Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway in Lexington welcomes Mike Armstrong, Mark's twenty seventh through the twenty ninth. Then it's the Lexington debut of Lorie kill martin April third through the fifth, and catch rising comedy stars Sam tallon April eleventh and twelfth. Comedy Off Broadway opened in downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven, and they're still bringing the best and stand up comedy to the area thirty eight years later. Call eight five ninety two seven to one joke or visit Comedy Off Broadway dot com Off Broadway.
Speaker 2: This is Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage. Now here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 3: All right, good morning, ladies, gentlemen, boys and girls, Grandpa's and grandma's, aunts and uncles. This is the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Thursday April third, Ryan Leman, Drew Franklin, and Shannon the Dude here for you today. Matt is off and then on his way to Amsterdam. He may be in amsterdam's we speak right now, probably there on his fellowship and we'll talk to you a little more about that. Of course, every edition of Caysports Radio sponsor by the TJ Smith Off. It's called DJ TJ. What's he do, Shannon?
Speaker 2: He'll make them pay.
Speaker 3: He'll make them pay. Absolutely. We got the a Vision glass text machine which is also on in Amsterdam, So if you have my cell phone, we'll use that as the Avision text machine today. Our Kentucky Brandy call today. Our clock's pupping shop phone line is eight five nine two eight zho two two eighty seven. Guys. A rough night across our state last night. I mean it was, it was awful. I mean there's tornado warnings all across our state, a lot of damage across our state, a lot of people still without power this morning. Were you awoken by the tornado warning alarm on your phone in the middle of the night.
Speaker 4: I was, I mean most of the night before I fell asleep, I stayed up watching it, keeping up with it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I saw Madisonville had one kind of touchdown nearby. I was worried about that. It's all, I mean, really across the whole state.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: My attention was all on it, and I finally fell asleep around midnight. And then round two is when I got the tornado noise from my phone that scared the crap out of me, and me and my wife went down and I went downstairs and got it's close to the I have a basement, but did as best we could to get to a safe area and kind of waited to see how it'd come through Lection and luckily it kind of went around and dismissed lectioning in. But still just an awful night across the state. I was trying to catch up this morning. You know, it's a lot of when you find out, you wake up in daylight, see what happened. And a lot of damage in Louisville, just areas all over I've have we even seen anything that that widespread?
Speaker 6: That was crazy?
Speaker 3: Anyware tell yeah, Shannon, I guess louisvill got hit a lot harder than we did over here in Lexington it did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Uh, Middletown in Jaytown there was a confirmed tornado. So definitely our thoughts are with those people who were waking up and having to deal with the damage that that storm caused last night. I'll tell you though, Ryan, when you live close to a fire department, there's pros and cons. The pro is like if the house catches on fire. I like my gchiancees. I like my choices of the house surviving the fire, but when it's a tornado that's coming through, those sirens go off and they are so loud. I feel like I've got a siren that's going off for an hour straight, like in my ear. So I didn't get much sleep last night, but yeah, I definitely want to keep our thoughts with those who were, you know, victims of the tornado last night.
Speaker 3: It was it was bad here. Yeah, I guess they're saying one touchdown maybe in the Murray area Paducah. I think a church and Paduca got destroyed.
Speaker 6: I saw that they're.
Speaker 3: Saying East Louisville. But there were warnings even this morning when I woke up, there were still warnings south of US in Jamestown and Somerset, in that area down there. I mean, it was a it was an awful cell that went through. I don't know the reports of injuries yet, but I haven't heard any. Thankfully, maybe we got through without anybody really having a bad injury. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was trying to scan the news for that this morning. I didn't see anything. So hopefully that's the case that, you know, nothing too severe other than some some property damage. You know, we got listeners not just in Kentucky. Tennessee got hit real bad and it saw Selmer, Tennessee.
Speaker 3: Like thatd some deaths in Tennessee actually Arkansas.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I got to give a little bit of a shout out the Ryan Hall yall. We've talked about him on this show. I watched his YouTube. I had I was going back and forth between wk YT and l e X here in Lexington on my TV, but I had him pulled up on YouTube. He's the guy out of Pike Village, right. He must have been live streaming for twelve hours straight. And I mean at one point there was like two hundred and fifty thousand viewers, and he does an amazing job of keeping you updated like he I mean, he just stayed on top of it. I didn't watch the whole stream, but that dude did not stop yesterday. He might still be going. I have no idea, but if no one watches him, I encourage it. He was very helpful. He even talked about up in Ohio, where my wife's from. He kind of covers a little more than just Kentucky, but he's just constantly moving. He has like storm chasers everywhere with videos. He's got the live thing that he goes into. So as this continues, or god forbid it, we get into it again. You know, watch your your local news because they were very helpful in the middle of the night too. But Ryan Hall, y'all, it does a great job. He's got like two million subscribers on YouTube out of Pikeville, of pike bul he has like a y'all watch out and you know, not to make light of the situation, but I mean it's he does a really good job.
Speaker 6: I spent most of my night watching him.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I like to poke fun in our local weather guys, Bill Mack, Chris Bailey, Jim Callwell, TG shuck. Well, maybe because I work with him. I know these guys and I had to work in the newsroom with him. I always liked to poke atuse. I felt like they got a little more favoritism than the sports department did. But it's nights like last night. They are absolutely crucial to saving lives. I mean, like I said, I like to poke. You can't predict the mother nature, but they can tell you what it's doing right now, and that's why you tune in immediately to Bill Mack or Chris Bailey or whoever your weather local weather guy to watch because they can definitely tell you what it's doing right now and save maybe save your life or maybe keep you from getting injured.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, especially when it was coming to Lexington. I mean I was just back and forth with those who actually Abby had one on the iPad, we had another on TV, and then Royan hall yall on the phone, so we had all three going. But you know, watching Bill and Chris last night, they even seemed a little more scared than a weatherman is. Usually there's up there reporting. I think Bill even called his family.
