Speaker 1: Let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the marrow. Let's talk about it. Let's talk about the man. Hero. Welcome to the man. Welcome back to the mailroom. Jordan Runta in the house. How you doing, man, You sound a little stuffy. Maybe talk to me about what's going on in your life right now?
Speaker 3: Man, Man, I went up to Uh, visiting my folks for a Memorial Day. I grew up on a on a lake in central Massachusetts. Seems like the perfect place to do some grilling, hanging out by the dock. But I got here and the place was yellow, just palling everywhere. And I've got nuclear grade allergies.
Speaker 2: Right now, sorry, everybody, spring is sprung. No, man, I think you know you're like half a register from Berry White. We should we should lay down some tracks. No, it's all good. You wear it well, But allergies suck. I have been blessed to not have those. But yeah, bummer, yeah, do you do a lager and all that stuff?
Speaker 3: Everything right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, just the whole cocktail. See what works? Yeah? God bless you. How's your home? It was good? Ye know? Just did my run, got in the sunshine, worked on my citrus grove. I mean, all kinds of just fun California things to do. Citrus grove, what is sits grove? So I, you know, we moved back to California. I grew up here, as you know pretty much, and uh and I was gone for almost twenty years, and I said, if we're moving back, I really I gotta have an orange tree. I gotta have a lemon tree. We actually grew a lemontree in Colorado that I would take out every winter. I would bring in rather than in the summer. I would take it out and it would grow it on the deck. I mean, I was so citrus fixated because to me, that's like the sign of just you know, it's live and it's so good and fresh fortress. And I remember the first summer. It took two to three years of growing this lemitary about four or five feet. You know. It was a big ass planter and we had it on rollers so I could roll it in and out in the Colorado sun, which is amazing and it's incredible. But obviously the winter is we had to bring it inside into our little solarium. And I was growing this lemon and I was so excited. I had this beautiful lemon. It was green, it was just starting to get a little bit yellow, and then a squirrel ate it. And it was the worst. The thing that was so bad about it because I love my nature and our wildlife, but it just it hated it. It cut it, it bit it out, and it tried to eat it. It was like, this sucks. And so this lemon that I'd been nurturing for months to have my first lemon off my Colorado lemon tree, this goddamn squirrel ate it. So I was so pissed didn't get to enjoy it. And then finally, you know, got the call to come back to the UCLA, and I said, we're having trees. And so it started off with like one lime tree, and then I got a couple mire lemon trees. And now I've got navels and pomegranates, which I know is not citrus. But during my little grove, I've got grayfruit trees. I've got a couple of Eureka lemons, a couple of tangerines, cumquats kalmandan, you know those little delicious cum quite like varieties are fantastic. Yeah, So I have about thirteen or fourteen trees that I love to tend to is sort of my my outdoor therapy and getting a little bit of the sunshine. So yeah, and I'm not allergic to any of those things. So sucks to be you. Man.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, my hometown is the birthplace of Johnny appleseeds.
Speaker 2: We're an apple no way there? Yea, all right, what's your favorite apple variety? Is it? Is it cosmic crisp? Gotta go? Oh really? Okay? Yeah, I got turned on to the cosmic crisp, which are absolutely fantastic. But yeah, Fuji's are great. Yeah, they're kind of a West Coast thing. I think they're grown in Washington, but they're they're pretty delicious. So that's what I got going on.
Speaker 3: You were a man of many talents.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that.
Speaker 3: Musicians, surgeon major and grove master.
Speaker 2: Grove master. Yes, I did spend time when I was a kid. I had a really good friend whose dad had a citrus farm in Alvocado Farm, so I did learn a few things when I was growing up, and we spent the weekends down there in San Diego, so I had that. But bottom line is just great to have your own fresh citrus so cool. So that's my deal. Hey, should we do something like medical or do you want to just let's talk about citrus And well, we did start out with allergies for example C vitamin C scurvy where you get limeys. From no offense to my British listeners, by the way, I won't call you limeies anymore. I promise. That's sort of a seventeenth or eighteenth century insult. But it's a supplement that works. Vitamin C is a supplement that works, so you heard it here. Not all supplements are bad. Yeah. I I was thinking about talking about ejaculatory disorders because when we started this gig a while back, one of our first guests was Natalie Finnger Goldberg, who's a sex therapist, and we brought up premature ejaculation, brought up delayed ejaculation, touched on a little bit. But it's something that's so common in my practice that I thought maybe we actually do a little Q and A with what's on your mind, as well as a little physiology for our an anatomy I guess for that matter, for our listeners out there, just because I think it is something that you can't talk about it enough, and it just always comes up and it can be vexing for my guys as well as the partners there with. So let's talk about it. Welcome to the mailroom. Let's talk about it. Yeah, so talk to me about Well, you tell me what you know about premature ejaculation, delayed ejaculation. What's the difference between ejaculation and orgasm?
