Speaker 1: On today's episode of The Command Center Podcast, we talk hall of Fame, Hall of Shame. There we go, that's it, and we got Patrick Mahomes and he the Goat kind of feels that way. And we talked about some nerdy cap space stuff, free agency, draft, how to build a team. And love is in the air. Guys. We got love letters to you and to these guys. Maybe check it out. Welcome into the Command Center Podcast. I'm Logan Paulson here with Santana Moss and Fred Smooth.
Speaker 2: I'm the cupid.
Speaker 1: Is it's Valentine's I.
Speaker 2: Come and spread up now.
Speaker 3: I don't really like the holiday because I think it's about commerce, and if you love your mate, I actually love you the three hundred and sixty four other days, right, not just one day to show my love. So I am you know, I'm with it. I play alone, but I don't think I is one of the holidays that I really get involved in. No chocolate, the balloons.
Speaker 4: But I think all the holidays about commerce, it's about money.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's a couple of days in there. Who can celebrate whatever day.
Speaker 4: But I'm thinking you think about it, the way they set up these things it's about them making some kind of it's about about making money, yeah, most definitely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Easter is that way same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you didn't just put Easter into money making to think about.
Speaker 1: Are there any rabbits with half yea all?
Speaker 2: Where did that come to think about?
Speaker 4: When you it's Christmas time and they already putting up hards in the grocery store talking about about the time dating around the cone.
Speaker 3: On the next comers you got new, you got New years after the is a comer's day, but then you got the fourth for July. I think there's comers. I think there's more about bringing people together.
Speaker 1: Memoir of your day.
Speaker 2: It might have been bad food, you like your birthday, not like the other day.
Speaker 1: Also, I wanted to ask you something real quick because Tanna was talking about this and I think this is I know we're getting a little sidetrack, Chason, that's my bat, but I gotta asked this question. Yeah, as we were talking about the Hall of Fame thing, you guys are talking about Devin Hester. Yeah, Tanna, I want to get your thoughts on the Devin Huster thing because it's it's really insightful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was all I was all for one, you know, universal guy right universe in Miam connections there, and I was like, you know, sooner or lady, he's gonna be a Hall of Famer just the numbers wise, but I.
Speaker 2: Didn't look into the numbers yea.
Speaker 4: And it was a friend of mine that just was kind of like pissed about other guys. Yeah, And he asked me weeks ago about some of the guys special teams, why who I thought should be in the Hall of Fame, and I, you know, I always bring up Being Mitch. Yeah, and he said, okay, Tanner, you like B Mitch and this particular guy likes B Mitch. Now go look up BE Mitch's numbers. And I looked up those numbers and I was like, oh.
Speaker 2: They're not even comparable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is incomparable? Because I think.
Speaker 3: His second to Jerry Rice and just all purpose.
Speaker 1: That is a that's crazy crazy.
Speaker 4: So when you look at be Mitch has like nineteen thousand yards and then like everybody else is like just they.
Speaker 2: Never it's never gonna be pixed hundred. It's never like that. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Really, But just to get back to the Devin Hester thing, Look, I'm one of those guys, when you do what you do, you deserve to be, you know, you.
Speaker 1: Deserve to have He was like he was like a phenomenon in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah he was.
Speaker 4: But the thing I would say about it just knowing that, yes, he's in there now, it's it's opening the doors for a lot of other guys that now have the opportunity because it's the numbers game.
Speaker 2: We've been heard that is for a long time. It's the numbers game.
Speaker 4: You talking about receiving, talking about dB, talking about tight whatever position it is.
Speaker 2: But one of the things that stood out to me just how many other guys have more numbers.
Speaker 4: They have been was beating everybody in touchdowns and when you look up the numbers, he's nowhere near a lot of them.
Speaker 2: It's about ten pros yards. Yes, yeah, yah, that's what I'm saying. Yards. So I'm all for you, and we in the house. We in there.
Speaker 4: But when you really look at the thing, it's gonna be a lot of guys now.
Speaker 1: Talking talking about like Cordell Patterson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, a lot of guys.
Speaker 4: I just I was blown away to hear the numbers from other guys like Cordell Patterson has ten kick returns for touchdown, six of them over one hundred yards.
Speaker 2: That's ridiculous, Like that is hard to do, you understand.
Speaker 4: And Devin Hester had more collective touch shutdowns. But when it came into yards, everybody else was in front of them.
Speaker 2: So I was like, wow, he's in there.
Speaker 3: I think they are taken into account. A lot of people kicked away from him, especially, said.
Speaker 2: That's the first thing I said.
Speaker 4: I said, yeah, but you gotta think and that's more part return wise, But I said, too, I think the excitement of how he.
Speaker 2: Did things, yeah, kind of gave him a knot.
Speaker 4: And what we talked about, it's a notoriety type of thing too, so popularity contest. So if guys there speak about me and I did it in the biggest game, then that gives me more of a nod. But then we go back to the star Wark and lynz One. Star Wark let the league, let the team and receiving yards every year and had more yards.
Speaker 2: Than linz One. Lyn Swan went in that way before star Wark and beating with the big plays. Yeah, it was always in the Super Bowl game.
Speaker 1: And we're talking about Devin Hester, but I really wanted to talk about you know, because I think that that was really interesting when you were talking about that.
Speaker 2: Bring the elephant in the room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about our guy in London?
Speaker 3: First of all, willis Mississippi old mintor old Miss, high character guy, one of the best linebackers of his generation.
Speaker 2: No, he's an old miss Rebels.
Speaker 1: Oh Miss said yeah, but.
Speaker 3: This dude should not be in there before London Fletcher. This way, I think is all wrong. I can't say how candy sports writers vote on Hall of Fame. Why not hall of famers vote on Hall of Fame? Because I know old Hall of famers would not leave be Mitch in London Fletcher out. They got too much respect for London played double the Tide, won a Super Bowl and did all his numbers compared to ray Lewis.
