Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Mick shot streaming live on dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: Nice and cool here inside the SWBC podcast studio. You can tell Everson's back because you can't see me see checks.
Speaker 4: That's a go go, there you go, and here we go.
Speaker 3: Here we go the Cowboys getting set for the Baltimore Ravens. And Mickey tell me why there are no football players on the football field here at the Star in Frisco An. It's a heavy work day.
Speaker 5: What are we doing because the foot ball field is hot. It's hot, and they're going indoors. The heat index is supposed to get close to one hundred today.
Speaker 4: The official temperature bill is ninety seven for the high today, not right now, but for the high today.
Speaker 3: The high is ninety seven. But they're on the field now. Now there are quarterbacks in the center. I will say this, the quarterbacks and the centers did brave the elements to come outside. Quarterback getting at the beginning of the practice. But everyone else is indoors inside Ford Center.
Speaker 5: So do you realize when they practice outside that is inside.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right, yeah, okay, yeah, But taping the Mike McCarthy show an hour ago, he said, it's certainly not his idea to be practicing inside, but he's gotten or from the medical staff that it would be a good idea to take him inside because of the heat.
Speaker 4: Maybe, So what what what would be the purpose? I'll say, Oh, I practice outside?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 3: Maybe because he says it's safer, It's safer on the grass.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, okay, I thought he.
Speaker 3: Said no, But he he doesn't care whether it's cold, hot, whatever. He wants to be outside unless it's you know, like high wind or something like that where you can't get anything done.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be nice, and it's gonna be nice and cool into a Sunday today.
Speaker 3: But it's a safety thing more than anything.
Speaker 5: Today is the main practice. They're in pasts, And maybe he didn't want like fifty eyeballs watching his practice too.
Speaker 3: By the way, well he didn't say that to me.
Speaker 5: Well off the record, I said it.
Speaker 3: Didn't say it to me either, Okay, if I was he didn't want the fifty media eyeballs. No, look, no, non, not like the ones that can watch outside from wherever. Yeah, that's right, yeah, the building on the other side of the practice field even, yes, okay, so that means, uh, we're.
Speaker 5: That's me.
Speaker 3: You would never practice outside, No.
Speaker 5: I certainly you wouldn't. I like secrets. Well, can you tell me what happened out at the old practice field when you're the Redskins.
Speaker 4: But it's a little different now. I mean you don't have a days in sitting behind it.
Speaker 5: The days in was only two stories. That thing's twenty story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you only had a ten foot ten whatever the hell you want to call that fence.
Speaker 4: I mean you got to watch yeah, yeah, yeah, I had to stand on top of the car.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You didn't have to stand on the hood. You could just stand on the Yeah, not the top of the car. You could just stand on the hood. You didn't have to stand on the top of the car. The hood was enough. Let's not compare that old.
Speaker 2: Anything, even though withhold dear memories.
Speaker 4: Let's not compare that place to what we're talking about right now. I mean leaps and bounds away from where we were.
Speaker 2: Just God, okay, what.
Speaker 3: Would be your preference today, if you're a player today, would you rather be out there on the field practicing in what is right now ninety degrees or would you rather be indoors at fort Center on the turf.
Speaker 2: I'd rather be indoors.
Speaker 4: Okay, turf not so great about that, but yeah, I'd definitely rather be indoors with this heat. With this heat, I recall when Tom used to kill us on that old practice field, we lifting weights outdoors with no cover in the summer.
Speaker 2: Barefoot too. Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know when you compare that to how the forty nine ers at that time nineteen eighty, their practices were just like what you're having right now. Bill Walsh did not run his players to death. I recall that because at that time they were our major rivals of the eighties. Bill Walsh's practices were just the way these are right now. He was already ahead of the game in regards to resting his players and not overworking them. And of course you see how that turned out for them. Throughout the entire eighties.
Speaker 5: It was like play practice.
Speaker 4: They barely had full I don't recall them after training camp having a full pad workout.
Speaker 2: Most of the time they had showlder pads and.
Speaker 3: Shorts regular season workout, regular season, and at that time we were training camp.
Speaker 2: It was more full pad, but still it wasn't there.
Speaker 3: And then you were playing preseason games and play and the starters actually playing playing.
Speaker 4: Well, they would still be a little stingy with it. They give us a quarter, yeah, yeah, give us a quarter. So they were smart in that regard. I mean, it was one.
Speaker 2: Hundred and twenty five degrees Texas Stadium at night.
