Speaker 1: In Case You Missed It with Christina Williams is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment.
Speaker 2: What's up, everybody, it's your girl, Christina.
Speaker 1: And this is another episode of In Case You Missed It with Christina Williams. And I'm super excited about this week's guest. I want to say today's show is a little bit legendary because we have a four time WNBA champion, five time Olympic gold medalist, and all around media mogul, and I think she's my boss kind of. I want to welcome in the iconic one of one super to the show.
Speaker 3: Hey, Sue, Hi, thanks for having me, Thanks.
Speaker 2: For being here.
Speaker 1: So I want to dive right in, and I know everyone's super curious. We've seen you around everywhere. How's life since retirement for you?
Speaker 3: It's been good. It's been good. Definitely busy figuring out how to say no, which clearly I have not done a good job of. But you know, I'm obviously still figuring it out, but lucky to have a lot of opportunities that I'm able to check out to see what actually speaks to me. So I still feel like I'm in a little bit of that phase.
Speaker 1: I'm actually absolutely like living kind of curiously through you because I feel like we all don't have the same twenty four hours as super You're literally doing a little.
Speaker 2: Bit of everything.
Speaker 1: I think one thing that I've I'm married about you like in your retirement phase is just how you've diversified your investments across media, team, ownership, business, which drives you to your passion of building your business portfolio. When it comes to supporting like women led initiatives.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I actually feel really lucky. A lot of times people don't necessarily know what their passion is. A lot of times people don't know how to execute that passion when they do find it. I obviously am extremely passionate about women's sports, even more passionate about women's basketball it self. It's something I obviously lived and breathed, but it's something I believe in and so to you know, now in retirement, try to find ways to keep having an impact, keep growing the game. Like you said, whether it's media, ownership, you name it. I have that as my north star. That's like my guiding light, and so again I feel really lucky that I have that and then from there, I'm just able to figure it out and see what works.
Speaker 1: In addition to expanding your business portfolio, you've been able to you and your fiance Megan Rappino, have been able to kind of evolve a touch more the live podcast that gave all of us life during the pandemic into a full fledged production company and podcast. What's the best part for you about trading in your jersey for a mic.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, I had to you know, at some point you got to retire from sports sadly. I mean, I think just given my experience in the world of women's bast all you know on the court, off the court, the things I've seen for a lot of us, a lot of us former players, a lot of current players, we have a unique outlook like we've lived it. And now that women's basketball is getting more attention, women's sports is getting more attention, you need our voices, You need us to be in this media space kind of given the real at times. And I think that's where Meghan and I have really landed with our podcast and what we want it to be about. We want to be able to share the mic. If you will have guests on giving their real takes, but we also want to have our voice because honestly, when you do retire, what you realize is the mic is not in front of your face as much anymore, so you don't really have that outlet. So we just want ahead and built the outlet.
Speaker 1: What's something that you've learned about Megan while doing this podcast?
Speaker 3: Oh? Man, you know something I've learned. I don't know if it's I don't know if I've learned this about her. I don't know if she's learned anything about me. I think it's more so just we already knew each other very well, had an understanding, and you're seeing it come out even more right So for Megan, the differences in the way that we prepare for the podcast, it's like so us like, I'm like very prepared. I try to have like all my ducks in a row, and Meghan likes to be a little bit more spontaneous and pulsive in the moment. And I think that's why it actually fits really well. We're kind of broke both bringing that, so it really just doubled down on what I already knew.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite segments of the podcast is are you a Meghan or are you a suit? So?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to know.
Speaker 2: What would you say is the ultimate soothing about you?
Speaker 3: Oh? God, yeah, I guess I'm just especially compared to Meghan, I'm just like a little more buttoned up. I'll call it. Some might call it something else. I keep it real.
Speaker 2: You do keep it real.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just a little more on it. Yeah, I think that's kind of That's kind of what it is. But you know, every now and then it changes up, and that's why we have fun doing the riu O Meghan, are you Sue?
Speaker 2: Build it on?