Speaker 3: For example, Okay, ejaculation actually is the release.
Speaker 2: Of boom sperm, the money shot.
Speaker 3: And orgasm is something more internal.
Speaker 2: Orgasm is the euphoric feeling of when one expels a load of semen. Yeah, so that's the difference between jaculation orgasm. So there are guys the most common are men after prostate cancer surgery where we take out their ejaculation organs, which are the seminal vescals in the prostate where the fluid is made, but they still have orgasms. Sometimes they have more intense orgasms afterwards because they don't have that fluid to expel. So the same muscles are just squeezing joy and euphoric feelings up in the brain, and so orgasm is that sensation and ejaculation is the fluid. So actually, I think that's a reasonable place to start. So I think about ejaculation an orgasm in physiologic anatomic term. So there is a nerve that is on the tip of the penis in the area we call the frenulum, which if if you're standing up looking down at your penis and you see the head right on the opposite side of that head, so at the six o'clock position, that's an incredibly sensitive part of the penis. And it's also we call an ejaculatory reflex arc, which comes about midway into your spinal corrid around T ten to T twelve somewhere in there, and it is what causes us to have a orgasm through stimulation, which would be you know, either hand, mouth, vibrator, orifice, anus, vagina, however, whatever you know, there's a lot of different ways that guys can can generate an orgasm and an ejaculation, and it does stimulate that T twelve reflex arc. And so even in guys with spinal cord injuries, interestingly enough, if their injury is above that area, they can actually still have an ejaculation and potentially an orgasm because that arc is intact. So that's the beginning of this. The deeper center for orgasm actually is in the tiny sympathetic nerve fibers that surround the prostate. And so there are guys that talk about having prostate orgasms, and that's a real thing too, because you can stimulate the nerve fibers right at the level of the prostate, usually through rectal massage. Rarely can guys do it through the perineum because it's a little bit too much skin in the way. But essentially that's the other way to have an orgasm is through prostatic massage. And now we go up to the brain and there's about five different hormones that are necessary for a guy to be able to have an orgasm in av Just guess one. You have five different ones, So just give me one. I feel like you're one of my medical students. Now. Dopamine Yeah, okay, that's yeah, damn dope mean good. Yeah, I mean, that's that's number one. Don't mean, is that feel good hormone? So that's one. Yeah, Number two. You googling this colo yep, dopamine, serotonin, oxytocin. Wow, there's two more. I mean the big one that like you know everybody and everybody and everybody's on it, the big T man testosterone. Oh, du and then the last one is prolactin. So you got the three hard ones. Yeah, yeah, So any disorder in any of those or any drugs that we take, can cause disorders and ejaculation based on how they perturb any of those levels from testosterone to dopamint to everything in between. So in order to have a good intact orgasmic response, and by the way, those are pretty much the same in women as men. All those hormones are conserved across across gender, and so even testosterone. So women that have hypo arousal disorder, it was very difficult for them to get aroused or have orgasms often have low testosterone. So you got to have hormones and you got to have nerves. And those are really the two different ways that we think about orgasm. And so when we think about disorders of orgasm and ejaculation, we think about him as a spectrum of timing. And what I mean by that is there are men that have incredibly shortened ejaculatory responses where they what we often refer to as premature ejaculation or rapid ejaculation, where briefly after stimulation, sometimes even prior to penetrative intercourse, a man will ejaculate and that is almost always a reflex issue. And when I try to unshame this and a guy comes into me, because again this is something guys get judged with, they get compared to other partners. It's an incredibly shameful thing for guys to go through, and it doesn't have to be the reason for that is that that when I went to medical school and I did my rotations, one of the rotations that we did is a neurology where we all walked around with their reflex hammers. Maxwell's silver hammer for Beatles fans out there, which I think he used for very different purposes, but it probably started off as a reflex hammer, and there's this little rubber mallet