Speaker 1: Old Zone Media it.
Speaker 2: It could happen here with the podcast about I don't know.
Speaker 3: How am I supposed to do the pivot from like it the Stephen King novel, which could at any point happen in a place where you are.
Speaker 2: I was trying to get to the podcast coming to you not quite live from a place where a bunch of just masked guys are drabbing people off the street. But that works too, Stephen King could pivot. Haven't done that one yet. I'm your host, Miya Wong. With me is James Stout, and we're also joined by the wonderful freelance journalists melbuer At A fucking holy shit. Yeah, so that happened simultaneously as I inhaled and like apparently a piece of popcorn just like fucking rail guned into the back of my throat relief for this song.
Speaker 4: A professionals here, shit, this is going great. Is journalist John Vector Carpentum. Good lord, I'm so.
Speaker 5: Good at my job.
Speaker 2: So what we're gonna be talking about is the continued resistance to ice and ice actions in LA and in sort of broader parts of California as stuff has shifted and intensified so both of you two, welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Glad to be here, happy to be here.
Speaker 2: So I think the place I want to start is, could you give people just kind of a brief reminder of what happened during that sort of big flare up several weeks ago of protests and ice actions in LA I.
Speaker 5: Can probably speak a little bit more to that.
Speaker 6: So, as part of the federal immigration raids that Donald Trump promised, Los Angeles was one of the first targets of pretty large scale and pretty frankly random immigration raids. So it started in early June where you started to see, you know, massed agents without oftentimes badges or names on their badges or sometimes even serial numbers. First they started in home depots areas like that, just sort of running around parking lots, tackling people and throwing them into buses. Pretty understandably, Los Angelinos started to protest, and they started to protest pretty hard, and that happened for a few weeks. Eventually the Marines in the National Guard were both deployed to federal buildings more large scale protests, and that sort of brings us to the last few weeks, which I think mel can probably speak to Yeah, so.
Speaker 7: You know, the National Guard and the Marines were deployed like mid June, right, Yeah, and we kind of saw a little bit of petering out of like the mass protests that we saw at.
Speaker 1: The beginning of June.
Speaker 7: But still there were a number of organizations and groups that were trying to keep tabs on the sort of roving patrols that were happening in Los Angeles throughout the month of June and early July. So these groups were taking in tips and trying to maintain a sort of map of rapid response locations to the ice detainments, kidnappings, suspension of constitutional rights, if you will.
Speaker 1: And so what.
Speaker 7: We saw was you know, a good number of weeks of social media sort of proliferating these posts about where ice patrols had gone. And because the you know, and this is something that organizations have spoken to in the last couple of weeks, but because their pounder surveillance, I suppose you could say by these organizations was pretty successful, the sort of ice patrols began to not happen throughout the later half of the day.
Speaker 1: They would happen early in the morning.
Speaker 7: They would you know, hit a location, grab as many people as possible, pull them into the van and take them away. And they had gotten it down to something like less than ten minutes that they were on scene, and it made it a little bit difficult for folks to be able to respond forcefully to those events. And they kept it to parking lots, car washes, you know, businesses, random street vendors, places that they could enter quickly and leave quickly. We saw in the middle of June and in the later half of the month that if they were trying to execute Warrens, for example, in a neighborhood, they would be blocked in almost immediately by neighbors. So you can see that there was a pretty consistent response by Angelino's across the board as much as they could. And while this was happening, there was also a pretty dedicated group of individuals who were spending a lot of time outside the Mentro Detention Center downtown and downtown LA which is where many of these vans were going in and out of.
Speaker 1: Before they were taking detainees elsewhere.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so you know, across the board, what we've seen is quite a bit of organizing. Much of this organizing is decades in the making, especially in Los Angeles, but also in places like Ventura County and a little bit up north where you see the same kind of work that's being done. In the later half of the month, early July, I should say, we began to see some pretty intense movements by Border Patrol, most notably in MacArthur Park on July eighth, I believe, and in the cama Rio Oxynard area, which is right on the border of Venture County and other county's name. Escapes me at two cannabis farms that next week, and those were large scale operations. A lot of militarized Border Patrol National Guard I believe helped with both of those operations as well, and also saw some pretty intense community response to those.
Speaker 3: So, Sean, you'd mentioned you wanted to talk a little more about the organizing, right, Like the way people are organized to try and kind of resist this or at least like do what they could.
