as easy as possible, so that Justin's job is as easy as possible. And that's that's the whole goal of a snapper is just they don't hopefully they don't have to really do anything but put the ball down and then kick it.
Speaker 9: Back to.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 11: I might be one of the rare ones that started in Little league. I actually used to kick. I used to toe kick, and then one of my best friends in fifth grade was a soccer player, and he came over and started kicking field goals for us, and my only way to stay involved was I said, Hey, I'll try snapping.
Speaker 2: I was playing other positions.
Speaker 11: I played tight end through high school and through college, and uh snapped through high school and in college, but probably never really thought about snapping being the route to the NFL until senior year of college.
Speaker 2: I was lucky in high school.
Speaker 11: I had a coach, Carl Johnson, that he had coached special teams and snappers at the University of Houston before he was our high school coach, and he actually knew the fundamentals of snapping, and so that was where my foundation was laid. And from there it was all for the most part self taught and tinkering and figuring out what works and a benefit and I guess maybe a benefit looking back in hindsight is that when I was playing tight end in college and snapping, I never had time to think about snapping. So I think that just instilled the confidence that I carried to this day in snapping that I never got to warm up on the sideline before a kick or for a punt. I just went out there and ripped it back there and didn't think anything of it. So obviously I put more thought into it now, But I think it's just it's been a ability that I've had that I didn't really take full appreciation of until I knew I could make it as a snapper in the NFL.
Speaker 2: I kind of the long snappers an for the trips.
Speaker 8: Didn't do any of that stuff and snapping in the.
Speaker 3: Meeting car or anything.
Speaker 11: No, I never wanted to break any windows.
Speaker 2: You know, that's stuff cool. It's never been I'm not.
Speaker 11: I mean, if you if you look at my social media, I'm not posting a lot of stuff.
Speaker 2: It's just not my personality to be really out there.
Speaker 11: So you know, I'm not gonna say I haven't tried to snap into a trash can or something every now and then, but hit the crossbar maybe, But I find that a lot of times that actually might hurt your snapping ability the job you're trying to do when you start messing around with that stuff, even though it might be cool. But I'm here to snap, I guess so.
Speaker 6: For a long time.
Speaker 11: On the shoulder injury in the Coppers.
Speaker 6: Now back to houses, how.
Speaker 2: Hit the colt was that was coming back and had, Well, yeah, it is tough.
Speaker 11: I think a lot of you know, I don't know what happened with you know, the end of my tenure in Seattle, but I think a lot of a lot of coaches and front office and medical might see that as like a death sentence for a snapper. But you know, I saw a great surge and I had a great team of athletic trainers.
Speaker 2: I was back.
Speaker 11: Quicker than expected and stronger, and I honestly felt coming off of a year of missing a full season, as bad as that is, I had a full season first time since you know, seventh grade, a full year to recover and be healthy and be strong and be ready for this next stint of however, long it's going to be here or the next team, whatever it's going to be. And I realized that which was that was the toughest part about being hurt last year was not the physical part of it.
Speaker 2: It was the mental part.
Speaker 11: Understanding that I got my job in Seattle six years ago when I filled in for a hurt snapper, so I knew exactly what was at risk, and I didn't think it was going to happen.
Speaker 2: I did my best where it wasn't going to.
Speaker 11: But it's the way the cards were dealt, and I'm here now to make the most of this, to make the run with these guys and do everything we can to be the best unit in the NFL.
Speaker 12: Next up, defensive tackle Broderick Washington.
Speaker 6: Appreciate it. Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Mans around your.
Speaker 6: Ends, Uh one.
Speaker 7: I was very excited, man, I'm just blessed to even be in the position.
Speaker 6: I'm glad my mom wasn't here.
Speaker 7: I would have cried, and you know, I kind of supposedly a tough guy here, so you know that wouldn't have looked good on me.
Speaker 6: But yeah, man, I'm just excited. I'm feel with emotion.
Speaker 7: I'm happy to be able to call I'm happy to be able to be home for the next three years, man, and I'm glad it's here. I don't have to go anywhere different. I don't have to learn a new scheme. I know everything already. I'm comfortable, and I'm just really excited for the opportunity to grow each and every year.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 7: Uh, no, not at all, But I mean it's a blessing to be in this position. All I did was just kept my head down and just worked really and Coach Harb's during our tas like he kind of he kind of mentioned it, but you know, I didn't wanna let it get to my head because at the end of the day, I'm still trying to get better and I haven't even I barely scratched the surface of what I could really be. And I just look forward to the opportunity to be able to do that here. And I just blessed.
Speaker 8: Whatever to get your money season happened, and I.
Speaker 10: Want to think that.
Speaker 7: I mean, for me personally, I didn't want My whole thing was just getting better every day. I really didn't think about it because there's more there's a lot of guys that's in my class that's more deserving, I feel like, but like I said, I'm blessed to be in this position and I'm super excited to be able to call the Baltimore Ravens home for the next few years.
Speaker 11: Robert, what did it mean to be able to kind of celebrate with your guys at midfield after practice?