Speaker 1: Like the podcast conversation. One of your main goals, you said, was to provide a unique perspective on the important and relevant issues of today. And so, in a recent episode, which is one of my favorite episodes because I think that you guys really raise awareness on an important topic with media and their relationships to pro athletes, you and Megan, you guys did a deep dive into how isms have impacted not only black athletes, but marginalized groups within the WNBA. As someone who has consistently used their platform to advocate the social justice and to support those marginalized communities, what role do you believe allyship plays and creating those meaningful conversations that can potentially change the sports world.
Speaker 3: God, it's such a big part or such a big piece to the larger puzzle. When you have somebody advocating for you that isn't you, doesn't look like you, doesn't necessarily have the same societalles or challenges that you have, it just goes further. It just has a larger impact. The volume, if you will, is bigger. I have felt that both, like on both sides essentially, like both as an ally, which is really as a white player in a league that is predominantly black or women of color. I've also experienced it as a gay athlete. Right Like when a straight person speaks on LGBTQ issues, it just has a bigger meaning. And I think that's just the like, that's just the reality of it, that's just the world we live in. Again, when somebody advocates for you, it can also take the load off a little bit, make it less of just my issue and kind of more one of all of our issues. And I think that has a lot of power to it as well. It makes it a little less daunting, and because it's really hard to have to constantly advocate for yourself to have to constantly be out there. I mean, honestly, even sometimes I get sick of my own voice when I have to talk about things that are directly impacting me. You know, you don't want to be you want to be annoying that kind of thing. So when you have somebody supporting you and backing you, when you can be the person who is supportive or backing somebody else, it just goes so far. And it's really, I think, such an important, like I said, piece of the puzzle if you actually want to create change.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you know this, but the first time I ever interviewed you was when the WNBA was back at MSG. Obviously you were still playing for the Seattle Storm and we were like in a little hallway and I was super nervous because I'm like, this is super and this is my first time covering the WNBA. But like I remember, a fan kept yelling your name, and you were like advocating for me in a way as a media member, like now I'm doing this and just gave me your attention to time. But also this past June at the Tribeca Film Festival, the power of the Dreams. At the Power of the Dream screening, you asked all of us to stand up who was covering the w n b A And I just want to give you your flowers and thank you just for seeing those of us who've been in this space as women of color, in this space that covers this league, just recognizing that and giving us your time as a pro athlete.
Speaker 2: We appreciate you.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you of your advocacy too for those of us who are part of these groups trying to break into you know, this space and the media, because in the same way, the media space needs more diversity in the news rooms. And that's something that I've been passionate about ever since I came into this space, just being a voice, even when you know I've been attacked by other people in the media and do not look like me. So I appreciate you too. And I don't know if you knew that, but just want to let you know.
Speaker 3: That, thank you. I really appreciate that. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Staking On the Power of the Dream, you co produce this documentary alongside Nekka Gloomika, Don Porter, and Tracy Ellis Ross. Why was this story an important story to tell for you?
Speaker 3: Man. I mean, first of all, the story itself is just there's so many lessons to be learned. Yes, it's a story about the WNBA and essentially, you know how we were able to I guess, fight back when attacked by an actual owner who was you know, for those that don't know saying in our bubble season in twenty twenty, not to have black lives matter on the court, not to dedicate our season to say her name. So, yes, it's very much a story about that, and that is a story that just needs to be told. I mean, I'm sure you've heard me say. It's like if any other male sports league had done what we did in that bubble season, the whole world would have known, without a doubt, people would have been banging on the door to make that documentary. So in one sense, it was just important to tell it for what it is. But I think on another side, there's so many lessons to be learned. There's lessons around, I feel like for women, for women of color, again, marginalized communities. There's an empowerment piece to this, right, there's a collaboration. What happens when we work together aspect to this, When to lead, when to follow understanding that when you're trying to get when you have this larger goal, it's not always going to be easy. Like some of my favorite moments, they weren't my favorite in the moment, but favor now is the harder times where we weren't necessarily arguing, but we all had different perspectives on how to get things done. And that's really how you problem solve, right, Like, that's really how you get to that end goal. So it's just for so many reasons I think it needed to be told. But yeah, if I'm being totally honest, it's because the women of the WNBA, like we do shit and we get shited done, and people needed to see what exactly happened in that moment and how we're able to help bring Reverend Warnock this like incredible amount of name recognition, which you know, i'd like to argue help them get elected, which as we know, changed and totally flipped democracy on its head.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I know, I totally agree.