Speaker 6: One of the things that I think is interesting this isn't unique to Los Angeles. We're seeing groups organize what I've been hearing called megri patrols here in Los Angeles. There's also pretty heavy touch of this from San Diego. One of the things that I thought was really really interesting was in Los Angeles has been preparing for a moment like this since the late sixties. Frankly, you know, you have groups that have a pretty solid through line since the mid sixties at the dawn of the Chicano movement, and these are groups that already have experience with large scale attainments. Not throughout the city like we were seeing the last few weeks, but there's this really impressive level of organization. Where I saw a detainment in Boyle Heights of a gentleman who was accused of getting a police officer. Within I think three minutes of them arriving. Not only was there one or two people, but there was like fifteen people already onseen. Boyle Heights is pretty singular in its preparation. However, it was not uncommon. I mean in MacArthur Park there was a detainment of a few people who were walking down the street. I was maybe eight minutes away when I heard about the raid. There was already like ten people there, including a college professor, including members of Union Del Borro and at Tennis Union. I have a bit of a theory that I don't know if Los Angeles was chosen because they wanted to prove a point. And there is a part of me that wonders seeing how quickly people are responding to these raids, There's a part of me that wonders at that point was even made.
Speaker 3: I think the government's actions can be understood in like owning the libs and like if your Facebook uncle got to make government policy, it wouldn't look that different from this. So I think that was certainly like the point early on, and they'd have detained a lot of people in La Like, but yeah, they're organizing. You have very entrenched work in clouds communities, even going back way before the sixties, right, like if we look at the zoot suit, right, if we look at the Brassero program and the attempts to expel people after that, Like if we look at United farm Workers like across LA County, we have a long history of organizing, so like it's a hard target for them for sure.
Speaker 2: And I think it's really interesting listening to YouTube talk about this matches a lot of what I was hearing about the way that it all kind of decentralized in between sort of May and June. And the thing that it reminds me of really interestingly is what was happening to sort of other protest movements but reversed. You know, if you look at like the Power Side encampments right where it's okay you put a bunch of people in one spot and then they all get crushed because the police can bring overwhelming numbers, And it feels like the raid response has almost been the reverse of that, where ices had to adopt, at least in that period, had to adopt the sort of hyper bulbile in and out like rapid strike kind of thing like because they were suddenly faced with a scenario where like if they tried to like stay in mass in an area, it went really badly for them. And that's absolutely fascinating to me.
Speaker 6: One of the things that I think is interesting is the first few days you saw a pretty heavy amount of raids sort of in the central courrior near downtown or you know, near East Hollywood things like that, and those were extremely heavily protested. You know, there was a protest sort of the first day of when the raids really really started in the garment districts or in the fashion district excuse me, within minutes there was like seventy five people there and you know, they were shouting. You know, they were there before all of the vehicles for federal agents were actually there. That's the one where you know, you saw quite a bit of new and folks who arrive extremely quickly, you know. And one of the other things that I think is really interesting about this organizing is you're also seeing regular people who I don't know if they normally would organize something where they're sort of facing off with federal agents. You're starting to see them mobilize in a way that I don't know if you would normally see them.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: One of the ladies that I spoke to as part of the Rapid Response sort of network is a teacher, and I talked to her and I was like, hey, like, why do you do this? And she told me, She's like, look like, I teach in a heavily immigrant community. My job is to take care of these kids, and unfortunately, now part of that is driving around the neighborhood and looking for white vans filled with people wearing masks.
Speaker 2: That's both incredibly moving and beautiful and also one of the most hideous things I've ever heard in my entire life.
Speaker 3: There were quite a few teachers at the SEIU rally which was on the ninth of June, which was with David Wuerta, the president of the SCIU, was detained, I guess allegedly for obstructing federal agents are correctly.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I met a lot of people who were older who I think were like solidly liberal in their politics, but not particularly radical, And it was a really interesting combination of these older people who were outraged and somewhat inexperienced in street politics and younger people who were outraged and somewhat inexperienced in street politics. Like it wasn't the same crowd that you see the people who I'd seen in twenty twenty when I covered stuff in La. Haven't really covered much of the Palestine stuff in LA. But a lot of the people who I interviewed in June were citizen children of non citizen parents, and they felt like an obligation on behalf of their community and their family to show up, and like it was really moving to see people who were clearly very afraid by the third night of like unhinged state violence right like as Sean was there too, but the amount of the les lethal's that were just being discharged by the third night, like the protest was split up and so was the policing. Like there wasn't really ever a point where all the protesters were able to get together because the police had so many roads bucked off, and like you would just turned down the street and they'd be firing leslithought you'd turned down.
