Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises, SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on.
Speaker 3: These are our stories, done done.
Speaker 2: Yay, that's messed up. An SVU podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm Lee as a Trigger and I'm Kara Klank And every week it's SVU recaps, it's true crime deep dives, and it's interviews with fascinating guests. And we're on swapped coasts today. You're on the West and I'm on the East.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean I'm coming off of a dream situation from Lahoya.
Speaker 4: Thanks everyone. That club is fun.
Speaker 2: It's a really fun club. They don't serve food. It's like awesome. People are just drinking and having some popcorn and it does and everyone's just rich and hot and tan and cool and athletic, so they're like ready to giggle.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Outside of the show's been great things for everyone that came. Obviously, thank you for my heated rivalry themed gifts obviously, and you know this week was they're back. They're back to working on season two. So to those who celebrate and to your family's congratulations, Okay, So this guy, Josh Ocean Thomas opened for me and he's from La Joya, like his family has lived there since nineteen fourteen. Whoa so, and his summer job was doing the kayak tours and he's a surfer and he goes to the beach every single day. His dad lives like a beach bum on the surf shacks. So anyways, I was in the caves. I was next to sea lions. It's pop season. I saw baby seals, I saw pelicans. I stood in the water as a leopard shark swam around us.
Speaker 4: I mean, I could not believe it.
Speaker 2: There was just like an alpha male sea lion floating next to a kayak. They call him Bruce, and like, I just could not believe it. I could not believe it.
Speaker 1: And then I was about to go did you see the sea lions? And then you went right into it. You really got up close and perstal.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. Yeah, So we were in the caves.
Speaker 2: They like go up on the rocks during high tide and kind of lounge there all day.
Speaker 4: So wait, are you bending their necks in a boat? Are you swimming? What are you? Where are you?
Speaker 2: So I'm in a kayak we were in a double kayak, but I got to go in the water for the sharks and in the caves. He let me like jump out to which you can't do on official tours. But like he's truly like shoeless, driving me around in a golf cart everywhere. Like we went to this cool fish market, El Pescador, I think it's called or Pesca whatever. It was so good I went back the next day alone, like it was delicious. Line out the door, we don't wait in line. Him and his dad, he's been coming there since he was a kid. Everywhere we went like someone. We went to this bar called The Shot. It's like I felt like I was in an episode of Laguna Beach. Like everyone was just like young fit and like I played pool. But the girl when I checked out, she goes, I'll give you the industry discounts, since you know Josh fifty percent off everything, Like everywhere we went, no lines, no nothing, He's driving me around in a golf cart.
Speaker 4: I mean, I couldn't believe it. I was like, bro, everyone's gonna want you to open.
Speaker 2: And then the last night he had, you know, plans with his own friends. He's like so much younger than me, but I was He's like, I'll give you one more scenic route on the golf cart before I drop you off.
Speaker 4: And I was like, thank you, that is what I want.
Speaker 2: And we went and it's like all the seals and sea lions sleep on shore because of sharks, and so I saw hundreds of them and hundreds of these like little birds sleeping straight up. But then like the sea lions hit the sidewalks and the walking paths because only one alpha male can like sleep there at a time. One had cones around him, so like We're walking on the sidewalk, and I'm like, am I imagining things? Are those sea lions up there? And they're just like lounging where they're Like I couldn't. I couldn't. I was truly crying. And then I also went to the Museum of Contemporary Art here, which Alicia Keys and Swiss Beats just purchased and like made you know, a huge and like it's like a lot bigger. But there Brooklyn. They did a show in Brooklyn called Giants and it's their personal collection and I happened to be here on the last day of the exhibit and it was a free day, like the second Sundays are free days. So I got to see the most incredible collection. I cried twice, bought a book, found new artists, like took amazing photos and it was just awesome. Yeah, Derek Adams my new favorite. And then this guy from Botswana. There was a Nina Chanelle Abne. Obviously Amy shared and like it was.
Speaker 4: It was nuts. It was nuts.
Speaker 2: It was really and you see the ocean like from the museum and so that's like really cool. I don't know, it's been so great. I would say, la Joia, amazing, Cleveland. You got a lot to live up to. So I'll be in Cleveland this weekend, so please step it up. I'll be there. Oh my god, I hope the woman the suit, Oh my god, I should DM them. Remember the fudge that we were gifted when we were in Cleveland.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. Yes, the candy there that was so long.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. It was Friedo's cover. They asked dark for milk. I'm glad we said milk and it was milk chocolate covered fucking Freedo's.
Speaker 4: They were so good.
Speaker 2: I have to DM them. I have to do it. There we go, Susan L. Chocolates here. Yes, I'm dming right now. You coming, Yeah, amazing, get in there.
Speaker 1: I saw Natasha Beddingfield and oh god, yes, it was so fun.
Speaker 4: Shout out to the listener. I ran into Abby.
Speaker 1: I saw a one Tommy at the golf course in Vermont, which was not expected, but it was really fun. I don't really have anything. I don't really have anything specific to report about it. It was just like fun. Everybody was living their millennial dreams with Natasha Beddingfield singing her hits. She opened with the song that she sings with Sean Kingston, which was an interesting choice because obviously Sean Kingston was not there. But it was really fun. I had a blast. And there's another concert happening like tomorrow. It's the Revivalists.
Speaker 4: I don't know them.
Speaker 1: I think they're like, are you like more folky? I might because my kids kind of like it. But Jared's a real stickler on the kids getting to bed on time, and I'm trying to be like fun summer mom and he's like not letting it happen, and it's really annoying. But then Rosie did yesterday feel really run down and had to take a nap. Which she never does, so maybe I am to blame for making her party too much. But their cousins are here right now with my sister in law, My parents are here, my sister's here with her husband. It's like a whole family affair here in Vermont right now. But then everybody leaves tomorrow going to Burlington for part of the day. I'm going to be in like Champlaine, and I'm so excited because it's so beautiful.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's beautiful. Yeah, And I was told about the ocean. There's only like one week in the summer where the ocean is warm and calm, and I happened.
Speaker 4: To be there in Laoya. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I swam in San Diego, the San Diego area one time where it was warm, but it was like the beach was like a bay, so it was kind of not like full ocean waves. Took my kids to Rhode Island a couple of weeks ago. Weekends ago, Rhode Islands.
Speaker 4: Did you do any Did you go to pizza Mama?
Speaker 1: And I wanted to, but I had my kids and I was like visiting my friend.
Speaker 4: It was a quick trip. It was like we got there late Friday and we left. On Sunday, we went to the zoo. They had a.
Speaker 1: Copy barra, huge, huge for as I would say right now, copy Barras with children are like you know how there is always like it used to be sloths, like around one Rosy was born, sloths were like everything. Then it became axe Lotel's because of my and.
Speaker 2: I would say unicorns, but those are maybe consistent and they're not real.
Speaker 1: But like, yeah, yeah, there was definite a unicorn moment. No unicorns are massive, obviously Oscar has a ton of unicorns stuff.
Speaker 2: But so they're still strong. Yes, there always are. I think you're right. I don't think they go away.
Speaker 1: But kapybaras are like there was some kapy bara shit at the book fair last year and it went like people were psychotic about the kopy barra. So to see one, I had never seen one, I thought we I thought I would have to go to like I don't know, I didn't know what zoos had them in the US.
Speaker 4: So we went to a cute zoo there.
Speaker 2: We still they're like the popular guys, like even alligators aren't eating them, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeay're just like chill. Everyone loves them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we saw that zoo in Rhode Island is cute, like it's like it's popping in the summer, because then I think they have to put a lot of the animals away in the winter. But so sad, you'll you'll love slash hate this. We got to go watch an elephant get bathed and it was so cute and it's so bonded to its owners. But then they were telling us that in two years, the elephants are going they're leaving. They're going to like an elephant preserve in Tennessee.
Speaker 4: Because elephants are super their.
Speaker 1: Packs like they're supposed to be in packs, and if there's only like three of them at a zoo and then one dies, it's like very sad and depressing for the elephants, and so they try to keep them in bigger packs at these reserves. And so my friend who's with us shout out to my friend Sarah who's come to thats messed up shows and like yelled things out because she like can't help herself and is like a heckler. She was like, are you like going to be able to visit them when they go to Tennessee? And the handlers were like, no, We're devastated, like no humans are allowed to go see them, Like they will have.
Speaker 4: New handlers there or whatever, but like no one is allowed there.
Speaker 1: They won't be open to the public, they won't be able to be seen by which we were like.
Speaker 4: Wondering, why can't they have a play day? Like what is up?
Speaker 1: I know, I'm like a kid, sir, you can't let them go see their old handlers that are like their best friends. Like I don't know, but I was really sad to hear that. And you could see the handler that told us was like devastated. She was so upset. I mean, it's not happening for like a year or so, but ugh, it was so sad.
Speaker 4: I'm really pissed.
Speaker 1: I know I met the snobs whyds. Maybe it has to do something with like their psychology and like, don't remind them.
Speaker 4: I don't like they like being friends with people.
Speaker 1: Well, the other thing is is that these elephants come in every day and get washed in front of a crowd of people, and they do all their little commands and.
Speaker 4: They're so cute.
Speaker 1: They like lift up a foot, lift up the other foot, like they get little treats. And we were wondering because I was. I was with my friend and her girlfriend who works with animals in like a nature preserve and a nature center in Connecticut, and they were like, I wonder. She was saying, it's likely that the elephants are going to miss people like they're gonna miss like being around as many humans. If they're used to seeing so many humans all the time and doing their little bath show that they might be sad now that they're just kind of living elephant life.
Speaker 4: But I don't know, maybe they like that. Oh I don't know. I don't know how to I don't know.
Speaker 1: But we saw like there was a lot of great animals there that we saw a cheetah, we saw.
Speaker 4: A oh my god. I also had another animal encounter.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you saw on Insta, but my friend Marsha and I stopped into her bodega and there were two baby kittens, and so we sat down with some like non binary Bushwick people and the six of us just had the time of our lives.
Speaker 4: It was so cute with a couple of fresh kittens. Yeah, I love it. I know.
Speaker 2: The animals are just such a joy, Yeah, such a joy. When when is the countdown for you guys getting a pet. I mean it's rapidly approaching.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know I told them when they were eleven and nine and Rosie's seven, so it's.
Speaker 4: Like three or four years we're coming.
Speaker 2: It's not that close, but it feels close because we started this at seven years and it felt like yesterday we started saying in seven years, you can get a dog, and now we're at four, like and a half or three and a half.
Speaker 1: You know, we're getting close, So we'll see. But I'm we're staying with a dog right now. A little pug, so funny, and you know, I'm done. But I think Rosie is allergic to cats, so I think cats are going to be a no go, not that they were ever really on the.
Speaker 4: Market with a pug.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his name is Slash because he has like a slash mark on like a like a color of black on his tummy, so it's.
Speaker 4: Like what is I think his original owners called him Slash.
Speaker 1: But he's really funny and just you know, pugs just look like they're like having a nervous breakdown at all times.
Speaker 4: Like he's just so funny and my kids are obsessed with him.
Speaker 2: Wait what Yeah, what else was in the Rhode Island zo oh rand.