Speaker 3: But that's part of what we're dealing with when we're talking about September football. This is an extension of training camp basically, and because the starters aren't doing anything in you know, as far as tackling or anything.
Speaker 4: In the eighties, it was extended and we were still in full pads in full practice. It was still over one hundred degrees in September and we were still outdoors. Well we had no choice actually, because that's the only feel we had. And once again, the teams, like the Niners, who had coaches that were a little bit more sensical, they were they were happy to protect their players from themselves.
Speaker 3: They probably gave them water too, They probably.
Speaker 5: Not two ice tubes like we got in high.
Speaker 2: School or no one at all in high school.
Speaker 5: Right, wrestling practice that the coach would stand and we didn't have to run indoors. Right, it was cold, so we ran in the hallways and he would hide into I've done that done.
Speaker 3: There's a YouTube video of Vicky at wrestling practice.
Speaker 5: He would hide in doorways to the classrooms that were next to the outdoor the hallway fountains to make sure no one stopped to get any water. Wow, what are you talking about.
Speaker 3: No, I'm just I'm just picturing you. Just picturing you in high school at wrestling practice at.
Speaker 5: One hundred and twelve pounds. I bet I could take you down.
Speaker 2: I'll be good to angry child.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, don't you know it?
Speaker 5: With our little headsets on, so keep from califlowers.
Speaker 3: So yeah, you are those same helmets on the football field as there.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah there, No, that was level Oh man, that was leather. All right.
Speaker 3: Well, Mike McCarthy just had a press conference and we need to get to the news of what's going on here.
Speaker 5: So I got a bunch of guys and.
Speaker 3: What happened to ever since yesterday is Jordan Phillips went on injured reserve and they signed Carlos Watkins off the Washington practice squad to help shore up this.
Speaker 5: With a wrist injury. He's saying, I'm okay.
Speaker 2: So who's got the wrist injury?
Speaker 5: Phillips?
Speaker 2: Is that is that all it is?
Speaker 3: He's got a risk. Yeah, John's reserved with a wrist injury. He had a fractured wrist at the end of last year. I believe that surgery the same.
Speaker 5: And so, yeah, you gotta be careful when you're getting pushed backwards.
Speaker 4: Why do you keep blaming your defensive lineman for this this last fiasco.
Speaker 5: Because they were playing five yards beyond the line of scrimmage instead of over.
Speaker 4: I have to have to admit I saw some isolations the other day. I saw people getting driven back. It was embarrassing. I didn't even I was so mad about the secondary. Some big fellas getting driven back. It's like they just quit, they just quit doing the play. It was wow.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 4: I was very surprised, and I see where your disappointment came from from two days ago when we were talking about of course I knew the origin of our problems, but I was just trying to uh mitigate a little bit more right, just a little bit more.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 5: So, Uh, they've got a bunch of guys on the injury port. But he kind of downplayed Digs and CD uh not practicing. He felt like there was not of high concern.
Speaker 3: And what do they have.
Speaker 5: So Diggs has a foot and CD has an ankle, So.
Speaker 4: The foot on the same on the same leg. That's that's Digs Digs, same foot, same.
Speaker 5: Doesn't say left or right. But he said it was not of high concern. So I think they were just being cautious. Uh, And they had a bunch of other guys that were just getting rest that they normally get. That they were listed as limited. It was a step in the right direction that Jake Ferguson was limited and he said he should be good to go. They're good about that.
Speaker 3: But look at the defensive line.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have two ends in the game.
Speaker 5: But then there's Mazzie Smith who started to practice. But my understanding when everybody was watching, he left.
Speaker 3: He's was listed as d n P right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so he didn't really do anything. Uh, it's a back issue and they were going to continue to check it out today and see where he's at. So so if you don't have Phillips.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's look at that depth chart on the defense, you don't.
Speaker 5: Have Mazzie Smith. One of the reason I would imagine they signed Carlos Watkins off of Washington's practice squad is he's been at least practicing.
Speaker 3: He did get elevated last week. He had three snaps in last week's game for Washington.
Speaker 5: Yeah, somebody said he didn't play, and I thought I saw on his little playing reference bio that he played.
Speaker 3: He was He was not signed in the off season, and he's thirty one years old now, but he was with Arizona last year second game of the year. Last year he tours biceps and had biceps surgery, so he was coming off of that, and that's why he did not sign in the spring and wasn't signed until training camp in Washington, and why he's on the practice squad to start the season. So maybe there is hope there that he is fully healed and recovered.
Speaker 5: And should be ready to go.