Speaker 5: The street and there's tear gas.
Speaker 3: You turned down the street and there's pepper balls, like all over downtown LA. And these people were very afraid, but they still kept coming out, And that was quite like inspiring to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean, I think that's the situation that we're in right where you know, the sort of the fear and the horror has to is being forced to give way to action because the only alternative to that is just watching them take your family and take your neighbors and taking the people you love and caraboll until one day they take you and it doesn't have to get to there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe you know what else is going to take you, God specifically take money from your wallet. It's these incredible products and services which we're lucky enough to be.
Speaker 5: Able to share with our listeners. We are back.
Speaker 2: I notably did not want to do an actual pivot there, but.
Speaker 6: We're back, I think, you know, speaking on sort of the climate of Los Angeles and at the same time this sort of insistent joy that Los Angeles has.
Speaker 5: There's a very famous.
Speaker 6: Song most of your listeners may have heard it, Lachona, which is basically just a song about a woman who won't listen to her husband and gets drunk, and you see it at every single protest in Los Angeles involving immigrant rights. And one of the interesting things about it is multiple times at the protests I would see this beginning of dancing to La Chona, and then multiple times it would be broken up. I think this was the thirteenth, mid June, And eventually it got to a point where I remember saying, you know, these protesters seem to really want to listen to this song, and I have a feeling it's going to end up being played in a weird spot. What ended up happening is by the end of it, I saw a bunch of people with like these gnarly bruises all over their body, you know, welts from less Lethal's fire, in the middle of the street, dancing to La Schona. They finally got their chance and you know, it's whenever the Dodgers win. This speaks to sort of the specific culture of Los Angeles. I have seen more fires and people dancing around them to that song than any other song, including protest songs, throughout the last five years.
Speaker 5: But there's also you know, I live.
Speaker 6: In Boyle Heights and one of the really interesting and kind of horrific things is I had sort of been queued up and trained to listen for the ice cream Man, both the actual van and there's a guy that does Rospatos, who just walks down the street honks a bicycle horn. And I am an actual child, and every time I heard that bicycle horn, just like I'm sick. It would just like run out with a lot of cash and by Rospatos. And for about a week, you didn't hear him. You didn't a lot of businesses were closed. And then after about a week he started to see younger people that looked kind of like the guy that used to do it, you know, usually the son or the daughter sort of working for their parents. Now we're starting to see you know a little bit of a more of a return to regularity. But you know, one of the things that was really interesting about all this organizing is you know, you have unions, you also have like former politicians and things like that. You know, I got an email from a former city councilman with the subject line that just said it is happening here, and I remember thinking that's that's probably not good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not great talking of it is happening. I think both the NML you were there, you went up to Camerio right the raid on the cannabis grow operation and subsequent stand up that was just a different scene from like DTLA. Can you explain if people aren't familiar, maybe very briefly explain the operation and the consequences.
Speaker 7: So Sean and I just sat in federal court for five hours prior to that in downtown LA, where federal judge was listening to arguments being made in the hopes of getting a temporary restraining owner on the grounds that these roving patrols in Los Angeles were unconstitutional. And we left court and you know, one of our sources who was also there at the federal courthouse was talking about how they had heard about this raid happening in cam Mario and Carpenteria, two different cannabis grow houses, and by the timing left, it had been happening for five hours at that point, so they, under a warrant, had rated both of these cannabis co operations, which are quite large. We're talking hundreds of workers who work in these processing centers and greenhouses and such. And local organizers, particularly organizers with VC Defensa, which is in Ventura County, who has been doing really successful organizing following ice vehicles wherever they go to try and head off these roving patrols.
Speaker 1: They've really thrown a wrench in things up there.