Speaker 2: What do ray lewis? I just saying be Mitch numbers compared to Jerry Roth. What are you thinking? But that just shows you too.
Speaker 4: It's like one of the things that we say it's a popularity thing. And then goes back to what Dion alluded to. If you're gonna put guys in there that, yeah, who deserve to be there, then the guys who more than deserve to be there, needs to be on different layers and the different tiersot Hall of Good shouldn't be just everybody we made it.
Speaker 2: It should be like now this his first first team Hall of Fame. Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Now you have to break it up in LA And I think when it's getting to the point that where now it seems like it's a free for all.
Speaker 2: Now everyone is getting numbers.
Speaker 3: You know if you if you a fantasy football darling, you're getting in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And I think like to think about like the one thing I will say about Devin Hester and Patrick Willis is Patrick Willis was like the linebacker of his era and then Hester was like his his return percentage for touchdown was like it's ridiculous. So, I mean there was a little bit different element there. But I think you guys bring up great points like the consistency that Fletcher played with, the consistency that be Mitch played with. Like there's value.
Speaker 2: And they got championship rings. You can't say they don't them to.
Speaker 4: Be Missss a guy that was used heavenly in the offense and with making plays in office. He just wanted back there coming in and he was coming in on third down him, Dave Maggi, Eric mckeff.
Speaker 3: Started the third down back all right, So yeah, did you leave your touch on the game? Yes, I did by the return game, by the third down beat and catching the ball out the backfield, so yes they did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just I think it just raised the eyebrow. And I know we don't want to get too far with this. Jason probably gonna be able to Jason to come out, but we gotta tell you, yours's one of those things that, like I said, when I heard the name, throw up to you, my boy, But then when I looked at the numbers, I'm.
Speaker 1: Like a little different.
Speaker 2: What's the rhyme and reason? Oh, they're gonna open the door for a lot now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so just reminder, we're brought to you by I Bet three six five. Yeah. At Bet three sixty five, we don't do ordinary. We believe every sports should be epic right now, New customers can choose between two offers when they open an account at Bet three sixty five. Use a QR code to sign up deposit ten and choose between either first bet safety that offer by placing a bet up to one thousand and if you're qualifying. Bet losers, you receive a match refunded bonus bets or bet and get offered bless you Jason, and place the bet of five dollars or more and get one hundred and fifteen bonus bets. Whatever the sport, whatever the moment, it's never ordinaryd by three six y five Official sports Betting Partner of the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 3: Must be twenty one plus physically located in Virginia.
Speaker 2: Please gamble responsibly.
Speaker 3: If you are someone you know has a gambling problem and won't help, call one eight hundred gambler, call free him. You know, I'm just chilling at out. Almo's wrong, man, I got a gambling problem. I'm coming to get you.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell you that, Joseph.
Speaker 1: All right, So obviously Hall of Fame was a big thing. We kind of talked about that real quick. But yeah, another big thing, man, was the Super Bowl game.
Speaker 3: Ayah.
Speaker 1: And I'm just gonna open it up to like high level thoughts to start, Teddy, do you want to start this song?
Speaker 2: You can start there. I love to start it off. It was a good game, yeah, a good game.
Speaker 4: It's everything, But it was a point in the game, and I leaned over to whoever was next to me and having their spirit. I was like, I'm loving this right now, but San France has to score. Yeah, because you distill a one possession game. And with the other guy who was that quarterback knowing him, I say, man, the second half he go, they go, they're gonna get together defensive in offense, they gonna get this thing together. Ass the Herbins scored, it might get ugger than the second half. And lord, I didn't know it was gonna come by somebody muffling a punt on their.
Speaker 2: Foot they hit.
Speaker 1: I probably hurt you a little bit.
Speaker 2: To me. I think that was just like the was a backbreak.
Speaker 4: It was the it was like there it is, yeah there the play was the next play they scored, and I'm like, it is right.
Speaker 3: Because they went three and out and when they punished their ball, it was taying to turn the game around. And that's what that's that's Patrick Mahomes is one of those lead to weapons where it doesn't matter what the situation holds. If he's your quarterback and I'm on his team, I don't think it's no point that I think we got the game.
Speaker 2: Like when they let him on the field for that lad drive like.
Speaker 4: I want to I want to play my I want to play my message I sent to my group chat.
Speaker 2: Can I play it on here?
Speaker 1: No, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he might have to murder. I'm gonna say you, I don't know what you.
Speaker 4: I didn't want to play it, bro because it would it bothered me because I was rooting for forty nine ers. But I also told hat I won't be mad.
Speaker 3: And then we then we had to choose, and I chose the Kansas Energy right again.
Speaker 1: It's after we talked that, I was talking to people and I was like, I want San fran to win, but I can't, like in good conscious pick against Patrick Mahomes because he's he's like such a unique player man, like his ability to elevate that offense like usually you see like it's it's such an interesting like thought experiment. San Francisco's off offense elevates Brock pretty Mahomes elevates Kansas City's offense. Everything he does right when you watch like it, and he does it in a different way than like the Mannings and the Brady's such the bar he does.
Speaker 3: It different than all he watered through there for twenty five d orts and I say.
Speaker 1: This over win is already time. You got it.
Speaker 4: It's ready, Jason, you know, and do what you do after this. But I know, I'm just letting you know, just do what you're doing when you hear it, because it might be a little I don't That's what I said. But this is how I feel outter the game is over, because I just was in disbelief, like, wow, man, they keep them them, keep Andy Reid and my homes together. Man, I don't matter who the team, what they record during the regular season, if they get to.
Speaker 3: Them, dude, they still knew the game.
Speaker 2: You know what, Let me let me speak on this. You look, you sound like you heard what you say.
Speaker 1: They cut off, cut the up.