Speaker 3: And he was here for a couple of years and twenty one time too, I remember.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but go ahead with your depth chart. Yeah, yeah, okay, So if you're including him, and you're including Lynnville Joseph Osa. We know he's playing, But the nose tackle dude, much not there, not much there?
Speaker 2: Who's the beat righting for the cowboy? He might get it right, I don't know. The nose tackle dude.
Speaker 3: Well, the nose tackled dude would be Lynnville Joseph right now, right.
Speaker 5: And then look at the practice squad. Phil Hoskins, yeah, big boy, and Denzel Dexon right.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Denzel Dexon.
Speaker 5: So if you're looking for big bodies, that's where you would have to go. But Watkins not small.
Speaker 3: He's three.
Speaker 5: I think they listed them at three point fifteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's not small.
Speaker 5: So about the size of Baltimore's.
Speaker 3: Fullback, that's right, four time Pro Bowl fullback Patrick Ricard.
Speaker 5: God, he's like five hundred pounds.
Speaker 3: He's three hundred. He's listed at three hundred, and that's about what he is. He looks like that's what he is.
Speaker 2: Did you say five hundred pounds?
Speaker 5: I was joking to exaggerate. How he's sixty three three hundred, yeah, thirty years old. So we're talking a grown man there, yep.
Speaker 3: Who was a defensive lineman in college and then they converted him into a fullback and he's he's like lining up another offensive lineman in the backfield in front of a two hundred and fifty pound running back Derrick Henry. So about their jumbo package, man, I mean, and their jumbo package they run at every play.
Speaker 4: I'd love to hear I know, I love to hear Nate's take on the offensive line and the splits and how the Cowboys are going to try and effectively handle mm hmm.
Speaker 3: That I'll tell you what I was. All Right, do you have anything more? Do you want to say on the injury eight on stuff? And then we get into this.
Speaker 5: No, but they've got they've got a couple.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: Kyle Hamilton, they're starting safety, did not practice with a back.
Speaker 3: The guy that I'm interested in is Nate Wiggins, who is their top draft pick at cornerback. Didn't play last week. He had a concussion and missed last week. And I think when you look at them and their secondary, they're playing Kyle Hamilton as a slot corner and he's a taller guy, six or four guy playing the slot whatever. And so ideally the way the makeup of their secondary is they want Nate Wiggins, who is he ran a four two eight and he's a play he's a baller and Clemson and he and he was he played the first game and got knocked out and literally had a concussion. And so they're playing Brandon Stevens at one corner at s m U DeVante Adams had some catches against Tim last week and at the Marlon Humphrey their other corner. And if you've got Wiggins, then Humphrey can go can go inside and play the slot. And they've got a couple of other safeties. Eddie Jackson is a guy that they signed. You know, they led the league in takeaways last year, and they led the league in sacks last year also, and they led the league in run defense. That's how their defensive coordinator got that Seattle job, Mike McDonald. So, do you know who their defensive coordinator out of DeSoto, Texas, Zach Orr. Do you know remember you remember Terry Orr?
Speaker 2: Yes? I do remember his son, Way That's amazing.
Speaker 3: Terry Orr, who out of Abilene, who was running back in high school and went to Texas as a running back and then he played tight end for Washington in the NFL during your back in your day, I think four kids maybe three or four who played college football, and Zach Orr was one of them. And Zack played at North Texas and then he didn't get recruited to a larger school, probably because of his height. He's only five to eleven and seven eighths or.
Speaker 2: Something like that, Toxas.
Speaker 3: But anyway, and so then he went to the Ravens out of college and was starting for the Ravens in twenty sixteen at middle linebacker and had and led them in tackles that year. And then was discovered going into twenty seventeen that he had a spine spinal condition, congenital defect, and he had to retire from.
Speaker 5: Football, and so then he startarted coaching.
Speaker 3: He started coaching, and in seven years he's he's at age thirty two. He's a defensive coordinator.
Speaker 2: Yeahssed.
Speaker 5: So they also have a guy that's out with a non injury personal reason. H la oh lou. I'll let you do the first two names.
Speaker 3: Where is he? Let me see, la olu.
Speaker 2: I got to work this one out.
Speaker 3: Malayas salah oh mave lo. There you go, man, he's an offensive guard.
Speaker 2: Did you start all over? So there?
Speaker 4: Well, you know one thing about that It's good to see some other teams having problems in some key positions because that secondary can be exploited obviously.
Speaker 2: Well, and then they're gonna have to do a lot to overcome and try to come up with.