Speaker 7: One of the organizers was following one of these border patrol vehicles and watched as the border patrol vehicle drove past the gates of a military base out there, and then kind of got an idea that, Okay, something big is happening. This is not normal, like this is not usually what happens when we follow these cars. Usually they're going into neighborhoods or things of that nature. And so almost immediately these groups were organizing to try and see where these cars armored vehicles were going, and they hit two different locations. One of the locations the one in came Rio, just outside of is kind of in the middle of nowhere. It's flanked on all sides with farm fields. You know, there's dirt highways and you know, two lane highways that kind of bisect everything. And what they did when they started this raid is they blocked off the roads leading into and out of this particular greenhouse, right and so they had checkpoints, like roadblocks, barricades at like four or five different locations at these intersections around the greenhouse, and at every single barricade there were people, so you know, there were these sort of like face offs between heavily militarized Border Patrol agents kitted out in the nines. You know, everything that you could possibly think of. They had, you know, these massive vehicles. National Guard helped them, you know, block off these roads. The local police them block off these roads, which you know, if you know about the sheriff in Venta County, he's one of the only guys who doesn't care about sanctuary state ordinances. So it was a standoff essentially, And when Shawn and I arrived, it was right around dusk, so you know, it had been many hours since these raids began. And essentially what Border Patrol found is that they couldn't leave because these roads were being blocked off. They got some fans through, but the vast majority of those vehicles were still there and they weren't prepared to be there that long. They had to air drop supplies, water, food in order to you know, shore up these folks, and you know, as word got out of the sort of community response to this event, more people showed up. So by the time Shawn and I got there, we were driving up lis Posas and suddenly there's cars just parked on either side of the road, and we ended up parking, I think like three quarters of a mile away from the nearest blockade.
Speaker 1: All have to hike in because.
Speaker 7: There was no space for cars, you know, I mean, we get up there and it's just about dusk and you can hear the chanting in the distance, and you know, it was a really horrible and also moving experience to walk up on, you know, community response to this, and you know, the standoff continued for another couple of hours, but it was you know, half of the folks there are concerned community members, folks of mixed status families who understand the absolute terror of what happens when the government is chasing after your dad, you know, and also individuals who are looking for parents, uncles, you know, they had no idea where their family members were. I think the total number of people who were detained and are probably going to be deported ended up somewhere around three hundred and sixty one across two farms. Yeah, it's significant, really insane, you know, and the standoff lasting for a couple extra hours into the night. People turned on their car headlights so that we had light out there. There was, you know, a pretty solid group of individuals who were in communication with other blockades, asking for folks to shift to other locations, sharing supplies and water, you know, and then water patrols started getting anty. You could see them playing with their guns, you know, their riot munition's weapons. They were shifting, they were forming and reforming, and you know, organizers kind of understood that something was about to happen, so they backed off, strategically retreated because there were marches planned for the next day. They were leaving. I could see off in the distance. It witnesses directly until we drove up on it, but you could see off in the distance that all of these cars, this line of cars was going around the back end of the factory on a side road and then ending up little bit farther down last Posos and there was flashing lights everywhere. Turns out that they were trying to make their getaway and they hit what I think was probably a traffic jam because.
Speaker 1: Folks were ready to go.
Speaker 7: They had packed up their cars and they were leaving when they tear gassed everybody so they could make their getaway.
Speaker 1: So, like Sean and I by the time we drove up on.
Speaker 7: It, because we saw in the distance it was like that cloud is not normal, this is a dust. Like that's tear gas. Let's get in the car and go see what's going on. We drove up just as the last canisters were being spent on the road and it was just a fog, you know, and cars people were panicking. You know, you get tear gas in your freaking car, man, You know. It was pretty pretty intense. Not a great experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I saw some videos from downtown LA on the first day of protests, and as Sean was there covering it, they had agents in gas masks in their vehicles and they would tear gasing in front. And then that seems to have been like their protocol, right, they will just tear as the fuck out of the block and then we'll wear our gas masks inside our vehicles and leave. But I wanted to explain people I've seen this a lot will be wondering why Border patrol with in Ventura, so, like, just to clarify, or Oxnard or wherever they were at the United States border isn't just a land border, like the United States has four edges, just like well, there's lots of edges, but you know, just like anything that's a big square, right, the ocean is a border too, and Border patrol has this somewhat arbitrary hundred mile enforcement zone in which they operate. So when you see border patrol operating a long way from a land border, that's because they are still within one hundred miles of a border, you know, to include the Great Lakes up north. Most of the United States population lives inside a border patrol enforcement zone, right.