Speaker 4: It might not make it, but because it was too much, it was first grade, it was too much for Jason probably beep out, but just to just to just to kind of chime in, give y'all a little bit of what I was saying. Basically, what I was saying was bro I never seen anything like Andy Reid and Pat Mahomes together. We talked about Belichick and Brady that it was specially with those guys because you saw just Belichick how his teams responded as every situation.
Speaker 2: Bro, don't get me wrong.
Speaker 4: That Kansas City defense has matured in the last few looked.
Speaker 2: They one of the best defensive.
Speaker 4: It was key plays that you can point out that this won the game for them. No display won the game defensively, this play won the game.
Speaker 2: This play a lockdown.
Speaker 4: But what I wanted to say about Andy Reid and Pat Mahomes won.
Speaker 2: Pat took over that game.
Speaker 4: He showed what Cam been talking about when it comes to being specially at the quarterback position and being being a game being a game manager or or a playmaker or.
Speaker 2: A game changer.
Speaker 4: Because Mahomes did that. He said on fourth and third and short or fourth and short, if it's not that I'm running, yeah, I'm taking off. And he did it, and he did it time and time again. He showed you that I got this game in my hands like it's not hard. It ain't I can't make the decision win or when not to be the guy. And he showed that, especially that last drive. But the reason why I brought that up because we talk about too we see so many offenses struggle trying to find the right play to move the ball.
Speaker 2: And Andy Reid has come up with the same stuff.
Speaker 4: And the reason he we we ran four weeks ago, dude, when he just know how to do it when it's time to do it.
Speaker 1: But it's crazy, like, because we talked about this on Tickets to the Draft podcast you're on there right, We talked about the quarterbacks and just how you need a player that elevates you, like it makes it so much easier because when you watch Kansas City's offense, it's not like every play is. It's not perfect.
Speaker 2: They not whooping with your peing out the time.
Speaker 1: They do a good job, but it's like it's him. He's the guy man, He's the playmaker. And so yeah, for me, it's like is he the goat? It kind of feels like he's welling his way, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It tastes like goat milk. It's probably goat milk. He's on his way. He drinks goat man. We can talk about his all day, but he's on his way. Yeah, No, he's on his way.
Speaker 3: And I knew the game was over when Jermaine the pre walked out there with them socks get out when he had had time when he had on them, Yo, Hunt, I knew it when you say this is Kansas City Game two win right there? And I hate the rubbing then because I know y'all Shanahan Knights. I know y'all Shanahan Knights. To today I was yet again, Oh.
Speaker 2: Boy, was yet so close but yet so far away? That hurts, right, Let's.
Speaker 1: Talk about that a little bit. So overtime. So the overtime thing, right, Overtime rules for the Super Bowl, yes, a little bit different than the regular season. What did you think about his decision to take the football to start it off?
Speaker 4: I wasn't mad at it. I wasn't mad at day. Can I say I didn't know the rules either? Yeah, I mean I know I had changed them ang time.
Speaker 2: They changed them after the Kansas City Again, I didn't know.
Speaker 4: I didn't and I guess too because I've been away from the game for like nine years playing wise, but even watching it, I didn't know that it was different rules pass and the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: I knew it over time.
Speaker 3: I mean, Tony roh want them start to talk about it doing the what's the name doing the Super Bowl?
Speaker 2: Like, hey, the rules are not the same.
Speaker 1: It's so funny because for whatever reason, on the TV I was watching on it was in Spanish the whole time, so I didn't get that that element. So I'm like, what are the rules, Like, are they changed wed you it? I was, I was just watching on normal cable and my father in law has the settings where it's like it only does the Spanish broadcast.
Speaker 2: You had a phil Model TV.
Speaker 1: The commercials are in English, the game is in Spanish, my god, and then sometimes the sideline report is in English. So obviously I don't understand you wacked.
Speaker 2: The game and Taco be No.
Speaker 1: I was at U's house and I was like, what are we watching those? And we couldn't fix it. So the whole time it was just like.
Speaker 3: So you basically watched us just seeing in span but.
Speaker 1: Hey, that's in English. So I didn't get the rules. So I'm trying to figure it out as I'm watching. I'm looking on my phone. But okay, let's talk about it. So the thing that I want to say about the colle shan any thing is if you take the ball first, I think you need to have the urgency to score a touchdo on regardless because your guy Patrick Mahomes is still there, but he's gonna score a touchdown. But that's I want to I want to talk about it. I want to talk about it. I want to get your thought.
Speaker 2: I was gonna I was gonna say, I feel you on that.
Speaker 4: But then who's to say, don't score the three points, don't go if you feel you gotta score. So at the end of the day, who to say our defense not going to just be on one and stop them, you know, because they basically had him, had him in a wrapt a couple of times, and he did what he do best.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna take off.
Speaker 1: But I think the other thing that gives you is like by So they interviewed both coaches, and Andy Reid's thought was, we're gonna get the ball, second, we're gonna go down, We're gonna score a touchdown, and we're gonna go for two. The thing that if you score a field goal and I know I need a touchdown, I'm going for every four done.
Speaker 2: Macau took cal credit credit.
Speaker 4: He was he expected them to score and he won't get into the third and you know the.
Speaker 2: Third time, that's the sudden depth rooms.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, So I mean, look, bro, at the end of the day. Damn if you do, Damn if you don't, there we go. Yeah, I looked at it. I mean, the man, they played the phenomenal game, and that's the thing. And I'm like, bro, like, who's to say they was going to score? Who's to say that them three points weren't gonna be all they needed? But it was just one of those games to where Mahomes just put itself on that ghost that is like, he goes, y'all want to see MJ.
Speaker 2: That's how MJ takeover games football football. Jason to Jay, did I not say that the score was gonna be twenty to sell? He said it's gonna win by field goal. He said it was gonna be a field goal game. Called it.
Speaker 3: I called it the numbers that I called I was so cl I was seventeen twenty eight.