Speaker 6: It seemed like they were all pretty fired.
Speaker 10: Up for you to get the deal.
Speaker 6: Don Uh.
Speaker 7: It was a great feeling because normally, like I kind of just stayed to myself in the in the building, and like I speak to everybody and stuff like that. But just to see those guys embrace me the way they did, it meant a lot.
Speaker 6: And shoot, I was just I was just feeled with happiness. Honestly, when the coaches talk.
Speaker 9: About you, they say, so this guy's he's every time he comes back to the ability, he's better than he wanted.
Speaker 10: To listening when he left the experience coming into this season.
Speaker 8: Is there a specific thing you wanted to work on?
Speaker 5: I mean, how are you better now of yew Worth there?
Speaker 7: If I had to point out one thing, I would just say, it's my confidence in myself.
Speaker 6: Like I'm a pretty confident guy, but and for some reason, like yeah, I.
Speaker 7: It's honestly hard to really put anything on it. But coming into the season and during the off season, my thing was working on past rush because without Calais, you know, there's a lot of past or snaps up for grabs, and I'm trying to be one of the guys that gets some getting some of them. So my main focus was just passed rush over the all season. Yeah, yeah, whynot. I'd be a fool not to, you know. But yeah, and Chuck. Every day he got something for the guys in the pastor's department, and I mean he's been a great help for everybody, for the whole room. Honestly, he makes us better as a unit, and we're gonna continue to grow with him. I think.
Speaker 2: In Washington here we don't.
Speaker 1: Have to talk about where that.
Speaker 6: Uh. For me, it's from my mom.
Speaker 7: I grew up in a single parent home for the most part, and shoot, I watched my mom grind through everything by herself. So I come in and I don't I don't allow myself to have excuses. You know, my faith in God is really really high, so I know that if I remain faithful and continue to work, He's gonna bless me and.
Speaker 6: Shoot, he'll just continue to bless me. You know. So I don't care about any time limits.
Speaker 7: I don't care how long it takes, as long as I can play football and be out here or I'm gonna work and I'm gonna get better each and every day.
Speaker 8: Earlier you said, uh, you barely scratched the surface.
Speaker 3: Right, So like entry this year with this with this deal already done, you know where do you feel right twenty twenty.
Speaker 5: Three, you're gonna make the biggest stripes? Can you already feel yourself kind of heading in a certain direction where you're gonna get better your game coming into this season?
Speaker 6: To be honest, it's not really.
Speaker 7: I just take it day by day and you know, just continue to work on the small things and you know, see where we fall when this season is in.
Speaker 6: You know your mom and you coming up and how you know single parent home.
Speaker 3: What was that conversation strike after.
Speaker 5: You were able to get the deal done or if if you can talk to your family yet moving back the.
Speaker 7: Conversation like with you back nits ear Yeah, to be honest, I haven't really had that conversation yet because I know my mom's gonna be out here this week for the game, so I know that'll be an emotional time, and you know, I look forward to it. I've been trying to hold hold back the emotion just for her because that's who I really want to share a moment with. I want to share it with my whole family, but my mom.
Speaker 6: She's been with me through it all.
Speaker 7: I always had my back, and shoot, I just can't wait to just embrace her and have that moment with her. Oh one more thing, I want to shout out the guys upstairs for having faith in me and believing in me to even put me in this position, and thank you all for being here today.
Speaker 12: And last but not least, special teams coach Randy Brown.
Speaker 9: I never want to forget about how we got here, and that is the Ravens family.
Speaker 3: You guys know, I've been here sixteen years and.
Speaker 9: What the Ravens family has allowed us to do is my son's been here for eighty plus games, years of practices. My Ryan's done six seven games too, and it's just the family. That's the family atmosphere here with Steve and works this way down with Eric and John and it's it's amazing and I'm blessed that that this weekend's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: So questions.
Speaker 8: You worked and he puts her into the unit last year to be working like a whole interview.
Speaker 2: What was that great.
Speaker 8: Detail about how quickly just.
Speaker 9: So you're talking Tyler Tyler the new long snapper, So I think we go back just a little bit. And great credit to George Kaknas and Darius and the personnel personnel group.
Speaker 3: When we first heard that Nick was hurt.
Speaker 9: Uh, we went through seventy long snappers that were available, and you know, I've got my list, George got has his list, and we're really fortunate for Tyler's out there. You know, a guy's played eighty five games Harvard grad, really good long snapper, pro bowler. So we're fortunate that Tyler was there for us, and he's fitting in really really well, and we're blessed that we have it.
Speaker 3: And Justin's happy every day, which makes me happy.
Speaker 5: Okay, when you're he worked with Justin obviously able to know his act wades and we're going lads for times like this in the spring and then summer, what do you work on because a lot of people go with a second Justin couples ad, what does he need to.
Speaker 2: Work on because those that you think that is so.
Speaker 3: I always talk about Justin as not only.