Speaker 3: Called his wife and daughter alive on the air, tell him to get shelter.
Speaker 4: Now, not that I wasn't already a little worried, but you know, seeing those guys on TV have a little fear and saying this is something we haven't ever seen before, you know, it added to it. But they did a great job too. Everyone I watched kept us all informed and hopefully everyone took advice and stayed as safe as possible.
Speaker 3: Shannon, what's the one weather guy in Louisville? Weinstein Weinberg, Weinberg, Mark Weinberg. Yeah, he's the one that was kind of causing the weatherman beef for a while. Uh, Louisville used to have a weather guy. He wore a captain's hat, Captain Reed Yayden.
Speaker 2: You remember him, Yeah, yeah, he wore a captain's hat while he would do the broadcast.
Speaker 3: Sometimes, like would be outside, he'd wear a little captain's hat, Captain Reid Yayden. I don't know the Louisville weather guys, but I'm just not just praising our weather guys in Lexton, the weather guys in Louisville, bowling, Green Paduca, everybody last night, everybody's tuned in to watch him. But then, you know, you people lose power. So that's when they say, man, that's why AM radio is so important. You got your battery powered AM radio to keep up with weather reports.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then you know, at one point my TV was getting a little funky. Then go to Twitter, that did a great job opening posting there and keeping everybody informed, just everyone that doesn't. You know, I can't watch every community in every station, certainly here in Lection and they were good, and I'm sure everywhere else they were on top of it to keep everyone as safe as possible.
Speaker 3: Well, the storm is not just affected last night, It's gonna be the whole weekend. Like Keenland canceled their opening day Friday tomorrow and we're gonna not gonna open out till Sunday. Drue, don't. I've never seen that happen. I've I mean, I've been around here for a long time. I've not known Keenland to postpone opening day ever. And the Bluegrass Steaks is supposed to be Saturday, that's their Kentucky Derby. Yeah, they've moved it to Tuesday. I mean, it's just kind of really kind of emphasizes how bad the weather is in this area over the next couple of days.
Speaker 4: It's like moving the Super Bowl around here. Yeah, you know, not that this is important to safety in the weather, but I thought all probably made plans to be at Keenland this weekend. No one ever imagines Keenland could get postponed removed, And now it's moved on to the to the to the weekdays, which will be unique. But I mean that just shows what kind of situation we're in around here. It's still still coming.
Speaker 3: UK Baseball is supposed to host Old Miss this weekend starting tonight, it's tonight at seven, Tomorrow night at six thirty, and then Saturday at two. It's a Thursday through Saturday series. You know, I don't know if they're gonna get any of those games in any of them. I don't know what they're gonna know what they're gonna do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think they've made any announcements yet. But if you're moving Keenland and with everything we go on, I would be surprised if we have baseball Kentucky prout partner maybe later in the weekend. I haven't looked that far ahead, but it's hard to imagine they'll get three games in with old miss, with the forecast we have still in front of us.
Speaker 2: If they do, I just hope they get out to a big lead early. That way, minjie On canstall. You can go maybe you know, kick up some dust, uh, you know, throw some mud at the umpire and delay the game as long as possible so they can win.
Speaker 3: You know, that's still getting a lot of play. But the thing is Kentucky was up by five runs. Yeah, I mean, it's not like it was a one run game and then two outs and maybe going into the curfew time Kentucky was up five.
Speaker 6: I have a little bit of scoop on that. Okay, not really scoop.
Speaker 4: I just learned more about the situation. We were kind of saying it's silly to have that curfew at four thirty local time. I mean, I agree with Minji and you know, taking advantage of the rule, But I thought four thirty that seems early for a curfew.
Speaker 6: But in talking to.
Speaker 4: People around the team, they still didn't get home till nearly three in the morning. Because there's not a direct college station to Lexington. They had to bust two hours to Houston, they got diverted to Cincinnati, and then they have to bust from Cincinnati to Lexington. So it makes a little more sense to that curfew as early as it is after. You know, I kind of thought that was ridiculous before, at least in that scenario. Now, if you're playing in Knoxville, okay, that's different. But they had even you know, having that game called early. UK barely got back in time. This kid slept a few hours in her class the next day. So hearing a little bit more about just the logistics behind the scenes, that curfew rule makes a little more sense to me.
Speaker 3: Shannon, I'm sure they all got home and went straight to class al class on Monday morning.
Speaker 2: Too, right, Yeah, And that's also like why I don't understand what the conference realignment you got, Like, you know, Stanford for instance, is going to be traveling all the way across the country to play other teams like on a weeknight. You know, I think it's ridiculous, but you know, at this point it is what it is.
Speaker 3: But so just you know, stay tuned. Social media posts will keep you updated if they're going to do play UK Baseball tonight. First game is at seven o'clock. By the way, the UK women's gymnastics team opens up playing the NCAA tournament today at one. We're gonna have it on the big screen. Oh nice, kind of like you know, maybe ourn little UK Gymnastics watch party, but we'll have it here at kas Barn Grow if you want to come and watch it as they open up their own version of March Madness.