Speaker 1: I know I was with if you guys listen to the Super Bowl predictions, go back and check that out. Leave it in the comments. We're in fact checking Fred. So thank you for helping us remember seventeen. We never know if Fred's time twenty.
Speaker 2: Seventeen, Kansas City is what I say. You said something similar that.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure what it was, but I know, we was going for San Fran and he said it's gonna be a field goal game with you know, sant Fran and I was like, twenty eight seventeen saning Frian. But bro, it was one of the games that I can say I truly enjoyed. I enjoyed watching every.
Speaker 2: Viewed Super Bowl of all time.
Speaker 3: They say plus seven percent, they say swis percent.
Speaker 2: Swift this. How y'all feel about this?
Speaker 1: I love it? Man. Like I saw something on Instagram the other day that I thought was that I thought was great. It was this little girl, she's probably eleven twelve years old. She's watching the game and the dad's like, you know what the tight endings? He's like, oh yeah, Like when is the tight end light up? She knows what's holding? She knows. She's like, uh, She's like, oh, that's a holding. She's like investment. And it's a whole generation of people, a whole demographic of people that are getting to share in this game that we love and I don't because of Taylor Swift. Great, bring more people to the party. Because I love football. I think it's awesome, So it doesn't bother me at all.
Speaker 3: Hey, listen, I loved when my guy kissed her and swung her around.
Speaker 2: It's the coffiti I might not say to go down.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: All I'm saying is I enjoy it. I don't care why you came to the game.
Speaker 2: I'm just happy you did.
Speaker 4: Absolutely I wasn't. I wasn't tripping on with these and who who brought what I just said. Look, at the end of the day, man, it's one of those games that you want to be able to share that kind of atmosphere or that that entertainment with your family.
Speaker 2: But it's a super Bowl.
Speaker 4: And then not only that when you have man, hats off to jay Z or whoever's you know a part of getting those halftime shows to be what they are now because man, I never anticipated halftime shows the way I'm doing now.
Speaker 2: We go the history of the halftime show. Whole thing started with that.
Speaker 3: So we got to think Keevi and AA Wayne because they the comedy show Sketch Show did a super Bowl show and thirty.
Speaker 2: Million people went to watch it.
Speaker 3: Really in the super Bowl like we need to do our own show, and that's how the show.
Speaker 4: But I'm just talking about far as even if you think about when they started because we can can we can go back to Michael Jackson to print all those guys who will have some terrible Now you know this this era were in now with jay Z being a part of it, it seems like he's picking the right people to trying to go out there.
Speaker 2: Like you know Rihanna, she she was great last year. A little low in there. I'm just saying she was pregnant.
Speaker 4: I mean doctor Drake two years ago was fabulous, like but usher just she was out there.
Speaker 2: Swearing like mafter you us had me like.
Speaker 3: I want to go watch user concert because I know he on the sure thing came to my head when he started skating. I said, Tamna, probably.
Speaker 1: To go skating right.
Speaker 2: Down, you know, I like to skate.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: But did he look He looks like he had an age today.
Speaker 4: Now yeah, but I'm saying like I'm just saying, if you dance, he fred had to go out there and do that.
Speaker 2: I could.
Speaker 1: He is laying on the ground after the after.
Speaker 2: The first, give me the first little.
Speaker 1: Side, He's on the ground.
Speaker 2: Oh loud.
Speaker 1: So the fact that he's forty four or whatever, it is just crush.
Speaker 3: He's also doing a residency in Vegas. So he's been he's been doing this four days a week.
Speaker 1: He's got a saminough, he's hit. He's good. Yeah, he's been on that bike.
Speaker 2: You know where us he took the shit out. He wanted to to work.
Speaker 4: Man, I'm right right here. I did looking good over.
Speaker 3: What made me lad? When he went through on the black panther had the hell and I say, did you know your damn man?
Speaker 2: Oh man?
Speaker 1: All right, just reminder, we're brought to you by Bet three six five. At Bet three six five, we don't do ordinary. We believe every sports should be epic. That's why we offer an NFL Early PAYODO offer. Get your straight bets pet out or early Parlot parlat selections marked his winner when your team goes up by seventeen points, regardless of whether the PoTA comes back to win the game. Our NFL Early payod offers hit over fifty two times this season. Use the QR code to sign up and see for yourself why it's never ordinary. I Bet three sixty five, official sports betting partner of the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 4: Must be twenty one and older and physically located in Virginia. Please got them responsibly if you are someone you know has a gambling problem and wants helped call Fred at once time.
Speaker 3: Hey, the bad point that somebody seeing me a picture of the I seen it on the internet where they had a picture of being still up when he was on dodgeball at the Purple and they had us and Luther Christ.
Speaker 2: Lutherizoon was funnier than everybody had to show the passing. It all worked. I'm gonna tell you what I really did want more. I wanted just tab me more. A little Joe don't want to.
Speaker 4: Join on the rocket party. Listen he was in.
Speaker 2: I was like, I wonder, I wonder.
Speaker 1: If the young people feel that way, because like anytime you hear a little John, you're like, oh yeah, but I knew.
Speaker 4: Look. I was sitting there saying to myself, this is great for little John because I'm pretty sure a lot of other people know little John John been doing. John is all of the people who hear the music and not see the put the face with the music, like.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's the guy that's on that apple.
Speaker 4: Because a lot of young folks don't know the faces. They hear the music and they like because they went around that time. Now they can look at it like, oh, I saw him on another you know, a song, or I heard him on another song.
Speaker 3: So things I heard was shot shot shot oh.
Speaker 1: Helm. Okay, so free agency is coming up, yes, And a lot of fans have been asking me, oh, we got all this salary cap. We got the most salary cap in the NFL. Right, yeah, And I just thought today and Jason thought today would be a good day to talk about the salary.
Speaker 2: Let's spend some money.
Speaker 1: Let's spend some money, Let's spend a lot of people say that, but I don't think people understand like what's.