Speaker 1: And you know it's super interesting because obviously I was covering the w around that time, and I thoroughly remember like being before the bubble happen, just being in Indianapolis and being with Tamika Katchans, Natalie Chong was Stephanie Mvunga and some of the other Indiana Fever leadership at the time, just marching down the streets, getting people registered to vote, just taking the job titles off and just beating people at a human level.
Speaker 2: And taking that action.
Speaker 1: And it's just because of the women at the WNBA, just getting people together to mobilize. Obviously, this is an important election and you've been super vocal about it, but just what is your message to you know, people out there about this election and why it is important to go out and vote.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, at the end of the day, voting is really the I don't want to say the only, but one of the guaranteed ways to have your voice heard, one of the guaranteed ways to have impact. And I know at times it can feel like, oh, I'm just one vote, but obviously, if you know, thousands of people or millions of people thought that, you know, then we'd be in a bad spot. So with that, not only is it the one way you're guaranteed, I feel like the other part of it is everybody has things they care about, you know, and so to piggyback off that this is the one way that the things that you care about you can have a voice in that as well. And yeah, this election is important, and yeah it makes me. It makes me nervous. I've had I've had, actually had like a really hard time watching the debates because I just get this like almost like a almost like some sort of performance anxiety, like for Kamala Harris, where I'm like, oh God, like I want her to do well so bad as I can only imagine. It's like not that this is equivalent at all, but watching your kid do something like you just want it so bad. But yeah, the other thing I feel like I would just encourage people to do is understand what's at stake and and really where that to be honest, where that segues too is social media, Like do not believe what you see on social media? And I'm just gonna go out like good or bad? You have to look stuff up. That for you page, Yeah, that for you page, it's dangerous, absolutely dangerous. It doesn't matter what we're talking about. That for you page is dangerous. Is set up right now to you know, push different agendas and different narratives in your face based on what you might be interested in. So I really encourage people, especially younger people, if you see something on social media like this is the right moment, to go ahead and do your own research, Like, don't just believe it because you see a headline. That's something we're learning in women's basketball. I think it's something that we're learning across the board. It definitely exists in politics as well.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I want to move right along to the next thing. And I appreciate you for sharing your thoughts on you know, why this election is so important. This past season, the Phoenix Mercury sort of hinted at Tyana Tarazzi, who is your former teammate, so when you competed against for years that if this is her last season, any updates on DT whether she's gonna retire.
Speaker 3: I got nothing. I got nothing. I'm not even being I'm not even viing Cooi, I'm not avoiding. I can only speak from my experience, right and obviously for me, I ended up announcing during the season. Totally different experience. But prior to the twenty twenty two season, which is when I retired right after the twenty twenty one season, this was the time where you gotta let like the fall all the season's just ended. You really need to let the dust settle because there's just so many different highs and lows in the emotions. It would be impossible to make a decision now anyway, Like unless she already knew with one certainty, that wouldn't be the time where she would say something anyways. So I'd imagine she's probably if I had to guess, I do know they had a vacation on the book, So hopefully she's on a beach kicking it with her family, not thinking about this decision, and we'll all find out soon.
Speaker 1: Thank you for that update. What's one of your favorite moments with Diana? I mean that shows like the true colors of who she really is.
Speaker 3: The true colors. Oh my god, you can go there. Yeah, it's it's like impossible. I told the story recently, But one of my funnier memories with d was actually at our first Olympics. So you know, we're the young Bucks's two thousand and four. We're definitely there to learn. We know that after this Olympics it was likely that, like Don Staley was going to retire, it was likely that, you know, the guard spots were going to be available. For us, so we're really there to learn. De definitely played a lot more than I did, but we're both still there to learn. But we're all so excited, you know, and we understand that the early games, Like I think we played New Zealand in the very first game. We're like, okay, this might be the only time we play, so like we got to be ready. So we get to the very first game. We walk in the locker room, you know, you just normal locker room stuff, put in your uniform on, whatever it is, go to put your shoes on. She was like, she taps me. She's like, oh no, I'm like what. She's like, I brought two left shoes. I'm like what, Like, what do you mean? There's another story where we're in Russia, very very very long story short. We get to the gym. I'm actually not playing this game. For whatever reason, I'm not. It's like I'm not even dressed. Maybe I'm hurt, who knows. We get to the range. She was like, oh my god, you have to go back to my apartment. I forgot my jersey. I'm like, all right, so I have, like I actually have like a decently long list of d doing shit like that. So no, it's super hard.
