Speaker 1: Hey, y'all, thanks so much for joining me for another episode of Therapy for Black Girls University. We'll get right into our conversation afterword from our sponsors. For this episode, I have the pleasure of sitting down with singer, songwriter and actress Keana Ledey for a deeply honest and heartfelt conversation. We talked about her journey with bipolar disorder, how she's learned to navigate her diagnosis with compassion, and the ways therapy, boundaries and connection have supported her along the way. We also explored the emotional world of her deluxe album Cut The Ties, and the themes of self love, closure, and transformation that run throughout the project. She opened up about the creative process behind her music, the tenderness requires to tell the truth about her experiences and what is means to heal while still being in the public eye. If something resonates with you while enjoying our conversation, please share with us on social media using the hashtag TBG in Session. Here's our conversation. Thank you so much for joining us today, Kiana.
Speaker 2: Of course, thank you for having me. I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I love some story by hearing you talk a little bit about what do you feel like is most important for people to understand about you, both professionally and creatively at this moment in your life.
Speaker 2: I think the most important thing that people should know about me is that I'm figuring it out. I'm a human being, just like everybody else. And one of the things that I learned, and I know my mom has told me that she's learned, and like everybody learns as they get older, is that you don't know what you're doing, and you think that all these people that are older than you have the shit together. I just learn as I get older, the older I get, the less I know. So that bleeds into my professional life too, because I am my profession So not to judge me too much, please, I am really trying to figure it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I appreciate you saying that, because I think we're all figuring out. You're right, your mom is right, You're right, everybody's right, like we don't all know what we're doing. We're just going day by day trying to figure it out. But I think the interesting part of you know the work that you do in other artists is that you're figuring it out very publicly, right, you just did like, oh, don't judge me. So what kinds of things do you feel like help you to figure it out?
Speaker 2: I think the people that I surround myself with really helps. I have a partner that's really great, and my manager is amazing. I make sure to surround myself with people that I don't feel judged by and that have patience with me, I think is the most important part. There's patience and there's understanding because I'm learning so much more about myself every single day, and it's been interesting realizations and struggles that I've uncovered over the last couple of years. So being able to have a community that gives me grace is everything.
Speaker 1: Are there things in particular that you feel like people have been very judging about as it relates to you.
Speaker 2: So I did a mushroom trip the other day and I realized that I actually have this like deep fear of judgment even if people aren't judging me. I group doing pageants, so and I've been doing this since I was fourteen, so I'm used to the judgment and having people that are hyper critical, and I think I've taken that on as something that I am fearful of and things that I push on myself. So I'm major imposter syndrome, and so I don't even necessarily think it's other people judging me. I think I just have this extreme fear of judgment.
Speaker 1: H That makes a lot of sense, But also what bravery to feel that and still put yourself out there the way that you do through your artistry.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I feel like I have no choice. This is just clam so I help people enjoy it. I hope it's at least entertaining and at the very least right at the very least.
Speaker 1: So the name of your latest project is Cutting Ties, which I think is a very powerful title. What do you feel like you were cutting ties with in either your personal or professional life that led to that title.
Speaker 2: I was letting go of a lot of relationships, not just one, but a lot of relationships that were talks and a part of my life for eight years because I had so many changes in my environment and my mental health changed so much. I realized that longtime friends aren't forever friends. They don't have to be, and relationships can get really sticky and you can feel super stuck in them, but you don't have to stay stuck in them. Yeah. I think as I was growing into myself, I grew more of a voice, and that meant that I might have to cut ties with people. I'm a super loving and understanding, non judgemental, open person, but once somebody crosses that line, I'm very unforgiving. And I think I've had to learn whether the unforgiving is being unforgiving or just not forgetting, and what the boundary is of being able to give people chances but also know when it's time to stop.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's a conversation lots of people have been having around, you know, like when is it time to let go of a friend? How do you know? And I hear you saying that you know, you had some difficult conversations and then at some point realize, Okay, boundaries have been crossed and I have to choose myself in this case.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what on the deluxe album, Like, what did you feel like was left unsaid from the standard version of cutting ties to the deluxe version? What more were you able to say on the deluxe.
Speaker 2: Well, first, I mean, I'm just so happy with the people that came on to do the album. I love Queen, I love Chloe, I love Beja. They're all great people. I tried it just a big thing about me because I try to keep myself surrounded by really good, genuine people. And I loved having them on there because I loved working with them and they are amazing people. I think the last song that I have on there, called Jerry, is a song that was supposed to be on the next project that we have already finished, and it didn't quite make the cut, and my manager was like, this has to go somewhere, like we have to put it out, and it ended up being like the perfect transition song. I think you hear a lot of my mourning, almost like you see the love, you see the morning, and then you see when I start to set boundaries, and I think, now after the boundaries, I don't know about you, but I feel resentment coming after I put down the boundaries because I'm like, I gave you so many chances and I was so loyal and so genuine. I'm excited to show people more of the resentment feeling that they get from jury. Going into the next.