Speaker 2: Going on, and it's up to us to explain it.
Speaker 1: So I'm going to read some numbers. Right, So the commanders, right now, we have seventy three million dollars seventy three point six million dollars in cap space. Effective cap space, which is a different number, is twenty sixty teen point five. Okay. Compare that to the Titans. The Titans have sixty five point seven, so they have more effective cap space.
Speaker 2: So why is that because they got less of a rasta than we do.
Speaker 1: They actually have more guys.
Speaker 2: Physically on the roster. But I'm saying, hi, end guy, right, we got So.
Speaker 1: What's going on here is your cap space number is correlated to total rosters. They ask to be fifty one guys on the roster for your total cap space number to be working. Right now, this effective cap space number doesn't apply to the commanders because they're anticipating we need to sign six guys because we only have forty five, only forty five guys on the roster right of last year's roster, Twenty six of those guys are free agents, right, so that number is going to come down on right.
Speaker 2: Drafted half a team, you can make a whole.
Speaker 1: Team, drastic, you get to make a whole team, that's right. So we got a lot of people that need to come back. So I've heard a lot of fans. Jason's dad was telling me this the other day. You've got to get after I got to sign everybody signed to all the best free agents. So I just went online last night because I'm a nerd. You know. It was like eleven o'clock. I almost sexed. I almost texted Fred free what you do? But I did because Fred was going to make fun of me, So I didn't do that. So I texted Jason as set basically what I did is. I went through and I resigned all the free agent on our team, all to all twenty six guys, like just resigned them to rosters. So like, so Cam Camp, yeah, it's fourteen point seven million dollar contract was what they online and kind of anticipated was gonna get Kendall Fuller was about fourteen or thirteen point nine. Right, went through, and then I assigned basically like two million dollar value for like Cody Barton just because you need that linebacker.
Speaker 2: Adam for just the year money.
Speaker 1: So that's that's that's the annual value of the contract.
Speaker 2: Yeah, got so worried about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so for Cam as an example, he's probably going to sign something in the realm of like it'll be like fifty forty years, fifty million something like that, right approximate. So I just went down and did that, and I was trying to try to be conservative. And then for the defensive end spot, I said, Genevian clown County signed for seven and a half million last year. If we get a guy like that kind of has a veteran stop gap that d maybe Yeah, So I even did that, But Hassan reddicks cap numbers and just malate a Camp number next year sixty million dollars. So just so I was really conservative to start the number that I came out with. Do you want to guess what it was? Tell me one hundred and seven million dollars. So you open the cap over the cap, just resigning the guys that we had. Now, there's rules here, So let me just explain one really important rule. There's the fifty one man rule in a salary cap, and basically it takes your fifty one top salaries and those are the only numbers that count against the cap. Yeah right, So for example, like if we've had ninety guys on the roster, those bottom forty guys, yeah don't or thirty nine guys, yeah don't count. So training camp word yeah yeah. So but again, so if I sign somebody to a ten million dollar deal and I bump out a two million dollar deal, that two million dollar deal doesn't count against the cap. So I didn't do that, right, And they have other rules or you can get like me, yeah yeah, wiggle room, yeah, wigga room. But there's also guys that like veteran EXEPT contract yeah right, where it's like I'm signing a veteran contract, but he's.
Speaker 2: Not gonna cout against his cap, correct.
Speaker 1: So there are ways around some of that stuff. Yeah, but I just want fans to hear that that if we just resigned the guys that aren't on the team.
Speaker 2: It's a whole lot of money.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of money.
Speaker 3: I want the fan to think about it, like the Uncle Sam just gave you one hundred dollars?
Speaker 2: How much do you owe Uncle Saint? Right, so you ain't really got one hundred dollars, you understand it. You stay in Nordon, Virginia.
Speaker 3: You got sixty dollars, like you understand where are you at?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So obviously we can resign. You know, I think the big contracts were Curtis Samuel was eleven million dollars, Kendall Fuller was fourteen, and Cam Curll was fourteen. So there's moves and money to be allocated to big veteran players, right, But it's just about where you want to allocate that money. So for me, I'll ask you guys this, Yeah, how do we effectively allocate this cap money? Like what's the goal? Obviously we got to resign the depth, but after that, where we think we want to put put those resources.
Speaker 4: I want to ask you a question though, two, because this is something that I've been pondering and ever since we was going to brain this up. I was thinking about it the other day and I'm gonna ask you because I feel like you have a lot of knowledge on it.
Speaker 2: If I signed one of those guys, the.
Speaker 4: Kendall Fullers, let's say, you know, let's say Curtis Sammy for the eleven million, and I'm actually this because i feel like this was done to me a couple of times.
Speaker 2: If my cap hate has worth.
Speaker 4: Eleven million, but I'm not giving him that. Who eleven that first year.
Speaker 2: They giving me seven? They giving me seven, So some of that on the back end if one is count Well.
Speaker 3: The thing about it is the seven become hard cap, the risk becomes salary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's the thing.
Speaker 2: So but I'm actioning does it affect my cash?
Speaker 1: So this is the yearly number. So basically what this number would include is like signing bonus, so like yours. Let's say, let's just take an easy number. So you're signing. Your signing bonus is ten million dollars. Yeah, your base salaries too, Okay, the total value of that contract for two years is what is that fourteen million dollars over the two years. The signing bonus, you would get that this next year in twenty twenty four, right, Yeah, but it gets pro rated over the life of the deal. So basically they give you the way the team bills it is five million twenty twenty four, five million twenty twenty five. So in addition to this effective cap space number and money that we need to allocate somewhere, we have dead cap, right, which comes from contracts that are no longer on the books, but we're still paying salary cap to those guys. They're still still paying signing bonus for those guys. That makes sense. So that's how they proaate the deal. So you see it like another thing they could do in terms of restructuring the cap is, let's say we've got drawn payin right, we give him a signing bonus, we extend the length of his deal, and all of a sudden his number goes way down, and all of a sudden we have more effective captain.