Speaker 2: So how did she get her other shoe? She brought two left shoes.
Speaker 3: I mean Nike letter Listen like Nike, you know they hook it up. So we had like six seven, eight nine pairs for the Olympics. So she just grabbed two left ones and somebody had to go back to the We were staying on a boat at that time. Somebody had to go back to the boat the botel and get her other shoe.
Speaker 2: That's so cool.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break. When we come back, we will discuss the growth of women's sports, the WNBA playoffs, Yukon, and some of Sue's favorite career moments. In your film Super in the Clutch, you talked about how Cheryl Swoops and Lisa Leslie and those players pioneered at the WNBA, but how your generation was the generation.
Speaker 2: That made it more normal to have a path to the the u NBA.
Speaker 1: Obviously, the w NBA league is different today than it was when you were first drafted. So what do you see as the biggest difference now then when you came in so much?
Speaker 3: So much? I actually think a lot of this answer lives in nil because, in my opinion, what the NIL did or what NIL is doing is it allows all these players who are making these huge names for themselves because the college platform is so big, So you're making these huge names for themselves, which is not different from myself, Diana Kanas, Parker, Skyler, Diggen. I mean you can rattle off a thousand names. We all were huge coming out of college. We all have big names, big brands in a sense. But now because they're getting like the brands to attach to them, the money's bigger. There's a different notoriety. And yes, Caitlin is obviously an angel to like in this other stratosphere, which I'm sure Paige and you know, would you just have announce her Nike deal They're going to follow. But regardless, like all the athletes are now building actual brands, and I think that's giving them just this like societal acceptance. That's much different because when a lot of us came into the WNBA, it was like a little bit of a drop off. The coverage was a drop off. This cool factor didn't really exist. You were cool in college, but something happened when you went to the WNBA. It's like, but I'm the same person. My game's the same, So yeah, there was just like something different. But now, and I do think this plays a huge role. You've got these players building their platforms, building like who they are as players but also as businesses, and they're taking that with them into the pro game. And what's happening is all these people, all these fans, all these brands, decision makers are seeing that and now they can invest in them early and also follow them into the pro leagues. And I really think that has been It's been so big for women's basketball because we are one of the few sports where the college platform is bigger or has been traditionally bigger than the pro platform. So this has really been needed to bridge that. And that's yeah, if I had to land somewhere, it's that bridging of the gap between college and the WNBA. It didn't exist for so many years, and now we're starting to see it and the business is big.
Speaker 1: It's booman, absolutely, and you're one of those players that's probably like transcended. And when people think of a WNBA think of you, they think of Diana Tarazzi's the hitroll suits and now that Caitlin Clarks. You spent nineteen seasons obviously with the Seattle Storm. You won four championships. I want to know which championship meant the most to you.
Speaker 3: Oh. I always say, you wouldn't ask a parent their favorite kid. Lucky for you, I do kind of have an answer. It doesn't you know. It's interesting this answer. So I've said this before. The answer. Okay, so the answer is twenty eighteen. But I have my reasons. And it's funny because when I said this in my eight hour long retirement speech, some of my former teammates from like twenty ten, two thousand and four, they were kind of mad at me. But the truth is the reason why twenty eighteen is my my favorite is because I was at a point in my career where I debated retirement. I don't really talk about this, but I debated retirement in twenty sixteen and seventeen. Like it was, it was, it was getting closer. I knew it was, it was on the horizon. And I had also in twenty sixteen signed up for a rebuild. So I'm at a point where I don't know how much longer I'm going to play, and I'm also at a point where I have totally resigned myself to helping the next generation of Storm players carry on the legacy, and it's not about winning a championship anymore. I really had accepted that. I was okay with that, But then all of a sudden, twenty eighteen comes and yet we had Stewey, we had Jewel that was already in the works. AC is only getting better and better. Right, I can go down the list. We add Natasha Howard, So a team that was kind of like we finished seventh eighty year before, we're kind of like, okay, now the sudden we plug her in and things just change. And now we finished first, right, Like we're probably picked to finish seventh or eight, who knows we finished. We're in the top of the standings. We're smelling championship, and I just people a lot of times will say like, oh, make sure you enjoy the moment, like live in the now. That can be hard to do that year, especially in our playoff run. I was so present and so in the moment because I knew this was so unexpected and I was just so thankful for it. So then to actually win it. So that's why it's my favorite.