Speaker 1: Project, I found that the resentment is sometimes, you know, a lot of times related to other people, but there's also some like resentment for myself, like when I have not oh, I stored myself right, Like is that a part of the process as well?
Speaker 2: Yes? Absolutely, I mean I shamed myself all the time, I think being a brown black girl, you know, dealing with mental health struggles my entire life, I've learned to shame myself. Really well, it's really hard to forgive yourself when you let people in and they let you down, for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And what's the process of forgiving yourself in because that has to happen. So what have the process been like for you?
Speaker 2: I think the biggest part of the process is understanding that I did the best I could with the tools I was given. My therapist says that to me all the time, giving myself grace, speaking to my therapist and really connecting with my inner child and realizing like I was given all of these tools that are not necessarily always useful or helpful, and one of those is like being self aware, but sometimes being painfully self aware and knowing when it's time to stop therapising myself and let my therapist guide me through that.
Speaker 1: That's such a hazard, right especially, I mean, you've talked very openly about your mental health journey, about your therapists, your experiences with multiple therapists, and so at some point you do have to realize like, Okay, I can just be a human, Like everything is not like a self assessment and picking myself apart.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, Yeah.
Speaker 1: How do you feel like mixing your mental health journey with your creative journey? Like how has that shown up been your work?
Speaker 2: I had this realization the other day. When I was a kid growing up, it was a very toxic living situation, and I realized that I was just a really sad kid. I was dealing with depression. I remember like my first major depressive episode when I was like twelve. I realized that music was not the thing that made me happy. It's a thing that made me feel comfortable with being sad. And I've been taking that with me. You know, I go through different shifts in my journey, and I go down different packs and I learn more about myself, so my music just but I think the thing that remains the same is my authenticity. When it comes to the sad music. Those are the things that make me feel the best. They feel good when I'm performing them. It makes people cry, and it makes me cry, and then being super honest about my mental health, being honest about my sexual abuse, Like all these things are the only things that make me feel comfortable in music still, So yeah, I think being super vulnerable and open and genuine is the thing that makes me feel like the music matters more.
Speaker 1: From our conversation after the break, So what has it been like as an artist living with a bipolar disorder.
Speaker 2: I think the thing that I've struggled with the most is I take everything very personally, and I think that's a huge trigger for my bipolar And I also don't have a lot of time where I can sit and check in with myself. Having basically zero time for so many years just working my ass off in a very inconsistent and unpredictable environment made me not take care of my mental health and not understand what was going on. But when I got on medication, I was really scared to get on medication because I was like, it's going to take away my creativity. I think that's a huge struggle too. I think I was in denial for years about what was going on because I was like, I didn't I don't want it to take away my drive. I don't want it to take away my creativity because a lot of the music that I wrote that I felt the best about came from sadness, but it ended up making the music better because I wasn't dealing with all these extra thoughts. I think the bipolar magnified even more my fear of judgment because I had a lot of really negative, downspiraling messages I was telling myself constantly, so hearing negative things and then telling myself negative things on top of that constantly. It became really tough. There were, of course, what I thought were great moments at the time when I felt like I was on top of the world in my career, and I felt like I was on top of the world personally. You know, mania is a very real thing, and if you're bipolari to understand mania, feels amazing at the time, and then you realize that there's a huge crash and that was affecting my health a lot when I was having rough times in my career and rough times mentally. So yeah, yeah, it's I think the unpredictability in general and my fear of judgment were the hardest things to deal with. For sure.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you sharing so honestly about your fears about taking medication, because I think it is a huge thing for people who are creative, right, like, how is this going to change my creativity? Am I gonna be the same? What kinds of things helped you to confront that fear and to become okay with taking the medication.