Speaker 3: These guys are the three safeties that are playing for them when they're in their nickel. It's Kyle Hamilton's playing the slot, and then Marcus Williams and Eddie Jackson. Nate. Nate first, go what's he up to?
Speaker 5: Trying to call and see if my phone?
Speaker 3: You finally figured out how to turn the ringer?
Speaker 5: I know how to turn You couldn't figure it out?
Speaker 2: How days ago?
Speaker 5: I was trying to hurry and turn the volume.
Speaker 3: Down, okay, and you couldn't figure it out.
Speaker 2: No, No, he just tried.
Speaker 3: Now you figured it out.
Speaker 5: Continue and let it vibrate.
Speaker 2: Right all right?
Speaker 3: Uh there, I'll say this, Yes, I didn't have as much confidence about this game until I look deeper into the ravens last night. And so when we come back here on dive will take a deeper dive into the ravens and maybe it'll give you more hope for Sunday at at and T Stadium.
Speaker 2: Please do hey, cowboy fans.
Speaker 6: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 3: Slide for the first down.
Speaker 6: Investate your icons where everyone is a Rooki in crypto with blockchain dot Com perfect.
Speaker 3: Throw My goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 6: Visit blockchain dot Com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 1: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 7: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lite is brewed to be less feeling.
Speaker 8: What are you doing here? Miller Lite tastes great. Look, I'm just reading the script. It says less feeling.
Speaker 2: That's not what my script says.
Speaker 8: Hell mindset.
Speaker 9: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers Middle Lighters in fact less filling and taste great. I'm Bishine Legal Guy. Celebrate Responsibily Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands peopoint d grams. Carvers for twelve ounces fewer Cowsion cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 4: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team Hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x'es and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 3: Demitt Shuts.
Speaker 4: Head to at and T Stadium to experience Rally Day presented by seat Geek on Saturday, September twenty first, from ten am to two pm. Get ready to cheer on your Dallas Cowboys with tours of AT and T Stadium, the ass from the Dallas Cowboys, cheerleaders, ticket giveaways, games, and more. Visit at and T stadium dot com Slash Rally days to get your tickets today.
Speaker 3: All right, the return of the spot whisperer Everson Walls.
Speaker 5: I love it. So it was the question yesterday about the emotional outbursts that you didn't like.
Speaker 3: What was it about the emotional outburst? It's like this question at McCarthy's press conference yesterday. Yeah, And Mickey was saying that if he had to field some of these questions, he would be Greg Popovich.
Speaker 5: And I understand. It wasn't any relationship to the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: It was just like, in general, how do you handle like a.
Speaker 5: Player and gets real emotional and you have a little outburst on the sideline. Do you like that or do you rather no emotion on the sideline? And I think Mike said, who wants the sidelines pretty sacred and usually what happens on the sideline stays on the side. Something people would be astounded what they would hear what goes on on the headsets between the coaches during the game, they would just shocked. And it ain't like NASCAR, right because NASCAR will play that during the races. You don't want to hear what the coaches.
Speaker 2: Have to say.
Speaker 4: Well, sometimes when they isolated on them on like Thursday night, Monday night whatever, football, and they isolated on the defensive offensive coordinator who's.
Speaker 2: In the booth, you can read their lips when they're pissed off. You can read their lips.
Speaker 4: I mean this, You can pretty much imagine what's going on, and you wouldn't be as shocked as what you just saw.
Speaker 2: I mean I could. They had one guy on Monday night football.
Speaker 4: I forgot what happened, and they messed up to play and here, Okay, I'll never forget.
Speaker 3: It doesn't happen normal workplaces.
Speaker 5: Well I thought it did because it happened in the newspapers. I guarantee in the newsroom.
Speaker 2: It's happened here, Mickey on your show. That's what I'm talking about. That's what I'm talking about. We won't go over that. I just love talking about. Thank God for that. I'm here now, so I got amen. I remember.
Speaker 5: For some reason. The Cowboys were playing at the Giants, by the way, and we're in the press pots, and all of a sudden we could hear the headset from it was Norv Turner and it was coming through the ventilation right and and the Cowboys had the ball. Troy's taking a snap right, and he just got the snap, and Norv is screaming, throll.
Speaker 3: You such and such a throw it, throw it right, and it's like, well, let him hit his back you can see it up.
Speaker 5: Here, right, And he finally hit his back foot and throws the Michael that it was.
Speaker 2: Looking at.