Speaker 4: You know, I used to attend Excite Night every once in a while. That's there earlier in the season. Event, you know, we can do some Excite afternoon here at Kosbar. Might have to have you get up and move the satellite around. If there's any weather complications, get on the roof. You've done that before.
Speaker 3: If there's anything I'm an expert at. It's the pommel horse. Okay, I can I can do it. I can talk about it. That's about it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I talk to him.
Speaker 3: I did walk with the balance beam. I've walked on a balance beam before.
Speaker 6: Did you make it across?
Speaker 3: No, I don't think I did it. If it gives a little tough So yeah, we'll have that game on here at UH at one o'clock if you want to come out and watch it. So we're gonna take your calls. Eight five nine two aight, oh two two eight seven. We got Liam in the studio today, Drew and Shannon. Liam running the show today.
Speaker 2: Try I taught him, Well, he's he's a pro already. I mean one day, he's already running the show. Ran the pre show this morning, he ran the lead report. So he's a he's an old grizzled veteran in here with this today.
Speaker 6: So you give us you're getting pushed out, Shannon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm good with that.
Speaker 6: Liam. We need to put Liam on the graphic up here, the cartoon.
Speaker 3: Next to us, So give us a call eight five nine two two two eight seven Later Andy show, We're gonna have a little surprise. You guys don't even know what we're gonna do yet. I don't know, don't even know.
Speaker 6: Yet, but you texted me show topics last night, but.
Speaker 3: You don't know what one thing I'm doing and got everything I'm doing, just one little thing we're going to do later before you go.
Speaker 4: I will compliment you. I I've worked with KOSR. I'm about to hit year sixteen. I'm an old man. I think only four times in my life have I been sent a text message with show topics, and it's been you every time, and you did it again last night.
Speaker 6: So thank you.
Speaker 4: Not that I'm not prepared to always try to, you know, be knowledgeable of everything going on, but you you sent a basically a script.
Speaker 6: I feel ready to go today, so thank you.
Speaker 3: Well, Shannon. There's not a whole lot going on, so I'm trying to find them some topics to try to give it to talk about today.
Speaker 2: So sometimes you just gotta make up the show as you go, make.
Speaker 3: Up the show as you go.
Speaker 4: So when people know how much you care, well, thank you. You don't just show up and hit go and talk for two hours.
Speaker 2: Yes, he does, he does, he does.
Speaker 3: He's had. When I'm not hosting, I do probably very little show pre code and looking at Twitter.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm proud of who youself.
Speaker 3: So we'll take your calls. Eight five nine two Hito, two tweets. We went a lot of phone calls today, Ryan, Drew and Shannon. We're right back here on Kentucky's Ports Radio. This is one of my favorite songs ever. Liam. By the way, great job. I didn't even tell you what song to pick. Look he in the pre show he played Incubus for Billy and Stone Tiple Pilots for Shannon. I said, dude, you gotta play some Hooting the Blowfish then today and he goes, I saw hooting the Blowfish last summer in Cincinnati. Liam, that's my guy. This is this is an awesome song. This is a this is a feel good song that was on the Friends soundtrack. They didn't even release in one of their albums. It was on the Friend's soundtrack. But I love this song. Well done.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you were actually at that same concert right in Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: I didn't get to go.
Speaker 2: Oh you call yourself a fan?
Speaker 3: I think I think I had a college visitor or a camp that weekend or something. I remember I couldn't go. I had to play dad that weekend. So yeah, well thanks for bringing that up. Sean Shannon eight two two eight seven. We have a Whiskey Thief call to day. I missed saying did our sponsor whiskey long of the day.
Speaker 6: We love Whiskey Thief.
Speaker 3: One thing that's kind of gone under the radar because it's March Madness and we're up on the final four. We've been so hop on the transfer portal and everything that's happened since the postseason is the UK spring football season. They had kind of a media opportunity yesterday. Drew, You've been out there. What are your what are you hearing or what are your thoughts so far about what's going on in UK spring football. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I went out to the open practice yesterday. It started at nine, and you know, I had to leave for the show. So when I was out there, there's a lot of stretching and getting loose. I missed the actual you know, throwing it around and all the fun stuff. There's there's highlights on ksr's YouTube right now. I went back and watch those there's some good ones there, but early takeaways just seeing Zach Calzada for the first time in person. I got to see him throw it a little bit.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: It's hard to have a big takeaway when I'm out there just for a few minutes, but he and Bowlie were looking good. There's some highlights in that YouTube video. The new receiver Kendrick Law. I think he's gonna pan out to be pretty well. My biggest takeaway honestly, the new wide receivers coach. He's got a lot of juice it. I took my coffee in there to wake up to go be ready to meet you guys. I mean, he was getting in people's rear ends using language I can't say on radio, and he might have been the loudest coach on the field as best as I could tell. I'm excited about him because that's a room that had some culture issues and what I've seen in thirty minutes of him talking to those guys are yelling at those guys. I mean, he's not gonna put up with any funny business. I mean that dude was strictly business and it was fun watching him just coach them up, even though they were still just kind of getting into practice there.
Speaker 3: As far as groups Shannon, everybody so far seems to be praising the offensive line. I mean, I heard it this morning on the Leach Report, justin Rowling. I think we're talking about the offensive line. Other guys who've gone to practice him been praising the offensive line. I mean, if there is one area that I think that needed improvement and that looks like it has been improved, it's got to be the offensive line.
Speaker 2: It all starts there. How many times do we have to say after the game, well, you know, if our quarterback could stay vertical, we would have had a chance to win that game. So I think it all all starts with that offensive line. And you know, I hope that there's gonna be some excitement building for this team. I feel like, though it's gonna be, uh, let's wait and see what we got before we get too excited. You know. I feel like we've gotten our hopes up the last few years, and yeah, this may be a show me season. You know, Let's see what you got and then you know the fan base will get excited based on what we see on the field.