Speaker 1: Remember I originally started talking about Hode Island. It was to talk about the beach because the waves were kicking our asses. My kids were boogie boarding, we were in the water getting knocked over. Like the waves were pumpin' in Rhode Island. I wanted to do some Rory recon but I couldn't. But I love Alisha and I love a Kracka. But some people have been like, when are you guys going to weigh in on Rhode Island. I'm like, Lisa is not watching, and I'm only like, honestly, I'm not even to the reunion. But the zoo, oh wait, I'm trying to think of what is that other thing that is like a cheetah or a leopard, but it has like a different name. Oh my god, jaguar. No, it's like you only see it at a zoo. Oh god, like a Lynx. No, I want to say, like a cor Volt or something like that, but it's like not that anyway. That was panda red pandas. We saw a couple of red pandas so cute. Rosy's obsessed with those guys. The animal I was thinking of is a servile.
Speaker 4: I've never even heard of that. How do you spell V a L?
Speaker 1: And they're like they look like more like a house cat, but it is like a big wild cat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a serval. But we saw. Yeah, it was great. It was great. Zebra cats a lot. There's really so many animal.
Speaker 1: Pe cox and pea hens just running around rampant. The food terrible. The food one star. Sorry Rhode Island zoo awful, but also that's a zoo. I'm not there for the food, but we did have to eat there.
Speaker 2: Oh but they but you can at least have like a pretzel. That's not bad, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like god, yeah, and like you know, everything costs a thousand dollars, but it's bad. But yeah, oh when the l path goes, you could put them and they were so soft. I do the l pacas are just so cute. They look like they're wearing mascara. I love them. But yeah, I have just we have just we're recording more this week and then next week I'm in family camp and then I'm back in LA and the summer adventure is over.
Speaker 4: But it's a really cool tradition.
Speaker 1: You've started kept doing it I hope we can keep doing it, you know, Like everyone's like asking me, like, is it so crazy to like travel and your kids don't have all their stuff and this and that, And I'm like, there's honestly something kind of like freeing about, like which I'm sure you understand because you leave your home all the time. There's something like freeing about, like leaving my home for a while, like I don't have to like deal with how stuff I don't have to like and it's sort of like doing something new, like and my kids are very resilient and we only we bring a few art things and they play with what's around and it's really not I really like it. I think it's fun to do a couple months out of the year and then go back to like, you know, routine and life. I'm not like Angelina Jolie or I'm going to be like putting them in a new school every month, But you know, is that what you did. There was like a time where her and Brad Pitt they were like in like I felt like those kids were traveling around and they were attending like six different schools, and I was like that can't be.
Speaker 4: This is all online stuff. So who knows.
Speaker 2: But it is like all these people homeschooling, they're just not teaching their kids how to read because they just thought it's something that just happens naturally.
Speaker 4: It's so hilarious.
Speaker 1: People that are just like it's like walking, you know, I mean, which is kind of true, like you will walk like most people. I would say ninety nine percent of the population just walks eventually, but like reading does not work that way, but some people, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's just oh well, It's kind of like that Backcammon moment I had where it's like the masters let me chill and like then would help me after and the guy who played the worst of all of them kept talking and telling me what to do. And that's like how I feel with homeschooling, where it's like, why do these idiots think that there should be in charge of education. I'm watching this video and it's just a girl I being like yeah, and so it's like the history that we think is important for them to know and we get our worksheets and it's like you have no reverence for educators. I like don't understand. I don't understand. It is the movie Idiocracy, Like I get it. This isn't a new idea I'm talking about, but it is just crazy.
Speaker 4: People being like I got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been seeing a couple of like stitched videos from people like roasting homeschoolers that are like, and this is kind of cool because I can kind of like make up the curriculum myself, Like that's why kind of like this work book. And it's like, why would you think you know how to make up a curriculum. It's like, why does Donald Trump think that he knows the vaccine schedule? There are people that have studied this for years and centuries.
Speaker 2: I'm actually terrified what's gonna happen with our food because like I think full disease in like a year and a half because now it's just the lettuces and the stuff. But like no one's working in science, like everything has been defunded. Like I am, I don't, I'm nervous.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, then today he talked about how he wants to break up these vaccines and change the schedule, and it's so, why does the President of the United States have anything to do with the vaccine schedule.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I just like don't, but we have sure he's invested in something and wants more. It's all money. It's oh yeah, ever he's funneling cash or his friend owns something.
Speaker 4: They had a meeting, you know. And the thing is is like, you know how like MMR.
Speaker 1: That's like that's like a big one that that crazy people think causes vac autism, because at the age that autism can start to show itself is the age around where you get that. It's like totally coincidental because you don't get MMR till you're one, and it's measles, momps and rebella. They want to separate them, which will do absolutely nothing. But when you make people come to more appointments, it's like that's more time off work. That's more like kids don't like shots and you're like putting it off and like it's just so crazy and it's gonna I don't know. It's just like I know, we always get into this, like the damage that this administration is doing is just going to take so long.
Speaker 4: To to undo.
Speaker 1: I'm just hoping we sweep midterms in the fall so he can't do any of this shit.
Speaker 4: But I don't know, it's really bad.
Speaker 1: Even my mom's is like the vaccine stuff is bad.
Speaker 2: Oh, so she's finally, oh yeah, maybe sees there's an issue with a man who can't read being in charge of the free world.
Speaker 4: She's been against that for a long time.
Speaker 1: Although my sister and her husband got here last night and I was out of the house for a second, and when I later that night, they were like, oh well. Immediately got into it about trans athletes with mom and dad, because who should know better to talk about that than a two people who had six children, none of whom participated in college athletics, none of whom were at all good at sports, Like weigh in, please, everyone needs to know what you guys think, and they have, And then my brother in lawstar at are kind of like, like, you know, arguing with her a little bit about it.
Speaker 4: My Mom's like, well I really don't know enough, and it's like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't. You're getting everything from one source. But I can't get into trans athletics. Now, should we start get going on today's episode?
Speaker 4: We should?
Speaker 2: I am looking at up my book that I'm reading and I'm like, I just want to read it. Yeah, it's like, get me, get me my pages. It's good Pioneer Summer. This is my Soviet love story.
Speaker 1: I love reading, and I need to get back into where you are in this like addictive thing where like you love like I've been there before, like when I finished reading one book once I walked out the door and went to the bookstore to buy the sequel like I used to be. So but I got to get back into that mindset I am. I am reading, but not like this.
Speaker 2: So this book is I told you it was like banned in the Soviet Union because it's a gay love story and it's set in a summer camp in nineteen eighty six. God, Soviet culture just sucks, you know what I mean. Communism's the worst. But I'm like enjoying it so much. But so I was reading it at a restaurant in Lo and the server goes, what is that?
Speaker 4: What are you reading?
Speaker 2: So I tell him I go, well, it's this you know, band book in Russia And he goes, oh my god, I loved band books and I go, well, no, it's like illegal there. They burn they burn the copies. It's like you go to jail if you're gay. And he goes, wow, sounds fun and walked away. And it's like, I don't even know how to feel about that interaction. But it just made me be like I love band books, and it's like, no, it's really fucking not good.
Speaker 1: Like I love band books. Is such a weird thing to say there are bad band books. I'm sure, like there are good band books and bad band books. We will be like I love all band.
Speaker 2: Books, and I go, you know, it's setting like a communist camp in eighty six. He's like, sounds fun, walked away.
Speaker 1: You got yourself a real there. I love it, I love band books.
Speaker 4: Whatever. I don't know. It just really made me.
Speaker 2: It made me laugh. I get his sentiment. It just made me laugh in the context of like Russia. Yeah, but it's so good.
Speaker 1: Pioneer Summer, Pioneer Summer, everybody.
Speaker 4: You do have to at least, like, I don't know if it'll be good.
Speaker 2: For everybody though, Like I wonder if I just feel extra connected to it because it is translated.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think you do have to just make a little video where you go through all your titles and then just say like ABC, B plus whatever because people are asking for your like your like your good reads, your list of books, and like, I don't think it exists.
Speaker 2: So just like, uh, because I don't want homework, That's what everyone wants out of me. This is what everyone does with anything I love in my life. Why don't you start an Etsy store? Because I don't want to?
Speaker 4: And that's what the video.
Speaker 2: Get a letterbox, get a good Reads. It's like, I don't want to be logging anything. Get out of my life.
Speaker 1: The homework part though, but a front facing video where you just go Pioneer Summer A plus this one be like you just give a list, you know.
Speaker 2: But then I skip one that it's anxiety. It's just like I just want to enjoy my life. And then what if I don't read for a few weeks? Then what it's like? I don't want to be fucking beholden to anybody about the things that I love doing. You know what I mean? I don't need to check in? Are you still doing a Russian? And I'm like I don't, Yeah, I am, get out of my life, like I don't want to sell anything. I don't want to Sigde Simpson's Instagram.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 2: Oh, I did watch a new movie though. I did watch a movie that probably none of you know about. It's called Dead of Winter. It was on Delta. It's Emma Thompson, Judy greerm and the reason I'm saying it. Who's Munchaka. Who's the guy we interviewed.
Speaker 1: Oh, Mark Machaka, he's in it. Dead of Winter twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: Ooh.
Speaker 1: And it's got like an old and haggard looking Emma Emma Thompson on the cover.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you need to call her old weathered.
Speaker 1: She looks she looks like she's been battling the minneap the Minnesota winter.
Speaker 4: I think we would all look like this.
Speaker 2: It is freezing, there is murder. It is suspenseful and scary. And I enjoyed watching it on UH on the plane.
Speaker 1: Oh cool, all right, maybe I'll watch it on my Delta flight home in a week or so.
Speaker 4: Dead of Winter, everyone with Dead of Winter. Okay. It made me jealous. I want to be in movies like that.
Speaker 2: I just like the idea of like physical discomfort while working. I don't know, something like that. Because it's cold. They shot somewhere fucking cold, you could tell, says Minnesota Casey. Casey's living that Minnesota life.
Speaker 1: He's He's Casey, looks old and Haggard pretty much all days of the winter.
Speaker 4: Just kidding Casey.
Speaker 1: Casey appeared on our Patreon recently and people were like, that is not what I thought Casey looked like.
Speaker 4: It's really funny.
Speaker 1: But if you wanna see what Casey looks like, join our patreon at patreon dot com, slash That's messed Up, and you can go to you know That's messed Up Live dot com has Lisa's links, to Lisa's schedule, to our merch all of that stuff. And if you are a teacher, it's August eighteenth. I'll be sharing wish lists on that That's Messed Up Instagram for a couple more weeks as school begins, and then don't forget. If you are someone who wants to help give to a couple of teachers, just go page through our Teacher's Highlight on our Instagram and we have the various posts where you can give to people. And also there's a link to a spreadsheet that has all of the people who have submitted their all of the tommies who have submitted their wish lists.
Speaker 4: Let's help some teachers get their classrooms filled, shall we?
Speaker 2: All right, let's get started, all right today we will be doing the episode week seasons episode nine, that's sixty nine, written by the.
Speaker 1: Current showrunner, written by two women, Tara Butters and Michelle Vesikis, who is the current showrunner.
Speaker 2: And yeah, amazing, amazing the air day November thirtieth, two thousand and four. This was a nice post Thanksgiving. Yeah, you and I would say one of the one of the classics. It would definitely be on a list. It would definitely be on a list if there was a list.
Speaker 1: I think yeah, I think so because one of the actors wins an Emmy for this, Yeah, and deservedly so.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, So it's four forty seven on a digital clock in the middle of the night. The curtains are billowing in the wind. The window is open, and then it's a slow pan across the room. We hear a woman breathing heavy, and then we hear knocks on the door and it is Olivia Benson outside, and then we see a woman who's obviously been attacked. She's crying up against the corner of the room, not doing well. Olivia says, you know, we're here to help you, and your landlord gave us the key, but we won't use it if you don't want us to. She's incredible at her job, and that gets her moving, but she has to crawl. So now this woman is crawling across the room to answer the door, and Benson is there. So after she opens it, Benson and Stabler enter and she says that she needs her chair. So she is a wheelchair person, and so Stabler gets the wheelchair, like picks her up and lifts her and like gets her in it. She's like, I'm fine, I'm fine, but obviously something horrific happened. And Benson's like, the nine one one operator said that, like, the man who attacked you left two hours ago, why did you wait to call? And she, of course says, like he told me to wait or he would come back. And when she heard the knocking, she was so scared that it was him and that it was some sort of test. So Stabler then says, you know, they always say they come back, but they never do.