Speaker 5: One kid was screaming like Troy, Troy, could hear him right? Or or the time where the Cowboys gave up the lead against the Vikings and it was going to go into overtime and Campo said something about the coin toss, like, oh, by aching you can fill in the blank, we gotta win the toss.
Speaker 2: I can hear.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, Well, what kind of questions you said? You want to repeat the question that you said?
Speaker 3: Okay, no, he don't remember.
Speaker 5: He wanted to dive into Baldemar, but he was just another question that asked later and maybe one I didn't like put the.
Speaker 3: Little Yeah, there wasn't one that you would take notes about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it was like, oh.
Speaker 4: Just so you know, instead of being like Papa Bis, just be like Belichick man.
Speaker 5: And say nothing and yeah, he's just got this. Nobody's shocked how good he is on he was on the Manning cast, and how how good he was talking about what was going on in the game. It's all by design.
Speaker 4: Well, now, of course people in the game they know, yeah, how articulately he is.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, for those yeah, those fans, they don't know.
Speaker 3: Okay, when you think of Cowboys versus Ravens, what do you think of the history of the series.
Speaker 5: How well the Ravens have run the ball against the Cowboys and they've dominated him on the ground.
Speaker 3: What is there anything in any moment in particular that you recall that sticks out in your mind more than any other. Just in fact, the Cowboys, by the way, are one in five versus the Ravens. The last twenty four years since the Ravens came into existence.
Speaker 5: Was it was it when they ran for three hundred yards against the Cowboys?
Speaker 3: Well, that was the last meeting in two hundred and ninety four yards. No, I was three hundred and six yards. That was the twenty twenty season.
Speaker 5: Last game was Texas Stadium.
Speaker 3: No okay, no okay. So that's what, right, that's what it sticks out in my mind. Yes, it wasn't their total number of rushing yards, but it's the last game ever played at Texas Stadium. It's a celebration moment for this organization. And it came down to the fourth quarter and with I don't have the details in front of me, but with three minutes left in the game, Willis McGahee goes seventy seven yards for a touchdown and then with a minute eighteen left in the game. It was a tight game, one score game, and believe it was Larn McLain went eighty two yards for a touchdown. Back to back series for the Ravens. They went at a seven seven yard touchdown run in an eighty two yard touchdown run.
Speaker 2: I was at that game.
Speaker 4: I was too my daughter, and after the game they had the celebration right right, and they invited the guys up there.
Speaker 2: At the time.
Speaker 3: I was at the game in my role at that game actually was on the public address system. I was down on the sideline and during timeouts I would interview at Everson Walls or former Cowboy players that were on the sideline. That was how celebratory the moment was. And the Ravens just made it a.
Speaker 5: So I recall and beat him were thirty three twenty four.
Speaker 4: That's okay, I recall, if I'm not mistaken, we could not get the ball to Too.
Speaker 2: We could not get the I'm.
Speaker 3: Gonna think he had one touchdown in that game we had.
Speaker 2: We kept going deep, we kept going deep to.
Speaker 4: Him, and we won the sideline and you could just see the frustration between Romo and Too, and I don't think that did well for their relationship at all.
Speaker 5: Maybe that's because Romo and Witten were drawn up play in the dirt, leaving him out of the secret.
Speaker 2: The secret drawing.
Speaker 5: She's the things that comes up around this team. It's believable.
Speaker 3: Okay. So, So the one time the Cowboys did beat the Ravens was in twenty sixteen DA's rookie season. Now, the Ravens were down that year. They had finished with a five hundred record, and they were coming.
Speaker 2: Off was this pre Jackson?
Speaker 3: It was Flacco? Yeah, but okay, so and coming off the only losing record, John right. I think they went five and eleven, maybe the year before twenty fifteen, and and then Lamar Jackson came after that and the rest they say is history. So here it is Lamar Jackson's playing his first game at at and T Stadium.
Speaker 5: Oh very good.
Speaker 3: And so I'm thinking this is this seems like such a bad matchup for the Cowboys just because of what the Ravens do. The Ravens known for their rush offense.
Speaker 5: And regardless of what happened to the Cowboys against the Saints running the right, the Ravens knew in June what they were going to write.
Speaker 3: And and and you know they signed Derrick Henry in the off season. And okay, so this is no one. And in fact, when the schedule came out, this is of the first four games, this is the one that I had most concerned about, even though it was at home, just because of the matchup the Ravens. Having said all that, then last night I go and look at the Ravens game against the Raiders last week, and I'm going, hmmm, I think I came out of that thinking the Cowboys have a good chance of winning this.