Speaker 4: I understand all that, but I was actioning the reason why I brought that up because this happened to me a couple of times, particularly here when I first got here. My signing bonus was like, you know, okay, you don't want that now, my agent, you don't want that. He's like, bro, you don't want all that money now, but that's going to be a bigger hit for you two and for the team. So we're going to push a lot of this through over the year of your contract.
Speaker 2: So what I was action because I didn't look at it. Then does it affect the cap?
Speaker 1: It does affect the cap, but it can affect differently.
Speaker 4: So let's say, for example, so if that number was push and made me get less upfront, do I still get hit for the Do we still look.
Speaker 2: At that as eleven million? Or we look at it given that three whatever solid chicky is that year?
Speaker 4: That's answer. My question is, so, so it's not going to be there unless they.
Speaker 2: Can defer it.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's pro rated.
Speaker 2: It's not deferred.
Speaker 1: It's pro rated, right. So like let's say you got the ten million dollars right, the ten million dollars check, you would get that deferred over here. And so what they some people do is they get their salary backloaded right to help the team out, because that again, that effects So I think who did that? John Allen did that right, You probably did it too. You're backloaded contract. You still get signing bonus the same amount of the course the deal, but your salary is higher in the back end because you're.
Speaker 4: You're you're getting that sign of bones with yourself and it's guaranteed because they didn't push to correct.
Speaker 1: So that's the one way to do it. But so in terms of resources here understanding that kind of really complicated landscape positions, you guys think we need to identify in this draft in free agency, in the in in free agency, and then how does that affect the draft?
Speaker 3: Bacon Bacon, Oh, I want bag boys, I want three hundred pounds, Like, because you got to ask yourself, free agency, what are you getting the free agents? I'm getting somebody that already know what they bring in to the table. I'm getting somebody. I'm getting you at the probably at the peak of your powers right now, and I'm getting you to solidify something like I don't go to free agents to get ifs. I think that's what we've made mistakes at too much. Like for instance, y'all brought it up. We signed cart Curtis Samuel. I was then say no because I have two guys. I would say I was ready to give Michael Pittman that money. Michael Pittment bigger. I real to get t Higgins that money. Tiggins might get too much money, he might be out. But offensive lineman and defensive linemen ain't no ifs what with these guys. You get what you paid for. You can get a donov A Smith from Kansas City. You can get whatever you want. You can find in free agents. But like they say, you don't want to spend all of your money in free agent because we do got that period after the draft where a lot of veterans get let go host draft and you can get them for better deals. So I one of those people. Give me big boys, give me big boys, because I think this is where we got to build this team at Trich.
Speaker 4: Well also you're right, well, also you also can get guys that's just going to solidify those different position groups, you know what I mean, Like you know, not necessarily always big boys. You can get a corner or safe. You can keep it safety that we have Cam Curb, bring Cam Curb back, I think, but then bringing the Cale Doug or bringing us Stephan Gilmore as corner. Somebody who's a veteran if you're not gonna keep you know, your boy fuller, you know what I mean. So stuff like that, I think it's great to put key guys, veteran guys in those positions too, because now you're getting leaders for that core for that position group, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And then you can say, Okay.
Speaker 4: I can get one or two guys, the baking guys you call it the offensive line defensive line wise, and then I can build a draft out with a lot of the guys who has a higher ceiling. He's gonna probably be be here a longer time, expensive and be here longer, you know what I mean. So it's either or have you want to do it? But like I feel like it's no rhyme or reason to it. I just feel like you gotta know what you get and how you're trying to wait, what you're trying to accompliss this year?
Speaker 2: Yeah, year one, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: With all this cap space, with all these you know, this capital awarded to you, where you're trying to go with this team, are you trying to say, Okay, we already said we recalibrating. We're not trying to rebuild. So when we recalibate, do we recalibrate with more veteran leadership in the free agency or we go get those guys who younger, who's going to be able to play right now?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know most of those guys coming in ready. So you want to know, can we go get one of two or three guys that we don't have to pay that much for that can play right now and change that whole position?
Speaker 3: Well, guess what everybody gonna say, pass rush lost both our pass rushers?
Speaker 2: You not have one or two guys already here?
Speaker 3: Well, you do got kJ hearing guys like that, But you know, do we talking about a different defensive coordinator might got a.
Speaker 2: Different whole thing the way he do things?
Speaker 3: Bring up we might go in from an even front to an odd front.
Speaker 2: This is everything. And then you.
Speaker 3: Got guys like like Josh Allen from the jag Jaguars from the pass.
Speaker 1: Rush at franchise take but here it's a free agents.
Speaker 3: The Brian Burns from Carolina who they probably won't resign him because they they rock bottom round you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you.
Speaker 3: Guys, the Neil Hunter another guy like so you got to exk yourself how much do we allocate to the pass rush?
Speaker 2: How do how much do we allocate to protection? Them? Matter two things. Protection and pass rush is what I care about.
Speaker 1: And I think just based on Adam's history, Dan's history, you know, former D line coach, I think he does think there's a lot of value and defensive line. But just to kind of give some context about what you need, right, obviously, Curtis Samuel is a free agent, right, you need kind of a contributing third wide receiver. This wide receiver class extremely deep I can get right, right, So maybe you don't need to maybe save some money there. Right, You got Kendall Fuller start, so you need a starting corner, That's what I'm saying. So maybe a guy develops from within like you're saying, or you gotta I think you probably gotta pay somebody in that way.
Speaker 2: You still got saying juice on the contract. You got your first.
Speaker 4: Round in that you try you need a veteran to lead those guys. Juice ain't ready to lead those now you verbally not ready to lead. And that's why I think you.
Speaker 2: Got to look full of bago you bringing that a guy like I just.