Speaker 4: Every year, there's a dude, because there's so many new pieces these days. You go to that first practice and there's like, who the hell's that guy? Uh, Shea's Pete. I think I'm pronouncing that right. He's the offensive line rom from New Mexico State.
Speaker 6: He is a giant, is he?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he was really good there.
Speaker 4: He was one of the top targets in the in the portal for an offensive line. Again, you know, I'm just there. They're just hitting the sleds and getting loose in the little bit of time I was there. But that dude is a giant. He's listed at six eight three twenty. He's gonna be a big part of that line. Jagger was still out there. He's gonna be part of the starting right.
Speaker 3: He said this point. Yeah, he's playing center right now, just because the center from Western Kentucky. That transferred in as maybe battling some injuries or something right now, so that the Western Kentucky kids probably gonna be the center. Although Jagger's feeling excuse me, filling in at the moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Evan Wibberley believe is the offensive I'm from Western I was surprised, at least when I was there getting started. Jason Patterson was getting more of the running back one. Touches didn't really see that coming.
Speaker 3: Well, that's been the other I think offensive line and running back, those have been the two groups that have getting the most attention. You know, Patterson was kind of just you sparingly at times last year. Then will Cox kind of came in and kind of took a lot of his reps. But DJ Miller and Jason Patterson are the two running backs. I think they're running one and two right now.
Speaker 6: I have a will Cox take.
Speaker 3: Okay, there's a picture going around.
Speaker 6: I don't know if he's just time his shoes again. No, we got to get those shoes.
Speaker 4: Might have been just the beginning, might have gotten the laced up before they started getting into some actual hitting each other and running some stuff.
Speaker 6: But early on I think we might have another shoe string problem.
Speaker 3: The dude's good. I mean, we saw he's got flash, so he could be really good. But many you got to keep your shoes on you're not gonna be able to play. And I think one time Stoops got so frustrated with him last year about it. He benched him, took him out of the game and didn't put him back.
Speaker 6: You remember it happened as soon as he uh, as soon as he got called out for it, that's right.
Speaker 3: Then it happened again.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: Macklin was out there one of the one of the few people I recognized right away. He was doing some uh catching some punts. When I was out there, they were just getting into throwing the ball.
Speaker 6: As I left.
Speaker 4: Like I said, Kendrick Law made a few impressive catches and moves that I think gives him a little potential, but it's all so early to know. Hopefully they do some kind of open spring practice.
Speaker 3: I've not heard anything.
Speaker 6: I got it down.
Speaker 4: Where everybody can get out there at least give the media more looks at him because there's still a lot of new pieces to learn.
Speaker 3: A couple of Kentucky guys, local guys, I guess, are kind of looking good so far and spring practice. Willie Rodriguez from Covington Catholic, Uh, you know, had a couple of bright spots during the season last year. But I guess he's really stepped up this season already.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he was already gigantic. I remember when he came to Chaos Bar on his visit as a high schooler.
Speaker 6: I'm like that guy's in high school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a fresh grown ass man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's even he's even gotten more grown. You know, every year we say it's the tight Ends year, and they get these good recruits and then you know, the offense just doesn't get him too as much as we like. Last year, they had to do more blocking than I think they wanted to do. I'm trying to temper tight end expectations, but Willie Rodriguez does look the part, and he made some huge plays as a freshman last year.
Speaker 3: The other Kentucky kid that's kind of turned some heads is Montavin Quisenberry, the true freshman from Boyle County. You know, the wide receiver room kind of got thin there a little bit, but he may be a guy to step in and fill in that slot role that they like to use a lot. We know he's obviously very talented. I've seen him play a lot, so he's already opening to my eyes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you saw him in high school more than I did. I know he was.
Speaker 4: I think he's only a three star, wasn't as highly recruited as maybe his numbers suggests. I think that sounded like it's gonna translate over to to.
Speaker 3: College already I think he's a he's a perfect for that slot that they like to use. You know, we've seen guys just kind of flourish in that in that slot position. Lynn Bowden, you know, he kind of made a famous one from that. I think Quisenberry could be that kind of guy.
Speaker 6: Had some interviews.
Speaker 4: Calzada spoke yesterday, we're getting that time where you know, we're starting to get you know, two of those a week. I'd say, we're putting those up on ksr's YouTube. It's clear they're not, you know, Stoops even said to us, you know, not making headlines. They're staying a little more quiet than the years are. Even with Calzada, it was a lot of just he's well media trained, wasn't wasn't giving you a whole lot early in the game. But that's a guy to play a lot of football. Who knows how it'll turn out here, but he's very experienced and from what I could tell, looked like he was a pretty good leader early on in the day.
Speaker 3: And I don't think Cutter Bully just gonna hand it over to him. You know, Cutter wants to be the starter too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think Cutter will, I mean, it is a competition. I think Cutter will be right there with him. Curterer looked good out there, best of that I could tell. But again, I was in and out yesterday. I'm hoping we'll get more opportunities like that. I should just skip the show and watch more football because it was exciting to be out there. It's a good morning for the weather hit and just close the close the book on basketball and football Spring football leases right here in front of.
Speaker 3: Us, Shannon, did you see enough of Cutter Bully to think he could be the guy some point here or you or even this season?
Speaker 1: Not really.