Speaker 5: Game because because they're let mean, guess their defense.
Speaker 3: It because of their offensive line. Oh okay, they're replacing guys in their offensive line. There's a reason that they're owing too now. They almost beat Kansas City. They were a toe tap away from in a two point conversion away from beating Kansas City. But they shouldn't be losing to the We saw those Raiders starters through a quarter and a half in the preseason with Gardner Minshew at quarterback. They should not be losing at home to the Raiders unless they got some issues going on. And I think they've got some issues going on well.
Speaker 2: In order to.
Speaker 4: Stay with the Ravens. Of course, you have to handle the offensive line and winning game, as you talked about, and I did notice both games they didn't really run Derrick Henry as much as I thought they.
Speaker 3: Would well, especially the first half of that game. Yeah, first half of the and the end of the game. First half of the game, he had I wrote it down somewhere, he had this was the Ravens rush offense. The first half. It was a nine to six game. At halftime, Ravens were ahead, and in the first half Henry had seven carries for five yards, and Justice Hill, their backup, had two carries for three yards and Lamar had one carry for three yards.
Speaker 2: And I was wondering as I watched the game, where is this.
Speaker 3: So the first half of that game rushing, they had ten carries for eleven yards. Now in the second half, Henry had seventy nine yards on eleven carries, Justice Hill had nineteen yards on two carries, and Lamar had forty two yards on face kept him in the game, and so they wound up going in the second half seventeen carries one hundred and forty yards. They became the Ravens again. But then they had a ten point lead with ten minutes left in the game, and for some reason they didn't hand off the ball to Derrek Henry. It was basically a third quarter deal.
Speaker 2: Where the Top did last week.
Speaker 3: This past week against the Raiders.
Speaker 4: The first game was worse. Okay, the first game was worse. He had even less productivity in the first game. And I was very surprised about that because I.
Speaker 3: Had thirteen carries for forty six yards in a touchdown against the Chief.
Speaker 5: Says here, he's had thirty one for the season in two games.
Speaker 4: I don't understand because they are It's not like they haven't been in the games. They've always been close. So that's the moment that you use someone.
Speaker 3: Like that, especially when you got a ten point lead against the Raiders at home, you get the ball back with eight minutes left in the game. That's where you are running the heck out of it.
Speaker 2: Is this some thing with Jackson numbers. I don't understand it. I don't not make any sense to that.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Blessing with hallball. That's his style, that's what he does, yep.
Speaker 3: And that's how they got that lead on him in the third quarter of the game. The other day is they started using Henry Maybe the learned their lesson. But on their offensive line now, their centers good Tyler Linderbaum first round pick. Their left tackle Ronnie Stanley is a first round pick. They've got a seventh rounder playing it left guard, and they've got at right guard Daniel Falalle three hundred and eighty pounds now.
Speaker 5: We weigh yes, yes.
Speaker 3: He's three hundred eighty pounds. He was a fourth round draft pick, was a tackle I think in college, and they moved him inside now to guard. And but at right tackle they've got Patrick mckerry, who is a kind of a jack of all trades on the offensive line, who is a college free agent coming out of cal in twenty nineteen. He's starting at right tackle, and he's smaller. He is a bridge before for their rookie Roger Rosengarten, who was their second round draft pick, number sixty two overall pick so to out of Washington. He is projected to be their starting right tackle, and he is playing snaps, but he's it's playing. He's playing like every third series, and so mcarry is the guy that's playing right now. At some point they're going to turn it over to Rosengarten, but he's not ready apparently yet.
Speaker 4: So you've got a look at their defense as well, because they really haven't been able to stop those teams when they need to. They've controlled them the game, but the offense has put so much pressure on them. Sometimes you can see that defense get a little exhausted, and they have been kind of in achilles heel, especially at the end of the game.
Speaker 2: You let Minshew.
Speaker 4: Drive the ball down the field on you when you got to have it. That doesn't sound that they were going.
Speaker 3: He was going to Adams and Adams and at times wasn't really open against Brandon Stevens, but minshe was putting it on him, and of course Tay Adams is doing what he does, you know, and made some great catches and they were able and in fact, on the touchdown that tied the game at twenty three, it was a playfake. They finally did run the They weren't able to run the ball at all against the Ravens throughout the game, and finally fourth quarter they were able to get some positive places. It's right, Ravens, that's right. And part of that is because the offense wasn't wasn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's that's team game. That's what you love football. It's a team game.