Speaker 1: Why would he say that to her? You know, that's not yeah, babe, you could have called right away. You really could have, like, and they do come back sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Like I don't know if the Jennifer Love Hewett episode happened yet like, what the fuck behave?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So Stableerry, Yeah, I just am mad at him. So then two uniform guys come in and go, you gotta listen to this. So then we play like a nine one one callum basically a report of a second sexual assault just four flights up, just happened.
Speaker 4: So now it's the credits.
Speaker 1: Wait really quick, did you know that the girl that plays this girl, this victim is Becky Newton and she's like a pretty big actor.
Speaker 4: I mean, she was on Ugly Betty for a long time.
Speaker 1: I didn't recognize her, and she is currently on The Lincoln Lawyer, which I don't watch, but it's still on. And then she's married to another guy who's been on SVU, whose name is Christopher Diamontopolis, and he is the guy that plays like the psycho billionaire in Silicon Valley. I mean, there's a lot of psycho billionaire in Silicon Valley, but the one that's like Russ Hanneman, he's like the he's so crazy. If you watch Silicon Valley, he was hilarious on that, And so I just I love a SVU power couple.
Speaker 4: Oh he's Canadian in way, but who is he in SBU.
Speaker 1: That's the thing I didn't know because I think he's done a more recent It was like season seventeen or something, and.
Speaker 2: He was in the Blood of Zeus. Oh, he's in the episode called no It All. Dude, he is working. I am scrolling down his IMDb. It is like tough to fuck him. Get in there.
Speaker 1: It's like the reputations of the squad, including Barbara, are put on the line when the suspect reveals he knows their intimate secrets and threatens to expose them if chargers against him aren't dropped.
Speaker 2: The secrets because where they break the rules to like get him, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, he's in eighteen, Oh we should get him. He's like he should be.
Speaker 2: He's he's like I literally put his name in the guest like call him or like the featured co star.
Speaker 4: Yeah, stay tuned, guys. We're we're gonna try to We're gonna.
Speaker 2: Try to get him.
Speaker 4: He is hot.
Speaker 2: But there are a hot couple. I mean I knew she was someone famous because she's so pretty. So with that, so now there's a woman holding a baby. They just got back from the airport. Her and this baby, key and door and this guy grabbed her from behind and then pushed them inside, and he wouldn't let her turn on the lights.
Speaker 4: He was behind her the whole time.
Speaker 2: And then they do the classic back and forth cutting where both women are telling the story and pick up from each other. So then the wheelchair girl, she says that she woke up and he was just sitting at the edge of the bed, and she thought that she was dreaming, but then there was a hand over her mouth.
Speaker 4: She does not know how he got in.
Speaker 2: And then Judah, Cipher and Munch are looking at the lock and basically the lock is broken. It's cheap as fuck, it's shitty landlords like not good. I really love my apartment, okay, knock on wood. I mean I have the Manhattan protect her on my window. I have like a full metal day. Like, you cannot fucking get in there. Fucking try it. Please don't. So he rolled so he rolled her over onto the stomach. She never saw his face, but he smelled like cigarettes, stale, you know, like a bar. His smell was disgusting, and he made her tell him things. So then it's back to the mom. You know, he wanted to hear how good he was, how much. She liked it and she said it, and you know, she's like pissed that she even said it, but it felt like he needed it to like do it or whatever. But then he still he did not finish, and he got really angry, and then the baby started crying, so she just shut her eyes and then he was gone. So Finn is now on the fire escape stairs trying to see the exit, and they have to like print all the railings. Then there's a csu tech. I've never seen her in my life, but I love her and I love her vibe, and she finds a condom wrapper and she's like, hopefully there's some good prints, and then the other girl, the non mom, is like, fuck, he wore gloves, like I don't think you're going to find anything. And then Benson asks, when did he push the wheelchair out of your bedroom? And she said after he had to do one more thing to show how helpless I was. So then Benson sits down next to her and explains that they're going to catch this guy because of the info that she gave them, and that's not helpless. She pushes her to think of any more details, and she's like, listen, I don't know him, but I think he knows me because he kept saying that she wasn't as good as he imagined when he first saw her and thought that she was gonna be the one. So that are beautiful foursome we have like Munch, iced Tea, Stabler, Benson. They all walk out in the sun is fully up, so that means they did an all nighter on the sea and worked really hard, and the guy did two rapes in under an hour. Benson thinks that he stalked the first victim. The second one was just an opportunity, but he's on a binge right now and like, you know, because the first girl didn't live up to his expectations, so it's like another chance. And then Stabler's like, there is no perfect girl, you know, and Munch goes, well, he's gonna keep fucking trying until he finds one, Like we got to get him. So Finn is like, I'm gonna go back to the house and look at viscap and then uh oh, a unicop has news a woman is in the er who has attacked two blocks from this building and it could be the same guy. So they run to Saint Catherine's Hospital, this woman is beat the fuck up, and she's like, he didn't rape me. He fucking tried, that's for sure. He just grabbed her right off the sidewalk, pulled her into an alley. She screamed, and she got off work around for something. She works at Polly's tavern, and then she started popping him with her crutches. So another person that's like, you know, not at full capacity, you know what I mean, Like there's a baby, there's a wheelchair, and now there's crutches. There's obviously a pattern. But because she fought back so hard that she he bashed her head into the wall, and then a man was standing over in her suit saying that an ambulance is on the way. There's blood on the wall, so hopefully they can get like information on this guy. She has crutches because of her knee surgery. And yeah, Benson's like, did you get a good look at him? She goes it was mostly from behind, but I could tell he was white and he smelled like an ash tray.
Speaker 4: So definitely the same person.
Speaker 2: So we're back at the house and Craigan doesn't get why he didn't rape the alley person. So Stabler guesses like maybe because she was knocked out, that's not interesting, or someone scared him off, like someone saw and he had to get running. So Benson says it must be a new rapist since he's going for women with weaknesses, but Craigan says three and one night, like that's a hell of a start, so something is setting him off. Finn says that there's unfortunately no DNA and no science evidence has hit yet. And if we think somebody scared him during the third victim, so like maybe we find that person, like maybe that person can help us, so much is gonna work on that. And then maybe Colleen, she's the first victim. It was being stalked. Maybe someone noticed something. So Benson and Stable are gonna work on that. Get her schedule and like go to all the places she goes. So we go to her nail salon. She comes in for manny petties once a week. Fancy, I feel manicure once a week makes sense, but petticures once every two weeks, Like I cannot believe she's doing it, but you know, good for her. Benson asks if someone was giving her too much attention lately, and she's like, well you know what's sad.
Speaker 4: Everybody stares at the.
Speaker 2: Girl in the wheelchair and they're like, okay, but any mail clients that day, like that's who we're really looking for.
Speaker 4: And she goes, oh, yeah, what a mess.
Speaker 2: She says about this guy like he was gross chewed up, like disgusting, dirty hands, and then she grabs Stable and goes, you bite your nails too, you fucking weirdo. So then you know, she goes white, average wearing sunglasses and then they go to the nail at Teck Annie. Annie seemed familiar to me, and it's because she's in a scene and one of my favorite movies young adults, so I clapped it right away. She's like in one of the early Minneapolis scenes with Charlie's throne and like she had you know, she works shows thirty three credits. She was in Like an Agent and The Beast in Me, and was in the movie Sorry Baby from last year.
Speaker 4: Her name is Hetty in Part Yes, and she was in Hannibal.
Speaker 1: She's one of the main characters in the early seasons at Hannibal, and we talked about how Hannibal is like the most unhinged show, like people get murdered in ways that are like so insane. This woman in the show, and like fast forward if you're like don't want to hear Hannibal spoilers or whatever. The way she finally gets murdered, and I think, I think it's by Hannibal, but it might be by like another murderer that they're trying to find. Her body is thin, sliced and then like put on display like she's in the Bodies exhibit, but it looks like almost like you accordioned out her body. Like it's like it's something you could not do to a human body, but they like do it on the show. It's that's what I think of when I see this woman.
Speaker 4: But she's in I tell this stuff.
Speaker 1: Should I watch Hannibal? It's so crazy? But I thought it was great and Barba's in it, and I think Matts Michelson is a really great actor. And then the guy who's married to Claar Danes, you Dancy, yeah, and you said she's in The Beast in Me, which I really want to watch because I heard it's really good.
Speaker 4: It's the it's c Yeah, but did you have to see her fault?
Speaker 2: Because because it was lucky because all her Faults and Beasts in Me came out at the same time.
Speaker 4: Yes, and I chose all her Faults, okay, and I did.
Speaker 2: Have time for both, and I loved them both, and yeah, I think, yeah.
Speaker 4: I liked it.
Speaker 1: I thought it was great. I loved all her Fault. I would love to watch bets to me. And then there's another one. I mean to watch Widow's Bay. Widow's Bay.
Speaker 2: Everybody's saying is so fucking good. I maybe we should watch it for the Patreon. Maybe I'll get AMC Plus or what is Apple? What's on Apple? We should watch widows Bay. Yeah, that's a good idea. I would do that. That would that would get me off, that would get us, that would us so well, I don't know if off your ass are up back on your ass, yeah, you'd be watching it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, well, you know what happened is like this summer, I just got back into I got into Rhode Island. I started just watching Rhode Island, and so whenever I had like a little bit of extra time, I was like, I just want to watch like mindless Rhode Island. And it's like fine, I don't think you like need to like run to your like Local U Bravo channel. But it's like there's one woman on it that cracks me up. Her name's Alicia, and there's like super cuts of her. She's like, she's like Teresa Judas, if Teresa Judas wasn't a bad person, Like she makes all these funny little like malapropisms or whatever, but she's not hateful and awful.
Speaker 2: So for my p Town recap if the who remember I forgot to mention, So like Lacy who does my color and cut like she does my hair, she goes to Pizzaown every summer. She has an apartment there, like she loves Peetown. So her, her sister Vanessa and then her wife Allison came and they came to my cottage and did my roots so I would have gray hair for Monaco. And they and so they drove. So they went to Pizza Mama. Oh god, yeah, yes.
Speaker 4: So they went to Pizza Mama.
Speaker 1: The woman I'm talking about, the woman that owns Pizza Mama, is really funny and she goes, oh my god, I love like she always says, I love a Cracker. She's got the most insane Rhode Island accent. I love Ara, I love a tequila. Oh my god, and then she goes Jane's Fonda. I love Jane's Fonda, like talking about Jane Fonda, like just why. At one point they try to get her to say ghosts with an S at the end of it, and she goes ghost and they go yeah but with an S and she goes ghost. Why can't I do it?
Speaker 4: It's oh my god.
Speaker 2: Molly Ringwold was unwatched what happens last and Andy asks her, like, is there a role you turned down that you regret?
Speaker 4: And she turned down ghost?
Speaker 2: Wait who Molly Ringwold, Wow that idea and she's chill.
Speaker 4: She's like, whatever, it wasn't meant to be into me. Did an amazing job.
Speaker 2: But then like and then Andy decided to really spin the knife and goes, I mean your whole trajectory of your career would have been different.