Speaker 2: I feel like he got put in the game and situations a lot of times that weren't really fair for him, you know. But I mean, I think he's probably got the potential, But I just, you know, did I really see enough of them last year?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 2: Not not for me? What about you?
Speaker 3: I think he's got the talent, he just needs some more experience. You know that. You're right, he wasn't fair the way they threw him into a couple of those positions.
Speaker 2: Like Florida that he went into whenever that was the best situation to come into.
Speaker 6: So but I just.
Speaker 4: Stood up off the bench I didn't think he was warming up. They were like, cutter, you're in You're in there, like what you know.
Speaker 6: I think a little bit of a warning.
Speaker 3: I think he's got the talent to definitely be the guy at some point, whether he's ready right now or not. Maybe he needs another little some more seasoning. I don't know. The only other name I want to throw out there, I ask for a new name that we don't know that people should pay attention to. Defense him in Marcus Grace from South Dakota.
Speaker 6: I was gonna bring him up.
Speaker 3: I guess he must be a man child.
Speaker 4: The defensive line looks like you could be in good shape. He was another big commitment when they got him. Lots of people wanted him out of the portal. He and Gusta Gusta Gusta how you pronounce another another big portal get And then Josiah Hayes is back. He had a bad injury last year. Can be a big piece. So even though you lose Dion, I think the defensive line can be in good shape.
Speaker 3: They're gonna have to be. I mean they lost just they lost everybody pretty much except for Josiah Hayes. So that was a definite position of need, the defensive line and offensive line and position of need. That seems like on paper they filled those spots already.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I said about the practice, I hope, you know, we need some excitement in the season. I think we all a lot of people have the same mentality around Kentucky football next year, even if you think they'll be better, that schedule is brutal next fall. So I hope they can open up and get more glimpse at him. So it just drum up as much expreing excitement as they can.
Speaker 3: So there's your spring football update. We haven't talked much about it. We did a whole segment on it right there, so I should get him date. We'll come back. We'll take your calls eight five nine two way two to eight seven.
Speaker 2: This is Kentucky Sports. Ready present it by Stockton Mortgage. Now here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 3: All right, welcome back, Ryan Drew and Shannon. As Matt is off. We think probably in Amsterdam now for his fellowship.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: He was very excited about it, and I understand the myself. It's kind of a exclusive select fraternity of he's in.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: They went to Birmingham. They've been in was it Veil? It was in Colorado?
Speaker 6: Was it Veil?
Speaker 3: And now they're in Amsterdam. So we're proud of him getting to do something like that, kind of once in a lifetime opportunity. So he'll be back, I believe on Monday the twenty first, got his day back.
Speaker 4: Is this the secret society that won't let him talk about the Denver Airport and all the conspiracies in America before he goes and they try to silence people like me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe they're trying to uncover the Denver Airport.
Speaker 4: You remember when we were when we were in Denver, Max and I kept wanting to talk about Oh yes, Matt wouldn't.
Speaker 6: And I think it's part of this fellowship. I think they.
Speaker 4: I think they're trying to use him with these lavish trips to silence people like me who want answers.
Speaker 2: You got all next week to break it down, you got you know, there's I think a lot of people out there that want to hear Rufe Ranklin's conspiracy theories. So have you take it out?
Speaker 6: It's on the list. All right, We're gonna find out what's under the pyramids next week?
Speaker 3: Are you ready for Drew Palooza Drew Week.
Speaker 4: I mean, I've got a lot of topics in mind. I've had a lot of people tell me don't overdo it with guests. I'm gonna have some guests. I'm still I'm waiting to get some yeses and no's. But I've written a lot of I've done a lot of show prep. I'm on my best ron lemon of potential topics. There's two days where it's mostly gonna be just me and Billy, and he will have just done the pre shows, so he might be a little winded. We're gonna have to really lean into some stuff like conspiracy theories. One person wants me to actually go back to my old apartment and interview who lives there now to see if the ghost.
Speaker 3: Is the ghost is there maybe remote? That's not a bad idea.
Speaker 6: We'll see. But got a lot of things in the works.
Speaker 3: Shannon, and I got a couple of people tell me that Captain reed Yayden is still doing weather on Whas.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I knew he was still around. I didn't know if he was working full time maybe a little part time gig on the weekends. I'll see him one of there every now and then so I don't see the captain hat though, while he worth at the captain hat sometimes.
Speaker 3: Okay, Also Shannon, apparently Liam has been keeping a secret what's up? He was also this past season the voice of the Danville Admirals. Oh is that true? Liam?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 3: Play by play voice of the Danville Admirals.
Speaker 4: Listen, I'm a big Liam fan. He was asking me about Patty's uh settlement in Grand Rivers during the break, got me craving Western Kentucky pork chop, flower pot, bread and strawberry butter.
Speaker 6: Y'all know what that's all about. We ever been to that.
Speaker 3: I've been there one time.
Speaker 6: I think I took you on.
Speaker 3: The pork chop was like three inches thick. Oh yeah, and the strawberry butter on the rolls was to die for.
Speaker 6: The bread comes out in that flower pot, and didn't it burn down? It's after they're back there, right Liam. I think they're good. And that was a while ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they that it's way nicer now they rebuilt it. It's nicer, noon improved patties, Michael.
Speaker 6: Liam, he's got a good attitude.
Speaker 3: Eight five two two eighty seven is get our first callar? Who we got Liam, Johnny, Johnny, go ahead, Johnny.
Speaker 8: Hey, guys, I'm just one of the I don't want to and all week talking up the same topics, but I just wanted to touch on the Cassidy Read situation a little bit.