Speaker 5: Last year they finished with fifty eight sacks on defense. They've got seven right now, and.
Speaker 3: Five of them came in that game, in the Raider.
Speaker 5: Game, the Raider game, right, So they didn't do much against Kansas City. And in the Raider game, see if I can say it, right, Odaffy Away, their outside linebacker in his fourth year, had two and a half sacks. This is the first time he had multiple sacks in a game. So they were like, oh, he's.
Speaker 3: He had a sack on the first play of the game and on about the eighth player the right. He had two of those sacks in the first quarter.
Speaker 5: And van Ney has two sacks. He had nine last year. And then nom the mad BK.
Speaker 3: How about that out McKinny North High School in Texas, A and m we had thirteen thirteen sacks last year. Yeah, yeah he was last year he was justin half a sack. Now last year he was justin madobee k and now he's nom de mattabe K. So I haven't looked.
Speaker 5: Up cult, but see, and a lot of a bunch of their sacks last year were with David Clowney and.
Speaker 3: Yeah he's got he had nine and a half sacks last year and Vanoi had a career high nine sacks last year.
Speaker 5: So they were pretty good. But the first couple of games they've kind of struggled putting pressure on opposing quarterbacks. So I saw that, and you know, and then they're like number one stopping to run. But they're thirty second against the past, and I'm wondering, so if you can't run at them, then everybody just resorts throwing the ball. They get a bunch of yarns, but who knows.
Speaker 2: They may well and once again he did in the secondary. Right, you just talked and talk about the entries in there.
Speaker 3: They've got Nate Wiggins is hurt. Yeah, they're rookie corner, first round pick.
Speaker 2: Well we'll check out their depth, see how good it is.
Speaker 3: That's right, and uh, because what made me notice it one of the corners had to leave and they brought in Jalen armor Davis fourth round pick from a couple of years ago for a player or two against the Raiders.
Speaker 2: So that's what they're probably doing the last drive.
Speaker 5: Jay Light armored Davis and he didn't practice yesterday for personal reasons. Okay, and Wiggins is out with the concussion at this point.
Speaker 3: So so anyway, I think after looking at the Raider at the Ravens, I have renewed hope that the Cowboys might be able to do something on Sunday.
Speaker 5: Just just tell the committee to go sit down and throw the football four wide receivers. Did you see they used four wide receivers.
Speaker 3: Uh? Well they did because Schoonmaker only had twenty eight snaps. Yeah, I mean, he's your starting tight end and he was the guy that And in fact, I was preparing to interview the coach for the Coaches Show, and I'm like, okay, I'm gonna ask about Schoonmaker because you know, he got the full load. And then I looked up the snaps. I waited, he only had twenty eight snaps.
Speaker 5: And you know what, And and I thought I saw loop Key out there a lot. Yeah, I think he only had ten.
Speaker 3: I think he had ten.
Speaker 5: Ye, maybe it was early. And then they got behind, and it was like.
Speaker 4: Once you get behind your game plan, the usually down by two scores, it goes out the window.
Speaker 3: But even with that, when when you got three wide receivers on the field, you usually have a tight end. Yeah, but not if it's not Jake Ferguson. You want to They went with four whiteouts because you want your best receiving targets and Schoomaker's which, by the way, we'll get into that when we come back here in a moment on Mixed Shots. Brought to you by Miller Lite Nice Star.
Speaker 4: Our Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team Hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas. Tour the Star and talk x'es and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports tools, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 6: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Doak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 5: Slides for the first down.
Speaker 6: Investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 3: Perfect throw My goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 6: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 1: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 7: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lte is brewed to be less feeling. What are you doing here?
Speaker 8: Miller Lite tastes great. Look, I'm just reading the script. It is less fillings.
Speaker 3: That's not what my script says.
Speaker 9: Hell mindset, we'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Miller lights in fact less filling and taste great. I'm Mashine Legal Guy, Celebrate Responsibly. Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands, three point two Graham's Carbs for twelve ounces, fewer cowsand cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 1: Demitt shuts.
Speaker 4: The schedule is set and limited tickets for the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys season at at and T Stadium are available now. Exclamation point, don't miss your chance to see your Cowboys live at at and T Stadium when they host the NFC East rival Eagles, Giants Commanders, plus the Ravens, Lions, Texans, Bengals, and Bucks. Visit Dallascowboys dot com, slash tickets or SeatGeek dot com, the official primary ticketing partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Can you run down those teams again and then tell me w's and l's.