Speaker 3: Spoke, Are you put take in with a great a new safety, got safety from Buffalo or something like that that you bring into a room to protect those corners.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you need a starting safety. And so Kyle Duggar is a name of him that's out there. He's probably gonna get about fifty five years this year, right, A lot of money to be allocated there. It just seems like that's a weak thing in the draft class this year. So Antonio Gibson third down back. A lot of those guys in the draft class probably not gonna pay that guy. Swing tackle Cornelius Lucas. But then I think the other starters you need is you need two. You need a starting middle linebacker because Cody Barton is a free agent, right, so does someone develop internally? I feel like you need to go get somebody or the draft. But drafting linebackers is tough because it takes them three or four years to.
Speaker 2: Really get rolled and need a head busting wigs blitter yep.
Speaker 1: And then you need two, two starting caliber defensive ends. And I'm just saying the salard for one of those guys gonna be about seven million dollars. So you could draft an edge and maybe you sign one, right, I think you try to resign both Casey and James. I think that's important just for depth, because think about it, you need about eight guys to play that.
Speaker 3: Can you not go get a guy? And luckily we got this working with us with the.
Speaker 2: Line back of market. It's not a market.
Speaker 3: It's similar to the safety market where you're not just paying these guys two hundred million dollars.
Speaker 1: So I can go to the top of the class. Like what was that last year or two years ago where Chicago paid the guy from Buffalo. Yeah, and it was like eighty MILLI yeah, it was a lot of money. So if you're not the top guy to your point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think I can go. I can do a deal with a Patrick McQueen.
Speaker 2: And that's a plug and play chair.
Speaker 3: A player has played play off ball, they bring something to the til.
Speaker 1: Who's the guy from from Tampa Bay, Devin White? So I looked up his number. We're looking at like ten and a half eleven million dollars. It's it's a lot of money. But again, like you got to take that from someplace else if you're gonna take.
Speaker 3: Them from Cody Barton, which he was giving him his two now I'm paying him eight that's a hell of an upgrade.
Speaker 1: And Cody was making three and a half last year, just yeah, six and a half. Yeah, So that's a good point. And also so then you got depth pieces back up quarterback, linebackers, you know, those types of guys that fill out rookies would be perfect for that. And then you just starting kicker. And the salary for starting kickers about five million dollars. So those are all things that are on the shopping list that kick.
Speaker 2: Here's a free agent, kick him in a Joey slash.
Speaker 1: So I think there's I think what I come out of this exercise thinking about is you got to be smart. You got to say where's the talent and free agency because we probably need some dresher depth. So we go go in there linebacker. I think it's a good spot because someone else has broken that guy in. You know what I'm saying. Someone else is.
Speaker 2: Basically the two guys I want McQueen White.
Speaker 1: I think, And I think Queen would be a little bit more than White because he was awesome this last year in Baltimore. I think he's probably in that twelve thirteen million dollars year range. But there's value there to your defense, especially you know a guy like dan Quin who understands the value linebacker. But then like receivers, running backs pretty deep for the areas we need. So it's about allocating that that stuff there. The other thing I want to ask you about is benefits of drafting a quarterback for the free agent market, for the salary cap.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, oh you got years. They have a really cheap let's be honest.
Speaker 4: Three they have, they have a cop Yeah yeah, come off, if you're draft them, think about this.
Speaker 2: And I know y'all gonna lose your mind.
Speaker 3: Dallas might have to pay Dak Prescott fifty.
Speaker 2: Five million a year. Do y'all understand that they know who he is?
Speaker 3: They know what he is, but they tell you it's just like a quarterback can't hold you hostage because it's just not a lot.
Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 3: I have watched Kirk Cousin. He's my favorite account of in the league.
Speaker 2: I have Listen.
Speaker 3: I have watched Kirk Cousin know his value regardless of what everybody say to him.
Speaker 2: He understands his value.
Speaker 3: So getting a quarterback that you're probably gonna play five years fifty million?
Speaker 2: Right with Ricky the top three.
Speaker 3: You got him and you get to see is he your guy for the future? And he allows you to overpay a number one receiver like we had with Terry. He allows you to get a tight end if that's what you need. He allows you to find protection for him and get pieces around him before you have to pay him.
Speaker 1: We talked about on the Ticket to the Draft podcast, basically saying that the best player in the draft, best evaluation is Marvin Harrison Junior. Would you take him over a quarterback because he could? But for me, the answer is probably not. Again the impact of now that quarterback in place already, Yeah you would, right, But I'm saying, like the value to Freend's point, the value of getting a quarterback on a rookie deal for five years is way more valuable than a receiving a received deal because it allows you, like, look what I think san Fran you you mentioned this, I think, right or Tanny is the best team? Right, was saying that we.
Speaker 3: Were talking about it earlier. Yeah, the best team was San Fran. The best players with San Fran. The best team was Kansas City because they had the best player.
Speaker 1: And the reason they're able to do that is because they got a quarterback on a rookie deal, they can go out and sign the hard grave. Then everybody right, And I think that's something that you look at and you say, oh, all right, that's a good way to kind of build the team, build the roster. Last question, real quick, any free agents specifically you'd like to see. You mentioned the linebackers, tan, any receivers you'd like to see, Any running backs, any anybody? You're like, man, this name.
Speaker 4: You know, y'all talk to me about offense, and I'm always looking at the opposite side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want.
Speaker 4: That veteran corner. You're not going to bring full back I want. I want Gilmore. I think Gilmore played in his defense. He's gonna be He's gonna be on the blocks. Go ahead and go get him, bring him. Leadership is gonna go through the roof. That's if you're not bringing back Fuller. Now I'm a big fan of Fuller, so he if you're gonna bring back Fuller, then we got that leadership again. But just from a guy who knows his offense, I mean knows his defense. Well, you know, the coaching staff both with and and your man Quinn knows what they're gonna get out of him and what he's gonna do to that room. I would bring a guy like Gilmore in without even thinking about it, you know what I mean, Bring him in.