that you would hit right under the knee cap, and that that was a great way to test our reflexes. I'm sure at Viera, any high school physical everybody remembers sitting down in the doctor's office with their knees hanging over the bed and she or he hit your reflex and you kicked your knee out, and we graded that from zero to two, I believe, or two plus where a guy could be hyper reflexic. So those knees. That knee reflex and the same thing we can do in the elbow is very important for our ability to know how well we're doing neurologically. And if a guy has diminished reflex or hyper reflects here, there could be a neurologic condition. Well, I kind of look at ejaculation the same way, because I just said that reflex arc at the tip of the penis is very important for determining how much stimulation you need to form an ejaculation. Some guys the wind blows funny boom, you know, they ejaculate. Some guys they can have penetrated sex for minutes upon hours and not be able to ejaculate, and a lot of that is delayed reflex. So that's the way I look at this. I talk about physiology, and you know, I'm good friends and colleagues with Natalie find Get Goldberg, who we had on a few episodes ago twenty odd and we talk about that a lot of my sex therapists, you know, they want me to correct the physiology so that they can deal with the psychological manifestations of the physiologic or anatomic abnormality. So whether it's about the size of a guy's penis or whether it's about how quickly they ejaculate, there are things I can do anatomically and physiologic to improve those. So then my therapists job is a little bit more I don't know, synergistic. We work together better that way. So that's the anatomy the physiology of an ejaculation in six short minutes. I'm just guessing on the time. So what can go wrong? So a guy can either come too fast or he can not come at all, And what can we do to treat all of those? And so I think what I would love for you to do, because I just feel like I talk all the time, Jordan, I want you to put on your journalist hat and pretend like I'm not Ringo star, but you know, as a Rolling Stone journalist extraordinary, you know in your former life interview me. Tell me what you want to know about ejaculation, the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Speaker 3: Well, what are the most common issues that you see in your practice.
Speaker 2: I think the majority of guys, and I think this bears out in the literature and surveys, is that most men are more concerned with premature ejaculation. It is something that especially happens, we think in younger people, and often it starts off with less experienced men because all of this is new to them and their nerves, and so it's something that is prevalent, and there are all kinds of treatments out there, including a lot of off label things that we use. In fact, there's actually no FDA approved drug for premature ejaculation, So whatever I write for, if I'm writing a prescription, it's not going to be FDA approved. But yeah, I would say premature ejaculation is the most common one. So the first thing I want to do is rule out any other things going on. You know, I do a full evaluation. Often I will even check hormones because a you know, I just don't want to miss anything. But most of the time the guy with premature ejaculation is perfectly healthy. Otherwise it doesn't really indicate any other underlying hormonal pathology or any neurologic dysfunction, And it's just a matter of how do we diminish that trigger, how do we diminish that T twelve reflex arc or that pathway at the frenulum. And so for me, the common treatment for this is is to do something to diminish the sensitivity, not to the point where the guy is numb, or not to the point where he could spread any treatment I give to him to his partner, especially having penis and vagina sex or P and V sex. But there are really good over the counter topical creams and sprays. You can get them online. You can get them at CVS target, I think, anywhere that and I don't endorse any of these, but they're pretty easy to find and Google is to help decrease that sensitivity so that when a man's having direct stimulation of that area, they don't have that quick trigger. And so I think that's first line anybody. It's safe, it's effective, and most of the time guys don't complain that it gets to the point where they can't have any sensitivity at all. It's just enough so they can have incredibly meaningful sex and last longer than they would without it at all. So that's my first line therapy.
Speaker 3: Now do you see have you noticed in your practice that younger men these days are having more issues with ejaculation than men previously.