Speaker 2: So I had a couple people tell me that I was bipolar for years since I was twenty, And then when I was twenty twenty three or twenty four, there was a song I wrote about depression called Heavy, and I had Jennifer Lewis, who's really open about her mental health struggles, on the song. I took a clip from a podcast that she did that my mom had sent me, and I asked to put it on a song, and she asked to meet with me. So I went to her house and I was talking to her and I was just telling her what I was going through and she was like, bit your bipolar And I was like, no, I'm not. She was like, yes you are. And she's also bi polar, and she was like, yes you are. She told me to read her book and call her as soon as I'm finished, and that she's not going to reach out to me because I'm not going to change until I'm ready. I'm not going to look for help until I'm ready. And I hadn't had a therapist yet that I trusted and I didn't call her, so I was in denial for sure. And I had another therapist before that was white, and I felt like she didn't really understand family dynamics, so she couldn't really understand me, and she didn't understand my experience. And then a couple of years later, I ended up being referred to a black female therapist and that changed everything. The way that she approached things was also very different, Like she asked me, what would you do if I told you you were bit polar? And I think at that point I was so low and being told by somebody I felt super comfortable with and I trusted, my mind started to open up a little more and I just said, I think I just laughed, Like anytime she tells me something, I just laughed. How to respond to it? It's like when comfortable, you know, nervous anxious response, I guess. And when I accepted the diagnosis, she kind of was like trying to help me figure out how to manage things without medication, but I think at some point I was just so desperate to feel better, and she helped me get into this mindset of like, am I gonna live like this forever? Or would I rather just try something because I have nothing to lose. And that put me into a very vulnerable space that I was really scared to be in, but also opened my mind, and she referred me to a psychiatrist, and then I had my first conversation. It felt like I was breaking the seal, like I was just like, all right, let's try it. Let's see what happens. And I know I can get off of it if I need to, but I might as well just try something because there are no other options at this point. I'm either gonna just live like this forever or try to change something in some way. So yeah, then I tried the first medication, and I had to realize also that it was going to take a couple tries. Just like a therapist, you have to find the one that fits. And took me a while, but I'm finally on something on a couple few different pills that make me feel comfortable and like I can live my life day to day. And it was so magical. It really felt like magic. Like I had lived my whole life having these negative voices in my head things I was telling myself, and I would look at it's hard to explain to people that don't have bipolar. I would look at a tree and I would be like, Wow, that tree is so beautiful. Oh the leaves are falling off. Oh it's fall Oh my god, I'm going to die like it spiraled so fast, And that was my whole life. I lived my whole life like that. So when things started to change and my brain wasn't doing that, I was like, oh my god, this is magic. And it just made me want to keep searching for answers and yeah, and find different tools and ways that my brain could live a healthier life. And I'm so grateful I did that. So just breaking that seal and finding somebody that is that you're comfortable with talking to and that you respect getting that advice from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm really glad that you found a treatment plan that has been working for you, because I know that that can be rough, right when you're trying lots of different medications, trying different things and you finally find the thing that works for you. Great, So I know. One of the things that is also really important for people who live with bipolar disorders is to have practices in terms of like staying grounded, sleep, hygien like, all of these things that kind of help you to kind of stay structured. What kinds of practices have you incorporated into your routine that helps to support your mental health.
Speaker 2: I definitely don't do enough. I know that there's more and more I could do. You know, what's really difficult is being in the moment and remembering the tools that you have. When you've dear life for so long, just trying to survive and be a warrior, it's really hard to remember the things that will help you. And I think the biggest thing when I've had really bad panic attacks, one of the coolest things and the biggest thing that's helped me is putting my hands or my face in a bowl of ice. That's super helpful, just shocking your nervous system and making you calm down. Another thing is the tapping. I love tapping. It is really calm and you don't even realize it's working until you're already calmed down. Since I'm not the best at using the tools all the time, those are great emergency tools that I use for when I'm not in the best space. But I know I can be better for sure.
Speaker 1: I mean we all can. We all can, right, Like, there's always other things we can be doing, but I appreciate you sharing those. So what kind of things have you refused to compromise on in terms of growing as an artist?
Speaker 2: I refuse to compromise on my morals. I have not worked with people. Damn, I've gotten in trouble before publicly for saying things like this, But I have not worked with people that I don't agree with their politics or I don't agree with how they treated women, black women, women of color, LGBTQIA plus community. I go hard when it comes to things that are political or things that seem political that should not be political, and refuse to compromise on that. I think there are a lot of people that I could work with that would help my career, but I just refuse to invite them into my space, Like that's cool whatever they're doing. They're doing, but my audience comes to this space, this music space that I created and my team have created where they feel comfortable, they can be vulnerable and be their authentic selves. I never want people that are listening to my music to feel like they don't belong. So those people just don't belong in my space, and I refuse to compromise on there.
Speaker 1: More from our conversation after the break, has anything surprised you about the way that your fans have reacted to your most recent work?
Speaker 2: You know what, No, they support me no matter what, and I'm so grateful for them. I feel like I could put out us oh horrible song. I mean, I have put out some horrible songs in my opinion, and they love them. So yeah. I feel like they always find a reason why things make sense for them to listen to any song I put out, and it makes them feel heard in some way. So yeah, I'm not surprised at all. I think some of the songs that they cling on to the most maybe I'm surprised about, but I'm not surprised that they love it because they always have my back, so it's really sweet to them. I love them so much.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: So what advice would you have for other young women of color who maybe are coming up in the entertainment industry wanting to maintain their sense of autonomy and you know, kind of stick to their values in terms of what's important to them.