Speaker 4: Sure she knows that, yeah, that movie, but I.
Speaker 2: Mean Backgammon does have a lot of like life lessons, and one of them is just like you can't think like that, like if you pass or take the doubling cube, or this happens, or you move it one way or another, like there is chance and you can't really be like it might not have been the same if you did the thing, you know what I mean, Like maybe Friends wouldn't have been a hit if the casting was different or whatever. It is, like you maybe you just it's not a one for one. Yeah, and that's something I learned from backgammon. Okay, So anyways, where are we? Where are we?
Speaker 4: We love?
Speaker 2: Heady End, so heady End. She they show her the sketch and it's just like a UNI bomber. She's like, isn't that the unabomber? And so like he's in a hood in shades. So now we're back at home base. Everyone saw this guy, but nobody remembers him. So he's kind of like a nobody, you know. Mistress Cellophane Vibes, Chicago, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: I had.
Speaker 2: I actually flew in a day before I was supposed to, Like I fucked up my schedule in my head, and so I had kind of like a free day and I just did a solo lunch in New York, a walk, went to the mystery bookshop, just kind of enjoyed my day. But there was a family I was gonna read in my book and I could not focus. There was a family trying to pick what Broadway show to go to? No less than an hour. The whole time, I was no less than an hour going back and forth Chicago, what about Jella Club?
Speaker 4: But it's this? What about that? What about this? I was going to.
Speaker 2: I kept wanting to get up and go just go see the Jellico ball is closing in a week.
Speaker 4: You can always see Chicago.
Speaker 2: But I was gonna be like, Mary is funny, Like I don't know, go see Titanic.
Speaker 4: They're like, is that just gay?
Speaker 2: This?
Speaker 4: Like I mean it? They would not stop.
Speaker 2: And then once I felt like they were down and whittled it down, Ragtime came into the conversation, and I'm like, oh my.
Speaker 1: God, oh my god, Like, wait, did I tell you what? I was that the lead of Ragtime at a party like on fourth of July? Oh was it Brian Saffie? Oh no, it's a separate party.
Speaker 2: No fourth like like Lisa a suburban New Jersey like kid party like And I met this guy and was like and then my friend goes, oh, yeah, he's the lead in Ragtime.
Speaker 1: I was like, well, you could have mentioned that. I could have talked Hi about it a little bit, but no, whatever, But no.
Speaker 2: I told someone else about the Whoopy monologue about car Young of being, like you did great, and did I tell you this?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I told you guys this, right, do you guys know not know? I saw the Whoopy monologues? No, Oh my god. So I went to the Woopy Monologues with Caleb and Amy Miller, and I had no idea what it was. All of a sudden, Kerry Washington comes out Dominique fish Back like it's just like a Who's who of you know actresses incredible, and it's like a remake of the Whoopee, Like this is what broke Whoopee. I guess she like wrote these monologues and it's different characters and Whoopy played them all right, but in this version, like different women play it. I knew nothing. I got an invite. I do whatever Caleb tells me. It's kind of like part of my life. If he says be somewhere, I go, and so he runs off because and so it's just me and Amy. We decide to go to PJ.
Speaker 4: Clark's.
Speaker 2: So I'm sitting in PJ Clarks. We're like eating it's not even that good, but whatever. So we're having like we're catching up, we're having a good time. My favorite actress from the show walks in and so Amy stops her because I'm sitting facing Amy, and I go, oh my god, I'm like, you were incredible.
Speaker 4: You were so good.
Speaker 2: And then Amy tells her like you were her favorite we were just talking about and I'm like, no, we don't say that, but I was like, you were amazing. She recognizes me this actress. She goes, I'm obsessed with you ding, So we like, I'm like, can I find you on Instagram? And like you're incredible? And I see she's in the movie as god Is, so I'm like, oh, so she's like probably like a huge deal whatever. So like I can't believe she knows me, I know her whatever. So then I'm talking to Jake and Andy when I'm in Pete Town and Andy's a Broadway sorry was like in Spring Awake, and like he you know, he works all the time, so he and he's in TV and film whatever. So I'm talking about this person and he goes, Kara Young and I go yeah, and he goes, she has three Tonys. She's nominated every year and she's the most incredible actress in New York.
Speaker 4: City and I go, I go because I DMed.
Speaker 2: Her like keep at it, kid, Not really, but I was just like talking to her, like I'm truly blown away by you.
Speaker 4: That was like such an incredible performance.
Speaker 2: One of the most winning actresses won like the Tony for Best Actress two years in a row with you two years.
Speaker 1: In a row, and she's the first black actress to be Tony nominated four consecutive years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'm just like, hey, girl, you were incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was humiliated. I mean, I don't think I was embarrassing, because I know what it feels like to be treated like keep at it or like what the you know, like people don't know.
Speaker 4: What your other or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I you know, I definitely DMed her, just like I just needed to tell you one more time what an incredible performance you did, Like you blew me away.
Speaker 1: She's probably like literally in the mix to be honest for you. Can't you imagine if she's huge, if she's huge on Broadway, Like there's definitely no way Marishka doesn't know who she is.
Speaker 2: So then I'm with Mark Schabelski this week, and she like loves Broadway. She writes musicals and so like I tell her the story and then when I like reveal who it is, she goes it was Kara Young.
Speaker 4: I go, I know, like I fucking know, Oh my gosh, No, you're right.
Speaker 2: It was the day before I left for pe Town, because I should have gone straight home to pack, but of course I didn't.
Speaker 4: I stayed out with Amy Miller eating at PJ. Clark's.
Speaker 2: But I got to meet fucking you know, Carrie Young, so it was all worth it. And I love Amy Miller so much. Yeah, I was happy she was in New York. And then Kayle because we just thought the show started at seven. There was miscommunication, but it started at.
Speaker 1: Eight, by the way, I love On the website for the Whoopee, it goes, Whoopy Goldberg is not scheduled to appear in this production. Because I met you, so many people are like, where's Whoopee?
Speaker 2: No, I they should have at least even had like a paragraph or a blurb or like some sort of explanation in the playbill, because like Amy had to explain it to me after even even watching it. It was just like she was in it, you know, Yetta Adam. Well, okay, we're back, We're back.
Speaker 4: You're back, we're home base.
Speaker 2: How did we even get to the Whoope monologues? And I'm like shocked. Okay, so everyone saw this guy, no one remembers him. There was a delivery driver near the alley who did see a man running into a dark four tourists but couldn't catch the license plate. And they're like, well, let's call Hwang, like we need his help. Fuck, he's not available. He's on assignment in DC. So now we have Amanda Plumber okay, and she's an actress and we're excited. And she won an Emmy for this part Outstanding Guest Actress and a Drama Series. And this is two thousand and five, the same year I graduated high school, which all seems very insane to me.
Speaker 1: And bad Wong was on Broadway and that's why they had to bring in someone that comes in later.
Speaker 4: But he's not on assignment in d stage or stuff.
Speaker 2: Why Sailor's like, can I help you? Like he works at American Eagle. It's like you're on a special I say this, So, like, why is there not a receptionist at SVU?
Speaker 1: Like we can't pay somebody like minimum wage or something with benefits. Just to sit there and go, Hi, can I help you? Let me get you a cup of coffee while you're waiting to just close your rape, Like I don't understand why people are always just wandering in staring at the walls until someone notices them.
Speaker 4: I'm yeah.
Speaker 2: So she's she's mumbling, you know, she's a little inappropriate to say off her rocker, right, So like she's talking in science terms, mumbling units, principles, looking over the shoulder, like she's just not making sense. So she's panting, she's swatting, and when Benson tries to get closer to her, like she's swatted so you know she can't handle it. Now she's repeating numbers fourteen seventeen, twenty two, thirty six thirty oh bonds underscore, babbling carbon. Ben's as a crumbled piece of paper from her, and it is the like the sketch of.
Speaker 4: The unibomber looking guy.
Speaker 2: And then there's red, blue and green ink pens written all over at arrows shapes like lots of words. It's like something happened with this guy. Benson asks if she was attacked, and she goes that was the reason, and then mumbles, she's very freaked out, mouth open like eyes so shocked. When she sees the picture again, she ends up hitting Finn Stabler holds her from behind. Craigan runs out full suspenders, like what the hell is going on? Benson says, could be victim number four. So they have to go to Bellevue. And this woman's name is Miranda Cole. They know because they have her ID. She's not really communicating, she can't really answer questions, and then she almost did by a nurse's finger off, so I really like her vibe. So then they call in doctor Hendris. Rebecca Hendrix. She's a friend of the pod Mary Stuart Masterson, so we've done other episodes with her.
Speaker 4: This is obviously her introduction.
Speaker 2: She used to be a cop but then decided to join the lab coat life. She's wearing a peach turtleneck and they're going to medicate Miranda, so you know they can treat her and also hopefully get information. Benson gives Hendricks the heads up she might have been sexually assaulted. She's freaking out, and then we can assume time has passed because she feels she looks more calm. She's sitting up in her hospital bed and Rebecca's very close to her and asks if she's hearing voices in her head right now, and Miranda answers, yes, what are they saying? The doctor says, she says, it is my fault. I brought this on what terrorists?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 2: But Laden wants to hide in plain sight, but I can see. Benson jumps in. When were you attacked? She says yesterday. She says, I have to leave now, but they obviously don't want her to go. They have to examine her. She's scared of the nurse. She doesn't want foursips. Benson is like all over the case. Hendrix is all about the medicine. She doesn't want anything else in her. Benson goes, who touched you? She starts saying no, no, no, no, no no more listening devices stop stop stop stop. So then Hendrix has to hop her up on medication. Hendrix walks wants to talk outside. Stabler's outside in the hall and is like, what did she say? And then Rebecca and Olivia are out there and Benson goes, well, it seems like she was raped by terrorists, and Rebecca says the obvious, like, you know, Miranda has schizophrenia and has probably been off her meds for a while. They're gonna try some antipsychotics and then they can try again later and she's she says.
Speaker 4: Nice to see you, Olivia.
Speaker 2: So Olivia's eyes open a little wider and goes, well, what about the rape kit? And she goes, it's too traumatic, dude, like you saw her. And Stabler asks if she thinks she was rape The doctor says, well, schizophrenics rarely false report and then stress off and brings on a psychotic break and Benson's like, I'm sure that you can appreciate the importance of getting this done fast. He attacked three women in one night and she could be the fourth, and she goes, yes, but I care about my patient first, so that's what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 4: Fuck. Stabler gets a call.
Speaker 2: It is another victim, so they had to Broadway souvenirs and Laurie Switzer twenty four, was close shot by herself. The dad called when she didn't come home, and it's the same neighborhood, but this victim is dead. She was right from behind and there's impressions on the back of her neck from being held down, and then he just snapped her neck.
Speaker 4: So she fought really hard.
Speaker 2: There's no fluids, and Melinda's going to try to get something from the nails, but she did keep them short and there aren't obvious disabilities, but Melinda's going to do her job and get back to everybody. So he's either so he's either evolving and like the victim doesn't have to be vulnerable anymore or young, or like even need to survive, like things are changing in terms of them, and they're all really really pissed, like we have a living victim in the hospital and we can't even fucking talk to her. So then Stabler says it would be too traumatic and she snaps back, it's always traumatic and he says she's a cop and Benson goes, no former cop. So they went to the academy together, but two years later she went to go be like a doctor, and Benson doubts that Hendrick's even members what they're up against.
Speaker 4: Sailor said, so mad.