Speaker 2: You know, I think it's what it is is just becoming much more prevalent and much more talked about. And you know, one thing we also didn't talk about, which is huge in the zeitgeist is ejaculate volume and this idea of loadmaxing and shooting ropes. And again that goes back to what it all goes back to. It seems like on when we talk about sex on this podcast, is what are your expectations based on what you see on the internet or in pornography, And so it goes back to the athleticism of some of our adult entertainers that are able to ejaculate volumes of semen and be able to hold their ejaculation through what seems like interminable sexual relations, and that to the average guy, especially some that it's not so sexually experienced, thinks that that is what they aspire for. And again, as we talk about so often in the show, most people, especially well I should say most people that have vaginas are not orgasming through penetrative intercourse, and so sometimes too much can actually be too much, and so this is not the goal as to how long they are you able to hold out before you orgasm. But if you do have a partner that does orgasm through vaginal intercourse and you can time it, then this idea of simultaneous climax is a pretty great aspirational thing, but functionally it doesn't really happen that often and is something more in romance novels uh and fireworks on scene. So again, don't aspire for something that probably doesn't exist that often in nature.
Speaker 3: Back it up a little bit and talked about too soon, too late for lack of that in real numbers, what is a realistic what is the normal amount of time?
Speaker 2: And I hate you we're normal, but yeah, I love it. No, Actually, there are there are clinical definitions of what we consider premature ejaculation, and really the best definition I have is that anytime that a patient or his partner is not satisfied with the length of time prior to ejaculation and orgasm, that is what I would consider not long enough. Because there are some guys that that again have such severe I think is reasonable to say premature ejaculation, rapid ejaculation, that they're having an orgasm prior to even having penetrative sex. And so that's on one end of the spectrum. The typically greed upon term is you know, somewhere under a couple minutes, you know, the average sexual exponse from insertion. Again, this is based on penis and vagina sex for the most part, because that's what we have standardized questionnaires for. Unfortunately, we don't have great other alternative methods of having sex for anal and oral intercourse, but it is this two minute to five minutes is kind of a normal time from insertion to orgasm, and so that means anything greater than that. If, again, it's causing discomfort to either the patient or the partner, then that could be delayed ejaculation. And so really the sweet spot depends on the couple. You know, for some it's the partner comes first, and then it's just a matter of the man or the person with the penis that is able to finish whenever at their leisure. Because the other person has already achieved orgasm, then premature ejaculation delayed ejaculation becomes less of an issue.
Speaker 3: And there are some men who struggle to orgasm during partnered sex even though when they're alone. That is not a problem of performance anxiety or any kind of other psychological issues. Are there some physiological reasons for that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there are. I mean I think that I kind of not joke about it, but I do want people to kind of think about the fact that if a man has been used to the feeling of his own hand and grip strength for a long period of time and spends a lot of time in masturbation, then that's a feeling and that's a neurologic conditioned response that when he goes to have penetrative intercourse with the partner, it may not feel the same way to those nerves, and so there can be a desensitization to that. I'm not here to judge on what the appropriate amount or the ratio of a single versus partnered sex should be, because I don't think amy has an answer that, except for if it becomes a problem where it's pathologic and somebody is having more partnered or more solo sex than partnered sex, and the partner's like, hey, what's going on, then that becomes a problem. But for sure, it's not as simple as just a psychological issue of saying I can orgasm with my partner, but I can by myself. But it can be definitely a relationship issue that needs to be explored, and really the therapy for that depends. Sometimes it is sex therapy, sometimes it is not having solo sex and manual sex for a period of time and then engaging in normal penetrative intercourse with a partner. That can help some guys through this. But yes, a conditioned response is for sure, and it's a neurologic issue. And if you desensitize the penis or you get used to only one sensation to orgasm, it's the same thing with positions. I mean, there's some men that can only orgasm in one position versus another position, and it's that same condition response. Some of that isn't pathologic as long as you're okay with it. In other words, as long as as you and your partner are okay and you're both sexually satisfied, then everything else is just judgment. And we don't judge here, man. I guess dovetail with that.
Speaker 3: There's a phrase it's become very buzzy of seeing on the internet lately. I was curious, if it's crossed your path and your practice death grip syndrome, does that mean anything to you?