Speaker 1: I love the twenty ten run. Those clutches and go ahead, I feel like that was like my CTV like you were in your bag in twenty ten, well, your whole career, you were in your bag with twenty ten was like one of my favorite runs to watch. You kind of handed the keys over to Jewel. And now you're in ownership, how have you been able to just advise and guide her? Because we know the Seattle Storm team is a team that's synonymous with winning when people think of Seattle basketball, Yes, you think of the SuperSonics, but no, it's the Seattle Storms town when it comes to basketball. So what have you been able to just kind of part to Jewel as she looks to, you know, continue that winning culture in Seattle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean to be honest, you know, since I've retired and even now in the ownership group, I'm around, I go to games. Obviously people see that and I try to be present in that way. But at the same time, like it was more so when I played with Jewel, you know, and I'm seeing her every day and you just try to like help somebody like you, like, I'm not gonna sit Jewel down and be like, yo, this is actually the way you should shoot your pull up or you know, this is Actually it was more just like mindset stuff, being a leader, like what it means to represent and carry a franchise right, not just to championships, but like every day, and how to embody that and how to get other people like your teammates involved in that way and feel ownership within that. So it's more so conversations like that. And to be honest, in twenty twenty three, to see Jewel step in to this leadership role, to see her be more vocal, to see her, you know, again take ownership of the team, that really made me proud. And again it's not I don't take any credit whatsoever, because like I said, we were just teammates having conversations here and there, But it really did make me proud to see her come out of her show in that way, to see her take on that role. You saw it again this year. This year obviously was a little bit different because now you've added Skyler Diggins and Echo Gumake, so it's obviously a little different. But it was really cool for me to watch Jool come out of her shelf. So that's been fun.
Speaker 1: You've played against countless talented players, and we know this year, especially how rivalries are the main storyline of the w I'm curious who pushed you to step up your game and your playing career, or a player that you went up against night in a the night out that just made you just get in your bag a little bit more.
Speaker 3: Diane's definitely up there, you know. When I think of really my whole career, so many times it was our two teams that had to play against each other. Not every playoff run had that aspect to it, but a decent amount of them. Sometimes you know, I was on the winning side, sometimes I was on the losing side, and you always take something from that. So definitely Diana. Early in my career, Jen Azy was someone like I'm catching Yeah, I'm catching Jen like at the tail end of her career. But that was somebody that I look up to when I was a little kid, like fourteen fifteen. That was my c at B a moment. I obviously wanted to have a career just like her, you know, like won national championships in college, had success at the pro level ABLWNBA, but one Olympic gold medals, and that was like somebody I was like, oh my gosh, I could have a career like that. And then when I finally got to play against her. You know, sometimes some people just have your number. She would just always block my shot. And I'm not like, you know, like I'm should pull up some threes. It's not like I'm in there doing any wild stuff. She had my pull up time, she would always block my shot. So I feel like that experience clearly I held onto it. But that's also, to be honest, why I take pride when I look back on my career because I know there's going to be somebody that's like, oh, if I can win, you know, this amount of gold medals, if I can win this amount of WNBA championships, like that's kind of what I want to aspire to be.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you know this too, but I'm from Harlem and I know that you're a fellow New Yorker. So growing up in New York, I feel like women's basketball like it wasn't something abnormal for me to see growing up because obviously, like women like you, Tina Charles, the epiphany princes, you know, like you guys really like let the game speak for itself. And I feel like New York they have it has like a lineage of elite point guards. I want to know, in your opinion, what makes New York Guards stand out from the rest of the world.