Speaker 1: At this woman for quitting. Yeah, she's like very mad. She's like, how dare you go be a doctor? Like you're both helping people, Like, yeah, she didn't want to be a cop, get over?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, who wasn't her passion?
Speaker 2: Like so she's really mad and she's like, they don't know what we're up against, and Sable goes, then we should remind her. It's like they're just bullying anyone that can't finish the academy. Benson and Stabler enter. Benson has no chill. Rebecca's like lab coat clipboard vibes, and she's like, we need to talk to Miranda now, rape kit now, and Hendrix goes, yeah, it's already done. I did it like chill, it's at the crime lab. Saba goes, wow, finally a shrink who gets it, and this is his like separation era. So he wants to fuck Rebecca. It's like very obvious they are flirty. So then she goes, yeah, I'm trying to help you. Fuck heads. And Miranda's responding well to the meds. You can interview her whenever you would like. She's aware of her illness. She's self conscious about like you know how she sounds like to other people, but she believes they are real.
Speaker 4: She doesn't want to talk about the rape.
Speaker 2: Like PTSD is really intense with people who have schizophrenia. It's really tough, like they can't separate it. So like the PTSD is stronger. Benson interrupts her, goes, yeah, we all know about PTSD. Thanks, and she says, I know, but it's not just flashbacks. People with schizophrenia relive it, okay. As she's talking about it, the sounds and sensations come back very vividly and feel real. She says she can sit in if that helps, and like so, before Benson can say no, Stabler accepts the offer. Miranda is laying and they start chatting with her, and she's sort of remembering coming to the station last night. They asked why she comes in. She says, something happened to me. You won't believe me. Benson reassures her, like, we believe that somebody hurt you. What did he do to you? And you know, She's like, she he read my mind. I couldn't stop him. Stabler asked what he looks like. He controls her eyes so she can't see, and teleport so he's always behind her.
Speaker 4: I can hear him.
Speaker 2: Don't scream or will kill you, communicates through the lights. She starts scratching her skin and it's like almost bleeding, and she digs deeper and deeper. When they show her the sketch that she brought in with the pen marks, and it leads her to full volume shrieking. Rebecca confronts her, I mean, not comforts her. Comforts her, and then we go straight to a walk and talk. And so it's our dynamic duo in a mighty duck formation with Craigan in the front. And he's like, so we don't even know she was raped, and I hate when he acts dumb, Like anytime they make our people act dumber than they are really bothers me. But I know that's what needs to happen to the story physician, to be like so everybody knows where we are. But it is annoying because Craigan, she did talk about standing from behind. That can't be coincidence. Stabler's like, listen, she came to her station. I think something happened, and she is our only hope. Craigan goes and they found semen in the rape kits, so there's a match. Holy shit, Raymond Edinger. So they see Raymond Editer. He's like on a pool. As they say his name, he starts running, he's sprinting. Stabler tackles him and we could tell he's like obviously suffering from schizophrenia as well, and like, you guys are so stupid. So he's screaming, you're not a real person, don't be a werewolf. As they're arresting him, he's like at like they're like shut up, shut up. And as they drag him away and old man yells he can't help it, leave them alone. And I just watch How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days on one of my flights, and I immediately recognize this man. He is Uncle Arnold from the Bullshit card scene in How to Lose Guy in Ten Day. I don't know if I would have recognized if I didn't just watch. So he's so Now we're with Raymond. He's babbling in cement room bars. He's making no sense. Pencils and crans. Everything is different. You guys have really changed. They're dumbfounded. This is kind of like high comedy. Their faces are really silly. He's now left alone in the room talking. He's talking about crusts and goats have strings in their toes, and Julie andrews and she goes, oh.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, he's talking about sound of music the goats. I've never seen it. Oh there's a goat puppet show. Oh okay, Guyana who was a lonely goat. Yeah, anyway, I just put that together. Thank you for that. I just assumed like real goats like I did not. So she goes, oh, Ray Ray, he's a frequent flyer at Bellevue, and she guesses they fucked at the hospital he was let out that morning. Sailor's like, you share the sex was consensual. She's like, oh, yeah, it happens all the time.
Speaker 2: Ray Ray is not a rapist, like it's his DNA is in the system, but it's for filing hundreds of false reports about his neighbor trying to murder his cat.
Speaker 4: She just like doesn't believe that this is it.
Speaker 2: Benson goes, well, great, good news, she wasn't raped, and it's like, wait, what I again. I hate when they say stupid things when they are decorated detectives, like you could have consensual sex and also be raped, like multiple things can happen. And Rebecca does say like, no, I think she was, and Benson goes, well, there wasn't spermicide which was present and the others, and so the doctor goes, no, I know, but like it means she couldn't like it. Just means she wasn't raped last night. People with schizophrenia lose their perception of time. It could have happened a week ago, but it feels like yesterday. And also it fits his type, especially like if she's off her meds and Reyray goes to the window and goes, hey, I can't find my head, and so they got to let him out. So they're like, let's go ask Miranda about stuff. So when they get there, she's already checked herself out and a couple hours ago, after the twenty four hour hold expired. I don't know if I said Melinda and Miranda, but we're going to talk to Miranda Amanda Plumber. So they got to find her. No luck, she's in the wind. Nobody knows where she lives. And Benson's like, she should have been held, and the doc is like, yeah, we can't force her to stay. Benson goes that's the problem with mental health professionals like you, Okay, you guys medicate them just enough to cut them loose, and nobody monitors them when they're off their meds. They are victims or purpse of crimes, and then we have to clean up your mess. Hundricks goes, oh, you want to play this game? Would you want me to lock them all up? Is that going to make your life easier? Is that your plan?
Speaker 4: Olivia?
Speaker 2: She goes, if it keeps them safe? Yes, and it's like, Olivia, come like, I just I hate Yeah, let's like lock up schizophrenics.
Speaker 4: Like what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: So Craigan goes, Okay, ladies can't fight over, let's find her. So he doesn't say that I think I had the cat fight, or maybe he does. I don't know. You never know.
Speaker 4: So she has a sister, so let's see if that helps.
Speaker 2: So Stabler invites her to come help them since they'll need a shrink when they find her, and there's like, already such trust build between them. They're being so flirty. She's like, well, I already have a job, and he's like, then why are you here then? And it's like, obviously she wants to fuck you and you might not be a cop anymore, but I know you want to find this guy as badly as we do. So they cut to the sister's house and is Geneva car friend of the pod and she's been in like three episodes. She was in the dugger episode that we covered and we love her. So she called four days ago, she said, Branda called her sister four days ago. She said she was attacked, but she thought it was another episode. And she's like, well, you know, everyone's always trying to kill her. And she starts crying because she feels so bad. She didn't think it would true, and Hendricks reassures her and they're like, but she did say someone hurt her inside, and then they need to find her, and she explains that she bought Miranda an apartment with inheritance after their mother died, but she rarely stays there.
Speaker 4: But they go to check there.
Speaker 2: It's up the upper west side by the park and that's where all the other rapes happen. So they enter the house. All the windows are covered, no lamps, no lights. They communicate through lights, you know. So then soda can tops, thousands of them are hanging all over. There's lots of paper molecules and terrorism are her fixations. And they hear a noise. Benson opens the door and it's like fully foil like wall behind it, and so then we hear whimperings. So she like rips up the foil and Miranda is on in a ball on the floor. She says it's not safe, she's blocking him, but he came in anyways.
Speaker 4: The kitchen is wired.
Speaker 2: Three and then four something clips with something hearing three and then four something clicks with stabler. I'm not really sure what it was, but they go to the kitchen and she did preserve the crime scene. Everything is there. Say it, say it, you'll like it, or I'll hit you. Tell me what's wrong. Tell me I'm a man, best man you've ever had. So now she's quoting him. Something's inside he is, he hears from the inside out, disguise over his eyes. Head is made of bugs and left one here to spy on her. And there is a blood mark. And then again quote say it feels good, say my name, say Thomas. Holy shit, she's gonna break this case, so.
Speaker 4: Now they do.
Speaker 1: I don't really understand how the she would know how many victims there were, though, like the three and the four thing, like how that even played in She.
Speaker 2: Might be like reading all the newspapers or heard them talking about all the victims, and like they were talking about information, like who fucking knows you know?
Speaker 4: And I wonder if this guy like didn't.
Speaker 1: He didn't say his name to any of the other girls, but for this one, he was like, oh she no one will believe anything she says because she's you.
Speaker 4: Know, yeah, yeah, I do know. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So now they pulled every Taurus for Taurus matching everybody New York. So they get all the four tauruses matching the description registered under Thomas. There's one hundred and fifty of them, but they narrow it down and one only one's in the area, and it's Dallas Roberts aka Gregory Yates, aka Friend of the Pod.
Speaker 4: And this is exciting. He's at the center of all these This episode is simply brimming with Friends of the Pod. I know. It's so fucking cool.
Speaker 2: And they hang his ID photo on the workboard and we got to see if the blood from the kitchen matches the blood from Gina's crutch and then if it's like matches him, and holy shit, that's a suspect. So they run the background check and they see if Melinda Warner can make a house call.
Speaker 4: So they're gonna try to play mind games with him.
Speaker 2: They don't have a warrant, but they're gonna see if he'll give up the DNA, so knock, knock, knock. Stabler, Finn and Melinda are there and then like a hot fucking sexy muscle guy opens the door. It's not Dallas. It's a different guy. Not that Dallas isn't hot, it's just like a different vibe. So then it's like just like a very very sexy guy, like very yes, yes, yes, like yes, and he's in a towel. Like Melinda says, hey, we're hot, like hard eyes, like she's the hard I emoji. Either one of you smokes. He says quit a year ago. Thomas hates it, and he's like, hey, hot stuff, go get dressed and we'll wait for Thomas out here.
Speaker 4: And it's a one bedroom so they're like he's gay. He's gay. Fit's like the guy.
Speaker 2: Is gay, and then Melinda goes, it's a damn shame, and so like bisexuality.
Speaker 4: Does not exist in season six.
Speaker 2: So and also like Kendall's clearly a gay guy, Like nothing is confusing here. So then the hottie goes, can I ask what's up? And they go, well, there're sexual assaults in the area on women, and he grins and he's like and you think he did it. Dallas comes out in a robe, sheepishly, asking what's going on, and Hatty's like, oh, they think you attack some women like Ello. Well, Sabler was like, no, we just want to ask some questions. It's not a big deal. You still drive afore Taurus, right, he says yeah. He goes, I'm sorry who was attacked? And Finn asks for the whereabouts three nights ago? He goes, I'm not you know, I'm not saying anything, and the Hotty goes, come on, we were home and we were in bed by ten. Dallas is annoyed, Alan, why don't we just broadcast it? And so he's in the closet and it's like everyone's into different things and that's what's like really cool, but.
Speaker 4: It's like it must suck to be with someone that's closeted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I know you have to do it for people's careers and that's really sad and different reasons and trauma. But and I you know, I read some books that cover this, like I do you know, it just sucks and I wonder if they're open or not. So Han it's okay, and then he rubs his back and he screams, stop it. And he shimmeys out of this hand rub and the Haughty looks upset and Sabl's like, you need to answer questions three nights ago. He goes, I was in bed with Alan, okay, and then Staybler's like, easy, bro, just give us a DNA sample and we'll be out of here. He says, no, he doesn't want to, and Hatie is like, whatever, it's not like they're gonna catalog at his homo blood.
Speaker 4: Love that. I love that.