Speaker 2: Well, I can only imagine. But obviously we have different feeds, you know, mostly I mostly get updates on my sabermetrics, on my Dodgers and my in basket, but Okay, Jordan. Again, I'm not judging that I've not had any death grip syndrome feet, but it sounds like, yeah, guys are probably using way too much man old grip strength in order to induce an orgasm, so they're used to that incredible level of grip strength or just the right amount of stimulation, which again goes back to the whole deal is if you're only doing it one way, then that can condition that response so that that's the only way you're ever going to orgasm and your partners don't stand a chance. And I think that is much more common than we think, and one that probably does take a lot of retraining and maybe a little bit of sex therapy, but mostly probably neurologic reconditioning so that they can have a better sex life and not induce death grip syndrome in order to have that same ejaculatory response. That's sad. Yeah, I haven't heard of death grip syndrome, but boy, but now I can't unthink it or unsee it. Probably, and I'll go back to my office today and have three guys that have death grip syndrome in my clinic because of you.
Speaker 3: Now, death grip weren't they one of the big four in the post punk.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right exactly. They were. They open for Circle Jerks. So there you have it, death Grip syndrome. If not, we're doing it. We're starting our own band right now. DGS Baby catch DGS at CBGB's Oh yeah, seventy eight that show. I was there, man, I was in the front row with the Red Hot Chili Peppers wearing socks on their dick. Yeah, I think you're thinking of Death Grip for cuty I mean, they really launched this entire choking vocals kind of indie punk sort of thing. It was. It's really big in the late nineties, early two thousand's Death Grip for Cutie. I think they're probably Hall of famers by this point. Oh man, we could go on.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we're keeping all of this.
Speaker 2: Of course we are. Yeah, because again, I mean the theme of this is also you're probably gonna be okay that there are so many treatments, so we you know, getting past past what we were talking about with the premature. And I'm by the way, not trying to reroute you at all, because I could talk punk rock forever, but you know, somewhat a medical show. I think we're still in that category, haven't quite got to the entertainment level yet. But rerouting to thinking about premature ejaculation, So topical spraise, topical creams first line. But there is a whole branch of relatively good data on looking at starting guys on SSRIs, which you talked about as one of the hormones in that ejaculatory pathway serotonin. So if you can modulate serotonin levels through taking the drugs that we usually prescribe for antidepression, that could be a game changer for some guys. And I think that's really really interesting, and I've certainly used those over the twenty odd years I've been treating guys with premature ejaculation to a good effect, and you often do. I always started a lower dose, and again this by no means as medical advice, just so we know this, but if you were in my office and you were actually my patient, I do often start at a lower dose then I would when a guy would be treating depression with antidepressants, and sometimes that can be effective at just taking that serotonin level to the point where where a guy's ejaculatory threshold gets up a little bit takes a little more stimulation to make that release and to cause that orgasmic cascade which then leads to ejaculation. So SSRIs are I would say first to second line therapy for this and the other therapy that some people have tried is more of a dopamine modulator, and that's something called ultram tramadol Is is a generic name. Now, problem with tramadoll is it's also considered a little bit along the controlled substance narcotic pathway, and so it never I was years ago part of a clinical trial or an advisory board looking at bringing tramadol on at a slightly different dose than what we use for postoperative pain as a as an premature ejaculation FDA approved drug, and it ran into a couple of problems. One is, it was already generic, so there was no market for this because you could write for it anyway, and it was pennies on the pennies on the dollar. But two is because the concern is that it could be habit forming, and it was never really panned out very much as being habit for me, especially at the dosing and the on demand way that we would prescribe it. For a pre mature ejaculation because you just took it ahead of sexual accounter, just like you would take a drug like sildentiphil or to dalaphil for rectile dysfunction. But again it never got AFTY approved. Only thing made to a clinical trial may not have even made it past that advisory board because you know, I think from a financial standpoint, it's really tough to go to the FDA and getting a drug approved that already as an indication and as generic there's just no notion, just no money in it. But Tramadah will be another one that some people use. There also are medical devices out and there are a couple of these that do have that I think are pending FDA clearics that are available overseas that essentially are like nerve stimulators that you wear behind the testicles in that area that we lovingly referred to as the taint or the perineum, where you place a little patch that's the size of a poster stamp, and it actually hyper polarizes or causes the nerves to fire a little bit less aggressively and it can delay the ejaculatory response. And the clinical trials and that are actually pretty good, and so that's a device that will be a disposable that again somebody wire just prior to intercourse, and it can be so discreete that your partner may not even know that you have it because it's so small. It's just a couple of little electrodes, and it's safe. It's not going to shock you or anything. But it is something that can cause a little neurostimulation to delay ejaculation. So I'm kind of interested in that. Again, don't have right now, have no financial interest in any of the companies or no consulting for any of those companies, but certainly as an observer and an intellectual, I think that could be a new future for guys with premature ejaculation.