Speaker 6: I might be in the minority.
Speaker 8: I'm completely fine with what coach Brooks did. It's his team, it's his decision to make. There's another young lady on the team that had a similar conversation with coach Brooks. Nobody seems to be upset about Sinaia Tyler being asked to transfer, and nobody was upset when coach Cal asked Kevin Galloway to transfer either whenever he took the job. So I just think it's very hypocritical and nobody deserves a spot on a team because of where they were born or where.
Speaker 3: They're from and appreciate.
Speaker 8: I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, right, No, go ahead, and we'll get your other point in and we'll move on.
Speaker 8: I was also wondering if y'all heard anything any more news about the transfer portals, specifically about the baron Pierre Jr. And then the two guys.
Speaker 3: Breaking up a little bit. Yeah, okay, we'll get we'll get to the transfer portal. Maybe next segment we got some news, but.
Speaker 6: He didn't name the two big names. Best I could tell you, Yeah, the.
Speaker 3: Cassidy Roll thing is not going away. I think Matt was surprised yesterday when I told him, Man that Pete, that's to what people are talking around still about. Here. It is Thursday and we're still talking about it. The team just got beat is transfer portal season, and our first call is still about Cassidy Row. And I think he's he's right. The caller's right, like it shouldn't matter where she's from, but in this instance, it seems to matter where she's from. She's from eastern Kentucky. She's gonna be a senior. She was a you know, a cheerleader, a glue that kind of held everybody together when when they first started informed the team. There's a lot going on to it. But I think I don't know why. I can't explain it, but I think it does matter in this instance where she's from.
Speaker 4: I wonder if Kenny knew how this was gonna blow up when he uh when he made the decision to ask her to transfer, whatever actually happened behind the scenes, Because you're right, it's all anyone will talk about it, I know what. Or there's the group of people that are like, please stop talking about it because it's been talked about it so much. But it is, well all that's going on, you know, even though we're not in it. NCAA. Turner's about to ramp back up with the final four. Been talking spring football, UK baseball is going It is just Casside Row, Cassie Row, Cassidy Row. He's kind of right though about it happens like Cal ran off of an entire roster.
Speaker 3: Does happen?
Speaker 4: Some people tell you he had to be talked into keeping the ones he kept, like he wanted a completely clean slate and that would have included you know who's on that team.
Speaker 6: I guess Darius would have been a Kentucky guy. Didn't was landing Sloan? Was he? Did he get cut when Cal got here?
Speaker 3: I think he did?
Speaker 4: You know it unfortunately happens. I think it's just so much brought her with Cassidy because she committed when she was fourteen years old. I mean, it feels like she's been a part of that program for a decade now, and her dad being so active on Twitter, it's very clear they've been bleeding, blew their whole lives, and being from the area she's in, I just think that's adding to it so much.
Speaker 3: Shannon, Like I said, first call here, it is Thursday, and it's still a tot button topic on this show.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it's gonna linger for a while, and you know fans will remember that. But how do you make that go away? You just keep winning. Now, if they start the season off and they start struggling, I think that's gonna be a topic that's going to be brought back up again.
Speaker 3: And you know, I you know, I get it.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, I also understand Kentuckians we hold our own in higher regard than other players. Whether or not that's you know, what we should do or not, that's just I think that's natural. You know, if somebody from Kentucky, we want to pull for that person, we want to see them succeed. But if you're Kenny Brooks, to me, in my opinion, at the end of the day, his responsibility is put together the roster with the best players that he possibly can, regardless of where they're from.
Speaker 3: Now, Alan Cutler, my buddy had Lonnie Rowe on Cassidy's dad and Alan asked him, if Kenny Brooks was sitting here across the table, what would you say to him? And Lonnie Roll basically said something like I would ask him, don't you have a heart? Where's your heart at?
Speaker 6: I think he said I'd pray for him.
Speaker 3: I'd pray for him, Yes he did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I caught part of that interview. I mean that added to it. Lonnie wouldn't hold him back. If anyone was wondering if this is blown out of the proportion and maybe something different happened behind the scenes, him being so upset suggests that, you know, what we're hearing is what happened. What will happen though, if Kenny goes out and gets this portal class that's amazing and fills every seat with just these players that are experienced to put up big numbers, where people going, well, okay, I mean look at that, Holly.
Speaker 6: Just we get it right now.
Speaker 4: Obviously we don't know now if he goes and gets three and then there's four spots he didn't feel, that's gonna look terrible. But it would be really hard to judge until we know what he brings in and how that roster shapes out.
Speaker 3: See, I've got like people are texting me now on my a vision last text machine. This is I'm just gonna read it. So would you be okay if the men's team had a chance at the number one point guard in the portal but we could not get him because Pope wanted to let curse down the team.
Speaker 2: Well, Kerr's not from Kentucky, Travis Perry, or that'd be a better example of Travis Perry, a.
Speaker 4: Junior year Travis Perry. I mean it was stink. I love Travis Perry. He's probably been to Patty's and had the pork chop and too. But these guys are paid to do a job and they'll get fired quickly if they're not, you know, up to the standard. So I understand that they got to go out and get the best they can, even if it hurts some feelings.
Speaker 3: Let's get up one more call for we go to break who we got lamb Mickey, Mickey, Go ahead, Mickey.
Speaker 5: Mickey, God Drew, how you doing? Hey? I just wanted to say this real quick. I completely understand what the coach Brooks is done. I don't necessarily agree with it because I mean, guys, she was the first player off the bench when the game was on the line in the NCAA tournament because she could hit free throws and handle the ball. So she's not a non contributor. But I understand where he's coming from. But it is a place that we've got too that I don't particular what they care for. Just my thoughts, guys, I hang out and lifting.