Speaker 7: So you know you won't see as many unless there are warrants to be served. For example, in Omaha, Nebraska, where there was a raid on a factory there that was a warrant investigation. Generally speaking, Now, yeah, that's why you see it in Boston, in Chicago, in Florida and in most of California it lives, you know, withinside that border. And so, you know, the thing that I can say is that that next day when we went up and spoke to organizers, kind of got the skinny on how they were able to mobilize so quickly. As we were leaving that march, you know, a federal judge issued a temporary restraining order in Los Angeles County. Seven cities I think that were a party to the suit.
Speaker 6: It's not just Los Angeles County. It's the entire district of the CBD, thank you. Yes, yeah, it was quite a few cities filed suit as well as the ACLU farm workers several individual plaintiffs, which blocks them essentially from having a large scale rate with no warrant. So a judge basically told them, hey, you have to have a reason to be stopping entertaining people.
Speaker 5: The judge.
Speaker 6: I don't want to read too much into a judge's personal thoughts, but it became pretty clear even when they were having the hearing that the judge had pretty much had her own concerns that I don't think we're even in the filings. And it also bat is essentially the basement in a federal building, which is where a significant amount of the people are being held, and it forced them to allow lawyers access as well as a lot of them were essentially in these rooms that were like fifty to sixty people and there was one phone in the middle of it, so they were not getting private counsel. And with the restraining order, which I believe ends time next week, now they actually have to provide access to lawyers, you know, basic constitutional stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Man, let me tell you it was really, really bizarre to sit in a federal hearing. Now. Look, I've read transcripts from other reporters who listen in on these federal immigration issue hearings that you've had over the last six months. It is a whole other experience to be sitting in a courtroom with your little notepad, listening to the government's lawyers try and make the case that no, we're not actually racially profiling people here, we are just stopping them based on their appearance, facial expressions, what they're wearing, potentially the language that they choose to speak. And all of us sitting in the gallery are like, okay, you actually made that argument in an open court.
Speaker 1: Cool you know.
Speaker 7: What I mean, like absolutely insane to hear that come out of a DOJ lawyer's mouth, where they're like, we take umbrage with the fact that you're saying that we're racial profiling. By the way, here's all the things that we are doing, which is essentially profiling people.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: So the tro is essentially just enforcing the Fourth Amendment, which is saying, you know, you cannot conduct these roving patrols and stop people without probable cause or weren't you just can't do it, you know. And what that's done is we have seen much less of the immigration enforcement activity that was a feature of June and early July, and it's kind of moving to the periphericly. I know that there are things happening in San Diego, James, and we've seen some potential reports out of Sacramento. We've seen reports up north in San Francisco, you know, in terms of the enforcement zone in California. We're also seeing ramping up immigration activities in places like Chicago and other.
Speaker 1: Cities Utah, for example.
Speaker 7: And now in the last week and a half we've seen half of the federalized National Guard be taken off deployment and sent home and as of today, the twenty first of July, they're sending home the Marines, you know, which good right, But it's very clear that whatever they were trying to accomplish in Los Angeles to make a point to be a battering ram to set Los Angeles, which is always kind of been known as the sanctuary city and the surrounding area as like the example of what immigration enforcement activity in this new era of Trump two point zero what have you will look like? And ultimately I don't think they were successful. I mean, you look at the raid in MacArthur Park for example, or it was meant to be this you know, big operation essensibly to try and crack down on fake ID processing. Sean can talk to more of the context around MacArthur Park than I can. But they showed up and organizers had already cleared the park. You know, we were there for two and a half hours before they even showed up, and we watched as organizers put up signs. They were sitting at the home depot up the street making sure the folks knew that there might be a raid today. Like organizers had called through the entire park and said this might happen today. If you're a mixed status or you know, your status is not one with papers, you might want to go home. You know, they cleared the soccer fe which had forty five people playing soccer on it, you know, and so by the time these armored vehicles are running down the street and doing all of their theater, there's no one there at all. You know, there's journalists, there's us. You know, there's a couple of unhoused folks who said, you know, screw that, I don't want to leave, but the vast majority of people had already gone, and so all that they got out of it was a really shitty hype video and a mayor and a governor who were like really really pissed off, and you know, a city that's just not going to just roll over and let this kind of crap happen, you know. And I think that's really emblematic of like what's been going on in Los Angeles for the last six weeks is they did not get the response that they were expecting, and they weren't prepared for that response and for the you know, for that to be a continuous response to unconstitutional, oppressive, violent actions by ICE and by the agencies that are enabling ICE.