Speaker 3: That's interesting that you prescribe BSSRIS for us. So I was going to ask you about what happens because you hear all these stories about people being put on anidepressants and then the libida goes down right in extreme cases or yeah, extreme cases, perhaps I should ask you how do you deal with kind of the inverse of that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean I think that's a big problem. So that goes back to why we discovered this would be an interesting therapy for guys with premature ejaculations. The guys are on full depressant doses. So you know what, I have not been able to have an orgasm since I've been on these medications, and my depressions better, but now I'm kind of upset about this untoward side effect. And so there is a balance, and there are a couple of medications that do better for treating depression that have less orgasmic effects, and those you can certainly talk to your primary or psychiatrists prescribing and they'll know what they are that that you can try those instead, because they have some of them have dopamine pathways and some of them have nor epinephrin pathways, and so they do modulate different than just pure serotonin reuptake inhibitors, and so so that's definitely where that having a conversation on. And when I see a guy that's on more traditional pure SSRI, that might be my first thing is check back in with your psychiatrists, because there maybe something out there that is a little bit better for sexual function that still gives you the benefit of not having the depressive sentence I got you on that medication in the first place. So yeah, there are better alternatives out there than the classic SSRIs that have been out for thirty five years now at least.
Speaker 3: Are there any ways that you could think of offhand that men well meaning who are maybe too shy to go speak to a doctor about this, will try to help their own treat their own what they may be used performance anxiety or rectile dysfunction or ejaculatory disorders and actually accident and make it worse. There things that guys should absolutely not do. That maybe are myths out there that are our old wives tales that people should steer clear of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I guess for ejaculatory dysfunction or erecti dysfunction, there really are very few and no reasonable supplements that I would recommend. So I'm sure it's just it's a scary, scary world out there. And again a lot of the supplements that are on the erectodysfunction pathway, especially ones that may have any effect at all, have contraband still dentifiled to dala fill in them. So the ED the pharmacologic ED drugs are in there, and I would hasten and hazard to guess that that maybe some of the vitamins or supplements that people would be marketing for premature ejaculation may have ssriyes in them and in the same level, don't know that at all. But Sirch stands to reason that if you can go to a truck stop and buy a truck stop viagra that actually has viagrant is not just horny goat weed and gin sing and el citraline or something, it does actually have an active FDA approved ingredient. And I bet they're doing the same thing on premature ejaculation. So the answer is, yeah, don't just don't know, go talk to your physician about it and get on a real pathway that even if it's off label like the SSRIs are for premature ejaculation, it's still possible. And that really the same with delayed ejaculation. And I think the other thing that we talked about with Natalie finding a goldberg that I think is really interesting is that there may be a role for pelic floor physical therapy and both improving ejaculatory response from a premature or a delayed ejaculation standpoint. And there are pelvic floor exercises that can make us have a little better control of our ejaculatory response. So again I would go to pelvic therapy before I think about buying any supplements that would report that or any medical devices that don't have any good data behind them. So yeah, be careful what you come across because it's an incredible market out there of things that you can try that really don't have efficacy, and potentially some of them have dangers, like hidden prescription drugs that you may have a response to. For example, if you're already on an antidepressent, you still have premature ejaculation, then you take a drug that may have or a supplement that may have snuck in some you know, that could not be great to be overdosing on that same thing. As if you're taking any drug and then you take another one at a truck stop, or if you have heart conditions that you need to take medications where those drugs are absolutely contraindicated. Yeah, he could end up really harming yourself. So yeah, really be careful of anything that you see over the counter and anything in the supplement world, anything you can buy online.