Speaker 3: There we go two calls, both about cassid Row. That's why I think Matt was really surprised when I told him yesterday. Man, that's still what people are talking about around town. It's not necessarily the transfer portal.
Speaker 6: It's that next week, I'll do five days of cassider Row. You are aware. I'll keep it going, see how long we can make it last.
Speaker 3: If we do, want to give a get well shout out to our friend Ann from Estell County and maybe our oldest listener. I believe she's over one hundred years old, Shannon. I believe we found out a couple of years ago she was one hundred. She listens every single day. She's on the disabled list right now, so we need to give her a big shout out. Get well wishes and and hopefully we'll hear from you again soon. So there you go, and from Estell County. All right, well take our break, come back, go back to the phone lines eight five nine two eight oh two two eight seven. Ryan Drew and Shannon. This is Kentucky's Sports Radio. There we go. Welcome back, Ryan Drew and Shannon on Kentucky Sports Radio. Uh, we're live at cass Bar and Grill. Shannon's over in Louisville. We got a guy sitting here from Utah. Hunter.
Speaker 6: I recognized him as soon as he walked in.
Speaker 3: You get our show, you remember, yeah, Hey Hunter, Remember Shane. We did our show at Salt Lake City. He was there right at a hotel, right at a hotel lobby. They were your girlfriend, that's right. And he just walks in this morning, like, what are you doing here?
Speaker 4: Long way from home? That's a long way from Utah. When he was in Utah, he was a long way from home. I think you're from eastern Kentucky originally.
Speaker 3: Right, but he said, uh, on the way here, he got stuck in a snowstorm. What state was that in? In Wyoming? Had to spend five hours at a gas station because they closed the interstate where you.
Speaker 6: Drove from Utah.
Speaker 4: Oh, my goodness, who would drive all the way from Utah to Kentucky? Ryan, That's insane?
Speaker 3: Only idiots. And then last night the storms, he got stuck in Illinois. This dude fly next time.
Speaker 6: Still made it here to see us.
Speaker 3: Still made it. So you got family, Paduca, You're gonna be able to see them before you get it. Go home. Preston's Prestonsburg, prest Long end of the state. Sorry, so thank you Hunter thinks for coming out.
Speaker 6: Good to see hundred. Next time we drive to Salt Lake City, we'll be sure to link up again.
Speaker 3: A five nine two two eight seven. That's our phone number. Okay, before we get the phone, we're gonna talk a little transfer portal update. Yeah, Drew, any news that you're hearing rumbling, Because there's really been no firm commitment to ze out of cam Williams. He's been the only guy that verbally said he's coming.
Speaker 6: It sounds like Pope was on the move yesterday.
Speaker 4: We're all hunkered down here in Lexington except Hunter driving around in it to get here. But it sounds like Pope was in the sky. He was spotted in Dallas at the airport. Uh, the speculations he was in Dallas to meet Jason Pierre Junior. That's the new name we need to know. At it to your list of the other fifty names we've needed to know. But he was U think fourth in the country in scoring last year at Jacksonville State. Like a six to five guard. He plays all the ball. I don't know how that worked. Maybe you try to put him at point here. But he got like twenty one points a game, shot nearly forty percent from three. In the nit he scored thirty. He had games of like thirty thirty four, thirty six in the regular season. He seems to be the latest name on the portal board. And Pope was was spotted in Dallas, and the belief is that he was down there recruiting him. I guess he was on a visit to SMU, which makes.
Speaker 6: Me wonder, did we just crash this visit.
Speaker 3: After he left campus be waiting at McDonald's across the street.
Speaker 4: It's like, Okay, they paid for your hotel. Yeah, we'll meet you in the lobby and talk about another school. But the other one that we're still looking at, Yaxel Lindenberg. Yeah, love me some Yaxl, the UAB guy, big man. He's a kind of a fringe, probably early second round projection right now in the NBA, probably going to come back to college. The numbers that are being whispered about what he wants are just silly, Like I'm kind of mad. I think all this is inflated. But people are online are saying he could get up to four million. You'd go from second round projection to stay in school.
Speaker 6: For four million.
Speaker 3: I know what I'm doing.
Speaker 4: Heck yeah, again, I have some doubts about it being that high. That's what's being said. But he's he's probably the big fish that everybody would want the most. He's one of the top targets right now in the country. And uh, Pope might have met with him too, but they're tracking Pope's flame flame plane's up in Minneapolis. I guess maybe Yaxle's agent is up there, so maybe he was just meeting the agent. Maybe Yaxell was there. But Pope, man, he's just he's back at it. As we saw the last April mayish when he first got the job, every day was where's Pope today? He's he's back on his grind, chasing everybody around this year too.
Speaker 3: This Yaxle could be the best guy in the portal overall, could be one of one of the top five players in the portal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's there's talk of Alabama's all over him. Arkansas is on I mean, you name it. They want Yaxle. He's a double double guy. Uh he's I mean, all these guys have highlights. I usually tune in the highlight for a couple of minutes. I watched the whole like fifteen minute Yaxvill highlight. He's a He's a fun player that we'd love to have.
Speaker 3: He's from UAB and Chillie Donna. I guess has already posted. He thinks Alabama is gonna get it.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: He drops random memes things like that. I think he did a Bama meme last night.
Speaker 6: He was also wrong on Magoon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so everybody's not calling you out here, but everybody's been a little thrown off.