Speaker 2: He just makes your room that much better.
Speaker 4: And you have a couple of guys who I think that's gonna be deveilup is having that guy.
Speaker 3: So I want to make sure that when I got this young quarterback by defensive staff so they can carry us through some tight games and some losses.
Speaker 2: And for me to do that, I need to go get ug and play guys.
Speaker 3: So I wouldn't be afraid to offer Brian Burns to see where he's at. I think he's a legit pass rusher who just starting to scratch the surface.
Speaker 2: McQueen and White will be like, I might want to get to them before I get the pass rushing.
Speaker 3: That's how bad I want a middle linebacker, like I think the middle linebacker. Look at the teams that were the last Pro team in the playoffs, they all had great middle linebackers, Like they all have great middle linebackers, but nobody want to get a middle linebacker the props that he used to get. So McQueen and Devin White out of guys I'm trying to get, and now I can get Brian Burns. I got me at least one pass rusher with those two big boys in the middle. Solidified my d line right there off of my linebackers. When I got McQueen and I set him next to Jamie Davis, solidified. Now I still got my first round people from last year. I still got Saint Juice.
Speaker 2: Hopefully, I still got Cam Curroll.
Speaker 3: Now you're talking about add them to the delectables veterans to defensive backfield and all.
Speaker 2: You know, now we got a defense. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so just to give you some numbers, that that defensive end Burns deal is probably about twenty million dollars, the linebacker Queen is probably fifteen million. Yeah, safety is probably fifteen corners. So we're getting a little pricey there on that side of the football, because think about it, that's about sixty million bucks.
Speaker 3: You remember what I did in the draft early, I drafted what I'll fit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I drafted tight end.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. Yeah, and that's the what's the ticket of the Draft podcast? Yes, yes, and it's coming out on Friday. So Fred has some good insight there all right, So this segment, which is called love Letters, is presented by Northwest Federal Credit. You made the official credit union. Have the Washington commanders stop searching, go Northwest. Checkout NWFCU dot org slash Washington to see how easy it is to join and how Northwest can help make your money work for you. Stop by a branch or visit NWFCU dot org slash Washington today. Okay, so this is love letters, guys, and it's Valentine's Day. We have been very romantic. We talked a little bit about, you know, we money. Valentine's not a romantic thing. Talked about the Super Bowl saying we talked about it snubbed, which I guess is kind of a romantic thing. Right. Put, So this is a love letter to anybody, Yes, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm gonna do my love letter to the fans. Okay, first of all, I guess she read my love letter.
Speaker 3: I just want to say, fans, thank y'all for being with us through the dark times. And me and Santana had a lot to do with those times. So did Logan and y'all was still there. I remember going to Fedexen it was still crunked. No matter what it was from wed and six, it didn't matter.
Speaker 2: Y'all showed up. And this is what love.
Speaker 3: The true test of love is what are you gonna do when things are not going good?
Speaker 2: But this is what I want y'all to do.
Speaker 3: Fans, I want you all to break y'all love with the past because it's all about the new in the future. Now we're new ownership, new head coach. We're got to have a new quarterback, new new, new new. So don't bring that bad energy, don't bring that cloud from years ago, don't bring that cloud from old football team. Don't bring none of it. Let's turn this page and let's make this relationship better. It's finally time for us to beat the couple that everybody looking at. It's my time for us to be chilling and everybody want to be Tramp and tay Tate.
Speaker 1: We need to be that.
Speaker 2: We need to be that. So all I'm saying, Fan, I love you.
Speaker 1: There we go. That's very nic like that. Fred, that's pretty good.
Speaker 4: Valentine, mine's gonna be so so short and sweet. Let's gonna get right to the point. This is for the fans too.
Speaker 1: Look at r and.
Speaker 4: Give it to roses are red, violins are blue. There fans, y'all so so much love for eighty nine. I guess what eighty nine loves you.
Speaker 2: Talks is a blue And we used to be name Red, my name Fred.
Speaker 1: That's ridding. So yes, this fans. Obviously, we're very grateful the fans of this show specifically, and we love you guys very much all the support you give. But I'm gonna say my love letter to you guys. It is so fun doing this show with you guys every single week. And Fred Fred are always busting my balls, but I love it. It makes me laugh and Tanna, you've taught me how to be cool. And I think about those shoes. I wore those shoes out the other day. You buy me. It's almost like, man, you got some swag, dude. I was like, just because of these guys, so we didn't.
Speaker 2: We got you, Jay Walk, We got you all over the place.
Speaker 1: I'm turning into a new man hanging out with you guys, and I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: The next thing we're gonna do now that we got your shoes, we gotta change of clothes, Like we're gonna change your clothes now.
Speaker 2: Red is good O Mamitanda. But we're gonna we're gonna have to take you shopping one day.
Speaker 3: Maybe Yeah, food, Rhino, I've been wigged.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were looking for shirts, they got any shirts and wigged son.
Speaker 1: All right, I think that's gonna do it for today's show. Thanks so much for joining and liking to subscribe wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: We are brought to you by Bet three sixty five. At BET three sixty five, we don't do ordinary. We believe every sport should be epic.
Speaker 4: That's why we offer an endgame experience which covers over seventy eight sports and seven hundred and eighty live streams two ninety million customers worldwide.
Speaker 2: Our online betting brand.
Speaker 4: Is powered by a world class proprietary product and over seven thousand employees across the globe.
Speaker 2: Whatever sport, whatever the moment, it's never ordinary.
Speaker 4: At Bet three sixty five, the official sports betting partner of the Washington Commanders must be twenty one plus and physically located in Virginia. Please gamble responsibilit If you or someone know has a gambling problem and wants helped, call one eight hundred Gambler.
Speaker 1: The views and opinions expressed by our podcast guests and our hosts are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of the Washington Commanders or any of their representatives.