Speaker 3: It was a broad question, but I'm interested in your take on it. What is the healthiest way to think about ejaculation and performance because I feel like so much of it is people getting in their own heads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know. I think it goes back to if it's with a partner, it's having that communication, you know, and what feels good to both you and the partner, and then having that discussion, especially if you have a history of having either difficulty achieving orgasm or premature orgasm. Those are two things that your partner should know because a lot of people will take it personally if a guy has delayed orgasm and they're with a new partner and he has a physiologic or neurologic reason, or he is on medication that he has to be on, and you don't communicate that upfront, and you're ten minutes, fifteen minutes, thirty minutes, sixty minutes into an in session of intercourse and it hasn't happened. That person may take it personally if you didn't say, hey, look, I just got to let you know ahead of time. This is kind of an issue for me. So again, it goes back to communication being the most important thing to any sexual encounter, either pre game, intro game, or postgame, and especially postgame. If you find something that really did work, then you want to be able to talk about that and say, hey, this was really effective for me. This was great. You got to let that partner know, so you got to know what to look forward to next time.
Speaker 3: The main takeaway from a lot of these episodes lately has been talk about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, let's talk about it. These are things that also that it's so hard to talk about. And I again, I always go back to how grateful I am for the career I have where men are able to come to me and speak with me and talk with me about these conditions that they may not have had that conversation with their partners yet. And some times I hear back from them and say, you know what, that was actually the best thing we ever did is we sat down, we talk about it. And my advice I always hear from my sex therapy colleagues is that you want to talk about sex not in the bedroom. You want to talk about it somewhere else and then bring it to the bedroom. So you know, if you're going through your x's and o's and your chalk talk, you do that in the locker room, and then you get on the field and you play your game. So don't start doing a game plan mid game. Don't call audibles, and sex. That seems very restrictive. Maybe I don't want to say that, maybe you should call audibles and sex, but I think only when you're to the point where you communicate and you're such a field marshal that you have commanded the situation, that you can do that. But for the most part, it's really good to talk about this so that everybody's expectations are on the same playing field, the same level, to know what we're all getting ourselves into this with this beast with two backs. Damn we got Shakespeare today, Jordan Wow right to flow host punk and Shakespeare host Punk and Shakespeare, same episode. You heard it on the mail, So yeah, I think right. For all of these things, it's it is just knowing that there are therapies out there, also knowing that, especially for delayed orgasm, the medical therapies are very very limited. You know, we really just we have zero FDA proved. But there are some things at work, you know. One of the things we talked about is prolactin is one of the hormones that has to be at a good level for an orgasm, and if you have your prolactin levels too high, it can actually inhibit orgasm. So there are medications off label used for other reasons that you may have some success with. The classic one is something called kabergoline, which lowers the prolactin levels. We use it for guys that have or women too, that have pituitary tumors where they're secreting too much prolactin, and we knew that again, that's another cause of delayed ejaculation that you should see your doctor about, because if you had normal orgasm, normal orgasm. Let me tell you a story. Actually I remember this when I was in fellowships this twenty plus years ago, and I saw a very nice he was a PhD student and very smart, obviously, and he was in his thirties and they were coming to us for fertility issues and the main problem was that he couldn't provide a sperm sample, nor could he orgasm with his partner. And the partner was taking it very personally, as would happen, and he said, look at this has never been a problem before, but all of a sudden, I've not been able to orgasm. And I said, well, that's interesting. I mean, no saddle traumas, you're not riding your bike six hundred miles a day. You're not doing any don't have any numbness, No, no numbness. Everything's fine, no pelvic trauma. And we test all his blood work is to stostern levels, all of his hormones, and then we also tested his prolactin, and his prolactin came back in the five hundred range, which normal is anything less than sixteen. And so this guy had a pathologically highest secretion of prolactin, which prompted us to do an MRI of his pituitarylant because that's what you gotta do. And he had a big, fat tumor on his pituitary plant called a prolactinoma. That's the most common reversible cause other than medications of delayed ejaculation or change in orgasm is prolactinoma. And it's not cancer. It's treatable often with medication. And guess what the medication is, Kerbergline. And so we actually can take a guy with a brain tumor, which sounds horrific, and then reduce it by putting