Speaker 6: It can just.
Speaker 3: Change one change overnight.
Speaker 4: One booster calls a coach and says, I want that guy. Here's the money you didn't have, and that phone cally come completely change everything. But Yaxel he averaged like eighteen and twelve at UAB.
Speaker 6: He'll be in the NBA.
Speaker 4: If not, if he doesn't stick around this year testing the waters, certainly next year, and he'd be a great fit at UK, where they certainly need a lot of forts.
Speaker 3: I think it's safe to say Kentucky's in really good shape with Yaks. I think that's safe to say.
Speaker 6: How many eyeball emojis are you putting next to it?
Speaker 3: I would have posted it last night, but after what happened with Magoon, you know, you just but like you said, they could be in really good position with him and he decides to go to Alabama or he decides to go to the NBA.
Speaker 4: Michigan's also in there, but Michigan's been a real thorn in our side. Michigan's throwing around more money than any wants speak are expected this year. Testing may up there, but they're in the Mixporur too.
Speaker 3: Well, You're not gonna be able to blame Pope for a lack of effort because he's definitely doing everything he can to get the top players, and they're going all out on Yacks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Jason Pierre Junior, who's just kind of emerged in the last couple of days.
Speaker 3: No visit with him last night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, uh, he It's weird because I don't know if Pope would try to turn him into a point guard. He played off the ball mostly at Jacksonville State.
Speaker 6: Isn't that Harper? Is he still down there? Ray Harper?
Speaker 3: He's at the Jacksonville State that plays e KU and there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's still the coach there. I guess he's a Ray Harper.
Speaker 3: Biehlenberg County Breeman.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he played off the ball there. I don't know if you'd try to turn him to the point guard here. He's a little turnover prone, but maybe Pope could dial him in. But as a score, he is electric. Like I said, it was one of the talks in the entire country.
Speaker 3: So I think the news will die down now for the next several days because the transfer portal dead period started today. I'llbet it with today, so coaches can't have any visits. They can still communicate with them, I think on social media or whatever, but they can't have any face to face visits whatever during the dead period, which picks back up probably next Tuesday.
Speaker 6: So I think was so aggressive early?
Speaker 3: Yes, why was aggressive last night? Flying around everywhere.
Speaker 4: After his coaches show even though it didn't pan out with uh or who did he visit Monday? This is the one you reported. I'm getting my portal. Remember he did the coach a show then took off to Chicago. Yes, my brain is mushed with these portal targets. But no, that was Yacks. Yeah, that meet with Yas Monday. Yeah, and he met with Yax's agent last night.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So Pope's doing as best as he can in this window. And it sounds like just national people when they're chomming in. It seems like Kentucky has the money for all these sounds like Kentucky's in a good place financially. We just got closed the deal on some of them.
Speaker 3: So don't expect any news for a couple of days unless somebody recruit decides to go ahead and commit that. Maybe he has met with some people, but I think it'll die down. Let's get one quick call where we go to break who we got Lamb?
Speaker 6: Jason?
Speaker 3: It's Jared Pierre, by the way, Karen Pierre. That's who I know. He met with him last night. Bill, who got Limb? Who's this?
Speaker 6: Bill? Go ahead? Bill? Real quick?
Speaker 7: Hey, unders nil stuff. Let's say we'd give a player a million dollars to come to Kentucky. Do they have to do anything score so many points there or get so many rebounds? Is it? Or do we just hand them the money and hope they show up.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 3: Bill, appreciate the phone call. We had a couple of football players that were getting big paycheck that didn't even hardly play. That's it. You got to give it to them, no matter what they do on the on the court, on the field. We've had other schools give big money to guys that just didn't produce during the season last year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm for players getting getting their money, but I thought the concept was you do a Clark's Pumping Shop commercial, get a little money. You wear a T shirt or sell a T shirt, you get a little money. It is just absolutely how much we pay you to come play here right now and right now. There's no contracts or agreements. They just come to school and get their bag. I mean even with curR, even though he was injured. No, I can't make a guy play when he's hurt. But you know, Kerr got his money.
Speaker 6: Put his money. It's not like they have.
Speaker 3: To want to play. What two three games.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you don't have.
Speaker 4: To check certain certain guidelines like you would have pro contract to get your bonuses. It's just hey, here's a bunch of money. Come to this school that's soon.
Speaker 3: Stop overpaying for sunglasses and check out Shady Rays Shady Raise and his independent American owned company that started writer in Kentucky. Shady Raise has premium polarized shades for every activity running, fishing, biking, golfing, you name it. From their tangle free aviators that won't get stuck in your hair to their colorish lenses that provide ultimate color enhances visibility, every member of the family can find their perfect pair. Shady Raise offers the best protection program in the industry with lost and broken replacements. So take on your next adventure with the team that has your back. Go grab a pair of their premium polarized shades and try them risk free for yourself and see why they have over three hundred thousand and five star reviews. Try the entire collection in person at their Lexington or Live location plus shop exclusively only available in store, like their blue and white collection, perfect for game days. Shade Raise good friend of ours. All right, Well take our break, we come back I got a surprise for you, guys.
Speaker 6: We'll do something.
Speaker 3: We're gonna do something. Okay, it's an it's an exercise. Oh no, I'm exercise that'll lead to homework for tomorrow show.
Speaker 6: Okay, you're giving us so you ready for that?
Speaker 2: Shannon, No, I guess we'll do it anyway though.
Speaker 3: He's Shannon, the dude who got Drew Franklin. Mario is gonna be here in just a second, Ryan, let me we'll be right back to