Speaker 9: Did we start together all these years, nobody has seen him kick every kick like I've seen him kick. So the great part about Justin is he always wants to get better Jamison, And there will be times on field three that it's just not going the way he wants it, you know, and will say to me or say to Sam, hey are you saying anything or what are you saying? And he's always open because he gets better every day, wants to get better every day, and we have a great relationship and we watch film.
Speaker 3: We watch film every day. And that's the thing.
Speaker 9: It's you know, you think a guy like him, you know, he just comes to work. Well, he comes to work and he works and we watch film every day.
Speaker 3: We work on field three every day. It's he gets better every day.
Speaker 9: And if femus is a sixty five yarder, he's pissed in practice, which we know we see the biggest stretch from I've always believed this is my thirty second year coaching football, twentieth in the NFL, and that jump for specialist from year one to year two is usually the biggest why because in college they're asked to do punts, kickoffs, field goals, so they really can't sharpen their craft on just one thing. So you come here and and now you create a system of practice where you can do the repetition over and over again.
Speaker 3: His practice is great. But this is why I like about Jordan, and the dude smiles all the time. He's happy.
Speaker 9: He really likes to get better, and he comes to work with me and Sam Cook every day and he's a sponge for information. And what I if you really look at what Jordan his holding is tremendous, best holder in the NFL. Right now, Okay, you watch watch him on the field. Ball gets down fast, all right, He's outstanding. So I think the punting will continue to increase his abilities to put ball the balls inside the ten, all right, and get good turnover balls.
Speaker 3: So we love the progress that he's making.
Speaker 11: When you, guys, Jordan, we're office talked about just how mean some of those punts that are here before you saw it feel a whole lot.
Speaker 2: And here was I just kind of trying to bottle the backs. He tried to get better that very.
Speaker 6: Actually the ball play the part.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so you know in college it was just he could kick it as far as he could, right, And here, as you know, we're a directional punting team. Uh. But in practice every day he's hitting five oh's, five to two s, five threes. But as you know, we pride ourselves in coverage, and we've pride ourselves of the punting knowing where the ball ball is going to be. And and as to me, as he gets older and more mature, he gets more relaxed.
Speaker 3: All right, he continues to get up and through the ball. So you're going to see some of them. You'll see some of them probably on Saturday night.
Speaker 8: So again, if we heard about Michael Felts all the lats he takes in the point, is there a limit to that other kicks per day you want Justin take?
Speaker 3: That's a real good question.
Speaker 9: So it's what I want and what Justin won. So there's two separate things, right. Yeah, we know each other now, and you know he kicks three or four days a week, and he knows when he's had enough. But you know, it can range anywhere between thirty kicks one day and sixty kicks another.
Speaker 3: It depends what the day of the week do we have a game that day.
Speaker 6: So is there any.
Speaker 5: Technique wise things that he changes even from like last year or this year anything like, or does he try to maintain pretty much the same technique.
Speaker 9: As if you remember in his sixty minutes interview he talked about hitting the ball in the sweet spot, which is one inch blow the middle of the football. He makes sure he hits every kick at that sweet spot over and over and over again. So there was there's never a rehashing or retooling of the technique. You know what I mean, it's let me hit that ball on the same spot every time.
Speaker 3: And that's what he does, and he does so.
Speaker 5: Well, and they can get, you know, over and older. Sometimes you don't become a point with the leg strength and everything you've never ever talked about just because it seems like you he good. Does there become a point where he does have to kind of you know.
Speaker 3: One comes the best, Like Justin.
Speaker 9: They're talking about your leg strength here and I said, you got strongest leg in the National Football League.
Speaker 3: There we go.
Speaker 9: Any other questions about Justin's leg strength's your son?
Speaker 10: Has there been any competitive trash happy but you know, has there been a competitive channer?
Speaker 9: So when the When the schedule for preseason schedule came out, it was a little family chatter back and forth, but I'm really proud of what Tyler has done as assistant special teams coach there. It's pre season, so I expect our guys will play hard and his guys will play hard, and I know he's going to get his guys ready to play.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 9: But I'm just proud that my son's coaching the National Football League and and and went to the Super Bowl last year.
Speaker 3: So I just want to mention this with a heavy heart.
Speaker 9: Last Thursday, early morning, my son's eighteen year old brother passed away suddenly. I want to express to the family, to Ann and Bill, mom and dad, and to Tyler and to his other brother Danny, sincere condolences from the Ravens family. It's been really really challenging five days for the family. And I just have to also say the support and the Phildelph Eagles have given ty I learned and my family it's been amazing for just such an unspeakable tragic event that happened in our family. So it's with a heavy heart, but thank you for all the love and support that we've received. Not just here in the organization but outside.
Speaker 12: Thank you for listening to Raven's press past.
Speaker 1: Make sure you subscribe, rate and review it, and if you haven't done so already, check out the Lounge podcast with myself, Ryan Mink and Garrett Downing. This week we had Nelson Agalore on the podcast and reacted to all the news going on in training camps. To make sure you check that out as well, and we'll be back with you tomorrow