them on a drug that makes the tumor shrink, makes the prolactin levels go down. And this couple was not only able to he was able to have an orgasm, but they really able to ejaculate and make babies a good old fashioned way just because he had this this strange tumor. And I actually, you know, in my practice where certainly I take care of thousands of guys every year, but every you know, I would say two to three times a year, I will pick up a prolactinoma. So it's not the rarest thing in the world by any means, and so so kerbergline, we use off label to treat guys with an orgasm or difficulty achieving orgasm, even if they're proactin level are just a little bit high or even high normal. And there's studies out there on this, again not FDA approved, very off label, but relatively safe side effects. And so with proper patient counseling and selection, that is probably one of the more common things we see to help guys that delate ejaculation. But you got to make sure they're not anything more serious going on. First, the other crazy one, which isn't so crazy, but also because you either did your homework or just new you talked about something called oxytocin, which is part of those hormones, and there are guys that have low oxytocin that they may benefit from oxytocin supplementation, usually through a nasal spray, which also has There's a British Medical Journal article from like two thousand and six, so this is again not cutting edge by any means, but showing that guys that have delayed ejaculation by taking an intra nasal spray of oxytocin mid coitus. So it's almost kind of like, hang on, babe, I got to switch over here and just take a little puff, and that actually, because oxytocin is such a short half life, like on the order of about eight minutes, that it actually can improve that ejaculatory threshold and cause orgasm. I've had very limited success with that, but the guys that it worked for, they're super happy because it's safe. There's really no downside to it. And this is a compounded drug, is not there is no pharmaceutical form of oxytosin, so you have to get it from a specialized compounding pharmacy. But you can certainly talk to your local doc or your local sex med specialist probably to at least try a trial of oxytocin nasal spray or they have trophies under the tongue as well, but I think the nasal spray is the only one that's actually been really studied. So you got to make sure you're getting it from a great pharmacy that has a good track record, and another thing to potentially try to help improve that anargasmy or difficulty achieving ejaculation. I had heard of.
Speaker 3: Oxytosins supplements, I did not know that it was administered that way.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, yeah, so again you're probably gonna be okay. Rule out the bad stuff. Number one. All we do in medicine, and the reason the only thing I have against telehealth or direct to consumer medical or supplement sales is you have to do the evaluation because no matter what condition we're going to talk about on the show, you need a good high level medical exam, most likely a physical exam, very most likely blood work before you can just treat this stuff and not worry about it. Because what if you did have something that needed medical treatment that could be reversible, could be serious if you didn't reverse it, and you just started getting brown paper bags in your mailbox every month, So not cool. You don't want to do that. You want to make sure you get the evaluation and you have a good doc that's in your corner, well, said my friend. Yeah, man, So we started with orange trees, ended up with some punk rock, and I was basically able to solve the entire problem of too much too soon or not enough too late. And we did it again on the mail room. That's what we do here, my friend, Joran, this is too much fun. I mean, I love our guests. I also just love hanging with you and talking through this stuff. So we should probably it again sometime. I'll let you get back to fighting your allergies and breathing in that beautiful Massachusetts lake air go, we're you gonna go fishing? Do you fish up there at all? I do fish? Actually, yeah, I got some bass up here. No, it's nice up here. Oh yeah, well that's right because you yeah, you were deep sea fishing in the Keys and now you're bass fishing. That's not bad, all right.
Speaker 3: Next career is a sushi chef.
Speaker 2: There you go. I love that. I love that. Well, everybody, thanks again for hanging out with us on the mail route. Thanks to iHeart Radio for making this all possible, and our sponsors and Jordan Runt above all thanks for making it all sounds slick man. Have a good one, Doctor Mills, thanks for doing it with us. We love you. Let's talk about it. Let's talk about the man. Let's talk about it. Let's talk about him. The Man.
Speaker 1: About the Mailroom with Doctor Jesse Mills was a production of iHeart Radio. It was executive produced by Jordan Runtog. It was edited, mixed, and mastered by Beheid Fraser, and the theme was provided by long Transit. If you like what you heard, please subscribe and leave a review. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, check out the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. This program is intended for educational and informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Consult your healthcare provider for any medical or other related questions or concerns. The views and discussions aired on this podcast are those of doctor Mills and do not represent the official positions of UCLA or UCLA Health