Speaker 3: So yeah, you know, I think when we say city, we should like be clear that we're referring to like the city kua like community, not city like as government entity. Right, Like, there really hasn't been any certainly here in San Diego. At San Diego Police Department technically don't assist ICE, but they do show up to like form a cordon around them, right, like to prevent any confrontation between them and protesters. And we saw like every police agency, like literally every police agency in La County and also Ventura County sheriffs were there for the biggest protest days. The city hasn't used its resources in that sense to stop this, right, They've made rhetorical statements, but they haven't done anything with their police.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think this speaks to a kind of larger thing, which is like these people thought they could just come into cities around the country and just shocking all everyone in ROLLI went over because like they think they're the Nazis. But the thing about the Nazis is that like people supported them, right, Like all the shit the Nazis were able to do happened because people wanted it. To happen, and in a country where people don't want that shit to happen, where everyone looks at this and goes, what the fuck is going on? We're like, it's like seventy nine percent support for like the effects of immigration on the US right now, where everyone's looking at this and just being like.
Speaker 5: No, they can't do it.
Speaker 2: There aren't enough of them. I don't know, Like it's just so stunning to me watching them like have to do the tactical adaptations that like normally like protest groups have to do because the cops have tuned more resources than them. But they're having to do it because they's just like every single person walking down the street is like fuck you eat shit, and so they're just like outnumbered everywhere they go. It's and that's not to say it's not like fucking horrible, because yeah, resisting fascism fucking sucks a lot of the time and a lot of people get hurt, and it's hideous, and also it's what has to be done. The last thing that I wanted to ask is, so, with the injunction kind of like coming to an end soon, what do you think is the future of sort of what ice is going to be doing, and what the response is going to be, and what border patrol are doing in this sort of month to come.
Speaker 5: It's hard to say.
Speaker 6: One of the things that I'm curious about is we won't really know what the federal government's plan is until I think it's the We'll just say late July when the next hearing is. So the temporar restraining order ends in late July. Generally speaking, with temporary restraining orders on law enforcement, what you see is they either continue while the hearings commence, or you see a pretty large mountain of evidence that says, hey, we did this, this, this, this, and this. That's changed it. So we're now sort of in cooperation with the order. That is likely one of the reasons why we've seen fewer raids here.
Speaker 5: In Los Angeles.
Speaker 6: Ultimately, a temporary restraining order is I don't want to call it a wilder extreme action at all, but those are generally signed when a judge agrees that it is extremely likely that, given the current situation, the plaintiffs have a case.
Speaker 5: So unless the federal.
Speaker 6: Government comes by with like this gigantic mountain of new training and all these new plans and things like that, My guess is we'll probably see at least some of the things in that temporary restraining order continue. I also think it's possible if the federal government is just going to say, you know what, this temporary restraining order only applies to this specific area, We'll just go somewhere else.
Speaker 3: It's the Central District of California, right, so like San Luis, Obispo, Santa Barbara, Venture La, Riverside County as well.
Speaker 5: I think yep, Riverside.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it doesn't include San Diego, doesn't include the Northern District, which is most of the rest coast of California, or the Eastern District, which is to the Valley and further northeastern California. So yeah, it's perfectly possible they could go somewhere else and still do that shit within California.
Speaker 2: Or like you say, like.
Speaker 3: There are so many targets, right because immigrants are part of the fabric of our society. They are everywhere, and that's you know, they can just go for wherever they think a soft target is.
Speaker 7: And there's also work noting that you know, these organizers are going to continue to organize, right, So these groups Central Coso and Union of barrio, and you know the various other groups. Again, I've been around for decades. VC Defense that has been around since twenty sixteen. Right, this is only a portion of the organizing that they do. You know, they didn't start with or they will not end with, just these patrols. Right. So they've built out infrastructure and mutual aid group networks that are buying groceries for folks and mixed status families that are covering the sort of bills that are not being paid because people are too afraid to go to work. They're doing wildcare, they're getting kids to school, they're trying to provide legal defense. You know, like these are you know, coalitions of individuals who live in these areas who are doing long term organizing to shore up the community whether or not there is an onslaught of immigration enforcement activity in a certain geographical area.