Speaker 3: Oh, easy, easy, I think. I think what I'm about to say shows up in like a variety of ways. But it's there's there's like a grit, there's a mental toughness. For some it means maybe like they're more physical. For some, it means they're gonna hit game winning shots. For others, you know, it means they can talk shit, talk trash throughout the whole game and still not have an impact on them get the better of you. I think it just shows up in so many different ways. But that's definitely why New York City guards are are elite. You kind of have to. It's like the city that you're playing in what felt like was always on the line. When I think back to my my high school days, even my AAU days, it was like there was always something on the line and you had to represent in a different way. And I think it gave all of us this mental toughness, like we knew we were representing something else, not just ourselves.
Speaker 1: As you look at the next generation of guards, obviously Caitlin Clark is at the top of that she won Rookie of the Year, and I know that you've talked about her in some of your predictions, that you said, oh, she's gonna be a Rookie of the Year. What stands out to you about her game specifically?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it starts and ends with the range in which she shoots it. Obviously, it's not to take away from her passing her ability to drive. I think she's a lot stronger and a lot faster than people were giving her credit for. That's actually something I noticed. I went to go see one of her games in Iowa. I was shooting Sue's places and she was in one of the episodes, and I was able to go catch one of her games. It wasn't like a Marquee game, but it was the first time I saw her up close in personal. I was sitting courtside, and immediately I was like, Oh, she's strong, she's fast as shit, and her handle was a lot tighter than I think you could understand watching on t But with all that said, it's still her range. The fact that you have to guard her that far out, the fact that you know she's efficient from that range. So it's not just the range it's the fact that she could shoot it off the dribble. This is what opens everything up for her. This is what allows her to utilize her speed and get by you, because what happens then people have to come and then she can find you. There's also another aspect of her game, like in terms of IQ and her pick and roll reads. That's elite. But I still think the threat of that long range three, the logo three, if you want to call it that, it opens up and allows her to showcase all the other parts of her game.
Speaker 1: You're one of the best passes that ever played the game, and I feel like as the game evolves sometimes it kind of looks like the art of post entry passes is kind of progressing.
Speaker 2: What's the secret, sauce behind being a good passer? I mean, no shame, no shape, no shape, But like.
Speaker 1: You're one of the best to do it, so I figure, why not ask you the secret to it?
Speaker 3: I don't even know if there is a secret. I mean some of it was like I played with great post players, so I had to learn how to do that shit, like for real. Some of it was that I think there's you know, there's there's like a whole recipe to it right, Like, some of it is not like unselfishness. We have to put yourself to the side, but you do have to be willing. I think some of it's court vision. There's another part that's angles. You know, how are you creating the angle? Like to me, like a Courtney vanderslute, she always creates angles like off the dribble. She finds ways I didn't really do it that way. I did it in other ways. So there's there's all different kind of ways to get this recipe going. I do think some of it is just a willingness and then using your experience as you go to like learn and read the defense. And then you have to have like an anticipation. That to me is like the biggest the biggest key. When you watch players who as they're watching plays unfold, they can kind of it feels like they're almost predicting. They're really just anticipating based on experiences they've already had and they're able to tap into that. Some of that comes from watching a lot of film. Some of that is literally just going out there and doing it and learning from mistakes.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Sue before you get out of here, I want to know because I've seen you courtside at some of the New York Liberty games taking in all of the playoffs in your former teammate Yukon Sistern Brianna Stewart has led the Liberty to the WNBA Finals. When this comes out, obviously we'll know who the Liberty will be up against. But what are your thoughts about the playoffs this year and what's exciting you the most about the postseason?