Speaker 2: I want merch. They're not going to catalog it as homo blood. That's that's a top ten quote for me. So I love this hot guy. So then no blood. They say it's just a swab in the mouth, so he goes, fine, I'll do it. So I'm kind of shocked about that. So now we're to walk and talk at the precinct. They're going to rush it, but they don't think it's their guy since he's gay. But Olivia and John found some more stuff on this guy, so his presentation time. So he was at Michigan State for six and a half years, and during that time there was a bunch of unsolved peeping incidences and they stopped whenever he took medical leaves, which was multiple time during his college career and also after he graduated. Then he moved to Cleveland for two years, and then several unsolved breaking and entering incidences. So then either the boyfriend is lying or he's a super heavy sleeper. But also there was like a call with his mom at ten pm from Queen's then, but it was like outgoing, and then the next call or whatever there was cell phone tower stuff, and then the next call with his at was like he had on his phone was at his mom's house in Queens.
Speaker 4: So but the rapes didn't happen till two.
Speaker 2: So even if he's on his phone in Queen's at midnight, he could have still done the rapes at two. So they have to go like, but why would he visit his mom the night of the rape? And is that what fueled the rape? Like you know, because Munch was like what would Freud say about all that? So we have to go and see how long he was with his mom. So they go to Bussiness Mather's home in Queen's and they're obviously under a ruise. So she's like, oh, Thomason, tell me about a car accident and then she's like, I mean, it could just not be his car. Honestly, we're just checking on stuff. The mom is smoking ding ding ding ding. It's like such an intense smile. So then she says it probably wasn't him because he would never hit somebody and drive away. She says, let me just get off the call. Uh says, let me just get off the call.
Speaker 1: She was on the phone like when they came, like classic, like New York mom, like the doorbell rings.
Speaker 4: She doesn't go like, she goes, just hold on a second, you know.
Speaker 2: So he says that three nights ago, a little after midnight, her furnace was broken again, he sayed, twenty minutes, and so Much was like, I'll go look at it. So the furnace keeps getting broken. Dallas was there fixing the furnace. So Much is going to look at it. So cute, Finn. It's like, must be nice to have your son to help whenever you need it. She goes, ah, he's always such a bitch about it though, always talking about how he has his own life nonsense. But she calls him a good boy. Thomas arrives and goes, what the fuck is going on here? And VID's like, oh, we're just getting some answers, like a lot of stuff that you weren't talking about, and Thomas says, you can't just come harass people. Munch comes from fucking with the furnace and says, oh, we're just being helpful. And look how dirty my nails are from the furnace. So all the pieces are falling into place. He has the dirty hands, you know, from the manicure spot if you remember that. They grab him and they're like, you can make it an ugh. They go, we gotta get my hands cleaned up, like let's go to the station to get an appointment whatever, So they arrest his ass. We're in cement room bars the whole team is in the spy room and Kragan's like, so do you think being gay is a cover? And they're like, well that seems really elaborate and like truly by does not come up, Like it is really crazy, like by your this is by erasure. It's like bry people are so annoying, but it is just like it is just not even an option for the It's so crazy. I just wonder if this episode would be different today or like what but you wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Rule somebody out just because they're getting like, just because they're living with a man.
Speaker 2: I don't think today, Well, I yeah, but like raping a cops might be that dumb, Like I don't know. So Benson's like, a homo rapist is new to me, but not impossible. And then rape isn't about sexual attraction. It is about power, and women make better victims, easier to control. The door opens and Hendrix is there. Elliott asked her to stop by. Okay, so someone has a crush. Stabler asks her why a homosexual man would rape women, and she goes, well, same reason as a hetero man. She would have to know more about his psychopathology. So Stabler invites her to sit on into the interrogation. Benson, shocked, goes, okay, when did you become a champion of the mental health promom? And Stabler goes, well, you said it's new to us. And Craigan's like, okay, the three people like might rattle him. This is good and you know he's already rattle. Let's go rattle him. So it's a party in cement room bars and they're like, bro, you lied to us, and he goes, I was just confused. And you know my boyfriend was drunk. Well, he doesn't say boyfriend, He's just like Alan was drunk. Benson then calls him his boyfriend and he screams he isn't my boyfriend, and Benson goes, I mean you live with him, sleep with him, and have sex with him, and Dallas Roberts goes he says, that's disgusting. Rebecca quickly asks, what's disgusting that I don't want to talk about that stuff now? Tom Stabler says, the only person who's got a problem with homosexuals is you.
Speaker 4: Get over it.
Speaker 2: Rebecca says, hey, you're bleeding, and he's like, oh, I cut myself shaving, No big deal. Benson leans in and goes, so, what's the issue with being gay? I heard your dude, Alan is quite a catch according to RM ME. So I just love that Melinda called Benson to like gossip about the hawkeye from work.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean, girl, you're not gonna believe the abs on this man, so fucking funny. So I'm not gay. I'm just going through a thing.
Speaker 2: And they ask if he's ever had a girlfriend, and he goes, whatever. Lots of guys don't find the right girl. Benson says, well, that's true. Being singles not easy. You would not and then he you know, it's the cloud. You would not look twice at me if I asked you out, and he's getting mad, you would not give me the time of day. So don't pretend to understand what I'm going through. I don't need your pity. And then Stabler kind of mocks Samon goes, you're just looking for the right girl and one day you'll rape her and live happily ever after, and he gives him a dirty look. And so now we're in the center room and Novak joined the chat and she says that he's like got a built in defense, like, oh I'm gay again again. So then Hendrix says, well, he's not different from any other rapists. They view all sexuality as sick and depraved. Sex is equated with degradation and violence. Stabler adds that he probably blames women for making him gay. And then like he told the victims to tell him how much they want him, he feels helpless and wants control. And so Hendrix and my boy David Wilson, they have like same vibe theories.
Speaker 4: And then rapist you know, gay or straight?
Speaker 2: They want power, and Novak goes, fine, arrest him and Craigan goes, no, don't, and they're like, what the fuck why? Because he didn't do it. Warner call Thomas Mathers. DNA did not match the blood at either crime scene. They ran it three times, they have to cut him loose. I'm like shocked. I'm like truly shocked. And again, I've seen this episode so many times. I'm like shocked. At this point, I'm like, what the fuck? What the fuck? What is happening. So Benson and Sailor then start fighting about Hendrix, and Benson wants a shot at Miranda without Rebecca. She thought being a cop was beneath her and left and I don't want her doing cop work.
Speaker 4: And he goes, oh, is this what? This is?
Speaker 2: Like an inferiority complex, and Benson goes, listen, bitch, I know you're on the rebound and everything, but if you could keep it out of work, that would be great, and he gives her a look of annoyance but also like quite smoldering, and as he turns the corner, Rebecca's they're waiting, going like, I don't want to come between you and your partner, but also she wants to talk about something else. She goes the shaving CT on Mather's neck. It's strange, she you know, he said it was shaving, but he had stubble, so why wouldn't the blood clot So he has his little confused face on and he says, let's find out what this means. So now we're with sexy tech Doyle. So the blood at both crime scenes like, oh, also a friend of the pod, Doyle like, where are you following me?
Speaker 1: But I it wasn't what Karen Browning at the beginning too. Yes, yes, like this is a big one.
Speaker 2: This is like our most like guests.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Floric Yeap and Diane Neil. I mean.
Speaker 2: We've had almost every single person from this episode on our podcast.
Speaker 4: Damn, that is a thrill. That is a thrill.
Speaker 2: And no guest today if you were wondering, Yeah, on Hetty End Park, we should have gotten Hetty.
Speaker 4: End you know, we should have heard one scene. Ah fuck.
Speaker 2: But I must talk to Dallas about this episode, right, Greg Yeats was so much to talk about, So I don't I feel like we only touched on this one and we had met him and we liked so much of his other work and yeah's just so such a pleasure. Yeah, like that was a thrill, so basically sexy text oile. But I always forget his real name and fake name, like Caro Flannagan is there? Like someone's a flanagain, right, like why.
Speaker 1: Mike Doyle and he is playing Ryan o'hallarin.
Speaker 4: Mike Doyle's real name is.
Speaker 2: Playing Ryan o'halarin okay, which might as well be o flanagan, like they're the same. No, don't say say okay Hallarin Halarin.
Speaker 4: Okay? So where am I? Where am I attack? Okay?
Speaker 2: So the blood's at both crime scenes had a low platelet count, which would make blood like longer to clot. And what causes that? It's like disease or drugs? And is there enough blood for the talk screen? They say, But he goes, there's enough blood for that, but you would have to like test for specific drugs. And Hendrix it clicks because she stills got some cop in her, you know what I mean, And she goes, well, he took medical even college, right, so let's try to get his medical records from Michigan State and see what happens. So now we're back at Miranda's apartment. Detective Benson's in there. Her sister lets her in and she's talking about vapors and gases and bugs and stuff. Benson pushes in and goes, was there one or two men because they don't have the information about the blood and diseases? Yeah, like there, They're like, what is actually going on? And so she's talking about teleportation, cobalt three atoms plus one. He found them in the library. He's made of books in my hand. So Benson's like, oh my god, he found you at the library. He stalks as victims. So she goes changing all the words burning up without fire. So Benson takes her to the library so she can show Benson where she saw him. And she's walking through the books and Benson asks if this is where the terrorist was and he was pretending to read, but she knew he was recording her thoughts. Where was he standing? And they take her to the books and it's principles of particle physics, she says, and so they nod over to the bookshelf.
Speaker 4: Miranda starts crying.
Speaker 2: Benson sees the book on the shelf, grabs it with a cloth, and he was reading this book and Ben. You know, she's still babbling, and she's like, girl, you gotta take your meds. It will make the terrorists go away, Like, come on, promise you will take these meds. And she goes, they're recording you too. Benson looks up, sees a camera. There's a security camera at the library.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. Huge.
Speaker 2: So then Benson walks in confident as fucking too. The preestinct, Stabler and Hendrix are also smugs, so everyone has information. So then so why did the blood not match? He had fucking leukemia. The bone marrow was replaced with another, so his the blood donor like, so his DNA, like his blood and body DNA do not match. So that's why he let them swab the inside of his cheek, because his blood is being made in a way that like from this bone mare.
Speaker 4: And this is Neil. This is Neil Bear.
Speaker 2: This is a show runner, like we have a real doctor showrunner in these years. This is a Neil Bear medical fucking twist. I love it. I just like fucking love this show so fucking much. And because I was wondering, like, obviously he did it, why would he let the swab happen? And it's because he fucking knew the Bone Marrow created New Blood.
Speaker 4: I just I can't with this show. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: But they got the blood information without following the rules, you know, like Stabler played some games because she would lose her license. So like they're like, what are we gonna do? It's not enough to get a blood warrant. Ben's holding a VHS and goes, well, this is we have proof of him stalking Miranda with no fucking sunglasses. So then, Judge Petrofsky, we're all at court, no bail, you're going to be you know you're going to jail, bitch, gabble, gabble, gabble, no VAX smiles at Benson. The bailiff takes him. Rebecca runs to Olivia be ready, guys to be sad. Miranda Cola is dead. She took her own life. So Benson is like what and yeah, so she took her own life. Her sister found her this morning. This is devastating, SVU like, what the fuck? Why did you do this to us? Benson makes it about her immediately and goes, ah, god is this and I told you so lecture and she goes, you know, for going so hard on her when Rebecca kept being like, can you chill out? Like she yes, schizophrenia, and she says her death has nothing to do with you. It's the voices in her head who have told her to do this for years. The voices got louder after the rape. You can't save everyone, Olivia. Olivia starts tearing up. She's so talented. Rebecca says sorry, She turns around and gets into the elevator. This death has hurt our girl so extra hard. She stands in the courtroom crying and that's stickwolf.
Speaker 4: Baby, So like.