Speaker 1: So in terms of organizing, it's just going to keep happening.
Speaker 7: And that's good, right, And you know, I think that what's hardening to see after the last you know, seven weeks of really intense, really scary, really horrifying kidnappings and detainments on the streets in southern California, is you know, an equal and often more you know, stronger response to it from the community that you know reminds you that this is not the end and folks are prepared for picking up the slack when things fall through.
Speaker 1: You know, people are not falling through the cracks.
Speaker 7: People are not having their lives shattered without someone watching and trying to help. So that's an important piece there, you know. So I would say that in terms of the response and what happens next, like it's a multi front thing. You have these legal cases finding their way through the courts, you have from all levels, right, and you have individuals who are trying to keep track of folks who have been detained and deported and sending money back to Mexico or whatever, you know, other country that these folks are being sent back to making sure that things are as much as they can. You know, there aren't any rips in the safety net. And I think that's the main lesson of the last seven weeks is like that sort of response is incredible and you can.
Speaker 1: Replicate it anywhere that you are.
Speaker 7: You know a lot of folks like to, you know, kind of roll their eyes at the idea of like organizing starts with talking to your neighbor. No, actually it does, right, And you know there's these models, especially in southern and central California, where this organizing works.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 7: It's not particularly ideological in many ways, sometimes it is, but the basic function of it is to make sure that your neighbor doesn't fall into a hole, right, and they'll do the same for you, so you don't fall into a hole should something happen to you. So you know, start there and take a look at these models that these absolute fucking heroes pardon my language, are doing in this area, and know that you can also do that.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, these people in every facet of this are just you somewhere else or help.
Speaker 5: Maybe they are literally you. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I keep up the good work, Suan.
Speaker 3: Do you want to explain to us very briefly the FBI arrests and the case against at least one of the Centro CSO members.
Speaker 6: Well, right now, there's only one criminal complaint, and that's for Alejandro Oriana, who is accused of conspiracy to commit to the disorder as well as hating and embedding a conspiracy to commit civil disorder. The criminal complaint, all it really says is that he gave a dispense with face shields to protesters who were dressed like they might do something bad. At no point during a criminal complaint does it even say, hey, he handed it to a guy and then that guy made.
Speaker 5: It a crime. Doesn't even go that far. It just goes those.
Speaker 6: Guys look kind of I don't know, they look like they're about to do something, and says that, you know, these people were dressed in such a way where it might interfere with law enforcement activities, like you know, it would deaden the impact of left leeple weapons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the impact of leslie for weapons on your face is potentially fatal.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you know beyond that, you know, there was a search warrant for another member of Central CSO who was roughly handled by FBI agents on a walk through the park and was given a search warrant and her phone was taken. I asked the US Attorney's office if they were related, and first was sold I don't know what you're talking about, which I thought was a little interesting. Never gotten that response from any official, and then a few hours later got an official response that said, no, it is another case. So what that means, time will tell but I think it's likely that there will be more to come on top of that. I think it's interesting to note that the first arraignment for Oreana was an absolutely packed court.
Speaker 5: And support of them.
Speaker 2: Where can people find youtubo's work and where can people support you as you do a whole bunch of incredibly critical journalism on the continuing resistance to the fascist deportation campaign.
Speaker 7: A lot of my reporting goes to Blue Sky, so you can find me at melbu or Blueskuy dot social I have a newsletter, the Words about Work dot blog, and you can also find me on my Instagram. My link trees linked in all sorts of places, so you can find all of those links in inconvenient.
Speaker 2: Place, including the description of this episode.
Speaker 1: Hey yeah, those are the places where you can find me.
Speaker 6: You can find me on a cat with news on all social media platforms, although most of my sort of breaking stories come on Blue Sky first, and I'm a freelance journalist, so usually you can just google my name and you'll see some stories there. On my Blue Sky and Instagram, there's a link tree if you want to support.
Speaker 2: Hell Yeah, and to everyone listening to the show, always remember you are many, they are few.
Speaker 8: It could Happen Here is a production of pool Zone Media from one podcast from pool Zone Media. Visit our website Poolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for it could Happen Here. Listened directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.