Speaker 4: Eagles W, Giants, W, Commanders, W. Ravens. I'm gonna skip that, Lions W. Texans, Man, Bengals man, and Bucks.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be a grudge game there.
Speaker 3: Well the Bucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, Baker making Baker, Yeah, Baker wants to.
Speaker 3: Its just Baker want was every everybody he plays.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he's always he's got he owes them something.
Speaker 3: It's so far, he's so so good for him first well of the year.
Speaker 2: I do like him. I must admit I like his uh moxy gumption.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know what. I like that he stood up for Bryce Young came I didn't see that. He came out and said, you know, sometimes the quarterback has to be not only get the right opportunity, but in the right situation.
Speaker 3: Well, he's been there before, He's been at Carolina.
Speaker 5: And that's what and that's what he was pointing out.
Speaker 3: And the off and the head coach was his offensive coordinator.
Speaker 5: And Alys was at where did he go after Baker?
Speaker 3: Baker started went to Cleveland first, the first pick, and then he went to Carolina and then he went to the Rams, and he showed up on Tuesday in one game on Thursday, and that got him the opportunity at Tampa Bay and now.
Speaker 5: He's got a three year and he was saying, sometimes a young quarterback just needs to take a break and look at it. You know, not everybody's born ready just because you're the first picking and.
Speaker 2: Something if you're on a bad.
Speaker 5: Team, and he pointed it out the reason he was the first pick in the draft by them was because they were.
Speaker 11: Bad and they still good for him to and by the way, they also gave up future picks in order to move up to take him, and so they're not adding to the team either.
Speaker 3: So all right. Uh September Football September coach talked about this as it relates to practice and what's this is sort of an extension of training camp for the team out on the practice field this month and you take the mistakes that you make on Sunday and you tried to lay a foundation for the rest of the season that you hope will turn into future wins by correcting those mistakes and taking the time. And one of the points of emphasis yesterday at practice, the coach said was route running. And I would assume that was on the heels of the Jalen Brooks slip and the interception.
Speaker 2: And then the and the c.
Speaker 5: Who I think CD was just talking to guys. And then you don't know that he meant to get quoted by it. Somebody used it that he was saying he made the wrong move on the past that dacked through and the it was on him. It was yeah, but but you're right. And so I've already sort of written this for my column for tomorrow. But I was saying, you know, because Mike kept talking about September football, and my point was, well, it's because you don't play football in May and June, and you don't play football in August, so now you get September, and there's a lot of kind of football unknown, right, And and I said it on the podcast and it's like, yeah, it's like that song what does it see you in September? Something like that, And I looked it up. It was the Happenings that that it said the lyrics go but it was it was not I'm not, I'm not, it was it was it was talking about being alone and not being being by yourself, and we'll see you in September. It's a love song, right right, And it made me think of college. Right, you go home and then it's like, you come back to college and I'll see you in September.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: But anyway, so football sees you in September.
Speaker 3: Real football, real, and that's why you have in September the surprises too. You have a weekend where the Niners, Lions, Cowboys, Eagles, what other nfcroll and those are.
Speaker 5: All of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, my thing is, we talk about it, it's a long season. These two games, they are not nearly indicative of what we're going to see at the end of the season. This may be it won't even be indicative of what we see at the midpoint of the season. Everything's going to be different by the time we get there. And my thing is, you have to coach in that manner, in other words, when you know that you have got a deficit. Of course, ours is the running game and consistent scoring. Offensively, we need to make sure get the routes run, run correctly, get on the same page with the QB and make sure that we have better recognition when it comes to the run. We just have to improve on that. Otherwise this season is going to be a long season. You have to coach and believe that you will get better as the season goes on. And if you don't, then what the hell was the entire offseason training camp for.
Speaker 5: Well, and and think about the number of young players they're counting on. You would hope just what you said you get better. Right, But as I said yesterday, when you you said about the W and L's, if you did that when the schedule came out, what do you think you had the Cowboys W and L's at after three games? Probably one and two, right, gonna lose the Cleveland gonna lose the ball. Hey, and everybody's worried about getting off to a fast start. Well, you're one and one man.
Speaker 3: You better take care of business this coming week because there's two games in a span of five days starting Sunday. By a week from tomorrow, we're gonna know a heck of a lot more about this team and they better not be one and three a week from tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Just remember that, right, first place Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, the first place, Dallas Cowboys, and we'll be back tomorrow at high noon for a fabulous Football Friday edition of Mixed.
Speaker 2: Shots, Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club Cowboy