Speaker 1: They have to this guy, but like his motivation is it? Like he's just a self hating gay man and he's trying to like what is his motivation for doing this? I know it's power and all that, but then he's also like is.
Speaker 4: I think he's by? I think he's by, But it also.
Speaker 1: Feels like I felt like there was like one little loop that needed to be closed, like his mom, like he grew up religious and his mom told him.
Speaker 2: Like that he became a sin because in my head, like he it's like it's in cell culture. Maddi Wiener has like an incredible joke about this where it's like these guys, it's not about like no one wanting to fuck them. It's like they want an a to armists to want to fuck. Yeah, they want Margot. Look at Marishka Hargatango. You wouldn't look twice at me. It's like she would look twice at most guys. She's gorgeous. Yeah, So then they get mad that they can't have like the hottest, most perfect girl, like they're not.
Speaker 4: They're also not willing.
Speaker 2: To like like fuck a girl that they're that's not their vision in their head.
Speaker 4: But like.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so that's so that's the thing. But in the gay world, he was able to snag a ten. Yeah, and he could in a probably normal world if he had whatever. I just feel like, you know, gay culture is like so because you know, like in Promison, it's like there's bare week, there's this like people are so into their types and everyone is so different. I don't know, there is something like special and so like, so it was this thing where I think he wants like physical perfection and he is by and he was able to find like a physically perfect man to be with, but like was not able to do that with women.
Speaker 4: But I don't know, why he attacks like quote unquote.
Speaker 2: Weaker women or women with like like disabilities or holding a baby or something.
Speaker 1: I think for him it's just easier, like because I don't think he's that Yeah. I think he's like it's like opportunity and ease.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like that's I think that's why, Like with the wheelchair woman Colleen, she was so beautiful, and I think that's why he was, Like I thought you would be the one like finding people very beautiful but with a handicap like that what Chloe Radcliff has a funny joke. She has a joint birthmark on her face and she goes, yes, it's a birthmark.
Speaker 4: No myself, this seems not low enough to fuck you. It's like so.
Speaker 2: It's like it is this thing where like you assume someone's gonna be more attainable because of their perceived flaws, right. I think that's why people get really mad at like people that they deem like shouldn't be confident when they're confident, you know what I mean? Or if like bigger people wear certain things like yeah, I think it makes.
Speaker 4: Your life confident, like in like a surprise way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's like because they don't they don't have it within them, so they're like get mad or like don't understand how someone else has it or how someone dates or does other things.
Speaker 4: So like I don't know, I don't know. I'm glad I don't understand this guy. Yeah, no, no, I.
Speaker 1: Just like I just was like he like like any he hates smoking, but he like.
Speaker 4: Goes to his mom's house reeks of cigarettes.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's he has an interesting pathology. Anyway, let's get into the crimes. There's a few crimes that are floating around. Obviously, nothing is ana to a match here.
Speaker 4: There's one that's really wild like this.
Speaker 1: These crimes took place though September fifteenth of two thousand and four, and then this episode aired like November thirtieth of two thousand and four. And I just don't know if there's like enough time to like get the news over to America because this crime happened in Britain. Had the episode be written, shot and on television in two months time like that? But it might just be coincidental, or it might be Neil Bair, or it might be Neil Bhar being like write it, let's go, you know.
Speaker 4: But basically this guy.
Speaker 1: Daniel Gonzalez was known as the Freddy Krueger Killer and the Mummies Boy killer, and he was a spree killer in Britain who in September, and he wasn't a rapist either, so it's a little bit of a different mom. In September of two thousand and four, he killed four people in two days in London and Sussex. He was inspired by Nightmare on Elm Street Friday the thirteenth. He wanted to be like quote unquote a famous serial killer, and he did target elderly and sick people in his stabbing spree. He wrote letters to himself using the name Zippy, which was like an old nickname of his, and talked about how much he loved killing and he said, quote it's one of the best things I've done in my life, and how he's just like Freddy Krueger. His mother had previously begged her government representatives in the UK to provide mental health services for her son and wrote in her letter to them, does my son have to commit murder to get help? And then his insanity defense was denied and he was given six life sentences in two thousand and six, and he eventually was put in to broad More Hospital, which is a place we've talked about.
Speaker 4: It's like truly Arkham Asylum. It feels like.
Speaker 1: It's like we've talked about broad More, right, it's like the one in the UK that had all these horrific I think it's been shut down now, but way is it still around. It feels like it's like the inspiration for like American horror story asylum.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's still there.
Speaker 1: It's a high security psychiatric hospital, hospital hospital. It was not like a fucking media it's a it's a high security psychiatric hospital in England. But we've talked about it before that it has like it's come under attack for not being like the right, Like the conditions are terrible and like there's a high level of people with severe psychiatric problems. So he took his own life there in two thousand and seven. I think more likely it's based on this case. The Centricity rapist. In the summer of nineteen ninety seven, four rapes take place in Philadelphia. All of them are like home invasions, like a home intruder. Three quarters of them, three out of the four take play, three.
Speaker 4: Quarters of them.
Speaker 2: My thing changed into a fraction three out of the four rapes take place on the same street, so this I don't know why this person is so hard to find.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 1: There's these four rapes that happened in ninety seven, and then nine months later in May of nineteen ninety eight, a graduate student at the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania my dream school that I did not get into. Really I wanted to go there is your dream school. I just like went for a visit and was like, this place is awesome. Like I went and I had such a good time, and I had like just the scores and grades to maybe get in there, and I didn't, but it made sense to me and this woman that Wharton is their business school, famous business school at penn And one of the a grad student named Shannon Scheiber, was raped and murdered in her Center City apartment and the perp was dubbed the Center City rapist at that point. Then one more rape was committed in the area in August of ninety nine, and then they just didn't find the guy.
Speaker 4: And the attacks stopped.
Speaker 1: So this is sort of like equivalent to them tracking what Dallas Robert, what Thomas Mathers like was doing the attacks when he lived in Cleveland, in the attacks when he lived in Michigan. So then two years later in two thousand and one, and his whereabouts are a little bit iffy. In the two years in between, he joined the Air Force and stuff like that. But in two thousand and one, rapes started happening in Fort Collins, Colorado, same mo mostly home invasions, six total from May to August of two thousand and one, and they all took place around Colorado State University. Meanwhile, in two thousand and one, DNA had linked the Fort Collins rapists to the Center City rapist, so he's the same person the Center City rapist has been doing the rapes in uh Fort Collins, Colorado and in Philadelphia and to Shannon Scheiber's murder. They had some fingerprint evidence in one of the Colorado cases, like things were matching up, plus DNA evidence, So then Pennsylvania and Colorado worked together to figure out who had the connections, like who lived both in Philadelphia, Fort Collins, and like their whereabouts fit the same time of the crimes, and they eventually narrowed it down to Troy Graves, who had joined the Air Force and relocated to Fort Collins from Center City, Philadelphia, so he fits and then on April twenty third of two thousand and two, the Fort Collins police arrested him and he eventually pled guilty to crimes in both cities. He's serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole at the Sterling Correctional Facility in Sterling, Colorado. He got sixty to one hundred and twenty years in prison in Pennsylvania, but will serve his time in Colorado because he pled guilty there first, and he's never getting out. But Shannon Scheiber's rape and murder actually sparked a lot of criticism and investigation of Philadelphia's Special Victims Unit, And apparently there was a lot of investigative reporting from the Philadelphia Inquirer real revealing that they were not investigating sex crimes thoroughly and they had a lot of biases, and that detectives often wanted to like hide their their errors in this by incorrectly classifiy rape reports in a non criminal category. So it became because of that, it became harder for them to connect serial attacks, I know. And so there was there's do you imagine, Yeah, her family were.
Speaker 2: Being raped and you're like worried about your records, like I can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and the backlash, and then there was a push from the Women's Law Project of Philadelphia UH to investigate and to help improve the city's handling of rape cases, which they said has actually greatly improved. But of course not, no, it's perfect. There's always more work to be done. But yeah, like her rape and murder. Like her parents also I think tried to sue the police department because when they arrived, they didn't enter the apartment immediately because the screaming had stopped, like the screams had been reported were stopped, and they thought she they thought their daughter may have been alive, and that they were wasting valuable time that they could have been like saving her. But another crime, the most famous crime that this one is being linked to is Richard Speck uh. And it doesn't really track one to one for me, But I don't think there's another espect that the name does sound familiar, yes, because it is famous, right, like and same with as you. I'm like, I know that name, who is that guy? And I like, I don't really know the story. This is another crime of the century. This is being called, and I think I confuse this guy sometimes with Ted Bundy's crimes, but we'll get into it. Richard Speck had a bit of a rough life, like he loved his father, and his father died when he was little, and then he had an alcoholic step dad who he hated, but not enough to stay away from the bottle. He regularly started boozing at thirteen and was in tons of trouble his whole life, like robbery, knife fights, this and that. In nineteen sixty six, I believe he's around twenty five years old. He in Monmouth in Monmouth, Illinois. Monmouth, Monmouth, Richard Speck's boyhood hometown, sixty five year old Virgil Harris was blindfolded, bound and raped in her home and then robbed of the two dollars and fifty cents she made babysitting earlier that night. And he was never tried for this crime, but items of her were recovered from his home later, So it seems stands to reason that this is like about when he started escalating in his crimes. He also there was also a woman murdered in Monmouth one week later that a lot of people believe is tied to him. But then a couple months after those events, in July of nineteen sixty six, he's staying with his sister and her family in the Chicago area. They're in Jefferson Manor neighborhood of Chicago. I guess it's super South, is what I was reading. And eventually his sister and her family are like, you got to get out of here, and her brother in law. His brother in law was trying to get him signed up with the Merchant Marines, but he kept like losing out on the positions on these boats, Like he had to keep showing up places to be like can I get on the boat? And they'd be like, no, not today, And he was pissed. So on July third to on Julu. On July thirteenth, when another assignment didn't work out, he spent the day day drinking in a bar. He meets a woman named Ellame Cooper Age fifty three, who'd been drinking at the same bars as Speck. He took her at knife point back to his room at an inn, where he rapes her and steals a twenty two pistol of hers. So then he leaves his room dressed in black with a switchblade and a handgun that he's just stolen off of his rape victim. After a few more drinks, at eleven PM, Speck breaks into a townhouse in Jefferson Manor neighborhood of Chicago. And the townhouse was a dorm for nursing students at this time. And this is when he enters the home and he goes on a killing spree. And I think we've all heard about this murderer killing all these nursing students.
Speaker 4: I think, in my mind, I don't realize it was in one day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think in my mind I just googled him to be like, why do I know him? And then I was like, oh, Chicago, maybe that's why. And then it was like, oh, so he like was looking for nurses. Okay, I can't believe it's in one night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in one night, he held these women in a room for hours, leading them out one by one to their deaths by either stabbing or strangling. He let twenty to thirty minutes pass between each murder, Like so terrifying. I feel to take your time like that, and like it reminds me of like Richard Ramirez, like just like drinking some.
Speaker 4: Food bar food and the gold.
Speaker 1: I say, yeah, just like taking your time because you're like, oh, they're never gonna no one's gonna find me, Like, no one's gonna He killed eight women, Patricia Mattisek, Nina Joe Schmall, Pamela Wilkining, Suzanne Ferris, Maryan Jordan, leda Gargulo and Valentina Passion, and then he raped And I only read about him raping his last victim, twenty two year old Gloria Davy. So that's the aid of them. What's wild is corazon A Muau, another nurse living in the house, was the only survivor because she managed to crawl and hide under a bed while Speck was out of the room, and he possibly lost count with how many of them were there to begin with. She stayed hidden until six o'clock in the morning, and Speck later claimed he was drunk and high at the time of the murder. I think I get this confused, because Ted Bundy did break into a sorority house and kill a bunch of.