Speaker 2: The best advice I can give, and I always give this, But it doesn't matter because no matter how many people it reaches, or how many people hear it, or how many times they needed to hear it, it matters. No, it's not a bad word. I grew up thinking that everybody else in the room is smarter than me, has better ideas than me, and that put me in some really vulnerable spaces. And I always felt like, because everybody else is smarter than me or knows more than me, me saying no or having an opinion is bad. It felt like the worst thing I could possibly do, especially being a younger person in all these rooms and a lot of times with grown men. So yeah, I would say, your ideas are as important, your autonomy is as important, your mental health is as important as anybody else is in the room. No, it's just a word. It's not a bad word. You can say.
Speaker 1: No, what do you feel like? Is one thing? You want more people to know about what it means to live with a bipolar disorder.
Speaker 2: That or not just difficult or overly emotional or dramatic I've lived my life being a very sensitive person and an empathetic person, and I think sometimes how deeply I feel things has been maybe misconstrued as me being dramatic, and then it also caused me at times to shut down and not share my thoughts or feelings, and then you know, I would be spiraling and having all these negative thoughts to myself and not know how to escape it because of I guess the shame that I felt to be feeling things so deeply or being labeled dramatic. So yeah, I would just say being more understanding and realizing that a lot of people with bipolar do feel things deeply, which is a blessing, but you know, it's also something that we struggle with and it's not just something to be like joked about or judged. So yeah, I would say, us feeling things deeply is beautiful. But but we're not just being dramatic. There's more going on.
Speaker 1: So what do you feel like your fans in the greater community can expect from you? You've already taken us on these depths of vulnerability with cutting ties. Where can we expect you to take us next?
Speaker 2: There's a lot of anger I need to get out. A lot of my music is like really telling people off, but I think there is an even darker side to me. Like I love boxing because I feel like it's one of the outlets I have that allows me to just like fuck some shit up. You know, I'm allowing that to come into my music. I fell out of love with music for a while, and I think a way to find myself back into loving music was bringing this dark side and this love I have for like horror and creepy things. And I was able to inject that a little bit into cut Ties. But this next era, I want people to really be able to see the true darkness and horror come out. So that's probably the most information I've given about this next era. But yeah, I can't wait to show people a darker and even angrier side that I just need to let out in the music. So I don't do a hander life.
Speaker 1: Thank you. We definitely want you to keep it on the music. So one last question, what's a lyric from cut Ties that you feel like is the most honest version of you?
Speaker 2: Ooh, excuse me while I get a little wholesome. I'm not used to this emotion. Whenever I've been in like vulnerable and like lovely sweet situations. I make things very difficult and I try to make it easier for the other person to run, and if they don't, I run because I'm a very anxious, avoyant, attachment person. So yeah, feeling nice emotions is like something that makes me want to throw up, but I've tried to it a little bit more. My partner is like the kindest person and is always willing to give more and more, and yeah, I couldn't ask for a better partner. And when we first started talking, I was like, he was just being so nice and acts of service is his first love language. And I was just like, I'm so scared that you're love following me right now. And I was just open about it, like I was. He was like you, I'm scared that you're love flling me, and he was like, I understand that. And I think part of that was my guard up of being like I can't be emotional, I can't be vulnerable. I don't want to let this person in. But the more I let him in, the more I fell in love and realized that he loved me genuinely too, and wasn't trying to use me you love v on me, So yeah, I think I think there's a funny part to that and also very deep parts. So yeah, I would say that lyric.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good one. Well, thank you so much for spending some time with us today, Keanu. Please let us know where can we stay connected with you? What is your website as well as any social media channels you'd like to share?
Speaker 2: Yeah, everything is at Kanalladay ki A, NA L E D E. And then Keanalladay dot com. I think is my website. If not, you can find it on Instagram. Perfect.
Speaker 1: Well, we should include that in our show notes. Thank you so much, great, thank you. I'm so glad Keana was able to join me for this conversation. To learn more about her and her work, be sure to visit the show notes at Therapy for Blackgirls dot com slash tvgu and don't forget to text this episode to two of your girls right now and tell them to check it out. If you're looking for a therapist in your area, visit our therapist directory at Therapy for Blackgirls dot com slash directory. Don't forget to follow us on Instagram at Therapy for Black Girls and come on over and join us in our Patreon For exclusive updates, behind the scenes content, and much more. You can join us at community dot Therapy for blackgirls dot com. This episode was produced by Elise Ellis, indichu Wu and Tyree Rush. Editing was done by Dennison Bradford. Thank y'all so much for joining me again for this special TVGU episode. I look forward to continuing this conversation with you all real soon.
Speaker 2: Take good care,