Speaker 3: The playoffs have been great. The only thing that we're all seeing, and this has been ongoing for forever, is trying to figure out this first round. In my first my early early days, the top seed went on the road for one game, then played the next two at home. I have to be honest, I lost in that scenario. I didn't love. That definitely puts the pressure on you know. Then we went to single nation. Now we're back to three games with a two to one format, But obviously some teams don't get a home game, so there's there's still I feel like this playoff show that still needs to be worked out. Once expansion team comes in there, comes in there, we'll see, we'll see how that changes things. That's the only negative. Everything else has been amazing. I think we're seeing excellent play. We're seeing in real time like adjustments from game to game, different teams doing different things. It becomes a chess match, which I love. Obviously, the viewership and tendance speaks for itself. And then, last but not least, we're having, you know, big time players show up and make big time plays or have big time games. I think Sabrina is an excellent example of that, you know, especially having like a not so great game three. She responded, and like, that's what you want to see in the playoffs, right, you want to see what players are made of. That's why I love the playoffs. You really get to see. As a player, you got to know what you were made of as a fan. Now as a spectator, I get to see what all these what all these younger players are made of, and you really can only know in the playoffs, and it's really been fun for me.
Speaker 1: Speaking of big moments and big games, Page Beckers led Yukon last year to the final four. She's turned back to Yukon with the goal of wanting to win a championship.
Speaker 2: Blue Blood to blue Blood.
Speaker 1: When it comes to Page, what advice would you give her as she enters, you know, her final year at Yukon. We know how much Yukon has been a winning program. Obviously you played there and led them to two Nashville Championships. But what advice would you give Page beckerds Man.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure there is much advice to give, you know. I think Page, she's now been in college for quite a while, so she knows, she knows what it is, you know. At this point, my only advice to her would be to trust her work, trust her preparation. I do think that Yukon it can be really hard, and I didn't have to deal with this. You're also playing for history, and sometimes that history, right like the winning history that is the University of Kannic, can can can be like a mental little bit of a mental hindrance. It can really get in your head, it can play with you. So for Paige, I would just try to, yeah, maybe have her continue to stay focused on this one year and emphasize that what happened before in Yukon history has nothing to do. Both good and bad has nothing to do. And you get to write your own story. You get to write your own history, and just to kind of take advantage of that moment, but she knows, she knows this is nothing new.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward to see what Page and the Yukon Huskies do this next season. Thank you so much Sue for joining us this week on In Case you missed It with Christina Williams.
Speaker 3: Oh my pleasure. Thanks for having me For.
Speaker 1: More about Sue, make sure you check out a touch more of the podcast weekly on YouTube, Apple, Spotify, and of course the iHeartRadio app coming up after the break. We have the Things that I Love this week more case you missed it with Christina Williams. When we return, welcome back to you and case you missed it with Christina Williams, and you already know what time it is. It's time for the things that I loved this week all weekend, I guess. On Sunday, I was able to go to my very first Gothup FC game. Whe everyone watches Women's Sports Night. It was super festive, celebrating, you know, the growth of women's sports. I was able to meet one of the co owners and also shout out is superb because she is also a co owner for Gotham FC. I think at the seventy minute mark of the match. Gotham FC just really turned it up. They scored four goals from the seventieth minim mark to the ninety and you know, I just have never been so excited for a soccer match than attending that game. So it was really good vibes and I'm happy that they won. They clinched home field advantage for the playoffs. I would like to think that I'm a little bit of good luck, but shout out to them. Another thing that I loved this week was on Monday, I was able to attend a live recording of All the Smoke. Shout out to Matt Barnes and Stack, my big bros in this industry. They had Larry Johnson, former Knicks player, NBA legend as a guest. It was good laughs, good vibes all around at grever Se. My friends and I went to the show and it was just great to see podcasting in like a different form. So I thoroughly enjoyed my night. And that's gonna do it for the things that I love this week. Also, of course, I'm gonna love the playoffs when the finals start tomorrow.
Speaker 2: But that's gonna do it.
Speaker 1: For this episode of In Case you miss It, with Christina Williams. Please don't forget to rate, review, and subscribe to the podcast, and coming up this week, we got my girl lage A Johnson coming through to the show. Also, please don't forget to look in the description box, follow us on all social medias, and also click the link to a Touch More with Sue Bird and Meghan Rappino the podcast series where you can find it weekly on YouTube, Apple, Spotify, and of course.
Speaker 2: The iHeart app. Peace Out.
Speaker 1: In case you missed it with Christina Williams is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you get your podcasts.