Speaker 4: Women in one night, and I think I just got them.
Speaker 2: Like I And there's a survivor there too, I think, so, yeah, no, there is, Oh.
Speaker 4: That's right. Did you want Las Bible?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, like he seems very you know, Bundy esque or whatever. But Bundy was like his crumbs like started ten years later, I think. But Speck was arrested. Varying reports said he was arrested two to four days later, and his princes match.
Speaker 4: Those found at the house.
Speaker 1: Also, like Chorussone was a witness like it was him, and a panel of doctors evaluated Speck and deemed him mentally competent to stand trial. He was trying to argue that he was a sane person, but that he was insane at the time of the murders brought on by drugs and alcohol, which we've seen before does not really work as a defense. And while he awaited trial, he saw a psychiatrist who found out who diagnosed him as having obsessive compulsive personality disorder as well as a quote unquote Madonna prostitute outlook on women. And I've met men like this before, like he finds. Well, I met men that I feel like put women into two of those categories. With this man, they said he found women to be very saintly impure until they did something to like disappoint him, and then he would turn violent, so that could be sort of like some of the crossover too of the character in the epist, like besides the besides the number of the attacks happening on one night, this isn't very similar. But also this guy in the episode was more of a rapist, and the murder, the one murder he did to do, seemed like it happened because of a struggle. But so Speck goes on trial in April of nineteen sixty seven in Puria. The media was calling him a mass murderer, which at the time was not a common term. Like obviously very common today, but at the time, like mass murderer was not a common phrase, and so that was like some articles call him like the first mass murderer, even though he's not. He just it was, I think, like when it started to get more popularized. At the trial, the sole surviving nurse, corazon A Morale, got out of her seat on the stand, walked right up to Spec and pointed a finger at him to id him, almost touching him. Her finger was so close, and there's like photos of her entering the courtroom like just such a badass, Like to the trauma of listening to eight of your friends get murdered and sexually assaulted and to be like, I'm going to show up in court and I'm going to fucking id this guy. She was also like an exchange student from the Philippines along with a cup I think one or two of the other victims were as well, so definitely a harrowing experience for her. And it's like their nurses, these people just want to help people. It's like so gross. So it took forty nine minutes to find him guilty. Obviously, he got the death penalty by electric chair like pretty immediately. But then in nineteen seventy two, the death penalty was ruled unconstitutional, so he was re sentenced to four hundred to twelve hundred years in prison, which was eight consecutive sentences of fifty to one hundred and fifty years, which was then reduced to one hundred to three hundred years. I don't even understand what is the point of reducing it at that point. But he tried for parole seven times. He was denied every time. From nineteen sixty seven tonight ninety one, he tried to get parole and was denied every time. And when he was at the Stateville Correctional Center in Crest Hill, Illinois. He was nicknamed the Birdman because he had these two sparrows.
Speaker 4: That came into his cell.
Speaker 1: And there the guys who did Minehunter, the guys that they're based off of. One of them actually has a story of like this one sparrow was injured and Speck like nursed it back to life and then had it on its shoulder like I would have it on his little shoulder, this bird. And then the guards were like, you can't have a pet. And he took the bird and threw it into a fan to like kill it, and they were like, we thought you loved the bird. He was like, yeah, but if I can't have it, nobody can. Like Loco Loco in Lacaves.
Speaker 4: This man.
Speaker 1: So he hated the press and he only gave one interview in nineteen seventy eight to a Chicago Tribune columnist named Bob Green, and in that interview he confessed to the murders first time publicly. He Speck died of a heart attack the day before he turned fifty and nineteen ninety one, but that wasn't the last of him. In nineteen ninety six, a Chicago News anchor named Bill Curtis, any recollection of this news anchor, Lisa, I don't know. If maybe he was like Bill Curdis, Bill Curtis, it would have to be by face.
Speaker 4: Let's see Curtis with a k hmm. No, okay, No, he's not hitting for me. Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, he receives in the mail videotapes anonymously sent by an anonymous lawyer that are videos that were taken inside the Stateville prison showing the inmates going absolutely ham like, doing cocaine, rolling joints, flashing fat stacks of cash, and there's footage of Richard Speck's in the middle of all of it.
Speaker 4: He's in the middle like.
Speaker 1: There's footage of him giving oral sex to other inmates, doing all this coke like whatever. And he says right to the camera, if they only knew how much fun I was having, they would turn me loose. So he also in these tapes brags about his murders and says, quote, strangle up her. It ain't like you see on TV. You have to go at it for about three and a half minutes. It takes a lot of strength. So thankfully this crazy man is not on our planet any longer.
Speaker 2: But they definitely had to take a one night like and I'm like, I don't understand how nobody heard screaming or anything.
Speaker 4: Maybe he had them all bound really quickly. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but yeah, he is to me, very infamous. But I just forgot that he was the guy that did these nursing murders. And I don't know a lot of anger in a man like that, I don't know, but he was they had to look into like. It made the It made the prison system in the area look really bad obviously, that these psychopaths were like living it up and like partying in jail, so definitely made them take a second look and crack down.
Speaker 4: I think. So that's that.
Speaker 1: But we have no guests today, so I guess we could just move on to post mortem. Okay, so no guests today. I don't think Amanda Plummer. I couldn't find pictures of her showing up to the Emmys where she won the award for this role, so I don't think she was gonna do our podcast. But it's about the work, about the work. I did love that there were so many people if we've interviewed on the pod in this episode, and.
Speaker 4: I can't believe that.
Speaker 2: And just so everybody knows I am recording from a bed because my hotel room does not have a desk or a table. It's like, that's great, they should probably put that on the thing. I just not even have a baby table by the couch, like I would have sat on the couch. But I don't even know if there's plugs and there's no table, like I don't know.
Speaker 4: I like want to reach my iced coffee. Where are you putting things down? Yeah? Where's your coffee? Like on a pillow?
Speaker 2: I put it on a there there's little circles here. Look, there's like little circles. Oh, there's like tiny little circle tables. Yeah, on the sides. I mean, it is a hotel. I enjoy I've stayed in this company's hotels across the nation, like I do. I enjoy their stuff. But yeah, definitely not for for work. But I want the coffee, but I have to fully lean over this bed, like but I just want a little sip.
Speaker 4: I just want to sip.
Speaker 2: But I'm attached to the zoom recorder and the howards are touching and then they buzz. It's like oh, and then I don't want Okay, Okay.
Speaker 4: I got it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that was the lean of the century. But yeah, this episode is such a classic. I'm so terrific cover it. It's so horrible. I can't believe they got Dallas Roberts as like a horrible rapist twice, Like they didn't even switch it up for him, like he was a rapist one time. Uh self hating, homophobic, uh rapist of women who are like injured in some way, like they're they're in a wheelchair or on crutches or this Amanda Plumber's poor character is like stuffering with mental.
Speaker 2: Ill Schizophrenia is one of my biggest fears. I think I've I've knock on wood past the age where I could get it.
Speaker 4: But you never know.
Speaker 2: You're one drug trip away, yeah, one drug trip away from losing all tethers to reality. Yeah, one of my biggest fears, Like you, what you think is happening isn't happening, Like what the fuck?
Speaker 1: I had an uncle who had schizophrenia, and he was so funny. I loved being around him when I was like a kid, and I loved him.
Speaker 4: But you know, his life was hard. His life was tough.
Speaker 1: You know it was hard to hold a job and you know, stay on, like because then you say, you get on your medication, you're you're feeling more lucid and and you're like I don't need this and you get off and it's like, you know, it's really really.
Speaker 4: Because my thing too is like it's always bad stuff.
Speaker 2: It's like always terrorisms or molecules or like gangs are after you or bugs are crawling around, Like does anyone have ideations that are like fun?
Speaker 4: I can see and yeah, like this.
Speaker 2: Over the depths of darkness, Like why can't we just have like a fun or schizophrenia? Let us know if that's possible where you're actually seeing like awesome things. I'm curious if that's a possibility for this illness. But thank god everyone pushed through and then she's dead in the end. That's like that's the worst gut punch.
Speaker 1: I would say that killed live and uh yeah, I later Live has better interactions with doctor Elizabeth Hendricks, but in one she's like keep it in your pants, maloney or uh stabler, like she's really not hiding it, and then to have her she's pissed at her partner. She doesn't like this lady all this shit's going on, and then to have her one of her victims die in the end. Not not a great Again, we can't let Olivia be happy or get a win, but it's it was an amazing performance.
Speaker 4: I mean one of who else won? Who else has won for.
Speaker 1: Best Guest Cynthia Nixon, Amanda Plummer, the one who was like the French accent Isabelle lupire No, the one that's like Lena, uh not Lena Allen, Leslie Caron, Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Neil Bert getting the ladies his Emmy their Emmy's.
Speaker 1: I feel like they don't look at SVU anymore for Emmy's because it's just been on for so long. But sometimes I think there's really great guest stars on there they should give it. But you know, guest star Emmy's, I feel like, is more of a money play campaign.
Speaker 4: Like it's always super famous people.
Speaker 1: It's never like an amazing actress who like nails it, but it's like her third thing she's ever done, you know.
Speaker 2: I just honestly, I'm like so giddy about heated rivalry being back at work.
Speaker 1: I can't actually my friends saying that my friend that I'm staying with was like, yeah, my feet is all heated rivalry, and we were talking about the show and stuff, and I was like, oh yeah, my co host of my podcast is deep in yeah, like.
Speaker 2: I think some people thought it would go away, like I think this is for life, but who knows?
Speaker 4: Who knows?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Okay, yeah, okay, Let's move on to what would Sister Peg do? Our weekly segment where we direct you towards an organization, a documentary, a an article, something to just give you more information about what we talked about in today's episode. And I mentioned this organization and I really think what they do is awesome. But the Women's Law Project, they were the ones that got everybody to look at how the case in Philadelphia of the case of the woman who was the Wharton student who was raped by the Center City rapists and murdered was handled by Philadelphia SVU, and how they were totally misclassifying their cases and not doing things by the book and improving the SVU.
Speaker 4: There and hopefully everywhere.
Speaker 1: The Women's Law Project is a non profit, public interest legal organization working to defend and advance the rights of women, girls, and LGBTQ plus people in Pennsylvania and beyond. They are the largest state based law center addressing the rights of women, girls, and LGBTQ plus people. And according to the project, they quote leverage impact, litigation, policy, advocacy, public education, and direct assistance and representation to dismantle discriminatory laws, policies, and practices and eradicate institutional biases and unfair treatment based on sex end quote. And they obviously have a lot of work ahead of them because things have gotten better, but they are still bad. So for more info or to donate, head over to Women's Law Project dot org. That will be posted in our show notes obviously linked in our show notes and then posted on our Instagram page in a story the day this episode comes out, and then those are all saved in our WWSPD highlights over it. That's messed up pod Instagram, so get on over there if you want to get a link.
Speaker 2: And next week we'll be doing Guardians and Gladiators Season twenty two, episode one, so definitely catch us next week. Thanks all for supporting us.
Speaker 4: We love you. Bye, I love you guys. See you next week. Bye.
Speaker 2: That's messed up as an exactly right production. If you have compliments you'd like to give, us or episodes you'd like us to cover. Shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com. Listen to That's Messed Up on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain, and.
Speaker 1: To our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song, and Carly Geen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia Hardstart, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 3: Dun Dun